Genomes and Genes
Summary: Muscles forming the ABDOMINAL WALL including RECTUS ABDOMINIS, external and internal oblique muscles, transversus abdominis, and quadratus abdominis. (from Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications222 found, 100 shown here
- Feedforward responses of transversus abdominis are directionally specific and act asymmetrically: implications for core stability theoriesGarry T Allison
School of Physiotherapy, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 38:228-37. 2008..Experimental laboratory study supplemented with a repeated case study...
- Neuromuscular junction in abdominal muscles of Drosophila melanogaster during adulthood and agingAna Beramendi
Department of Zoology, Stockholm University, S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden 35131
J Comp Neurol 501:498-508. 2007....
- Respiratory-related activation of human abdominal muscles during exerciseKirk A Abraham
Department of Physiology, The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Physiol 541:653-63. 2002We tested the hypothesis that abdominal muscles are active during the expiratory phase of the respiratory cycle during exercise...
- Opioid-resistant respiratory pathway from the preinspiratory neurones to abdominal muscles: in vivo and in vitro study in the newborn ratWiktor A Janczewski
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Box 951763, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
J Physiol 545:1017-26. 2002..breathing movements are stopped by administration of opioids (opioid-induced apnoea) in neonatal rats, abdominal muscles continue to contract at a rate similar to that observed during periods of ventilation...
- Transversus abdominis and the superficial abdominal muscles are controlled independently in a postural taskP W Hodges
Department of Physiotherapy, The University of Queensland, Australia
Neurosci Lett 265:91-4. 1999..between the motor command for arm movement and the associated 'anticipatory' postural response of the abdominal muscles. Limb movement reaction time was varied by changing the expectation of limb movement direction required in a ..
- Maintenance of EMG activity and loss of force output with instabilityKenneth G Anderson
School of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
J Strength Cond Res 18:637-40. 2004..The diminished force output suggests that the overload stresses required for strength training necessitate the inclusion of resistance training on stable surfaces...
- Abdominal muscle activity during the abdominal hollowing manoeuvre in the four point kneeling and prone positionsI D Beith
Physiotherapy Division, Kings College, London, UK
Man Ther 6:82-7. 2001This study investigated the pattern of recruitment of the abdominal muscles during the abdominal hollowing manoeuvre (AHM), in four point kneeling and prone...
- Influence of the technique of re-educating thoracic and abdominal muscles on respiratory muscle strength in patients with cystic fibrosisRenata Claudia Zanchet
Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 32:123-9. 2006To determine the effect that re-education of the thoracic and abdominal muscles has on the respiratory muscle strength of patients with cystic fibrosis evaluated over time at the Cystic Fibrosis Outpatient Clinic of the Universidade Cató..
- Effect of core stability exercises on feed-forward activation of deep abdominal muscles in chronic low back pain: a randomized controlled trialOttar Vasseljen
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1101-8. 2012..A randomized controlled trial...
- Immediate effects of co-contraction training on motor control of the trunk muscles in people with recurrent low back painLeanne Hall
CCRE in Spinal Pain, Injury and Health, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:763-73. 2009Although deficits in the activation of abdominal muscles are present in people with low back pain (LBP), this can be modified with motor training...
- Trunk antagonist co-activation is associated with impaired neuromuscular performanceN Peter Reeves
Center for Orthopedic Research, Osteopathic Surgical Specialties, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University, Ingham Regional Orthopedic Hospital, 2727 S Pennsylvania Ave, Rm 230, Lansing, MI 48910, USA
Exp Brain Res 188:457-63. 2008..Such antagonistic co-activation increases trunk stiffness with the possible objective of limiting kinematic disturbances due to greater force variability...
- Differences in feedforward trunk muscle activity in subgroups of patients with mechanical low back painSheri P Silfies
Rehabilitation Sciences Research Laboratory, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:1159-69. 2009..We further hypothesized that we would find differences between subgroups of our patients with MLBP, grouped according to diagnosis (segmental instability and noninstability)...
- Muscle activation changes after exercise rehabilitation for chronic low back painPaul W Marshall
Department of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:1305-13. 2008..To investigate the changes in 2 electromyographic measures, flexion relaxation (FR) response and feed-forward activation of the deep abdominals, associated with low back pain (LBP) after different rehabilitation interventions...
- Role of abdominal muscles activity on duration and severity of hypoxemia episodes in mechanically ventilated preterm infantsCristian Esquer
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Neonatology 92:182-6. 2007..Episodes of hypoxemia are often observed in ventilated preterm infants. The factors that determine their duration, severity and the failure of the mechanical breaths to maintain ventilation have not been fully defined...
- Onset in abdominal muscles recorded simultaneously by ultrasound imaging and intramuscular electromyographyOttar Vasseljen
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Medisinsk teknisk forskningssenter, N 7489 Trondheim, Norway
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:e23-31. 2009Delayed onset of muscle activity in abdominal muscles has been related to low back pain...
