Genomes and Genes
Summary: The serous fluid of ASCITES, the accumulation of fluids in the PERITONEAL CAVITY.
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Epigenetic regulation of CD133 and tumorigenicity of CD133+ ovarian cancer cellsT Baba
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Oncogene 28:209-18. 2009..We detected CD133 on ovarian cancer cell lines, in primary cancers and on purified epithelial cells from ascitic fluid of ovarian cancer patients...
- Ascitic fluid infection in patients with hepatitis B virus-related liver cirrhosis: culture-negative neutrocytic ascites versus spontaneous bacterial peritonitisSeung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:122-8. 2010b>Ascitic fluid infection (AFI) consists of culture-negative neutrocytic ascites (CNNA) and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)...
- Induction of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 in peritoneal mesothelial and endometrial cells by oxidized low-density lipoprotein and peritoneal fluid from women with endometriosisRong Rong
Emory Center for Advanced Research on Women s Health, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Fertil Steril 78:843-8. 2002..To elucidate the effect of oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosis on monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1) production by peritoneal mesothelial cells and endometrial cells...
- Pax8: a marker for carcinoma of Müllerian origin in serous effusionsGuo Xia Tong
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 39:567-74. 2011....
- Proteomic analysis of peritoneal dialysate fluid in patients with different types of peritoneal membranesSuchai Sritippayawan
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Office for Research and Development, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Proteome Res 6:4356-62. 2007....
- Peritoneal washing cytology: prognostic value of positive findings in patients with gastric carcinoma undergoing a potentially curative resectionY Kodera
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya, Japan
J Surg Oncol 72:60-4; discussion 64-5. 1999..Free cancer cells in the abdominal cavity exfoliated from a tumor are considered to be responsible for peritoneal dissemination, the most frequent pattern of failure in gastric carcinoma patients treated with curative surgery...
- Interleukin-6 and other soluble factors in peritoneal fluid and endometriomas and their relation to pain and aromatase expressionIrene Velasco
Division of Gynecology, School of Medicine, Miguel Hernandez University, 03550 Alicante, Spain
J Reprod Immunol 84:199-205. 2010..However no clear relationship between aromatase expression and other parameters was found...
- A novel mechanism for neutrophil priming in trauma: potential role of peritoneal fluidShinil K Shah
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Surgery 148:263-70. 2010..We hypothesize that peritoneal fluid is a potential priming and/or activating agent for PMNs/monocytes...
- Glycan profiling of urine, amniotic fluid and ascitic fluid from galactosialidosis patients reveals novel oligosaccharides with reducing end hexose and aldohexonic acid residuesCees Bruggink
Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
FEBS J 277:2970-86. 2010Urine, amniotic fluid and ascitic fluid samples of galactosialidosis patients were analyzed and structurally characterized for free oligosaccharides using capillary high-performance anion-exchange chromatography with pulsed amperometric ..
- Oxidised lipids present in ascitic fluid interfere with the regulation of the macrophages during acute pancreatitis, promoting an exacerbation of the inflammatory responseP T Gutierrez
Department of Ischemia and Inflammation, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Gut 57:642-8. 2008Pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF) plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of acute pancreatitis...
- Expression of angiogenic factors in endometriosis: relationship to fibrinolytic and metalloproteinase systemsJ Gilabert-Estelles
Gynecology Service, Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Valencia, Spain
Hum Reprod 22:2120-7. 2007....
- Peritoneal fluid: a potential mechanism of systemic neutrophil priming in experimental intra-abdominal sepsisShinil K Shah
Departments of Pediatric Surgery and Surgery, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, USA
Am J Surg 203:211-6. 2012..The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that PF may drive systemic inflammation in intra-abdominal sepsis by representing a priming agent for neutrophils...
- Outcomes in culture positive and culture negative ascitic fluid infection in patients with viral cirrhosis: cohort studyLubna Kamani
Medicine Department, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Gastroenterol 8:59. 2008b>Ascitic fluid infection (AFI) in cirrhotic patients has a high morbidity and mortality. It has two variants namely, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) and culture negative neutrocytic ascites (CNNA)...
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its soluble receptor-1 in endometriosisSiHyun Cho
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Microvasc Res 83:237-42. 2012....
- Serum and peritoneal fluid immunological markers in adolescent girls with chronic pelvic painAgnieszka Drosdzol-Cop
Woman s Health Institute, The Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Obstet Gynecol Surv 67:374-81. 2012..2; 6.4; 3.3). The Serum IL-4, peritoneal IL-2 and IL-4 provided a good method of discrimination between subjects with endometriosis and controls...
- Detection and identification of bacterial DNA in patients with cirrhosis and culture-negative, nonneutrocytic ascitesJose Such
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Campus de San Juan, San Juan de Alicante, c Pintor Baeza s n, 03010 Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 36:135-41. 2002..Therefore, we investigated the hypothetical presence of bacteria in blood and/or ascitic fluid (AF) from patients with cirrhosis and sterile (culture negative) AF by means of bacterial DNA (bactDNA) ..
- Role of 8-iso-prostaglandin F2alpha and 25-hydroxycholesterol in the pathophysiology of endometriosisIndu Sharma
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biotechnology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Fertil Steril 94:63-70. 2010..To investigate the involvement of 8-iso-PGF(2alpha) and 25-hydroxycholesterol (25-OH-Chol) in the pathophysiology of endometriosis...
