- Accuracy of urine circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) test for Schistosoma mansoni diagnosis in different settings of Côte d'Ivoire
Jean T Coulibaly
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1384. 2011
Promising results have been reported for a urine circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) test for the diagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni...
- Evaluation of circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) urine-tests for diagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni infection in Cameroon
Louis Albert Tchuem Tchuenté
Centre for Schistosomiasis and Parasitology, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1758. 2012
..We evaluated the accuracy of circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) urine-assay as a diagnostic tool of S. mansoni. In comparison, a low sensitive CCA test (CCA-L) was assessed.
- The human urinary proteome contains more than 1500 proteins, including a large proportion of membrane proteins
Department of Proteomics and Signal Transduction, Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Genome Biol 7:R80. 2006
b>Urine is a desirable material for the diagnosis and classification of diseases because of the convenience of its collection in large amounts; however, all of the urinary proteome catalogs currently being generated have limitations in ..
- Association of residual urine output with mortality, quality of life, and inflammation in incident hemodialysis patients: the Choices for Healthy Outcomes in Caring for End-Stage Renal Disease (CHOICE) Study
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224 2780, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:348-58. 2010
..b>Urine output may provide an estimate of RKF...
- Temporal profiling of human urine VOCs and its potential role under the ruins of collapsed buildings
Breath Research Institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Dornbirn, Austria
Toxicol Mech Methods 22:502-11. 2012
The scent profile of human urine was investigated as potential source of chemical markers of human presence in collapsed buildings after natural or man-made disasters.
- Generation of integration-free neural progenitor cells from cells in human urine
Key Laboratory of Regenerative Biology, South China Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, China
Nat Methods 10:84-9. 2013
..reprogramming factors with a chemically defined culture medium to reprogram epithelial-like cells from human urine into NPCs (hUiNPCs)...
- Saliva parameters as potential indices of hydration status during acute dehydration
Neil P Walsh
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, United Kingdom
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1535-42. 2004
..Secondly, we compared the sensitivity of saliva parameters to track hydration changes with the sensitivity of urine osmolality...
- An evaluation of urine-CCA strip test and fingerprick blood SEA-ELISA for detection of urinary schistosomiasis in schoolchildren in Zanzibar
J Russell Stothard
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, UK
Acta Trop 111:64-70. 2009
..of urinary schistosomiasis during ongoing control interventions, two commercially available diagnostic tests - the urine-circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) strip and the soluble egg antigen enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (SEA-ELISA) ..
- Urine testing as a surveillance tool to monitor the impact of HPV immunization programs
Scottish HPV Reference Laboratory, Directorate of Laboratory Medicine, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Med Virol 83:1983-7. 2011
..This study was designed to evaluate the performance of HPV testing in urine to assess its suitability for epidemiological and surveillance purposes...
- Monitoring for polyomavirus BK And JC in urine: comparison of quantitative polymerase chain reaction with urine cytology
Division of Transplant Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Transplantation 79:984-6. 2005
..the relative efficacy of exfoliative cytology and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for detecting viruria in 100 urine samples. Definite decoy cells were seen in 8% and probable decoy cells in 5% of specimens...
- Urine for the diagnosis of tuberculosis: current approaches, clinical applicability, and new developments
Lung Infection and Immunity Unit, Division of Pulmonology and Clinical Immunology and UCT Lung Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Curr Opin Pulm Med 16:262-70. 2010
b>Urine is increasingly being investigated as a convenient clinical sample for the identification of mycobacterial products for the diagnosis of tuberculosis...
- Urine in clinical proteomics
INSERM, U858 I2MR, Department of Cardiac and Renal Remodeling, Team 5, 1 avenue Jean Poulhes, BP 84225, 31432 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:1850-62. 2008
b>Urine has become one of the most attractive biofluids in clinical proteomics as it can be obtained non-invasively in large quantities and is stable compared with other biofluids...
- Human hydration indices: acute and longitudinal reference values
Lawrence E Armstrong
Human Performance Laboratory, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 20:145-53. 2010
..1 L/24 hr (range 1.382-3.261, 95% confidence interval 0.970-3.778 L/24 hr); mean urine volume was >1.3 L/24 hr (0.875-2.250 and 0.675-3.000 L/24 hr); mean urine specific gravity was >1.018 (1...
