Genomes and Genes
Summary: The thin, yellow, serous fluid secreted by the mammary glands during pregnancy and immediately postpartum before lactation begins. It consists of immunologically active substances, white blood cells, water, protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- Bovine colostrum as a biologic in clinical medicine: a review--Part II: clinical studiesW G Struff
Center for Transfusion Medicine Muenster, German Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service West gGmbH, Muenster, Germany
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 46:211-25. 2008The value of bovine colostrum as a biologic in medicine is documented in clinical trials and supported by relatively large databases containing case reports and anecdotal findings...
- Immune components of bovine colostrum and milkK Stelwagen
Dairy Science and Technology, AgResearch Ltd, Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag 3123, Hamilton, 3240 New Zealand
J Anim Sci 87:3-9. 2009b>Colostrum and milk provide a complete diet for the neonate. In ruminants, colostrum is also the sole source of initial acquired immunity for the offspring. Milk therefore plays an important role in mammalian host defense...
- Immunohistochemical identification of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) antigen in the heart and lymphoid system of three-week-old colostrum-deprived pigsP G Halbur
Iowa State University, Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Ames 50011, USA
Vet Pathol 32:200-4. 1995..virus (PRRSV) antigens were detected by a streptavidin-biotin complex technique in tissues of 3-week-old colostrum-deprived pigs that had been inoculated intranasally with PRRSV and had developed moderate respiratory disease...
- Vaccine-induced antibodies linked to bovine neonatal pancytopenia (BNP) recognize cattle major histocompatibility complex class I (MHC I)Fabian Deutskens
Institute of Virology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany
Vet Res 42:97. 2011..Alloantibodies reacting with blood leukocytes of calves were detected in serum and colostrum of dams, which have given birth to calves affected by BNP...
- Intensification of antiretroviral therapy with raltegravir or addition of hyperimmune bovine colostrum in HIV-infected patients with suboptimal CD4+ T-cell response: a randomized controlled trialHelen Byakwaga
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Infect Dis 204:1532-40. 2011..This study aimed to determine the effect of intensification of cART with raltegravir or addition of hyperimmune bovine colostrum (HIBC) on CD4(+) T-cell count in such patients.
- GlycoSpectrumScan: fishing glycopeptides from MS spectra of protease digests of human colostrum sIgANandan Deshpande
Department of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales, 2109, Australia
J Proteome Res 9:1063-75. 2010..GlycoSpectrumScan is freely available at www.glycospectrumscan.org ...
- Secretory IgA-Fcα receptor interaction modulating phagocytosis and microbicidal activity by phagocytes in human colostrum of diabeticsEduardo Luzia França
Post Graduate Program in Immunology and Parasitology of the Institute of Biological and Health Sciences, Federal University of Mato Grosso, Barra do Garças, MT, Brazil
APMIS 119:710-9. 2011..Accordingly, we studied the colostrum of hyperglycemic women to assess SIgA interactions with Fcα receptors of macrophages as well as the functional ..
- Injury switches melatonin production source from endocrine (pineal) to paracrine (phagocytes) - melatonin in human colostrum and colostrum phagocytesGerlândia N Pontes
Laboratory of Chronopharmacology, Department of Physiology, Institute of Bioscience, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pineal Res 41:136-41. 2006..In this paper, we studied immune-pineal interactions in colostrum obtained from healthy puerperae and mothers with mastitis taking into account that, (a) melatonin levels in milk ..
- Associations between fatty acids in colostrum and breast milk and risk of allergic diseaseA J Lowe
Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic Epidemiology, School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Exp Allergy 38:1745-51. 2008..However, there is controversy in this area, and we have previously observed that high levels of n-3 fatty acid (FA) in colostrum are associated with increased risk of allergic sensitization.
- Effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on immune variables in highly trained cyclistsCecilia M Shing
School of Human Movement Studies, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia 4072
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:1113-22. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of low-dose bovine colostrum protein concentrate (CPC) supplementation on selected immune variables in cyclists...
- IgA antibodies, TGF-beta1 and -beta2, and soluble CD14 in the colostrum and development of atopy by age 4Erkki Savilahti
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Finland erkki savilahtihus fi
Pediatr Res 58:1300-5. 2005..We studied whether IgA, soluble CD14 (sCD14), or transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in colostrum could affect the development of atopy in children up to age 4...
- [Reproducibility of bovine neonatal pancytopenia (BNP) via the application of colostrum]Paula Schröter
Institut für Tierzucht und Vererbungsforschung, Stiftung Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 124:390-400. 2011..The objectives of our investigation were to test if BNP could be reproduced using colostrum of cows with a BNP history and pre-colostral calves from farms where BNP has not been observed...
- Relative contribution of colostrum from Maedi-Visna virus (MVV) infected ewes to MVV-seroprevalence in lambsV Alvarez
Instituto Vasco de Investigacion y Desarrollo Agrario NEIKER, Sanidad Animal, 48160 Derio, Vizcaya, Spain
Res Vet Sci 78:237-43. 2005Maedi-visna virus (MVV) seroprevalence associated with consumption of colostrum from seropositive ewes was investigated in 276 housed lambs from birth to 300 days-old...
- Perspectives on immunoglobulins in colostrum and milkWalter L Hurley
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Nutrients 3:442-74. 2011Immunoglobulins form an important component of the immunological activity found in milk and colostrum. They are central to the immunological link that occurs when the mother transfers passive immunity to the offspring...
- Colostrum ingested during the first day of life by exclusively breastfed healthy newborn infantsWalter Santoro
Hospital das Clinicas de Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pediatr 156:29-32. 2010To determine the mass of colostrum ingested by exclusively breastfed newborn infants during the first 24 hours of extrauterine life.
- Analysis of the presence of cutaneous and mucosal papillomavirus types in ductal lavage fluid, milk and colostrum to evaluate its role in breast carcinogenesisMassimiliano Cazzaniga
Division of Chemoprevention, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 114:599-605. 2009..multiplex PCR-based method the prevalence of alpha mucosal and beta cutaneous HPV DNA in 90 ductal lavages, colostrum and milk...
