- Biliary obstruction reduces hepatic killing and phagocytic clearance of circulating microorganisms in rats
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 7:497-506. 2003
..This is thought to be related, in part, to dysfunction of the hepatic reticuloendothelial system (RES)...
- Targeting study of gelatin adsorbed clodronate in reticuloendothelial system and its potential application in immune thrombocytopenic purpura of rat model
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Rui Jin Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Second Medical University, Ruijin 2nd Road 197, Shanghai 200025, PR China
J Control Release 114:202-8. 2006
..Our preliminary data demonstrate that CLOD-GNS can effectively target reticuloendothelial system and its potentials in the treatment of ITP warrants further study.
- Autoimmune thrombocytopenia: flow cytometric determination of platelet-associated CD154/CD40L and CD40 on peripheral blood T and B lymphocytes
Mohamed H Meabed
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Bani Suef University, Bani Suef, Egypt
Hematology 12:301-7. 2007
..anti-platelet autoantibodies, which bind to circulating platelets resulting in their destruction by the reticuloendothelial system. Despite its clinical importance, the diagnosis of ITP is one of exclusion, thus, inevitably associated ..
- Iron metabolism in the reticuloendothelial system
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 38:61-88. 2003
Comprised mainly of monocytes and tissue macrophages, the reticuloendothelial system (RES) plays two major roles in iron metabolism: it recycles iron from senescent red blood cells and it serves as a large storage depot for excess iron...
- The adaptive response of the reticuloendothelial system to major liver resection in humans
Martin J Schindl
Edinburgh Liver Surgery and Transplantation Experimental Research Group eLISTER and the Department of Surgery, Royal Infirmary Edinburgh, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Ann Surg 243:507-14. 2006
To evaluate the contribution of the liver to total circulatory reticuloendothelial system (RES) phagocytosis capacity in patients undergoing liver resection and to compare it with values in end-stage chronic liver disease.
- Adenovirus-platelet interaction in blood causes virus sequestration to the reticuloendothelial system of the liver
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Box 357720, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Virol 81:4866-71. 2007
..Identification of this new sequestration mechanism and construction of vectors that avoid it could improve levels of target cell transduction at lower vector doses...
- Hepatic reticuloendothelial system dysfunction after ischemia-reperfusion: role of P-selectin-mediated neutrophil accumulation
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Liver Transpl 9:940-8. 2003
..Although alterations in reticuloendothelial system (RES) function (specifically Kupffer cell function) after I-R have been delineated, the degree to which ..
- Gut barrier permeability, reticuloendothelial system function and protease inhibitor levels following intestinal ischaemia and reperfusion--effects of pretreatment with N-acetyl-L-cysteine and indomethacin
Department of Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Dig Liver Dis 34:560-9. 2002
..Pathophysiological mechanisms and ways to intervene on intestinal barrier dysfunction following small intestinal ischaemia and prolonged reperfusion are still not fully clarified...
- Intestinal uptake and biodistribution of novel polymeric micelles after oral administration
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Avenue E Mounier 73 UCL 73 20, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Control Release 111:47-55. 2006
..The oral bioavailability of the polymer was 40%. Polymeric micelles based on mmePEG750P(CL-co-TMC) showed very low clearance by the reticuloendothelial system (RES) and a renal excretion. A sustained release of risperidone was observed.
- Lactobacilli attenuate bacteremia and endotoxemia associated with severe intra-abdominal infection
Department of Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Surgery 134:467-73. 2003
..In this study, we wanted to compare the protective effect of enteral administration of lactobacilli to gentamicin against severe intra-abdominal infection...
- Pathological consequences to reticuloendothelial system organs following infusion of unstable all-in-one mixtures in rats
David F Driscoll
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Nutrition, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center BIDMC, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Nutr 25:842-50. 2006
..Recent evidence of lung injury from the infusion of unstable lipid injectable emulsions as all-in-one mixtures (AIOs) was shown in a guinea pig infusion model...
- Objectives and mechanism of iron chelation therapy
Department of Hematology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, P O Box 3235, Jerusalem, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:124-35. 2005
..The efficacy of combined chelation treatment is additive and offers an increased likelihood of success in patients previously failing DFO or deferiprone monotherapy...
- Temporal effect of hemoglobin resuscitation on sepsis survival
H W Kim
Brown University School of Medicine The Miriam Hospital, 164 Summit Avenue, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 32:401-11. 2004
..In conclusion, HS resuscitation does not appear to enhance postresuscitation sepsis mortality. Rather, when conducted concomitantly or prior to sepsis, HS resuscitation appears to improve survival from a subsequent sepsis challenge...
