Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of two ganglionated neural networks which together form the ENTERIC NERVOUS SYSTEM. The myenteric (Auerbach's) plexus is located between the longitudinal and circular muscle layers of the gut. Its neurons project to the circular muscle, to other myenteric ganglia, to submucosal ganglia, or directly to the epithelium, and play an important role in regulating and patterning gut motility. (From FASEB J 1989;3:127-38)
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Generation and propagation of gastric slow wavesDirk F van Helden
School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 37:516-24. 2010..What has been less clear is the relative role of primary types of ICC, including the network in the myenteric plexus (ICC-MY) and the intramuscular network (ICC-IM)...
- Regeneration of myenteric plexus in the mouse colon after experimental denervation with benzalkonium chlorideMenachem Hanani
Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem 91240, Israel
J Comp Neurol 462:315-27. 2003..To address this problem, we ablated the myenteric plexus of the mouse colon with the detergent benzalkonium chloride (BAC) and followed the ensuing morphologic ..
- Dual effects of adenosine on acetylcholine release from myenteric motoneurons are mediated by junctional facilitatory A(2A) and extrajunctional inhibitory A(1) receptorsMargarida Duarte-Araújo
Laboratório de Farmacologia UMIB, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas de Abel Salazar ICBAS, Universidade do Porto, L Prof Abel Salazar, 2, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
Br J Pharmacol 141:925-34. 20041. The coexistence of both inhibitory A(1) and facilitatory A(2) adenosine receptors in the rat myenteric plexus prompted the question of how adenosine activates each receptor subtype to regulate cholinergic neurotransmission. 2...
- Projections and chemistry of Dogiel type II neurons in the mouse colonJohn B Furness
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, 3010, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Cell Tissue Res 317:1-12. 2004..CGRP was the most selective marker of the neurons. Following surgery to remove an area of myenteric plexus, the CGRP-immunoreactive nerve fibres in the mucosa degenerated...
- Immunohistochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of interstitial cells of Cajal in the rabbit duodenum. Presence of a single ciliumConcepción Junquera
Departamento de Anatomia e Histologia Humanas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, Domingo Miral s n, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
J Cell Mol Med 11:776-87. 2007Santiago Ramón y Cajal discovered a new type of cell related to the myenteric plexus and also to the smooth muscle cells of the circular muscle layer of the intestine...
- Analysis of whole-cell currents by patch clamp of guinea-pig myenteric neurones in intact gangliaFrancois Rugiero
Laboratoire Intégration des Informations Sensorielles ITIS, CNRS, Bâtiment LNB, No 31, Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Physiol 538:447-63. 2002....
- Characterization of myenteric sensory neurons in the mouse small intestineYukang Mao
Brain Brody Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Neurophysiol 96:998-1010. 2006..Recordings were obtained using the mouse longitudinal muscle myenteric plexus preparation with patch-clamp and sharp intracellular electrodes...
- W/kit gene required for interstitial cells of Cajal and for intestinal pacemaker activityJ D Huizinga
Department of Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Nature 373:347-9. 1995....
- Neuronal stimulation with 5-hydroxytryptamine 4 receptor induces anti-inflammatory actions via α7nACh receptors on muscularis macrophages associated with postoperative ileusYasuaki Tsuchida
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Gut 60:638-47. 2011..Prokinetic 5-hydroxytryptamine 4 receptor (5-HT₄R) agonists and dopamine receptor antagonists are potential therapeutic agents for directly ameliorating the motility disorder associated with POI...
- Development of colonic motility in the neonatal mouse-studies using spatiotemporal mapsRachael R Roberts
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G930-8. 2007..In mouse, myogenic ripples are the only mechanism available to produce colonic transit at birth. At P6, neural circuits that generate CMMCs are present but are inhibited by tonic activity of nitric oxide. Adult patterns appear by P10...
- Ultrastructural changes in the interstitial cells of Cajal and gastric dysrhythmias in mice lacking full-length dystrophin (mdx mice)Maria Giuliana Vannucchi
Department of Human Anatomy, Histology and Forensic Medicine, Section of Histology E Allara, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Cell Physiol 199:293-309. 2004..populations of c-kit positive interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) lie in the gastric wall, one located at the myenteric plexus level has a pace-making function and the other located intramuscularly is intermediary in the ..
- The role of β-arrestin2 in the mechanism of morphine tolerance in the mouse and guinea pig gastrointestinal tractMinho Kang
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1112 E Clay St, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 340:567-76. 2012..for morphine-induced inhibition of electrical field stimulation contraction of guinea pig longitudinal muscle myenteric plexus shifted rightward in the ileum from 5.7 ± 0.08 (n = 9) to 5.45 ± 0.09 (n = 6) (p < 0...
- Prolonged IL-1beta exposure alters neurotransmitter and electrically induced Ca(2+) responses in the myenteric plexusS Kindt
Center for Gastroenterological Research, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:321-e85. 2010..cytokine interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) was shown to have excitatory and neuromodulatory roles in the myenteric plexus. Here we aimed to study the effect of prolonged IL-1beta incubation on the response of myenteric neurones to ..
- Selective responses of myenteric neurons to oxidative stress and diabetic stimuliE Voukali
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London, UK
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:964-e411. 2011..Diabetes has a differential effect on different subpopulations of myenteric neurons. Our aim was to investigate an in vitro model to examine the pathways underlying the development of nerve changes in diabetes...