- Vigor of visceromotor responses to urinary bladder distension in rats increases with repeated trials and stimulus intensityP Castroman
Department of Anesthesiology, ZRB 940, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1530 Third Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294-0006, USA
Neurosci Lett 306:97-100. 2001..The present report supports the utility of this model for studies of urinary bladder nociception...
- Sudden and unexpected loading generates high forces on the lumbar spineA F Mannion
Schulthess Klinik, Zurich, Switzerland, and the University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:842-52. 2000..A cross-sectional study of spinal loading in healthy volunteers...
- Transversus abdominis plane blockYasuyuki Shibata
Anesth Analg 105:883; author reply 883. 2007
- Comparison of analgesic efficacy of subcostal transversus abdominis plane blocks with epidural analgesia following upper abdominal surgeryG Niraj
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Leicester General Hospital, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
Anaesthesia 66:465-71. 2011..Tramadol consumption was significantly greater in the TAP group (p=0.002). Subcostal TAP catheter boluses may be an effective alternative to epidural infusions for providing postoperative analgesia after upper abdominal surgery...
- The use of ultrasound imaging of the abdominal drawing-in maneuver in subjects with low back painDeydre S Teyhen
Center for Physical Therapy Research, US Army Baylor University Doctoral Program in Physical Therapy, San Antonio, TX, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 35:346-55. 2005..Randomized controlled trial among patients with low back pain (LBP)...
- Isokinetic measurement of trunk muscle strength in women with chronic low-back painM Bayramoglu
Ayaş FTR Merkezi, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 80:650-5. 2001..To investigate the relationships among chronic low-back pain and obesity, total spinal range of motion, and trunk muscle strength. The short-term impact of trunk muscle strengthening exercises on this condition was also examined...
- The surgical transversus abdominis plane block--a novel approach for performing an established techniqueD J Owen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Leighton Hospital, Mid Cheshire Hospital NHS Trust, Crewe, UK
BJOG 118:24-7. 2011..We believe our technique may be easier, safer and equally effective...
- Transversus abdominis plane block reduces the analgesic requirements after abdominoplasty with flank liposuctionAntonino Araco
Dolan Park Hospital, Bromsgrove, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ann Plast Surg 65:385-8. 2010..We describe results obtained with a case control study between patients undergoing abdominoplasty with the TAP block compared with a similar group of patients not receiving the block...
- Trunk muscle electromyographic activity with unstable and unilateral exercisesDavid G Behm
School of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
J Strength Cond Res 19:193-201. 2005..Electromyographic activity of the upper lumbar, lumbosacral erector spinae, and lower-abdominal muscles were monitored. Instability generated greater activation of the lower-abdominal stabilizer musculature (27...
- Demonstration of excessive metabolic activity of thoracic and abdominal muscles on FDG-PET in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAysel Aydin
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Clin Nucl Med 30:159-64. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine if an FDG-PET study was able to visualize muscle uptake of the chest and abdomen in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- The effect of food consumption on the thickness of abdominal muscles, employing ultrasound measurementsRamin Kordi
Sport Medicine Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, No 7, Al e Ahmad Highway, P O Box 14395 578, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Eur Spine J 20:1312-7. 2011..This study was performed to evaluate the effect of food consumption on thickness of lateral abdominal muscles. Lateral abdominal muscles thicknesses of 63 healthy volunteer men were measured before and after food ..
- Epilepsia partialis continua of the abdominal muscles with transient MRI abnormalitiesManuel Dafotakis
University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Neurology 66:1099. 2006
- Diverging intramuscular activity patterns in back and abdominal muscles during trunk rotationEva A Andersson
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, University College of Physical Education and Sports, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E152-60. 2002..An intramuscular electromyographic study was performed on trunk rotations during sitting and standing...
- Back and abdominal muscle function during stabilization exercisesJ P Arokoski
Departments of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:1089-98. 2001..To assess the paraspinal and abdominal muscle activities during different therapeutic exercises and to study how load increment produced by varying limb movements and trunk positions could affect these muscle activities...
- Trunk muscle stabilization training plus general exercise versus general exercise only: randomized controlled trial of patients with recurrent low back painGeorge A Koumantakis
School of Physical Therapy, Drosopoulou 6, Kypseli, Athens 112 57, Greece
Phys Ther 85:209-25. 2005....
- Identifications of SUMO-1 cDNA and its expression patterns in Pacific white shrimp Litopeanaeus vannameiYanisa Laoong-u-thai
Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Int J Biol Sci 5:205-14. 2009..Interestingly, LvSUMO-1 mRNA levels are high in abdominal muscle during the premolt stage, wherein it has significant activities of protein degradation, suggesting its possible role in the regulation of shrimp muscle protein degradation...
- Postural response of the pelvic floor and abdominal muscles in women with and without incontinenceMichelle D Smith
Division of Physiotherapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Neurourol Urodyn 26:377-85. 2007To determine whether activity of the pelvic floor (PF) and abdominal muscles differs between continent and incontinent women in response to a postural perturbation with a moderately full or empty bladder.
