Genomes and Genes
Summary: The joint that is formed by the distal end of the RADIUS, the articular disc of the distal radioulnar joint, and the proximal row of CARPAL BONES; (SCAPHOID BONE; LUNATE BONE; triquetral bone).
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- OMERACT Rheumatoid Arthritis Magnetic Resonance Imaging Studies. Core set of MRI acquisitions, joint pathology definitions, and the OMERACT RA-MRI scoring systemMikkel Østergaard
Danish Research Center of Magnetic Resonance and Department of Rheumatology at the Copenhagen University Hospital at Hvidovre, Denmark
J Rheumatol 30:1385-6. 2003..MRI definitions of important RA joint pathologies, and a "core set" of basic MRI sequences for use in RA are also suggested...
- Bone edema scored on magnetic resonance imaging scans of the dominant carpus at presentation predicts radiographic joint damage of the hands and feet six years later in patients with rheumatoid arthritisFiona M McQueen
Auckland District Health Board and Auckland University, Auckland, New Zealand
Arthritis Rheum 48:1814-27. 2003..These features are visible before radiographic joint damage occurs. We sought to examine whether MRI of one body region (the wrist) can be used to predict whole-body radiography scores reflecting joint damage at 6 years...
- Reconstruction of flexor and extensor muscle activities from electroencephalography cortical currentsNatsue Yoshimura
Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 R2 15, Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8503, Japan
Neuroimage 59:1324-37. 2012....
- Reliability and sensitivity to change of the OMERACT rheumatoid arthritis magnetic resonance imaging score in a multireader, longitudinal settingEspen A Haavardsholm
Department of Rhumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Arthritis Rheum 52:3860-7. 2005....
- Detection of erosions in the rheumatoid hand; a comparative study of multidetector computerized tomography versus magnetic resonance scanningDavid Perry
Departments of Rheumatology and Radiology, Auckland District Health Board, Auckland University, Auckland, New Zealand
J Rheumatol 32:256-67. 2005..To compare the detection and scoring of erosions in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) using magnetic resonance (MR) and multidetector helical computerized tomographic (CT) scanning...
- Patterns of magnetic resonance imaging bone erosion in rheumatoid arthritis--which bones are most frequently involved and show the most change?Mikkel Ostergaard
Department of Rheumatology and Department of Radiology, Copenhagen University Hospital at Glostrup, Copenhagen
J Rheumatol 38:2014-7. 2011....
- External fixation versus internal fixation for unstable distal radius fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative clinical trialsDavid H Wei
Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Trauma Training Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Orthop Trauma 26:386-94. 2012..In this systematic review and meta-analysis, we pool data from trials comparing external fixation and open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) for this injury...
- Reliable change and minimum important difference (MID) proportions facilitated group responsiveness comparisons using individual threshold criteriaJohn S Schmitt
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Mayo Mail Code 388, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:1008-18. 2004..This study contrasted the use of responsiveness indices at the group level vs. individual patient level...
- The smallest detectable difference and sensitivity to change of magnetic resonance imaging and radiographic scoring of structural joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis finger, wrist, and toe joints: a comparison of the OMERACT rheumatoid arthritis magneticBo Jannik Ejbjerg
Copenhagen University Hospitals at Hvidovre, Rigshospitalet, and Herlev, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 52:2300-6. 2005..To compare 2 magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) approaches and radiographic evaluation according to the Sharp/van der Heijde method with respect to sensitivity to change in joint destruction in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate systems of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion--Part II: shoulder, elbow, wrist and handGe Wu
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Vermont, 305 Rathwell Building, Burlington, VT, USA
J Biomech 38:981-992. 2005..Adopting these standards will lead to better communication among researchers and clinicians...
- A revolution in the management of fractures of the distal radius?N D Downing
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queen s Medical Centre Campus, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1271-5. 2008..The available evidence for adopting volar locking plates is presented and a number of important and, as yet unanswered, questions are highlighted...
- Complete 3D kinematics of upper extremity functional tasksCarolien J van Andel
MOVE Institute for Human Movement Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gait Posture 27:120-7. 2008..The results of this study could form the normative basis for the development of a 'UX analysis report' equivalent to the 'gait analysis report' and would allow for future comparisons with pediatric and/or pathologic movement patterns...
- Visual and musculoskeletal underpinnings of anchoring in rhythmic visuo-motor trackingMelvyn Roerdink
Research Institute MOVE, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, VU University, Van der Boechorststraat 9, 1081BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Exp Brain Res 184:143-56. 2008....
- Assessment by MRI of inflammation and damage in rheumatoid arthritis patients with methotrexate inadequate response receiving golimumab: results of the GO-FORWARD trialPhilip G Conaghan
Section of Musculoskeletal Disease, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, Chapel Allerton Hospital, Chapeltown Road, Leeds LS7 4SA, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1968-74. 2011..To evaluate golimumab's effect on MRI-detected inflammation and structural damage in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) despite methotrexate (MTX)...
