- Restoration of thoracic kyphosis by posterior instrumentation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: comparative radiographic analysis of two methods of reduction
Jean Luc Clement
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Scoliosis Surgery, Hospital Lenval, Nice, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1579-87. 2008
- Morphologic evaluation of the thoracic vertebrae for safe free-hand pedicle screw placement in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a CT-based anatomical study
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Surg Radiol Anat 34:209-16. 2012
..To evaluate the morphologic characteristics of the thoracic pedicle with regard to safe free-hand thoracic pedicle screw placement, based on multi-planar reconstruction CT images...
- Cell proliferation and replacement following contusive spinal cord injury
Laila J Zai
Department of Neuroscience, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Glia 50:247-57. 2005
..Cells that are stimulated to divide during the first week after SCI develop chronically into mature phenotypes that replace macroglia lost after injury...
- Biplanar measurement of thoracolumbar curvature in older adults using an electromagnetic tracking device
Devinder K Singh
Clinical Research Centre for Health Professions, University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:137-42. 2010
..Singh DK, Bailey M, Lee R. Biplanar measurement of thoracolumbar curvature in older adults using an electromagnetic tracking device...
- PLIF in thoracolumbar trauma: technique and radiological results
Department for Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 19:1079-86. 2010
..So we think that this technique can be an alternative procedure to combined operations regarding the presented radiological results of successful fusion and loss of correction...
- Operative treatment of 733 patients with acute thoracolumbar spinal injuries: comprehensive results from the second, prospective, Internet-based multicenter study of the Spine Study Group of the German Association of Trauma Surgery
Department of Trauma Surgery, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 19:1657-76. 2010
..Randomized-controlled long-term investigations seem mandatory and the next step in future clinical research of Spine Study Group of the German Trauma Society...
- Ball tip technique for thoracic pedicle screw placement in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Department of Advanced Treatment for Spine and Spinal Cord Disorders, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 13:246-52. 2010
..To further enhance the accuracy and safety of TPS placement, the authors developed the ball tip technique...
- Mapping and fine mapping of quantitative trait loci for the number of vertebrae in a White Duroc × Chinese Erhualian intercross resource population
D R Ren
Key Laboratory for Animal Biotechnology of Jiangxi Province and Ministry of Agriculture of China, Jiangxi Agricultural University, Nanchang, 330045, China
Anim Genet 43:545-51. 2012
..The critical region harbours the newly reported VRTN gene associated with vertebral number. Further investigations are required to confirm whether VRTN or two other positional candidate genes, PROX2 and FOS, cause the QTL effect...
- Vertebral body shape variation in the thoracic and lumbar spine: characterization of its asymmetry and wedging
Spinal Research Laboratory, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Anat 21:46-54. 2008
..Clinical and surgical implications of the unique thoracolumbar architecture are discussed...
- Neurological manifestations, imaging characteristics, and surgical outcome of intraspinal osteochondroma
Department of Neurosurgery, Shohada Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Neurosurg Spine 12:474-89. 2010
..Concurrent spinal cord compression is a very rare entity. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the authors' 10-year experience with the imaging characteristics and surgical outcome in patients with symptomatic spinal OC...
- Twelve-months follow-up in forty-nine patients with acute/semiacute osteoporotic vertebral fractures treated conservatively or with percutaneous vertebroplasty: a clinical randomized study
Spine Section, Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Odense, Odense, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:478-82. 2010
..Clinical randomized study...
- Validity of the three-column theory of thoracolumbar fractures. A biomechanic investigation
M M Panjabi
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:1122-7. 1995
..85). CONCLUSIONS. The results of this study supported the three-column theory of the thoracolumbar fractures and bolstered the concept of the middle column being the primary determinant of mechanical stability of this region of the spine...
- Potential large vessel injury during thoracolumbar pedicle screw removal. A case report
J S Vanichkachorn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:110-3. 1997
..Instruments designed to capture the end of the distal screw fragment through an interference fit may allow anterior screw migration to occur, particularly in osteoporotic bone...
- A dynamic study of thoracolumbar burst fractures
Ruth K Wilcox
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:2184-9. 2003
- Accuracy and safety of thoracic pedicle screw placement in spinal deformities
Spine Unit, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:522-6. 2005
..To determine the safety of pedicle screw fixation in thoracic spine deformity correction...