- A survey of bovine colostrum composition and colostrum management practices on Pennsylvania dairy farmsS I Kehoe
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:4108-16. 2007b>Colostrum composition and management were surveyed via sample and data collection from 55 dairy farms in Pennsylvania...
- Fractionized milk composition during removal of colostrum and mature milkC E Ontsouka
Institute of Animal Genetics, Nutrition and Housing, University of Berne, Bremgartenstr 109a, CH 3012 Berne, Switzerland
J Dairy Sci 86:2005-11. 2003Experiments were designed to study compositional differences in colostrum and mature milk and during the course of milk removal...
- Reduction in heat-induced gastrointestinal hyperpermeability in rats by bovine colostrum and goat milk powdersC Prosser
AgResearch Ruakura, 2001 Hamilton, New Zealand
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:650-4. 2004..rats were assigned to one of three dietary groups [standard diet (Cont; n = 8), standard diet plus bovine colostrum powder (BColost 1.7 g/kg; n = 8), or goat milk powder (GMilk 1...
- The structural basis for the prevention of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug-induced gastrointestinal tract damage by the C-lobe of bovine colostrum lactoferrinRafia Mir
Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Biophys J 97:3178-86. 2009..We believe this indicates that C-lobe of lactoferrin can be exploited for the prevention of NSAID-induced gastropathy...
- Bovine Neonatal Pancytopenia: is this alloimmune syndrome caused by vaccine-induced alloreactive antibodies?Max Bastian
Paul Ehrlich Institut, Paul Ehrlich Strasse 51 59, D 63225 Langen, Germany
Vaccine 29:5267-75. 2011..Instead, the syndrome is induced after ingestion of colostrum, the first milk that supplies the calf with maternal antibodies...
- Effect of on-farm commercial batch pasteurization of colostrum on colostrum and serum immunoglobulin concentrations in dairy calvesS M Godden
Department of Clinical and Population Sciences, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:1503-12. 2003..batch pasteurization on immunoglobulin (IgG) concentrations and the fluid and feeding characteristics of colostrum and to compare serum IgG concentrations in calves fed fresh versus pasteurized colostrum...
- Ingestion of colostrum from specific cows induces Bovine Neonatal Pancytopenia (BNP) in some calvesAnnette Friedrich
Clinic for Ruminants LMU Munich, Oberschleissheim, Germany
BMC Vet Res 7:10. 2011..field observations have led to the hypothesis that the aetiological principle may be transmitted to calves via colostrum.The objective of the present study was to verify whether ingestion of colostrum from dams of known BNP calves ..
- Heat treatment of bovine colostrum. I: effects of temperature on viscosity and immunoglobulin G levelS McMartin
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 89:2110-8. 2006The objective of this study was to identify the critical temperature, at or below which heat-treatment of bovine colostrum would produce no significant changes in viscosity, IgG concentration, or Ig activity...
- Feeding heat-treated colostrum to neonatal dairy heifers: effects on growth characteristics and blood parametersJ A Elizondo-Salazar
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:3265-73. 2009..lymphocyte counts, health scores, growth, and starter intake after receiving unheated or heat-treated colostrum. First-milking colostrum was collected from Holstein cows and frozen at -20 degrees C to accumulate a large ..
- Evaluation of the effects of oral colostrum supplementation during the first fourteen days on the health and performance of preweaned calvesA C B Berge
College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman 99164, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:286-95. 2009..The objective of this clinical trial was to determine the effect of colostrum supplementation of the milk replacer ration on morbidity, mortality, feed intake, and weight gain of preweaned ..
- Milk immunoglobulins and complement factorsH Korhonen
Agricultural Research Centre of Finland, Food Research, FIN 31600 Jokioinen, Finland
Br J Nutr 84:S75-80. 2000The importance of colostrum for the growth and health of newborn offspring is well known...
- Development of intestinal immunoglobulin absorption and enzyme activities in neonatal pigs is diet dependentA R Jensen
Department of Animal Science and Animal Health, Division of Animal Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, DK-1870 Frederiksberg, Denmark
J Nutr 131:3259-65. 2001Uptake of colostrum just after birth is essential to stimulate intestinal growth and function, and in many species, including pigs, colostrum also provides immunological protection via the absorption of immunoglobulin G (IgG)...
- Compartmentalization of small ruminant lentivirus between blood and colostrum in infected goatsGiuliano Pisoni
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Hygiene and Public Health, University of Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Virology 369:119-30. 2007..SRLV) subtype A (Maedi-Visna virus) and B (caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus) variants was analyzed in colostrum and peripheral blood mononuclear cells of four naturally infected goats...
- Comparative pathogenicity of nine US porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) isolates in a five-week-old cesarean-derived, colostrum-deprived pig modelP G Halbur
College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 8:11-20. 1996One hundred forty-six 5-week- old cesarean-derived, colostrum-deprived (CDCD) pigs were inoculated intranasally with 1 of 9 US porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) isolates...
- Colostrum and milk-derived peptide growth factors for the treatment of gastrointestinal disordersR J Playford
Department of Gastroenterology, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 72:5-14. 2000b>Colostrum is the specific first diet of mammalian neonates and is rich in immunoglobulins, antimicrobial peptides, and growth factors...
- Co-administration of the health food supplement, bovine colostrum, reduces the acute non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced increase in intestinal permeabilityR J Playford
Department of Gastroenterology, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W120NN, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 100:627-33. 2001..Present prophylactic measures are suboptimal and novel therapies are required. Bovine colostrum is a cheap, readily available source of growth factors, which reduces gastrointestinal injury in rats and mice...
- Developmental changes in the milk fat globule membrane proteome during the transition from colostrum to milkT A Reinhardt
Periparturient Diseases of Cattle Research Unit, USDA, Agricultural Research Service, National Animal Disease Center, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Dairy Sci 91:2307-18. 2008..iTRAQ), was used to quantify protein changes in milk fat globule membranes (MFGM) that were isolated from d 1 colostrum and compared with MFGM from d 7 milk...
