Genomes and Genes
Summary: The 10th cranial nerve. The vagus is a mixed nerve which contains somatic afferents (from skin in back of the ear and the external auditory meatus), visceral afferents (from the pharynx, larynx, thorax, and abdomen), parasympathetic efferents (to the thorax and abdomen), and efferents to striated muscle (of the larynx and pharynx).
Publications335 found, 100 shown here
- Vagus nerve stimulation attenuates the systemic inflammatory response to endotoxinL V Borovikova
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 405:458-62. 2000..Activation of afferent vagus nerve fibres by endotoxin or cytokines stimulates hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal anti-inflammatory responses...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is an essential regulator of inflammationHong Wang
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 421:384-8. 2003..The nervous system, through the vagus nerve, can inhibit significantly and rapidly the release of macrophage TNF, and attenuate systemic inflammatory ..
- The inflammatory reflexKevin J Tracey
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore LIJ Research Institute, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 420:853-9. 2002..The opportunity now exists to apply this insight to the treatment of inflammation through selective and reversible 'hard-wired' neural systems...
- Acetylcholine-synthesizing T cells relay neural signals in a vagus nerve circuitMauricio Rosas-Ballina
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Science 334:98-101. 2011Neural circuits regulate cytokine production to prevent potentially damaging inflammation. A prototypical vagus nerve circuit, the inflammatory reflex, inhibits tumor necrosis factor-α production in spleen by a mechanism requiring ..
- Ingestion of Lactobacillus strain regulates emotional behavior and central GABA receptor expression in a mouse via the vagus nerveJavier A Bravo
Laboratory of Neurogastroenterology, Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:16050-5. 2011....
- Stimulation of the vagus nerve attenuates macrophage activation by activating the Jak2-STAT3 signaling pathwayWouter J de Jonge
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Immunol 6:844-51. 2005..In a mouse model of intestinal manipulation, stimulation of the vagus nerve ameliorated surgery-induced inflammation and postoperative ileus by activating STAT3 in intestinal macrophages...
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) for treatment-resistant depression: efficacy, side effects, and predictors of outcomeH A Sackeim
Department of Biological Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 25:713-28. 2001This open pilot study of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) in 60 patients with treatment-resistant major depressive episodes (MDEs) aimed to: 1) define the response rate; 2) determine the profile of side effects; and, most importantly; 3) ..
- The vagus nerve and the nicotinic anti-inflammatory pathwayLuis Ulloa
Center of Immunology and Inflammation, Institute for Medical Research, North Shore University Hospital, 350 Community Drive, New York 11030, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 4:673-84. 2005..Recent studies indicate that the vagus nerve (which is the longest of the cranial nerves and innervates most of the peripheral organs) can modulate the ..
- The vagus nerve: a tonic inhibitory influence associated with inflammatory bowel disease in a murine modelJean Eric Ghia
Intestinal Diseases Research Programme, Health Science Center, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 131:1122-30. 2006The recently proposed Inflammatory Reflex describes an interaction between the vagus nerve and peripheral macrophages, resulting in attenuation of proinflammatory cytokine release in response to systemic exposure to bacterial endotoxin...
- Vagus nerve stimulation protects against ventricular fibrillation independent of muscarinic receptor activationKieran E Brack
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Cardiology Group, University of Leicester, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, UK
Cardiovasc Res 91:437-46. 2011..For this purpose, NO release and electrophysiological effects of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) were evaluated in relation to acetylcholine and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)...
- The vagus nerve and nicotinic receptors modulate experimental pancreatitis severity in miceDavid J van Westerloo
Laboratory of Experimental Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 130:1822-30. 2006The nervous system, through the vagus nerve, controls inflammation by decreasing the release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha from endotoxin stimulated macrophages...
- Chronic vagus nerve stimulation improves autonomic control and attenuates systemic inflammation and heart failure progression in a canine high-rate pacing modelYouhua Zhang
Department of Molecular Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, USA
Circ Heart Fail 2:692-9. 2009..We have investigated the impact of enhancing vagal tone (achieved through chronic cervical vagus nerve stimulation, [VNS]) on HF development in a canine high-rate ventricular pacing model.
- Ghrelin suppresses inflammation and neuronal nitric oxide synthase in focal cerebral ischemia via the vagus nerveCletus Cheyuo
The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Community Dr, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Shock 35:258-65. 2011..However, the effect of ghrelin in permanent focal cerebral ischemia and the role of the vagus nerve in its action remain unknown...
- Increased extracellular concentrations of norepinephrine in cortex and hippocampus following vagus nerve stimulation in the ratRodney W Roosevelt
Brain and Cognitive Sciences Program, Department of Psychology, Southern Illinois University, IL 62901 6512, USA
Brain Res 1119:124-32. 2006The vagus nerve is an important source of afferent information about visceral states and it provides input to the locus coeruleus (LC), the major source of norepinephrine (NE) in the brain...
- Hypothalamic leptin signaling regulates hepatic insulin sensitivity via a neurocircuit involving the vagus nerveJonathan German
Department of Medicine, University of Washington at South Lake Union, 815 Mercer Street, Box 358055, Seattle, Washington 98195
Endocrinology 150:4502-11. 2009..We conclude that hypothalamic leptin action increases peripheral insulin sensitivity primarily via effects on the liver and that the mechanism underlying this effect is dependent on the hepatic branch of the vagus nerve.
- Vagus nerve stimulation increases norepinephrine concentration and the gene expression of BDNF and bFGF in the rat brainPaolo Follesa
Department of Experimental Biology, Section of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Brain Res 1179:28-34. 2007b>Vagus nerve stimulation therapy, effective for treatment-resistant epilepsy, has recently been approved also for treatment-resistant depression; nevertheless, the molecular mechanism(s) underlying its therapeutic action remains unclear...
- RR interval variability is inversely related to inflammatory markers: the CARDIA studyRichard P Sloan
Behavioral Medicine Program, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Mol Med 13:178-84. 2007Recent evidence reveals that the immune system is under the direct control of the vagus nerve via the "cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway...
