Genomes and Genes
Summary: Raised area at the infundibular region of the HYPOTHALAMUS at the floor of the BRAIN, ventral to the THIRD VENTRICLE and adjacent to the ARCUATE NUCLEUS. It contains the terminals of hypothalamic neurons and the capillary network of hypophyseal portal system, thus serving as a neuroendocrine link between the brain and the PITUITARY GLAND.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Tanycytes of the hypothalamic median eminence form a diet-responsive neurogenic nicheDaniel A Lee
Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Neurosci 15:700-2. 2012..Using genetic fate mapping, we found that median eminence tanycytes generate newborn neurons...
- Expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and its receptors in the median eminence cells with sensitivity to stressLaurent Givalois
Cerebral Plasticity Laboratory, Formation de Recherche en Evolution 2693 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, University of Montpellier II, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier, France
Endocrinology 145:4737-47. 2004The median eminence (ME) is considered as the final common pathway connecting the nervous and endocrine systems...
- Soluble factors guide gonadotropin-releasing hormone axonal targeting to the median eminenceM J Gibson
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Endocrinology 141:3065-71. 2000Axons of GnRH neurons terminate at the median eminence in the medial basal hypothalamus (MBH) of the brain early in development...
- Expression of fos and in vivo median eminence release of LHRH identifies an active role for preoptic area kisspeptin neurons in synchronized surges of LH and LHRH in the eweGloria E Hoffman
Department of Biology, Morgan State University, 1700 East Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland 21251, USA
Endocrinology 152:214-22. 2011..With a modified push-pull cannula in vivo LHRH release from the median eminence was sampled in luteal phase ewes, ewes undergoing an LH surge for 2-4 h, and postsurge animals whose LH surge ..
- Expression of a dominant negative FGF receptor in developing GNRH1 neurons disrupts axon outgrowth and targeting to the median eminenceJohn C Gill
Department of Integrative Physiology and the Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0354, USA
Biol Reprod 74:463-72. 2006..neurons that synthesize and release gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GNRH1) extend their axons to the median eminence (ME) to establish neurosecretory contacts necessary for hormone secretion...
- Kisspeptin is essential for the full preovulatory LH surge and stimulates GnRH release from the isolated ovine median eminenceJeremy T Smith
Department of Physiology, Building 13F, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3880, Australia
Endocrinology 152:1001-12. 2011..stimulation of GnRH neurons, we examined the origin of kisspeptin neuronal fibers in the external zone of the median eminence (ME) using neuronal tracing and immunohistochemical techniques...
- The design of barriers in the hypothalamus allows the median eminence and the arcuate nucleus to enjoy private milieus: the former opens to the portal blood and the latter to the cerebrospinal fluidEsteban M Rodriguez
Facultad de Medicina, Instituto de Anatomia, Histologia y Patologia, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia, Chile
Peptides 31:757-76. 2010..located at the endothelial cells and in the circumventricular organs, such as the choroid plexuses (CP) and median eminence (ME), is displaced to specialized ependymal cells...
- An increase in kisspeptin-54 release occurs with the pubertal increase in luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone-1 release in the stalk-median eminence of female rhesus monkeys in vivoKim L Keen
Wisconsin National Primate Research Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53715 1299, USA
Endocrinology 149:4151-7. 2008..This study measures the release of kisspeptin-54 in the stalk-median eminence (S-ME) during puberty and examines its potential role in the pubertal increase in LHRH-1 release in female ..
- Influence of age and 17beta-estradiol on kisspeptin, neurokinin B, and prodynorphin gene expression in the arcuate-median eminence of female rhesus macaquesDominique H Eghlidi
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Endocrinology 151:3783-94. 2010..3 receptor (encoded by NK3), and kappa-opioid receptor (encoded by KOR), in the female rhesus macaque ARC-median eminence (ARC-ME)...
- Tanycyte pyroglutamyl peptidase II contributes to regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis through glial-axonal associations in the median eminenceEdith Sanchez
Tupper Research Institute and Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Tufts Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Endocrinology 150:2283-91. 2009..Whether PPII has any role in the region where axons containing hypophysiotropic TRH terminate, the median eminence, is unknown...
- Gene expression in arcuate nucleus-median eminence of rats treated with leptin or ciliary neurotrophic factorSuresh Ambati
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 2771, USA
Biofactors 31:133-44. 2007..ICV) injection of leptin and CNTF on gene expression in micropunched hypothalamic arcuate nucleus-median eminence (ARC-ME) complex samples from rats...
- Photoperiodically driven changes in Fos expression within the basal tuberal hypothalamus and median eminence of Japanese quailS L Meddle
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council Group on Photoperiodism and Reproduction, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UG, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 17:8909-18. 1997..Importantly, this activation occurred before the LH rise. Median eminence activation appeared within glial cells, whereas activated infundibular nucleus cells were neuronal, providing ..
- Identification of cGnRH-II in the median eminence of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica)Stefan Clerens
Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology and Immunological Biotechnology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Naamsestraat 59, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gen Comp Endocrinol 131:48-56. 2003..we described the presence of cGnRH-II in the quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) and chicken (Gallus gallus) median eminence using highly specific antibodies directed against a polypeptide corresponding to the C-terminal portion of ..
- Alternate cadmium exposure differentially affects the content of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and taurine within the hypothalamus, median eminence, striatum and prefrontal cortex of male ratsA I Esquifino
, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Arch Toxicol 75:127-33. 2001..In control rats GABA content decreased with age in the median eminence and in anterior, mediobasal and posterior hypothalamus, prefrontal cortex and the striatum...
- A novel developmental role for kisspeptin in the growth of gonadotrophin-releasing hormone neurites to the median eminence in the mouseZ Fiorini
Centre for Neuroendocrinology, Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, University of Otago School of Medical Sciences, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Neuroendocrinol 22:1113-25. 2010..in other neurones, we investigated whether KISS1 may play a role in the normal growth of GnRH neurites to the median eminence. A reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction demonstrated the expression of Kiss1 mRNA in the embryonic ..
- Capsaicin increases GFAP and glutamine synthetase immunoreactivity in rat arcuate nucleus and median eminenceChuma O Okere
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19129, USA
Neuroreport 15:255-8. 2004..c. capsaicin (after 75 min) on astroglial cells in the rat arcuate nucleus-median eminence (ARC-ME). Compared to vehicle, capsaicin significantly increased GFAP and GS immunoreactivity in the ARC-ME...
- Progesterone decreases tyrosine hydroxylase phosphorylation state and increases protein phosphatase 2A activity in the stalk-median eminence on proestrous afternoonBin Liu
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, Illinois 62901 6523, USA
J Endocrinol 204:209-19. 2010..is associated with dephosphorylation of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and reduced TH activity in the stalk-median eminence (SME), which contributes to the proestrous prolactin surge in rats...
