- Prevalence of pelvic fractures, associated injuries, and mortality: the United Kingdom perspective
Peter V Giannoudis
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Trauma 63:875-83. 2007
- Survival trends and predictors of mortality in severe pelvic trauma: estimates from the German Pelvic Trauma Registry Initiative
Department of Trauma, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Saarland University, Homburg, Saar, Germany
Injury 42:997-1002. 2011
..To determine longitudinal trends in mortality, and the contribution of specific injury characteristics and treatment modalities to the risk of a fatal outcome after severe and complex pelvic trauma...
- Parathyroid hormone 1-84 accelerates fracture-healing in pubic bones of elderly osteoporotic women
Department of Rheumatology, Evangelisches Krankenhaus, Hans Sachs Gasse 10 12, A 1180 Vienna, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:1583-7. 2011
..The purpose of the present prospective, randomized, controlled study was to evaluate the effect of PTH 1-84 on the course of pelvic fracture-healing and functional outcome in postmenopausal women...
- Staged reconstruction of pelvic ring disruption: differences in morbidity, mortality, radiologic results, and functional outcomes between B1, B2/B3, and C-type lesions
P M Rommens
Department of Trauma Surgery, Hospital of the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Federal Republic of Germany
J Orthop Trauma 16:92-8. 2002
..To analyze injury pattern, surgical therapy, radiologic results, and functional outcome in unstable B-type and C-type pelvic ring fractures...
- Sacroiliac joint compression using an anterior pelvic compressor: a mechanical study in synthetic bone
Michael J Gardner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Orthop Trauma 21:435-41. 2007
..This would be useful for indirect reduction and stabilization of the posterior pelvis. The purpose of this study was to determine the forces achieved by this construct compared with other forms of fixation...
- What are predictors of mortality in patients with pelvic fractures?
Joerg H Holstein
Department of Trauma, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:2090-7. 2012
..Our knowledge of factors influencing mortality of patients with pelvic ring injuries and the impact of associated injuries is currently based on limited information...
- Review of the pathophysiology and acute management of haemorrhage in pelvic fracture
George S M Dyer
Harvard Combined Orthopaedics Residency, Boston, MA, USA
Injury 37:602-13. 2006
..The purpose of this review is to examine our current understanding of the pathophysiology and management of bleeding pelvic fractures...
- The epidemiology of pelvic ring fractures: a population-based study
Department of Trauma, John Hunter Hospital and University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Trauma 63:1066-73; discussion 1072-3. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to prospectively describe the comprehensive pelvic fracture occurrence in an inclusive trauma system...
- Effects of parity on pelvic size and shape dimorphism in Mus
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, 334 UCB, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
J Morphol 270:834-42. 2009
..Pelvic shape differences between males and females were consistent with previous findings in other taxa which identify the pubo-ischial complex as the primary region of dimorphism...
- Preperitonal pelvic packing for hemodynamically unstable pelvic fractures: a paradigm shift
C Clay Cothren
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, Dencer, CO 80204, USA
J Trauma 62:834-9; discussion 839-42. 2007
..We hypothesized that a modified technique of direct preperitoneal pelvic packing (PPP) would reduce the need for angiography, decrease blood transfusion requirements, and lower mortality...
- Risk of pelvic fractures in older women following pelvic irradiation
Nancy N Baxter
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
JAMA 294:2587-93. 2005
..Pelvic fractures, including hip fractures, are a major source of morbidity and mortality in older women. Although therapeutic pelvic irradiation could increase the risk of such fractures, this effect has not been studied...
- Preperitoneal pelvic packing/external fixation with secondary angioembolization: optimal care for life-threatening hemorrhage from unstable pelvic fractures
Clay Cothren Burlew
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center and the University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80204, USA
J Am Coll Surg 212:628-35; discussion 635-7. 2011
..We hypothesized that PPP/EF arrests hemorrhage rapidly, facilitates emergent operative procedures, and ensures efficient use of angioembolization (AE)...
