Genomes and Genes
Summary: The articulation between the head of one phalanx and the base of the one distal to it, in each finger.
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- The arthropathy of systemic sclerosis: a 12 month prospective clinical and imaging studyGiovanni La Montagna
Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Internistica, Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Unità Operativa di Reumatologia, Seconda Universita di Napoli, 80131 Naples, Italy
Skeletal Radiol 34:35-41. 2005..To assess the clinical and radiological features of systemic sclerosis (SSc) joint involvement in a prospective cross-sectional study...
- Development of a finger biomechanical model and its considerationsKim Seng Fok
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
J Biomech 43:701-13. 2010..The feasibility of the proposed methodology was deemed satisfactory as the simulated results were concordant with in-vivo results for the extrinsic flexors...
- Three-dimensional diffuse optical tomography of osteoarthritis: initial results in the finger jointsZhen Yuan
University of Florida, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Gainesville, Florida 32611 6131, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:034001. 2007..The results of this pilot study show potential for quantitative imaging and diagnosis of early OA by DOT...
- First assessment of three-dimensional quantitative photoacoustic tomography for in vivo detection of osteoarthritis in the finger jointsYao Sun
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Med Phys 38:4009-17. 2011..The purpose of this pilot clinical study is to assess three-dimensional (3-D) quantitative photoacoustic tomography (qPAT) for in vivo detection of osteoarthritis (OA) in the finger joints...
- Predictors of functional impairment and pain in erosive osteoarthritis of the interphalangeal joints: comparison with controlled inflammatory arthritisRuth Wittoek
University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 64:1430-6. 2012....
- Prospective two year follow up study comparing novel and conventional imaging procedures in patients with arthritic finger jointsM Backhaus
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 61:895-904. 2002..Additionally, to study the course of soft tissue lesions depicted in the initial study in comparison with the clinical findings...
- Speed invariance of independent control of finger movements in pianistsShinichi Furuya
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Neurophysiol 108:2060-8. 2012..Strong temporal constraints on finger movements during piano playing may underlie the maintained independent control of fingers over a wider range of tempi, a feature being likely to be specific to skilled pianists...
- Interrater reliability in finger joint goniometer measurement in Dupuytren's diseaseChristina Engstrand
Department of Hand Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Burns, Rehab Unit Floor 09, Linkoping University Hospital, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Am J Occup Ther 66:98-103. 2012..The results indicate that following these standardized guidelines, the interrater reliability of goniometer measurements is high for digital ROM in people with Dupuytren's disease...
- Radiographic prognosis of finger joint damage predicted by early alteration in synovial vascularity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Potential utility of power doppler sonography in clinical practiceJun Fukae
Hokkaido Medical Center for Rheumatic Diseases, Sapporo, Japan
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63:1247-53. 2011To investigate the relationship between synovial vascularity and progression of structural bone damage in each finger joint in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and to demonstrate synovial vascularity as a potential therapeutic ..
- Heterozygous mutations in the gene encoding noggin affect human joint morphogenesisY Gong
Department of Genetics and Center for Human Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Nat Genet 21:302-4. 1999..The findings reported here confirm that NOG is essential for joint formation and suggest that NOG requirements during skeletogenesis differ between species and between specific skeletal elements within species...
- Structural and inflammatory sonographic findings in erosive and non-erosive osteoarthritis of the interphalangeal finger jointsRuth Wittoek
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Gent, De Pintelaan, Gent, Belgium
Ann Rheum Dis 69:2173-6. 2010....
- Osteoarthritis of the peripheral jointsIngemar F Petersson
Spenshult Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, S 313 92, Oskarström, Sweden
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 16:741-60. 2002..Furthermore, methods of diagnosing and delineating clinically relevant forms of OA, now and in the future, are presented as well as current knowledge of the risk factors for developing and the factors for preventing OA...
- Doppler ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging of synovial inflammation of the hand in rheumatoid arthritis: a comparative studyL Terslev
The Parker Institute, Frederiksberg Hospital, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 48:2434-41. 2003....
- Noninvasive photoacoustic tomography of human peripheral joints toward diagnosis of inflammatory arthritisXueding Wang
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Opt Lett 32:3002-4. 2007..As a novel technology with unique advantages, PAT holds promise for early diagnosis of inflammatory joint disorders and accurate monitoring of disease progression and response to therapy...
- Inflammatory osteoarthritis of the handLeonardo Punzi
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 24:301-12. 2010..Thus, it is probably preferable to use the double term inflammatory/erosive to better define this particular subset of HOA...
- Sagittal laser optical tomography for imaging of rheumatoid finger jointsAndreas H Hielscher
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Phys Med Biol 49:1147-63. 2004..We have used this system to obtain tomographic images of six proximal interphalangeal finger joints from two patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The optical images were compared to clinical symptoms and ultrasound images...