- TOF count at corrugator supercilii reflects abdominal muscles relaxation better than at adductor pollicisK Kirov
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Department, Jean Verdier University Hospital of Paris, 93143 Bondy Cedex, France
Br J Anaesth 98:611-4. 2007..We compared the visual estimation of NMT at CSC and AP with electromyographic measurements of AB during recovery from a vecuronium block...
- Exercise-induced abdominal muscle fatigue in healthy humansBryan J Taylor
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, School of Sport and Education, Brunel University, Middlesex, UB8 3PH UK
J Appl Physiol 100:1554-62. 2006The abdominal muscles have been shown to fatigue in response to voluntary isocapnic hyperpnea using direct nerve stimulation techniques...
- Increased fatigue resistance of respiratory muscles during exercise after respiratory muscle endurance trainingSamuel Verges
Exercise Physiology, Institute for Human Movement Sciences, ETH Zurich, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R1246-53. 2007..In conclusion, RMT decreased the development of respiratory muscle fatigue during intensive exercise, but this change did not seem to improve cycling endurance...
- Impaired abdominal muscle contractility after high-intensity exhaustive exercise assessed by magnetic stimulationSamuel Verges
Exercise Physiology, Institute for Human Movement Sciences, ETH Zurich, and Institute of Physiology and Center for Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Muscle Nerve 34:423-30. 2006..Before, immediately after exercise, and after 30 and 60 min of recovery, the nerve roots supplying the abdominal muscles were stimulated magnetically at the T10 level in the prone position after full potentiation...
- Responses of the anterolateral abdominal muscles during cough and expiratory threshold loading in the catD C Bolser
Department of Physiological Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32612, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 88:1207-14. 2000The present study was conducted to determine the pattern of activation of the anterolateral abdominal muscles during the cough reflex...
- Response of trunk muscle coactivation to changes in spinal stabilityK P Granata
Motion Analysis and Motor Performance Laboratory, Kluge Children s Rehabilitation Center, University of Virginia, 2270 Ivy Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903, USA
J Biomech 34:1117-23. 2001..Gender difference in spinal stability were also noted. Results empirically demonstrate that the neuromuscular system responds to changes in spinal stability and provide insight into the recruitment of trunk muscle activity...
- Activation of lumbar paraspinal and abdominal muscles during therapeutic exercises in chronic low back pain patientsJari P Arokoski
Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:823-32. 2004To assess the activities of paraspinal and abdominal muscles during therapeutic exercises for the treatment of patients with nonspecific chronic low back pain (CLBP), and to study the effects of active physical rehabilitation on these ..
- Sensory-motor control of the lower back: implications for rehabilitationG R Ebenbichler
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University Hospital of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1889-98. 2001..The impact of pain and muscle injury on the muscular support for the lumbar motion segment will be discussed along with the deficits in neuromuscular control in LBP patients with decreased segmental lumbar stability...
- The thoracoabdominal syndrome (TAS): a new X-linked dominant disorderR Carmi
Clinical Genetic Unit, Soroka University Hospital, Beer Sheva, Israel
Am J Med Genet 36:109-14. 1990..The relative number of affected males and females and appreciably severer manifestations in males suggest an X-linked dominant inheritance...
- Expression patterns of ubiquitin, heat shock protein 70, alpha-actin and beta-actin over the molt cycle in the abdominal muscle of marine shrimp Litopenaeus vannameiJose Renato O Cesar
Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
Mol Reprod Dev 74:554-9. 2007..Muscle structural alpha-actin and cytoskeletal beta-actin were increased during intermolt and premolt stages, suggesting high muscle growth during these stages in the abdominal muscle of the L. vannamei...
- Changes in recruitment of the abdominal muscles in people with low back pain: ultrasound measurement of muscle activityPaulo H Ferreira
Department of Physiotherapy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2560-6. 2004..Ultrasound and electromyographic (EMG) measures of trunk muscle activity were compared between low back pain (LBP) and control subjects in a cross-sectional study...
- Contraction of the abdominal muscles associated with movement of the lower limbP W Hodges
Department of Physiotherapy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Phys Ther 77:132-42; discussion 142-4. 1997..A model involving evaluation of the response of the lumbar multifidus and abdominal muscles to leg movement was developed to evaluate this function.
- The validity and reliability of surface EMG to assess the neuromuscular response of the abdominal muscles to rapid limb movementP Marshall
Human Anatomy and Functional Human Anatomy, Department of Sport and Exercise Science, The University of Auckland, Tamaki Campus, Private Bag 92019 Auckland, New Zealand
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 13:477-89. 2003....
- Abdominal muscle and quadriceps strength in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseW D C Man
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Thorax 60:718-22. 2005..However, the abdominal muscles are of a similar anatomical and fibre type distribution to the quadriceps, although they remain active in ..
