- A reference standard for the description of osteoporosis
John A Kanis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, UK
Bone 42:467-75. 2008
..5 SD or more below the average for young adult women. The adoption of DXA as a reference standard provides a platform on which the performance characteristics of less well established and new methodologies can be compared...
- Quantitative computed tomographic assessment of the effects of 24 months of teriparatide treatment on 3D femoral neck bone distribution, geometry, and bone strength: results from the EUROFORS study
Medizinische Physik, Klinik für Diagnostische Radiologie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 25:472-81. 2010
..Continuous TPTD treatment for 24 months improves FN bone strength parameters...
- The contour of the femoral head-neck junction as a predictor for the risk of anterior impingement
H P Nötzli
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Zurich, Switzerland
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:556-60. 2002
..This test may be of value in patients with loss of internal rotation for which a cause is not found...
- Adiponectin is associated with low bone mineral density in elderly men
Endocrine Research Unit, National Medical Center, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Cuauhtémoc 06720 Mexico
Eur J Endocrinol 160:289-93. 2009
..However, little is known about the relationship between adiponectin and BMD in men. The aim of this study was to determinate the relationship between the adiponectin levels and BMD in elderly men...
- Promoter 2 -1025 T/C polymorphism in the RUNX2 gene is associated with femoral neck bmd in Spanish postmenopausal women
Department of Genetics, University of Barcelona, Av Diagonal, 645, E 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Calcif Tissue Int 81:327-32. 2007
..001). In particular, individuals carrying the TC genotype had higher mean adjusted FN BMD values than those bearing the TT genotype. Our results highlight the importance of this RUNX2 promoter 2 polymorphism in FN BMD determination...
- Bone mass and bone size in pre- or early pubertal 10-year-old black and white South African children and their parents
MRC Mineral Metabolism Research Unit, Department of Paediatrics, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Calcif Tissue Int 88:281-93. 2011
..Heritability was comparable between environmentally disadvantaged black and advantaged white South African children and similar to that reported for Caucasians in other parts of the world...
- Standardization of bone mineral density at femoral neck, trochanter and Ward's triangle
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0628, USA
Osteoporos Int 12:438-44. 2001
..The subregion calibration formulas are most appropriate for calibrating subregion BMD values and their absolute changes, and should be adopted. Standardization is unnecessary for BMD percentage changes in our clinical trial data...
- Ten year probabilities of osteoporotic fractures according to BMD and diagnostic thresholds
J A Kanis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, UK
Osteoporos Int 12:989-95. 2001
..Intervention thresholds based on hip BMD T-scores are similar between sexes...
- Lumbar spine bone mineral density in US adults: demographic patterns and relationship with femur neck skeletal status
A C Looker
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Room 4310, 3311 Toledo Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Osteoporos Int 23:1351-60. 2012
..Prevalence of low spine BMD and agreement between the prevalence of low BMD at the spine and femur neck in older adults are also assessed.
- Imaging findings of femoroacetabular impingement syndrome
Douglas P Beall
Department of Radiologal Sciences, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 825 N E 10th Street, Suite 1400, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Skeletal Radiol 34:691-701. 2005
..In this paper, we will introduce these risk factors, the proposed supportive imaging criteria, and the ultimate interventions that can help alleviate patients' symptoms...
- Effect of a calcium and exercise intervention on the bone mineral status of 16-18-y-old adolescent girls
Samantha J Stear
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 77:985-92. 2003
..Osteoporosis may be prevented or delayed by maximizing peak bone mass through diet modification and physical activity during adolescence...
- Proximal femoral anatomy in the normal human population
Paul A Toogood
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals Case Medical Center, 2423 Overlook Road, Apartment 7, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:876-85. 2009
..23 degrees , respectively. Differences existed between males and females and between those younger and older than 50 years. Correlations were observed between translation and concavity, and translation and the neck-shaft relationships...
- Absolute fracture risk assessment using lumbar spine and femoral neck bone density measurements: derivation and validation of a hybrid system
William D Leslie
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 26:460-7. 2011
..The improvement in fracture risk prediction is small but supports clinical interest in a system that integrates LS in fracture risk assessment...
- Relationship between physical activity and bone mineral status in young adults: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts Project
C E Neville
School of Applied Medical Sciences and Sports Studies, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Shore Road, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, Northern Ireland, UK
Bone 30:792-8. 2002
..Intervention studies are warranted to determine whether peak bone density in women can be improved by participating, during childhood and adolescence, in sports activities involving high peak strain...
- Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1-34) [teriparatide] improves both cortical and cancellous bone structure
Osteoporosis and Arthritis Research Group, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0628, USA
J Bone Miner Res 18:1932-41. 2003
- Bivariate whole genome linkage analysis for femoral neck geometric parameters and total body lean mass
Fei Yan Deng
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, China
J Bone Miner Res 22:808-16. 2007
..A genome-wide bivariate analysis was conducted for femoral neck GPs and TBLM in a large white sample. We found QTLs shared by GPs and TBLM in the total sample and the sex-specific samples. QTLs with potential pleiotropy were also disclosed...
- Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: results from the Fracture Intervention Trial
S R Cummings
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco 94105, USA
JAMA 280:2077-82. 1998
..Alendronate sodium reduces fracture risk in postmenopausal women who have vertebral fractures, but its effects on fracture risk have not been studied for women without vertebral fractures...
- Levels of physical activity that predict optimal bone mass in adolescents: the HELENA study
GENUD Growth, Exercise, NUtrition and Development Research Group, School of Health Science, University of Zaragoza, Aveñida Domingo Miral s n, Zaragoza, Spain
Am J Prev Med 40:599-607. 2011
..Physical activity is necessary for bone mass development in adolescence. There are few studies quantifying the associations between physical activity and bone mass in adolescents...
- Trabecular bone modulus-density relationships depend on anatomic site
Elise F Morgan
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, 6175 Etcheverry Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 1740, USA
J Biomech 36:897-904. 2003
..15), suggesting that the site-specificity in apparent modulus-density relationships may be attributed to differences in architecture...
- Adaptation of the proximal femur to skeletal reloading after long-duration spaceflight
Thomas F Lang
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0946, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:1224-30. 2006
..We observed that the readaptation of the proximal femur to Earth's gravity entailed an increase in bone size and an incomplete recovery of volumetric BMD...
- The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis
Pierre J Meunier
Department of Rheumatology and Bone Diseases, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyons, France
N Engl J Med 350:459-68. 2004
- Association of functionally different RUNX2 P2 promoter alleles with BMD
James D Doecke
School of Medical Science, Gold Coast Campus, Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 21:265-73. 2006
..Of 16 SNPs in RUNX2 and its two promoters (P1 and P2), only SNPs in the P2 promoter were significantly associated with BMD. These P2 promoter SNPs were functionally different in gel-shift and promoter activity assays...
- Effects of different impact exercise modalities on bone mineral density in premenopausal women: a meta-analysis
Marrissa Martyn-St James
Carnegie Faculty of Sport and Education, Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, UK
J Bone Miner Metab 28:251-67. 2010
..High-impact-alone protocols are effective only on hip BMD in this group. However, diverse methodological and reporting discrepancies are evident in published trials...
- The differences of femoral neck geometric parameters: effects of age, gender and race
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, 410081, People s Republic of China
Osteoporos Int 21:1205-14. 2010
- Degree of mineralization-related collagen crosslinking in the femoral neck cancellous bone in cases of hip fracture and controls
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8, Nishi Shinbashi, Tokyo, Japan
Calcif Tissue Int 79:160-8. 2006
..These results indicate that detrimental crosslinking in both low and high mineralized bone result in impaired bone quality in osteoporotic patients...
- Changing structure of the femoral neck across the adult female lifespan
Kenneth E S Poole
Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge, Box 157, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
J Bone Miner Res 25:482-91. 2010
..It remains to be determined whether this MDCT technique can provide better prediction of hip fracture than conventional clinical dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA)...
- Prevalence of osteoporosis and reference data for lumbar spine and hip bone mineral density in a Korean population
Lian Hua Cui
Department of Public Health, Qingdao University Medical College, Qingdao, China
J Bone Miner Metab 26:609-17. 2008
..This study establishes a normative database for BMD at central skeletal sites using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and provides more reliable information on the prevalence of osteoporosis in Korea...
- Relationship between change in femoral neck bone mineral density and hip fracture incidence during treatment with strontium ranelate
Department of Epidemiology, Public Health and Health Economics, University of Liege, Belgium
Curr Med Res Opin 23:3041-5. 2007
..The objective of this study is to analyse the association between BMD changes and hip fracture incidence during treatment with SR...
