- Trans-sacral fixation for failed posterior fixation of the pelvic ring
Paul E Beaule
Division of Orthopaedics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:49-52. 2006
..e. fixation from iliac wing to the other traversing the body of S1) may be necessary. The purpose of our study was to describe our early experience and describe the surgical technique...
- Iliac crest bone graft harvest donor site morbidity. A statistical evaluation
J C Banwart
Section of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:1055-60. 1995
..The findings suggest that procedural refinements of limiting subcutaneous dissection and providing layered tension-free incision closure may improve results...
- A radiological evaluation of the morphometry and safety of S1, S2 and S2-ilium screws in the Asian population using three dimensional computed tomography scan: an analysis of 180 pelvis
Mun Keong Kwan
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Surg Radiol Anat 34:217-27. 2012
Studies of sacral pedicle anatomy have been reported in the European population. However, the feasibility for the use of S1, S2 and S2-ilium screws has not been fully investigated in the Asian population.
- Persistent iliac crest donor site pain: independent outcome assessment
Robert F Heary
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurological Institute of New Jersey, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Neurosurgery 50:510-6; discussion 516-7. 2002
..In addition, this study identifies the significant discrepancies that are observed when independent outcome assessment results are compared with the incidences determined by review of the operating surgeon's documented findings...
- Strontium is incorporated into mineral crystals only in newly formed bone during strontium ranelate treatment
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Department of Biomaterials, Research Campus Golm, Potsdam, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 25:968-75. 2010
- Functional outcome of en bloc excision and osteoarticular allograft replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radius
Robert M Szabo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, 95817, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1340-8. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to assess with validated patient outcome surveys the intermediate to long-term outcomes of all patients treated with this surgery and to analyze their functional results and document tumor control...
- Periacetabular reconstruction with a new endoprosthesis
Lawrence R Menendez
Department of Orthopedics, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California Los Angeles County Medical Center, USC University Hospital, 1510 San Pablo Street, Suite 634, Los Angeles, CA, 90033, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:2831-7. 2009
..PAR) endoprosthesis was designed to be secured with internal fixation and bone cement to the remaining ilium and support a reconstructed acetabulum...
- Changes in cortical width with bone turnover in the three different endosteal envelopes of the ilium in postmenopausal osteoporosis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Niigata University School of Medicine, Niigata City, Japan
Bone 25:493-9. 1999
- Biomechanical comparison of lumbosacral fixation techniques in a calf spine model
Nathan H Lebwohl
University of Miami Spine Institute, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2312-20. 2002
..biomechanical testing of the strength and stability of lumbosacral fixation constructs...
- Intraosseous haemangioma of the ilium
Department of Radiology, Doctor Josep Trueta Hospital, Av de França Sn, 17007 Girona, Spain
Pediatr Radiol 36:54-6. 2006
..Lesions of flat bones are rare and the imaging findings in these patients are non-specific. We report a unique case of intraosseous haemangioma in the ilium of a 7-year-old girl studied by US, radiography, scintigraphy, CT and MRI.
- Donor site morbidity after anterior iliac crest bone harvest for single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
Jeff S Silber
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:134-9. 2003
- High bone turnover and accumulation of osteoid in patients with neurofibromatosis 1
Center for Biomechanics and Skeletal Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Osteoporos Int 21:119-27. 2010
..Our data demonstrate that NF1 patients display high bone turnover and accumulation of osteoid and that supplementation of vitamin D has a beneficial effect on their BMD...
- Minimum 2-year analysis of sacropelvic fixation and L5-S1 fusion using S1 and iliac screws
T R Kuklo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1976-83. 2001
..1%) in high-grade spondylolisthesis and long fusions to the sacrum. Previous iliac crest harvesting does not prevent ipsilateral screw placement (34 of 36 patients) or additional iliac harvesting (78 of 80 patients)...
- Harvesting autogenous iliac bone grafts. A review of complications and techniques
L T Kurz
Division of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of California, San Diego
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:1324-31. 1989
Autogenous bone grafts from the ilium are frequently harvested for purposes of bone union and/or stability...
