- Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion in patients with cervical disc degeneration: a prospective outcome study of 258 patients (181 fused with autologous bone graft and 77 fused with a PEEK cage)
Department of Neurosurgery Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
BMC Surg 10:10. 2010
- Cervical range of motion discriminates between asymptomatic persons and those with whiplash
M M Sterling
Department of Physiotherapy, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2090-4. 2001
..2%, specificity 95.3%). CONCLUSIONS: Range of motion was capable of discriminating between asymptomatic persons and those with persistent whiplash-associated disorders...
- Effect of intramedullary signal changes on the surgical outcome of patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy
Departments of Neurosurgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, 110029, New Delhi, India
Spine J 3:33-45. 2003
..However, the prognostic significance of signal intensity changes remains controversial...
- Laminectomy and posterior cervical plating for multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy and ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: effects on cervical alignment, spinal cord compression, and neurological outcome
John K Houten
Department of Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Neurosurgery 52:1081-7; discussion 1087-8. 2003
- Systematic review of the effectiveness of cervical epidurals in the management of chronic neck pain
Ramsin M Benyamin
Millennium Pain Center, Bloomington, IL 61701, USA
Pain Physician 12:137-57. 2009
..However, the literature supporting cervical epidural steroids in managing chronic pain problems has been scant and no systematic review dedicated to the evaluation of cervical interlaminar epidurals has been performed in the past...
- Why do almost all mammals have seven cervical vertebrae? Developmental constraints, Hox genes, and cancer
Institute for Evolutionary and Ecological Sciences, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
J Exp Zool 285:19-26. 1999
Mammals have seven cervical vertebrae, a number that remains remarkably constant...
- The NEtherlands Cervical Kinematics (NECK) trial. Cost-effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with or without interbody fusion and arthroplasty in the treatment of cervical disc herniation; a double-blind randomised multicenter study
Mark P Arts
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Center Haaglanden, The Hague, The Netherlands
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:122. 2010
..We present the design of the NECK trial, a randomised study on cost-effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with or without interbody fusion and arthroplasty in patients with cervical disc herniation...
- Modified plate-only open-door laminoplasty versus laminectomy and fusion for the treatment of cervical stenotic myelopathy
Department of Orthopedics, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Orthopedics 36:e79-87. 2013
..For this reason, modified laminoplasty may be a more viable option for patients with cervical stenotic myelopathy...
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings of fatty infiltrate in the cervical flexors in chronic whiplash
James M Elliott
Centre for Clinical Research in Spinal Pain, Injury and Health, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Division of Physiotherapy, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:948-54. 2010
..Retrospective investigation of muscle changes in patients suffering from chronic whiplash-associated disorders (WAD)...
- Phrenic motor neuron degeneration compromises phrenic axonal circuitry and diaphragm activity in a unilateral cervical contusion model of spinal cord injury
Department of Neuroscience, Farber Institute for Neurosciences, Thomas Jefferson University Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA
Exp Neurol 235:539-52. 2012
- Anterior cervical discectomy with arthroplasty versus arthrodesis for single-level cervical spondylosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e43407. 2012
..To estimate the effectiveness of anterior cervical discectomy with arthroplasty (ACDA) compared to anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (ACDF) for patient-important outcomes for single-level cervical spondylosis...
- Prospective, randomized, multicenter study of cervical arthroplasty: 269 patients from the Kineflex|C artificial disc investigational device exemption study with a minimum 2-year follow-up: clinical article
Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine Associates, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 15:348-58. 2011
..This prospective, randomized, multicenter study evaluates the safety and efficacy of a new metal-on-metal CTDR implant (Kineflex|C) by comparing it with ACDF in the treatment of single-level spondylosis with radiculopathy...
- Does high dose methylprednisolone sodium succinate really improve neurological status in patient with acute cervical cord injury?: a prospective study about neurological recovery and early complications
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe Red Cross Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:2121-4. 2009
..Consecutive cohort study...
- Prevalence of heterotopic ossification after cervical total disc arthroplasty: a meta-analysis
Department of Orthopedics, Second Military Medical University affiliated Changzheng Hosipital, 415 Fengyang Road, Shanghai, 200003, People s Republic of China
Eur Spine J 21:674-80. 2012
..But limited studies have focused on prevalence of HO following cervical total disc arthroplasty (CTDA) and the published data show controversial results...
