Genomes and Genes
Summary: A system of organs and tissues that process and transport immune cells and LYMPH.
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- Structure and function of the lymphatic system: an overviewSandy Ellis
St George s Hospital, London
Br J Community Nurs 11:S4-6. 2006The lymphatic system is often overlooked, but is a vital part both of the circulation and the immune system...
- LYVE-1, a new homologue of the CD44 glycoprotein, is a lymph-specific receptor for hyaluronanS Banerji
University of Oxford, Molecular Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Medicine, John Radcliff Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Cell Biol 144:789-801. 1999..Hence, LYVE-1 is the first lymph-specific HA receptor to be characterized and is a uniquely powerful marker for lymph vessels themselves...
- Lymphatic metastasis in the absence of functional intratumor lymphaticsTimothy P Padera
E L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 100 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 296:1883-6. 2002..These findings suggest that the functional lymphatics in the tumor margin alone are sufficient for lymphatic metastasis and should be targeted therapeutically...
- Molecular mechanisms of lymphangiogenesis in health and diseaseKari Alitalo
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory, Biomedicum Helsinki, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Central Hospital, POB 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Cell 1:219-27. 2002..In addition, these studies have opened novel diagnostic and therapeutic avenues for the treatment of lymphedema and metastasis. This overview highlights the recent insights and developments in the field of lymphatic vascular research...
- Focus on lymphangiogenesis in tumor metastasisMarc G Achen
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Cancer Cell 7:121-7. 2005
- VEGF-D promotes tumor metastasis by regulating prostaglandins produced by the collecting lymphatic endotheliumTara Karnezis
Tumour Angiogenesis Program, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Cancer Cell 21:181-95. 2012..Collecting lymphatics therefore play an active and important role in metastasis and may provide a therapeutic target to restrict tumor spread...
- Intestinal lymphatic drug transport: an updateC J Porter
Department of Pharmaceutics, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University Parkville Campus, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 50:61-80. 2001..Finally the possible future directions for studies of intestinal lymphatic transport are discussed, including the use of cell culture models and genetically modified animals...
- The physiology of the lymphatic systemM A Swartz
Departments of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 50:3-20. 2001This paper presents an overview of the anatomy, physiology, and biology of the lymphatic system specifically relevant to lymphatic drug delivery...
- Molecular control of lymphangiogenesisMegan E Baldwin
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Bioessays 24:1030-40. 2002..The capacity to induce lymphangiogenesis by manipulation of the VEGF-C/VEGF-D/VEGFR-3 signaling pathway offers new opportunities to understand the function of the lymphatic system and to develop novel treatments for lymphatic disorders.
- Lymphatic vessels in cancer metastasis: bridging the gapsRamin Shayan
Angiogenesis Laboratory, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, PO Box 2008, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria 3050, Australia
Carcinogenesis 27:1729-38. 2006..groups of clinical researchers and basic scientists have been working to unravel the mysteries of the lymphatic system. This review aims to summarize these contributions, in terms of the history, identification, structure and ..
- Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor induces lymphangiogenesis as well as angiogenesisJanice A Nagy
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Exp Med 196:1497-506. 2002..These findings raise the possibility that similar, abnormal lymphatics develop in other pathologies in which VEGF-A is overexpressed, e.g., malignant tumors and chronic inflammation...
- Isolated lymphatic endothelial cells transduce growth, survival and migratory signals via the VEGF-C/D receptor VEGFR-3T Makinen
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, and Helsinki University Hospital, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
EMBO J 20:4762-73. 2001..The culture of isolated lymphatic endothelial cells should now allow further studies of the molecular properties of these cells...
- The lymphatic system in body homeostasis: physiological conditionsWaldemar L Olszewski
Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Science, Warsaw, Poland
Lymphat Res Biol 1:11-21; discussion 21-4. 2003The lymphatic system is an organized network composed of functionally interrelated lymphoid tissue, and transportation pathways of tissue fluid/lymph and lymphoid cells. Its main components are 1...
- Interstitial flow as a guide for lymphangiogenesisKendrick C Boardman
Chemical Engineering Department, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan, Evanston, Ill 60208 3107, USA
Circ Res 92:801-8. 2003The lymphatic system is important in tissue fluid balance regulation, immune cell trafficking, edema, and cancer metastasis, yet very little is known about the sequence of events that initiate and coordinate lymphangiogenesis...
- Conjunctival lymphatic systemDaljit Singh
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:632-3. 2003
- Scintigraphic investigations of the lymphatic system: the influence of injected volume and quantity of labeled colloidal tracerPierre Bourgeois
Service of Nuclear Medicine, Institut Jules Bordet, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
J Nucl Med 48:693-5. 2007..The aim of the present study was to evaluate whether and how volume and quantity quantitatively affect lymphoscintigraphic results...
- The secreted lymphangiogenic factor CCBE1 is essential for fetal liver erythropoiesisZhiying Zou
Department of Medicine and Cardiovascular Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 121:3228-36. 2013..Our findings reveal that CCBE1 plays an essential role in regulating the fetal liver erythropoietic environment and suggest that EBI formation is regulated differently in the fetal liver and bone marrow...
- Concurrent induction of lymphangiogenesis, angiogenesis, and macrophage recruitment by vascular endothelial growth factor-C in melanomaM Skobe
Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Am J Pathol 159:893-903. 2001..Taken together, our results identify VEGF-C as multifunctional factor involved in regulating tumor lymphangiogenesis, angiogenesis, and immune response...
- New insights into the biology and pathology of the cutaneous lymphatic systemSatoshi Hirakawa
Cutaneous Biology Research Center and Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Dermatol Sci 35:1-8. 2004The cutaneous lymphatic system plays an important role in the maintenance of tissue fluid homeostasis, in the afferent phase of the immune response, and in the metastatic spread of skin cancers...
- Intestinal lymphatic transport of halofantrine in rats assessed using a chylomicron flow blocking approach: the influence of polysorbate 60 and 80Marianne L Lind
Department of Pharmaceutics and Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 2, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Pharm Sci 35:211-8. 2008..The fraction of halofantrine transported to the lymphatic system was determined as the difference between the bioavailability in saline-pretreated rats and cycloheximide-..