- Morphological and functional alterations of the myenteric plexus in rats with TNBS-induced colitisE Poli
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Parma, Italy
Neurochem Res 26:1085-93. 2001..b>Myenteric plexus morphology (immunocytochemical markers), functional integrity of cholinergic neurons (3H-choline uptake, ..
- MCP-1 targeting inhibits muscularis macrophage recruitment and intestinal smooth muscle dysfunction in colonic inflammationMasatoshi Hori
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C391-401. 2008..These macrophages express MCP-1 for further recruitment of monocytes. MCP-1 may be one potential therapeutic target for inhibiting intestinal motility disorders in gut inflammation...
- Corticotropin releasing factor-distribution in rat intestine and role in neuroprotectionElin Sand
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Regul Pept 166:68-75. 2011..Simultaneous presence of CRF attenuated the VIP mediated increase in neuronal survival. Co-culturing neurons and mast cells resulted in a marked reduction in neuronal survival, not executed via CRF signaling pathways...
- Damage of the interstitial cells of Cajal and myenteric neurons causing ileus in acute necrotizing pancreatitis ratsHui Zhou
Laboratory of Stress Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Changhai Hospital, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Surgery 149:262-75. 2011....
- Tissue-specific mathematical models of slow wave entrainment in wild-type and 5-HT(2B) knockout mice with altered interstitial cells of Cajal networksPeng Du
Auckland Bioengineering Institute, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Biophys J 98:1772-81. 2010..This study provides a framework for evaluating how ICC network degradation may impair slow wave propagation and ultimately motility and transit...
- Mechanosensory S-neurons rather than AH-neurons appear to generate a rhythmic motor pattern in guinea-pig distal colonNick J Spencer
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV 89557, USA
J Physiol 558:577-96. 2004..In summary, we have identified a population of mechanosensory S-neurons in the myenteric plexus of the distal colon which appear to be largely stretch sensitive, rather than muscle-tension sensitive, since ..
- Aging of the myenteric plexus: neuronal loss is specific to cholinergic neuronsRobert J Phillips
Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, 703 Third Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2004, USA
Auton Neurosci 106:69-83. 2003Neuron loss occurs in the myenteric plexus of the aged rat. The myenteric plexus is composed of two mutually exclusive neuronal subpopulations expressing, respectively, nitrergic and cholinergic phenotypes...
- Correlation of electrophysiological and morphological characteristics of enteric neurons in the mouse colonKulmira Nurgali
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Comp Neurol 468:112-24. 2004..Neurons in the myenteric plexus of the mouse colon were impaled with microelectrodes containing biocytin, their passive and active ..
- Altered expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the duodenum longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus of obesity induced diabetes mouse: implications on enteric neurodegenerationSankar Surendran
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338:919-22. 2005..In addition, reduced expression of nNOS is likely to contribute to apoptosis seen in the enteric neurons of male type 2 diabetic mice...
- Gastric alpha-synuclein immunoreactive inclusions in Meissner's and Auerbach's plexuses in cases staged for Parkinson's disease-related brain pathologyHeiko Braak
Institute for Clinical Neuroanatomy, J W Goethe University Clinic, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Neurosci Lett 396:67-72. 2006....
- Immunoreactivity of Hu proteins facilitates identification of myenteric neurones in guinea-pig small intestineZ Lin
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 14:197-204. 2002..immunohistochemically as neuronal markers in whole-mount preparations and cultures obtained from the myenteric plexus of guinea-pig small intestine...
- Oral inoculation with herpes simplex virus type 1 infects enteric neuron and mucosal nerve fibers within the gastrointestinal tract in miceR M Gesser
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Infectious Diseases, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Virol 70:4097-102. 1996..These intramucosal nerve fibers may be a conduit by which intraluminal virus is able to gain access to the enteric nervous system from the gastrointestinal lumen...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of neuron types in the mouse small intestineZheng Dong Qu
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Cell Tissue Res 334:147-61. 2008The definition of the nerve cell types of the myenteric plexus of the mouse small intestine has become important, as more researchers turn to the use of mice with genetic mutations to analyze roles of specific genes and their products in ..
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide: a marker for putative primary afferent neurons in the pig small intestinal myenteric plexus?Matthias Wolf
Institute of Anatomy I, Erlangen, Germany
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290:1273-9. 2007..We conclude that CGRP-antibodies can be used as markers for type II neurons in the pig small intestinal myenteric plexus in quantitative studies but it should be kept in mind that up to one-tenth of CGRP-reactive neurons may be ..
- Control of enteric neuromuscular functions by purinergic A(3) receptors in normal rat distal colon and experimental bowel inflammationL Antonioli
Division of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 161:856-71. 2010..This study investigated the regulatory role of A(3) receptors on colonic motility in the presence of experimental colitis...
- Stimulus-evoked opioid inhibition in guinea-pig longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus strip is modulated by NMDA receptorsJosef Donnerer
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University Graz, Universitatsplatz 4, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Neurosci Lett 419:74-7. 2007Longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus (LMMP) strips of the guinea-pig ileum were used to investigate the stimulus-evoked endogenous opioid inhibition and its modulation by ionotropic glutamate receptors...
- Development of nerves expressing P2X3 receptors in the myenteric plexus of rat stomachZhenghua Xiang
Autonomic Neuroscience Institute, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, NW3 2PF, London, UK
Histochem Cell Biol 122:111-9. 2004Development of neurones and fibres expressing P2X3 receptors in the myenteric plexus of rat stomach and coexistence of the P2X3 receptor with calbindin, calretinin and NOS during postnatal development, were investigated with ..