- Clinical accuracy of three-dimensional fluoroscopy-based computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement: a retrospective comparative study of conventional versus computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement
Department of Spine and Orthopaedic Surgery, Konan Kosei Hospital, Konan City, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 13:606-11. 2010
..The authors performed a retrospective clinical study to evaluate the feasibility and accuracy of cervical pedicle screw (CPS) placement using 3D fluoroscopy-based navigation (3D FN)...
- A new rating scale for open-field evaluation of behavioral recovery after cervical spinal cord injury in rats
Neurosciences Intégratives et Adaptatives, UMR 6149, Universite de Provence CNRS, Marseille, France
J Neurotrauma 26:1043-53. 2009
..See online Supplementary Material (scoring spreadsheet and videotape recordings) at www.liebertonline.com...
- Operative treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy
Raj D Rao
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:1619-40. 2006
- A review of the pathophysiology of cervical spondylotic myelopathy with insights for potential novel mechanisms drawn from traumatic spinal cord injury
M G Fehlings
Division of Neurosurgery, Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:2730-7. 1998
..Fundamental research at a cellular and molecular level, particularly in the areas of glutamatergic toxicity and apoptosis may result in clinically relevant treatments for this condition...
- Spinal cord injury medicine. 1. Epidemiology and classification
Chester H Ho
Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:S49-54. 2007
..This article specifically focuses on the changing demographics of traumatic SCI, the classification of SCI, the common causes of nontraumatic SCI, and the incidence and prevalence of myelomeningocele...
- Environmental factors and cervical artery dissection
Stroke Unit, Division of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Front Neurol Neurosci 20:44-53. 2005
- Mechanical properties of the human cervical spine as shown by three-dimensional load-displacement curves
M M Panjabi
Biomechanics Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8071, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2692-700. 2001
..The mechanical properties of multilevel human cervical spines were investigated by applying pure rotational moments to each specimen and measuring multidirectional intervertebral motions...
- A prospective randomized multicenter clinical evaluation of an anterior cervical fusion cage
R J Hacker
Oregon Neurosurgery Specialists, Eugene, Oregon 97401, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2646-54; discussion 2655. 2000
..A prospective, concurrently controlled, randomized, multicenter trial of an anterior Bagby and Kuslich cervical fusion cage (BAK/C; Sulzer Spine-Tech, Minneapolis, MN) for treatment of degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine...
- The effects of rigid collar placement on intracranial and cerebral perfusion pressures
The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Centre for Anaesthesia, University College London Hospitals, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Anaesthesia 56:511-3. 2001
..These findings suggest that in head-injured patients, rigid collars should be removed as soon as cervical spine injury has been excluded or, if this is delayed, an alternative method of spinal stabilisation considered...
- Changes of cervical spinal cord and cervical spinal canal with age in asymptomatic subjects
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Spinal Cord 41:159-63. 2003
..Prospective study on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and radiographic findings of the cervical spine...
- Postlaminectomy kyphosis
T J Albert
Thomas Jefferson University, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:2738-45. 1998
..This is a review of the risk factors, biomechanics, work-up, and surgical treatment of postlaminectomy kyphosis...
- Cervical spine trauma in children: a review
Department of Neurosurgery, Primary Children s Medical Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84113, USA
Neurosurg Focus 20:E5. 2006
..Surgical options have improved with the development of instrumentation specifically for children, but special considerations exist, such as the small size and growth potential of the pediatric spine...
- Investigation of axial symptoms after cervical laminoplasty, using questionnaire survey
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizonocho, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8507, Japan
Spine J 6:221-7. 2006
..However, axial symptoms are sometimes recognized before surgery, or also after corpectomy. Addressing this issue becomes complicated...
- Cervical spondylotic myelopathy due to chronic compression: the role of signal intensity changes in magnetic resonance images
Juan Jose Fernández de Rota
Department of Spinal Surgery, University Hospital Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
J Neurosurg Spine 6:17-22. 2007
..The aim of the present study was to determine whether T2-weighted MR imaging can help assess the prognosis of the disease...
