Genomes and Genes
Summary: A highly vascularized endocrine gland consisting of two lobes joined by a thin band of tissue with one lobe on each side of the TRACHEA. It secretes THYROID HORMONES from the follicular cells and CALCITONIN from the parafollicular cells thereby regulating METABOLISM and CALCIUM level in blood, respectively.
Publications406 found, 100 shown here
- Thyroid developmental anomalies in first degree relatives of children with congenital hypothyroidismJuliane Leger
Pediatric Endocrinology Unit and INSERM U457, Hopital Robert Debre, 75019 Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:575-80. 2002..In conclusion, these observations support the hypothesis of a common genetic component of the disorder with heterogeneous phenotypes...
- Clinical practice. The thyroid noduleLaszlo Hegedus
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
N Engl J Med 351:1764-71. 2004
- The Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid CytopathologyEdmund S Cibas
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Thyroid 19:1159-65. 2009..The conclusions regarding terminology and morphologic criteria from the NCI meeting led to the Bethesda Thyroid Atlas Project and form the framework for the Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid Cytopathology...
- The clinical significance of subclinical thyroid dysfunctionBernadette Biondi
Department of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology, University of Naples Federico II, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Endocr Rev 29:76-131. 2008..Lastly, we address the issue of the need to treat slight thyroid hormone deficiency or excess in relation to the patient's age...
- Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancerDavid S Cooper
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Thyroid 19:1167-214. 2009..Since the publication of the American Thyroid Association's guidelines for the management of these disorders was published in 2006, a large amount of new information has become available, prompting a revision of the guidelines...
- Thyroid development and its disorders: genetics and molecular mechanismsMario De Felice
Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, University of Naples Federico II, 80121 Naples, Italy
Endocr Rev 25:722-46. 2004b>Thyroid gland organogenesis results in an organ the shape, size, and position of which are largely conserved among adult individuals of the same species, thus suggesting that genetic factors must be involved in controlling these ..
- Thyroid effects of endocrine disrupting chemicalsMalene Boas
Department of Growth and Reproduction GR, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Cell Endocrinol 355:240-8. 2012....
- Cloning and characterization of the thyroid iodide transporterG Dai
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Nature 379:458-60. 1996..To our knowledge, this is the first iodide-transporting molecule to have its cDNA cloned, providing a missing link in the thyroid hormone biosynthetic pathway...
- Purification of a novel flavoprotein involved in the thyroid NADPH oxidase. Cloning of the porcine and human cdnasC Dupuy
INSERM Unité 486, Institut de signalisation et innovation thérapeutique, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5 Rue Jean Baptiste Clement, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 274:37265-9. 1999..The gene of human p138(Tox) has been localized on chromosome 15q15...
- Sodium iodide symporter: its role in nuclear medicineJune Key Chung
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Cancer Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Nucl Med 43:1188-200. 2002..The NIS has the potential to expand the role of nuclear medicine in the future, just as it has served as the base for the development of nuclear medicine in the past...
- Endocrine disruptors and thyroid hormone physiologyMary Line Jugan
Univ Paris Sud 11, Faculte de Pharmacie, Laboratoire Santé Publique Environnement, 92290 Chatenay Malabry, France
Biochem Pharmacol 79:939-47. 2010..The review then focuses on disrupting mechanisms known to be directly or indirectly related to the transcriptional activity of the thyroid hormone receptors...
- Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancerDavid S Cooper
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD, USA
Thyroid 16:109-42. 2006
- The RET/PTC-RAS-BRAF linear signaling cascade mediates the motile and mitogenic phenotype of thyroid cancer cellsRosa Marina Melillo
Istituto di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del CNR G Salvatore, Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Clin Invest 115:1068-81. 2005..Thus, motile and mitogenic properties are intrinsic to transformed thyroid cells and are governed by an epistatic oncogenic signaling cascade...
- Effect of iodine intake on thyroid diseases in ChinaWeiping Teng
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shengyang, China
N Engl J Med 354:2783-93. 2006..Participants enrolled in a baseline study in 1999, and during the five-year follow-up through 2004, we examined the effect of regional differences in iodine intake on the incidence of thyroid disease...
- Morphogenesis of the thyroid glandHenrik Fagman
Istituto di Ricerche Genetiche Gaetano Salvatore IRGS, Biogem scarl, Via Camporeale, 830 31 Ariano Irpino, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 323:35-54. 2010Congenital hypothyroidism is mainly due to structural defects of the thyroid gland, collectively known as thyroid dysgenesis...
- Progression of BRAF-induced thyroid cancer is associated with epithelial-mesenchymal transition requiring concomitant MAP kinase and TGFβ signalingJ A Knauf
Department of Medicine and Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA
Oncogene 30:3153-62. 2011..Hence, tumor initiation by oncogenic BRAF renders thyroid cells susceptible to TGFβ-induced EMT, through a MAPK-dependent process...
- Circulating leptin and thyroid dysfunctionTina Zimmermann-Belsing
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Endocrinol 149:257-71. 2003..In this review, we have focused on leptin in relation to thyroid pathophysiology...
- Thyroid and leptinUlla Feldt-Rasmussen
Department of Medical Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, National University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Thyroid 17:413-9. 2007..Despite intensive research in this field, results are still not very clear. The aim of this review has been to update the current state of knowledge of leptin related to thyroid pathophysiology...
- Endemic goitre and excessive iodine in urine and drinking water among Saharawi refugee childrenSigrun Henjum
Akershus University College, Lillestrøm, Norway
Public Health Nutr 13:1472-7. 2010..To assess the prevalence of enlarged thyroid volume (Tvol) in Saharawi refugee children, and their urinary iodine concentration (UIC), and to identify possible sources of excess iodine intake...