- PCA3: a molecular urine assay for predicting prostate biopsy outcome
Ina L Deras
Gen Probe, Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Urol 179:1587-92. 2008
..We further characterized PCA3 performance in different groups of men and determined whether the PCA3 score could synergize with other clinical information to predict biopsy outcome...
- Identification of a third human polyomavirus
Laboratory for Clinical Microbiology, Department of Clinical Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, L2 02, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Virol 81:4130-6. 2007
..5%) of 192 fecal samples but was not detected in sets of urine and blood samples...
- Diagnostic accuracy of a urine lipoarabinomannan test for tuberculosis in hospitalized patients in a High HIV prevalence setting
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University Center for Tuberculosis Research, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:145-51. 2009
Effective tuberculosis (TB) control in HIV-prevalent settings is hindered by absence of accurate, rapid TB diagnostic tests. We evaluated the accuracy of a urine lipoarabinomannan (LAM) test for TB diagnosis in South Africa.
- Lipoarabinomannan in urine during tuberculosis treatment: association with host and pathogen factors and mycobacteriuria
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town Faculty of Health Sciences, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 12:47. 2012
..However, the LAM-ELISA assay has demonstrated variable sensitivity in diagnosing TB in diverse clinical populations. We therefore explored pathogen and host factors potentially impacting LAM detection...
- Global metabolic profiling procedures for urine using UPLC-MS
Elizabeth J Want
Biomolecular Medicine, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Nat Protoc 5:1005-18. 2010
..The use of UPLC-MS for metabolic profiling in this way is not faster than the conventional HPLC-based methods but, because of improved chromatographic performance, provides superior metabolome coverage...
- Conditionally immortalized human podocyte cell lines established from urine
Kidney Disease Section, Kidney Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1268, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F557-67. 2010
Evidence suggests that loss of podocytes into urine contributes to development of glomerular diseases; shed podocytes are frequently viable and proliferate in culture conditions...
- Comparison of self-collected vaginal, vulvar and urine samples with physician-collected cervical samples for human papillomavirus testing to detect high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions
J W Sellors
Health Services Delivery Research Unit, Father Sean O Sullivan Research Centre, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 163:513-8. 2000
..We determined and compared the test characteristics of testing for HPV with samples obtained by patients and with samples obtained by their physicians...
- Excretion of West Nile virus in urine during acute infection
Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Infect Dis 208:1086-92. 2013
Detection of West Nile virus (WNV) RNA in urine has been anecdotally described and proposed for the diagnosis of WNV infection...
- Optimized siRNA-PEG conjugates for extended blood circulation and reduced urine excretion in mice
Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center iNANO and Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, C F Møllers Alle, Building 1130, 8000 Aarhus C, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Theranostics 3:201-9. 2013
..fluorescent imaging of the living animal showed increased concentration of siRNA in peripheral tissue and delayed urine excretion when coupled to PEG 20k...
- Detection of human papillomavirus DNA in urine. A review of the literature
Centre for Evaluation of Vaccination, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Medicine, Campus Drie Eiken, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610, Antwerpen, Belgium
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:627-40. 2012
The detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA in urine, a specimen easily obtained by a non-invasive self-sampling method, has been the subject of a considerable number of studies...
- Heavy schistosomiasis associated with poor short-term memory and slower reaction times in Tanzanian schoolchildren
M C H Jukes
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 7:104-17. 2002
- Prion disease detection, PMCA kinetics, and IgG in urine from sheep naturally/experimentally infected with scrapie and deer with preclinical/clinical chronic wasting disease
SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Neurology, Box 1213, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Virol 85:9031-8. 2011
..agent and limited, infrequent success of disease transmissibility and PrP(Sc) detection have been reported with urine from experimentally infected clinical cervids and rodents...
- The microbial communities in male first catch urine are highly similar to those in paired urethral swab specimens
Department of Biology, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19709. 2011
b>Urine is the CDC-recommended specimen for STI testing. It was unknown if the bacterial communities (microbiomes) in urine reflected those in the distal male urethra...