- Postmortem study of the spinal cord showing snake-eyes appearance due to damage by ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament and kyphotic deformity
Department of Neurological Surgery, Aichi Medical University, Aichi, Japan
Spinal Cord 43:503-7. 2005
..CLINICAL DESIGN: A case report...
- Cervicogenic headache: diagnostic criteria
Dept. of Neurology, Trondheim University Hospital, Norway
Headache 30:725-6. 1990
- Complications of buttress plate stabilization of cervical corpectomy
K D Riew
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:2404-10. 1999
..Surgeons who utilize these types of buttress plates without additional posterior instrumentation should be aware of the potential complications of buttress plate fixation...
- Multivariate analysis of the neurological outcome of surgery for cervical compressive myelopathy
Division of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Fukui, 23 Shimoaizuki, Matsuoka, Fukui, 910 1193, Japan
J Orthop Sci 10:564-73. 2005
..We examined the results of multivariate analysis and multiple regression analysis of the neurological outcome of patients treated by cervical cord decompression...
- Anterior cervical interbody fusion with a titanium box cage: early radiological assessment of fusion and subsidence
Hans Peter W van Jonbergen
Institute of Spinal Surgery and Applied Research, Sint Maartenskliniek, Hengstdal 3, 6522 JV Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Spine J 5:645-9; discussion 649. 2005
..The use of stand-alone cervical interbody cages in anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (ACDF) has become popular, but high subsidence rates have been reported in the literature...
- Subsidence of stand-alone cervical cages in anterior interbody fusion: warning
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Eur Spine J 12:513-6. 2003
..At 15 months' follow-up, her cage was broken. Our preliminary results, so far limited in number, represent a serious warning to the proponents of stand-alone cervical cages..
- Posterior C1-C2 fusion with polyaxial screw and rod fixation
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Center for Spinal Surgery, Karlsbad Langensteinbach, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2467-71. 2001
..In addition, the initial results of this technique on 37 patients are described...
- Properties of propriospinal neurons in the C3-C4 segments mediating disynaptic pyramidal excitation to forelimb motoneurons in the macaque monkey
Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
J Neurophysiol 95:3674-85. 2006
- Anterior approaches to fusion of the cervical spine: a metaanalysis of fusion rates
Justin F Fraser
Department of Neurological Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 6:298-303. 2007
..The authors conducted a metaanalysis of studies published after 1990 in which fusion rates achieved with each procedure were reported for patients with degenerative disease at one, two, and three disc levels...
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion associated complications
Kostas N Fountas
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Center of Central Georgia, Mercer University, School of Medicine, Macon, GA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2310-7. 2007
..Retrospective review study with literature review...
- Anterior cervical plating enhances arthrodesis after discectomy and fusion with cortical allograft
Michael G Kaiser
Emory Clinic, Department of Neurosurgery, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Neurosurgery 50:229-36; discussion 236-8. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of anterior cervical plating for fusion enhancement after one- and two-level ACDF with cortical allograft...
- Preliminary clinical experience with the Bryan Cervical Disc Prosthesis
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Neurosurgery 51:840-5; discussion 845-7. 2002
- Solis cage (PEEK) for anterior cervical fusion: preliminary radiological results with emphasis on fusion and subsidence
Arvind G Kulkarni
Spine Division, Department of Orthopaedics, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074
Spine J 7:205-9. 2007
..Recent literature has raised some apprehensions with regard to the usage of cervical cages...
- Complications of posterior cervical plating
J G Heller
Department of Orthopaedics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2442-8. 1995
..This study finds the risk of lateral mass screw insertion to be considerably less than predicted in vitro. The present study reports other complications that were not predicted in laboratory studies...
- Unravelling the complexity of muscle impairment in chronic neck pain
Division of Physiotherapy, The University of Queensland, Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia
Man Ther 9:125-33. 2004
..In turn, this has considerable implications for the rehabilitation of muscle function in people with neck pain disorders...
- The efficacy of the synthetic interbody cage and Grafton for anterior cervical fusion
Hyun Woong Park
Department of Neurosurgery, Chonnam National University Hospital and Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E591-5. 2009
..Prospective study of 31 patients who underwent anterior cervical fusion...
- Interobserver and intraobserver reliability of the japanese orthopaedic association scoring system for evaluation of cervical compression myelopathy
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1890-4; discussion 1895. 2001
..It evaluates the severity of myelopathy by allocating points based on degree of dysfunction in each category...
