Genomes and Genes
Summary: These include the muscles of the DIAPHRAGM and the INTERCOSTAL MUSCLES.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Use of inspiratory strength training to wean six patients who were ventilator-dependentSamuel S Sprague
Phys Ther 83:171-81. 2003....
- American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement on pulmonary rehabilitationLinda Nici
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1390-413. 2006
- Effect of acute hypoxia on respiratory muscle fatigue in healthy humansSamuel Verges
HP2 laboratory INSERM ERI17, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble University Hospital, Grenoble, France
Respir Res 11:109. 2010..Hence, we assessed the effect of different blood oxygenation level on isolated hyperpnoea-induced inspiratory and expiratory muscle fatigue...
- A prospective study of decline in fat free mass and skeletal muscle strength in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNicholas S Hopkinson
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Royal Brompton Hospital, Fulham Rd, London SW3 6NP, UK
Respir Res 8:25. 2007..We therefore prospectively investigated the impact of disease severity, exacerbation frequency and treatment with corticosteroids on change in body composition and maximum isometric quadriceps strength (QMVC) over one year...
- The effects of 1 year of specific inspiratory muscle training in patients with COPDMarinella Beckerman
Department of Medicine A, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera, Israel
Chest 128:3177-82. 2005..We assessed the long-term benefits of inspiratory muscle training (IMT) on inspiratory muscle strength, exercise capacity, the perception of dyspnea, quality of life, primary care use, and hospitalizations in patients with significant COPD...
- Comparative assessment of the quadriceps and the diaphragm in patients with COPDMarc André Caron
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G5
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:952-61. 2009..Several studies have highlighted important structural and biochemical modifications in limb and respiratory muscles in COPD...
- +9/+9 Homozygosity of the bradykinin receptor gene polymorphism is associated with reduced fat-free mass in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNicholas S Hopkinson
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Royal Brompton Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6NP, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 83:912-7. 2006....
- Ubiquitination and proteolysis in limb and respiratory muscles of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseRichard Debigare
P T, Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, 2725, Chemin Ste Foy, PQ, G1V 4G5 Canada
Proc Am Thorac Soc 7:84-90. 2010..Based on this information, the reader should be able to understand the essential role of this pathway in the context of muscle homeostasis and to picture the coming research in this area...
- Inspiratory muscle training increases inspiratory muscle strength in patients weaning from mechanical ventilation: a systematic reviewLisa Moodie
Auckland District Health Board, New Zealand
J Physiother 57:213-21. 2011..Does inspiratory muscle training improve inspiratory muscle strength and endurance, facilitate weaning, improve survival, and reduce the rate of reintubation and tracheostomy in adults receiving mechanical ventilation?..
- Nutritional status is related to fat-free mass, exercise capacity and inspiratory strength in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patientsPollyane Galinari Sabino
Department of Physical Therapy, Londrina State University, Parana, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:599-605. 2010..This paradoxical relationship indicates that the influence of nutritional status on functional parameters should be further investigated...
- Patterns of expiratory and inspiratory activation for thoracic motoneurones in the anaesthetized and the decerebrate ratAnoushka T R de Almeida
Sobell Department, UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, London, UK
J Physiol 588:2707-29. 2010....
- Ventilator-induced diaphragmatic dysfunctionTheodoros Vassilakopoulos
Respiratory Division, McGill University Health Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 169:336-41. 2004
- Inspiratory muscle training in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: structural adaptation and physiologic outcomesAlba Ramirez-Sarmiento
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital del Mar Grup de Recerca de Pneumologia, Unitat de Recerca Respiratoria i Ambiental, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1491-7. 2002..No changes were observed in the control muscle. The study demonstrates that inspiratory training induces a specific functional improvement of the inspiratory muscles and adaptive changes in the structure of external intercostal muscles...
- Restoration of respiratory muscle function following spinal cord injury. Review of electrical and magnetic stimulation techniquesAnthony F DiMarco
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University, MetroHealth Medical Center, Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 147:273-87. 2005..These techniques hold promise to reduce the incidence of respiratory tract infections, atelectasis and respiratory failure in patients with spinal cord injury and reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with these complications...
- New reference values for maximal respiratory pressures in the Brazilian populationDirceu Costa
Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Federal University of Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 36:306-12. 2010..To compare MIP and MEP determined in healthy subjects with those predicted using the equations proposed in another study, and, if necessary, to suggest new equations for MIP and MEP to be used in the Brazilian population...
- Impact of pulmonary system limitations on locomotor muscle fatigue in patients with COPDMarkus Amann
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R314-24. 2010....
- Intercostal and abdominal respiratory motoneurons in the neonatal rat spinal cord: spatiotemporal organization and responses to limb afferent stimulationAurore Giraudin
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, UMR CNRS 5227, Laboratoire Mouvement Adaptation Cognition, Bâtiment 2A, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux, France
J Neurophysiol 99:2626-40. 2008....
- Multiple phases of excitation and inhibition in central respiratory drive potentials of thoracic motoneurones in the ratAnoushka T R de Almeida
Sobell Department, UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, London, UK
J Physiol 588:2731-44. 2010..They also provide new insights into the functional roles of inhibition in motoneurones physiologically activated in natural rhythmic behaviours...
- The effect of inspiratory muscles fatigue on postural control in people with and without recurrent low back painLotte Janssens
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Leuven K U Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, Leuven, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1088-94. 2010..A 2-group experimental design...
- Inspiratory muscle training in pulmonary rehabilitation program in COPD patientsRasmi Magadle
Department of Medicine A, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera 38100, Israel
Respir Med 101:1500-5. 2007..IMT provides additional benefits to patients undergoing PR program and is worthwhile even in patients who have already undergone a GER program...