- Characteristic male urine microbiomes associate with asymptomatic sexually transmitted infection
David E Nelson
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e14116. 2010
- Comparative genomic analysis of pathogenic and probiotic Enterococcus faecalis isolates, and their transcriptional responses to growth in human urine
Heidi C Vebø
Laboratory of Microbial Gene Technology and Food Microbiology, Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, The Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
PLoS ONE 5:e12489. 2010
..have performed comparative genomic analysis, and investigated growth capacity and transcriptome profiling in human urine in vitro. Six strains of different origins were cultivated and all grew readily in human urine...
- Impact of quinolone restriction on resistance patterns of Escherichia coli isolated from urine by culture in a community setting
Bat Sheva Gottesman
Infectious Diseases Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 49:869-75. 2009
..Restoration of susceptibility once antimicrobial use is decreased is not self-evident. Our objective was to evaluate, in a community setting, the impact of quinolone restriction on the antimicrobial resistance of E. coli urine isolates.
- Individual recognition in mice mediated by major urinary proteins
J L Hurst
Department of Veterinary Clinical Science and Animal Husbandry, University of Liverpool, Leahurst, Neston CH64 7TE, UK
Nature 414:631-4. 2001
..However, rodent urine also contains a class of proteins, termed major urinary proteins (MUPs), that bind and release small volatile ..
- Whole-cell response characteristics of ciliated and microvillous olfactory receptor neurons to amino acids, pheromone candidates and urine in rainbow trout
Animal Behavior and Intelligence, Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan
Chem Senses 26:1145-56. 2001
..20 beta-dihydroxy-4-pregnen-3-one and ECG; etiocholan-3 alpha-ol-17-one glucuronide), prostaglandins (PGFs) and urine samples collected from immature and mature female fish were applied focally to olfactory cilia or microvilli using ..
- Glucose transporters in human renal proximal tubular cells isolated from the urine of patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, GlaxoSmithKline, Translational Medicine and Technology, Human Biomarkers Centre, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2GG, UK
Diabetes 54:3427-34. 2005
..isolation and novel primary culture of human exfoliated proximal tubular epithelial cells (HEPTECs) from fresh urine. The primary isolates are highly enriched and differentiated and express characteristic proximal tubular ..
- Point-of-care detection of lipoarabinomannan (LAM) in urine for diagnosis of HIV-associated tuberculosis: a state of the art review
Stephen D Lawn
University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 12:103. 2012
Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigens in urine is attractive as a potential means of diagnosing tuberculosis (TB) regardless of the anatomical site of disease...
- Human papillomavirus genotype detection and viral load in paired genital and urine samples from both females and males
Sara L Bissett
Virus Reference Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
J Med Virol 83:1744-51. 2011
..Type-specific detection concordance between paired urine and genital samples from females (n = 264) undergoing routine colposcopy and males (n = 88) attending a ..
- Changes in gene cassettes of class 1 integrons among Escherichia coli isolates from urine specimens collected in Korea during the last two decades
Hak Sun Yu
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 700 422, Korea
J Clin Microbiol 41:5429-33. 2003
Gene cassettes of class 1 integrons in Escherichia coli isolates from urine specimens collected in Korea during the last 2 decades were characterized...
- Proteomic analysis of urine exosomes by multidimensional protein identification technology (MudPIT)
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Proteomics 12:329-38. 2012
..Nearly, 3280 proteins were identified from nine human urine samples with 31% overlap among nine samples...
- Up to 50-fold increase in urine viscosity with iso-osmolar contrast media in the rat
Institute of Vegetative Physiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, CCM, Tucholskystr 2, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Radiology 256:406-14. 2010
- Urine is a highly cytotoxic agent: does it influence stem cell therapies in urology?
Department of Tissue Engineering, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Transplant Proc 44:1439-41. 2012
..In this study we examined the influence of urine on bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSC)...
- Standard operating procedures for pre-analytical handling of blood and urine for metabolomic studies and biobanks
Magnetic Resonance Center CERM, University of Florence, Via L Sacconi 6, 50019, Sesto Fiorentino, Italy
J Biomol NMR 49:231-43. 2011
1)H NMR metabolic profiling of urine, serum and plasma has been used to monitor the impact of the pre-analytical steps on the sample quality and stability in order to propose standard operating procedures (SOPs) for deposition in ..