- Pelvic bone complications following radiation therapy of gynecologic malignancies: clinical evaluation of radiation-induced pelvic insufficiency fractures
Department of Radiology, Tokushima University School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Gynecol Oncol 103:1100-4. 2006
..To investigate the incidence, clinical and imaging finding of insufficiency fractures (IF) of the female pelvis following radiation therapy...
- Vertically unstable pelvic fractures fixed with percutaneous iliosacral screws: does posterior injury pattern predict fixation failure?
Damian R Griffin
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Oxford, Oxford, England
J Orthop Trauma 17:399-405. 2003
- Finite element model development of a child pelvis with optimization-based material identification
Jong Eun Kim
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Hoehn 330B, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Biomech 42:2191-5. 2009
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma practice management guidelines for hemorrhage in pelvic fracture--update and systematic review
Daniel C Cullinane
Departments of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Trauma 71:1850-68. 2011
..The Practice Guidelines Committee of EAST decided to replace the 2001 guidelines with an updated guideline and systematic review reflecting current practice...
- Changing patterns of pediatric pelvic fractures with skeletal maturation: implications for classification and management
Jeff S Silber
Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 22:22-6. 2002
..Management of fractures to the immature pelvis should focus on associated injuries. Once the triradiate cartilage has closed, adult pelvic fracture classifications and management principles should be used...
- Genitourinary injuries in pelvic fracture morbidity and mortality using the National Trauma Data Bank
Marc A Bjurlin
Section of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Department of Surgery, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60657, USA
J Trauma 67:1033-9. 2009
..We sought to compare morbidity, mortality, and health care resource utilization in patients with and without genitourinary injuries (GUI) associated with pelvic fractures...
- Long-term functional outcome after unstable pelvic ring fracture
Departments of Emergency Medicine and Critical Care, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
J Trauma 63:884-8. 2007
..The purpose of our study was to evaluate the long-term functional outcome of patients with unstable pelvic ring fractures and correlate it with various other factors...
- Pelvic fracture pattern predicts pelvic arterial haemorrhage
Trauma Services, Auckland Hospital, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Surg 70:338-43. 2000
..The association between pelvic fracture pattern and the need for pelvic arterial embolization remains controversial. To address this issue, a study of the experience at Auckland Hospital was undertaken...
- Finite element modelling of the pelvis: inclusion of muscular and ligamentous boundary conditions
A T M Phillips
Edinburgh Orthopaedic Engineering Centre, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Med Eng Phys 29:739-48. 2007
..The inclusion of muscular and ligamentous boundary conditions is found to lower the occurrence of stress concentrations within the cortex...
- Biomechanical comparison of posterior pelvic ring fixation
Santa Monica Group, Santa Monica, California, USA
J Orthop Trauma 17:481-7. 2003
..To determine relative stiffness of various methods of posterior pelvic ring internal fixation...
- Repeat transcatheter arterial embolization for the management of pelvic arterial hemorrhage
Jen Feng Fang
Trauma and Critical Care Center, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Trauma 66:429-35. 2009
..However, there is a small group of patients who remain hemodynamically unstable after TAE, have no other identifiable source of bleeding, and who benefit from repeat TAE of the pelvis...
- Angioembolization provides benefits in patients with concomitant unstable pelvic fracture and unstable hemodynamics
Chih Yuan Fu
Trauma and Emergency Center, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 404, Taiwan, ROC
Am J Emerg Med 30:207-13. 2012
..In the current study, we attempted to delineate the efficacy and outcome of angioembolization in unstable pelvic fracture patients with concomitant unstable hypotension status...
- External fixation of the pelvic ring: an experimental study on the role of pin diameter, pin position, and parasymphyseal fixator pins
Kees Jan Ponsen
Trauma Unit, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam
Acta Orthop 78:648-53. 2007
..We explored methods to increase stability of external fixator constructs...