- Mid-term results of 155 patients treated with a collum femoris preserving (CFP) short stem prosthesis
Endoclinic Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Int Orthop 35:655-60. 2011
..With regard to outcome, survivorship and complication rate, the medium-term results of the CFP prosthesis are promising...
- Absolute fracture-risk prediction by a combination of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound and bone mineral density
Mei Y Chan
Osteoporosis and Bone Biology Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Calcif Tissue Int 90:128-36. 2012
..These results suggest that calcaneal QUS is an independent predictor of fracture risk and that a combination of QUS and BMD measurement could improve the predictive accuracy of fracture risk in elderly women...
- Influence of muscle strength and body weight and composition on regional bone mineral density in healthy women aged 60 years and over
, , CHU Montpellier, France
Gerontology 47:207-12. 2001
..These results suggest a site-specific effect of muscular strength on bone and a potential role of the age-related decline of muscle strength in age-related bone loss in postmenopausal women...
- Dependence of yield strain of human trabecular bone on anatomic site
E F Morgan
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, 2166 Etcheverry Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 1740, USA
J Biomech 34:569-77. 2001
..These results establish that the yield strains of human trabecular bone can differ across sites, but that yield strain may be considered uniform within a given site despite substantial variation in elastic modulus and yield stress...
- Association between bone mineral density and metabolic syndrome in pre- and postmenopausal women
Yun Kyung Jeon
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Endocr J 58:87-93. 2011
..Inflammation might have a more important role in BMD than obesity in the postmenopausal women...
- Knee loading stimulates healing of mouse bone wounds in a femur neck
Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Bone 49:867-72. 2011
..in mouse femora and tibiae, we addressed a question: Does knee loading accelerate a closure of open wounds in a femur neck? A surgical wound (0...
- Does childhood and adolescence fracture influence bone mineral content in young adulthood?
Chantal E Kawalilak
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B2, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35:235-43. 2010
..These results suggest that fractures sustained during childhood and adolescence may not interfere with bone mass in young adulthood at clinically relevant bone sites...
- COL1A1 Sp1 polymorphism predicts perimenopausal and early postmenopausal spinal bone loss
H M Macdonald
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 16:1634-41. 2001
..0%), weight (5.0%), and baseline BMD (2.8%). We conclude that women homozygous for the Sp1 polymorphism are at significantly increased risk of excess rates of bone loss at the spine, but this effect may be nullified by the use of HRT...
- The prevalence of significant left-right differences in hip bone mineral density
Osteoporosis Center, College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University and VAMC, Johnson City, TN, USA
Osteoporos Int 17:1772-80. 2006
- Hip structural geometry and incidence of hip fracture in postmenopausal women: what does it add to conventional bone mineral density?
A Z LaCroix
WHI Clinical Coordinating Center, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Osteoporos Int 21:919-29. 2010
- Acetabular and femoral radiographic abnormalities associated with labral tears
Michael W Peelle
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 441:327-33. 2005
..See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- A meta-analysis of brief high-impact exercises for enhancing bone health in premenopausal women
O O Babatunde
Centre for Sport, Health and Exercise Research, Staffordshire University, Leek Road, Stoke on Trent ST4 2DF, UK
Osteoporos Int 23:109-19. 2012
- Association of the collagen type 1 (COL1A 1) Sp1 binding site polymorphism to femoral neck bone mineral density and wrist fracture in 1044 elderly Swedish women
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Calcif Tissue Int 74:264-9. 2004
..The presence of at least one copy of the "s" allele was associated with lower femoral neck BMD and previous wrist fracture and in addition, it was related to an increased risk for wrist fracture...
- Cementless CUT femoral neck prosthesis: increased rate of aseptic loosening after 5 years
Stephan Albrecht Ender
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Acta Orthop 78:616-21. 2007
..Bone-saving hip arthroplasty techniques, which facilitate revision, are gaining importance as the number of hip replacements in younger patients increases...
- Clinical risk factor assessment had better discriminative ability than bone mineral density in identifying subjects with vertebral fracture
S W Y Tsang
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Osteoporos Int 22:667-74. 2011
..The findings provide further insights into possible development of a simple, cost-effective scheme for fracture risk assessment using clinical risk factors to identify high-risk patients for further evaluation...