- Morphological evidence for direct interaction between kisspeptin and gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons at the median eminence of the male goat: an immunoelectron microscopic studyShuichi Matsuyama
Laboratory of Neurobiology, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan
Neuroendocrinology 94:323-32. 2011..Kisspeptin-ir cell bodies and fibers in the arcuate nucleus (ARC) and median eminence (ME) were fewer in intact male goats compared with castrated animals...
- Paraventricular nucleus neurons producing neurotensin after lipopolysaccharide treatment project to the median eminenceElodie Loum-Ribot
Laboratoire des Régulations Neuroendocriniennes, EA2972, Universite Bordeaux 1, Avenue des Facultes, 33405 Talence, France
Brain Res 1030:294-6. 2004..Combining in situ hybridization with a retrograde neuronal marker, we demonstrated that neurotensin-containing neurons in the paraventricular nucleus project to the median eminence.
- Glial-gonadotrophin hormone (GnRH) neurone interactions in the median eminence and the control of GnRH secretionS R Ojeda
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 20:732-42. 2008..The available evidence suggests that glial cells of the median eminence regulate GnRH secretion via two related mechanisms...
- The hypothalamic median eminence and its role in reproductive agingWeiling Yin
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1204:113-22. 2010The median eminence at the base of the hypothalamus serves as an interface between the neural and peripheral endocrine systems...
- Definitive evidence for the existence of morphological plasticity in the external zone of the median eminence during the rat estrous cycle: implication of neuro-glio-endothelial interactions in gonadotropin-releasing hormone releaseV Prevot
INSERM U 422, IFR 22, Neuroendocrinologie et Physiopathologie Neuronale, Place de Verdun, Lille, France
Neuroscience 94:809-19. 1999Despite intense investigation, the demonstration of morphological plasticity in the external zone of the median eminence concerning the gonadotropin-releasing hormone system has never been reported...
- Inhibition of metastin (kisspeptin-54)-GPR54 signaling in the arcuate nucleus-median eminence region during lactation in ratsS Yamada
Laboratory of Reproductive Science, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Endocrinology 148:2226-32. 2007..Quantitative RT-PCR revealed that the KiSS-1 mRNA level was significantly lower in the arcuate nucleus (ARC)-median eminence region in lactating ovariectomized (OVX) and estrogen-treated OVX rats than in nonlactating controls...
- Melanin-concentrating hormone stimulates the release of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone and gonadotropins in the female rat acting at both median eminence and pituitary levelsS R Chiocchio
Instituto de Neurobiologia, Buenos Aires 1414, Argentina
Biol Reprod 64:1466-72. 2001The purpose of this study was to investigate whether melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) acts directly on the median eminence and on the anterior pituitary of female rats regulating LHRH and gonadotropin release...
- Ultrastructural evidence of kisspeptin-gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) interaction in the median eminence of female rats: implication of axo-axonal regulation of GnRH releaseY Uenoyama
Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
J Neuroendocrinol 23:863-70. 2011..functional interaction between kisspeptin and gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neuronal elements at the median eminence in female rats to clarify a possibility that kisspeptin directly stimulates GnRH release at the nerve end...
- Cadmium exposure differentially modifies the circadian patterns of norepinephrine at the median eminence and plasma LH, FSH and testosterone levelsA Lafuente
Laboratorio de Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Vigo, Campus de Orense, Las Lagunas, 32004 Orense, Spain
Toxicol Lett 146:175-82. 2004..work was designed to analyze the cadmium effects on time-of-day variations of norepinephrine (NE) content in median eminence and on plasma levels of luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and testosterone in ..
- Variation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase synthesis in the median eminence during the rat estrous cycle: an additional argument for the implication of vascular blood vessel in the control of GnRH releaseC Knauf
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U422, Institut Fédératif de Recherches 22, Unité de Neuroendocrinologie et Physiopathologie Neuronale, 59045 Lille Cedex, France
Endocrinology 142:4288-94. 2001Recent studies from our laboratory suggested that the vascular endothelium of the median eminence was involved via nitric oxide secretion in the modulation of GnRH release during the estrous cycle...
- Activation of erbB-1 signaling in tanycytes of the median eminence stimulates transforming growth factor beta1 release via prostaglandin E2 production and induces cell plasticityVincent Prevot
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
J Neurosci 23:10622-32. 2003..Earlier studies suggested that tanycytes, an ependymoglial cell type of the median eminence, regulate LHRH release during the estrous cycle by undergoing plastic changes that alternatively allow or ..
- Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone nerve terminals, tanycytes and neurohaemal junction remodelling in the adult median eminence: functional consequences for reproduction and dynamic role of vascular endothelial cellsV Prevot
INSERM, Jean Pierre Aubert Research Center, U837, Development and Plasticity of the Postnatal Brain, Lille, France
J Neuroendocrinol 22:639-49. 2010..areas within the hypothalamus are involved in the secretion of gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH), the median eminence of the hypothalamus, where the nerve terminals are located, plays a particularly critical role in the release ..
- Role of estradiol in the dynamic control of tanycyte plasticity mediated by vascular endothelial cells in the median eminenceSandrine De Seranno
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 837, Bâtiment, Biserte, Place de Verdun, 59045 Lille Cedex, France
Endocrinology 151:1760-72. 2010..In the median eminence of the hypothalamus, endothelial cells are key players in the plasticity of tanycytes (specialized astroglia) ..
- Astrocytes in the arcuate nucleus and median eminence that take up a fluorescent dye from the circulation express leptin receptors and neuropeptide Y Y1 receptorsOrnsiri Cheunsuang
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Glia 52:228-33. 2005..several different dyes and markers are found to accumulate rapidly in cells in the arcuate nucleus and median eminence, and the capillaries in this region appear specialised for exchange of molecules...
- Neurochemistry and plasticity of the median eminence and neural pituitary lobe in relation to background adaptation of Xenopus laevisDiane C A W van Wijk
Department of Cellular Animal Physiology, Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, European Graduate School of Neuroscience, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1163:524-7. 2009..but also mesotocin and met-enkephalin from both neurohemal areas in the pituitary neural lobe and in the median eminence. We also show that the external zone of the median eminence is plastic, depending in size on the state of ..
- Leptin stimulates growth hormone secretion via a direct pituitary effect combined with a decreased somatostatin tone in a median eminence-pituitary perifusion studyRoberta Saleri
Department of Animal Production, Veterinary Biotechnology, Food Safety, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Neuroendocrinology 79:221-8. 2004..In some experiments, pituitary slices were coincubated with stalk median eminence (SME)...