- E-cadherin and alpha-, beta-, and gamma-catenin protein expression is up-regulated in ovarian carcinoma cells in serous effusionsB Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Pathol 192:460-9. 2000..The up-regulation of E-cadherin complex proteins in serous effusions and metastatic lesions may mark an early metastatic phenotype and possibly mediates survival of tumour cells at these sites through the inhibition of apoptosis...
- Influence of peritoneal fluid on the expression of angiogenic and proteolytic factors in cultures of endometrial cells from women with endometriosisR Cosín
Research Center, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Hum Reprod 25:398-405. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of peritoneal fluid on the expression of angiogenic and proteolytic factors in cultures of endometrial cells from women with and without endometriosis...
- Signal transduction of MCP-1 expression induced by pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid in pancreatic acinar cellsLaura Ramudo
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
J Cell Mol Med 13:1314-20. 2009Pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF) is known to contribute to the progression of acute pancreatitis (AP)...
- Diagnostic accuracy of ascitic fluid IFN-gamma and adenosine deaminase assays in the diagnosis of tuberculous ascitesS K Sharma
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Interferon Cytokine Res 26:484-8. 2006In this study, we evaluated the diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness of ascitic fluid interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) and adenosine deaminase (ADA) assays in the diagnosis of tuberculous ascites...
- Iron overload in the peritoneal cavity of women with pelvic endometriosisAnne Van Langendonckt
Department of Gynecology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 78:712-8. 2002..To examine the possible involvement of iron in the physiopathology of endometriosis...
- Levels of lipid peroxides and superoxide dismutase in peritoneal fluid of patients with endometriosisY Liu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Xiehe Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022
J Tongji Med Univ 21:166-7. 2001..01). It is suggested that free oxygen radicals may be involved in the pathogenesis of endometriosis associated infertility...
- [Increased oxidized LDL cholesterol levels in peritoneal fluid of women with advanced-stage endometriosis]Grzegorz Polak
I Katedra i Klinika Ginekologii Onkologicznej i Ginekologii Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lublinie, Polska
Ginekol Pol 82:191-4. 2011..Imbalance between reactive oxygen species levels and the antioxidant capacity leads to oxidation of low-density lipoproteins (LDL). The importance of oxidized LDL (Ox-LDL) in the development of atherosclerosis is well recognized...
- Intraperitoneal fluid neopterin, nitrate, and tryptophan after regional administration of interleukin-12Bohuslav Melichar
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
J Immunother 26:270-6. 2003..A significant increase in the ascitic fluid neopterin level could still be detected after 1 or 2 weeks of treatment (mean +/- standard error, 7.8 +/- 1...
- Endometriosis-associated nerve fibers, peritoneal fluid cytokine concentrations, and pain in endometriotic lesions from different locationsBrett McKinnon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Inselspital, Berne University Hospital, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Fertil Steril 97:373-80. 2012..To assess the relationship between endometriotic lesions with associated nerve fibers with both pain and peritoneal fluid (PF) cytokine concentrations based on lesion location...
- Intervention of pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate and tetrandrine on cellular calcium overload of pancreatic acinar cells induced by serum and ascitic fluid from rats with acute pancreatitisYong Yu Li
Department of Pathophysiology, Institute of Digestive Disease, Medical School of Tongji University, Shanghai, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:155-65. 2009To investigate the effects of serum and ascitic fluid from rats with acute pancreatitis (AP) on cellular free calcium concentration ([Ca(2+)]i) of isolated rat pancreatic acinar cells, and the intervention of pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (..
- Liver injury during acute pancreatitis: the role of pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF), p38-MAPK, and caspase-3 in inducing hepatocyte apoptosisJun Yang
Department of Surgery, James A Haley Veterans Hospital, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33601, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 7:200-7; discussion 208. 2003We have demonstrated that pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid contributes to hepatocyte injury during acute pancreatitis; a phenomenon independent of ascites' enzymatic content and Kupffer cell-derived cytokines...
- Peritoneal fluid of patients with endometriosis promotes proliferation of endometrial stromal cells and induces COX-2 expressionYuhuan Liu
Department of Chinese Traditional Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Fertil Steril 95:1836-8. 2011....
- Prospective validation of quantitative CEA mRNA detection in peritoneal washes in gastric carcinoma patientsS Ito
1Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Br J Cancer 93:986-92. 2005..0130) and peritoneal recurrence-free survival (P=0.0006) as end points. These results indicate that quantitation of CEA mRNA in peritoneal washes is a reliable prognostic indicator of peritoneal recurrence in the clinical setting...
- Detection of ascitic fluid infections in patients with liver cirrhosis and ascitesMarwa S Mostafa
Medical Microbiology and Immunology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Arab J Gastroenterol 12:20-4. 2011b>Ascitic fluid infections (AFIs) are the frequent complications of advanced liver disease...
- Biliary pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid activates the production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in acinar cellsLaura Ramudo
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology University of Salamanca, Salamanca Spain
Crit Care Med 33:143-8; discussion 248. 2005..We have investigated the ability of acinar cells, in comparison with inflammatory peripheral blood cells, to produce tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha in response to pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF).
