Genomes and Genes
Summary: The sac enclosing a joint. It is composed of an outer fibrous articular capsule and an inner SYNOVIAL MEMBRANE.
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Thermal capsular shrinkage: Basic science and clinical applicationsM J Medvecky
Cincinnati Sportsmedicine and Orthopaedic Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
Arthroscopy 17:624-35. 2001Recently, the use of thermal energy to shrink the redundant glenohumeral joint capsule in patients with instability has generated a great deal of interest...
- The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen reduces joint capsule fibrosis in a rabbit model of post-traumatic joint contracturesMichael J Monument
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1, Canada
Inflamm Res 61:285-92. 2012Using a rabbit model of post-traumatic joint contractures, we investigated whether treatment with a mast cell stabilizer after joint injury would lessen the molecular manifestations of joint capsule fibrosis.
- The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen fumarate lessens contracture severity and myofibroblast hyperplasia: a study of a rabbit model of posttraumatic joint contracturesMichael J Monument
McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:1468-77. 2010The propensity of joints to become stiff after trauma is widely appreciated, and the joint capsule is commonly recognized as the major motion-limiting anatomical structure...
- Regional variation is present in elbow capsules after injuryNiccole M Germscheid
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 450:219-24. 2006..The purpose of our study was to determine whether these changes occur regionally or throughout the entire joint capsule. We hypothesized that the alpha-smooth muscle actin mRNA expression and the myofibroblast numbers in posterior ..
- Joint capsule mast cells and neuropeptides are increased within four weeks of injury and remain elevated in chronic stages of posttraumatic contracturesKevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre, Bone and Joint Institute, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB, Canada
J Orthop Res 26:1313-9. 2008..b>Joint capsule myofibroblast, mast cell, and neuropeptide containing nerve fiber numbers were assessed with ..
- New rabbit knee model of posttraumatic joint contracture: indirect capsular damage induces a severe contractureSergiy Nesterenko
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Orthop Res 27:1028-32. 2009..001). When associated with bone perforations and immobilization in forced flexion, injury to the posterior capsule results in a severe contracture in the rabbit knee...
- Frozen shoulder: MR arthrographic findingsBernard Mengiardi
Department of Radiology, Orthopedic University Clinic Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 233:486-92. 2004..To evaluate the magnetic resonance (MR) arthrographic findings in patients with frozen shoulder...
- Regional material properties of the human hip joint capsule ligamentsJ Hewitt
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Orthop Res 19:359-64. 2001The hip joint capsule functions to constrain translation between the femur and acetabulum while allowing rotational and planar movements...
- Structural and biochemical evaluation of the elbow capsule after traumaMark S Cohen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:484-90. 2007..This study demonstrates pathologic thickening, disorganization of the collagen fiber arrangement, and involvement of cytokines in the pathology of post-traumatic contracture of the elbow...
- Histological evaluation of the changes in temporomandibular joint capsule and retrodiscal ligaments following autologous blood injectionAydin Gulses
Canakkale Military Hospital, Gokceada Surgical Infirmary, Canakkale, Turkey
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 41:316-20. 2013..The effects of this treatment on components of the TMJ is not fully understood. The purpose of this article is to evaluate the effects of autologous blood on TMJ capsule and the retrodiscal ligament...
- Cellular, matrix, and growth factor components of the joint capsule are modified early in the process of posttraumatic contracture formation in a rabbit modelKevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre, Bone and Joint Institute, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Acta Orthop 79:116-25. 2008..To understand the initiation of the process, we evaluated the cellular, matrix, and growth factor changes in the joint capsule in the early stages of the animal model, which would not be possible in humans.
- Joint capsule matrix turnover in a rabbit model of chronic joint contractures: Correlation with human contracturesKevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
J Orthop Res 24:1036-43. 2006To evaluate changes in matrix molecules of the joint capsule, the right knees of 24 skeletally mature female NZW rabbits were immobilized while the contralateral limb served as an unoperated control...
- Anatomic relation between the posterior cruciate ligament and the joint capsuleLeonardo Addêo Ramos
Sports Traumatology Sector, Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arthroscopy 24:1367-72. 2008The aim of this anatomic study on cadavers was to determine the anatomic relation between the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and the posterior joint capsule attachment.
- Relative contribution of acromioclavicular joint capsule and coracoclavicular ligaments to acromioclavicular stabilityPatrick A Dawson
Idaho Sports Medicine Institute, Boise, ID
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 18:237-44. 2009We hypothesized that both the AC joint capsule and CC ligaments are biomechanically robust structures in the anterior-posterior (AP) and superior-inferior (SI) planes with low loads, and that these ligaments provide essential function in ..
- High rate of joint capsule matrix turnover in chronic human elbow contracturesKevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 439:228-34. 2005The joint capsule is a key component in posttraumatic joint contractures. The capsule is described as thickened, but little data exist supporting the observation...