- Regulation of gonadotropin releasing hormone release by neuropeptide Y at the median eminence during the preovulatory period in ewesJ P Advis
Department of Animal Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
Neuroendocrinology 77:246-57. 2003The median eminence (ME) of the hypothalamus is known to be an important brain site where hypophysiotropic release might be regulated by excitatory and inhibitory signals impinging on their neuronal terminals...
- Evidence for a spontaneous nitric oxide release from the rat median eminence: influence on gonadotropin-releasing hormone releaseC Knauf
, , 59045 Lille Cedex, France
Endocrinology 142:2343-50. 2001..NO is secreted at the median eminence (ME), the common termination field for the antehypophysiotropic neurons, under the stimulation of other ..
- Deficiency of dopamine in the median eminence of Snell dwarf miceW W Morgan
Endocrinology 109:2069-75. 1981
- T(3) implantation mimics photoperiodically reduced encasement of nerve terminals by glial processes in the median eminence of Japanese quailTakashi Yamamura
Division of Biomodeling, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, 464 8601, Nagoya, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 324:175-9. 2006..interaction between gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) nerve terminals and glial endfeet in the median eminence (ME)...
- Ventromedial arcuate nucleus communicates peripheral metabolic information to the suprachiasmatic nucleusChun Xia Yi
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, Meibergdreef 33, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 147:283-94. 2006..Due to variation of injection sites, tracer was also injected into the subependymal layer of the median eminence (seME), which showed similar projection patterns as the vmARC...
- Phosphorylation state of tyrosine hydroxylase in the stalk-median eminence is decreased by progesterone in cycling female ratsBin Liu
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, IL 62901 6523, USA
Endocrinology 149:1462-9. 2008..study, we examined enzyme activity and phosphorylation state of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) in the stalk-median eminence of cycling female rats on proestrus and estrus and related these to circulating progesterone levels...
- Morphologic evidence that neurokinin B modulates gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion via neurokinin 3 receptors in the rat median eminenceSally J Krajewski
Department of Pathology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Comp Neurol 489:372-86. 2005..interweaving and close apposition of GnRH and proNKB-immunoreactive (ir) fibers was observed within the rat median eminence, where GnRH axons expressed NK3R immunoreactivity...
- Changes of prolactin regulatory mechanisms in aging: 24-h rhythms of serum prolactin and median eminence and adenohypophysial concentration of dopamine, serotonin, (gamma-aminobutyric acid, taurine and somatostatin in young and aged ratsA I Esquifino
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular III, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense, Madrid 28040, Spain
Exp Gerontol 39:45-52. 2004Twenty-four hour rhythmicity of serum prolactin and median eminence and anterior pituitary content of dopamine (DA), serotonin (5HT), gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), taurine and somatostatin were examined in 2 months-old and 18-20 months-..
- Rhythmic variation in gamma-aminobutyric acid(A)-receptor subunit composition in the circadian system and median eminence of Syrian hamstersG Naum O
, , Universidad Nacional de Quilmes, , B1876BXD Pcia. de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neurosci Lett 310:178-82. 2001..beta1 and beta3 were characterized by Western blot analysis in the hamster suprachiasmatic nuclei, retina and median eminence. A nocturnal maximum in the level of GABA(A) receptor beta1 subunit at midday and midnight (12:00 and 00...
- Effects of chronic bromocriptine treatment on tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) mRNA expression, TH activity and median eminence dopamine concentrations in ageing ratsP S MohanKumar
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 13:261-9. 2001..or exogenous prolactin was monitored by measuring tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) activity in the stalk median eminence of middle-aged cycling female rats (10-12 months), old constant oestrous rats (18-20 months) and old ..
- Estradiol coupling to endothelial nitric oxide stimulates gonadotropin-releasing hormone release from rat median eminence via a membrane receptorV Prevot
INSERM, U 422, Unité de Neuroendocrinologie et Physiopathologie Neuronale, Lille, France
Endocrinology 140:652-9. 1999The median eminence (ME), which is the common termination field for adenohypophysiotropic systems, has been shown to produce nitric oxide (NO), a signaling molecule involved in neuroendocrine secretion...
- Immunocytochemical evidence for growth hormone-releasing hormone in the tanycytes of the median eminence of the ratJose Carretero
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Neuroscience of Castilla y Leon, University of Salamanca, Spain
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 61:209-16. 2002..to analyse the potential existence and structure of a GHRH-transporting tuberoinfundibular system in the rat median eminence. The immunocytochemical analysis using anti-GHRH revealed an intense immunoreaction in the ependimary cells, ..
- Possible role of glutamate, aspartate, glutamine, GABA or taurine on cadmium toxicity on the hypothalamic pituitary axis activity in adult male ratsA Lafuente
Laboratorio de Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Vigo, Las Lagunas, Orense, Spain
Biometals 15:183-7. 2002..The contents of glutamine, glutamate, aspartate, GABA and taurine in the median eminence, anterior, mediobasal and posterior hypothalamus, and in prefrontal cortex in adult male rats exposed to 272...
- Differential effects of colchicine on central dopaminergic neuronal activity and prolactin secretion in estrogen-primed ovariectomized ratsShu Chuan Yang
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chin J Physiol 46:15-8. 2003..b>Median eminence DOPAC levels exhibit a diurnal change between morning and afternoon as previously shown...
- Leptin regulates growth hormone-releasing factor, somatostatin, and alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone but not neuropeptide Y release in rat hypothalamus in vivo: relation with growth hormone secretionHajime Watanobe
Division of Internal Medicine, Clinical Research Center, International University of Health and Welfare, Otawara, Tochigi 324 8501, Japan
J Neurosci 22:6265-71. 2002..Leptin was infused into the median eminence-arcuate nucleus complex at three different concentrations, i.e., 1.0 (normal feeding level), 3...
- Hypothalamic thyrotropin-releasing hormone mRNA responses to hypothyroxinemia induced by sleep deprivationCarol A Everson
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E85-93. 2002....
- Physiological role of salsolinol: its hypophysiotrophic function in the regulation of pituitary prolactin secretionBéla E Tóth
Neuroendocrine Research Laboratory, Department of Human Morphology and Developmental Biology, Semmelweis University, Tuzolto u 58, Budapest H 1094, Hungary
Neurotoxicol Teratol 24:655-66. 2002..Moreover, high affinity binding sites for SAL have been detected in areas, like median eminence (ME) and the neuro-intermediate lobe (NIL) that are known terminal fields of the tuberoinfundibular DAergic (..
- Opioid control of prolactin secretion in late pregnant rats is mediated by tuberoinfundibular dopamine neuronsZane B Andrews
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology and Neuroscience Research Centre, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, P O Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
Neurosci Lett 328:60-4. 2002..These data indicate that endogenous opioid neurons facilitate PRL secretion at the end of pregnancy by suppressing TIDA neuronal activity...
