- Target selection and the superior colliculus: goals, choices and hypotheses
Richard J Krauzlis
Systems Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Vision Res 44:1445-51. 2004
The intermediate and deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC) compose a retinotopically organized motor map and are known to be important for the control of saccadic eye movements...
- Nociceptive responses of midbrain dopaminergic neurones are modulated by the superior colliculus in the rat
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, UK
Neuroscience 139:1479-93. 2006
..In the rat, the superior colliculus is critical for relaying short-latency visual information to dopaminergic neurones...
- Superior sensation: superior colliculus participation in rat vibrissa system
Marie E Hemelt
Program in Neuroscience, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Neurosci 8:12. 2007
The superior colliculus, usually considered a visuomotor structure, is anatomically positioned to perform sensorimotor transformations in other modalities...
- Dual diffusion model for single-cell recording data from the superior colliculus in a brightness-discrimination task
Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Neurophysiol 97:1756-74. 2007
..Thus the dual diffusion model provides a quantitative account for both the behavior in a simple decision-making task as well as the patterns of activity in competing populations of neurons...
- The growth factor response in ischemic rat retina and superior colliculus after brimonidine pre-treatment
Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Brain Res Bull 71:208-18. 2006
..Tissue samples of retina and superior colliculus were collected at time points between 6h and 14 days of retinal reperfusion...
- Organization of the intermediate gray layer of the superior colliculus. I. Intrinsic vertical connections
Matthew C Helms
Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurophysiol 91:1706-15. 2004
A pathway from the superficial visual layers to the intermediate premotor layers of the superior colliculus has been proposed to mediate visually guided orienting movements...
- Population coding strategies and involvement of the superior colliculus in the tactile orienting behavior of naked mole-rats
S D Crish
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience, and Department of Biological Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607, USA
Neuroscience 139:1461-6. 2006
..In this study we demonstrate that the superior colliculus, a component of the vertebrate midbrain most often thought of as a visual structure, is an essential ..
- Role of the superior colliculus and the intercollicular nucleus in the brainstem seizure circuitry of the genetically epilepsy-prone rat
Michelle A Merrill
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
Epilepsia 44:305-14. 2003
..believed to include the inferior colliculus and other brainstem structures such as the deep layers of the superior colliculus (DLSC), periaqueductal gray, and pontine reticular formation...
- The impact of a corticotectal impulse on the awake superior colliculus
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA
J Neurosci 26:2250-9. 2006
..visual cortex, but virtually nothing is known about the synaptic influence of single CTect impulses on the superior colliculus (SC)...
- Development of GABAergic neurons from the ventricular zone in the superior colliculus of the mouse
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute for Physiological Sciences and Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Neurosci Res 51:243-51. 2005
The superior colliculus (SC) is a layered structure in the midbrain and is particularly rich in gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)...
- Functional topography of converging visual and auditory inputs to neurons in the rat superior colliculus
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Neurophysiol 92:2933-46. 2004
..the infant rat midbrain to examine converging inputs onto neurons in the deeper multisensory layers of the superior colliculus (dSC)...
- Deficits in saccade target selection after inactivation of superior colliculus
Robert M McPeek
The Smith Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, 2318 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Nat Neurosci 7:757-63. 2004
..correlated with saccade target selection has been identified in several brain regions, including the superior colliculus (SC), but it is not known whether the SC is directly involved in target selection, or whether the SC merely ..
- Postsynaptic action of BDNF on GABAergic synaptic transmission in the superficial layers of the mouse superior colliculus
Developmental Physiology, Johannes Muller Institute of Physiology, Charite, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Neurophysiol 88:595-603. 2002
..driven spontaneous network activity and GABAergic inhibition in the superficial layers of the mouse superior colliculus. In this structure neuron survival is unaffected by the absence of BDNF...
- Megane/Heslike is required for normal GABAergic differentiation in the mouse superior colliculus
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Developmental Genetics, 35 8006, Ingolstädter Landstrasse, 1, Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:3847-57. 2006
..and the fifth postnatal week of age, and show a complete depletion of Gad65 and Gad67 expression in the superior colliculus and a reduction in the inferior colliculus...
- Synaptic organization of the rat parafascicular nucleus, with special reference to its afferents from the superior colliculus and the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus
Section of Neuroanatomy, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Research, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Brain Res 980:80-91. 2003
..axon terminals, biotinylated dextran amine (BDA) was injected into the main afferent sources of the Pf, the superior colliculus (SC) and the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus (PPN)...