- Prolonged circulation of large polymeric nanoparticles by non-covalent adsorption on erythrocytes
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
J Control Release 100:111-9. 2004
..delivery vehicles; however, their applications are limited by rapid clearance from circulation by the reticuloendothelial system (RES)...
- Factors governing the in vivo tissue uptake of transferrin-coupled polyethylene glycol liposomes in vivo
Laboratory for Molecular Design of Pharmaceutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 0812, Japan
Int J Pharm 281:25-33. 2004
..Collectively, these results indicate that size dependency in the uptake of Tf-PEG-L is tissue-dependent and therefore, controlling the size of Tf-PEG-L may be useful for the success of tissue targeting...
- Immunostimulating activity of the hot water-soluble polysaccharide extracts of Anacyclus pyrethrum, Alpinia galanga and Citrullus colocynthis
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Mentouri University, Constantine 25000, Algeria
J Ethnopharmacol 88:155-60. 2003
..While the extract of Citrullus colocynthis showed much weaker and variable immunostimulating activity...
- Scavenger receptor block as strategy for the identification of bone marrow homing phages by panning in vivo random peptide phage displayed libraries
Anita N Finger
Gene Therapy Laboratory, Department of Clinical Research and Department of Urology, University of Bern, Sahli Haus 2, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Immunol Methods 264:173-86. 2002
..Accordingly, this panning strategy in vivo may be useful for the identification of targeting motifs specific for cells located in the extravascular space of various tissues...
- AI-700 pharmacokinetics, tissue distribution and exhaled elimination kinetics in rats
Julie A Straub
Acusphere, Inc, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Int J Pharm 328:35-41. 2007
..At 1440 min post-dose, 52-72% of the Pd dose was recovered from organs of the reticuloendothelial system. Approximately 77% of the intravenously injected DFB was found in expired air within 3h after dosing, ..
- RES function and liver microcirculation in the early stage of acute experimental pancreatitis
Department of Surgery II, Semmelweis Medical University, Budapest, Hungary
Hepatogastroenterology 50:861-6. 2003
The reticuloendothelial system and in particular the Kupffer cells in the liver are important for eliminating antigens and toxic substances in many diseases including acute pancreatitis...
- Thiazolidinediones increase the number of platelets in immune thrombocytopenic purpura mice via inhibition of phagocytic activity of the reticulo-endothelial system
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Jichi Medical School, Omiya Medical Center, 1 847 Amanuma cho, Saitama 330 8503, Japan
Life Sci 71:2037-52. 2002
..These results suggest that TZDs improve platelet counts in this mouse model mainly by suppressing systemic reticulo-endothelial phagocytic function...
- [Differential diagnosis of intra- and perilienal tumors by use of a RES-specific MRI contrast agent]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Strahlenheilkunde der Charité, CampusVirchow Klinikum, Medizinische Fakultat der Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin
Rontgenpraxis 55:192-9. 2004
..To describe the additional benefit in detection and differential diagnosis of peri- and intrasplenic tumors by use of an superparamagnetic iron oxide contrast agent (SPIO)...
- Antibody- and complement-independent phagocytotic and cytolytic activities of human macrophages toward porcine cells
Department of Surgery, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Programs for Biomedical Research, Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Hiroshima University, Japan
Xenotransplantation 12:181-8. 2005
..To address such a possibility, phagocytotic and cytolytic activities of human macrophages toward xenogeneic porcine cells were evaluated in vitro in the absence of antibodies and complement factors...
- [Bioeffects of chronic exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields of low intensity (standardization strategy)]
Iu G Grigor'ev
State Research Center Institute of Biophysics, Moscow, 123182 Rissua
Radiats Biol Radioecol 43:501-11. 2003
..The changes in parameters of reproductive functions and posterity, the increase in embryo mortality were found. The standartization strategy used in the USSR and currently applied in Russia has been discussed...
- Acute 40 percent exchange-transfusion with hemoglobin-vesicles (HbV) suspended in recombinant human serum albumin solution: degradation of HbV and erythropoiesis in a rat spleen for 2 weeks
Advanced Research Institute for Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
Transfusion 46:339-47. 2006
..Their efficacy for acute exchange transfusion has been characterized in animal models. However subsequent profiles of recovery involving the degradation of HbV in the reticuloendothelial system (RES) and hematopoiesis remain unknown.