- [ESKA (CUT) endoprosthesis]
Chirurgia Ortopedica, Clinica Quisisana, Rom
Orthopade 33:1243-8. 2004
..Should the need arise to change the endoprosthesis, an endoprosthetic stem anchored in the diaphysis can easily be implanted after resection of the femoral neck near the base...
- Meta-analysis of walking for preservation of bone mineral density in postmenopausal women
Marrissa Martyn-St James
Carnegie Faculty of Sport and Education, Leeds Metropolitan University, Room 202, Fairfax Hall, Headingley Campus, Leeds LS6 3QT, UK
Bone 43:521-31. 2008
..Other forms of exercise that provide greater targeted skeletal loading may be required to preserve bone mineral density in this population...
- An investigation of the diagnostic value of bilateral femoral neck bone mineral density measurements
G W Petley
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Osteoporos Int 11:675-9. 2000
..Since BMD measurements are only one of a range of factors considered as part of a patient's management, it is suggested that the extra time, cost and radiation dose associated with measurement of the second femur may not be justified...
- Contribution of hip strength indices to hip fracture risk in elderly men and women
Henrik G Ahlborg
Bone and Mineral Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia, and Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
J Bone Miner Res 20:1820-7. 2005
..However, the contribution of each of these indices to hip fracture prediction was modest in the presence of BMD...
- Influence of calcium intake and physical activity on proximal femur bone mass and structure among pre- and postmenopausal women. A 10-year prospective study
The UKK Institute, P O Box 30, 33501 Tampere, Finland
Calcif Tissue Int 82:171-81. 2008
..High calcium intake seemed to slow the decline in trochanter BMC in premenopausal women, while high physical activity was beneficial for proximal femur, particularly among older women...
- Maintenance of muscle strength may counteract weight-loss-related postmenopausal bone loss--a population-based approach
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit BCRU, University of Kuopio, MediTeknia Building, P O Box 1627, 70211, and Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Osteoporos Int 17:775-82. 2006
- Distribution of cortical bone in the femoral neck and hip fracture: a prospective case-control analysis of 143 incident hip fractures; the AGES-REYKJAVIK Study
University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
Bone 48:1268-76. 2011
..In conclusion, Est CTh in the SA quadrant best discriminated cases (n=143) from controls (n=298), especially in men. Cortical thinning superiorly in the hip might be of importance in determining resistance to fracture...
- Three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging analysis of hip morphology in the assessment of femoral acetabular impingement
E C Kavanagh
Department of Radiology, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Clin Radiol 66:742-7. 2011
..To determine a possible association between femoral-acetabular impingement (FAI) volume and the development of labral tear using a three-dimensional (3D) model reconstruction of the acetabulum and the femoral head...
- Contributions of bone density and structure to fracture risk assessment in men and women
L Joseph Melton
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:460-7. 2005
..Because of the strong correlations, however, some judgment can be used in selecting the variables easiest to measure...
- Ethnic variation in bone density in premenopausal and early perimenopausal women: effects of anthropometric and lifestyle factors
Joel S Finkelstein
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA org
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3057-67. 2002
..Femoral neck BMD is highest in African-Americans and similar in Chinese, Japanese, and Caucasians. These findings may explain why Caucasian women have higher fracture rates than African-Americans and Asians...
- Pathway-based genome-wide association analysis identified the importance of EphrinA-EphR pathway for femoral neck bone geometry
The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education and Institute of Molecular Genetics, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710049, PR China
Bone 46:129-36. 2010
..Overall, these results suggest the significant genetic contribution of EphrinA-EphR pathway to femoral neck bone geometry...
- Vitamin D insufficiency does not affect response of bone mineral density to alendronate
D M Antoniucci
Department of Medicine, San Francisco Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Osteoporos Int 20:1259-66. 2009
..We found that vitamin D insufficiency is common among patients with low bone density but that vitamin D insufficiency did not impair response to alendronate...
- Herniation pits and cystic-appearing lesions at the anterior femoral neck: an anatomical study by MSCT and microCT
Department of Radiology, Trauma Center Murnau, Prof Küntscher Strasse 8, 82418 Murnau, Germany
Skeletal Radiol 39:645-54. 2010
..To determine distinguishing features between herniation pits (HPs) and other cystic-appearing lesions at the anterior femoral neck in multi-slice computed tomography (MSCT) and micro-computed tomography (microCT) examinations...
