Genomes and Genes
Summary: A long flat muscle that extends along the whole length of both sides of the abdomen. It flexes the vertebral column, particularly the lumbar portion; it also tenses the anterior abdominal wall and assists in compressing the abdominal contents. It is frequently the site of hematomas. In reconstructive surgery it is often used for the creation of myocutaneous flaps. (From Gray's Anatomy, 30th American ed, p491)
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Fat necrosis in free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous and deep inferior epigastric perforator flapsS S Kroll
Department of Plastic Surgery at The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:576-83. 2000A series of 310 breasts reconstructed by a single surgeon using free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) and deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) flaps was reviewed to see if there were any differences in the incidence ..
- Transfusion requirements for TRAM flap postmastectomy breast reconstructionArgyrios Tzilinis
Department of Surgery, Mercy Catholic Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 50:623-7. 2003The transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap is a commonly used method for autologous tissue postmastectomy breast reconstruction...
- Abdominal wall injuries: rectus abdominis strains, oblique strains, rectus sheath hematomaRob Johnson
Department of Family Medicine, University of Minnesota, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55408, USA
Curr Sports Med Rep 5:99-103. 2006..Injury definition is most likely the explanation for this discrepancy. The abdominal wall muscles (rectus abdominis, external and internal obliques, and transverse abdominis) are injured by direct blows to the abdomen or by ..
- Early detection of subclinical organ dysfunction by microdialysis of the rectus abdominis muscle in a porcine model of critical intra-abdominal hypertensionEmanuel Benninger
Division of Trauma Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Shock 38:420-8. 2012The aim of this study was to evaluate microdialysis of the rectus abdominis muscle (RAM) for early detection of subclinical organ dysfunction in a porcine model of critical intra-abdominal hypertension (IAH)...
- Skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate reconstruction is an acceptable treatment option for patients with high-risk breast carcinomaKevin J Downes
Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer 103:906-13. 2005..Skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM) followed by immediate reconstruction is an effective treatment option for patients with early-stage breast carcinoma, but its use in patients with more advanced disease is controversial...
- Analysis of complications and patient satisfaction in pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous and deep inferior epigastric perforator flap breast reconstructionAdeyiza O Momoh
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Plast Surg 69:19-23. 2012The purpose of this study was to evaluate complications and patient satisfaction after pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) and deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) flap reconstruction at a single institution...
- Chondrosarcoma from the sternum: reconstruction with titanium mesh and a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap after subtotal sternal excisionKazutaka Koto
Department of Orthopedics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Med Sci Monit 18:CS77-81. 2012..We report a very rare patient with a chondrosarcoma of the sternum who underwent case chest wall resection, followed by reconstruction using a titanium mesh covered with a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap.
- Reconstruction of extensive partial or total sacrectomy defects with a transabdominal vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flapBrian S Glatt
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:526-30; discussion 530-1. 2006..We have found that the most useful option for reconstruction in these cases is a vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous (VRAM) flap, passed transabdominally through the peritoneal cavity into the sacral defect during ..
- Comparison of gracilis and rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap neovaginal reconstruction performed during radical pelvic surgery: flap-specific morbidityJ T Soper
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 17:298-303. 2007To compare flap-specific complications of gracilis myocutaneous (GM) and rectus abdominis myocutaneous (RAM) flap neovaginal reconstructions after radical pelvic surgery...
- Microdialysis of the rectus abdominis muscle for early detection of impending abdominal compartment syndromeChristoph Meier
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Surgery, University of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Intensive Care Med 33:1434-43. 2007..of assessing metabolic derangements during intra-abdominal hypertension (IAH), and whether monitoring of the rectus abdominis muscle (RAM) by microdialysis represents a reliable approach in the early detection of organ dysfunctions in ..
- Reconstruction of ablated rat rectus abdominis by muscle regenerationVincenzo Vindigni
Clinic of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgical Science, and the C N R Institute of Neuroscience, Padua, Italy
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1509-15; discussion 1516-8. 2004..In a rat model of full-thickness rectus abdominis muscle ablation, autologous myoblasts were isolated from the explanted rectus abdominis and seeded in a ..
- Outcomes of immediate vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap reconstruction for irradiated abdominoperineal resection defectsCharles E Butler
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:694-703. 2008..Vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous (VRAM) flaps have been used in an attempt to reduce these complications by obliterating the ..
