- Bioelectrical impedance analysis-part II: utilization in clinical practice
Ursula G Kyle
Clinical Nutrition Unit, Geneva University Hospital, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Clin Nutr 23:1430-53. 2004
..II of these ESPEN guidelines reports results for fat-free mass (FFM), body fat (BF), body cell mass (BCM), total body water (TBW), extracellular water (ECW) and intracellular water (ICW) from various studies in healthy and ill subjects...
- Total body water changes after an exercise intervention tracked using bioimpedance spectroscopy: a deuterium oxide comparison
Jordan R Moon
Metabolic and Body Composition Laboratories, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Clin Nutr 28:516-25. 2009
Bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS) for the estimation of total body water (TBW) has advantages over isotope dilution techniques, including cost, portability, and ease of use...
- Water as an essential nutrient: the physiological basis of hydration
Department of Physiology, University of Lausanne, Pully, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:115-23. 2010
..The regulation of water balance is very precise, as a loss of 1% of body water is usually compensated within 24 h. Both water intake and water losses are controlled to reach water balance...
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis--part I: review of principles and methods
Ursula G Kyle
Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Clin Nutr 23:1226-43. 2004
..BIA allows the determination of the fat-free mass (FFM) and total body water (TBW) in subjects without significant fluid and electrolyte abnormalities, when using appropriate population, ..
- Iterative decomposition of water and fat with echo asymmetry and least-squares estimation (IDEAL): application with fast spin-echo imaging
Scott B Reeder
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Magn Reson Med 54:636-44. 2005
..Close agreement between theoretical and experimental results obtained from an oil-water phantom was observed, demonstrating that the iterative least-squares decomposition method is an efficient estimator...
- Multicoil Dixon chemical species separation with an iterative least-squares estimation method
Scott B Reeder
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94304, USA
Magn Reson Med 51:35-45. 2004
..An analysis of the noise performance of this method is described, and methods to improve noise performance through multicoil acquisition and field map smoothing are discussed...
- A whole-body model to distinguish excess fluid from the hydration of major body tissues
Paul W Chamney
Research and Development Department, Fresenius Medical Care, Bad Homburg, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 85:80-9. 2007
..Excess fluid (ExF) accumulates in the body in many conditions. Currently, there is no consensus regarding methods that adequately distinguish ExF from fat-free mass...
- Analytic assessment of the various bioimpedance methods used to estimate body water
Medical Department, Xitron Technologies, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 84:1801-16. 1998
..Both single-frequency (SF) and impedance modeling approaches are proposed. The high intercorrelation between body water compartments makes determining the best approach difficult...
- The effect of racial origin on total body water volume in peritoneal dialysis patients
University College London Centre for Nephrology, University College London Medical School, Royal Free Hospital, London NW3 2PF, UK
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2492-8. 2011
Peritoneal dialysis adequacy is typically assessed by urea clearance corrected for total body water (TBW) on the basis of anthropomorphic equations, which do not readily take into account changes in body composition, which may vary ..
- Influence of gender and body composition on hydration and body water spaces
CHU, Pôle de maladies métaboliques et médecine interne, 4 rue Larrey, 49033 Angers, France
Clin Nutr 27:740-6. 2008
..This study aim at describing total body water (TBW), extra-cellular water (ECW) and intracellular water (ICW) in a cohort of healthy subjects varying in age, ..
- Role of bioimpedance spectroscopy in assessment of body water compartments in hemodialysis patients
P L Cox-Reijven
Departments of Dietetics, Internal Medicine, and Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Kidney Dis 38:832-8. 2001
..Aims of the study are to assess the agreement between total-body water (TBW) and extracellular volume (ECW) measured by BIS and tracer dilution (deuterium oxide [D(2)O] and sodium ..
- Increase of total body water with decrease of body mass while running 100 km nonstop--formation of edema?
St Gallen Health Center, St Gallen, Switzerland
Res Q Exerc Sport 80:593-603. 2009
..run suffer a decrease of body mass and whether this loss consists of fat mass, skeletal muscle mass, or total body water. Male ultrarunners were measured pre- and postrace to determine body mass, fat mass, and skeletal muscle mass by ..