- Evolution of the hip and pelvis
Department of Orthopaedics, The Hague, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop Suppl 80:1-39. 2009
..The combination of giving birth to big brained babies and walking upright has produced marked differences between the sexes in pelvis and hip morphology, each having their characteristic mode of hip impingement and osteoarthrosis...
- Treatment of unstable pelvic ring injuries with an internal anterior fixator and posterior fixation: initial clinical series
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Detroit Receiving Hospital and University Health Center, Detroit, MI, USA
J Orthop Trauma 26:1-8. 2012
..To present a novel internal fixation device for stabilizing unstable pelvic fractures using supra-acetabular spinal pedicle screws and a subcutaneous connecting rod (INFIX)...
- Pelvic fracture and associated urologic injuries
Division of Urologic Surgery, Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University, School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
World J Surg 25:1578-87. 2001
..Impotence after pelvic fracture is predominantly vascular in origin, not neurologic as once thought...
- Angioembolization and laparotomy for patients with concomitant pelvic arterial hemorrhage and blunt abdominal trauma
Jen Feng Fang
Trauma and Critical Care Center, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, 5, Fu Hsing Street, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Langenbecks Arch Surg 396:243-50. 2011
..Treatment of patients with concomitant pelvic arterial hemorrhage and blunt abdominal trauma (BAT) is challenging. Controversies remain over the diagnostic approach and the priority of available treatment resources...
- Clinical outcomes of unstable pelvic fractures in skeletally immature patients
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, MC 0188, 777 Bannock Street, Denver, CO 80204, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2423-31. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine the factors that may influence the clinical and functional outcomes of such fractures...
- Vertical shear injuries: is there a relationship between residual displacement and functional outcome?
J V Nepola
University of Iowa College of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedics, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Trauma 46:1024-9; discussion 1029-30. 1999
..Residual vertical displacement is often cited as being related to poor outcome in patients with pelvic injuries. This study attempts to clarify the relationship between residual vertical displacement and functional outcome...
- Evidence of limited motion of the prostate by carefully emptying the rectum as assessed by daily MVCT image guidance with helical tomotherapy
Medical Physics, S Raffaele Institute, Milano, Italy
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:611-7. 2008
..To assess setup and organ motion error by means of analysis of daily megavoltage computed tomography (MVCT) of patients treated with hypofractionated helical tomotherapy (71.4-74.2 Gy in 28 fractions)...
- Trans-sacral fixation for failed posterior fixation of the pelvic ring
Paul E Beaule
Division of Orthopaedics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:49-52. 2006
..e. fixation from iliac wing to the other traversing the body of S1) may be necessary. The purpose of our study was to describe our early experience and describe the surgical technique...
- Clinical review: initial management of blunt pelvic trauma patients with haemodynamic instability
département d anesthésie réanimation chirurgicale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Univ Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Crit Care 11:204. 2007
..A decision making algorithm is proposed for the treatment of trauma patients with pelvic fracture that takes haemodynamic status and associated lesions into account...
- Fatigue stress injuries of the pelvic bones and proximal femur: evaluation with MR imaging
Martti J Kiuru
Department of Radiology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Haartmaninkatu 4, 00029 Helsinki, Finland
Eur Radiol 13:605-11. 2003
..Sixty-nine of the 174 stress injuries (40%) concerned the pelvic bones: sacrum 28 (41%); inferior pubic ramus 34 (49%); superior pubic ramus 3 (4%); iliac bone 3 (4%); and acetabulum ..
- Osteosarcoma of the pelvis: experience of the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Westfalische Wilhelms University, Munster, Germany
J Clin Oncol 21:334-41. 2003
..To define patients and tumor characteristics as well as therapy results, patients with pelvic osteosarcoma who were registered in the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group (COSS) were analyzed...
- Pelvic insufficiency fracture after pelvic radiotherapy for cervical cancer: analysis of risk factors
Department of Radiation Oncology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:1183-8. 2008
..To investigate the incidence, clinical characteristics, and risk factors of pelvic insufficiency fracture (PIF) after pelvic radiotherapy (RT) in cervical cancer...