- Effect of expiratory muscle fatigue on exercise tolerance and locomotor muscle fatigue in healthy humansBryan J Taylor
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, School of Sport and Education, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:1442-51. 2008..We propose that EMF impaired subsequent exercise tolerance primarily through an increased severity of limb locomotor muscle fatigue and a heightened perception of leg discomfort...
- Activity of deep abdominal muscles increases during submaximal flexion and extension efforts but antagonist co-contraction remains unchangedDonna T McCook
NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Spinal Pain, Injury and Health, School of Health and Rehabilitation Science, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:754-62. 2009..In submaximal tasks, TrA activation may enhance stability as a strategy to improve trunk stiffness without requiring a concurrent increase in activity of the larger torque producing trunk muscles...
- The interpretation of abdominal wall muscle recruitment strategies change when the electrocardiogram (ECG) is removed from the electromyogram (EMG)Heather L Butler
Department of Industrial Engineering, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:e102-13. 2009..Different statistical findings were observed among the muscle sites for the ECG contaminated model compared to the ECG removed model, which resulted in different conclusions concerning neuromuscular control...
- Directionality of anticipatory activation of trunk muscles in a lifting task depends on load knowledgeJ H van Dieen
Amsterdam Spine Unit, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Exp Brain Res 128:397-404. 1999..In the absence of load knowledge trunk stiffness is increased by bilateral activity and the perturbation is attenuated since the rate of lifting is reduced...
- Abdominal muscles contribute in a minor way to peak spinal compression in liftingM P de Looze
Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomech 32:655-62. 1999In lifting, the abdominal muscles are thought to be activated to stabilize the spine. As a detrimental effect, they contribute to spinal compression. The existing literature is not conclusive about the biological relevance of this effect...
- Differentiating temporal electromyographic waveforms between those with chronic low back pain and healthy controlsC L Hubley-Kozey
Motion Analysis Laboratory, School of Physiotherapy, Dalhousie University, 5869 University Avenue, Halifax, NS, Canada B3J 3H5
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 17:621-9. 2002..Temporal activation patterns from abdominal and lumbar muscles were compared between healthy control subjects and those with chronic low back pain...
- Changes in trunk muscle activation and lumbar-pelvic position associated with abdominal hollowing and reach during a simulated manual material handling taskHeather L Butler
Department of Industrial Engineering, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ergonomics 50:410-25. 2007..05) than for any of the abdominal muscles for all conditions, except for the anterior external oblique for AH...
- Evidence for a role of antagonistic cocontraction in controlling trunk stiffness during liftingJaap H van Dieen
Institute for Fundamental and Clinical Human Movement Sciences, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, Van der Boechorststraat 9, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam BT 1081, Netherlands
J Biomech 36:1829-36. 2003Activity of the abdominal muscles during symmetric lifting has been a consistent finding in many studies. It has been hypothesized that this antagonistic coactivation increases trunk stiffness to provide stability to the spine...
- Abdominal muscle activity during voiding in female rats with normal or irritated bladderYolanda Cruz
Dept of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 1X5
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R1436-45. 2006..However, we conclude that in female rats, the abdominal muscle is reflexively activated during physiological urine expulsion. On the other hand, bladder irritation is marked by an exaggeration of this abdominal visceromotor reflex...
- Postural activity of the abdominal muscles varies between regions of these muscles and between body positionsDonna M Urquhart
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Gait Posture 22:295-301. 2005The abdominal muscles have an important role in control and movement of the lumbar spine and pelvis...
- Core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ballPaul W Marshall
Department of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:242-9. 2005..To assess lumbopelvic muscle activity during different core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ball...
- Do exercise balls provide a training advantage for trunk extensor exercises? A biomechanical evaluationJanessa D M Drake
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:354-62. 2006..The purpose of this study is to evaluate differences in the biological response of muscle activation, lumbar spine posture, and loading variables for extensor exercises performed on 2 surfaces...
- Relationships among lateral abdominal muscles, gender, body mass index, and hand dominanceBarbara A Springer
Physical Therapy Service, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 36:289-97. 2006..Exploratory...
- Electromyographic activity of selected trunk muscles during dynamic spine stabilization exercisesG M Souza
Department of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90002, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:1551-7. 2001..The relatively low levels of electromyographic activity observed in both exercises suggests that the intensity of muscle recruitment is not likely sufficient to provide a strengthening effect in healthy subjects...
- A functional subdivision of hip, abdominal, and back muscles during asymmetric liftingL A Danneels
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physical Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, Ghent University, Belgium and the Department of Motor Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy, Jan Palfijn Hospital, Gallifort Campus, Antwerp, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:E114-21. 2001..An experimental study of muscle recruitment patterns during asymmetric lifting in healthy individuals...
- Muscle activation during exercises to improve trunk stability in men with low back painCheryl L Hubley-Kozey
School of Physiotherapy, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:1100-8. 2002....
