- The origin of the spinal subdural space: ultrastructure findings
Miguel Angel Reina
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Hospital General de Mostoles, Hospital de Madrid Monteprincipe, Spain
Anesth Analg 94:991-5, table of contents. 2002
Previous studies of samples from cranial meninges have created doubts about the existence of a virtual subdural space. We examined the ultrastructure of spinal meninges from three human cadavers immediately after death to see whether ..
- Electric cortical stimulation suppresses epileptic and background activities in neocortical epilepsy and mesial temporal lobe epilepsy
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawaharacho, Sakyoku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 116:1291-9. 2005
..To evaluate the suppressive effect of electric cortical stimulation upon the seizure onset zone and the non-epileptic cortex covered by subdural electrodes in patients with neocortical epilepsy and mesial temporal lobe epilepsy (MTLE)...
- Tailored resections in occipital lobe epilepsy surgery guided by monitoring with subdural electrodes: characteristics and outcome
Anne G Caicoya
Epilepsy Unit, Department of Neurology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Avda Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Epilepsy Res 77:1-10. 2007
..In this study we present our experience with individually tailored resections of occipital lobe epileptic foci guided by monitoring with subdural electrodes...
- [Functional brain mapping detected by cortical stimulation using chronically implanted subdural electrodes: basic knowledge of clinical nerve physiology for neurosurgeons]
Critical Care Medical Center, Nara Prefectural Nara Hospital, 1 30 1 Hiramatsu, Nara 631 0846, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 31:811-8; discussion 818-9. 2003
- Low frequency electrical stimulation through subdural electrodes in a case of refractory status epilepticus
Lara M Schrader
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 710 Westwood Plaza, Room 1 194, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 117:781-8. 2006
..We delivered low frequency stimulation through subdural electrodes to suppress seizures in a case of refractory status epilepticus (RSE)...
- The use of subdural grids in the management of focal malformations due to abnormal cortical development
Imad M Najm
Section of Epilepsy, Department of Neurology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Neurosurg Clin N Am 13:87-92, viii-ix. 2002
..The indications and the role of invasive subdural electrode evaluation are discussed...
- Effect of an external responsive neurostimulator on seizures and electrographic discharges during subdural electrode monitoring
Eric H Kossoff
Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 1000, USA
Epilepsia 45:1560-7. 2004
..Approved neural-stimulation therapies for epilepsy use prolonged intermittent stimulation paradigms with no ability to respond automatically to seizures...
- The effectiveness of low-frequency stimulation for mapping cortical function
Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Epilepsia 49:481-7. 2008
..To establish the efficacy and safety of low-frequency electrical stimulation for cortical brain mapping...
- Subdural effusions in the posterior fossa associated with spontaneous intracranial hypotension
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Japan
Can J Neurol Sci 33:205-8. 2006
..Misdiagnosis of spontaneous intracranial hypotension remains a problem, despite increasing recognition...
- Spectrum of clinical and histopathologic responses to intracranial electrodes: from multifocal aseptic meningitis to multifocal hypersensitivity-type meningovasculitis
C L Stephan
Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Epilepsia 42:895-901. 2001
..Surgical outcome, excellent in the majority, was independent of the severity or type of inflammation, and there have not been neurologic or systemic sequelae...
- Papilloedema in association with spinal lipoma and bilateral chronic subdural bleeding
Department of Neurosurgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Spinal Cord 46:392-4. 2008
..A case report describing a patient presenting with papilloedema, headache and saddle hypoesthesia caused by a lumbo-sacral intraspinal extradural lipoma in the presence of a bilateral chronic subdural haematoma (cSDH)...
- Magnetoencephalography-guided epilepsy surgery for children with intractable focal epilepsy: SickKids experience
Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Int J Psychophysiol 68:104-10. 2008
..MEG is a useful tool in children with intractable focal epilepsy to determine the surgical candidacy and focal cortical resection to stop seizures...
