Genomes and Genes
medial forebrain bundle
Summary: A complex group of fibers arising from the basal olfactory regions, the periamygdaloid region, and the septal nuclei, and passing to the lateral hypothalamus. Some fibers continue into the tegmentum.
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Increased extracellular DA and normal evoked DA release in the rat striatum after a partial lesion of the substantia nigraC Dentresangle
, CNRS UMR 5542, Rue Guillaume Paradin, 69372 Cedex 8, Lyon, France
Brain Res 893:178-85. 2001..From these results, it may be concluded that elevated basal DA levels in this region cannot be attributed to the reduced DA uptake and/or to an increased ability of DA neurons to release DA in response to impulse flow...
- Pathological dynamics of activated microglia following medial forebrain bundle transectionByung P Cho
Burke Medical Research Institute, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Glia 53:92-102. 2006..the phagocytic, immunophenotypic, morphological, and migratory properties of activated microglia in the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) axotomized rat brain...
- Rats with unilateral median forebrain bundle, but not striatal or nigral, lesions by the neurotoxins MPP+ or rotenone display differential sensitivity to amphetamine and apomorphineKizhakke M Sindhu
Division of Clinical and Experimental Neuroscience, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4, Raja S C Mullick Road, Calcutta 700 032, India
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 84:321-9. 2006....
- Cross-species affective functions of the medial forebrain bundle-implications for the treatment of affective pain and depression in humansVolker A Coenen
Stereotaxy and MR based OR techniques Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Bonn, Germany
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 35:1971-81. 2011..homeostasis is maintained by influences of the SEEKING system represented - amongst others - by the medial forebrain bundle (MFB). Neuroimaging studies show that the MFB has a proven access to the GRIEF/Sadness system...
- Mesocortical dopamine neurons operate in distinct temporal domains using multimodal signalingAntonieta Lavin
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 25:5013-23. 2005....
- Long-term high-frequency electro-acupuncture stimulation prevents neuronal degeneration and up-regulates BDNF mRNA in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area following medial forebrain bundle axotomyXi Bin Liang
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing 100083, PR China
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 108:51-9. 2002..2, 100 Hz) were tested in a partially lesioned rat model of PD which was induced by transection of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB)...
- Human medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and anterior thalamic radiation (ATR): imaging of two major subcortical pathways and the dynamic balance of opposite affects in understanding depressionVolker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, Bonn University, Germany
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:223-36. 2012The medial forebrain bundle (MFB), a key structure of reward-seeking circuitry, remains inadequately characterized in humans despite its vast importance for emotional processing and development of addictions and depression...
- In vivo electrochemical evidence for simultaneous 5-HT and histamine release in the rat substantia nigra pars reticulata following medial forebrain bundle stimulationParastoo Hashemi
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Neurochem 118:749-59. 2011..technical challenges associated with rat DRN surgery by electrically stimulating 5-HT projections in the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), a more accessible anatomical location...
- Injury and strain-dependent dopaminergic neuronal degeneration in the substantia nigra of mice after axotomy or MPTPLi Liu
Division of Applied and Interventional Research, Toronto Western Hospital Research Institute, University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto ON, Canada, M5T 2S8
Brain Res 994:243-52. 2003..Ten days later, these neurons were axotomized in the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) unilaterally or N-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) was administered ..
- EEG modifications in the cortex and striatum after dopaminergic priming in the 6-hydroxydopamine rat model of Parkinson's diseaseVasily V Vorobyov
Institute of Cell Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 142290 Pushchino, Moscow Region, Russia
Brain Res 972:177-85. 2003In rats bearing a unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) lesion of the medial forebrain bundle, a single administration of a dopamine receptor agonist (priming) sensitizes the behavioral motor responses to a dopaminergic agonist, ..
- Different striatal D2-like receptor function in an early stage after unilateral striatal lesion and medial forebrain bundle lesion in ratsWei Sun
Department of Neurosurgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine 1 20 1 Handayama, Higashi ku, Hamamatsu, 431 3192, Japan
Brain Res 1317:227-35. 2010Unilateral striatal lesion and complete medial forebrain bundle (MFB) lesion by 6-hydroxydopamine in rats have been widely used as Parkinson disease (PD) models...
- Voluntary running provides neuroprotection in rats after 6-hydroxydopamine injection into the medial forebrain bundleMusa Mabandla
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 19:43-50. 2004..with attached running wheels 7 days prior to injection of 6-OHDA (10 microg/4 microL saline) into the medial forebrain bundle. The running wheels of the control group were immobilized for the duration of the study...
- Microglial phagocytosis of dopamine neurons at early phases of apoptosisByung Pil Cho
The Burke Medical Research Institute, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College, Graduate School of Medical Sciences of Cornell University, White Plains, New York 10605, USA
Cell Mol Neurobiol 23:551-60. 2003Transection of the medial forebrain bundle caused apoptosis of dopamine neurons in the rat substantia nigra...
- Two substrates for medial forebrain bundle self-stimulation: myelinated axons and dopamine axonsJ S Yeomans
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 13:91-8. 1989The directly activated substrates for medial forebrain bundle (MFB) self-stimulation are primarily low threshold, myelinated axons with absolute refractory periods of 0.4 to 1...
- Histological, behavioural and neurochemical evaluation of medial forebrain bundle and striatal 6-OHDA lesions as rat models of Parkinson's diseaseHong Yuan
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Research Group Experimental Pharmacology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Neurosci Methods 144:35-45. 2005We compared the effect of an injection of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and into the striatum on different parameters for evaluation of motor dysfunction and dopamine denervation in rats, as a function ..
- Evaluation of estrogen neuroprotective effect on nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons following 6-hydroxydopamine injection into the substantia nigra pars compacta or the medial forebrain bundleAnete Curte Ferraz
Laboratorio de Neurofisiologia, Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal do Parana, C P 19 031, 81 531 990, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Neurochem Res 33:1238-46. 2008..to the striatum after microinjections of 1 microg of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the right SNpc or medial forebrain bundle (MFB)...