- Targeting of mannosylated liposome incorporated benzyl derivative of Penicillium nigricans derived compound MT81 to reticuloendothelial systems for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis
Jadavpur University, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Kolkata, 700 032, India
J Drug Target 13:285-93. 2005
- Polyion complex micelles composed of all-trans retinoic acid and poly (ethylene glycol)-grafted-chitosan
Young Il Jeong
Brain Tumor Research Laboratory, The Research Institute of Medical Science, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju 501 746, Republic of Korea
J Pharm Sci 95:2348-60. 2006
..A migration test was performed to investigate the inhibition of tumor cell invasion in vitro. The results suggested that the polyion complex micelles was more effective at inhibiting tumor cell migration than free ATRA...
- Iron mobilization from transferrin and non-transferrin-bound-iron by deferiprone. Implications in the treatment of thalassemia, anemia of chronic disease, cancer and other conditions
George J Kontoghiorghes
Postgraduate Research Institute of Science, Technology, Environment and Medicine, Limassol, Cyprus
Hemoglobin 30:183-200. 2006
..Deferiprone and its combinations may also have potential applications in the treatment of cancer, the anemia of chronic disease and other conditions...
- The effect of the host's iron status on tuberculosis
Johan R Boelaert
Internal Medicine, Unit of Renal and Infectious Diseases, Algemeen Ziekenhuis St Jan, Brugge, B 8000, Belgium
J Infect Dis 195:1745-53. 2007
..Thus, the host's iron status may be an important yet underevaluated factor in TB prevention and therapy and in TB vaccine design...
- Preparation and in vitro evaluation of carrier erythrocytes for RES-targeted delivery of interferon-alpha 2b
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 71345 1583, Shiraz, Iran
Int J Pharm 341:125-33. 2007
..study, human erythrocytes have been loaded with interferon-alpha 2b (IFN) with the aim to benefit the reticuloendothelial system (RES) targeting potential of the carrier cells...
- Physiological capacity of the reticuloendothelial system for the degradation of hemoglobin vesicles (artificial oxygen carriers) after massive intravenous doses by daily repeated infusions for 14 days
Advanced Research Institute for Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Tokyo 169 8555, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 311:874-84. 2004
..for its degradation by daily repeated infusions (DRI) of HbV, focusing on its influence on the reticuloendothelial system (RES)...
- Severe pulmonary pathology after intravenous administration of vectors in cirrhotic rats
Jeffrey S Smith
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Ther 9:932-41. 2004
After an intravascular injection, adenoviral vectors are normally taken up by the reticuloendothelial system in the liver, where they rapidly trigger an innate response...
- The expression of src-suppressed C kinase substrate (SSeCKS) and uptake of exogenous particles in endothelial and reticular cells
Laboratories of Anatomy, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 67:135-47. 2004
..Taken together, these findings indicate that SSeCKS expression in endothelial cells and reticular cells is a functional index of the reticulo-endothelial system and is involved in the uptake of particles from blood and lymph circulation...
- Multiple hepatic receptors cooperate to eliminate secretory mucins aberrantly entering the bloodstream: are circulating cancer mucins the "tip of the iceberg"?
Mark G Wahrenbrock
Glycobiology Research and Training Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0687, USA
Cancer Res 66:2433-41. 2006
..quot; Such aberrantly circulating mucins could play pathologic roles not only in cancer but also during injury or inflammation of hollow organs and in liver disease...
- Lack of recognition of Nepsilon-(carboxymethyl)lysine by the mouse liver reticulo-endothelial system: implications for pathophysiology
Dmitri N Svistounov
Department of Experimental Pathology, Medical Faculty, University of Tromsoe, Norway
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 309:786-91. 2003
..Our results suggest that CML does not engender AGE-BSA clearance. Macromolecules substituted with CML only may escape elimination and cause pathological effects...
- Hepatic reticuloendothelial function during parenteral nutrition including an MCT/LCT or LCT emulsion after liver transplantation - a double-blind study
Ernst R Kuse
Hanover Medical Center, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Transpl Int 15:272-7. 2002
It has been demonstrated that total parenteral nutrition (TPN) modulates the function of the hepatic reticuloendothelial system (RES)...
- Nanocrystal targeting in vivo
Maria E Akerman
Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12617-21. 2002
..to target specific tissues and cell types and escape from the biological particulate filter known as the reticuloendothelial system. We set out to explore the feasibility of in vivo targeting by using semiconductor quantum dots (qdots)...
- Modulation of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in vivo regulates systemic iron balance
Jodie L Babitt
Program in Membrane Biology and Nephrology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Invest 117:1933-9. 2007
..These data support a role for modulators of the BMP signaling pathway in treating diseases of iron overload and anemia of chronic disease...
- Melatonin corrects reticuloendothelial blockade and iron status in haemodialysed patients
Servicio de Nefrologia, Hospital Santojanni, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nephrology (Carlton) 10:583-7. 2005
..v. iron supplementation, thus proving iron trapping in the reticuloendothelial system. Melatonin has been reported to reduce cytokine production and, in dialysis patients, to prevent ..
