Genomes and Genes
rod outer segments
Summary: The portion of the retinal rod cell between the inner segment and the pigment epithelium layer of the retina.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Rhodopsin signaling and organization in heterozygote rhodopsin knockout miceYan Liang
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 279:48189-96. 2004Rhodopsin (Rho) resides within internal membrane structures called disc membranes that are found in the rod outer segments (ROS) of photoreceptors in the retina...
- Reduced G protein-coupled signaling efficiency in retinal rod outer segments in response to n-3 fatty acid deficiencyShui Lin Niu
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
J Biol Chem 279:31098-104. 2004....
- Three-dimensional architecture of murine rod outer segments determined by cryoelectron tomographyStephan Nickell
Department of Molecular Structural Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Cell Biol 177:917-25. 2007..Spacers were found distributed throughout the discs, including regions that are distant from the rim region of discs...
- G protein-coupled receptor rhodopsinKrzysztof Palczewski
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4965, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 75:743-67. 2006..in the retina, its specific localization in the internal disks of the photoreceptor structures [termed rod outer segments (ROS)], and the lack of other highly abundant membrane proteins allow rhodopsin to be examined in the native ..
- Phospholipase D from photoreceptor rod outer segments is a downstream effector of RhoA: evidence of a light-dependent mechanismGabriela A Salvador
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas de Bahia Blanca, Universidad Nacional del Sur and Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, C C 857, B8000FWB Bahia Blanca, Argentina
Exp Eye Res 83:202-11. 2006Photoreceptor cells contain rod outer segments (ROS) which are specialized light-sensitive organelles. The biological function of ROS is to generate a photoresponse, which occurs via the classic transducin-mediated pathway...
- Dark adaptation and the retinoid cycle of visionT D Lamb
Division of Neuroscience, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Prog Retin Eye Res 23:307-80. 2004..bleach the recovery is limited by the rate at which 11-cis retinal is delivered to opsin in the bleached rod outer segments. We present a mathematical model that successfully describes a wide range of results in human and other ..
- Low docosahexaenoic acid levels in rod outer segments of rats with P23H and S334ter rhodopsin mutationsRobert E Anderson
Department of Cell Biology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Mol Vis 8:351-8. 2002..In the present study, we analyzed the ROS fatty composition of several lines of transgenic rats with P23H and S334ter rhodopsin mutations. Lines were chosen that have different rates of retinal degeneration...
- Differential modification of phosducin protein in degenerating rd1 retina is associated with constitutively active Ca2+/calmodulin kinase II in rod outer segmentsStefanie M Hauck
GSF National Research Centre for Environment and Health, Institute of Human Genetics, Neuherberg 85764, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:324-36. 2006..Given the increased rod calcium levels present in the rd1 mutation, calcium-evoked overactivation of this kinase may be an early and long sought for step in events leading to photoreceptor degeneration in the rd1 mouse...
- Mathematical model of the spatio-temporal dynamics of second messengers in visual transductionD Andreucci
Dipartimento di Metodi e Modelli Matematici, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
Biophys J 85:1358-76. 2003..This approach represents a tool to analyze point-wise signaling dynamics without requiring averaging over the entire cell by global Michaelis-Menten kinetics...
- Light-induced changes in protein nitration in photoreceptor rod outer segmentsVikram Palamalai
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA
Mol Vis 12:1543-51. 2006..To better understand the role of protein nitration in photoreceptor cell death induced by intense light, we examined retinal protein nitration and identified target proteins in rod outer segments (ROS).
- Detecting molecular interactions that stabilize native bovine rhodopsinK Tanuj Sapra
Center for Biotechnology, University of Technology, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Mol Biol 358:255-69. 2006..These changes highlight the structural importance of this disulfide bond and may form the basis of dysfunctions associated with its absence...
- Transducin subunit stoichiometry and cellular distribution in rod outer segmentsJames W Clack
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Purdue University at Indianapolis, 4601 Central Ave, Columbus, IN 47203, USA
Cell Biol Int 30:829-35. 2006..elute G(alphat) and that there is an overall three to fourfold molar excess of G(betagamma) to G(alphat) in rod outer segments. These results suggest that the production and/or turnover of G(alphat), G(beta), and G(gamma) in the rod ..
- Cholesterol-dependent association of caveolin-1 with the transducin alpha subunit in bovine photoreceptor rod outer segments: disruption by cyclodextrin and guanosine 5'-O-(3-thiotriphosphate)Michael H Elliott
Dean A McGee Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Biochemistry 42:7892-903. 2003..Detergent-resistant membranes isolated from rod outer segments (ROS) have been previously shown to contain the photoreceptor G-protein, transducin...
- Alterations in retinal rod outer segment fatty acids and light-damage susceptibility in P23H ratsIna Rea Bicknell
Petticrew Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, Wright State University, Cox Institute, Dayton, OH 45429, USA
Mol Vis 8:333-40. 2002To determine whether dietary-induced alterations in the long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid content of retinal rod outer segments (ROS) of P23H rats, a transgenic model of retinitis pigmentosa (RP), prolongs photoreceptor cell life.
- In vivo regulation of phosphoinositide 3-kinase in retina through light-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of the insulin receptor beta-subunitRaju V S Rajala
Department of Cell Biology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43319-26. 2002..We suggest that the physiological role of this process may be to provide neuroprotection of the retina against light damage by activating proteins that protect against stress-induced apoptosis...
- Lumi I --> Lumi II: the last detergent independent process in rhodopsin photoexcitationtJacqueline Epps
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
Photochem Photobiol 82:1436-41. 2006..The blue shift is similar to one induced by chloride ion in the E181Q rhodopsin mutant and may indicate that the ionization state of Glu181 in rhodopsin is affected by detergent...
- Mutation R238E in transducin-alpha yields a GTPase and effector-deficient, but not dominant-negative, G-protein alpha-subunitBrandy Barren
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mol Vis 12:492-8. 2006..We thought to further investigate a novel mutant of the transducin-alpha subunit, R238E, that was recently reported to be a dominant-negative inhibitor of the rhodopsin/transducin/PDE visual system...
