- Perspectives on endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery
John A Jane
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Neurosurg Focus 19:E2. 2005
..The authors describe their current endoscopic technique and elucidate the advantages and disadvantages of the pure endoscopic adenomectomy compared with the standard microscopic approach...
- Clinical application of a neuronavigation system in transsphenoidal surgery of pituitary macroadenoma
Department of Neurosurgery, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, No 6 Tiantanxili, Beijing 100050, People s Republic of China
Neurosurg Rev 29:306-11; discussion 311-2. 2006
..Its accuracy of location is very useful and important in determining anatomical structure and protecting normal tissues and vessels. Moreover, fluoroscopy was not required during the surgery...
- High-definition imaging in endoscopic transsphenoidal pituitary surgery
Neurochirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsmedizin, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz, Germany
Am J Rhinol Allergy 25:e13-7. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to compare the image quality of a standard-definition (SD) camera with a new HD camera...
- Epithelioid haemangioendothelioma of the sphenoid bone
Y C Koh
Department of Neurosurgery, Inje University Seoul Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea. heonyoo.thrunet.com
J Clin Neurosci 8:63-6. 2001
The authors report a case of cranial EH occurred in the left sphenoid bone that was totally excised without transfusion. A 26-year-old woman presented with a 1-year history of progressing exophthalmos in the left eye...
- Asymmetry of the sphenoid bone and its suitability as a reference for analyzing craniofacial asymmetry
Yeon H Kim
Division of Orthodontics, Department of Lifelong Oral Health Science, Graduate School of Dentistry, Tohoku University, 4 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 124:656-62. 2003
The purposes of this study were to evaluate the asymmetry of the sphenoid bone and to determine its suitability as a reference for analyzing asymmetry of the skull...
- Intraosseous lipoma of the body of the sphenoid bone
Martin R MacFarlane
Department of Neurosurgery, Christchurch, New Zealand
J Clin Neurosci 12:105-8. 2005
A case of intraosseous lipoma arising from the body of the sphenoid bone with intrasellar and suprasellar components is reported...
- Giant pituitary tumors: a study based on surgical treatment of 118 cases
Department of Neurosurgery, King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth, Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, Parel, Mumbai, India
Surg Neurol 61:436-45; discussion 445-6. 2004
..The aim of the study is to analyze the nature, extensions, and dural relationships of hormonally inactive giant pituitary tumors. The relevance of the anatomic relationships to surgery is analyzed...
- Malignant giant cell tumor of the skull base originating from clivus and sphenoid bone
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hacettepe University, and Department of Neurosurgery, Guven Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Neurooncol 76:149-52. 2006
We present a case report of a giant cell tumor located in the skull base orginating from clivus and sphenoid bone treated by surgery and external beam radiotherapy (EBRT).
- Combined simultaneous endoscopic transsphenoidal and endoscopic transventricular resection of a giant pituitary macroadenoma
J P Greenfield
Department of Neurological Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York 10021, USA
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:306-9. 2008
..We describe the successful implementation of a minimal access endoscopic combined extended transsphenoidal and transventricular approach that avoids craniotomy and brain retraction...
- Transsphenoidal surgery for acromegaly: endocrinological follow-up of 98 patients
Institute of Endocrinology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Neurosurgery 48:1239-43; discussion 1244-5. 2001
..We analyzed our postoperative results in a large cohort of patients with acromegaly...
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the sphenoid bone extending into the ethmoid sinus, nasal cavity and orbita in a child
Dr Lütfi Kirdar Kartal Reseach and Training Hospital, Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 19:172-6. 2009
..The patient did not receive postoperative radiotherapy. No recurrence was observed after 22 months. ABC should be considered in the differential diagnosis of bone neoplasms in this region...
- Endoscopic endonasal approach for pituitary adenoma: surgical complications in 301 patients
Jackson A Gondim
Department of Neurosurgery, General Hospital of Fortaleza, Av Eng Santana Jr 2977 1402, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Pituitary 14:174-83. 2011
..Successful endoscopic pituitary surgery requires extensive training in the use of an endoscope and careful planning of the surgery. Additional improvement can be expected with greater experience and new technical developments...
