Genomes and Genes
Summary: A mammalian fetus expelled by INDUCED ABORTION or SPONTANEOUS ABORTION.
Publications225 found, 100 shown here
- Development of a set of multiplex standard polymerase chain reaction assays for the identification of infectious agents from aborted bovine clinical samplesClara Tramuta
Department of Animal Production, Epidemiology and Ecology, University of Turin, Via Leonardo da Vinci, 44, 10095 Grugliasco TO, Italy
J Vet Diagn Invest 23:657-64. 2011..The proposed set of multiplex PCR assays is, therefore, suitable for the simultaneous detection of the main infectious agents responsible for bovine abortion...
- [Preliminary application of PCR-based assay for the detection of Neospora caninum in bovine aborted fetus]Chun Ren Wang
College of Animal Science and Technology, Heilongjiang August First Land Reclamation University, Daqing 163319, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 27:140-3. 2009To establish a PCR diagnostic method based on Nc-5 gene of Neospora caninum, for being used to detect Neospora in brain tissues of bovine aborted fetus.
- Comparative genomic hybridization analysis of spontaneous abortionYali Hu
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Institute of Toxicology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 92:52-7. 2006..To evaluate the feasibility and superiority of comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) in the genetic analysis of spontaneously aborted tissues...
- Chimerism and multiple numerical chromosome imbalances in a spontaneously aborted fetusS G Vorsanova
Institute of Pediatrics and Children Surgery, Roszdrav, Moscow, Russia
Tsitol Genet 40:28-30. 2006..To the best our knowledge the present case is the first documented chimera in a spontaneously aborted fetus. The application of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) using chromosome enumeration and site-..
- Comparison of polymerase chain reaction and bacteriological culture for the diagnosis of sheep brucellosis using aborted fetus samplesGüler Leyla
Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Konya 42080, Turkey
Vet Microbiol 93:53-61. 2003..In the study, during 3 successive lambing seasons (1998-1999, 1999-2000 and 2000-2001) 126 aborted fetus samples each from different flocks and locations were examined...
- Neospora species-associated abortion in alpacas (Vicugna pacos) and llamas (Llama glama)E Serrano-Martínez
Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria, Centro de Investigaciones INITA, 41 0068 Lima, Peru
Vet Rec 155:748-9. 2004
- Neuropathological changes in ovine fetuse caused by tickborne feverF Chianini
Moredun Research Institute, Bush Loan, Penicuik EH26 0PZ
Vet Rec 155:805-6. 2004
- Parental origin and cell stage of non-disjunction of double trisomy in spontaneous abortionQing Ying Li
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nagoya City University Medical School, Nagoya, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 45:21-5. 2005..These findings suggest the possibility that abnormal separation of two or more chromosomes may occur simultaneously in oogonia, and that this phenomenon may increase in relation to the increase in age of women...
- Evaluation of a PCR based on primers to Nc5 gene for the detection of Neospora caninum in brain tissues of bovine aborted fetusesV S O Paula
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria Preventiva e Saude Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia da Universidade de São Paulo, Rua Prof Dr Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, CEP 05508 000 Cidade Universitária, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Vet Res Commun 28:581-5. 2004
- Prevalence of porcine circovirus type 2 in aborted fetuses and stillborn pigletsJ Kim
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine and School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Shillim Dong, Kwanak Gu 151 742, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Vet Rec 155:489-92. 2004..Viral antigen was detected in macrophages from the aborted fetuses and stillborn piglets by immunohistochemistry, and viral DNA was detected by in situ hybridisation...
- Prevalence and epidemiological features of ovine enzootic abortion in LithuaniaJ Bagdonas
Department of Infectious Diseases, Lithuanian Veterinary Academy, Tilzes 18, LT 47181 Kaunas, Lithuania
Pol J Vet Sci 10:239-44. 2007..Analysis of smears from patological material by indirect FAT revealed that 54.5% of animals were positive to Chlamydophila abortus infection. The highest prevalence of chlamydia (66.7%) was registered in placentas of sheep which aborted...
- Abortion and ulcerative posthitis associated with caprine herpesvirus-1 infection in goats in CaliforniaFrancisco A Uzal
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, San Bernardino Branch, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, San Bernardino, CA 92408, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 16:478-84. 2004..The results presented here support the hypothesis that the male goat is involved in the transmission of CHV-1. However, other forms of transmission cannot be ruled out...
- Evaluation of Neospora caninum and Toxoplasma gondii infections in alpaca (Vicugna pacos) and llama (Lama glama) aborted foetuses from PeruE Serrano-Martínez
SALUVET, Animal Health Department, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Complutense University of Madrid, Ciudad Universitaria s n, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
Vet Parasitol 150:39-45. 2007..05, chi2 test). The results of the present study indicate that neosporosis should be included during the differential diagnosis of abortion in llamas and alpacas...