- The effect of neck pain on cervical kinematics, as assessed in a virtual environment
Hilla Sarig Bahat
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Haifa, Israel
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:1884-90. 2010
..To compare cervical kinematics during functional motion in patients with neck pain and in asymptomatic participants using a novel virtual reality assessment...
- Comparative evaluation of hand wrist radiographs with cervical vertebrae for skeletal maturation in 10-12 years old children
Department of Orthodontics, D A V Dental College, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 24:127-35. 2006
A comparative evaluation of hand wrist and cervical vertebrae was done to know the validity of cervical vertebrae as maturity indicators...
- Method for simultaneous voxel-based morphometry of the brain and cervical spinal cord area measurements using 3D-MDEFT
Patrick A B Freund
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology, London, United Kingdom
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1242-7. 2010
..To investigate whether a 3D-modified driven equilibrium Fourier transform (MDEFT)-based acquisition protocol established for brain morphometry also yields reliable information about the cross-sectional spinal cord area (SCA)...
- Reproducibility of tract-specific magnetization transfer and diffusion tensor imaging in the cervical spinal cord at 3 tesla
Seth A Smith
F M Kirby Center for Functional Brain Imaging, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
NMR Biomed 23:207-17. 2010
..These column-specific MR measurements are expected to enhance understanding of the intimate structure-function relationship in the cervical spinal cord and may be useful for the assessment of disease progression...
- Noncontiguous anterior decompression and fusion for multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy: a prospective randomized control clinical study
Xiao Feng Lian
Department of Orthopedics, Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Eur Spine J 19:713-9. 2010
..In terms of surgical time, blood loss, VAS, fusion rate and cervical alignment, NADF was superior compared with CCF...
- Cervical laminectomy for the treatment of cervical degenerative myelopathy
Timothy C Ryken
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 11:142-9. 2009
..The objective of this systematic review was to use evidence-based medicine to examine the efficacy of cervical laminectomy for the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM)...
- In vitro study of accuracy of cervical pedicle screw insertion using an electronic conductivity device (ATPS part III)
Department for Traumatology and Sport Injuries, Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Eur Spine J 18:1300-13. 2009
..In addition, we presented a reasonable laboratory setting for the clinical introduction of an ATPS-plate system...
- Impact of neck and arm pain on overall health status
Scott D Daffner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2030-5. 2003
..A prospective, multicenter, cross-sectional analysis of data from the National Spine Network database...
- Undetected vertebral artery groove and foramen violations during C1 lateral mass and C2 pedicle screw placement
Jin S Yeom
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E942-9. 2008
..Prospective consecutive case series...
- Cervical vertebrae anomalies-incidental findings on lateral cephalograms
Division of Orthodontics, Department of Dental Surgery, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, India
Angle Orthod 78:176-80. 2008
..While studying the patients' cephalograms, abnormal radiographic findings were discovered in their cervical vertebrae. Because the patients were asymptomatic, early diagnosis based on these radiographic findings made the ..
- Dynamic plates in anterior cervical fusion surgery: graft settling and cervical alignment
Department of Neurosurgery, John Hunter Hospital and University of Newcastle, New Lambton, NSW, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1567-71. 2009
- The assessment of the cervical spine. Part 1: Range of motion and proprioception
Department of Physiotherapy, TEI Lamias, 3rd Km Old National Road Lamia Athens, Lamia 35100, Greece
J Bodyw Mov Ther 15:114-24. 2011
..The aim of the first part of this systematic critical review is to identify the factors influencing the assessment of range of motion and proprioception of the cervical spine...
- Corticomotor representation to a human forearm muscle changes following cervical spinal cord injury
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Eur J Neurosci 34:1839-46. 2011
..Therefore, cortical forearm motor representations may reorganize towards the intrinsic hand motor representation to maximize output to muscles of the impaired forearm following SCI...
- Anterior corpectomy and reconstruction with titanium mesh cage and dynamic cervical plate for cervical spondylotic myelopathy in elderly osteoporosis patients
Orthopaedic Department, Baoan People s Hospital, Shenzhen 518101, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:1369-74. 2011
..This retrospective study was to evaluate the relationship between osteoporosis and dynamic cervical plates in screw-plate or screw-bone interface of elderly cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM) patients...