- Combined trans-sphenoidal and simultaneous trans-ventricular-endoscopic decompression of a giant pituitary adenoma: case report
Bal Krishna Ojha
Department of Neurosurgery, CSM Earlier King George s Medical University, Lucknow 226003, India
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151:843-7; discussion 847. 2009
..This is the first report of the simultaneous combined use of trans-sphenoidal and trans-ventricular-endoscopic route for decompression of a giant pituitary adenoma...
- Role of craniotomy in the management of pituitary adenomas and sellar/parasellar tumors
The University of Chicago, Division of Neurosurgery, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 6:S79-83. 2006
..Overall, craniotomies will continue to play a role in the management of patients with sellar/parasellar tumors, although patient selection and careful preoperative evaluation are key elements in choosing the most appropriate approach...
- The history and evolution of transsphenoidal surgery
J K Liu
Department of Neurosurgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurosurg 95:1083-96. 2001
..The evolution of the transsphenoidal approaches and their current applications and modifications are discussed...
- Transcranial echo-guided transsphenoidal surgical approach for the removal of large macroadenomas
Department of Neurosurgery, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Neurosurg 100:68-72. 2004
..To overcome these disadvantages, the authors have developed transcranial echo-guided transsphenoidal surgery...
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal approach for pituitary adenomas invading the cavernous sinus
Department of Neurosurgery, Kocaeli University, School of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Neurosurg 112:99-107. 2010
..In this report, the authors describe their experience with surgical access to the cavernous sinus via a fully transnasal endoscopic approach in 20 cases. Clinical and endocrinological follow-up are discussed...
- Transsphenoidal surgery in acromegaly investigated by intraoperative high-field magnetic resonance imaging
Department of Neurosurgery, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 153:239-48. 2005
..The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of intraoperative high-field (1.5 Tesla) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) on the results of transsphenoidal surgery of GH-secreting pituitary macroadenomas...
- Sphenoid wing meningiomas with osseous involvement
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Hannover Nordstadt, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Surg Neurol 64:37-43; discussion 43. 2005
..Sufficient resection of these meningiomas requires extensive surgical exposure. We report on 82 patients with meningiomas infiltrating the sphenoid wing, analyzing radiological appearance and its influence on surgical management...
- Transsphenoidal and transcranial surgery for pituitary adenomas
William T Couldwell
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2303, USA
J Neurooncol 69:237-56. 2004
..More recently, stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) has become an important adjuvant management technique in the management of difficult pituitary adenomas, especially with cavernous sinus invasion...
- Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the sphenoid bone with unusual imaging features: a case report
Department of Neuroradiology, Neurosciences Center, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107:528-31. 2005
..Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull is a very rare entity. We report a case of Ewing's sarcoma of the sphenoid bone in a 5-year-old boy...
- Objective criteria for successful transsphenoidal removal of suprasellar nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. A prospective study
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 149:21-9; discussion 29. 2007
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging-guided transsphenoidal surgery for giant pituitary adenomas
Department of Neurosurgery, Cantonal Hospital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Neurosurg Rev 33:83-90. 2010
..More radical removal of adenomas in a single surgical session combined with low complication rates are accomplished. This may add to a favorable clinical and endocrinological outcome in GPAs...
- Non-functioning pituitary adenomas: endocrinological and clinical outcome after transsphenoidal and transcranial surgery
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:323-7. 2004
..To study improvement of anterior pituitary function after transsphenoidal and transcranial surgery of non-functioning (NF) pituitary macro- and microadenomas...
- The morphology and morphometry of the foramina of the greater wing of the human sphenoid bone
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Regional Specialist Hospital, Radom, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 64:188-93. 2005
The greater wing of the human sphenoid bone is pierced by several foramina, which contain, as a main element, the venous anastomoses between the interior of the skull and the extracranial veins...