- Local excitatory network and NMDA receptor activation generate a synchronous and bursting command from the superior colliculus
Department of Integrative Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
J Neurosci 23:5854-64. 2003
The generation of bursting spike activity in the deeper layers of the superior colliculus (SC) is a critical determinant of decision making in the initiation of orienting behaviors, such as saccades...
- Lack of 5-HT(1B) receptor and of serotonin transporter have different effects on the segregation of retinal axons in the lateral geniculate nucleus compared to the superior colliculus
A L Upton
INSERM U106, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Neuroscience 111:597-610. 2002
..retinal ganglion cell axons from segregating into eye-specific regions in their principal targets: the superior colliculus and the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus...
- Development of the human superior colliculus and the retinocollicular projection
School of Ophthalmology and Optometry, Wenzhou Medical College, 82 Xueyuan Road, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325003, China
Exp Eye Res 82:300-10. 2006
We have used carbocyanine dye tracing from the brachium of the superior colliculus in conjunction with Nissl staining and immunohistochemistry to GAP-43 and calretinin to study the development of retinal projections to the superior ..
- Suppression of absence seizures by electrical and pharmacological activation of the caudal superior colliculus in a genetic model of absence epilepsy in the rat
Neurobiologie et Neuropharmacologie des Epilepsies Généralisées, INSERM U 398, Faculte de Medecine, Strasbourg, France
Exp Neurol 177:503-14. 2002
Activation of the superior colliculus has been shown to reproduce the antiepileptic effect of the inhibition of the substantia nigra reticulata...
- Chemoarchitecture of GABAergic neurons in the ferret superior colliculus
Department of Comparative Biosciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1102, USA
J Comp Neurol 452:334-59. 2002
..both in visual processing and in the complex sensory-motor transformations that take place in the mammalian superior colliculus. To understand the organization of GABAergic neurons in the ferret superior colliculus, we applied antisera ..
- Reduced influence of the ipsilateral ear on spatial tuning of auditory neurons in the albino superior colliculus: a knock-on effect of anomalies of the acoustic chiasm?
Division of Neurophysiology, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, NW7 1AA, London, UK
Exp Brain Res 151:478-88. 2003
..and normally pigmented guinea pigs to the spatial tuning of auditory neurons in the deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC)...
- Neck muscle responses to stimulation of monkey superior colliculus. I. Topography and manipulation of stimulation parameters
Brian D Corneil
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Sensory Motor Systems, Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Department of Physiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
J Neurophysiol 88:1980-99. 2002
The role of the primate superior colliculus (SC) in orienting head movements was studied by recording electromyographic (EMG) activity from multiple neck muscles following electrical stimulation of the SC...
- Postnatal innervation of the rat superior colliculus by axons of late-born retinal ganglion cells
Elizabeth J Dallimore
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Eur J Neurosci 16:1295-304. 2002
..Retinal axons first reach the superior colliculus at E16/16.5 but the time of arrival of axons from late-born RGCs is unknown...
- Orienting responses and vocalizations produced by microstimulation in the superior colliculus of the echolocating bat, Eptesicus fuscus
Doreen E Valentine
Harvard University, Department of Psychology, Program in Neuroscience, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 188:89-108. 2002
..The superior colliculus may function in the coordination of these orienting components of the bat's echolocation system...
- Evidence that the superior colliculus participates in the feedback control of saccadic eye movements
Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Neurophysiol 87:679-95. 2002
..Although the superior colliculus (SC) is thought to provide the desired saccadic amplitude signal, it is unclear whether the SC resides in ..
- Evidence for a role of the parafascicular nucleus of the thalamus in the control of epileptic seizures by the superior colliculus
Neurobiologie et Neuropharmacologie des Epilepsies Généralisées, INSERM U 398, France
Epilepsia 46:141-5. 2005
..nucleus parafascicularis (Pf) of the thalamus could be a relay of the control of epileptic seizures by the superior colliculus (SC)...
- Laminar expression of neurofilament protein in the superior colliculus of the marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus)
James A Bourne
Department of Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, P O Box 13F, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Brain Res 973:142-5. 2003
The expression profile of the monoclonal antibody SMI-32 was examined in the superior colliculus of adult marmosets...