- Aetiology of bovine abortion in ArgentinaC M Campero
Animal Health Group, Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria, CC 276, 7620 Balcarce, Argentina
Vet Res Commun 27:359-69. 2003..Neospora caninum was detected by an immunohistochemical technique in 26 cases (7.3%). Congenital abnormalities, dystocia and mummifications were found in 8, 19 and 11 cases, respectively...
- Survey of ovine and caprine toxoplasmosis by IFAT and PCR assays in Sardinia, ItalyG Masala
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sardegna, Via Duca degli Abruzzi 8, I 07100 Sassari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 117:15-21. 2003..gondii has a significant role in ovine and caprine abortion. Adequate management might be useful and essential to control the toxoplasmosis in the sheep and goats herds of Sardinia...
- An outbreak of abortions and high neonatal mortality associated with Trypanosoma evansi infection in dromedary camels in the Canary IslandsC Gutierrez
Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery, Veterinary Faculty, University of Las Palmas, 3416, Arucas, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain
Vet Parasitol 130:163-8. 2005..Massive treatment would be recommended in the entire camel population in the Canary Islands (less than 2000 animals), as therapeutic or preventive measure, in order to control and to achieve an eventual eradication of the disease...
- Neospora caninum in sheep: a herd case reportM Hassig
Department for Veterinary Reproduction, Section for Herd Health, Winterthurerstrasse 260, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Parasitol 117:213-20. 2003..4% of 117 ewes. Other organisms associated with abortion were Chlamydia psittaci in three fetuses and Pasteurella multocida in one fetus. This is the first report of N. caninum associated abortion in naturally infected sheep...
- Investigation of Neospora sp. antibodies in aborted mares from Normandy, FrancePierre Hugues Pitel
Laboratoire Departemental Frank Duncombe, 1 Route de Rosel, 14053 Caen Cedex 4, France
Vet Parasitol 118:1-6. 2003..caninum amplification product was present while a large variation of maternal antibody titers was found. Data prompt at additional surveys of association between equine reproductive failure and Neospora sp. infection...
- Evaluation of ovine abortion associated with Toxoplasma gondii in Spain by different diagnostic techniquesJ Pereira-Bueno
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, E 24007 León, Spain
Vet Parasitol 121:33-43. 2004....
- Detection of toxoplasmosis in experimentally infected goats by PCRC Sreekumar
Division of Parasitology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, Uttar Pradesh, 243 122, India
Vet Rec 154:632-5. 2004..Direct PCR of the lung, muscle and mesenteric lymph node of the doe and lung tissue of the aborted fetus yielded the target fragment...
- Role of catalase in the virulence of Brucella melitensis in pregnant goatsJason M Gee
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport 71130 3932, USA
Vet Microbiol 102:111-5. 2004..These experimental findings indicate that although the sole periplasmic catalase of Brucella melitensis functions as an antioxidant, this enzyme does not play a critical role in virulence in the natural host...
- Detection of Neospora caninum in an aborted goat foetusC Eleni
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Umbria e delle Marche, Via G Salvemini, 1 06126 Perugia, Italy
Vet Parasitol 123:271-4. 2004..No data are available about the infection in sheep and goats. In this paper, the authors report the detection of protozoan cysts, identified as N. caninum by PCR, in the brain of an aborted goat foetus...
- Study on the epidemiology of equine arteritis virus infection with different diagnostic techniques by investigating 96 cases of equine abortion in HungaryLevente Szeredi
Central Veterinary Institute, H 1149 Budapest, Tábornok u 2, Hungary
Vet Microbiol 108:235-42. 2005..5%) cases mostly in the spleen followed by other organs and the allantochorion. In conclusion, PCR and immunohistochemistry seem to be the most sensitive and useful tests for the diagnosis of EAV induced equine abortion...
- High prevalence of chlamydial (Chlamydophila psittaci) infection in fetal membranes of aborted equine fetusesL Szeredi
Central Veterinary Institute, Tábornok u 2, H 1149 Budapest, Hungary
Vet Res Commun 29:37-49. 2005..In conclusion, chlamydial infection of the genital tract should be considered a possible factor in equine reproductive disorders...
- Role of Chlamydophila abortus in ovine and caprine abortion in Sardinia, ItalyG Masala
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sardegna, Via Duca degli Abruzzi 8, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Vet Res Commun 29:117-23. 2005..These results indicate that the seroprevalence of C. abortus infection in sheep and goats is very low in Sardinia, and PCR results demonstrate that C. abortus has no significant role in abortion, especially in goats...