- The effect of the pro-inflammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor-alpha on human joint capsule myofibroblastsStefan G Mattyasovszky
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University School of Medicine, Langenbeckstr, 1, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R4. 2010..the mode of MFs' function has been well defined for different diseases associated with tissue fibrosis, the underlying mechanisms of their regulation in the pathogenesis of post-traumatic joint capsule contracture are largely unknown.
- Joint capsule treatment with enkephalin-encoding HSV-1 recombinant vector reduces inflammatory damage and behavioural sequelae in rat CFA monoarthritisYing Lu
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Eur J Neurosci 27:1153-65. 2008..Targeted delivery of enkephalin-encoding HSV-1 vector generated safe, sustained opioid-induced analgesia with protective anti-inflammatory blunting in rat inflammatory arthritis...
- Potent inhibition of cartilage biosynthesis by coincubation with joint capsule through an IL-1-independent pathwayP Patwari
Continuum Electromechanics Group, Center for Biomedical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Scand J Med Sci Sports 19:528-35. 2009..establish a model for such interactions, we coincubated bovine cartilage tissue explants together with normal joint capsule and found a profound ( approximately 70%) reduction in cartilage proteoglycan biosynthesis...
- The enthesis of the elbow-joint capsule of the dog humerusC Staszyk
Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Anatomisches Institut, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Morphol 39:319-23. 2001The enthesis of the elbow-joint capsule in the dog is described histologically in relation to the specific mechanical forces that operate in different regions along its line of attachment...
- Arthroscopic capsular release for the treatment of refractory postoperative or post-fracture shoulder stiffnessG B Holloway
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1682-7. 2001..However, there was less improvement in the subjective scores for pain, function, and patient satisfaction in the postoperative group...
- The significance of extensor tendon tethering and dorsal joint capsule tightening after injury to the handM Kulkarni
St Andrew s Centre for Plastic Surgery, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex, UK
J Hand Surg Br 31:52-60. 2006This paper examines the clinical problem of extensor tendon tethering and/or dorsal joint capsule tightening secondary to hand injury...
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings in idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulderY Carrillon
Radiology Department, Lyon South Teaching Hospital Center, Pierre Benite, France
Rev Rhum Engl Ed 66:201-6. 1999..To describe magnetic resonance imaging findings in idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Fibroma of tendon sheath located within the ankle joint capsuleRiccardo Ciatti
Casa di Cura Villa Stuart, Rome, Italy
J Orthop Traumatol 10:147-50. 2009We report a very rare case of fibroma of the tendon sheath arising from the anteromedial ankle joint capsule, with no apparent connection to any tendon in the area, found in a 58-year-old patient complaining of progressive local swelling...
- Fibroma of tendon sheath originating from the knee joint capsuleToshiaki Hitora
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Japan
Clin Imaging 26:280-3. 2002We present a rare case of fibroma of the tendon sheath originating from the posterior joint capsule of the knee in a 50-year-old man. Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging revealed a lesion posterior to the medial femoral condyle...
- Detection of synovial macrophages in the joint capsule of dogs with naturally occurring rupture of the cranial cruciate ligamentNathan W Klocke
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Am J Vet Res 66:493-9. 2005....
- The role of the distal radioulnar ligaments, interosseous membrane, and joint capsule in distal radioulnar joint stabilityL D Ward
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Hand Surg Am 25:341-51. 2000..Furthermore, the role of the distal radioulnar joint capsule as a restraint and contributor to stability has not been investigated...
- Human lumbar spine creep during cyclic and static flexion: creep rate, biomechanics, and facet joint capsule strainJesse S Little
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, T18 Rm 030, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 33:391-401. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of creep on lumbar biomechanics and facet joint capsule (FJC) strain...
- Myofibroblast upregulators are elevated in joint capsules in posttraumatic contracturesKevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:85-91. 2007..The rabbit knee model correlated well with the human post traumatic elbow contractures...
- Intracapsular pressure and elasticity of the hip joint capsule in osteoarthritisSarunas Tarasevicius
Department of Orthopedics, Kaunas Medical University, Kaunas, Lithuania
J Arthroplasty 22:596-600. 2007We investigated intracapsular pressure and elasticity of the hip joint capsule in osteoarthritis...
- Human lumbar facet joint capsule strains: I. During physiological motionsAllyson Ianuzzi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, HSC T18 030, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Spine J 4:141-52. 2004The lumbar facet joint capsule is innervated with nociceptors and mechanoreceptors, and is thought to play a role in low back pain as well as to function proprioceptively.
- Magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of intra-articular adhesions of the temporomandibular jointShanYong Zhang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ninth People s Hospital, School of Stomatology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, People s Republic of China
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47:389-92. 2009..We concluded that the diagnostic accuracy of MRI for intra-articular adhesions was poor; most of the adhesions were not diagnosed by MRI, but intracapsular adhesions could be detected on T2 weighted-images with existing synovial fluid...
- Recording of neural activity from goat cervical facet joint capsule using custom-designed miniature electrodesChaoyang Chen
Spine Research Laboratory, Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1367-72. 2005To establish a methodology for the neurophysiologic study of mechanoreceptors in the cervical facet joint capsule.