- Electrophysiological and morphological properties of identified crossed tecto-reticular neurons in the rat superior colliculus
Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Neurosci Res 52:174-84. 2005
Previously we classified randomly sampled neurons in the intermediate layer (SI) of the rat superior colliculus (SC) into six subclasses according to their firing responses to depolarizing current pulses and five subclasses based on ..
- Neuroanatomical approaches of the tectum-reticular pathways and immunohistochemical evidence for serotonin-positive perikarya on neuronal substrates of the superior colliculus and periaqueductal gray matter involved in the elaboration of the defensive beh
N C Coimbra
Laboratório de Neuroanatomia e Neuropsicobiologia, Departamento de Morfologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto da Universidade de São Paulo FMRP USP, Ribeirao Preto SP, Avenida dos Bandeirantes, 3900, 14049 900, Brazil
Exp Neurol 197:93-112. 2006
Deep layers of the superior colliculus, the dorsal periaqueductal gray matter and the inferior colliculus are midbrain structures involved in the generation of defensive behavior and fear-induced anti-nociception...
- Functional connectivity between the superficial and deeper layers of the superior colliculus: an anatomical substrate for sensorimotor integration
Timothy P Doubell
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 23:6596-607. 2003
The superior colliculus (SC) transforms both visual and nonvisual sensory signals into motor commands that control orienting behavior...
- Evidence against a moving hill in the superior colliculus during saccadic eye movements in the monkey
Department of Bioengineering and Physiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurophysiol 87:2778-89. 2002
..and directions are represented in an orderly topographic map across the intermediate and deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC), where large saccades are encoded caudally and small saccades rostrally...
- Synergistic effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and chondroitinase ABC on retinal fiber sprouting after denervation of the superior colliculus in adult rats
Istituto di Neuroscienze del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, and Scuola Normale Superiore, 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 23:7034-44. 2003
..we characterize treatments that promote the sprouting of undamaged retinal afferents into the denervated superior colliculus (SC) after a partial retinal lesion in the adult rat...
- Modulation of GABAergic inhibition in the rat superior colliculus by a presynaptic group II metabotropic glutamate receptor
S A Neale
Department of Visual Science, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
J Physiol 577:659-69. 2006
Previous work has indicated that metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluRs) modulate visual responses of superior colliculus (SC) neurones in vivo in a variety of ways, in a manner that can be dependent upon visual stimulus properties...
- A direct projection from superior colliculus to substantia nigra for detecting salient visual events
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TP, UK
Nat Neurosci 6:974-80. 2003
..Here we describe, in the rat, a direct projection from a primary visual structure, the midbrain superior colliculus (SC), to the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNc) where direct synaptic contacts are made with both ..
- Efferent connections of the parabigeminal nucleus to the amygdala and the superior colliculus in the rat: a double-labeling fluorescent retrograde tracing study
Kamen G Usunoff
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Faculty of Medicine, Medical University, Sofia 1431, Bulgaria
Brain Res 1133:87-91. 2007
The parabigeminal nucleus (Pbg) is a subcortical visual center that besides reciprocal connections with the superior colliculus (SC), also projects to the amygdala (Am)...
- Organization of interlaminar interactions in the rat superior colliculus
Department of Integrative Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
J Neurophysiol 93:2898-907. 2005
Our previous studies have shown that when slices of the rat superior colliculus (SC) are exposed to a solution containing 10 microM bicuculline and a low concentration of Mg2+ (0...
- Contribution of the primate superior colliculus to inhibition of return
Michael C Dorris
Queen s University, Ontario, Canada
J Cogn Neurosci 14:1256-63. 2002
..delineated, and based on indirect but converging evidence, the widely held consensus is that the midbrain superior colliculus (SC) is involved in the generation of IOR...
- Covariant maturation of nocifensive oral behaviour and c-fos expression in rat superior colliculus
J G McHaffie
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield S10 2TP, UK
Neuroscience 109:597-607. 2002
..Previous work has shown this response is dependent on the integrity of the midbrain superior colliculus. The present experiments were initiated to examine the ontogeny of this oral nocifensive reaction and to ..