- Abnormalities in the replicative capacity of osteoblastic cells in the proximal femur of patients with osteonecrosis of the femoral head
Department of Rheumatology, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
J Rheumatol 30:348-51. 2003
- Comparison of anterior and posterior iliac crest bone grafts in terms of harvest-site morbidity and functional outcomes
Department of Orthpaedics, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033 4608, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:716-20. 2002
..This study was undertaken to compare the morbidity related to the harvest of anterior iliac crest bone graft with that related to the harvest of posterior iliac crest bone graft and to determine differences in functional outcome...
- Bone-graft harvesting from iliac and fibular donor sites: techniques and complications
N A Ebraheim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Ohio, 3000 Arlington Avenue, Toledo, OH 43699, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 9:210-8. 2001
The ilium and the fibula are the most common sites for bone-graft harvesting...
- Prospective nonrandomized comparison of an allograft with bone morphogenic protein versus an iliac-crest autograft in anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
Glenn Robin Buttermann
Midwest Spine Institute Stillwater, Spine Surgery Division, 1950 Curve Crest Blvd, Stillwater, MN 55115, USA
Spine J 8:426-35. 2008
..This has led some surgeons to use alternatives to iliac bone graft, but often the alternatives have greater rates of nonunion and delayed union. Bone morphogenic protein (BMP) studies have found high arthrodesis rates in lumbar fusions...
- Effects of a new selective estrogen receptor modulator (MDL 103,323) on cancellous and cortical bone in ovariectomized ewes: a biochemical, histomorphometric, and densitometric study
, , Lyon, France
J Bone Miner Res 16:89-96. 2001
..These effects on cortical bone were reflected by changes in biochemical markers. MDL markedly reduces bone turnover and increases BMD suggesting that this new agent may prevent postmenopausal bone loss...
- Leptin inhibits bone formation not only in rodents, but also in sheep
Department of Trauma, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 21:1591-9. 2006
..These data provide additional evidence that bone formation and therefore bone remodeling is at least in part centrally controlled...
- Giant cell tumour of the distal radius: wide resection and reconstruction by non-vascularised proximal fibular autograft
Ayman Abdelaziz Bassiony
Orthopaedic Surgery, Ain Shams University, Egypt
Ann Acad Med Singapore 38:900-4. 2009
..Out of the various reconstructive procedures described, non-vascularised fibular autograft has been widely used with satisfactory functional results...
- Clinical outcomes and fusion success at 2 years of single-level instrumented posterolateral fusions with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2/compression resistant matrix versus iliac crest bone graft
John R Dimar
Kenton D Leatherman Spine Center, Louisville, KY, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2534-9; discussion 2540. 2006
..A higher recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein (rhBMP)-2 dose and a carrier specific for posterior spine applications were used...
- The safety and efficacy of OP-1 (rhBMP-7) as a replacement for iliac crest autograft for posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis: minimum 4-year follow-up of a pilot study
Alexander R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University and the Rothman Institute, 925 Chestnut Street, 5 th Floor, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, PA 19107, USA
Spine J 8:457-65. 2008
..Previous clinical studies involving patients with degenerative spondylolisthesis have reported that the efficacy and safety of OP-1 Putty is comparable to that of autograft at both 1- and 2-year follow-up...
- Effects of a one-month treatment with PTH(1-34) on bone formation on cancellous, endocortical, and periosteal surfaces of the human ilium
Clinical Research Center, Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw, NY 10993, USA
J Bone Miner Res 22:495-502. 2007
..Enhanced bone formation was associated with an increase in osteoblast apoptosis...
- Definition of two types of anterior superior iliac spine avulsion fractures
Klane K White
University of California San Diego Medical Center, California 92123 4293, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 22:578-82. 2002
..The two muscular males were both injured during the initial phase of batting. The bony fragment was much larger and displaced laterally as confirmed by three-dimensional computed tomography scans...