- Joint kinematics simulation from medical imaging dataS Van Sint Jan
Department for Human Anatomy and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brussels, Belgium
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 44:1175-84. 1997..A full complement of interactive tools (virtual dials and buttons controlled via mouse) was used to enhance the user interface. The development of the system, the model and the advantages and disadvantages of the method are discussed...
- Closing in on the neural mechanisms of finger joint angle sense. Focus on "Quantitative analysis of dynamic strain sensitivity in human skin mechanoreceptors"Kenneth Johnson
J Neurophysiol 92:3167-8. 2004
- Change of synovial vascularity in a single finger joint assessed by power doppler sonography correlated with radiographic change in rheumatoid arthritis: comparative study of a novel quantitative score with a semiquantitative scoreJun Fukae
Tokeidai Memorial Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:657-63. 2010To investigate the relationship between synovial vascularity assessed by quantitative power Doppler sonography (PDS) and progression of structural bone damage in a single finger joint in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Reverse engineering finger extensor apparatus morphology from measured coupled interphalangeal joint angle trajectories - a generic 2D kinematic modelJ N A L Leijnse
Department of Biomedical, Electro and Mechanical Systems, Ecole Polytechnique, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
J Biomech 45:569-78. 2012..These accuracies suggest the model reflects real functional EA principles, with potential applications in biomechanical modeling, surgical reconstruction, rehabilitation, and prosthetic EA replacements...
- Morphology of the interphalangeal joint surface and its functional relevanceClemens Dumont
Department of Trauma Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 33:9-18. 2008..To study and to clarify the curvature morphology of the articular surfaces of the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint and to relate joint morphology and joint kinematics...
- Physiological functions of the human fingerC Dumont
Department of Trauma Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Gottingen, Germany
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:69-74. 2008..data describing the physiological curvature morphology of the corresponding articulating surfaces in each finger joint, it is shown that a) the flexion of each finger joint is described by two angles of flexion; b) in each finger ..
- Kinematic evaluation of the finger's interphalangeal joints coupling mechanism--variability, flexion-extension differences, triggers, locking swanneck deformities, anthropometric correlationsJ N A L Leijnse
Biomechanics Research Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Speed School of Engineering, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
J Biomech 43:2381-93. 2010..The data as a whole provide the most comprehensive collection of interphalangeal joint trajectories for clinical reference and model validation known to us to date...
- Validity of pulp-to-palm distance as a measure of finger flexionJ C MacDermid
Hand and Upper Limb Centre Clinical Research Laboratory, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Br 26:432-5. 2001..Further methodological evaluation is required to support the use of pulp-to-palm distance measures as an outcome indicator...
- Interrater and intrarater reliability of finger goniometric measurementsErika Lewis
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Health and Environment, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854, USA
Am J Occup Ther 64:555-61. 2010..24 to .95, with passive measures lower than active measures. These results provide clinicians with evidence for using this specific goniometer and issues associated with various therapists assessing finger ROM...
- Arthroplasty of the proximal interphalangeal joint using costal cartilage graftsT Hasegawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kawasaki Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 17:583-5. 1992..The technique is a useful alternative to other forms of arthroplasty or arthrodesis, and can provide satisfactory functional results when there is a partial defect of the head of the proximal phalanx...
- Visual estimation of finger angles: do we need goniometers?V Rose
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Queen Victoria Hospital, Holtye Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 3DZ, UK
J Hand Surg Br 27:382-4. 2002..Although visual accuracy improves with experience, it is still an inaccurate technique. We, therefore, recommend that goniometers should be used for measuring angles in hand surgery patients...
- Identification of a novel NOG gene mutation (P35S) in an Italian family with symphalangismM Mangino
C S S Mendel Institute and University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Hum Mutat 19:308. 2002..Therefore, this codon should play an important role in NOG gene function. This is the first mutation described for NOG after the initial report of NOG mutations being causative of SYM...
- Ultrasonography of the metacarpophalangeal and proximal interphalangeal joints in rheumatoid arthritis: a comparison with magnetic resonance imaging, conventional radiography and clinical examinationMarcin Szkudlarek
Department of Rheumatology, University of Copenhagen Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegard Alle 30, 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R52. 2006..This study shows that ultrasonography has the potential to improve assessment of patients with RA...
- Symphalangism in Hawaii: a study of three distinct ethnic pedigreesS A Gaal
Department of Surgery, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu
J Hand Surg Am 13:783-7. 1988..Surgical intervention in the hands is seldom, if ever, indicated but correction of the associated hearing loss is rewarding...