- Evaluation of a chylomicron flow blocking approach to investigate the intestinal lymphatic transport of lipophilic drugsArik Dahan
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Eur J Pharm Sci 24:381-8. 2005..In conclusion, the chemical blockage of chylomicron flow provides a potential approach for lymphatic transport investigation, and may elucidate processes involving in the absorption of lipophilic compounds...
- Anatomy and physiology of lymphatic drainage of the breast from the perspective of sentinel node biopsyP J Tanis
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam
J Am Coll Surg 192:399-409. 2001Knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system is helpful when considering a particular sentinel node biopsy technique...
- Ultrastructural studies define soluble macromolecular, particulate, and cellular transendothelial cell pathways in venules, lymphatic vessels, and tumor-associated microvessels in man and animalsDian Feng
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Microsc Res Tech 57:289-326. 2002....
- Prox1 function is required for the development of the murine lymphatic systemJ T Wigle
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Cell 98:769-78. 1999The lack of specific markers has raised problems in documenting the precise manner by which the lymphatic system develops...
- Low doses of hepadnavirus induce infection of the lymphatic system that does not engage the liverTomasz I Michalak
Molecular Virology and Hepatology Research, Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Health Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland A1B 3V6, Canada
J Virol 78:1730-8. 2004..related to human hepatitis B virus and is considered to be principally hepatotropic, invades the host's lymphatic system and persists in lymphoid cells independently of whether the infection is symptomatic and serologically ..
- Lymphatic system: a prospective area for advanced targeting of particulate drug carriersIndu Singh
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Department of Pharmaceutics, Hyderabad 500037, India 91 40 27193004, 91 40 23073741 91 40 27193753, 91 40 23073751
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 11:211-29. 2014The lymphatic system has a critical role in the immune system's recognition and response to disease and it is an additional circulatory system throughout the entire body...
- Pathways of lymphatic drainage from the breastS D Nathanson
Department of Surgery, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 8:837-43. 2001..We hypothesized that common lymphatic trunks drain both a large volume of breast parenchyma and skin and that intradermal or intraparenchymal routes flow to the same axillary node...
- Advanced drug delivery to the lymphatic system: lipid-based nanoformulationsArshad Ali Khan
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Minden, Penang, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 8:2733-44. 2013The delivery of drugs and bioactive compounds via the lymphatic system is complex and dependent on the physiological uniqueness of the system...
- Examination of lymphatic transport of puerarin in unconscious lymph duct-cannulated rats after administration in microemulsion drug delivery systemsHongfei Wu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Anhui University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Anhui Province, China
Eur J Pharm Sci 42:348-53. 2011..The results imply that the pharmaceutical scientist may use microemulsion formulations to optimize lymph-targeting drug delivery systems, by improving the extent of lymphatic transport...
- Nonenhanced magnetic resonance lymphoductography: visualization of lymphatic system of the trunk on 3-dimensional heavily T2-weighted image with 2-dimensional prospective acquisition and correctionSatoshi Matsushima
Department of Radiology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 31:299-302. 2007..T2-weighted images obtained with 2-dimensional prospective acquisition and correction in visualization of the lymphatic system of the trunk...
- The cardiac lymphatic systemMarios Loukas
Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine, St George s University, Grenada, West Indies
Clin Anat 24:684-91. 2011The lymphatic system, a network of vessels carrying clear interstitial fluid called lymph, is found throughout the human body...
- Imaging the lymphatic system: possibilities and clinical applicationsOlivier Clement
Service de Radiologie, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20 rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex 15, France
Eur Radiol 14:1498-507. 2004The lymphatic system is anatomically complex and difficult to image. Lymph ducts are responsible for the drainage of part of the body's interstitial fluid...
- Autopsy case of congenital pulmonary lymphangiectasisHiroshi Hirano
Second Department of Pathology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Hyogo, Japan
Pathol Int 54:532-6. 2004..The clinical behavior and prognosis of CPL depend on the extent of pulmonary involvement of the lymphatic dilatations regardless of systemic lymphatic dilations...
- T1alpha/podoplanin deficiency disrupts normal lymphatic vasculature formation and causes lymphedemaVivien Schacht
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
EMBO J 22:3546-56. 2003..These data identify T1alpha/podoplanin as a novel critical player that regulates different key aspects of lymphatic vasculature formation...
- Abnormal lymphatic vessel development in neuropilin 2 mutant miceLi Yuan
INSERM U36, College de France, 11, place Marcelin Berthelot, 75005 Paris, France
Development 129:4797-806. 2002..Arteries, veins and larger, collecting lymphatic vessels developed normally, suggesting that neuropilin 2 is selectively required for the formation of small lymphatic vessels and capillaries...
- Microangiopathy of cutaneous blood and lymphatic capillaries in chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)U K Franzeck
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, , Switzerland
Yale J Biol Med 66:37-46. 1993..These findings demonstrate a special lymphatic microangiopathy in CVI, suggesting an additional lymphatic component in the edema formation...
- Assessment of the lymphatic system in patients with diffuse lymphangiomatosis by magnetic resonance imagingChristian Lohrmann
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106 Freiburg i Br, Germany
Eur J Radiol 80:576-81. 2011To assess the lymphatic system in patients with diffuse lymphangiomatosis by magnetic resonance imaging.
- Chronic lower extremity lymphedema: a comparative study of high-resolution interstitial MR lymphangiography and heavily T2-weighted MRIQing Lu
Department of Radiology, Shanghai Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, 1630 Dong Fang Rd, Shanghai 200127, China
Eur J Radiol 73:365-73. 2010..To assess the role of heavily T2-weighted image and interstitial MR lymphangiography (MRL) for the visualization of lymphatic vessels in patients with disorders of the lymphatic circulation...
- Role of the lymphatic system in the pathogenesis of Crohn's diseasePierre Yves von der Weid
Inflammation Research Network and Smooth Muscle Research Group, Snyder Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 27:335-41. 2011..The lymphatic system is re-emerging as a critical player in inflammatory and immune processes and the purpose of this review is to ..