- First report of Neospora caninum-associated bovine abortion in Mashhad area, IranG R Razmi
Department of Pathobiology, School Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, P O Box 91775 1793, Mashhad, Iran
Parasitol Res 100:755-7. 2007..The results indicated that neosporosis is an important cause of abortion in dairy cattle of Iran...
- Emergence of a tetracycline-resistant Campylobacter jejuni clone associated with outbreaks of ovine abortion in the United StatesOrhan Sahin
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1663-71. 2008..Together, these results indicate that a single tetracycline-resistant C. jejuni clone has emerged as the major cause of Campylobacter-associated sheep abortion in the United States...
- Comparison of PCR assay and bacteriological culture method for the detection of Brucella melitensis in stomach content samples of aborted sheep fetusesZ Ilhan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 114:460-4. 2007..melitensis in stomach content samples of aborted sheep fetuses...
- Detection of pathogens in ovine and caprine abortion samples from Sardinia, Italy, by PCRGiovanna Masala
Istituto Zooprofilattico, Via Duca degli Abruzzi 8, 07100 Sassari, Italy
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:96-8. 2007..Out of a total of 31 caprine aborted samples, T. gondii was detected most frequently (13% of fetuses and 25% of placentae), followed by C. abortus (12.5% of placentae), C. burnetii (12.5% of placentae), and N. caninum (8.6%)...
- Detection of equine herpesviruses in aborted foetuses by consensus PCRA Leon
Frank Duncombe Laboratory, 1 Route de Rosel, 14053 Caen Cedex 4, France Microbiology Service and EA 2128 Host Relations and Micro organisms of the Epithelium, University Hospital of Caen, France
Vet Microbiol 126:20-9. 2008....
- Detection of bovine herpesvirus 4 DNA in aborted bovine fetusesZoltán Deim
Department of Mammalian Pathology, Central Veterinary Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 1581 P O Box 18, Budapest, Hungary
Can J Vet Res 71:226-9. 2007..Fungi were detected in 1 sample, and antibody to bovine viral diarrhea virus was detected in another. These results indicate that BoHV-4 could play a role in reproductive disorders of cattle, including abortion...
- Abortion in a thoroughbred mare associated with an infection with avirulent Rhodococcus equiY Nakamura
Livestock Hygiene Service Centre of Hidaka, Shizunai, Hokkaido 056 0003, Japan
Vet Rec 161:342-6. 2007..The avirulent isolates were characterised by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, which yielded only one VspI profile in all the isolates from the fetus and its dam...
- Isolation of Neospora caninum from dairy zero grazing cattle in IsraelL Fish
Division of Parasitology, Kimron Veterinary Institute, PO Box 12, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Vet Parasitol 149:167-71. 2007..The inoculated gerbils developed specific antibodies to N. caninum, with end-point serum dilution of 1:4096 in the IFA assay, whereas no neurological signs or deaths were seen during 4 months of observation...
- Experimental Coxiella burnetii infection in pregnant goats: a histopathological and immunohistochemical studyJ Sanchez
Departamento de Anatomia y Anatomia Patologica Comparadas, Universidad de Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Comp Pathol 135:108-15. 2006..Neither lesions nor C. burnetii DNA were found in maternal organs in animals maintained until day 120 post-abortion...
- Detection of bovine herpesvirus 4 in aborted bovine placentasZoltán Deim
National Veterinary Institute, Department of Mammal Pathology, Budapest, Hungary
Microb Pathog 41:144-8. 2006..This finding is a further sign that BoHV-4 plays an active role in reproductive disorders of cattle...
- Detection of equine herpesvirus type 1 by real time PCRGabriella Elia
Department of Animal Health and Well Being, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Bari, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
J Virol Methods 133:70-5. 2006..The high sensitivity and reproducibility of the EHV-1-specific fluorogenic PCR assay, combined with the wide dynamic range and the high throughput, make this method suitable for diagnostic and research applications...
- Isolation of equine herpesvirus-2 from the lung of an aborted fetusCecilia Mónica Galosi
Department of Virology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, National University of La Plata, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
J Vet Diagn Invest 17:500-2. 2005..The presence of EHV-2 in the lung of the aborted fetus would indicate that this virus is capable of crossing the placental barrier...
- Veterinary and medical aspects of abortion in Danish sheepJørgen S Agerholm
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark
APMIS 114:146-52. 2006..Due to the high prevalence of zoonotic microorganisms, precautions must be taken in handling abortions or assisting lambing, especially for pregnant women...
- Two cases of equine abortion caused by Rhodococcus equiL Szeredi
Central Veterinary Institute, Budapest Tábornok u 2, H 1149, Hungary
Vet Pathol 43:208-11. 2006..Fetal lesions were similar to those observed in foals. We speculate that the fetuses contracted infection from the placenta by normal breathing movements or by swallowing of the amniotic fluid contaminated with R. equi...