- Benign hereditary chorea: an updateRivka Inzelberg
Joseph Sagol Neuroscience Center, Department of Neurology, Sheba Medical Center, 52621 Tel Hashomer, Israel
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:301-7. 2011..This review highlights the current updates on expanded clinical aspects of BHC, imaging and treatment experience, its genetic markers, proposed molecular mechanisms, animal models and link to cancer...
- Identification of novel Pax8 targets in FRTL-5 thyroid cells by gene silencing and expression microarray analysisTina Di Palma
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology and Oncology G Salvatore IEOS, National Research Council, Naples, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e25162. 2011The differentiation program of thyroid follicular cells (TFCs), by far the most abundant cell population of the thyroid gland, relies on the interplay between sequence-specific transcription factors and transcriptional coregulators with ..
- Thyroid ultrasoundL Hegedus
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 30:339-60, viii-ix. 2001Evaluation of the thyroid gland can be performed by several imaging techniques...
- Characterization of ThOX proteins as components of the thyroid H(2)O(2)-generating systemXavier De Deken
Institut de Recherche Interdisciplinaire, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Campus Erasme, 808, Route de Lennik, Brussels, Belgium
Exp Cell Res 273:187-96. 2002..Additional thyroid-specific components are probably required to get complete protein processing and full enzymatic activity in the thyroid...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), VEGF receptors expression and microvascular density in benign and malignant thyroid diseasesJames England
Department of Otolaryngology, Hull Royal Infirmary, Hull, UK
Int J Exp Pathol 88:271-7. 2007..There was no clear relationship between MVD measurement and thyroid pathology...
- Incidental thyroid uptake on F-18 FDG PET/CT: correlation with ultrasonography and pathologyBong Joo Kang
Department of Radiology, St Vincent s Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Suwon, Kyoungi do, 442 723, South Korea
Ann Nucl Med 23:729-37. 2009....
- Minireview: The neural regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axisRicardo H Costa-e-Sousa
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Division Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, 330 Brookline Avenue, CLS 0738, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Endocrinology 153:4128-35. 2012..This minireview discusses the neural regulation of the HPT axis, focusing on both TH-dependent and -independent pathways and their potential integration...
- C-cell hyperplasia, pheochromocytoma and sympathoadrenal malformation in a mouse model of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2BC L Smith-Hicks
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 701 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
EMBO J 19:612-22. 2000....
- A mathematical model of pituitary--thyroid interaction to provide an insight into the nature of the thyrotropin--thyroid hormone relationshipMelvin Khee Shing Leow
Department of Endocrinology, Division of Medicine, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433, Singapore
J Theor Biol 248:275-87. 2007..Using this model, the profound sensitivity of thyrotrophs to feedback by thyroid hormones can be appreciated and understood better in the context of diseases of thyroid hormone excess and deficiency...
- Diagnostic terminology and morphologic criteria for cytologic diagnosis of thyroid lesions: a synopsis of the National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of the Science ConferenceZubair W Baloch
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 36:425-37. 2008..http://thyroidfna.cancer.gov/pages/info/agenda/)...
- The epidemiology of thyroid diseaseMark P J Vanderpump
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust, Pond Street, London NW3 2QG, UK
Br Med Bull 99:39-51. 2011..Thyroid disorders are prevalent and their manifestations are determined by the dietary iodine availability...
- Genome-wide association study identifies four genetic loci associated with thyroid volume and goiter riskAlexander Teumer
Interfaculty Institute for Genetics and Functional Genomics, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 88:664-73. 2011..All four associations were replicated in an independent sample of 1290 participants of the KORA study. These results increase the knowledge about genetic factors and physiological mechanisms influencing thyroid volume...
- Management of Graves' disease during pregnancy: the key role of fetal thyroid gland monitoringDominique Luton
Department of Perinatology, Multidisciplinary Center for Prenatal Diagnosis, Robert Debre Hospital, 75019 Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6093-8. 2005..Early diagnosis is essential to successful management. We investigated a new approach to the fetal diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction and validated the usefulness of fetal thyroid ultrasonograms...
- Radiotherapy of large target volumes in Hodgkin's lymphoma: normal tissue sparing capability of forward IMRT versus conventional techniquesLaura Cella
Institute of Biostructures and Bioimages, National Council of Research CNR, Via Pansini 5, 80131, Naples, Italy
Radiat Oncol 5:33. 2010..This paper analyses normal tissue sparing capability of radiation treatment techniques in Hodgkin's lymphoma with large treatment volume...
- Morphogenetics of early thyroid developmentHenrik Fagman
Department of Pathology, Institute of Biomedicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Gula straket 8, 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
J Mol Endocrinol 46:R33-42. 2011....
- The role of iodine in human growth and developmentMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Cell Dev Biol 22:645-52. 2011Iodine is an essential component of the hormones produced by the thyroid gland. Thyroid hormones, and therefore iodine, are essential for mammalian life...
- Immunocytochemistry with cytokeratin 19 and anti-human mesothelial cell antibody (HBME1) increases the diagnostic accuracy of thyroid fine-needle aspirations: preliminary report of 150 liquid-based fine-needle aspirations with histological controlBeatrix Cochand-Priollet
Department of Pathology and Cytopathology, Lariboisiere Hospital, Paris, France
Thyroid 21:1067-73. 2011..We aimed to assess the diagnostic accuracy of immunocytochemistry (ICC) of thyroid FNA to improve its sensitivity and specificity...
- Glucagon like peptide-1 receptor expression in the human thyroid glandBelinda Gier
Larry L Hillblom Islet Research Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue 72 228 CHS, Los Angeles, California 90095 6904, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:121-31. 2012..We sought to establish whether C cells in human medullary thyroid carcinoma, C cell hyperplasia, and normal human thyroid express the GLP-1 receptor...