- Tumor lymphangiogenesis in inflammatory breast carcinoma: a histomorphometric studyIlse Van der Auwera
Translational Cancer Research Group Antwerp, Laboratory of Pathology, University of Antwerp University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Clin Cancer Res 11:7637-42. 2005At the time of diagnosis, metastatic dissemination of tumor cells via the lymphatic system has occurred in nearly all patients with inflammatory breast cancer (IBC)...
- Manual techniques addressing the lymphatic system: origins and developmentBruno J Chikly
Medical Faculty of Paris
J Am Osteopath Assoc 105:457-64. 2005
- Lymphatic system as a path underlying the spread of lung and gut injury after intestinal ischemia/reperfusion in ratsGabriela Cavriani
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Shock 23:330-6. 2005We investigated in rats the influence of the lymphatic system and of tumor necrosis factor (TNF) on the lung inflammation resulting from intestinal ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) performed by 45-min occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery ..
- A model and reference data for retrospective dose assessment of organ doses (red bone marrow, lymphatic system) in diagnostic radiography and nuclear medicine, 1946-1995H von Boetticher
Institute for Radiology, Klinikum Links der Weser, Bremen, Germany
Health Phys 92:315-31. 2007..The model and the results can be readily extended to different countries with different technical advancement and standard of radiologic practice...
- Arnold Heller and the lymph pumpK Aukland
Institute for Biomedicin, Physiology Section, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Acta Physiol Scand 185:171-80. 2005..Recently it has been shown that passive lymph flow may add to active propulsion. Both mechanisms depend on lymph formation, i.e. the uptake of interstitial fluid by the initial lymph vessels which is still not well understood...
- Lymphatic system: a vital link between metabolic syndrome and inflammationSanjukta Chakraborty
Division of Lymphatic Biology, Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Texas A and M Health Science Center College of Medicine, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1207:E94-102. 2010..However, despite the overlap of metabolic syndrome pathology with lymphatic function, tangent effects on the lymphatic system have not been extensively documented...
- The new era of the lymphatic system: no longer secondary to the blood vascular systemInho Choi
Department of Surgery, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2:a006445. 2012..Although the blood system has been studied extensively, the lymphatic system has received much less scientific and medical attention because of its elusive morphology and mysterious ..
- The pathomechanism of posttraumatic edema of the lower limbs: II--Changes in the lymphatic systemGrzegorz Szczesny
Department of Surgical Research and Transplantology, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
J Trauma 55:350-4. 2003The peripheral lymphatic system reacts to penetrating microorganisms and self-antigens released from tissues and cells damaged by trauma or intracellular pathogens...
- Use of an artificial lymphatic system during carboplatin infusion to improve canine osteosarcoma blood flow and clinical responseGene R DiResta
Orthopaedic Surgical Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York, 10021 6007, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:2411-21. 2007The artificial lymphatic system (ALS), a mechanical system designed to reduce increased interstitial fluid pressure in solid tumors and enhance the delivery of chemotherapy, was evaluated within a randomized clinical trial treating ..
- Superficial lymphatic system of the upper torso: preliminary radiographic results in human cadaversHiroo Suami
Jack Brockhoff Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Research Unit, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:1231-9. 2008..Despite increasing clinical information, the basic anatomy of the superficial lymphatic system of the upper torso has not been fully elucidated.
- Molecular regulation of lymphatic contractilityMariappan Muthuchamy
Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, College of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute Division of Lymphatic Biology, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1131:89-99. 2008The lymphatic system plays critical roles in body fluid and macromolecular homeostasis, lipid absorption, immune function, and metastasis...
- Growth factors controlling angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesisKari Alitalo
Ugeskr Laeger 164:3170-2. 2002
- Modelling the lymphatic system: challenges and opportunitiesK N Margaris
Department of Bioengineering, University of Strathclyde, 106 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NW, UK
J R Soc Interface 9:601-12. 2012The lymphatic system is a vital part of the circulatory and immune systems, and plays an important role in homeostasis by controlling extracellular fluid volume and in combating infection...
- Determinants of valve gating in collecting lymphatic vessels from rat mesenteryMichael J Davis
Dept of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, Univ of Missouri School of Medicine, 1 Hospital Dr, Rm M451, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H48-60. 2011..Similarly, the pressure gradient required for valve opening varied sixfold with vessel distention. Finally, our functional evidence supports the concept that lymphatic muscle tone exerts an indirect effect on valve gating...
- [Lymphatic system: Anatomy, histology and physiology]Isabelle Quere
CHU Saint Eloi, Universite de Montpellier I, centre de compétence maladies lymphatiques constitutionnelles, Service de Medecine Vasculaire, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Presse Med 39:1269-78. 2010Our knowledge of the anatomy of the lymphatic system may have changed little, if at all, since the first descriptions of this system in the 17th and 18th centuries, but the identification of specific markers of lymphatic endothelial cells ..
- The role of the lymphatic system in vaccine trafficking and immune responseIvy Pal
School of Chemical Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 63:909-22. 2011..A thorough understanding of the lymphatic system is essential considering the role it plays in antigen trafficking and all immunological activity...
- Existence of the lymphatic system in the primate corpus luteumFuhua Xu
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 7:159-68. 2009To date, there have been no detailed studies on the lymphatic system in the primate corpus luteum (CL); early reports suggested that the presence of this "secondary circulation" in luteal tissue is species-dependant...
- Intrinsic pump-conduit behavior of lymphangionsChristopher M Quick
College of Veterinary Medicine, 4466 Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4466, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R1510-8. 2007..This analysis may explain a possible physiological benefit of the observed flow-mediated inhibition of the lymphatic pump at high flow rates...
- Physiology of human lymphatic contractility: a historical perspectiveA A Gashev
Department of Medical Physiology, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station 77843-1114, USA
Lymphology 34:124-34. 2001The lymphatic system is a transport system that has important roles in fluid/macromolecule homeostasis, lipid absorption, metastasis and immune function...