- Nutritional plane and selenium supply during gestation affect yield and nutrient composition of colostrum and milk in primiparous ewesA M Meyer
Center for Nutrition and Pregnancy, Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58108, USA
J Anim Sci 89:1627-39. 2011..to investigate effects of nutritional plane and Se supply during gestation on yield and nutrient composition of colostrum and milk in first parity ewes. Rambouillet ewe lambs (n = 84, age = 240 ± 17 d, BW = 52.1 ± 6...
- Detection of Torque teno sus virus types 1 and 2 by nested polymerase chain reaction in sera of sows at parturition and of their newborn piglets immediately after birth without suckling colostrum and at 24 hr after suckling colostrumChenga Tshering
United Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 74:315-9. 2012..6 sows (Sows 1-6) at parturition and in sera of their newborn piglets immediately after birth without suckling colostrum was performed by nested polymerase chain reaction (nPCR)...
- Prophylactic application of bovine colostrum ameliorates murine colitis via induction of immunoregulatory cellsPeggy Bodammer
Division of Gastroenterology, Centrum of Internal Medicine, University of Rostock, 18057 Rostock, Germany
J Nutr 141:1056-61. 2011..Herein, we addressed the question whether bovine colostrum, the first milk produced by mammals, is able to prevent dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis in mice...
- Effect of human milk and colostrum on Entamoeba histolyticaCiler Akisu
Department of Parasitology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, 35340 Inciralti Izmir, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 10:741-2. 2004Many defense factors of the mother's colostrum or milk protect infants from intestinal, respiratory and systemic infections. In the present study, we investigated the effect of colostrum and mature human milk on E...
- Evaluation of horizontal transmission of bovine viral diarrhea virus type 1a from experimentally infected white-tailed deer fawns (Odocoileus virginianus) to colostrum-deprived calvesMaría E Negrón
Department of Comparative Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Am J Vet Res 73:257-62. 2012To assess the transmission of bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) from experimentally infected white-tailed deer fawns to colostrum-deprived calves by use of a BVDV strain isolated from hunter-harvested white-tailed deer.
- Effects of prolonged breastfeeding and colostrum fatty acids on allergic manifestations and infections in infancyE Morales
Center for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Clin Exp Allergy 42:918-28. 2012..In developed countries World Health Organization recommendation of 6 months' exclusive breastfeeding is under debate...
- The nutriceutical bovine colostrum truncates the increase in gut permeability caused by heavy exercise in athletesTania Marchbank
Digestive Diseases, Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G477-84. 2011..We examined bovine colostrum, a natural source of growth factors, as a potential moderator of such effects...
- [Interference of the blood glucose control in the transition between phases I and II of lactogenesis in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus]Angela M de Morais Oliveira
Banco de Leite Humano, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, MG, Brasil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 52:473-81. 2008..The transition between those phases is characterized by an increase of the lactose concentration in the colostrum. This study aimed to evaluate the interference of type 1 Diabetes mellitus in the transition between phases I ..
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the efficacy of bovine colostrum against human rotavirus infectionMizuho Inagaki
United Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Gifu University, Yanagido, Gifu, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:680-2. 2010We found that skimmed and concentrated bovine late colostrum (SCBLC) obtained from normal cows at 6-7 d after parturition exhibited high potency in inhibiting replication of human rotavirus (HRV) in vitro...
- Kinetics of anti-Fasciola IgG antibodies in serum and milk from dairy cows during lactation, and in serum from calves after feeding colostrum from infected damsMercedes Mezo
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Centro de Investigaciones Agrarias de Mabegondo Xunta de Galicia, Carretera AC 542 de Betanzos a Mesón do Vento, Galicia, Spain
Vet Parasitol 168:36-44. 2010..In newborn calves fed colostrum from infected dams, the levels of anti-Fasciola antibodies increased rapidly, then decreased sharply and were no ..
- Binding of Norovirus virus-like particles (VLPs) to human intestinal Caco-2 cells and the suppressive effect of pasteurized bovine colostrum on this VLP bindingKosuke Murakami
Department of Applied Molecular Biosciences, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:541-7. 2010..Then the suppressive effect of pasteurized bovine colostrum was analyzed on the VLP binding to Caco-2 cells by immunoblotting...
- A survey of dairy calf management practices in Canada that affect animal welfareE Vasseur
Department of Animal Sciences, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
J Dairy Sci 93:1307-15. 2010..6% of farms relied on the dam to provide colostrum and none checked colostrum quality or passive transfer of immunity, 4) dehorning and removal of extra teats ..
- Changes in colostrum of Murrah buffaloes after calvingA K Dang
National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, 132 001, Haryana, India
Trop Anim Health Prod 41:1213-7. 2009b>Colostrum samples were collected from 8 Murrah buffaloes on days 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 after calving. Levels of IgG averaged 54.0 mg/ml at calving, then decreased significantly (P < 0.01). IgA and IgM on day 1 were 3.22 mg/ml and 5...
- Oral administration of immunoglobulin G-enhanced colostrum alleviates insulin resistance and liver injury and is associated with alterations in natural killer T cellsT Adar
Liver Unit, Department of Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Exp Immunol 167:252-60. 2012..Bovine colostrum has therapeutic effects in a variety of chronic infections. However its effectiveness in NASH was never studied...
- Colostrinin: a naturally occurring compound derived from mammalian colostrum with efficacy in treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer'sMichael G Stewart
The Open University, Laboratory of Functional Neurocytology, Department of Life Sciences, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:2553-9. 2008..It might also be of considerable utility as a veterinary nutraceutical for companion animals...
- Bovine colostrum supplementation attenuates the decrease of salivary lysozyme and enhances the recovery of neutrophil function after prolonged exerciseGlen Davison
Department of Sport and Exercise Science, Aberystwyth University, Carwyn James Building, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3FD, UK
Br J Nutr 103:1425-32. 2010Oral supplementation with bovine colostrum (COL) has been shown to enhance immunity in human subjects...