- Trace elements analysis of ascitic fluid in benign and malignant diseasesHandan Ak Celik
Department of Biochemistry, Ege University School of Medicine, Bornova 35100 Izmir, Turkey
Clin Biochem 35:477-81. 2002To evaluate differences in ascitic fluid trace element concentrations which might be useful in discrimination between benign and malignant ascites.
- Decreased concentrations of soluble interleukin-1 receptor accessory protein levels in the peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosisNadège Michaud
Endocrinologie de la Reproduction, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Saint Francois d Assise, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Reprod Immunol 92:68-73. 2011..These changes may exacerbate the local peritoneal inflammatory reaction observed in women with endometriosis and contribute to endometriosis pathophysiology and the major symptoms of this disease...
- Microheterogeneity of transthyretin in serum and ascitic fluid of ovarian cancer patientsBeate Gericke
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Institute of Nutritional Science, University of Potsdam, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, D 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
BMC Cancer 5:133. 2005..The main aim of the study was therefore to characterize differences in microheterogeneity between ascitic fluid and plasma of women affected with ovarian cancer and to evaluate the tumor site as the possible source of TTR.
- Limits of peritoneal cytokine measurements during abdominal lavage treatment for intraabdominal sepsisS Scheingraber
Department of General Surgery, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, D 53105, Bonn, Germany
Am J Surg 181:301-8. 2001..In the present study the clinical application of cytokine monitoring was examined in the treatment course of severe peritonitis...
- Ascitic fluid and serum from rats with acute pancreatitis injure rat pancreatic tissues and alter the expression of heat shock protein 60Yong Yu Li
Institute of Digestive Disease, Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Tongji University, 1239 Si Ping Road, Shanghai 200092, China
Cell Stress Chaperones 15:583-91. 2010..role and mechanism of irritating agents in the pathogenesis of AP, rat pancreatic tissues were stimulated with ascitic fluid (APa) and serum (APs) from rats with AP or with lipopolysaccharide (LPS)...
- Effects of peritoneal fluid from endometriosis patients on the release of monocyte-specific chemokines by leukocytesYong Jin Na
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical Research Institute, Pusan National University, Busan 602 739, Korea
Arch Gynecol Obstet 283:1333-41. 2011..Moreover, we evaluated the correlation between the levels of chemokines in ePF and their release by these cells...
- Pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid induces hepatocyte death independent of local cytokinesMichel M Murr
Department of Surgery, James A Haley Veterans Hospital, University of South Florida, Tampa 33620, USA
J Surg Res 106:308-13. 2002Kupffer-cell-derived cytokines mediate liver injury, yet macrophage pacification does not abolish hepatocyte injury. We undertook this study to examine the role of pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF) in liver injury.
- Peritoneal cytology in the surgical evaluation of gastric carcinomaN Hayes
The Northern Oesophago Gastric Cancer Unit, The Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Br J Cancer 79:520-4. 1999..Evaluation of peritoneal cytology by these methods may have a role in the selection of patients with the poorest prognosis who may benefit most from adjuvant therapy...
- Dynamics of albumin in plasma and ascitic fluid in patients with cirrhosisJ H Henriksen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Hepatol 34:53-60. 2001BACKGROUND/AIMS: To determine dynamics of albumin in plasma and ascitic fluid of patients with cirrhosis...
- Value of adenosine deaminase (ADA) in ascitic fluid for the diagnosis of tuberculous peritonitis: a meta-analysisArnoldo Riquelme
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:705-10. 2006..used for diagnosing tuberculosis in several locations and although many studies have evaluated ADA levels in ascitic fluid. These studies have defined arbitrary cut-off points creating difficulties in the clinical application of the ..
- Cytomorphology of adult granulosa cell tumor in ascitic fluidKalpana Azad
Department of Pathology, VMMC and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 53:119-21. 2010..The tumor cells are not readily shed in the fluid. A case of a 47-year-old woman with presence of granulosa tumor cells in ascitic fluid is presented. Because of its rarity, AGCTs can be confused with other ovarian tumors.
- Diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients in northeastern Brazil by use of rapid urine-screening testLucia Libanez Bessa Campelo Braga
Hospital Universitario Walter Cantidio, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Rua Professor Costa Mendes 1 608, CEP 60436 170 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 124:141-4. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the sensitivity and specificity of urine test strips for diagnosing SBP in cirrhotic patients with ascites...
- Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry analysis of lysophospholipids in human ascitic fluids: comparison of the lysophospholipid contents in malignant vs nonmalignant ascitic fluidsY J Xiao
Department of Cancer Biology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Anal Biochem 290:302-13. 2001..However, the total phosphate content in ascites samples from patients with ovarian cancer is not significantly different compared to that from patients with nonmalignant disease...
- Tuberculous peritonitis-associated mortality is high among patients waiting for the results of mycobacterial cultures of ascitic fluid samplesKai Ming Chow
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Clin Infect Dis 35:409-13. 2002..Abnormal chest radiograph findings, ascitic fluid lymphocytosis, and biochemical findings for exudates could only identify 33%, 37%, and 53% of the cases, ..
- Ovarian carcinoma cells in serous effusions show altered MMP-2 and TIMP-2 mRNA levelsB Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello N 0310, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Cancer 37:2040-9. 2001..MMP-1 and MMP-2 production predominates over that of MMP-9 in effusions. Increased MMP-2 and reduced TIMP-2 levels are seen in ovarian carcinoma cells in effusions, possibly marking the acquisition of a metastatic phenotype...