- Abdomino-perineal resection for anal cancer: impact of a vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneus flap on survival, recurrence, morbidity, and wound healingJeremie H Lefevre
Department of Digestive Surgery, Hospital Saint Antoine, AP HP, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, F 75571 Paris, France
Ann Surg 250:707-11. 2009To evaluate the results of a vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneus (VRAM) flap after abdomino-perineal resection (APR) for anal cancer (AC).
- Endometriosis in the rectus abdominis muscle: case report and literature reviewEmad Kandil
Department of Surgery, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, USA
J La State Med Soc 161:321-4. 2009..Extrapelvic endometriosis is less common, but can involve nearly every organ in the body. We present a patient in whom endometriosis was discovered in the rectus abdominis muscle and discuss the imaging findings and histopathology.
- Use of rectus abdominis muscle flap as adjunct to bladder neck closure in patients with neurogenic incontinence: preliminary experienceEdwin A Smith
Department of Pediatric Urology, Children s Healthcare of Atlanta, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30342, USA
J Urol 183:1556-60. 2010..We describe the surgical anatomy and use of a rectus abdominis muscle flap as an adjunctive maneuver during bladder neck closure to correct or prevent development of ..
- Basic fibroblast growth factor expression following surgical delay of rat transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flapsMichael S Wong
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:2030-6. 2004Partial transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap loss in breast reconstruction can be a devastating complication for both patient and surgeon...
- The transition from pedicle transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous to perforator flap: what is the cost of opportunity?Winnie M Y Tong
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Ann Plast Surg 68:489-94. 2012This study evaluates how the transition from pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (pTRAM) to perforator flaps at an academic center has affected outcome and reimbursement.
- Efficacy and mechanism of hypoxic postconditioning in salvage of ex vivo human rectus abdominis muscle from hypoxia/reoxygenation injuryAndreas Naparus
Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Pharmacol 686:90-6. 2012..Muscle strips (~0.5×0.5×15mm) from human rectus abdominis muscle biopsies were cultured in Krebs-Henseleit-HEPES buffer, bubbled with 95%N(2)/5%CO(2) (hypoxia) or 95%O(..
- Use of the infusion pain pump following transverse rectus abdominis muscle flap breast reconstructionAlbert Losken
Emory Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Paces Plastic Surgery, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Ann Plast Surg 54:479-82. 2005..Thirty-six consecutive transverse rectus abdominis muscle (TRAM) flap breast reconstruction patients were reviewed and included in the series (16 left, 10 right,..
- Changes in the local morphology of the rectus abdominis muscle following the DIEP flap: an ultrasonographic studyS J Lee
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Plast Surg 57:398-405. 2004This study was undertaken to assess the changes in the local morphology of the rectus abdominis muscle following intramuscular dissection of the deep inferior epigastric artery perforators after harvesting of the deep inferior epigastric ..
- Isolated endometriosis on the rectus abdominis muscle in women without a history of abdominal surgery: a rare and intriguing findingRoberta Granese
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Gaetano Martino, Messina, Italy
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:798-801. 2009..We suggest including endometriosis in the differential diagnosis of a symptomatic mass in the abdominal wall in women with and without a surgical history...
- Avoiding denervation of rectus abdominis in DIEP flap harvest: the importance of medial row perforatorsWarren M Rozen
Jack Brockhoff Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Research Unit, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:710-6. 2008The deep inferior epigastric artery (DIEA) perforator flap for breast reconstruction spares rectus abdominis muscle and has low donor-site morbidity...
- Rectus abdominis muscle endometriosis: case report and review of the literatureLuca Giannella
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, C Magati Hospital, Scandiano, Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 36:902-6. 2010..Endometriosis involving the rectus abdominis muscle is a very rare event and its rarity explains the incomplete nature of the reports in the literature...
- The versatility of the pedicled vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap in oncologic patientsAdrien Daigeler
Department of Plastic Surgery, Burn Center, Sarcoma Reference Center, BG University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Buerkle de la Camp Place 1, 44789, Bochum, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 396:1271-9. 2011The vertical rectus abdominis muscle (VRAM) flap is considered a safe and simple option to cover defects of the trunk and proximal thigh...
- Human muscle aging: ROS-mediated alterations in rectus abdominis and vastus lateralis musclesBarbara Marzani
Department of Physiological and Pharmacological Cellular and Molecular Sciences, Section of Pharmacology and Pharmacological Biotechnologies, University of Pavia, P zza Botta 11, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Exp Gerontol 40:959-65. 2005..We studied age-related changes in rectus abdominis (RA) and vastus lateralis (VL) in subjects of different age (18-48- and 66-90-year-old)...
