- Origin of oligodendrocytes in the subventricular zone of the adult brain
Department of Neurosurgery and Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurosci 26:7907-18. 2006
..Our work identifies SVZ type B cells as progenitors of oligodendrocytes in normal and injured adult brain...
- Relationship of glioblastoma multiforme to neural stem cell regions predicts invasive and multifocal tumor phenotype
Daniel A Lim
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Neuro Oncol 9:424-9. 2007
..Our MRI-based classification of GBMs may further our understanding of GBM histogenesis and help predict tumor recurrence pattern...
- Ventricular enlargement as a possible measure of Alzheimer's disease progression validated using the Alzheimer's disease neuroimaging initiative database
Sean M Nestor
Department of Medical Biophysics, Centre for Functional and Metabolic Mapping, Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Brain 131:2443-54. 2008
..Ventricular enlargement represents a feasible short-term marker of disease progression in subjects with MCI and subjects with AD for multi-centre studies...
- Focal cerebral ischemia induces a multilineage cytogenic response from adult subventricular zone that is predominantly gliogenic
Department of Neurosciences, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Glia 58:1610-9. 2010
..These results indicate that nestin(+) NSPCs within the SVZ mount a multilineage response to stroke that includes a gliogenic component more predominant than previously appreciated...
- Early central atrophy rate predicts 5 year clinical outcome in multiple sclerosis
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 81:1351-6. 2010
..To examine the predictive value of central atrophy in early multiple sclerosis (MS) patients, for medium term clinical outcome...
- Increased neuronal production, enlarged forebrains and cytoarchitectural distortions in beta-catenin overexpressing transgenic mice
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611 3008, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:599-606. 2003
- Effects of acute dehydration on brain morphology in healthy humans
Matthew J Kempton
Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Hum Brain Mapp 30:291-8. 2009
- New neurons follow the flow of cerebrospinal fluid in the adult brain
Department of Neurological Surgery and Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Science 311:629-32. 2006
..Results suggest that polarized epithelial cells contribute important vectorial information for guidance of young, migrating neurons...
- Neuroblast division during migration toward the ischemic striatum: a study of dynamic migratory and proliferative characteristics of neuroblasts from the subventricular zone
Rui Lan Zhang
Neurology Department, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Neurosci 27:3157-62. 2007
- Chemokine ligand 2 (CCL2) induces migration and differentiation of subventricular zone cells after stroke
Xian Shuang Liu
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Neurosci Res 85:2120-5. 2007
..These data demonstrate that in addition to its role in cell motility, CCL2 plays an important role in neuronal differentiation...
- Numb and Numbl are required for maintenance of cadherin-based adhesion and polarity of neural progenitors
Mladen Roko Rasin
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:819-27. 2007
..Thus, by regulating RGC adhesion and polarity, Numb and Numbl are required for the tissue architecture of neurogenic niches and the cerebral cortex...
- MicroRNA-124 is a subventricular zone neuronal fate determinant
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Wallenberg Neuroscience Center and Lund Stem Cell Center, Lund University, 22184 Lund, Sweden
J Neurosci 32:8879-89. 2012
..In summary, our results demonstrate that miR-124 is a neuronal fate determinant in the subventricular zone...
- Activation of the PI3-K/Akt pathway mediates cGMP enhanced-neurogenesis in the adult progenitor cells derived from the subventricular zone
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 25:1150-8. 2005
..Furthermore, LY 294002 blocked Sildenafil-increased SVZ cell proliferation. These data suggest that Sildenafil-enhanced neurogenesis likely occurs through activation of the PI3-K/Akt/GSK-3 pathway...
- Pyramidal neurons of upper cortical layers generated by NEX-positive progenitor cells in the subventricular zone
Sheng Xi Wu
Department of Morphological Brain Science and Laboratory of Immunological Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17172-7. 2005
..Our data suggest that NEX-positive progenitors within the SVZ are committed to a glutamatergic neuronal fate and have evolved to expand the number of cortical output neurons that is characteristic for the mammalian forebrain...