- Self-renewal and differentiation capacity of urine-derived stem cells after urine preservation for 24 hours
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e53980. 2013
..The aim of this study was to characterize urine-derived stem cells (USCs) after optimal preservation of urine specimens for up to 24 hours...
- Screening of in vivo activated genes in Enterococcus faecalis during insect and mouse infections and growth in urine
Laboratoire de Microbiologie de l Environnement, EA956 USC INRA2017, Universite de Caen, Caen, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11879. 2010
..faecalis V583 derivative strain and tested in the insect model Galleria mellonella, during growth in urine, in a mouse bacteremia and in a mouse peritonitis model...
- Urine heme dipsticks are useful in monitoring the impact of praziquantel treatment on Schistosoma haematobium in sentinel communities of Delta State, Nigeria
The Carter Center, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Acta Trop 122:126-31. 2012
..is highly endemic for infection with Schistosoma haematobium, which most commonly manifests itself with blood in urine. To monitor the impact of annual mass drug administration (MDA) with Praziquantel for S...
- Metabolic signatures of lung cancer in biofluids: NMR-based metabonomics of urine
CICECO, Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitário de Santiago, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
J Proteome Res 10:221-30. 2011
..has been applied, for the first time to our knowledge, to investigate lung cancer metabolic signatures in urine, aiming at assessing the diagnostic potential of this approach and gaining novel insights into lung cancer ..
- Urine metabolomics
National TCM Key Lab of Serum Pharmacochemistry, Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine, and Key Pharmacometabolomics Platform of Chinese Medicines, Heping Road 24, Harbin 150040, China
Clin Chim Acta 414:65-9. 2012
..b>Urine is an ideal bio-medium for disease study because it is readily available, easily obtained and less complex than ..
- A new loop-mediated isothermal amplification method for rapid, simple, and sensitive detection of Leptospira spp. in urine
Department of Bacteriology, National Institute of Infectious Disease, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 50:2072-4. 2012
..in urine. The method enables detection of two leptospiral cells per reaction mixture following boiling of urine specimens...
- Detection of human papillomavirus in urine and cervical swabs from patients with invasive cervical cancer
Grazyna A Stanczuk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical School, University of Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Med Virol 71:110-4. 2003
..The presence of HPVs in urine and cervical swab samples collected from 43 women who presented with invasive cervical cancer was investigated...
- High performance of a new PCR-based urine assay for HPV-DNA detection and genotyping
Department of Biomedical Sciences for Health, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Med Virol 85:91-8. 2013
..However, both methods require the collection of cervical samples. Urine sample is easier and more acceptable to collect and could be helpful in facilitating cervical cancer screening...
- Schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminths among an adult population in a war affected area, Southern Kordofan state, Sudan
Alaa Hammad Ali Abou-Zeid
Public Health Department, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Kasr Al Ainy St, Manial, Cairo, Egypt
Parasit Vectors 5:133. 2012
..Schistosomiasis remains a major health problem at global and national levels, contributing to the vulnerability of the poor people in Sudan. Southern Kordofan is affected by Schistosomiasis but the disease prevalence was unknown...
- Diagnostic accuracy of urine filtration and dipstick tests for Schistosoma haematobium infection in a lightly infected population of Ghanaian schoolchildren
Karen C Kosinski
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Acta Trop 118:123-7. 2011
Two screening methods, reagent dipsticks for hematuria and urine filtration for Schistosoma haematobium eggs, were evaluated for their sensitivity and specificity in diagnosing infection with S...
- Pregame urine specific gravity and fluid intake by National Basketball Association players during competition
Kristin L Osterberg
Gatorade Sports Science Institute, 617 West Main Street, Barrington, IL 60010, USA
J Athl Train 44:53-7. 2009
b>Urine specific gravity (USG) has been used to estimate hydration status in athletes on the field, with increasing levels of hypohydration indicated by higher USG measurements (eg, greater than 1.020)...
- Quantitative analysis of a urine-based assay for detection of lipoarabinomannan in patients with tuberculosis
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:2972-4. 2010
..Patients with disseminated TB and/or advanced HIV are target populations for whom urine LAM detection may be particularly useful.