- The effect of fatigue on trunk muscle activation patterns and spine postures during simulated firefighting tasksDiane E Gregory
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Ergonomics 51:1032-41. 2008..Reduced co-contraction combined with the increased spinal flexion may increase the risk of sustaining an injury to the low back...
- [Electromyographic alterations of trunk muscle of patients with post-stroke hemiparesis]Fernando Cesar Iwamoto Marcucci
Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Avenida Robert Kock 60, 86038 440 Londrina, PR, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 65:900-5. 2007..Stroke is the main cause of chronic disability in adults, but few studies evaluated the trunk motor activity in affected subjects...
- Trunk muscle coordination in reaction to load-release in a position without vertical postural demandA E Martin Eriksson Crommert
Department of Clinical Medicine, Family Medicine Research Centre AFC, Orebro University, Box 1613, 701 16, Orebro, Sweden
Exp Brain Res 185:383-90. 2008..This function was not accompanied by an early activation of TrA as has been shown previously for trunk perturbations in standing, i.e. a situation with an additional demand of maintaining the trunk posture upright against gravity...
- Evaluation of the EMG-force relationship of trunk muscles during whole body tiltChristoph Anders
Clinic for Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Division for Motor Research, Pathophysiology and Biomechanics, University Hospital, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany
J Biomech 41:333-9. 2008..Back muscles were characterized by a linear SEMG-force relationship during forward tilt. Abdominal muscles showed an S-shaped polynomial SEMG-force relationship for backward tilt direction...
- Quantification of lumbar stability by using 2 different abdominal activation strategiesSylvain G Grenier
Spine Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, ON, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:54-62. 2007..To determine whether the abdominal hollowing technique is more effective for lumbar spine stabilization than a full abdominal muscle cocontraction...
- Abdominal exercise intensities on firm and compliant surfacesRaymond Chong
Department of Physical Therapy, Medical College of Georgia EC 1342, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Percept Mot Skills 106:917-26. 2008..The partial sit-up on the floor was the least strenuous of the six exercises. The greatest effect on the abdominal muscles was observed in the partial sit-up on a ball (stabilized and unstabilized)...
- Effect of isometric upper-extremity exercises on the activation of core stabilizing musclesSami P Tarnanen
Department of Health Sciences, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:513-21. 2008..To evaluate whether isometric exercises for the upper extremities could sufficiently activate core stabilizing muscles to increase muscle strength...
- Altered patterns of superficial trunk muscle activation during sitting in nonspecific chronic low back pain patients: importance of subclassificationWim Dankaerts
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2017-23. 2006..A cross-sectional comparative study between healthy controls and two subgroups of nonspecific chronic low back pain (LBP) patients...
- Muscular and centre of pressure response to sudden release of load in symmetric and asymmetric stoop lifting tasksDaniel H K Chow
Jockey Club Rehabilitation Engineering Centre, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong S A R, P R China
Appl Ergon 36:13-24. 2005....
- Anticipatory postural adjustment in selected trunk muscles in post stroke hemiparetic patientsRuth Dickstein
Department of Physical Therapy, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:261-7. 2004....
- Electromyographic study of trunk muscle activity during unresisted twisting posture in various twisting anglesY W Swie
Department of Systems Engineering, The University of Electro Communications, Chofugaoka 1 5 1, Chofu City, Tokyo 182 8585, Japan
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 44:111-26. 2004..to represent low back muscles, while external oblique (EO) and internal oblique (IO) were represented as abdominal muscles. Ten male subjects were asked to maintain a trunk twisting posture in various twisting angles for each right ..
- Spinal mobility and EMG activity in idiopathic scoliosis through dynamic lateral bending testsO C Ciolofan
Sainte Justine Hospital, 3175 Côte Ste Catherine Rd, Montreal, H3T 1C5, Canada
Stud Health Technol Inform 91:130-4. 2002..The biggest contribution to total EMG output was 36% from lumbar muscles in healthy and 35% from abdominal muscles in scoliotic subjects...
- Influence of trunk curl-up speed on muscular recruitmentFrancisco J Vera-Garcia
Area de Educación Física y Deportiva, Universidad Miguel Hernandez de Elche, Elche Alicante, Spain
J Strength Cond Res 22:684-90. 2008..On the basis of our findings, curl-up speed had an important effect on trunk muscular recruitment and must be taken into account when prescribing exercise programs for abdominal conditioning...
- Muscular contribution to low-back loading and stiffness during standard and suspended push-upsTyson A C Beach
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Hum Mov Sci 27:457-72. 2008..Also directly resulting from the increased activation levels of the abdominal muscles and the latissimus dorsi during suspended push-ups was increased muscular contribution to lumbar IVJ ..
- Influence of trunk muscle co-contraction on spinal curvature during sitting for desk workS Watanabe
Department of Rehabilitation, Faculty of Health Science and Technology, Kawasaki University of Medical Welfare Kurashiki City, Japan
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 47:273-8. 2007....