- Breast reconstruction with a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap: spectrum of normal and abnormal MR imaging findingsRonit Karpati Devon
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiographics 24:1287-99. 2004..magnetic resonance (MR) imaging performed in women who had undergone breast reconstruction with a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap...
- Proteasome activities in the rectus abdominis muscle of young and older individualsMaurizio Bossola
Istituto di Clinica Chirurgica, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Largo A Gemelli, 8, 00168, Rome, Italy
Biogerontology 9:261-8. 2008..proteasome activities were determined by evaluating the cleavage of specific fluorogenic substrates in the rectus abdominis muscle of 14 healthy male individuals...
- Pelvic reconstruction using vertical rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flapsEdward Wayne Buchel
Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Ann Plast Surg 52:22-6. 2004..Vertical rectus abdominis flaps are ideally suited to bring nonirradiated tissue into defects associated with radical surgical ..
- Nipple areola skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap reconstruction is an oncologically safe procedure: a single center studyHee Jeong Kim
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Ann Surg 251:493-8. 2010..The present study evaluated the oncological safety and technical outcomes following nipple areola skin-sparing mastectomy (NASSM), skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM), and mastectomy...
- The infected median sternotomy wound: management with the rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flapAlbert K Oh
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, Davis Medical Center, 4301 X Street, Suite 2430, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Ann Plast Surg 52:367-70. 2004..The purpose of this study is to review 1 center's experience with infected median sternotomy wounds utilizing a less common technique, the rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap.
- Large asymmetric hypertrophy of rectus abdominis muscle in professional tennis playersJoaquin Sanchis-Moysi
Department of Physical Education, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
PLoS ONE 5:e15858. 2010To determine the volume and degree of asymmetry of the musculus rectus abdominis (RA) in professional tennis players.
- Sonography and MRI of rectus abdominis muscle strain in elite tennis playersDavid Connell
Department of Radiology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, London HA7 4LP, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:1457-61. 2006The objective of this study was to describe the imaging findings at sonography and MRI of rectus abdominis muscle strain in tennis players.
- [Total glossectomy with larynx preservation and reconstruction with rectus abdominis free flap]Kuauhyama Luna-Ortiz
Departamento de Cabeza y Cuello, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, San Fernando 22, Tlalpan, 14080 Mexico DF
Cir Cir 72:453-6. 2004Our objective was to show the complexity and series of events needed to perform the reconstruction with rectus abdominis free flap to achieve an adequate rehabilitation for patients submitted to total glossectomy with larynx preservation ..
- Neuromuscular efficiency of the rectus abdominis differs with gender and sport practicePascal David
Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
J Strength Cond Res 22:1855-61. 2008The purpose of this investigation was to distinguish the abilities of the rectus abdominis (RA) muscle according to gender and sport training by means of neuromuscular parameters extracted from electromyography (EMG)-torque relationships...
- Perineal healing and survival after anal cancer salvage surgery: 10-year experience with primary perineal reconstruction using the vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous (VRAM) flapK G Sunesen
Department of Surgery P, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Ann Surg Oncol 16:68-77. 2009..surgery during a 10-year period with primary perineal reconstruction predominantly performed using vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous (VRAM) flap. Between 1997 and 2006, 49 patients underwent anal cancer salvage surgery...
- Optimizing pedicled transverse rectus abdominis muscle flap breast reconstructionSuhail K Kanchwala
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer J 14:236-40. 2008..The purpose of this review is to describe the role of the pedicled transverse rectus abdominis muscle (TRAM) flap in modern breast reconstruction...
- Delayed vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for anterior chest wall reconstructionMasao Fujiwara
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Tenri Hospital, 200, Mishima, Tenri, Nara, 632 8552, Japan
Aesthetic Plast Surg 30:120-4. 2006..For repair of radiation ulcers, a flap with a stable blood supply is required. A superiorly based vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous (VRAM) flap is commonly used for chest wall reconstruction...
- Versatility of vertical rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flapsMarkus V Küntscher
Department for Plastic Surgery, Burn Center, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Microsurgery 26:363-9. 2006The purpose of the study was to demonstrate a variety of indications for the vertical rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (VRAM) flap with respect to donor-site morbidity and alternative procedures...
- Spontaneous hematoma of the rectus abdominis muscle: a rare cause of acute abdominal pain in the elderlyR Ozaras
Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 103:332-3. 2003A rectus abdominis sheath hematoma (RSH) is uncommon. It may mimic other acute abdominal disorders...
- The vertical and extended rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for irradiated thigh and groin defectsBrian M Parrett
Division of Plastic Surgery and the Orthopaedic Oncology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:171-7. 2008..The authors evaluated outcomes after reconstruction of these difficult wounds with the vertical and extended rectus abdominis myocutaneous (RAM) flap.