- Postural and respiratory activation of the trunk muscles changes with mode and speed of locomotionSteven W Saunders
School of Physiotherapy, The University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Gait Posture 20:280-90. 2004..Furthermore, the pattern of recruitment of the trunk muscles and their respiratory and postural coordination is dependent on the speed and mode of locomotion...
- Respiratory muscle function and activation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDavid K McKenzie
Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital and University of New South Wales, Barker St, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:621-9. 2009..The improvement in exercise capacity and dyspnea following lung volume reduction surgery is associated with a substantial reduction in neural drive to the inspiratory muscles...
- The role of spinal manipulation, soft-tissue therapy, and exercise in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a review of the literature and proposal of an anatomical explanationRoger Engel
Department of Chiropractic, Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Altern Complement Med 17:797-801. 2011..Improvements in breathing mechanics reduce the work of the respiratory muscles and delay the onset of dyspnea...
- Respiratory muscle training in healthy humans: resolving the controversyA K McConnell
Department of Sport Sciences, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Int J Sports Med 25:284-93. 2004..Putative mechanisms include a delay of respiratory muscle fatigue, a redistribution of blood flow from respiratory to locomotor muscles, and a decrease in the perceptions of respiratory and limb discomfort...
- Effect of bronchoscopic lung volume reduction on dynamic hyperinflation and exercise in emphysemaNicholas S Hopkinson
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6NP, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:453-60. 2005..47; p = 0.03). Endobronchial valve placement can improve lung volumes and gas transfer in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and prolong exercise time by reducing dynamic hyperinflation...
- Determinants of weaning success in patients with prolonged mechanical ventilationAnnalisa Carlucci
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Fondazione S, Maugeri, IRCCS, Pavia 27100, Italy
Crit Care 13:R97. 2009..In this physiological study, we assessed the determinants of weaning success in patients acting as their own control, once they are eventually liberated from the ventilator...
- Inspiratory muscle strength training improves weaning outcome in failure to wean patients: a randomized trialA Daniel Martin
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, 1600 South West Archer Road, PO Box 100154, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Crit Care 15:R84. 2011..MV induced inspiratory muscle weakness has been implicated as a contributor to FTW and recent work has documented inspiratory muscle weakness in humans supported with MV...
- Consequences of exercise-induced respiratory muscle workJerome A Dempsey
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Population Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 151:242-50. 2006..Clinical implications for respiratory limitations to exercise in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD) and chronic heart failure (CHF) are discussed and key unresolved problems are outlined...
- Effects of chest physiotherapy on the respiratory function of postoperative gastroplasty patientsEli Forti
Postgraduate program in Physical Therapy, Federal University of Sao Carlos UFSCar, Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:683-9. 2009....
- Effects of respiratory muscle work on exercise performanceC A Harms
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Department Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:131-8. 2000....
- Corticospinal control of respiratory muscles in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNicholas S Hopkinson
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Royal Brompton Hospital, London SW3 6NP, UK
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 141:1-12. 2004..These results suggest that there is a ceiling effect in motor control output to the respiratory muscles of patients with COPD.
- Structure and function of the respiratory muscles in patients with COPD: impairment or adaptation?M Orozco-Levi
Muscle Research Unit, Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital del Mar, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, CEXS Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Carrer Dr Aiguader, 80 Barcelona, E 08003 Spain
Eur Respir J Suppl 46:41s-51s. 2003b>Respiratory muscles are essential to alveolar ventilation. These muscles work against increased mechanical loads due to airflow limitation and geometrical changes of the thorax derived from pulmonary hyperinflation...
- Nasal continuous positive airway pressure decreases respiratory muscles overload in young infants with severe acute viral bronchiolitisGilles Cambonie
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, CHU Montpellier, 34000 Montpellier, France
Intensive Care Med 34:1865-72. 2008..To determine the efficacy of nasal continuous positive airway pressure (nCPAP) on respiratory distress symptoms and respiratory effort in young infants with acute respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis...
- Respiratory muscle endurance training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: impact on exercise capacity, dyspnea, and quality of lifeT A Scherer
Department of Internal Medicine, Triemli Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:1709-14. 2000..In conclusion, home-based respiratory muscle endurance training with the new device used in this study is feasible and has beneficial effects in subjects with COPD and ventilatory limitation...
- Consequences of the combined deficiency in dystrophin and utrophin on the mechanical properties and myosin composition of some limb and respiratory muscles of the mouseN Deconinck
Department de Physiologie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Bruxelles, Belgium
Neuromuscul Disord 8:362-70. 1998..Moreover these results bring some support to the idea that the expression of utrophin in mdx muscle compensates, to some extent, for the lack of dystrophin...
- Chronic respiratory failure in patients with neuromuscular diseases: diagnosis and treatmentIlma Aparecida Paschoal
Pulmonology Department, State University at Campinas, School of Medical Sciences, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 33:81-92. 2007..Moreover, the maneuvers used to increase cough efficiency, as well as the proper timing of their introduction, are discussed...
- Efficacy of nutritional supplementation therapy in depleted patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEva C Creutzberg
Department of Pulmonology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Nutrition 19:120-7. 2003..Maintenance systemic glucocorticosteroids, prescribed in a substantial number of patients, further contribute to muscle weakness. We investigated the efficacy of oral nutritional supplementation therapy in depleted patients with COPD...
- Inspiratory muscle strength in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease depending on disease severityHans Joachim Kabitz
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Clin Sci (Lond) 113:243-9. 2007..57; P<0.001). Inspiratory muscle strength, as reliably assessed by TwPmo, decreased with increasing severity of COPD and should be considered as an important factor in rating disease severity and to reflect burden in COPD...
- Maintenance of inspiratory muscle training in COPD patients: one year follow-upP Weiner
Dept of Medicine A, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera, Israel
Eur Respir J 23:61-5. 2004..The benefits of 12-weeks of inspiratory muscle training decline gradually over 1 yr of follow-up if maintenance training is not performed...
