- Intracortical remodelling and porosity in the distal radius and post-mortem femurs of women: a cross-sectional study
Roger M D Zebaze
Department of Medicine, Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Lancet 375:1729-36. 2010
..We aimed to re-examine cortical bone as a source of bone loss in the appendicular skeleton...
- Age- and gender-related differences in the geometric properties and biomechanical significance of intracortical porosity in the distal radius and tibia
Andrew J Burghardt
Musculoskeletal Quantitative Imaging Research Group, Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:983-93. 2010
..methods applied to high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography (HR-pQCT) images of the distal radius and tibia...
- Quantitative characterization of subject motion in HR-pQCT images of the distal radius and tibia
Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering, University of California at San Francisco and Berkeley, San Francisco and Berkeley, CA, USA
Bone 48:1291-7. 2011
..A total of 88 HR-pQCT exams with repeated acquisitions of the distal radius (N = 54) or distal tibia (N = 34) of 49 women (age = 59 ± 14 year) and 3 men (46 ± 2 year) were retrospectively ..
- Poor trabecular microarchitecture at the distal radius in older men with increased concentration of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein--the STRAMBO study
INSERM UMR 1033, Université de Lyon and Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon, France
Calcif Tissue Int 90:496-506. 2012
..We assessed the association of hsCRP with bone microarchitecture (measured by high-resolution pQCT) at the distal radius and tibia in 1,149 men, aged 19-87 years...
- [An alternative fixation method for the treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures: locked distal radius plate]
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 43:324-30. 2009
..We evaluated the results of surgical treatment of displaced distal clavicle fractures using locked distal radius plates.
- Reproducibility of direct quantitative measures of cortical bone microarchitecture of the distal radius and tibia by HR-pQCT
Andrew J Burghardt
Musculoskeletal Quantitative Imaging Research Group, Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Bone 47:519-28. 2010
..segment and directly quantify cortical density, geometry, and microarchitecture from HR-pQCT images of the distal radius and tibia...
- Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland
Ville M Mattila
Division of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Department of Trauma, Musculoskeletal Surgery and Rehabilitation, Tampere University Hospital, and Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
J Trauma 71:939-42; discussion 942-3. 2011
Studies from the United States report a large increase in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures with open reduction and internal fixation using locked plates...
- Bone geometry and density in the skeleton of pre-pubertal gymnasts and school children
K A Ward
Clinical Radiology, Imaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Bone 36:1012-8. 2005
..We hypothesised that compared to controls, gymnasts would have larger and stronger radius and tibia diaphyses with greater bone mineral content and larger cross-sectional muscle area...
- Bone micro-architecture and determinants of strength in the radius and tibia: age-related changes in a population-based study of normal adults measured with high-resolution pQCT
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Wort s Causeway, Cambridge, CB1 8RN, UK
Osteoporos Int 20:1683-94. 2009
..Important effects of ageing and contrasts in the effects of sex on the micro-architecture and strength of upper and lower limb bones were revealed...
- Postmenopausal women with osteopenia have higher cortical porosity and thinner cortices at the distal radius and tibia than women with normal aBMD: an in vivo HR-pQCT study
Kyle K Nishiyama
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 25:882-90. 2010
..The analysis was applied to distal radius and tibia HR-pQCT scans from a subset of participants from the Calgary, Alberta, cohort of the Canadian ..
- Volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures
Miami Hand Center, 8905 Southwest 87 Avenue, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33176, USA
Hand Clin 21:347-54. 2005
..be considered as the beginning of a new era in restoring wrist function to patients with dorsally displaced distal radius fractures even in the face of comminuted or osteopenic bone...
- Treatment of reducible unstable fractures of the distal radius in adults: a randomised controlled trial of De Palma percutaneous pinning versus bridging external fixation
João C Belloti
Departamento de Ortopedia e Traumatologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, São Paulo 04038 032, Brazil
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:137. 2010
..there is no conclusive evidence regarding the best treatment method for reducible unstable fractures of the distal radius. This study compared the effectiveness of two methods used in surgical treatment of such fractures: percutaneous ..