- Diagnostic significance of CK19, TG, Ki67 and galectin-3 expression for papillary thyroid carcinoma in the northeastern region of ChinaQingbin Song
Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University Nanjing North Street, Shenyang 110001, China
Diagn Pathol 6:126. 2011....
- Iodine deficiency in pregnancy: the effect on neurodevelopment in the childSheila A Skeaff
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Nutrients 3:265-73. 2011..Thus, there is a need for well-designed trials to determine the effect of iodine supplementation in moderate to mildly iodine deficient pregnant women on neurodevelopment in the child...
- High prevalence of mutations of the p53 gene in poorly differentiated human thyroid carcinomasJ A Fagin
Division of Endocrinology, UCLA School of Medicine 90048
J Clin Invest 91:179-84. 1993....
- The effect of 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine supplementation on zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryonic development and expression of iodothyronine deiodinases and thyroid hormone receptorsChaminda N Walpita
Laboratory of Comparative Endocrinology, Zoological Institute, K U Leuven, Naamsestraat 61, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:206-14. 2007..Taken together, these data show that during embryonic development zebrafish already have the necessary regulatory machinery for TH activation and signaling, and that T(3) treatment at that stage indeed influence embryonic development...
- Murine models for the study of thyroid gland developmentMario De Felice
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Molecolare e Cellulare, Universita Federico II, Napoli, Italia
Endocr Dev 10:1-14. 2007..This review summarizes the complex processes leading to thyroid development mostly by describing the phenotype of currently available knockout animals...
- Risk of spontaneous miscarriage in euthyroid women with thyroid autoimmunity undergoing IVF: a meta-analysisKonstantinos A Toulis
Unit of Reproductive Endocrinology Unit for Human Reproduction, First Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School, Papageorgiou General Hospital, Aristotle University, Ring Road, Nea Efkarpia, 56403 Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Endocrinol 162:643-52. 2010..To investigate whether thyroid autoimmunity (TAI) is associated with increased risk for spontaneous miscarriage in subfertile, euthyroid women undergoing IVF...
- Growth activation alone is not sufficient to cause metastatic thyroid cancer in a mouse model of follicular thyroid carcinomaChangxue Lu
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, 37 Convent Drive, Room 5128, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4264, USA
Endocrinology 151:1929-39. 2010..These in vivo findings provide new insights in understanding carcinogenesis of the human thyroid...
- Thyroid nuclear factor 1 (TTF-1) contains a homeodomain and displays a novel DNA binding specificityS Guazzi
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Heidelberg, FRG
EMBO J 9:3631-9. 1990....
- The role of thrombophilia and thyroid autoimmunity in unexplained infertility, implantation failure and recurrent spontaneous abortionJose Bellver
Instituto Valenciano de Infertilidad IVI, University of Valencia, Plaza de la Policia Local, 3, 46015 Valencia, Spain
Hum Reprod 23:278-84. 2008..The role of thrombophilia and thyroid autoimmunity in unexplained infertility (UI), implantation failure (IF) and recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) is controversial and poorly understood...
- Post-transcriptional regulation of the sodium/iodide symporter by thyrotropinC Riedel
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 276:21458-63. 2001The Na(+)/I(-) symporter (NIS) is a key plasma membrane glycoprotein that mediates active I(-) transport in the thyroid gland (Dai, G., Levy, O., and Carrasco, N. (1996) Nature 379, 458-460), the first step in thyroid hormone biogenesis...
- Measuring thyroid gland volume: should we change the correction factor?Wael Shabana
Department of Radiology, AZ Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:234-6. 2006..CONCLUSION: Acceptable correction factors are situated in the range of 0.494-0.554. We propose a correction factor of 0.529 when using the ellipsoid formula...
- Familial congenital hypothyroidism due to inactivating mutation of the thyrotropin receptor causing profound hypoplasia of the thyroid glandM J Abramowicz
Service de Genetique, Hopital Erasme, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Invest 99:3018-24. 1997b>Thyroid gland agenesis is the most common cause of congenital hypothyroidism and is usually sporadic...
- Thyroid Na+/I- symporter. Mechanism, stoichiometry, and specificityS Eskandari
Department of Physiology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1751, USA
J Biol Chem 272:27230-8. 1997..5-fold increase in the density of plasma membrane protoplasmic face intramembrane particles. On the basis of the kinetic results, we propose an ordered simultaneous transport mechanism in which the binding of Na+ to NIS occurs first...
- New signaling pathways for hormones and cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate action in endocrine cellsJ S Richards
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030 3498, USA
Mol Endocrinol 15:209-18. 2001..Thus, FSH and TSH activation of PKB and Sgk may occur via this alternative cAMP pathway that involves cAMP-GEFs and the activation of the PI3-K/PDK1 pathway...
- Application of an immunodiagnostic method for improving preoperative diagnosis of nodular thyroid lesionsA Bartolazzi
Department of Oncology Pathology, Cellular and Molecular Tumor Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, CCK R8 04 Karolinska Hospital, 17176, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 357:1644-50. 2001..We undertook an international multicentre study to assess the usefulness of immunohistocytochemical staining for two potential markers of malignant thyrocytes...
- Thyroid autoimmunity and miscarriageMark F Prummel
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, F5 171 Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 150:751-5. 2004..Randomized clinical trials with l-thyroxine (aiming at TSH values between 0.4 and 2.0 mU/l) and with selenium (to decrease antibodies against thyroid peroxidase) are clearly needed to elucidate further the nature of this association...