- In osteoporotic women treated with strontium ranelate, strontium is located in bone formed during treatment with a maintained degree of mineralization
INSERM Unité 831, Faculté de Médecine R Laennec, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
Osteoporos Int 21:667-77. 2010
..Strontium was shown to be dose-dependently deposited into this newly formed bone with preservation of the mineralization...
- Comparison between the outer table and intracortical methods of obtaining autogenous bone graft from the iliac crest
Spine Unit, Department of Orthopedics, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1722-5. 2000
..OBJECTIVES: To determine whether keeping the outer and inner cortices of the ilium intact, while obtaining bone graft, would result in reduced postoperative bleeding and less postoperative pain...
- Double-blind, randomized, controlled trial of local anesthetic use for iliac crest donor site pain
Department of Nursing Research and Development, Q Block Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Ave, Nedlands, 6009 Australia
J Neurosci Nurs 34:205-10. 2002
..The clinical implication of using local anesthetic for the relief of donor site pain suggests that it is a safe and efficacious technique...
- Patterns of extra-spinal left-right skeletal asymmetries in adolescent girls with lower spine scoliosis: relative lengthening of the ilium on the curve concavity & of right lower limb segments
R G Burwell
The Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Stud Health Technol Inform 123:57-65. 2006
..This paper reports (1) a third pattern with relative lengthening of the ilium on the concavity of lower spine scolioses, and (2) a fourth pattern of relative lengthening of the right total leg ..
- Natural history of posterior iliac crest bone graft donation for spinal surgery: a prospective analysis of morbidity
P A Robertson
Neurosurgery, Auckland Hospital, New Zealand
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1473-6. 2001
..A prospective study was conducted to examine bone graft donor site morbidity in 106 consecutive patients undergoing posterior spinal fusion...
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind study of the efficacy of postoperative continuous local anesthetic infusion at the iliac crest bone graft site after posterior spinal arthrodesis: a minimum of 4-year follow-up
Rush University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2790-6. 2007
..Parallel design, prospective, double-blinded, randomized, controlled trial composed of 2 independent groups treated with a continuous infusion catheter (saline vs. Marcain) placed into the iliac crest bone graft site (ICBG)...
- Advantages of percutaneous hollow needle technique for iliac bone harvest in alveolar cleft grafting
S P Hardy
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 36:252-5. 1999
..To evaluate the percutaneous hollow needle technique for bone harvest to determine if morbidity from the bone donor site can be reduced significantly...
- Normative data for iliac bone histomorphometry in growing children
F H Glorieux
Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bone 26:103-9. 2000
..The highest variability was found for cellular parameters. The availability of reference material will greatly facilitate the use of histomorphometry in pediatrics...
- Minimum 5-year analysis of L5-S1 fusion using sacropelvic fixation (bilateral S1 and iliac screws) for spinal deformity
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:303-8. 2006
..Clinical radiographic and outcomes investigation...
- Age estimation from the auricular surface of the ilium: a revised method
J L Buckberry
Department of Archaeology and Prehistory, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S1 4ET, UK
Am J Phys Anthropol 119:231-9. 2002
A revised method for estimating adult age at death using the auricular surface of the ilium has been developed. It is based on the existing auricular surface aging method of Lovejoy et al. ( Am. J. Phys. Anthropol...
- Taking bone grafts from the anterior and posterior ilium--tools and techniques: II. A 6800-case experience in maxillofacial and craniofacial surgery
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:25S-37S; discussion 92S-94S. 2005
- Osteosynthesis for intra-articular calcaneal fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Lady Harding Medical College and Associated Shri Sutcheta Kriplani Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 15:144-8. 2007
..To correlate treatment results of intra-articular calcaneal fractures with their computed tomographic (CT) classification...
- Protection of the C1 posterior arch in atlantal lateral mass fixation: technical case report
Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Injuries Unit, Royal North Shore Hospital, The University of Sydney, Sydney NSW 2065, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 12:59-61. 2005
..Easier instrumentation can be performed and the integrity of the C1 arch maintained using this alternate technique...