- "Artificial lymphatic system": a new approach to reduce interstitial hypertension and increase blood flow, pH and pO2 in solid tumorsG R DiResta
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center s Department of Surgery Orthopaedic Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 28:543-55. 2000A mechanical drainage system, the "artificial lymphatic system" (ALS), consisting of a vacuum source and drain, is evaluated for its ability to aspirate the interstitial fluids responsible for the elevated interstitial fluid pressure (IFP)..
- Pancreatic lymphatic system in rodentsM Regoli
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Siena, I-53100 Siena, Italy
Anat Rec 263:155-60. 2001..This research is aimed to supply the morphologic basis to outline the involvement of the lymphatic system in pancreatic pathology...
- Identification of vascular lineage-specific genes by transcriptional profiling of isolated blood vascular and lymphatic endothelial cellsSatoshi Hirakawa
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Am J Pathol 162:575-86. 2003....
- Prox1 is a master control gene in the program specifying lymphatic endothelial cell fateYoung Kwon Hong
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Dev Dyn 225:351-7. 2002....
- Proprotein convertases promote processing of VEGF-D, a critical step for binding the angiogenic receptor VEGFR-2Bradley K McColl
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria 3050, Australia
FASEB J 21:1088-98. 2007..The finding that PCs promote activation of VEGF-D and other proteins with roles in cancer such as matrix metalloproteinases, emphasizes the importance of these enzymes as potential regulators of tumor progression and metastasis...
- Expression of D2-40 in lymphatic endothelium of normal tissues and in vascular tumoursM Fukunaga
Department of Pathology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Histopathology 46:396-402. 2005..D2-40 is a novel monoclonal antibody to a Mr 40 000 O-linked sialoglycoprotein that reacts with a fixation-resistant epitope in lymphatic endothelium...
- Molecular lymphangiogenesis: new playersTuomas Tammela
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Helsinki University Central Hospital, POB 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Trends Cell Biol 15:434-41. 2005..This review provides an overview of the molecular players involved in lymphangiogenesis, with special emphasis on recently discovered molecular mechanisms...
- Effect of poloxamer 188 on lymphatic uptake of carvedilol-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles for bioavailability enhancementBaboota Sanjula
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
J Drug Target 17:249-56. 2009..05) than that of carvedilol suspension (1.27 +/- 0.23 microgh/mL). These findings augur well with the possibility of enhancement of the oral bioavailability of drug, via the lymphatic system bypassing hepatic first pass metabolism.
- PDGF-BB induces intratumoral lymphangiogenesis and promotes lymphatic metastasisRenhai Cao
Laboratory of Angiogenesis Research, Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Cell 6:333-45. 2004Cancer metastases are commonly found in the lymphatic system. Like tumor blood angiogenesis, stimulation of tumor lymphangiogenesis may require the interplay of several tumor-derived growth factors...
- Functional interaction of VEGF-C and VEGF-D with neuropilin receptorsTerhi Karpanen
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedicum Helsinki, P O B 63, FI 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
FASEB J 20:1462-72. 2006..Our results show that NP2 is directly involved in an active signaling complex with the key regulators of lymphangiogenesis and thus suggest a mechanism by which NP2 functions in the development of the lymphatic vasculature...
- Plasmin activates the lymphangiogenic growth factors VEGF-C and VEGF-DBradley K McColl
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria 3050, Australia
J Exp Med 198:863-8. 2003..Identification of an enzyme that activates the lymphangiogenic growth factors will facilitate development of inhibitors of metastasis...
- Up-regulation of the lymphatic marker podoplanin, a mucin-type transmembrane glycoprotein, in human squamous cell carcinomas and germ cell tumorsVivien Schacht
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Pathol 166:913-21. 2005....
- Examination of oral absorption and lymphatic transport of halofantrine in a triple-cannulated canine model after administration in self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS) containing structured triglyceridesRene Holm
Department of Pharmaceutics, The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Universitetsparken 2, 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Pharm Sci 20:91-7. 2003..This could indicate the utility of disperse lipid-base formulations based on structured triglycerides for the oral delivery of halofantrine, and potentially other lipophilic drugs...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor C promotes tumor lymphangiogenesis and intralymphatic tumor growthT Karpanen
Molecular/Cancer Biology Laboratory, Haartman Institute and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Res 61:1786-90. 2001..Our data suggest that VEGF-C facilitates tumor metastasis via the lymphatic vessels and that tumor spread can be inhibited by blocking the interaction between VEGF-C and its receptor...
- Animal models for the molecular and mechanistic study of lymphatic biology and diseaseWilliam S Shin
Stanford Center for Lymphatic and Venous Disorders, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1131:50-74. 2008The development of animal model systems for the study of the lymphatic system has resulted in an explosion of information regarding the mechanisms governing lymphatic development and the diseases associated with lymphatic dysfunction...
- LYVE-1 is not restricted to the lymph vessels: expression in normal liver blood sinusoids and down-regulation in human liver cancer and cirrhosisC Mouta Carreira
Steele Laboratory for Tumor Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 100 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cancer Res 61:8079-84. 2001..Finally, the presence of LYVE-1 in liver sinusoidal endothelia suggests that LYVE-1 has functions beyond the lymph vascular system...
- Isolation and characterization of dermal lymphatic and blood endothelial cells reveal stable and functionally specialized cell lineagesE Kriehuber
Division of Immunology, Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Department of Dermatology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
J Exp Med 194:797-808. 2001..These results demonstrate that LECs and BECs constitute stable and specialized EC lineages equipped with the potential to navigate leukocytes and, perhaps also, tumor cells into and out of the tissues...
- Tea catechins with a galloyl moiety suppress postprandial hypertriacylglycerolemia by delaying lymphatic transport of dietary fat in ratsIkuo Ikeda
Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, Graduate School of Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Nutr 135:155-9. 2005..Because postprandial hypertriacylglycerolemia is a risk factor for coronary heart disease, our results suggest that catechins with a galloyl moiety may prevent this disease...
- Animal models for the study of lymphatic insufficiencyWilliam S Shin
Stanford Center for Lymphatic and Venous Disorders, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 1:159-69. 2003..Such models will help to refine the assessment of various therapeutic approaches and their potential applicability to human disease interventions...