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis models for prediction of total body water and fat-free mass in healthy and HIV-infected children and adolescents
Children s Hospital of New York, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:991-9. 2002
..Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) is an attractive method of measuring pediatric body composition in the field, but the applicability of existing equations to diverse populations has been questioned...
- QDR 4500A dual-energy X-ray absorptiometer underestimates fat mass in comparison with criterion methods in adults
Dale A Schoeller
Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison
Am J Clin Nutr 81:1018-25. 2005
- Induction and decay of short-term heat acclimation in moderately and highly trained athletes
Andrew T Garrett
School of Physical Education, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Sports Med 41:757-71. 2011
..This is particularly pertinent in present times as many athletes, civilians and military personnel increasingly have to relocate to different climates of the world, often within a short period of time...
- Can changes in body mass and total body water accurately predict hyponatremia after a 161-km running race?
Daniel K Lebus
Sports Medicine Program, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, California, USA
Clin J Sport Med 20:193-9. 2010
To relate changes in body mass, total body water (TBW), extracellular fluid (ECF), and serum sodium concentration ([Na]) from a 161-km ultramarathon to finish time and incidence of hyponatremia.
- Markers of hydration status
S M Shirreffs
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:S6-9. 2003
..The current evidence and opinion tend to favour urine indices, and in particular urine osmolality, as the most promising marker available...
- The effects of racial differences on body composition and total body water measured by multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis influence delivered Kt/V dialysis dosing
UCL Center for Nephrology, Royal Free Hospital, University College London Medical School, London, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 124:60-6. 2013
..Aiming for the same Kt/V target, some racial groups have better survival. We investigated whether body composition differs with ethnicity and may lead to differences in Kt/V delivered...
- Bioelectric impedance vector distribution in peritoneal dialysis patients with different hydration status
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Nephrology Clinic, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Kidney Int 65:1050-63. 2004
In continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD), total body water (TBW) is estimated by functions of body weight, and by equations of bioelectric impedance analysis (BIA). These procedures may be biased with abnormal tissue hydration...
- Maternal cardiac systolic function and total body water estimation in normal and gestational hypertensive women
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Acta Diabetol 40:S216-21. 2003
We assessed total body water (TBW) content and cardiac function in 25 normotensive (N) and 22 gestational hypertensive (GH) women matched for age, gestational age, and prepregnancy body mass index (BMI) during the third trimester of ..
- Measurements of total body water with a foot-to-foot impedancemeter
Michel Y Jaffrin
Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering Laboratory, UMR CNRS 6600, Technological University of Compiegne, 60205 Compiegne, France
Med Eng Phys 30:483-9. 2008
The objective was to set-up a method for measuring total body water volumes (TBW) using a Tefal foot-to-foot impedancemeter (FFI) by comparison with a multifrequency medical impedancemeter and to validate this method against deuterium ..
- Body composition in renal transplant patients: bioimpedance analysis compared to isotope dilution, dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, and anthropometry
E C van den Ham
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 10:1067-79. 1999
..MF-BIA is compared to isotope dilution techniques for measurement of body water compartments, and to dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and anthropometry for measurement of fat and fat ..
- Validation of bioelectrical impedance analysis for total body water assessment against the deuterium dilution technique in Asian children
Department of Student Nutrition, National Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:1321-7. 2011
To develop and cross-validate bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) prediction equations of total body water (TBW) and fat-free mass (FFM) for Asian pre-pubertal children from China, Lebanon, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand.
- Field map estimation with a region growing scheme for iterative 3-point water-fat decomposition
Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, CA, USA
Magn Reson Med 54:1032-9. 2005
..The proposed method was implemented and shown to significantly improve the algorithm's immunity to field inhomogeneity...