- Understanding midcarpal instabilityDavid M Lichtman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, TX 76104, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:491-8. 2006..current designation of midcarpal instability? What are the underlying pathogenesis and pathomechanics of the disorder(s)? What are the recommended treatment options? What further research needs to be done to better answer these questions?..
- An explanation for the apparent dissociation between clinical remission and continued structural deterioration in rheumatoid arthritisA K Brown
Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, and Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:2958-67. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the long-term significance of subclinical synovitis and its relationship to structural outcome...
- UK DRAFFT - a randomised controlled trial of percutaneous fixation with kirschner wires versus volar locking-plate fixation in the treatment of adult patients with a dorsally displaced fracture of the distal radiusMatthew L Costa
Division of Health Sciences, Warwick Medical School, The University of Warwick, Coventry, CV2 2DX, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:201. 2011....
- Noninvasive technique for measuring in vivo three-dimensional carpal bone kinematicsJ J Crisco
Department of Orthopaedics, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown University, Providence 02903, USA
J Orthop Res 17:96-100. 1999..Potential applications include the quantification of normal wrist motion, analysis of pathomechanics, and evaluation of surgical intervention. The technique is also applicable to other joints and imaging modalities...
- Ultrasound imaging for the rheumatologist. XX. Sonographic assessment of hand and wrist joint involvement in rheumatoid arthritis: comparison between two- and three-dimensional ultrasonographyE Filippucci
Cattedra di Reumatologia, Universita, Politecnica delle Marche, Jesi, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 27:197-200. 2009..This study is an initial step towards establishing a methodology necessary for developing multi-centre US studies which are aimed at assessing hand involvement in patients with RA...
- Wrist joint involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. An ultrasonographic studyA Iagnocco
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Applied Clinical and Medical Therapy, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 22:621-4. 2004..To define joint alterations in the wrists of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) by ultrasonography (US)...
- Significant improvement in synovitis, osteitis, and bone erosion following golimumab and methotrexate combination therapy as compared with methotrexate alone: a magnetic resonance imaging study of 318 methotrexate-naive rheumatoid arthritis patientsMikkel Østergaard
Department of Rheumatology, Copenhagen University Hospital at Glostrup, Glostrup, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 63:3712-22. 2011..To evaluate the effects of golimumab on inflammation/structural damage detected by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Predictors of wrist function and health status after operative treatment of fractures of the distal radiusJohn Sebastiaan Souer
Hand and Upper Extremity Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:157-163. 2008....
- Effects of forearm rotation on the clinical evaluation of ulnar varianceG L Yeh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:1042-6. 2001....
- Ulnar shortening osteotomy in idiopathic ulnar impaction syndromeGoo Hyun Baek
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, South Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2649-54. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical features of idiopathic ulnar impaction syndrome and the outcomes of ulnar shortening osteotomy for this group of patients...
- The ulnar impaction syndrome: follow-up of ulnar shortening osteotomyS Chun
State University of New York, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Syracuse 13202
J Hand Surg Am 18:46-53. 1993..Complications were rare, with no ulnar nonunions. This long-term follow-up study revealed that distal ulnar shortening osteotomy is an excellent procedure for the treatment of ulnar impaction syndrome...
- Prediction of MRI erosive progression: a comparison of modern imaging modalities in early rheumatoid arthritis patientsPernille Bøyesen
Department of Rheumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Ann Rheum Dis 70:176-9. 2011..To examine the associations between modern imaging modalities and joint damage measured as 1-year MRI erosive progression, in early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients...
- Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patientJorge L Orbay
Miami Hand Center, 8905 SW 87 Avenue, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33176, USA
J Hand Surg Am 29:96-102. 2004..This report presents our experience treating distal radius fractures in the elderly population using a volar fixed-angle internal fixation plate...
- Ulnar shortening effect on distal radioulnar joint stability: a biomechanical studyMasao Nishiwaki
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 30:719-26. 2005..The degree to which the torn TFCC may be tensioned to restabilize the DRUJ with ulnar recession is uncertain. This study examined changes in the stabilizing effect of the ulnar-shortening procedure in several TFCC tear conditions...
- Early-stage rheumatoid arthritis: prospective study of the effectiveness of MR imaging for diagnosisH Sugimoto
Departments of Radiology, Division of Clinical Immunology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi ken, Japan
Radiology 216:569-75. 2000..To assess the effectiveness of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for the diagnosis of early-stage rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions: a classificationA K Palmer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse 13202
J Hand Surg Am 14:594-606. 1989..Degenerative lesions are classified by the location and severity of degenerative changes of the triangular fibrocartilage complex, ulnar head, ulnocarpal bones and lunotriquetral ligament...