- Urine cytology findings of polyomavirus infections
Harsharan K Singh
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 577:201-12. 2006
..along the transitional cell layer, resulting in the shedding of viral particles and infected cells into the urine. A morphologic sign of the (re)activation of polyomaviruses is the detection of typical intranuclear viral ..
- Trichomonas vaginalis: investigation of a novel diagnostic method in urine samples using cysteine proteinase 4 gene and PCR technique
Medical Parasitology and Mycology Department, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Exp Parasitol 126:187-90. 2010
..Thus the quest for reliable PCR techniques of T. vaginalis in vaginal discharge and urine sample is more importance...
- Combined morphologic and fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis of voided urine samples for the detection and follow-up of bladder cancer in patients with benign urine cytology
BioView Ltd, Rehovot, Israel
Cancer 111:517-24. 2007
..Patients with bladder cancer are closely followed with periodic cystoscopies and urine cytology analyses due to the significant risk of tumor recurrence...
- Comparative effectiveness of aminoglycosides, polymyxin B, and tigecycline for clearance of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae from urine
Michael J Satlin
Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5893-9. 2011
..Microbiologic clearance was defined as having a follow-up urine culture that did not yield CRKP...
- Assessing diversity of the female urine microbiota by high throughput sequencing of 16S rDNA amplicons
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Department of Biology, University of Oslo, P O Box 1066 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
BMC Microbiol 11:244. 2011
b>Urine within the urinary tract is commonly regarded as "sterile" in cultivation terms...
- Lactobacillus colonization status in infants with urinary tract infection
Jung Won Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Hallym University, Kangnam Sacred Heart Hospital, 94 195 Yeongdeungpo dong, Yeongdeungpo gu, Seoul, 150 030, Korea
Pediatr Nephrol 24:135-9. 2009
..urogenital lactobacilli against urinary tract infection (UTI), lactobacillus cultures were performed on stool and urine specimens and periurethral/vaginal swabs of febrile infants who were suspected of having UTI...
- Biofilm formation by and antifungal susceptibility of Candida isolates from urine
Department of Medicine and Microbiology and Immunology, Ullmann 1223, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1697-703. 2007
..We determined BF and MIC to antifungals in Candida spp. isolates grown from urine samples of patients and performed a retrospective chart review to examine the correlation with risk factors...
- Actinobaculum schaalii: a common cause of urinary tract infection in the elderly population. Bacteriological and clinical characteristics
Hans Linde Nielsen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Heibergs Alle 4, Viborg, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 42:43-7. 2010
..In these cases, microscopic findings of coccoid rods in wet smears of urine gave rise to clinical suspicion and subsequently to its isolation from urine. Typically only scant growth of A...
- Urine metabolite analysis offers potential early diagnosis of ovarian and breast cancers
Carolyn M Slupsky
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 16:5835-41. 2010
..Metabolomics is a new, rapidly expanding field dedicated to the global study of metabolites in biological systems. In this article metabolomics is applied to find urinary biomarkers for breast and ovarian cancer...
- Detection of dengue virus in saliva and urine by real time RT-PCR
Telma R Poloni
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirão Preto14040 903, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Virol J 7:22. 2010
..The objective of this study was to analyze the usefulness of urine and saliva samples for early diagnosis of DENV infection by real time RT-PCR...
- Use of an adaptation of a commercially available PCR assay aimed at diagnosis of chlamydia and gonorrhea to detect Trichomonas vaginalis in urogenital specimens
Barbara Van Der Pol
Division of Infectious Diseases, Indiana University Scool of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:366-73. 2006
..Evaluations included three primer sets, endocervical swabs, vaginal swabs and urine, and various storage conditions...
- Two-dimensional fluorescence difference gel electrophoresis analysis of the urine proteome in human diabetic nephropathy
Center for Diabetic Kidney Disease, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proteomics 5:2648-55. 2005
..We employed two-dimensional differential in-gel electrophoretic analysis (2-D DIGE) to assess multiple urine samples in patients with diabetic nephropathy. Patient samples were collected as timed overnight collections...