- Re: Dimar JR, Glassman SD, Burkus KJ, et al. Clinical outcomes and fusion success at 2 years of single-level instrumented posterolateral fusions with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2/compression resistant matrix versus iliac crest bone graft
J Brian Gill
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:708; author reply 708. 2007
- A 2-year follow-up pilot study evaluating the safety and efficacy of op-1 putty (rhbmp-7) as an adjunct to iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar fusions
Alexander R Vaccaro
Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University and the Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur Spine J 14:623-9. 2005
..There were no adverse events related to the OP-1 putty implant in this study, which supports findings in other studies suggesting the safety of bone morphogenetic proteins in spinal surgery...
- Pain 5 years after instrumented and non-instrumented posterolateral lumbar spinal fusion
Spine Unit, Department of Orthopaedics E, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Eur Spine J 12:393-9. 2003
..The pain drawing seems to be a valuable tool when following spinal fusion patients, but its use as prognostic marker in connection with fusion surgery needs further investigation...
- rhBMP-2 (ACS and CRM formulations) overcomes pseudarthrosis in a New Zealand white rabbit posterolateral fusion model
James P Lawrence
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8071, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1206-13. 2007
..Study groups consisting of no graft, autograft, or recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) with absorbable collagen sponge (ACS) or compression resistant matrix (CRM) were evaluated...
- Evaluation of spinal fusion using autologous anterior strut grafts and posterior instrumentation for thoracic/thoracolumbar kyphosis
Vinay J Saraph
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1594-601. 2005
..A retrospective cohort study...
- Total L-5 spondylectomy and reconstruction of the lumbosacral junction. Technical note
Gary L Gallia
Department of Neurosurgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 7:103-11. 2007
..The authors conclude that this technique can be safely performed in appropriately selected patients with neoplasms involving L-5...
- Utilization of iliac screws and structural interbody grafting for revision spondylolisthesis surgery
Keith H Bridwell
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, One Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza, Suite 11300 WP, Campus Box 8233, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:S88-96. 2005
..Retrospective case analysis and presentation...
- Two-year fusion rate equivalency between Grafton DBM gel and autograft in posterolateral spine fusion: a prospective controlled trial employing a side-by-side comparison in the same patient
Frank P Cammisa
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:660-6. 2004
..Multicenter, prospective equivalency trial with each patient serving as his/her own control...
- Harvesting bone graft from the posterior iliac crest by less traumatic, midline approach
Spinal Care Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Sava, Israel
J Spinal Disord Tech 16:27-30. 2003
..6% of the second group. Harvesting bone graft from the posterior iliac crest for lower lumbar spine fusion through a midline, fascia splitting approach was found superior to the traditional, separate incision approach...
- Does donor site reconstruction following anterior cervical surgery diminish postoperative pain?
Nancy E Epstein
Department of Neurological Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 16:20-6. 2003
..Multiplanar CT studies obtained 6 months postoperatively documented 100% donor site fusion for the 23 reconstructed patients. Although iliac crest reconstruction failed to reduce Bodily Pain, it did result in 100% fusion...
- Partial corpectomy for cervical spondylosis
Michael W Groff
Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Section of Neurological Surgery, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:14-20. 2003
..A retrospective review was performed of a single surgeon's experience with partial corpectomy over a 9-year period. The measures evaluated included fusion rate, complications, and neurologic symptoms...
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion using dense hydroxyapatite blocks and autogenous iliac bone: clinical and radiographic examinations
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:S41-7. 2005
..5%), and cracking of HA block was observed in 6 segments (17.6%). A mean loss of lordosis was found to be 2.4 degrees . The dense HA block is a useful substitute for autogenous bone graft for PLIF...
- The effect of titanium particulate on development and maintenance of a posterolateral spinal arthrodesis: an in vivo rabbit model
Bryan W Cunningham
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:1971-81. 2002
..The current study was undertaken to determine if the presence of titanium wear particulate deleteriously influences early osseointegration of posterolateral bone graft or disrupts an established posterolateral fusion mass...