- Secretory immunoglobulin A obtained from pooled human colostrum and milk for oral passive immunizationCristiane B Carbonare
Department of Immunology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 16:574-81. 2005..The aim of the present study was to obtain a SIgA preparation from pooled human colostrum and milk, which should maintain the essential properties of the antibodies suitable for clinical oral ..
- Impact of maternal probiotic-supplemented dietary counseling during pregnancy on colostrum adiponectin concentration: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled studyRaakel Luoto
Department of Paediatrics, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Early Hum Dev 88:339-44. 2012..The breast milk bioactive substances such as adiponectin, have a presumably long-term impact upon the health and well-being of a child...
- Dynamic changes of immunoglobulin concentrations in pig colostrum and serum around parturitionI Markowska-Daniel
Department of Swine Diseases, National Veterinary Research Institute, al Partyzantow 57, 24 100 Puławy, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 13:21-7. 2010The aim of the study was the determination of IgA, IgM and IgG concentrations in porcine serum and colostrum, in order to evaluate their variations in the perinatal period, as well as to clarify whether there is a correlation between ..
- Potential prophylactic value of bovine colostrum in necrotizing enterocolitis in neonates: an in vitro study on bacterial attachment, antibody levels and cytokine productionHeather J L Brooks
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Otago School of Medical Sciences, New Zealand
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 48:347-54. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine whether spray-dried bovine colostrum demonstrated potential in vitro as a prophylactic for NEC...
- Effect of secretory immunoglobulin A on bacterial translocation in an enterocyte-lymphocyte co-culture modelT Sawai
Section of Pediatric Surgery, University of Michigan, Mott Children's Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0245, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 17:275-9. 2001..5 +/- 1 log10CFU/ml). Inhibition of BT was negated when sIgA and mannose were removed by washing prior to E. Coli addition (3.6 +/- 0.5 log10CFU/ml), suggesting that both inhibitors act through bacterial binding...
- Soluble CD14 enriched in colostrum and milk induces B cell growth and differentiationD Filipp
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, and The Arthritis and Immune Disorder Research Centre, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2M9
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:603-8. 2001..Consistent with biological activity of sCD14 in vitro, its administration to neonatal mice enhances Ig secretion. The results presented establish sCD14 as a naturally occurring soluble B cell mitogen of mammalian origin...
- Immune modulatory function of abundant immune-related microRNAs in microvesicles from bovine colostrumQi Sun
Jiangsu Engineering Research Center for microRNA Biology and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University School of Life Sciences, Nanjing, 210093, China
Protein Cell 4:197-210. 2013b>Colostrum provides essential nutrients and immunologically active factors that are beneficial to newborns...
- An overlap of breastfeeding during late pregnancy is associated with subsequent changes in colostrum composition and morbidity rates among Peruvian infants and their mothersGrace S Marquis
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
J Nutr 133:2585-91. 2003..Further in-depth studies are warranted to determine the cumulative effects associated with a breast-feeding/pregnancy overlap on infant and maternal outcomes...
- Enterocin C, a class IIb bacteriocin produced by E. faecalis C901, a strain isolated from human colostrumAntonio Maldonado-Barragán
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatología y Tecnología de Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 133:105-12. 2009..bacteriocin was purified from culture supernatants of Enterococcus faecalis C901, a strain isolated from human colostrum. Enterocin C consists of two distinct peptides, named EntC1 and EntC2, whose complementary action is required ..
- Assessment of the bacterial diversity of human colostrum and screening of staphylococcal and enterococcal populations for potential virulence factorsEsther Jiménez
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avda Puerta de Hierro, S N, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Res Microbiol 159:595-601. 2008In contrast to breast milk, little is known about the bacterial composition of human colostrum. The objective of this work was to analyze the bacterial diversity of colostrum obtained from healthy women and to characterize the dominant ..
- Nutritional, hormonal, and environmental effects on colostrum in sowsC Farmer
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Dairy and Swine R and D Centre, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1M 1Z3
J Anim Sci 87:56-64. 2009It is widely recognized that an early and high intake of colostrum is a major determinant of piglet survival during the early suckling period...
- Bacteriological, biochemical, and immunological modifications in human colostrum after Holder pasteurisationI Espinosa-Martos
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:560-8. 2013The objective of this work was to evaluate the effect of Holder pasteurisation of human colostrum on a variety of microbiological, biochemical, and immunological parameters.
- Human colostrum T lymphocytes and their effector cytokines actively aid the development of the newborn immune systemL Ciardelli
Neonatal Immunology Research Laboratories, Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 21:781-6. 2008b>Colostrum contains soluble and cellular components, the latter mainly T lymphocytes. We expanded in vitro colostrum T lymphocytes (CoTL) to evaluate phenotype and capability of cytokine production...
- Breastfeeding, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in colostrum, and infant mental developmentMonica Guxens
Center for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatrics 128:e880-9. 2011..Breastfeeding has been associated with improved neurodevelopment in children. However, it remains unknown to what extent nutritional advantages of breast milk may explain this relationship...
- Effect of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica infection on acute-phase proteins and some mineral levels in colostrum-breast milk-fed or colostrum-breast milk-deprived sheepP A Ulutas
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Adnan Menderes University, Isikli, Turkey
Vet Res Commun 30:485-95. 2006..A total of 26 Chios breed sheep were fed colostrum-breast milk (control, n = 15)or were deprived afterseparation from their mother immediately after birth(..
- Effects of gestational plane of nutrition and selenium supplementation on mammary development and colostrum quality in pregnant ewe lambsT J Swanson
Center for Nutrition and Pregnancy, Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105, USA
J Anim Sci 86:2415-23. 2008To examine effects of nutritional plane and Se supplementation on colostrum quality and mammary development, individually fed, pregnant Rambouillet ewe lambs were allotted randomly to 1 of 6 treatments in a 2 x 3 factorial arrangement...