- The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment patterns in healthy subjects during stabilization exercisesVeerle K Stevens
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, Ghent, Belgium
Man Ther 12:271-9. 2007..of maximal voluntary isometric contraction) showed a higher activity of the local (segmental-stabilizing) abdominal muscles, but not of the local back muscles; minimal changes in global (torque-producing) muscle activity also ..
- Relationship between abdominal and pelvic floor muscle activation and intravaginal pressure during pelvic floor muscle contractions in healthy continent womenStéphanie J Madill
School of Rehabilitation Therapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Neurourol Urodyn 25:722-30. 2006Activation of the abdominal muscles might contribute to the generation of a strong pelvic floor muscle contraction, and consequently may contribute to the continence mechanism in women...
- Surface electromyography activity of trunk muscles during wheelchair propulsionYu Sheng Yang
Human Engineering Research Laboratories 151R1 H, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare Systems, 7180 Highland Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 21:1032-41. 2006....
- Designing ergonomic interventions for EMS workers - part II: lateral transfersSteven A Lavender
Department of Industrial, Welding and Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1971 Neil Avenue, Room 210, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Appl Ergon 38:227-36. 2007..Ratings of perceived exertion also supported the use of the single rod relative to the corresponding control condition...
- The effects of prior exposure, warning, and initial standing posture on muscular and kinematic responses to sudden loading of a hand-held boxGrant A Mawston
Health and Rehabilitation Research Centre, School of Physiotherapy, Auckland University of Technology, Private Bag 92006, Auckland, New Zealand
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 22:275-81. 2007....
- The effect of increasing resistance on trunk muscle activity during extension and flexion exercises on training devicesVeerle K Stevens
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, B9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:434-45. 2008..50% MMT and 70% MMT, the activity of all back muscles during the extension exercises and the activity of all abdominal muscles during the flexion exercises increased significantly...
- Critical illness VR rehabilitation device (X-VR-D): evaluation of the potential use for early clinical rehabilitationH van de Meent
University Medical Centre St Radboud, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Reinierpostlaan 4, POB 9191, Postal code 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:480-6. 2008..We conclude that the X-VR-D is safe and effective to elicit consistent and reproducible muscle activity in trunk and leg muscles in healthy subjects and thus can be used as a training method...
- Effects of the mechanical load on forward bending motion of the trunk: comparison between patients with motion-induced intermittent low back pain and healthy subjectsIchiro Takahashi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University, School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E73-8. 2007..Postural changes and trunk muscle activities were examined in patients with motion-induced intermittent low back pain (MILBP) and healthy controls...
- Electromyographical, ultrasonographical and morphological modifications in semitendinous muscle after transposition as ventral perineal muscle flapA C Mortari
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Anesthesiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science UNESP Botucatu, Caixa Postal 560, Rubiao Junior, S N, CEP 18618 000 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 52:359-65. 2005..Electromyography demonstrated that the transposed muscle was able to contract, but atrophy was detected by ultrasonography and morphological analysis...
- Trunk muscle responses to suddenly applied loads: do individuals who develop discomfort during prolonged standing respond differently?Diane E Gregory
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3G1
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:495-502. 2008..Also, after discomfort developed, these individuals displayed an increased response in their abdominal muscles. This overall increase in trunk musculature activity could either be detrimental by potentially increasing ..
- Gender specific activation patterns of trunk muscles during whole body tiltChristoph Anders
Clinic for Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Division for Motor Research, Pathophysiology and Biomechanics, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, 07740, Jena, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:195-205. 2007..At corresponding tilt angles women exhibited higher amplitude levels of their abdominal muscles in comparison to men, who were characterized by higher back muscle amplitudes...
- Are the changes in postural control associated with low back pain caused by pain interference?G Lorimer Moseley
The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Clin J Pain 21:323-9. 2005....
- How the inherent stiffness of the in vivo human trunk varies with changing magnitudes of muscular activationStephen H M Brown
Spine Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 23:15-22. 2008The abdominal muscles provide stiffness to the torso in a manner that is not well understood...
- Trunk muscle activity increases with unstable squat movementsKenneth Anderson
School of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, A1C 5S7
Can J Appl Physiol 30:33-45. 2005..Performing squats on unstable surfaces may permit a training adaptation of the trunk muscles responsible for supporting the spinal column (i.e., erector spinae) as well as the muscles most responsible for maintaining posture (i.e., SOL)...
- Abdominal strengthening using the AbVice machine as measured by surface electromyographic activation levelsLori Avedisian
Department of Physical Therapy, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, Connecticut 06518, USA
J Strength Cond Res 19:709-12. 2005..01 level except for the standard crunch vs. the AbRoller. The AbVice activated the selected abdominal musculature more effectively than the other conditions...
- Trunk muscle response to lifting unbalanced loads with and without knowledge of centre of massBrandon M Meyers
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Ontario, Toronto, Canada M3J 1P3
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 18:712-20. 2003..To examine the effects of lifting a bin with a variable centre of mass on muscle activity, with and without knowledge of the centre of mass...