- Co-culture of mechanically injured cartilage with joint capsule tissue alters chondrocyte expression patterns and increases ADAMTS5 productionJ H Lee
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 489:118-26. 2009..and aggrecanase production and activity in normal and mechanically injured cartilage co-cultured with joint capsule tissue...
- Intra-articular ganglia arising from the posterior joint capsule of the kneeYomei Tachibana
Division of Sports Medicine, Saitama Medical School, Saitama, Japan
Arthroscopy 20:54-9. 2004..We describe two cases of an intra-articular ganglion arising from the posterior joint capsule. Both cysts appeared to be arising from the posterior cruciate ligament by both MRI as well as arthroscopy ..
- Excessive radiofrequency application: effects on capsular tissue in an animal modelBrian R Wolf
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:149-56. 2005..These findings suggest that there is no benefit to repeated applications of radiofrequency energy to capsular tissue...
- Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: evaluation with MR arthrographyJoon Yong Jung
Department of Radiology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea
Eur Radiol 16:791-6. 2006..The presence of abnormal tissue in the rotator interval showed high sensitivity but rather low specificity...
- The use of radiofrequency energy during arthroscopic surgery and its effects on intraarticular tissuesC L Horstman
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi 39762, USA
Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 19:65-71. 2006..This damage is also power and temperature dependent and is observed at temperatures as low as 45 degrees C. Caution should be used when applying RF energy within a joint to prevent or minimize articular cartilage injury...
- A simple capsulorrhaphy in a posterior approach for total hip arthroplastyMichael C Dixon
Brigham and Womens Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Arthroplasty 19:373-6. 2004..Only the capsule (and not the rotators) is sutured to the medius tendon (not to bone), creating an elastic endpoint that is less likely to disrupt during the healing process...
- Comparison of human lumbar facet joint capsule strains during simulated high-velocity, low-amplitude spinal manipulation versus physiological motionsAllyson Ianuzzi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Health Sciences Center, T18 030, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Spine J 5:277-90. 2005..manipulation (SM) is an effective treatment for low back pain (LBP), and it has been theorized that SM induces a beneficial neurophysiological effect by stimulating mechanically sensitive neurons in the lumbar facet joint capsule (FJC).
- The proximal hip joint capsule and the zona orbicularis contribute to hip joint stability in distractionHiroshi Ito
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Asahikawa Medical College, Midorigaoka Higashi 2 1 1 1, Asahikawa, 078 8510, Japan
J Orthop Res 27:989-95. 2009The structure and function of the proximal hip joint capsule and the zona orbicularis are poorly understood. We hypothesized that the zona orbicularis is an important contributor to hip stability in distraction...
- Distribution of A-delta and C-fiber receptors in the cervical facet joint capsule and their response to stretchChaoyang Chen
Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, 818 West Hancock Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:1807-16. 2006..The purposes of this study were to determine the distribution of A-delta and C-fiber sensory receptors in the facet joint capsule and to test their patterns of response to stretch and related sensory function.
- Histologic evaluation of the glenohumeral joint capsule after radiofrequency capsular shrinkage for atraumatic instabilitySamir N Massoud
Reading Shoulder Unit, Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, England
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:163-8. 2007..5, chi2 test). A histologic score was introduced, and this was found to have an excellent intraobserver agreement (weighted kappa, 0.840) and a moderate interobserver agreement (weighted kappa, 0.698)...
- The cricoarytenoid joint capsule and its relevance to endotracheal intubationF P Paulsen
Department of Anatomy, Christian Albrecht University of Kiel, Germany
Anesth Analg 90:180-5. 2000..Little is known about the cricoarytenoid joint capsule and its role in intubation...
- Kim's lesion: an incomplete and concealed avulsion of the posteroinferior labrum in posterior or multidirectional posteroinferior instability of the shoulderSeung Ho Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Arthroscopy 20:712-20. 2004..The purpose of this article is to report a new clinical entity of posterior instability of the shoulder and the results of its treatment...
- Variations in the superior capsuloligamentous complex and description of a new ligamentNicole Pouliart
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:821-36. 2007....
- The effects of thermal capsular shrinkage on the outcomes of arthroscopic stabilization for primary anterior shoulder instabilityShiyi Chen
Department of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Am J Sports Med 33:705-11. 2005..The effectiveness of arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy in the prevention of recurrent instability in primary anterior stabilization is undetermined...
- [The operative treatment of habitual humeral abarticulation using the Bankart method]Witold Bołtuć
Oddziału Chirurgii Urazowo Ortopedycznej i Rehabilitacji w Dabrowie Tarnowskiej
Przegl Lek 63:25-6. 2006..The recurrences of the habitual humeral abarticulation have not been observed...
- A cadaveric model of the throwing shoulder: a possible etiology of superior labrum anterior-to-posterior lesionsMark G Grossman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Winthrop University Hospital, 120 Mineola Boulevard, Suite 600, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:824-31. 2005..Therefore, the objective of the present study was to examine the biomechanical effects of capsular changes in a cadaveric model...