- Fully endoscopic endonasal vs. transseptal transsphenoidal pituitary surgery
M S Kabil
Skull Base Institute, 8635 West Third Institute, Suite 1170 W, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:348-54. 2005
..Our results conclude that the fully endoscopic endonasal technique is a safe and effective method for removal of pituitary adenomas providing more complete tumor removal and reducing complications...
- [Embryology of the sphenoid bone]
Laboratoire d Histologie et Embryologie et UMR CNRS 7000, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière et Université Paris 6, 105 Boulevard de l Hôpital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
J Neuroradiol 30:196-200. 2003
The sphenoid bone represents a complex structure in terms of anatomy and embryology. Indeed, it is formed by the fusion of different primordia whose embryonic origins are different...
- Review of complications due to foramen ovale puncture
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Firat University, Tip Fakultesi, Norosirurji AD, Arastirma Hastanesi, Elazig 23100, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 14:563-8. 2007
..Thermocoagulation of the lateral wall of the cavernous sinus may damage the cranial nerves by heat, giving rise to pareses...
- Endoscopic endonasal pituitary surgery: surgical and outcome analysis of 50 cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Clin Neurosci 14:410-5. 2007
..In this retrospective study, we analysed the surgical technique and outcome of 50 patients with pituitary lesions treated with an endoscopic endonasal trans-sphenoidal approach...
- Incidence, morphology and morphometry of the foramen of Vesalius: complementary study for a safer planning and execution of the trigeminal rhizotomy technique
André Luis Shinohara
Department of Biological Sciences, FOB USP, Av Octavio Pinheiro Brisolla, 9 75, Aeroporto, Bauru, Sao Paulo, 17012 901, Brazil
Surg Radiol Anat 32:159-64. 2010
The foramen of Vesalius (FV) is located in the greater wing of the sphenoid bone between the foramen ovale (FO) and the foramen rotundum in an intracranial view...
- Giant cell reparative granuloma of the sphenoid bone
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Division of Neuroradiology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1675-7. 2006
We present 2 patients with giant cell reparative granuloma (GCRG) of the sphenoid bone. The first patient is an 8-year-old boy with involvement of the greater wing, and the second is a 53- year-old man with a lateral pterygoid plate mass...
- Abnormal development of the lesser wing of the sphenoid with microphthalmos and microcephaly
Radiology Department, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, PO Box 7191, Riyadh 11462, Saudi Arabia
Neuroradiology 43:178-82. 2001
We report two patients with abnormal development of the lesser wing of the sphenoid bone, globe, optic nerve and cerebral hemisphere without stigmata of neurofibromatosis type 1...
- Reassessment of sphenoid dysplasia associated with neurofibromatosis type 1
Diagnostic Imaging Department, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23:644-8. 2002
Sphenoid dysplasia associated with neurofibromatosis type 1 is classically thought to be primarily related to abnormal development of the sphenoid bone. We investigated the possibility that these changes may be progressive.
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery
Department of Neurological Sciences, Division of Neurosurgery, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
Neurosurgery 55:933-40; discussion 940-1. 2004
..The procedure ends with the reconstruction of the sella and removal of the endoscope from the nostril, without any postoperative nasal packing...
- Decompression of endocrine orbitopathy via an extended extradural pterional approach
Clinic of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Duisburg, Duisburg, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:143-9; discussion 149. 2005
..We present an overview of the treatment and clinical outcome of 13 patients with endocrine ophthalmopathy and 20 orbital decompressions via an extradural pterional approach, carried out in our center from 1995 to 2002...
- [CT and anatomo-pathologic examination in the diagnosis of cavernous sinus lesions]
Disciplina de Radiologie oro maxilo facială si Neuroradiologie, Facultatea de Medicina Dentara, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 111:89-97. 2007
..This study presents the CT imaging and histological aspects of a lot of cavernous sinus disease that include primary and secondary neoplastic processes, congenital lesions, infectious and inflammatory processes, and vascular abnormalities...