- Free abdominal fluid on ultrasound in unstable pelvic ring fracture: is laparotomy always necessary?
Department of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
J Trauma 57:278-85; discussion 285-7. 2004
..In this study a clinical pathway for the therapy of potentially combined lesions was analyzed...
- Crush pelvic injury in the Sichuan earthquake evaluated by multidetector CT scanning
Tian Wu Chen
Department of Radiology, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu Sichuan, China
Emerg Med J 27:868-9. 2010
..CT scanning is sensitive and specific for the identification of pelvic fractures and injury to the pelvic wall soft tissue and the pelvic cavity. Crush pelvic trauma in an earthquake can be identified by multidetector CT scanning...
- Early embolization and vasopressor administration for management of life-threatening hemorrhage from pelvic fracture
Service d Anesthésie Réanimation et Unité Propre de Recherche de l Enseignement Supérieur Equipe d Accueil, Hopital de Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Trauma 58:978-84; discussion 984. 2005
..In this retrospective study, we reviewed our protocol for management of hemodynamically unstable patients with pelvic injury...
- Pelvic bone complications after radiation therapy of uterine cervical cancer: evaluation with MRI
Jong Won Kwon
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:987-94. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence and distribution of radiation-induced insufficiency fractures and to investigate other bony complications of the female pelvis associated with radiation therapy using MR images...
- The prehospital management of pelvic fractures
Academic Department of Traumatology, West Midlands, UK
Emerg Med J 24:130-3. 2007
..Pelvic immobilisation should be used routinely if there is any suspicion of pelvic fracture based on the mechanism of injury, symptoms and clinical findings...
- Contemporary management of pelvic fractures
Department of Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, 33601, USA
Am J Surg 192:211-23. 2006
..Choosing the optimum course of diagnosis and treatment for these patients can be challenging. The purpose of this review is to supply a contemporary view of the diagnosis and therapy of patients with this important group of injuries...
- The importance of fracture pattern in guiding therapeutic decision-making in patients with hemorrhagic shock and pelvic ring disruptions
Brian J Eastridge
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390, USA
J Trauma 53:446-50; discussion 450-1. 2002
- Closed reduction and iliosacral percutaneous fixation of unstable pelvic ring fractures
Orthopedic Surgery Department, Hospital del Trabajador Santiago, Ramon Carnicer 201, Providencia, Santiago, Chile
Injury 39:869-74. 2008
..To report clinical results of patients treated with closed reduction and percutaneous iliosacral screw fixation for unstable pelvic ring fractures...
- A case of pelvic bone hydatidosis--diagnosis and treatment
Vladimir P Stavrev
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University Hospital St George, Medical University, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Folia Med (Plovdiv) 48:60-3. 2006
..Echinococcosis is a frequent helminthiasis in Bulgaria. Hydatid cysts commonly affect the liver and the lung. Echinococcosis rarely involves bones (0.5 to 2.5%) and vertebral column is affected in 50% of the cases...
- Table-skeletal fixation as an adjunct to pelvic ring reduction
Joel M Matta
Hip and Pelvis Institute, St John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Orthop Trauma 21:647-56. 2007
..The surgical technique and 1 case each of an acute fracture and pelvic nonunion/malunion are presented...
- Pelvic crush fractures in survivors of the Sichuan earthquake evaluated by digital radiography and multidetector computed tomography
Tian Wu Chen
Department of Radiology, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, 37 Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, China
Skeletal Radiol 39:1117-22. 2010
..To investigate the profile of pelvic crush fractures in earthquake victims on digital radiography (DR) and multidetector computed tomography (MDCT)...
- Mortality in patients with pelvic fractures: results from the German pelvic injury register
Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, University Medical Center Freiburg, Germany
J Trauma 64:449-55. 2008
..Aim of this multicenter register study was to identify similarities and differences between pediatric and adult pelvic trauma and evaluate the influence of changes in medical treatment by comparison of two treatment periods...