- Cortical motor mapping in epilepsy patients: information from subdural electrodes in presurgical evaluation
Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Human Brain Research Center, Kyoto University School of Medicine, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Epilepsia 43:56-60. 2002
- Origin and propagation of epileptic spasms delineated on electrocorticography
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, 3901 Beaubien Street, Detroit, MI 48201, U S A
Epilepsia 46:1086-97. 2005
- Traumatic subdural hematoma of the thoraco-lumbar junction of spinal cord
Department of Spine Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery and Neurosurgery, SRH, Wald Klinikum Gera GmbH, Gera, Germany
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:239-41. 2007
..It is generally agreed that prompt surgical evacuation should be performed before irreversible damage to the spinal cord occurs. However, conservative treatment still plays a role in the management of SSDH...
- Spontaneous intracranial hypotension after labor without spinal intervention
Department of Radiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Neurol 15:91-3. 2008
..She was treated with a high-volume epidural blood patch (EBP) and her symptoms were relieved. Lactation returned to normal after EBP. She had normal findings on follow-up MRI examination at 6 months...
- Local cortical function after uncomplicated subdural electrode implantation. Laboratory investigation
Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosurg 108:139-44. 2008
..The authors used psychophysical methods to measure the effect of uncomplicated electrode implantation on local cortical function...
- Rapid and fully automated visualization of subdural electrodes in the presurgical evaluation of epilepsy patients
Epilepsy Center, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:1078-83. 2005
..The extracted brain is presented in 3D with the electrodes directly visible by their susceptibility artifacts. Compared with alternative methods, ours is based on freely available software and does not require manual intervention...
- Subdural EEG patterns in children with taylor-type cortical dysplasia: comparison with nondysplastic lesions
Department of Neurology, Miami Children s Hospital Brain Institute, Miami, Florida 33155, USA
J Clin Neurophysiol 22:37-42. 2005
..These findings suggest that markers other than CEDs physiologically characterize dysplastic cortex and that children with TTCD exhibit more widespread excitability of neural pathways...
- A rapid and reliable procedure to localize subdural electrodes in presurgical evaluation of patients with drug-resistant focal epilepsy
Epilepsy Surgery Unit, IRCCS Neuromed, Via Atinense, n 18, 86077 Pozzilli IS, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 117:341-7. 2006
..To evaluate a novel method for localization of subdural electrodes in presurgical assessment of patients with drug-resistant focal epilepsy...
- Subdural electrode-associated complications: a 20-year experience
Kostas N Fountas
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 85:264-72. 2007
..Although their implantation is safe, the occurrence of implantation-associated complications can occasionally be troublesome...
- The clinical challenge of recognizing infratentorial empyema
Diederik van de Beek
Division of Critical Care Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurology 69:477-81. 2007
..Infratentorial empyema is an uncommon complication of bacterial meningitis. Very little is known about its recognition and appropriate management...
- Electrocorticographically controlled brain-computer interfaces using motor and sensory imagery in patients with temporary subdural electrode implants. Report of four cases
Elizabeth A Felton
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706 1608, USA
J Neurosurg 106:495-500. 2007
..These findings indicate that sensory and other brain areas not previously considered ideal for ECoG-based control can provide additional channels of control that may be useful for a motor BCI...
- Radiographic characteristics fail to predict clinical course after subdural electrode placement
Department of Neurological Surgery, Columbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Neurosurgery 58:120-5; discussion 120-5. 2006
..To facilitate treatment decision-making in postoperative subdural electrode patients, we reviewed and compared the computed tomographic (CT) features of postelectrode placement EACs in asymptomatic and symptomatic patients...
- Use of an anteromedial subdural strip electrode in the evaluation of medial temporal lobe epilepsy. Technical note
Aaron A Cohen-Gadol
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
J Neurosurg 99:921-3. 2003
..This technique has been used with no complications during intracranial monitoring of more than 100 patients with presumed temporal lobe epilepsy...
- Subdural electrodes in focal cortical dysplasia
Department of Neurology, University of Munich, Germany
Epileptic Disord 5:S91-4. 2003
..Recent advances in imaging techniques now allow more accurate placement of the subdural electrodes and also limit the number required...