- Inferiorly based rectus abdominis myocutaneous flaps in surgical oncology: Indications, technique, and experience in 37 patientsRoel Bakx
Department of Surgery, Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Surg Oncol 85:93-7. 2004
- Extended pedicle rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for thigh reconstructionA S Halim
Reconstructive Sciences Department, Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, Health Campus Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan
Med J Malaysia 60:109-11. 2005A rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap can provide a large amount of tissue for defect coverage. Rarely a flabby and redundant abdominal tissue was used as a huge extended flap...
- Initiation factors for translation of proteins in the rectus abdominis muscle from patients on overnight standard parenteral nutrition before surgeryBritt Marie Iresjö
Department of Surgery, Surgical Metabolic Research Laboratory at Lundberg Laboratory for Cancer Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE413 45 Göteborg, Sweden
Clin Sci (Lond) 114:603-10. 2008..day(-1) (30 kcal.kg(-1) of body weight.day(-1))]. Saline-infused patients served as controls. Rectus abdominis muscle biopsies were taken at the time of the operation...
- The oblique rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap: revisited clinical applicationsMichael J Lee
Division of Plastic Surgery, Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60610, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:367-73. 2004The authors present their experience with a previously described but infrequently used variation of the rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap...
- Rectus abdominis myocutaneous and myoperitoneal flaps for neovaginal reconstruction after radical pelvic surgery: comparison of flap-related morbidityJohn T Soper
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3079, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Gynecol Oncol 97:596-601. 2005To compare flap-specific complications of rectus abdominis myocutaneous (RAM) and myoperitoneal (RAMP) flap neovagina reconstructions performed concurrently with radical pelvic procedures.
- Primary rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for repair of perineal and vaginal defects after extended abdominoperineal resectionS W Bell
Centre de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 75571 Paris, France
Br J Surg 92:482-6. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the morbidity and results of primary rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap reconstruction of the vagina and perineum after extended abdominoperineal resection.
- One-stage reanimation of the paralyzed face using the rectus abdominis neurovascular free flapAli Sajjadian
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Health and Rehabilitative Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1553-9. 2006..To address this dilemma, the authors propose reconstruction using the rectus abdominis and accompanying intercostal nerve in a one-stage neurovascular free flap reanimation procedure.
- The pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap: indications, techniques, and outcomesDonald W Buck
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill 60611, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:1047-54. 2009..the early 1980s, autologous tissue was at the forefront of breast reconstruction, and the pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap quickly became the reconstructive method of choice for tissuebased reconstruction...
- Recent experience with abdominal perineal resection with vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap reconstruction after preoperative pelvic radiationMarcelo W Hinojosa
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Orange, California 92868, USA
Am Surg 75:995-9. 2009..We review our recent experience with APR with vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap reconstruction (VRAM) after preoperative pelvic radiation...
- Neuromuscular independence of abdominal wall muscles as demonstrated by middle-eastern style dancersJanice M Moreside
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:527-37. 2008..Specifically, we were searching for evidence of separation of upper rectus abdominis (URA) from lower rectus abdominis (LRA), as well as understanding what role the oblique muscles play in ..
- A case report on a full-thickness chest wall reconstruction with polypropylene mesh and stainless steel mesh concurrently using a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flapNaoyuki Yoshino
Departments of Thoracic Surgery, Nippon Medical School Chiba Hokusoh Hospital, Inba, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:445-8. 2006..A chest wall resection and reconstruction was performed using a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap, together with polypropylene mesh (Marlex mesh) and stainless steel mesh (SSM)...
- Usefulness of the bilateral anterior rectus abdominis sheath turnover flap method for early fascial closure in patients requiring open abdominal managementShigeki Kushimoto
Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8603 Japan
World J Surg 31:2-8; discussion 9-10. 2007..In this study we used bilateral anterior rectus abdominis sheath turnover flaps for early fascial closure which, to date, has not been evaluated as a technique for ..
- Free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for breast reconstruction in patients with prior abdominal contouring proceduresShareef Jandali
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Reconstr Microsurg 26:607-14. 2010..Based on the principle of vascular ingrowth and experience of seeing intact perforators arise from the rectus abdominis muscle in repeat abdominoplasty patients, it was hypothesized that these new perforators could adequately and ..
- Why there are two rows of deep inferior epigastric artery perforators despite variability in the number of deep inferior epigastric artery trunks: An anatomical and embryological argumentWarren M Rozen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Clin Anat 24:786-8. 2011..is how such an anatomical fact may come to be? The answer probably lies in the anatomy and embryology of the rectus abdominis muscle itself...