- Splenic nerve is required for cholinergic antiinflammatory pathway control of TNF in endotoxemiaMauricio Rosas-Ballina
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:11008-13. 2008..We have previously shown that efferent vagus nerve signals regulate cytokine production through the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha7, a mechanism ..
- Vagal nerve stimulation markedly improves long-term survival after chronic heart failure in ratsMeihua Li
Department of Cardiovascular Dynamics, Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Suita, Japan
Circulation 109:120-4. 2004..We investigated the effects of chronic electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve on cardiac remodeling and long-term survival in an animal model of CHF after large myocardial infarction.
- The human respiratory gateDwain L Eckberg
Department of Medicine, Hunter Holmes McGuire Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
J Physiol 548:339-52. 2003..I propose that the most enduring significance of respiratory gating is its use as a precisely controlled experimental tool to tease out and better understand otherwise inaccessible human autonomic neurophysiological mechanisms...
- Transient receptor potential channels mediate the tussive response to prostaglandin E2 and bradykininMegan Grace
Respiratory Pharmacology Group, Pharmacology and Toxicology Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Thorax 67:891-900. 2012..However, how this occurs is not understood...
- The role of vagal function in the risk for cardiovascular disease and mortalityJulian F Thayer
Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biol Psychol 74:224-42. 2007....
- The vagus nerve is one route of transneural invasion for intranasally inoculated influenza a virus in miceK Matsuda
Laboratory of Comparative Pathology, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0818, Japan
Vet Pathol 41:101-7. 2004..that the route of invasion of virus into the CNS was via the peripheral nervous system, especially the vagus nerve. To evaluate the transvagal transmission of the virus, we intranasally inoculated unilaterally vagectomized ..
- Vagus nerve integrity and experimental colitisJean Eric Ghia
McMaster University Medical Center, 1200 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G560-7. 2007..These findings indicate that although vagal integrity is an important protective factor, other counterinflammatory mechanisms come into play if vagal integrity is compromised beyond 2 wk...
- Central activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway reduces surgical inflammation in experimental post-operative ileusFo The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 163:1007-16. 2011Electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve reduces intestinal inflammation following mechanical handling, thereby shortening post-operative ileus in mice...
- Efferent vagal fibre stimulation blunts nuclear factor-kappaB activation and protects against hypovolemic hemorrhagic shockSalvatore Guarini
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Pharmacology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Circulation 107:1189-94. 2003..We investigated whether electrical stimulation (STIM) of efferent vagus nerves may suppress nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB activation and the inflammatory cascade in hemorrhagic (Hem) shock...
- Effect of vagus nerve stimulation on serotonergic and noradrenergic transmissionAdrienne E Dorr
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, 1033 Pine Ave West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 318:890-8. 2006b>Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) is an antiepileptic treatment, which has recently shown promise as an antidepressant. Yet, its antidepressant mechanisms of action are unknown...
- Therapeutic mechanisms of vagus nerve stimulationThomas R Henry
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Woodruff Memorial Research Building, Suite 6000, Emory University, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neurology 59:S3-14. 2002..into the acute abortive, acute prophylactic, and chronic progressive prophylactic, anti-seizure effects of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) observed in human epilepsies, and demonstrate antiepileptogenic effects of VNS in the ..
- Pharmacological stimulation of the cholinergic antiinflammatory pathwayThomas R Bernik
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore LIJ Research Institute, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Exp Med 195:781-8. 2002Efferent activity in the vagus nerve can prevent endotoxin-induced shock by attenuating tumor necrosis factor (TNF) synthesis...
- Prostaglandin E2 mediates cough via the EP3 receptor: implications for future disease therapySarah A Maher
Respiratory Pharmacology, Airways Diseases, Imperial College London, Faculty of Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:923-8. 2009..Inhaled prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) is antiinflammatory and a bronchodilator in patients with asthma, but it also causes cough...
- A brain-liver circuit regulates glucose homeostasisAlessandro Pocai
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Research and Training Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cell Metab 1:53-61. 2005..activation of ATP-dependent potassium channels (K(ATP)) and descending fibers within the hepatic branch of the vagus nerve. Thus, hypothalamic lipid sensing potently modulates glucose metabolism via neural circuitry that requires the ..
- Effects of 12 months of vagus nerve stimulation in treatment-resistant depression: a naturalistic studyA John Rush
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:355-63. 2005..The need for effective, long-term treatment for recurrent or chronic, treatment-resistant depression is well established...
- Anti-inflammatory effect of vagus nerve stimulation in a rat model of inflammatory bowel diseaseJ Meregnani
Stress et Interactions Neuro Digestives, Grenoble Institut des Neurosciences, INSERM U UJF CEA CHU, Universite Joseph Fourier, France
Auton Neurosci 160:82-9. 2011b>Vagus nerve stimulation of afferents is used as an adjunctive treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy and depression...
- Neural crest regionalisation for enteric nervous system formation: implications for Hirschsprung's disease and stem cell therapyDongcheng Zhang
Embryology Research Group, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Parkville 3052, Victoria, Australia
Dev Biol 339:280-94. 2010..This has important implications for proposed NC stem cell therapy for Hirschsprung's disease, since such cells may need to be optimised for positional identity...
- Far field potentials from brain stem after transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation: optimization of stimulation and recording parametersThomas Polak
Laboratory for Psychophysiology and Functional Imaging, Department of Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, Julius Maximilians University, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Neural Transm 116:1237-42. 2009..participants, VSEP measurement was done by electrical stimulation of the cutaneous representation of the vagus nerve in the external auditory channel and recording of VSEP over the scalp...
- Vagus nerve activity augments intestinal macrophage phagocytosis via nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha4beta2Esmerij P van der Zanden
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 137:1029-39, 1039.e1-4. 2009The vagus nerve negatively regulates macrophage cytokine production via the release of acetylcholine (ACh) and activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR)...
- Electrical vagus nerve stimulation and nicotine effects in peritonitis-induced acute lung injury in ratsClaire Boland
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Inflammation 34:29-35. 2011..The potential beneficial role of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) remains to be clarified in established sepsis...
- Activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway ameliorates postoperative ileus in miceFrans O The
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 133:1219-28. 2007We previously showed that intestinal inflammation is reduced by electrical stimulation of the efferent vagus nerve, which prevents postoperative ileus in mice...
- The vagus nerve as a modulator of intestinal inflammationE P Van Der Zanden
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:6-17. 2009..models of intestinal inflammation, such as postoperative ileus and dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis, vagus nerve stimulation ameliorates disease activity...
- Comparisons of somatic action potentials from dispersed and intact rat nodose ganglia using patch-clamp techniqueBai Yan Li
Experimental and Computational Neurobiology Laboratory, Biomedical Engineering, Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:481-9. 2002..To differentiate the electrophysiological characteristics of somatic action potentials (AP) from isolated Neo and Juv nodose sensory neurons (NSN) and those from slices of intact Juv and adult rat nodose ganglia...
- Antiepileptic effect of electroacupuncture vs. vagus nerve stimulation in the rat thalamusJian Liang Zhang
School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Neurosci Lett 441:183-7. 2008Our previous study has shown that both electroacupuncture (EA) and vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) can inhibit cortical epileptiform activities induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)...
- Vagal neural crest cell migratory behavior: a transition between the cranial and trunk crestBryan R Kuo
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Dev Dyn 240:2084-100. 2011..We conclude that the vagal neural crest is a transitional population that has evolved between the head and the trunk...
- Adoptive transfer of macrophage from mice with depression-like behavior enhances susceptibility to colitisJean Eric Ghia
Farncombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute, Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Inflamm Bowel Dis 17:1474-89. 2011..We examined whether the locus of susceptibility to colitis in mice with depression-like behavior (DLB) resides with the macrophage and implicates the vagus nerve.
- Electrophysiological and neuroanatomical evidence of sexual dimorphism in aortic baroreceptor and vagal afferents in ratBai Yan Li
Department of Pharmacology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1301-10. 2008..Possible explanations are presented as to how such a greater prevalence of low-threshold myelinated afferents could be a contributing factor to the altered baroreflex sensitivity and vagal tone of females compared with males...
- Effects of vagus nerve stimulation and vagotomy on systemic and pulmonary inflammation in a two-hit model in ratsMatthijs Kox
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e34431. 2012..Electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve has been shown to attenuate inflammation in various animal models through the cholinergic anti-inflammatory ..
- Autonomic modulation of electrical restitution, alternans and ventricular fibrillation initiation in the isolated heartG Andre Ng
Cardiology Group, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom
Cardiovasc Res 73:750-60. 2007..We examined the effects of direct sympathetic (SS) and vagus (VS) nerve stimulation on electrical restitution, alternans and VF threshold (VFT) in a novel isolated rabbit heart preparation with intact dual autonomic innervation...
- An afferent vagal nerve pathway links hepatic PPARalpha activation to glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance and hypertensionCarlos Bernal-Mizrachi
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8127, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cell Metab 5:91-102. 2007..Here we demonstrate that afferent fibers of the vagus nerve interface with hepatic Ppara expression to disrupt blood pressure and glucose homeostasis in response to ..
- Cholinergic antiinflammatory pathway inhibition of tumor necrosis factor during ischemia reperfusionThomas R Bernik
Division of Vascular Surgery, North Shore University, 300 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Vasc Surg 36:1231-6. 2002..We recently reported that vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) suppresses endotoxin-induced cytokine synthesis through alpha bungarotoxin-sensitive ..
- Cannabinoids suppress synaptic input to neurones of the rat dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus nerveAndrei V Derbenev
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
J Physiol 559:923-38. 2004..Inhibition of synaptic input to DMV neurones is likely to contribute to the suppression of visceral motor responses by cannabinoids...
- Methods of assessing vagus nerve activity and reflexesMark W Chapleau
The Cardiovascular Center and Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Heart Fail Rev 16:109-27. 2011..Advantages and limitations of the various methods are addressed, and future directions are proposed...
- Acetylcholine from vagal stimulation protects cardiomyocytes against ischemia and hypoxia involving additive non-hypoxic induction of HIF-1alphaYoshihiko Kakinuma
Department of Cardiovascular Control, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505, Japan
FEBS Lett 579:2111-8. 2005..In acute myocardial ischemia, vagal nerve stimulation increased HIF-1alpha expression and reduced the infarct size. These results suggest that ACh and vagal stimulation protect cardiomyocytes through the PI3K/Akt/HIF-1alpha pathway...
- Recordings from the rat locus coeruleus during acute vagal nerve stimulation in the anaesthetised ratDuncan A Groves
School of Psychology, University of St Andrews, St Mary s Quad, South Street, St Andrews, Fife KY169JP, Scotland, UK
Neurosci Lett 379:174-9. 2005..Clin. Neuropsychiatry 7 (2002) 293-304; M.S. George, A.J. Rush, H.A. Sackeim, L.B. Marangell, Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS): utility in neuropsychiatric disorders, Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol...
- Activation in vagal afferents and central autonomic pathways: early responses to intestinal infection with Campylobacter jejuniLisa E Goehler
Department of Psychology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, United States
Brain Behav Immun 19:334-44. 2005..These findings provide evidence that peripheral sensory neurons contribute an early signal to the brain regarding potential pathogens...
- Studying noninvasive indices of vagal control: the need for respiratory control and the problem of target specificityThomas Ritz
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, P O Box 750442, Dallas, TX 75275 0442, USA
Biol Psychol 80:158-68. 2009..Studies also need to address muscarinic receptor sensitivity before noninvasive vagal indices can be interpreted as markers of central vagal outflow...
- [A novel transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation leads to brainstem and cerebral activations measured by functional MRI]Stefan Dietrich
cerboMed GmbH, Erlangen, Germany
Biomed Tech (Berl) 53:104-11. 2008Left cervical vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) using the implanted NeuroCybernetic Prosthesis (NCP) can reduce epileptic seizures and has recently been shown to give promising results for treating therapy-resistant depression...
- Cholecystokinin regulates expression of Y2 receptors in vagal afferent neurons serving the stomachGalina Burdyga
Physiological Laboratory, School of Biomedical Sciences and School of Preclinical Veterinary Science, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 28:11583-92. 2008....