- Using an evidence-based protocol to guide rehabilitation and weaning of ventilator-dependent cervical spinal cord injury patientsCharles J Gutierrez
Department of Respirator, Care and Diagnostic Services, Spinal Cord Injury Disorder Service, Spinal Cord Injury, Center, James A Haley Veterans Hospital, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 40:99-110. 2003....
- [The effect of hyperinflation on respiratory muscles and breathing pattern in COPD]Oznur Akkoca
Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases, Ankara, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 51:244-52. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of hyperinflation on respiratory muscles, gas transfer and breathing pattern and compare the differences between mild and severe COPD...
- Effects of respiratory muscle training versus placebo on endurance exercise performanceD A Sonetti
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 504 N. Walnut Street, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Respir Physiol 127:185-99. 2001..Significant placebo and test familiarization effects must be accounted for in experimental designs utilizing performance tests which are critically dependent on volitional effort...
- Adenotonsillectomy improves the strength of respiratory muscles in children with upper airway obstructionMelissa Guerato Pires Banzatto
University of Sao Paulo, School of Medicine, Brazil
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:860-3. 2010..Children were evaluated in 3 different moments: 1 week before and 3 and 6 months after surgery...
- Respiratory muscle endurance training in obese patientsJ C Villiot-Danger
HP2 Laboratory, INSERM ERI17, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:692-9. 2011..We evaluated the effect of respiratory muscle endurance training (RMET) on respiratory muscle capacities, symptoms and exercise capacity in obese patients...
- Coordination between breathing and forearm movements during sinusoidal trackingD Ebert
Carl Ludwig Institute of Physiology, University of Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 27, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 81:288-96. 2000..The frequency of coordination between breathing and rhythmical tracking movements depends critically upon the movement rate...
- Respiratory parameters during professional flute playingI Cossette
Meakins Christie Laboratories, McGill University, 3626 rue St Urbain, Quebec, H2X 2PZ, Montreal, Canada
Respir Physiol 121:33-44. 2000We studied three professional flautists while playing to determine: (1) what respiratory muscles and percent vital capacity (%VC) were used; (2) how mouth pressure (Pm), embouchure resistance (Rem), embouchure aperture (Aem), flow (V) ..
- Drive to the human respiratory musclesJane E Butler
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 159:115-26. 2007The motor control of the respiratory muscles differs in some ways from that of the limb muscles...
- Experimental approaches to the study of the mechanics of breathing during exercisePaolo B Dominelli
School of Kinesiology, The University of British Columbia, 6108 Thunderbird Blvd, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 180:147-61. 2012..Finally, recent technological advancements that contribute to the understanding of respiratory mechanics are explained...
- Impact of obesity on exercise performance and pulmonary rehabilitationMichael Dreher
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital, Freiburg, Germany
Respirology 17:899-907. 2012..Otherwise, there are no conclusive data on the impact of obesity on PR in respiratory disorders other than COPD, and this remains to be investigated in the future...
- Lower thoracic spinal cord stimulation to restore cough in patients with spinal cord injury: results of a National Institutes of Health-sponsored clinical trial. Part I: methodology and effectiveness of expiratory muscle activationAnthony F DiMarco
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:717-25. 2009..Evaluation of the capacity of lower thoracic spinal cord stimulation (SCS) to activate the expiratory muscles and generate large airway pressures and high peak airflows characteristic of cough, in subjects with tetraplegia...
- Does using pressure-controlled ventilation to rest respiratory muscles improve sleep in ICU patients?Claire Andrejak
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sud, Amiens, France
Respir Med 107:534-41. 2013..Ventilatory mode may impact on quality of sleep. The aim of our study was to evaluate the effect on sleep of pressure-controlled ventilation (PCV) to spontaneous ventilation with 6 cm H2O inspiratory pressure (low-PSV)...
- Respiratory muscle unloading improves leg muscle oxygenation during exercise in patients with COPDA Borghi-Silva
Pulmonary Function and Clinical Exercise Physiology Unit, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thorax 63:910-5. 2008..Respiratory muscle unloading during exercise could improve locomotor muscle oxygenation by increasing oxygen delivery (higher cardiac output and/or arterial oxygen content) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Comparison of respiratory muscle training methods in individuals with motor and sensory complete tetraplegia: a randomized controlled trialGabi Mueller
Clinical Trial Unit, Swiss Paraplegic Center, CH 6207 Nottwil, Switzerland
J Rehabil Med 45:248-53. 2013..To compare the effects of inspiratory resistance training and isocapnic hyperpnoea vs incentive spirometry (placebo) on respiratory function, voice, thorax mobility and quality of life in individuals with tetraplegia...
- Neuromuscular ultrasound for evaluation of the diaphragmAarti Sarwal
Department of Neurology, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Reynolds M, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Muscle Nerve 47:319-29. 2013..In this study we review different techniques for assessing the diaphragm using neuromuscular ultrasound and the application of these techniques to enhance diagnosis and prognosis by neuromuscular clinicians...
- Non-invasive assessment of respiratory muscle strength in patients with previous poliomyelitisMohamed Gouda Soliman
Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, St Thomas Hospital, Lane Fox Unit, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Respir Med 99:1217-22. 2005..Some patients continue to require long-term nocturnal ventilatory support; others are weaned but subsequently require support because of a late deterioration in ventilatory function...
- Respiratory muscle fatigue following exercise in patients with interstitial lung diseaseDavide Elia
NIHR Respiratory Biomedical Research Unit at Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust and Imperial College, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Respiration 85:220-7. 2013..It is not known whether respiratory muscle fatigue occurs as a consequence of exercise in patients with interstitial lung disease (ILD) and, if so, to what extent it is related to changes in dynamic lung volumes...