- Neurogenesis and glial proliferation persist for at least one year in the subventricular zone following brain trauma in rats
Xiao Han Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurotrauma 20:623-31. 2003
..These data suggest that there is a persistent proliferation of neurons and glia in the SVZ following brain trauma that does not diminish during aging as found in non-injured animals...
- NMDA receptors activated by subventricular zone astrocytic glutamate are critical for neuroblast survival prior to entering a synaptic network
Jean Claude Platel
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8082, USA
Neuron 65:859-72. 2010
..In addition, our findings suggest an unexpected mechanism wherein SVZ astrocytes use glutamate signaling through NMDARs to control the number of adult-born neurons reaching their final destination...
- A cross-sectional and follow-up voxel-based morphometric MRI study in adolescent anorexia nervosa
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology, Institute Clinic of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Salud Mental CIBER sam, Barcelona, Spain
J Psychiatr Res 43:331-40. 2009
..In conclusion, in adolescent anorexic patients gray matter is more affected than white matter and mainly involves the posterior regions of the brain. Overall gray matter alterations are reversible after nutritional recovery...
- Crucial role for Ser133-phosphorylated form of cyclic AMP-responsive element binding protein signaling in the differentiation and survival of neural progenitors under chronic cerebral hypoperfusion
Department of Neurology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Neuroscience 162:525-36. 2009
..Our results indicated that cAMP-responsive element binding protein signaling is a key mediator of neurogenesis after prolonged hypoperfusion and provide the basis for new regenerative therapies for ischemic brain injury...
- Functional identification of neural stem cell-derived oligodendrocytes by means of calcium transients elicited by thrombin
Neuroprotection and Neurogenesis in Brain Repair Group, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Rejuvenation Res 13:27-37. 2010
..Additionally, it opens new perspectives for the search of new pro-oligodendrogenic factors to be used prior grafting...
- Periventricular hemorrhagic infarction: risk factors and neonatal outcome
Department of Neurology, Neonatal Neurology Research Group, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 02115, USA
Pediatr Neurol 35:85-92. 2006
..A growing population of survivors is apparent among infants with birth weight<750 gm. Multiple hemodynamic factors associated with periventricular hemorrhagic infarction cluster in the intrapartum and early neonatal periods...
- Oligodendrogenesis in the subventricular zone and the role of epidermal growth factor
Laboratory of Neuroscience, School of Psychology, University of Colima, Colima, Colima 28040, Mexico
Brain Res Rev 67:147-56. 2011
- Neurodevelopmental outcome in children with intraventricular hemorrhage
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Osaka, Japan
Pediatr Neurol 34:219-24. 2006
..The overall incidence of epilepsy was 39/335 (11.6%). This study has not demonstrated clear improvement of the outcome in children with intraventricular hemorrhage between the 1980s and 1990s...
- A prospective study of fetuses with isolated ventriculomegaly investigated by antenatal sonography and in utero MR imaging
P D Griffiths
Academic Unit of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:106-11. 2010
- Characterization of acute brain injuries and neurobehavioral profiles in a rabbit model of germinal matrix hemorrhage
Department of Pediatrics, New York Medical College Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY, USA
Stroke 39:3378-88. 2008
..Despite this, there is no standardized animal model of IVH depicting acute brain injuries...
- Periventricular white matter hyperintensities increase the likelihood of progression from amnestic mild cognitive impairment to dementia
Elisabeth C W van Straaten
Dept of Neurology and Alzheimer Center, VU Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol 255:1302-8. 2008
..The influence of WMH on progression of aMCI to Alzheimer's disease (AD) is less clear...
- The nuclear receptor tailless is required for neurogenesis in the adult subventricular zone
Hai Kun Liu
Division of Molecular Biology of the Cell I, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg 69120, Germany
Genes Dev 22:2473-8. 2008
..These findings demonstrate the crucial role of Tlx in the generation and maintenance of NSCs in the adult SVZ in vivo...