- Dose-dependent loss of motor function after unilateral medial forebrain bundle rotenone lesion in rats: a cautionary noteAlexander Klein
Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4, Canada
Behav Brain Res 222:33-42. 2011..Rats received a single medial forebrain bundle injection of 4, 8, or 12μg of rotenone...
- Effect of bilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the medial forebrain bundle on reaction timeA D Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 26:756-64. 2002..When injected at doses that produced striatal DA depletion <50%, 6-hydroxydopamine infused in the medial forebrain bundle produced no reliable impairment in the reaction time task...
- The neurobehavioral changes induced by bilateral rotenone lesion in medial forebrain bundle of rats are reversed by L-DOPAM Alam
Zoological Institute, Neuropharmacology, University of Tuebingen, Morgenstelle 28E, Tuebingen 72076, Germany
Behav Brain Res 151:117-24. 2004..In the present study, rotenone (3 microg) was administered bilaterally stereotaxically into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) to produce parkinsonian symptoms...
- Noradrenergic lesion of the locus coeruleus increases the firing activity of the medial prefrontal cortex pyramidal neurons and the role of alpha2-adrenoceptors in normal and medial forebrain bundle lesioned ratsYong Wang
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
Brain Res 1324:64-74. 2010..and antagonist yohimbine on the neuronal activity in rats with 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the LC, medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and with combined MFB and LC lesions...
- Acute inactivation of the medial forebrain bundle imposes oscillations in the SNr: a challenge for the 6-OHDA model?Salvatore Galati
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Exp Neurol 225:294-301. 2010..Both TTX and 6-OHDA were infused into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB)...
- The pharmacological blockade of medial forebrain bundle induces an acute pathological synchronization of the cortico-subthalamic nucleus-globus pallidus pathwaySalvatore Galati
Department of Neuroscience, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
J Physiol 587:4405-23. 2009..in the development of pathological synchronization, we performed a pharmacological inactivation of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) through tetrodotoxin (TTX), which led to a dramatic, but reversible, reduction of the dopamine ..
- Temporal and sequential analysis of microglia in the substantia nigra following medial forebrain bundle axotomy in ratS Sugama
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, The W M Burke Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Neuroscience 116:925-33. 2003Dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta undergo apoptosis after transection of the medial forebrain bundle. We have assessed the temporal and sequential activities of microglia in these events by examining the ..
- Effects of sex and hormonal status on astrocytic basic fibroblast growth factor-2 and tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity after medial forebrain bundle 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the midbrain dopamine neuronsI A Moroz
Department of Psychology, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Boulevard West, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8, Canada
Neuroscience 118:463-76. 2003..of midbrain dopaminergic neurons after unilateral infusions of the neurotoxin 6-hydroxydopamine into the medial forebrain bundle in male and female rats...
- Crossed unilateral lesions of medial forebrain bundle and either inferior temporal or frontal cortex impair object recognition memory in Rhesus monkeysA Easton
Department of Experimental Psychology, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
Behav Brain Res 121:1-10. 2001..experiment, six monkeys were trained in a delayed match-to-sample task and then received a section of the medial forebrain bundle in one hemisphere and an ablation of either the frontal or inferior temporal cortex in the opposite ..
- Role of alpha(1)-adrenoceptors of the locus coeruleus in self-stimulation of the medial forebrain bundleYan Lin
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:835-41. 2007..Rats, trained to self-stimulate via electrodes in the medial forebrain bundle of the lateral hypothalamus, were administered alpha(1)-selective drugs near the locus coeruleus (LC), a ..
- Crossed unilateral lesions of the medial forebrain bundle and either inferior temporal or frontal cortex impair object-reward association learning in Rhesus monkeysA Easton
Department of Experimental Psychology, South Parks Rd, Oxford University, OX1 3UD, Oxford, UK
Neuropsychologia 39:71-82. 2001..and midbrain structures, while sparing cortical white matter, by crossed unilateral lesions of the medial forebrain bundle in one hemisphere and inferior temporal cortex in the opposite hemisphere...
- Medial forebrain bundle stimulation evokes endocannabinoid-mediated modulation of ventral tegmental area dopamine neuron firing in vivoGiuliano Pillolla
B B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Cittadella Universitaria di Monserrato, 09042, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 191:843-53. 2007..However, their functional and/or behavioural correlates are yet to be determined...
- Comparison of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced medial forebrain bundle and nigrostriatal terminal lesions in a lateralised nose-poking task in ratsEilis Dowd
Brain Repair Group, School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Wales, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
Behav Brain Res 159:153-61. 2005..Rats with complete unilateral dopamine depletion (induced by injection of 6-OHDA into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB)) attempted fewer trials and committed more procedural errors than controls...
- Electro-acupuncture stimulation protects dopaminergic neurons from inflammation-mediated damage in medial forebrain bundle-transected ratsXian Yu Liu
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University, Beijing 100083, PR China
Exp Neurol 189:189-96. 2004..To explore the underlying mechanism, the effects of 100 Hz EA stimulation on medial forebrain bundle (MFB) axotomy-induced microglial activation were investigated...
- Immunohistochemical characterisation of Fos-positive cells in brainstem monoaminergic nuclei following intracranial self-stimulation of the medial forebrain bundle in the ratY Ishida
Department of Psychiatry, Miyazaki Medical College, 5200 Kihara, Kiyotake cho, Miyazaki 889 1692, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 13:1600-8. 2001..was used as a marker of neuronal activity following intracranial self-stimulation (ICSS) of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) in the rat, and was combined with immunostaining for tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), serotonin (5-HT), ..
- Medial forebrain bundle stimulation as a pathophysiological mechanism for hypomania in subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseVolker A Coenen
Surgical Center for Movement Disorders, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Neurosurgery 64:1106-14; discussion 1114-5. 2009..We suggest a different explanation, in which the coactivation of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), outside the STN, leads to hypomania during STN DBS.