- Autosomal dominant reticuloendothelial iron overload associated with a 3-base pair deletion in the ferroportin 1 gene (SLC11A3)
Department of Haematology, Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend, United Kingdom
Blood 100:695-7. 2002
..These results indicate that this extracellular cluster is functionally important for iron transport, and its disruption leads to iron overload...
- Physical training attenuates the stress-induced changes in rat T-lymphocyte function
Carol Góis Leandro
Superior School of Physical Education, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Neuroimmunomodulation 13:105-13. 2006
..Moderate physical training is associated with beneficial effects on immunological functions. We investigated the effects of a moderate physical training on T-lymphocyte function in rats submitted to acute restraint stress...
- Potential radiopharmaceuticals labeled with titanium-45
Division of Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Int J Rad Appl Instrum A 42:707-12. 1991
..radioactivity uptake in the rat liver, followed by the spleen, suggesting potential for imaging the reticuloendothelial system. Three 45TiO-complexes with diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid, citric acid and human serum albumin ..
- [Protective effect of human macrophage colony-stimulating factor (hM-CSF) on fungal infection (1). In vivo effect of hM-CSF on systemic candidiasis and in vitro effect of hM-CSF on macrophages activities]
Central Research Laboratory, The Green Cross Corporation
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 69:60-7. 1995
..In addition, the effects of hM-CSF on the activity of reticuloendothelial system (RES) organ and on the phagocytic activity and NBT reduction activity of mouse macrophage were also ..
- Immune competence in 90Sr-exposed, adult thymectomized and antilymphocyteglobulin-treated CBA mice. II. Reticuloendothelial phagocytic function and in vitro mitogen responsiveness of spleen cells
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
Acta Oncol 29:615-21. 1990
..of lymphoid cells to mitogens (LPS, PHA, Con-A) and the in vivo phagocytic functioning of the reticuloendothelial system (RES), measured as the rate of clearance of 125I-albumin micro-aggregates in peripheral blood...
- Effects of glucan on the reticuloendothelial system and on the development of tumors in 90Sr-exposed mice
Unit of Experimental Pathology and Risk Research, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
Acta Oncol 31:461-7. 1992
A series of experiments was conducted to examine the effect of glucan on the reticuloendothelial system (RES) and on the development of 90Sr-induced osteosarcomas and malignant lymphomas in CBA/S mice...
- Malignant histiocytosis with central nervous system involvement and hepatic mucinous cystadenoma in a single patient with review of the literature
Institute of Hematology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia
J BUON 12:539-42. 2007
Malignant histiocytosis is a rare neoplasm of the reticuloendothelial system characterized by neoplastic proliferation of tissue histiocytes...
- Hepatic failure with neonatal tissue siderosis of hemochromatotic type in an infant presenting with meconium ileus. Case report and differential diagnosis of the perinatal iron storage disorders
Institute of Pathology, Department of Neonatology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Pathol Res Pract 197:699-709; discussion 711-3. 2001
..nodules as well as hepatic and extrahepatic iron accumulation of hemochromatotic type, sparing the reticuloendothelial system. Atomic absorption spectroscopy confirmed an increase in the iron content of various organs: liver, ..
- Ferric carboxymaltose: a review of its use in iron-deficiency anaemia
Katherine A Lyseng-Williamson
Wolters Kluwer Health mid R Adis, Auckland, New Zealand, an editorial office of Wolters Kluwer Health, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Drugs 69:739-56. 2009
..hydroxide carbohydrate complex, which allows for controlled delivery of iron within the cells of the reticuloendothelial system and subsequent delivery to the iron-binding proteins ferritin and transferrin, with minimal risk of ..
- Altered biodistribution and incidental findings on gallium and labeled leukocyte/bone marrow scans
Division of Nuclear Medicine, St Vincent Catholic Medical Center, New York, NY 10011, USA
Semin Nucl Med 40:271-82. 2010
..The normal biodistribution of technetium-labeled leukocytes includes, in addition to the reticuloendothelial system, colon, urinary tract, and occasionally gall bladder...
- Measurement of thorium isotopes and 228Ra in soft tissues and bones of a deceased Thorotrast patient
J F McInroy
Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM 87545
Health Phys 63:54-71. 1992
..all of the 232Th from the original injection was retained in the body, mostly in the tissues of the reticuloendothelial system. A total of 28 kBq (0.76 microCi) of 232Th was measured in the soft tissues and bones...