- Respiratory muscle training in healthy individuals: physiological rationale and implications for exercise performanceA William Sheel
School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada bill sheel ubc ca
Sports Med 32:567-81. 2002..suggest that specific respiratory muscle (RM) training can improve the endurance and strength of the respiratory muscles in healthy humans. The effects of RM training on exercise performance remains controversial...
- Specific respiratory warm-up improves rowing performance and exertional dyspneaS Volianitis
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1189-93. 2001..The purpose of this study was a) to compare the effect of three different warm-up protocols upon rowing performance and perception of dyspnea, and b) to identify the functional significance of a respiratory warm-up...
- The effect of inspiratory and expiratory respiratory muscle training in rowersS Forbes
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Res Sports Med 19:217-30. 2011..The experimental group trained respiratory muscles using a device that provided both an inspiratory and expiratory resistance while the control group used a ..
- Phasic motor activity of respiratory and non-respiratory muscles in REM sleepJimmy J Fraigne
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, Department of Cell Physiology and Molecular Biophysics, Lubbock TX, USA
Sleep 34:425-34. 2011In this study, we quantified the profiles of phasic activity in respiratory muscles (diaphragm, genioglossus and external intercostal) and non-respiratory muscles (neck and extensor digitorum) across REM sleep...
- The gross morphology and histochemistry of respiratory muscles in bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatusPamela B Cotten
Department of Biology and Marine Biology, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina 28403, USA
J Morphol 269:1520-38. 2008..These combined results suggest that dolphins utilize muscles, similar to those used by galloping mammals, to power their explosive ventilation...
- Effect of respiratory muscle training on exercise performance in healthy individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysisSabine K Illi
Exercise Physiology, Institute of Human Movement Sciences, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Sports Med 42:707-24. 2012..We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis in order to determine the factors that affect the change in endurance performance after RMT in healthy subjects...
- Integrated approach for in vivo evaluation of respiratory muscles mechanicsAnat Ratnovsky
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
J Biomech 36:1771-84. 2003The respiratory muscles constitute the respiratory pump, which determines the efficacy of ventilation. Any functional disorder in their performance may cause insufficient ventilation...
- High-intensity inspiratory muscle training in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and severely reduced functionM K Covey
University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, 845 South Damen Avenue, Chicago, IL, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 21:231-40. 2001..This study examined the effects of inspiratory muscle training (IMT) with high-intensity inspiratory pressure loads on respiratory muscle performance and exertional dyspnea...
- The respiratory muscles in eucapnic obesity: their role in dyspneaGiorgio Scano
Fondazione Don C Gnocchi, Pozzolatico, Florence, Italy
Respir Med 103:1276-85. 2009..That a decrease in efficiency of the respiratory muscles during exercise contributes to dyspnea in hyperinflating obese subjects should not be disregarded.
- High-intensity inspiratory muscle training in COPDK Hill
Dept of Pulmonary Physiology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Avenue, Nedlands, Western Australia, 6009 Australia
Eur Respir J 27:1119-28. 2006..In conclusion, high-intensity inspiratory muscle training improves inspiratory muscle function in subjects with moderate-to-severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, yielding meaningful reductions in dyspnoea and fatigue...
- Expression of myosin heavy-chain isoforms in the respiratory muscles following inspiratory resistive breathingJ Gea
Centre de Recherche du CHUM, Université de Montréal and Meakins Christie Laboratories, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:1274-8. 2000..IRB) on the expression of the genes encoding fast and slow isoforms of myosin heavy chain (MyHC) in respiratory muscles. Eleven mongrel dogs were studied for baseline MyHC messenger RNA (mRNA) expression, seven of which were ..
- Respiratory disturbance to posture varies according to the respiratory modeAlain Hamaoui
Laboratory of Posture and Movement Physiology, University JF Champollion, Rodez, France LAPMA, University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
Neurosci Lett 475:141-4. 2010..It was concluded that respiratory kinematics have a more prominent disturbing effect on posture when they involve the rib cage rather than the abdomen...
- Mechanics of respiratory musclesAnat Ratnovsky
Department of Medical Engineering, Afeka College of Engineering, Tel Aviv 69107, Israel
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 163:82-9. 2008Lung ventilation is a mechanical process in which the respiratory muscles are acting in concert to remove air in and out of the lungs...
- Effects of inspiratory muscle training on time-trial performance in trained cyclistsLee M Romer
The Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
J Sports Sci 20:547-62. 2002..Furthermore, they provide evidence of performance enhancements in competitive cyclists after inspiratory muscle training...
- Inspiratory muscle training in patients with COPD: effect on dyspnea, exercise performance, and quality of lifeH Sánchez Riera
Pneumology Service, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Sevilla, Spain
Chest 120:748-56. 2001..The aim of the study was to assess the effect of target-flow inspiratory muscle training (IMT) on respiratory muscle function, exercise performance, dyspnea, and health-related quality of life (HRQL) in patients with COPD...
- Muscular patterns and activation levels of auxiliary breathing muscles and thorax movement in classical singingViggo Pettersen
Department of Music and Dance, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway
Folia Phoniatr Logop 57:255-77. 2005..Substantial muscle activity is observed in PN during inhalation and phonation. EMG biofeedback performed on TR and STM have a secondary effect of lowering EMG activity in PN...
- Abdominal volume contribution to tidal volume as an early indicator of respiratory impairment in Duchenne muscular dystrophyA Lo Mauro
TBM Lab, Dipartimento di Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy
Eur Respir J 35:1118-25. 2010..DeltaV(AB) is not only an important marker of the progression of the disease but is also an early indicator of nocturnal hypoxaemia...