- Systemic and peritoneal inflammatory response after laparoscopic or conventional colon resection in cancer patients: a prospective, randomized trialF P K Wu
Department of Surgery, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 46:147-55. 2003..This study was designed to evaluate differences in both the peritoneal and systemic immune response after laparoscopic and conventional surgical approaches...
- Rapid diagnosis of infected ascitic fluid using leukocyte esterase dipstick testingRaj C Butani
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:532-7. 2004b>Ascitic fluid infection is presumptively diagnosed when the fluid polymorphonuclear leukocyte (PMN) concentration equals or exceeds 250 cells/microl...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor activating matrix metalloproteinase in ascitic fluid during peritoneal dissemination of ovarian cancerHiromitsu Yabushita
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aichi Medical University, School of Medicine, Nagakute cho, Aichi Gun, Japan
Oncol Rep 10:89-95. 2003..To this end, MVD, tumor tissue and ascitic fluid levels of VEGF, and MMP activity of ascitic fluid were examined in patients with ovarian cancer and benign ..
- Increased levels of interleukin-10 and transforming growth factor-beta in the plasma and ascitic fluid of patients with advanced ovarian cancerA D Santin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Arkansas, Little Rock, USA
BJOG 108:804-8. 2001OBJECTIVES: To assess expression of the immunosuppressive cytokines IL-10 and TGF-beta in the ascitic fluid and plasma of advanced ovarian cancer patients. DESIGN: A prospective study...
- The PAC-1 dual specificity phosphatase predicts poor outcome in serous ovarian carcinomaVered Givant-Horwitz
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Gynecol Oncol 93:517-23. 2004..The objective of the present study was to investigate the expression and clinical role of dual-specificity phosphatases (DUSP), inhibitors of MAPK signaling, in ovarian cancer cells at this site...
- Malignant effusions: from diagnosis to biologyBen Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Montebello N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Diagn Cytopathol 31:246-54. 2004..The case also is made for potential applications of this rapidly evolving body of knowledge in the diagnosis, classification, and prediction of biological behavior of processes resulting in cryptic effusions at the clinical level...
- Role of cancer antigen-125 from pleural & ascitic fluid samples in non malignant conditionsYatiraj Kalantri
Department of Microbiology, Choithram Hospital and Research Centre, Indore, India
Indian J Med Res 125:25-30. 2007..We undertook this study to evaluate non-specific rise in CA-125 levels in conditions associated with pleural effusion and ascites and also to understand the mechanism of its secretion...
- Detection of cancer cells in effusions from patients diagnosed with gynaecological malignancies. Evaluation of five epithelial markersB Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo
Virchows Arch 435:43-9. 1999..Analysis of all staining results should be based on a thorough morphological examination...
- Nitric oxide in ascitic fluid is an independent predictor of the development of renal impairment in patients with cirrhosis and spontaneous bacterial peritonitisJose Such
Liver Unit and Department of Immunology, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:571-7. 2004..Our aim was to assess whether patients with ascitic fluid infection show increased levels of nitric oxide, and whether this is related to the development of renal ..
- Endometriosis and human infertility: a new investigation into the role of eutopic endometriumFrancesca Minici
Cattedra di Fisiopatologia della Riproduzione Umana, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore UCSC, 00168 Roma, Italy
Hum Reprod 23:530-7. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate if endometriotic peritoneal fluids (EPF) could interfere with endometrial stromal cell (ESC) decidualization and if tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha could be involved in the EPF effect...
- Complement and immunoglobulin levels in serum and ascitic fluid of patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, malignant ascites, and tuberculous peritonitisBulent Yildirim
Department of Internal Medicine, Inonu University School of Medicine and Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Malatya, Turkey
South Med J 95:1158-62. 2002We determined complement and immunoglobulin levels in ascitic fluid and serum of 47 patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, malignant ascites, or tuberculous ascites.
- Peritoneal cytokines predict mortality after surgical treatment of secondary peritonitis in the ratThijs Hendriks
Department of Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Surg 211:263-70. 2010..Early identification of patients most at risk for adverse outcomes would facilitate the decision for aggressive therapy in order to maximally exploit their chance for survival...
- Serial analysis of serum and ascitic fluid levels of soluble adhesion molecules and chemokines in patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitisJ A Girón-González
Servicios de Medicina Interna, Digestivo y Microbiología, Hospital Universitario Puerta del Mar, Cadiz, Spain
Clin Exp Immunol 123:56-61. 2001The aim of this work was the evaluation of serum and ascitic fluid levels of chemokines (IL-8, growth-regulated oncogene (Gro-alpha), and monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1)), and of soluble adhesion molecules (P-selectin, E-selectin, ..
- Hematin is one of the cytotoxic factors in pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid that causes hepatocellular injuryTakashi Ueda
First Department of Surgery, Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Surgery 131:66-74. 2002We recently demonstrated that pancreatitis-associated ascitic fluid (PAAF) contains cytotoxic factor(s), inducing apoptosis in hepatocytes, and that PAAF induces hepatic adenosine triphosphate depletion, hepatocellular acidosis, and ..