- Atrophic enlargement of CSF volume after subarachnoid hemorrhage: correlation with neuropsychological outcome
Department of Clinical Radiology, Kuopio University Hospital and University of Kuopio, Finland
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:370-6. 2010
..Our aim was to quantify the late ventricular dilation and volumes of the CSF spaces after aSAH and to determine if they correlate with neurologic and cognitive impairments frequently detected in these patients...
- Ventricular enlargement in multiple sclerosis: a comparison of three-dimensional and linear MRI estimates
Division of Clinical Neurology, Medical School, University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Neuroradiology 43:608-14. 2001
- Adenomatous polyposis coli is essential for both neuronal differentiation and maintenance of adult neural stem cells in subventricular zone and hippocampus
Department of Pathology and Applied Neurobiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Stem Cells 28:2053-64. 2010
..stem cells 2010;28:2053-2064...
- Prevention of external ventricular drain--related ventriculitis
A M Korinek
Neuroanaesthesia Unit, Department of Anaesthesiology, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, University of Paris VI, Paris, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:39-45; discussion 45-6. 2005
- Consequences of neural cell adhesion molecule deficiency on cell migration in the rostral migratory stream of the mouse
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université de la Santé et de la Recherche Medicale, INSERM, Paris Cedex, France
J Neurosci 20:1446-57. 2000
- External ventricular drain infection: the effect of a strict protocol on infection rates and a review of the literature
Department of Neurological Surgery, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Br J Neurosurg 20:296-300. 2006
..This study demonstrates that adherence to an evidence-based protocol for their insertion and management is associated with a significant reduction in the infection rate...
- Enlarged perivascular spaces on MRI are a feature of cerebral small vessel disease
Fergus N Doubal
MRCP, Division of Clinical Neurosciences, Bramwell Dott Building, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
Stroke 41:450-4. 2010
..They may reflect underlying cerebral small vessel disease. We determined whether enlarged perivascular spaces were associated with lacunar stroke subtype and white matter hyperintensities, markers of established small vessel disease...
- Central nervous system neuropeptide Y signaling modulates VLDL triglyceride secretion
JOHN M STAFFORD
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Diabetes 57:1482-90. 2008
- Differential activation of microglia in neurogenic versus non-neurogenic regions of the forebrain
Gwendolyn E Goings
Children s Memorial Research Center, Neurobiology Program, Children s Memorial Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glia 54:329-42. 2006
..Our data show that both constitutive and postlesion levels of microglial activation differ between neurogenic and non-neurogenic regions...
- Involvement of Notch1 signaling in neurogenesis in the subventricular zone of normal and ischemic rat brain in vivo
Buck Institute for Age Research, Novato, California, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1644-54. 2009
..Finally, ischemia-induced cell proliferation in the SVZ was blocked by inhibition of the Notch1 signaling pathway, suggesting that Notch1 signaling may have a key role in normal adult and ischemia-induced neurogenesis...
- Nitric oxide decreases subventricular zone stem cell proliferation by inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor and phosphoinositide-3-kinase/Akt pathway
Area de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cadiz, Plaza Falla 9, 11003 Cadiz, Spain
Stem Cells 25:88-97. 2007
- Proliferation in the human ipsilateral subventricular zone after ischemic stroke
Department of Neurology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Avda Sant Antoni Maria Claret, 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 74:357-65. 2010
..It is uncertain whether neurogenesis occurs in humans after stroke. We studied the morphologic changes that occurred in the subventricular zone (SVZ) in patients who died following an acute ischemic stroke...
- Cell output, cell cycle duration and neuronal specification: a model of integrated mechanisms of the neocortical proliferative process
V S Caviness
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:592-8. 2003
..The results indicate that events affecting the output of the proliferative population affect both the number of neurons produced and their specification with regard to their laminar fate...
- Stroke transiently increases subventricular zone cell division from asymmetric to symmetric and increases neuronal differentiation in the adult rat
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Neurosci 24:5810-5. 2004
..Our data suggest that neurons are produced by both asymmetric and symmetric cell divisions in the adult SVZ, and the transient increases in symmetric division and neuronal differentiation may result in stroke-induced neurogenesis...