- Role of the gut lymphatic system in multiple organ failureE A Deitch
Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Room G 506, 185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 7:92-8. 2001..Finally, it would help explain the discordant results between experimental and some clinical studies on the role of gut injury and loss of gut barrier function in the development of a systemic inflammatory state and distant organ injury...
- MR imaging of the lymphatic system in patients with lipedema and lipo-lymphedemaChristian Lohrmann
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Microvasc Res 77:335-9. 2009To assess for the first time the morphology of the lymphatic system in patients with lipedema and lipo-lymphedema of the lower extremities by MR lymphangiography.
- Lymphangiogenesis and lymphangiodysplasia: from molecular to clinical lymphologyM H Witte
Department of Surgery, The University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5063, USA
Microsc Res Tech 55:122-45. 2001....
- Role of the lymphoreticular system in prion neuroinvasion from the oral and nasal mucosaRichard A Bessen
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, P O Box 173610, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
J Virol 83:6435-45. 2009....
- The rediscovery of the lymphatic system: old and new insights into the development and biological function of the lymphatic vasculatureGuillermo Oliver
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Genes Dev 16:773-83. 2002
- Vascular growth factors and lymphangiogenesisLotta Jussila
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Finland
Physiol Rev 82:673-700. 2002..vessels were discovered already 300 years ago, at the same time as the blood circulation was described, the lymphatic system has remained relatively neglected until recently...
- Blockade of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-3 signaling inhibits fibroblast growth factor-2-induced lymphangiogenesis in mouse corneaHajime Kubo
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, POB 63, Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8868-73. 2002..Because increased expression of FGF-2 and VEGF-C has been associated with lymphatic metastasis, our results provide a potential strategy for the inhibition of lymphatic metastasis in cancer therapy...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-C-mediated lymphangiogenesis promotes tumour metastasisS J Mandriota
Department of Morphology, University Medical Centre, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
EMBO J 20:672-82. 2001..These mice frequently developed pancreatic lymph node metastases. Our findings demonstrate that VEGF-C-induced lymphangiogenesis mediates tumour cell dissemination and the formation of lymph node metastases...
- Molecular targeting of liposomal nano-particles to lymphatic systemNguyen Van Cuong
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University, 200 Chung Pei Rd, Chung Li, Taiwan 32023, R O China
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 11:147-55. 2011..The lymphatic system is an important highway to spread the metastasis of most human cancers including breast, colon, and lung, ..
- Inhibition of the active lymph pump by flow in rat mesenteric lymphatics and thoracic ductAnatoliy A Gashev
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 336 Reynolds Medical Building, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
J Physiol 540:1023-37. 2002..Exposure to NO mimicked the effects of flow, and inhibition of the NO synthase by N (G)-monomethyl-L-arginine attenuated but did not completely abolish the effects of flow...
- Cannulation of the cardiac lymphatic system in swineJ F Vazquez-Jimenez
Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, Universitätsklinikum RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057, Aachen, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 18:228-32. 2000..The purpose of this study was to investigate the cardiac lymphatic anatomy of the swine and to develop a reliable cannulation technique to collect the lymph...
- Regulation of blood and lymphatic vascular separation by signaling proteins SLP-76 and SykFarhad Abtahian
Signal Transduction Program, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 299:247-51. 2003..These studies reveal a hematopoietic signaling pathway required for separation of the two major vascular networks in mammals...
- Lymphatic function, lymphangiogenesis, and cancer metastasisM A Swartz
Department of Biomedical and Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Microsc Res Tech 55:92-9. 2001The lymphatic system serves as the primary route for the metastasis of many cancers and the extent of lymph node involvement is the most important indicator of tumor aggressiveness...
- Sympathetic innervation of lymphoreticular organs is rate limiting for prion neuroinvasionM Glatzel
Institute of Neuropathology, University Hospital Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 12, CH-8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuron 31:25-34. 2001..We conclude that sympathetic innervation of lymphoid organs is rate limiting for prion neuroinvasion and that splenic sympathetic nerves may act as extracerebral prion reservoirs...
- Lymphatic system: unlocking the drainsPhyllida Brown
Nature 436:456-8. 2005
- Absence of lymphangiogenesis and intratumoural lymph vessels in human metastatic breast cancerCory S M Williams
Nuffield Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
J Pathol 200:195-206. 2003....
- Evidence for a second valve system in lymphatics: endothelial microvalvesJ Trzewik
Department of Bioengineering, The Whitaker Institute for Biomedical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093-0412, USA
FASEB J 15:1711-7. 2001..In conjunction with the classical (secondary) intralymphatic valves, the primary valves provide the mechanism that facilitates the unidirectional flow during periodic compression and expansion of initial lymphatics...
- Lymphangiogenesis in malignant tumours: Does it occur?R Clarijs
Department of Pathology, University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pathol 193:143-6. 2001..been unclear, but since these particular tumour types are also known for their propensity to spread via the lymphatic system, it may be speculated that the presence of a pre-existing lymphatic bed and the formation of new lymphatics (..
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis: a disease involving the lymphatic systemKuniaki Seyama
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Lymphat Res Biol 8:21-31. 2010..The identification of LCCs in chylous effusion together with the characteristic clinical manifestations can therefore be an alternative for a lung biopsy if LAM patients are complicated with chylous effusion...
- Effects of autotransplanted lymph node fragments on the lymphatic system in the pig modelK S Blum
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, OE 8210, Medical School of Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 120:59-66. 2010..so far, therefore we wanted to show the reintegration of transplanted avascular lymph node fragments in the lymphatic system and positive effects of the transplanted fragments on the restoration of the lymphatic flow in this study...
- Review article: lymphatic system and associated adipose tissue in the development of inflammatory bowel diseaseP Y von der Weid
Snyder Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32:697-711. 2010The lymphatic system plays critical roles in tissue fluid homoeostasis, immune defence and metabolic maintenance...
- Drug delivery to the lymphatic system: importance in future cancer diagnosis and therapiesYumei Xie
University of Kansas, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Lawrence, KS 66047, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 6:785-92. 2009..This combination has the potential to both reduce nonspecific organ toxicities and increase the chemotherapeutic dose to the most likely sites of locoregional cancer metastasis...