- Fasting stimulates tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuronal activity and inhibits prolactin secretion in oestrogen-primed ovariectomized rats: involvement of orexin A and neuropeptide YY C Hsueh
Department of Physiology, School of Life Science, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Neuroendocrinol 14:745-52. 2002..by measuring concentrations of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (DOPAC) or 3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine in the median eminence. i.c.v...
- Neuroendocrine plasticity in GnRH release during rat estrous cycle: correlation with molecular markers of synaptic remodelingGurcharan Kaur
Neurochemistry and Neuroendocrinology Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar 143005 Pb, India
Brain Res 954:21-31. 2002..in the gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons in the preoptic area (POA) and their terminals in the median eminence-arcuate (ME-ARC) region are reported to occur during ovarian cycle that may be involved in the GnRH release ..
- Estradiol affects axo-somatic contacts of neuroendocrine cells in the arcuate nucleus of adult ratsA Parducz
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biophysics, Biological Research Center, 6701, Szeged, Hungary
Neuroscience 117:791-4. 2003..of the tracer Fluorogold we retrogradely labeled a subpopulation of arcuate neurons that project to the median eminence. We than applied the disector method for synapse quantification and found that these "hypophysiotropic ..
- Leptin directly acts within the hypothalamus to stimulate gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion in vivo in ratsHajime Watanobe
Division of Internal Medicine, Clinical Research Center, International University of Health and Welfare, Otawara, Tochigi, Japan
J Physiol 545:255-68. 2002..was infused into the medial preoptic area (where the majority of GnRH neuronal cell bodies exist) or the median eminence-arcuate nucleus complex (where axon terminals of GnRH neurons are located)...
- Microarray analysis reveals interleukin-6 as a novel secretory product of the hypothalamo-neurohypophyseal systemMohamed T Ghorbel
University Research Centre for Neuroendocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Marlborough Street, Bristol BS2 8HW, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:19280-5. 2003..stimulus resulted in an increase in IL-6 immunoreactivity in the axons of the internal zone of the median eminence and a marked reduction in IL-6-like material in the posterior pituitary gland...
- Distribution of fluorescence following injection of recombinant adeno-associated virus encoding green fluorescent protein into the paraventricular nucleusHelen Ward
Endocrine Unit, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Neuroendocrinology 77:100-4. 2003..a spread of enhanced green fluorescent protein from the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus into the median eminence and neurohypophysis...
- Binding site of salsolinol: its properties in different regions of the brain and the pituitary gland of the ratKrisztián Gy Homicskó
Neuroendocrine Research Laboratory, Department of Human Morphology and Developmental Biology, Semmelweis University, IX Tuzoltó u 58, Budapest H 1094, Hungary
Neurochem Int 42:19-26. 2003..Specific and saturable binding has been detected in the striatum, cortex, median eminence and in the hypothalamus as well as in the AL and the neuro-intermediate lobe (NIL) of the pituitary gland...
- Morphofunctional characteristics of the gastrin-releasing peptide-synthesizing system of the hypothalamus in normal conditions and in experimental diabetes in ratsA V Abramov
Department of Pathophysiology, Zaporozh e Medical University
Neurosci Behav Physiol 32:567-72. 2002
- Developmental changes in gonadotropin-inhibitory hormone in the Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) hypothalamo-hypophysial systemT Ubuka
Laboratory of Brain Science, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, Hiroshima University, Higashi hiroshima 739 8521, Japan
J Endocrinol 178:311-8. 2003..peptide was shown to be located in neurons of the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) and their terminals in the median eminence (ME), and to decrease gonadotropin release from cultured anterior pituitary in adult birds...
- Interleukin-6 and nitric oxide synthase expression in the vasopressin and corticotrophin-releasing factor systems of the rat hypothalamusTomas Gonzalez-Hernandez
Department of Anatomy, Pathology and Histology, Faculty of Medicine, University of La Laguna, 38207 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
J Histochem Cytochem 54:427-41. 2006..injection of colchicine, and the study in parallel of the labeling pattern of axons in the median eminence. Within AVP cells, we distinguished two different populations: large, intensely stained AVP cells ..
- Developmental changes of nitric oxide synthase expression in the rat hypothalamoneurohypophyseal systemQiuju Yuan
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:36-45. 2006..neurons were not discernable in the supraoptic nucleus (SON), the paraventricular nucleus (PVN), and the median eminence (ME) at PN1 and PN7. A few neurons positive for nNOS were first detected at PN14...
- Distribution of somatostatin immunoreactive neurons and fibres in the central nervous system of a chondrostean, the Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baeri)Fátima Adrio
Department of Cell Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Biology, University of Santiago de Compostela, E 15782, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Brain Res 1209:92-104. 2008..preoptic area and hypothalamus and abundant SOM-ir fibres coursed along the hypothalamic floor towards the median eminence, suggesting a hypophysiotrophic role for SOM in sturgeon...
- Thyroid hormones selectively regulate the posttranslational processing of prothyrotropin-releasing hormone in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamusMario Perello
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine Brown University Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Endocrinology 147:2705-16. 2006....
- Colocalisation of dynorphin a and neurokinin B immunoreactivity in the arcuate nucleus and median eminence of the sheepC D Foradori
Department of Cell Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 18:534-41. 2006..nucleus, where they formed close appositions with DYN/NKB-positive neurones, and in the external zone of the median eminence. Taken together with previous findings, these data suggest that a subpopulation of arcuate nucleus neurones ..
- Role of androgens and glucocorticoids in the regulation of diazepam-binding inhibitor mRNA levels in male mouse hypothalamusV Compère
European Institute for Peptide Research IFRMP 23, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neuroendocrinology, INSERM U413, UA CNRS, University of Rouen, Mont Saint Aignan, France
Brain Res 1119:50-7. 2006..Cells expressing DBI mRNA were mostly observed in the arcuate nucleus, the median eminence and the ependyma bordering the third ventricle...
- Glutamatergic innervation of the hypothalamic median eminence and posterior pituitary of the ratE Hrabovszky
Laboratory of Endocrine Neurobiology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P O BOX 67, 1450 Budapest, Hungary
Neuroscience 144:1383-92. 2007..The present studies were aimed to map the neuronal sources of VGLUT2 in the median eminence and the posterior pituitary, the main terminal fields of hypothalamic neurosecretory neurons...
- Dynorphin in pro-opiomelanocortin neurons of the hypothalamic arcuate nucleusN Maolood
Department of Neuroscience, The Retzius Laboratory, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius vag 8, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Neuroscience 154:1121-31. 2008..The results suggest a role for DYN in control of energy balance by mediating the effect of peripheral hormones such as leptin and insulin...