- Neuropeptide Y promotes neurogenesis in murine subventricular zone
Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3004 504 Coimbra, Portugal
Stem Cells 26:1636-45. 2008
..NPY, as a promoter of SVZ neurogenesis, is a crucial factor for future development of cell-based brain therapy. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- The T-box transcription factor Eomes/Tbr2 regulates neurogenesis in the cortical subventricular zone
Sebastian J Arnold
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RE, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 22:2479-84. 2008
..Neurogenesis in the adult dentate gyrus but not the subependymal zone is abolished. These studies establish Tbr2 as a key regulator of neurogenesis in the SVZ...
- Neurodevelopmental outcome of extremely low birth weight infants with posthemorrhagic hydrocephalus requiring shunt insertion
Department of Pediatrics Division of Neonatology, Emory University School of Medicine, 46 Jesse Hill Jr Drive SE, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Pediatrics 121:e1167-77. 2008
..We aimed to evaluate neurodevelopmental and growth outcomes among extremely low birth weight infants who had severe intraventricular hemorrhage that required shunt insertion compared with infants without shunt insertion...
- Neurodevelopmental outcome of preterm infants with severe intraventricular hemorrhage and therapy for post-hemorrhagic ventricular dilatation
Department of Neonatology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 152:648-54. 2008
..To evaluate the neurodevelopmental outcome of preterm infants with a grade III or IV hemorrhage and to assess the effect of routine low-threshold therapy of post-hemorrhagic ventricular dilatation (PHVD) on neurodevelopmental outcome...
- A diacylglycerol lipase-CB2 cannabinoid pathway regulates adult subventricular zone neurogenesis in an age-dependent manner
Maria Beatriz Goncalves
Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, King s College, London SE1 9RT, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 38:526-36. 2008
..These data identify CB2 receptor agonists and FAAH inhibitors as agents that can counteract the naturally observed decline in adult neurogenesis that is associated with ageing...
- Cellular and behavioral effects of cranial irradiation of the subventricular zone in adult mice
Institut Pasteur, Laboratory for Perception and Memory, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7017. 2009
..Thousands of new neurons appear each day, but the function of this ongoing neurogenesis remains unclear...
- Phenotypic and functional characterization of adult brain neuropoiesis
Departments of Neuroscience and Neurosurgery, University of Florida, McKnight Brain Institute, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9353-8. 2005
- Neurogenic radial glial cells in reptile, rodent and human: from mitosis to migration
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:550-9. 2003
..Although radial glial cells have traditionally been characterized by their role in guiding migration, their role as neuronal progenitors may represent their defining characteristic throughout the vertebrate CNS...
- Distinct mammalian precursors are committed to generate neurons with defined dendritic projection patterns
Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e300. 2007
..Our results demonstrate that, at least in the neonatal and adult mammalian brain, the pattern of dendritic targeting of a given neuron is a cell-autonomous property of their precursors...
- Brain specific proteins in posthaemorrhagic ventricular dilatation
Division of Child Health, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 84:F90-1. 2001
..S-100 protein in cerebrospinal fluid was four times higher than control values. Glial fibrillary acidic protein concentrations correlated with death or disability and with parenchymal lesions but not with shunt dependence...
- Expression of Cux-1 and Cux-2 in the subventricular zone and upper layers II-IV of the cerebral cortex
Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Comp Neurol 479:168-80. 2004
..The patterns of expression of Cux genes suggest potential roles as determinants of the neuronal fate of the upper cortical layer neurons...
- Ischemic cerebral tissue response to subventricular zone cell transplantation measured by iterative self-organizing data analysis technique algorithm
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:1366-77. 2006
..Angiogenesis was present in sites either immediately adjacent to or surrounded by the grafted cells. Our data indicate that map-ISODATA accurately and dynamically characterizes the ischemic lesion and its response to cell therapy...
- Removal of polysialic acid triggers dispersion of subventricularly derived neuroblasts into surrounding CNS tissues
Laboratory of Cellular and Developmental Neuroscience, Department of Cell Biology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 30:3995-4003. 2010
..These findings suggest that the presence of NCAM without PSA plays a role in the dispersion process, possibly by inducing a new pattern of migration associated with NCAM-dependent differentiation...