- A review of the management of thoracolumbar burst fractures
Li Yang Dai
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092, China
Surg Neurol 67:221-31; discussion 231. 2007
..However, the management of thoracolumbar burst fractures has been the subject of much controversy...
- Comparison of anterior and posterior instrumentation for correction of adolescent thoracic idiopathic scoliosis
R R Betz
Shriners Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:225-39. 1999
..4) Using the 3.2-mm flexible rod in this study, loss of correction, pseudarthrosis, and rod breakage were unacceptably highe..
- Computed tomographic characteristics of acute thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease in dogs
Department of Veterinary Medical Imaging, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Vet Sci 11:73-9. 2010
..Noncontrast computed tomography scans of the spine can be useful in diagnosing acute intervertebral disc disease in chondrodystrophoid breeds, evaluating patient status and identifying concurrent epidural hemorrhage...
- Postural instability in early-stage idiopathic scoliosis in adolescent girls
Balance Control and Motor Performance, Nancy University, UFR STAPS, Villers les Nancy, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E847-54. 2011
- Therapeutic decision making in thoracolumbar spine trauma
F Cumhur Oner
Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S235-44. 2010
..Systematic literature review...
- Long segment instrumentation of thoracolumbar burst fracture: fusion versus nonfusion
Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Sivas, Turkey
J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil 22:107-12. 2009
..Some studies suggested that nonfusion had several advantages over fusion. The aim of this prospective study was to compare long segment posterior instrumentation with fusion versus long-segment posterior instrumentation without fusion...
- Myelography vs. computed tomography in the evaluation of acute thoracolumbar intervertebral disk extrusion in chondrodystrophic dogs
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine, C 247 Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Knoxville, TN 37996 4544, USA
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 50:353-9. 2009
..001). Both helical and conventional CT appear to be accurate for evaluation of acute thoracolumbar intervertebral disk extrusion in chondrodystrophic dogs and are faster to perform than myelography...
- Kyphosis recurrence after posterior short-segment fixation in thoracolumbar burst fractures
Xiang yang Wang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Neurosurg Spine 8:246-54. 2008
- A novel method for the reproducible production of thoracolumbar burst fractures in human cadaveric specimens
Hugh L Jones
Department of Orthopaedics, The Methodist Hospital, Spine Surgery, 6550 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Spine J 11:447-51. 2011
..Currently, there is no reproducible method that produces thoracolumbar burst fractures in human cadavers wherein the fracture configuration mirrors that seen naturally, and soft tissues are maintained...
- Dermoid sinus and bone defects of the fifth thoracic vertebrae in a shih-tzu
Jose A Colon
J Small Anim Pract 48:180. 2007
- Minimal invasive stabilization of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a prospective nonrandomized comparison of vertebroplasty and balloon kyphoplasty
Josef G Grohs
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University Vienna, Wien, Austria
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:238-42. 2005
..Because of the lack of comparative studies, we performed an investigation to describe the mechanical effects and the impact on life quality during a follow-up period of 2 years...
- In vitro analysis of anterior and posterior fixation in an experimental unstable burst fracture model
Patricia M Kallemeier
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:216-24. 2008
..A biomechanical comparison of fixation constructs in an experimental fracture model...
- Nonoperative versus operative treatment for thoracolumbar burst fractures without neurologic deficit: a meta-analysis
Sonali R Gnanenthiran
South West Sydney Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:567-77. 2012
..Lack of evidence-based practice may result in patients being treated inappropriately and being exposed to unnecessary adverse consequences...
- Magnetic resonance imaging assessment of spinal inflammation in ankylosing spondylitis: standard clinical protocols may omit inflammatory lesions in thoracic vertebrae
Winston J Rennie
University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, UK
Arthritis Rheum 61:1187-93. 2009
..Our objective was to compare the distribution of inflammatory lesions centrally and laterally within the thoracic and lumbar spine vertebral bodies...
- A patient with thoracic intradural disc herniation
Robert G Whitmore
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, 3rd Floor Silverstein, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Neurosci 18:1730-2. 2011
..The disc was removed, and the patient experienced good neurological recovery and remains pain free 1 year after surgery...