- Exploring the hidden human urinary proteome via ligand library beads
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Unit of Internal Medicine, University of Verona, Italy
J Proteome Res 4:1917-30. 2005
..In a control urine sample, 134 unique proteins could be identified...
- Colonization of residents and staff of a long-term-care facility and adjacent acute-care hospital geriatric unit by multiresistant bacteria
Reparto di Geriatria, Comprensorio Sanitario di Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:934-44. 2010
..b>Urine samples and rectal, inguinal, oropharyngeal and nasal swabs were plated on chromogenic agar; isolates were typed ..
- Characterization of urine-derived stem cells obtained from upper urinary tract for use in cell-based urological tissue engineering
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27101, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 17:2123-32. 2011
The goals of this study were to characterize urine-derived stem cells obtained from the upper urinary tract (uUSC), induce these cells to differentiate into urothelial and smooth muscle cells, and determine whether they could serve as a ..
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral artemether for the prevention of patent Schistosoma haematobium infections
Eliézer K N'goran
Laboratoire de Biologie Animale, Universite de Cocody, Abidjan, Cote d lvoire
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:24-32. 2003
..haematobium, done in a highly endemic area of Côte d'Ivoire. Urine specimens from 440 schoolchildren were examined over 4 consecutive days, followed by two systematic praziquantel ..
- MHC class I peptides as chemosensory signals in the vomeronasal organ
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Science 306:1033-7. 2004
..MHC peptides constitute a previously unknown family of chemosensory stimuli by which MHC genotypic diversity can influence social behavior...
- Evidence of uncultivated bacteria in the adult female bladder
Alan J Wolfe
Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:1376-83. 2012
Clinical urine specimens are usually considered to be sterile when they do not yield uropathogens using standard clinical cultivation procedures...
- A comprehensive and non-prefractionation on the protein level approach for the human urinary proteome: touching phosphorylation in urine
Qing Run Li
Key Laboratory of Systems Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 24:823-32. 2010
..However, most of the urine proteomics studies routinely relied on protein pre-fractionation and so far did not present characterization on ..
- Dosage effect on uropathogenic Escherichia coli anti-adhesion activity in urine following consumption of cranberry powder standardized for proanthocyanidin content: a multicentric randomized double blind study
Amy B Howell
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Espri26, Universite Montpellier 1, Nimes, France
BMC Infect Dis 10:94. 2010
..coli adhesion to uroepithelial cells. Additional experiments were required to investigate the persistence in urine samples over a broader time period, to determine the most effective dose per day and to determine if the urinary ..
- Adult population as potential reservoir of NTD infections in rural villages of Kwale district, Coastal Kenya: implications for preventive chemotherapy interventions policy
Sammy M Njenga
Eastern and Southern Africa Centre of International Parasite Control, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Mbagathi Road, Nairobi, Kenya
Parasit Vectors 4:175. 2011
..This paper presents the results of a parasitological investigation among adults in the study villages...
- Twenty-four-hour urine chemistries and the risk of kidney stones among women and men
G C Curhan
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Womens Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Kidney Int 59:2290-8. 2001
Results of a 24-hour urine collection are integral to the selection of the most appropriate intervention to prevent kidney stone recurrence...
- The ferric yersiniabactin uptake receptor FyuA is required for efficient biofilm formation by urinary tract infectious Escherichia coli in human urine
Microbial Adhesion Group, BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Microbiology 154:167-75. 2008
..FyuA was found to be highly important for biofilm formation in iron-poor environments such as human urine. Mutants in fyuA show aberrant biofilm formation and the cells become filamentous; a VR50fyuA mutant showed a 92 % ..
- Validation of a new test for Schistosoma haematobium based on detection of Dra1 DNA fragments in urine: evaluation through latent class analysis
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1464. 2012
..We evaluated three tests for viable infection: detection of parasite specific DNA Dra1 fragments, haematuria and presence of parasite eggs for sensitivity (Se) and specificity (Sp)...
- Characteristics of Candida albicans biofilms grown in a synthetic urine medium
Department of Biology and South Texas Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78249, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:4078-83. 2009
..Here, we describe the characterization of C. albicans biofilms formed in vitro using synthetic urine (SU) medium and the frequently used RPMI medium and compare the results. Biofilms of C...