- Visual and computer software-aided estimates of Dupuytren's contractures: correlation with clinical goniometric measurementsR P Smith
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Glenfield Hospital, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 91:296-300. 2009..This is performed in clinic with a goniometer, pre- and postoperatively. Monitoring the recurrence of the contracture can inform on surgical outcome, research and audit...
- Localization of the gene (SYM1) for proximal symphalangism to human chromosome 17q21-q22M H Polymeropoulos
National Center for Human Genome Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genomics 27:225-9. 1995..We have established linkage for this disorder to markers on chromosome 17 (17q21-q22), with Zmax = 6.98 at theta = 0.05 with marker D17S790...
- A method to score radiographic change in psoriatic arthritisS Wassenberg
Evangelisches Fachkrankenhaus Rheumaklinik Rosenstrasse 2 40882 Ratingen
Z Rheumatol 60:156-66. 2001..CONCLUSION: We propose a method for scoring radiographic change in psoriatic arthritis which reliably quantifies the progression of the disease seen on radiographs...
- Finger joint reconstruction with costal osteochondral graftKazuki Sato
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 12:150-5. 2008Cartilage disorders of the finger joint may influence hand function. Loss of integrity of the finger joint may severely compromise its stability and may lead to degenerative arthritis...
- Development of finger-motion capturing device based on optical linear encoderKang Li
Robotics Research Centre, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
J Rehabil Res Dev 48:69-82. 2011..A user study evaluated the SmartGlove using a standard protocol and found high repeatability and reliability in both the gripped and flat-hand positions compared with four other evaluated data gloves using the same protocol...
- The motion analysis system and goniometry of the finger jointsH Y Chiu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Hand Surg Br 23:788-91. 1998..The advantages of using the motion analysis system is that it can record and show the changes in angle of all finger joints continuously during finger motion...
- The accuracy of goniometric measurements of proximal interphalangeal joints in fresh cadavers: comparison between methods of measurement, types of goniometers, and fingersMasami Kato
Department of Rehabilitation, Sapporo Medical University Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Ther 20:12-8; quiz 19. 2007..We recommend use of the lateral method with any of the three goniometers for measurement of PIP range of motion. Goniometers with short arms are considered to be suitable for the dorsal method...
- A method of two-dimensional measurement for evaluating finger motion impairment. A description of the method and comparison with angular measurementH Y Chiu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Hand Surg Br 20:691-5. 1995..The drawback of the two-dimensional method is that it is more difficult to use than the conventional method...
- Lateral digital photography with computer-aided goniometry versus standard goniometry for recording finger joint anglesG A Georgeu
Plastic Surgery Department, West Norwich Hospital, Norwich, UK
J Hand Surg Br 27:184-6. 2002This study compares the accuracy of computer-aided goniometry with standard goniometry. 109 finger joint angles at the extremes of flexion and extension were measured by a senior hand therapist using standard goniometry...
- Reliability and validity of the delta finger-to-palm (FTP), a new measure of finger range of motion in systemic sclerosisKathryn S Torok
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Rheumatology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:S28-36. 2010....
- Positive synovial vascularity in patients with low disease activity indicates smouldering inflammation leading to joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis: time-integrated joint inflammation estimated by synovial vascularity in each finger jointJun Fukae
Hokkaido Medical Center for Rheumatic Diseases, 1 45, 3 Chome, 1 Jo, Kotoni, Nishi ku, Sapporo 063 0811, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:523-8. 2013To investigate the relationship between synovial vascularity and joint damage progression in each finger joint of patients with RA under low disease activity during treatment with biologic agents.
- Multiple osteochondral autograft transfer to the proximal interphalangeal joint: case reportTuna Ozyurekoglu
Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center, CM Kleinert Institute for Hand and Microsurgery, Department of Surgery, Division of Hand Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Hand Surg Am 35:931-5. 2010..0 mm were applied to the defects and congruency was restored. We confirmed vascularity of the grafts by magnetic resonance. The boy returned to full sports activities. No signs of arthritis were seen at 4-year follow-up radiographs...
- Computer-aided joint space analysis of the metacarpal-phalangeal and proximal-interphalangeal finger joint: normative age-related and gender-specific dataAlexander Pfeil
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, 07747 Jena, Germany
Skeletal Radiol 36:853-64. 2007..and computer-aided diagnostic system for the measurement of metacarpal-phalangeal and proximal-interphalangeal finger joint widths; additionally, the determination of sex differences and the investigation of changes in joint width with ..
- Prevalence and pattern of radiographic hand osteoarthritis and association with pain and disability (the Rotterdam study)S Dahaghin
Department of General Practice, Room Ff 325, Erasmus Medical Centre, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:682-7. 2005..To investigate the prevalence and pattern of radiographic osteoarthritis (ROA) of the hand joints and its association with self reported hand pain and disability...