- Responsiveness of the short form-36, disability of the arm, shoulder, and hand questionnaire, patient-rated wrist evaluation, and physical impairment measurements in evaluating recovery after a distal radius fractureJ C MacDermid
Hand and Upper Limb Centre, St Joseph s Health Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 25:330-40. 2000..Of the physical tests, grip strength was most responsive, followed by range of motion. Responsive patient-rating scales and physical performance evaluations can assist with outcome evaluation of patients with distal radius fracture...
- Ultrasound imaging of normal displacement of the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon within the ulnar groove in 12 forearm-wrist positionsKenneth S Lee
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 600 Highland Ave, CSC E3 311, Madison, WI 53792 3252, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:651-5. 2009..Our goal was to determine the normal variation of ECU tendon displacement in 12 forearm-wrist positions...
- Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radiusTamara D Rozental
Division of Hand Surgery, Department of Orhopedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:359-65. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine the functional outcome of patients treated with volar fixed-angle plating for dorsally displaced, unstable distal radius fractures...
- MRI bone oedema is the strongest predictor of subsequent radiographic progression in early rheumatoid arthritis. Results from a 2-year randomised controlled trial (CIMESTRA)M L Hetland
Department of Rheumatology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Ann Rheum Dis 68:384-90. 2009..To identify predictors of radiographic progression in a 2-year randomised, double-blind, clinical study (CIMESTRA) of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Comparison of external and percutaneous pin fixation with plate fixation for intra-articular distal radial fractures. A randomized studyFrankie Leung
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:16-22. 2008..Two commonly used treatment methods are external fixation combined with percutaneous pin fixation and plate fixation. We performed a prospective multicenter randomized trial to compare these two treatment strategies...
- Wrist mobilization following volar plate fixation of fractures of the distal part of the radiusSantiago A Lozano-Calderon
Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey Center, Suite 2100, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1297-304. 2008..We performed a clinical trial comparing mobilization of the wrist joint within two weeks (early motion) or at six weeks (late motion) after volar plate fixation of a fracture of the ..
- Functional outcome of en bloc excision and osteoarticular allograft replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radiusRobert M Szabo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, 95817, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1340-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to assess with validated patient outcome surveys the intermediate to long-term outcomes of all patients treated with this surgery and to analyze their functional results and document tumor control...
- Bridging external fixation and supplementary Kirschner-wire fixation versus volar locked plating for unstable fractures of the distal radius: a randomised, prospective trialK Egol
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery The New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1214-21. 2008..The function at one year was similar in the two groups. No clear advantage could be demonstrated with either treatment but fewer re-operations were required in the external fixation group...
- Diagnosis and anatomic reconstruction of extensor carpi ulnaris subluxationAllison J MacLennan
Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105 4743, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:59-64. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy of dynamic ultrasound to diagnose extensor carpi ulnaris (ECU) subluxation and assess the results of a new technique for anatomic ECU tendon sheath reconstruction...
- Assessment of distal radioulnar joint instability after distal radius fracture: comparison of computed tomography and clinical examination resultsJong Pil Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dankook University School of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
J Hand Surg Am 33:1486-92. 2008..To compare computed tomography (CT) and clinical stress test findings in terms of the assessment of distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) instability after distal radius fracture...
- Evaluation of an instrumented glove for hand-movement acquisitionLaura Dipietro
RTR Research Centre in Rehabilitation Bioengineering, INAIL Prosthetic Centre, Viareggio, LU, Italy
J Rehabil Res Dev 40:179-89. 2003..It also allows for dynamic and simultaneous recording of hand-joint movements. Future work will investigate accuracy of measurements...
- A ceramic prosthesis for the treatment of tumours of the distal radiusH Hatano
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Niigata Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1656-8. 2006..This method of treatment results in little pain, a moderate range of movement and satisfactory function...
- Biaxial total-wrist arthroplastyT K Cobb
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Hand Surg Am 21:1011-21. 1996..The Kaplan-Meier probability of survival free of revision was 83% at last follow-up evaluation..
- Do radiographic indices of distal radius fracture reduction predict outcomes in older adults receiving conservative treatment?J L Jaremko
Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin Radiol 62:65-72. 2007..To investigate whether radiographic deformities suggesting inadequate reduction would be associated with adverse clinical outcomes...
- Total modular wrist prosthesis: a new designZulfiquar Omar Rahimtoola
Department of Orthopaedics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 38:160-5. 2004..We present the design of the prosthesis including the preliminary clinical and radiographic results after a mean follow-up of 20 months in 32 patients of whom four have had earlier implants revised...
- Reliability and sensitivity of joint space measurements in hand radiographs using computerized image analysisJ Angwin
GlaxoSmithKline, Harlow, UK
J Rheumatol 28:1825-36. 2001..Work is required to establish whether the joint space change measured from serial radiographs of patients with arthritis over a period of 6-12 mo exceeds the detectable limits of change derived in this study...