- Comparison of perirhinal cortex ablation and crossed unilateral lesions of the medial forebrain bundle from the inferior temporal cortex in the rhesus monkey: effects on learning and retrievalA Easton
Department of Experimental Psychology, Oxford University, England
Behav Neurosci 114:1041-57. 2000..Four monkeys received crossed lesions of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and inferior temporal cortex, with the later addition of a fornix section ipsilateral to the MFB ..
- Prolonged rewarding stimulation of the rat medial forebrain bundle: neurochemical and behavioral consequencesGiovanni Hernandez
Center for Studies in Behavioural Neurobiology, Concordia University, Montreal, PQ, Canada
Behav Neurosci 120:888-904. 2006..Delivery of rewarding medial forebrain bundle stimulation at a low rate (5 trains/min) produced a sustained elevation of dopamine levels, regardless of ..
- Heterogeneous dopamine neurochemistry in the striatum: the fountain-drain matrixManuel Rodriguez
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de La Laguna, 38320 Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:31-43. 2006..By using amperometric methods, we found striatal regions showing a DA decrease during the medial forebrain bundle stimulation (drain areas) near to other zones that showed an increase in DA concentration (fountain areas)..
- Comparison of incremental and accelerating protocols of the rotarod test for the assessment of motor deficits in the 6-OHDA modelChristelle Monville
Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
J Neurosci Methods 158:219-23. 2006..We report that whereas the incremental protocol is more sensitive to detect the presence of a lesion, the accelerating protocol provides a more discriminative test to correlate motor deficits against lesion size...
- Potentiation of parkinsonian symptoms by depletion of locus coeruleus noradrenaline in 6-hydroxydopamine-induced partial degeneration of substantia nigra in ratsJ Srinivasan
Zoological Institute, Neuropharmacology, University of Tuebingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 28E, 72076, Tuebingen, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 17:2586-92. 2003....
- Is the Ecstasy-induced ipsilateral rotation in 6-hydroxydopamine unilaterally lesioned rats dopamine independent?H B Lebsanft
Neuropharmacology Institute, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Neural Transm 110:707-18. 2003..Male Sprague Dawley rats were lesioned unilaterally with 6-hydroxydopamine at the medial forebrain bundle. MDMA was administered at doses of 2.5, 5.0 and 10...
- Timecourse of striatal re-innervation following lesions of dopaminergic SNpc neurons of the ratD Stanic
Department of Medicine, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Australia
Eur J Neurosci 18:1175-88. 2003..injections into the SNpc revealed a 119% increase in axon fibres (4 mm rostral to the SNpc) along the medial forebrain bundle 4 weeks after lesioning. SNpc cells underwent phenotypic changes...
- Neuroprotective effects of prior limb use in 6-hydroxydopamine-treated rats: possible role of GDNFAnn D Cohen
Department of Neurology and Center for Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, USA
J Neurochem 85:299-305. 2003Unilateral administration of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) causes a loss of dopamine (DA) in the ipsilateral striatum and contralateral motor deficits...
- Effect of 6-hydroxydopamine on striatal GDNF and nigral GFRalpha1 and RET mRNAs in the adult ratAmanda D Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, S 510 Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 117:129-38. 2003....
- Nicotine, but neither the alpha4beta2 ligand RJR2403 nor an alpha7 nAChR subtype selective agonist, protects against a partial 6-hydroxydopamine lesion of the rat median forebrain bundleN P Visanji
King s College London, Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, Wolfson Wing, Hodgkin Building, Guy s Campus, London SE1 1UL, UK
Neuropharmacology 51:506-16. 2006..These data suggest that whilst nicotine is neuroprotective in this partial lesion model, activation of neither the alpha4beta2 nor alpha7 subtypes alone is sufficient to provide protection...
- Behavioural effects of parafascicular thalamic lesions in an animal model of parkinsonismJ M Henderson
Department of Pharmacology, Institute for Biomedical Research, School of Medical Sciences, Bosch Building, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Behav Brain Res 162:222-32. 2005..There were four surgical groups: (1) sham medial forebrain bundle (mfb)+sham Pf, (2) 6-OHDA mfb lesion+sham Pf, (3) sham mfb+NMDA Pf lesion, (4) 6-OHDA+NMDA Pf lesions...
- Impaired acquisition of skilled behavior in rotarod task by moderate depletion of striatal dopamine in a pre-symptomatic stage model of Parkinson's diseaseTaichi Ogura
Division of Brain Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kitasato University, Sagamihara 228 8555, Japan
Neurosci Res 51:299-308. 2005..Based on these results, we concluded that the striatum-based function underlying the acquisition of skilled behaviors or sensorimotor learning may be more vulnerable to dopamine depletion than the motor control...
- Behavioral differences in a rotenone-induced hemiparkinsonian rat model developed following intranigral or median forebrain bundle infusionKizhakke M Sindhu
Division of Clinical and Experimental Neuroscience, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4, Raja S C Mullick Road, Kolkata 700 032, India
Brain Res 1051:25-34. 2005....
- Testing forelimb placing "across the midline" reveals distinct, lesion-dependent patterns of recovery in ratsMartin T Woodlee
Institute for Neuroscience, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Exp Neurol 191:310-7. 2005..cortex, and (3) infusions of the catecholamine neurotoxin 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the medial forebrain bundle, producing a parkinsonian syndrome...
- Riluzole improves motor deficits and attenuates loss of striatal neurons in a sequential double lesion rat model of striatonigral degeneration (parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy)C Scherfler
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Innsbruck, Austria
J Neural Transm 112:1025-33. 2005..administered prior to and consecutively for ten days following double lesion placement in the left-sided medial forebrain bundle and ipsilateral striatum...
- Fibroblast growth factor-20 promotes the differentiation of Nurr1-overexpressing neural stem cells into tyrosine hydroxylase-positive neuronsC Grothe
Hannover Medical School, Department of Neuroanatomy, D 30623 Hannover, Germany
Neurobiol Dis 17:163-70. 2004..Thus, our results suggest that FGF-20 promotes the differentiation of Nurr1-NSCs into TH-positive neurons and that additional factors are required for the efficient differentiation of DA neurons in the adult brain...