- Clinical studies of liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin
Department of Oncology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Acta Oncol 33:779-86. 1994
..doxorubicin entrapped in the bilayer of phosphatidylglycerol-rich liposomes were hindered by the avid reticuloendothelial system (RES) uptake and by drug leakage from circulating liposomes...
- Mortality after radiological investigation with radioactive Thorotrast: a follow-up study of up to fifty years in Portugal
Isabel dos Santos Silva
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England
Radiat Res 159:521-34. 2003
..Thorotrast is retained by the reticuloendothelial system, with a biological half-life of several hundred years, so that such patients suffer lifetime exposure to ..
- [Study on mechanism of onset of endogenous endotoxemia during obstructive jaundice--with special reference to involvement of biliary infection]
First Department of Surgery, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Nihon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 89:1223-32. 1988
..group was also significantly higher than that of non-jaundice group in animal study, and when the reticuloendothelial system was blocked, the endotoxin positive rate in the peripheral blood showed an increasing tendency...
- [Neonatal hemochromatosis. A cause of liver failure in utero. Report of two cases and review of the literature]
Servicio de Neonatologia, Clinica Bazterrica, Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Arch Argent Pediatr 106:155-61. 2008
..liver failure of intrauterine onset associated with intra-and extra- hepatic siderosis that spares reticuloendothelial system. It is the most frequently recognized cause of liver failure in neonates...
- Eculizumab prevents intravascular hemolysis in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and unmasks low-level extravascular hemolysis occurring through C3 opsonization
1Department of Haematology, St James University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Haematologica 95:567-73. 2010
..This may be due to C3-mediated clearance of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria red blood cells through the reticuloendothelial system.
- Pathogen inactivation of Leishmania donovani infantum in plasma and platelet concentrates using riboflavin and ultraviolet light
L J Cardo
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Department of Blood Research, Transfusion Medicine Branch, Silver Spring, MD 20910 7500, USA
Vox Sang 90:85-91. 2006
..The intent of this study was to examine the ability of the Mirasol PRT System to kill the Leishmania parasite in human plasma and platelet concentrates...
- Plasma chitotriosidase activity in patients with beta-thalassemia
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Institute of Pediatrics, Catania Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 25:1-8. 1999
..of beta-globin chains synthesis resulting in unproductive erythropoiesis and enormous expansion of the reticuloendothelial system. Plasma chitotriosidase was increased to a variable extent in 13 of 70 patients with beta-thalassemia ..
- The transplantation of neural stem cells and predictive factors in hematopoietic recovery in irradiated mice
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Charles University Hospital, 50005 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Transfus Apher Sci 32:157-66. 2005
..While we presumed the presence beta-galactosidase(+) cells in the spleen, as spleen and reticuloendothelial system represent an important retaining system for different cell types, the presence of beta-galactosidase(+) ..
- Identification of complement activation sites in human immunodeficiency virus type-1 glycoprotein gp120
Department of Transplantation Immunology, Institute of Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Blood 87:2329-36. 1996
..subsequent opsonization may represent a mechanism for the elimination of uninfected CD4+ cells by the reticuloendothelial system, thereby enhancing the progression of HIV disease...
- [Investigation on the etiology of sepsis by using experimental mouse model with leukocytopenia. 3. The role of Kupffer cells in the etiology of bacteremia]
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 64:1037-44. 1990
In the previous report, we showed that the reticuloendothelial system (RES), especially the liver, played an important role in the etiology of bacteremia or sepsis as the major protective system...
- [Experimental study for thrombocytopenic purpura therapy by targeting macrophages in liver and spleen]
Zhong Hua Tan
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ruijin Hospital, The Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200025, China
Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 15:103-7. 2007
..diphosphonate (Cl(2)MDP)-loaded gelatin particles can induce the depletion of macrophage in reticuloendothelial system of liver and spleen or can depress the immunity of macrophage in SD rat models of immune ..
- Liposome-complement interactions in rat serum: implications for liposome survival studies
D V Devine
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1191:43-51. 1994
Serum complement opsonizes particles such as bacteria for clearance by the reticuloendothelial system. Complement has been reported to interact with liposomes and therefore may mediate the reticuloendothelial system clearance of liposomes...
- Evaluation of hepatic function with (99m)Tc-galactosylated serum albumin scintigraphy in patients with malaria: comparison with (99m)Tc-colloid scintigraphy and liver ultrasonography
Sang Woo Lee
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, Korea
Nucl Med Commun 28:95-9. 2007
- Characterization and cytotoxicity of mixed polyethyleneglycol modified liposomes containing doxorubicin
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Suruga ku, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Int J Pharm 312:83-9. 2006
..Liposomes, bonding peculiarly with serum protein (opsonization), are taken up by reticuloendothelial system (RES) cells in the liver and spleen...