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein type 2 with cylindrical interbody cages
Regis W Haid
Atlanta Brain and Spine Care, 2001 Peachtree Road, Suite 645, Atlanta, GA 30309, USA
Spine J 4:527-38; discussion 538-9. 2004
- A less-invasive technique for harvesting autologous iliac crest grafts for cervical interbody fusion: technical note
Division of Neurosurgery, Neurological Centre of Latium NCL, Rome, Italy
Surg Neurol 67:160-2; discussion 162. 2007
..A new technique for harvesting autologous iliac bone grafts is described...
- A prospective, randomized controlled clinical trial of anterior lumbar interbody fusion using a titanium cylindrical threaded fusion device
Rick C Sasso
Indiana Spine Group, Indianapolis, Indiana 46260, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:113-22; discussion 121-2. 2004
..A prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial comparing a cylindrical threaded titanium cage to a femoral ring allograft control for anterior lumbar interbody fusion...
- Sacral pseudotumor complicating iliac bone harvest: radiographic, CT and MRI appearances
Department of Radiology, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland
Eur Radiol 13:L178-80. 2003
..Subsequent imaging revealed the presence of a cystic lesion arising at the site of previous bone graft harvest; CT-guided aspiration yielded synovial fluid presumed to arise from the contiguous sacroiliac joint...
- Outcome of local bone versus autogenous iliac crest bone graft in the instrumented posterolateral fusion of the lumbar spine
Dilip K Sengupta
Department of Orthopaedics, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:985-91. 2006
..Retrospective, comparative study of clinical and radiologic outcome with independent, blinded observer...
- The effect of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on acute and chronic donor-site pain after spinal-fusion surgery
Scott S Reuben
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Baystate Medical Center and the Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:6-13. 2006
..The goal of this prospective, randomized, double-blind study was to examine the effect of perioperative COX-2 inhibition on acute and chronic donor-site pain in patients undergoing spinal-fusion surgery...
- One-stage anterior interbody autografting and instrumentation in primary surgical management of thoracolumbar spinal tuberculosis
Department of Orthopedic and Spinal Surgery, Nanfang Hospital, 510515, Guangzhou, P R China
Eur Spine J 13:114-21. 2004
- Instrumented transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion with bioabsorbable polymer implants and iliac crest autograft
Jeffrey D Coe
Center for Spinal Deformity and Injury, Los Gatos, California, USA
Neurosurg Focus 16:E11. 2004
..Both the clinical and radiographic results of this study support the use of interbody devices manufactured from biodegradable polymers for structural interbody support in the TLIF procedure...
- Contribution of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 to the rapid creation of interbody fusion when used in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: a preliminary report. Invited submission from the Joint Section Meeting on Disorders of the Spine
Praveen V Mummaneni
Department of Neurological Surgery, Emory University, Crawaford Long Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 1:19-23. 2004
..The authors compared fusion rates in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIFs) when using either autograft or bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) placed in the interbody space...
- Late neurologic deterioration after nonoperative treatment of a Chance fracture in an adolescent
Department of Surgery, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont
Can J Surg 46:383-5. 2003
- Evaluation of HealosMP52 osteoinductive bone graft for instrumented lumbar intertransverse process fusion in sheep
Daniel H Kim
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305 5327, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2800-8. 2004
..HealosMP52 was evaluated in a sheep model of instrumented lumbar intertransverse process spine fusion and compared to autogenous bone graft...
- A pilot safety and efficacy study of OP-1 putty (rhBMP-7) as an adjunct to iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar fusions
Alexander R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, The Rothman Institute, 925 Chestnut St, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Eur Spine J 12:495-500. 2003
..The lack of adverse events related to the OP-1 putty implant in this study is in agreement with other studies supporting the safety of bone morphogenetic proteins in spinal surgery...