- The correlation of adhesions and peritoneal fluid cytokine concentrations: a pilot studyY C Cheong
Section of Reproductive and Developmental Medicine, The Jessop Wing, Central Sheffield University Hospitals, Tree Root Walk, Sheffield S10 2SF, UK
Hum Reprod 17:1039-45. 2002....
- Malignant effusions contain lysophosphatidic acid (LPA)-like activityA M Westermann
Department of Medical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Oncol 9:437-42. 1998..The presence of LPA-like activity and the hypothesis that levels of this bioactivity in effusions of ovarian cancer patients are higher than those in effusions of other cancer patients was studied...
- The role of desmin and N-cadherin in effusion cytology: a comparative study using established markers of mesothelial and epithelial cellsB Davidson
Department of Pathology Division of Cytology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1405-12. 2001..As has previously been shown, a significant number of diagnoses that are based on morphologic examination alone are modified after the use of a broad antibody panel...
- CD105 (Endoglin) expression in breast carcinoma effusions is a marker of poor survivalBen Davidson
Division of Pathology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Breast 19:493-8. 2010..001 and p = 0.038, respectively). Our data suggest that endoglin may be an important therapeutic target in metastatic breast cancer...
- Reinfusion and concentration of ascitic fluid during hemodialysis in a cirrhotic uremic patientC Catalano
Unita Operativa di Nefrologia e Dialisi, Monselice, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 32:164-7. 1998..We describe a patient in whom ascitic fluid was reinfused on the arterial line and ultrafiltrated during standard treatment by using a single dialysis ..
- Defective antitumor function of monocyte-derived macrophages from epithelial ovarian cancer patientsIlyssa O Gordon
The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77230 1439, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:1515-24. 2006..We examined and compared these differences in peripheral blood and ascites of epithelial ovarian cancer patients with peripheral blood of normal donors...
- Polymerase chain reaction for detection of carcinoembryonic antigen-expressing tumor cells on milky spots of the greater omentum in gastric cancer patients: a pilot studyC Sakakura
Department of Digestive Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kawaramachi dori, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Int J Cancer 95:286-9. 2001....
- Expression of CD44 in effusions of patients diagnosed with serous ovarian carcinoma--diagnostic and prognostic implicationsH S Berner
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Montebello
Clin Exp Metastasis 18:197-202. 2000..The similar expression profile of CD44 in carcinoma cells in peritoneal and pleural effusions supports our previous observations and the hypothesis that carcinoma cells in peritoneal effusions are truly metastatic...
- Disseminated single tumor cells as detected by real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction represent a prognostic factor in patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancerUlrich Guller
Surgical Research Unit, Deparment of Surgery, University of Basel, Switzerland
Ann Surg 236:768-75; discussion 775-6. 2002....
- Combination of cytology, fluorescence in situ hybridization for aneuploidy, and reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for human mammaglobin/mammaglobin B expression improves diagnosis of malignant effusionsMichael Fiegl
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Innsbruck University Hospital, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Clin Oncol 22:474-83. 2004..The identification of malignant cells in effusions by conventional cytology is hampered by its limited sensitivity. The aim of this study was to improve tumor cell detection in effusions by molecular approaches...
- Use of liquid-based cytology in serous fluids: a comparison with conventional cytopreparatory techniquesCharlotte Gabriel
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Cytol 48:825-35. 2004..To examine the performance of liquid-based cytology (LBC) on body cavity fluids as compared with conventional cytopreparatory techniques...
- Usefulness of ascitic fluid cholesterol as a marker for malignant ascitesSatya V Rana
Department of Gastroenterology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Med Sci Monit 11:CR136-42. 2005..Therefore, this study was planned to evaluate the diagnostic efficacy of ascitic fluid cholesterol in comparison to the efficiency of ascitic/serum total protein, pH, glucose, total leukocyte count,..
- Compartmentalization of the inflammatory response during acute pancreatitis: correlation with local and systemic complicationsThierry L Dugernier
Department of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, St Luc University Hospital, Hippocrate Avenue, 10 B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:148-57. 2003....
- Validation of automated blood cell counter for the determination of polymorphonuclear cell count in the ascitic fluid of cirrhotic patients with or without spontaneous bacterial peritonitisStefania Angeloni
II Gastroenterologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1844-8. 2003Polymorphonuclear (PMN) cell count in ascitic fluid is the most useful test for the diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)...
- Clinical relevance of matrix metalloproteinase-13 determined with a new highly specific and sensitive ELISA in ascitic fluid of advanced ovarian carcinoma patientsBernd Hantke
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry I, University of Bielefeld, D 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1247-51. 2003..Together with other prognostic markers, determination of MMP-13 in ascitic fluid may help to identify patients at risk for early death and help to individualize adjuvant therapy.
- Haptoglobin expression by shed endometrial tissue fragments found in peritoneal fluidKathy L Sharpe-Timms
Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Research, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women s Health, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Fertil Steril 84:22-30. 2005..To confirm the endometrial glandular epithelial and stromal cells in tissue fragments recovered from peritoneal fluid and to quantify haptoglobin expression...
- Increased levels of gangliosides in the plasma and ascitic fluid of patients with advanced ovarian cancerAlessandro D Santin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
BJOG 111:613-8. 2004To assess the expression of total gangliosides in primary ovarian cancer cell lines, ascitic fluid and plasma of advanced ovarian cancer patients.