- The potential of transferrin-pendant-type polyethyleneglycol liposomes encapsulating decahydrodecaborate-(10)B (GB-10) as (10)B-carriers for boron neutron capture therapy
Shin Ichiro Masunaga
Particle Radiation Oncology Research Laboratory, Kyoto University, Kumatori, Osaka, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1515-22. 2006
..To evaluate GB-10-encapsulating transferrin (TF)-pendant-type polyethyleneglycol (PEG) liposomes as tumor-targeting (10)B-carriers for boron neutron capture therapy...
- Utility of MRI in assessment of pituitary iron overload
Abdul Mueed Zafar
Medical Student, Year V, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 57:475-7. 2007
..The main complication of beta thalassemia major is iron overload, especially in reticuloendothelial system, heart, joints and endocrine glands...
- From combinatorial chemistry to cancer-targeting peptides
Olulanu H Aina
U C Davis Cancer Center, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California Davis, 4501 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Mol Pharm 4:631-51. 2007
..limited by the large size of the antibody (160 kd) and its relatively nonspecific binding to the reticuloendothelial system. This latter property is particularly problematic if the antibody is used as a vehicle to deliver ..
- Ity influences the production of IFN-gamma by murine splenocytes stimulated in vitro with Salmonella typhimurium
Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 1019
J Immunol 150:3965-72. 1993
..Expression of the resistance gene(s) results in a slower net growth of these pathogens in the reticuloendothelial system early postinfection...
- Polyethylene glycol-complexed cationic liposome for enhanced cellular uptake and anticancer activity
Suk Hyun Jung
Biomaterials Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Yuseong, Deajeon, Republic of Korea Center for Bioactive Molecular Hybrids and Department of Chemistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Pharm 382:254-61. 2009
..shortcomings such as their relatively short blood circulation time, fast clearance from human body by reticuloendothelial system (RES) and limited intracellular uptake to target cells...
- Therapeutic efficacy evaluation of 111In-labeled PEGylated liposomal vinorelbine in murine colon carcinoma with multimodalities of molecular imaging
Tong Hsien Chow
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Nucl Med 50:2073-81. 2009
..The goal of this study was to investigate the real therapeutic effectiveness of 6 mol% PEG (111)In-vinorelbine liposomes via the elevation of the radiation dosage and reduction in the concentration of chemotherapeutic agents...
- Galactosylated streptavidin for improved clearance of biotinylated intact and F(ab')2 fragments of an anti-tumour antibody
Department of Clinical Oncology, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, UK
Br J Cancer 71:18-24. 1995
..much improved tumour to blood ratios as the radioantibody is complexed and subsequently cleared via the reticuloendothelial system, although prolonged splenic uptake is a problem...
- Cutaneous histoplasmosis in a child with hyper-IgM
G G Yilmaz
Department of Pediatrics, Akdeniz University, Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 12:235-8. 1995
..granulomatous mycosis due to Histoplasma capsulatum and characterized by a particular affinity for the reticuloendothelial system. Glabrous skin involvement in histoplasmosis is highly unusual except in patients with advanced human ..
- Behavior and therapeutic efficacy of beta-glucuronidase-positive mononuclear phagocytes in a murine model of mucopolysaccharidosis type VII
B J Freeman
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Blood 94:2142-50. 1999
..However, both cell types retain the ability to home to tissues rich in cells of the reticuloendothelial system after intravenous injection into MPS VII mice...
- Immunity to systemic Salmonella infections
Centre for Veterinary Science, Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK
Curr Mol Med 2:393-406. 2002
..The control of bacterial growth in the reticuloendothelial system (RES) in the early phases of a Salmonella infection relies on the NADPH oxidase-dependent anti-microbial ..
- Effect of sterical stabilization on macrophage uptake in vitro and on thickness of the fixed aqueous layer of liposomes made from alkylphosphocholines
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1285:237-45. 1996
..using liposomes for therapeutic purposes is the fast removal from blood circulation by components of the reticuloendothelial system (RES) most likely after opsonization of the vesicles...
- Kinetics of radioiodinated monoclonal antibodies in the rat. Influence of tumour growth and reticuloendothelial system host modulation
S B Holmberg
Department of Surgery, , Sahlgrenska Hospital, Sweden
Acta Oncol 28:699-703. 1989
..In tumour-bearing animals, RES stimulation with Zymosan increased the whole body, liver and blood content of 131I activity. The two tested methods of iodination gave similar results...