- In vivo characterization of somatodendritic dopamine release in the substantia nigra of 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned ratsSophie Sarre
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Research Group Experimental Pharmacology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
J Neurochem 90:29-39. 2004We investigated the effect of an injection of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the rat medial forebrain bundle (MFB) on the degeneration and the function of the dopaminergic cell bodies in the substantia nigra (SN) 3 and 5 weeks after ..
- Stress reduces the neuroprotective effect of exercise in a rat model for Parkinson's diseaseFleur M Howells
Division of Physiology, Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Observatory 7925, Room 5 02, Anatomy Building, South Africa
Behav Brain Res 165:210-20. 2005..LE) rats were unilaterally lesioned by injection of the neurotoxin, 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA), into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) of the left hemisphere...
- Effects of pallidotomy on motor symptoms in an animal model of Parkinson's diseaseJasmine Henderson
Department of Pharmacology, Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Behav Brain Res 169:29-38. 2006..four groups (each of 10 rats) which received either unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) lesions of the medial forebrain bundle (mfb) plus sham surgery to the pallidum, sham surgery of mfb plus N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) induced ..
- Neurochemical correlates of sparing from motor deficits in rats depleted of striatal dopamine as weanlingsMichael I Sandstrom
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Dev Psychobiol 43:373-83. 2003..Administration of 6-OHDA into the medial forebrain bundle resulted in comparably large (> or = 95%) depletions of tissue levels of DA in both age groups...
- Developing a preclinical model of Parkinson's disease: a study of behaviour in rats with graded 6-OHDA lesionsL Truong
Department of Pharmacology, Institute for Biochemical Research, Bosch Building, School of Medical Sciences, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Behav Brain Res 169:1-9. 2006Injection of increasing concentrations of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) can be used to establish a graded model of different clinical stages of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- L-DOPA inhibits depolarization-induced [3H]GABA release in the dopamine-denervated globus pallidus of the rat: the effect is dopamine independent and mediated by D2-like receptorsI Silva
Departamento de Fisiologia, Biofísica y Neurociencias del CINVESTAV, Mexico, Mexico
J Neural Transm 113:1847-53. 2006..L-DOPA could control Parkinson's disease symptoms acting not only as dopamine precursor but also by itself...
- Estrogen interacts with the IGF-1 system to protect nigrostriatal dopamine and maintain motoric behavior after 6-hydroxdopamine lesionsArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 1763, USA
J Neurosci Res 75:107-16. 2004..All rats were infused unilaterally with 6-OHDA into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) to lesion the nigrostriatal DA pathway...
- Quantitative analyses of GFRalpha-1 and GFRalpha-2 mRNAs and tyrosine hydroxylase protein in the nigrostriatal system reveal bilateral compensatory changes following unilateral 6-OHDA lesions in the ratD A Kozlowski
Children s Memorial Institute for Education and Research, 2300 Children s Plaza, Box 209 Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Brain Res 1016:170-81. 2004..nigra (SN) of normal rats and rats acutely or progressively lesioned by 6-OHDA injected into the medial forebrain bundle or ST, respectively. GFRalpha-1 mRNA was clearly detected in normal ST...
- Behavioral characterization of a unilateral 6-OHDA-lesion model of Parkinson's disease in miceRuxandra Iancu
Neuronal Survival Unit, Wallenberg Neuroscience Centre, Department of Experimental Medical Sciences, Lunds University, BMC A10, 22184 Lund, Sweden
Behav Brain Res 162:1-10. 2005..This mouse model offers the opportunity to use transgenic mouse strains and study the interactions between genes of interest and toxins in relation to Parkinson's disease etiology in the future...
- Susceptibility of ascending dopamine projections to 6-hydroxydopamine in rats: effect of hypothermiaR J Grant
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, H3G 1Y6, Montreal, QC, Canada
Neuroscience 115:1281-94. 2002..these questions, 6-OHDA or vehicle was infused into either the ventral or dorsal striatum or into the medial forebrain bundle, under conditions of brain normothermia or hypothermia...
- PNU-96391A (OSU6162) antagonizes the development of behavioral sensitization induced by dopamine agonists in a rat model for Parkinson's diseaseN F Nichols
Neurobiology Research, Pharmacia Corporation, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Neuropharmacology 43:817-24. 2002..These results suggest that PNU-96391A could be therapeutically useful to prevent the development of behavioral sensitization induced by DA agonists...
- Dopamine lesion-induced changes in subthalamic nucleus activity are not associated with alterations in firing rate or pattern in layer V neurons of the anterior cingulate cortex in anesthetized ratsLouise C Parr-Brownlie
Neurophysiological Pharmacology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 35 Convent Drive, Building 35 Room 1C 905, Bethesda, MD 20892 3702, USA
Eur J Neurosci 26:1925-39. 2007..Data show that alterations in STN activity in the dopamine-lesioned hemisphere are not associated with alterations in neuronal activity in layer V of the anterior cingulate cortex in anesthetized rats...
- Altered expression and subcellular distribution of GRK subtypes in the dopamine-depleted rat basal ganglia is not normalized by l-DOPA treatmentM Rafiuddin Ahmed
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Neurochem 104:1622-36. 2008..The data suggest that alterations in the expression and subcellular distribution of arrestins and GRKs contribute to pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease. Thus, these proteins may be targets for antiparkinsonian therapy...
- Early pubertal female rats are more resistant than males to 6-hydroxydopamine neurotoxicity and behavioural deficits: a possible role for trophic factorsI S Pienaar
Division of Medical Physiology, University of Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Restor Neurol Neurosci 25:513-26. 2007..The present study focused on possible gender differences in vulnerability to 6-OHDA during the early pubertal period when the effects exerted by gonadal steroid hormones are unpronounced...