- A novel ultrasonographic synovitis scoring system suitable for analyzing finger joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritisAlexander K Scheel
Georg August University Gottingen, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 52:733-43. 2005To develop an ultrasonographic (US) synovitis scoring system suitable for evaluation of finger joint inflammation in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and to compare semiquantitative US scoring with quantitative US ..
- Interobserver reliability of rheumatologists performing musculoskeletal ultrasonography: results from a EULAR "Train the trainers" courseA K Scheel
Department of Medicine, Nephrology and Rheumatology, Robert Koch Strasse 40, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1043-9. 2005....
- SACRAH: a score for assessment and quantification of chronic rheumatic affections of the handsB F Leeb
Second Department of Medicine, Humanisklinikum Lower Austria, Lower Austrian Center for Rheumatology, Stockerau
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1173-8. 2003..To establish a questionnaire to quantify the extent of the function and activities of the hand in patients with degenerative or inflammatory disease of the hand and finger joints...
- Magnetic resonance imaging, radiography, and scintigraphy of the finger joints: one year follow up of patients with early arthritis. The TIRA GroupM Klarlund
The Danish Research Centre of Magnetic Resonance, H S Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen
Ann Rheum Dis 59:521-8. 2000..Additionally, to compare the results with radiography, bone scintigraphy, and clinical findings...
- Joint angle variability in 3D bimanual pointing: uncontrolled manifold analysisDmitry Domkin
Centre for Musculoskeletal Research, University of Gavle, Box 7629, 907 12, Umea, Sweden
Exp Brain Res 163:44-57. 2005....
- A high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging study of distal interphalangeal joint arthropathy in psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis: are they the same?Ai Lyn Tan
Academic Unit of Musculoskeletal Disease, Chapel Allerton Hospital, and University of Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 54:1328-33. 2006..This study used high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to investigate the basis for hand disease localization in both conditions...
- Prevalence and involvement patterns of radiographic hand osteoarthritis in Japanese women: the Hizen-Oshima StudyNaoki Toba
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, 1 1 Iseigaoka, Yahatanishi ku, Kitakyushu, 807 8555, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 24:344-8. 2006....
- Optimal daily total end range time for contracture: resolution in hand splintingCeleste Glasgow
Department of Occupational Therapy, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Hand Ther 16:207-18. 2003..Pretreatment joint stiffness (p = 0.162) and joint type (p = 0.463) did not influence final TROM significantly. These findings help to provide some controlled data from which therapists may base future prescription (dose) of daily TERT...
- Radiographic hand osteoarthritis: patterns and associations with hand pain and function in a community-dwelling sampleM Marshall
Arthritis Research Campaign National Primary Care Centre, Primary Care Sciences, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, United Kingdom
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:1440-7. 2009..The objectives of this study were to determine relationships of ROA at different hand joints, use the findings to define radiographic sub-groups and investigate their associations with pain and function...
- Treatment of erosive osteoarthritis of the hands by intra-articular infliximab injections: a pilot studyAntonella Fioravanti
Unit of Rheumatology, Department of Clinical Medicine and Immunological Sciences, University of Siena, Viale Bracci 1, 53100, Siena, Italy
Rheumatol Int 29:961-5. 2009..No local or systemic adverse reactions were recorded. Our study shows the symptomatic effect and a possible disease modifying action of i.a. infliximab in erosive osteoarthritis of the hands...
- Chronic flexion contracture of proximal interphalangeal joint treated with the compass hinge external fixator. A consecutive series of 27 casesS Houshian
Department of Orthopaedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
J Hand Surg Br 27:356-8. 2002..Complications included superficial pin-track infection in 11 cases and pin loosening in four cases...
- Interobserver agreement in ultrasonography of the finger and toe joints in rheumatoid arthritisMarcin Szkudlarek
University of Copenhagen Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 48:955-62. 2003..To evaluate the interobserver agreement of ultrasonographic assessment of finger and toe joints in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) by 2 investigators with different medical backgrounds...
- A robot-assisted study of intrinsic muscle regulation on proximal interphalangeal joint stiffness by varying metacarpophalangeal joint positionZong Ming Li
Hand Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Orthop Res 24:407-15. 2006The tightness of intrinsic hand muscles is a common cause of finger joint stiffness...
- A 3-D dynamic model of human finger for studying free movementsJ L Sancho-Bru
Departament de Tecnologia, Universitat Jaume I, Campus de Riu Sec, 12071 Castello, Spain
J Biomech 34:1491-500. 2001....