- The primary cilium: A relevant characteristic in interstitial cells of rat duodenum enteric plexusConcepción Junquera Escribano
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Histol Histopathol 26:461-70. 2011..We have located three interstitial cellular types around the rat duodenum myenteric plexus. Type I cells have been identified as Interstitial Cells of Cajal (ICCs)...
- Protein kinase C modulates NMDA receptors in the myenteric plexus of the guinea pig ileum during in vitro ischemia and reperfusionC Giaroni
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:e91-103. 2011..Enhancement of glutamate overflow and the consequent activation of NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptors may participate to such changes by modulating different enteric neurotransmitter systems, including cholinergic motor pathways...
- Differential gene expression of adenosine A1, A2a, A2b, and A3 receptors in the human enteric nervous systemF L Christofi
Department of Anesthesiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Comp Neurol 439:46-64. 2001..Clear cell and regional differences exist in ADOR gene expression, distribution, localization, and coexpression...
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide and nitric oxide promote survival of adult rat myenteric neurons in cultureKatarina Sandgren
Department of Physiological Sciences, Neuroendocrine Cell Biology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Neurosci Res 72:595-602. 2003..VIP and NO significantly promoted neuronal survival. Corroborating this was the finding of an enhanced neuronal cell loss when cultures were grown in the presence of VIP antiserum or NOS inhibitor...
- Possible involvement of muscularis resident macrophages in impairment of interstitial cells of Cajal and myenteric nerve systems in rat models of TNBS-induced colitisKazuya Kinoshita
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 127:41-53. 2007..are distributed in the network of interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) and the myenteric nerve within the myenteric plexus. We evaluated changes in chemoattractant protein mRNA expression in macrophages and neutrophils, the ICC, ..
- Activation of smooth muscle and myenteric plexus cells of jejunum via Toll-like receptor 4Cristiano Rumio
Department of Human Morphology, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
J Cell Physiol 208:47-54. 2006..Smooth muscle and myenteric plexus cells but not enterocytes revealed receptor expression...
- The microenvironment in the Hirschsprung's disease gut supports myenteric plexus growthCornelia Irene Hagl
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 27:817-29. 2012..Influences of HSCR-smooth-muscle-protein extracts upon isolated myenteric plexus cells, dissociated dorsal root ganglia and NCSC were studied in vitro to investigate the quality of this ..
- Evidence for prion protein expression in enteroglial cells of the myenteric plexus of mouse intestineValeria Albanese
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Australia
Auton Neurosci 140:17-23. 2008..Our findings clearly indicate that EGCs of the mouse intestine constitutively express PrP(C); thus they could be a potential target for infectious prions...
- Neuromuscular changes in a rat model of colitisMariona Aulí
Department of Cell Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Veterinary Faculty, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Auton Neurosci 141:10-21. 2008..T. spiralis-induced colitis causes profound neuromuscular adaptations. The reduction in NOS neurons appears to underlie changes in motility...
- Loss of glia and neurons in the myenteric plexus of the aged Fischer 344 ratRobert J Phillips
Purdue University, Department of Psychological Sciences, 703 Third Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2081, USA
Anat Embryol (Berl) 209:19-30. 2004..Little, however, is known about how the glia constituting the supportive cells of the myenteric plexus may change with aging and the losses of the enteric neurons...
- The neurochemistry and innervation patterns of extrinsic sensory and sympathetic nerves in the myenteric plexus of the C57Bl6 mouse jejunumL L Tan
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Neuroscience 166:564-79. 2010..with immunohistochemical labelling was used to characterize the extrinsic nerve projections in the myenteric plexus of the mouse jejunum...
- Ultrastructure of interstitial cells of Cajal in myenteric plexus of human colonJüri Johannes Rumessen
Department of Gastroenterology F, Gentofte Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Cell Tissue Res 337:197-212. 2009The role of the interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) associated with the myenteric plexus (ICC-MP) as regulators of the motility of the colonic external muscle remains unclear...
- Electrical stimulation of the mucosa evokes slow EPSPs mediated by NK1 tachykinin receptors and by P2Y1 purinoceptors in different myenteric neuronsRachel M Gwynne
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G179-86. 2009..Segments of ileum or jejunum were dissected to allow access to the myenteric plexus adjacent to intact mucosa, in vitro. AH and S neurons were impaled with conventional intracellular electrodes...
- Evidence for opioid-induced release of glutamate in guinea pig longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus stripJosef Donnerer
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University Graz, Universitatsplatz 4, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Neurosci Lett 462:118-20. 2009By the use of longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus (LMMP) strips of the guinea pig ileum it should be investigated whether opioids can contribute to an excitatory component of the intestinal smooth muscle contractions...
- Ruminal muscle of sheep is innervated by non-polarized pathways of cholinergic and nitrergic myenteric neuronesHelga Pfannkuche
Veterinär Physiologisches Institut, Veterinärmedizinische Fakultät, Universitat Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 7, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 309:347-54. 2002..Cell bodies within the myenteric plexus projecting to the longitudinal or circular muscle layer were retrogradely labelled by direct application of ..
- T cells in the myenteric plexus of achalasia patients show a skewed TCR repertoire and react to HSV-1 antigensMonica Facco
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Hematology and Clinical Immunology Branch, Padua University School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1598-609. 2008....
- Vanilloid receptor type 1-immunoreactivity is expressed by intrinsic afferent neurones in the guinea-pig myenteric plexusSharon Anavi-Goffer
Department of Biomedical Science, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Neurosci Lett 319:53-7. 2002..of vanilloid receptor type 1 (VR1) and its relation to the intrinsic sensory neurones were studied in myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle preparations of rat ileum and guinea-pig ileum and colon...