- Retrograde tracing techniques influence reported death rates of adult rat nigrostriatal neuronsJ G Emsley
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, B3H 4H7, Canada
Exp Neurol 168:425-33. 2001..However, for drug screening purposes, faster labeling with Fluorogold using two sites is more suitable and should provide reliable data...
- The central aromatic amino acid DOPA decarboxylase inhibitor, NSD-1015, does not inhibit L-DOPA-induced circling in unilateral 6-OHDA-lesioned-ratsS A Treseder
Neurodegenenerative Disease Research Centre, Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Guy's, King's and St Thomas' School of Biomedical Sciences, King's College, London, Guy's Campus, London, SE1 1UL, UK
Eur J Neurosci 13:162-70. 2001..NSD-1015, therefore, may not be an appropriate tool for the study of brain AADC activity and for assessing the neuromodulatory role of L-DOPA...
- Comparison of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced medial forebrain bundle and nigrostriatal terminal lesions in rats using a lateralised nose-poking task with low stimulus-response compatibilityEilis Dowd
Brain Repair Group, School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
Behav Brain Res 165:181-6. 2005..nigrostriatal terminal lesions induced by unilateral injection of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) or striatum, respectively...
- In vivo neurochemical effects of the NR2B selective NMDA receptor antagonist CR 3394 in 6-hydroxydopamine lesioned ratsSophie Sarre
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Research Group Experimental Pharmacology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, B1090 Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pharmacol 584:297-305. 2008..Therefore, future studies are necessary to establish the potential of selective NR2B receptor antagonists as L-Dopa-sparing agents...
- Sprouting of dopamine terminals and altered dopamine release and uptake in Parkinsonian dyskinaesiaJoohyung Lee
Brain Injury and Repair, Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, 3010, Australia
Brain 131:1574-87. 2008..lesioned rats and primates suggest that impaired striatal DA re-uptake and increased DA release from medial forebrain bundle fibres contribute to maintaining striatal DA levels...
- Implantable microelectrode arrays for simultaneous electrophysiological and neurochemical recordingsMatthew D Johnson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1101 Beal Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Neurosci Methods 174:62-70. 2008..did not significantly influence electrophysiological activity, (2) that electrical stimulation in the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) region resulted in electrochemically transduced dopamine transients in the striatum that were ..
- The distribution of 5-HT(6) receptors in rat brain: an autoradiographic binding study using the radiolabelled 5-HT(6) receptor antagonist [(125)I]SB-258585Jennifer C Roberts
Neuroscience Research, GlaxoSmithKline, New Frontiers Science Park North, Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex CM19 5AW, UK
Brain Res 934:49-57. 2002..The high levels of binding observed in the choroid plexus in this study have not been reported before. This finding suggests that 5-HT(6) receptors could play a role in the control of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics...
- The rate of intravenous cocaine administration determines susceptibility to sensitizationAnne Noël Samaha
Department of Psychology Biopsychology Program, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1109, USA
J Neurosci 22:3244-50. 2002..This suggests that the temporal dynamics of drug delivery to the brain is a critical factor in the ability of cocaine to induce forms of neuronal plasticity that may contribute to addiction...
- [125I]Epibatidine-labelled nicotinic receptors in the extended striatum and cerebral cortex: lack of association with serotonergic afferentsAmynah A A Pradhan
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1Y6
Brain Res 954:227-36. 2002..unilateral infusions of the neurotoxins 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine, 6-hydroxydopamine or vehicle into the medial forebrain bundle, and were sacrificed 3 weeks later...
- Nigrostriatal damage with 6-OHDA: validation of routinely applied proceduresFederica Fulceri
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, University of Pisa, Via Roma 55, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1074:344-8. 2006..6-OHDA must be microinfused selectively into the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNpc) or into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB) to determine the nigrostriatal lesion...
- Carbon fiber microelectrodes with multiple sensing elements for in vivo voltammetryShawn F Dressman
Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Neurosci Methods 119:75-81. 2002..extracellular dopamine at multiple depths beneath the brain surface during electrical stimulation of the medial forebrain bundle. When the sensing elements were 10-15 microm apart, the stimulus responses at each element were distinct, ..
- Medial forebrain bundle axotomy during development induces apoptosis in dopamine neurons of the substantia nigra and activation of caspases in their degenerating axonsBassem F El-Khodor
Department of Neurology, The College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Comp Neurol 452:65-79. 2002..These results raise the possibility that caspase activation may occur in other programmed cell death contexts for these neurons, and, if this is so, then their inhibition may be a useful therapeutic target...
- The effect of thrombin on a 6-hydroxydopamine model of Parkinson's disease depends on timingJason R Cannon
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States
Behav Brain Res 183:161-8. 2007..of experiments, rats received co-administration of thrombin (1U) or saline and 6-OHDA (5microg) into the medial forebrain bundle. 6-OHDA+thrombin resulted in striking increases in behavioral deficits, compared to 6-OHDA+saline...
- Overexpression of D2/D3 receptors increases efficacy of ropinirole in chronically 6-OHDA-lesioned Parkinsonian ratsN Matsukawa
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Brain Res 1160:113-23. 2007..Adult Sprague-Dawley rats initially received unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesion of the medial forebrain bundle. At 1 month after surgery, successfully lesioned animals (3 or less forelimb akinesia score, and 8 or ..
- Somatostatin modulates the behavioral effects of dopamine receptor activation in parkinsonian ratsJ Q Lu
Pacific Parkinson s Research Centre, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Neuroscience 112:261-6. 2002..In the present study, rats with unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine-induced destruction of the medial forebrain bundle were assessed following administration of the dopamine(1/2) receptor agonist apomorphine...
- Anatomical "circuitry" in the brain mediating alcohol drinking revealed by THP-reactive sites in the limbic systemR D Myers
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 4354
Alcohol 7:449-59. 1990..THP-reactive sites comprise the substantia nigra, reticular formation, medial lemniscus, zona incerta, medial forebrain bundle, nucleus accumbens, olfactory tubercle, lateral septal nucleus, preoptic area, stria terminalis, and ..