- Expressing and storing colostrum antenatally for use in the newborn periodSuzanne G Cox
Tasmanian Lactation Consultants, PO Box 1342, Lindisfarne TAS 7015, Australia
Breastfeed Rev 14:11-6. 2006b>Colostrum is universally acknowledged as the perfect first food for infants. Oxytocin is the hormone of both labour and lactation but the literature shows that it does not always induce labour...
- Colostrinin proline-rich polypeptide complex from ovine colostrum--a long-term study of its efficacy in Alzheimer's diseaseJerzy Leszek
Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of Wrocław, Wrocław, Poland
Med Sci Monit 8:PI93-6. 2002Colostrinin, a proline-rich polypeptide complex (PRP) isolated from ovine colostrum, with immunoregulatory and procognitive properties, has shown positive effects in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Morphological changes and virus distribution in the ileum of colostrum-deprived calves inoculated with non-cytopathic bovine viral diarrhoea virus genotype-1M Pedrera
Department of Comparative Pathology, Veterinary Faculty, University of Cordoba, Edificio Sanidad Animal, Campus de Rabanales, Cordoba, Spain
J Comp Pathol 141:52-62. 2009Eight colostrum-deprived calves were inoculated intranasally with a non-cytopathic strain of bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) genotype-1 and killed in batches of two at 3, 6, 9 and 14 days post-inoculation (dpi)...
- Obtaining hyperimmune anti-Cryptosporidium parvum ovine colostrum. A study of the humoral immune response in immunized sheepS Martín-Gomez
Departamento de Patologia Animal Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, C Profesor Pedro Cármenes s n, 24071 Leon, Spain
Parasitol Res 98:119-29. 2006..Serum was collected at first immunization and thereafter every 2 to 4 weeks. Colostrum and milk were collected as well. All samples were assayed for C...
- Fatty acid profile of colostrum and milk of ewes supplemented with fish meal and the subsequent plasma fatty acid status of their lambsM M Or-Rashid
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
J Anim Sci 88:2092-102. 2010..during late gestation and early lactation would increase the proportion of docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3) in colostrum and milk and 2) examine the subsequent effect on the plasma fatty acid profile of nursing lambs...
- The effect of fermented liquid feeding on the faecal microbiology and colostrum quality of farrowing sowsV Demecková
Int J Food Microbiol 79:85-97. 2002..on the lactic acid bacteria (LAB):Coliform (L:C) ratio in the faeces of farrowing sows and the quality of sow colostrum. Eighteen multiparous sows were randomly allocated to one of three dietary treatments for approximately 2 weeks ..
- Prevention and treatment of influenza with hyperimmune bovine colostrum antibodyWy Ching Ng
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e13622. 2010..However, preparation of appropriate Ab in large scale, quickly and on a yearly basis is viewed as a significant logistical hurdle for this approach to control seasonal influenza...
- Diabetes induced immunological and biochemical changes in human colostrumG Morceli
Post Graduate Program in Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mastology of Botucatu Medical School, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Paediatr 100:550-6. 2011This article describes the changes and relationships between biochemical and immunological parameters in the colostrum and serum of diabetic women.
- Colostrum supplementation restores insulin-like growth factor -1 levels and alters muscle morphology following massive small bowel resectionPrue M Pereira-Fantini
Intestinal Failure and Clinical Nutrition Group, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Atlantic Philanthropy Building, Flemington Road, Parkville 3052, Victoria, Australia
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 32:266-75. 2008b>Colostrum protein concentrate (CPC) contains a high level of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). IGF-1 and IGF binding protein (IGFBPs) may play an important role during the postresection adaptation response...
- Effect of colostrum immunoglobulin concentration on immunity in Majorera goat kidsC Rodriguez
Department of Animal Science, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria University, Arucas 35413, Spain
J Dairy Sci 92:1696-701. 2009The aim of the research was to evaluate the effects of immunoglobulin G (IgG) colostrum concentration on goat kid immune status when the total amount of IgG fed was constant...
- Transfer of humoral and cell-mediated immunity via colostrum in pigsKaterina Nechvatalova
Veterinary Research Institute, Hudcova 70, 621 00 Brno, Czech Republic
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 142:95-100. 2011The first aim of our study was to obtain information on the transmission of antigen-specific antibodies from colostrum to respiratory tract mucosa in piglets...
- Feeding colostrum, its composition and feeding duration variably modify proliferation and morphology of the intestine and digestive enzyme activities of neonatal calvesU Blättler
Division of Nutritional Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, CH 3012 Berne, Switzerland
J Nutr 131:1256-63. 2001We studied the effects of amounts of colostrum consumed on intestinal morphology and proliferation and digestive enzyme activities in neonatal calves...
- Bovine colostrum is superior to enriched formulas in stimulating intestinal function and necrotising enterocolitis resistance in preterm pigsHanne K Møller
Department of Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Br J Nutr 105:44-53. 2011..We hypothesised that bovine colostrum and milk formulas enriched with sialic acids (SL), gangliosides (Gang) or osteopontin (OPN) would improve ..
- Nucleosides and nucleotides: natural bioactive substances in milk and colostrumE Schlimme
Bundesanstalt für Milchforschung, Institut für Chemie und Physik, Kiel, Germany
Br J Nutr 84:S59-68. 2000..From the technochemical point of view, the ribonucleoside pattern is influenced by thermal treatment of milk. In addition ribonucleosides are useful indicators for quantifying adulterations of milk and milk products...
- Changes in composition of colostrum of Egyptian buffaloes and Holstein cowsAlaa M Abd El-Fattah
Dairy Science Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
BMC Vet Res 8:19. 2012Changes in colostrum composition of Egyptian buffaloes and Holstein cows collected at calving, 6, 12, 24, 48, 72, 96, 120 h and after 14 days of parturition were studied...
- Preoperative oral application of immunoglobulin-enriched colostrum milk and mediator response during abdominal surgeryEdwin Bölke
Department of Surgery, University of Ulm, Germany
Shock 17:9-12. 2002..We conclude that prophylactic oral application of lactobin reduces perioperative endotoxemia and prevents reduction of ENC, suggesting a stabilization of gut barrier during abdominal surgery...