- [Arthroscopic Bankart repair]Witold Zarzycki
Katedra i Klinika Ortopedii i Traumatologii Narzadu Ruchu, Akademia Medyczna w Gdansku
Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 71:309-11. 2006..MISS questionnaire values were significantly higher following the surgery. Arthroscopic Bankart repair restores joint stability, helps to avoid complications associated With opening of the shoulder and gives a better cosmetic effect...
- Hill-sachs "remplissage": an arthroscopic solution for the engaging hill-sachs lesionRobert J Purchase
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Arthroscopy 24:723-6. 2008..The inferior suture is tied first with the knots remaining extra-articular, pulling the infraspinatus and capsule into the lesion. After completion, the Bankart lesion can then be repaired...
- Rupture of the biceps tendon after arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphyBryan T Hanypsiak
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Arthroscopy 20:77-9. 2004..One patient elected further surgery with biceps tenodesis. Both patients have returned to their athletic activities with minimal functional deficits...
- Arthroscopic multi-pleated capsular plication compared with open inferior capsular shift for reduction of shoulder volume in a cadaveric modelJon K Sekiya
MedSport, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106 0391, USA
Arthroscopy 23:1145-51. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare a new arthroscopic technique for capsular plication with the standard open inferior capsular shift for reducing volume in a multidirectional instability model...
- Arthroscopic management of multidirectional instability: pancapsular plicationMichael Hewitt
The Southern California Orthopedic Institute, 6815 Noble Avenue, Van Nuys, CA 91405, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 34:549-57. 2003..The mainstay of treatment for MDI remains conservative. In resistant cases, however, arthroscopic management can be performed safely and efficaciously, now with documented extended success in an active patient population...
- Isolated electrothermal capsulorrhaphy in overhand athletesJerome G Enad
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:133-7. 2004..Overall recurrence and failure rates were high. Instability in overhand athletes may require something other than isolated electrothermal capsulorrhaphy to address laxity...
- The effect of radiofrequency thermal capsulorrhaphy on glenohumeral translation, rotation, and volumeBrian N Victoroff
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:138-45. 2004..Nonablative RF thermal energy was used to contract the glenohumeral joint capsule in 6 cadaveric shoulders...
- Posterior shoulder instability: comprehensive analysis of open and arthroscopic approachesSanjeev Kakar
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:655-9. 2007..82). This study demonstrated no statistical difference in clinical outcomes for patients treated with either open or arthroscopic surgery for posterior shoulder instability...
- Effects of capsular plication and rotator interval closure in simulated multidirectional shoulder instabilityBrian L Shafer
University of Southern California, Orthopaedic Surgery Associates, 1510 San Pablo Street, Suite 322, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:136-44. 2008....
- Comparison of shoulder stabilization using arthroscopic transglenoid sutures versus open capsulolabral repairs: a 5-year minimum follow-upJohn D Hubbell
Nirschl Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Clinic, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Am J Sports Med 32:650-4. 2004..Few long-term studies have compared the efficacy of shoulder stabilization using arthroscopic or open procedures...
- Arthroscopic reinforced capsular shift of anterior shoulder instabilityBasim A Fleega
GOC Orthopedic Hospital, Bonn, Germany
Arthroscopy 20:543-6. 2004..It also causes less postoperative range of motion limitation, while offering the same amount of capsular shift as the traditional open repair...
- Immediate effect of thermal capsulorrhaphy on glenohumeral joint mobilityJia Hao Chang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, 1, Ta Hsueh Road, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 19:572-8. 2004....
- Revisiting open capsuloplasty for the treatment of anterior shoulder instability: 35-year follow-up of the Du Toit procedureStefano Zaffagnini
Department of Orthopaedic and Sport Traumatology, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Biomechanics Laboratory, V Di Barbiano, 1 10, 40136, Bologna, Italy
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:1055-61. 2007....
- Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy as treatment for the unstable paralytic shoulderEric J Strauss
Sports Medicine Shoulder Service, The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York 10021, USA
Arthroscopy 21:636. 2005....
- Simulated capsulolabral lesion in cadavers: dislocation does not result from a bankart lesion onlyNicole Pouliart
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Academic Hospital Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Arthroscopy 22:748-54. 2006..Although an anteroinferior capsulolabral detachment (typical Bankart lesion) has been evaluated in other experimental studies, it has not yet been tested with an apprehension test in an intact shoulder model...
- Concomitant rotator cuff and capsuloligamentous lesions of the shoulder: a cadaver studyNicole Pouliart
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Academic Hospital Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Arthroscopy 22:728-35. 2006..Our hypothesis was that less extensive capsuloligamentous lesions are necessary to allow dislocation in the presence of rotator cuff lesions...