- Thoracic pedicle screw fixation in spinal deformities: are they really safe?
S I Suk
Seoul Spine Institute, Inje University Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2049-57. 2001
..A retrospective study...
- Morphometric vertebral fractures of the lower thoracic and lumbar spine, physical function and quality of life in men
J A Pasco
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences Barwon Health, The University of Melbourne, Geelong, Australia
Osteoporos Int 20:787-92. 2009
..We recommend that morphometric X-ray absorptiometry be included in routine requests for bone densitometry...
- Ossification of the ligamentum flavum in a Caucasian man
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 9:427-37. 2008
..The literature is then reviewed with regard to OLF epidemiology, pathogenesis, presentation, and treatment...
- Cortical and trabecular load sharing in the human vertebral body
Senthil K Eswaran
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 1740, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:307-14. 2006
..As a result, a more integrative measure of the trabecular and cortical bone should improve noninvasive assessment of fracture risk and treatments...
- Resection of thoracic dumbbell neurinomas: single postero-lateral approach or combined posterior and transthoracic approach?
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Geneva, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Clin Neurosci 13:690-3. 2006
..We report the removal of a dumbbell neurinoma at T6/7 using a single posterior midline approach with laminectomy and costo-transversectomy and review the literature regarding the approaches to thoracic dumbbell tumours...
- Prevalence, distribution, and morphology of ossification of the ligamentum flavum: a population study of one thousand seven hundred thirty-six magnetic resonance imaging scans
Jiong Jiong Guo
Department of Orthopedics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:51-6. 2010
..Large scale, cross-sectional imaging study of a general population...
- Comparison of kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty in the treatment of fresh vertebral compression fractures
Markus Dietmar Schofer
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:1391-9. 2009
..In balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty, we have two minimally invasive treatment procedures available. Although they have both been controversially discussed in studies, they have seldom been directly compared...
- Scoliosis correction with pedicle screws in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
Department of Orthopaedics, Balgrist Clinic, University of Zurich, Forchstrasse 340, CH 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 17:255-61. 2008
..One patient with a known cardiomyopathy died intraoperatively due to a sudden cardiac arrest. The rigid primary stability with pedicle screws allowed early mobilisation of the patients, which helped to avoid pulmonary complications...
- Axial and tangential fixation strength of pedicle screws versus hooks in the thoracic spine in relation to bone mineral density
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:937-42. 2002
..In vitro biomechanical testing was performed to analyze the axial and tangential fixation strength of pedicle screws versus pedicle and laminar hooks in the human thoracic spine. Bone mineral density of each tested vertebra was determined...
- The biomechanical effects of kyphoplasty on treated and adjacent nontreated vertebral bodies
Marta L Villarraga
Exponent, Inc, 3401 Market Street, Suite 300, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:84-91. 2005
..Therefore, subsequent adjacent level fractures may be related to the underlying etiology (weakening of the bone) rather than the surgical intervention...
- Successful treatment of thoracolumbar fractures with short-segment pedicle instrumentation
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Maryland Medical Center, 22 South Greene Street, Suite S11B, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:293-301. 2010
..Retrospective radiographic review...
- Reoperation for herniated thoracic discs
C A Dickman
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013 4496, USA
J Neurosurg 91:157-62. 1999
..In this review the authors address the surgical strategies required to resect residual herniated thoracic discs...
- Three-dimensional measurement of wedged scoliotic vertebrae and intervertebral disks
C E Aubin
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur Spine J 7:59-65. 1998
..Clinicians should be aware of these limitations while using wedging measurements from plain radiographs for diagnosis and/or research on scoliotic deformities...
- Mechanics of interbody spinal fusion. Analysis of critical bone graft area
R F Closkey
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:1011-5. 1993
..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- The transmission of stress to grafted bone inside a titanium mesh cage used in anterior column reconstruction after total spondylectomy: a finite-element analysis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2783-7. 2005
..A finite-element study of posterior alone or anterior/posterior combined instrumentation following total spondylectomy and replacement with a titanium mesh cage used as an anterior strut...