- Risk of a first community-acquired spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotics with low ascitic fluid protein levelsC Guarner
Liver Section, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 117:414-9. 1999..of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis has been suggested to be useful in cirrhotic patients with low ascitic fluid protein levels. However, it is unlikely that all such patients need prophylactic treatment...
- Lysophosphatidyl choline, a chemotactic factor for monocytes/T-lymphocytes is elevated in endometriosisA A Murphy
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2110-3. 1998....
- Measurement of bisphenol A levels in human blood serum and ascitic fluid by HPLC using a fluorescent labeling reagentNaotaka Kuroda
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Course of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagasaki University, 1 14 Bunkyo machi, Nagasaki 852 8521, Japan
J Pharm Biomed Anal 30:1743-9. 2003..with fluorescence detection was developed for the determination of bisphenol A (BPA) in human blood serum and ascitic fluid samples...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6, and nitric oxide in sterile ascitic fluid and serum from patients with cirrhosis who subsequently develop ascitic fluid infectionJ Such
Liver Unit, Hospital General Universitario, Alicante, Spain
Dig Dis Sci 46:2360-6. 2001b>Ascitic fluid infection probably results from repeated episodes of bacteremia and seeding of ascitic fluid...
- Serum and ascitic fluid bacterial DNA: a new independent prognostic factor in noninfected patients with cirrhosisPedro Zapater
Unidad Hepática, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 48:1924-31. 2008We tested the hypothesis that the presence of bacterial DNA (bactDNA) in ascitic fluid and serum is associated with decreased survival in patients with cirrhosis...
- Behaviour of cytokine levels in serum and peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosisAlfonsa Pizzo
Department of Gynecological Sciences, University of Messina, Italy
Gynecol Obstet Invest 54:82-7. 2002..Taken together the observed changes may be due both to the increased peritoneal macrophage activity and to the larger recruitment of PBMC and autocrine release by endometriotic cells...
- Evaluation of reagent strips for ascitic fluid leukocyte determination: is it a possible alternative for spontaneous bacterial peritonitis rapid diagnosis?Tarsila C R Ribeiro
Sao Paulo Medical School, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:70-4. 2007In order to evaluate the accuracy of a urine reagent dipstick (Multistix 10SG) to determine ascitic fluid leukocyte count, we prospectively studied 106 cirrhotic patients from April 2003 to December 2004, in two different centers (..
- Potential involvement of hemoglobin and heme in the pathogenesis of peritoneal endometriosisAnne Van Langendonckt
Department of Gynecology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 77:561-70. 2002..To test whether hemoglobin may accumulate in the peritoneal cavity in case of endometriosis and to assess whether heme oxygenases (HO), detoxifying heme, are expressed in ectopic endometrium and peritoneal cells...
- Quantitative detection of disseminated free cancer cells in peritoneal washes with real-time reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction: a sensitive predictor of outcome for patients with gastric carcinomaYasuhiro Kodera
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya Aichi, Japan
Ann Surg 235:499-506. 2002..To evaluate the feasibility of real-time reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) detection of free cancer cells in the peritoneal washes as a prognostic indicator for patients with gastric carcinoma...
- Effect of menstruation and intrapelvic injection of endometrium on inflammatory parameters of peritoneal fluid in the baboon (Papio anubis and Papio cynocephalus)C S Bambra
Institute of Primate Research, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:917-25. 2001..CONCLUSION: Subclinical peritoneal inflammation occurs in baboons during menstruation and after intrapelvic injection of endometrium...
- Interleukin-8 and vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA and protein levels are down-regulated in ovarian carcinoma cells in serous effusionsBen Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo
Clin Exp Metastasis 19:135-44. 2002..Carcinoma cells in pleural and peritoneal effusions show a similar metastatic expression profile, in agreement with our previous findings, supporting the true metastatic nature of ovarian carcinoma cells in ascites...
- Development of a sensitive, specific reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction-based assay for epithelial tumour cells in effusionsM Sakaguchi
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8593, USA
Br J Cancer 79:416-22. 1999..Our method appears to be highly specific and increases the sensitivity of detection of malignant cells; it may be a useful adjunct to routine cytopathological examination...
- Accumulation of selected carotenoids, alpha-tocopherol and retinol in human ovarian carcinoma ascitic fluidFlorian J Schweigert
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Institute of Nutritional Science, University of Potsdam, Potsdam Rehbrucke, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 48:241-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate if an accumulation of carotenoids, alpha-tocopherol and retinol in malignant ascitic fluid in women with ovarian cancer might contribute to a loss of these components from plasma.
- Caveolin-1 expression in ovarian carcinoma is MDR1 independentBen Davidson
Department of Pathology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo
Am J Clin Pathol 117:225-34. 2002..Expression seems MDR1 independent...
- IL-1, IL-6 and TNF-alpha concentrations in the peritoneal fluid of women with pelvic adhesionsY C Cheong
The Jessop Wing, Central Sheffield University Hospitals, Tree Root Walk, Sheffield, S10 2PS, UK
Hum Reprod 17:69-75. 2002..The three pro-inflammatory cytokines interleukin (IL)-1, IL-6 and tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha are involved in adhesion formation/reformation...