- Sonography of the scapholunate ligament in four cadaveric wrists: correlation with MR arthrography and anatomyJon A Jacobson
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0326, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:523-7. 2002..The objective of our study was to sonographically characterize the dorsal aspect of the scapholunate ligament in cadaveric wrists using arthrography, MR arthrography, and anatomic correlation as the gold standard...
- Muscle moment arm and normalized moment contributions as reference data for musculoskeletal elbow and wrist joint modelsJohn W Ramsay
Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering, LeTourneau University, 2100 Mobberly Avenue, Longview, TX 75602, USA
J Biomech 42:463-73. 2009..We believe these data serve as a simple, yet comprehensive, reference for how the primary 16 muscles across the elbow and wrist contribute to joint moment and overall joint performance...
- Four-dimensional real-time cine images of wrist joint kinematics using dual source CT with minimal time increment scanningYoon Seong Choi
Department of Radiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 50 Yonsei ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 54:1026-32. 2013To validate the feasibility of real time kinematography with four-dimensional (4D) dynamic functional wrist joint imaging using dual source CT.
- Carpal instabilityR Schmitt
Herz und Gefässklinik GmbH, Institut für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie, Salzburger Leite 1, 97616, Bad Neustadt an der Saale, Germany
Eur Radiol 16:2161-78. 2006..To prevent individual and socio-economic implications, the hand surgeon or orthopedist, as well as the radiologist, is challenged for early and precise diagnosis...
- Bone oedema predicts erosive progression on wrist MRI in early RA--a 2-yr observational MRI and NC scintigraphy studyKari Palosaari
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Oulu University Hospital, Kajaanintie 50, FIN 90029, Box 50, Oulu, Finland
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:1542-8. 2006..To investigate if disease assessment by contrast-enhanced dynamic and static magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and quantitative nanocolloid (NC) scintigraphy gives useful additional information in early rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Analysis of viscoelastic properties of wrist joint for quantification of parkinsonian rigidityByung Kyu Park
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 19:167-76. 2011..Severity of rigidity at the wrist was rated by a neurologist just before the experiment. Wrist joint torque resistive to the imposed movement was measured...
- Five to ten-year outcomes of the Universal total wrist arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritisChristina M Ward
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:914-9. 2011....
- Distal radius instability and stiffness: common complications of distal radius fracturesWilliam B Kleinman
The Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, 8501 Harcourt Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
Hand Clin 26:245-64. 2010..This article also points out how stiffness of forearm rotation can result from a well-treated distal radius fracture and how this complication can be treated to restore healthy upper limb function...
- Development and validation of a computed tomography-based methodology to measure carpal kinematicsJamie Pfaeffle
Musculoskeletal Imaging and Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Biomech Eng 127:541-8. 2005..The use of commercially available software should broaden the access of researchers interested in measuring carpal kinematics using medical imaging...
- Ulnar-sided wrist pain. II. Clinical imaging and treatmentAtsuya Watanabe
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Skeletal Radiol 39:837-57. 2010....
- Magnetic resonance imaging in rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials: emerging patterns based on recent experienceCharles G Peterfy
Spire Sciences, LLC, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Rheumatol 38:2023-30. 2011..In this study, we pool MRI data from randomized controlled clinical trails (RCT) to determine which combination of MCP and wrist joints are most sensitive and discriminative for structural changes over time...
- Dynamics of intracarpal tunnel pressure in patients with carpal tunnel syndromeBen C Goss
Hand Biomechanics Lab, Inc, Sacramento, CA 95825, USA
J Hand Surg Am 35:197-206. 2010....
- Ultrasound assessment of transverse carpal ligament thickness: a validity and reliability studyZhilei Liu Shen
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 38:982-8. 2012..93-2.34 (1.54 ± 0.33) mm and agreed well with previous studies. The ultrasound method developed in this study is a valuable tool to examine morphologic properties of healthy and pathologic TCLs...
- Carpal tunnel and transverse carpal ligament stiffness with changes in wrist posture and indenter sizeMichael W R Holmes
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
J Orthop Res 29:1682-7. 2011..The complexity of the TCL makes it an important part of the carpal tunnel and the mechanical properties found are essential to understanding mechanisms of carpal tunnel syndrome. ..
- High rate of complications and radiographic loosening of the biaxial total wrist arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis: 32 wrists followed for 6 (5–8) yearsDjoeke van Harlingen
Department of Orthopaedics, Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 82:721-6. 2011..We present the outcome of the biaxial total wrist prosthesis (no longer available) after 5-8 years of follow-up...