- Respiratory muscles, exercise performance, and health in overweight and obese subjectsIrene Frank
Exercise Physiology, Institute of Human Movement Sciences, ETH Zurich, and Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:714-27. 2011..We hypothesized that RMET 1 month before and during a 6-month (3 months supervised + 3 months unsupervised) exercise and nutrition counseling program (EN) would improve the benefits of EN...
- Lung and respiratory muscle function in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophyJoerg Patrick Stübgen
Department of Neurology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Muscle Nerve 39:729-34. 2009..It is probably not necessary to routinely monitor respiratory muscle function in ambulant FSHD patients who lack symptoms or signs of respiratory impairment...
- Differential activation among five human inspiratory motoneuron pools during tidal breathingJulian P Saboisky
Prince of Wales Medical Research Inst and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Appl Physiol 102:772-80. 2007..05). There was a unimodal distribution of recruitment times of motor units in all muscles. Neural drive to human inspiratory pump muscles differs in timing, strength, and distribution, presumably to achieve efficient ventilation...
- Breathing more with weaker respiratory muscles in pulmonary arterial hypertensionR Naeije
Eur Respir J 25:6-8. 2005
- Inspiratory strengthening effect on resistive load detection and magnitude estimationB A Kellerman
Departments of Physical Therapy and Physiological Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:1859-67. 2000..This study investigated effects of inspiratory muscle training (IMT) on maximal inspiratory pressure (MIP), magnitude estimation (ME), and load detection (LD) of external resistive loads (deltaR) in healthy subjects...
- Fatiguing inspiratory muscle work causes reflex reduction in resting leg blood flow in humansA W Sheel
Department of Population Health Sciences, John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
J Physiol 537:277-89. 2001..Q(L) and increases in LVR. We attribute these changes to a metaboreflex originating in the diaphragm. Diaphragm and forearm muscle fatigue showed very similar time-dependent effects on LVR and .Q(L)...
- Muscle fibre type shifting in the vastus lateralis of patients with COPD is associated with disease severity: a systematic review and meta-analysisHarry R Gosker
Department of Respiratory Medicine, NUTRIM, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thorax 62:944-9. 2007..A study was conducted to determine whether vastus lateralis muscle fibre type proportions are associated with COPD disease severity and to provide reference values for the proportions of fibre types in the vastus lateralis in COPD...
- Breathlessness, fatigue and the respiratory musclesJohn Mioxham
King s College London School of Medicine
Clin Med 9:448-52. 2009..underlying the symptom can be gained by considering the balance between the load on, and capacity of, the respiratory muscles and increased neural respiratory drive, reflecting increased respiratory effort...
- Pre-operative inspiratory muscle training preserves postoperative inspiratory muscle strength following major abdominal surgery - a randomised pilot studyS R Kulkarni
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Cheltenham General Hospital, Cheltenham GL53 7AN, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:700-7. 2010..The aim of this pilot study was to assess the effect of pre-operative inspiratory muscle training (IMT) on respiratory variables in patients undergoing major abdominal surgery...
- Impact of obstructive apnea syndrome on upper airway respiratory musclesEva Svanborg
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, University Hospital, 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 147:263-72. 2005..This supports the hypothesis that progression from habitual snoring to the clinical disease of OSAS could be attributed to peripheral neurogenic lesions...
- Abnormal mitochondrial function in locomotor and respiratory muscles of COPD patientsL Puente-Maestu
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Eur Respir J 33:1045-52. 2009Several cellular and molecular alterations have been described in skeletal and respiratory muscles of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but information on potential abnormalities of mitochondrial function is ..
- Role of the respiratory muscles in acute respiratory failure of COPD: lessons from weaning failureMartin J Tobin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, Hines, Illinois 60141, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:962-70. 2009..Although the disease originates within the lung parenchyma, much of the distress faced by patients with COPD, especially during acute respiratory failure, is caused by the burdens imposed on the respiratory muscles.
- Measuring inspiratory muscle strength in neuromuscular disease: one test or two?N Terzi
Intensive Care Unit, Dept of Physiology Functional Testing and Centre for Technological Innovation, Raymond Poincaré Teaching Hospital, Garches, France
Eur Respir J 31:93-8. 2008..However, when sniff nasal inspiratory pressure measurement yields the best value at baseline, using sniff nasal inspiratory pressure alone during follow-up may be appropriate...
- Arm work interferes with normal ventilationFrank J Cerny
Department of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, University at Buffalo, 410 Kimball Tower, NY 14214, USA
Appl Ergon 35:411-5. 2004Arm work, by limiting movement of the chest wall and use of the respiratory muscles, may alter breathing pattern and gas exchange sufficiently to interfere with the ability to perform certain tasks...
- Control of breathing in mechanically ventilated patientsD Georgopoulos
Pulmonary and Critical Care Dept General Hospital G Papanicolaou, University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur Respir J 9:2151-60. 1996..the respiratory system is under the influence of two pumps, the ventilator pump and the patient's own respiratory muscles. Depending on the mode of mechanical ventilatory support, ventilation may be totally controlled by the ..
- Effects of respiratory muscle work on cardiac output and its distribution during maximal exerciseC A Harms
Department of Preventive Medicine, John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 85:609-18. 1998..exercise has two significant effects on the cardiovascular system: 1) up to 14-16% of the CO is directed to the respiratory muscles; and 2) local reflex vasoconstriction significantly compromises blood flow to leg locomotor muscles.
- Respiratory muscle training increases cycling endurance without affecting cardiovascular responses to exerciseG Markov
Institute for Human Movement Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr. 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 85:233-9. 2001..It is concluded that the increased cycling endurance that is observed after RMT is not due to cardiovascular adaptations, and that the results provide evidence for the role of the respiratory system as an exercise-limiting factor...