- Subregions of human MT complex revealed by comparative MEG and direct electrocorticographic recordings
Human Brain Research Center, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Shogoin, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 115:2056-65. 2004
..To locate the visual motion complex (MT+) and study its response properties in an epilepsy surgery patient...
- Evidence of basal temporo-occipital cortex involvement in stereoscopic vision in humans: a study with subdural electrode recordings
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Cereb Cortex 15:117-22. 2005
..Our findings indicate that the fusiform area is involved in the processing of the stereoscopic information and shows responses that suggest a high level of stereoscopic processing...
- Headache and spontaneous low cerebrospinal fluid pressure syndrome
Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, I 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 28:S232-4. 2007
..All SIH patients suffered from headache. Early recognition of SIH may avoid dangerous worsening due to delayed diagnosis. Orthostatic headache, the main symptom, suggests the diagnosis...
- Detection of temporal lobe spikes: comparing nasopharyngeal, cheek and anterior temporal electrodes to simultaneous subdural recordings
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, F02 201, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1771-7. 2008
..To compare nasopharyngeal (NP), cheek and anterior temporal (AT) electrodes for the detection yield and localization of interictal spikes in temporal lobe epilepsy...
- Seizures lead to elevation of intracranial pressure in children undergoing invasive EEG monitoring
Aash K Shah
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University and Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Epilepsia 48:1097-103. 2007
..To study the effects of intracranial subdural grid electrode placement and seizures on intracranial pressure (ICP) in children undergoing invasive EEG monitoring...
- Dynamic changes of ictal high-frequency oscillations in neocortical epilepsy: using multiple band frequency analysis
The Divisions of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Epilepsia 48:286-96. 2007
..To characterize the spatial and temporal course of ictal high-frequency oscillations (HFOs) recorded by subdural EEG in children with intractable neocortical epilepsy...
- Topographic movie of ictal high-frequency oscillations on the brain surface using subdural EEG in neocortical epilepsy
Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Epilepsia 47:1953-7. 2006
..To understand the rapid dynamic changes of ictal intracranial high-frequency oscillations (HFOs) in neocortical epilepsy...
- Temporal epileptogenesis: localizing value of scalp and subdural interictal and ictal EEG data
W T Blume
London Health Sciences Centre, University Campus, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
Epilepsia 42:508-14. 2001
- Magnetoencephalography is more successful for screening and localizing frontal lobe epilepsy than electroencephalography
Epilepsy Centre Kempenhaeghe, Heeze, The Netherlands
Epilepsia 48:2139-49. 2007
..To this end the localization results obtained for magnetoencephalography (MEG) and electroencephalography (EEG) were compared systematically using automated analysis procedures...
- A motor resonance mechanism in children? Evidence from subdural electrodes in a 36-month-old child
Departement de Psychologie, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
Neuroreport 15:2625-7. 2004
..These data suggest the presence of a mirror neuron system early in the developing brain...
- Quantitative visualization of ictal subdural EEG changes in children with neocortical focal seizures
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 115:2718-27. 2004
..To quantify the ictal subdural electroencephalogram (EEG) changes using spectral analysis, and to delineate the quantitatively defined ictal onset zones on high-resolution 3D MR images in children with intractable neocortical epilepsy...
- Contralateral development of chronic subdural hematoma after evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma. A case report
H Kamil Sucu
Izmir Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Izmir, Turkey
J Neurosurg Sci 50:71-4; discussion 74. 2006
..If contralateral subdural higroma is seen after surgical evacuation of a chronic subdural hematoma, the possibility of development of contralateral chronic subdural hematoma must be kept on mind...
- Nonhabitual seizures in patients with implanted subdural electrodes
Kostas N Fountas
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 82:165-8. 2004
..The occurrence of nonhabitual seizures comes to add itself to the existing list of complications associated with employment of subdural electrodes for invasive monitoring...