- Four-dimensional computed tomographic imaging in the wrist: proof of feasibility in a cadaveric modelShian Chao Tay
Orthopedics Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Skeletal Radiol 36:1163-9. 2007..The purpose of this work was to assess the feasibility of using retrospectively gated spiral computed tomography (CT) to perform four-dimensional (4D) imaging of the moving wrist joint.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the wrist and finger joints in patients with inflammatory joint diseasesA Savnik
Parker Institute, Department of Rheumatology, Frederiksberg Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Rheumatol 28:2193-200. 2001....
- Dynamic CT technique for assessment of wrist joint instabilitiesShuai Leng
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Med Phys 38:S50. 2011..a 4D [three-dimensional (3D) + time] CT technique to capture high spatial and temporal resolution images of wrist joint motion so that dynamic joint instabilities can be detected before the development of static joint instability ..
- Carpal instability non-dissociativeT W Wright
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
J Hand Surg Br 19:763-73. 1994..This accounts for the unpredictable results of treatment. As our understanding of the pathomechanics of CIND improves, the treatment will become more specific and the results should improve...
- The hysteresis effect in carpal kinematicsSunjay Berdia
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:594-600. 2006..We describe an accurate methodology for analyzing the hysteresis effect and we apply this model to analyze the effect of sequential ligament sectioning on scapholunate instability...
- Damping of the wrist joint during voluntary movementT E Milner
Institut de Réadaptation de Montréal, Canada
Exp Brain Res 122:309-17. 1998..It is suggested that this property helps to offset a negative contribution to damping from the stretch reflex...
- Radiographic hand joint space width assessed by computer is a sensitive measure of change in early rheumatoid arthritisJane Angwin
GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
J Rheumatol 31:1050-61. 2004..To compare changes in the computerized measurement of radiographic hand joint space width (JSW) to changes in modified Sharp scores in a retrospective 2-year study of early rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Prospective study of a new total wrist arthroplasty: short term resultsG Herzberg
Hôpital Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, Lyon Cedex 03, France
Chir Main 30:20-5. 2011..Longer follow-up is needed to validate these early results...
- Ulnar styloid impaction syndromeS M Topper
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Colorado Springs, USA
J Hand Surg Am 22:699-704. 1997..Details of the diagnosis of this condition, including a new provocative test, and operative management are discussed...
- Three-dimensional computed tomography imaging: its applicability in the evaluation of extensor tendons in the hand and wristToru Sunagawa
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:94-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine whether 3-dimensional (3D) computed tomography (CT) imaging with volume rendering can accurately evaluate extensor tendons in the hand and wrist...
- Optimised, low cost, low field dedicated extremity MRI is highly specific and sensitive for synovitis and bone erosions in rheumatoid arthritis wrist and finger joints: comparison with conventional high field MRI and radiographyB J Ejbjerg
Department of Rheumatology, Copenhagen University Hospital at Hvidovre, Kettegaard Alle 30, 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1280-7. 2005..To evaluate a low field dedicated extremity MRI unit for detection of bone erosions, synovitis, and bone marrow oedema in wrist and metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joints, with a high field MRI unit as the standard reference...
- The EULAR-OMERACT rheumatoid arthritis MRI reference image atlas: the wrist jointB Ejbjerg
Department of Rheumatology, Copenhagen University Hospital at Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Rheum Dis 64:i23-47. 2005This paper presents the wrist joint MR images of the EULAR-OMERACT rheumatoid arthritis MRI reference image atlas...
- A multicenter reliability study of extremity-magnetic resonance imaging in the longitudinal evaluation of rheumatoid arthritisPhilip G Conaghan
Academic Unit of Musculoskeletal Disease, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Rheumatol 34:857-8. 2007..Overall, E-MRI demonstrated ability to detect change comparable to that reported for high-field MRI for erosion and synovitis...
- Carpal kinematicsMichael J Gardner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
Hand Clin 22:413-20; abstract v. 2006..However, an accurate three-dimensional understanding of carpal motion is critical for academic and clinical purposes, and may play an important role in assessing surgical procedures or rehabilitation protocols...
- 4D rotational x-ray imaging of wrist joint dynamic motionBart Carelsen
Department of Medical Physics, Academic Medical Center, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Med Phys 32:2771-6. 2005..This involves several x-ray modalities and sophisticated 2D to 3D matching for the complex wrist joint. We present a method for the acquisition of dynamic 3D images of a moving joint...
- The effect of electro-acupuncture on spasticity of the wrist joint in chronic stroke survivorsMukul Mukherjee
Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7601, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:159-66. 2007To quantitatively assess the change in spasticity of the impaired wrist joint in chronic stroke patients after electro-acupuncture treatment.
- [Osteoid osteoma of the wrist joint resembling tenosynovitis]Gershon Volpin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Western Galilee Hospital, Nahariya, Israel
Harefuah 145:885-8, 942-3. 2006Osteoid osteoma of bones of the wrist joint is a relatively rare lesion. This article presents a series of three patients, one with osteoid osteoma of the styloid process of the radius and two with osteoid osteoma of the capitate bone...