- Diaphragmatic fatigue during sepsis and septic shockSophie Lanone
INSERM U 700 and IFR 02, Faculte Xavier Bichat, 16 rue Henri Huchard, 75018, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 31:1611-7. 2005
- Respiratory muscle fibres: specialisation and plasticityB Polla
Hospital S Biagio, Department of Pneumology, Alessandria, Italy
Thorax 59:808-17. 2004..The properties of respiratory muscle fibres can also be modified by pharmacological agents such as beta2 agonists and corticosteroids used for the treatment of respiratory diseases...
- Response of the respiratory muscles to rehabilitation in COPDMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University Hospital, University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:971-6. 2009..Eight randomized studies examined the effects of the combination. Greater improvements in exercise capacity were only found in three studies, and none showed a greater reduction in dyspnea...
- [Clinical consequences of muscle dysfunction in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]J Sauleda Roig
Servei Pneumologia Hospital Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca
Nutr Hosp 21:69-75. 2006The function of respiratory muscles, and mainly inspiratory muscles, is impaired in COPD patients. Most of these impairments are essentially due to pulmonary hyperinflation that puts these muscles in a disadvantageous situation...
- Gene expression microarrays and respiratory musclesErik van Lunteren
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Cleveland VA Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 156:103-15. 2007....
- Prevalence of reduced respiratory muscle strength in institutionalized elderly peopleRodrigo Polaquini Simões
Postgraduate Program on Physiotherapy, Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy Laboratory, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 127:78-83. 2009....
- Mechanisms of improvement of respiratory failure in patients with restrictive thoracic disease treated with non-invasive ventilationA H Nickol
Osler Chest Unit, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX4 7LJ, UK
Thorax 60:754-60. 2005..We hypothesised that NIV may reverse respiratory failure by increasing the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide, reducing inspiratory muscle fatigue, or enhancing pulmonary mechanics...
- Long-term reduction of hyperinflation in stable COPD by non-invasive nocturnal home ventilationStephan Budweiser
Fachklinik für Erkrankungen der Atmungsorgane, Donaustauf, Germany
Respir Med 99:976-84. 2005..The role of non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV) in stable COPD with chronic ventilatory failure remains controversial. The impact of long-term home nocturnal NPPV treatment on deflation has not yet been evaluated in detail...
- Effects of respiratory muscle unloading on exercise-induced diaphragm fatigueMark A Babcock
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706 2368, USA
J Appl Physiol 93:201-6. 2002..In this study, we use positive-pressure proportional assist ventilation (PAV) to unload the respiratory muscles during exercise to determine the effects of respiratory muscle work, per se, on exercise-induced ..
- The Italian multicentre study on noninvasive ventilation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patientsE Clini
Division of Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Fondazione Villa Pineta ONLUS, Pavullo MO, Italy
Eur Respir J 20:529-38. 2002..Further work is required to evaluate the effect of noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation on reducing the frequency and severity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbation...
- Impact of expiratory trigger setting on delayed cycling and inspiratory muscle workloadDidier Tassaux
Medical Intensive Care, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1283-9. 2005..In obstructive disease, the slower rise and decrease of inspiratory flow entails delayed cycling, an increase in intrinsic positive end-expiratory pressure, and nontriggering breaths...
- MECHANICAL VENTILATION AND RESPIRATORY MUSCLESScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of our experiments is to provide the knowledge required to develop clinical strategies to oppose the deleterious effects of MV on respiratory muscles.
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Pharmacological strategies to improve breathing after cervical spinal cord injuryFRANCIS GOLDER; Fiscal Year: 2009..injury causes life-threatening respiratory failure by decreasing function of the neural cells that control respiratory muscles, the respiratory motoneurons...
- Respiratory motor control and blood pressure regulation after spinal cord injuryALEXANDER VLADIMIROVICH OVECHKIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..common impediment to rehabilitation after SCI is respiratory insufficiency due to paresis and paralysis of respiratory muscles. Physiologically, these respiratory and cardiovascular dysfunctions are closely related...
- Planning a Multicenter Trial of PDE5A Inhibition for Duchenne Muscular DystrophyRonald G Victor; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- CRCNS: Computation-Enabled Adaptive Ventilatory Control SystemRanu Jung; Fiscal Year: 2013..More recently, intramuscular stimulation of multiple respiratory muscles has been proposed as a viable less surgically invasive approach, in particular for people with insufficient ..
- Control of Breathing and Pompe DiseaseDavid D Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2013..in Pompe disease is that brainstem neurons and spinal cord motoneurons fail to adequately control the respiratory muscles. This renewal application targets optimization of adeno-associated virus (AAV) based therapies to treat ..
- Mechanisms of Respiratory Muscle Dysfunction in Heart FailureLEONARDO FERREIRA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2. To define SMase as a mediator of diaphragm muscle dysfunction in CHF. Aim 3: To test the role of NAD(P)H oxidase on diaphragm muscle dysfunction of CHF mice. ..
- Physiology of Respiratory Muscle MicromechanicsALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2009..The completion of these aims will significantly contribute to the fundamental understanding of mechanical signal transduction in the respiratory pump. ..
- Therapeutic Development for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in a Canine ModelJOAN RIPLEY COATES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients die in 3-5 years secondary to failure of respiratory muscles. There are no effective therapies for ALS...
- Respiratory Muscle Weakness in Chronic InflammationFrancisco H Andrade; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this project is to identify new therapies that preserve respiratory muscle function in order to lessen illness and prolong life. ..
- Effect of Satellite Cell Ablation on the Aging DiaphragmEsther E Dupont-Versteegden; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, age-related dysfunction of the respiratory muscles has an even greater impact on quality of life: impairment of the aging diaphragm disrupts a number of ..
- Antidote for botulismDAVID OWEN BEENHOUWER; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is currently no treatment available that reverses BoNT-induced paralysis. The ultimate goal of these studies is to generate an effective antidote to BoNT/A intoxication. ..