- Urinary excretion of the aquaporin-2 water channel exaggerated in pathological states of impaired water excretion
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:217-21. 2001
- The use of bioelectrical impedance analysis to estimate total body water in young children with cerebral palsy
Kristie L Bell
Queensland Cerebral Palsy and Rehabilitation Research Centre, School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Australia
Clin Nutr 32:579-84. 2013
..This study aimed to validate bioelectrical impedance to estimate total body water in young children with cerebral palsy and determine best electrode placement in unilateral impairment.
- Comparative measurements of total body water in healthy volunteers by online breath deuterium measurement and other near-subject methods
Centre for Science and Technology in Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine, Keele University, Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1295-301. 2002
We developed a new near-subject approach, using flowing afterglow-mass spectrometry (FA-MS) and deuterium dilution, which enables the immediate measurement of total body water (TBW) from single exhalations.
- Estimation of normal hydration in dialysis patients using whole body and calf bioimpedance analysis
Renal Research Institute, Yorkville Dialysis Center, 1555 3rd Avenue 218, New York, NY 10128, USA
Physiol Meas 32:887-902. 2011
..The ratio of wECV to total body water (wECV/TBW) was calculated...
- A review of body water status and the effects of age and body fatness in children and adults
Wm C Chumlea
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Department of Community Health, Lifespan Health, Research Center, 3171 Research Blvd, Dayton, OH 45420, 937 775 1428, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 11:111-8. 2007
..Body composition models based on past findings and assumptions could produce inaccurate estimates when the majority of the population is overweight to obese...
- Blood pressure and body water distribution in chronic renal failure patients
M A Alvarez-Lara
, , , Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:94-7. 2001
..Using electric bioimpedance, body water distribution was studied in 32 patients from our dialysis unit...
- Measured and predicted total body water in children with myelomeningocele
R A Littlewood
Children s Nutrition Research Centre, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Statewide Paediatric Rehabilitation Service, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Queensland 4029, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 39:278-81. 2003
Children with myelomeningocele (MMC) have an altered body composition and an atypical distribution of total body water (TBW)...
- Body water compartment measurements: a comparison of bioelectrical impedance analysis with tritium and sodium bromide dilution techniques
J A Simpson
Section of Surgery, University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Clin Nutr 20:339-43. 2001
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: This study was undertaken to assess the comparability of body water compartment estimates in healthy volunteers using single and dual frequency bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) with established reference methods ..
- Weight loss after therapy of hypothyroidism is mainly caused by excretion of excess body water associated with myxoedema
Department of Endocrinology and Medicine, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E99-103. 2011
..Physical activity contributes to the total daily energy expenditure, and changes in physical activity might contribute to hypothyroid-associated weight changes...
- Segmental bioelectrical impedance analysis in children aged 8-12 y: 1. The assessment of whole-body composition
N J Fuller
MRC Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:684-91. 2002
..To investigate the potential of segmental bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) for estimating whole-body composition in children...
- Relationship between changes in total-body water and fluid distribution with maximal forearm strength in elite judo athletes
Analiza M Silva
Exercise and Health Laboratory, Faculty of Human Kinetics Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
J Strength Cond Res 25:2488-95. 2011
..The study aims were to evaluate changes in total-body water (TBW) and its compartments (extracellular water [ECW] and intracellular water [ICW]) and their relationship with ..
- Intravenous albumin administration and body water balance in critically ill patients
Daniel Ferreira da Cunha
Nutrition 19:157-8. 2003
- Estimating total body water in children on the basis of height and weight: a reevaluation of the formulas of Mellits and Cheek
Bruce Z Morgenstern
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:1884-8. 2002
An estimate of total body water (TBW) has important implications in clinical practice. For patients on peritoneal dialysis (PD), the estimate is critical when determining the delivered dialysis dose...
- Development of a population-specific regression equation to estimate total body water in hemodialysis patients
G M Chertow
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 51:1578-82. 1997
..shown that the impedance index (height corrected resistance) is a valid and reliable correlate of total body water (TBW) in hemodialysis patients...
- The ratio of extracellular fluid to total body water and technique survival in peritoneal dialysis patients
Colin H Jones
Renal Unit, York Hospital, York, United Kingdom
Perit Dial Int 24:353-8. 2004
..We examined whether an increased extracellular fluid volume (VECF) as a proportion of the total body water (VTBW) predicted technique survival (TS) in a prevalent patient cohort.