- Detection of BK, JC, WU, or KI polyomaviruses in faecal, urine, blood, cerebrospinal fluid and respiratory samples
Queensland Pediatric Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Sir Albert Sakzewski Virus Research Centre, QLD, Australia
J Clin Virol 45:249-54. 2009
..The related human polyomaviruses JCV and BKV in contrast, have been detected in a wide range of sample types, leading to increased knowledge about their biology and pathogenesis...
- Apical cell membranes are shed into urine from injured podocytes: a novel phenomenon of podocyte injury
Department of Pediatrics, Yoshida Hospital, Yoshida machi, Nishikanbara gun, 959 0242 Niigata, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:408-16. 2005
Previously it was shown that urine from patients with nephritis contains podocytes and their fragments (podocalyxin [PCX]-positive granular structures [PPGS]), reflecting the degree of podocyte injury...
- Standardized peptidome profiling of human urine by magnetic bead separation and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry
Georg Martin Fiedler
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, University Hospital, Leipzig, Germany
Clin Chem 53:421-8. 2007
Peptidome profiling of human urine is a promising tool to identify novel disease-associated biomarkers; however, a wide range of preanalytical variables influence the results of peptidome analysis...
- Metabolic profiling of accelerated aging ERCC1 d/- mice
Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry Unit, Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Proteome Res 9:3680-7. 2010
..In the current study, we have performed metabolic profiling of serum and urine of these mice in comparison to wild type and in relation to aging by (1)H NMR spectroscopy...
- Laboratory diagnosis of urinary tract infections in adult patients
Michael L Wilson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80204 4507, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1150-8. 2004
..Among the diagnostic tests, urinalysis is useful mainly for excluding bacteriuria. Urine culture may not be necessary as part of the evaluation of outpatients with uncomplicated UTIs, but it is necessary ..
- Detection and quantification of leptospires in urine of dogs: a maintenance host for the zoonotic disease leptospirosis
School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:1305-9. 2010
..Maintenance hosts typically remain clinically asymptomatic and shed leptospires into the environment via urine. In contrast, accidental hosts such as humans can suffer severe acute forms of the disease...
- Responses of vomeronasal neurons to natural stimuli
T E Holy
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 289:1569-72. 2000
..These cells responded to components of urine by increasing their firing rate. This chemosensory activation required phospholipase C function...
- Mutational and transcriptional analyses of an avian pathogenic Escherichia coli ColV plasmid
Jerod A Skyberg
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
BMC Microbiol 8:24. 2008
..coli to kill avian embryos, grow in human urine, and colonize the murine kidney...
- Direct identification of bacteria causing urinary tract infections by combining matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry with UF-1000i urine flow cytometry
X H Wang
The Clinical Laboratory, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100730, People s Republic of China
J Microbiol Methods 92:231-5. 2013
..matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) combined with UF-1000i urine flow cytometry of urine specimens to quickly and accurately identify bacteria causing UTIs...
- Structure of Proteus mirabilis biofilms grown in artificial urine and standard laboratory media
Steven M Jones
Calgary Centre for Innovation and Technology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FEMS Microbiol Lett 268:16-21. 2007
..Therefore, a comparison of biofilm structure in artificial urine (AU) and laboratory media was undertaken. We compared the structure of P...
- On-chip imaging of Schistosoma haematobium eggs in urine for diagnosis by computer vision
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology MTC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2547. 2013
..Images can be transferred for analysis both visually and by computer vision both at point-of-care and at remote locations...
- Non-invasive urine based tests for the detection of bladder cancer
School of Biotechnology, Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya, State Technological University of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
J Clin Pathol 65:970-5. 2012
..Therefore, the development of non-invasive urine based tests for the early detection of bladder cancer would be of tremendous benefit to both patients and ..
- Longitudinal relationships between fluid status, inflammation, urine volume and plasma metabolites of icodextrin in patients randomized to glucose or icodextrin for the long exchange
Simon J Davies
Department of Nephrology, North Staffordshire Hospital, Princes Road, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent, ST4 7LN, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2982-8. 2008
- Measuring morbidity associated with urinary schistosomiasis: assessing levels of excreted urine albumin and urinary tract pathologies
José C Sousa-Figueiredo
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, UK
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e526. 2009
..We therefore aimed to determine associations between excreted urine-albumin, as measured using a HemoCue photometer, and UTPs, as detected by ultrasonography, in children and adults ..