- A survey of equine abortion and perinatal foal losses in Hungary during a three-year period (1998-2000)Levente Szeredi
Central Agricultural Office Veterinary Diagnostic Directorate, H 1149 Budapest, Tábornok u 2, Hungary
Acta Vet Hung 56:353-67. 2008..Morphological lesions suggestive of infection were recorded in 2 (2%) and non-infectious causes in 16 cases (17%)...
- Maternal age-specific fetal loss rates in Down syndrome pregnanciesGeorge M Savva
Centre for Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK
Prenat Diagn 26:499-504. 2006..In this article, we investigate the relationship between maternal age and the risk of spontaneous fetal loss in DS pregnancies...
- Klebsiella oxytoca as a cause of equine abortion--short communicationLevente Szeredi
Central Agricultural Office, Veterinary Diagnostic Directorate, Budapest, Hungary
Acta Vet Hung 56:215-20. 2008..The results indicate that K. oxytoca can cause sporadic equine abortion...
- Classification of Actinobacillus spp isolates from horses involved in mare reproductive loss syndromeJames M Donahue
Livestock Disease Diagnostic Center, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky, Lexington, 40511 4125, USA
Am J Vet Res 67:1426-32. 2006....
- Histopathological and immunohistochemical aspects of Neospora caninum diagnosis in bovine aborted fetusesC A Pescador
Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Departamento de Patologia Clinica Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9090, Cx Postal 15094, CEP91540 000, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 150:159-63. 2007..caninum infection. The results also confirmed that, even autolyzed, the brain is the most suitable organ for anti-N. caninum IHC...
- Comparison of methods for the diagnosis of equine herpesvirus type 1 infectionL Szeredi
Central Veterinary Institute, H 1149 Budapest, Tábornok u 2, Hungary
Acta Vet Hung 51:153-63. 2003....
- Immunohistochemical identification and pathologic findings in natural cases of equine abortion caused by leptospiral infectionL Szeredi
Central Veterinary Institute, Budapest, Tábornok u 2, H 1149 Hungary
Vet Pathol 43:755-61. 2006..The primary advantage of IHC over silver staining was the ability of IHC to identify leptospiral antigen not only as morphologically intact spiral forms...
- [Abortion in small ruminants in Switzerland: investigations during two lambing seasons (1996-1998) with special regard to chlamydial abortions]H Chanton-Greutmann
Institut für Veterinärpathologie, Universitat Zurich
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 144:483-92. 2002..Malformation occurred in sheep (2%) and goats (3%) and lesions suggestive for Vitamin E/Selenium deficiency were seen in goats only (2%)...
- Demonstration of generalized infection with caprine herpesvirus 1 diagnosed in an aborted caprine fetus by PCRV Keuser
Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Liege, Belgium
Vet Res Commun 26:221-6. 2002
- Seroepidemiology of beef and dairy herds and fetal study of Neospora caninum in ArgentinaDadin Prando Moore
Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cienti ficas y Técnicas CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 107:303-16. 2002..caninum is an important risk factor for reproductive losses in the extensively farmed beef cattle in the Humid Pampas of Argentina...
- Occurrence, distribution, and role in abortion of Coxiella burnetii in sheep and goats in Sardinia, ItalyGiovanna Masala
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sardegna G Pegreffi, Via Duca degli Abruzzi 8, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Vet Microbiol 99:301-5. 2004..Seroprevalence analysis indicates that C. burnetii distribution in sheep and goats is very high, but PCR results demonstrate that C. burnetii has a relatively low role in abortion, especially in goats...
- First PCR-confirmed report of a Neospora caninum-associated bovine abortion in AustriaR Edelhofer
Institute of Parasitology and Zoology, University of Medicine, Vienna, Austria
Vet Rec 152:471-3. 2003
- Descriptive epidemiology of late-term abortions associated with the mare reproductive loss syndrome in central KentuckyNoah D Cohen
Department of Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4475, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 15:295-7. 2003..This report describes the pathological findings characterizing the MRLS-associated abortion. A cause of MRLS could not be determined from necropsy findings...
- Epidermal stem cells are the source of sweat glands in human fetal skin: evidence of synergetic development of stem cells, sweat glands, growth factors, and matrix metalloproteinasesXiaobing Fu
Wound Healing and Cell Biology Laboratory, Burns Institute, 304 Clinical Department, The General Hospital of PLA, Trauma Center of Postgraduate Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Wound Repair Regen 13:102-8. 2005..Epidermal growth factor is one of the main inducers in the development and maturity of sweat gland buds or cells and the local activated MMPs may play an important role in cleaving the major matrix components in the basement membrane...