- Long-term results of surgical management of proximal interphalangeal joint contractureSean D Ghidella
Curtis National Hand Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hand Surg Am 27:799-805. 2002..The best surgical candidate is a patient younger than 28 years with a less severe diagnosis and who has preoperative maximum flexion measurement < 43 degrees...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of wrist and finger joints in healthy subjects occasionally shows changes resembling erosions and synovitis as seen in rheumatoid arthritisBo Ejbjerg
Department of Radiology, Copenhagen University Hospital at Hvidovre, Hvidovre, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 50:1097-106. 2004....
- Ultrasound and power Doppler evaluation of the hand and wrist in patients with psoriatic arthritisJ Milosavljevic
Department of Oncology, Radiology and Clinical Immunology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Radiol 46:374-85. 2005..To evaluate the ability of high-resolution and power Doppler sonography in detecting joint and tendon abnormalities in patients with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) of the hands and wrists compared with clinical and radiological findings...
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the hand and wrist: comparison of three imaging techniquesBachir Taouli
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0628, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:937-43. 2004..5-T MRI, 0.2-T low-field-strength dedicated extremity MRI, and radiography to detect and grade bone erosions, joint-space narrowing, and synovitis in the hands and wrists of patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Systems to assess the progression of finger joint osteoarthritis and the effects of disease modifying osteoarthritis drugsG Verbruggen
Ghent University Hospital, University of Ghent, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Clin Rheumatol 21:231-43. 2002..bone changes allowed the classic OA-associated anatomical lesions to be used to score the progression of finger joint OA...
- Distraction with external fixator for contractures of proximal interphalangeal joints: good outcome in 10 casesShirzad Houshian
Department of Orthopedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Acta Orthop Scand 75:225-8. 2004..The technique was tested on 10 patients. We found that the fixator is easy to apply and effective in reducing contractures of the PIP joint by soft tissue distraction...
- Results of proximal interphalangeal joint release for flexion contractures: midlateral versus palmar incisionP Brüser
Department of Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Malteser Hospital, Bonn, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 24:288-94. 1999..5-year follow-up examination. The improvement in ROM was significantly better in the midlateral incision group than in the palmar incision group...
- Characterization of multijoint finger stiffness: dependence on finger posture and force directionT E Milner
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B C, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 45:1363-75. 1998..In contrast, we did not find a monotonic relation between joint stiffness and net joint torque, which we attributed to the need to vary the amount of cocontraction of antagonistic muscles when controlling the direction of finger force...
- Imaging in rheumatoid arthritis--why MRI and ultrasonography can no longer be ignoredMikkel Ostergaard
Scand J Rheumatol 32:63-73. 2003..Pursuing the goal of improving patient care and disease outcome, rheumatologists can no longer afford to ignore MRI and US as means to measure disease activity and joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis...
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings in 84 patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: bone marrow oedema predicts erosive progressionE A Haavardsholm
Department of Rheumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Box 23 Vinderen, N 0319 Oslo, Norway
Ann Rheum Dis 67:794-800. 2008....
- Neural network committees for finger joint angle estimation from surface EMG signalsNikhil A Shrirao
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 0302, USA
Biomed Eng Online 8:2. 2009..The purpose of the present investigation was to develop a technique to predict the finger joint angle from the surface EMG measurements of the extensor muscle using neural network models.
- Total collateral ligament excision for contractures of the proximal interphalangeal jointE Diao
Department of Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York
J Hand Surg Am 18:395-402. 1993..This radical surgical approach to contracted proximal interphalangeal joints is justified by the improved range of motion without instability...
- Extrasynovial ultrasound abnormalities in the psoriatic finger. Prospective comparative power-doppler study versus rheumatoid arthritisBernard Fournie
Service de Clinique de Rhumatologie, CHU de Purpan, TSA 40031, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Joint Bone Spine 73:527-31. 2006..Our findings suggest that inflammation of the fibrous skeleton of the finger may lead to the clinical and radiological features that distinguish PsA from RA of the finger...
- Complex, multidimensional thumb movements generated by individual extrinsic musclesZong Ming Li
Hand Research Laboratory, Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, 210 Lothrop Street, E1641 BST, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Orthop Res 26:1289-95. 2008..We concluded that each muscle produces movements in multiple joints and/or in multiple anatomical directions. The findings provide a novel insight into the biomechanical roles of the extrinsic muscles of the thumb...
- Distraction correction of chronic flexion contractures of PIP joint: comparison between two distraction ratesShirzad Houshian
Department of Orthopaedics, Upper Limb Unit, University Hospital Lewisham, London, UK
J Hand Surg Am 32:651-6. 2007..5 mm/day and the other group with 1.0 mm/day. We also compared and evaluated the results of external fixation removal at 1 week versus 2 weeks after full correction...