- Clinical outcome of anterior shoulder instability with capsular midsubstance tear: a comparison of isolated midsubstance tear and midsubstance tear with Bankart lesionYong Girl Rhee
Shoulder and Elbow Clinic, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:586-90. 2006..The loss of external rotation was greater in the cases with combined midsubstance tears and Bankart lesions than in those with an isolated midsubstance tear...
- Posterior capsular contracture of the shoulderH Gregory Bach
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois Chicago, 60612, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14:265-77. 2006..In the athlete who fails nonsurgical management, a selective posteroinferior capsulotomy can improve motion, reduce pain, and prevent further shoulder injury...
- Arthroscopic anterior stabilization and posterior capsular plication for anterior glenohumeral instability: a report of 71 casesKenneth J Westerheide
Mount Carmel Health System, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Arthroscopy 22:539-47. 2006..We present 71 cases of anterior glenohumeral instability treated with arthroscopic anterior stabilization and posterior capsular plication...
- Arthroscopic capsulolabral reconstruction for posterior instability of the shoulder: a prospective study of 100 shouldersJames P Bradley
Burke and Bradley Orthopaedics, St Margarets Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15215, USA
Am J Sports Med 34:1061-71. 2006..There are few reports in the literature detailing arthroscopic treatment of unidirectional posterior shoulder instability...
- Reverse HAGL: a possible complication of a tight anterior gleno-humeral stabilizationA Castagna
Servizio di Chirurgia della Spalla, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milano, Italy
Chir Organi Mov 90:201-7. 2005..Clinical and functional improvement was observed but the final outcome seems to be related to range of motion recovery and not only to the posterior repair...
- Arthroscopic anteroinferior suture plication resulting in decreased glenohumeral translation and external rotation. Study of a cadaver modelFrank G Alberta
Active Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, PA, 390 Old Hook Road, Westwood, NJ 07675, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:179-87. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of arthroscopic plication on glenohumeral translation, the rotational range of motion, and the positions of the glenohumeral center of rotation...
- Open and arthroscopic treatment of multidirectional instability of the shoulderPeter A Caprise
The Orthopaedic Center of Central Virginia, Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
Arthroscopy 22:1126-31. 2006..Regardless of the technique used, the key to success is addressing the capsular laxity and redundancy to restore anatomic capsuloligamentous tension without overconstraining the shoulder...
- [Sensorimotor deficit after capsulolabral reconstruction in chronic instability of the shoulder. A clinical experimental study]R Fremerey
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Klinikum Hildesheim
Unfallchirurg 108:1038-43. 2005..The results confirmed a persistent deficit of proprioception as well as a pathologic EMG pattern after anterior capsulolabral reconstruction, which may explain the problem of incomplete restoration of the function of the shoulder joint...
- Arthroscopic Bristow procedure for anterior instability in shoulders with a stretched or deficient capsule: the "belt-and-suspenders" operative technique and preliminary resultsPascal Boileau
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Traumatology, Hopital de l Archet, University of Nice, Nice, France
Arthroscopy 23:593-601. 2007..We report the results of a new technique consisting of a combined arthroscopic Bankart repair associated with a transfer of the coraco-biceps tendon to reinforce the deficient anterior capsule by lowering the subscapularis...
- Posterior instability of the shoulder following thermal capsulorrhaphy for multidirectional instabilityPaul Fenn
Sports Medicine Program, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Arthroscopy 23:226.e1-4. 2007..Stress on the posterior capsule was not permitted for 3 months. At 1-year follow-up, the patient had full pain-free range of motion and returned to participation in sports without limitation...
- Biomechanical analysis of isolated type II SLAP lesions and repairVahé R Panossian
Keck School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, USC University Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:529-34. 2005..These findings suggest that type II SLAP lesions cause significant glenohumeral instability, which can be effectively treated with current arthroscopic techniques...
- Intra-articular volume assessment in glenohumeral instabilityS O Dietz
Department of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, ATOS Praxisklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 14:189-92. 2006..There is no statistically significant difference in joint volume correlated to BSA in patients with traumatic anterior instability, chronic instability and individuals without glenohumeral instability...
- Significance of the latissimus dorsi for shoulder instability. II. Its influence on dislocation behavior in a sequential cutting protocol of the glenohumeral capsuleN Pouliart
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Academic Hospital Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Anat 18:500-9. 2005..This effect can only take place in the infrequent situation of humeral avulsion of the glenohumeral ligaments. This may be an explanation for the relative paucity of these lesions in clinical instability series...
- Glenohumeral chondrolysis following thermal capsulorrhaphyWilliam J Ciccone
Medical Education and Research Institute of Colorado, 3920 N Union Blvd, Ste 210, Colorado Springs, CO 80907, USA
Orthopedics 30:158-60. 2007
- Humeral avulsion of the glenohumeral ligament: injury pattern and arthroscopic repair techniquesA Dushi Parameswaran
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Orthopedics 31:773-9. 2008..The arthroscopic treatment of a humeral avulsion of the glenohumeral ligaments lesion allows for a safe, reproducible, and effective way to reestablish the inferior glenohumeral ligament and capsular complex to the humerus...