- Implants of heterologous demineralized bone matrix for induction of posterior spinal fusion in rats
Institute of Histology, University of Parma, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:701-7. 1992
..The two posterior spinal fusions done in the same animal with heterologous demineralized bone matrix or autologous bone, respectively, had similar callus development and required the same time for formation...
- Relative anterior spinal overgrowth in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Results of disproportionate endochondral-membranous bone growth
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, SAR, China
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:1026-31. 2003
We undertook a comparative study of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) vertebral morphometry of thoracic vertebrae of girls with adolescent idiopathic thoracic scoliosis (AIS) and age and gender-matched normal subjects, in order to ..
- One-stage anterior interbody autografting and instrumentation in primary surgical management of thoracolumbar spinal tuberculosis
Department of Orthopedic and Spinal Surgery, Nanfang Hospital, 510515, Guangzhou, P R China
Eur Spine J 13:114-21. 2004
- Endoscopic thoracic microdiscectomy
Rod J Oskouian
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health Systems, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 3:459-64. 2005
..The purpose of this clinical study was to evaluate prospectively surgical and neurological outcomes after endoscopic thoracic disc surgery...
- Long-term functional outcome of dogs with severe injuries of the thoracolumbar spinal cord: 87 cases (1996-2001)
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 222:762-9. 2003
..To determine long-term (> 6 months) outcome of dogs with paraplegia and loss of hind limb deep pain perception (DPP) resulting from intervertebral disk herniation or trauma...
- Spinal exostoses: analysis of twelve cases and review of the literature
R Shay Bess
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, OH 44106, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:774-80. 2005
..Retrospective review of spinal exostoses treated at our institution and literature review...
- Thoracolumbar burst fracture. A biomechanical investigation of its multidirectional flexibility
M M Panjabi
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:578-85. 1994
..All of the increases were significant (P < 0.05). The clinical significance of the study lies in its finding of high multidirectional acute instability of the thoracolumbar burst fracture, especially in axial rotation...
- Diagnosis and management of thoracolumbar spine fractures
Alexander R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Instr Course Lect 53:359-73. 2004
..Both nonsurgical and surgical treatment options are available to achieve the goals of preservation of neurologic function and restoration of spinal stability...
- Volumetric spinal canal intrusion: a comparison between thoracic pedicle screws and thoracic hooks
David W Polly
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:63-9. 2004
..A computer-aided design analysis...
- Sagittal plane correction in idiopathic scoliosis
Tamás de Jonge
University of Pecs, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Pecs, Hungary
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:754-60. 2002
..Patients with idiopathic scoliosis who had undergone posterior fusion by means of posterior multisegmented hook instrumentation were studied retrospectively...
- Spinal intradural juxtamedullary cysts in the adult: surgical management and outcome
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Neurosurgery 55:1352-9; discussion 1359-60. 2004
..We retrospectively analyzed a series of patients harboring this entity with regard to clinical and radiological features, surgical management, and follow-up results...
- Combined laminectomy and thoracoscopic resection of dumbbell-type thoracic cord tumor
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University, Fukushima City, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:E130-4. 2001
..A study of five patients whose dumbbell or paraspinal tumors of the thoracic spine were managed by using thoracoscopic surgery is reported...
- Influence of disc degeneration on mechanism of thoracolumbar burst fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:286-92. 1992
..In the analysis of specimens with severely degenerated discs, stresses were very low at the end plate and cancellous bone under the nucleus.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Evaluation of pedicle screw placement in the deformed spine using intraoperative plain radiographs: a comparison with computerized tomography
Yongjung J Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Shriners Hospitals for Children, St Louis, MO, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2084-8. 2005
..A retrospective study...
- Hyperkyphotic posture and risk of future osteoporotic fractures: the Rancho Bernardo study
Mei Hua Huang
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:419-23. 2006
..In 596 community-dwelling women, we found that with increasing kyphosis, there was a significant trend of increasing fracture risk that was independent of previous history of fractures or BMD...
- The solitary intraspinal vertebral osteochondroma. An unusual cause of compressive myelopathy: features and literature review
Department of Radiology, St Louis University Health Sciences Center, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:77-81. 1999
..Magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, and postmyelogram computed tomography are useful in evaluating the size and extent of spinal osteochondromas as a cause of spinal cord compression...