- Internal versus external fixation for unstable distal radius fractures: an up-to-date meta-analysis
Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Int Orthop 35:1333-41. 2011
Our aim was to compare the effect of internal vs external fixation for unstable distal radius fractures regarding postoperative complications, clinical results and radiological outcomes.
- Habitual use of the primate forelimb is reflected in the material properties of subchondral bone in the distal radius
Kristian J Carlson
Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine, Stony Brook University, USA
J Anat 208:659-70. 2006
..We evaluated subchondral bone in the distal radius of several primates whose locomotion could be characterized in one of three general ways (quadrupedal, suspensory ..
- Peripheral quantitative computed tomography of the proximal radius in young subjects--new reference data and interpretation of results
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, Montreal, Canada
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 8:217-26. 2008
..provide reference data for peripheral quantitative computed tomography (Stratec XCT2000) performed at the proximal radius (the so-called '65% site') of young subjects and to discuss the interpretation of such analyses...
- Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the forearm with radius involvement. Case report
Claudia D Gherman
Surgical Clinic No 2, Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy, No 4 6 Clinicilor Street, 400006 Cluj Napoca, Romania
Diagn Pathol 6:120. 2011
..We present the case of a young man, 24-year-old, with EHE of the forearm with secondary involvement of the distal radius. The location and the extension of the tumor allowed a wide excision, without the reconstruction of radius, ..
- Determinants of the first decade of bone loss after menopause at spine, hip and radius
University of Cambridge Department of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, UK
QJM 92:261-73. 1999
..Forty-three women underwent repeated measurements of bone density at the lumbar spine, proximal femur and distal radius for up to 14 years...
- Relation between image-based assessment of distal radius trabecular structure and compressive strength
C L Gordon
Osteoporosis and Arthritis Research Group, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Can Assoc Radiol J 49:390-7. 1998
..To investigate the degree to which an image-based assessment of trabecular bone structure can predict bone strength...
- Bone mass and strength in older men with type 2 diabetes: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study
Moira A Petit
School of Kinesiology, Laboratory for Musculoskeletal Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:285-91. 2010
..At both the distal tibia and radius, patients with T2DM had greater bone vBMD (+2% to +4%, model 1, p < ...
- Ulnar growth patterns in radial longitudinal deficiency
Anthony M Sestero
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:960-7. 2006
..To determine the association between centralization surgical procedures and the longitudinal growth of the ulna in radial longitudinal deficiency (RLD)...
- Which treatment is the best for giant cell tumors of the distal radius? A meta-analysis
Yu Peng Liu
Department of Orthopaedics, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, 87 Xiangya Road, Changsha, Hunan, 410008, PR China
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:2886-94. 2012
Intralesional excision and en bloc resection are used to treat giant cell tumors (GCTs) of the distal radius. However, it is unclear whether one provides lower rates of recurrences and fewer complications, and whether the use of ..
- Radius pull test: predictor of longitudinal forearm instability
Adam M Smith
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Medical Center Boulevard, Box 1070, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1970-6. 2002
..This cadaveric study examines a stress test that can be performed in the operating room to identify injury to the ligamentous structures of the forearm...
- The effect of fracture-related factors on the functional outcome at 1 year in distal radius fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi, India
Injury 33:499-502. 2002
Sixty-nine cases of distal radius fracture were studied retrospectively for various factors that might affect the functional outcome...
- Pre-centralization soft tissue distraction for Bayne type IV congenital radial deficiency in children
Department of Orthopedics, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Doctors Office Center, 90 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:377-81. 2005
..All families were pleased with the results. These findings suggest that a staged surgical approach is a technically feasible alternative in the treatment of severe congenital radial club hand deformity in young children...
- Finite element analysis performed on radius and tibia HR-pQCT images and fragility fractures at all sites in postmenopausal women
INSERM Research Unit 831 and Université de Lyon, Lyon, France
Bone 46:1030-7. 2010
Assessment of bone strength at the radius by micro-finite element analysis (muFEA) has already been associated with wrist fractures...
- HR-pQCT based FE analysis of the most distal radius section provides an improved prediction of Colles' fracture load in vitro
Institute of Lightweight Design and Structural Biomechanics, Vienna University of Technology, Gußhausstraße 27 29, A 1040 Vienna, Austria
Bone 47:982-8. 2010
..The remarkable performances of high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography (HR-pQCT) make the distal radius a favorable site for early diagnosis of osteoporosis and improved Colles' fracture risk assessment...