- Characterisation of rat superficial superior colliculus neurones: firing properties and sensitivity to GABA
M D Edwards
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, Scotland, UK
Neuroscience 110:93-104. 2002
Physiological, pharmacological and morphological properties of superficial superior colliculus neurones (n=93) were characterised using whole-cell patch-clamp recordings in rat brain slices...
- Bilateral impact of unilateral visual cortex lesions on the superior colliculus
R Jarrett Rushmore
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, W 702, Boston University School of Medicine, 700 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Exp Brain Res 151:542-7. 2003
We examined the functional impact of a long-standing, unilateral primary visual cortex lesion on the superior colliculus (SC) using radiolabeled 2-deoxyglucose (2DG) as a marker of neural activity...
- Somatosensation in the superior colliculus of the star-nosed mole
Samuel D Crish
Laboratory of Integrative Neuroscience, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
J Comp Neurol 464:415-25. 2003
The superior colliculus (or optic tectum in nonmammals) plays a critical role in the visual system and is essential for integrating sensory inputs to guide eye and head movements...
- Visual experience is necessary for maintenance but not development of receptive fields in superior colliculus
M M Carrasco
Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Department of Biology, Georgia State University, 24 Peachtree Center Ave, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
J Neurophysiol 94:1962-70. 2005
..We reported previously that N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor blockade in the superior colliculus of the Syrian hamster prevents refinement of receptive fields (RFs) in normal or compressed retinotopic ..
- Direct evidence for the contribution of the superior colliculus in the control of visually guided reaching movements in the cat
Jean Hubert Courjon
Espace et Action, Unité 534, INSERM Université Claude Bernard Lyon, IFR19 Institut Fédératif des Neurosciences de Lyon, Bron, France
J Physiol 556:675-81. 2004
..Based on indirect experimental evidence, it has been suggested that the superior colliculus, a subcortical centre known for its key role in controlling rapid orienting gaze shifts, also belongs to ..
- Accommodation and convergence palsy caused by lesions in the bilateral rostral superior colliculus
Department of Ophthalmology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Hokkaido, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 133:425-7. 2002
To report a patient who developed accommodation and convergence palsy caused by lesions in the bilateral rostral superior colliculus.
- Single trial-based prediction of a go/no-go decision in monkey superior colliculus
Ryohei P Hasegawa
Neuroscience Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Neural Netw 19:1223-32. 2006
..We performed binary regressions on the activity of single neurons in the superior colliculus (SC), with the go/no-go decision as a predictor variable, and constructed a virtual decision function (VDF) ..
- Anesthetics change the excitation/inhibition balance that governs sensory processing in the cat superior colliculus
Luis C Populin
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience Training Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Neurosci 25:5903-14. 2005
The superior colliculus (SC) is a midbrain structure that plays a central role in the integration of information from different sensory modalities and the generation of orienting responses...
- EphB forward signaling controls directional branch extension and arborization required for dorsal-ventral retinotopic mapping
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, 92037, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuron 35:475-87. 2002
..required for mapping the dorsal-ventral (D-V) retinal axis along the lateral-medial (L-M) axis of the superior colliculus (SC)...
- Neuroanatomical and psychopharmacological evidence for interaction between opioid and GABAergic neural pathways in the modulation of fear and defense elicited by electrical and chemical stimulation of the deep layers of the superior colliculus and dorsal
G C D Eichenberger
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Departamento de Farmacologia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Lab de Neuroanatomia e Neuropsicobiologia, Avenida dos Bandeirantes 3900, 14049 900, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Neuropharmacology 42:48-59. 2002
..of aversive behavioral responses induced by microinjections of bicuculline in the deep layers of the superior colliculus (DLSC) and in dorsal aspects of the periaqueductal gray matter (DPAG), as compared with controls...
- EEG wavelet analyses of the striatum-substantia nigra pars reticulata-superior colliculus circuitry: audiogenic seizures and anticonvulsant drug administration in Wistar audiogenic rats (War strain)
Physiology Department, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Epilepsy Res 72:192-208. 2006
..However, the striato-nigro-tectal circuitry in WARs, a genetically developed strain, seems to have different functional mechanisms when compared with normal rats...
- Neural mechanisms of stimulus velocity tuning in the superior colliculus
Khaleel A Razak
Department of Biology, Georgia State University, 24 Peachtree Center Ave, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
J Neurophysiol 94:3573-89. 2005
b>Superior colliculus (SC)-mediated control of visuomotor behavior depends on neuronal selectivity for stimulus velocity. However, the mechanism responsible for velocity tuning in SC neurons is unclear...