- Pelvic fracture pattern does not always predict the need for urgent embolization
Eric L Sarin
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, Colorado 80204, USA
J Trauma 58:973-7. 2005
..Previous clinical reviews have associated fracture geometry with arterial hemorrhage, specifically implicating those injuries with evidence of major ligamentous disruption (MLD)...
- Tumors of the pelvis: complications after reconstruction
Department of Orthopedics, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 123:340-4. 2003
..Results of the authors' experience with 110 primary pelvic tumor resections and methods to achieve low complication rates for pelvic reconstruction are reported...
- Pelvic reconstruction techniques
Colorado Limb Consultants, Denver, 80218, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 37:85-97. 2006
..The purpose of this article is to review the functional consequences of the various pelvic resections and discuss the options available for reconstruction...
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa sacroiliitis and osteomyelitis of pelvic bones after radical prostatectomy
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Urology 60:698. 2002
..Imaging studies and biopsy indicated right sacroiliitis and persistent pseudomonas osteomyelitis of the pelvic bones. He refused surgical debridement and was successfully treated with the same antibiotics for 8 more weeks...
- Ischial spine projection into the pelvis : a new sign for acetabular retroversion
Department of Orthopedics, Balgrist University Hospital, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:677-83. 2008
..The affected inferior hemipelvis is retroverted entirely. Retroversion is not caused by a hypoplastic posterior wall or a prominence of the anterior wall only and this finding may influence management of acetabular disorders...
- A prospective study on the safety and efficacy of angiographic embolization for pelvic and visceral injuries
George C Velmahos
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma and Critical Care, University of Southern California, and the Los Angeles County and University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Trauma 53:303-8; discussion 308. 2002
..Angiographic embolization (AE) is used with increasing frequency as an alternative to surgery for control of intraperitoneal and retroperitoneal bleeding. There are no prospective studies on its efficacy, safety, and indications...
- Magnetic resonance assessment of pelvic anatomy and pelvic floor disorders after childbirth
Victoria L Handa
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 20:133-9. 2009
..Dimensions of the bony pelvis do not differ substantially between primiparous women with and without postpartum urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence and prolapse...
- Outcome of operatively treated type-C injuries of the pelvic ring
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Orthop 76:667-78. 2005
..Internal fixation has become the preferred treatment for type-C pelvic ring injuries, but controversies persist regarding surgical approach and surgical technique...
- Interobserver reliability of the young-burgess and tile classification systems for fractures of the pelvic ring
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery and daggerMartin Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 22:379-84. 2008
..The reliability of several radiographic findings was also tested...
- Reduction of displaced pelvic ring disruptions using a pelvic reduction frame
Kelly A Lefaivre
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8870, USA
J Orthop Trauma 23:299-308. 2009
..This lessens the usual assistance, training, and hardware placement difficulties associated with the surgical treatment of these injuries. The basic surgical technique and 2 cases of acute fracture treatment are presented...
- Reconstruction of the pelvic ring with vascularized double-strut fibular flap following internal hemipelvectomy
David W Chang
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:1993-2000. 2008
..The authors present an innovative method for pelvic ring reconstruction using a vascularized double-strut fibular bone flap that provides a stable pelvis and recovery of normal or near-normal gait...
- Minimally invasive transiliac plate osteosynthesis for type C injuries of the pelvic ring: a clinical and radiological follow-up
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Orthop Trauma 21:595-602. 2007
..To evaluate radiological and functional outcome in patients treated with minimally invasive transiliac plate osteosynthesis for unstable pelvic injuries...
- [Endoprosthesis in the operative treatment of bone tumours of the pelvis]
P U Tunn
Klinik fur Chirurgie und Chirurgische Onkologie, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite Campus Buch, Helios Klinikum Berlin Buch
Z Orthop Unfall 145:753-9. 2007
..Limb salvage procedures in cases of bone tumours of the pelvis are established. In this retrospective study the clinical results after implantation of megaprostheses of the pelvis are reported...