- A prospective clinical comparison of rectangular titanium cages and iliac crest autografts in anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1, 68167, Mannheim, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 27:34-41. 2004
..There were no implant-related complications in the cage group. The authors conclude that titanium cages in anterior cervical discectomy constitute a safe and efficient alternative to iliac crest bone autograft...
- Reduction of disc space distraction after anterior lumbar interbody fusion with autologous iliac crest graft
Kenneth M C Cheung
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1385-9. 2003
..A retrospective review with long-term clinical and radiologic assessment was conducted...
- Failure of reconstitution of open-section, posterior iliac-wing bone graft donor sites after lumbar spinal fusion. Observations with implications for the etiology of donor site pain
Drew A Bednar
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, c o 414 Victoria Avenue North M 9, Hamilton, Ontario, L8L 5G8, Canada
Eur Spine J 14:95-8. 2005
- A prospective, randomized, controlled cervical fusion study using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 with the CORNERSTONE-SR allograft ring and the ATLANTIS anterior cervical plate
David S Baskin
Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1219-24; discussion 1225. 2003
..A prospective, randomized, pilot clinical trial compared recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) with iliac crest autograft bone for the treatment of human cervical disc disease...
- Comparison of the biomechanical stability of dense cancellous allograft with tricortical iliac autograft and fibular allograft for cervical interbody fusion
Stephen I Ryu
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Eur Spine J 15:1339-45. 2006
..Anterior cervical plating significantly increased biomechanical stability in all modes...
- Successful transpedicular lumbar interbody fusion by means of a composite of osteogenic protein-1 (rhBMP-7) and hydroxyapatite carrier: a comparison with autograft and hydroxyapatite in the sheep spine
Thomas R Blattert
Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Würzburg University Hospital, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2697-705. 2002
..Transpedicular lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) was performed in a sheep model comparing three treatment groups: a composite of osteogenic protein (OP)-1 and hydroxyapatite carrier (HA), HA without OP-1, and autograft...
- The fusion rate of calcium sulfate with local autograft bone compared with autologous iliac bone graft for instrumented short-segment spinal fusion
Wen Jer Chen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2293-7. 2005
..A prospective study...
- Aspiration of osteoprogenitor cells for augmenting spinal fusion: comparison of progenitor cell concentrations from the vertebral body and iliac crest
Robert F McLain
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Desk A 41, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2655-61. 2005
..The vertebral body, an even larger reservoir of myeloproliferative cells, should provide progenitor cell concentrations similar to those of the iliac crest...
- The use of freeze-dried allograft bone for anterior cervical fusions
T A Zdeblick
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:726-9. 1991
..Graft collapse was more commonly seen with freeze-dried allograft (30%) than with autograft (5%). Relief of neck and arm pain, however, was similar in both groups...
- Minimum 5-year follow-up of anterior column structural allografts in the thoracic and lumbar spine
R W Molinari
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:967-72. 1999
..An analysis of consecutive adult patients treated surgically with anterior column structural allografts for sagittal plane abnormalities...
- Histologic evaluation of the efficacy of rhBMP-2 compared with autograft bone in sheep spinal anterior interbody fusion
Harvinder S Sandhu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and UCLA Comprehensive Spine Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:567-75. 2002
..Comparisons were drawn from temporal radiographic and end-point biomechanical and histologic data...
- Evaluation of autologous platelet concentrate for intertransverse process lumbar fusion
Paul M Sethi
Orthopedic and Neurological Surgery Specialists, Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 37:E84-90. 2008
..On histologic analysis, adding PC seemed to result in more mature bone at both volumes, with the most mature bone in the group with 3.0-cm(3) autograft plus PC...
- Donor site morbidity following iliac crest bone harvesting for cervical fusion: a comparison between minimally invasive and open techniques
Spinal Unit, University Hospital of North Tees, Stockton on Tees, TS19 8PE, UK
Eur Spine J 17:845-52. 2008
..There was a trend towards significance (P = 0.076) for pain at the donor site, with less pain reported by patients who underwent the trephine procedure for harvesting...