- The recurrence of deformity after surgical centralization for radial clubhand
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 25:745-51. 2000
- Abnormal microarchitecture and reduced stiffness at the radius and tibia in postmenopausal women with fractures
Emily M Stein
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:2572-81. 2010
..fracture had aBMD measured by DXA and trabecular and cortical vBMD and trabecular microarchitecture of the radius and tibia measured by HR-pQCT...
- Distraction and microvascular epiphysis transfer for radial club hand
S K Vilkki
Department of Hand and Microsurgery, Tampere University Hospital, Finland
J Hand Surg Br 23:445-52. 1998
..This technique appears to be promising but is demanding because of the microvascular joint transplantation at an early age...
- Buttressing angle of the double-plating fixation of a distal radius fracture: a finite element study
Chun Li Lin
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hua 1st Road, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan, 333, Taiwan
Med Biol Eng Comput 44:665-73. 2006
Treatment of a distal radius fracture should consider principles including stable fixation and early motion...
- Finite element analysis performed on radius and tibia HR-pQCT images and fragility fractures at all sites in men
INSERM Research Unit 831 and Université de Lyon, Lyon, France
J Bone Miner Res 26:965-73. 2011
..assessed by high resolution (HR)-pQCT, and finite element (µFE) analysis was based on HR-pQCT images of distal radius and tibia...
- Serum leptin and adiponectin are positively associated with bone mineral density at the distal radius in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Department of Molecular and Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Metabolism 56:623-8. 2007
..Bone mineral density was measured by using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry at different sites (distal radius, femoral neck, and lumbar spine) and was expressed as z score...
- Functional outcome after centralization for radius dysplasia
Charles A Goldfarb
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University, One Barnes Hospital Plaza, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Hand Surg Am 27:118-24. 2002
Centralization for radius dysplasia purportedly offers a more normal appearance, provides length to a shortened forearm, and improves upper-extremity function. Limited objective outcome data, however, exist to substantiate its use...
- The association of disproportionate skeletal growth and abnormal radius dimension ratio with curve severity in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Wei Jun Wang
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 5 F, Clinical Science Building, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Eur Spine J 19:726-31. 2010
..whether disproportional ossification and skeletal growth occurred in the peripheral bone of AIS patients using the radius as the target bone...
- Decreased bone mineral density at the distal radius, but not at the lumbar spine or the femoral neck, in Japanese type 2 diabetic patients
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Rakuwakai Otowa Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:907-13. 2005
..density (BMD) at the sites with different cortical/cancellous bone ratio (lumbar spine, femoral neck, and distal radius) using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry...
- Giant cell tumour of the distal radius: wide resection and reconstruction by non-vascularised proximal fibular autograft
Ayman Abdelaziz Bassiony
Orthopaedic Surgery, Ain Shams University, Egypt
Ann Acad Med Singapore 38:900-4. 2009
..Juxtaarticular giant cell tumours of the lower end radius are common and present a special problem of reconstruction after tumour excision...
- Muscle weakness, spasticity and disuse contribute to demineralization and geometric changes in the radius following chronic stroke
M Y C Pang
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong, China
Osteoporos Int 18:1243-52. 2007
Bone health status of the radius in individuals with chronic stroke was evaluated using peripheral quantitative computed tomography...
- Bone strength at the distal radius can be estimated from high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography and the finite element method
Joshua A MacNeil
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Bone 42:1203-13. 2008
..tomography, the finite element (FE) analysis may provide a means to assess patient bone strength in the distal radius. The purpose of this study was to determine an appropriate FE procedure to estimate bone strength by comparison ..
- Denosumab improves density and strength parameters as measured by QCT of the radius in postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density
H K Genant
Dept of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Bone 47:131-9. 2010
..tomography (QCT) separately assesses cortical and trabecular bone reliably at various sites, including the distal radius where there is a gradation of cortical and trabecular bone...