- Glenohumeral volume reduction in arthroscopic shoulder reconstruction: a cadaveric analysis of suture plication and thermal capsulorrhaphySpero G Karas
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of North Carolina Medical Center, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Arthroscopy 20:179-84. 2004..The purpose of this study was to objectively assess glenohumeral volume changes after arthroscopic suture plication, arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy, and combined suture and thermal treatment...
- Arthroscopic laser-assisted capsular shift in the treatment of patients with multidirectional shoulder instabilityPaul J Favorito
Wellington Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine, 4440 Glen Este Withamsville Road, Cincinnati, OH 45245 2123, USA
Am J Sports Med 30:322-8. 2002..In recent years, various investigators have begun using lasers in the treatment of shoulder instability...
- Glenohumeral joint translation after arthroscopic thermal capsuloplasty of the rotator intervalMark T Selecky
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:139-43. 2003..Future studies are warranted to evaluate the effects of the biologic response to thermal shrinkage and whether these reduced glenohumeral translations will be maintained...
- The disabled throwing shoulder: spectrum of pathology Part I: pathoanatomy and biomechanicsStephen S Burkhart
Arthroscopy 19:404-20. 2003..Part III: The "SICK" Scapula, Scapular Dyskinesis, the Kinetic Chain, and Rehabilitation will be presented in the July-August issue. We hope you find it thought-provoking and compelling...
- Treatment of the athlete with multidirectional shoulder instabilityW N Levine
Shoulder and Elbow Service, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 32:475-84. 2001..Longer follow-ups will be necessary before definitive statements can be made regarding the arthroscopic techniques...
- Arthroscopic capsular shrinkage of the shoulder for the treatment of patients with multidirectional instability: Minimum 2-year follow-upSimon P Frostick
Department of Musculoskeletal Science, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, England
Arthroscopy 19:227-33. 2003..MDI is a disabling condition as a result of pain and restriction of activity. The treatment of MDI is primarily nonsurgical (supervised physiotherapy)...
- [Intraarticular pathology of atraumatic shoulder dislocations. An arthroscopic study]A Werner
Orthopadische Klinik, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf
Unfallchirurg 106:110-3. 2003..Little is known about intraarticular pathology in this entity. It was the purpose of our study to evaluate such findings...
- The use of thermal capsulorrhaphy in the treatment of multidirectional instabilityBrian T Fitzgerald
Department of Orthopedics, Naval Medical Center San Diego, California 92134 1005, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:108-13. 2002..More information further defining the biomechanical pathology of capsular laxity and the specific role of electrothermal shrinkage in treating shoulder instability is needed...
- Neer Award 2001: nonrecoverable strain fields of the anteroinferior glenohumeral capsule under subluxationDavid M Malicky
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Valparaiso University, Valapariso
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:529-40. 2002..Interestingly, strains were generally not oriented along major ligamentous bands. This is the first study to quantify planar nonrecoverable strain fields in the glenohumeral joint capsule.
- Effect of selective capsulorrhaphy on the passive range of motion of the glenohumeral jointC Gerber
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Switzerland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:48-55. 2003..Capsulorrhaphy of the glenohumeral joint is a common surgical procedure for the treatment of instability caused by increased capsular laxity. The effect of capsulorrhaphy on the range of motion of the shoulder is poorly understood...
- Iliotibial band reconstruction for treatment of glenohumeral instability associated with irreparable capsular deficiencyJoseph P Iannotti
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:618-23. 2002..The primary objectives of this study are to describe the surgical technique for capsular reconstruction with ITB and to report the clinical results in 7 patients...
- [The sublabral foramen. Congenital or an acquired variance?]C U Schulz
Orthopadische Klinik, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Unfallchirurg 105:1088-91. 2002....
- Capsulolabral augmentation increases glenohumeral stability in the cadaver shoulderM H Metcalf
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 10:532-8. 2001..Understanding the biomechanical effect of this procedure helps the physician to establish surgical goals and to explain to patients the rationale of why this procedure may be clinically efficacious...
- Thermal capsulorrhaphy in the treatment of multidirectional instability of the shoulderRobert S Wolf
Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Birmingham 35205, Ala, USA
J South Orthop Assoc 11:102-9. 2002..While initial results in certain clinical series are promising, the long-term efficacy remains to be seen...
- Postoperative functional outcome and stability in recurrent traumatic anteroinferior glenohumeral instability: comparison of two different surgical capsular reconstruction techniquesAlwin Jaeger
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Orthopädische Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik Friedrichsheim, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:226-31. 2004..Patients (n=62) with recurrent traumatic anterior or anteroinferior glenohumeral instability were prospectively evaluated with reference to the surgical reconstruction technique performed...
- Medially based anterior capsular shift of the glenohumeral joint. Passive range of motion and posterior capsular strainC Hurschler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Am J Sports Med 29:346-53. 2001..5% in the inferior, middle, and superior aspects, respectively. Our results support the use of the medially based anterior shift for shoulders with anterior-inferior instability or multidirectional instability with posterior involvement...