- Acute blood flow changes and efficacy of vagus nerve stimulation in partial epilepsyT R Henry
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neurology 52:1166-73. 1999To determine possible sites of therapeutic action of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), by correlating acute VNS-induced regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) alterations and chronic therapeutic responses.
- The contribution of the vagus nerve in interleukin-1beta-induced fever is dependent on doseM K Hansen
Department of Psychology and Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R929-34. 2001..These results suggest that low doses of intraperitoneal IL-1beta induce fever via a vagal route and that dose may account for some of the discrepancies in the literature...
- Stimulated production of proinflammatory cytokines covaries inversely with heart rate variabilityAnna L Marsland
Behavioral Immunology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Psychosom Med 69:709-16. 2007..As yet, no direct human evidence links parasympathetic activity to inflammatory competence...
- Dynamic Causal Modelling and physiological confounds: a functional MRI study of vagus nerve stimulationSebastien Reyt
Neuroimagerie Fonctionnelle et Métabolique, INSERM, U836, Grenoble Institut des Neurosciences, Grenoble, France
Neuroimage 52:1456-64. 2010..presence of strong physiological confounds that presumably cannot be corrected for, using an fMRI experiment of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) performed in rats...
- Relationship between cardiovagal modulation and psychotic state in patients with paranoid schizophreniaKarl Jürgen Bär
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Psychiatry Res 157:255-7. 2008..Mainly we found that patients displaying stronger psychotic symptoms as assessed by the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale exhibit more severe cardiac ANS disturbances compared with controls...
- Neuroimmune regulation of ventilator-induced lung injuryClaudia C dos dos Santos
Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:471-82. 2011..Recent evidence suggests that stimulation of the cholinergic antiinflammatory pathway may be an attractive way to attenuate inflammatory injury...
- Cytokine-induced sickness behavior: mechanisms and implicationsR Dantzer
INRA INSERM U394, Bordeaux, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 933:222-34. 2001..However, the mechanisms that are involved in plasticity of the sickness motivational state are not yet understood...
- Implementation and interpretation of respiratory sinus arrhythmia measures in psychosomatic medicine: practice against better evidence?Thomas Ritz
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas 75205, USA
Psychosom Med 68:617-27. 2006..Finally, we outline a respiratory control method for the time-domain index of RSA and review research pertaining to its reliability, validity, and experimental application...
- Cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway activity and High Mobility Group Box-1 (HMGB1) serum levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritisRichard S Goldstein
The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, and Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Mol Med 13:210-5. 2007..The cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway, a vagus nerve-dependent mechanism, inhibits HMGB1 release in experimental disease models...
- Role of vagus nerve signaling in CNI-1493-mediated suppression of acute inflammationL V Borovikova
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Auton Neurosci 85:141-7. 2000..The objective of the present study was to identify the role of the central nervous system (CNS) and efferent vagus nerve signaling in CNI-1493-mediated modulation of acute inflammation in the periphery...
- Expression of cannabinoid CB1 receptors by vagal afferent neurons is inhibited by cholecystokininGalina Burdyga
Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3BX, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 24:2708-15. 2004..Because CCK is a satiety factor that acts via the vagus nerve and CB1 agonists stimulate food intake, the data suggest a new mechanism modulating the effect on food intake ..
- TRPA1 agonists evoke coughing in guinea pig and human volunteersMark A Birrell
Respiratory Pharmacology Group, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:1042-7. 2009..Environmental irritants such as air pollution and cigarette smoke are thought to evoke cough by stimulating airway sensory nerves; however, how this occurs is not fully understood...
- Vagal nerve stimulation prevents reperfusion injury through inhibition of opening of mitochondrial permeability transition pore independent of the bradycardiac effectRajesh G Katare
Department of Cardiovascular Control, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:223-31. 2009..Here we demonstrate a novel therapeutic strategy against ischemia-reperfusion injury: vagally mediated prevention of reperfusion-induced opening of mitochondrial permeability transition pore...
- Brain blood-flow alterations induced by therapeutic vagus nerve stimulation in partial epilepsy: II. prolonged effects at high and low levels of stimulationThomas R Henry
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Epilepsia 45:1064-70. 2004To measure vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)-induced cerebral blood flow (CBF) effects after prolonged VNS and to compare these effects with immediate VNS effects on CBF.
- Activation of an efferent cholinergic pathway produces strong protection against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury in ratsChiara Mioni
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Sections of Pharmacology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Crit Care Med 33:2621-8. 2005A vagus nerve-mediated, brain cholinergic protective mechanism activated by melanocortin peptides is operative in conditions of circulatory shock; moreover, there is anatomical evidence of dual vagal-cardiac efferent pathways in rats, ..
- Vagal influence on working memory and attentionAnita Lill Hansen
University of Bergen, Department of Psychosocial Sciences, Christiesgt 12, 5015 Bergen, Norway
Int J Psychophysiol 48:263-74. 2003..This was evident for both groups. The present results indicated that high HRV was associated with better performance on tasks involving executive function...
- Expression and function of the ion channel TRPA1 in vagal afferent nerves innervating mouse lungsChristina Nassenstein
Johns Hopkins Allergy and Asthma Center 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Physiol 586:1595-604. 2008..TRPA1 activation provides a mechanism by which certain environmental stimuli may elicit action potential discharge in airway afferent C-fibres and the consequent nocifensor reflexes...
- The vagus nerve, food intake and obesityHans Rudolf Berthoud
Neurobiology of Nutrition Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Regul Pept 149:15-25. 2008....
- Nutritional stimulation of cholecystokinin receptors inhibits inflammation via the vagus nerveMisha D Luyer
Department of Surgery, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, University of Maastricht, 6200 MD, Maastricht, Netherlands
J Exp Med 202:1023-9. 2005..fat stimulates CCK receptors, and leads to attenuation of the inflammatory response by way of the efferent vagus nerve and nicotinic receptors...