- The impact of accurate positioning on measurements made by peripheral QCT in the distal radius
E J Marjanovic
Clinical Radiology, Imaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Osteoporos Int 20:1207-14. 2009
..The results showed 25% of scans were not performed in the same anatomical location at follow-up when one section was scanned. These results have implications for accurate follow-up BMD measurements...
- Long-term protein intake and dietary potential renal acid load are associated with bone modeling and remodeling at the proximal radius in healthy children
Research Institute of Child Nutrition, Dortmund, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1107-14. 2005
..Protein and alkalizing minerals are increasingly described as playing a major role in influencing bone status, not only in the elderly but also in children and adolescents...
- Pathway-based genome-wide association analysis identified the importance of regulation-of-autophagy pathway for ultradistal radius BMD
Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, School of Science, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
J Bone Miner Res 25:1572-80. 2010
..important to wrist BMD variation, we used a novel pathway-based analysis approach in our GWAS of wrist ultradistal radius (UD) BMD, examining approximately 500,000 SNPs genome-wide from 984 unrelated whites...
- Effects on bone geometry, density, and microarchitecture in the distal radius but not the tibia in women with primary hyperparathyroidism: A case-control study using HR-pQCT
Department of Endocrinology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
J Bone Miner Res 25:1941-7. 2010
..HR-pQCT) is a new technique for in vivo assessment of geometry, volumetric density, and microarchitecture at the radius and tibia. In this study we aimed to evaluate bone status in women with PHPT compared with controls using HR-pQCT...
- The in vivo bone formation by mesenchymal stem cells in zein scaffolds
The Key Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 225 South Chongqing Road, Shanghai 200025, PR China
Biomaterials 30:4369-76. 2009
..Furthermore, we implanted them into the radius defects of rabbits and assessed whether they could be helpful in the repair of critical-sized bone defects...
- Role of sex steroids in the regulation of bone morphology in men. The MINOS study
INSERM Research Unit 403, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Place d Arsonval, 69437, Lyon, France
Osteoporos Int 15:909-17. 2004
..cross-sectional area (CSA), section modulus, buckling ratio and strength index of the femoral neck and distal radius on 760 men aged 40-85 years...
- A physical model for dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry--derived bone mineral density
Bone Research Group, UKK Institute, Tampere, Finland
Invest Radiol 35:325-30. 2000
..The goal of this study was to develop and validate a physical model for appropriate interpretation of BMD...
- Non-invasive bone competence analysis by high-resolution pQCT: an in vitro reproducibility study on structural and mechanical properties at the human radius
Thomas L Mueller
Institute for Biomechanics, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Bone 44:364-71. 2009
- Functional outcome of en bloc excision and osteoarticular allograft replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radius
Robert M Szabo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, 95817, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:1340-8. 2006
Multiple options have been reported for reconstruction of Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radius after resection...
- Association of physical activity with trabecular microstructure and cortical bone at distal tibia and radius in young adult men
Center for Bone Research at the Sahlgrenska Academy, Institute of Medicine, University of Gothenburg, 416 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2917-26. 2010
..The relationship between physical activity, trabecular microstructure, and cortical geometry in weight-bearing and non-weight-bearing bone has not previously been studied in men...
- Variations in morphological and biomechanical indices at the distal radius in subjects with identical BMD
Galateia J Kazakia
Musculoskeletal Quantitative Imaging Research Group, Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California, 185 Berry Street, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Biomech 44:257-66. 2011
..The goal of this study was to determine--within groups of subjects with identical radius aBMD values--the extant variation in densitometric, geometric, microstructural, and biomechanical parameters...
- Do radiographic indices of distal radius fracture reduction predict outcomes in older adults receiving conservative treatment?
J L Jaremko
Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin Radiol 62:65-72. 2007
..To investigate whether radiographic deformities suggesting inadequate reduction would be associated with adverse clinical outcomes...
- A ceramic prosthesis for the treatment of tumours of the distal radius
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Niigata Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1656-8. 2006
..following juxta-articular resection of tumours, there are few reports of prosthetic replacement of the distal radius. We present two cases of massive bone defects of the distal radius in which alumina ceramic prosthetic ..