- Total body water measurement by a modification of the bioimpedance spectroscopy method
Michel Y Jaffrin
UMR 6600, Department of Biological Engineering, Technological University of Compiegne, BP 20529, 60205, Compiegne Cedex, France
Med Biol Eng Comput 44:873-82. 2006
We propose a method for calculating directly total body water (TBW) volumes (V (t)) from whole body resistance extrapolated at infinite frequency (R (infinity)) using a XITRON 4200 impedance meter...
- Total body water volume for white children and adolescents and anthropometric prediction equations: the Fels Longitudinal Study
William C Chumlea
Department of Community Health, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45420, USA
Kidney Int 68:2317-22. 2005
There are few studies of total body water (TBW) volume in children. Such studies are needed, as are new prediction equations for the clinical management of children with renal insufficiency and those receiving dialysis.
- Assessment of body composition using dry mass index and ratio of total body water to estimated volume based on bioelectrical impedance analysis in chronic kidney disease patients
Department of Nephrology, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Ren Nutr 23:28-36. 2013
..The ratio of extracellular water (ECW(BIA)) to total body water (TBW(BIA)) in multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis is commonly used for assessing abnormal fluid ..
- Total body water measurements in adolescent athletes: a comparison of six field methods with deuterium dilution
Ana L Quiterio
Exercise and Health Laboratory, Faculty of Human Movement, Technical University of Lisbon, Cruz Quebrada, Portugal
J Strength Cond Res 23:1225-37. 2009
Assessing hydration, that is, total body water (TBW) in adolescent athletes should be part of a comprehensive training program. However, there are no specific methods to assess TBW in young athletes...
- Body water distribution in severe obesity and its assessment from eight-polar bioelectrical impedance analysis
Malattie Metaboliche III e Laboratorio di Endocrinologia Sperimentale, Istituto Auxologico Italiano IRCCS, Piancavallo, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:155-60. 2005
To measure body water distribution and to evaluate the accuracy of eight-polar bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) for the assessment of total body water (TBW) and extracellular water (ECW) in severe obesity.
- Relationship between extracellular water fraction of total body water estimated by bioimpedance spectroscopy and cardiac troponin T in chronic haemodialysis patients
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Ulsan University Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Ulsan, Korea
Blood Purif 28:61-8. 2009
The ratio of extracellular water to total body water (ECW/TBW) estimated by bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS) may be a useful volume index in haemodialysis (HD) patients, but its direct relation to cardiovascular (CV) outcomes has been ..
- Bioimpedance analysis and intradialytic hypotension in intermittent hemodialysis
M J Koziolek
Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology, Georg August University Gottingen, Germany
Clin Nephrol 66:39-50. 2006
..Its appearance is caused in part by rapid fluid removal with concomitant failure in blood pressure regulation but also by other dialytic-dependent and independent factors...
- Blood pressure, volume, and sodium control in an automated peritoneal dialysis population
Neil C Boudville
University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Perit Dial Int 27:537-43. 2007
- Evaluation of multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis for the assessment of extracellular and total body water in healthy cats
Denise A Elliott
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr 132:1757S-9S. 2002
- Applying an artificial neural network to predict total body water in hemodialysis patients
Jainn Shiun Chiu
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chiayi County, Taiwan
Am J Nephrol 25:507-13. 2005
Estimating total body water (TBW) is crucial in determining dry weight and dialytic dose for hemodialysis patients. Several anthropometric equations have been used to predict TBW, but a more accurate method is needed...
- Improvement of nutritional status as assessed by multifrequency BIA during 15 weeks of refeeding in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Technical University of Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Nutr 134:3026-30. 2004
..From wk 3 to 15, BMI, fat mass, body cell mass (BCM), total body water (TBW), intracellular water (ICW) but not extracellular mass (ECM), and extracellular water (ECW) increased ..
