Genomes and Genes
upper gastrointestinal tract
Summary: The segment of GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT that includes the ESOPHAGUS; the STOMACH; and the DUODENUM.
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- T-cell-mediated tumor immune surveillance and expression of B7 co-inhibitory molecules in cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tractBinfeng Lu
Department of Immunology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, E1047 BST, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Immunol Res 50:269-75. 2011..Future tumor vaccine design should combine blockade of B7 inhibitory molecules and enhancement of T-bet and Eomes levels within the tumor microenvironment...
- Role of melatonin in upper gastrointestinal tractS J Konturek
Department of Physiology, Jagiellonian University Medical College, 16 Grzegorzecka Street, Cracow, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 58:23-52. 2007..This review concentrates on the generation and pathophysiological implication of melatonin in upper GIT...
- Endoscopic techniques and management of foreign body ingestion and food bolus impaction in the upper gastrointestinal tract: a retrospective analysis of 139 casesPanagiotis Katsinelos
Department of Endoscopy and Motility Unit, Central Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Ippokration Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:784-9. 2006..Successful foreign body and food bolus removal may depend on the method used, the choice of device, and the experience level of the endoscopist, although few papers report experience and outcome of tertiary centers...
- The role of microRNAs in cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tractShumei Song
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 10:109-18. 2013Cancers of the oesophagus, gastro-oesophageal junction and stomach (upper gastrointestinal tract cancers; UGICs) pose a major health risk around the world...
- Management of non-variceal upper gastrointestinal tract hemorrhage: controversies and areas of uncertaintyEric P Trawick
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, United States
World J Gastroenterol 18:1159-65. 2012b>Upper gastrointestinal tract hemorrhage (UGIH) remains a common presentation requiring urgent evaluation and treatment...
- Adherence to gastroprotection during cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitor treatment and the risk of upper gastrointestinal tract events: a population-based studyVera E Valkhoff
Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 64:2792-802. 2012..We undertook this study to determine the association between GPA adherence and UGI tract events among patients receiving coxibs...
- Fc-epsilon-RI, the high affinity IgE-receptor, is robustly expressed in the upper gastrointestinal tract and modulated by mucosal inflammationChristina Bannert
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 7:e42066. 2012..Currently, a detailed characterization of FcεRI expression throughout the human gut is lacking. The aim of this study was to define the expression pattern of FcεRI in the GI tract...
- Microbial colonization of the upper gastrointestinal tract in patients with Barrett's esophagusSandra Macfarlane
Dundee University Gut Group, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Dundee, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 45:29-38. 2007..The aim of this study was to characterize microbial communities in esophageal aspirate specimens and on distal esophageal mucosal samples from patients with BE...
- An evaluation of endoscopic indications and findings related to nonvariceal upper-GI hemorrhage in a large multicenter consortiumBrintha K Enestvedt
Department of Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97214, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:422-9. 2008..There is limited information about patients with UGIH who are evaluated by endoscopy at nonacademic settings, which comprise the majority of endoscopic practices in the United States...
- Combined preoperative endoscopic and laparoscopic ultrasonography for prediction of R0 resection in upper gastrointestinal tract cancerM B Mortensen
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Centre for Surgical Ultrasound, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Br J Surg 93:720-5. 2006This study evaluated the ability of combined endoscopic and laparoscopic ultrasonography to predict R0 resection and avoid unnecessary surgery in patients with upper gastrointestinal tract cancer (UGIC).
- Comparative study of the effect of luminal hypotonicity on mucosal permeability in rat upper gastrointestinal tractL Pihl
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Physiology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 193:67-78. 2008..To investigate whether the increase in mucosal permeability in the duodenum, induced by luminal hypotonicity, also occurs in the stomach and the jejunum and whether this increase in permeability can be explained by epithelial injury...
- Antimicrobial host defense in the upper gastrointestinal tractYoshio Hosaka
Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Stuttgart, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1151-8. 2008..Herein, we aimed to systematically assess the distribution and quantity of different antimicrobial host factors as well as, for the first time, functional mucosal antimicrobial activity in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Caustic injury of the upper gastrointestinal tract: a comprehensive reviewSandro Contini
Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Parma, 43125 Parma, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 19:3918-30. 2013..Possible late development of esophageal cancer, though probably overemphasized, entails careful and long-term endoscopic screening. ..
- Upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy indications in northern NigeriaA B Olokoba
Department of Medicine, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 19:327-8. 2009b>Upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy is one of the commonly performed endoscopic procedures, and has only recently become available in Nigeria...
- Radiologic assessment of the upper gastrointestinal tract: does it play an important preoperative role in bariatric surgery?Ravi N Sharaf
Division of Gastroenterology and Department of Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Obes Surg 14:313-7. 2004..The role of upper GI series (UGIS) before bariatric surgery is controversial. The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic yield and cost of routine UGIS prior to bariatric surgery...
- Investigation of upper gastrointestinal tract involvement and H. pylori presence in lichen planus: a case-controlled study with endoscopic and histopathological findingsBelcin Izol
University of Uludag, School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Bursa, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 49:1121-6. 2010..Infectious agents including H. pylori and other autoantigens have been investigated in etiology and association with certain gastrointestinal pathologies have been well documented...
- Management of corrosive injuries of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Our experience in 58 patientsU Robustelli
A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
G Chir 32:188-93. 2011..The ingestion of caustic substances is one of the most difficult conditions to be treated in Emergency Department...
- Interaction of Helicobacter pylori infection and low-dose aspirin in the upper gastrointestinal tract: implications for clinical practiceEn Ling Leung Ki
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Institute of Digestive Disease, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, S A R, PR China
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 26:163-72. 2012Low-dose aspirin has been shown to increase the risk of upper gastrointestinal tract injury...
- Clinical outcomes, quality of life, advantages and disadvantages of metal stent placement in the upper gastrointestinal tractPanagiotis Vlavianos
Imperial College Healthcare Trust, London, UK
Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 6:27-32. 2012..Over recent years, indications such as benign disease have expanded, as has SEMS diversity with self-expandable plastic stents (SEPSs) or fully covered and biodegradable stents, for example...
- Medication-induced upper gastrointestinal tract injuryZ Chen
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Clin Pathol 62:113-9. 2009....
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal complications among users of traditional NSAIDs and COXIBs in the general populationLuis A Garcia Rodriguez
Centro Español de Investigación Farmacoepidemiológica CEIFE, Madrid, Spain
Gastroenterology 132:498-506. 2007..Whether use of selective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase-2 (COXIBs) will translate into a clinically relevant reduced toxicity has not been widely investigated in the general population...
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) -173G/C promoter polymorphism influences upper gastrointestinal tract involvement and disease activity in patients with Crohn's diseaseJulia Dambacher
Department of Medicine II Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:71-82. 2007..The aim of the study was to analyze the role of the MIF -173G/C single nucleotide polymorphism in Crohn's disease (CD)...
- Epidemiology of acute upper gastrointestinal bleedingM E van Leerdam
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center s, Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 22:209-24. 2008..H. pylori infection is found in about 50% of peptic ulcer bleeding patients. H. pylori should be tested for in all ulcer patients and eradication should be given...
- Clinical evaluation and management of caustic injury in the upper gastrointestinal tract in 95 adult patients in an urban medical centerGen Tohda
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University, 6C UHC, 4201 St Antoine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Surg Endosc 22:1119-25. 2008..This retrospective study of adult patients with caustic injury presents the endoscopic findings, treatment regimen, and clinical outcome...
- Removal of a foreign body from the upper gastrointestinal tract with a flexible endoscope: a prospective studyD M Chaves
Endoscopy Service, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Endoscopy 36:887-92. 2004..far been no prospective studies on the value of flexible endoscopy for removing foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This study presents a clinical analysis of accidents with foreign bodies and prospectively evaluates ..
- Corrosive injury to upper gastrointestinal tract: Still a major surgical dilemmaSiew Min Keh
The Royal National Nose, Throat and Ear Hospital, London, WC1X 8DA, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 12:5223-8. 2006..In this article, we present our experience of two contrasting cases of corrosive injury to the upper gastrointestinal tract in our thoracic unit in the last 2 years and an up-to-date Medline literature search has been carried ..
- Stenting of the upper gastrointestinal tract: current statusKonstantinos Katsanos
Department of Interventional Radiology, School of Medicine, Patras University Hospital, 26500 Patras, Greece
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 33:690-705. 2010Minimally invasive image-guided insertion of self-expanding metal stents in the upper gastrointestinal tract is the current treatment of choice for palliation of malignant esophageal or gastroduodenal outlet obstructions...