- Mechanical ventilation, oxidative stress, and diaphragmatic atrophyScott K Powers; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our long-term goal is to develop methods for the prevention of MV-induced diaphragmatic weakness based on an understanding of the cellular mechanisms responsible for MV-induced diaphragmatic atrophy and contractile dysfunction. ..
- Mechanisms of Mutant SOD 1-Mediated Mitochondria Toxicity in the Spinal Cord of ADavide Trotti; Fiscal Year: 2012..This leads to spasticity, hyper-reflexia, general weakness and muscle atrophy. Failure of respiratory muscles is generally the fatal event, occurring within 1 - 5 years after the onset of the first symptoms...
- VESTIBULAR REGULATION OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLE ACTIVITYBill J Yates; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Evaluation and Treatment of Skeletal Muscle Weakness in Critically Ill PatientsGERALD SUPINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Novel therapeutic approaches to treatment of botulinum neurotoxin poisoningEric A Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our current methods can produce sufficient quantities for in vitro and in vivo testing. These ABTs can be administered in a post-exposure setting by oral or inhalational routes. ..
- RNAi Therapy for Dominant Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 1AScott Q Harper; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose that reducing mutant myotilin in muscles will improve muscular dystrophy in LGMD1A patients. In this proposal, we will investigate a strategy to reduce mutant myotilin using gene therapy. ..
- Pilot Placebo-Controlled Trial of Early Noninvasive Ventilation for ALSKirsten L Gruis; Fiscal Year: 2011..The proposed research and educational experience will develop the candidate into an independent researcher well prepared to make fundamental contributions to ALS research in the future. ..
- Spinal and brainstem respiratory neurons in Pompe diseaseDavid D Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work is a collaborative effort between a respiratory control scientist (Fuller), an AAV specialist and clinician working with Pompe patients (Byrne), and an AAV specialist with expertise in stereotaxic delivery (Mandel). ..
- The Multimodal Rehabilitation of Older Ventilated Survivors Of Critical IllnessAvelino Catalino Verceles; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms and therapies for respiratory muscle failureAhlke Heydemann; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also hypothesize that TGF2-mediated fibrosis and resultant scar tissue functionally impedes diaphragm muscle function in muscular dystrophy and other pulmonary diseases. ..
- Treatment of Skeletal Muscle Dysfunction in ICU PatientsGerald S Supinski; Fiscal Year: 2013..These data support our hypotheses and suggest that the proposed studies are likely to define a new treatment that will have an important impact on the care of critically ill patients. ..
- Passive stretch of the chest wall in patients with Congential Muscular DystrophyRaouf S Amin; Fiscal Year: 2013..5. The results of this application will pave the way for the development of a future randomized control trial of daily passive stretch of the chest wall through lung hyperinsuflation in patients with neuromuscular disorders. ..
- Respiratory muscle work and oxidative stress in COPD: impact on leg blood flow anMarkus Amann; Fiscal Year: 2011..It is anticipated that this improvement in the rehabilitation process will prevent the deterioration of muscle function which is currently prevalent in the sedentary COPD population. ..
- Associations between laryngeal and cough dysfunction in bulbar amyotrophic lateraDeanna Britton; Fiscal Year: 2012..For those with limb involvement, cough dysfunction occurs due to weakened respiratory muscles. Although cough dysfunction in those with bulbar involvement is not well understood, it is recognized that ..
- Gene therapy in canine myotubular myopathy for clinical translationMartin K Childers; Fiscal Year: 2013..suffice to sustain long-term functionality of striated muscles throughout the body, including the vital respiratory muscles. We propose to utilize the canine system to test this hypothesis and to optimize vector selection (Aim 1) ..
- Reducing Dynamic Hyperinflation through Breathing RetrainingEileen G Collins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Multiple regression analysis will be employed to determine the predictors of improved exercise performance. ..
- Work of Breathing and Oxidative Stress in COPD: Impact on Blood Flow and FatigueMarkus Amann; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is anticipated that this improvement in the rehabilitation process will prevent the deterioration of muscle function which is currently prevalent in the sedentary COPD population. ..
- New Directions in Biology and Disease of Skeletal MuscleElizabeth M McNally; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Respiratory Muscle Dysfunction in Heart FailureLEONARDO FERREIRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..heart failure due to, for example, heart attack or long history of high blood pressure have weakness of the respiratory muscles that contribute to shortness of breath...
- Plasticity and Repair in the Phrenic Motor SystemPaul J Reier; Fiscal Year: 2013..gray matter contributions to other SCI-related functional outcomes. ..
- Gene Therapy for Cardiac and Skeletal MyopathiesDarin J Falk; Fiscal Year: 2011..Aside from its relevance to patients with Pompe disease, this work will have a profound impact by offering a novel therapeutic option to patients who present alternative cardiovascular and skeletal muscle disease. ..
- MICROMECHANICS OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLESALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 1999The respiratory muscles are a major determinant of thoracic cavity shape and; therefore, of the regional ventilation distribution. Respiratory insufficiency is the cause of death in many primary neuromuscular disorders...
- Mechanisms of Swallow Control of BreathingKENDALL FRANCIS MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..and activation of convergent neural elements in sCPG and rCPGs that control upper airway, pharyngeal and respiratory muscles. The sCPG must reconfigure the respiratory neural network because many of the muscles used for control of ..
- Pulmonary Biomarkers of Inflammation in Chronic TetraplegiaMiroslav Radulovic; Fiscal Year: 2009Persons with tetraplegia exhibit pulmonary dysfunction attributed to paralysis of respiratory muscles leading to inadequate ventilation and inability to clear secretions, predisposing this population to be more susceptible to repeated ..
- Mu Opioid Receptor Regulation in Neonatal BrainstemGEORGE OLSEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..site for these effects is the nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS), which integrates sensory signals and drives respiratory muscles. Profound disturbance of neonatal breathing is a well-documented consequence of maternal opioid abuse...