- Hypothalamic K(ATP) channels control hepatic glucose productionAlessandro Pocai
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Nature 434:1026-31. 2005..of a K(ATP) blocker within the mediobasal hypothalamus, or the surgical resection of the hepatic branch of the vagus nerve, negates the effects of central insulin and halves the effects of systemic insulin on hepatic glucose ..
- Functional and chemical anatomy of the afferent vagal systemH R Berthoud
Neurobiology of Nutrition Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 70808, USA
Auton Neurosci 85:1-17. 2000..Furthermore, these functions are in line with a general defensive character ascribed to the vagal afferent, paraventricular system in lower vertebrates...
- The role of the vagus nerve in cytokine-to-brain communicationS F Maier
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 840:289-300. 1998..Data extending this analysis to TNF-alpha and intravenous routes will be described...
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) for major depressive episodes: one year outcomesLauren B Marangell
Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, BCM 350, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biol Psychiatry 51:280-7. 2002b>Vagus nerve stimulation has shown promising results in an open, acute phase pilot study of adults in a treatment-resistant major depressive episode...
- Cardiac vagal control in depression: a critical analysisJonathan Rottenberg
Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620 7200, USA
Biol Psychol 74:200-11. 2007..Methodological desiderata and priorities for future research are discussed, including the need to clarify the etiological significance of CVC...
- Streptozotocin-induced diabetes reduces retrograde axonal transport in the afferent and efferent vagus nervePaek Gyu Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Brain Res 941:127-36. 2002..A decreased axonal accumulation of endogenous nerve growth factor (NGF) and neurotrophin-3 (NT-3) in the vagus nerve of streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats was previously shown...
- Inhibition of the development of collagen-induced arthritis in Wistar rats through vagus nerve suspension: a 3-month observationP Zhang
Department of Orthopaedics, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Inflamm Res 57:322-8. 2008In this study, we have investigated the effects of vagus nerve suspension in a rat model of collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) .
- Rapid inhibition of neurons in the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus by leptinK W Williams
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, MS 508 Chandler Medical Center, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Endocrinology 148:1868-81. 2007..The hypothesis that leptin suppresses cellular activity in the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus nerve (DMV) was tested using whole-cell patch-clamp recordings in brainstem slices...
- Vagus nerve stimulation: from epilepsy to the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathwayB Bonaz
Clinique universitaire d hepato gastroentérologie, CHU de Grenoble, Grenoble Cedex, France
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:208-21. 2013The brain and the gut communicate bidirectionally through the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The vagus nerve (VN), a major component of the ANS, plays a key role in the neuro-endocrine-immune axis to maintain homeostasia through its ..
- Continuous low-level vagus nerve stimulation reduces stellate ganglion nerve activity and paroxysmal atrial tachyarrhythmias in ambulatory caninesMark J Shen
Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Division of Cardiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Circulation 123:2204-12. 2011We hypothesize that left-sided low-level vagus nerve stimulation (LL-VNS) can suppress sympathetic outflow and reduce atrial tachyarrhythmias in ambulatory dogs.
- Direct evidence of nitric oxide release from neuronal nitric oxide synthase activation in the left ventricle as a result of cervical vagus nerve stimulationKieran E Brack
Cardiology Group, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, UK
J Physiol 587:3045-54. 2009..We have recently provided indirect evidence that the anti-fibrillatory effect of vagus nerve stimulation on the ventricle is mediated by nitric oxide (NO)...
- Locus coeruleus lesions suppress the seizure-attenuating effects of vagus nerve stimulationS E Krahl
Neurology Service, West Los Angeles VA Medical Center, California 90073, USA
Epilepsia 39:709-14. 1998Although vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) is now marketed throughout most of the world as a treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy, the therapeutic mechanism of action of VNS-induced seizure suppression has not yet been established...
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia, cardiac vagal control, and daily activityP Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Freiburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H728-34. 2004..Concurrent monitoring of respiration and physical activity may enhance HR variability accuracy to predict autonomic control...
- Effect of electrical stimulation of the nucleus of the solitary tract on the development of electrical amygdaloid kindling in the catVictor M Magdaleno-Madrigal
Division of Neuroscience Research, Instituto Nacional de Psiquiatría Ramón de la Fuente, SSA and Psychology Faculty, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico UNAM, Mexico
Epilepsia 43:964-9. 2002..This work analyzed the effect of electrical stimulation of the nucleus of the solitary tract (NTS) on the development of electrical amygdaloid kindling (AK) in freely moving cats...
- Vagus nerve stimulation for treatment-resistant depression: a randomized, controlled acute phase trialA John Rush
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:347-54. 2005b>Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) alters both concentrations of neurotransmitters or their metabolites and functional activity of central nervous system regions dysregulated in mood disorders. An open trial has suggested efficacy.
- Activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway reduces NF-kappab activation, blunts TNF-alpha production, and protects againts splanchic artery occlusion shockDomenica Altavilla
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, Section of Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina Italy
Shock 25:500-6. 2006..2 +/- 0.6 U/g tissue). Chlorisondamine, a nicotinic receptor antagonist, abated the effects of vagal stimulation. Our results show a parasympathetic inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB and TNF-alpha in SAO shock...
- Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation for the treatment of depression: a study protocol for a double blinded randomized clinical trialPei jing Rong
Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing, 100700, China
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:255. 2012..Unfortunately, the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is far from satisfactory. Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) is a relatively new and promising physical treatment for depressive disorders...
- The application of vagus nerve stimulation and deep brain stimulation in depressionPavel Mohr
Prague Psychiatric Center, Charles University Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
Neuropsychobiology 64:170-81. 2011..Recently, reversible invasive stimulation methods, i.e. vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) and deep brain stimulation (DBS), have been introduced into the management of treatment-..
- Relationship between heart rate variability, interleukin-6, and soluble tissue factor in healthy subjectsRoland von Kanel
Department of General Internal Medicine, University Hospital Berne, Switzerland
Brain Behav Immun 22:461-8. 2008..Inflammation and related hypercoagulability might particularly contribute to atherothrombotic events in a setting of decreased HRV...