- Structure of rhodopsin in monolayers at the air-water interface: a PM-IRRAS and X-ray reflectivity studyHugo Lavoie
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
Biochemistry 41:13424-34. 2002..In addition, the PM-IRRAS spectra of rod outer segment disk membranes in monolayers suggest that rhodopsin also retained its secondary structure in these films...
- Expression of metallothionein isoforms in human chorioretinal complexDavid J Tate
Sensory and Electrophysiology Research Unit, Touro Infirmary, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Curr Eye Res 24:12-25. 2002..To determine the relative expression of metallothionein isoforms and their differential induction by oxidative stress in cultured RPE cells and to localize the isoforms in the human chorioretinal complex...
- Species-specific subcellular localization of RPGR and RPGRIP isoforms: implications for the phenotypic variability of congenital retinopathies among speciesTimur A Mavlyutov
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Hum Mol Genet 11:1899-907. 2002....
- Suramin affects coupling of rhodopsin to transducinNicole Lehmann
Institut für Molekulare Medizin und Zellforschung, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Biophys J 82:793-802. 2002..Disruption of membrane anchoring may contribute to some of the effects of suramin exerted on other G-proteins...
- Signal-dependent translocation of transducin, RGS9-1-Gbeta5L complex, and arrestin to detergent-resistant membrane rafts in photoreceptorsK Saidas Nair
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Curr Biol 12:421-5. 2002..These findings could reveal a novel mechanism utilized by the cells for regulation of G protein-mediated signal transduction...
- Activation of rhodopsin kinaseNina E M McCarthy
Department of Biochemistry, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, Hants, U K
Biochem J 363:359-64. 2002..These results led to the conclusion that all the derivatives of opsin, which contain the Schiff base linkage with the all-trans-retinylidene moiety, retain the ability to activate RK...
- Reversal of functional loss in the P23H-3 rat retina by management of ambient lightCamilla Jozwick
CNS Stability and Degeneration Group and ARC Centre of Excellence in Vision Science, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, PO Box 475, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Exp Eye Res 83:1074-80. 2006..Restriction of ambient light may benefit comparable human forms of retinal degeneration in two ways, by reducing the rate of photoreceptor death and by inducing functional recovery in surviving photoreceptors...
- Electrostatic properties of membrane lipids coupled to metarhodopsin II formation in visual transductionYin Wang
Department of Physics, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:7690-701. 2002..Moreover, they yield knowledge of how membrane lipid-protein interactions involving acidic phospholipids such as PS and neutral polyunsaturated DHA chains are implicated in key biological functions such as vision...
- Relative orientation between the beta-ionone ring and the polyene chain for the chromophore of rhodopsin in native membranesPaul J R Spooner
The Biomembrane Structure Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, United Kingdom
Biochemistry 41:7549-55. 2002..The more precise distance measurement made here between C8 and C18 (2.95 A) predicts that the chain is twisted out-of-plane with respect to the ring by a modest amount (C5-C6-C7-C8 torsion angle = -28 +/- 7 degrees )...
- Effect of light and protein phosphorylation on photoreceptor rod outer segment acyltransferase activityP I Castagnet
Institute de Investigaciones Bioquímicas, Universidad Nacional del Sur y Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, B8000FWB Bahia Blanca, Argentina
Arch Biochem Biophys 403:83-91. 2002b>Rod outer segments (ROS) exhibit high acyltransferase (AT) activity, the preferred substrate of which being lysophosphatidylcholine...
- Light-induced changes in the structure and accessibility of the cytoplasmic loops of rhodopsin in the activated MII stateThorsten Mielke
Biophysics Group, Department of Physics, Freie Universitat Berlin, Arnimallee 14, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Biochemistry 41:7875-84. 2002....
- Distribution and translocation of photoreceptor Gbetagamma-phosducin system in medaka retinaShintaro Yamamoto
Department of Earth and Space Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan
Photochem Photobiol 83:35-9. 2007..In rod outer segments (ROS), PD-R reactivity was stronger in light-adapted retina than in dark-adapted retina...
- Functional and structural characterization of rhodopsin oligomersBeata Jastrzebska
Department of Pharmacology, Case School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 281:11917-22. 2006..Our studies provide direct comparisons between signaling properties of Meta II in different quaternary complexes...
- Agonists and partial agonists of rhodopsin: retinal polyene methylation affects receptor activationReiner Vogel
Biophysics Group, Institut für Molekulare Medizin und Zellforschung, Albert Ludwigs Universitat Freiburg, Hermann Herder Strasse 9, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Biochemistry 45:1640-52. 2006..The 9-methyl group appears therefore essential for the correct positioning of retinal to link protonation of the cytoplasmic motif with protonation of Glu 113 during receptor activation...
- The supramolecular structure of the GPCR rhodopsin in solution and native disc membranesKitaru Suda
ME Muller Institute for Microscopy, Biozentrum, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Mol Membr Biol 21:435-46. 2004Rhodopsin, the prototypical G-protein-coupled receptor, which is densely packed in the disc membranes of rod outer segments, was proposed to function as a monomer...
- From candelas to photoisomerizations in the mouse eye by rhodopsin bleaching in situ and the light-rearing dependence of the major components of the mouse ERGArkady L Lyubarsky
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, F M Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Stellar Chance Building, Room 309B, 422 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6069, USA
Vision Res 44:3235-51. 2004..The intensity that produces a half-saturating rod b-wave response is 0.3-0.6 photoisomerizations rod(-1), and the amplification constant of the rod a-wave is 5-6 s(-2) photoisomerization(-1), with little dependence on the strain...
- Evaluation of the 17-kDa prenyl-binding protein as a regulatory protein for phototransduction in retinal photoreceptorsAngela W Norton
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824 2617, USA
J Biol Chem 280:1248-56. 2005....
- Constraints on the conformation of the cytoplasmic face of dark-adapted and light-excited rhodopsin inferred from antirhodopsin antibody imprintsBrian W Bailey
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 3520, USA
Protein Sci 12:2453-75. 2003....