- Adaptation of a hexapod-based robotic system for extended endoscope-assisted transsphenoidal skull base surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:41-6. 2004
..To adapt a hexapod-based robotic system for use in extended endoscope-assisted transsphenoidal skull base surgery...
- Transsphenoidal surgery in Cushing disease: 10 years of experience in 34 consecutive cases
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurosurg 100:634-8. 2004
..In this report the authors present 10 years of experience in the treatment of patients with Cushing disease who were followed up with the same protocol and treated by the same surgeon...
- The role of transsphenoidal surgery in the treatment of craniopharyngiomas
Istituto di Neurochirurgia, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
J Neurosurg 100:445-51. 2004
..Moreover, TSS was also performed in some cases of purely suprasellar craniopharyngiomas. In this study the surgical indications and the results obtained in all patients who had undergone TSS were analyzed...
- Sublabial transnasal approach combined with a partial resection of the nasal floor for midline skull base tumors
Department of Neurological Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera Wakayama, 641 0012 Japan
J Clin Neurosci 14:267-72. 2007
..Experience with these three patients indicates that the sublabial transnasal approach combined with a partial resection of the nasal floor is a safe, less invasive and effective approach in certain cases of midline skull base tumors...
- Novel closure technique for the endonasal transsphenoidal approach. Technical note
James K Liu
Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Neurosurg 100:161-4. 2004
..This technique has been performed in 67 patients harboring sellar and parasellar lesions. All patients recovered rapidly without significant rhinological sequelae...
- Avoidance of carotid artery injuries in transsphenoidal surgery with the Doppler probe and micro-hook blades
Joshua R Dusick
Division of Neurosurgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Neurosurgery 60:322-8; discussion 328-9. 2007
..We then describe our subsequent protocol to prevent this complication in which we use the Doppler probe for carotid localization and micro-hook blades for lateral dural opening...
- Acquisition of surgical skills for endonasal skull base surgery: a training program
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Laryngoscope 117:699-705. 2007
..Endonasal surgery represents a radical change in the practice of cranial base surgery and requires the acquisition of new knowledge and surgical skills. The optimal training program for surgeons has not been established...
- [Predictive value of the Knosp classification in grading the surgical resection of invasive pituitary macroadenomas. A prospective study of 23 cases]
Servicios de Neurocirugía Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona España
Neurocirugia (Astur) 17:519-26. 2006
..To evaluate our experience regarding the treatment of pituitary macroadenomas with cavernous sinus invasion in a series of 23 cases of transphenoidal resection...
- Management of pituitary apoplexy: clinical experience with 40 patients
Institute of Endocrinology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:151-7; discussion 157. 2005
..We report our experience with a series of 40 patients presenting with pituitary apoplexy...
- Rare fatal vascular complication of transsphenoidal surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University, Graz, Austria
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:321-5; discussion 325. 2005
..On the second postoperative day, the patient died as a result of this extensive stroke. The mechanisms of this rare complication after transsphenoidal surgery are theorized and the sensitivity of imaging methods is discussed...
- BioGlue for prevention of postoperative cerebrospinal fluid leaks in transsphenoidal surgery: A case series
Joshua R Dusick
Division of Neurosurgery, University of California at Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Surg Neurol 66:371-6; discussion 376. 2006
..The efficacy of BioGlue (CryoLife, Inc, Atlanta, Ga) surgical adhesive in transsphenoidal surgery was assessed as an adjunct in the prevention of postoperative CSF leaks...
- Long-term results of the surgical treatment of craniopharyngioma: the experience at the Policlinico Gemelli, Catholic University, Rome
Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurosurgery, Catholic University Medical School, Rome, Italy
Childs Nerv Syst 21:747-57. 2005
..In order to avoid such complications, some authors have suggested to renounce to radical resection and to rely on post-operative radiation therapy to minimise the risk of residual tumour progression...
- Computer-assisted frameless stereotaxy in transsphenoidal surgery at a single institution: review of 176 cases
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 00212, USA
Neurosurg Focus 20:E9. 2006
..In this study the authors address the efficacy and safety of frameless stereotaxy in transsphenoidal surgery...