- Thyroid function is associated with components of the metabolic syndrome in euthyroid subjectsAnnemieke Roos
Department of Endocrinology, University Medical Center Groningen and University of Groningen, P O Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:491-6. 2007..Thyroid disease and the metabolic syndrome are both associated with cardiovascular disease...
- Thyroid hormone preconditioning: protection against ischemia-reperfusion liver injury in the ratVirginia Fernandez
Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Hepatology 45:170-7. 2007....
- Radiation exposure to the surgeon during fluoroscopically assisted percutaneous vertebroplasty: a prospective studyRoger Harstall
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1893-8. 2005..A prospective case control study design was conducted...
- Neonatal thyroxine, maternal thyroid function, and child cognitionEmily Oken
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:497-503. 2009..Thyroid hormone is essential for normal brain development. Limited data are available regarding whether thyroid function in neonates influences later cognitive development...
- Environmental chemicals and thyroid function: an updateMalene Boas
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 16:385-91. 2009..To overview the effects of endocrine disrupters on thyroid function...
- Phenylthiourea disrupts thyroid function in developing zebrafishOsama A Elsalini
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50923 Cologne, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 212:593-8. 2003..003% PTurea abolish T4 immunoreactivity of the thyroid follicles of zebrafish larvae. As development of the thyroid gland is not affected, these data suggest that PTurea blocks thyroid hormone production...
- TTF-2, a new forkhead protein, shows a temporal expression in the developing thyroid which is consistent with a role in controlling the onset of differentiationM Zannini
Stazione Zoologica A Dohrn, Napoli, Italy
EMBO J 16:3185-97. 1997..In the thyroid, TTF-2 expression is down-regulated just before the onset of Tg and TPO gene expression, suggesting that this transcription factor plays the role in development of a negative controller of thyroid-specific gene expression...
- A mouse model for hereditary thyroid dysgenesis and cleft palateM De Felice
Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Napoli, Italy
Nat Genet 19:395-8. 1998Alteration of thyroid gland morphogenesis (thyroid dysgenesis) is a frequent human malformation...
- Telomerase expression and proliferative activity suggest a stem cell role for thyroid solid cell nestsAna Preto
Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Mod Pathol 17:819-26. 2004Solid cell nests of the human thyroid gland are composed of main cells and C cells...
- Immunohistochemical detection of p53 homolog p63 in solid cell nests, papillary thyroid carcinoma, and hashimoto's thyroiditis: A stem cell hypothesis of papillary carcinoma oncogenesisDavid E Burstein
Ruttenberg Cancer Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Hum Pathol 35:465-73. 2004....
- Current perspective on the pathogenesis of Graves' disease and ophthalmopathyBellur S Prabhakar
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612 7344, USA
Endocr Rev 24:802-35. 2003..Collectively, recent studies have led to a better understanding of the pathogenesis of GD and GO and have opened up potential new avenues for developing novel treatments for GD and GO...
- Influence of iodine-131 dose on the outcome of hyperthyroidism in childrenScott A Rivkees
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8081, USA
Pediatrics 111:745-9. 2003..The objective of this study was to examine the relationship between the dose of iodine-131 in children with hyperthyroidism and thyroid status 1 year after treatment...
- Galectin-3, fibronectin-1, CITED-1, HBME1 and cytokeratin-19 immunohistochemistry is useful for the differential diagnosis of thyroid tumorsManju L Prasad
Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mod Pathol 18:48-57. 2005..An immunohistochemical panel consisting of GAL3, FN1 and HBME1 may be useful in the diagnosis of follicular cell-derived thyroid tumors...
- Avian thyroid development and adaptive plasticityF M Anne McNabb
Department of Biological Sciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, 24061 0406, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 147:93-101. 2006..Our knowledge is greatest for precocial galliform birds although the organismal picture of thyroid development has been investigated in several altricial avian species...
- Residual goitre in the postiodization phase: iodine status, thiocyanate exposure and autoimmunityR K Marwaha
Department of Endocrinology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59:672-81. 2003..This study was done to assess goitre prevalence, thyroid functional status and cause of residual goitre among school children in the postsalt iodization phase in India...
- Peripheral metabolism of thyroid hormone and glucose homeostasisA Chidakel
Clinical Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Thyroid 15:899-903. 2005....
- Interactions among thyroid function, insulin sensitivity, and serum lipid concentrations: the Fremantle diabetes studyS A P Chubb
Department of Biochemistry, Fremantle Hospital, P O Box 480, Fremantle, Western Australia 6959, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5317-20. 2005..Recent observations in healthy subjects showed that insulin resistance modifies the relationship between serum cholesterol and thyroid function...
- A mouse model demonstrates a multigenic origin of congenital hypothyroidismElena Amendola
Stazione Zoologica A Dohrn, Laboratorio di Genetica Animale at CEINGE, Naples, Italy
Endocrinology 146:5038-47. 2005..The disease is characterized by a small thyroid gland, elevated levels of TSH, reduced thyroglobulin biosynthesis, and high occurrence of hemiagenesis...
- Pax-8, a paired domain-containing protein, binds to a sequence overlapping the recognition site of a homeodomain and activates transcription from two thyroid-specific promotersM Zannini
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 12:4230-41. 1992..Thus, the promoters of thyroglobulin and thyroperoxidase represent the first identified natural targets for transcriptional activation by a paired domain-containing protein...
- Targeted disruption of mouse Pds provides insight about the inner-ear defects encountered in Pendred syndromeL A Everett
Genome Technology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:153-61. 2001..The ultrastructural defects seen in the Pds(-/-) mice provide important clues about the mechanisms responsible for the inner-ear pathology associated with PDS mutations...
- Can color Doppler sonography aid in the prediction of malignancy of thyroid nodules?Mary C Frates
Department of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Ultrasound Med 22:127-31; quiz 132-4. 2003..To determine whether color Doppler interrogation of a thyroid nodule can aid in the prediction of malignancy...