- iNOS and nitrotyrosine expression after spinal cord injury
Department of Neurology and Center for the Study of Nervous System Injury, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurotrauma 18:523-32. 2001
..Results from the present study suggest that increased iNOS and peroxynitrite anion, as reflected by the progressive accumulation of NT in the injured impacted spinal cord, may contribute to the secondary injury process after SCI...
- Different parts of erector spinae muscle fatigability in subjects with and without low back pain
Paul S Sung
Department of Physical Therapy, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Spine J 9:115-20. 2009
..These muscles have very different mechanical responses and, therefore, would be recruited differentially for the chosen task...
- Shape variation of the neural arch in the thoracic and lumbar spine: characterization and relationship with the vertebral body shape
Spinal Research Laboratory, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Anat 24:858-67. 2011
..In conclusion, the NA is systematically asymmetrical and dynamic in shape along the thoracic and lumbar spine. The inter-relationship with the vertebral body and articular facets is discussed...
- Fatal fat embolism after vertebroplasty: identification of the high-risk patient
M I Syed
Department of Radiology, Mercy Medical Center, Springfield, Ohio 45501 1308, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:343-5. 2006
..Cement injection was done during one patient encounter, covering 3 vertebral levels by using a unipedicular approach. Patients may have complications even without polymethylmethacrylate leakage...
- Histomorphometric analysis of fracture healing cascade in acute osteoporotic vertebral body fractures
Terrence H Diamond
Department of Endocrinology, St George Hospital Campus, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bone 40:775-80. 2007
..While fracture healing has been well characterised in long bones, there is scant data relating to this process in acute vertebral body fractures...
- The prevalence of radiographic vertebral fractures in Latin American countries: the Latin American Vertebral Osteoporosis Study (LAVOS)
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, CMN Siglo XXI, IMSS Faculty of Medicine UNAM, Lomas de Chapultepec, DF, Mexico City, Mexico
Osteoporos Int 20:275-82. 2009
..These figures are similar to findings from studies in Beijing, China, some regions of Europe, and slightly lower than those found in the USA using the same standardized methodology...
- Vertebral coplanar alignment: a standardized technique for three dimensional correction in scoliosis surgery: technical description and preliminary results in Lenke type 1 curves
Gabriel Pizà Vallespir
Servicio de Cirugía Ortopédica y Traumatología Infantil, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1588-97. 2008
..Prospective multicentric study...
- Diffuse follicle center lymphoma of the spine: a primary epidural lymphoma?
F B Mesfin
The Neurosciences Institute, Division of Neurosurgery, Albany Medical Center, New York 12208, USA
Clin Neuropathol 28:395-9. 2009
..Primary spinal follicle center lymphomas of the spine are rare with the current case being the first diffuse follicle center type reported in the literature...
- Single stage complete excision of large thoracic dumbbell schwannoma by modified posterior approach
Department of Surgery, Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha 442005 Maharashtra, India
Surg Neurol 70:432-6. 2008
..Successful management of posterior mediastinal dumbbell tumors depends on complete resection with adequate exposure...
- Spectral and entropy changes for back muscle fatigability following spinal stabilization exercises
Tae Ro Lee
Department of Healthcare Management, College of Health Science, Korea University, 1 Jeongneung 3 dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Rehabil Res Dev 47:133-42. 2010
..06, p = 0.01); however, no interaction with the level of pain was found (F = 0.19, p = 0.66). Therefore, the Shannon entropy of the EMG signals might be a useful and valuable clinical tool to measure pain following intervention...
- Multimodal therapy for localized spinal epidural follicular lymphoma
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Rostock, Germany
Onkologie 33:381-4. 2010
..An epidural growth of low-grade lymphoma is even more unusual. Due to this low incidence, therapeutic experience for this entity is limited...
- Resting position variables at the shoulder: evidence to support a posture-impairment association
John D Borstad
Physical Therapy Division, Ohio State University, 516 Atwell Hall, 453 W Tenth Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Phys Ther 86:549-57. 2006
..The purpose of this analysis was to explore the relationships among posture, pectoralis minor muscle length, and movement alterations at the shoulder...