- Sellar floor reconstruction after transsphenoidal surgery using fibrin glue without grafting or implants: technical note
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital Brigadeiro, Sao Paulo SP CEP 04544 000, Brazil
Surg Neurol 66:46-9; discussion 49. 2006
..This paper reports on the use of fibrin glue alone without grafting or the use of implants in the reconstruction of the sellar floor after TS...
- [Transsphenoidal approach with low field MRI for pituitary adenoma]
O De Witte
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital Erasme, ULB, 808, Bruxelles, Belgique
Neurochirurgie 51:577-83. 2005
..Intraoperative MRI offers new perspectives for assessing the quality of resection. We report our experience with low field intraoperative MRI in surgical treatment of pituitary adenoma...
- DDAVP use in patients undergoing transsphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenomas
J M Sheehan
Department of Neurosurgery, Penn State University College of Medicine Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:287-91; discussion 291. 2006
..The present study was undertaken to identify the incidence of diabetes insipidus after pituitary surgery and its associated factors...
- Endonasal transsphenoidal surgery: the patient's perspective-survey results from 259 patients
Joshua R Dusick
Division of Neurosurgery, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, 200 UCLA Medical Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7182, USA
Surg Neurol 65:332-41, discussion 341-2. 2006
- Transsphenoidal microsurgery for newly diagnosed acromegaly: a personal view after more than 1,000 operations
Dieter K Ludecke
Department of Neurosurgery, Section of Pituitary Surgery, University Clinic of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Neuroendocrinology 83:230-9. 2006
..The complication rate of microsurgery in experienced hands is low...
- The transsphenoidal approach. A historical perspective
Adam S Kanter
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Neurosurg Focus 18:e6. 2005
..This era's critical innovations and neurosurgical personalities are the topic of this historical overview...
- Transsphenoidal adenomectomy for GH-, PRL- and ACTH-secreting pituitary tumours: outcome analysis in a series of 125 patients
Department of Neurological Sciences, IRCCS Neuromed, University of Rome La Sapienza, Parco Tecnologico, Via Atinense, I 86077 Pozzilli IS, Italy
Neurol Sci 25:251-6. 2004
..It is still the first treatment for GH- and ACTH-secreting adenomas, whereas in patients with prolactinomas, surgery should be reserved for cases of resistance or intolerance to dopamine agonists...
- Repeated transsphenoidal surgery to treat recurrent or residual pituitary adenoma
Ronald J Benveniste
Department of Neurosurgery, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Neurosurg 102:1004-12. 2005
..In this paper the authors describe the indications for and the results and complications of repeated transsphenoidal surgery (RTSS) to treat recurrent or residual pituitary adenoma...
- Visual outcome of blind eyes in pituitary apoplexy after transsphenoidal surgery: a series of 14 eyes
Department of Neurosurgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Surg Neurol 63:42-6; discussion 46. 2005
- Treatment of pituitary adenomas with a transsphenoidal approach
Xue Fei Shou
Institution of Neurosurgery, Hua Shan Hospital, Fu Dan University, Shanghai, China
Neurosurgery 56:249-56; discussion 249-56. 2005
..To evaluate the overall therapeutic effectiveness of transsphenoidal microsurgery for pituitary adenomas and explore the surgical technique, application of new technology, and postoperative follow-up...
- The endoscopic versus the traditional approach in pituitary surgery
Center of Surgery for Pituitary Tumors, Department of Neuroscience, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Neuroendocrinology 83:240-8. 2006
- [Meningo-orbital fold (MOF) as a guiding point in extradural approach to the anterior clinoid process]
Oddział Neurochirurgii i Neurotraumatologii z Pododdziałem Neurospondyliatrii, Wojewódzki Szpital Zespolony w Elblagu, ul Królewiecka 146, 82 300 Elblag, Poland
Neurol Neurochir Pol 39:49-55. 2005
..The goal of the research is to perform a topographic and morphometric study of the meningo-orbital fold...