- Amplitude and direction of saccadic eye movements depend on the synchronicity of collicular population activity
Max Planck Institut fur medizinische Forschung, Jahnstr 29, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurophysiol 92:424-32. 2004
..whether the motion vectors of saccadic eye movements evoked by electrical multisite stimulation of the cat superior colliculus (SC) are influenced by varying the degree of synchrony between the stimulus trains...
- Long-term potentiation in the juvenile superior colliculus requires simultaneous activation of NMDA receptors and L-type Ca2+ channels and reflects addition of newly functional synapses
Jian Ping Zhao
The McGovern Institute for Brain Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Neurosci 26:12647-55. 2006
The visual layers of the rodent superficial superior colliculus (sSC) have been the focus of many development studies of the molecular bases of retinotopic map formation, the role of early retinal waves in this process, and the ..
- Decreased metabolic response to visual stimulation in the superior colliculus of mice lacking the glial glutamate transporter GLT-1
Anne Sophie Herard
CEA CNRS URA 2210, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, 4, place du General Leclerc, 91401 Orsay Cedex, France
Eur J Neurosci 22:1807-11. 2005
..e. enhancement of glucose uptake) is decreased in the superior colliculus during visual stimulation in young adult mice deficient in the glial glutamate transporter GLT-1...
- Neurofilament proteins are preferentially expressed in descending output neurons of the cat the superior colliculus: a study using SMI-32
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1010, USA
Neuroscience 138:55-68. 2006
..e. intermediate and deep) laminae of the cat superior colliculus receive converging information from widespread regions of the neuraxis, integrate this information, and ..
- Effects of local nicotinic activation of the superior colliculus on saccades in monkeys
Department of Integrative Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi 444 8585, Japan
J Neurophysiol 93:519-34. 2005
To examine the role of competitive and cooperative neural interactions within the intermediate layer of superior colliculus (SC), we elevated the basal SC neuronal activity by locally injecting a cholinergic agonist nicotine and analyzed ..
- Light-dependent retinal innervation of the rat superior colliculus
J Roxanne Prichard
Behavioral Neuroscience Program, University of St Thomas, St Paul, Minnesota 55105, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290:341-8. 2007
..with a reduction in the distribution of retinal fibers in the stratum opticum of the contralateral superior colliculus. In contrast to the plasticity of the retinocollicular projection, retinal input to sleep, circadian, and ..
- Saccade-related activity in the primate superior colliculus depends on the presence of local landmarks at the saccade endpoint
Jay A Edelman
Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research, National Eye Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:1728-36. 2003
Saccade-related discharge in the superior colliculus is greater for saccades made to a spot of light than for saccades in complete darkness...
- A comparison of macaque behavior and superior colliculus neuronal activity to predictions from models of two-choice decisions
Departments of Psychology and Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:1392-407. 2003
..In the experiment presented here, neural recordings were obtained from superior colliculus prelude/buildup cells in two monkeys while they performed a two-choice task that has been used in humans ..
- Dynamic ensemble coding of saccades in the monkey superior colliculus
H H L M Goossens
Department of Medical Physics and Biophysics, Institute for Neuroscience, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Neurophysiol 95:2326-41. 2006
The deeper layers of the midbrain superior colliculus (SC) contain a topographic motor map in which a localized population of cells is recruited for each saccade, but how the brain stem decodes the dynamic SC output is unclear...
- Reward-dependent gain and bias of visual responses in primate superior colliculus
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Juntendo University, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Neuron 39:693-700. 2003
- Altered map of visual space in the superior colliculus of mice lacking early retinal waves
Thomas D Mrsic-Flogel
Max Planck Institut fur Neurobiologie, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Neurosci 25:6921-8. 2005
..We used optical imaging of intrinsic signals to visualize the complete retinotopic map in the superior colliculus (SC) of mice lacking early retinal waves, caused by the deletion of the beta2 subunit of the nicotinic ..
- Opposing gradients of ephrin-As and EphA7 in the superior colliculus are essential for topographic mapping in the mammalian visual system
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, New Hunt s House, Guy s Hospital Campus, London SE1 1UL, United Kingdom
Neuron 47:57-69. 2005
..projection in mouse, retinal axons initially overshoot their future termination zones (TZs) in the superior colliculus (SC). The formation of TZs is initiated by interstitial branching at topographically appropriate positions...