- Pituitary atrial natriuretic peptide of paraventricular nucleus originMariann Fodor
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Ideggyogy Sz 60:94-6. 2007..Meantime, increased levels of immunoreactive ANP were measured in the median eminence, due to the accumulation of the peptide in the transected axons centrally to the transected stalk and in the ..
- Oxytocin action at the lactotroph is required for prolactin surges in cervically stimulated ovariectomized ratsDe nise T McKee
Department of Biological Science, Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
Endocrinology 148:4649-57. 2007....
- Colocalization of kisspeptin and gonadotropin-releasing hormone in the ovine brainS Pompolo
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Endocrinology 147:804-10. 2006..kisspeptin and GnRH was also seen in varicose neuronal fibers within the external, neurosecretory zone of the median eminence. Apart from the kisspeptin/GnRH cells, a population of single-labeling kisspeptin-IR cells was also observed ..
- Hypothalamic projections to locus coeruleus neurons in rat brainBeverly A S Reyes
Department of Neurosurgery, Farber Institute for Neurosciences, Thomas Jefferson University, 900 Walnut Street, Suite 400, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Eur J Neurosci 22:93-106. 2005..Finally, dual retrograde tracing from the LC and median eminence revealed that PVN neurons that project to the LC are a population distinct from that projecting to the median ..
- Lack of involvement of dopamine and serotonin during the orphanin FQ/Nociceptin (OFQ/N)-induced prolactin secretory responseAmy Kraska
Department of Zoology, Center for Neuroscience, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Life Sci 77:1465-79. 2005..We investigated the involvement of the dopaminergic neurons by quantifying DOPAC:DA levels in the median eminence and neurointermediate lobe following central administration of OFQ/N to female Sprague-Dawley rats...
- Induction and temporal changes of osteopontin mRNA and protein in the brain following systemic lipopolysaccharide injectionJeong Sun Choi
College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, 137 701 Seoul, South Korea
J Neuroimmunol 141:65-73. 2003..These results provide the first evidence of OPN induction in astrocytes and microglia following peripheral immune challenge, and suggest that OPN may play a key role in the pathogenesis of neuroinflammation...
- Ontogeny of the expression of catecholamine synthesising enzymes in the female porcine median eminence arcuate nucleus complex (MEARC)Waldemar Sienkiewicz
Department of Animal Anatomy, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Warmia and Mazury, Olsztyn, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 62:239-42. 2003The ontogeny of the catecholaminergic system of the median eminence (ME) arcuate nucleus (ARC) complex (MEARC) has been studied in various animal species but so far, nothing has been learnt about the development of catecholaminergic ..
- Delineation of responsive AVP-containing neurons to running stress in the hypothalamusTsuyoshi Saito
Laboratory of Exercise Biochemistry, Institute of Health and Sport Sciences, Tsukuba 305 8574, Ibaraki, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 286:R484-90. 2004..prepared for immunocytochemistry for both AVP/Fos in the hypothalamus and enzyme immunoassay for the stalk median eminence (SME) AVP content...
- Decreased hypothalamic and adrenal angiotensin II receptor expression and adrenomedullary catecholamines in transgenic mice with impaired glucocorticoid receptor functionPaul Jain
Division of Intramural Research Programs, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroendocrinology 80:171-80. 2004..significantly less numbers of Ang II AT(1) receptors in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus and median eminence, lower numbers of AT(2) receptors in supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei and lower numbers of AT(2) ..
- The peripheral noradrenergic terminal as possible site of action of salsolinol as prolactoliberinD Székács
Neuroendocrine Research Unit, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Department of Human Morphology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Neurochem Int 50:427-34. 2007..p.). Salsolinol did not affect the in vitro release of dopamine (DA) in the median eminence, and did not inhibit the L-DOPA induced increase of DA level in the median eminence...
- Toxic effects of cadmium on the regulatory mechanism of dopamine and serotonin on prolactin secretion in adult male ratsA Lafuente
Laboratorio de Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Vigo, Campus de Orense, Las Lagunas, 32004 Orense, Spain
Toxicol Lett 155:87-96. 2005..throughout a 24 h cycle to measure circulating prolactin levels and dopamine and serotonin content in the median eminence and in both anterior and posterior pituitary...
- Pharmacological characteristics of KP-102 (GHRP-2), a potent growth hormone-releasing peptideNaomi Doi
Department of Pharmacology, Central Research Laboratories, Kaken Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 54:857-67. 2004..The GH-releasing activity of KP-102 was completely absent in hypophysectomized rats, but present in median eminence-lesioned rats in which secreted GH amounts were significantly less than those normal rats, indicating ..
- Salsolinol induces a decrease in cyclic AMP at the median eminence and an increase at the adenohypophysis in lactating ratsBalazs Radnai
Neuroendocrine Research Laboratory, Department of Human Morphology and Developmental Biology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Semmelweis University, Tuzolto u 58, Budapest, Hungary
Brain Res Bull 65:105-10. 2005Investigating the cellular events in the pituitary gland, the intracellular cyclic AMP (cAMP) of the median eminence (ME), neuro-intermediate lobe (NIL) and the anterior lobe (AL) have been measured following 15-min of intravenous ..
- Distribution of corticotropin-releasing factor binding protein-immunoreactivity in the rat hypothalamus: association with corticotropin-releasing factor-, urocortin 1- and vimentin-immunoreactive fibresB A Henry
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, Bristol, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 17:135-44. 2005..extending from the third ventricle were found in the mediobasal hypothalamus and within the arcuate nucleus-median eminence region...
- Coexistence of salusin and vasopressin in the rat hypothalamo-hypophyseal systemFumiko Takenoya
Department of Anatomy, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
Neurosci Lett 385:110-3. 2005..Many salusin-positive nerve fibers and their terminals were identified in the internal layer of the median eminence and posterior pituitary...
- Toxic effects of methoxychlor administered subcutaneously on the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis in adult ratsA Lafuente
Laboratorio de Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Vigo, Campus de Orense, Las Lagunas, Ourense, Spain
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1570-5. 2008..concentration an in serotoninergic metabolism in anterior, mediobasal and posterior hypothalamus and median eminence; (2) to evaluate effects induced by MTX exposure on gonadotropins and testosterone; 93 to elucidate whether ..
- Antibodies obtained by xenotransplantation of organ-cultured median eminence specifically recognize hypothalamic tanycytesJuan Luís Blázquez
Departamento de Anatomia e Histologia Humanas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Cell Tissue Res 308:241-53. 2002..After 30 days of organ culture, explants of bovine median eminence formed spherical structures mostly constituted by tanycytes...
- Distribution of androgen-binding protein in the rat hypothalamo-neurohypophyseal system, co-localization with oxytocinZsofia Herbert
Institut für Anatomie II, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Teichgraben 7, 07740, Jena, Germany
Brain Res 992:151-8. 2003..networks with varicosities, containing ABP immunofluorescence, were visible throughout the hypothalamus, the median eminence and in the posterior pituitary lobe...