- Specific phase related patterns of trunk muscle activation during lateral lifting and loweringQ M Huang
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet and Department of Sport and Health Sciences, University College of Physical Education and Sports, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Physiol Scand 178:41-50. 2003..However, little is yet known about the responses of the lumbar trunk muscles during lateral lifting and lowering. The present investigation was therefore designed to study these responses...
- Trunk muscle onset detection technique for EMG signals with ECG artefactG T Allison
The Centre for Musculoskeletal Studies, School of Surgery and Pathology, The University of Western Australia, Level 2 Medical Research Foundation Building, Rear 50 Murray Street, Perth 6000, Australia
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 13:209-16. 2003..In spite of the robustness of the algorithm, the findings would suggest that statistical assessments should be used to target trials for selective visual inspection for subtle trunk muscle onsets...
- Biomechanical analysis of a posterior transfer maneuver on a level surface in individuals with high and low-level spinal cord injuriesDany Gagnon
Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire en réadaptation du Montréal métropolitain Site Institut de réadaptation de Montréal, Montreal, Que, Canada
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 18:319-31. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the movement patterns and the muscular demand during a posterior transfer maneuver on a level surface in individuals with spinal cord injuries...
- Derecruitment of the lumbar musculature with fatiguing trunk extension exerciseBrian C Clark
Musculoskeletal Research Laboratory, Department of Exercise Science, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:282-7. 2003..This was a descriptive study involving 20 healthy individuals...
- Hypaxial motor patterns and the function of epipubic bones in primitive mammalsStephen M Reilly
Department of Biological Sciences, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701, USA
Science 299:400-2. 2003Since the first description of epipubic bones in 1698, their functions and those of the associated abdominal muscles of monotremes and marsupial mammals have remained unresolved...
- Increase in spinal stability obtained at levels of intra-abdominal pressure and back muscle activity realistic to work situationsM Essendrop
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Appl Ergon 33:471-6. 2002..These results show that both abdominal- and back muscles may have an important role in stabilising the spine, and in decreasing movements caused by sudden loads likely to appear in numerous work..
- EMG activity normalization for trunk muscles in subjects with and without back painJoseph K F Ng
Department of Physiotherapy, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:1082-6. 2002....
- Exploration of mechanical and electromyographic responses of trunk muscles to high-intensity resistive exerciseG L Smidt
Physical Therapy Graduate Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:815-30. 1989..6) The majority of variables reflecting strength and endurance were retained. The methods and results can serve as guidelines for the evaluation of trunk muscle function and resistive exercise in the clinic...
- VESTIBULAR REGULATION OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLE ACTIVITYBill J Yates; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Vomiting is a consequence of a stereotyped pattern of co-contractions of the diaphragm and abdominal muscles that generate high intragastric pressures...
- LONG MUSCLES WITH SERIES FIBERS--ULTASTRUCTUREJohn Trotter; Fiscal Year: 1991..In long muscles, notably those with parallel architecture such as the hamstrings, sartorius, adductors and abdominal muscles, the individual muscle fibers are shorter than the muscle, and terminate within the muscle by tapering to ..
- Binder Free Diaphragm Pacing Stimulation and Airway Clearance AssistanceAnthony Ignagni; Fiscal Year: 2006..If the abdominal muscles are weak or flaccid during inspiration the contraction of the diaphragm will result in a distension of the ..
- Bone Geometry, Body Composition and Sex Hormones in MenLynn Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Abdominal muscles may directly affect mechanical loads on the hip and spine...
- LOW BACK PAIN IN CYCLIC AND PROLONGED ACTIVITIESMoshe Solomonow; Fiscal Year: 2002..and mechanical properties of spinal ligaments in vivo and the activity of motor units of the paraspinal and abdominal muscles in cyclic and stationary loading conditions, when the ligaments are subjected to creep as well as their ..
- RESPIRATORY MUSCLES IN REGULATION OF INFANT BREATHINGANN STARK; Fiscal Year: 1980..We plan to examine changes in muscle activity observed with surface electromygrams of the diaphragm, abdominal muscles and intercostal muscles in newborn infants following increases in lung volume produced by both postural ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF NEURAL CONNECTIONS IN AN EMBRYOARTHUR HUMES; Fiscal Year: 1980..Intracellular recording from embryonic abdominal muscles has demonstrated that neuromuscular synapses are active as early as the third month of a nine month ..
- MYOSIN ISOFORM EXPRESSION IN LOBSTER MUSCLE FIBERSDONALD MYKLES; Fiscal Year: 1992..information ii necessary for the synthesis of hybridization probes, which are used for RNA blot analysis and in situ hybridization to compare myosin HC isoform expression and histochemical properties of adult claw and abdominal muscles.
- Role of the Amygdala in Opioid Self-administration in Rats with Chronic Pain.Thomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- STABILITY OF MUSCULAR LOADING OF THE LUMBAR SPINEIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, the specific roles of individual muscles will be better elucidated, which will be helpful in guiding therapy for people with low back dysfunction. ..