- Controlled movement processing: superior colliculus activity associated with countermanded saccades
Department of Physiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
J Neurosci 23:6480-9. 2003
We investigated whether the monkey superior colliculus (SC), an important midbrain structure for the regulation of saccadic eye movements, contains neurons with activity patterns sufficient to control both the cancellation and the ..
- Distribution across cortical areas of neurons projecting to the superior colliculus in new world monkeys
Christine E Collins
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 285:619-27. 2005
..little is known about the proportions of projections of different areas and regions of neocortex to the superior colliculus in primates...
- Engagement of visual fixation suppresses sensory responsiveness and multisensory integration in the primate superior colliculus
A H Bell
Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Department of Physiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3 N6
Eur J Neurosci 18:2867-73. 2003
Neurons in the intermediate and deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC) often exhibit sensory-related activity in addition to discharging for saccadic eye movements...
- Functional circuits mediating sensorimotor integration: quantitative comparisons of projections from rodent barrel cortex to primary motor cortex, neostriatum, superior colliculus, and the pons
Zachary S Hoffer
Department of Neural and Behavioral Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, 17033 2255, USA
J Comp Neurol 488:82-100. 2005
..density and spatial extent of the labeled projections to the primary motor (MI) cortex, neostriatum, superior colliculus, and basal pons...
- Microstimulation of the superior colliculus focuses attention without moving the eyes
JAMES R MULLER
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, and Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:524-9. 2005
The superior colliculus (SC) is part of a network of brain areas that directs saccadic eye movements, overtly shifting both gaze and attention from position to position, in space...
- Phasic activation of substantia nigra and the ventral tegmental area by chemical stimulation of the superior colliculus: an electrophysiological investigation in the rat
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TP, UK
Eur J Neurosci 17:28-40. 2003
..of short-latency visual input to midbrain dopaminergic (DA) neurons is not currently known; however, the superior colliculus (SC) is a subcortical visual structure which has response latencies consistently shorter than those ..
- Representation of an abstract perceptual decision in macaque superior colliculus
Gregory D Horwitz
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Neurophysiol 91:2281-96. 2004
We recorded from neurons in the intermediate and deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC) while monkeys performed a novel direction discrimination task...
- Competitive integration of visual and preparatory signals in the superior colliculus during saccadic programming
Michael C Dorris
Department of Physiology, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Sensory Motor Systems, Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L3N6
J Neurosci 27:5053-62. 2007
..Motor preparation and visual signals converge in the intermediate and deep layers of the superior colliculus (SC) to influence saccade planning and execution; however, the mechanism by which these sometimes ..
- Effects of eye position upon activity of neurons in macaque superior colliculus
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, 2153 N Campus Dr, Evanston, IL 60208 3520, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:505-26. 2006
We examined the activity of neurons in the deep layers of the superior colliculus of awake behaving rhesus monkeys during the performance of standard oculomotor tasks as well as during self-guided eye movements made while viewing natural ..
- Neonatal cortical ablation disrupts multisensory development in superior colliculus
Dept of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest Univ School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1010, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:1380-96. 2006
The ability of cat superior colliculus (SC) neurons to synthesize information from different senses depends on influences from two areas of the cortex: the anterior ectosylvian sulcus (AES) and the rostral lateral suprasylvian sulcus (..
- Spatio-temporal receptive field properties of cells in the rat superior colliculus
Centre de Recherche en Neuropsychologie et Cognition, Departement de Psychologie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
Brain Res 1142:80-91. 2007
..research, the spatio-temporal receptive field properties of neurons in superficial layers of the superior colliculus are relatively unknown. Extracellular recordings were carried out in anesthetized Long Evans rats...
- Superior colliculus activity related to concurrent processing of saccade goals in a visual search task
Robert M McPeek
The Smith Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
J Neurophysiol 87:1805-15. 2002
..We recorded single neurons in the superior colliculus (SC) during rapid saccade sequences made by rhesus monkeys performing a search task...
- Manipulating intent: evidence for a causal role of the superior colliculus in target selection
Christopher D Carello
Systems Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Neuron 43:575-83. 2004
The superior colliculus (SC) is well known for its role in the motor control of saccades...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes involved in facilitation of GABAergic inhibition in mouse superficial superior colliculus
Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Japan
J Neurophysiol 94:3893-902. 2005
The superficial superior colliculus (sSC) is a key station in the sensory processing related to visual salience...