- Involvement of central GABAergic neurons in basal and diurnal changes of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuronal activity and prolactin secretionT Y Lee
Department of Physiology, School of Life Science, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Life Sci 68:1965-75. 2001..activity were determined by measuring the concentration of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (DOPAC) in the median eminence (ME). Serum PRL level was determined by RIA...
- Double immunocytochemistry of vasoactive intestinal peptide and cGnRH-I in male quail: photoperiodic effectsR Teruyama
Department of Animal Science, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583-0908, USA
Cell Tissue Res 303:403-14. 2001..Both VIP- and cGnRH-I-ir fibers heavily innervated the external layer of the median eminence (ME)...
- Central bombesin activates the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Effects on regional levels and release of corticotropin-releasing hormone and arginine-vasopressinP Kent
School of Psychology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5, Canada
Neuroendocrinology 73:203-14. 2001..ir-vasopressin (AVP) at the VMH, it elevated levels of this peptide in the hypothalamic paraventricular and median eminence/arcuate (Me/Arc) regions...
- TTF-1, a homeodomain gene required for diencephalic morphogenesis, is postnatally expressed in the neuroendocrine brain in a developmentally regulated and cell-specific fashionB J Lee
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center Oregon Health Sciences University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 17:107-26. 2001..TTF-1 mRNA was also detected in astrocytes of the median eminence and ependymal/subependymal cells of the third ventricle, where it colocalized with erbB-2, a receptor ..
- Central stimulatory influence of oxytocin on preovulatory gonadotropin-releasing hormone requires more than the median eminenceD Selvage
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula, MT 50812-1552, USA
Neuroendocrinology 74:129-34. 2001..afternoon of proestrus (PE) in the cycling female rat is mediated at the level of GnRH terminals within the median eminence (ME), or at higher hypothalamic levels where GnRH cell bodies and axons are located...
- Alterations in hypothalamic insulin-like growth factor-I and its associations with gonadotropin releasing hormone neurones during reproductive development and ageingB H Miller
Fishberg Research Center for Neurobiology, Kastor Neurobiology of Aging Laboratories, and Schwartz Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 13:728-36. 2001..IGF-I immunoreactivity was also high in the median eminence, the site of GnRH release, and GnRH neuroterminals were seen to interweave among IGF-I-immunopositive cells...
- Prostaglandins may participate in opioidergic and cholinergic control of the diurnal changes of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuronal activity and serum prolactin level in ovariectomized, estrogen-treated ratsY C Chu
Department of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Brain Res Bull 56:61-5. 2001..These data suggest that PG may be involved in opioidergic and cholinergic control of the diurnal changes of TIDA neuronal activity and the PRL secretion in ovariectomized (OVX) + E(2) rats...
- Neuronal organization of the melanin-concentrating hormone system in primitive actinopterygians: evolutionary changes leading to teleostsBridget I Baker
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 442:99-114. 2002..polypteriformes, chondrosteans, holosteans, and teleosts, immunoreactive fibers were abundant in the median eminence or, in the case of teleosts, within the pars distalis itself, suggesting MCH acquired a hypophysial ..
- Effects of orphanin FQ on central dopaminergic neuronal activities and prolactin secretionK Shieh
Department of Physiology, School of Life Science, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R705-12. 2001..Intracerebroventricular administration of OFQ lowered DOPAC levels in the median eminence (ME), striatum, nucleus accumbens, and hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus in a dose (0...
- Selective activation of the hypothalamic vasopressinergic system in mice deficient for the corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor 1 is dependent on glucocorticoidsM B Müller
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
Endocrinology 141:4262-9. 2000..nucleus of Crhr1-/- mutants together with a marked increase in AVP-like immunoreactivity in the median eminence. Administration of an AVP V1-receptor antagonist significantly decreased basal plasma ACTH levels in mutant ..
- Effect of precipitated morphine withdrawal on post-translational processing of prothyrotropin releasing hormone (proTRH) in the ventrolateral column of the midbrain periaqueductal grayEduardo A Nillni
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Brown Medical School, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Neurochem 80:874-84. 2002..changes were compared to other TRH-containing areas such as the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus (PVN), median eminence (ME) and the lateral hypothalamus (LH)...
- Dissociation of prolactin secretion from tuberoinfundibular dopamine activity in late pregnant ratsZ B Andrews
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology and Neuroscience Research Center, University of Otago School of Medical Sciences, Dunedin, New Zealand
Endocrinology 142:2719-24. 2001..TIDA neuronal activity were estimated using concentrations of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (DOPAC) in the median eminence as an index of dopamine metabolism...
- Fasting-induced increase in type II iodothyronine deiodinase activity and messenger ribonucleic acid levels is not reversed by thyroxine in the rat hypothalamusS Diano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Endocrinology 139:2879-84. 1998..layer and adjacent periventricular regions as well as in the arcuate nucleus and the external layer of the median eminence. Quantitative in situ hybridization analysis demonstrated that PTU treatment and short term fasting resulted ..
- The nitric oxide hypothesis of agingS M McCann
Pennington Biomedical Research Center LSU, Baton Rouge 70808 4124, USA
Exp Gerontol 33:813-26. 1998..hormone neurons, and the arcuate nucleus, a region containing these neurons and axons bound for the median eminence. We are currently determining if LPS similarly activates cytokine and iNOS production in the cardiovascular ..
- The control of reproductive physiology and behavior by gonadotropin-inhibitory hormoneTakayoshi Ubuka
Department of Integrative Biology and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3140, USA
Integr Comp Biol 48:560-9. 2008..GnIH neurons project to the median eminence, thus providing a functional neuroanatomical infrastructure to regulate anterior pituitary function...
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013..Brain mast cells are abundant in the median eminence where they are juxtaposed to corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)-positive neurons and CRH is secreted under ..
- NEUROSECRETORY GENE EXPRESSION IN THE HYPOTHALAMUSPamela L Mellon; Fiscal Year: 2013..cribriform plate, through the olfactory bulb and into the hypothalamus, finally extending their axons to the median eminence. This discrete population of ~800 neurons, scattered through the hypothalamus, controls puberty, menstrual ..
- Optical Study of Secretion in Mammalian Nerve TerminalsBRIAN MATTHEW SALZBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..and paraventricular nuclei in the hypothalamus project their axons as bundles of fibers through the median eminence and infundibular stalk to arborize extensively and terminate in the neurohypophysis, a quasi-pure collection ..