- Pelvic reconstruction using saddle prosthesis following limb salvage operation for periacetabular tumour
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Melbourne, Department of Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 14:155-62. 2006
..To assess the clinical results of pelvic reconstruction using a saddle prosthesis following limb salvage operation for periacetabular tumour...
- The role of angiography in the management of haemorrhage from major fractures of the pelvis
R E Cook
Edinburgh Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:178-82. 2002
..Embolisation of pelvic arterial bleeding is a worthwhile procedure in patients with hypotension which is unresponsive to these interventions...
- A genomewide scan for quantitative trait loci underlying areal bone size variation in 451 Caucasian families
J Med Genet 43:873-80. 2006
..Bone size is an important determinant of bone strength and is under strong genetic control...
- Outcome after pelvic sarcoma resection reconstructed with saddle prosthesis
McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 438:36-41. 2005
..However, the functional results seem to confer an advantage when compared with the considerable disability incurred after hemipelvectomy...
- Is routine portable pelvic X-ray in stable multiple trauma patients always justified in a high technology era?
Trauma Unit, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Affiliated to Rappoport Medical School, Technion, Haifa, Hadera, Israel
Injury 38:559-63. 2007
..The objective of this study was to determine the impact of PXR in stable blunt multiple trauma patients, who required CT scan for full evaluation of the abdomen and pelvis...
- Stabilization of pelvic ring disruptions with a circumferential sheet
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Trauma 52:158-61. 2002
- Pelvic compartment syndrome caused by retroperitoneal hematoma of pelvic fracture
Feng qi Zhang
Orthopaedic Center for Traumatic Emergency Treatment, Third Hospital, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang 050051, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 118:877-8. 2005
- High incidence of ischemic necrosis of the gluteal muscle after transcatheter angiographic embolization for severe pelvic fracture
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Koshigaya Hospital, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Koshigaya, Saitama, Japan
J Trauma 58:985-90. 2005
..After transcatheter angiographic embolization (TAE), massive gluteal muscle necrosis was found in patients during open reduction and internal fixation for pelvic fracture...
- Hemorrhage in pelvic fracture: who needs angiography?
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Curr Opin Crit Care 9:515-23. 2003
..This is especially true for critically injured patients in extremis...
- Circumferential pelvic antishock sheeting: a temporary resuscitation aid
M L Chip Routt
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Orthop Trauma 16:45-8. 2002
..Circumferential pelvic sheeting provides patient comfort and noninvasive, rapid, and temporary pelvic ring stability. A bed sheet is readily available, inexpensive, easily applied around the pelvis, and disposable...
- Control of severe hemorrhage using C-clamp and pelvic packing in multiply injured patients with pelvic ring disruption
Division of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Orthop Trauma 15:468-74. 2001
..Pelvic packing in addition to pelvic ring fixation with a C-clamp allows for effective control of severe hemorrhage in multiply injured patients with pelvic ring disruption...
- Pelvic limb-salvage surgery for malignant tumors
Department of Orthopedic Surgery MBC 77, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int Orthop 24:311-5. 2001
..No patients were lost to follow-up. Nine patients died from their disease after an average of 23 months (range 2 to 72 months). The 4 survivors (3 free of disease) have an average follow-up of 84 months (range 60 to 120 months)...
- Symptomatic osteoradionecrosis of pelvic bones in patients with gynecological malignancies-result of a long-term follow-up
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, 3rd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University Prague, University Hospital Kralovske Vinohrady, Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:478-83. 2006
..Patients with osteoporosis are probably at the highest risk for developing osteoradionecrotic fractures after pelvic radiotherapy. More studies are needed to find out other endogenous predictive factors...