- Prevalence and risk of cancer of focal thyroid incidentaloma identified by 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography for metastasis evaluation and cancer screening in healthy subjectsKeon Wook Kang
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Gyeonggi 411 764, Republic of Korea
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4100-4. 2003..Therefore, focal thyroid FDG-PET incidentaloma with high SUVs warrants a pathological diagnostic procedure if it changes a patient's treatment plan or prognosis...
- An integrated regulatory network controlling survival and migration in thyroid organogenesisRosanna Parlato
Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy
Dev Biol 276:464-75. 2004The thyroid gland originates from the ventral floor of the foregut as a thickening of the endodermal cell layer. The molecular mechanisms underlying the early steps of thyroid morphogenesis are not known...
- Thyroid hormones states and brain development interactionsOsama M Ahmed
Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Beni Suef University, Egypt
Int J Dev Neurosci 26:147-209. 2008..Disorders of the thyroid gland are among the most common endocrine maladies...
- The value of ultrasonography in predicting autoimmune thyroid diseaseO M Pedersen
Department of Clinical Biology, Haukeland Hospital, University of Bergen, Norway
Thyroid 10:251-9. 2000..3% [95% CI, 85% to 91%]), and 93 of 100 (93.0% [95% CI, 88% to 98%]), respectively. Thus, diffuse reduction in thyroid echogenicity was a valid predictor of AITD...
- Effects of time of administration and dietary iodine levels on potassium iodide (KI) blockade of thyroid irradiation by 131I from radioactive falloutP B Zanzonico
Nuclear Medicine Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Health Phys 78:660-7. 2000....
- Perspective: genetic defects in the etiology of congenital hypothyroidismPeter Kopp
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocrinology 143:2019-24. 2002....
- The endocytic catalysts, Rab5a and Rab7, are tandem regulators of thyroid hormone productionKarine Croizet-Berger
Cell Biology Unit, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 75 41 75 Avenue Hippocrate, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8277-82. 2002....
- Pendrin is an iodide-specific apical porter responsible for iodide efflux from thyroid cellsAkio Yoshida
First Department of Internal Medicine, Tottori University Faculty of Medicine, Nishimachi 36 1, Yonago, Tottori 683 8504, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3356-61. 2002....
- The relationship between the thyroid gland and the liverR Malik
Centre for Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Royal Free Campus, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
QJM 95:559-69. 2002..We highlight the intricate relations between the thyroid gland and the liver in health and disease.
- Thyroid status co-regulates thyroid hormone receptor and co-modulator genes specifically in the hypothalamusM S Clerget-Froidevaux
UMR CNRS 5166, Evolution des Regulations Endocriniennes, USM 501, Department Regulations, Developpement et Diversite Moleculaire, Museum national d histoire naturelle, 7 rue Cuvier, 75231 Paris Cedex 5, France
FEBS Lett 569:341-5. 2004..This study provides the first demonstration of tissue specific co-regulation of a set of genes by thyroid status within a defined brain area...
- Dual ectopic thyroid gland with Graves' disease and unilateral ophthalmopathy: a case report and review of the literatureG Kisakol
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Meram Medical Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 27:874-7. 2004Ectopic thyroid gland (ETG) is a rare entity and can be seen anywhere in the route of descending gland. It is much rarer when encountered away from the midline...
- The nuclear ceramide/diacylglycerol balance depends on the physiological state of thyroid cells and changes during UV-C radiation-induced apoptosisE Albi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Physiopathology Section, Policlinico Monteluce, Via Brunamonti, 06100 Perugia, Italy
Arch Biochem Biophys 478:52-8. 2008..This effect is marked in proapoptotic cell nuclei and low in quiescent cell nuclei. In conclusion, UV-C radiation induces apoptosis, modifying nuclear lipid metabolism in relation to the physiological state of cells...
- A morpho-molecular diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma: BRAF V600E detection as an important tool in preoperative evaluation of fine-needle aspiratesIvo Marchetti
University of Pisa and Pisa University Hospital, Italy
Thyroid 19:837-42. 2009..We also sought to determine if assessing the presence of BRAF gene mutations in preoperative FNA cytology slides would provide diagnostic information for FNA samples with a reading of indeterminate or suspicious thyroid lesions...
- Thyroid function and plasma concentrations of polyhalogenated compounds in Inuit adultsRenee Dallaire
Public Health Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec CHUL, 2875 boulevard Laurier Edifice Delta, Quebec, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 117:1380-6. 2009..So far, epidemiologic studies have focused on the potential effect of a small number of them, namely, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and some organochlorines (OCs), without paying attention to other important PHCs...
- Thyroid function in obese children and adolescentsValeria Marras
Servizio di Endocrinologia Pediatrica, Ospedale Regionale per le Microcitemie, Cagliari, Italy
Horm Res Paediatr 73:193-7. 2010..Obesity is frequently associated with modifications of thyroid size and function. We evaluated the prevalence of thyroid function abnormalities and the effects of puberty and weight loss in obese children and adolescents...
- Thyroid V30 predicts radiation-induced hypothyroidism in patients treated with sequential chemo-radiotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphomaLaura Cella
Institute of Biostructures and Bioimages, National Council of Research CNR, Naples, Italy
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:1802-8. 2012..The purpose of this study is to determine dose-volume constraints that correlate with functional impairment of the thyroid gland in HL patients treated with three-dimensional radiotherapy.
- Preoperative serum thyroglobulin concentration is an independent predictive factor of malignancy in follicular neoplasms of the thyroid glandRok Petric
Department of Surgical Oncology, Institute of Oncology, Zaloska, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Surg Oncol 105:351-6. 2012..The aim of this retrospective study was to find predictive factors of carcinoma in patients with FN...