- Electrophysiological study on the vagal innervation of the adrenal gland in the ratA Niijima
Department of Physiology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
J Auton Nerv Syst 41:87-92. 1992..evoked by stimulation of the adrenal branch of the splanchnic nerve were observed in the celiac branch of the vagus nerve. The observations indicate the existence of a nervous pathway from the ventral and dorsal subdiaphragmatic ..
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia. A phenomenon improving pulmonary gas exchange and circulatory efficiencyJ Hayano
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya City University Medical School, Japan
Circulation 94:842-7. 1996..We hypothesized that RSA benefits pulmonary gas exchange by matching perfusion to ventilation within each respiratory cycle...
- Neuroanatomical evidence demonstrating the existence of the vagal anti-inflammatory reflex in the intestineC Cailotto
Department of Gastroenterology, Tytgat Institute for Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Center AMC, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:191-200, e93. 2012..The aim of this study is to provide neuro-anatomical evidence to support the existence of a functional neuronal circuit and its activation in response to intestinal inflammation...
- Sensory signal transduction in the vagal primary afferent neuronsYing Li
Gastroenterology Research Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0682, USA
Curr Med Chem 14:2554-63. 2007..These neurons also respond to mechanical distention. Interaction between CCK-A receptor and OB-Rs in these neurons likely facilitates leptin mediation of short-term satiety...
- Far field potentials from the brain stem after transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulationA J Fallgatter
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
J Neural Transm 110:1437-43. 2003Recently, the vagus nerve has gained particular interest in neuropsychiatry, as neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease are supposed to affect the brainstem nuclei of the vagus nerve early in their course...
- Effect of vagal nerve stimulation on systemic inflammation and cardiac autonomic function in patients with refractory epilepsyLucy Barone
Istituto di Cardiologia, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italia
Neuroimmunomodulation 14:331-6. 2007Recent data suggest that vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) can inhibit cytokine release by inflammatory cells...
- Brain-gut communication via vagus nerve modulates conditioned flavor preferenceAkira Uematsu
Institute of Life Sciences, Ajinomoto Co, Inc, 1 1, Suzuki cho, Kawasaki ku, Kawasaki 210 8681, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 31:1136-43. 2010..The neural pathway involved in mediating this effect, however, remains unknown. We show here the role of the vagus nerve in acquiring this learned flavor preference and in the brain's response to intragastric glutamate infusion...
- Effects of spinal cord injury on vagal afferents from the rat bladder and colon.April N Herrity; Fiscal Year: 2013..from our lab indicates that the bladder and colon are not only innervated by spinal afferents, but by the vagus nerve as well...
- Melanocortin-4 Receptor-dependent regulation of energy balance after gastric bypaVincent Aguirre; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the regulation of body weight and glucose metabolism (which is dysregulated in diabetes), including the vagus nerve and motor neurons of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS)...
- Targeting the DNA damage response pathway for the treatment of HSV esophagitisOleg Alekseev; Fiscal Year: 2013..Herpes esophagitis usually presents as a reactivation from latency in the nodose ganglion of the vagus nerve. Despite the significance of this clinical problem, research toward understanding the molecular mechanisms of ..
- Neural control of adaptive Beta-cell growth in insulin resistant ratsWILLIAM CHARLES DIAZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..transection and hypothalamic ablation can both lead to changes in BCM, it is reasonable to assume that the vagus nerve provides not only functional control of insulin needs, but of compensatory growth mechanisms needed to maintain ..
- Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation in cerebral ischemiaIlknur Ay; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): The goal of this proposal is to investigate the therapeutic potential of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (tVNS) in acute cerebral ischemia...
- Excitability mechanisms of neurocardiac regulationALBERT E GLASSCOCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Aim 2, Kcna1-null mice are administered drugs that selectively activate the vagus nerve to determine whether stimulation of parasympathetic neurotransmission increases cardiac dysfunction in Kcna1-..
- The role of vagal afferent neurons in regulating feeding behaviorGUILLAUME FH DE LARTIGUE; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The vagus nerve has long been known to play a role in the regulation of food intake...
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve connective tissues as a factor in vocal fold paralysisJulie M Barkmeier-Kraemer; Fiscal Year: 2013..properties of the "packaging," or connective tissues of the recurrent laryngeal branch (RLN) of the vagus nerve to formulate their role in the onset of unilateral vocal fold paralysis (UVP)...
- Excitability mechanisms of neurocardiac regulationALBERT E GLASSCOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 2, Kcna1-null mice are administered drugs that selectively activate the vagus nerve to determine whether stimulation of parasympathetic neurotransmission increases cardiac dysfunction in Kcna1-..
- Mechanisms of Glycemic Improvement Following Gastrointestinal SurgeryDavid R Flum; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both hypotheses posit putative mechanisms that may involve the vagus nerve, the role of which in the effects of RYGB is unknown...
- Regulation of Age-Related Inflammation in Septic ShockPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The action of ghrelin is mediated by the vagus nerve, as vagotomy prevents its beneficial effects...
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation &Antidepressants: c-Fos, deltaFosB and TrkB ActivationAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) has recently been approved by the FDA for treatment refractory depression...
- Insulin effects in the vagal complexCamille Bond Blake; Fiscal Year: 2013..afferents and various other inputs in order to produce appropriate parasympathetic motor outputs via the vagus nerve, which is vital for energy homeostasis...
- Role of nonnuclear estrogen receptor GPR30 in preganglionic vagal neuronsEugen Brailoiu; Fiscal Year: 2012..of intravenous administration of GPR30 agonists on blood pressure, heart rate and the participation of the vagus nerve in these responses...
- Central cholinergic regulation of inflammationVALENTIN ATANASSOV PAVLOV; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have shown that the anti-inflammatory effect of galantamine is mediated through the efferent vagus nerve-based cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway. This pathway is a major brain-to immune communication circuit...
- Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation for EpilepsyChristopher DeGiorgio; Fiscal Year: 2012..Interest is growing in neuromodulation for epilepsy, including vagus nerve stimulation, deep brain stimulation, or closed-loop "responsive" neurostimulation as alternatives to failed ..
- Mechanosensory Motor Neurons of Lower Esophageal SphincterRavinder K Mittal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our current understanding is that the LES relaxation is neurogenic, mediated by vagus nerve which synapses with the inhibitory motor neurons located in the myenteric plexus of the esophagus...