- Serratia marcescens infection associated with early abortion in cows and buffaloesA M Das
Department of Bacteriology, Bombay Veterinary College, Parel, India
Epidemiol Infect 101:143-9. 1988..Each animal after abortion showed a raised titre of agglutinating antibody to their respective isolate. A survey of 1172 healthy buffaloes and cattle gave an incidence of 1.8% with raised titres towards S. marcescens...
- Increased nuchal translucency, hydrops fetalis or hygroma colli. A new test strategy for early fetal aneuploidy detectionJ Jenderny
Institute of Immunology, Pathology, Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Department of Prenatal Diagnostic and Therapy, Hamburg, Germany
Fetal Diagn Ther 16:211-4. 2001....
- Pathology of brucellosis in bison from Yellowstone National ParkJ C Rhyan
U S Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services, National Wildlife Research Center, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
J Wildl Dis 37:101-9. 2001..A similar study with the same tissue collection and culture protocol was done using six seropositive cattle from a B. abortus-infected herd in July and August, 1997. Results of the bison and cattle studies were similar...
- Immunohistochemical identification of Campylobacter fetus in natural cases of bovine and ovine abortionsC M Campero
Animal Health Group, Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria INTA, CC 276 7620 Balcarce, Argentina
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 52:138-41. 2005..The C. fetus IHC procedure performed on formalin fixed tissues is a practical tool for the diagnosis of natural cases of ovine and bovine abortion caused by C. fetus...
- Serological investigation of an outbreak of Neospora caninum-associated abortion in a dairy herd in southeastern United StatesM C Jenkins
US Department of Agriculture, ARS LPSI, Immunology and Disease Resistance Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Parasitol 94:17-26. 2000..caninum infection. Of the cows at risk for abortion, the mean serological AI of aborting cows was significantly lower (P<0.05) than mean serological AI of non-aborting cows...
- Molecular epidemiology and genetic characterization of equine arteritis virus isolates associated with the 2006-2007 multi-state disease occurrence in the USAJianqiang Zhang
Department of Veterinary Science, Maxwell H Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546, USA
J Gen Virol 91:2286-301. 2010..A virus isolate from an aborted fetus in Utah was shown to have a distinct neutralization phenotype compared with other isolates associated with the ..
- Brucellosis in captive Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis) caused by Brucella abortus biovar 4Terry J Kreeger
Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Wheatland, Wyoming 82201, USA
J Wildl Dis 40:311-5. 2004..many of the manifestations ascribed to this disease and that infection can occur from natural exposure to an aborted fetus from another species...
- Brucella melitensis infection in sheep: present and futureB Garin-Bastuji
Laboratoire de référence OIE pour la brucellose, Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Res 29:255-74. 1998..The brucellin allergic skin test can be used as a screening or complementary test in unvaccinated flocks, provided that a purified, lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-free and standardized antigen preparation is used...
- Harvey Cushing's attempt at the first human pituitary transplantationCourtney Pendleton
Department of Neurosurgery and Oncology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 1550 Orleans Street, Cancer Research Building II, Room 253, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 6:48-52. 2010..In 1911, a 48 year-old man presented at Johns Hopkins Hospital with bitemporal hemianopsia, hypothermia, hypersomnolence, decreased libido, polydypsia and polyuria...
- Rift valley feverGertruida H Gerdes
Department of Virology, P Bag X05, Veterinary Research Institute, Onderstepoort 0110, South Africa
Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 18:549-55. 2002..Diagnosis is based on histopathology or the demonstration of viral antigen or antibody...
- Molecular analysis and prenatal prediction of spinal muscular atrophy in Chinese patients by the combination of restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis, denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography, and linkage analysisWan Jin Chen
Department of Neurology and Institute of Neurology, First Affiliated Hospital, Fujian Medical University, 20 Chazhong Road, Fuzhou 350 005, China
Arch Neurol 64:225-31. 2007..The difficulties and incurability of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) highlight the importance of prenatal diagnosis in families with SMA. However, the system applied in prenatal screening is far from perfect...
- Equine viral arteritisF del Piero
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, New Bolton Center, Kennett Square 19348 1692, USA
Vet Pathol 37:287-96. 2000..Eventually, the virus multiplies within renal tubular cells. Lesions are uncommon in the aborted fetus; if present, they are mild, and EAVAg is frequently not detectable within fetal tissues and placenta...
- Evaluation of surveillance strategies for bovine brucellosis in Japan using a simulation modelTakehisa Yamamoto
Epidemiological Research Team, National Institute of Animal Health, 3 1 5 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Prev Vet Med 86:57-74. 2008..by Brucella abortus and induces abortions in female cattle, with other cattle at risk of infection from the aborted fetus or contaminated placenta...
- Classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in croatia between 1995 and 2006Katja Dumic
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Kispaticeva 12, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Horm Res 72:310-4. 2009..To evaluate the incidence, gender, symptoms and age at diagnosis among patients with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in Croatia...