- Anterior tenoarthrolysis for severe flexion contracture of the fingers (the "TATA" operation): a review of 50 casesP Lorea
Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria University of Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria and SOS Main Strasbourg, France
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 32:224-9. 2007..One PIP joint developed septic arthritis immediately after surgery. The benefit of this salvage operation is mainly in the change of the active range of motion to a more functional arc...
- Finger joint impedance during tapping on a computer keyswitchDevin L Jindrich
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Biomech 37:1589-96. 2004..These results suggest that the MCP joint does work on the interphalangeal joints as well as on the keyswitch...
- The role of sub-maximal force production in the enslaving phenomenonS Slobounov
Department of Kinesiology, 19 Recreation Building, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802 5702, USA
Brain Res 954:212-9. 2002..Overall, our data suggest that enslaving effect is a task specific phenomenon and depends on the amount of force produced by the master finger...
- Treatment of severely contracted fingers with combined use of cross-finger and side finger transposition flapsErsin Ulkur
Plastik ve Rekonstruktif Cerrahi Klinigi ve Yanik Unitesi, GATA Haydarpasa Egitim Hastanesi, Selimiye Mahallesi Tibbiye Caddesi, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1709-14. 2005..In the present study, the authors combined use of the cross-finger flap and the side-finger transposition flap to cover the skin and soft-tissue defect created by contracture release of severely contracted fingers...
- Morbid anatomy of 'erosive osteoarthritis' of the interphalangeal finger joints: an optimised scoring system to monitor disease progression in affected jointsGust Verbruggen
Department of Rheumatology, 0K12 IB Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan, 185, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Ann Rheum Dis 69:862-7. 2010....
- Doppler ultrasound findings in healthy wrists and finger jointsL Terslev
The Parker Institute, Department of Rheumatology, Frederiksberg Hospital, DK 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Ann Rheum Dis 63:644-8. 2004..To evaluate the presence of flow by Doppler ultrasound (DUS) in the wrist and finger joints (carpometacarpal 1 (CMC1), metacarpophalangeal (MCP), and proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joints) of healthy controls...
- Measuring finger joint cartilage by ultrasound as a promising alternative to conventional radiograph imagingBurkhard Möller
University Hospital Berne, Inselspital, Berne, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 61:435-41. 2009To evaluate the reliability and validity of a novel ultrasound (US) imaging method to measure metacarpophalangeal (MCP) and proximal interphalangeal (PIP) finger joint cartilage.
- Resurfacing hemipulp losses of the thumb: the cross finger flap revisited: indications, technical refinements, outcomes, and long-term neurosensory recoveryColin Yi Loong Woon
Department of Hand Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Plast Surg 61:385-91. 2008..The proximal and middle phalanges of both the index and long fingers may serve as donor sites, allowing the surgeon to best select skin cover based on defect size and options in finger positioning...
- Use of intrinsic thumb muscles may help to improve lateral pinch function restored by tendon transferJoseph D Towles
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 23:387-94. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate if one of the intrinsic muscles could generate a more suitably directed thumb-tip force during lateral pinch than that of flexor pollicis longus...
- [Dorsolateral dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint: closed reduction and early active motion versus static splinting]R Arora
Universitätsklinik für Unfallchirurgie und Sporttraumatologie Vorstand Univ Prof Dr M Blauth, Medizinische Universitat Innsbruck, Osterreich
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 39:225-8. 2007..Degenerative arthritis was seen in six patients. Early active motion following dorsolateral dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint leads to significantly superior results regarding the active range of motion and pinch power...
- Treatment of basal joint arthritis of the thumb: trapeziectomy with or without tendon interposition/ligament reconstructionL De Smet
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, UZ Pellenberg, Belgium
Hand Surg 9:5-9. 2004..There was also a significant correlation between the remaining trapezial space and key pinch force...
- Evaluation of an instrumented glove for hand-movement acquisitionLaura Dipietro
RTR Research Centre in Rehabilitation Bioengineering, INAIL Prosthetic Centre, Viareggio, LU, Italy
J Rehabil Res Dev 40:179-89. 2003..It also allows for dynamic and simultaneous recording of hand-joint movements. Future work will investigate accuracy of measurements...
- In vivo flexor tendon forces increase with finger and wrist flexion during active finger flexion and extensionKatarzyna Kursa
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Francisco, Richmond, California, USA
J Orthop Res 24:763-9. 2006..This risk can be further decreased for a FDS tendon repair by reducing wrist flexion angle...
- Hand function and activity performance of children with longitudinal radial deficiencyLaurien M Buffart
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:2408-15. 2008..In this study, we used standardized instruments to assess impairments in hand function and activity limitations and explored the relationship between the two...