- Mechanisms of Extinction of Conditioned Fear by Vagus Nerve StimulationCHRISTA MCINTYRE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our research indicates that the vagus nerve plays a role in the consolidation of emotionally arousing memories...
- Vagus stimulation protects against cardiac diastolic dysfunction in aging miceYi Fan Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have developed a model of chronic left vagus nerve stimulation (CLVNS) to increase PSNS output to the heart...
- Immunomodulation of Vagal Innervation in the Respiratory TractLETITIA ALEXIS WEIGAND; Fiscal Year: 2012..To address these aims, a mouse model will be used. The trachea, bronchi, and lungs with the vagus nerve and vagal sensory ganglia will obtained from mice actively sensitized to ovalbumin (OVA), and extracellular ..
- Cholinergic regulation of endothelial cell activationChristine N Metz; Fiscal Year: 2010..is to determine the effects of cholinergic activation via nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) agonists and vagus nerve stimulation on endothelial activation and leukocyte trafficking during sepsis...
- Macrophage Inactivation in Sepsis after Shock or TraumaKevin J Tracey; Fiscal Year: 2013..A prototypical vagus nerve circuit, the inflammatory reflex, inhibit cytokine production in spleen through a mechanism requiring ..
- Food intake and energy metabolism regulated by apo AIV and CCKChunmin C Lo; Fiscal Year: 2013..CCK acts on local receptors on duodenal sensory nerves and sends a message to the hindbrain via the vagus nerve, whereas apo AIV reduces meal size via unknown pathways to the brain...
- Lethal H5N1 Virus Infection and Respiratory DisordersFadi Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..the lethal H5N1 viruses, differing from nonlethal ones, initially invaded (2-3 days post-infection) the vagus nerve and then brain, resulting in death 8 days post-infection, pointing to a possible vagal involvement in H5N1 ..
- Alcohol, the vagus nerve and multi-organ inflammationJohn M Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project therefore tests a novel hypothesis for alcohol-induced organ damage based on the interaction between brain, gut and liver as represented by the vagus nerve, and tests a novel therapeutic approach to this.
- XENIN-25: NOVEL REGULATOR OF INSULIN SECRETION AND B-CELL FUNCTIONBurton M Wice; Fiscal Year: 2013..the effects and mechanism of action of xenin-25 on beta-cell function in mice by studying the roles of the vagus nerve and M3 muscarinic receptors on pancreatic 2-cells in mediating the effects of xenin-25 on GIP-mediated insulin ..
- Neural mechanisms controlling food intake and body weight after bariatric surgeryHans Rudolf Berthoud; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypophagia and weight loss, because this part of the brain is directly connected with the gut by the vagus nerve and intimately involved in the control of satiation and meal size...
- A Novel Adjunct to Physical Training to Improve Motor Recovery Following StrokeMichael P Kilgard; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our method of enhancing neuroplasticity is pairing very short pulses of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) with specific therapeutic exercises...
- Gastric dysreflexia after spinal cord injuryGregory M Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will use an animal model of T3-SCI combined with in vivo physiological (gastric emptying or motility and vagus nerve) recording, and molecular (RT-PCR and ELISA) approaches with the aim of defining the mechanisms resulting in ..
- AUTONOMIC CONTROL OF BODY WEIGHT AND FEEDINGTerry L Powley; Fiscal Year: 2013..The vagus nerve is the major neural pathway reciprocally connecting the brain and the Gl tract...
- Development of Hardware and Software for Clinical MEGNorman Tepley; Fiscal Year: 2010..methods (LCMV beamformer and MR-FOCUSS);and 2) withdrawal of a short-acting barbiturate or 3) withdrawal of vagus nerve stimulation...
- Enhancing Fear Extinction Using Vagus Nerve StimulationCHRISTA MCINTYRE; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Specific Aim of this Phase I study is to evaluate whether vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) can enhance fear extinction. Exposure Therapy in humans is a form of fear extinction...
- Exercise and Inflammation: Autonomic, Affective &Cellular MechanismsRichard P Sloan; Fiscal Year: 2013..of inflammatory mediators and, secondarily, to examine if this suppression is via a mechanism of increasing vagus nerve activity...
- Abdominal Massage for Postoperative Adhesions and IleusGeoffrey M Bove; Fiscal Year: 2013..Inflammation is key to both ileus and adhesion formation, and is modulated by the vagus nerve. In one set of experiments, unitary vagal afferent discharge properties will be recorded during abdominal ..
- Targeted Neural Plasticity for the Treatment of TinnitusRichard S Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our therapy pairs selected tone presentations with simultaneous stimulation of the vagus nerve to induce a redistribution of the distorted auditory cortical frequency map observed in tinnitus...
- Neural circuitry in the dorsal vagal complexBret N Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..other inputs, and translating that integrated signal into a coordinated parasympathetic motor output via the vagus nerve. In particular, GABAergic inhibition is a dominant regulator of neuronal function in the area...
- Autonomic Nerve Activity and Paroxysmal Atrial FibrillationPeng Sheng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2: Effects of low-level vagus nerve stimulation (LL-VNS) on cardiac nerve activity and spontaneous atrial tachyarrhythmias...
- Novel High Density Interconnects for Flexible Neural ProsthesesHELMUT ECKHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2012..including peripheral motor nerve stimulation for re-animation of paralyzed limbs, hypoglossal nerve stimulation to treat obstructive sleep apnea, and vagus nerve stimulation for treatment of epilepsy, depression, and heart failure.
- NEUROENDOCRINE ETIOLOGY OF DIABETIC GASTROPATHYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1999..Since the Principal Investigator's preliminary studies show that diabetes acutely reduces sciatic and vagus nerve Na+- K+-ATPase activities, experiments will examine the temporal effect of diabetes mellitus on the expression ..
- TMS Effects on Pain PerceptionJeffrey J Borckardt; Fiscal Year: 2010..The candidate will become familiar with new treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), vagus nerve stimulation, and deep brain stimulation...