- Visualization of subdural electrodes
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:1727-8. 2003
- The impact of cerebral source area and synchrony on recording scalp electroencephalography ictal patterns
James X Tao
Adult Epilepsy Service, Department of Neurology, The University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, U S A
Epilepsia 48:2167-76. 2007
- [Evaluation of subdural hemorrhage in infants after alleged minor trauma]
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Freie Universitat Berlin, FB Humanmedizin, Hittorfstrasse 18, 14195 Berlin
Unfallchirurg 104:569-76. 2001
..The wide-spread interpretation that most of these cases are the result of abuse, especially by the shaken-baby-syndrome, was doubted, and the role of (even minor) accidental events was emphasized...
- Superimposed propionibacterium acnes subdural empyema in a patient with chronic subdural hematoma
Jong Hun Kim
Department of Neurosurgery, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea
J Korean Neurosurg Soc 45:53-6. 2009
..Under the impression of epidural abscess, operation was performed. Eventually, the lesion was located at subdural space and was proven to be subdural empyema...
- [A case of spontaneous fusiform aneurysm in a middle cerebral artery branch which causes rapidly thrombosed formation in a short period]
Department ofNeurosurgery, Wakayama Rosai Hospital
No Shinkei Geka 35:1109-13. 2007
..However, during the procedure, it was difficult to control bleeding from the temporal muscle, bone flap, and subdural space. Because of this, we finished the STA-MCA bypass without trapping of the aneurysm and then, four days later, ..
- Intracranial aneurysm and arachnoid cyst: a rare association between two cerebral malformations
J G de Oliveira
Department of Neurosurgery, Center of Neurology and Neurosurgery Associates CENNA, Hospital Beneficência Portuguesa de São Paulo, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Br J Neurosurg 21:406-10. 2007
..The aneurysmal haemorrhage may be atypical, since it can be into the subarachnoid space, into the arachnoid cyst, or into the subdural space.
- [Clinical application and future prospect of neuroendoscopic surgery]
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokai University, School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa
No To Hattatsu 31:299-304. 1999
..hematoma involving the cerebral parenchyma (intracerebral hematoma), ventricles/(intraventricular hematoma) or subdural space (subdural hematoma)...
- [A postmortem view on "pure" subdural hemorrhages in infants and toddlers]
Freie Universitat Berlin, FB Humanmedizin, UK Benjamin Franklin, Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Berlin
Klin Padiatr 214:30-6. 2002
..intracranial pressure (often complicated by respiratory arrest) which prevents a signifant bleeding into the subdural space. This combination of findings is typically found in victims of massive events (car occupants in high-velocity ..
- Outcome of 2 different types of operative techniques practiced for chronic subdural hematoma in Malaysia: an analysis
Adam Mohd Zakaraia
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan 16150, Malaysia
Surg Neurol 69:608-15; discussion 616. 2008
..Thus, a study was done to look into the outcome of TCSH operated with and without irrigation, followed by drainage, to guide the surgeons in Malaysia as to what best could be done for these cases...
- [A spontaneous bilateral subdural effusion in an 11-year-old boy with middle cranial fossa arachnoid cyst]
Department of Pediatrics, Shimada Municipal Hospital, Shimada, Shizuoka
No To Hattatsu 35:342-6. 2003
..was a small tear on the wall of the arachnoid cyst, and it probably served as a communication valve with the subdural space. Since he had no history of head trauma in the past few months, the reason of the tear formation was unclear...
- Motor cortex stimulation for central and peripheral deafferentation pain. Report of eight cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
J Neurosurg 92:150-5. 2000
..In five patients we placed a 20- or 40-electrode grid in the subdural space to determine the best stimulation point for pain relief for a few weeks before definitive placement of a four-..
- Magnetic resonance imaging in a spinal abscess model. Preliminary report
V M Runge
University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536 0098, USA
Invest Radiol 33:246-55. 1998
..Magnetic resonance (MR) scan technique and lesion detectability were evaluated using a newly developed spinal abscess model in the New Zealand White rabbit...
- The role of postoperative patient posture in the recurrence of traumatic chronic subdural hematoma after burr-hole surgery
Amir Alam Hospital, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Neurosurgery 61:794-7; discussion 797. 2007
..2 to 26.5%. The role of postoperative patient posture in the recurrence of CSDH has not been studied sufficiently...