- Chemical modification of transducin with dansyl chloride hinders its binding to light-activated rhodopsinAna Kosoy
Departamento de Quimica, Universidad Simon Bolivar, Caracas 1081 A, Venezuela
J Biochem Mol Biol 37:260-7. 2004Transducin (T), the heterotrimeric guanine nucleotide binding protein in rod outer segments, serves as an intermediary between the receptor protein, rhodopsin, and the effector protein, cGMP phosphodiesterase...
- Probing rhodopsin-transducin interactions by surface modification and mass spectrometryXin Wang
Department of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Biochemistry 43:11153-62. 2004..In addition, we show evidence of interaction between the end of the C-terminal tail of rhodopsin and G(t)alpha in the unactivated state of rhodopsin...
- Analysis of the molecular interaction of the farnesyl moiety of transducin through the use of a photoreactive farnesyl analogueKen ichi Hagiwara
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Biochemistry 43:300-9. 2004..These results illustrate that, rather than being a static membrane anchor, the farnesyl moiety plays an active role in the dynamics of protein-protein and protein-membrane interactions at defined steps in the signal transduction process...
- Changes in retinal pigment epithelial gene expression induced by rod outer segment uptakeItay Chowers
Guerrieri Center for Genetic Engineering and Molecular Ophthalmology, Wilmer Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:2098-106. 2004..The goal of this study was to find additional genes involved in ROS uptake and degradation by identifying ROS-induced gene expression changes...
- Direct binding of visual arrestin to microtubules determines the differential subcellular localization of its splice variants in rod photoreceptorsK Saidas Nair
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology and Neuroscience Program, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Biol Chem 279:41240-8. 2004....
- Immobilization of native membrane-bound rhodopsin on biosensor surfacesJasmina Minic
INRA, Neurobiologie de l Olfaction et de la Prise Alimentaire, Equipe Récepteurs et Communication Chimique, Domaine de Vilvert, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1724:324-32. 2005..Therefore, such receptor immobilization method is attractive for a range of applications, especially in the field of GPCR biosensors...
- Enhancement of G protein-coupled signaling by DHA phospholipidsDrake C Mitchell
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8115, USA
Lipids 38:437-43. 2003..Our results indicate that efficient and rapid propagation of G protein-coupled signaling is optimized by DHA phospholipid acyl chains...
- Phosphorylation of GRK1 and GRK7 by cAMP-dependent protein kinase attenuates their enzymatic activitiesThierry J Horner
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Carolina 27599 7090, USA
J Biol Chem 280:28241-50. 2005..b>Rod outer segments isolated from bovine retina phosphorylated the FLAG-tagged GRKs in the presence of dibutyryl-cAMP, ..
- Retarded outer segment development in TrkB knockout mouse retina organ cultureBaerbel Rohrer
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Mol Vis 9:18-23. 2003..To determine the effects of trkB deficiency in the mouse retina on photoreceptor development and retinal organization, in the absence of confounding systemic effects...
- A morphometric study of light-induced damage in transgenic rat models of retinitis pigmentosaDana K Vaughan
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Department of Biology, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:848-55. 2003..To determine relative susceptibility to, and regional variation of, light-induced retinal damage in two rhodopsin-mutant rat models of retinitis pigmentosa, using slow- and fast-degenerating lines...
- Arrestin translocation is induced at a critical threshold of visual signaling and is superstoichiometric to bleached rhodopsinKatherine J Strissel
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, The Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Neurosci 26:1146-53. 2006..Second, the amount of arrestin entering rod outer segments under these conditions is superstoichiometric to the amount of photoactivated rhodopsin, exceeding it by at ..
- Retinal dysfunction in patients with chronic Chagas' disease is associated to anti-Trypanosoma cruzi antibodies that cross-react with rhodopsinSilvia C Matsumoto
Department of Neurology, Hospital Dr Teodoro Alvarez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
FASEB J 20:550-2. 2006....
- The glutamic acid-rich protein-2 (GARP2) is a high affinity rod photoreceptor phosphodiesterase (PDE6)-binding protein that modulates its catalytic propertiesDana C Pentia
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of New Hampshire, 46 College Road, Durham, NH 03824 2617, USA
J Biol Chem 281:5500-5. 2006....
- Acceleration of key reactions as a strategy to elucidate the rate-limiting chemistry underlying phototransduction inactivationMatthew J Kennedy
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1016-22. 2003..A reconstituted system was used to establish a strategy to determine the rate-limiting chemistry responsible for recovery of the dim-flash response in rod photoreceptors...
- Retinal regional differences in photoreceptor cell death and regeneration in light-lesioned albino zebrafishThomas S Vihtelic
Center for Zebrafish Research, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:558-75. 2006..This suggests that the levels of photoreceptor damage may directly influence cell responses in the underlying retinal layers...
- [Peculiarities of rhodopsin photoconversion at the early stages of photolysis]T B Fel'dman
Institute of Biochemical Physics, Russian Acad Sci, 119991, Moscow, 4 Kosygin St, Russia
Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 89:113-22. 2003..The data suggest that appearance of more than one intermediate at each stage of the rhodopsin photolysis reflects existence of multiple conformation states of the rhodopsin molecule in the course of its photoconversion...
- Light-dependent translocation of arrestin in the absence of rhodopsin phosphorylation and transducin signalingAna Mendez
Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, The Mary D Allen Laboratory for Vision Research, Beckman Macular Research Center, Doheny Eye Institute, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 2821, USA
J Neurosci 23:3124-9. 2003..region of dark-adapted rod photoreceptors, whereas light induces redistribution of arrestin to the rod outer segments. The mechanism by which arrestin redistributes in response to light is not known, but it is thought to be ..
- Effect of packing density on rhodopsin stability and function in polyunsaturated membranesShui Lin Niu
Section of Fluorescence Studies, Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biophys J 89:1833-40. 2005..These observations imply that densely packed rhodopsin may impede the diffusion and conformational changes of rhodopsin, which could reduce the speed of visual transduction...
- G-protein alpha and beta-gamma subunits interact with conformationally distinct signaling states of rhodopsinMaureen A Downs
Department of Ophthalmology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Vision Res 46:4442-8. 2006..Analysis of the rates of Meta II decay confirms that the conformational states of Meta II when bound to Gtalpha and Gtbetagamma represent distinct signaling states of rhodopsin...