- Dopamine and glutamate release in the nucleus accumbens and ventral tegmental area of rat following lateral hypothalamic self-stimulationZ B You
Center for Studies in Behavioural Neurobiology, Department of Psychology, Concordia University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Neuroscience 107:629-39. 2001..high-threshold (and thus rarely directly depolarized by rewarding stimulation) dopaminergic fibers of the medial forebrain bundle. We used in vivo microdialysis and high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with electrochemical or ..
- Prior D1 dopamine receptor stimulation is required to prime D2-mediated striatal Fos expression in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned ratsA E Pollack
Department of Psychology, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Neuroscience 94:505-14. 1999..Twenty-one days following unilateral stereotaxic injection of 6-hydroxydopamine into the medial forebrain bundle, rats received three pretreatment injections, at three- to six-day intervals, with either: the mixed D1/..
- Receptor changes during chronic dopaminergic stimulationP Jenner
University Department of Neurology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, U K
J Neural Transm Suppl 27:161-75. 1988..In rats with a unilateral 6-OHDA lesion of the medial forebrain bundle the oral administration of L-DOPA plus carbidopa for 4 weeks, followed by 4 days withdrawal, enhanced the ..
- Distribution of catecholaminergic afferent fibres in the rat globus pallidus and their relations with cholinergic neuronsJ Rodrigo
Department of Comparative Neuroanatomy, Instituto Cajal, C S I C, Madrid, Spain
J Chem Neuroanat 15:1-20. 1998..TH immunoreactive nerve fibres were seen to enter the globus pallidus from the medial forebrain bundle. The greatest density of such fibres was found in the ventral region of the globus pallidus, which was ..
- Neuronal localization of cannabinoid receptors in the basal ganglia of the ratM Herkenham
Section on Functional Neuroanatomy, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Brain Res 547:267-74. 1991..pathway was selectively destroyed in another set of animals by infusion of 6-hydroxydopamine into the medial forebrain bundle. After 2- or 4-week survivals, slide-mounted brain sections were incubated with ligands selective for ..
- Differential effects of withdrawal from chronic amphetamine or fluoxetine administration on brain stimulation reward in the rat--interactions between the two drugsD Lin
Department of Neuropharmacology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 145:283-94. 1999..Nevertheless, the effects of long-term administration and withdrawal from other drugs, such as fluoxetine, that have the potential to elevate mood in depressed individuals have not been characterized...
- Forebrain projections of arcuate neurokinin B neurons demonstrated by anterograde tract-tracing and monosodium glutamate lesions in the ratS J Krajewski
Department of Pathology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, USA
Neuroscience 166:680-97. 2010..dorsomedial nucleus and (4) Projections to a ventral hypothalamic tract to the lateral hypothalamus and medial forebrain bundle. The diverse projections provide evidence that NKB/kisspeptin/dynorphin neurons could integrate the ..
- A 6-hydroxydopamine lesion of the mesostriatal dopamine system decreases the expression of corticotropin releasing hormone and neurotensin mRNAs in the amygdala and bed nucleus of the stria terminalisHeidi E W Day
Psychology Department, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Brain Res 945:151-9. 2002..left unoperated or were pretreated with desipramine and then injected unilaterally with 6-OHDA into the medial forebrain bundle to lesion the ascending mesostriatal DA neurons...
- Nigrostriatal lesion and dopamine agonists affect firing patterns of rodent entopeduncular nucleus neuronsDavid N Ruskin
Neurophysiological Pharmacology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurophysiol 88:487-96. 2002..intact animals (n = 42) or in animals that had received unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine infusion into the medial forebrain bundle several weeks previously (n = 35)...
- A neuroanatomical substrate for alcohol drinking: identification of tetrahydropapaveroline (THP)-reactive sites in the rat brainR D Myers
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27834
Brain Res Bull 22:899-911. 1989..sensitive to THP included the substantia nigra, reticular formation, medial lemniscus, zona incerta and medial forebrain bundle. When injected at 21 sites located more rostrally within AP planes 6.5-10...
- MDMA and fenfluramine reduce L-DOPA-induced dyskinesia via indirect 5-HT1A receptor stimulationChristopher Bishop
Behavioural Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Binghamton, 4400 Vestal Parkway East, Binghamton, NY 13902 6000, USA
Eur J Neurosci 23:2669-76. 2006..To test this, male Sprague-Dawley rats with unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine medial forebrain bundle lesions received 1 week of daily treatment with L-DOPA (12 mg/kg, i.p.) plus benserazide (15 mg/kg, i.p.)...
- Failure of neuroprotection by embryonic striatal grafts in a double lesion rat model of striatonigral degeneration (multiple system atrophy)Z Puschban
Neurological Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Exp Neurol 164:166-75. 2000..rats received under halothane inhalation anesthesia a 6-hydroxydopamine 6-OHDA injection into the left medial forebrain bundle. Four to 5 weeks later apomorphine-induced rotation behavior was tested...
- Dopaminergic agonists and muscarinic antagonists improve lateralization in hemiparkinsonian rats in a novel exploratory Y-mazeMakoto Nakagawa
Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Eisai Co, Ltd, 5 1 3 Tokodai, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki 300 2635, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 309:737-44. 2004..the lateralization in hemiparkinsonian rats having 6-hydroxydopamine-induced unilateral lesion of the medial forebrain bundle. A novel exploratory Y-maze was designed to detect the lateralization of hemiparkinsonian rats in terms ..
- Sexual dimorphism in the brain metabolic response to prenatal cocaine exposureD L Dow-Edwards
State University of New York, Laboratory of Cerebral Metabolism, Department of Physiology Pharmacology, Box 29 450 Clarkson Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 129:73-9. 2001..portion of the forebrain, the mesocortical-limbic system, particularly in regions associated with the medial forebrain bundle. These reductions were seen primarily in males while some regions showed changes which were independent ..