- Treatment of intramedullary spinal cysticercosis: report of 2 cases and review of literature
Faiz Uddin Ahmad
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurosciences Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Surg Neurol 67:74-7; discussion 77. 2007
..NCC, Taenia solium involvement in the central nervous system, is one of the most common parasitic diseases. Spinal IMC is one of the rarest forms of NCC...
- In vivo dynamic compressive stresses in the disc annulus: a pilot study of bilateral differences due to hemiepiphyseal implant in a quadruped model
Donita I Bylski-Austrow
Department of Orthopaedics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E949-56. 2012
..In vivo biomechanical study in quadruped model...
- Dynamic response of the idiopathic scoliotic spine to axial cyclic loads
Xin Feng Li
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:521-8. 2011
..Numerical techniques were used to study the vibration response of idiopathic scoliosis patients with single thoracic curve...
- Posterior short-segment fixation with or without fusion for thoracolumbar burst fractures. a five to seven-year prospective randomized study
Li Yang Dai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1033-41. 2009
..We conducted a controlled clinical trial to define the effect of fusion on lumbar spine and patient-related functional outcomes...
- Thoracic spine fractures: injury profile and outcomes of a surgically treated cohort
Spine Surgery Unit, Department of Orthopedics, Hospital del Trabajador de Santiago, Ramon Carnicer 201, Providencia, Santiago, Chile
Eur Spine J 20:1427-33. 2011
..Short pedicle instrumentations should be used whenever possible, but also long instrumentations and mixed constructs may be necessary for the management of such unique fractures...
- Evaluation of the thoracolumbar injury classification system in thoracic and lumbar spinal trauma
Andrei F Joaquim
Department of Neurology, State University of Campinas, Campinas SP, Brazil
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:33-6. 2011
- Removal of a protruded thoracic disc using microsurgical endoscopy. A new technique
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1087-91. 1994
..It may shorten bed confinement and allow early return to active life. Application of this technique in other areas is being studied...
- Osteoid osteoma near the intervertebral foramen may induce radiculopathy through tumorous inflammation
Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Diagn Pathol 6:10. 2011
..We present here two rare cases of spinal osteoid osteoma causing radiculopathy and the first histological evidence of tumorous inflammation as a cause of radiculopathy in osteoid osteoma near the intervertebral foramen...
- Vertebral fracture assessment in asymptomatic men and its impact on management
A El Maghraoui
Rheumatology Department, Military Hospital Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco
Bone 50:853-7. 2012
..Vertebral fracture assessment (VFA) enables the detection of VFs in the same session as bone mineral density (BMD) testing...
- Preliminary biomechanical evaluation of prophylactic vertebral reinforcement adjacent to vertebroplasty under cyclic loading
Robert J Oakland
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Spine J 9:174-81. 2009
..Short-term results are promising, although longer-term complications may arise from accelerated failure of the adjacent vertebral body...
- Combined posterior and delayed staged mini-open anterior short-segment fusion for thoracolumbar burst fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Imakiire General Hospital, 4 16 Shimotatsuo, Kagoshima, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 25:38-46. 2012
..A prospective study...
- Radiographic measures of thoracic kyphosis in osteoporosis: Cobb and vertebral centroid angles
A M Briggs
Centre for Health, Exercise and Sports Medicine, School of Physiotherapy, University of Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Skeletal Radiol 36:761-7. 2007
..The aim of this study was to examine the validity and reliability of the vertebral centroid and Cobb angles in people with osteoporosis...
- A human cadaver model for determination of pathologic fracture threshold resulting from tumorous destruction of the vertebral body
J R Dimar
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1209-14. 1998
STUDY DESIGN: Thoracic vertebrae were subjected to compressive loads after drilling of the centrum to simulate destruction from metastatic tumorous involvement...
- Impact of prophylactic thoracolumbosacral orthosis bracing on functional activities and activities of daily living in the pediatric spinal cord injury population
Ross S Chafetz
Clinical Research, Shriners Hospitals for Children, 3551 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 30:S178-83. 2007
- Effect of direct vertebral body derotation on the sagittal profile in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Steven W Hwang
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shriners Hospitals for Children Philadelphia, 3551 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19140, USA
Eur Spine J 21:31-9. 2012
..We sought to clarify the effect of applying derotation maneuvers in the correction of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) on the sagittal plane...