- Antibody responses in serum, colostrum, and milk of swine after infection or vaccination with transmissible gastroenteritis virusE H Bohl
Infect Immun 6:289-301. 1972..with special reference to the titers and the immunoglobulin (Ig) class of TGE neutralizing antibodies in colostrum and milk...
- Postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome induced after experimental inoculation of cesarean-derived, colostrum-deprived piglets with type 2 porcine circovirusS R Bolin
Virus and Prion Diseases of Livestock Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 13:185-94. 2001Cesarean-derived, colostrum-deprived pigs (n = 23) were inoculated intranasally and subcutaneously with a low cell culture passage of type 2 porcine circovirus...
- Ganglioside composition of differentiated Caco-2 cells resembles human colostrum and neonatal rat intestineKareena L Schnabl
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Br J Nutr 101:694-700. 2009..content and individual ganglioside composition of differentiated Caco-2 cells are similar to those of human colostrum and neonatal rat intestine...
- Induction of HIV-1 MPR(649-684)-specific IgA and IgG antibodies in caprine colostrum using a peptide-based vaccineStephanie M Dorosko
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dartmouth Medical School, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Vaccine 26:5416-22. 2008Induction of antigen-specific antibodies against HIV-1 in colostrum and milk may help prevent breast milk transmission of the virus...
- Isolation of bovine immunoglobulins resistant to peptic digestion: new perspectives in the prevention of failure in passive immunization of neonatal calvesA C R C Porto
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular e Bioagentes Patogênicos, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Bandeirantes 3900, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Dairy Sci 90:955-62. 2007..and disease susceptibility are greatly influenced by failure in passive immunization, normally provided by colostrum ingestion just after birth...
- Heat-treatment of bovine colostrum. II: effects of heating duration on pathogen viability and immunoglobulin GS Godden
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 89:3476-83. 2006Batches (30-L) of first-milking bovine colostrum, inoculated with Mycoplasma bovis (10(8) cfu/mL), Listeria monocytogenes (10(6) cfu/mL), Escherichia coli O157:H7 (10(6) cfu/mL), Salmonella enteritidis (10(6) cfu/mL), and Mycobacterium ..
- Effect of supplementing sows' feed with alpha-tocopherol acetate and vitamin C on transfer of alpha-tocopherol to piglet tissues, colostrum, and milk: aspects of immune status of pigletsA Pinelli-Saavedra
Centro de Investigacion en Alimentacion y Desarrollo, A C, Carretera a la Victoria, Km 0 6, P O Box 1735, Hermosillo, Sonora 83000, Mexico
Res Vet Sci 85:92-100. 2008..AT was determined in colostrum, milk, piglet plasma (cord blood) and tissues at birth and on day 21...
- Modulation by colostrum-acquired maternal antibodies of systemic and mucosal antibody responses to rotavirus in calves experimentally challenged with bovine rotavirusV Parreño
Instituto de Virologia, CICV y A, INTA, Castelar, Bs As, Argentina
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 100:7-24. 2004The effect of colostral maternal antibodies (Abs), acquired via colostrum, on passive protection and development of systemic and mucosal immune responses against rotavirus was evaluated in neonatal calves...
- Bovine neonatal immunologyG M Barrington
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 17:463-76. 2001..and dependent on passively acquired maternal immunoglobulins, immune cells, and other substances from colostrum for protection...
- Analysis of bovine immunoglobulin G in milk, colostrum and dietary supplements: a reviewLeyton W Gapper
Fonterra Research Centre, Dairy Farm Road, Private Bag 11029, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:93-109. 2007..The review also discusses nutraceutical applications, regulatory issues, stability of IgG and the significance of primary reference material in IgG analysis...
- Bovine colostrum as a biologic in clinical medicine: a review. Part I: biotechnological standards, pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic characteristics and principles of treatmentW G Struff
Center for Transfusion Medicine, Munster, German Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service West gGmbH, Munster, Germany
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 45:193-202. 2007..In cows, goats, horses and some other animal species, most immunoglobulins are obtained from the colostrum, the first milk after birth, via the gut but in humans the majority of immunoglobulins, and those of the IgG-..
- Effect of heat and high-pressure treatments on microbiological quality and immunoglobulin G stability of caprine colostrumA J Trujillo
Centre Especial de Recerca Planta de Tecnologia dels Aliments CERPTA, CeRTA, XiT, Departament de Ciencia Animal i dels Aliments, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
J Dairy Sci 90:833-9. 2007..nor Listeria monocytogenes were detected, whereas coagulase-positive staphylococci were found in various colostrum samples with an overall mean of 1.02 log cfu/mL...
- Hyperimmune bovine colostrum specific for recombinant Cryptosporidium parvum antigen confers partial protection against cryptosporidiosis in immunosuppressed adult miceM C Jenkins
Immunology and Disease Resistance Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vaccine 17:2453-60. 1999..Serum was collected at each immunization and first colostrum was collected after parturition; all were assayed for Cryptosporidium-specific antibodies (Ab)...
- Feeding heat-treated colostrum or unheated colostrum with two different bacterial concentrations to neonatal dairy calvesJ A Elizondo-Salazar
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:4565-71. 2009The objective of this study was to determine the effects of feeding heat-treated colostrum or unheated colostrum of different bacterial counts on passive transfer of immunity in neonatal dairy calves...
- Effects of feeding heat-treated colostrum on passive transfer of immune and nutritional parameters in neonatal dairy calvesJ L Johnson
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:5189-98. 2007The first objective of this study was to describe the effect of on-farm heat treatment of colostrum on colostral bacteria counts and IgG concentrations. The second objective was to describe the effect of feeding heat-treated (vs...
- Association of FcRn Heavy Chain Encoding Gene (FCGRT) Polymorphisms with IgG Content in Bovine ColostrumRan Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Anim Biotechnol 20:242-6. 2009..of the bovine FCGRT (encoding the FcRn heavy chain) and their relationship to the IgG concentration in bovine colostrum. Four single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP), classified into five haplotypes, were identified in a total of 49 ..