- Apomorphine-induced turning behavior in 6-hydroxydopamine lesioned rats is increased by histidine and decreased by histidine decarboxylase, histamine H1 and H2 receptor antagonists, and an H3 receptor agonistChun Qing Liu
Department of Neurobiology, Institute of Neuroscience, Zhejiang University, School of Medicine, Hangzhou, 310058, China
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 90:325-30. 2008..Rats with unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the substantia nigra pars compacta and medial forebrain bundle were administered histaminergic agents, and apomorphine-induced turning behavior was tested on Days 7 and ..
- Immunocytochemical visualization of D-glutamate in the rat brainA Mangas
Gemacbio SA, Immunochemistry Department, Cenon, France
Neuroscience 144:654-64. 2007..nucleus of Darkschewitsch, and in the medial habenular nucleus, whereas a low density was found below the medial forebrain bundle and in the posterior thalamic nuclear group...
- Immunosuppression for neural xenografts: a comparison of cyclosporin and anti-CD25 monoclonal antibodyC R Honey
Division of Neurosurgery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Neurosurg 91:109-13. 1999....
- Increases in [3H]FK-506 and [3H]L-N(G)-nitro-arginine binding in the rat brain after nigrostriatal dopaminergic denervationT Araki
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Metab Brain Dis 14:21-31. 1999..dopamine uptake sites in the brain 1 week to 8 weeks after unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine injection of the medial forebrain bundle in rats...
- Voluntary exercise reduces the neurotoxic effects of 6-hydroxydopamine in maternally separated ratsMusa Vuyisile Mabandla
Department of Human Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban 4000, South Africa
Behav Brain Res 211:16-22. 2010..unilateral infusions of a small dose of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA, 5 microg/4 microl saline) into the medial forebrain bundle. The results showed that voluntary exercise had a neuroprotective effect in both non-stressed and ..
- Cholinergic and serotonergic neocortical projection lesions given singly or in combination cause only mild impairments on tests of skilled movement in rats: evaluation of a model of dementiaOmar A Gharbawie
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Dr, Alberta T1K 3M4, Canada
Brain Res 970:97-109. 2003..Rats received unilateral neurotoxic lesions to either the nucleus basalis (quisqualic acid), or the medial forebrain bundle (5,7-dihydroxytryptamine), or both, which reduced neocortical levels of ACh (55%) and 5-HT (63%)...
- Gamma-aminobutyric acidA and benzodiazepine receptor alterations in the rat brain after unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the medial forebrain bundleT Araki
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Aoba yama, Sendai, Japan
Neurol Res 24:107-12. 2002..The rats were unilaterally lesioned in the medial forebrain bundle and the brains were analyzed at 1, 2, 4 and 8 weeks post-lesion...
- Wireless Instantaneous Neurotransmitter Concentration System-based amperometric detection of dopamine, adenosine, and glutamate for intraoperative neurochemical monitoringFilippo Agnesi
Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg 111:701-11. 2009....
- Stoichiometry of tyrosine hydroxylase phosphorylation in the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic systems in vivo: effects of acute haloperidol and related compoundsM F Salvatore
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
J Neurochem 75:225-32. 2000Electrical stimulation of the medial forebrain bundle increases (32)P incorporation into striatal tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) at Ser (19), Ser(31), and Ser(40)...
- Neurobiology of Orexin/Hypocretin-Induced ArousalCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide a better understanding of the neurobiology of orexin, the neurobiology of sleep and waking, and the potential role of orexin in narcolepsy and other disorders of arousal. ..
- Interactions Between the Brain Reward and Pain Systems.Conan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..out in rats in which two electrodes are surgically implanted in each animal, one in a reward site (the medial forebrain bundle) and the other in a pain site (mesencephalic reticular formation)...
- Acute and Chronic Effects of Inhalants in ICSSMATTHEW ED TRACY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Two groups of 16 C57BL6/J mice will be implanted with chronic bipolar electrodes into their medial forebrain bundle. Mice will then be trained to respond for electrical stimulation under air exposure conditions...
- MARIJUANA & DOPAMINE/ENKEPHALIN BRAIN REWARD SYSTEMSELIOT GARDNER; Fiscal Year: 1992..ingredient in marijuana, does the following: (1) lowers direct brain reward thresholds in the medial forebrain bundle, in a rat strain-specific fashion, (2) enhances presynaptic release of known to support brain reward, and ..
- Optogenetic Manipulation of Brain RewardLuis de Lecea; Fiscal Year: 2009..Therefore, studies aimed at identifying the source of stimulation within the medial forebrain bundle will yield essential information about the components of the brain reward circuitry...
- NEURAL SUBSTRATE OF REWARDING BRAIN STIMULATIONMeg Waraczynski; Fiscal Year: 1999..Initial experiments will examine the effects on medial forebrain bundle self-stimulation of lesions that destroy specific regions of the mid- and hindbrain...
- DRUGS OF ABUSE AND THE MEDIAL FOREBRAIN BUNDLELARRY REID; Fiscal Year: 1990..Research is proposed which will delineate which neurochemical systems are critical to both opioid and THC's rewarding features...
- ELECTROCHEMICAL STUDY OF CNS REWARD CIRCUITS FOR COCAINEPATRICIA BRODERICK; Fiscal Year: 1990..studies to dopamine release from neuroanatomical substrates implicated in brain reward, including the medial forebrain bundle, in the freely moving rat, under conditions of saline, acute and chronic cocaine use and during brain ..
- Novel Delta Opioids: Analgesic Effects & Abuse LiabilitySIDNEY NEGUS; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Epigenetics of fetal alcohol syndromeFeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2009..The effect of these epigenetic key genes will be confirmed in the in vivo model exposed to alcohol vapor chamber with alcohol exposure pattern and paradigms similar to the whole embryonic culture. ..
- ALCOHOL & BRAIN DEVELOPMENT: MIDLINE CASCADE HYPOTHESISFeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Neuroanatomical adaptation at synaptic level to chronicFeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2003..The setting of this threshold might be derailed when alcohol is cyclically deprived. Current and future study along this line will provide information enabling us to better understanding excess drinking behavior. ..