- Neurochemical plasticity in the enteric nervous system of a primate animal model of experimental ParkinsonismT Chaumette
INSERM, U913, Nantes, France
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:215-22. 2009..In the myenteric plexus, there was a significant increase in the number of neurons per ganglia (identified with Hu), especially ..
- Enteric glia are targets of the sympathetic innervation of the myenteric plexus in the guinea pig distal colonBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
J Neurosci 30:6801-9. 2010..Therefore, enteric glia discern activity in adjacent synaptic pathways and selectively respond to sympathetic activation...
- Protein kinase C isoforms in the enteric nervous systemDaniel P Poole
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
Histochem Cell Biol 120:51-61. 2003..This study indicates a selective distribution of PKC isoforms to specific cell types. Isoform-specific activity of these enzymes could provide a means through which targeted modulation of intestinal function is achieved...
- Purinergic neuron-to-glia signaling in the enteric nervous systemBrian D Gulbransen
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 136:1349-58. 2009..We investigated whether enteric glia are activated by ATP released from enteric neurons...
- Chemical coding and electrophysiology of enteric neurons expressing neurofilament 145 in guinea pig gastrointestinal tractHong Zhen Hu
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, 1645 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210 1218, USA
J Comp Neurol 442:189-203. 2002..NF145 immunoreactivity (-IR) was present in ganglion cells with Dogiel type I morphology in the myenteric plexus of the stomach and small and large intestine...
- Choline acetyltransferase and inducible nitric oxide synthase are increased in myenteric plexus of diabetic guinea pigKathy J LePard
Department of Physiology, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Midwestern University, 555 West 31st Street, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
Auton Neurosci 118:12-24. 2005..neuronal nitric oxide synthase and inducible nitric oxide synthase were determined in longitudinal and myenteric plexus preparations using indirect immunohistochemistry...
- Protein kinases expressed by interstitial cells of CajalDaniel P Poole
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Parkville, Australia
Histochem Cell Biol 121:21-30. 2004..Double labelling studies were conducted on longitudinal muscle-myenteric plexus and external muscle-myenteric plexus preparations of the oesophagus, stomach (fundus, corpus and antrum), ..
- Signalling mechanism coupled to 5-hydroxytryptamine4 receptor-mediated facilitation of fast synaptic transmission in the guinea-pig ileum myenteric plexusJ J Galligan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and the Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 15:523-9. 2003..the signalling mechanisms that couple 5-HT4 receptor activation to increased transmitter release in the myenteric plexus are unknown...
- Morphology of VIP/nNOS-immunoreactive myenteric neurons in the human gutA Brehmer
Institute of Anatomy I, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Krankenhausstr 9, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 125:557-65. 2006..Of the axons which could be followed from the ganglion of origin within primary strands of the myenteric plexus beyond the next ganglion (70 out of 140 traced neurons), 94.3% run anally and 5.7% orally...
- Intestinal glucose-induced calcium-calmodulin kinase signaling in the gut-brain axis in awake ratsK M Vincent
Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Cell Biology, University of California Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:e282-93. 2011..The precise mechanisms involved in luminal glucose-sensing are not clear; studying gut endocrine cells is difficult due to their sparse and irregular localization within the epithelium...
- Postnatal development of myenteric neurochemical phenotype and impact on neuromuscular transmission in the rat colonP de Vries
INSERM U, Nantes, France
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 299:G539-47. 2010..Whole mounts of colonic myenteric plexus were stained with antibodies against choline acetyltransferase (ChAT), neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), ..
- Ketamine and the myenteric plexus in intestinal ischemia/reperfusion injuryFrancisco Javier Guzmán-De La Garza
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Dig Dis Sci 55:1878-85. 2010Intestinal ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) is a common clinical entity with severe consequences. We studied the effects of ketamine and the participation of the myenteric plexus in I/R injury.
- Evidence that cannabinoid-induced inhibition of electrically evoked contractions of the myenteric plexus--longitudinal muscle preparation of guinea-pig small intestine can be modulated by Ca2+ and cAMPA A Coutts
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Scotland
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:340-6. 1998Cannabinoid receptor agonists inhibit electrically evoked isometric contractions of the myenteric plexus--longitudinal muscle preparation of the guinea-pig small intestine (MPLM), probably by reducing release of acetylcholine (ACh) ..
- Mechanosensitive enteric neurons in the myenteric plexus of the mouse intestineGemma Mazzuoli
Human Biology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e39887. 2012..The aim of this study was to validate this concept by studying its applicability to other species or gut regions...
- Correlation of morphology, electrophysiology and chemistry of neurons in the myenteric plexus of the guinea-pig distal colonA E Lomax
Department of Anatomy, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Auton Nerv Syst 76:45-61. 1999....
- Regional variation in the neurochemical coding of the myenteric plexus of the human colon and changes in patients with slow transit constipationD Wattchow
Department of Surgery, Flinders University of South Australia, Beford Park, South Australia, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:1298-305. 2008..We have applied new methods of quantification of markers in whole mounts of the colonic myenteric plexus to compare density of innervation between regions and between normal patients and those undergoing resection ..
- Vagus nerve participates in CCK-induced Fos expression in hindbrain but not myenteric plexusA I Sayegh
Neuroscience Program, Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology and Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Brain Res 878:155-62. 2000..However, vagotomy or capsaicin treatment did not diminish CCK-induced Fos expression in the small intestinal myenteric plexus. We conclude that CCK-induced activation of intestinal myenteric neurons does not depend on activation of ..