- Zebrafish as a model for monocarboxyl transporter 8-deficiencyGad David Vatine
Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
J Biol Chem 288:169-80. 2013..This study shows that MCT8 is a crucial regulator during embryonic development and establishes the first vertebrate model for MCT8 deficiency that exhibits a neurological phenotype...
- Expression and regulation of type II iodothyronine deiodinase in human thyroid glandM Murakami
First Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi 371 8511, Japan
Endocrinology 142:2961-7. 2001..cultured human thyroid cells to elucidate the mechanisms involved in the regulation of DII expression in human thyroid gland. Three cases with hyperfunctioning thyroid adenoma, including a case that showed an activating mutation of G(s)..
- Image texture analysis of sonograms in chronic inflammations of thyroid glandDaniel Smutek
3rd Department of Medicine, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Ultrasound Med Biol 29:1531-43. 2003..Both selection schemes agreed on the best features. The results were confirmed on the independent test set. The stability of the results with respect to sonograph setting, thyroid gland segmentation and scanning direction was tested.
- I-131 dose response for incident thyroid cancers in Ukraine related to the Chornobyl accidentAlina V Brenner
Radiation Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7238, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:933-9. 2011..Current knowledge about Chornobyl-related thyroid cancer risks comes from ecological studies based on grouped doses, case-control studies, and studies of prevalent cancers...
- Human thyroid tumor cell lines derived from different tumor types present a common dedifferentiated phenotypeWilma C G van Staveren
Institute of Interdisciplinary Research IRIBHM, Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 67:8113-20. 2007..The use of any cell line as a model for a cancer therefore requires prior careful and thorough validation for the investigated property...
- Oxidative stress in the thyroid gland: from harmlessness to hazard depending on the iodine contentSylvie Poncin
Unité de Morphologie Expérimentale MOEX, Universite Catholique de Louvain, UCL 5251, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Endocrinology 149:424-33. 2008..In iodine-induced goiter involution, the increased oxidative stress is accompanied by inflammation that can be blocked by 15dPGJ2 through PPARgamma-independent protective effects...
- Involved-node and involved-field volumetric modulated arc vs. fixed beam intensity-modulated radiotherapy for female patients with early-stage supra-diaphragmatic Hodgkin lymphoma: a comparative planning studyDamien C Weber
Department of Radiation Oncology, Geneva University Hospital, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75:1578-86. 2009..A comparative treatment planning study was performed to compare volumetric-modulated arc (RA) to conventional intensity modulated (IMRT) for involved-field (IFRT) and involved-node (INRT) radiotherapy for Hodgkin lymphoma (HL)...
- Controversies in thyroid pathology: thyroid capsule invasion and extrathyroidal extensionOzgur Mete
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Surg Oncol 17:386-91. 2010....
- Minireview: Intrinsic and extrinsic factors in thyroid gland development: an updateMario De Felice
BIOGEM, 83031 Ariano Irpino AV, Italy
Endocrinology 152:2948-56. 2011In vertebrates the portion of the thyroid gland synthesizing the thyroid hormones develops from a small group of endodermal cells in the foregut...
- Thyroid function during critical illnessFoteini Economidou
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University of Athens, Department of Endocrinology, Evangelismos Hospital, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 10:117-24. 2011..Data on the beneficial effect of thyroid hormone treatment on outcome in critically ill patients are so far controversial. Thyroid function generally returns to normal as the acute illness resolves...
- Molecular Classification of Suspicious Thyroid TumorsMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- FASEB SRC on Lysophospholipd Mediators in Health and DiseaseJulie D Saba; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Carole R Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- KRISTEN RACHEL VELLA; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- SHAOCHUNG VICTOR HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2016..The long-term goal is to identify the regulatory mechanisms to assist in the development of novel therapeutic protocols for better treatments. ..
- Role of IKK in NSCLC: Modulation of SMRT and NF-kappaBMarty W Mayo; Fiscal Year: 2012..The overall goal of this project is use these newly identified gene products as novel therapeutic targets for detection and treatment of NSCLC. ..
- THOMAS STERLING SCANLAN; Fiscal Year: 2014..binding protein(s);(2) Determine whether T1AM is derived from T4, and whether this conversion happens in the thyroid gland or in the extrathyroidal periphery;and (3) Develop chronic dosing procedures for T1AM and study the effects of ..
- RONALD JAY KOENIG; Fiscal Year: 2014..The importance of PPFP functional domains on xenograft tumor formation and metastases will be assessed with DoxyPPFP cell lines expressing mutant PPFPs (for example, mutation of either the PAX8 or PPARg DNA binding domain). ..
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, depression in women is linked to several major medical illnesses. Thus, a novel intervention for adolescent females with MDD has the potential to broadly impact public health, beyond the boundaries of psychiatry. ..
- THOMAS STERLING SCANLAN; Fiscal Year: 2015..4) Determine the mechanism of intracellular uptake of T1AM and search for T1AM target proteins. ..
- RADIATION-INDUCED THYROID CANCERHeinz Ulrich G Weier; Fiscal Year: 2011..We expect this research to lead to improved control of PTC with regard to early disease detection and better disease management and, thus, to enhance public health services. ..
- Parental age at birth and risk of adult-onset cancer in female offspringYani Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The long-term goal of the research is to explore biomarkers that link parental age and cancer risk to clarify etiology, and thus provide potential targets for prevention. ..
- CHRISTOPHER KIRK THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2014..The goal of this project is to determine how these compounds affect brain development using Xenopus laevis tadpoles as a model species. ..