- Injuries significantly associated with thoracic spine fractures: a case-control study
Medical School, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 21:419-23. 2009
..To determine injuries significantly associated with traumatic thoracic spine (T-spine) fractures..
- The adoption of a new classification system: time-dependent variation in interobserver reliability of the thoracolumbar injury severity score classification system
Alpesh A Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E105-10. 2007
..Prospective clinical assessment of the interobserver reliability of the Thoracolumbar Injury Classification and Severity Score (TLISS) in a series of consecutive patients...
- Surgical outcome of thoracic myelopathy secondary to ossification of ligamentum flavum
Byung Chul Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 50 Samduck dong 2 Ga, Jung Gu, Daegu 700 721, Republic of Korea
Joint Bone Spine 74:600-5. 2007
..Few series of OLF in South Korean subjects has previously been published. This study is to describe the clinical and radiologic aspects, as well as surgical outcomes in a group of South Korean patients...
- Trabecular microarchitecture of hominoid thoracic vertebrae
Meghan M Cotter
Department of Anatomy, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292:1098-106. 2009
..Furthermore, we theorize that trabeculae in ape thoracic vertebrae would not be expected to become preferentially aligned if bone volume fraction was decreased...
- [Research of the peak force of pullout about different thoracic hemi-epiphyseal compression staples in animal]
Department of Orthopedics, General Hospital of Chinese People s Liberation Army, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 45:976-8. 2007
..To evaluate the initial dislocation resistance of the pullout force of different material or different type of goats thoracic hemi-epiphyseal compression staples...
- Evaluation of the mobility of adjacent segments after posterior thoracolumbar fixation: a biomechanical study
Department of Trauma Surgery, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany
Eur Spine J 10:295-300. 2001
..This could be responsible for symptoms like low back pain after spinal surgery...
- Evolution of bone mineral density after percutaneous kyphoplasty in fresh osteoporotic vertebral body fractures and adjacent vertebrae along with sagittal spine alignment
Orthopaedic Department of General Hospital Agios Andreas, Patras, Greece
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:293-8. 2008
..Prospective controlled cohort study of 27 adult osteoporotic patients who underwent kyphoplasty for fresh osteoporotic spinal fractures...
- Surgical treatment of 40 patients with thoracic ossification of the ligamentum flavum
Department of Orthopedics, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
J Neurosurg Spine 4:191-7. 2006
..The authors evaluated different surgical methods used to treat thoracic ossification of the ligamentum flavum (OLF)...
- Thoracic radiculopathy from a paravertebral mesothelial cyst
Neurosurgical Department, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:989-91. 2006
..Although highly unusual, paravertebral mesothelial cyst should be considered in the differential diagnosis for lesions inducing dorsal radicular pain...
- Biomechanical analysis of derotation of the thoracic spine using pedicle screws
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1039-43. 2010
..Biomechanical analysis of derotational load-to-failure of pedicle screw (PS) instrumentation in cadaveric thoracic spinal segments...
- Transpedicular bone grafting following short-segment posterior instrumentation for acute thoracolumbar burst fracture
Jen Chung Liao
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, No 5 Fu Shin St, Kweishian, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Orthopedics 32:493. 2009
..Analysis of the results indicated that this technique effectively corrects deformities, restores vertebral height, prevents early implant failure, and provides satisfactory clinical results...
- Complications of thoracic pedicle screws in scoliosis treatment
Mario Di Silvestre
Spine Surgery Department, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1655-61. 2007
..A retrospective study...
- Vertebral fracture status and the World Health Organization risk factors for predicting osteoporotic fracture risk in Japan
Dept of Clinical Studies, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, 5 2 Hijiyama Park, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, 732 0815, Japan
Bone 49:520-5. 2011
..The objective of this study was to evaluate potential risk factors for osteoporotic fractures, including morphometric spine fracture status and the WHO risk factors for predicting 4-year fracture risk...