- Intracellular recordings from myenteric neurones in the human colonS J Brookes
Gastrointestinal Science Research Unit, London Hospital Medical College
J Physiol 390:305-18. 19871. Intracellular recordings were made from cells in the myenteric plexus of the human colon in freshly dissected tissue obtained from patients undergoing surgery for the removal of carcinomas or diverticular bowel. 2...
- Tolerance to cannabinoid response on the myenteric plexus of guinea-pig ileum and human small intestinal stripsFabio Guagnini
Research Center Sanofi Midy, Exploratory Research Department, Sanofi aventis S p A, Via G B Piranesi 38, Milan 20137, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 148:1165-73. 2006..of electrically evoked contractions of longitudinal muscle from small intestine of human and guinea-pig (myenteric plexus preparations) after 48-h incubation with the synthetic agonist (+) WIN 55,212-2...
- Endogenous cholecystokinin reduces food intake and increases Fos-like immunoreactivity in the dorsal vagal complex but not in the myenteric plexus by CCK1 receptor in the adult ratCherese N Sullivan
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R1071-80. 2007..CCK, by orogastric gavage, and Fos-like immunoreactivity (Fos-LI) was quantified in the DVC and the myenteric plexus. The results for endogenous CCK were compared with those for exogenous CCK-8...
- Nitric oxide regulation of colonic epithelial ion transport: a novel role for enteric glia in the myenteric plexusSarah J Maceachern
Hotchkiss Brain Institute and Snyder Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 4N1
J Physiol 589:3333-48. 2011..Here we tested the hypothesis that nicotinic signalling in the myenteric plexus results in the release of nitric oxide (NO) from neurons and enteric glia to modulate epithelial ion ..
- Evidence for both inverse agonism at the cannabinoid CB1 receptor and the lack of an endogenous cannabinoid tone in the rat and guinea-pig isolated ileum myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle preparationR Makwana
The Sackler Institute of Pulmonary Pharmacology, King s College London, Waterloo Campus, London, UK
Br J Pharmacol 160:615-26. 2010..Using rat and guinea-pig ileum MPLM (myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle) preparations, we investigated whether the latter effect was through inverse agonism or ..
- Evidence for the presence of motilin, ghrelin, and the motilin and ghrelin receptor in neurons of the myenteric plexusLuo Xu
Center for Gastroenterological Research, University of Leuven, Gasthuisberg O and N, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Regul Pept 124:119-25. 2005..aim of this study was to look for the existence of motilin, ghrelin, and their respective receptors in the myenteric plexus of the guinea pig...
- Two-dimensional alterations of myenteric plexus in jejunoileal atresiaY Watanabe
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine and Anjo Kosei Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 36:474-8. 2001PURPOSE: The purpose of this report is to investigate changes in the myenteric plexus associated with the dilated proximal segment of jejunoileal atresia (JA)...
- Pharmacological characterization of cannabinoid receptor activity in the rat-isolated ileum myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle preparationR Makwana
The Sackler Institute of Pulmonary Pharmacology, King s College London, UK
Br J Pharmacol 159:1608-22. 2010..mesylate (WIN 55,212-2), arachidonylethanolamide (AEA) and Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta(9)-THC) on contractions of the rat ileum myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle (MPLM) preparation.
- Identification of GFR alpha-2 isoforms in myenteric plexus of postnatal and adult rat intestineNazanin F Dolatshad
Department of Biological Sciences, Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA, UK
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 107:32-8. 2002..All three isoforms were expressed in the brain, kidney, and intestine of both postnatal and adult rats...
- Proteomics of the rat gut: analysis of the myenteric plexus-longitudinal muscle preparationLaure Marvin-Guy
Bioanalytical Sciences, Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
Proteomics 5:2561-9. 2005..The nervous control of intestinal motility is primarily governed by the myenteric plexus (MP), which lies in-between the longitudinal- (LM) and circular-muscle layers and regulates their functions...
- Differential effects of VIP and PACAP on survival of cultured adult rat myenteric neuronsKatarina Sandgren
Department of Physiological Sciences, Neuroendocrine Cell Biology, BMC F10, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Regul Pept 111:211-7. 2003..We were thus able to demonstrate that VIP, but not PACAP, promoted survival of myenteric neurons in culture. This suggests the presence of a VIP-specific receptor mediating neuroprotection in adult myenteric neurons...
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide rescues cultured rat myenteric neurons from lipopolysaccharide induced cell deathMarcin B Arciszewski
Department of Animal Anatomy and Histology, Agricultural University, Lublin, Poland
Regul Pept 146:218-23. 2008..Simultaneous addition of LPS and VIP to the neuronal cultures resulted in a neuronal survival comparable to controls...
- Na+, K+ ATPase alpha-subunit isoform distribution and abundance in guinea-pig longitudinal muscle/myenteric plexus after exposure to morphineP S Biser
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506 9223, USA
Brain Res 931:186-93. 2002Previous work in the myenteric plexus has shown that the resting membrane potential of morphine-tolerant guinea-pig myenteric S neurons is significantly depolarized relative to placebo-implanted controls, and that this depolarization is ..
- Phosphorylation of NMDA NR1 subunits in the myenteric plexus during TNBS induced colitisQiQi Zhou
Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Gainesville, FL 32610 0214, USA
Neurosci Lett 406:250-5. 2006..Phosphorylation of NR1 may partially explain visceral hypersensitivity present during colonic inflammation...