- Single-level instrumented posterolateral fusion of lumbar spine with beta-tricalcium phosphate versus autograft: a prospective, randomized study with 3-year follow-up
Li Yang Dai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1299-304. 2008
..A prospective, randomized clinical study comparing beta-tricalcium phosphate (beta-TCP) with autograft bone graft with follow-up of 3 years...
- S1 screw bending moment with posterior spinal instrumentation across the lumbosacral junction after unilateral iliac crest harvest
G M Alegre
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1950-5. 2001
..construct across the lumbosacral junction produces the least bending moment on the S1 screw when only one ilium is available for fixation...
- Percutaneous stabilization of U-shaped sacral fractures using iliosacral screws: technique and early results
S E Nork
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Orthop Trauma 15:238-46. 2001
..Early percutaneous iliosacral screw fixation is effective treatment for these injuries...
- Economic evaluation of bone morphogenetic protein versus autogenous iliac crest bone graft in single-level anterior lumbar fusion: an evidence-based modeling approach
Stacey J Ackerman
Covance Health Economics and Outcomes Services, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:S94-9. 2002
..Computerized economic models can help inform the design of future prospective studies by identifying the cost-drivers, the most uncertain parameter estimates, and the parameters with the greatest impact on the results and inferences...
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion versus posterolateral fusion in adult isthmic spondylolisthesis
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2178-83. 2007
..A prospective study with historical controls...
- B2A peptide on ceramic granules enhance posterolateral spinal fusion in rabbits compared with autograft
Joseph D Smucker
Iowa Spine Research Center, Bone Healing Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1324-9. 2008
..Explanted motion segments were analyzed by Faxitron radiographs, computerized tomography (CT), manual palpation, and histology...
- The incidence of donor site pain after bone graft harvesting from the posterior iliac crest may be overestimated: a study on spine fracture patients
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1865-8. 2007
..A retrospective cohort study on patients with traumatic vertebral fractures who underwent fusion with iliac crest bone...
- Randomized radiostereometric study comparing osteogenic protein-1 (BMP-7) and autograft bone in human noninstrumented posterolateral lumbar fusion: 2002 Volvo Award in clinical studies
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2654-61. 2002
..Randomized efficacy trial comparing two types of noninstrumented posterolateral fusion between L5 and S1 in patients with L5 spondylolysis and vertebral slip less than 50%, as evaluated by radiostereometric analysis...
- Clinical and radiographic outcomes of anterior lumbar interbody fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2
J Kenneth Burkus
Hughston Spine Service, The Hughston Clinic, Columbus, Georgia 31908 9517, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2396-408. 2002
..A prospective, nonblinded, multicenter study of outcomes in patients undergoing single-level anterior lumbar discectomy and interbody fusion with InFUSE Bone Graft...
- Fusion rate and biomechanical stiffness of hydroxylapatite versus autogenous bone grafts for anterior discectomy. An in vivo animal study
F A Pintar
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:2524-8. 1994
..The use of this hydroxylapatite material in anterior spine fusions may have some clinical validity...
- Comparative study of iliac bone graft and carbon cage with local bone graft in posterior lumbar interbody fusion
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Juntendo University, Japan
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 10:1-7. 2002
..The radiographic evaluation on bone union showed that half of the iliac bone group had collapsed union, but all cases of the cage group revealed union without collapse...
- Evaluation of rhBMP-2 with an OPLA carrier in a canine posterolateral (transverse process) spinal fusion model
H S Sandhu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA School of Medicine, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2669-82. 1995
..Spontaneous transverse process fusion does not occur in canines after decortication and open-cell polylactic acid polymer implantation...
- Circumferential fusion of the lumbar and lumbosacral spine using a carbon fiber ALIF cage implant versus autogenous bone graft: a comparative study
Department of Trauma Surgery, Medical School of Hannover, Germany
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:369-76. 2002
..This study failed to prove major advantages of the carbon cages in the clinical and radiologic outcome...