- Fibrocystic changes at anterosuperior femoral neck: prevalence in hips with femoroacetabular impingement
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Berne, Inselspital, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Radiology 236:237-46. 2005
..To retrospectively evaluate if there is an association between juxta-articular fibrocystic changes at the anterosuperior femoral neck and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI)...
- The contributions of lean tissue mass and fat mass to bone geometric adaptation at the femoral neck in Chinese overweight adults
Hunan Normal University Changsha, Hunan P R China
Ann Hum Biol 34:344-53. 2007
..Thus, the influence of body weight on bone geometry was examined in Chinese overweight adults...
- Nonspherical femoral head shape (pistol grip deformity), neck shaft angle, and risk of hip osteoarthritis: a case-control study
University of Nottingham, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust, Nottingham, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:3172-82. 2008
..To determine whether 2-dimensional measures of femoral head shape and angle are associated with hip osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Evaluation of a prediction model for long-term fracture risk
L Joseph Melton
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:551-6. 2005
..The NOF cost-effectiveness model, based on clinical risk factors and femoral neck aBMD, predicted overall fracture risk in a cohort of postmenopausal women followed for up to 22 years...
- High-dose vitamin K supplementation reduces fracture incidence in postmenopausal women: a review of the literature
Institute for Integrated Sports Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Nutr Res 29:221-8. 2009
..The review of the reliable literature confirmed the effect of vitamin K(1) and vitamin K(2) supplementation on the skeleton of postmenopausal women mediated by mechanisms other than bone mineral density and bone turnover...
- Effects of long-term strontium ranelate treatment on vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis
P J Meunier
Faculty Laennec, Claude Bernard University, Rue G Paradin, 69437, Lyon Cedex 03, France
Osteoporos Int 20:1663-73. 2009
- Effect of low-repetition jump training on bone mineral density in young women
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Faculty of Health Science, Suzuka Univ of Medical Science, Kishioka, 1001 1, Suzuka 510 0293, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 100:839-43. 2006
..From the results of the present study, low-repetition and high-impact jumps enhanced BMD at the specific bone sites in young women who had almost reached the age of peak bone mass...
- CLINICAL Review # : low body weight mediates the relationship between HIV infection and low bone mineral density: a meta-analysis
Mark J Bolland
Osteoporosis Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92 019, Auckland, New Zealand
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4522-8. 2007
..The cross-sectional studies may have been confounded by the failure to control for low body weight in HIV-infected patients...
- Prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis in Korea: a community-based cohort study with lumbar spine and hip bone mineral density
Chan Soo Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Bone 47:378-87. 2010
..To investigate bone mineral density (BMD) profiles, osteoporosis prevalence and risk factors in a community-based cohort in Korea...
- Correlations between biochemical markers of bone turnover and bone density responses in patients with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis treated with teriparatide or alendronate
Alan L Burshell
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, Endocrinology Department, 9S Lobby Tower, 1514 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Bone 46:935-9. 2010
..With both therapies, early changes in some bone turnover markers were correlated with 18-month gains in BMD in patients with GIO...
- Bone mineral density and fracture risk in type-2 diabetes mellitus: the Rotterdam Study
I I de Liefde
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 16:1713-20. 2005
..Whereas, subjects with IGT have a decreased fracture risk, subjects with DM (primarily those with already established and treated DM) had an increased fracture risk, probably due to long-term complications associated with DM...
- Targeted exercises against hip fragility
Bone Research Group, UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, 33501 Tampere, Finland
Osteoporos Int 20:1321-8. 2009
..Since odd-impact exercises are mechanically less demanding to the body, this type of exercise can provide a reasonable basis for devising feasible, targeted bone training against hip fragility...
- Physical activity and femoral neck bone strength during childhood: the Iowa Bone Development Study
Kathleen F Janz
Department of Health and Sport Studies, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Bone 41:216-22. 2007
..These results suggest that physical activity is an important contributor to bone strength prior to adolescence and that increasing levels of physical activity during childhood are likely to enhance optimal bone strength...
- Bone mineral density in adolescent female athletes: relationship to exercise type and muscle strength
Craig S Duncan
University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:286-94. 2002
..Associations between leg strength and BMD were also examined...
- Hip fractures and the contribution of cortical versus trabecular bone to femoral neck strength
Department of Orthopaedics, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Bone Miner Res 24:468-74. 2009
- Relation between age, femoral neck cortical stability, and hip fracture risk
Paul M Mayhew
Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 366:129-35. 2005
..We aimed to measure whether elastic instability increases greatly with age since it might trigger hip fracture in a sideways fall...