- Spatial pattern analysis of nitrergic neurons in the myenteric plexus of the duodenum of different mammalian speciesNikolett Bódi
University of Szeged Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Neuroscience Szeged Hungary
Acta Biol Hung 60:347-58. 2009..In the present work, the density and the spatial organization of the nitrergic neurons in the myenteric plexus of the duodenum were investigated in 7 mammalian species...
- Myenteric plexus in spastic motility disordersJ K Champion
Department of Surgery, Mercer University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, U S A
J Gastrointest Surg 5:514-6. 2001..We undertook a prospective study to determine whether microscopic changes were present in the myenteric plexus of patients with hypertensive lower esophageal sphincter, nutcracker esophagus, and diffuse esophageal spasm ..
- Combined determination with functional and morphological studies of origin of nerve fibers expressing transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 in the myenteric plexus of the rat jejunumMakoto Kadowaki
Division of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology, Department of Bioscience, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Auton Neurosci 116:11-8. 2004..01), respectively. Therefore, we investigated the distribution of TRPV1-immunoreactivity (IR) in the myenteric plexus of the rat jejunum...
- Ulcerative colitis: ultrastructure of interstitial cells in myenteric plexusJ J Rumessen
Department of Gastroenterology F, Gentofte Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Ultrastruct Pathol 34:279-87. 2010..FLC enclosed macrophages (MLC), which were in close contact with naked axon terminals. The organization and cytological changes may be of pathophysiological significance in patients with UC...
- Age-related changes in the morphology of the myenteric plexus of the human colonMenachem Hanani
Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem 91240, Israel
Auton Neurosci 113:71-8. 2004..These findings indicate that there is an increase with age in the number of abnormally appearing myenteric ganglia in the human colon, which may contribute to the disturbed colonic motility in the aging population...
- Cellular distribution of vanilloid VR1 receptor immunoreactivity in the guinea-pig myenteric plexusSharon Anavi-Goffer
Department of Biomedical Science, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Scotland AB25 2ZD, Aberdeen, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 458:61-71. 2003..We have determined and quantified this immunoreactivity in the myenteric plexus with respect to cholinergic and neurofilament protein-positive neurones...
- Peristalsis is impaired in the small intestine of mice lacking the P2X3 subunitXiaochun Bian
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Physiol 551:309-22. 2003..P2X3 subunits are localized to AH (sensory) but not S neurons. P2X3 receptors may contribute to detection of distention or intraluminal pressure increases and initiation of reflex contractions...
- Diabetic autonomic neuropathy: evidence for apoptosis in situ in the ratC Guo
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 16:335-45. 2004..in regulating gut function: (i) dorsal root ganglion (DRG), (ii) vagus nodose ganglion and (iii) colon myenteric plexus. A validated streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat model and age-matched healthy controls were studied...
- Inhibitory effects of galanin on evoked [Ca2+]i responses in cultured myenteric neuronsGiovanni Sarnelli
Center for Gastroenterological Research, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 286:G1009-14. 2004..Finally, the inhibitory effect of galanin on electrical stimulation, but not on DMPP- and carbachol-induced responses, suggests that, at least for the cholinergic component, galanin acts at the presynaptic level...
- Quantification of neurons in the myenteric plexus: an evaluation of putative pan-neuronal markersRobert J Phillips
Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, 703 Third Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2081, USA
J Neurosci Methods 133:99-107. 2004..Neurons in the myenteric plexus of wholemounts taken from the small intestines of Fischer 344 rats were stained using Cuprolinic Blue, anti-..
- Lack of serotonin 5-HT2B receptor alters proliferation and network volume of interstitial cells of Cajal in vivoV S Tharayil
Miles and Shirley Fiterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:462-9, e109-10. 2010..The aims of this study were to investigate if adult ICC proliferate, whether the proliferation of ICC in vivo is affected by knocking out the 5-HT(2B) receptor, and if alterations in proliferation affect ICC networks...
- Microelectrode array evaluation of gut pacemaker activity in wild-type and W/W(v) miceShinsuke Nakayama
Department of Cell Physiology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Biosens Bioelectron 25:61-7. 2009Interstitial cells of Cajal in the myenteric plexus region (ICC-MyP) form a network and generate basal pacemaking electrical activity...
- Indiscriminate loss of myenteric neurones in the TNBS-inflamed guinea-pig distal colonD R Linden
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, The University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, 05405, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 17:751-60. 2005..trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-colitis was associated with a change in the number of neurones of the myenteric plexus, and, if so, whether select subpopulations of neurones were affected...
- Cholinergic and nitrergic interneurones in the myenteric plexus of the human colonA J Porter
Department of Surgery and Centre for Neuroscience, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Gut 51:70-5. 2002..Myenteric interneurones are involved in the reflexes that control the motility of the human colon...
- Slow excitatory synaptic potentials evoked by distension in myenteric descending interneurones of guinea-pig ileumP D J Thornton
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
J Physiol 539:589-602. 2002..Thus, distension evokes slow EPSPs in a subset of myenteric neurones, which may be important for intestinal motility...
- Classes of enteric nerve cells in the guinea-pig small intestineS J Brookes
Department of Human Physiology and Centre for Neuroscience, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Anat Rec 262:58-70. 2001..This provides a firm anatomical foundation for the systematic analysis of how the enteric nervous system normally functions and how it goes wrong in various clinically important disorders...