- Matrix metalloproteinases (MMP), EMMPRIN (extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer) and mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK): co-expression in metastatic serous ovarian carcinomaBen Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Montebello Oslo, Norway
Clin Exp Metastasis 20:621-31. 2003..These data may expand our understanding regarding the mechanisms by which MMP synthesis is regulated in effusions and possibly affect treatment strategies for this form of malignancy...
- Carbohydrate antigen expression in primary tumors, metastatic lesions, and serous effusions from patients diagnosed with epithelial ovarian carcinoma: evidence of up-regulated Tn and Sialyl Tn antigen expression in effusionsB Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo
Hum Pathol 31:1081-7. 2000..Ovarian carcinoma cells in effusions show up-regulation of Tn and Sialyl Tn, possibly representing a transient phenotypic alteration facilitating metastasis...
- Phenotype and antitumor activity of ascitic fluid monocytes in patients with ovarian carcinomaB Melichar
Departments of Gynecologic Oncology and Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Int J Gynecol Cancer 13:435-43. 2003..We conclude that MO/MA from ascites have elevated proportions of CD14brightCD16+ cells, showing phenotypic features of activation. IFN-gamma induces the cytotoxic and cytostatic activity of MO/MA that is inhibited by CD40Lt...
- Why do bacteria reach ascitic fluid?Ricard Sola
Liver Section, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital del Mar, Passeig Maritim 26 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:351-4. 2002..of bacteria from their intestinal origin, alterations in immune defence mechanisms and deficiencies in the ascitic fluid antimicrobial activity seem to represent the main steps in the pathogenesis of SBP in cirrhosis...
- Prospective study comparing human albumin vs. reinfusion of ultrafiltrate-ascitic fluid after total paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with tense ascitesD Zaak
Heinz Kalk Hospital, Dep of Surgery and Medicine, D 97688 Bad Kissingen, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 39:5-10. 2001..However, according to the costs of instruments and staff and due to the significant allergic reactions caused by ascitic fluid it cannot be considered as a real alternative to albumin substitution.
- Expression levels of the nerve growth factor receptors TrkA and p75 in effusions and solid tumors of serous ovarian carcinoma patientsB Davidson
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Clin Cancer Res 7:3457-64. 2001....
- [Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis as the presenting form of colon adenocarcinoma]M D Mañas García
An Med Interna 22:251-2. 2005
- MUC4 is upregulated in ovarian carcinoma effusions and differentiates carcinoma cells from mesothelial cellsBen Davidson
Department of Pathology, Radiumhospitalet Rikshospitalet Medical Center, University of Oslo, Montebello N 0310 Oslo, Norway
Diagn Cytopathol 35:756-60. 2007..The data in the present study, together with our earlier report, show that MUC4 is an excellent marker for differentiating OC/PPC from both benign and malignant mesothelial cells...
- A Novel Cultue System for Hepatitis C VirusArielle Klepper; Fiscal Year: 2010..The cells to be used are mononuclear cells derived from both peripheral blood (PBMCs) and from ascitic fluid (AMCs)...
- Multifunctional Nanotherapeutics for Cancer Treatment and ImagingTamara Minko; Fiscal Year: 2013..The success of chemotherapeutic treatment of primary ovarian cancer, especially metastatic cells growing in ascitic fluid is limited by intrinsic and acquired resistance of cancer cells and adverse side effects of chemotherapy...
- MRI STUDIES OF ANGIOGENESIS IN OVARIAN CANCERMichal Neeman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The dual mode of growth of ovarian carcinoma as ascitic fluid and as adherent implants on the peritoneal surface creates a unique mode of selective pressure...
- HIV-Human Peritonal Macrophage InteractionsTheresa L Chang; Fiscal Year: 2012..We recently demonstrate that peritoneal macrophages (PMs) are highly abundant in ascitic fluid of patients with cirrhosis and are susceptible to HIV-1 infection...
- TAS::75 0849::TAS MAGNETICALLY ENERGIZED NANOPARTICLES FOR TREATING OVARIAN CANCSTEPHEN BARRY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nanoparticles are readily injected into the tumor-associated-phagocyte-rich ascitic fluid that irrigates multiple peritoneal tumor masses...
- IMMUNE ASSAYS FOR ENZYMES AND ISOZYMES IN CANCERJOEL SHAPER; Fiscal Year: 1980..systematically examining the efficacy of antiserum produced from bovine milk, normal human serum, and human ascitic fluid; determine if a cancer-associated isoenzyme of galactosyltransferase chemically similar to the isoenzyme ..
- Role of lefty in implantationSiamak Tabibzadeh; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results are expected to demonstrate the feasibility of using lefty protein as a target in therapeutic interventions for infertility and related disorders and abortion. ..
- Development of a combination therapy for the treatment of prostate cancerFRANCIS MARKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will advance the clinical potential of this novel anticancer protein. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Host Response in S. aureus Infections: Role of T cellsArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2006..aureus infections. This information may reveal new strategies for the prevention or treatment of S. aureus infections through immunomodulation of the host response to this organism. ..
- Surgical Adhesions: Role of T cells in PathogenesisArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Surfactant protein variants in pediatric lung injuryNeal Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 37th Annual Meeting of the Society for Leukocyte BiologyJoshua Fierer; Fiscal Year: 2004..We encourage students and other trainees to submit abstracts; the SLB gives awards for the best abstracts submitted by students. One of the main purposes of the meeting is to encourage young scientists. ..