- Anterior versus posterior surgery for multilevel cervical myelopathy, which one is better? A systematic review
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou, People s Republic of China
Eur Spine J 20:224-35. 2011
..While for OPLL patients with occupying ratio ≥ 60%, anterior surgery had superior clinical outcome to posterior surgery...
- The vertebral artery and the cervical pedicle: morphometric analysis of a critical neighborhood
Department of Neurological Surgery, Hospital Munich Bogenhausen, Teaching Hospital of the Technical University Munich, Germany
J Neurosurg Spine 13:52-60. 2010
..Because of this and the high incidence of irregular VA pathways and different entry points, it may be helpful to review neck CT angiography studies before considering posterior instrumentation procedures in the cervical spine...
- A prospective, randomized trial comparing expansile cervical laminoplasty and cervical laminectomy and fusion for multilevel cervical myelopathy
Glen R Manzano
Department of Neurological Surgery and the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Neurosurgery 70:264-77. 2012
..Controversy exists as to the best posterior operative procedure to treat multilevel compressive cervical spondylotic myelopathy...
- Normal morphology, age-related changes and abnormal findings of the cervical spine. Part II: Magnetic resonance imaging of over 1,200 asymptomatic subjects
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Eur Spine J 21:1499-507. 2012
- Magnetic resonance 4D flow characteristics of cerebrospinal fluid at the craniocervical junction and the cervical spinal canal
Alexander C Bunck
Department of Clinical Radiology, University Hospital of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Eur Radiol 21:1788-96. 2011
..To evaluate the applicability of 4D phase contrast (4D PC) MR imaging in the assessment of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics in healthy volunteers and patients with lesions at the craniocervical junction or the cervical spinal canal...
- Posterior fixation of the upper cervical spine: contemporary techniques
Richard J Bransford
Department of Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 19:63-71. 2011
..Awareness of the risks and benefits associated with the use of modern instrumentation and thorough familiarity with the anatomy of the upper cervical spine are essential to avoid complications and optimize outcomes...
- Cervical spine surgery: an historical perspective
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, University Campus Bio Medico of Rome, Via Alvaro del Portillo, 200, 00128, Rome, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:639-48. 2011
..Continued innovation in surgery requires a knowledge and understanding of historical advances with a recognition of successes and failures...
- The incidence of adjacent segment degeneration after cervical disc arthroplasty (CDA): a meta analysis of randomized controlled trials
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Medcal College, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, PR China
PLoS ONE 7:e35032. 2012
..However, whether replacement arthoplasty in the spine achieves its primary patient centered objective of lowering the frequency of adjacent segment degeneration is not verified yet...
- Comparison of 4D phase-contrast MRI flow measurements to computational fluid dynamics simulations of cerebrospinal fluid motion in the cervical spine
Theresia I Yiallourou
Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 7:e52284. 2012
..Future studies are needed to investigate whether integration of fine anatomical structures and gross motion of the brain and/or spinal cord into the computational model will lead to a better agreement between the two techniques...
- Safety and effectiveness of bone allografts in anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery
Larry E Miller
Miller Scientific Consulting, Inc, Biltmore Lake, NC, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:2045-50. 2011
- Reproducibility and validity of digital inclinometry for measuring cervical range of motion in normal subjects
Department of Physical Therapy, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Physiother Res Int 15:42-8. 2010
- Results of cervical arthroplasty compared with anterior discectomy and fusion: four-year clinical outcomes in a prospective, randomized controlled trial
Rick C Sasso
Indiana Spine Group, 8402 Harcourt Road, Suite 400, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:1684-92. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the midterm safety and effectiveness of the Bryan disc as an alternative to arthrodesis following anterior cervical discectomy...
- Techniques for cervical interbody grafting
Timothy C Ryken
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 11:203-20. 2009
..The objective of this systematic review was to use evidence-based medicine to determine the efficacy of interbody graft techniques...
- Comparison between anterior and posterior decompression with instrumentation for cervical spondylotic myelopathy: sagittal alignment and clinical outcome
Department of Neurosurgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Neurosurg Focus 28:E15. 2010
..The authors compared the anterior and posterior approach used to treat multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM), focusing on sagittal alignment and clinical outcome...