- Educational case report--self assessment. An anterior abdominal wall tumourA H Joshi
Department of Cellular Pathology, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Cytopathology 14:172, 221-2. 2003
- Modification of the vertical rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (VRAM) flap for functional reconstruction of complex vulvoperineal defectsKenneth Hui
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Ann Plast Surg 51:556-60. 2003..We describe a modification of the inferior-based vertical rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (VRAM) flap where the superior portion is split longitudinally to produce "tongue" ..
- Rectus abdominis muscle strains in tennis playersJavier Maquirriain
Centro Nacional de Alto Rendimiento Deportivo, Pilar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Br J Sports Med 41:842-8. 2007b>Rectus abdominis muscle strains are common and debilitating injuries among competitive tennis players...
- Quilting suture in the donor site of the transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap in breast reconstructionLuís A Rossetto
Departamento de Cirurgia, Disciplina de Cirurgia Plástica da Universidade Federal de São Paulo UNIFESP EPM, Rua Napoleao de Barros, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Ann Plast Surg 62:240-3. 2009..between the superficial fascia in the supraumbilical remaining flap and the musculoaponeurotic layer of the anterior abdominal wall) at the donor site of the transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap in breast reconstruction.
- Rectus abdominis muscle flaps used successfully for median sternotomy wounds after ipsilateral internal mammary artery ligationD T Netscher
Division of Plastic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Plast Surg 47:223-8. 2001Use of the rectus abdominis muscle for reconstruction based on its superior blood supply has been said by some to be contraindicated if the ipsilateral internal mammary artery (IMA) has been divided for reasons such as coronary artery ..
- Electromyographic activity of selected trunk muscles during stabilization exercises using a gym ballA Mori
Department of Rehabilitation, Hyogo Medical College Hospital
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 44:57-64. 2004..Bipolar surface electrodes were attached to the right side of the upper and lower rectus abdominis, the obliquus externus abdominis and the upper and lower back extensor muscles...
- Primary rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for repair of perineal and vaginal defects after extended abdominoperineal resection (Br J Surg 2004; 92: 482-486)A P Zbar
Br J Surg 92:1046. 2005
- Quantification of the differences in electromyographic activity magnitude between the upper and lower portions of the rectus abdominis muscle during selected trunk exercisesG J Lehman
University of Waterloo-Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (UW-CMCC) Research Clinic, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Phys Ther 81:1096-101. 2001..exercises and clinical tests that attempt to differentially activate the upper or lower portions of the rectus abdominis muscle...
- The dissection of the rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap with complete preservation of the anterior rectus sheathD Erni
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Inselspital University Hospital, Berne, Switzerland
Br J Plast Surg 56:395-400. 2003Harvesting the rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap results in defects in both the rectus abdominis muscle and the anterior rectus sheath, which may be circumvented by dissecting a perforator flap (DIEP flap) instead...
- Rotation flap of the anterior rectus abdominis sheath for hernia prevention in TRAM breast reconstructionAbraham Amir
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Bellinson Campus, Petah Tiqva 49100, Israel
Ann Plast Surg 50:207-11. 2003..Different techniques have been described to avoid this complication. The use of anterior rectus abdominis sheath (ARAS) for the repair of various abdominal wall hernias has been well described in the literature and ..
- [Breast reconstruction with pedicled TRAM flap (a retrospective study of 115 consecutive cases)]P Tribondeau
Service Gynecologie Obstetrique, Clinique Saint Martin, allée des Tulipes, 2, rue Camponac, 33600 Pessac, France
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 53:309-17. 2008..The purpose of this study is to analyse the advantages, disadvantages and results of the uni-pedicled TRAM flap...
- The efficacy of bilateral lower abdominal free flaps for unilateral breast reconstructionElisabeth K Beahm
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:41-54. 2007..In these circumstances, bipedicled flaps may best satisfy the reconstructive requirements, but outcomes with bilateral free flaps for unilateral breast reconstruction are generally lacking...
- A two-year prospective analysis of trunk function in TRAM breast reconstructionsAmy K Alderman
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2131-8. 2006..To address the concerns of abdominal wall morbidity with transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap reconstructions, the authors prospectively evaluated the long-term effects of ..
- The "sideways" VRAM flap for broad soft-tissue chest wall coverageMichael S Suzman
Department of Plastic Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2526-7. 2006
- The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the technical delivery of postmastectomy radiotherapySabin B Motwani
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:76-82. 2006..To quantify the impact of immediate breast reconstruction on postmastectomy radiation therapy (PMRT) planning...