- Histomorphometric changes by teriparatide in alendronate-pretreated women with osteoporosis
J J Stepan
Institute of Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Na Slupi 4, CZ12850, Prague, Czech Republic
Osteoporos Int 21:2027-36. 2010
- Effect of soy isoflavone extract supplements on bone mineral density in menopausal women: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Information Center, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8636, Japan
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 19:33-42. 2010
..Soy isoflavone extract supplements increased lumbar spine BMD in menopausal women. Further studies are needed to address factors affecting the magnitudes of effect on spine and to verify the effect on hip...
- Elevated serum levels of soluble receptor activator of nuclear factors-kappaB ligand (sRANKL) and reduced bone mineral density in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS)
H R Kim
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Konkuk University Hospital, 4 12 Hwayang dong, Gwangjin gu, Seoul 143 729, Korea
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:1197-200. 2006
- Effects of calcium supplementation on clinical fracture and bone structure: results of a 5-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in elderly women
Richard L Prince
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Australia
Arch Intern Med 166:869-75. 2006
..We have examined whether calcium supplementation decreases clinical fracture risk in elderly women and its mechanism of action...
- Investigation of sex differences in hip structure in peripubertal children
Academic Rheumatology, Clinical Science at North Bristol, University of Bristol, and Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol BS10 5NB, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3876-83. 2010
..There is evidence that sex differences in hip structure are increased during puberty, possibly as a consequence of associated changes in body composition...
- Noninvasive three-dimensional assessment of femoroacetabular impingement
Center for Computer Assisted and Reconstructive Surgery, New England Baptist Hospital, Tufts University, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Orthop Res 25:122-31. 2007
- BMD, clinical risk factors and their combination for hip fracture prevention
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
Osteoporos Int 20:1675-82. 2009
- Relation between hormones and body composition, including bone, in prepubertal children
Sarah P Garnett
Institute of Endocrinology and Diabetes and the Research and Development Office, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 80:966-72. 2004
..However, data are lacking that address the extent to which concentrations of these hormones influence body composition, bone mass, and density in prepubertal children...
- Self-reported ballet classes undertaken at age 10-12 years and hip bone mineral density in later life
K M Khan
Department of Medicine, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia
Osteoporos Int 8:165-73. 1998
..The findings are consistent with the hypothesis that this age range identifies a stage of development when the proximal femur is particularly responsive to weightbearing exercise...
- Soymilk or progesterone for prevention of bone loss--a 2 year randomized, placebo-controlled trial
Institute for Optimum Nutrition, Teglgaardstraede 4, 1st Floor, 1452, Copenhagen K, Denmark
Eur J Nutr 43:246-57. 2004
..Progesterone has been suggested as a bone-trophic hormone, but the effect of long-term, low dose transdermal progesterone is unknown...
- Strength training preserves the bone mineral density of postmenopausal women without hormone replacement therapy
Danilo Sales Bocalini
Federal University of São Paulo and Heart Institute, Medical School of Sao Paulo University, Rue General Chagas Santos 392, CEP 04146 050 São Paulo, Brazil
J Aging Health 21:519-27. 2009
..The study was designed to evaluate the effects of strength training (ST) on the bone mineral density (BMD) of postmenopausal women without hormone replacement therapy...
- Tracking of bone mass and density during childhood and adolescence
Heidi J Kalkwarf
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1690-8. 2010
..The stability of a characteristic during growth is referred to as "tracking."..
- Long-term treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with strontium ranelate: results at 8 years
J Y Reginster
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Bone 45:1059-64. 2009
..This article describes the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of this agent over 8 years...
- Teriparatide [PTH(1-34)] strengthens the proximal femur of ovariectomized nonhuman primates despite increasing porosity
Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:623-9. 2004
..Beneficial effects of teriparatide treatment on the proximal femur persisted beyond the treatment period and may extend to the marrow...
- Effect of long-term intervention of soy isoflavones on bone mineral density in women: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Bone 44:948-53. 2009
..A number of RCTs have examined the role of soy isoflavones on bone mineral density (BMD) and yielded inconsistent results. This meta-analyses aims to assess the overall effect of soy isoflavones on BMD...