- Multifunctional rapidly adapting mechanosensitive enteric neurons (RAMEN) in the myenteric plexus of the guinea pig ileumGemma Mazzuoli
Human Biology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Hochfeldweg 2, D 85350 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
J Physiol 587:4681-94. 2009..imaging we identified rapidly adapting mechanosensitive enteric neurons (RAMEN, 25% of all neurons) in the myenteric plexus of the guinea pig ileum...
- Changes in colonic motility and the electrophysiological properties of myenteric neurons persist following recovery from trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid colitis in the guinea pigE M Krauter
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, The University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:990-1000. 2007....
- Interstitial cells of Cajal are functionally innervated by excitatory motor neurones in the murine intestineSatoshi Iino
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV 89557, USA
J Physiol 556:521-30. 2004..These data suggest that ICC-DMP are primary targets for neurokinins released from enteric motor neurones in the intestine...
- Simultaneous imaging of Ca2+ signals in interstitial cells of Cajal and longitudinal smooth muscle cells during rhythmic activity in mouse ileumToshiko Yamazawa
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Physiol 538:823-35. 2002..These results suggest that myenteric ICC may play multiple roles including pace making for physiological bowel movement...
- Lymphocyte-mediated regulation of beta-endorphin in the myenteric plexusMonica Verma-Gandhu
Intestinal Disease Research Programme, McMaster Univ, 1200 Main St, HSC Bldg, Rm 3N5C, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G344-8. 2007..In this study, we investigated the relationship between T cells and opioid expression in the myenteric plexus. We examined opioid peptide and receptor expression in the myenteric plexus in the presence and absence of ..
- Morphoquantitative effects of acute diabetes on the myenteric neurons of the proximal colon of adult ratsMaria Montserrat D P Furlan
Departamento de Ciências Morfofisiológicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Maringa, PR, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:576-81. 2002..These observations were discussed in terms of the pathophysiology of the diabetes and the experimental protocol...
- Integration of mucosal immune responses through the enteric nervous systemDANIEL S MUCIDA; Fiscal Year: 2013..These axons extend towards the myenteric plexus, where they are also surrounded by a previously unappreciated population of APCs...
- Using Electrochemical Methods to Probe Neuronal Signaling in the GI TractGreg M Swain; Fiscal Year: 2010..propose to expand the scope of the studies to include dopamine (DA) and norepinephrine (NE) released in the myenteric plexus. These studies, which have significant relevance for pediatric health, will be performed as a function of ..
- Opioid tolerance and bowel dysfunctionWilliam L Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 3 will explore the effect of long-term morphine on isolated enteric neurons from the adult mouse myenteric plexus. In this aim, single enteric neurons from the colon and ileum will be characterized and tested to determine ..
- Mechanosensory Motor Neurons of Lower Esophageal SphincterRavinder K Mittal; Fiscal Year: 2013..is neurogenic, mediated by vagus nerve which synapses with the inhibitory motor neurons located in the myenteric plexus of the esophagus...
- Role of clock genes in colonic motilityChung Owyang; Fiscal Year: 2010..We show colonic clock gene expression in the myenteric plexus, an important site of neurotransmitter synthesis...
- Purinergic neurotransmission in the gutJames J Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific aim 2 will focus on Ca2+ channels expressed by interneurons in the myenteric plexus. Interneurons which project in an oral-anal direction release acetylcholine (ACh) and ATP as fast synaptic ..
- Modulation of Colonic Response to Stress by Peripheral CRF2 ReceptorsMILLION MULUGETA; Fiscal Year: 2012..CRF1 mediated acetylcholine release and promotes inhibitory neurotransmitters release in longitudinal muscle myenteric plexus (LMMP) tissue and primary colonic myenteric neuron culture...
- Gastrointestinal Tract Innervation: Patterns of AgingTerry L Powley; Fiscal Year: 2012..The neuroscience of the aging GI tract has largely focused on the myenteric plexus in a few intestinal regions, while ignoring some organs (e.g., the stomach), some enteric elements (e.g...
- WATER AND ELECTROLYTE TRANSPORT BY THE INTESTINEKENNETH HUBEL; Fiscal Year: 1990..Peptides that are present in varicosities or nerve endings arising from fibers of the myenteric plexus will be studied because of their probable physiological relevance...
- NEW MUSCARINIC AGENTS--SELECTIVITY OF ACTIONFrank Carroll; Fiscal Year: 1990..muscle; b) vascular smooth muscle (endothelium intact); c) cardiac muscle - guinea pig atria; d) guinea pig myenteric plexus (effects on agonist and electrically induced release of acetylcholine); e) amylase release; and 2) ..
- PATCH CLAMP STUDY OF GASTROINTESTINAL NEURONSJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 1999This is a proposal for a patch clamp study of ionic currents in neurons of the myenteric plexus from the guinea-pig small intestine...
- INTERACTION OF DRUGS WITH BRAIN ACETYLCHOLINEDONALD JENDEN; Fiscal Year: 1992..acetylation, and of acetylcholine storage and release, will be studied in vitro in synaptosomes, guinea pig myenteric plexus, rat brain slices and other model systems, and in vivo in rats...
- ORPHANIN FQ (OFQ) EFFECTS ON RAT COLONIC MOTILITYToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Based on our preliminary studies, we hypothesized that OFQ acts on colonic myenteric plexus and causes contractions by inhibiting an inhibitory ATP neural pathway of the colonic myenteric plexus...
- MECHANISMS OF SLOW SYNAPTIC EXCITATION IN ENTERIC NERVESJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 1999..methods to establish that these neurons are similar to neurons studied in intact preparations of myenteric plexus in vitro...