- Tanycytes and Nonthyroidal IllnessRONALD MICHAEL LECHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..and ventrolateral walls of the third ventricle between the rostral and caudal limits of the hypothalamic median eminence. Little is known about these cells but their expression of type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase (D2), an enzyme ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF SEASONALITYRobert L Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2013..for A15 inhibition of GnRH secretion in anestrus: 1) A15 neurons project directly to GnRH terminals in the median eminence, or 2) A15 neurons stimulate gonadotropin-inhibitory hormone (GnIH) neurons or inhibit a set of kisspeptin-..
- Role of Notch signaling in the Development and Guidance of Hypothalamic NeuronsPAVEN AUJLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hypothalamic neurons that project to the anterior lobe through the median eminence (ME), such as somatostatin (SS), are affected by both hypopituitarism and multiple anterior pituitary hormone ..
- NEUROTENSIN SYNTHESIS IN ARCUATE NEUROSECRETORY CELLSMark Alexander; Fiscal Year: 1999..levels of NT and neuromedin N will be measured to determine whether estrogen alters their ratio in the median eminence or neurointermediate lobe...
- BRAIN GENES GOVERNING REPRODUCTIONRobert Steiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..GALP is only expressed in the arcuate nucleus and median eminence of the hypothalamus, which are nodal points for integration of metabolism and reproduction...
- Hypothalamic Type 2 Deiodinase in Metabolism RegulationSabrina Diano; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the adult rat brain, high DII activity is present in the arcuate nucleus/median eminence region with minimal activity in the paraventricular nucleus where the central thyroid-regulating neurons, the ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC NEUROTRANSMITTER SYSTEMS & EATING BEHAVIORSARAH LEIBOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..it is hypothesized that: a) GAL, in specific neurons of the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) that project to the median eminence (ME), contributes to increased body weight gain and adiposity in response to a high-fat diet; and b) NPY, in ..
- Neuroendocrinology of Galanin-Like PeptideRobert Steiner; Fiscal Year: 2006..of GALP mRNA in the brain is limited to a cluster of neurons in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus and the median eminence. We have recently discovered that GALP neurons are direct targets for the adipocyte-derived hormone leptin...
- TRH REGULATION/BIOSYNTHESIS AND PARAVENTRICULAR NUCLEUSRONALD LECHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..has a dual inhibitory effect on TRH neurons as a result of inducing morphologic rearrangement of tanycyte endfeet processes in association with TRH-containing axon terminals in the external zone of the median eminence.
- A NEUROENDOCRINOLOGICAL STUDY OF THE HIPPOCAMPUSAlberto Carrillo; Fiscal Year: 1980..DA), serotonin (5-HT) and acetylcholine (ACH) in the medial preoptic area (MPOA), arcuate nucleus (ARC) and median eminence (ME) as well as plasma LH levels on the day of proestrus...
- D2 TANTYCYTES IN THE REGULATION OF HPT AXISRONALD LECHAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..D2 mRNA will be used to infect tanycytes after stereotaxic injection of the virus into the third ventricle or median eminence. The second model will involve the development of transgenic mice, using the DARPP-32 gene as a tool to ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE BASIS OF SEASONAL BREEDINGMichael Lehman; Fiscal Year: 1991..interpretation of seasonal plasticity in the LHRH system is a knowledge of which LHRH cells project to the median eminence, and thereby constitute the pulse generator...
- HYPOTHALAMIC CONTROL OF PROLACTIN SECRETIONJAMES VOOGT; Fiscal Year: 2001..pathways play in PRL regulation, these are likely candidates thaat relay expression of the clock to the median eminence and pituitary to drive PRL surges...
- AGING LHRH SYSTEM/EM IMMUNOCYTOCHEMICAL STUDIESJOAN WITKIN; Fiscal Year: 1992..in the preoptic area (POA) and their axons and terminal fields in the medial basal hypothalamus (MBH) and median eminence (ME) in the male rat, using adult (2-4 mos), middle aged (10-12 mos) and old (22-24 mos) animals...
- GNRH DEFICIENCY --CORRECTION BY PREOPTIC AREA GRAFTSMARIE GIBSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..This phenomonon depends upon the capacity of these implanted neurons to send axons to the median eminence and on their integration into appropriate host neural circuits...
- ALCOHOL & BRAIN DEVELOPMENT: MIDLINE CASCADE HYPOTHESISFeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2003..quantitative morphometric analysis of associated midline structures such as the septum, subcommissural organ, median eminence, ventricles, and midline brainstem...
- BIOGENIC AMINE LEVELS IN VIVO AND PITUITARY FUNCTIONJAMES VOOGT; Fiscal Year: 1980..The primary brain areas to be studied include the arcuate-median eminence area, The preoptic area and the caudate nucleus...
- Otx2 in the development & regulation of the GnRH neuronAndrew Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2002..in the murine brain consists of scattered neurons from the olfactory bulbs to the rostral aspect of the median eminence with the highest concentration of GnRH neurons located at the level of the OVLT and the POA...
- Endocrine Role of OFQ/N: Studies with Knock-out MicePhyllis Callahan; Fiscal Year: 2002..neural mechanism of action will be determined by quantifying specific amines, particularly dopamine, in the median eminence and other select regions of the brain...
- NEUROENDOCRINE EFFECTS OF PERINATAL OPIATE EXPOSUREJAMES VOOGT; Fiscal Year: 1992..in the nerve terminals will be measured by in vitro accumulation of L-dihydroxyphenylalanine in the stalk-median eminence and 5-hydroxytryptophan in the medial basal hypothalamus after incubation with a decarboxylase inhibitor...
- HYPOPHYSIOTROPIC NEURON DIFFERENTIATION--TARGET FEEDBACKDavid Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2006..1) the extent to which hypophysiotropic axons terminate aberrantly outside of or within the hypothalamic median eminence (ME) and whether this pattern is regressive, using anterograde and retrograde tract tracing, ..
- ROLE OF HORMONES IN THE PROCESSING OF NEURONAL PEPTIDESAyalla Barnea; Fiscal Year: 1992..S.A.1 is to elucidate the mechanism(s) by which Cu modulates LHRH release; using explants of the median eminence as a model...
- NEUROENDOCRINE REGULATION OF EPISODIC LH RELEASERobert Gallo; Fiscal Year: 1990..effect of P is exerted at least in part via the EOPs, and whether the medial preoptic area or arcuate-median eminence regions are neural loci involved in P-dependent, EOP suppression of LH pulse frequency, as well as ..
- Regulation of GnRH Neuronal Development by FGF SignalingJohn Gill; Fiscal Year: 2005..From the nose, GnRH neurons migrate into the brain and target their axons to the median eminence of the hypothalamus for GnRH release...
- FORMS OF GONADOTROPIN-RELEASING HORMONEHENRYK URBANSKI; Fiscal Year: 2000..Dil and Fluoro-Gold tracing to determine which of the novel GnRH neuronal sub-populations send axons to the median eminence and, by inference, contribute to the neuroendocrine control of the reproductive axis; (2) Use in situ ..