- Do normal radiographs exclude asphericity of the femoral head-neck junction?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Freiburgstrasse, 3010, Bern, Switzerland
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:651-9. 2009
..Even when conventional radiographs appeared normal, an increased alpha angle was present anterosuperiorly. Without the use of radial slices in MRA, the asphericity would be underestimated in these patients...
- Risk factors associated with peri- and postmenopausal bone loss: does HRT prevent weight loss-related bone loss?
Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, Finland
Osteoporos Int 14:27-33. 2003
..Furthermore, HRT seems to be effective in prevention of weight loss related bone loss...
- The effects of parathyroid hormone, alendronate, or both in men with osteoporosis
Joel S Finkelstein
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1216-26. 2003
..Because parathyroid hormone increases both bone formation and bone resorption, it is possible that combining parathyroid hormone with an antiresorptive agent will enhance its effect on bone mineral density...
- Bone mineral density in acute stroke patients: low bone mineral density may predict first stroke in women
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Norway
Stroke 32:47-51. 2001
..Thus, low bone mineral density (BMD) and high stroke risk may be related. We examined the relationship between BMD and acute stroke in noninstitutionalized men and women aged >/=60 years...
- Association between COLIA1 Sp1 alleles and femoral neck geometry
A M Qureshi
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Foresterhill, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 69:67-72. 2001
..The association COLIAI genotype and increased femoral neck angle noted here may therefore contribute to the BMD-independent increase in hip fracture risk noted in previous studies of individuals who carry the 's' allele...
- Cross-calibration of dual-energy X-ray densitometers for a large, multi-center genetic study of osteoporosis
D M Reid
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Medical School, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, UK
Osteoporos Int 17:125-32. 2006
- Notching of the femoral neck during resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip: a vascular study
P E Beaulé
Joint Replacement Institute at Orthopaedic Hospital, 2400 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:35-9. 2006
..Surgeons who perform resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip should pay careful attention to these vessels by avoiding excessive dissection around the femoral neck and/or notching...
- [Herniation pits and their renaissance in association with femoroacetabular impingement]
Radiologie, Unfallklinik Murnau
Rofo 182:565-72. 2010
..In summary, HPs should always be recognized and documented because they may contribute to the diagnosis of FAI which is essential for preventing or delaying osteoarthritis of the hip joint in the early stage...
- Relationship between 3-month changes in biochemical markers of bone remodelling and changes in bone mineral density and fracture incidence in patients treated with strontium ranelate for 3 years
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, CHU Sart Tilman, University of Liege, Bat B23, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 21:1031-6. 2010
- Early changes in biochemical markers of bone turnover and their relationship with bone mineral density changes after 24 months of treatment with teriparatide
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, UK
Osteoporos Int 22:1935-46. 2011
..Prior therapy does not adversely affect the response to teriparatide treatment. Similar bone markers levels are reached after 6 months of treatment...
- Herniation pits in the femoral neck: a radiographic indicator of femoroacetabular impingement?
Jin Ah Kim
Department of Radiology, Kyung Hee University Medical Center, Kyung Hee University, Hoeki Dong 1, Dongdaemoon Ku, Seoul, 130 702, Korea
Skeletal Radiol 40:167-72. 2011
..Therefore it can be concluded that an incidental finding of herniation pits does not necessarily imply a correlation with FAI...
- During sideways falls proximal femur fractures initiate in the superolateral cortex: evidence from high-speed video of simulated fractures
Peter M de Bakker
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Centre for Hip Health and Mobility, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Biomech 42:1917-25. 2009
..Our results confirm the superolateral neck of the femur as an important region of interest for future hip fracture screening, prevention and treatment research...
- Femoroacetabular impingement: bone marrow oedema associated with fibrocystic change of the femoral head and neck junction
S L J James
Department of Radiology, RNOH Stanmore, Stanmore, Middlesex, UK
Clin Radiol 62:472-8. 2007
..To describe the association of bone marrow oedema adjacent to areas of fibrocystic change at the femoral head and neck junction in patients with femoroacetabular impingement...
- Site-specific differences in bone mineral density in black and white premenopausal South African women
UCT MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, P O Box 115, Newlands 7725, South Africa
Osteoporos Int 23:533-42. 2012
..Femoral neck and total hip BMD were higher, but lumbar spine BMD was lower in black women, with body composition, lifestyle and socioeconomic status (SES) factors contributing differently in ethnic groups...