- Reelin induces the detachment of postnatal subventricular zone cells and the expression of the Egr-1 through Erk1/2 activation
Developmental Neurobiology and Regeneration Laboratory, Barcelona Science Park IRB and Department of Cell Biology, University of Barcelona, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Cereb Cortex 17:294-303. 2007
- Postnatal neurogenesis and gliogenesis in the olfactory bulb from NG2-expressing progenitors of the subventricular zone
Center for Neuroscience Research, Children s Research Institute, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Neurosci 24:10530-41. 2004
..Our findings indicate region-specific differences between NG2+ progenitor cells and show that NG2+ cells can migrate throughout the RMS and contribute to both gliogenesis and neurogenesis in the postnatal OB...
- Intraventricular fibrinolysis versus external ventricular drainage alone in intraventricular hemorrhage: a meta-analysis
Department of Neurosurgery, Caen University Hospital, and Sérene Protease and Pathophysiology of the Neurovascular Unit, Centre d Imagerie et de Neurosciences Appliquées aux Pathologies, University Caen Lower Normandy, Avenue de la Cote de Nacre, Caen, F 14000, France
Stroke 42:2776-81. 2011
- Neuroendoscopic removal of intraventricular hemorrhage combined with hydrocephalus
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:345-9. 2008
..Hydrocephalus associated with intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) is a good indication for neuroendoscopic surgery. We describe herein our experiences with 17 cases of IVH combined with hydrocephalus treated using a neuroendoscope...
- Comparison of clinical outcomes of intraventricular hematoma between neuroendoscopic removal and extraventricular drainage
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 50:972-6. 2010
..The procedure resulted in faster removal of the catheter in the postoperative period and earlier patient ambulation...
- Brain ventricular volume and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease
Brian R Ott
Department of Neurology, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 20:647-57. 2010
..The basis for the apparent effect of APOE epsilon4 genotype on the relationship of ventricular volume to Abeta and tau levels is unknown, but could involve altered CSF-blood-brain barrier function during the course of disease...
- Application of neuroendoscopy in the treatment of intraventricular hemorrhage
Department of Neurosurgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, PR China
Cerebrovasc Dis 24:91-6. 2007
..The objective of this article is to compare different surgical procedures in order to evaluate a method of minimally invasive treatment for intraventricular hemorrhage...
- Delineation of multiple subpallial progenitor domains by the combinatorial expression of transcriptional codes
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas and Universidad Miguel Hernández, 03550 Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
J Neurosci 27:9682-95. 2007
..Furthermore, the results of microtransplantation experiments in vivo corroborate that anatomically defined regions of the mouse subpallium, such as the medial ganglionic eminence, can be subdivided into functionally distinct domains...
- Carmustine wafer implantation when surgical cavity is communicating with cerebral ventricles: technical considerations on a clinical series
Alessandro Della Puppa
Department of Neurosurgery, Padua University Hospital, Padova, Italy
World Neurosurg 76:156-9; discussion 67-8. 2011
..Furthermore, there are no technical suggestions in literature put forward for the surgical repairing of ventricular defects. Our study was particularly focused on addressing these 3 issues...
- [New treatment strategies for intraventricular hemorrhage]
Neurologische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054, Erlangen, Deutschland
Med Klin Intensivmed Notfmed 107:192-6. 2012
..The present article gives an overview of pathophysiological and clinical aspects of IVH, emphasizing novel treatment options...
- External ventricular drainage alone versus endoscopic surgery for severe intraventricular hemorrhage: a comparative retrospective analysis on outcome and shunt dependency
Department of Neurosurgery, Treviso Regional Hospital, University of Padova, Treviso, Italy
Neurosurg Focus 32:E4. 2012
..Neuroendoscopy may offer some advantages over more traditional surgical approaches on outcome and may decrease the number of shunt procedures that need to be performed...