- DEPRESSION, 5-HT1A RECEPTOR & NEUROPLASTICITYEfrain Azmitia; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant will focus on dendritic collapse and apoptosis of neurons. This work will continue our long-term research into the interactions between serotonin and adult neumplasticity. ..
- NEUROCHEMISTRY OF AMPHETAMINE INDUCED AROUSALCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Information obtained in these studies may provide insight into mechanisms underlying, and future treatment of, stimulant drug abuse, ADHD and narcolepsy. ..
- MENTAL HEALTH 5 HTIA RECEPTOR AND NEUROPLASTICITYEfrain Azmitia; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- AMPHETAMINE-LIKE STIMULANTS: NOREPINEPHRINE & BEHAVIORCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information obtained in these studies may provide insight into mechanisms subserving, and treatment of, stimulant drug abuse. ..
- Measuring the Aversive Effects of Alcohol WithdrawalJULIA CHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Studies using this place conditioning technique are likely to provide important information that will lead to the development of novel behavioral and pharmacological treatments for alcoholism. ..
- Molecular Basis of D1 and D2 PrimingAlexia Pollack; Fiscal Year: 2003..Elucidation of this mechanism could lead to treatment strategies aimed to prevent these dyskinesias, which would, in turn, lengthen the time that dopamine replacement therapy is effective to treat patients with PD. ..
- Measuring Striatal Neurotransmission in Behaving Rats after Experimental TBIAmy Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overarching goal is to gain insight into potential mechanisms of action and efficacy of these interventions on cognition and recovery for the clinical population with TBI. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dopamine Genetic Variants Modulating Recovery After TBIAmy Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..Through neurolmaging, we hope to better understand how genetics Influences who may benefit from a relevant rehabilitation-based pharmacological treatment strategy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Information flow through executive circuitryLinda Hermer Vazquez; Fiscal Year: 2007..Knowledge of how these neural processes normally occur will aid in remediating their dysfunction in multiple psychiatric disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nicotinic Receptors in Parkinson's DiseaseMaryka Quik; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data together with the results of the behavioral studies may form a basis for the use of nicotinic drugs in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OPIATE ABUSE, REWARD AND AGINGConan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings of this study may have implications with regard to both pain management and opiate abuse in the elderly. ..
- APOPTOSIS IN SUBSTANTIA NIGRARobert E Burke; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Ethanol: Protracted Changes in Brain Glucose MetabolismConan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Withdrawl Kindling in Early Neuroadaptation to EthanolGERHARD SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN STIMULATION MODELS OF DRUG ABUSEConan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition to the research experiments it is proposed to write a historical review of the behavioral methods that have been used in the study of abused substances. ..
- Heavy Metal and Drug Self-Administration: MechanismsPAUL JEFFERSON WELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., lead contamination and cocaine use. Based on the available literature, there is reason to believe that environmental pollutants may increase vulnerability to drug addiction. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF OPIATE DEPENDENCE--NEURAL SUBSTRATESGERHARD SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..opioid dependence should provide information critical for prevention and treatment of opioid addiction, with particular emphasis on the role of acute dependence in the transition from casual drug use to loss of control and compulsive use ..
- Blood Brain Barrier Dysfunction in Parkinson's DiseasesPaul M Carvey; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings would provide an entirely new hypothesis for progression pa hogenesis and identify new targets for therapeutic intervention in PD designed arou d affecting BBB integrity. ..
- DRUGS OF ABUSE AND BRAIN STIMULATION REWARD IN THE MOUSEConan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful development of these procedures in mice will allow a more specific understanding of the nature of specific phenotypes that may have relationships to the human condition. ..
- Nicotinic and neuroprotection in a parkinson mouse modelMaryka Quik; Fiscal Year: 2007..This may allow for the design of neuroprotective strategies for PD, a disorder for which only symptomatic treatment is currently available. ..
- Prenatal LPS-induced changes in gene expressionPaul Carvey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these studies will also provide a unique opportunity to determine if prenatal neurotoxin exposure can permanently alter genes that increase the risk of neurodegenerative disease in later life. ..
- NPY Feeding Circuits during DevelopmentKevin Grove; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding of the normal and abnormal development of this circuitry is critical to determining the physiological mechanisms that underlie adult obesity and identify a critical period for possible intervention. ..
- EXTRACELLULAR NEUROCHEMISTRY AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEADRIAN MICHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2003..With these devices, the impact of drugs on the regulation of the spatiotemporal distribution of dopamine in the extracellular space of the caudate nucleus and nucleus accumbens of the rat will be observed. ..
- Sampling and Detection of Neuropeptides in nL VolumesADRIAN MICHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2002..The peptide content will be determined in samples acquired under basal conditions, during potassium-induced depolarization, in the absence of calcium ion, and in the presence of peptidase inhibitors. ..
- Innovations for In Vivo Neurochemical AnalysisADRIAN MICHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will test the hypothesis that the neuronally derived component of extracellular glutamate levels in the striatum is under the regulation of the medial prefrontal cortex. ..
- Dopamine Function in TBI--Therapeutic InterventionAmy Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Departments of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Neurosurgery, Anesthesia/Critical Care Medicine, and Safar Center for Resuscitation Research provide the environment for this study of experimental and clinical brain injury. ..
- Gender Differences in Dopamine Function after TBIAmy Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Neuropeptide-based therapies for nicotine dependenceADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Memory networks in the hippocampal formationJAMES KNIERIM; Fiscal Year: 2005..These experiments will generate fundamental insights into the neural interactions that underlie learning and memory, as well as insights into how these mechanisms go awry in debilitating diseases such as Alzheimer's Disease. ..
- Psychostimulants and Alpha-1 Adrenoceptor SubtypesPaul Wellman; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will advance our understanding of the behavioral functions of brain a l-AR subtypes and may lead to the identification of new drugs that inhibit eating without activating brain reinforcement systems. ..
- Role of CRF in the affective symptoms of acute and protracted ethanol withdrawalADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..