- Mapping the cytokine profile of painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis in human bladder and urine specimens
Anthony T Corcoran
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Suite 700 Kaufmann Medical Building, 3471 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
World J Urol 31:241-6. 2013
This study investigated the cytokine profile in bladder tissue and urine of painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis (PBS/IC) patients.
- Major uropathogenic Escherichia coli strain isolated in the northwest of England identified by multilocus sequence typing
Siu Ha Lau
Department of Medical Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Manchester, Clinical Sciences Building 1, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 46:1076-80. 2008
A total of 88 uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolates, including 68 isolates from urine and 20 isolates from blood, were characterized by multilocus sequence typing (MLST). MLST has identified an important genetic lineage of E...
- Accuracy of urine specific gravity and osmolality as indicators of hydration status
Robert A Oppliger
Iowa Wrestling Research, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 15:236-51. 2005
..This investigation: 1) compared sensitivity of urine specific gravity (Usg), urine osmolality (U(osm)) and a criterion measurement of hydration, plasma osmolality (P(..
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae and pneumococcal urine antigen test in healthy elderly subjects
Arto A Palmu
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 44:433-8. 2012
..Lower carriage rates have been reported in adults and only sparse data are available for the elderly. We sampled healthy elderly subjects for nasopharyngeal carriage to assess the prevalence of pneumococcal carriage using various assays...
- Comparison of NMP22 BladderChek test and urine cytology for the detection of recurrent bladder cancer
Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Jpn J Clin Oncol 36:172-5. 2006
..the clinical performance of the NMP22 BladderChek test, which is a qualitative test, and to compare it with voided urine cytology for the detection of recurrent bladder cancer...
- Day of surgery urine cultures identify urogynecologic patients at increased risk for postoperative urinary tract infection
Cynthia S Fok
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Urology, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, Illinois, USA
J Urol 189:1721-4. 2013
..In this study we assess the proportion of urogynecologic patients with a positive day of surgery urine culture, the clinical consequences of a positive day of surgery culture and differences in postoperative urinary ..
- Biofilm formation with mixed cultures of Pseudomonas aeruginosa/Escherichia coli on silicone using artificial urine to mimic urinary catheters
Centre of Biological Engineering, IBB Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Biofouling 29:829-40. 2013
..common bacteria associated with urinary tract infections, were formed in silicon coupons immersed in artificial urine medium. In single species experiments, E. coli appeared to form biofilms more easily than P. aeruginosa...
- Evaluation of diagnostic strategies for bladder cancer using computed tomography (CT) urography, flexible cystoscopy and voided urine cytology: results for 778 patients from a hospital haematuria clinic
Christopher G T Blick
Department of Urology, The Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
BJU Int 110:84-94. 2012
..The present study also shows that the diagnostic accuracy of voided urine cytology is too low to justify its continuing use in a haematuria clinic using CT urography and flexible cystoscopy...
- Methodological aspects for metabolome visualization and characterization: a metabolomic evaluation of the 24 h evolution of human urine after cocoa powder consumption
Nutrition and Food Science Department, XaRTA INSA, INGENIO CONSOLIDER program Fun C Food CSD2007 063, Pharmacy Faculty, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 51:373-81. 2010
..After overnight fasting, 10 subjects consumed cocoa powder with milk. Urine samples were collected before the ingestion product and at 0-6, 6-12, 12-24 h after test-meal consumption and ..
- Identification of protein pheromones that promote aggressive behaviour
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92030, USA
Nature 450:899-902. 2007
..Our results substantiate the idea of MUP proteins as pheromone ligands that mediate male-male aggression through the accessory olfactory neural pathway...
- Multipotential differentiation of human urine-derived stem cells: potential for therapeutic applications in urology
Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Stem Cells 31:1840-56. 2013
We sought to biologically characterize and identify a subpopulation of urine-derived stem cells (USCs) with the capacity for multipotent differentiation...