- Endoscopic management of hypertensive intraventricular haemorrhage with obstructive hydrocephalus
Yad Ram Yadav
NSCB Medical College and Hospital, Jabalpur, India
BMC Neurol 7:1. 2007
..We report the results following endoscopic decompression of obstructive hydrocephalus and evacuation of haematoma in patients with hypertensive intraventricular haemorrhage...
- New reference values for the neonatal cerebral ventricles
Margaretha J Brouwer
Department of Neonatology, University Medical Center Utrecht Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, Post box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiology 262:224-33. 2012
- Management of non-traumatic intraventricular hemorrhage
Department of Neurosurgery, Caen University Hospital, Avenue de la Cote de Nacre, Caen, 14000, France
Neurosurg Rev 35:485-94; discussion 494-5. 2012
..IVH represents a therapeutic challenge for neurosurgeons, neurologists, and intensivists. Thus, a better understanding of this dramatic event will help in better tailoring the treatment strategies...
- Influence of intraventricular hemorrhage and occlusive hydrocephalus on the long-term outcome of treated patients with basal ganglia hemorrhage: a case-control study
Hagen B Huttner
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosurg 105:412-7. 2006
..The aim of this study was to compare the long-term outcome of patients with pure ganglionic hemorrhage and those requiring an EVD due to additional IVH and hydrocephalus...
- Dynamics of intraventricular hemorrhage in patients with spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: risk factors, clinical impact, and effect of hemostatic therapy with recombinant activated factor VII
Department of Neurology, Univesity of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosurgery 59:767-73; discussion 773-4. 2006
..To evaluate predictors of intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) and IVH growth, impact of IVH growth on outcome, and impact of recombinant activated factor VII (rFVIIa) in patients with intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH)...
- The angiogenic factor angiopoietin-1 is a proneurogenic peptide on subventricular zone stem/progenitor cells
Alexandra I Rosa
Neuroprotection and Neurogenesis in Brain Repair Group, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, and Institute of Biomedical Research on Light and Image, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3004 504 Coimbra, Portugal
J Neurosci 30:4573-84. 2010
..Our work shows a proneurogenic effect of Ang-1, highlighting the relevance of blood vessel/stem cell cross talk in health and disease...
- A quantitative index of intracranial cerebrospinal fluid distribution in normal pressure hydrocephalus using an MRI-based processing technique
Department of Neurosurgery, Koshigaya Municipal Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Neuroradiology 42:424-9. 2000
..In contrast, no subject in the other groups had a VV/ICV ratios higher than 30%. We conclude that these CSF volume parameters, especially the VV/ICV ratio, are useful for the diagnosis of NPH...
- Endoscopic surgery for intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) caused by thalamic hemorrhage: comparisons of endoscopic surgery and external ventricular drainage (EVD) surgery
Chun Chung Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
World Neurosurg 75:264-8. 2011
..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy and the results of endoscopic surgery for the evacuation of IVH caused by thalamic hemorrhage compared with that of external ventricular drainage (EVD) surgery...
- Animal models of germinal matrix hemorrhage
Department of Pathology, University of Manitoba and Manitoba Instititute of Child Health, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
J Child Neurol 21:365-71. 2006
..This literature review critically evaluates the animal models of germinal matrix hemorrhage. Each model has its own advantages and disadvantages; no single model is suitable for the study of all aspects of brain damage...
- Preliminary report of the clot lysis evaluating accelerated resolution of intraventricular hemorrhage (CLEAR-IVH) clinical trial
Johns Hopkins University, 1550 Orleans Street, CRB II 3M50 South, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Acta Neurochir Suppl 105:217-20. 2008
..e., approximately 80% removal over 48 h). The purpose of the CLEAR-IVH trial (Parts A and B) is to evaluate safety and efficacy of using multiple injections of low-dose rt-PA to accelerate lysis and evacuation of IVH...