- Percutaneous placement of iliosacral screws for unstable pelvic ring injuries: comparison between one and two C-arm fluoroscopic techniques
Kuo Ti Peng
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Chia Yi, and the The Biostatistics Center and Department of Public Health, Chang Gung University, Taiwan
J Trauma 60:602-8. 2006
..This study compares the efficacy and safety of percutaneous placement of iliosacral screws between one and two C-arm fluoroscope groups...
- Early detection of arterial bleeding in acute pelvic trauma
D J Stephen
University of Toronto, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Ontario, Canada
J Trauma 47:638-42. 1999
..To determine the accuracy of intravenous contrast-enhanced computerized tomography (CECT) in the detection of potentially life-threatening retroperitoneal hemorrhage in patients sustaining pelvic fractures, acetabular fractures or both...
- Retroperitoneal packing as a resuscitation technique for hemodynamically unstable patients with pelvic fractures: report of two representative cases and a description of technique
Wade R Smith
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
J Trauma 59:1510-4. 2005
- Pelvic angiography for recurrent traumatic pelvic arterial hemorrhage
Department of Surgery, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Trauma 59:1168-73; discussion 1173-4. 2005
..However, a small subset of patients, require repeat pelvic angiogram to evaluate and treat recurrent hemorrhage. This study seeks to define this population and determine clinical predictors of recurrent hemorrhage...
- Limb/pelvis hypoplasia/aplasia with skull defect (Schinzel phocomelia): distinctive features and prenatal detection
R S Olney
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Am J Med Genet 103:295-301. 2001
..by limb/pelvis hypoplasia/aplasia: specifically, intercalary limb deficiencies and absent or hypoplastic pelvic bones. The phenotype is similar to that described in a related multiple malformation syndrome known as Al-Awadi/Raas-..
- Estimation of pelvic tilt on anteroposterior X-rays--a comparison of six parameters
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Skeletal Radiol 35:149-55. 2006
..To compare six different parameters described in literature for estimation of pelvic tilt on an anteroposterior pelvic radiograph and to create a simple nomogram for tilt correction of prosthetic cup version in total hip arthroplasty...
- Emergent stabilization of pelvic ring injuries by controlled circumferential compression: a clinical trial
James C Krieg
Biomechanics Laboratory, Legacy Health System, Portland, OR 97232, USA
J Trauma 59:659-64. 2005
..In a prospective clinical trial, we documented how this device can provide effective reduction of open-book type pelvic injuries without causing overcompression of lateral compression type injuries...
- Mortality after successful transcatheter arterial embolization in patients with unstable pelvic fractures: rate of blood transfusion as a predictive factor
Y C Wong
Department of Radiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Trauma 49:71-5. 2000
..To determine the factors predictive of mortality in patients with unstable pelvic fractures after successful transcatheter arterial embolization...
- Periacetabular limb salvage for malignant bone tumours
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 13:273-9. 2005
..To evaluate treatment outcomes in primary malignant periacetabular bone tumour removal and limb salvage with or without bone-graft reconstruction...
- Institutional practice guidelines on management of pelvic fracture-related hemodynamic instability: do they make a difference?
Department of Trauma, Liverpool Health Service, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Trauma 58:778-82. 2005
..The aims of this study were to evaluate the adherence to the new PG and compare the outcomes before and after their implementation...
- Complications following operative treatment of primary malignant bone tumours in the pelvis
Orthopaedic University Hospital of Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstr 200A, 69118 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:893-9. 2004
..To report the complication rates of limb-salvage reconstruction in the pelvis. Detailed analyses about the type, treatment and outcome of post-operative complications, various reconstruction options are presented...
- Improvement of external fixator performance in type C pelvic ring injuries by plating of the pubic symphysis: an experimental study on 12 external fixators
K J Ponson
Department of Traumatology, Academisch Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Trauma 53:907-12; discussion 912-3. 2002
..The aim of this study is to optimize external pelvic ring fixation without dorsal ring stabilization to allow weightbearing in early mobilization of patients with unstable pelvic ring injuries...