- AN INTEGRATED MODEL OF INTERVERTEBRAL DISC FUNCTIONIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2006..and the local conditions that can influence its metabolism, eventual composition and function in three-dimensions. ..
- MECHANICAL MODULATION OF GROWTH IN PHYSESIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Progressive scoliosis deformity in intervertebral discIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2009..These approaches may include improvements in brace design, new possibilities for muscle rehabilitation, and surgical procedures aimed at early, minimally invasive modification of spinal growth. ..
- Mechanisms of specific trunk Exercises in low back painSharon M Henry; Fiscal Year: 2010..This series of experiments will, for the first time, compare two classification systems used in LBP treatment and determine if they are superior to STC exercises. 4 ..
- LOW BACK PAIN: A MOTOR CONTROL IMPAIRMENT?Sharon Henry; Fiscal Year: 2002..By having a better understanding of trunk motor coordination, evaluation and treatment strategies can be more specific and more effective in the rehabilitation of persons with LBP. ..
- Engineering Approach to the Ventilatory PumpALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..The completion of these aims will significantly enhance our fundamental understanding of the ventilatory pump function in health and disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will examine bioeffects in cells and tissues and show how to safely use ultrasound contrast agents in diagnostic imaging. ..
- Regulation of the Endothelial Cell GlycocalyxBrian Duling; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experiments offer the potential for understanding a new level of microvascular regulation, and for developing strategies to understand the intracellular signaling that leads to modification of the glycocalyx. ..
- Physiology of Respiratory Muscle MicromechanicsALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2009..The completion of these aims will significantly contribute to the fundamental understanding of mechanical signal transduction in the respiratory pump. ..
- Occupational Trunk Flexion and Neuromuscular DisturbanceMaury A Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results will guide future studies and/or epidemiologic investigations regarding the mechanism of cumulative risk from flexed working postures. ..
- Aging and vestibular disease on postural controlPATRICK SPARTO; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Vestibular Influences on Head Direction Cell ActivityBill Yates; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work may also provide insights into potential effects of peripheral and central vestibular lesions on spatial cognition in humans. ..
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- AGING EFFECTS ON INTERMITTENT WORK CAPACITYMaury Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2002..The quantification of intermittent work capacity is an important first step towards effective risk assessment, job evaluation, and reduction of economic and medical costs associated with workplace injuries. ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- Videoscopic Drainage of Infected Pancreatic CollectionsKaren Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal is to use data obtained from this study as the basis for a multicenter, Phase III, randomized study comparing the VARD to the current standard of care, open surgical necrosectomy. ..
- High Intensity Ultrasound in GastroenterologyJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is anticipated that this work will help to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of HIFU and its potential role for other GI applications such as tumor therapy. ..
- INTERCELLULAR COMMUNICATION IN MICROVESSELSBrian Duling; Fiscal Year: 2004..Hypothesis 5 - Intercellular communication is mediated by multiple connexins Hypothesis 6- Gap junctional communication plays a role in the establishment of normal vasomotor tone ..
- Motor Correlates of Song Plasticity in Adult SongbirdsBrenton Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results will be further our understanding of how vocal plasticity is manifested in motor correlates of song. ..
- Mechanical Failure Induces a Chronic Wound Phenotype in Laparotomy IncisionsMichael Franz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since the abdominal wall is a load-bearing structure made up of muscles and tendons, load signals may be important for successful abdominal wall repair. ..
- Regulation of Fibroblast Survival in the Collagen MatrixMark Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Loss of matrix anchorage is hypothesized to reverse these effects and induce apoptosis. The involvement of each protein will be probed with mutated isoforms. ..
- Risk factors and controls for falls from heightsMaury Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of early-in-life bladder stimulation on adultsAlan Randich; Fiscal Year: 2004..Translation to the treatment of IC would be highly probable. ..
- Treatment of Fear and Pain in Irritable Bowel SyndromeBruce Naliboff; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Early-In-Life Inflammation Effects on Urinary Bladder SensationAlan Randich; Fiscal Year: 2009..Translation to the treatment of painful bladder syndromes like 1C would be highly probable. ..
- Prognostic significance of T wave variabilityEric Rashba; Fiscal Year: 2006..2) Patients with increased T wave variability derive a greater mortality benefit from prophylactic ICD implantation. ..
- Arrhythmia Assessment Core Lab for IMMEDIATE TrialEric Rashba; Fiscal Year: 2006..End of abstract.) [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electrophysiologic effects of late PCI (OAT-EP)Stephen Shorofsky; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Neonatal Bladder Inflammation, Opioids, and Adult Bladder PainAlan Randich; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Microarray Analysis of WoundsAMY COLWELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize these genes can be used to modulate the biology of adult wound healing. This first step will form our basis for developing treatment to induce scarless healing. ..