- Fetal Down syndrome brains exhibit aberrant levels of neurotransmitters critical for normal brain developmentNigel Whittle
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Pharmacy and Center for Molecular Biosciences, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Pediatrics 120:e1465-71. 2007..However, mechanisms that underlie the observed dysfunctional brain development in Down syndrome are not clear...
- Ecological studies of Japanese encephalitis virus in Hokkaido: interepidemic outbreaks of swine abortion and evidence for the virus to overwinter locallyI Takashima
Department of Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 38:420-7. 1988..These data suggest that Japanese encephalitis virus is maintained in a distinct endemic focus and has the capacity to overwinter locally in Hokkaido...
- Associated malformations in infants and fetuses with upper or lower neural tube defectsB Kälién
Tornblad Institute, University of Lund, Sweden
Teratology 57:56-63. 1998..These findings together with other epidemiological data support the idea that upper and lower neural tube defects may have different significance in epidemiological studies and should be treated separately...
- Epizootic abortion related to infections by Chlamydophila abortus and Chlamydophila pecorum in water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)G Greco
Department of Animal Health and Wellbeing, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, 70010 Valenzano, Italy
Theriogenology 69:1061-9. 2008..in water buffalo (B. Bubalis) herds...
- Effects of bovine Herpesvirus Type 5 on development of in vitro-produced bovine embryosC Silva-Frade
Laboratory of Animal Virology, College of Veterinary Medicine, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Theriogenology 73:324-31. 2010..As zygotes infected 1 d after fertilization had compromised development, BoHV-5 has the potential to be a pathogen with economic consequences...
- Plasma pregnancy-associated glycoprotein-1 (PAG-1) concentrations during gestation in Neospora-infected dairy cowsF Lopez-Gatius
Department of Animal Production, University of Lleida, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Agraria, Avda Rovira Roure 177, 25198 Lleida, Spain
Theriogenology 67:502-8. 2007..These findings suggest that N. caninum infection has no effect on placental function in chronically infected, cows not suffering abortion, while PAG-1 measurements in aborting animals provide a useful indication of feto-placental status...
- Stereological investigation and expression of calcium-binding proteins in developing human inferior colliculusVikram Sharma
Department of Anatomy, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Chem Neuroanat 37:78-86. 2009..The morphological maturation appeared to overlap the onset of functional maturation suggesting an activity-dependent mechanism in the development of IC...
- Protection of sheep against Rift Valley fever virus and sheep poxvirus with a recombinant capripoxvirus vaccineReuben K Soi
Kenya Agricultural Research Institute, P O Box 57811 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:1842-9. 2010..These findings further document the value of CPV recombinants as ruminant vaccine vectors and support the inclusion of RVFV genes encoding glycoproteins in multivalent recombinant vaccines to be used where RVF occurs...
- [Lesions in cross-breed pregnant cows, experimentally infected with Sarcocystis cruzi (Hasselmann, 1923) Wenyon, 1926 (Apicomplexa: Sarcocytidae)]Carlos Wilson G Lopes
Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Instituto de Veterinaria, Departamento de Parasitologia Animal, BR 465, Km 07, CEP 23890 000, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 14:79-83. 2005..In the aborted fetus, the most prominent gross lesion were excess of fluid in peritoneal and thoracic cavities, and petecheas in ..
- Outcome of the prenatally diagnosed congenital cystic adenomatoid lung malformation: a Canadian experienceJ M Laberge
Department of Surgery, Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Fetal Diagn Ther 16:178-86. 2001..Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung (CCAM) is diagnosed by prenatal ultrasonography with an increasing frequency but controversy persists as to its prognosis and prenatal management...
- Isolation and characterization of a strain of Lichtheimia corymbifera (ex Absidia corymbifera) from a case of bovine abortionChiara Piancastelli
Dipartimento di Salute Animale, Parma University, 43126 Parma, Italy
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7:138. 2009..Serological examinations were performed on fetal and mother's blood. One of the aborted fetus was referred to our laboratory...
- The course and branching pattern of the deep branch of the radial nerve in relation to the supinator muscle in fetus elbowIlkan Tatar
Department of Anatomy, Hacettepe University Medical School, Sihhiye, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Surg Radiol Anat 31:591-6. 2009..This is the first fetal study about the course and branching pattern of the DBRN and there is a constant ratio (mean 4.3) between the measurements of the fetuses and adults...
- Human fetal dopamine neurons grafted in a rat model of Parkinson's disease: ultrastructural evidence for synapse formation using tyrosine hydroxylase immunocytochemistryD J Clarke
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, U K
Exp Brain Res 73:115-26. 1988..The TH-positive dendrites that extended into the host striatum were seen to receive non-TH-immunoreactive synaptic contacts, presumably arising from the host neurons.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Chromosome analysis of blastomeres from human embryos by using comparative genomic hybridizationL Voullaire
The Murdoch Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Hum Genet 106:210-7. 2000....