- Electrodeposited Noble Metal Oxide Neural ElectrodesStuart Cogan; Fiscal Year: 2002..coatings in emerging applications involving cortical stimulation and recording, deep brain stimulation, and vagus nerve stimulation as well as in established applications such as cardiac pacing and pain management...
- CNS MEDIATION OF CONDITIONED BRADYCARDIAPHILIP MC CABE; Fiscal Year: 1990..zona incerta (LZI), and parabrachial nucleus of the pons, before terminating at the cells of origin of the vagus nerve in the medulla...
- The Cholinergic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway in Human Obesity and Insulin ResistanceKaren Teff; Fiscal Year: 2009..My laboratory is one of very few to study the role of the vagus nerve in the regulation of glucose homeostasis in humans (13-15)...
- Mechanism of Estrogen's Inhibitory Effects on FeedingLISA ECKEL; Fiscal Year: 2004..meals and functions to decrease food intake by generating a satiety signal that is relayed to the brain via the vagus nerve. The importance of the rat's ovarian cycle in the control of food intake is revealed by ovariectomy, which ..
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation: A Bioengineering Approach to Assess its Effects on ResetLEONIDAS JASSEMIDIS; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Vagus Nerve Stimulation: A Bioengineering Approach to Assess its Effects on Resetting the Epileptic Brain Dynamics Epilepsy is the second most common neurological disorder to stroke and affects 1% to ..
- NEUROHORMONAL CONTROL OF INTESTINAL APOLIPOPROTEIN A IVTheodore Kalogeris; Fiscal Year: 2001..Preliminary studies show that 1) lipid in the ileum produces a signal which appears to act via the vagus nerve to stimulate synthesis of apo A-IV in the jejunum, and 2) this signal may be involved in the integrated ..
- PHARYNGEAL RECEPTORS AND REFLUX DISEASERAVINDER MITTAL; Fiscal Year: 2001..TLESR is a neural reflex with its afferent and efferent limbs in the vagus nerve and control center in the brain stem...
- VIRAL-AUTONOMIC INTERACTIONS IN THE TRACHEACheryl Killingsworth; Fiscal Year: 1991..response to local intraarterial infusion of acetylcholine and the response to electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve with increasing stimulus frequency...
- NEUROCHEMICAL CONTROL OF RESPIRATION IN SIDSLaurence Becker; Fiscal Year: 1991..in cases of SIDS specific changes in neural structures concerned with control of respiration (brain stem, vagus nerve) and more recently found elevated levels of catecholamines (CA), mainly dopamine in carotid bodies (CB) of SIDS ..
- Contributions of VENT cells to the GI tractGURKIRPAL SOHAL; Fiscal Year: 2007..cells, originate from the ventral part of the hindbrain, and colonize the foregut in association with the vagus nerve. Several different observations have prompted us to hypothesize that the VENT cells make specific contributions ..
- Anti-Inflammatory effect of Cholinergic Pathway:IschemiaElahe Crockett; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recent studies have indicated that acetylcholine, the principal vagus nerve neurotransmitter, inhibited cytokine release by macrophages, through a novel physiological mechanism, termed ..
- PLASTICITY OF THE DEVELOPING GUSTATORY SYSTEMDavid Hill; Fiscal Year: 1990..oropharynx will be chemically stimulated with salts, hydrochloric acid, sucrose and quinine; the cervical vagus nerve, which transmits information from abdominal organs to the brain, will be electrically stimulated...
- A MODEL OF BRONCHIAL HYPERREACTIVITYN Robinson; Fiscal Year: 1990..Electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve and administration of a ganglion-stimulating drug will be used to activate the autonomic nervous system in ..
- AUTONOMIC DIABETIC NEUROPATHY IN MICECharles Mobbs; Fiscal Year: 2004..assess the correlation between hypothalamic and brainstem impairments and impairments in autonomic ganglia, the vagus nerve, and sympathetic function (regulation of temperature, heart rate, and counterregulatory responses to ..
- ESOPHAGO-LARYNGEAL ADDUCTOR REFLEXNancy Bauman; Fiscal Year: 2000..Transection and denuding studies will clarify the role of the vagus nerve in mediating the afferent limb of the ELAR...
- Hepatic Metabolic Control of Meal Size and NumberWolfgang Langhans; Fiscal Year: 2007..glycogen content modulates the hepatocellular metabolic control of spontaneous feeding; (4) the role of the vagus nerve in hepatocellular metabolic control of spontaneous feeding; (5) which areas of the brainstem and hypothalamus ..
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, PANCREATIC FUNCTION, AND OBESITYJudith Stern; Fiscal Year: 1992..We propose that the vagus nerve "over" stimulates insulin secretion via efferent (to the pancreas) neurons which are "hyperactive" and offset ..
- NOCICEPTION IN BULIMIA NERVOSAPATRICIA FARIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..We previously proposed that the pathophysiology of bulimia nervosa involves dysregulation of the afferent vagus nerve. During the last funding period, this hypothesis was tested using two main strategies: (1) the use of somatic ..
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in FibromyalgiaGudrun Lange; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeted Neural Plasticity for the Treatment of TinnitusNAVZER ENGINEER; Fiscal Year: 2009This is an application to test the feasibility of reducing tinnitus by pairing left vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) with tone presentations to reorganize the auditory cortical frequency map...
- Pathophysiology of Neuroimmune CommunicationNing Quan; Fiscal Year: 2003Two neuroimmune communication pathways, the ascending vagus nerve and cells of the blood-brain barrier, have recently been identified to relay signals of peripheral infection to the brain by inducing the expression of IL-1 and TNF-alpha ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHY IN TYPE I DIABETESSTEVEN RABINOWE; Fiscal Year: 1992..have demonstrated complement fixing autoantibodies directed against adrenal medulla, sympathetic ganglia, and vagus nerve in pre-type I diabetes and patients with clinically overt Type I diabetes...
- NEUROBIOLOGICAL CONTRIBUTION TO MEMORY FORMATIONCEDRIC WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2001..solitary tract (NTS) receive input regarding changes in peripheral autonomic and neuroendocrine states via the vagus nerve and convey this information to neurons in the PB and AMY...