- Analysis of the three United States Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption cervical arthroplasty trials
Cheerag D Upadhyaya
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 16:216-28. 2012
..These 3 studies evaluated the Prestige ST, Bryan, and ProDisc-C artificial discs. The authors analyzed the combined results of these trials...
- Rewiring of hindlimb corticospinal neurons after spinal cord injury
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Neurosci 13:97-104. 2010
..Therefore, axotomized hindlimb corticospinal neurons can be incorporated into the sensorimotor circuits of the unaffected forelimb...
- Assessment of adjacent-segment disease in patients treated with cervical fusion or arthroplasty: a prospective 2-year study
James T Robertson
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 3:417-23. 2005
- Lateral mass screw complications: analysis of 1662 screws
Department of Orthopaedics, Crete University, Medical School, Herakleion, Athens, Greece
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:415-20. 2011
..Retrospective, consecutive patient series...
- Percutaneous cervical nucleoplasty in the treatment of cervical disc herniation
Orthopedic Department, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, 510150, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Eur Spine J 17:1664-9. 2008
- Long-term follow-up of cervical radiographic sagittal spinal alignment after 1- and 2-level cervical corpectomy for the treatment of spondylosis of the subaxial cervical spine causing radiculomyelopathy or myelopathy: a retrospective study
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0515, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 16:2-7. 2012
..In this retrospective review, long-term radiographic outcomes are reported for 130 patients after 1- or 2-level cervical corpectomy for spondylotic myelopathy or radiculomyelopathy...
- Characterization of cyclic CSF flow in the foramen magnum and upper cervical spinal canal with MR flow imaging and computational fluid dynamics
Scientific Computing Department, Simula Research Laboratory, Lysaker, Norway
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:997-1002. 2010
..Additional simulations of CSF flow supplemented by PC MR will lead to better measures for distinguishing pathologic flow abnormalities that cause syringomyelia, headaches, and other clinical manifestations in Chiari I malformations...
- A systematic review of randomized trials on the effect of cervical disc arthroplasty on reducing adjacent-level degeneration
Ricardo Vieira Botelho
Neurosurgical Service, Hospital do Servidor Público do Estado de São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Neurosurg Focus 28:E5. 2010
..Since 2002, cervical disc arthroplasty has been established as an alternative to fusion. The objective of this study was to review data concerning the role of cervical arthroplasty in reducing adjacent-level degeneration...
- Subsidence and nonunion after anterior cervical interbody fusion using a stand-alone polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage
Jae Jun Yang
Depatment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 3:16-23. 2011
..The purposes of the present study are to evaluate the subsidence and nonunion that occurred after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion using a stand-alone intervertebral cage and to analyze the risk factors for the complications...
- Regional impairment of 18F-FDG uptake in the cervical spinal cord in patients with monosegmental chronic cervical myelopathy
Frank Willi Floeth
Department of Neurosurgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur Radiol 20:2925-32. 2010
..The aim of this preliminary report was to assess glucose metabolism in the cervical spine of patients with chronic compressive myelopathy by using FDG PET...
- Morphometric and volumetric analysis of the lateral masses of the lower cervical spine
Kalil G Abdullah
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1476-9. 2009
..Morphometric and volumetric analysis...
- Adjacent segment degeneration and adjacent segment disease: the consequences of spinal fusion?
Alan S Hilibrand
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University and the Rothman Institute, 925 Chestnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine J 4:190S-194S. 2004
..It remains to be seen whether restoration of motion with disc arthroplasty will alter the rate of adjacent segment degeneration or disease...
- Skeletal maturation determined by cervical vertebrae development
Paloma San Román
Department of Orthodontics, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Orthod 24:303-11. 2002
The aim of this study was to determine the validity of cervical vertebrae radiographic assessment to predict skeletal maturation...
- High-resolution magnetic resonance imaging and 18FDG-PET findings of the cervical spinal cord before and after decompressive surgery in patients with compressive myelopathy
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Fukui University Faculty of Medical Sciences, Fukui, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1185-91. 2009
..Evaluation of cervical spinal cord (CSC) of patients with compressive myelopathy by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and high-resolution (18F)fluoro-deoxyglucose (18FDG) positron emission tomography (PET)...