- The impact of naturally-occurring, trans-placental bluetongue virus serotype-8 infection on reproductive performance in sheepClaude Saegerman
Epidemiology and Risk Analysis Applied to Veterinary Sciences, Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Vet J 187:72-80. 2011..The contribution of in utero-infected lambs to the over-wintering of BTV appears limited...
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: improved surgical results should influence abortion decision makingT Gudbjartsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Landspitali University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
Scand J Surg 97:71-6. 2008..To compare surgical results for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) in two Scandinavian university hospitals and to evaluate the effects of abortions on the clinical profile of CDH in Iceland...
- Relationship between rainfall and Neospora caninum-associated abortion in two dairy herds in a dry environmentF Lopez-Gatius
Department of Animal Production, University of Lleida, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Agraria, Avda Rovira Roure 177, 25198 Lleida, Spain
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 52:147-52. 2005..caninum-infected cows. Attempts should therefore be made to reduce environment effects during the second trimester of gestation, a period in which the immune response of cows is diminished...
- Absence of human bocavirus from deceased fetuses and their mothersAnita Riipinen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41 a A, FIN 00250 Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Virol 47:186-8. 2010..Another human parvovirus, B19, can lead to fetal hydrops, miscarriage and intrauterine fetal death (IUFD)...
- Association of HLA-DQB1 coding region with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortionXi Peng Wang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200001, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 117:492-7. 2004..9] This study was designed to investigate whether URSA were associated with particular DQ alleles or promoter alleles...
- [Canine brucellosis in dogs in the city of Buenos Aires]Eduardo Boeri
Instituto de Zoonosis Luis Pasteur
Medicina (B Aires) 68:291-7. 2008..We conclude that in the areas studied, the detection of serologically positive dogs and the isolation of B. canis in 3 cases are indicators of the health hazard for the population exposed to it...
- Risk of transplacental transmission of Sarcocystis neurona and Neospora hughesi in California horsesPaulo C Duarte
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Parasitol 90:1345-51. 2004..2%. In conclusion, there was no detectable risk of transplacental transmission of S. neurona and N. hughesi. Prevalence of antibodies against both parasites in mares increased with age...
- Adverse response of non-indigenous cattle of European breeds to live attenuated Smithburn Rift Valley fever vaccineBoulos Botros
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
J Med Virol 78:787-91. 2006..Virus was isolated from one aborted fetus. The nucleotide sequence of fetus virus was compared to Smithburn of Onderstepoort, local Smithburn and virus ..
- Clinical gene therapy using recombinant adeno-associated virus vectorsC Mueller
Department of Pediatrics, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Gene Ther 15:858-63. 2008..The explosion of capsid isolates available for use as vectors to over 120 has now provided the potential to broaden the application of AAV-based gene therapy to other cell types...
- Ethical analyses of vaccines grown in human cell strains derived from abortion: arguments and Internet searchRichard Kent Zimmerman
Department of Family Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3518 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Vaccine 22:4238-44. 2004The fact that certain vaccines are grown in cell strains derived decades ago from an aborted fetus is a concern for some. To understand such concerns, a standardized search identified internet sites discussing vaccines and abortion...
- [Changes of MAPK and Akt signaling pathways in hearts and placentas of aborted fetuses with congenital heart disease]Jie Xu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, China
Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 12:327-32. 2010..To study the changes of MAPK and Akt signaling pathways in hearts and placentas of aborted fetuses with congenital heart disease (CHD), and investigate their roles in the pathogenesis of CHD...
- Expression of invariant chain (CD 74) and major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II antigens in the human fetusSunil Badve
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 50:473-82. 2002..Discordance was particularly striking in pulmonary alveolar epithelium and testicular Leydig cells. This suggests that the Ii/CD74 molecule has functional roles in addition to its role in antigen presentation...
- Genomic analysis of two porcine encephalomyocarditis virus strains isolated in ChinaG Q Zhang
Key Laboratory of Preventive Veterinary Medicine of Ministry of Agriculture, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, P R China
Arch Virol 152:1209-13. 2007Two strains of encephalomyocarditis virus (EMCV), designated BJC3 and HB1, were isolated from an aborted fetus and the heart tissue of a dead piglet that had pericardial fluid, respectively...
- Incidence of major congenital malformations in a region of Bosnia and Herzegovina allegedly polluted with depleted uraniumDarinka Sumanović-Glamuzina
Department of Pediatrics, Mostar University Hospital, Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croat Med J 44:579-84. 2003....