- Long-term subjective and radiological outcome after reconstruction of Kienböck's disease stage 3 treated by a free vascularized iliac bone graftRohit Arora
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Hand Surg Am 33:175-81. 2008..The purpose of this study is to report the over-10-year results and to compare them with the 5-year results to determine whether the favorable intermediate-term results were maintained...
- Ulnar styloid fractures associated with distal radius fractures: incidence and implications for distal radioulnar joint instabilityMegan M May
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
J Hand Surg Am 27:965-71. 2002..A fracture at the ulnar styloid's base and significant displacement of an ulnar styloid fracture were found to increase the risk of distal radioulnar joint instability...
- The use of the 4 + 5 extensor compartmental vascularized bone graft for the treatment of Kienböck's diseaseSteven L Moran
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Division of Hand Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Hand Surg Am 30:50-8. 2005..This study examines our experience with the use of the 4 + 5 extensor compartmental artery (ECA) bone graft for the treatment of Kienböck's disease...
- Long-term results of KienbÃ¶ck's disease treated by triscaphe arthrodesis and excisional arthroplasty with a coiled palmaris longus tendonA Minami
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 19:219-28. 1994..Two of these five patients had subsequent wrist arthrodesis. We conclude that stage IIIB is a specific indication for scaphotrapeziotrapezoidal arthrodesis...
- An electrode configuration technique using an electrode matrix arrangement for FES-based upper arm rehabilitation systemsS B O'Dwyer
Biomedical Electronics Laboratory, Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, University of Limerick, Ireland
Med Eng Phys 28:166-76. 2006..The results show a high variation in hand response across different subjects. In addition, for all subjects tested an ideal response was found which shows some justification for the use of the proposed technique...
- Treatment of advanced-stage Kienböck's disease with proximal row carpectomy: an average 15-year follow-upBoyd C Lumsden
Hand and Upper Extremity Center of Northeast Wisconsin, Appleton, WI, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:493-502. 2008....
- Scapholunate advanced collapse and scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse arthritis--update on evaluation and treatmentRobert J Strauch
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Hand Surg Am 36:729-35. 2011..Controversy persists over the relative merits of PRC versus 4-corner arthrodesis and whether PRC may be performed in the setting of capitate arthritis...
- Relation between median and ulnar nerve function and wrist kinematics during wheelchair propulsionMichael L Boninger
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Human Engineering Research Laboratories, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh and VA Pittsburgh Health Care System, 7180 Highland Drive, 151R 1, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1141-5. 2004..To investigate the relation between median and ulnar nerve health and wrist kinematics in wheelchair users...
- Age estimation from root development of mandibular third molars in comparison with skeletal age of wrist jointVrinda J Bhat
Forensic Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 28:238-41. 2007..Depending on the exact stage of root development as seen in the radiograph, the chronologic age was determined. This method sheds a new light on determining the ages of 15, 16, and 18 years, which has an immense medicolegal bearing...
- Treatment of Kienbock's disease with capitohamate arthrodesis: pain relief with minimal morbidityScott N Oishi
Department of Hand Surgery, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, Texas 75219, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:1293-300. 2002..The authors conclude that capitohamate arthrodesis relieves pain in 93 percent of patients with stage 1, 2, or 3 Kienbock's disease and is an effective treatment for this disease...
- Incidence of ligament lesions and associated degenerative changes in the elderly wristT W Wright
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610
J Hand Surg Am 19:313-8. 1994..These ligament defects occur as a process of aging and behave in a manner quite different from traumatic lesions of these same structures in the younger population...
- Wrist motion in handrim wheelchair propulsionH E Veeger
Institute of Fundamental and Clinical Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
J Rehabil Res Dev 35:305-13. 1998..population is the movement pattern of the wrist during handrim wheelchair propulsion, which could include large wrist joint angles and wrist/finger flexor activity...
- Lunate silicone replacement arthroplasty in KienbÃ¶ck's disease: a long-term follow-upA H Alexander
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Naval Hospital, Oakland, CA 94627 5000
J Hand Surg Am 15:401-7. 1990....
- Quantification of colour Doppler activity in the wrist in patients with rheumatoid arthritis--the reliability of different methods for image selection and evaluationK Ellegaard
The Parker Institute, Frederiksberg Hospital
Ultraschall Med 29:393-8. 2008..This study investigated the test-retest reliability of ultrasound colour Doppler measurements in the wrist of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) using different selection and quantification methods...
- Low-profile dorsal plating for dorsally angulated distal radius fractures: an outcomes studyAtul F Kamath
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1061-7. 2006..This study evaluated the functional outcome of dorsal plating for dorsally angulated distal radius fractures at a single institution...