- Localization of the cyclic ADP-ribose-dependent calcium signaling pathway in bovine rod outer segmentsIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Genova, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:978-84. 2007..In this study, the presence and functional role of the adenosine diphosphoribosyl (ADPR)-cyclase-cyclic ADP-ribose (cADPR) system in bovine retinal rod outer segments (ROS) was investigated.
- A methyl group at C7 of 11-cis-retinal allows chromophore formation but affects rhodopsin activationLaia Bosch
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, 08222 Terrassa, Catalonia, Spain
Vision Res 46:4472-81. 2006..Molecular dynamics simulations suggest coupling of the C7 methyl group and the beta-ionone ring with Met207 in transmembrane helix 5 in agreement with recent experimental results...
- Compartment-specific phosphorylation of phosducin in rods underlies adaptation to various levels of illuminationHongman Song
Department of Ophthalmology, West Virginia University School of Medicine and West Virginia University Eye Institute, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
J Biol Chem 282:23613-21. 2007..These results support the role of phosducin in regulating signaling in the rod outer segment compartment and suggest distinct functions for phosphorylation sites 54 and 71...
- Tyrosinase biosynthesis and trafficking in adult human retinal pigment epithelial cellsSylvie Julien
Section for Experimental Vitreoretinal Surgery, University Eye Hospital Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1495-505. 2007..In this study, we investigated if phagocytosis of rod outer segments (ROS) can increase tyrosinase expression in vitro.
- Functional characterization of rhodopsin monomers and dimers in detergentsBeata Jastrzebska
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 279:54663-75. 2004..High expression levels of Rho in the disc membranes of rod outer segments and the propensity of Rho to form higher oligomeric structures are evident from atomic force microscopy, ..
- Mesoscopic Monte Carlo simulations of stochastic encounters between photoactivated rhodopsin and transducin in disc membranesDaniele Dell'Orco
Department of Chemistry, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia and Dulbecco Telethon Institute, via Campi 183 41100 Modena, Italy
J Phys Chem B 112:4419-26. 2008The issue of how the molecular organization of rod outer segments (ROS) discs affects the initial timing of the photoresponse in vertebrates has been recently raised by novel structural findings that raise doubts about the classical ..
- Defective cone photoreceptor cytoskeleton, alignment, feedback, and energetics can lead to energy depletion in macular degenerationM S Marion S Eckmiller
C and O Vogt Institute for Brain Research, University Clinic, Heinrich Heine University of Düsseldorf Medical School, Postfach 101007, Dusseldorf 40001, Germany
Prog Retin Eye Res 23:495-522. 2004..cytoskeletal systems at the connecting cilium of rods and cones and at the multiple incisures of rod outer segments (OSs)...
- Anatomy and histology of the brain and sense organs of the Antarctic eel cod Muraenolepis microps (Gadiformes; Muraenolepididae)J T Eastman
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701 2979, USA
J Morphol 250:34-50. 2001..Muraenolepis has a pure rod retina like many deep-sea species but lacks the superimposed layers of rod outer segments. The histology of the nonvisual sense organs, especially the olfactory and external taste systems, are well-..
- Immunocytochemical localization of the NMDA-R2A receptor subunit in the cat retinaD J Goebel
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, 540 E Canfield, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Brain Res 808:141-54. 1998..the R2B subunits were found to be present in the outer segments of cone photoreceptors and to the tips of rod outer segments. Although the function of these receptor subunits in rod and cone photoreceptors remains to be determined, ..
- Retinal vascular changes induced by the oxidative stress of alpha-tocopherol deficiency contrasted with diabetic microangiopathyW G Robison
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2735, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 16:109-20. 2000..At 6 and 8 months, the deficient rats exhibited extensive shortening and disarray of rod outer segments (ROS), marked loss of photoreceptor cells, and pronounced increases in the numbers of granules with ..
- Visual optics in toads (Bufo americanus)U Mathis
Section of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
J Comp Physiol A 163:201-13. 1988..increased light sensitivity could partly be explained with an increase in aperture and an increase in red rod outer segments. To fully explain the higher light sensitivity in adult toads, changes in neuronal parameters had to be ..
- Rod photoreceptor neurite sprouting in retinitis pigmentosaZ Y Li
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
J Neurosci 15:5429-38. 1995..Rhodopsin immunolabeling in the normal retinas was restricted to the rod outer segments. In the RP retinas, rhodopsin was present in shortened rod outer segments and in the surface membranes of ..
- Activation of arrestin: requirement of phosphorylation as the negative charge on residues in synthetic peptides from the carboxyl-terminal region of rhodopsinJ H McDowell
Departments of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:1439-43. 2001..To determine whether substitution of the potential phosphorylation sites of bovine rhodopsin's carboxyl-terminal region with the acidic residues aspartic acid, glutamic acid, or cysteic acid promotes the activation of arrestin...
- Regulation of rhodopsin dephosphorylation by arrestinK Palczewski
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610 0284
J Biol Chem 264:15770-3. 1989We have characterized the opsin phosphatase activities in extracts of rod outer segments and determined their relationship to known protein phosphatases...
- Distinctive subtypes of bovine phospholipase C that have preferential expression in the retina and high homology to the norpA gene product of DrosophilaP A Ferreira
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:6042-6. 1993..vertebrate photoreceptors, although light-activated phospholipase C activity has been reported in vertebrate rod outer segments. Conserved regions of norpA cDNA were used to isolate bovine cDNAs that would encode four alternative forms ..
- Onset of feedback reactions underlying vertebrate rod photoreceptor light adaptationP D Calvert
Howe Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Gen Physiol 111:39-51. 1998..in Ca2+ and cGMP are followed by the changes in the rates of corresponding enzymatic reactions in frog rod outer segments. Our data indicate that there is a temporal hierarchy among reactions that underlie light adaptation...
- Iris pigment epithelial cell transplantation for degenerative retinal diseasesToshiaki Abe
Division of Clinical Cell Therapy, Center for Translational and Advanced Animal Research, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Prog Retin Eye Res 26:302-21. 2007..Autologous IPE cells have been found in the transplanted subretinal space and were able to phagocytose rod outer segments even 6 months after transplantation...