- Simultaneous determination of total body water and plasma volume in conscious dogs by the indicator dilution principle
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Nutr 132:1711S-3S. 2002
- Water homeostasis, frailty and cognitive function in the nursing home
J J Kehayias
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 16:35-9. 2012
..To develop and test a practical clinical method to assess frailty in nursing homes; - To investigate the relationship between cognitive status of the elderly and the balance between water compartments of their body composition...
- Disorders of body water homeostasis in critical illness
Suzanne Myers Adler
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 35:873-94, xi. 2006
..Because body water is the primary determinant of extracellular fluid osmolality, disorders of body water balance can be categorized ..
- Why is there significant overlap in volume status between hypertensive and normotensive patients on dialysis?
Li Tao Cheng
Division of Nephrology, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
Am J Nephrol 28:508-16. 2008
..We investigate the overlap in ECW between controlled and uncontrolled hypertension in dialysis patients...
- Total body water measurement using bioelectrical impedance analysis, isotope dilution and total body potassium: a scoring system to facilitate intercomparison
C H Gonzalez
Department of Physics, University of Caldas, Colombia
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:326-37. 2002
..in evaluating the accuracy of multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis (MF-BIA) in the assessment of body water volumes against the accepted gold standard measurements based on isotope-dilution and total body potassium (TBK)...
- Protection of total body water content and absence of hyperthermia despite 2% body mass loss ('voluntary dehydration') in soldiers drinking ad libitum during prolonged exercise in cool environmental conditions
Heinrich W Nolte
ERGOnomics TECHnologies, PO Box 6264, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Br J Sports Med 45:1106-12. 2011
..hydration status to determine whether body mass loss can be used as an accurate surrogate for changes in total body water (TBW) during exercise. Data were collected during a 14.6-km route march (wet bulb globe temperature of 14.1°C )...
- Plasma volume, albumin, and fluid status in peritoneal dialysis patients
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1463-70. 2010
..We hypothesized that patients with a plasma albumin below the median value would have measurable overhydration without a proportional increase in plasma volume (PV)...
- Total body water estimation using bioelectrical impedance: a meta-analysis of the data available in the literature
Division of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Acta Diabetol 40:S203-6. 2003
..The objective of the present study was to carry out a meta-analysis of published reports in which total body water (TBW) was estimated using BIA techniques and comparisons were made with reference values...
- Body mass index and bioelectrical vector distribution in 8-year-old children
Department Neuroscience Physiology Nutrition Session, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:133-41. 2008
..To describe bioelectrical impedance vector distribution in relation to BMI (body mass index; body weight/stature(2)) in a population of healthy children in order to detect possible changes in body composition status...
- Influence of body water distribution on skin thickness: measurements using high-frequency ultrasound
Department of Dermatology, , Ratzeburger Allee 160, , Germany
Br J Dermatol 144:947-51. 2001
..High-frequency ultrasound is able to quantify these effects and is a sensitive method for measuring fluid intake and balance during anaesthesia and therapy...
- [Bioimpedance vector analysis for body composition in Mexican population]
Maria de los Angeles Espinosa-Cuevas
Departamento de Nefrologia y Metabolismo Mineral, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Tlalpan, Mexico
Rev Invest Clin 59:15-24. 2007
..To construct bivariate tolerance ellipses from impedance values normalized for height, which can be used in Mexican population for the assessment of body composition and compare them with others made in different populations...
- Salt and fluid intake in the development of hypertension in peritoneal dialysis patients
Institute of Nephrology, Third Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, China
Ren Fail 29:427-32. 2007
..Therefore, we investigated the role of salt and fluid intake in the development of hypertension in CAPD patients...
- Use of the cellular model of body composition to describe changes in body water compartments after total fasting, very low calorie diet and low calorie diet in obese men
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:908-18. 2010
..The cellular model of body composition divides the body in body cell mass (BCM), extracellular solids and extracellular fluids. This model has been infrequently applied for the evaluation of weight loss (WL) programmes...
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis estimation of water compartments in elderly diseased patients: the source study
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Angers, France
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M344-8. 2001
This study validates, in geriatric patients, bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) equations that had been derived to estimate total body water (TBW) and extracellular water (ECW) in healthy elderly subjects.