- Milk supplemented with immune colostrum: protection against rotavirus diarrhea and modulatory effect on the systemic and mucosal antibody responses in calves experimentally challenged with bovine rotavirusV Parreño
Instituto de Virologia, CICV y A INTA, CC 25, 1712 Castelar, Bs As, Argentina
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 136:12-27. 2010..All calves received control colostrum (CC; VN=65,536; IgG(1)=16,384) prior to gut closure followed by the milk supplemented with immune colostrum (VN=..
- Hyperimmune bovine colostrum in the treatment of shigellosis in children: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trialH Ashraf
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Acta Paediatr 90:1373-8. 2001..Hyperimmune bovine colostrum (HBC) is a potentially innovative immunological option in the management of shigellosis together with ..
- Effect of heat treatment of bovine colostrum on bacterial counts, viscosity, and Immunoglobulin G concentrationJ A Elizondo-Salazar
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:961-7. 2010A study was conducted to identify the optimal temperature and time at which heat treatment of bovine colostrum would least change viscosity and IgG concentrations yet reduce bacterial count...
- Specific IgG activity against diarrheagenic bacteria in bovine immune milk and effect of pH on its antigen-binding activity upon heatingWei Gao
College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Normal University, Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory for Molecular and Medical Biotechnology, and Jiangsu Engineering Research Center for Biomedical Function Materials, Nanjing 210046, P R China
J Dairy Res 77:220-4. 2010Bovine colostrum and milk antibodies of calving and lactating cows immunized with a multivalent vaccine consisting of whole cells of three different species of pathogenic bacteria including four strains of enterotoxigenic Escherischia ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial of Lactoferrin in AsthmaAtul Varadhachary; Fiscal Year: 2005..is a multifunctional immunomodulatory protein found in serum and exocrine secretions such as milk and colostrum where it acts as a component of the primary host defense system...
- Lactogenic immunity/probiotics: Effect on neonatal gut immunityLinda J Saif; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our innovative studies will first assess the impact of colostrum (col)/milk and key maternal immunomediators (TGF2, IL4) on colonization by probiotics...
- Humanization of hFcRn Mice for Physiological Evaluation of Therapeutic AntibodiesMICHAEL VAN WILES; Fiscal Year: 2013..FcRn functions across many tissues and is critical for neonatal acquisition of maternal IgG via colostrum and milk, the pulmonary secretion of IgG and bidirectional transport of both IgG and immune complexes across the ..
- Oral anti-TNF antibody for inflammatory bowel diseaseDaniel E Tracey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Avaxia is developing AVX-470h, an oral polyclonal anti-TNF antibody therapeutic for IBD from the early milk (colostrum) of immunized cows...
- Oral anti-TNF antibody for inflammatory bowel diseaseBarbara S Fox; Fiscal Year: 2010..Avaxia is developing an oral polyclonal anti-TNF antibody therapeutic for IBD from the early milk (colostrum) of immunized cows...
- EFFECT OF COLOSTRUM ON GUT MATURATION AND HOST DEFENSEW Allan Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will determine how breastfeeding prevents age-related neonatal inflammatory diseases ..
- Antibody protection against SIV transmissionSallie R Permar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our previous work isolating HIV Envelope-specific monoclonal antibodies from colostrum B cells of HIV-infected women has identified novel HIV Env-specific neutralizing mucosal antibodies produced in ..
- TREAT-VCUArun J Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2013..aim 2 proposes a phase 2a "proof of concept" placebo- controlled, dose-ranging study of Imm 124-E (bovine colostrum enriched with IgG anti-lipopolysaccharide (LPS)) in subjects with severe AH...
- Transmission-blocking potential of novel HIV Env-specific mucosal antibodiesSallie R Permar; Fiscal Year: 2013..isolation of HIV-1 Env-specific B cells and recombinant production of their monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) from colostrum of HIV-infected, lactating women...
- EFFECT OF COLOSTRUM ON GUT MATURATION AND HOST DEFENSEW Walker; Fiscal Year: 1991..Using established techniques, we will determine if colostrum and its lymphoid cells modify the response to ingested antigen in the neonate by examining if systemic priming ..
- RESPIRATORY SYNCYTIAL VIRUS BRONCHIOLITIS IN SHEEPArlene Stecenko; Fiscal Year: 1991..First, the effect of age at the time of inoculation will be assessed. Three age groups will be studied: i) colostrum-fed 1 week old lambs, ii) lambs whose level of maternally-acquired antibody to RSV has reached a minimum, and ..
- T CELL REGULATION OF CARIES IMMUNITY/PERIODONTAL DISEASEHiroshi Kiyono; Fiscal Year: 1992..antigen-specific secretory IgA (S-IgA) responses in mucosal associated secretions including saliva, tears, colostrum and mucus secretions of the gastrointestinal and upper respiratory tracts, and that antigen-specific IgA ..
- BETA-CAROTENE IN HUMAN MILK: QUANTITATION AND TRANSPORTLouise Canfield; Fiscal Year: 1993..our objective in Phase I is to identify the major carotenoids and retinoids in pooled samples of mature milk and colostrum. Diurnal variation of beta-carotene and retinal will be determined in mature milk samples...
- CONTROL OF CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS BY NEUTRALIZING ANTIBODIESLANCE PERRYMAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..41. 2: Produce colostrum that neutralizes Cryptosporidium parvum sporozoites and merozoites...
- NOVEL METHOD FOR INTESTINAL ABSORPTION OF ANTIBODIESKeith Mostov; Fiscal Year: 1999..IgG is transported across the placenta to the fetus. After birth lgA in the milk and colostrum protects the GI tract, but these antibodies are not specifically absorbed into the infants circulation...