- Early impairment of trabecular microarchitecture assessed with HR-pQCT in patients with stage II-IV chronic kidney disease
Centre de Référence des Maladies Rénales Rares, Service de Néphrologie et Rhumatologie Pédiatriques, Hopital Femme Mere Enfant, Bron, France
J Bone Miner Res 25:849-57. 2010
..3D imaging technique [high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography (HR-pQCT)] at the tibia and radius in 70 stage II-IV CKD patients older than 50 years of age; controls belonged to two cohorts of healthy subjects ..
- Outcome following nonoperative treatment of displaced distal radius fractures in low-demand patients older than 60 years
B T Young
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
J Hand Surg Am 25:19-28. 2000
..evaluated for function and radiographic results following nonoperative treatment of displaced distal radius fractures. The mean age was 72 years and the average follow-up period was 34 months...
- Paraarticular trabecular bone loss at the ultradistal radius and increased arterial stiffening in postmenopausal patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, and Senboku Second Hospital, Asahi machi, Osaka, Japan
J Rheumatol 33:652-8. 2006
..Our aim was to examine whether arterial stiffening, another aspect of atherosclerosis, is also increased in patients with RA, and to determine if it is an important risk factor...
- Reproducibility of trabecular bone structure measurements of the distal radius at 1.5 and 3.0 T magnetic resonance imaging
Institut fur Radiologie, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
J Comput Assist Tomogr 36:623-6. 2012
..this study was to assess and compare the reproducibility of trabecular bone structure measurements of the distal radius at 1.5 and 3.0 T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Root mean square reproducibility errors ranged from 0.69% to 4...
- Peripheral quantitative computed tomography of the distal radius in young subjects - new reference data and interpretation of results
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, Montreal, Canada
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 5:119-26. 2005
..interpretation of results for peripheral quantitative computed tomography (Stratec XCT2000 performed at the distal radius of young subjects...
- Performance of the MRI-based virtual bone biopsy in the distal radius: serial reproducibility and reliability of structural and mechanical parameters in women representative of osteoporosis study populations
Shing Chun Benny Lam
Laboratory for Structural NMR Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Bone 49:895-903. 2011
..performance of the MRI-based virtual bone biopsy in terms of 26 structural and mechanical parameters in the distal radius of 20 women in the age range of 50 to 75 years (mean=62.0 years, S.D.=8...
- The hominoid proximal radius: re-interpreting locomotor behaviors in early hominins
Biren A Patel
Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 4364, USA
J Hum Evol 48:415-32. 2005
..Specifically, morphometric variables of the proximal radius were derived from measurements from a sample of all genera of extant hominoids and casts of extinct hominin ..
- Long-term results of surgery for forearm deformities in patients with multiple cartilaginous exostoses
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Osaka Minami Medical Center, 2 1 Kidohigashi, Kawachinagano, Osaka 586 8521, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1993-9. 2007
..The purpose of the present study was to determine the reasonable indications for operative treatment and to evaluate long-term results of forearm surgery in these patients...
- Variable-angle locking screw volar plating of distal radius fractures
Jung H Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Temple University Hospital, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Hand Clin 26:373-80, vi. 2010
Surgical treatment options for distal radius fractures are many and commonly involve volar locked plating...
- Local topological analysis at the distal radius by HR-pQCT: Application to in vivo bone microarchitecture and fracture assessment in the OFELY study
J B Pialat
Inserm U1033, France
Bone 51:362-8. 2012
..peripheral quantitative computed tomography (HR-pQCT) is an in-vivo technique used to analyze the distal radius and tibia. It provides a voxel size of 82μm...
- Radiological evaluation of the effect of biphasic calcium phosphate scaffold (HA+TCP) with 5, 10 and 20 percentage of porosity on healing of segmental bone defect in rabbit radius
M R Farahpour
Department of Clinical Science, Islamic Azad University, Uromia, Iran
Bratisl Lek Listy 113:529-33. 2012
..induction of general anesthesia, a segmental bone defect of 10 mm in length was created in the middle of the right radius shaft. In group A, the defect was stabilized with miniplate and 2 screws and left untreated...
- The use of beta-tricalcium phosphate bone graft substitute in dorsally plated, comminuted distal radius fractures
Michael G Jakubietz
Department of Trauma, Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
J Orthop Surg Res 6:24. 2011
Intraarticular distal radius fractures can be treated with many methods...