- Adenoviral VEGF-C overexpression induces blood vessel enlargement, tortuosity, and leakiness but no sprouting angiogenesis in the skin or mucous membranesAnne Saaristo
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedicum, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
FASEB J 16:1041-9. 2002..These results show that virally produced VEGF-C induces blood vessel changes, including vascular leak, but its angiogenic potency is much reduced compared with VEGF in normal skin...
- The lymphatic system in health and diseaseLeah N Cueni
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Lymphat Res Biol 6:109-22. 2008..There is growing evidence that the lymphatic system also contributes to a number of diseases, such as lymphedema, cancer metastasis and different inflammatory ..
- Tumor Microenvironment Interactions in Brain TumorsEric C Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, the brain lacks a lymphatic system, and is considered an immunologically privileged organ, relying on the blood-brain barrier (BBS) to exclude ..
- Cholesterol and Lymphatic Transport of Molecules and CellsMelody A Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..The lymphatic system participates centrally in returning HDL to the bloodstream via the thoracic duct, and it also absorbs ..
- The lymph node microenvionment in tumor metastasisJudith A Varner; Fiscal Year: 2012..lymph nodes even in the absence of a primary tumor when tumor cells were injected directly into the lymphatic system. This homing could be blocked by suppressing lymphangiogenesis with antagonists of integrin ?4?1 or VEGF-R3...
- Molecular Basis of Nuchal EdemaYoung Kwon Hong; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although NE has been reported to be associated with disturbed development of the lymphatic system, the molecular basis of NE is currently unknown...
- Proinflammatory Biomarkers and Post-Breast CancerLymphedemaMei Rosemary Fu; Fiscal Year: 2012..cancer LE, a syndrome of abnormal swelling and multiple distressing symptoms, is caused by injuries to the lymphatic system from cancer treatment...
- Fluorescein for Sentinel Lymph Node DetectionJames M McGreevy; Fiscal Year: 2012..an operation for breast cancer, malignant melanoma, and other types of cancer that metastasize by way of the lymphatic system. The direct fluorescent visualization technology being developed by Vestan Medical Imaging, Inc...
- Role of mesenteric lymphatics and dietary endotoxin in metabolic syndromeDAVID CARL ZAWIEJA; Fiscal Year: 2013..high-fat diet-induced MetSyn rat models and a LPS-induced inflammation model to determine the roles of the lymphatic system in the pathophysiology of MetSyn...
- The role of lymphatic contraction in inflammation and cancer metastasisShan Liao; Fiscal Year: 2013..cause of lymphedema world-wide is lymphatic filariasis caused by mosquito-borne parasitic infections of the lymphatic system. Globally, it is estimated that there are 120 million filiarial infections, with over 1...
- Mechanisms of the Age-related Alterations in Lymphatic PumpingAnatoliy A Gashev; Fiscal Year: 2012The major task of the lymphatic system is lymph transport. This system of vessels and nodes is designed to transport fluid, soluble molecules and cells from the interstitium through the lymph nodes to the central veins...
- Regulation of Pancreatic Tumor Progression by Disabled-2Barbara A Hocevar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Part of this is due to the rapid metastasis of pancreatic cancer to the lymphatic system, as well as other organs such as the liver and lungs...
- Mechanisms of rapid paravascular fluid transport in the brainJeffrey J Iliff; Fiscal Year: 2012..The brain does not have a conventional lymphatic system, so metabolic waste is cleared from brain extracellular fluid by its transport along the basal lamina, a ..
- Color-Coded Imaging of Pancreatic Cancer Microenvironment for Drug DiscoveryMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cells delivered to the lymphatic system are recorded on video in real-time leaving the inguinal lymph node and entering the axillary lymph node...
- Role of TNFa in Osteoclast-Mediated Bone LossLianping Xing; Fiscal Year: 2012..But its role in osteoclast function has not been investigated and little is known about the role of the lymphatic system in the pathogenesis of joint destruction in RA...
- Role of a9b1 Integrin in lymphangiogenesisNicholas E Vlahakis; Fiscal Year: 2010..To date the biology of the lymphatic system has largely been ignored, however recently it has become clear this has been a mistake since human diseases ..
- Failure of metabolite clearance in a model of multi-lacunar infarctsMaiken Nedergaard; Fiscal Year: 2013..which we designate the 'glymphatic system'- subserves a function homologous to the peripheral lymphatic system, and is essential for the clearance of metabolic waste products from the CNS...
- SYNTHESIS AND BIOTRANSFORMATION OF ANTI-HIV PRODRUGSChung K Chu; Fiscal Year: 2010..In order to further improve the potency, bioavailability, and selective targeted delivery to the lymphatic system and brain, we propose several prodrugs of DAPD...
- The glymphatic system, a new concept in glia biologyMaiken Nedergaard; Fiscal Year: 2013Virtually unique among somatic tissues, the brain and spinal cord lack a lymphatic system. Despite the high metabolic activity and fragility of neural tissue, there exists no effective understanding of the means by which interstitial ..
- Quantifying the role of load-induced remodeling in lymphedema progressionJAMES BRANDON DIXON; Fiscal Year: 2013..altering the tissue microenvironment and further compromising fluid, protein, and lipid transport by the lymphatic system. This hypothesis will be tested through two Specific Aims: 1) Quantify the growth and remodeling response of ..
- Therapeutic Lymphatic Collecting Vessel Regeneration by Directed Fluid FlowJeremy Goldman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because swelling of the arm follows injury to the lymphatic system, it has been hypothesized that increased lymphatic growth via growth factor mediated lymphangiogenesis of the ..
- The Role of Lymphangiogenesis in IBD PathogenesisClaudio Fiocchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, the lymphatic system is closely associated with the immune response by providing an extensive network of vessels responsible for ..
- Microparticle Capture-Based Analysis of Lymph Node ProteomeSerguei Popov; Fiscal Year: 2013..pestis, F. tularenis, and B. anthracis. In the case of B. anthracis, the lymphatic system serves as the conduit by which germinating spores are delivered by macrophages to the sentinel lymph nodes (..