- The ependyma in chronic hydrocephalus
Department of Neurosurgery, Saarland University, Homburg, Germany
Childs Nerv Syst 14:263-70. 1998
- The cortical subventricular zone-specific molecule Svet1 is part of the nuclear RNA coded by the putative netrin receptor gene Unc5d and is expressed in multipolar migrating cells
Department of Anatomy, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Mol Cell Neurosci 38:474-83. 2008
..Thus, the previously reported "SVZ-specific expression of the Svet1 RNA" in fact indicates putative involvement of UNC5D signaling in the multipolar migrating cells...
- High-frequency ultrasound in the evaluation of cerebral intraventricular haemorrhage in preterm rabbit pups
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Clinical Sciences Lund, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Ultrasound Med Biol 38:423-31. 2012
..Application of HFU is a powerful tool for the evaluation of mechanisms involved in cerebral IVH and PHVD in the preterm rabbit pup model...
- Reducing the incidence of intraventricular catheter-related ventriculitis in the neurology-neurosurgical intensive care unit at a tertiary care center in St Louis, Missouri: an 8-year follow-up study
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:1078-81. 2010
..The incidence density of intraventricular catheter-related ventriculitis decreased substantially after the implementation of standardized management of intraventricular catheters...
- Intraventricular haemorrhage and posthaemorrhagic hydrocephalus: pathogenesis, prevention and future interventions
Division of Child Health, University of Bristol Medical School, Southmead Hospital, Bristol BS9 1PJ, UK
Semin Neonatol 6:135-46. 2001
..New treatment approaches aimed at preventing hydrocephalus are needed...
- Computational model of the cerebral ventricles in hydrocephalus
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Biomech Eng 132:054501. 2010
..This may not be adequate as the geometry of the cerebral ventricles is unique...
- Dysfunction of axonemal dynein heavy chain Mdnah5 inhibits ependymal flow and reveals a novel mechanism for hydrocephalus formation
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:2133-41. 2004
..The higher incidence of aqueduct stenosis and hydrocephalus formation in patients with ciliary defects proves the relevance of this novel mechanism in humans...
- Mutations in filamin 1 prevent migration of cerebral cortical neurons in human periventricular heterotopia
J W Fox
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Neuron 21:1315-25. 1998
..FLN1 shows previously unrecognized, high-level expression in the developing cortex, is required for neuronal migration to the cortex, and is essential for embryogenesis...
- Deletion including the oligophrenin-1 gene associated with enlarged cerebral ventricles, cerebellar hypoplasia, seizures and ataxia
Department of Genetics and Pathology, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Eur J Hum Genet 7:541-8. 1999
..Cranial MRI scans show enlargement of the cerebral ventricles and cerebellar hypoplasia...
- The relationship between intracranial pressure and size of cerebral ventricles assessed by computed tomography
P K Eide
Department of Neurosurgery, The National Hospital, University of Oslo, Sognvannsveien 20, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 145:171-9; discussion 179. 2003
..This study explored whether assessment of the cerebral ventricular size (or changes in size) by cranial computed tomography (CT) is a reliable way to predict the intracranial pressure (ICP)...
- Serum procalcitonin monitoring for differential diagnosis of ventriculitis in adult intensive care patients
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Intensive Care Med 28:208-10. 2002
..The value of PCT as an additional marker with which to assess the efficacy of therapy in ventriculitis is suggested, but requires further assessment...
- Cell index--a new parameter for the early diagnosis of ventriculostomy (external ventricular drainage)-related ventriculitis in patients with intraventricular hemorrhage?
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146:477-81. 2004
..The aim of this prospective study was to validate a new parameter for the early detection of an intraventricular infection...
- Effect of repetitive icv injections of ANG II on c-Fos and AT(1)-receptor expression in the rat brain
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Kiel, Hospitalstrasse 4, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R1095-104. 2001
- The Notch pathway mediates expansion of a progenitor pool and neuronal differentiation in adult neural progenitor cells after stroke
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Neuroscience 158:1356-63. 2009
..These data suggest that the Notch signaling pathway mediates adult SVZ neural progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation after stroke...