- Histologic evaluation of the shoulder capsule in normal shoulders, unstable shoulders, and after failed thermal capsulorrhaphyEdward G McFarland
Division of Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Sports Med 30:636-42. 2002..Attenuation of the shoulder capsule has been noted during revision surgery for failed thermal capsulorrhaphy...
- Laser-assisted thermal capsulorrhaphyThomas J Noonan
Steadman Hawkins Sports Medicine Foundation, Vail, Colorado 81657, USA
Arthroscopy 19:815-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to review the clinical results of laser-assisted thermal capsulorrhaphy in patients with glenohumeral instability...
- Thermal capsular shrinkage in the throwing athleteJeffrey R Dugas
American Sports Medicine Institute, 1313 13th Street, Birmingham, AL 35255, USA
Clin Sports Med 21:771-6. 2002..As our understanding of the pathology that occurs in the thrower's shoulder continues to improve, so too will our understanding of the effect of applying thermal energy to the joint capsule.
- Arthroscopic anterior stabilization of the shoulder: two to six-year follow-upSeung Ho Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1511-8. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate prospectively the surgical outcomes of arthroscopic repair of anterior capsulolabral lesions with use of suture anchors in a large series of patients who were followed for two to six years...
- Arthroscopic posterior labral repair and capsular shift for traumatic unidirectional recurrent posterior subluxation of the shoulderSeung Ho Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1479-87. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the results of arthroscopic treatment of traumatic unidirectional recurrent posterior subluxation of the shoulder...
- [Arthroscopic capsular release for frozen shoulder]Sercan Akpinar
Başkent Universitesi Tip Fakültesi Ortopedi ve Travmatoloji Anabilim Dali, Adana, Turkey
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 37:213-8. 2003..This study was designed to evaluate the results and technical considerations of arthroscopic capsular release of the glenohumeral joint in frozen shoulder disease...
- Aligned Tendon or Ligament Derived Matrix Nanoscaffolds for Rotator Cuff RepairDianne Little; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research: The rotator cuff is a composite of joint capsule, tendons and ligaments that is critical for stability and function of the shoulder...
- Joint Capsule Biomechanics and Transport in Rat Models of Aging and DiseaseWILLIAM JOSEPH MCCARTY; Fiscal Year: 2012..joints are defined by a synovial cavity bathed in lubricating synovial fluid (SF) that is constrained by the joint capsule, a fibrous tissue consisting of a cellular intimal layer, the synovium, and a loose connective sub-intimal ..
- Substrate Optimization Therapy: A Novel Therapy for MucopolysaccharidosisCHARLES ALEXANDER GLASS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Through this grant we aim to identify compounds that are the crucial starting point for the development of the first orally available CNS penetrant therapy for this devastating disease. ..
- Substrate Optimization Therapy: A Novel Therapy for MucopolysaccharidosisCHARLES ALEXANDER GLASS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Through this grant we aim to develop the first therapy to treat all symptoms including the devastating neurological deficits of these diseases. ..
- ELECTROSPINNING ARTIFICIAL LIGAMENTS AND TENDONS FOR POTENTIAL PROSTHESESJAVIER MACOSSAY-TORRES; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Over 800,000 injuries to ligaments, tendons and the joint capsule occur every year in the U.S.A...
- Fibrillin 2 and Developmental Genetics of Hip Dysplasia in a Canine ModelRory Todhunter; Fiscal Year: 2009..4) To measure temporal expression of associated genes using mRNA isolated from hip joint capsule and round ligament biopsy samples collected arthroscopically at 2, 4 and 6 months of age from the hips of ..
- Implant/Construct Interactions in the Biomechanics of Total Hip DislocationThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..work, to now also include implant interaction(s) with the surrounding anatomic bony surfaces and with the hip joint capsule. The pre-processing sequence is structured for efficient parametric variation of individual implant design ..
- The Clinical Role of Wrist Joint MechanoreceptorsRichard Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..transmitted through afferent nerves; however, our understanding of the role of specific nerve endings in the joint capsule remains incomplete...
- MOVEMENT CONTROL FOLLOWING FINGER JOINT REPLACEMENTJ Kelso; Fiscal Year: 1980..receptor mechanisms mediating proprioception (information about limb position and movement) lie in the joint capsule. The major objective of the present research is to systematically assess the nature of the presumed ..
- Human Lumbar Facet Capsule BiomechanicsPartap Khalsa; Fiscal Year: 2004..The short range goal of the investigators is to elucidate how the human facet joint capsule is loaded during physiological loads of the lumbar spine and to develop a computational model that will enable ..
- Mechanisms and Effects of Chiropractic ManipulationWilliam Meeker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Project 1 will study the biomechanical and neurological effects of vertebral loading on the facet joint capsule using an animal model...
- Clinically relevant large animal model of rotator cuff injury and repairKathleen Derwin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therefore, we argue that a new animal model is needed, one that mimics the human condition with regard to joint capsule injury, the absence of spontaneous healing or scar formation, the presence of muscle atrophy, stiffening, and ..