- Internal mammary perforator recipient vessels for breast reconstruction using free TRAM, DIEP, and SIEA flapsMichel Saint-Cyr
Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1769-73. 2007..However, it is not known whether they are as reliable as the internal mammary vessels or whether their use would result in increased recipient-site complications...
- Breast MRI findings after modified radical mastectomy and transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap in patients with breast cancerBong Joo Kang
Department of Radiology, St Mary s Hospital, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:784-91. 2005To evaluate the MRI findings in breast cancer patients who had undergone a modified radical mastectomy (MRM) and a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap.
- Comparison of outcomes and donor-site morbidity in unilateral free TRAM versus DIEP flap breast reconstructionM V Schaverien
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Burns Surgery, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:1219-24. 2007At long-term follow up we cannot easily differentiate between patients who have undergone free transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap and deep inferior epigastric artery perforator (DIEP) flap breast reconstruction in ..
- Recovery after transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap breast reconstruction surgeryDeena Damsky Dell
Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 35:189-96. 2008To assess pain and activity limitations and to determine realistic goals for recovery after a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap breast reconstruction in a standard rehabilitation and recovery program...
- Double pedicle deep inferior epigastric perforator/muscle-sparing TRAM flaps for unilateral breast reconstructionJayant P Agarwal
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ann Plast Surg 58:359-63. 2007Utilizing both rectus abdominis muscles for unilateral breast reconstruction poses significant risks for hernia or bulge formation and decreased abdominal wall strength...
- Initial experience with laparoscopic inferior epigastric vessel ligation for delayed transverse rectus abdominus musculocutaneous flap breast reconstructionThadeus L Trus
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Arch Surg 142:362-4. 2007..We report our initial experience with laparoscopic inferior epigastric vessel ligation...
- A retrospective analysis of patient satisfaction with immediate postmastectomy breast reconstruction: comparison of three common proceduresAlexandrina S Saulis
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1669-76; discussion 1677-8. 2007..The authors aimed to quantify overall patient satisfaction with three breast reconstruction techniques and identify factors that have influenced satisfaction...
- Transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap wound-healing complications in breast reconstruction: assisted closure using foam suction dressingPierre Ludovic Giacalone
Oncology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, Montpellier, France
Breast J 12:481-4. 2006Transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap necrosis is a difficult reconstructive problem which historically has entailed protracted management with poor aesthetic outcome...
- Pedicle preservation technique for arterial and venous turbocharging of free DIEP and muscle-sparing TRAM flapsCharles Y Tseng
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Ill 60637, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:851-4. 2007
- 3D CT angiography of abdominal wall vascular perforators to plan DIEAP flapsGedge D Rosson
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Microsurgery 27:641-6. 2007..Current methods of preoperative perforator localization can be time-consuming, inaccurate, and imprecise. Thus, we sought to evaluate ultra-high resolution 3D CT angiography for the preoperative mapping of DIEAP flap perforating vessels...
- Breast reconstruction with the TRAM flap: pedicled and freeJoseph M Serletti
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:532-7. 2006..Autogenous reconstructions do not tend to change with time and usually do not require periodic revision as seen in implant reconstructions...
- Superior epigastric artery perforator flap: preliminary reportTetsuji Uemura
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Saga University Hospital, Saga, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1e-5e. 2007
- Immediate autologous breast reconstruction using muscle-sparing TRAM flaps with superficial epigastric system turbocharging: a salvage optionAl B Cohn
University of Chicago Hospitals, Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Reconstr Microsurg 22:153-6. 2006..When compared to the transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap, the muscle-sparing deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) flap and the ..
- Breast reconstructionI S Fentiman
Hedley Atkins Breast Unit, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:471-4. 2006..The more sophisticated transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap-based reconstructions are generally performed by plastic surgeons so that there may ..
- Laparoscopic repair for recurrent abdominal wall hernia after TRAM flap breast reconstruction: case report of 2 patientsRobert B Shaw
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94306, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:447-50. 2006The transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap is an appealing option for women choosing between various breast reconstructive techniques as it results in an autologous reconstructed breast that is soft and mimics a natural ..
- Complications associated with breast reconstruction using a perforator flap compared with a free TRAM flapAdena S Scheer
Faculty of Medicine and, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Plast Surg 56:355-8. 2006..018) and the diabetic patients (P=0.013). This study suggests that postoperative complications are related to patient comorbidities, and personal factors and should be considered when selecting the most appropriate reconstructive option...