- Healing Touch, Immunity, and Fatigue in Breast CancerSusan Lutgendorf; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- TEACHING BIOLOGY THROUGH IMMUNOLOGY FELLOWSHIPSArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, we will also survey each teacher and school district previously in the program in order to determine the effect of the program on science education and student career choices. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PLEURAL LIQUID EXCHANGE AND LUNG MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2007..A specific objective is to develop a method to separate passive from active transport properties of pericardium and diaphragm, tissues that have both mesothelium and interstitium. ..
- Biobehavioral-Cytokine Interactions in Ovarian CancerSusan Lutgendorf; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings will have implications for innovative behavioral and pharmacological intervention strategies for ovarian cancer patients. ..
- Antiidiotype mAb:an Antiangiogenic /Antimetastatic AgentFRANCIS MARKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2002..According to the Angiogenesis Foundation, diseases that may be treatable with angiogenesis-based drugs encompass markets representing 20% of the $322 billion global pharmaceutical market. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION ANALYSIS OF PHAGOCYTE PROTEINSMary Dinauer; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide further insight into the superoxide- generating system of the phagocyte, which may lead to new approaches in modulating superoxide formation in the inflammatory response and host defense. ..
- Glucocorticoids and Programming of the Hypertensive Vascular PhenotypeOmid Khorram; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Human Endometrial Nitric Oxide: Regulation and FunctionOmid Khorram; Fiscal Year: 2003..This pilot study should shed light on regulation and function of human endometrial NO pathway, an uninvestigated area of research with profound clinical significance. ..
- Liposomal Disintegrin: Novel and Effective Antitumor Agent Phase IFRANCIS MARKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2005 Phagocytes Gordon ConferenceMary Dinauer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The program will provide opportunities for participation of scientists at all levels and we will particularly promote the participation of junior investigators, postdoctoral trainees and "new investigators to the field". ..
- The Role of TIMP-1 in Uterine PhysiologyWarren Nothnick; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will broaden our understanding on the role of TIMP-1 in uterine physiology and may help to develop new strategies to treat uterine disorders such as infertility, endometriosis and uterine cancer. ..
- MACROPHAGES, OXIDATION, AND ENDOMETRIOSISAna Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2003..This project will also evaluate the efficacy of antioxidants to alter the levels of these markers. The program is supported by an administrative core and a tissue/cell culture core. ..
- ENDOMETRIOTIC HAPTOGLOBIN ALTERS MACROPHAGE FUNCTIONKATHY TIMMS; Fiscal Year: 2006..As a result, novel non-invasive strategies for early detection and innovative treatment of endometriosis may be developed that markedly reduce the health burden of this malady. ..
- Clinical Decision Rule to Identify Children with Intra-Abdominal InjuriesJames Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- MENTORING IN RESEARCH ON ENDOMETRIOSISAna Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Glycodelin may increase NK cell activity thus decreasing tumor growth. ..
- PULMONARY INTERSTITIAL MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2004..lungs. These studies will measure steric exclusion of albumin in interstitial cuffs of vessels ranging from arterioles to large vessels. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference on Microbial PolysaccharidesArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2004..This meeting will provide a unique environment for scientific exchange between a diverse group of investigators in the area of microbial polysaccharides. ..
- Effect of leukoreduction on infection risk in traumaAvery Nathens; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers in Ovarian CancerElizabeth Swisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies may identify new prognostic or diagnostic markers in ovarian cancer. Such markers could then be tested in prospective trials to determine their clinical utility. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Innate Immunity to Salmonella InfectionsJoshua Fierer; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will compare isogenic strains of salmonella that express either the group B or 0 LPS antigens in C3 deficient and neutropenic mice, in order to determine how the structure of the LPS affects virulence in mice. ..
- Mechanism of HIV-1 inhibition by alpha-defensin-1Theresa Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Healing Touch and Immunity in Advanced Cervical CancerSusan Lutgendorf; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Estrogen regulation of uterine microRNAs: Novel factors in MMP-9 regulationWarren Nothnick; Fiscal Year: 2008..Enhancing our understanding on the regulation of MMP-9 expression may lead to the establishment of novel approaches to counteract mis-expression of this protease and the diseases associated with it. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Flow Cytometry to Detect Human Tumor Cells in Body FluidAWTAR GANJU KRISHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Compare data collected from flow cytometric analysis with that obtained from cytopathology and immunocytochemistry routinely performed on these specimens for diagnostic purpose. ..
- Defensins in STI-mediated enhancement of HIV InfectionTheresa Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..A longer term outcome could be the development of novel prevention strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PERITONEAL DELIVERY OF ANTINEOPLASTIC MACROMOLECULESMICHAEL FLESSNER; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Effects of Hyaluronan on Interstitial ConvectionMICHAEL FLESSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this research project will provide a basis for future work designed to preserve or enhance the transport characteristics of peritoneal tissue during chronic dialysis. ..
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FLP-102: Rationally Engineered Antiviral ProteinOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The preclinical data on FLP-102 will be essential to further explore the utility of this novel recombinant PAP mutant for Phase II. ..
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..