- Body water distribution and disease
Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Biostatistics, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Campi 287, I 41100, Modena, Italy
Acta Diabetol 40:S200-2. 2003
The study of body water distribution between extra- and intra-cellular spaces has the potential to improve our knowledge on the mechanisms of disease...
- Fluid status in CAPD patients is related to peritoneal transport and residual renal function: evidence from a longitudinal study
Constantijn J A M Konings
Department of Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Academical Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:797-803. 2003
..It has been suggested that part of this relationship might be explained by an effect of both parameters on the fluid state in CAPD patients or by the relationship between inflammation and peritoneal transport...
- Validity of impedance-based equations for the prediction of total body water as measured by deuterium dilution in African women
Equipe de Nutrition, Laboratoire de Physiologie, Departement de Biologie Animale, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar, Senegal, West Africa
Am J Clin Nutr 81:597-604. 2005
..Equations for predicting body composition are population-specific, and body composition differs between blacks and whites...
- Bioelectrical phase angle and impedance vector analysis--clinical relevance and applicability of impedance parameters
Medizinische Klinik für Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie inkl Arbeitsbereich Ernährungsmedizin Charité, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 31:854-61. 2012
..This review investigates the clinical relevance and applicability of PhA and Bioelectrical Impedance Vector Analysis (BIVA) which uses the plot of resistance and reactance normalized per height...
- Prediction of body cell mass, fat-free mass, and total body water with bioelectrical impedance analysis: effects of race, sex, and disease
D P Kotler
Gastrointestinal Division, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York 10025, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 64:489S-497S. 1996
..In this study, predictive equations for body cell mass (BCM), fat-free mass (FFM), and total body water (TBW) were derived from direct measurements through use of single-frequency bioelectrical impedance analysis (..
- Development of bioelectrical impedance analysis prediction equations for body composition with the use of a multicomponent model for use in epidemiologic surveys
Shumei S Sun
Lifespan Research Center, Department of Community Health, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45420, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:331-40. 2003
..Previous studies to develop and validate bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) equations to predict body composition were limited by small sample sizes, sex specificity, and reliance on reference methods that use a 2-component model...
- Assessing hydration status
Stavros A Kavouras
Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5:519-24. 2002
..Understanding the importance of euhydration in humans in order to ensure good health in various situations, the purpose of this review is to examine the available techniques in assessing hydration status...
- The aquaporin water channels
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 3:5-13. 2006
- Accuracy of an eight-point tactile-electrode impedance method in the assessment of total body water
Human Nutrition Chair, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:1143-8. 2002
To establish the accuracy of an eight-polar tactile-electrode impedance method in the assessment of total body water (TBW).
- Maintained total body water content and serum sodium concentrations despite body mass loss in female ultra-runners drinking ad libitum during a 100 km race
Facharzt FMH fur Allgemeinmedizin, Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen, Vadianstrasse 26, 9001 St Gallen, Switzerland
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 19:83-90. 2010
..05), and Delta urinary specific gravity negatively (r = -0.67; p< 0.05), correlated to Delta percent total body water. Changes in body mass were not related to fluid intake during the race...
- Body composition, hydration, and related parameters in hemodialysis versus peritoneal dialysis patients
Renal Division, University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
Perit Dial Int 30:208-14. 2010
..A new multifrequency bioimpedance tool has recently been validated. This study compares volume status in peritoneal dialysis (PD) and hemodialysis (HD) patients in a single center...
- Secretin as a neurohypophysial factor regulating body water homeostasis
Jessica Y S Chu
School of Biological Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15961-6. 2009
..Findings presented here challenge previous understanding regarding the neurohypophysis and could provide new concepts in treating disorders related to osmoregulation...
- Dynamics of glutathione and ophthalmate traced with 2H-enriched body water in rats and humans
Rajan S Kombu
Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Ave, W G48, Cleveland, OH 44106 4954, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E260-9. 2009
..and mixed disulfides with proteins] and ophthalmate (an index of GSH depletion) labeled from (2)H-enriched body water. In rats whose body water was 2...