- DIEP and pedicled TRAM flaps: a comparison of outcomesPatrick B Garvey
Division of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1711-9; discussion 1720-1. 2006..comparing similar and sizable numbers of deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) and pedicled transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap reconstructions are lacking...
- Utility of the free deep inferior epigastric perforator flap in chest wall reconstructionStephen R Sullivan
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Breast J 13:50-4. 2007..Free flaps, such as the transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap, are used for large defects, although donor site morbidity can result...
- The use of a deep inferior epigastric perforator flap (DIEP) in a case of severe breast asymmetry secondary to radiation therapy during childhoodAlexandre Mendonça Munhoz
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Breast J 13:76-82. 2007..However, the need for microsurgical training as well as the extended surgical time are the main limiting factors for the use of this flap...
- Ten years' experience of free flaps for breast reconstruction in a Danish microsurgical centre: an auditChristian T Bonde
Department of Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit, Centre of Head and Orthopaedics, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 40:8-12. 2006..However, to secure an optimal blood supply we still use a muscle-sparing transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap sometimes...
- Multidetector-row computed tomography in the planning of abdominal perforator flapsJ Masia
Plastic Surgery Department, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma Barcelona, Sant Antoni M Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:594-9. 2006..reconstruction of the abdomen by identifying exactly where the three best perforators emerged from the rectus abdominis fascia. We then transferred the data obtained from the image to the patient using a coordinate system...
- Effect of obesity on flap and donor-site complications in pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstructionScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D C 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:788-95. 2007The detrimental effects of obesity on pedicled and free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap reconstructions, including flap loss, hematoma, and donor-site hernia, are well documented...
- Immediate postoperative complications in DIEP versus free/muscle-sparing TRAM flapsConstance M Chen
Plastic and Reconstructive Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1477-82. 2007..to use it because of concerns about a higher flap loss rate when compared with free/muscle-sparing transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flaps...
- The effect of radiation on pedicled TRAM flap breast reconstruction: outcomes and implicationsScott L Spear
Division of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:84-95. 2005..The authors recommend that TRAM flap breast reconstruction be postponed in those patients known or expected to receive postmastectomy radiation...
- Radiation effects on breast reconstruction with the deep inferior epigastric perforator flapNicole E Rogers
Tulane University School of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70115, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:1919-24; discussion 1925-6. 2002..These results suggest that when possible, reconstruction should be delayed until after radiation therapy is complete. Persons who smoke or are obese may be at particular risk for complications following radiation therapy...
- Comparison of donor-site morbidity of SIEA, DIEP, and muscle-sparing TRAM flaps for breast reconstructionLiza C Wu
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:702-9. 2008..flap breast reconstruction; however, there are no published data comparing the donor-site morbidity of SIEA flaps to that of transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) or deep inferior epigastric artery perforator (DIEP) flaps.
- [Breast reconstruction using a rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap: analysis of 234 cases]Hubert Calderoli
Clinique de l Orangerie, 29 allée de la Robertsau 67000 Strasbourg
Bull Acad Natl Med 187:371-85; discussion 385-6. 2003The pedicled rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap is a very sophisticated form of breast reconstruction...
- The simultaneous combination of implants and tram flaps for an aesthetically pleasing breastKao Ping Chang
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 18:215-20. 2002..It is a good alternative for breast cancer patients with previous hypoplasia of the breasts to achieve simultaneous therapeutic and cosmetic results...
- TRAM flap breast reconstruction for patients with advanced breast diseaseAmir B Behnam
University of Rochester, NY, USA
Ann Plast Surg 50:567-71. 2003Transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) breast reconstruction in patients with advanced breast cancer is controversial...
- [Myosonographic evaluation of rectus abdominis muscle function after DIEP flap breast reconstruction]C Kassmann
Klinik für Plastische, Wiederherstellungs und Handchirurgie, Markus Krankenhaus, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität in Frankfurt am Main
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 34:386-94. 2002..After more than 180 DIEP flaps with good aesthetic results without abdominal wall hernias this method has become the "gold standard" for autologous breast reconstruction in our department...
- Influence of vascular delay on abdominal wall complications in unipedicled TRAM flap breast reconstructionRory F Rickard
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Plast Surg 50:138-42. 2003Surgically delaying a unipedicled lower abdominal transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap has been shown to improve flow within the flap...