- Analysis of harvest morbidity and radiographic outcome using autograft for anterior cervical fusion
C L Schnee
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2222-7. 1997
- The efficacy of rhBMP-2 for posterolateral lumbar fusion in smokers
Steven D Glassman
Kenton D Leatherman Spine Center, Louisville, KY, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1693-8. 2007
..Retrospective review of prospectively collected data, as part of an IRB-approved, FDA-regulated, randomized, nonblinded IDE trial of rhBMP-2 matrix for lumbar spinal fusion...
- Versatility of the Novalis system to deliver image-guided stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for various anatomical sites
Bin S Teh
Department of Radiation Oncology, Radiology, and Genito urinary Oncology, The Methodist Hospital, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute and Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin St MS 121 B, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 6:347-54. 2007
..were lesions in other bony sites including orbit, clavicle, scapula, humerus, sternum, rib, femur, and pelvis (ilium, ischium, and pubis)...
- [Central diabetes insipidus in adult patients--the first sign of Langerhans cell histiocytosis and Erdheim-Chester disease. Three case studies and literature review]
Interní hematoonkologická klinika Lékarské fakulty MU a FN Brno
Vnitr Lek 56:138-48. 2010
..The PET-CT of the third patient showed increased activity in the long bones and ilium near the sacroiliac joint...
- Primary intraosseous paraganglioma of the sacrum: a case report
Department of Neurological Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA
Spine J 7:733-8. 2007
..Chest, abdomen, and pelvis computed tomography scans revealed no other tumors. This lesion was treated with limited resection, decompression, stabilization, and radiation therapy...
- Evidence for avian intrathoracic air sacs in a new predatory dinosaur from Argentina
Paul C Sereno
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3303. 2008
- A semi-aquatic Arctic mammalian carnivore from the Miocene epoch and origin of Pinnipedia
Canadian Museum of Nature, PO Box 3443 STN D, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6P4, Canada
Nature 458:1021-4. 2009
..a prominent deltopectoral ridge on the humerus, a posterodorsally expanded scapula, a pelvis with relatively short ilium, a shortened femur and flattened phalanges, suggestive of webbing...
- The role of acetabular component screw holes and/or screws in the development of pelvic osteolysis
T P Schmalzried
Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, USA
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 213:147-53. 1999
..Pelvic osteolysis was seen nearly as frequently in the ischium and pubis (21 lesions) as it was in the ilium (24 lesions)...
- Measurement of the concentration of three antituberculosis drugs in the focus of spinal tuberculosis
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital of the Ningxia Medical School, Yinchuan, Ningxia, PR China
Eur Spine J 17:1482-7. 2008
..5 months. Four weeks after chemotherapy all patients underwent surgery and the specimen of serum, ilium, and pathologic vertebral tissues, including sclerotic wall, subnormal osseous tissue, and foci were obtained ..
- [Nonunions or malunions of pelvic fractures]
Traumatologicko ortopedické centrum se spinální jednotkou, Krajská Nemocnice Liberec
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 76:121-7. 2009
..mobility of the remaining part of the sacroiliac joint together with nonunion of the fractured dorsal part of the ilium. In the other one, pain comes from muscular dysbalance, as well as from chronic lesions in the sacroiliac joint ..
- [The analysis of the treatment of giant cell tumor of the pelvis and sacrum]
Department of Orthopaedic Oncology, People s Hospital of Peking University, Beijing 100044, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 46:501-5. 2008
..To discuss the surgical management, local recurrence rate and complications of giant cell tumor (GCTs) of the pelvic and sacrum...
- [Spinal fusion of lumbar intertransverse process by using tissue engineered bone with xenogeneic deproteinized cancellous bone as scaffold]
Orthopedic Department, Southwest Hospital of Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, 400038, P R China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:115-9. 2007
..To study the properties of the xenogeneic deproteinized cancellous bone used as a scaffold in the bone tissue engineering and its application to the spinal fusion of the lumbar intertransverse process in a goat...