- ULTRASTRUCTURAL STUDIES OF DEVELOPING INFUNDIBULUMBarbara Monroe; Fiscal Year: 1980..METHODS: Tissues of the developing infundibulum (median eminence and infundibular stem) will be studied in a twofold approach: 1) Human fetuses will be used for electron ..
- GONADOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE DYNAMICS AND BEHAVIORDavid Albertini; Fiscal Year: 1980..area which may influence behavior as well as the release of gonadotropic hromones in the arcuate-median eminence region...
- Mechanisms of Neuronal Regulation by Leptin and InsulinMichael Cowley; Fiscal Year: 2007..These signals reach the neurons because of a leaky blood brain barrier at the median eminence. In obesity, it appears that leptin no longer regulates the melanocortin system...
- BLOOD FLOW AND ENERGY METABOLISM IN THE NEUROHYPOPHYSISROBERT BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..example, factors which regulate the synthesis and release of adenohypophyseal hormones are secretes by the median eminence and transported to the adenohypophysis by blood...
- IMMUNOTECHNIQUES FOR GNRH AND RELATED NEUROPEPTIDESGERALD KOZLOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 1980..implicated to be modulating substances for release of GnRH will be visualized in the hypothalamus and median eminence of rats and mice...
- AGING OF THE NEUROENDOCRINE HYPOTHALAMUSEi Terasawa; Fiscal Year: 2000..In the first Aim, we will determine the release pattern of GH, GHRH, and SS in the stalk-median eminence (S-ME) of the aged and young female monkeys using a push-pull perfusion method, and will test the hypothesis ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC-HIPPOCAMPAL ELECTROPHYSIOLOGYBarry Layton; Fiscal Year: 1980..e. neurons with median eminence axon terminals that function to regulate anterior pituitary secretion...
- HYPOTHALAMIC NEURONS BY BEHAVIORAL STRESSAnn Judith Silverman; Fiscal Year: 1991..To determine if the stress-induced changes occur in neurosecretory cells afferent to the median eminence (ME), retrograde tracing from the ME will be combined with ICC...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF THE PROLACTIN RELEASING PEPTIDESWillis K Samson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, these studies will provide further insight into the coordinated hormonal and autonomic responses to stress. ..
- Orexinergic Pathways in Central Autonomic ControlWILLIS SAMSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- A NOVEL NEURAL PATHWAY CONTROLS TESTOSTERONE RELEASECatherine Rivier; Fiscal Year: 2008..Collectively, these studies will advance our understanding of the effects of alcohol on male reproductive functions and the mechanisms that mediate them. ..
- NO AND CO MEDIATE MENTAL-NEUROENDOCRINE INTERACTIONSCatherine Rivier; Fiscal Year: 2004..Collectively, these results will provide novel and comprehensive information regarding the neurocircuitries through which NO or CO modulate the response of the rat HPA to a neurogenic stress. ..
- Fifth International Melanocortin MeetingROGER CONE; Fiscal Year: 2002..To facilitate the gathering of a large international audience, funds are specifically requested to cover travel expenses for 17 speakers. ..
- Prolactin Feedback to Hypothalamic Dopaminergic NeuronsLYDIA ARBOGAST; Fiscal Year: 2009..Critical new information on prolactin's actions within the central nervous system should result from the proposed experiments. ..
- Restricted Sleep: Modification of adiposity and adipose tissue compositionCAROL EVERSON; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HYPOTHALAMIC NEUROTRANSMITTER SYSTEMS & EATING BEHAVIORSarah F Leibowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..In summary, this grant tests the novel hypothesis that a high-fat diet itself can promote overeating and ultimately dietary obesity through a positive feedback loop involving circulating lipids, hypothalamic peptides and accumbens DA. ..
- Effects of Chronic Estrogen on TIDA Neurons: Role of Cytokines and NOPuliyur S MohanKumar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Prolonged exposure to estrogen and elevated levels of PRL may promote the risk for breast cancer. ..
- COCAINE AND BRAIN DEVELOPMENTPradeep G Bhide; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies promise novel insights into the mechanism of cocaine's action on fetal brain development by examining the link between cocaine, dopamine and development of GABA circuits. ..
- Understanding Neurodevelopment in Macaques with Different Rearing ExperiencesMar Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Opioid-Dopamine Interactions During LactationLYDIA ARBOGAST; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall these studies will contribute to our understanding of the complex neuronal pathways involved in maintaining lactation. ..
- Differential regulation of kisspeptin, dynorphin, and NKB in the same neuronsRobert Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, these studies may provide information important for the development of better treatments of these pathological disruptions of reproductive function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEUROENDOCRINE ABNORMALITIES INDUCED BY SLEEP DEPRIVATIOCAROL EVERSON; Fiscal Year: 2001..studies will determine whether TRH mRNA expression in the paraventricular nucleus and TRH content in the median eminence are suppressed and unresponsive to low T4, indicating impaired thyroid hormone regulation at the level of the ..
- BRAIN MONOAMINES AND LUTEINIZING HORMONE SECRETIONWilliam Crowley; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- OXYTOCIN, VASOPRESSIN AND DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIAL BEHAVIORMar Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- WORKSHOP/USE OF NONHUMAN PRIMATES/NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCHSergio Ojeda; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- BRAIN CELL DEATH IN MRL MICE: TARGETS AND MECHANISMSBoris Sakic; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ProTRH sorting to the regulated secretory pathwayEDUARDO NILLNI; Fiscal Year: 2006..The sorting of the proTRH N- and C-terminal fragments is routed to two different pathways. Aim 4. The tertiary structure of proTRH contributes to its processing by PC1 and PC2 and further sorting to the RSP. ..
- TRH and Energy HomeostasisRONALD LECHAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A role for dopamine in brain developmentPradeep Bhide; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is also an excellent model to mimic dopamine imbalance in the CNS that can be produced by therapeutic drugs that intentionally or unintentionally target the dopaminergic system of the developing brain. ..
- Role of CREB function in the BNST in fear and anxiety-like behaviorsEdward Meloni; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such studies may ultimately lead to the development of novel and effective treatments for human anxiety disorders [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN COMPARATIVE MEDICINE AND PATHOLOGYPULIYUR MOHANKUMAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REPRODUCTIVE AGING AND THE HUMAN HYPOTHALAMUSNaomi Rance; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our studies provide an exceptional opportunity to address basic biological issues directly relevant to the physiology of postmenopausal women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LEPTIN ACTION ON HYPOTHALAMIC PEPTIDES GOVERNING FEEDINGAbhiram Sahu; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will further our understanding of leptin signaling in the hypothalamus in relation to feeding, and therefore will be relevant to the development of therapeutic approaches to eating disorders. ..