- Morgan R Peltier; Fiscal Year: 2016..This study will help fulfill the critical need to better understand the potential role of PBDEs, which were detectable in >90% of all pregnant women, on risk for adverse pregnancy outcomes. ..
- Liqing Yu; Fiscal Year: 2014..Given that NPC1L1 is the target of ezetimibe, an FDA-approved intestinal cholesterol absorption inhibitor that is widely used to lower blood cholesterol in humans, these studies have enormous translational potential. ..
- Site-directed Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer using Novel Angiogenesis InhibitorShaker A Mousa; Fiscal Year: 2010..A novel technology, the use of nanoparticles to encapsulate the test drugs, and direct them to tumors will be tested to determine whether these nanoparticles can improve the delivery of drugs and minimize the associated toxicities. ..
- Understanding thyroid hormone regulation of neurogenesis in the cochleaMirna Mustapha; Fiscal Year: 2013..Basic information about the molecular genetics and hormonal regulation of cochlear innervation will emerge from these studies, potentially informing efforts at improving innervation of regenerating hair cells. ..
- Human developmental toxicity of metal mixture exposure from e-waste recyclingAimin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will address the developmental effects of metal mixtures from primitive e-waste recycling activities. It will inform environmental health policy making to manage the e-waste and protect human health. ..
- Lucio G Costa; Fiscal Year: 2014..Altogether, results from this R21 proposal will provide the basis for further in vivo studies to be carried out with lo doses PBDEs. ..
- Sandra M McLachlan; Fiscal Year: 2016..a common disease in humans, is caused by an abnormal immune response to a "self" protein in the thyroid gland called the thyrotropin receptor...
- Early Disease Biomarkers of PCB-exposed Human PopulationSisir K Dutta; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Graves'Disease Therapy Risks to Mother and FetusScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..When completed, we anticipate that these studies will provide needed epidemiology and basic-teratology data about the relative risks of PTU, MMI, and hyperthyroidism to mother and fetus. ..
- ANGELA MEI TIN LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2015..abstract_text> ..
- Optimal Selective Thyroid Hormone Analogs for Metabolic SyndromeJohn D Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will find drugs that will safely treat high cholesterol and obesity and work through one class of these proteins, thyroid hormone receptors. ..
- The relative roled of sex and genes during development of systemic autoimmunityTRINE NORGAARD JORGENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PROTRH GENE TRANSCRIPTION AND BIOSYNTHESIS BY LEPTINEDUARDO NILLNI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This neuropeptide regulates the output of thyroid hormone through the HPT axis. The function of the thyroid gland is to produce the thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4), which regulate transcription of ..
- Antonio C Bianco; Fiscal Year: 2014..In particular, the finding of hepatic steatosis in D2KO animals offers a tantalizing hint of a previously unexpected role (whether direct or indirect) for D2 in the regulation of hepatic lipid homeostasis. ..
- A Validated Resource of Thyroid Cancer Cell Lines for Pathway DiscoveryJEFFREY ALLEN KNAUF; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Forkhead Transcription Factor, FOXO1, and its Role in Pituitary Gland DevelopBUFFY SUE ELLSWORTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Pituitary hormones are essential for survival after birth and for the normal development of gonads and thyroid gland. The forkhead transcription factor, FOXO1, is essential for the normal development and function of muscle, ..
- R John Solaro; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Effect of Polybrominated Diphenal Ether Flame Retardant Exposure on OsteogenesisDeena J Small; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Immunoglobulin Activation of FibroblastsTerry J Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..ophthalmopathy (TAO) is the sight-threatening orbital component of Graves'disease, a syndrome where the thyroid gland becomes over-active...
- Sally A Camper; Fiscal Year: 2016..This information will be informative for identifying the basis for human pituitary diseases including congenital hormone deficiencies and common adenomas. ..
- Role of Oleylethanolamine in the Regulation of the HPT AxisCsaba Fekete; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Atrial Fibrillation in Hyperthyroidism: Active Antibodies to Autonomic ReceptorsDAVID KEM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our studies are directed toward establishing this association with atrial fibrillation and to develop future preventative measures and treatment. ..
- Bisphenol A and Children's Growth & DevelopmentKIM G contact HARLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sheela Natesh Magge; Fiscal Year: 2016..This evidence may provide the foundation to advance prevention and treatment strategies for this underserved group with intellectual and developmental disabilities at high-risk for obesity and its life-long consequences. ..
- Thyroid hormone-dependent DNA methylation in the developing brainYasuhiro Kyono; Fiscal Year: 2012..Such understanding can contribute to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of human neurological conditions such as mental retardation, autism spectrum disorder and schizophrenia. ..
- Carboxylesterase-activated Doxazolidine-prodrug for Hepatocellular CarcinomaTad H Koch; Fiscal Year: 2012..Preliminary subcutaneous xenograft experiments indicate tumor growth inhibition in mouse models of liver cancer and non-small cell lung cancer using cancer cells that express CES2. ..
- Role of endocrine-disrupting chemicals and social stress on perinatal outcomesAmi R Zota; Fiscal Year: 2012..Results from this work will improve pregnancy outcomes and inform public health policy, particularly for vulnerable subpopulations, who often encounter elevated exposures to chemical and non-chemical stressors. ..
- Phylogenomics and functional diversification of the Heterochromatin Protein 1 genMIA TAUNA LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2012..My evolutionary/comparative genomic approach promises to identify new biological functions for HP1 genes that advance our understanding of the gene regulation and chromosome segregation defects in cancer cells. ..
- METABOLIC EFFECTS OF THYROID HORMONEHerbert Samuels; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies should provide a more comprehensive picture of how these factors modulate NR function and other important biological processes in cells. ..