- Byakkokaninjinto prevents body water loss by increasing the expression of kidney aquaporin-2 and skin aquaporin-3 in KKAy mice
Department of Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan
Phytother Res 25:897-903. 2011
..However, BKN administration did not affect AQP5 mRNA expression in the salivary gland. These results suggest that BKN treatment relieves diuresis, thirst, and dermal pruritis by increasing kidney AQP2 expression and skin AQP3 expression...
- Human hydration indices: acute and longitudinal reference values
Lawrence E Armstrong
Human Performance Laboratory, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 20:145-53. 2010
..These findings provide euhydration reference values and hydration extremes for 7 commonly used indices in free-living, healthy, active men who were not exercising in a hot environment or training strenuously...
- Abnormalities of bioimpedance measures in overweight and obese hemodialyzed patients
Department of Neuroscience Physiology Nutrition Section, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:265-72. 2001
- Assessing hydration status: the elusive gold standard
Lawrence E Armstrong
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 1110, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 26:575S-584S. 2007
Acknowledging that total body water (TBW) turnover is complex, and that no measurement is valid for all situations, this review evaluates 13 hydration assessment techniques...
- Relations between malnutrition-inflammation-atherosclerosis and volume status. The usefulness of bioimpedance analysis in peritoneal dialysis patients
Meltem Sezis Demirci
Division of Nephrology, Ege University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1708-16. 2011
..In addition, we analysed the relationship of extracellular volume values by m-BIA to echocardiographic parameters in order to define its usefulness as a measure of FO...
- Equivalence of information from single frequency v. bioimpedance spectroscopy in bodybuilders
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Italy
Br J Nutr 97:182-92. 2007
..94 to 1.00. The correlation between total body water estimated with BIS or with R at 50 kHz was 0.98...
- Body water homeostasis: clinical disorders of urinary dilution and concentration
Robert W Schrier
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1820-32. 2006
- Body fat measurement in adolescent athletes: multicompartment molecular model comparison
A M Silva
Exercise and Health Laboratory, Faculty of Human Movement, Technical University of Lisbon, Estrada da Costa, Cruz Quebrada, Portugal
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:955-64. 2006
..To assess the accuracy of air displacement plethysmography (ADP) and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) per cent body fat (%BF) estimations in comparison with a reference five-compartment (5C) model used as the reference method...
- Three-point Dixon method enables whole-body water and fat imaging of obese subjects
Department of Radiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Magn Reson Med 63:1659-68. 2010
..The computation time for a whole-body dataset was 1 min 51.5 sec +/- 3.0 sec. It was concluded that whole-body water and fat imaging is feasible even for obese subjects, using the proposed method.
- Urea space and total body water measurements by stable isotopes in patients with acute renal failure
T Alp Ikizler
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Division of Nephrology, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2372, USA
Kidney Int 65:725-32. 2004
..shown that in ARF patients, Vurea estimation by urea kinetic modeling is significantly higher than total body water (TBW) by anthropometric estimation...
- Measurement of pulmonary surfactant disaturated-phosphatidylcholine synthesis in human infants using deuterium incorporation from body water
Paola E Cogo
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Mass Spectrom 40:876-81. 2005
..DSPC-PA) synthesis in vivo in humans by the incorporation of deuterium from total body water into DSPC-PA under steady state condition. We studied three newborns and one infant (body weight (BW) 4.6 +/- 2...
- Changes in total body water content during running races of 21.1 km and 56 km in athletes drinking ad libitum
UCT MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Clin J Sport Med 21:218-25. 2011
To measure changes in body mass (BM), total body water (TBW), fluid intake, and blood biochemistry in athletes during 21.1-km and 56-km foot races.
- Body cell mass: model development and validation at the cellular level of body composition
Weight Control Unit, Obesity Research Center, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1090 Amsterdam Avenue, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10025, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E123-8. 2004
..TBK/BCM ratio, to develop a new TBK/BCM model on the basis of physiological associations between TBK and total body water (TBW) at the cellular level of body composition, and to fit this new model with available reference data...