- Lactose promotes organized photoreceptor outer segment assembly and preserves expression of photoreceptor proteins in retinal degenerationM M Jablonski
Retinal Degeneration Research Center, Department of Ophthalmology, The University of Tennessee Memphis, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Mol Vis 5:16. 1999..The purpose of this study was to determine if the difference between organized and disorganized membranes was a variation in the amounts of two structural proteins, opsin and rds/peripherin...
- Identification of the sodium-calcium exchanger as the major ricin-binding glycoprotein of bovine rod outer segments and its localization to the plasma membraneD M Reid
Department of Biochemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Biochemistry 29:1601-7. 1990After neuraminidase treatment the Na+/Ca2+ exchanger of bovine rod outer segments was found to specifically bind Ricinus communis agglutinin...
- Association of kinesin with microtubules in diverse cytoskeletal systems in the outer segments of rods and conesM S Eckmiller
C and O Vogt Brain Research Institute, Heinrich Heine University of Düsseldorf School of Medicine, Dusseldorf, Germany
Acta Anat (Basel) 162:133-41. 1998..occur as the ciliary axoneme in rods and cones, and as a separate cytoskeletal system at the incisures of rod outer segments. We performed an immunocytochemical study of the cytoskeleton in photoreceptors isolated from amphibian ..
- Ca2+ binding capacity of cytoplasmic proteins from rod photoreceptors is mainly due to arrestinB Huppertz
Institut für Biologische Informationsverarbeitung, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 265:9470-5. 1990..The Ca2+ binding capacity of arresting-containing protein extracts from bovine rod outer segments is about twice as high as that of arrestin-depleted extracts...
- Retinal abnormalities associated with the G90D mutation in opsinMuna I Naash
Department of Cell Biology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Comp Neurol 478:149-63. 2004..5) appeared normal for a period of about 3-4 months, but at later ages there were disorganized, shortened rod outer segments (ROS), and a loss of photoreceptor nuclei...
- Signaling properties of a short-wave cone visual pigment and its role in phototransductionGuang Shi
Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Neurosci 27:10084-93. 2007..The transgenic S-opsin was targeted to rod outer segments, and formed a pigment with peak absorption at 360 nm...
- Trafficking of molecules and metabolic signals in the retinaM Tsacopoulos
Department of Physiology, University of Geneva Medical School, Switzerland
Prog Retin Eye Res 17:429-42. 1998..In rod outer segments (ROS), all-trans-retinal is transformed to all-trans-retinol by retinol dehydrogenase using NADPH...
- Proof of oligomeric state of frog rhodopsin: visualization of dimer and oligomers on gels after BN- and HRCN-PAGE using antibodies to rhodopsin and by retinylopsin fluorescenceS A Shukolyukov
Sechenov Institute for Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, St Petersburg, 194223, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 75:1045-51. 2010..Formation of RO in rod outer segments (ROS) in the presence of 0.7 M NaBH(3)CN at pH 5...
- Retinal and brain accretion of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in developing felines: the effects of corn oil-based maternal dietsR J Pawlosky
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 65:465-72. 1997..In the rod outer segments and brains of these animals, there were lower amounts of 22:6n-3 and higher amounts of long-chain n-6 ..
- Phagosome number and distribution in retinal pigment epithelial cells of vitiligo mutant miceB Kosaras
New England Regional Primate Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Southborough, MA 01772 9102, USA
Exp Eye Res 63:151-8. 1996..Failure of RPE microvilli to intertwine with rod outer segments (ROS) at any age, the accumulation of ROS membranous fragments in the subretinal space, and a relatively ..
- Molecular, enzymatic and functional properties of rhodopsin kinase from rat pineal glandK Palczewski
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610 0284
Vision Res 30:1129-37. 1990..Rhodopsin kinase activity from pineal binds in a light-dependent manner to rhodopsin in rod outer segments as does the enzyme from retina...
- Abnormal cone synapses in human cone-rod dystrophyK Gregory Evans
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Ophthalmology 105:2306-12. 1998..were decreased in the case of CRD, particularly in the central and far peripheral retina, and both cone and rod outer segments were slightly shortened...
- Constitutive "light" adaptation in rods from G90D rhodopsin: a mechanism for human congenital nightblindness without rod cell lossP A Sieving
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
J Neurosci 21:5449-60. 2001..G+/+, R-/-) retinas that express only the mutant rhodopsin develop normal rod outer segments and show minimal rod cell loss even at 1 year of age...
- Tyrosine phosphorylation of the alpha subunit of transducin and its association with Src in photoreceptor rod outer segmentsM W Bell
Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Neurochem 75:2006-19. 2000Recent evidence indicates that tyrosine phosphorylation may play important roles in retinal photoreceptor rod outer segments (ROS). We investigated the tyrosine phosphorylation of endogenous proteins in isolated bovine ROS...
- Evidence for two functionally different membrane fractions in bovine retinal rod outer segmentsP J Bauer
Institut für Biologische Informationsverarbeitung, Julich, F R G
J Physiol 401:309-27. 1988..Bovine photoreceptor membrane vesicles were prepared by osmotic lysis and hypotonic wash of purified rod outer segments. 2...
- Syntaxin 3 and SNAP-25 pairing, regulated by omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid, controls the delivery of rhodopsin for the biogenesis of cilia-derived sensory organelles, the rod outer segmentsJana Mazelova
Department of Surgery, Division of Ophthalmology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Cell Sci 122:2003-13. 2009The biogenesis of cilia-derived sensory organelles, the photoreceptor rod outer segments (ROS), is mediated by rhodopsin transport carriers (RTCs)...
- Functional abnormalities in transgenic mice expressing a mutant rhodopsin geneY Goto
Hines Veterans Administration Hospital
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 36:62-71. 1995..Experimental conditions were chosen to provide a basis of comparison to the results reported for patients with autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa (ADRP) in whom the proline at position 23 has been replaced by a histidine (P23H)...
- Delayed rhodopsin regeneration and altered distribution of interphotoreceptor retinoid binding protein (IRBP) in the mi(vit)/mi(vit) (vitiligo) mouseS B Smith
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, USA
J Neurocytol 26:605-13. 1997Rhodopsin regeneration requires attachment between the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) and rod outer segments; however, in experimentally induced retinal detachment, rhodopsin regeneration can be restored partially upon addition of IRBP (..