- [Transnasal-transsphenoidal endoscopic surgery of the sellar region]
J L González-González
Servicio de Neurocirugia, Hospital Hermanos Ameijeiras, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Neurocirugia (Astur) 16:27-33. 2005
..Transnasal transsphenoidal endoscopic approach to the sella turcica has recently become an option to the pituitary surgery which could predominate in a near future...
- Giant intrasellar arachnoid cyst manifesting as adrenal insufficiency due to hypothalamic dysfunction--case report--
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 45:164-7. 2005
..This arachnoid cyst associated with hypothalamic dysfunction might have been caused by an inflammatory episode in the suprasellar region...
- Endoscopic and microscopic paraseptal transsphenoidal approach to the sella turcica
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, UCL Mont Godinne, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Yvoir, Belgium
Rhinology 43:271-6. 2005
..To establish the feasibility of the paraseptal approach to the sella and to demonstrate the superiority of the endoscopic over the microscopic vision during pituitary surgery...
- A case of cellular blue naevus with intracranial invasion and malignant transformation
Department of Neurosurgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:211-3; discussion 213. 2005
- [Skull base surgery techniques in the treatment of pituitary adenomas]
Kliniki Neurochirurgii CSK MSWiA, Kliniki Nowotworów Głowy i Szyi Centrum Onkologii, Kliniki Otorynolaryngologii Wydziału Stomatologii, Zakład Anatomii Prawidłowej, Akademii Medycznej w Warszawie
Neurol Neurochir Pol 36:1121-30; discussion 1131-3. 2002
..In the remaining patients remnants of the tumor were left in the cavernous sinuses. The skull base surgery techniques are most useful in the treatment of selected patients with pituitary adenoma...
- The use of postoperative ACTH levels as a marker for successful transsphenoidal microsurgery in Cushing's disease
Arbeitsbereich Hypophysenchirurgie, Klinik für Neurochirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg
Zentralbl Neurochir 64:6-11. 2003
..We investigated whether the early postoperative ACTH concentration is a reliable marker for the initial surgical outcome as well as the long-term remission...
- Basis of persistent and recurrent Cushing disease: an analysis of findings at repeated pituitary surgery
Rob D Dickerman
Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosurg 97:1343-9. 2002
- Working area and angle of attack in three cranial base approaches: pterional, orbitozygomatic, and maxillary extension of the orbitozygomatic approach
Marc P Sindou
Neurosurgery 51:1526-7; author reply 1527. 2002
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery using a skull reference array and laser surface scanning
J P Greenfield
Weill Cornell Brain Tumor Center, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 E 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:244-6. 2008
..Also, this technique obviates the need for additional preoperative MRI, thereby reducing cost and delays...
- Pituitary surgery: transsphenoidal approach
John A Jane
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
Neurosurgery 51:435-42; discussion 442-4. 2002
..The methods and preferences described herein embody the distillation of an experience gained from 3900 transsphenoidal operations...
- Anatomical study of the orbitozygomatic transsellar-transcavernous-transclinoidal approach to the basilar artery bifurcation
Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, 71130 3932, USA
J Neurosurg 97:151-60. 2002
..An anatomical study in which measurements were obtained was undertaken to demonstrate that the orbitozygomatic transcavernous-transclinoidal approach provides excellent exposure of the trunk of the basilar artery (BA) and its bifurcation...
- Chronic subdural hematoma after transsphenoidal surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 9:323-5. 2002
..We conclude that close follow up imaging study is required to avoid overlooking chronic subdural haematoma when massive air is introduced into the subdural space by the transsphenoidal surgery...
- Frameless stereotaxy as an alternative to fluoroscopy for transsphenoidal surgery: use of the InstaTrak-3000 and a novel headset
David G Walker
Department of Neurosurgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Neurosci 9:294-7. 2002
..In common with other frameless stereotactic systems, it provides additional information important for safely approaching the sella and avoids intraoperative radiation exposure for the patient and operating room staff...