- [The revised Japanese pharmaceutical law and research ethics: risk-benefit assessment of fetal stem cell research]Chieko Kurihara
Sato Jitsugyo Ebisu Bldg 4F, 1 11 2 Ebisu, Shibuya ku, Tokyo 150 0013, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 123:91-106. 2003..Conscientious reflection is necessary to reach a public consensus on which types of human material can be utilized as research or pharmaceutical resources...
- Congenital nephrosis, mesangial sclerosis, and distinct eye abnormalities with microcoria: an autosomal recessive syndromeMartin Zenker
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Erlangen, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Am J Med Genet A 130:138-45. 2004..We propose that this syndrome should be designated microcoria-congenital nephrosis syndrome or Pierson syndrome. Possible overlap with Galloway-Mowat syndrome and relations to other oculo-renal syndromes are discussed...
- Expression of the interferon-induced Mx proteins in biliary atresiaAbdul Nasser Al-Masri
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical School Hannover, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 41:1139-43. 2006..Although positive findings of viruses in patients with BA are still inconsistent, the present study retraces the progressive inflammatory process in BA one more step toward its beginning...
- Stem cell research and transplantation: science leading ethicsA S Daar
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transplant Proc 36:2504-6. 2004..Only in this way can we realize the great potential of stem cell research for organ transplantation...
- Prevalence and diversity of Arcobacter spp. isolated from the internal organs of spontaneous porcine abortions in DenmarkStephen L W On
Danish Veterinary Laboratory, Bulowsvej 27, DK 1790 V, Copenhagen, Denmark
Vet Microbiol 85:159-67. 2002....
- Abortion in a horse following Neorickettsia risticii infectionElizabeth A Coffman
University of Tennessee, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Pathobiology, 2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996 4542, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:827-30. 2008..Necropsy on the aborted fetus revealed lymphohistiocytic colitis, lymphadenitis, myocarditis, and hepatitis...
- Cloning Novel Genomic Instability Mutations in ZebrafishJESSICA LYNNE MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2010..By studying genes that cause somatic mutations in this model organism, she hopes to increase our understanding of human embryonic development, birth defects and disease. ..
- TREFOIL FACTOR FAMILY 3 IN NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide novel insights into the development of the intestinal mucosal barrier and unique possible strategies for the early diagnosis and prevention of NEC in premature infants. ..
- Meiotic telemere clustering in fission yeastW Cande; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MOLECULAR GENETIC STUDIES OF RECURRENT PREGNANCY LOSSEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal represents a synergistic collaboration between a laboratory well versed in molecular analysis of inherited traits, and clinicians and epidemiologists with considerable expertise in women's health issues. ..
- Prenatal Depression and a Yoga InterventionTiffany M Field; Fiscal Year: 2010..We would expect that yoga would decrease depression, increase vagal activity, decrease cortisol and increase gestational age (decrease prematurity). ..
- Strategies for prenatal stem cell transplantationAlan W Flake; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal of these studies is to develop safe and effective strategies that can be translated to the in utero treatment of a broad range of human genetic hematologic disorders including Sickle Cell Disease and Thalassemia. ..
- fMRI Predictor Model for Stroke Locomotor RehabilitationBruce Dobkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The study is a step toward using fMRI as a tool to develop theory- and evidencebased practices that lessen disabilities after stroke. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurohormonal Effects of Massage TherapyTiffany Field; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K05 would allow me to increase my research time including being mentored and mentoring students from 25 to 75% time. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pericytes in Pathogenesis of Germinal-Matrix HemorrhagePraveen Ballabh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our data may help in understanding the etiology of GMH and may explain the basis of prenatal glucocorticoid therapy. It may also identify new strategies in the prevention and treatment of GMH. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fetal Biology and Therapy Training ProgramAlan Flake; Fiscal Year: 2008..Penn Graduate School and IHGT. This request is made for 2 Trainee slots in year 1, 3 Trainee slots in year 2, and 4 Trainee slots each year thereafter. ..
- Massaging Preterm Infants Enhances GrowthTiffany Field; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Fetal Stromal Progenitor CellsAlan Flake; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Multidisciplinary Study of Right Ventricular DysplasiaJeffrey Towbin; Fiscal Year: 2005..This integrated research grant proposal offers a substantial prospect of expanding the fund of clinical knowledge regarding ARVD and of localizing the gene(s) responsible for this disorder. ..
- The Role of Filamin in Periventricular HeterotopiasVolney Sheen; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PRENATAL STRATEGIES FOR TREATMENT OF HEMOGLOBINOPATHIESAlan Flake; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DETERMINING/UNDERSTANDING BARRIERS TO ADULT IMMUNIZATIONRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will furnish relevant, up-to-date to enhance policy planning, practice management and medical education. ..