- Recoverin and rhodopsin kinase activity in detergent-resistant membrane rafts from rod outer segmentsIvan I Senin
A N Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, M V Lomonosov Moscow State University, 119992 Moscow, Russia
J Biol Chem 279:48647-53. 2004Cholesterol-rich membranes or detergent-resistant membranes (DRMs) have recently been isolated from bovine rod outer segments and were shown to contain several signaling proteins such as, for example, transducin and its effector, cGMP-..
- [The alteration of cyclic adenosine monophosphate and protein kinase C in the phagocytic process of human pigment epithelial cells]Yu Zhao Sun
Department of Ophthalmology, the First Clinical College of China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 40:178-82. 2004....
- Disk membrane initiation and insertion are not required for axial disk displacement in Xenopus laevis rod outer segmentsM W Kaplan
R S Dow Neurological Sciences Institute, Portland, OR 97209 1595, USA
Curr Eye Res 17:73-8. 1998..This study was designed to determine whether the axial displacement of disk membranes requires the assembly and insertion of new disk lamellae...
- Melanin protects choroidal blood vessels against light toxicitySwaantje Peters
Center of Ophthalmology, University of Tuebingen, Schleichstr 12, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Z Naturforsch C 61:427-33. 2006..In albino rats severe retinal damage was observed after light exposure, rod outer segments (ROS) were shortened and the thickness of the outer nuclear layer (ONL) was significantly diminished...
- Rod phototransduction in transgenic mice expressing a mutant opsin geneY Goto
Hines Veterans Administration Hospital, Illinois 60141, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 13:577-85. 1996..This decrease was consistent with reductions in the number of rod photoreceptors and in the length of rod outer segments observed in previous histological studies of the VPP retina...
- Phosphorylation of photolyzed rhodopsin is calcium-insensitive in retina permeabilized by alpha-toxinA E Otto Bruc
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6485, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:15014-9. 1998..Pieces of bovine retina with intact rod outer segments were treated with pore-forming staphylococcal alpha-toxin, including an alpha-toxin mutant that forms pores ..
- Mass spectrometric analysis of rhodopsin from light damaged ratsZ Ablonczy
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Mol Vis 6:109-15. 2000..Rhodopsin has been proposed to be involved in this process. We therefore undertook to examine whether rhodopsin isolated from light damaged animals is structurally altered at the molecular level...
- Activation of the rod G-protein Gt by the thrombin receptor (PAR1) expressed in Sf9 cellsC Seibert
Institut fur Medizinische Physik und Biophysik, Medizinische Fakultät Charité, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Biochem 266:911-6. 1999..system of membranes from Sf9 cells expressing the thrombin receptor and purified Gt from bovine rod outer segments. TRAP6-agonist-activated PAR1 interacts productively with the distant G-protein...
- Transducin activation state controls its light-dependent translocation in rod photoreceptorsVasily Kerov
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Biol Chem 280:41069-76. 2005Light-dependent redistribution of transducin between the rod outer segments (OS) and other photoreceptor compartments including the inner segments (IS) and synaptic terminals (ST) is recognized as a critical contributing factor to light ..
- Physiological properties of rod photoreceptor cells in green-sensitive cone pigment knock-in miceKeisuke Sakurai
Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University and Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Gen Physiol 130:21-40. 2007..The mouse green was successfully transported to the rod outer segments, though the expression of mouse green in homozygous retina was approximately 11% of rhodopsin in wild-type ..
- Pigment epithelial and retinal phenotypes in the vitiligo mivit, mutant mouseR L Sidman
New England Regional Primate Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Southborough, Massachusetts 01772 9102, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 37:1097-115. 1996..To describe the abnormal phenotype in retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) and neural retina of vitiligo mutant mice from embryonic stages to old age...
- Delayed expression of the Crx gene and photoreceptor development in the Chx10-deficient retinaAdam D Rutherford
Developmental Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:375-84. 2004..The purpose of this study was to examine how neuronal development is affected by absence of the Chx10 transcription factor in the mouse retina...
- SECOND MESSENGERS IN THE RETINARAJU VS RAJALA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Studies from our laboratory over the past two decades have shown that the retina and rod outer segments (ROS) have an active PI metabolism...
- MEMBRANE FUSION IN RETINAL ROD OUTER SEGMENTSKATHLEEN BOESZEBATTAGLIA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our studies should reveal novel insights into the pathogenesis of peripherin/rds mediated retinal dystrophies and form the underpinnings for the development of therapeutic strategies to treat these diseases. ..
- Illuminating the process of rod outer segment morphogenesisYoshikazu Imanishi; Fiscal Year: 2013..is essential for phototransduction signaling, as well as the morphogenesis and maintenance of the rod outer segments. Since photoreceptor outer segments do not have machinery for protein synthesis, proteins need to be ..
- Assembly and Trafficking of Heterotrimeric G Proteins in Vertebrate PhotoreceptorMaxim Sokolov; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will determine in vivo the significance of each site in regulating trafficking of transducin to the rod outer segments. The proposed studies will reveal the function of the eukaryotic chaperonin, CCT, in vertebrate ..
- Genetic Mechanisms of Retinal Degenerative DiseaseJANIS LEM GEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..retinal degeneration associated with elevated cGMP in the "rd" mouse retina is caused by excessive Ca2+ in rod outer segments and can be ameliorated by reducing intracellular Ca2+...
- RHODOPSIN TRAFFICKING AND PHOTORECEPTOR MEMBRANE RENEWALDUSANKA DANIELLE DERETIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..ciliary membrane proteins, some of which bind Arf4, this leads us to propose that membrane targeting to the rod outer segments (ROS) is equivalent to ciliary targeting, and that the complex we identified is a ciliary targeting complex...
- Trasnducin Interactions with Photoreceptor MembranesTheodore G Wensel; Fiscal Year: 2013..most informative model systems for developing this understanding is the phototransduction pathway of retinal rod outer segments, in which a light signal, photon capture by the G-protein coupled receptor (GPCR), rhodopsin, is converted ..