- Technical considerations of transsphenoidal removal of fibrous pituitary adenomas and evaluation of collagen content and subtype in the adenomas
Department of Neurosurgery, Yamanashi Medical University, Yamanashi
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 42:202-12; discussion 213. 2002
..We propose that firm adenomas containing more than 5% collagen are "fibrous" adenomas...
- Endoscopic augmented reality navigation system for endonasal transsphenoidal surgery to treat pituitary tumors: technical note
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurological Institute, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Neurosurgery 50:1393-7. 2002
..This report presents our recently developed, endoscopic, augmented reality (AR) navigation system...
- Transsphenoidal surgery for acromegaly in wales: results based on stringent criteria of remission
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3567-72. 2003
- Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea following trans-sphenoidal pituitary macroadenoma surgery: experience from 592 patients
Zong Li Han
Department of Neurosurgery of the First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, China
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 110:570-9. 2008
..To determine the incidence, risk factors, diagnostic procedures, and management of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks following trans-sphenoidal pituitary macroadenoma surgery...
- Endonasal transsphenoidal pituitary surgery: is tumor volume a key factor in determining outcome?
Amit Kumar Jain
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Am J Otolaryngol 29:48-50. 2008
..This study was conducted to evaluate the role of tumor volume in excision of pituitary adenomas...
- Endoscopic trans-sphenoidal pituitary surgery: is it here to stay?
Br J Neurosurg 21:315-7. 2007
- Transsellar transsphenoidal rhino-oral encephalocele
Sisli Etfal Education and Research Hospital, Neurosurgery Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 17:264-8. 2007
..Our surgical outcome supports a transcranial approach for the treatment of these difficult lesions, with transpalatal dissection and exposure...
- Clinical importance of the basal cavernous sinuses and cavernous carotid arteries relative to the pituitary gland and macroadenomas: quantitative analysis of the complete anatomy
Department of Neurosurgery, Uludag University, Gorukle 16059, Bursa, Turkey
Surg Neurol 70:165-74; discussion 174-5. 2008
..Our aim was to quantitatively analyze anatomical and radiologic relationships among the BCS, the CCA, and the pituitary gland, as these structures are accessed during TSS...
- Skull base reconstruction in the extended endoscopic transsphenoidal approach for suprasellar lesions
Luigi Maria Cavallo
Department of Neurological Sciences, Division of Neurosurgery, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Neurosurg 107:713-20. 2007
..Effective reconstruction of large skull base defects is a major concern in such extended approaches and remains challenging...
- Complications of transsphenoidal surgery in patients with pituitary adenoma: experience at a single centre
L R Barzaghi
Pituitary Unit, Department of Neurosurgery, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Universita Vita Salute, Milan, Italy
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 149:877-85; discussion 885-6. 2007
- The endoscopic endonasal trans-sphenoidal approach to the sellar and suprasellar area. Anatomic study
Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg Sci 51:129-38. 2007
- Microanatomy and surgical approaches to the infratemporal fossa: an anaglyphic three-dimensional stereoscopic printing study
Gustavo Rassier Isolan
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas
Skull Base 17:285-302. 2007
..the internal surface of the zygoma and the external surface of the temporal bone and greater wing of the sphenoid bone that is sitting deep to the ramus of the mandible...
- Blindness as a complication of Le Fort I osteotomy for maxillary distraction
Lun Jou Lo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:688-98; discussion 699-700. 2002
..There were no atypical fractures in the orbit, pterygoid plates, sphenoid bone, and skull base. Angiogram revealed left ophthalmic and basilar artery aneurysm...
- Cranial base fracture and rhino cerebrospinmal fluid leakage. A case report
ENT Department G Ferreri, La Sapienza University, Rome IT taly
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 34:35-44. 2007
..that transversally crossed the squamous occipital bone and petrous portions of temporal bone on the right, the sphenoid bone, and the left zygomatic bone...