- MODULATION OF IN VITRO CRYPTOSPORIDIUM PARVUM INFECTIONTimothy Flanigan; Fiscal Year: 1993..We propose to evaluate whether and how different immunologic agents such as hyperimmune cow colostrum, polyclonal and monoclonal antisporozoite antibodies inhibit cryptosporidial infection of the human HT29...
- PROCESSING OF NUTRITIONAL ASPECTS OF BREAST MILKKHEM SHAHANI; Fiscal Year: 1980..Also, arrangements are being made to collect colostrum and transitional milk samples so that the nutritional aspects of colostrum, transitional, and mature human milks ..
- Colostrum From Mothers Treated With CyclosporineKRISTINA THIAGARAJAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The immediate goal is to describe and compare the quantity of immune factors and prolactin present in colostrum from those mothers' treated with immunosuppresive agents and those mother's who are not...
- STRAIN SPECIFICITY OF ANTI-CRYPTOSPORIDIUM IGGJOSEPH CRABB; Fiscal Year: 1992..Hyperimmune anti-Cryptosporidium bovine colostrum, has shown a great deal of promise in limited human studies, providing therapeutic benefit to 7 of 8 ..
- IDENTIFYING CRYPTOSPORIDIUM PROTECTIVE ANTIGEN GENESJOSEPH CRABB; Fiscal Year: 1992..No therapeutic drugs are available; however, bovine colostrum that contains anti-Cryptosporidium antibodies has proven efficacious in animal studies and patients...
- SECRETORY IGA SYSTEM--MOLECULAR-CELLULAR INTERACTIONSJiri Mestecky; Fiscal Year: 1990..Thus, we shall study the regulatory role of T cells isolated from human colostrum, the quintessential product of the secretory IgA system...
- IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR CRYPTOSPORIDIUM INFECTIONSJOSEPH CRABB; Fiscal Year: 1990..Two independent groups have produced hyperimmune bovine anti-C. parvum colostrum which has been successful in the treatment of at least five cases of human cryptosporidiosis...
- Topical Anti-TNF Antibody for Oral MucositisBarbara Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..In this proposal, Avaxia is isolating anti- TNF antibody from the early milk (colostrum) of immunized cows...
- Mother's Soothing: Metabolic and Physiologic AdvantagesLawrence Gray; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., sucrose, formula milk, and colostrum-during and not during crying;2) Are vulnerable infants (i.e...
- MATERNAL-FETAL TRANSFER OF ANTI-HEL ANTIBODYMargaret Keller; Fiscal Year: 1990..Our preliminary studies suggest that transplacental and postnatal transfer via colostrum and milk of an IdXE positive anti-HEL monoclonal antibody from A/J mothers to their offspring results in ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL FACTORS AFFECTING HUMAN LACTATIONMargaret Neville; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Epo as a Rescue Agent for Perinatal Hypoxia-IschemiaSandra Juul; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Nonhematopoietic Developmental Functions of EPOSandra Juul; Fiscal Year: 2004..We feel these experiments will provide important specific insights into the regulation of neonatal intestinal growth and injury. ..
- MINIMAL ENTERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS IN NEONATESDouglas Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) In utero, the fetal intestine is unresponsive to GLP-2. These hypotheses will be tested using a TPN-fed, colostrum-deprived, neonatal pig model with these aims: Aim 1: Quantify the physiological dose response of GLP-2 on ..
- Development Expression of Chemokines and Their ReceptorsDARLENE CALHOUN; Fiscal Year: 2002..We further propose that defining circulating concentrations of chemokines critical for neutrophil migration would be essential to understanding their role in both health and disease. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EXPRESSION OF G-CSF IN THE PLACENTADARLENE CALHOUN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since inhibitors of sialidase are commercially available, these studies will provide the experimental rationale for testing a new therapeutic approach to the treatment of lung injury. ..
- LENTIVIRAL VARIATION AND AIDSJulie Overbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Collectively these studies will define the interplay between the properties of the infecting virus, the immune response and replication fitness in SIV/HIV pathogenesis. ..
- Evaluation of Anti-endotoxin Vaccine for Human UseAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, these studies will lead to phase II and Ill studies for the prevention and treatment of sepsis. ..
- Early events during infection with anthraxAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SIALIC ACID MODULATION REGULATES NEUTROPHIL DIAPEDESISAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will define a new mechanism for a rapidly adaptable, temporally- restricted local response to inflammation. This proposal will provide new targets and additional approaches to the treatment of inflammation. ..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS, APOPTOSIS AND DRUG RESISTANCEIstvan Boldogh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PREVENTION OF HIV SHEDDING IN WOMEN--TRIAL OF VITAMIN AJulie Overbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2003..If this preliminary result is confirmed in a full-scale clinical trial, vitamin A supplementation may offer a simple inexpensive intervention to decrease heterosexual and vertical transmission of HIV-1 in the developing world. ..
- TRANSPORT GENE EXPRESSION AND DRUG ACCUMULATION IN MILKPatrick McNamara; Fiscal Year: 2004..The identification of the mammary epithelial carrier proteins, their genes, and factors that control their regulation are the ultimate, long-term goals of this research program. ..
- Etiologic studies on EMND: An animal model for ALSHussni Mohammed; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data obtained from these pilot studies will represent a major breakthrough towards the understanding of the mechanism of the motor neuron disease and lay the foundation for more thorough investigation. ..
- A Plant-Derived, Multi-Component Tuberculosis VaccineAMANDA WALMSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF FELV REPLICATION AND PATHOGENESISJulie Overbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2004..In this regard, it is striking that in both FeLV and HIV infection, there is selection for T-cell tropic, cytopathic variants in the host, despite the many differences between these viruses. ..
- Nipah Virus Marker Vaccine and Companion Diagnostic TestJames Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IgA inducing peptideD Estes; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the proposed studies will begin to examine determine the potential relationship between IGIP and clinical abnormality in IgA production. ..
- CCR5 and CXCR4 Binding Chemokines and Oral HIV InfectionGrace John Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Host Factors in Susceptibility to Chlamydial DiseaseKYLE RAMSEY; Fiscal Year: 2006....