- Prevention of Hip Dysplasia with Thermal EnergyMANDI LOPEZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..that: 1) application of thermal energy at 65 degrees C using radio-frequency energy to the coxofemoral joint capsule of puppies with radiographic evidence of joint laxity will result in normal hip congruity, 2) will prevent the ..
- ROLE OF DEBRIS AND CELL STIFFNESS IN OSTEOLYSIS ETIOLOGYNICOLAS PERRUSQUIA; Fiscal Year: 2004..of the abundance, size and shape of Magnesium Silicate (MgSi) debris from postoperative, enzyme digested, joint capsule tissue...
- STRUCTURAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF THE SPINEAlbert King; Fiscal Year: 1992..To study the electrophysiologic response of nerves which supply the facet joint capsule of the rabbit lumbar spine...
- Recombinant FIV vectors for the delivery of siRNA therapy to jointsStephanos Kyrkanides; Fiscal Year: 2007..This method of direct intra-articular administration also confines the therapeutic effects within the joint capsule (thus minimizing any off-target side effects) following a simple, straight forward injection that can be ..
- Biomechanics of spinal manipulation using a cat modelAllyson Ianuzzi; Fiscal Year: 2006..initiates a beneficial neurophysiological response by stimulating mechanically sensitive neurons in the facet joint capsule (FJC)...
- BIOMECHANICAL FACTORS IN OA OF THE GLENOHUMERAL JOINTVAN MOW; Fiscal Year: 1999..humeral head cartilage; 4) Iatrogenic changes in the glenohumeral joint articulation - surgical tightening of joint capsule produces abnormal contact areas and contact stresses...
- DYNAMIC ANALYSIS OF JOINT MECHANORECEPTOR NEURONSMarc Fuller; Fiscal Year: 1991..understanding of the way mechanical variables are encoded in the discharge pattern of mechanoreceptors in the joint capsule of the knee. Two specific questions will be addressed, using different methodologies...
- GLENOHUMERAL JOINT STABILITY: ROLE OF THE CAPSULERICHARD DEBSKI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This methodology will also serve as the state-of-the-art for analysis of other joint capsules throughout the musculoskeletal system. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CGRP CONTROL IN TRIGEMINAL NEURONS IN VITRO AND IN VIVOPaul Durham; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Local Tissue Biomechanics in Low Back & Radicular PainBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2004..To accomplish this, in vivo tissue strains will be correlated with mechanical allodynia and neuroimmune mediators of persistent pain. ..
- Glutamate Induced Molecular Events Contributing to Chro*KARIN WESTLUND HIGH; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CGRP Regulation of iNOS and MAP Kinases/Phosphatases in Trigeminal Ganglia GliaPaul L Durham; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ROLE OF BIOMECHANICS/NEURAL PLASTICITY IN RADICULAR PAINBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..age analysis will be used to determine the local strain tensor for particular tissue components. Tissue bins will be correlated with mechanical allodynia and neuroimmune mediators of persistent pain. ..
- Nitric Oxide Control of CGRP in Trigeminal NeuronsPaul Durham; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGY OF THE LUMBAR DISC AND ADJACENT TISSUEJohn Cavanaugh; Fiscal Year: 2001..The applicants believe that these approaches will lead to a better understanding of the role of disc injury and nuclear material in low back pain and sciatica, and that the outcomes may be useful in guiding treatment. ..
- Mechanisms of Synovial Joint FormationMaurizio Pacifici; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results will be invaluable in conceiving novel, directed and specific therapies to repair and restore malfunctioning joints common to aging individuals and otherwise affected patients. ..
- Basic Science of Tendon To Bone HealingAsheesh Bedi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF CHONDROCYTE PROLIFERATIONMaurizio Pacifici; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Signaling Molecules and Long Bone FormationMaurizio Pacifici; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results will provide much needed information on the regulation of long bone formation, and will have relevance to questions of skeletal growth, fracture repair and congenital conditions of cartilage and bone. ..
- A Novel Model of TMJ Osteoarthritis to Define Glial Reactivity in Chronic PainBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..It also identifies the time course of physiologic mechanisms of these disorders, and will provide the basis for future studies to investigate potential pharmacologic therapies for chronic TMJ pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Becoming a member of the CPCRN-for prostatitisRichard Berger; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, the same multidisciplinary focus and experience will allow us the flexibility to design and carry out ancillary studies, which will fit with the overall plan of the CPCRN. ..
- Neurophysiology of Whiplash PainJohn Cavanaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..4. To determine the distribution of nerves and nerve endings in the human facet joint capsule, with focus on anterior aspects and synovial folds...
- Tongue Volume, Function and BiomechanicsZi Jun Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Application of this information will allow understanding of normal tongue functional morphology and to evaluate how tongue volume affects function and craniofacial growth. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Ectopic Bone FormationSTEVEN LIETMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..