- Immediate effects of atlanto-occipital joint manipulation on active mouth opening and pressure pain sensitivity in women with mechanical neck pain
Professor, Escuela de Osteopatía de Madrid, Spain
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 32:101-6. 2009
..thrust manipulation directed to the upper cervical segments (atlanto-occipital joint) on active mouth opening and pressure pain sensitivity in a trigeminal nerve innervated region (sphenoid bone) in women with mechanical neck pain.
- Sclerotherapy in aneurysmal bone cysts in children: a review of 17 cases
Department of Medical Imaging, Hopital Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine Road, H3T 1C5, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 33:365-72. 2003
..To determine the efficacy of percutaneous sclerotherapy in the treatment of aneurysmal bone cysts...
- Radial artery graft for bypass of the maxillary to proximal posterior cerebral artery: an anatomical and technical study
Cagatay Han Ulku
Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Acta Otolaryngol 124:858-62. 2004
- MR and CT findings of cyst degeneration of sphenoid bone in McCune-Albright syndrome: a case report
Department of Radiology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University, 246 Xue Fu Road, Harbin, Heilongjiang, 150086, China
Cases J 2:9376. 2009
..Herein, we report a female patient with MAS associated with sphenoid bone cysts which resulted in visual deterioration to describe the computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (..
- Normal vision despite narrowing of the optic canal in fibrous dysplasia
Janice S Lee
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1670-6. 2002
..This question is of particular concern in patients with normal vision, since the risks associated with surgical decompression include blindness...
- Sphenoid wing meningioma en plaque: report of 37 cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100730, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:2423-7. 2009
..This report summarized our experiences in 37 patients with sphenoid wing meningioma en plaque who had been treated with transcranio-orbital approach surgery...
- Evaluation of craniofacial effects during rapid maxillary expansion through combined in vivo/in vitro and finite element studies
C G Provatidis
School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Eur J Orthod 30:437-48. 2008
..the transverse midpalatal sutures, and the suture between the maxilla and pterygoid process of the sphenoid bone did not influence the outcome of RME, while the zygomatico-maxillary suture influenced the response of the ..
- Perspective of the frontolateral craniotomies
Eberval Gadelha Figueiredo
Division of Neurological Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 68:430-2. 2010
..regions of the arterial circle of Willis, supra and paraselar regions, the superior orbital fissure of sphenoid bone, cavernous sinus, orbit, temporal lobe, midbrain and the frontal lobe...
- An unusual case of total ophthalmoplegia
Ravindra Kumar Chowdhury
J P M Rotary Eye Hospital and Research Institute, C D A Sector 6, Bidanasi, Cuttack 753014, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:389-91. 2009
..removed by the neurosurgeon as the computed tomography scan revealed a spoon in the left posterior ethmoid and sphenoid bone penetrating into the middle cranial fossa...
- Suicides by starter's pistols and air guns
Institute of Legal Medicine, Heinrich Heine University, , Germany
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 11:285-90. 1990
..The lead-pointed Diabolo bullet entered his brain through the right large wing of the sphenoid bone, traversed the right temporal brain pole, damaged the right middle cerebral artery and the right optic tract, ..
- A modified technique to bypass the maxillary artery to supraclinoid internal carotid artery by using radial artery graft: an anatomical study
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Selcuk, Meram Medical School, Konya, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 119:519-23. 2005
..This study aims to examine the use of a radial artery graft for bypass of the maxillary artery (MA) to the supraclinoid internal carotid artery (ICA) in treating ICA occlusions...
- The anatomy of the carotico-clinoid foramen and its relation with the internal carotid artery
Department of Anatomy, Marmara University School of Medicine, Haydarpasa, 81326 Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Radiol Anat 25:241-6. 2003
..ligament or of a dural fold extending between the anterior and middle clinoid processes of the sphenoid bone. It is anatomically important due to its relations with the cavernous sinus and its content, sphenoid sinus ..
- [Sphenoid metastasis mimicking a meningioma as the initial feature of adenocarcinoma of the prostate]
, , Sevilla,
Rev Neurol 29:929-32. 1999
..This metastasis tends to be seen in the sphenoid bone, and in this case it is difficult to differentiate radiologically from a meningioma...