- Ronald M Evans; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Heather M Stapleton; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Craig M Steinmaus; Fiscal Year: 2014..Perchlorate competitively inhibits iodide uptake into the thyroid gland. Since iodide is required for thyroid hormone synthesis, this can cause a decrease in thyroid hormone ..
- Direct Regulation of Mitochondrial Transcription by Thyroid Hormone and ReceptorMEGAN LYNN BESTWICK; Fiscal Year: 2012..This research proposal aims to provide further understanding for the role of mitochondria in human disease and metabolic disorders such as diabetes. ..
- Ecstasy and the Dorsomedial HypothalamusDaniel E Rusyniak; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Curtis J Omiecinski; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Anna Katerina Hadjantonakis; Fiscal Year: 2016..We will test the hypothesis that extraembryonic (visceral) endoderm is not an exclusively extraembryonic tissue using a genetic induced fate mapping approach. ..
- Yawei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2016..These changes are suspected to lead to tumorigenesis of the thyroid gland. While animal studies have provided solid evidence in support of the link between PHAHs and thyroid cancer ..
- JOHN DAVID LAMBETH; Fiscal Year: 2014..A molecular understanding of the regulation of Nox/Duox enzymes will provide key information that will be key to preventing excess or inappropriate ROS generation and mitigating the course of these diseases. ..
- FRANK ARTHUR VON HIPPEL; Fiscal Year: 2014..This research will advance our understanding of human thyroid diseases and the recent epidemic of impaired human reproductive health. ..
- Regulation of Nox Enzymes by Calcium and Novel SubunitsJ Lambeth; Fiscal Year: 2009..A molecular understanding of the regulation of Nox/Duox enzymes will provide key information that will be key to preventing excess or inappropriate ROS generation and mitigating the course of these diseases. ..
- Research and Mentoring on Energetic Factors and Cancer: Established InvestigatorLeslie Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Brenda Eskenazi; Fiscal Year: 2015..This study aims to provide data to evaluate the risk/benefit of different methods of malaria control and for the development of appropriate interventions to reduce exposure to pregnant women and children. ..
- Characterization of TGR5-D2-WSB1 signaling in metabolic homeostasis in vivoANTONIO C contact BIANCO; Fiscal Year: 2010..2. Tissue-specific TGR5 and WSB1 expression is critical in metabolic control. 3. Signaling through the TGR5-D2-WSB1 pathway affects cellular metabolic profile and gene expression profiles. ..
- Smita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Deiodinase Activity as a Biomarker of Response to Brominated Flame RetardantsHeather M Stapleton; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Development of A Novel Anti-Hyperglycemic AgentZhaoping Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..We believe that Cyclo-Z will be effective and safe in the prevention and treatment of diabetes and that this novel drug will be beneficial to the health of many diabetic veteran patients. ..
- MAX ELLIOT GOTTESMAN; Fiscal Year: 2016..Second, the support of these trainees fosters current and future research efforts to understand endocrine functions and associated endocrine diseases. ..
- Risk Factors for CraniosynostosisSuzan L Carmichael; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research will fill an important data gap by launching forward our knowledge regarding etiologies of CS and providing direction for the next generation of studies of CS. ..
- SIMPLIFIED POPULATION SCREENING FOR ADULT HYPOTHYROIDISMEdwin Naylor; Fiscal Year: 2000..Screening Large populations and using very inexpensive specimens greatly enhance the cost- effectiveness of the test and the commercial application of this technology. ..
- Recombinant Human TSH Superagonists for Imaging of Thyroid CancerBruce Weintraub; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neuropsychological & Thyroid Effects of Perfluorinated Compounds in Older AdultsEdward Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Microarray analysis of thyroid neoplasmMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will be performed using quantitative real-time RT-PCR on RNA samples from a panel of thyroid tumors. ..
- ANIMAL AND CELLULAR MODELS OF THYROID HORMONE RESISTANCEGregory Brent; Fiscal Year: 1999..This in vitro system will complement the in vivo studies and provide a model to study tissue specific gene regulation under more defined conditions. ..
- CNS DEVELOPMENT UNDER HYPERGRAVITY : MODULATION BY TH?ELIZABETH SAJDEL SULKOWSKA; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will aid in developing an understanding of how altered gravity affects CNS development, what role the thyroid hormone plays in that response, and whether this response can be modulated by hormonal therapy. ..
- COREPRESSORS AND NEGATIVE REGULATION BY THYROID HORMONERonald Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will provide an ideal environment to complete this project, and will provide a basis for Dr. Cohen's transition to an independent investigator. ..
- HEMOSTATIC DEFECTS AND THYROID HORMONE THERAPYWINIFRED DODDS; Fiscal Year: 1990..Finally, synthesis and release of VWF from cultured endothelial cells will be studied in the presence and absence of thyroid hormones...
- CATECHOLAMINE MODULATION OF THYROID HORMONE METABOLISMHarvey Katzeff; Fiscal Year: 1992..These studies should provide basis for future studies into the molecular biology of the effects of exercise on regulation of thyroid and protein synthesis...
- ROLE OF THYROGLOBULIN IN THYROXINE BIOSYNTHESISALLEN RAWITCH; Fiscal Year: 1990..The structure and function of thyroid peroxidase are being studied along with new methodology for its purification...
- THYROID HORMONE, EPILEPSY, AND CNS MATURATIONSIENYAO CHOW; Fiscal Year: 1992..Since hypothyroidism in infants produce cretinism, understanding the processes by which this occurs is of great importance in the clinical control of this disease...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF THYROID HORMONE ACTIONFredric Wondisford; Fiscal Year: 2009..The effect of this mutation on both positive and negative T3 regulation will be determined in vivo. Study of other animal models, where co-repressor function has been altered, is also planned in this aim. ..