- Clinical results of treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears by arthroscopic debridementA Minami
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 21:406-11. 1996..Good results correlated with grip strength; all patients with post-traumatic TFCC tears had excellent results, while those with degenerative TFCC tears did poorly...
- Palmar plate fixation of AO type C2 fracture of distal radius using a locking compression plate--a biomechanical study in a cadaveric modelF Leung
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Hand Surg Br 28:263-6. 2003..The results show that, under 100N axial load, the palmar locking compression T-plate restores stability comparable to that of the intact radius, and is superior to conventional palmar or dorsal T-plates...
- Arthroscopic treatment of ulnar impaction syndromeKyle D Bickel
Division of Plastic Surgery, UCSF School of Medicine, The Hand Center of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:1420-3. 2008..It affords a single-stage, minimally invasive approach, with similar efficacy and fewer complications than open wafer resection or ulnar shortening osteotomy...
- Ulnar-shortening effect on distal radioulnar joint pressure: a biomechanical studyMasao Nishiwaki
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 33:198-205. 2008..This study aimed to examine the changes in pressure at the DRUJ by simulating the ulnar-shortening procedure in intact and torn states of the triangular fibrocartilage complex...
- Ulnar-sided wrist pain: evaluation and treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears, ulnocarpal impaction syndrome, and lunotriquetral ligament tearsKavi Sachar
Hand Surgery Associates, Denver, CO 80210, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:1669-79. 2008..Common causes of ulnar-sided wrist pain include triangular fibrocartilage complex injuries, lunotriquetral ligament injuries, and ulnar impaction syndrome...
- Ulna shortening osteotomy using a compression deviceNeal C Chen
Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Hand Surg Am 28:88-93. 2003..To report the functional and radiographic outcomes of a cohort of patients treated for ulnar impaction syndrome with a single technique of ulnar shortening osteotomy...
- Radiographic study on the pattern of wrist joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritisTakashi Kitamura
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Clin Rheumatol 30:353-9. 2011When planning therapy for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the wrist joint, knowing the pattern of joint destruction is important. There were a few studies using the Larsen and modified Larsen method to evaluate RA wrist joint destruction...
- External fixation for the treatment of intra-articular fractures of the distal radius: short-term resultsMaruan Haddad
Department of Orthopedic Surgery A, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 12:406-9. 2010..There is controversy as to which is the preferred treatment for distal radius intra-articular fractures--anatomic reduction or external fixation...
- Quantitative Assessment of Dynamic Joint Instabilities Using 4D CT ImagingKRISTIN DAIGLE ZHAO; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Clinical techniques to diagnose abnormal wrist joint motion are highly subjective and have a high false positive rate...
- The Clinical Role of Wrist Joint MechanoreceptorsRichard Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research project will characterize the populations of mechanoreceptors in the wrist joint capsule associated with the anterior and posterior interosseous nerves...
- Physiological and biomechanical analyses of Parkinsonian rigidityRuiping Xia; Fiscal Year: 2009..of rigidity during imposed wrist flexion and extension movements by quantifying measured torque of the wrist joint. Aim 2 is to assess the relative contribution of reflex responses in wrist flexor and extensor muscles to the ..
- ARTIFICIAL HAND FOR LIMB DEFICIENT CHILDREN, 2-8 YRS OLDERNEST MEADOWS; Fiscal Year: 1999..Until released by moving the wrist joint built into the hand, the "fingers" remain tightly grasping the object being held...
- Becoming a member of the CPCRN-for prostatitisRichard Berger; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, the same multidisciplinary focus and experience will allow us the flexibility to design and carry out ancillary studies, which will fit with the overall plan of the CPCRN. ..
- Carpal Kinematics During Functional TasksJoseph Crisco; Fiscal Year: 2008..Understanding how the carpus and distal forearm function is crucial to reducing work-related upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders. ..
- NORMAL AND ABNORMAL IN VIVO CARPAL BONE MOTIONJoseph Crisco; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal is to generate information that will improve the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of wrist injury. ..
- 3-D Multi-Articular Models of the CarpusJoseph Crisco; Fiscal Year: 2009..These discoveries will lead to new treatments for wrist disease and trauma, which affect men and women of all ages, and account for significant medical expenses and lost productivity each year. ..
- Finite element modeling of Colles' fracturesKAREN TROY; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Direct Determination of Lower Extremity of Muscle DesignRichard Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2009..This data, once available to the biomechanical community will propel this field to the next level and enable development of meaningful new surgical procedures and objective methods of evaluating human musculoskeletal function. ..
- INTRAOPERATIVE MEASUREMENT IN CEREBRAL PALSY SURGERYRichard Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, these data will be relevant to management of other disorders such as stroke, head injury and spinal cord injury, where surgical tendon transfers are performed. ..