- [Experimental studies of the value of SPIO for MRI of bone marrow before and after whole body irradiation]
H E Daldrup-Link
Institut fur Klinische Radiologie, Westfälischen Wilhelms Universität Münster
Rofo 173:547-53. 2001
..of superparamagnetic iron oxides (SPIO; Endorem) for MRI-derived quantifications of the permeability of the blood-bone marrow barrier and the phagocytic activity of reticuloendothelial system (RES) bone marrow cells before and after TBI.
- Use of plain radiography to optimize skeletal outcomes in children with type 1 Gaucher disease in Brazil
Ronald M V Mota
Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Socor Hospital, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
J Pediatr Orthop 27:347-50. 2007
..in progressive accumulation of glucosylceramide (glucocerebroside) in lysosomes of cells of the reticuloendothelial system in the spleen, liver, and marrow...
- Two successful vaginal births after cesarean section in a patient with Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome who was treated with 1-deamino-8-arginine-vasopression during labor
Ronald D Beesley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Mil Med 173:1048-9. 2008
..characterized by oculocutaneous albinism, platelet storage dysfunction, and lipofuscin deposits in the reticuloendothelial system. Patients with the disorder are at high risk for major morbidity secondary to bleeding complications...
- Altered immune response (humoral and delayed-type hypersensitivity reactions) to sheep red blood cells in the course of experimental filarial infections (Litomosoides carinii, Brugia malayi, Acanthocheilonema viteae) of Mastomys natalensis
Institut für Parasitologie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Federal Republic of Germany
Parasitol Res 75:401-11. 1989
..The phagocytic activity of the reticuloendothelial system (RES) was controlled in vivo by the elimination of 51Cr-labelled SRBC...
- Effects of CpG-oligonucleotides, poly I:C and LPS on Atlantic cod scavenger endothelial cells (SEC)
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, N 9037, Tromsø, Norway
Dev Comp Immunol 32:100-7. 2008
..from the circulation, the scavenger endothelial cells (SECs) represent an important part of the reticuloendothelial system of vertebrates...
- Mannan-coated gelatin nanoparticles for sustained and targeted delivery of didanosine: in vitro and in vivo evaluation
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Drug Research Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab, 147 002, India
Acta Pharm 58:61-74. 2008
Macrophages of the reticuloendothelial system and brain act as major reservoir for HIV because of their long term survival after HIV infection and ability to spread virus particles to bystander CD4 positive lymphocyte cells...
- Ineffective erythropoiesis in mutant mice with deficient pyruvate kinase activity
Department of Anatomy, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Exp Hematol 33:1292-8. 2005
..depletion in individuals with a PK deficiency and are destroyed in the microcirculation of the reticuloendothelial system, leading to extravascular hemolysis...
- Quantification of pegylated phospholipids decorating polymeric microcapsules of perfluorooctyl bromide by reverse phase HPLC with a charged aerosol detector
Univ Paris Sud, UMR CNRS 8612, IFR 141, Faculte de Pharmacie, Chatenay Malabry, France
J Pharm Biomed Anal 48:702-7. 2008
..the preparation of lipid or even polymer colloidal particles to avoid recognition and clearance by the reticuloendothelial system and to increase their plasmatic half-life...
- Experimental study of iron effect on the liver function
Department of Radiology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 2:27-34. 1988
..were evaluated by using hepatobiliary and liver scintigraphy as the index of hepatocyte function and reticuloendothelial system function, respectively...
- Salmonella enterica serovar Gallinarum requires the Salmonella pathogenicity island 2 type III secretion system but not the Salmonella pathogenicity island 1 type III secretion system for virulence in chickens
M A Jones
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Berkshire RG20 7NN, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 69:5471-6. 2001
..Specificity of the disease is primarily at the level of the reticuloendothelial system, but few virulence factors have been described other than the requirement for an 85-kb virulence plasmid...
- Romiplostim management of immune thrombocytopenic purpura
Heather J Ipema
College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:914-9. 2009
..To review the pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, efficacy, and safety of romiplostim, the first drug approved for use in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)...
- Targeted systemic gene therapy and molecular imaging of cancer contribution of the vascular-targeted AAVP vector
Department of Gene Therapy, Section Division of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Wright Fleming Institute, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London, United Kingdom
Adv Genet 69:65-82. 2010
..This is mainly due to undesired uptake by the liver and reticuloendothelial system, broad tropism for mammalian cells causing toxicity, and their immunogenicity...
- Adenovirus activates complement by distinctly different mechanisms in vitro and in vivo: indirect complement activation by virions in vivo
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Virol 83:5648-58. 2009
..whereas complement activation in vivo involved both classical and nonclassical pathways as well as the reticuloendothelial system. Remarkably, the entry-deficient Ad mutant ts1 was completely unable to activate complement in vivo even ..