- Emergent management of pelvic ring fractures with use of circumferential compression
Biomechanics Laboratory, Legacy Health System, Legacy Clinical Research and Technology Center, Portland, OR 97232, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:43-7. 2002
- External fixation or arteriogram in bleeding pelvic fracture: initial therapy guided by markers of arterial hemorrhage
Preston R Miller
Department of General Surgery, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Trauma 54:437-43. 2003
..Our aim was to evaluate markers of arterial bleeding in patients with BPF, thus identifying patients requiring early ANGIO regardless of fracture pattern...
- Hip transposition as a universal surgical procedure for periacetabular tumors of the pelvis
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Surg Oncol 99:169-72. 2009
..The following article gives an overview of the technique and the indications of different types of hip transposition, which were developed from the first procedure, described and published by Winkelmann in 1988...
- Preperitoneal pelvic packing in the child with an unstable pelvis: a novel approach
C Clay Cothren
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80204, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:e17-9. 2006
..Combined external pelvic fixation and preperitoneal pelvic packing may represent a revolutionary management strategy for mechanically unstable pelvis fractures in critically injured patients...
- Functional outcomes and quality of life after tumor-related hemipelvectomy
Lisa A Beck
College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Phys Ther 88:916-27. 2008
..Hemipelvectomy is a life-changing treatment for pelvic malignancies. This study compared functional outcomes and quality of life of patients following internal or external hemipelvectomies...
- Hemodynamically unstable pelvic fractures: recent care and new guidelines
Martin J Heetveld
Trauma Unit, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, P O Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
World J Surg 28:904-9. 2004
..There is an opportunity to markedly improve the rates of initial assessment of the abdomen, pelvic stabilization, and early angiography...
- Guidelines for the management of haemodynamically unstable pelvic fracture patients
Martin J Heetveld
Department of Trauma, Liverpool Health Service, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 74:520-9. 2004
..Haemodynamically unstable pelvic fracture patients have a high mortality, and decision-making is crucial. The present article discusses key clinical practice guidelines and options in the early management of these challenging patients...
- Epidemiology and outcome of complex pelvic injury
University of Freiburg Medical Center, Department of Trauma Surgery, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Acta Orthop Belg 71:41-7. 2005
..The only predictive factor for outcome was the amount of blood transfused, suggesting that fast elimination of the bleeding source decides about patient survival...
- Pelvic reconstruction with a structural pelvic allograft after resection of a malignant bone tumor
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, 10, Avenue Hippocrate, B1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:579-87. 2007
..The purpose of this investigation was to assess the functional outcome and complication rate following treatment with a bone allograft to reconstruct the pelvis...
- Stabilization of the posterior pelvic ring with a slide-insertion plate
Universitätsklinik für Unfallchirurgie und Sporttraumatologie, Medizinische Universitat Innsbruck, Osterreich
Oper Orthop Traumatol 19:16-31. 2007
..Minimally invasive stabilization of the posterior pelvic ring in type C injuries...
- Computed tomographic cystography in bladder trauma: pictorial essay
Division of Body Imaging, Department of Medical Imaging, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
Can Assoc Radiol J 55:304-8. 2004
- Inaccuracy in selection of massive bone allograft using template comparison method
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 53 avenue Mounier, 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Cell Tissue Bank 9:83-90. 2008
..This study demonstrates that current selection method is inaccurate for hemipelvic allograft selection. New methods should be developed and tested to assist tissue banks in bone allograft selection...
- Functional outcome of open reduction and internal fixation for completely unstable pelvic ring fractures (type C): a report of 40 cases
Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
J Orthop Trauma 17:555-62. 2003
..To evaluate functional outcomes, morbidity and mortality rates, and psychological and psychosomatic status in patients treated for completely unstable pelvic injuries (Tile class C)...
- Percutaneous fixation of the pelvic ring: an update
P V Giannoudis
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:145-54. 2007
..This paper presents an overview of the technical aspects of percutaneous surgery of the pelvis and acetabulum...