- Study of the physicochemical and biological stability of pediocin PA-1 in the upper gastrointestinal tract conditions using a dynamic in vitro modelE Kheadr
STELA Dairy Research Center, Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Institute, Pavillon des Services, University of Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
J Appl Microbiol 109:54-64. 2010..To investigate the physicochemical and biological stability of purified pediocin PA-1 under GIT conditions...
- Xanthelasmas of the upper gastrointestinal tractRasim Gencosmanoglu
Unit of Surgery, Marmara University Institute of Gastroenterology, Basibuyuk, Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
J Gastroenterol 39:215-9. 2004..Gastric xanthelasma is a benign and uncommon lesion with a variably reported frequency, while esophageal and duodenal xanthelasmas are quite rare...
- Transcatheter arterial embolization of acute upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding with N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylateChung Wei Lee
Department of Medical Imaging, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7, Chung Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:209-16. 2007PURPOSEl: To retrospectively analyze outcomes in patients who received an iodized oil formulation of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate to treat acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding.
- Expression and nuclear localization of Snail, an E-cadherin repressor, in adenocarcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tractErika Rosivatz
Institut fur Pathologie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Trogerstrasse 18, Munchen, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:277-87. 2006..Subsequently, a series of 340 adenocarcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tract, including tumours from the oesophagus (n=154), cardia (n=102) and stomach (n=84), arranged in tissue ..
- Risk scoring systems to predict need for clinical intervention for patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal tract bleedingI Chuan Chen
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Puzih City, Chiayi County 613, Taiwan, ROC
Am J Emerg Med 25:774-9. 2007..Our study aims to compare Blatchford score with clinical Rockall score and complete Rockall score in their utilities in identifying high-risk cases in patients with acute nonvariceal UGIB...
- Survival of Lactobacillus rhamnosus strains in the upper gastrointestinal tractIole Pitino
DOFATA, Dipartimento di Orto Floro Arboricoltura e Tecnologie Agro Alimentari, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:1121-7. 2010..probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus strains were investigated for their ability to survive in the human upper gastrointestinal tract through a dynamic gastric model of digestion...
- Complications of endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract: a single-center experienceHerbert C Wolfsen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 4500 San Pablo Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 79:1264-7. 2004To evaluate prospectively the complications that occurred during consecutive endoscopies of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Expression of taste molecules in the upper gastrointestinal tract in humans with and without type 2 diabetesR L Young
Discipline of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Gut 58:337-46. 2009..These taste molecules are also present in the rodent small intestine, and may regulate gastrointestinal function...
- [Review of 209 cases of foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract and clinical factors for successful endoscopic removal]Jeong Ho Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Chonnam National University College of Medicine, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju si 501 757, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 43:226-33. 2004..The aims of this study were to characterize the clinical features associated with foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract and to determine the clinical factors for their successful removal by endoscopic techniques.
- A randomized, placebo-controlled, 6-month study of once-weekly alendronate oral solution for postmenopausal osteoporosisByron Cryer
Division of Digestive Diseases, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75216, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 3:127-36. 2005..This study evaluated the overall safety and tolerability of once-weekly (OW) alendronate 70 mg oral solution (OS) versus OW placebo OS...
- Surgical therapy for gastrointestinal stromal tumours of the upper gastrointestinal tractAmitabha Das
Department of Surgery, Bankstown Hospital, University of New South Wales, Eldridge Rd, Bankstown, New South Wales, 2200, Australia
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1220-5. 2009This study aimed to examine clinicopathological features and outcomes after primary resection of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST) of the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Endoscopic management of foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract in South China: a retrospective study of 561 casesShenghong Zhang
Division of Gastroenterology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, 510080 Guangzhou, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Dig Dis Sci 55:1305-12. 2010..The aim of this study is to investigate the clinical features of FB ingestion in South China and report its management through endoscopy...
- Assessment of co-existence of Helicobacter pylori and Candida fungi in diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tractE Karczewska
Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology of the Jagiellonian University Medical College, Cracow, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:33-9. 2009..pylori. Analysis of relationship between selected disorders of the upper gastrointestinal tract (non ulcer dyspepsia NUD, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer) and infection with H...