- Bimodal interactions in the superior colliculus of the behaving cat
Luis C Populin
Department of Anatomy, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Neurosci 22:2826-34. 2002
..responses from two sensory modalities, has been demonstrated in the intermediate layers of the superior colliculus (SCi) and is thought to be a manifestation of a neural mechanism underlying behavioral facilitation to such ..
- Eph/ephrin expression in the adult rat visual system following localized retinal lesions: localized and transneuronal up-regulation in the retina and superior colliculus
School of Animal Biology Zoology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, Western Australia
Eur J Neurosci 22:1840-52. 2005
..section in adult PVG hooded rat, the axon guidance cue ephrin-A2 is up-regulated in caudal but not rostral superior colliculus (SC) and the EphA5 receptor is down-regulated in axotomised retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Time-matched pre- and postsynaptic changes of GABAergic synaptic transmission in the developing mouse superior colliculus
Developmental Physiology, Johannes Muller Institute of Physiology, Humboldt University Medical School Charité, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Physiol 563:795-807. 2005
..We addressed this question by analysing evoked IPSCs (eIPSCs) in mouse superior colliculus slices between postnatal day (P) 1 and 22...
- Superior colliculus lesions preferentially disrupt multisensory orientation
L R Burnett
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neuroscience 124:535-47. 2004
The general involvement of the superior colliculus (SC) in orientation behavior and the striking parallels between the multisensory responses of SC neurons and overt orientation behaviors have led to assumptions that these neural and ..
- Commissural excitation and inhibition by the superior colliculus in tectoreticular neurons projecting to omnipause neuron and inhibitory burst neuron regions
Department of Systems Neurophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Neurophysiol 94:1707-26. 2005
..of tectoreticular neurons (TRNs) in the "fixation " and "saccade " zones of the superior colliculus (SC)...
- Projections from the superior colliculus to the trigeminal system and facial nucleus in the rat
Laboratoire de Neuroanatomie Fonctionnelle des Systèmes Sensorimoteurs, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, France
J Comp Neurol 478:233-47. 2004
To determine the influence of the superior colliculus (SC) in orienting behaviors, we examined SC projections to the sensory trigeminal complex, the juxtatrigeminal region, and the facial motor nucleus in rats...
- Cellular dispersion patterns and phenotypes in the developing mouse superior colliculus
Seong Seng Tan
Brain Development Group, Howard Florey Institute, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Dev Biol 241:117-31. 2002
The mammalian superior colliculus is structurally and functionally divided into two entities: superficial visual and deep multimodal motor...
- Visual FMRI responses in human superior colliculus show a temporal-nasal asymmetry that is absent in lateral geniculate and visual cortex
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, University College London, 17 Queen Square, London WC1N 3AR, UK
J Neurophysiol 97:1495-502. 2007
..been tentatively proposed to reflect possible temporal-nasal differences in the retinotectal pathway to the superior colliculus, rather than in the retinogeniculate pathway or visual cortex...
- Neuronal activity in the rostral superior colliculus related to the initiation of pursuit and saccadic eye movements
Richard J Krauzlis
Systems Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 23:4333-44. 2003
..The superior colliculus (SC) plays a prominent role in the gap effect for saccades, and recent data indicate that this structure ..
- Evaluating the operations underlying multisensory integration in the cat superior colliculus
Terrence R Stanford
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 25:6499-508. 2005
It is well established that superior colliculus (SC) multisensory neurons integrate cues from different senses; however, the mechanisms responsible for producing multisensory responses are poorly understood...
- Increased c-fos-like immunoreactivity in the superior colliculus and lateral geniculate nucleus of the rd mouse
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Moran Eye Center, University of Utah Health Science Center, 75 N Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Brain Res 1025:220-5. 2004
..defect, numbers of FLI-positive cells, identified immunohistochemically, are anomalously elevated in the superior colliculus (SC) and lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN). Eye removal largely prevents the elevated counts...