- NURSING MODEL--RESPIRATORY MUSCLE STRENGTH IN COPDJanet Larson; Fiscal Year: 2001..The first four variables will be measured after recovery from each exacerbation/RTI. Data will be analyzed with descriptive statistics and repeated measures ANOVA. ..
- RESPIRATORY PUMP FAILURE--APPLIED PHYSIOLOGYRolf Hubmayr; Fiscal Year: 1992..diaphragm fatigue, and b) diaphragm fatigue results from an imbalance between the mechanical load on the respiratory muscles and their endurance. Three studies are presented...
- HISTOINCOMPATIBLE MYOBLAST INJECTION AGAINST DYSTROPHYPeter Law; Fiscal Year: 1992..Appropriate control experiments will be conducted. Results from this project will be compared with those obtained from implantation of histocompatible GPI-ICC myoblasts/fibroblasts...
- DIAPHRAGM ADAPTATIONS TO CHRONIC RESISTIVE LOADINGDavid Prezant; Fiscal Year: 2001..Do prior adaptations make the diaphragm more or less susceptible to exercise-induced muscle injury? ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION: The respiratory muscles are a major determinant of thoracic cavity shape and thus the distribution of regional ventilation. Respiratory insufficiency is the usual cause of death in many primary neuromuscular disorders...
- Drug-Induced Motor Recovery After Spinal Cord InjuryKwaku Nantwi; Fiscal Year: 2005..and subsequent pharmacologic activation of latent respiratory motor pathways to restore function to respiratory muscles paralyzed by spinal cord injury...
- RESPIRATORY CONSEQUENCES OF OPIATESTEODORO SANTIAGO; Fiscal Year: 1992..suggested that opioid elaboration in this setting relieves dyspnea and possibly postpones fatigue of the respiratory muscles. In the proposed studies, the mechanisms by which opiates and opioids modulate breathing during conditions ..
- NEURAL CONTROL RESPIRATORY MUSCLES DURING EXPIRATIONErik van Lunteren; Fiscal Year: 1991Active control of expiratory airflow by the respiratory muscles influences gas exchange, the degree of emptying of the lungs, and the work of breathing; may help optimize inspiratory muscle function; and is important during coughing and ..
- FREE RADICALS AND RESPIRATORY LOADINGGERALD SUPINSKI; Fiscal Year: 1999..Objective I experiments will examine the respiratory muscles following various regimens of chronic loading for evidence of free radical elaboration, lipid peroxidation ..
- Does sleep apnea exacerbate respiratory muscle dysfunction in muscular dystrophy?GASPAR FARKAS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Dystrophin-deficient muscles are more susceptible than normal to a variety of stresses. The respiratory muscles are critical for survival and their failure is a leading cause of death in DMD...
- NEURAL INHIBITION AND REM SLEEP DISORDERED BREATHINGJoan Hendricks; Fiscal Year: 1992..Lesions in this area can abolish muscle inhibition and, we propose, relieve SDB by increasing the drive for respiratory muscles during REMS...
- RESPIRATORY MUSCLE FUNCTION IN HEALTH AND DISEASESteven Kelsen; Fiscal Year: 1991Chronic obstructuve lung disease (COPD) alters the length and alignment of the respiratory muscles and causes generalized body wasting...
- NEUROMUSCULAR TARGETS OF BOTULINUM TOXINJULIE COFFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF LARYNGEAL CONTROLCharles Larson; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- RESPIRATORY MUSCLES DURING DEVELOPMENTGary Sieck; Fiscal Year: 2001..With shortening contractions, the increase in actomyosin ATPase activity varies across fiber types, reflecting differences in the impact of active shortening on alpha-fs and g-app. ..
- Neural control of noninvasive ventilation in the pretermMichael Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RESPIRATORY MUSCLE ENERGETICS DURING EXERCISEMurli Manohar; Fiscal Year: 1992..exercise have focussed our attention on the question "whether the metabolic O2 requirements of the respiratory muscles are sufficient to limit VO2max and exercise capacity of the locomotor muscles?" As yet only limited ..
- AUTONOMIC REGULATION OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLE & SECRETIONAlan Leff; Fiscal Year: 1992..Data derived from these studies will suggest approaches for therapeutic interventions in asthma and obstructive airways disease in humans...
- RESPIRATORY AFFERENT PROJECTIONS TO THE CEREBRAL CORTEXPaul Davenport; Fiscal Year: 1991..Determination of the projection and processing of respiratory muscle afferents by higher brain centers provides a basis for continued study of the mechanism of respiratory sensation...
- Identification of Botulinum Toxin Membrane TargetsJULIE COFFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DIAPHRAGM ADAPTATIONS TO RESPIRATORY TRAININGDavid Prezant; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLESJeffrey Boone Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Lay summary: Our work will evaluate a therapeutic strategy for specific neuromuscular diseases. These diseases are highly debilitating and currently have poor treatment options. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL CONTROL OF THE DIAPHRAGM AND UPPER AIRWAYSWilliam Cameron; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- DYSRHYTHMIAS OF THE RESPIRATORY OSCILLATORDavid Paydarfar; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract): Breathing is controlled by a central neural oscillator that produces rhythmic output to the respiratory muscles. Pathological disturbances in rhythm (dysrhythmias) are commonly observed in clinical practice...
- Respiratory Function and Illness in Spinal Cord InjuryEric Garshick; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SCOR IN CARDIOPULMONARY DISORDERS DURING SLEEPJerome Dempsey; Fiscal Year: 1992..to patients with neuromuscular weakness and chronic lung disease as a means of intermittently "resting" respiratory muscles. Finally, our single largest undertaking brings an epidemiologic focus to the problem of cardiopulmonary ..