- Subventricular zone neuroblasts emigrate toward cortical lesions
Nikki L Sundholm-Peters
CMRC Neurobiology Program, Children s Memorial Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60614 3394, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:1089-100. 2005
- Cortical neurogenesis enhanced by chronic perinatal hypoxia
Devon M Fagel
Child Study Center, Yale University Medical School, 230 South Frontage Road, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Exp Neurol 199:77-91. 2006
..We suggest that cortical neurogenesis may play a significant role in repairing neuronal losses after neonatal injury...
- Intracerebroventricular neuropeptide Y infusion precludes inhibition of glucose and VLDL production by insulin
Anita M van den Hoek
Organization of Applied Scientific Research Prevention and Health, Gaubius Laboratory, Leiden, The Netherlands
Diabetes 53:2529-34. 2004
- Neuronal progenitor cells derived from the anterior subventricular zone of the neonatal rat forebrain continue to proliferate in vitro and express a neuronal phenotype
M B Luskin
Department of Anatomy, Emory University School of Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, 2300 Eye St, N W, Atlanta, Georgia, 30322, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 8:351-66. 1997
..Thus, the neuronal progenitor cells of the SVZa constitute a unique cell population with characteristics distinct from the cells of other germinal zones...
- The cellular composition and morphological organization of the rostral migratory stream in the adult human brain
Department of Anatomy with Radiology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
J Chem Neuroanat 37:196-205. 2009
..These findings contribute to the scientific understanding of adult neurogenesis and establish the detailed cytoarchitecture of this novel neurogenic niche in the human brain...
- Randomized clinical trial of prevention of hydrocephalus after intraventricular hemorrhage in preterm infants: brain-washing versus tapping fluid
Department of Clinical Science at North Bristol, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 119:e1071-8. 2007
..The aim of this study was to test a new treatment intended to prevent hydrocephalus and shunt dependence after intraventricular hemorrhage...
- Serum procalcitonin in cerebral ventriculitis
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Crit Care Med 30:1778-81. 2002
..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that serum procalcitonin is increased in patients with bacterial cerebral ventricular infections after the insertion of temporary external ventricular drains...
- Loss of p53 induces changes in the behavior of subventricular zone cells: implication for the genesis of glial tumors
Department Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Neurosci 26:1107-16. 2006
..Together, these findings provide a cellular mechanism for how the slow-proliferating SVZ cells can give rise to glial tumors in the adult brain...
- Regional specificity of cerebrospinal fluid abnormalities in first episode schizophrenia
Katherine L Narr
Laboratory of Neuroimaging, Division of Brain Mapping, UCLA School of Medicine, 710 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1769, USA
Psychiatry Res 146:21-33. 2006
..In contrast, sulcal and subarachnoid CSF increases may be manifest near or before the first episode but after brain development is complete, reflecting pronounced reductions in proximal brain tissue...
- Chronic hypoxia up-regulates fibroblast growth factor ligands in the perinatal brain and induces fibroblast growth factor-responsive radial glial cells in the sub-ependymal zone
Child Study Center, Yale University, 230 South Frontage Road, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Neuroscience 112:977-91. 2002
- Roles of the mammalian subventricular zone in cell replacement after brain injury
Michael J Romanko
Department of Neural and Behavioral Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Prog Neurobiol 74:77-99. 2004
..By reviewing, comparing and contrasting the responses of the SVZs to different injuries, our goal is to provide a foundation from which current and future studies on the potential of the SVZs for cell replacement can be evaluated...
- Ventricular enlargement in schizophrenia related to volume reduction of the thalamus, striatum, and superior temporal cortex
Department of Psychiatry, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany
Am J Psychiatry 161:154-6. 2004
..The authors investigated whether ventricular enlargement is related to regionally specific volume loss...
- Non-protein-bound iron is elevated in cerebrospinal fluid from preterm infants with posthemorrhagic ventricular dilatation
Department of Pediatrics, , The Queen Silvia Children's Hospital, , Sweden
Pediatr Res 49:208-12. 2001
..NPBI was increased in CSF from preterm infants with PHVD, and the increase could not be explained by hemolysis alone. Free iron may help to explain the association between intraventricular hemorrhage and white matter damage...