- Saccade-related spread of activity across superior colliculus may arise from asymmetry of internal connections
Laboratory for Mathematical Neuroscience and for Integrated Theoretical Neuroscience, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Saitama, Japan
J Neurophysiol 96:765-74. 2006
The superior colliculus (SC) receives a retinotopic projection of the contralateral visual field in which the representation of the central field is expanded with respect to the peripheral field...
- Competitive stimulus interactions within single response fields of superior colliculus neurons
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Neurosci 25:11357-73. 2005
In addition to its role in saccade generation, the superior colliculus (SC) is involved in target selection, saccade selection, and shifting the focus of spatial attention...
- Discharge of saccade-related superior colliculus neurons during saccades accompanied by vergence
Mark M G Walton
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama, Birmingham 35294, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:1124-39. 2003
It has long been believed that the superior colliculus (SC) is involved in the production of saccades but plays no role in the generation of vergence eye movements...
- Stimulus intensity modifies saccadic reaction time and visual response latency in the superior colliculus
A H Bell
Centre for Neuroscience Studies, CIHR Group in Sensory Motor Systems, Department of Physiology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada, K7L 3N6
Exp Brain Res 174:53-9. 2006
..We evaluated this hypothesis by measuring the onset of neural activity in the intermediate layers of the superior colliculus while monkeys generated saccades to high or low-intensity visual stimuli...
- Convergence eye movements evoked by microstimulation of the rostral superior colliculus in the cat
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Sapporo Medical University, S 1, W 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
Neurosci Res 49:39-45. 2004
Results of our previous studies suggest that the circumscribed area in the rostral superior colliculus (SC) of the cat is involved in the control of accommodation. Accommodation is closely linked with vergence eye movements...
- Interaural timing cues do not contribute to the map of space in the ferret superior colliculus: a virtual acoustic space study
Robert A A Campbell
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Neurophysiol 95:242-54. 2006
..virtual acoustic space (VAS) stimuli to investigate the representation of auditory space in the superior colliculus (SC) of anesthetized ferrets...
- Ionotropic glutamate receptor GluR2/3-immunoreactive neurons in the cat, rabbit, and hamster superficial superior colliculus
Won Mee Park
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University, 1370 Sankyuk Dong, Daegu 702 701, South Korea
Neurosci Res 49:139-55. 2004
..of AMPA glutamate receptor subtype GluR2/3 in the superficial layers of cat, rabbit, and hamster superior colliculus (SC) with antibody immunocytochemistry and the effect of enucleation on this distribution...
- Kinematics and eye-head coordination of gaze shifts evoked from different sites in the superior colliculus of the cat
UMR CNRS 6152 Mouvement et Perception, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Universite de la Mediterranee, CP 910, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Physiol 577:779-94. 2006
Shifting gaze requires precise coordination of eye and head movements. It is clear that the superior colliculus (SC) is involved with saccadic gaze shifts...
- Simulations of saccade curvature by models that place superior colliculus upstream from the local feedback loop
Mark M G Walton
Deptartment Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Neurophysiol 93:2354-8. 2005
..dual electrode recordings to show that this phenomenon is associated with activity at more than one site in superior colliculus (SC)...
- Cortex controls multisensory depression in superior colliculus
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:2123-35. 2003
Multisensory depression is a fundamental index of multisensory integration in superior colliculus (SC) neurons...
- Loss-of-function analysis of EphA receptors in retinotectal mapping
David A Feldheim
Department of Cell Biology and Program in Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neurosci 24:2542-50. 2004
- Evidence for gaze feedback to the cat superior colliculus: discharges reflect gaze trajectory perturbations
Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A2B4
J Neurosci 24:2760-73. 2004
..A critical structure in the gaze control circuitry is the superior colliculus (SC) of the midbrain, which drives gaze saccades by relaying cortical commands to brainstem eye and head ..
- Visual detection deficits following inactivation of the superior colliculus in the cat
Marnie C Fitzmaurice
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6074, USA
Vis Neurosci 20:687-701. 2003
Lesion or inactivation of the superior colliculus (SC) of the cat results in an animal that fails to orient toward peripheral visual stimuli which normally evoke a brisk, reflexive orienting response...
- Neuron-specific contribution of the superior colliculus to overt and covert shifts of attention
Department of Cognitive Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Nat Neurosci 7:56-64. 2004
..Using single-unit recording from the brains of trained rhesus monkeys, we investigated whether the superior colliculus, the major subcortical center for the control of saccades, is part of this shared network for attention and ..