- Gender differences in trabecular bone architecture of the distal radius assessed with magnetic resonance imaging and implications for mechanical competence
Institute of Anatomy and Muskuloskeletal Research, Paracelsus Medical Private University, Strubergasse 21, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Osteoporos Int 16:1124-33. 2005
..Despite obvious gender differences in fracture incidence at the distal radius, little is known about gender differences in trabecular bone microarchitecture and its relationship to the ..
- Treatment of distal clavicle fracture with distal radius volar locking compression plate
Department of Orthopedics, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Orthopaedic Implant, Ninth People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200011, China
Chin J Traumatol 12:299-301. 2009
To observe the early clinical outcomes of the internal fixation with distal radius volar locking compression plate (LCP) in treatment of distal clavicle fracture.
- Impact of denosumab on the peripheral skeleton of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: bone density, mass, and strength of the radius, and wrist fracture
James A Simon
George Washington University, Washington DC, USA
Menopause 20:130-7. 2013
The aim of this study was to report the effects of denosumab on radius cortical and trabecular bone density, mass, and strength, and wrist fracture incidence in the FREEDOM (Fracture REduction Evaluation of Denosumab in Osteoporosis every ..
- Ontogenetic patterns of limb loading, in vivo bone strains and growth in the goat radius
Russell P Main
Concord Field Station, Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, 100 Old Causeway Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Exp Biol 207:2577-88. 2004
..The goal of this study was to relate forelimb loads to in vivo bone strains in the radius of the domestic goat (Capra hircus) across a range of gaits and speeds through ontogeny while observing how the ..
- Low-frequency axial ultrasound velocity correlates with bone mineral density and cortical thickness in the radius and tibia in pre- and postmenopausal women
Department of Physics, University of Jyvaskyla, PO BOX 35 YFL, 40014 Jyvaskyla, Finland
Osteoporos Int 22:1103-13. 2011
Axial transmission velocity of a low-frequency first arriving signal (V (LF)) was assessed in the radius and tibia of 254 females, and compared to site-matched pQCT measurements...
- Multiscale computational and experimental approaches to elucidate bone and ligament mechanobiology using the ulna-radius-interosseous membrane construct as a model system
M L Knothe Tate
Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Technol Health Care 20:363-78. 2012
..well for the study of functional adaptation in bone and the interosseous membrane, a ligament spanning between the radius and ulna...
- Morphology of the distal radius in extant hominoids and fossil hominins: implications for the evolution of bipedalism
Department of Anthropology, City University of New York and NYCEP, New York, New York, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 295:454-64. 2012
..Using three-dimensional geometric morphometrics, this study tests whether the distal radius of extant hominoids is sufficient for determining locomotor pattern and the affiliations of Plio-Pleistocene ..
- Treatment of multiple hereditary osteochondromas of the forearm in children: a study of surgical procedures
E K Shin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery UCLA, Centre for Health Sciences, 10833 LeConte Avenue, Los Angeles 90095, California, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:255-60. 2006
..The Sauvé-Kapandji procedure combined with simple excision of osteochondromas can improve stability of the wrist, movement of the forearm and the radiological appearance...
- Validation of an HR-pQCT-based homogenized finite element approach using mechanical testing of ultra-distal radius sections
Institute of Lightweight Design and Structural Biomechanics, Vienna University of Technology, Gusshausstrasse 27 29, Vienna, Austria
Biomech Model Mechanobiol 10:431-44. 2011
Osteoporotic (Colles' type) fractures of the distal radius occur relatively early in lifetime and could estimate risk of fracture of other, more endangered anatomical sites...
- Accuracy of pQCT for evaluating the aged human radius: an ashing, histomorphometry and failure load investigation
M C Ashe
Department of Family Practice, University of British Columbia, Suite 320 5950 University Blvd, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6T 1Z3
Osteoporos Int 17:1241-51. 2006
..However, in a compromised osteoporotic bone, thin cortices and low scan resolution can limit accurate analysis...
- The dorsal horizon view: detecting screw protrusion at the distal radius
Samuel James Joseph
Department of Orthopaedics, Southern Health, Dandenong, Australia
J Hand Surg Am 36:1691-3. 2011
Extensor tendon injury after osteosynthesis of distal radius fractures is a well-documented complication...