- [The meninges, an anatomical point of view]
Laboratoire d Anatomie et Organogenèse, Faculte de Medecine, 28 Place Henri Dunant, BP 38, 63001 Clermont Ferrand
Morphologie 89:35-42. 2005
..For the morphologist, the microscopic organization, the hypothetical presence of a subdural space, the nature of the interface between the deep meningeal layer and the nervous parenchyma in the perivascular ..
- Complications following endoscopic intracranial procedures in children
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Santobono Children s Hospital, Naples, Italy
Childs Nerv Syst 23:633-44. 2007
..Nevertheless, severe, sometimes life-threatening, complications may occur during neuroendoscopic surgery, and the incidence and age specificity of complications in children have been underdescribed so far...
- Cerebrospinal fluid leakage into the subdural space: possible influence on the pathogenesis and recurrence frequency of chronic subdural hematoma and subdural hygroma
Rudolf A Kristof
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, Germany
J Neurosurg 108:275-80. 2008
The purpose of this study was to clarify whether cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leakage into the subdural space is involved in the genesis of chronic subdural hematoma (CSDH) and subdural hygroma (SH) and to clarify whether this leakage of CSF ..
- [Origin of spinal subdural hematomas: a postmortem anatomical study]
M A Reina
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital de Mostoles, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 51:240-6. 2004
..The aim of this study was to identify vessels that can be found in the dural sac and whose rupture might lead to the formation of spinal subdural hematomas...
- Endoscopic fenestration of middle fossa arachnoid cysts: a technical description and case series
Mohamed Samy A Elhammady
Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Miami Children s Hospital, University of Miami, Miami, FL33136, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 43:209-15. 2007
..All these techniques, however, have been associated with the development of postoperative subdural fluid collections. We describe a new endoscopic transcortical technique that attempts to avoid this complication...
- Comparison of cerebral blood flow and injury following intracerebral and subdural hematoma in the rat
T R Patel
Department of Surgery Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Brain Res 829:125-33. 1999
..Intracranial hemorrhage was induced by the injection of 100 or 200 microl of blood into the subdural space (SDH) or into the caudate nucleus (ICH) of the rat...
- Supra- and infratentorial subdural empyema secondary to septicemia in a patient with liver abscess--case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Saitama Municipal Hospital, Saitama, Saitama, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 44:90-3. 2004
..empyema in the right cerebellopontine angle in addition to recurrence of pus in the left parietotemporal subdural space. Ischemic changes were also shown in the right cerebellar hemisphere and brainstem...
- Distribution of gacyclidine enantiomers after experimental spinal cord injury in rats: possible involvement of an active transport system
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie et de Pharmacocinétique, U F R de Pharmacie, Universite de Reims Champagne Ardenne, 51, rue Cognacq Jay, 51096 Reims Cedex, France
J Pharm Sci 90:70-8. 2001
..Spinal cord trauma was produced by introducing an inflatable balloon in the dorsal subdural space. Upon implantation of microdialysis probes in spinal cord (T9) and intravenous (iv) bolus administration of (+/..
- Motor cortex stimulation for deafferentation pain
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Neurosurg Focus 11:E1. 2001
- Pediatric intracranial subdural empyema caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis--a case report and review of literature
Anirban Deep Banerjee
Department of Neurosurgery, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore 560029, India
Childs Nerv Syst 26:1117-20. 2010
..J Neurosurg 94(6):988-991, 2001). We report a case of intracranial tubercular subdural empyema in a child, with both convexity and interhemispheric fissure involvement...
- Brief altitude exposure in New Zealand white rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) does not produce elevated intracranial pressure
Joseph D Pendon
Department of Emergency Medicine, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX, USA
Wilderness Environ Med 14:183-8. 2003
..It is believed that dexamethasone may lower ICP and thereby relieve the symptoms of AMS, but to our knowledge no study has demonstrated the effect dexamethasone has on ICP during altitude exposure...