- Mechanisms of Lymphatic Pump-Enhancement of Immune FunctionLISA MICHELLE HODGE; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, this new information will expand basic understanding of the lymphatic system and its role in immunological function...
- Atherogenic role of T cell modulation by intestinal bacteriaDebbie Beasley; Fiscal Year: 2013..development within the intestinal wall of IL-17-expressing T cells, which are then mobilized into the lymphatic system and recruited to sites of aortic inflammation, where they act locally by producing IL-17 and IFN-?, which ..
- Quantification of HIV Reservoirs in the Gut-Associated Lymphatic SystemSteven Yukl; Fiscal Year: 2013..The knowledge thus gained may ultimately contribute to new and improved therapies aimed at eradication or lifelong coexistence with HIV. ..
- Mechanisms of fibrosis and lymphatic dysfunction in post-surgical lymphedemaBABAK MEHRARA MEHRARA; Fiscal Year: 2013..the working hypothesis that impaired lymphatic function secondary to fibrosis is a consequence of indirect effects of T-cells and Th2 cytokines on the lymphatic system rather than down-regulation of lymphangiogenic cytokine expression.
- Development of Robust Culture Systems for the Human Splenic Littoral CellJOYCE DIANE FINGEROTH; Fiscal Year: 2013..overall organization of splenic white pulp is similar to that of lymph nodes, spleen is not connected to the lymphatic system. Instead, pathogens, RBCs, apoptotic/necrotic, altered and tumor cells all are delivered to and leave the ..
- Melatonin: pacemaker for nocturnal periodicity of microfilarial parasitesJEFFERSON ARCHER VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is caused by filarial nematodes (Wuchereria bancrofti and Brugia malayi) that inhabit the lymphatic system. To perpetuate their life cycle, inseminated adult female worms produce millions of microfilariae (mf) that ..
- The Six1/Eya Transcriptional complex as a mediator of lymphangiogenesis and lymphHeide L Ford; Fiscal Year: 2013..Spread of cancer cells occurs via blood vessels or, particularly important for breast cancer, via the lymphatic system. Although tumor dissemination via the blood has been extensively studied, the mechanisms that lead to ..
- Targeted Chemoprevention for MelanomaGavin P Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..chemopreventive agents exist to inhibit this cancer in its earliest forms or when cells are present in the lymphatic system in the proximity of the early primary lesion...
- Comparative In Vivo Biodistribution of Characterized Manufactured NanomaterialsNancy A Monteiro Riviere; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, we will specifically probe the involvement of the lymphatic system in MNM absorption and translocation...
- Prox1 in Mammalian LymphangiogenesisGUILLERMO C OLIVER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Malfunctions of the lymphatic system can lead to congenital or inherited disorders such as lymphedema, a disfiguring and disabling disorder that ..
- FOXC2 in Hereditary Lymphedema and Lymphatic DevelopmentThomas Glover; Fiscal Year: 2007The hereditary lymphedemas are developmental disorders of the lymphatic system that lead to disfiguring and often disabling edema (swelling) of the extremities together with various associated abnormalities...
- Ionic Mechanisms of Stretch-Activation in Muscular LymphaticsDAVID CARL ZAWIEJA; Fiscal Year: 2012To fulfill the roles the lymphatic system plays in body fluid regulation, macromolecular homeostasis, lipid absorption, immune function, it must transport lymph from the interstitium, along the lymphatic network, through the nodes, into ..
- 2010 Molecular Mechanisms in Lymphatic Function and Disease Gordon Research ConfeMichael J Detmar; Fiscal Year: 2010..into the mechanisms that control the function of the lymphatic vascular system, and into the role of the lymphatic system in human disease have experienced a dramatic growth within the last 10 years, largely due to the development ..
- Cyber Informatics Tools for Lymphedema StakeholdersChi Ren Shyu; Fiscal Year: 2012..to improve outcomes for patients with and at risk for lymphedema (LE), a chronic, progressive disease of the lymphatic system, often starting with seemingly innocuous superficial swelling of a limb which progresses to a distressing, ..
- Lymphatic Fluid Flow Modeling with Active Network ComponentsJames E Moore; Fiscal Year: 2012Summary The lymphatic system performs many crucial functions in health, gathering approximately 4 liters/day of interstitial fluid and returning it to the venous system...
- MASSAGE THERAPY FOR EXPERIMENTAL LYMPHEDEMAMarlys Witte; Fiscal Year: 2002..practical standardized LE animal model for detailed delineation of physiologic mechanisms/effects in the lymphatic system, and (lymph)edema postulated for a wide array of inadequately tested alternative/complementary approaches (e...
- SYNDECAN FUNCTION IN ENDOTHELIAL CELLSMichael Simons; Fiscal Year: 2013..Taken together these studies for the first time will paint a comprehensive picture of molecular signaling events and linked physical forces that underlie formation of the lymphatic system.
- MECHANISMS INVOLVED IN LYMPHATIC CONTRACTILE ACTIVITYDavid Zawieja; Fiscal Year: 2000..level of understanding about the roles and mechanisms of an important but poorly understood organ system, the lymphatic system. My immediate career objectives are to: establish a reputation for independent, quality scientific studies; ..
- Short-term mesenteric lymphatic adaptation to trauma-related intestinal edemaEmily Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The mesenteric lymphatic system plays a crucial role in limiting bowel edema by returning interstitial fluid to the blood stream...
- Physical Activity and Lymphedema Project (PAL Trial)Kathryn Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..daily living that require strenuous upper body work (shoveling snow, carrying children) would over-stress the lymphatic system. This proposal stems from compelling preliminary data from a 6 month randomized controlled trial of ..
- ENHANCED THERAPY RESPONSE IN OSTEOSARCOMAGENE DIRESTA; Fiscal Year: 2001..Tumors lack a functioning lymphatic system. Fluid buildup from leaky tumor capillaries is responsible for elevated IFP...
- PDAC-on-a-Chip for Selection of Aggressive, Therapy-Resistant Tumor CellsMICHAEL GAMCSIK; Fiscal Year: 2013..into a secondary oxygen-rich 'circulatory compartment'that mimics the tumor blood vessel or lymphatic system. The oxygen shock experienced by invasive cells further selects for circulation-viable cells likely ..