- [Endotoxemia and its compensatory mechanisms in experimental liver cirrhosis]
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 87:1692-700. 1990
..And functional activities of the reticuloendothelial system were also examined by radioassay with 59Fe-labelled iron-chondroitin sulfate colloid and by ..
- Labial salivary gland involvement in neonatal hemochromatosis: a report of 2 cases and review of literature
King Chong Chan
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York 11040, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:e27-30. 2008
..onset, in which iron deposition occurs within hepatic and extrahepatic sites without involving the reticuloendothelial system. Labial minor salivary gland biopsy has been suggested as a diagnostic adjunct in patients suspected of ..
- Selective impairment of protein kinase C isotypes in murine macrophage by Leishmania donovani
Department of Microbiology, Bose Institute, Calcutta, India
Mol Cell Biochem 216:47-57. 2001
Leishmania donovani, an obligate intracellular parasite resides and multiplies within macrophage of the reticuloendothelial system. The intracellular signalling mechanism involved in the impaired oxidative response in leishmaniasis has ..
- Fatal acute respiratory distress syndrome in a patient with paracoccidioidomycosis: first case report
Laboratory of Dermatology and Immunodeficiencies, and Laboratory of Medical Mycology, Dermatology Division, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Mycol 48:542-5. 2010
..Acute/subacute presentations can be observed in children and young adults, with the reticuloendothelial system frequently involved but the lungs are usually spared or present with mild clinical or radiological ..
- Effects of colloidal resuscitation fluids on reticuloendothelial function and resistance to infection after hemorrhage
E A van Rijen
North Western Injury Research Centre, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:543-9. 1998
..of three resuscitation fluids, hydroxyethyl starch (HES), Haemaccel, and fresh autologous blood, on reticuloendothelial system phagocytic and catabolic functions and resistance to infection after 40% hemorrhages in BALB/c mice were ..
- Effective targeting of solid tumors in patients with locally advanced cancers by radiolabeled pegylated liposomes
K J Harrington
Oncology Unit, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 7:243-54. 2001
..In addition, significant localization of the liposomes was seen in the tissues of the reticuloendothelial system (liver, spleen, and bone marrow)...
- Scrutinizing the mechanisms underlying the induction of anemia of inflammation through GPI-mediated modulation of macrophage activation in a model of African trypanosomiasis
Department of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, VIB, 1050 Brussel, Belgium
Microbes Infect 12:389-99. 2010
..anemia of inflammation, involving a skewed iron homeostasis leading to iron accumulation within the reticuloendothelial system. Myeloid cells (M cells) have been implicated in the induction and maintenance of this type of anemia ..
- Protective mucosal immunity in aging is associated with functional CD4+ T cells in nasopharyngeal-associated lymphoreticular tissue
Department of Oral Biology, Immunobiology Vaccine Center, University of Alabama, 845 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 170:1754-62. 2003
- Diagnosis of prion diseases
Prionics AG, Schlieren, Switzerland
Br Med Bull 66:267-79. 2003
..In this report, we review the classical diagnostic methods as well as present and future tools for the diagnosis of prion diseases...
- First soluble M@C60 derivatives provide enhanced access to metallofullerenes and permit in vivo evaluation of Gd@C60[C(COOH)2]10 as a MRI contrast agent
Robert D Bolskar
TDA Research Inc, 12345 West 52nd Avenue, Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:5471-8. 2003
..MRI biodistribution study in a rodent model reveals Gd@C(60)[C(COOH)(2)](10) to possess the first non-reticuloendothelial system (RES) localizing behavior for a water-soluble endohedral metallofullerene species, consistent with its ..
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin immunotherapy for genitourinary cancer
Nilay M Gandhi
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
BJU Int 112:288-97. 2013
..BCG is a nonspecific stimulant to the reticuloendothelial system and induces a local inflammatory response with the infiltration of granulocytes followed by macrophages ..
- A comparative study on the histological structure of the spleen in the ostrich (Struthio camelus), the kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) and the osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
Department of Histology and Embryology, Mustafa Kemal University, Hatay Turkey
Acta Biol Hung 62:113-21. 2011
..and functionally belongs to the hematopoietic organs and is also an important component of the reticuloendothelial system, which is known to play a major role in host defense...
- Precise quantification of nanoparticle internalization
Department of Chemical Engineering and California NanoSystems Institute, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California 93106 6105, USA
ACS Nano 7:4933-45. 2013
..applied to measure the impact of surface coatings of vesosomes on their internalization by cells of the reticuloendothelial system (RES)...