- Skeletal Muscle Injury: Mechanism Prevention & TreatmentRichard Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies not only provide insights into the damage mechanism, but also shed light on important structure-function relationships in normal muscle. ..
- Upper Extremity Dynamics During KeyingJack Tigh Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2010..These biomechanical studies are a critical step in testing the effectiveness of these interventions for reducing work-related musculoskeletal disorders ..
- The effect of alternative keyboards on discomfort and typing kinematicsNancy A Baker; Fiscal Year: 2010..The effectiveness of alternative keyboards must be verified to ensure that they are providing interventions that will reduce musculoskeletal pain/discomfort and potentially prevent MSD-UE. ..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Effect of tool design on hand pain in dental practiionersDavid M Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2010..This randomized controlled study will deterimine if dentists or dental hygienists who use such a tool report less hand and arm pain compared to those who continue to use the conventional tool design. ..
- Prevalence and Treatment of Hypovitaminosis D in RAKaren Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Acute Rotator Cuff Tendon Changes Associated with Wheelchair PropulsionMichael Boninger; Fiscal Year: 2008..This type of information is critical to appropriate selection of interventions in subsequent controlled trials. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The utility of rTMS to enhance hand function in strokeGwyn Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will be applicable to a large population of US adults with deficits in hand function resulting from stroke. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Wheelchair Propulsion TrainingMichael Boninger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Minimizing cadence and maximizing push angle during wheelchair propulsion may help to minimize injuries and could be the first step in an interventional trial to reduce arm pain in SCI. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bilateral activation in upper-limb stroke rehabilitationGwyn Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Learning to reach: Control of limb dynamics in infancyJames Galloway; Fiscal Year: 2005..This project will provide the foundation data for a larger study of the effects of early training on the development of reaching in very young infants at risk for developing coordination disorders such as cerebral palsy. ..
- Biomechanical Evaluation of Provocative Tests for Superior Glenohumeral Labrum LeMICHELLE SABICK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study is aimed at improving diagnosis of musculoskeletal injury while reducing medical costs by eliminating expensive, invasive, and often unnecessary tests. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New MRI Sequences/RF Coils for Hand Psoriatic ArthritisWINGCHI KWOK; Fiscal Year: 2005..This technology will allow us to start the clinical evaluation of the disease mechanism and the long-term effect of early treatment. ..
- Developing an Instrument to Measure Keyboarding StyleNancy Baker; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will be integrated into the final tool, the PECKS. The PECKS can then be used to identify an individual who have keyboarding...styles that have been associated with MSD-UE. ..
- RESPIRATION AND GLYCOLYSIS--INTEGRATION IN ACTIVE MUSCLEKevin Conley; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., diabetes. An understanding of the integration of metabolism in healthy tissue is the first step to understanding how failure of integration limits function in diseased muscle. ..
- OptiPush Wheelchair Training SystemW Richter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Pre- and post-training evaluations will include exercise capacity, propulsion strength, propulsion efficiency and propulsion biomechanics testing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 31P/1H MRI Measurement of Bone MineralizationYaotang Wu; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The Effect of Proximal and Distal Training on Stroke RecoveryHERMANO KREBS; Fiscal Year: 2008..A third group will be trained on the shoulder, elbow, and wrist simultaneously. Outcomes will be measured using standard instruments as well as robot-based measures. ..
- ErgoChair Smart Manual WheelchairW Richter; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will develop innovative technology that will dramatically improve the ergonomics of wheelchair transfers and lifting tasks. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interactions of Biomechanics and Psychosocial Stressors and MSDs in the Modern OfJack Tigh Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will influence work place design and policies through the development of new evidence-based interventions. ..
- Tools for exposure assessment of physical risk factorsJack Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2007..Technology transfers include potential software products for computer users to monitor their own work patterns. ..
- B CELL SPECIFICITY IN HEPATIC LYMPHOID FOLLICLESS Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Predictors of Treatment Response in Early Aggressive RAS Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC PREDICTORS OF RESPONSE TO TREATMENT IN EARLY RAS Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- A model for wrist and elbow musculoskeletal disordersDavid Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- EFFECTS OF AN ERGONOMIC INTERVENTION FOR COMPUTER WORKDavid Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2002..5SD) of the pain severity-week score. The total cost of implementing the intervention will be estimated. The findings and recommendations will be disseminated statewide in cooperation with the California Department of Health Services. ..
- Collaborative Study:Workplace Musculoskeletal DisordersDavid Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study methods, instruments, and data format will be coordinated with the NIOSH Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders Consortium. ..
- TENDON FORCE DURING OCCUPATIONAL HAND ACTIVITIESDavid Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed study is a collaborative effort between the University of California Ergonomics Program (UCSF), Hand and Microsurgery (UCSP), Mechanical Engineering (UC Berkeley), and the Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute. ..