- [A case of subdural empyema with transient cerebral white matter lesions]
Department of Pediatrics, Tomishiro Chuo Hospital, Shimajiri-gun, Okinawa
No To Hattatsu 32:547-50. 2000
..The first MRI T2-weighted image at admission revealed an abnormal high intensity in the right frontal subdural space, indicating an abscess...
- Dural haemorrhage in non-traumatic infant deaths: does it explain the bleeding in 'shaken baby syndrome'?
J F Geddes
Department of Histopathology, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 29:14-22. 2003
..brain swelling and raised central venous pressure causes blood to leak from intracranial veins into the subdural space, and that the cause of the subdural bleeding in some cases of infant head injury is therefore not traumatic ..
- Spontaneous spinal subdural hematoma in a young adult with hemophilia
R Y Friday
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 91:289-94. 1999
..of factor VIII levels, surgical exploration was undertaken and demonstrated liquefied blood within the subdural space without violation of the underlying arachnoid...
- Olfactory system involvement in natural scrapie disease
CEA, Italian Reference Laboratory for TSE, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Piemonte, Liguria e Valle d Aosta, Turin, Italy
J Virol 83:3657-67. 2009
..PrP(Sc) immunostaining in the meningeal layer of the olfactory nerve perineurium, at the border with the subdural space extension surrounding the nerve rootlets, strongly suggests a probable role of cerebrospinal fluid in ..
- Autochthonous Dirofilaria immitis infection in a ferret with aberrant larval migration in Europe
Veterinary and Conservation Department, Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden, Allatkerti krt 6 12, Budapest, Hungary
J Small Anim Pract 51:393-6. 2010
..immitis specimen in the subdural space of the cranial cavity. To the authors' knowledge, this is the first European record of D...
- Low-grade central osteosarcoma of the skull
Department of Pathology, The Jikei Daisan Hospital, 4 11 1, Izumihoncho, Komaeshi, Tokyo 201 8601, Japan
Pathol Res Pract 201:131-5. 2005
..previously on the occasion of a head trauma, was osteolytic and osteoplastic, affecting soft tissues and the subdural space. The patient was treated with intralesional curettage...
- Aphonia and quadriplegia---a rare complication following epidural labor analgesia
Feng lin Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Wan Fang Medical Center, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 46:142-5. 2008
..negative aspiration test or without noticeable dural puncture, the injected drugs may enter the intrathecal or subdural space instead of pooling entirely in the epidural compartment...
- Traumatic clival subdural hematoma in an adult
Departments of Neurosurgery, Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Neurosurg 110:1238-41. 2009
..He was found to have a posterior fossa retroclival hematoma extending into the spinal subdural space but without any neurological deficits. He was treated conservatively, with a good outcome...
- Subdural lumbar facet joint fistula secondary to dural tear case report
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E617-20. 2010
..A case report...
- [CT and MR brain imaging following hemispherotomy]
Service d Imagerie, Fondation Ophtalmologique Rothschild, 75019 Paris, France
J Neuroradiol 36:255-64. 2009
..The aim of the study was to define the usual and pathological modifications arising in the brain following hemispherotomy for intractable epilepsy in children...
- The endothelin axis and gelatinase activity in alveolar macrophages after brain-stem death injury: a pilot study
Allison J Sutherland
Discipline of Medicine, Prince Charles Hospital, Chermside, Queensland, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:1040-7. 2007
- Fulminant subdural empyema treated with a wide decompressive craniectomy and continuous irrigation--case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Kenwakai Otemachi Hospital, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 42:414-6. 2002
..Streptococcus milleri was cultured from the pus. Continuous irrigation of the subdural space with saline containing gentamicin for 7 days resulted in prompt elimination of pus and debris...
- Subacute spinal subdural hematoma associated with intracranial subdural hematoma
Department of Radiology, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Farabi Hospital, Trabzon 61080, Turkey
J Neuroradiol 33:67-9. 2006
..CT and MRI demonstrated hematoma within the interhemispheric subdural space and at the lumbar posterior subdural space which extended from the L1 to the S2 level...
- [Physiopathology of adult onset external hydrocephalus]
Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Madrid, Espana
Rev Neurol 35:141-4. 2002
..In this paper we report on a new disorder known as adult onset external hydrocephalus...