- Bone density spatial patterns in the distal radius reflect habitual hand postures adopted by quadrupedal primates
Biren A Patel
Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 4364, USA
J Hum Evol 52:130-41. 2007
..g., magnitudes and patterns) in the subchondral cortical plate of bone of the distal radius can be used to evaluate load regimes experienced by the wrist joint in different hand postures...
- Comparison of surgical treatment and nonoperative management for radial longitudinal deficiency
P P Kotwal
Department of Orthopaedics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 37:161-9. 2012
..Surgical treatment of radial longitudinal deficiency provides improvement in cosmesis, function and ease of performance of activities when compared with nonoperatively managed hands...
- An analysis of bone regeneration at a segmental bone defect by controlled release of bone morphogenetic protein 2 from a biodegradable sponge composed of gelatin and β-tricalcium phosphate
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 6:291-8. 2012
- Long-term complications of distal radius bone grafts
Jagruti C Patel
University of Connecticut, Connecticut Children s Medical Center, Hartford, CT, USA
J Hand Surg Am 28:784-8. 2003
To assess long-term results and complications of cancellous bone graft taken from the distal radius.
- Radius bone strength in bending, compression, and falling and its correlation with clinical densitometry at multiple sites
Eva Maria Lochmüller
Frauenklinik Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 17:1629-38. 2002
..and nonsite-specific clinical densitometric techniques for predicting mechanical strength of the distal radius in different loading configurations...
- Discrimination of proximal hip fracture by quantitative ultrasound measurement at the radius
Endocrine Institute, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Osteoporos Int 11:411-6. 2000
..reports suggested that of the different skeletal sites measured by this device, the distal third of the radius is the preferred measurement site for osteoporosis...
- Trabecular bone architecture in the distal radius using magnetic resonance imaging in subjects with fractures of the proximal femur. Magnetic Resonance Science Center and Osteoporosis and Arthritis Research Group
Department of Radiology, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Osteoporos Int 10:231-9. 1999
To determine whether magnetic resonance (MR)-derived measures of trabecular bone architecture in the distal radius are predictive for prevalent hip fractures, 20 subjects with hip fractures and 19 age-matched postmenopausal controls were ..
- Hip fracture discrimination study: QUS of the radius and the calcaneum
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, CH
J Clin Densitom 6:163-72. 2003
..of technologically different QUS devices available on the market and, so far, no study has compared heel and radius QUS device for the discrimination of subjects with hip fractures...
- The spectrum of radial longitudinal deficiency: a modified classification
M A James
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shriners Hospital Northern California, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Hand Surg Am 24:1145-55. 1999
..that includes the spectrum of pathology affecting the radial side of the extremity, including deficiency of the radius, carpal abnormalities, and hypoplastic thumbs...
- Lengthening of the forearm by callus distraction
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 21:151-63. 1996
..distal ulna in five cases, enchondroma of the distal ulna in one, growth disturbance after fracture of the distal radius in one, radial club hand in one, congenital amputation of the forearm in one and congenital dislocation of the ..
- Thrombocytopenia-absent radius (TAR) syndrome: a clinical genetic series of 14 further cases. impact of the associated 1q21.1 deletion on the genetic counselling
Service de Génétique clinique Guy Fontaine, CHRU Lille, France
Eur J Med Genet 54:e471-7. 2011
Thrombocytopenia-absent radius Syndrome (TAR) is a rare congenital malformation syndrome of complicated transmission. 1q21.1 deletion is necessary but not sufficient for its expression...
- The use of frozen-allograft radial head replacement for treatment of established symptomatic proximal translation of the radius: preliminary experience in five cases
R M Szabo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, Davis, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Hand Surg Am 22:269-78. 1997
Five patients with disabling symptoms related to proximal translation (> 1 cm) of the radius following radial head excision (Essex-Lopresti lesion) were treated with implantation of a frozen-allograft radial head prosthesis...
- Radial shortening following a fracture of the proximal radius
Andrew D Duckworth
Edinburgh Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, UK
Acta Orthop 82:356-9. 2011
..We describe the range of radial shortening that occurs following a fracture of the proximal radius, as well as the short-term outcome in these patients.