- Dorsolateral dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint: closed reduction and early active motion or static splinting; a retrospective studyR Arora
Department of Trauma Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:486-8. 2004..The patients were assigned randomly. The inclusion criteria were: adult patients over the age of 18 with isolated, acute, closed dorsolateral dislocation of the PIP joint...
- Manipulabilities of the index finger and thumb in three tip-pinch posturesRyuichi Yokogawa
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Doshisha University, Kyo tanabe, Kyoto, 610 0321, Japan
J Biomech Eng 126:212-9. 2004..In two-dimensional tip-pinch, it was possible that the index finger worked actively while the thumb worked passively to support the manipulation of the index finger...
- Free vascularized joint transfer from the nonreplantable digit as a free flap for primary reconstruction of complex hand injuryYasunori Hattori
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ogori Daiichi General Hospital, Ogori, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 29:931-5. 2004..Two years after surgery active range of motion of the reconstructed MCP joint was 35 degrees extension to 85 degrees flexion with no instability or pain...
- Microvascular soft tissue reconstruction of the digitsA Turner
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Queen Victoria Hospital, Holyte Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 3DZ, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:441-50. 2006..Local reconstruction techniques are popular but can result in a functional limitation at the donor site. Small free flaps though complex, may provide a superior alternative...
- Brachialis muscle transfer to reconstruct finger flexion or wrist extension in brachial plexus palsyJayme Augusto Bertelli
Department of Plastic Surgery, Joana de Gusmão Children s Hospital, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
J Hand Surg Am 31:190-6. 2006..In this situation a distant muscle may be used. This study describes transfer of the brachialis muscle to the forearm muscles to reconstruct finger flexion or wrist extension in patients with brachial plexus injuries...
- Kirschner-wire fixation for postburn flexion contracture deformity and consequences on articular surfaceNezih Sungur
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 56:128-32. 2006..This technique was concluded to provide effective immobilization without permanent articular damage...
- Functional outcome of the hand following flexor tendon repair at the 'no man's land'T K Chan
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Tseung Kwan O Hospital, Hang Hau, Hong Kong
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 14:178-83. 2006..To evaluate the functional outcome of the hand following flexor tendon repair at 'no man's land' using 2 strands of a modified Kessler core suture and combined controlled motion rehabilitation protocol...
- Mini-screw fixation for the treatment of proximal interphalangeal joint dorsal fracture-dislocationsStephen C Hamilton
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Cincinnati, OH 45219, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1349-54. 2006..One method of stabilization is open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF). The purpose of this study was to assess the outcomes of ORIF for unstable dorsal fracture-dislocations of the PIP joint using mini-screws via a volar approach...
- Long-term follow-up of surgical treatment for thumb duplicationM Larsen
Department of Plastic Surgery, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Hand Surg Br 30:276-81. 2005..Collateral ligament repair did not significantly contribute to joint stability. An objective method of postoperative evaluation showed good results in five, fair results in 12 and poor results in two thumbs...
- Septic arthritis of the small joints of the handM Sinha
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Great Western Hospital, Swindon and Marlborough NHS Trust, Swindon, UK
J Hand Surg Br 31:665-72. 2006..No patient had significant disability. While there is significant loss of motion after this joint pathology in the early recovery period, overall motion and function appears to improve over the longer term...
- Pyrolytic carbon arthroplasty for posttraumatic arthritis of the proximal interphalangeal jointRyan M Nunley
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Barnes Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1468-74. 2006..To prospectively evaluate the subjective and objective functional outcome of patients treated with a pyrolytic carbon proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint arthroplasty for posttraumatic arthritis...
- Randomized controlled trial on low level laser therapy (LLLT) in the treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) of the handLucie Brosseau
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
Lasers Surg Med 36:210-9. 2005..Low level laser therapy (LLLT) offers promising symptomatic relief of osteoarthritic (OA) pain. We examined efficacy of active LLLT versus sham LLLT on finger joints and three superficial nerves...
- Hematoma and distraction arthroplasty for thumb basal joint osteoarthritis: minimum 6.5-year follow-up evaluationKatherine V Gray
Combined Orthopedic Plastic Hand Surgery Service, University of California Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 32:23-9. 2007..The goal of the present study was to evaluate the results of this procedure in patients at least 6.5 years after surgery...
- Three-dimensional computed tomography imaging: its applicability in the evaluation of extensor tendons in the hand and wristToru Sunagawa
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:94-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine whether 3-dimensional (3D) computed tomography (CT) imaging with volume rendering can accurately evaluate extensor tendons in the hand and wrist...