- Outcome of antenatally diagnosed intracranial hemorrhage: case series and review of the literature
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 22:121-30. 2003
..Hemorrhages may occur either within the cerebral ventricles, subdural space or infratentorial fossa...
- Arachnoid cyst with intracystic haemorrhage and subdural haematoma: case report and literature review
Department of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:451-5. 2006
..In such cases bleeding is often confined to the subdural space, but intracystic haemorrhage has rarely been observed...
- Traumatic subdural hygromas: proposed pathogenesis based classification
Marco Antonio Zanini
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, School of Medicine of Botucatu, Sao Paulo State University, Botucatu, Brazil
J Trauma 64:705-13. 2008
Traumatic subdural hygroma (TSHy) is an accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the subdural space after head injury. It appears to be relatively common, but its onset time and natural history are not well defined...
- Acute epidural-like appearance of an encapsulated solid non-organized chronic subdural hematoma
Department of Neurosurgery, Clinico San Carlos University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 50:990-4. 2010
..Urgent craniotomy revealed an encapsulated mass filled with solid fresh clot in the subdural space. Complete evacuation of this SDH, including both its inner and outer membranes, was achieved, and the patient ..
- Myelographic artifacts
P V Scrivani
Department of Clinical Sciences, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, New York, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 30:303-14, vi. 2000
..Opacification of the subdural space is a recently described technical complication in veterinary medicine, and increasingly is being recognized as ..
- Treatment of a recurrent subdural hematoma using urokinase
M S Arginteanu
Department of Neurosurgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Neurotrauma 16:1235-9. 1999
..this 48-year-old woman experienced declining neurologic function due to the reaccumulation of blood in the subdural space. Urokinase was administered via a subdural drain...
- Cervical myelomeningocele in adulthood: case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Neurosurgery 62:E1169-71; discussion E1171. 2008
..These lesions are usually diagnosed in childhood. Here, we report a case of a cervical myelomeningocele diagnosed and treated in adulthood...
- Further characterization of traumatic subdural collections of infancy. Report of five cases
Division of Neurosurgery, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92354, USA
J Neurosurg 100:512-8. 2004
..In all five cases, the radiotracer moved rapidly from the lumbar subarachnoid space into the convexity subdural space and then into the external drainage system...
- Cysts in the rat adenohypophysis: incidence and histology
Departamento de Fisiologia y Farmacologia, Centro de Ciencias Basicas, Universidad Autonoma de Aguascalientes, Av Universidad 940, Aguascalientes, Ags CP 20100 México
Endocr Pathol 12:63-71. 2001
..The cysts varied in shape and size and were usually multilocular. Two of them were connected with the subdural space at the ventral surface of the adenohypophysis...
- Melioidosis--a case series from south India
Department of Internal Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Udupi District 576 104, Karnataka, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:S18-20. 2008
..had a varied presentation involving multiple abscesses in the soft tissues, liver, spleen, mediastinum and the subdural space. It presented as either acute fulminant sepsis or followed a chronic indolent course, mimicking tuberculosis...
- Intracranial tumoural haemorrhage--a report of 58 cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, PR China
J Clin Neurosci 9:637-9. 2002
..occurred in 23 cases, bleeding into parenchyma 18 cases, subarachnoid space 6 cases, ventricle 3 cases and subdural space 8 cases. Thirty-eight patients had emergency operations and the others had selective operations...
- Ruptured intrasellar superior hypophyseal artery aneurysm presenting with pure subdural haematoma. Case report
Department of Neurosurgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla New York, USA
Interv Neuroradiol 10:55-8. 2004
..However, haemorrhage confined only to the subdural space is rare because there are limited anatomical sites where extravasation can be purely subdural...
- Redistribution of hematoma to spinal subdural space as a mechanism for the rapid spontaneous resolution of posttraumatic intracranial acute subdural hematoma: case report
Sui To Wong
Department of Neurosurgery, Tuen Mun Hospital, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
Surg Neurol 71:99-102; discussion 102. 2009
..We report a case to demonstrate that redistribution of hematoma to the spinal subdural space is a mechanism for the rapid spontaneous resolution of posttraumatic intracranial ASDH.