- [Myosonographic and electromyographic (EMC) evaluation of donor-site morbidity after microsurgical TRAM flap]K Plogmeier
Praxisklinik Kurfürstendamm, Berlin
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 35:43-50. 2003..This indicates that problems after harvesting a TRAM flap (bulging, hernias etc.) are not due to the partial removal of muscle, but due to the general dissection of the abdominal wall, as seen in other abdominal operations...
- Mastectomy Reconstruction Outcome Consortium (MROC Study)Edwin G Wilkins; Fiscal Year: 2013..used options for breast reconstruction: expander/implant, latissimus dorsi/implant, pedicle transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM), free TRAM, and deep inferior epigastric perforator techniques...
- Race, Lipoprotein Lipase and Obesity after MenopauseAndrew Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..mesenteric) and subcutaneous abdominal (SAT) AT-LPL activity and increased skeletal muscle LPL activity in rectus abdominis and vastus lateralis are the cellular mechanisms underlying racial differences in visceral obesity and SM-TG ..
- FUNCTIONAL CARDIAC ASSISTANCE WITH SKELETAL MUSCLE POUCHStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 1990The proposed research is designed to test the ability of a skeletal muscle-powered (rectus abdominis) assist ventricle to augment cardiac output in a chronic study in dogs...
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPY OF MUSCLE CARCINOGENESISCarlo Bruni; Fiscal Year: 1980..The initiating agent is a subcarcinogenic dose (0.4 mg) of nickel subsulfide (Ni3S2) injected into the rectus abdominis muscle; the promoting treatment consists of three slight compressions made at weekly intervals, of the area ..
- ORGANIZATION OF ANTICIPATORY POSTURAL ADJUSTMENTSAlexander Aruin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Clinical application of the results of the study will define more precisely the focus of conventional rehabilitation strategies aimed at improving postural control in people with postural deficits. ..
- Role of Auxiliary Sensory Cues on Balance in Peripheral NeuropathyAlexander Aruin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The project will provide preliminary data on the role auxiliary sensory cues play in the balance of individuals with peripheral neuropathy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COMPELLED BODY WEIGHT SHIFT THERAPY IN INDIVIDUALS WITH STROKEAlexander Aruin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANICAL VENTILATION AND RESPIRATORY MUSCLESScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of our experiments is to provide the knowledge required to develop clinical strategies to oppose the deleterious effects of MV on respiratory muscles. ..
- Spinal Cord Stimulation to Restore Cough In HumansAnthony DiMarco; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EXPIRATORY MUSCLE ACTIVATION TO PRODUCE COUGHAnthony DiMarco; Fiscal Year: 2003..Restoration of affective cough mechanism may allow patients with spinal cord injury to clear secretions more easily, reduce the incidence of respiratory complication and, ultimately, improve their life quality. ..
- AGING EFFECTS ON INTERMITTENT WORK CAPACITYMaury Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2002..The quantification of intermittent work capacity is an important first step towards effective risk assessment, job evaluation, and reduction of economic and medical costs associated with workplace injuries. ..
- Exercise, Antioxidants, and I-R InjuryScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanical Ventilation and Diaphragmatic Oxidant InjuryScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Spinal Load and Stability during PushingMichael Madigan; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. the influence of the inertial mass of the pushed object, the velocity of movement, and compare the spinal loads and stability of pushing a cart versus pushing an overhead lift-assist device. ..
- Combined Intercostal and Diaphragm PacingAnthony DiMarco; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Tumor metastasis: Biobehavioral mechanismsAnil K Sood; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Evaluating Expectations for Breast ReconstructionAndrea Pusic; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biomechanics and Correction of Crouch GaitScott L Delp; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Occupational Trunk Flexion and Neuromuscular DisturbanceMaury A Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results will guide future studies and/or epidemiologic investigations regarding the mechanism of cumulative risk from flexed working postures. ..
- Simulation-Based Treatment Planning for Gait DisordersScott Delp; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MUSCLE FUNCTION AFTER TENDON TRANSFER SURGERYScott Delp; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 4 will examine how postoperative function of the rectus femoris influences knee motion during gait. The success of this work will result in better, more predictable treatment outcomes. ..
- Risk factors and controls for falls from heightsMaury Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Fibroblast-Derived MT1-MMP in Oral CancerEben Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HEPATITIS C VIRAL QUASISPECIES WITHIN THE LIVERAdrian Di Bisceglie; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies have great potential significance for understanding of viral clearance, development of persistent infection and for the development of a vaccine against HCV. ..
- The Role of Cytokeratins in Skeletal Muscle InjuryRICHARD LOVERING; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed research is designed to elucidate some of the shared cellular and molecular mechanisms. ..