- Independent evaluation of the effects of glibenclamide on reducing progressive hemorrhagic necrosis after cervical spinal cord injury
Phillip G Popovich
Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair and Department of Neuroscience, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, United States
Exp Neurol 233:615-22. 2012
..Thus, independent replication of the Simard et al. data was achieved. These data illustrate that the injury model and type of trauma can determine the efficacy of pre-clinical pharmacological treatments after SCI...
- Micromorphometry and cellular characteristics of the canine cervical intervertebral discs
J A Johnson
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Vet Intern Med 24:1343-9. 2010
..Dogs have a high prevalence of disc-associated cervical spinal cord disorders. Despite this, there are no descriptions of the micromorphometry or cellular characteristics of canine cervical intervertebral discs...
- Outcome of decompression surgery for cervical spinal cord injury without bone and disc injury in patients with spinal cord compression: a multicenter prospective study
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Japan LHWO Spinal Injuries Center, Iizuka, Fukuoka, Japan
Spinal Cord 48:548-53. 2010
..A multicenter prospective study comparing the neurological outcome of patients treated by surgical intervention versus conservative treatment for cervical spinal cord injury (CSCI) without bone and disc injury...
- Association of injury mechanism with the risk of cervical spine fractures
Wendy L Thompson
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont
CJEM 11:14-22. 2009
..Yet, information on the mechanism of injury is often overlooked as a predictor for specific anatomical injury in clinical decision-making. We measured the relationship between mechanism of injury and risk for cervical spine fracture...
- Removing a patient from the spine board: is the lift and slide safer than the log roll?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Trauma 70:1282-5; discussion 1285. 2011
..There are several publications showing unacceptable motion in an unstable spine when log rolling...
- Cervical spine motion generated with manual versus jackson table turning methods in a cadaveric c1-c2 global instability model
Christian P DiPaola
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:2912-8. 2009
..Choice of headrest has a minimal effect on the amount of motion generated during patient transfer, except that the Mayfield device demonstrates a slight trend toward increased C1-C2 motion...
- A systematic review of reliability and validity studies of methods for measuring active and passive cervical range of motion
Mark A Williams
Clinical Trials Unit, University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33:138-55. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to systematically review the literature evaluating the reliability and validity of all available methods for measuring active and passive cervical range of motion (CROM)...
- Cervical disc herniation and cervical spondylosis surgically treated by Cloward procedure: a 10-year-minimum follow-up study
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, University of Bologna, Via G Pupilli 1, 40136, Bologna, Italy
J Orthop Traumatol 11:99-103. 2010
- The source of axial pain after cervical laminoplasty-C7 is more crucial than deep extensor muscles
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Osaka Kosei Nenkin Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2985-8. 2007
..Prospective study to investigate the incidence of axial pain in the 3 different procedures of laminoplasty...
- Outcomes of interbody fusion cages used in 1 and 2-levels anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: titanium cages versus polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages
Chi Chien Niu
Department of Orthopedics Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:310-6. 2010
..A prospective study was performed in case with cervical spondylosis who underwent anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) with titanium or polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages...
- A prospective randomized study of clinical outcomes in patients with cervical compressive myelopathy treated with open-door or French-door laminoplasty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1119-26. 2009
..A prospective randomized clinical study...
- Importance of preserving the C7 spinous process and attached nuchal ligament in French-door laminoplasty to reduce postoperative axial symptoms
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kushiro Rosai Hospital, Hokkaido, Japan
Eur Spine J 16:1417-22. 2007
..Preservation of the C7 spinous process and the attached nuchal ligamentous structures is important to reduce post-laminoplasty axial symptoms...
- Subsidence after anterior cervical inter-body fusion. A randomized prospective clinical trial
Department of Neurosurgery, Kantonsspital Winterthur, Brauerstrasse 15, CH 8401, Winterthur, Switzerland
Neurosurg Rev 32:207-14; discussion 214. 2009
..Although there was no significant difference in a short-term clinical result between the two treatment groups, we recommend the use of cages which preserve the determined segmental height and lordosis...
- Homeotic transformation of cervical vertebrae in Hoxa-4 mutant mice
G S Horan
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:12644-8. 1994
..These results demonstrate that Hoxa-4 plays a role in conferring positional information along the anteroposterior axis to specify the identity of the third and the seventh cervical vertebrae.