- Photoreceptor Cell Vulnerability and Glutathione StatusBarry S Winkler; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will evaluate this hypothesis by using whole rat retinas, serial sections of rat retinas, and bovine rod outer segments in electrophysiological and metabolic experiments designed to assess the linkage between photoreceptor cell ..
- Use of Xenopus a system to study the trafficking,function and structure of IRBPFederico Gonzalez-Fernandez; Fiscal Year: 2013..As the major soluble component of the interphotoreceptor matrix (IPM), has access to the cone and rod outer segments, apical RPE surface, and M[unreadable]ller cell villi, The mechanism for IRBP's complex function in ..
- Conferene on the basic cell and molecular biology of cilia and flagella as relateJoel Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2007..example is Retinitis Pigmentosa; although it has been known for decades that a cilium gives rise to the rod outer segments of the retina, it has only been within the past few years that the transport processes occurring within this ..
- Adaptive optics imaging of geographic atrophy progression in macular degenerationMINA MILLICENT CHUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Test the hypothesis that loss of rod photoreceptors in GA is preceded by visual cycle disruption in the rod outer segments. Expected outcomes of the proposed study include determination of the primary cell type affected in the GA ..
- DIETARY N-3 FATTY ACIDS: TRANSPORT AND UPTAKE INTO BRAINGregory Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1993..The brain and retina, and in particular the synaptic membranes and rod outer segments, are especially rich in the n-3 family of polyunsaturated fatty s...
- PROTEIN KINASE C AND PHOTORECEPTORSALEXANDRA NEWTON; Fiscal Year: 2002The long term goal of the proposed research if to elucidate the role of protein kinase C in rod outer segments of photoreceptors...
- CONFORMATIONAL ASPECTS OF VISUAL EXCITATIONLUBERT STRYER; Fiscal Year: 1993..electrophysiological studies of rod outer segment proteins: (1) The light-triggered amplification cycle in rod outer segments involving photoexcited rhodopsin, transducin, and the cyclic GMP phosphodiesterase (PDE) will be ..
- ROLE OF SUGARS IN PHAGOCYTOSIS OF ROD OUTER SEGMENTSEDWARD KEAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..cells of the embryonic chick maintained in cell culture as the biological systems, and rhodopsin-liposomes, rod outer segments (ROS), and disc membranes prepared from the ROS as the target rhodopsin- containing membranes...
- PHOTORECEPTOR GENE EXPRESSION DURING DEVELOPMENTWilliam Hauswirth; Fiscal Year: 1999..induced simultaneously at about 6 months (2/3) gestation, corresponding to the initial emergence of rod outer segments, (2) the rod opsin gene experiences specific transcriptional enhancement not seen for other ..
- STUDIES ON RHODOPSIN & AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATIONKoji Nakanishi; Fiscal Year: 2006..of A2E) to damage DNA by binding covalently to nucleic acids; vi) chemical and cellular studies of the all-trans-retinal dimer, a fluorophore newly isolated from rod outer segments, the same source as the A2E pigments.
- GUANYLYL CYCLASE ACTIVATING PROTEIN AND OLFACTIONCheil Moon; Fiscal Year: 2000..In low Ca/2+, GCAP is activated to enhance GC and restore cGMP levels in rod outer segments. Our preliminary studies demonstrate that GCAP is expressed in olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs) and ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF RPE PHAGOCYTOSIS--ROLE OF CD36Roy Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..studies to be expressed on RPE in a developmentally regulated manner, and to function as a receptor for rod outer segments (ROS)...
- PHOTORECEPTOR-AND RETINAL SYNAPSE PHYSIOLOGYPETER MACLEISH; Fiscal Year: 1993..For rods, the effect on the light response of injecting antibodies directed against rod outer segments will be examined to generate specific reagents that can be used in analyzing the biochemical steps in the ..
- TRANSDUCTION IN VERTEBRATE PHOTORECEPTORSShaul Hestrin; Fiscal Year: 1991..3. Determination of the specific effects of cytoplasmic calcium on guanylate cyclase in detached rod outer segments. Experimental manipulations that change the concentration of cytoplasmic calcium in rods affect the ..
- MOLECULAR PROPERTIES OF A CGMP-ACTIVATED CHANNELSTANLEY GOLDIN; Fiscal Year: 1991..Our laboratory has developed a procedure for purification of discs from bovine rod outer segments, and demonstrated that such a channel is associated with discs...
- DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF RETINAL CELLSJoe Hollyfield; Fiscal Year: 1991..phosphorylation reactions, and calcium fluxes in establishing the burst of membrane assembly at the base of rod outer segments which follows the onset of the light cycle...
- PROTEIN MODIFICATION IN AGE-RELATED RETINAL DEGENERATIONDEBORAH FERRINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..Proteasome function and the extent of oxidative damage to proteins will be investigated in rod outer segments (ROS) and the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) of the retinas from Fisher 344 rats (10, 23, 26 months)...
- BIOPHYSICAL STUDY OF ORIENTED PHOTORECEPTOR MEMBRANEKenneth Rothschild; Fiscal Year: 1980..based on liquid-crystal physics are being developed to orient photoreceptor membrane isolated from retinal rod outer segments into liquid-crystal films...
- DETERMINANTS OF RETINAL PHOTORECEPTOR MORPHOLOGYJOSEPH CORLESS; Fiscal Year: 1991..from or remain connected to the plasmalemma? Our recent morphological studies of the disk margin of frog rod outer segments (ROS) have revealed a clustering of structures we term the terminal loop (TL)-complex, to emphasize their ..
- BIOCHEMICAL STUDIES OF ROD OUTER SEGMENT PLASMA MEMBRANEArthur S Polans; Fiscal Year: 1991..The first involves probing the extracellular surface of intact rod outer segments with antibodies and lectins already available...
- Protein Nitration in Retinal Light DamageMasaru Miyagi; Fiscal Year: 2004..in protein expression levels and proteins which are nitrated by night exposure in whole rat retina and rod outer segments, and 3) Characterize structural changes in LEDGF induced by light exposure...