- Mechanisms That Mediate The Absence of Lymphatics in the RetinaPATRICIA D AMORE; Fiscal Year: 2009The lymphatic system plays a dual role: 1) draining interstitial fluid from tissues and returning it to the blood and, 2) participating in the immune response...
- FETAL LYMPH FLOW DYNAMICS AND CONTROLROBERT BRACE; Fiscal Year: 1993..Data generated thus far show that the lymphatic system in the fetus is uniquely different from that in the adult in that lymph flow rates and lymph protein fluxes ..
- TREATMENT OF MALIGNANT PLEURAL EFFUSIONSRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 1993..body cavities tend to remain for a prolonged period of time inside the cavity and are mainly drained by the lymphatic system. This may enhance the therapeutic effects of drugs incorporated in liposomes inside the cavity and in the ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF RECOVERY FROM INTERSTITIAL PULMONARY EDEMAE Jerome; Fiscal Year: 1990..interstitial edema to lung lymph flow, to test the hypothesis that there is little clearance via the lymphatic system. The data we obtain will clarify, quantitatively, the role of various pathways of lung interstitial liquid ..
- Genes important in breast cancer metastasisRobin Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Metastasis is a complex process in which cells migrate from the primary tumor to the blood or lymphatic system and hence to distant sites. Many cellular changes and interactions are required during this process...
- A Lymphatic-specific fluorescent transgenic modelYoung Kwon Hong; Fiscal Year: 2007..generation of a transgenic mouse line that expresses the red fluorescent protein (RFP) specifically in the lymphatic system. We plan to achieve this goal by undertaking 2 separate approaches...
- SYNTHESIS AND BIOTRANSFORMATION OF ANTIHIV PRODRUGSDavid Chu; Fiscal Year: 2000..There are at least two other major compartments which should be considered: the central nervous and the lymphatic system. In this application, Dr...
- The role of FoxM1 in pancreatic cancerAndrei Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2009..cancer is very deadly, because it is resistant to conventional treatments and it rapidly disseminates to the lymphatic system and remote organs...
- "MSM" A multi-scale approach for understanding antigen presentation in immunityDenise Kirschner; Fiscal Year: 2007..structured environment of the lymph node and ultimately by external compartmental dynamics of blood and the lymphatic system. A comprehensive understanding of the process of antigen presentation during an immune response will require ..
- Evaluation of Lymph Flow and FunctionDavid Zawieja; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because our understanding of many basic functions of the lymphatic system is still quite rudimentary, lymphatic involvement in these disease processes is grossly understudied making ..
- MICROVASCULAR CONTROL--VASCULARITY AND FLUID ENVIRONMENTTHOMAS ADAIR; Fiscal Year: 1992..on two major aspects of the microcirculation: (1) regulation of blood vessel growth, and (2) function of the lymphatic system. Strong support now exists for the metabolic theory of angiogenesis...
- CONQUERING LYMPHATIC DISEASE--SETTING THE RESEARCH AGENDMarlys Witte; Fiscal Year: 2000..System will foster adoption of varied basic and clinical research approaches that put the lymphatic system in perspective with regard to other body systems and its impact on the person; 3) Year 5-Building the ..
- Genital Herpes Vaccine DiscoveryGary Fujii; Fiscal Year: 2007..The small size of the liposomes ensures that they will readily distribute throughout the lymphatic system when administered subcutaneously resulting in high concentrations of antigen in immune tissues which should ..
- THE ORIGIN AND FORMATION OF RENAL LYMPHCHARLES O MORCHOE; Fiscal Year: 1980Studies concerning the structure and function of the renal lymphatic system are proposed...
- GENETIC STUDIES OF LYMPHEDEMADavid Finegold; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will ultimately lead to a better understanding of the developmental biology of the lymphatic system, and provide a means of identifying high risk individuals in lymphedema families, as well as the normal ..
- FLUID EXCHANGE IN EDEMATOUS LUNGSRobert Drake; Fiscal Year: 1992..The proposed studies should help to define the role of the pulmonary lymphatic system in the pulmonary edema caused by endotoxin.
- MODULATION OF LEYDIG CELL FUNCTION BY INTERLEUKIN-1Tu Lin; Fiscal Year: 1991..of a variety of cell types including Leydig cells, macrophages, fibroblasts and components of the blood and lymphatic system. In rats, testicular macrophages represent about 20% of the interstitial tissue profile in histologic ..
- Pressure stimulated cell adhesionMarc Basson; Fiscal Year: 2009..we have shown that increased extracellular pressure, such as may occur during passage through the venous or lymphatic system, during surgical procedures, or postoperatively due to increased intra-abdominal pressure, stimulates FAK-Src ..
- Lymphatic targeted tamoxifen for breast cancer therapyNandita Das; Fiscal Year: 2003..of this novel lymphatic targeted drug delivery system could provide a radical improvement in breast cancer treatment with TAM, with possible implications in reducing metastatic potential, as metastasis occurs via the lymphatic system.
- International Symposium on Cancer Metastasis and the Lymphovascular SystemSTANLEY LEONG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Whether the cancer spreads through the lymphatic system initially (incubator hypothesis) or simultaneosly through the lymphatic and vascular system (marker ..
- EMBRYONIC ORIGIN OF LYMPHATIC HEART MUSCLE MYOBLASTSGARY RADICE; Fiscal Year: 1999..to skeletal, smooth and cardiac muscle, many animals have an unusual muscle in the beating hearts of the lymphatic system (LHM muscle)...
- Next Generation Gamma Detector Arrays for High Resoluti*M CAPOTE; Fiscal Year: 2002..applications are mammography, clinical cardiology, in vivo auto radiography, neuroscience studies, and lymphatic system imaging. There exists a huge potential for in vivo expression studies in small animals...
- Solid State Gamma Ray Imaging Detectors, Novel PackagingM CAPOTE; Fiscal Year: 2003..applications are mammography, clinical cardiology, in vivo auto radiography, neuroscience studies, and lymphatic system imaging. There exists a huge potential for in vivo gene expression studies in small animals...