- A longitudinal comparison of body composition by total body water and bioelectrical impedance in adolescent girls
Sarah M Phillips
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Nutr 133:1419-25. 2003
..937 + (0.389 x height(2)/resistance) + (0.285 x weight) + (0.124 x height) + (0.543 x black race) + (0.393 x other race). Overall, we found that BIA provided accurate estimates of the change in both FFM and %BF over time...
- Estimate of body water compartments and of body composition in maintenance hemodialysis patients: comparison of single and multifrequency bioimpedance analysis
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Ren Nutr 15:332-44. 2005
The goal of this study was to compare the adequacy of single and multifrequency bioimpedance analysis (BIA) to evaluate body water compartments, body composition, and nutritional status in maintenance hemodialysis patients.
- Comparative water metabolism of Barrow Island macropodid marsupials: hormonal versus behavioural-dependent mechanisms of body water conservation
J M King
School of Animal Biology M092 and Centre for Native Animal Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Gen Comp Endocrinol 155:378-85. 2008
..correlated with plasma osmolality in both euros and hare wallabies, and negatively correlated with total body water content in euros, supporting its rôle as an antidiuretic hormone in these two species...
- Disorders of body water homeostasis
Joseph G Verbalis
Department of Medicine and Physiology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 232 Building D, 4000 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 17:471-503. 2003
..Because body water is the primary determinant of the osmolality of the extracellular fluid, disorders of body water homeostasis can ..
- Bioimpedance for severe obesity: comparing research methods for total body water and resting energy expenditure
Gladys W Strain
Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1953-6. 2008
..for weight loss in morbid obesity is increasing, clinically useful baseline and follow-up measures of total body water (TBW) and resting energy expenditure (REE) are important...
- Inter-dialytic variations in blood volume and total body water in uraemic patients treated by dialysis
Division of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Spedali Civili and University of Brescia, Piazzale Ospedale Civile 1, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:185-9. 2004
..However, while inter-dialytic variations in blood volume (BV) have been well described, very little is known about the dynamics of fluid accumulation and distribution in body compartments during the inter-dialysis period...
- Daily energy expenditure of the grey mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus): a small primate that uses torpor
Verhaltensökologie, Tubingen, Germany
J Comp Physiol B 170:633-41. 2000
..Thus, this first study on the energy budget of free-ranging M. murinus demonstrates that torpor may not only reflect its impact on the daily energy demands, but involve wider adaptive implications such as water requirements...
- Sources of variation in estimates of lean body mass by creatinine kinetics and by methods based on body water or body mass index in patients on continuous peritoneal dialysis
Antonios H Tzamaloukas
Nephrology Section, Raymond G Murphy Veterans Administration Medical Center and University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
J Ren Nutr 20:91-100. 2010
We identified factors that account for differences between lean body mass computed from creatinine kinetics (LBM(cr)) and from either body water (LBM(V)) or body mass index (LBM(BMI)) in patients on continuous peritoneal dialysis (CPD).
- Anthropometric prediction of total body water in children who are on pediatric peritoneal dialysis
Bruce Z Morgenstern
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Phoenix Children s Hospital, 1919 East Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:285-93. 2006
Accurate estimation of total body water (TBW) is a critical component of dialysis prescription in peritoneal dialysis (PD)...
- The oral contraceptive containing 30 microg of ethinylestradiol plus 3 mg of drospirenone is able to antagonize the increase of extracellular water occurring in healthy young women during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle: an observational study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pisa, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Contraception 75:199-203. 2007
..This nonrandomized study aimed to evaluate body weight and composition during the menstrual cycle and during oral contraception with 30 microg of ethinylestradiol plus 3 mg of drospirenone (EE+DRSP)...
- Effects of two different oral contraceptives on total body water: a randomized study
Rogério Bonassi Machado
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Medicine of Jundiaí, Jundiai, São Paulo 13201 789, Brazil
Contraception 73:344-7. 2006
..This open-label, randomized study evaluated the effect of two different oral contraceptives on body weight and composition during one cycle of treatment...