- Absence of thumbs, A/hypoplasia of radius, hypoplasia of ulnae, retarded bone age, short stature, microcephaly, hypoplastic genitalia, and mental retardation
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Am J Med Genet 108:209-13. 2002
..Having excluded major differential diagnoses, e.g. Fanconi anemia, RAPADILINO syndrome and VACTERL association, we hypothesize that this boy represents a new multiple congenital anomaly/mental retardation (MCA/MR) syndrome...
- Deformity correction with the Taylor spatial frame after growth arrest of the distal radius: a technical note on 2 cases
Chirurgische Klinikund Poliklinik, Berufsgenossenschaftliches Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Germany
Acta Orthop 79:571-5. 2008
- Does a volar locking plate provide equivalent stability as a dorsal nonlocking plate in a dorsally comminuted distal radius fracture?: a biomechanical study
Department of Orthopaedics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Orthop Trauma 22:605-10. 2008
..to compare the fixation afforded by a dorsal nonlocking plate with a volar locking plate in a fracture model simulating an extra-articular distal radius fracture with dorsal comminution (OTA [Orthopaedic Trauma Association] type 23-A3.2).
- Congenital radius deficiency: radiographic outcome and survivorship analysis
M J Geck
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California Los Angeles, USA
J Hand Surg Am 24:1132-44. 1999
The experience with congenital radius deficiency, or radial hemimelia, at the Shriners' Hospital for Children, Los Angeles Unit, was reviewed...
- Gender-specific pubertal changes in volumetric cortical bone mineral density at the proximal radius
Children s Hospital, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Bone 31:110-3. 2002
..Our results therefore suggest that intracortical remodeling is lower in postpubertal females than in males...
- Association of larger holes in the trabecular bone at the distal radius in postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes mellitus compared to controls
Janet M Pritchard
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:83-91. 2012
..The study objective was to compare trabecular bone microarchitecture of postmenopausal women with type 2 DM and women without type 2 DM...
- Quantitative ultrasound of the tibia and radius in prepubertal and early-pubertal female athletes
Department of Physiology, Ribstein Center for Sport Medicine Sciences and Research, Wingate Institute, Netanya 42902, Israel
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:139-43. 2003
..Physical exercise during childhood has been shown to enhance bone mineral density, thus reducing the risk of osteoporosis...
- Maternal thrombocytopenia-absent radius syndrome complicated by severe pre-eclampsia
Joseph R Wax
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22:175-7. 2009
Thrombocytopenia-absent radius (TAR) syndrome affects 0.5-1/100,000 live births...
- Calcification of the intervertebral discs and curvature of the radius and ulna: a radiographic survey of Finnish miniature dachshunds
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Clinical Veterinary Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Acta Vet Scand 42:229-36. 2001
..The front legs were also radiographed in order to evaluate the curvature of the radius and ulna. Calcified discs were found in 75.9% of the longhaired miniature dachshunds and in 86...
- Assessment of volume fraction and fabric in the distal radius using HR-pQCT
Institute of Lightweight Design and Structural Biomechanics, Vienna University of Technology, Gusshausstrasse 27 29, A 1040 Vienna, Austria
Bone 45:909-17. 2009
..Four cadaveric human forearms were scanned with HR-pQCT and the dissected radius epiphyses with microCT...
- Cortical porosity is higher in boys compared with girls at the distal radius and distal tibia during pubertal growth: an HR-pQCT study
Kyle K Nishiyama
Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 27:273-82. 2012
..the sex- and maturity-related differences in bone microstructure and estimated bone strength at the distal radius and distal tibia in children and adolescents...
- Site specificity of bone architecture between the distal radius and distal tibia in children and adolescents: An HR-pQCT study
Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Calcif Tissue Int 87:314-23. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to compare bone architecture between distal radius and distal tibia...
- Radius neck-to-humerus trochlea transposition for elbow reconstruction after resection of the proximal ulna: report of 2 cases
Scott F M Duncan
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:1384-7. 2008
..The purpose of our report was to retrospectively review the outcome of the radius neck-to-humerus trochlea transposition after wide resection of malignant forearm tumors in 2 patients...