- PHYSIOLOGY & PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ESOPHAGEAL MOTILITYRaj Goyal; Fiscal Year: 1993..These studies will also extend to the morphology and morphometry of the myenteric plexus, using our recently-developed rapid non-silver method and our technique of ganglionic isolation...
- SYMPATHETIC AND PEPTIDERGIC CONTROL OF COLON MOTILITYJEAN JEW; Fiscal Year: 1990..dye tracing to trace substance P and vasoactiveintestinal; polypeptide (VIP) connections between the myenteric plexus, the IMG and the dorsal root ganglia. 1...
- CONTROL OF MOTILITY IN THE SPHINCTER OF ODDIGary Mawe; Fiscal Year: 2001..A double chamber organ both will be used to determine whether activation of the duodenal myenteric plexus and agents that release CCK, cause and increase in neuronal activity in the SO...
- Autoimmune Mechanisms of Diabetic NeuropathyJohn W Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2010..examining whether autophagy is activated in situ in primary neurons (nodose ganglia, dorsal root ganglia and myenteric plexus) obtained from the female Zucker Diabetic Fatty rat, an inducible model of type 2 diabetes and the ..
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN GASTROINTESTINAL NEURONSJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 1990..cAMP determinations will be made in a newly-developed preparation consisting of dissociated ganglia from the myenteric plexus of guinea-pig small intestine.
- Mechanisms of Fast Synaptic Facilitation in ColitisEric Krauter; Fiscal Year: 2007..The hypothesis to be tested is that synaptic facilitation in the myenteric plexus of the inflamed colon is due to a change in the presynaptic neurotransmitter release mechanism, and is ..
- MULTIPLE SITE OPTICAL RECORDING OF MEMBRANE POTENTIALBRIAN SALZBERG; Fiscal Year: 2009..These reflex pathways, that project through the myenteric plexus to the submucosa, serve as examples of the mechanisms, built into ENS networks, which coordinate mucosal ..
- MEMBRANE POTENTIAL AND MORPHINE TOLERANCEWilliam Fleming; Fiscal Year: 1999..in responsiveness have investigated the development of tolerance following chronic opioid treatment using the myenteric plexus and nucleus tractus solitarius of the guinea pig as model systems...
- ROLE OF GALANIN RECEPTORS IN GASTROINTESTINAL MOTILITYCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2006..aim 2 will characterize the role of GAL-Rs on galanin inhibition of neurogenic transmission using the muscle-myenteric plexus preparations of the guinea pig ileum in vitro...
- GASTRIC NEUROPEPTIDASES/PEPTIDE RECEPTOR INTERACTIONSCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2002..We also plan to characterize GRP receptor recycling and resensitization in cells that normally express GRP receptors: gastric G cells, Swiss 3T3 cells, and small cell lung carcinoma line NCI-H345 cells. ..
- mu Opioid Receptor Function in the Enteric Nervous SystemCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Chemosensing in the Gastrointestinal TractCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PURDUE INTEGRATIVE NEUROSCIENCE PROGRAMTERRY POWLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..Students trained in the interdisciplinary Purdue Integrative Neuroscience program will make substantial contributions to mental health research and its applications in the next century. ..
- AUTONOMIC CONTROL OF BODY WEIGHT AND FEEDINGTERRY POWLEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Enteric Nervous System 2003Keith Sharkey; Fiscal Year: 2003..From this picture there will be gaps - these are the challenges for the future. ..
- Regulatory Molecules in Enteric Nervous SystemALCMENE CHALAZONITIS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- EXTRINSIC CONTROL OF GASTROINTESTINAL MOTILITYJOSEPH SZURSZEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..The basic knowledge derived from our studies is expected to improve the understanding of the functional significance of the molecular components of mechanosensitivity and chemosensitivity of intestinal afferent nerves. ..
- PRESYNAPTIC MECHANISMS IN THE INTESTINEJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2008..the hypothesis that that there are presynaptic nicotinic and P2X receptors on sensory nerve endings in the myenteric plexus. Data from these studies will contribute to our understanding of neuronal control of GI function...
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE VAGAL-ENTERIC INTERFACEHans Rudolf Berthoud; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will study whether acupuncture shortens the period of postoperative ileus in rats. This study would provide beneficial information for patients with gastroparesis and postoperative ileus. ..
- Acetylcholine in Diabetic Enteric Nervous SystemKATHY LEPARD; Fiscal Year: 2004..Once these adaptations are understood, GI complications experienced by diabetic patients can be more effectively treated. ..
- Non-Homeostatic Neural Controls of Food IntakeHans Rudolf Berthoud; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- SACRAL CREST CELLS AND ENTERIC NEURODEVELOPMENTRaj Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study will further our understanding of normal enteric neurodevelopment and congenital disorders of intestinal motility. ..
- ENTERIC NEURONS: 5HT, 5HT2B RECEPTORS AND DEVELOPMENTElena Fiorica Howells; Fiscal Year: 2001..in the intestine; moreover, she has cloned the 5-HT2B receptor from isolated ganglia of the guinea pig myenteric plexus, as well as from the small intestine of the rat and mouse...
- Experimental approaches to understanding the ENS and its disordersJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will help the attendees develop a network of professional contacts who can help the young investigator in the career development process. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Lipid Rafts in Adenylyl Cyclase SensitizationJohn Traynor; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OPIOID RECEPTOR MECHANISMSJohn R Traynor; Fiscal Year: 2010..An understanding of roles for RGS proteins in the actions of mu-opioids may lead to improvements in the treatment of pain as well as treatment of opioid and stimulant abuse. ..