- MOVEMENT CONTROL FOLLOWING FINGER JOINT REPLACEMENTJ Kelso; Fiscal Year: 1980..Our new experiments explore the dynamic organization of voluntary movement in joint replacement patients in order to examine the 'tuning' view in more detail...
- A NEW FINGER JOINT PROSTHESISRobert Whalen; Fiscal Year: 1990A new finger joint prosthesis is to be designed and tested. It will utilize a titanium hinge...
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN IMPLANT FOR FINGER JOINT ARTHROPLASTYWILFRED LYNCH; Fiscal Year: 1993..There are no effective finger joint replacements available...
- ENDOSCOPIC ROBOT HANDSRIN SASTRY; Fiscal Year: 1992..The microcomputer converts from finger joint angles to the many cable force and displacement variables required...
- In Vivo Rabbit Model of Finger Muscoloskeletal DisordersKaren King; Fiscal Year: 2006..This project proposes to use an in vivo animal model of repetitive finger joint loading to elucidate the relative risks of these factors (repetition and combined force and repetition)...
- MRI-Compatible Diffuse Optical Tomography SystemANDREAS HIELSCHER; Fiscal Year: 2005..This comparison will quantify the advantages and disadvantages of these different optical imaging modalities. ..
- OPTICAL TOMOGRAPHY FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF JOINT DISEASESANDREAS HIELSCHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of this proposal is to lay the groundwork for a clinical viable joint imager that can be used in a phase II clinical trial in i subsequent studies. ..
- Small Animal Tomography System for Green Fluorescent Protein ImagingANDREAS HIELSCHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..For example, the imaging system could help visualize tumor location and growth. If successfully implemented the new imaging system will provide new insights into how various diseases, such as cancer, spread and affect the body. ..
- 8th Conference - Chemistry & Biology Mineralized TissueWILLIAM LANDIS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- New MRI Sequences/RF Coils for Hand Psoriatic ArthritisWINGCHI KWOK; Fiscal Year: 2005..This technology will allow us to start the clinical evaluation of the disease mechanism and the long-term effect of early treatment. ..
- MINERAL-MATRIX RELATIONS IN CALCIFYING TISSUESWILLIAM LANDIS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- The effect of alternative keyboards on discomfort and typing kinematicsNancy A Baker; Fiscal Year: 2010..The effectiveness of alternative keyboards must be verified to ensure that they are providing interventions that will reduce musculoskeletal pain/discomfort and potentially prevent MSD-UE. ..
- Patellofemoral Osteoarthritis EpidemiologyDavid Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this project we will evaluate PF cartilage loss and development of this same PF cartilage loss associated with symptoms. ..
- Tools for exposure assessment of physical risk factorsJack Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2007..Technology transfers include potential software products for computer users to monitor their own work patterns. ..
- Upper Extremity Dynamics During KeyingJack Tigh Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2010..of, as well as to elicit the specific coordination of the finger and wrist muscles balancing the wrist and finger joint dynamics...
- ErgoChair Smart Manual WheelchairW Richter; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will develop innovative technology that will dramatically improve the ergonomics of wheelchair transfers and lifting tasks. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SPATIAL AND TEMPORAL CONTROL OF TARGETED LIMB MOVEMENTSPaul Cordo; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Developing an Instrument to Measure Keyboarding StyleNancy Baker; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will be integrated into the final tool, the PECKS. The PECKS can then be used to identify an individual who have keyboarding...styles that have been associated with MSD-UE. ..
- Interactions of Biomechanics and Psychosocial Stressors and MSDs in the Modern OfJack Tigh Dennerlein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will influence work place design and policies through the development of new evidence-based interventions. ..
- Gene Environment Interaction in Head and Neck CancerAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study should contribute knowledge on gene-environment interactions for cancer of the head and neck, but also for other tobacco- and alcohol-related cancers and possibly cancers of unknown etiology. ..
- Computerized Radiographic Outcomes for Rheumatoid HandsJeffrey Duryea; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will play a major role towards alleviating the effects of this debilitating disease. ..
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF RISK FACTORS FOR WILMS TUMORAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide important new advances in our understanding of Wilms tumor given the study size, quality of exposure assessment, and incorporation of clinical and biological markers of etiologic heterogeneity. ..
- COORDINATION OF SITTING UPPaul Cordo; Fiscal Year: 2001..The vertical forces produced on the support surface will be recorded along with segmental kinematics and muscle (EMG) activity. ..
- Function of Magnocellular Red Nucleus in Reach-to-graspPETER VAN KAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Portable low-cost glove for functional hand measuresLISA SIMONE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OptiPush Wheelchair Training SystemW Richter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Pre- and post-training evaluations will include exercise capacity, propulsion strength, propulsion efficiency and propulsion biomechanics testing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..