- Retinal Degeneration ConferenceRobert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this proposal, we request funds to provide: 1) full travel awards to 20 young investigators and 3 keynote speakers and 2) some administrative expenses. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Conference--Retinal DegenerationRobert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2002..This is a key feature that distinguishes the International Symposium on Retinal Degenerations from other scientific meetings. ..
- Retinal Degeneration ConferenceRobert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this competitive renewal, we request funds to provide: 1) full travel awards to 20 young investigators and 3 keynote speakers and 2) some administrative expenses. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gas6/Mertk mediated phagocytosis of OS by RPE cellsMichael Hall; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Retinal Degeneration ConferenceRobert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..In this competitive renewal, we request funds to provide: 1) full travel awards to 25 young investigators and 1 keynote speakers, 2) some administrative expenses, and 3) modest support for all scientists who participate. ..
- Light Adaptation in Vertebrate Rod PhotoreceptorsCLINT MAKINO; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aberrant responses occur with higher frequency in some human retinal diseases and severely limit the intensity range of scotopic vision. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL LIGHT AND RETINAL MEMBRANE DEVELOPMENTDaniel Organisciak; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, the time course of the appearance of cytoplasmic cytochrome C and the activation of cellular caspases will be determined by antibody-based techniques, immunocytochemistry and enzymatic analysis. ..
- UW Oshkosh Animal Facility ImprovementDANA VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sustained, Non-viral Ocular Therapy Using NanoparticlesMuna Naash; Fiscal Year: 2006..When taken together, these studies will provide valuable insight into non-viral gene therapy as a prospective method for the treatment of inherited blinding diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prevention of Inherited Retinal Diseases by Therapeutic Rare Earth NanoparticlesJAMES FRANCIS MCGINNIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The nanoceria are expected to function in humans as they do in other mammals and therefore should preserve vision and prevent blindness in humans. ..
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF G PROTEIN-COUPLED RECEPTORSKRZYSZTOF NMI PALCZEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The importance of the protein family for human health makes this effort worthwhile. ..
- NEURONAL DEGENERATION HEREDITARY CEROID-LIPOFUSCINOSISMartin Katz; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Modes of Neurotoxicity in the Mammalian RetinaDENNIS GOEBEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ROD NEURODEGENERATIVE AND PROTECTIVE GENESBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect to isolate common downstream target genes that are activated both during degeneration and neuroprotection. ..
- Conference--The Biology and Chemistry of VisionWolfgang Baehr; Fiscal Year: 2003..Proposed sessions include topics on the biology and physiology of photoreceptors, human genetics and retinal disease, as well as gene therapy of recessive and dominant dystrophies. ..
- p27Kip1 and RPE Cell CycleDENNIS DEFOE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The alternative hypothesis that the thickening of the RPE layer is due to an increase in cell size will be examined by morphometric analysis of images obtained by confocal microscopy. ..
- Acquistion of a 600MHz NMR SpectrometerARLENE ALBERT; Fiscal Year: 2003..These instruments lack the resolution, sensitivity and available time to run the projects described above. These researchers currently travel a minimum of an hour to acquire the data needed on several funded projects. ..
- OLYMPUS FLUOVIEW CONFOCAL LASER SCANNING MICROSCOPESteven Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2003..The enhanced multi-labeling capabilities and capacity to support living cell studies will allow investigators to explore novel research avenues that are unapproachable with our current instrumentation. ..
- ANTIBODY-MEDIATED DEATH OF MAMMALIAN PHOTORECEPTOR CELLSJames McGinnis; Fiscal Year: 2003..The data from these studies may have direct applicability to the prevention of blindness in CAR as well as to the rescue of neurons in other paraneoplastic neuropathies. ..
- Alpha v beta 5 integrin in retinal pigment epitheliumSILVIA FINNEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The mechanisms of these interactions and the unique localization of v5 integrin in RPE are conserved among species. Exploring the 5 null mouse is thus important to understand human disease. ..
- Mechanism of photoreceptor cell degeneration in animal models of retinal diseasesMuna Naash; Fiscal Year: 2008..cone OSs morphogenesis and maintenance. Experiments put forth in this application will provide biochemical and physiological evidence for the role of Rds and its associated proteins during genesis of rod and cone OSs. ..
- B-CLL Proteins Quantified by Mass SpectrometryDAVID BARNIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2004..As part of this proposal the candidate will take courses offered in the Mayo Graduate School on Techniques in Molecular Biology, Human Cytogenetics, and Immunology. ..
- The Integrin Ligand MFG-E8 and Photoreceptor Outer Segment Renewal.SILVIA FINNEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- TYROSINE PHOSPHORYLATION AND MAMMALIAN RETINAABBOUD GHALAYINI; Fiscal Year: 2001..in vivo show that: 1) light stimulates tyrosine phosphorylation of photoreceptor out segment proteins, 2) rod outer segments (ROS) from light-adapted retinas are enriched with the tyrosine kinase c-Src,PLCgamma/1, and arresting, 3) ..
- Experimental Retinal Detachment and ReattachmentSteven Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2008..5) To develop a mouse model of detachment and to study mice deficient in the two intermediate filament proteins, GFAP and vimentin to determine their roles in glial cell responsiveness to detachment. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMAGING OF ROD OUTER SEGMENT BY CRYO-ELECTRON TOMOGRAPHYKrzysztof Palczewski; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this study, we propose to develop cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) to study the structure of rod outer segments (ROS)...
- p27(Kip1) and Retinal AttachmentDENNIS DEFOE; Fiscal Year: 2008..To test this, the Cre-lox system for conditional gene targeting will be implemented to ablate the p27(Kip1) gene selectively in RPE cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Structural Analysis of the Rhodopsin-Transducin ComplexKEVIN RIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CYCLIC GMP SIGNALING PATHWAYS IN RETINASITARAMAYYA ARI; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful completion of the proposed studies will, for the first time, establish the biochemical mechanism of cyclic GMP action in light adaptation, and identify the proteins that mediate its effects. ..
- TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPEMartin Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Broadening the user base will help make the cost per user of maintaining the instrument as low as possible. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF G-PROTEIN COUPLED RECEPTORSKEVIN RIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2004....