- Arachnoid cyst rupture with subdural hygroma: report of three cases and literature review
Service of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Clinic Hospital of Santiago, University of Santiago de Compostela, La Choupana, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Childs Nerv Syst 18:609-13. 2002
..In a few cases, arachnoid cysts have ruptured after cranial trauma or more rarely, spontaneously, with resultant subdural haemorrhage or CSF collection...
- [Subdural block which appeared 21 days after beginning continuous epidural block]
Department of Anesthesiology, Fukuoka Teishin Hospital, Fukuoka 810 8798
Masui 59:498-500. 2010
..The symptoms and signs suggested subdural block. Migration of the epidural catheter into the subdural space may have occurred...
- [Meningoencephalic herniation into the middle ear]
Servizio O R L, Hospital Central Cruz Roja, Madrid, Spagna
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 15:305-11. 1995
..procedure consist in leaving the herniated tissue in situ so as to make a barrier between the middle ear and subdural space. The technique is indicated either in the case of large, multiple or very anteriorly located bony defects or ..
- [Clinical analysis of 31 cases of traumatic interhemispheric subdural hematomas]
Yi quan Ke
Department of Neurosurgery, Zhujiang Hospital, First Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 24:359-60. 2004
..To analyze the clinical characteristics, pathogenesis and management of traumatic interhemispheric subdural hematomas (ISH)...
- Bilateral chronic subdural hematoma contaminated with Klebsiella pneumoniae : an unusual case
Department of Neurosurgery, Kirikale University Faculty of Medicine, Kirikale, Turkey
J Korean Neurosurg Soc 45:397-400. 2009
..Suppuration within the subdural space was suspected and then the patient underwent bilateral fronto-temporo-parietal craniotomies, and pus was ..
- Contralateral acute subdural hematoma after surgical evacuation of acute subdural hematoma
Nestor D Tomycz
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, UPMC Presbyterian Suite B 461, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Trauma 68:E11-2. 2010
..Believed to be caused by rapid brain decompression, bleeding far from the operative site, such as a within the contralateral subdural space, can occur after a craniotomy and must be promptly recognized.
- [Isolated intracranial Rosai-Dorfman disease: a case report and literature review]
A B Triana-Pérez
Servicio de Neurocirugía Hospital Universitario Nuestra Señora de Candelaria Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Neurocirugia (Astur) 22:255-60. 2011
..The histological diagnosis is obtained after the surgical procedure. It is a clinicopathological entity not well known, controversy exists about its pathogenesis, clinical course and therapeutic management...
- Temporizing treatment of hyperacute subdural hemorrhage by subdural evacuation port system placement
Alexander C Flint
Department of Neurosurgery, Kaiser Permanente, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
J Neurosurg 115:844-8. 2011
..In appropriately selected cases, patients with a hyperacute SDH may benefit from SEPS placement to quickly treat elevated ICP, as a bridge to definitive surgical treatment by craniotomy...
- High-frequency cortical subdural stimulation enhanced plasticity in surgery of a tumor in Broca's area
Juan A Barcia
Service of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurosciences, San Carlos University Hospital, Complutense University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Neuroreport 23:304-9. 2012
..Our results open the possibility to induce plasticity before the resection of brain tumors near eloquent areas, in order to increase the extent of resection...
- Attempted bladder reinnervation and creation of a scratch reflex for bladder emptying through a somatic-to-autonomic intradural anastomosis
Gerald F Tuite
Pediatric Neuroscience Center, All Children s Hospital, Neuroscience Institute, 601 5th Street South, Suite 511, St Petersburg, Florida 33701, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 12:80-6. 2013
- An intradural-extramedullary gas-forming spinal abscess in a patient with diabetes mellitus
Department of Neurosurgery, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Seth G S Medical College, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Clin Neurosci 17:263-5. 2010
..To our knowledge, a gas-forming intradural spinal abscess has not been reported previously and we discuss the relevant literature...