- Safety and efficacy of a new high power argon plasma coagulation system (hp-APC) in lesions of the upper gastrointestinal tractH Manner
Department of Internal Medicine II, HSK Wiesbaden, Ludwig Erhard Strasse 100, 65199 Wiesbaden, Germany
Dig Liver Dis 38:471-8. 2006The aim of this study was to analyze safety and efficacy of a new high power argon plasma coagulation system in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Iron-induced mucosal injury to the upper gastrointestinal tractA Haig
Department of Pathology, London Health Sciences Centre and University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Histopathology 48:808-12. 2006..To define the causes and associations of mucosal iron deposition in upper gastrointestinal biopsy specimens and to describe the morphological features of iron-related injury...
- Iron-induced mucosal pathology of the upper gastrointestinal tract: a common finding in patients on oral iron therapyP Kaye
Department of Cellular Pathology, Nottingham University Hospitals and NHS Trust and University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Histopathology 53:311-7. 2008..Upper gastrointestinal injury from iron tablets at therapeutic dose is not widely recognized. The aim was to document cases of iron-related upper gastrointestinal (GI) pathology and to determine frequency of occurrence...
- Endoscopic ultrasound of the upper gastrointestinal tract and mediastinum: diagnosis and therapyPriyajit Prasad
Digestive Disease Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:947-57. 2006..Emerging investigational techniques include EUS-guided enteric anastomosis formation and fine-needle injection therapy for malignant disease...
- Use of a newly designed multifunctional coil catheter for stent placement in the upper gastrointestinal tractHo Young Song
Departments of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1, Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:369-73. 2004To evaluate the usefulness of a newly designed multifunctional coil catheter for stent placement in patients with upper gastrointestinal tract strictures.
- Outcome of accident and emergency room triaged patients with low risk non-variceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhageF Gleeson
Gastrointestinal Unit, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir Med J 99:114-7. 2006..This highlights the need to initiate change, to monitor resource utilisation and implement early hospital discharge in appropriate patients...
- Management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a district hospitalAbdul M Kasem
Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough Common, United Kingdom
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:355-61. 2006..This study was conducted to assess the management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a district hospital and to compare these results with national guidelines and the published literature...
- Process of care in acute nonvariceal upper-GI hemorrhageGareth S Dulai
Gastrointest Endosc 64:310-2. 2006
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs versus selective COX-2 inhibitors in the upper gastrointestinal tractJurgen Scholmerich
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin I, Klinikum der Universitat Regensburg, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 47:S67-71. 2006..Considering the current controversy regarding cardiovascular events, there is no major reason to prefer coxibs to conventional NSAID plus PPI in patients needing long-term treatment...
- The importance of process issues as predictors of time to endoscopy in patients with acute upper-GI bleeding using the RUGBE dataEduardo B da Silveira
Division of Gastroenterology, McGill University Health Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 64:299-309. 2006..However, there is little information regarding clinical and process determinants that affect the time from onset of bleeding to performance of the endoscopy...
- [Magnifying endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal tract]Sang Ho Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Busan Medical Center, Busan, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 48:145-55. 2006..Futher studies then could be performed based upon consistent, validated, and standardized terminologies and criteria...
- Gastrointestinal endoscopic findings in men with unexplained anemia and low normal ferritin valuesSa A Wang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Hematol 81:324-7. 2006..The diagnostic yield of endoscopy in patients with anemia, no GI symptoms or signs, and low normal ferritin is not known...
- Unmet needs in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced upper gastrointestinal diseasesJames M Scheiman
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Michigan, Alfred Taubman Health Care Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0362, USA
Drugs 66:15-21; discussion 29-33. 2006..This article examines the current issues of understanding and managing NSAID-induced upper gastrointestinal diseases...
- Validation of administrative data used for the diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal events following nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug prescriptionN S Abraham
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Section of Health Services Research, Houston, TX, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:299-306. 2006..To validate veterans affairs (VA) administrative data for the diagnosis of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-related upper gastrointestinal events (UGIE) and to develop a diagnostic algorithm...
- Endoscopic findings in the upper gastrointestinal tract of faecal occult blood-positive, colonoscopy-negative patientsK Hisamuddin
Gastrointestinal and Liver Service, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZN, UK
Dig Liver Dis 38:503-7. 2006..Detection of faecal occult blood is recommended for colorectal cancer screening in average risk populations. However, many subjects do not have any cause found in the colon to account for the occult blood loss...
- Laser therapy and surgical treatment in transfusion-dependent patients with upper-gastrointestinal vascular ectasiaLino Polese
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, First Surgical Clinic, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Lasers Med Sci 21:140-6. 2006....
- Upper GI foreign body: an adult urban emergency hospital experienceW C Conway
Departments of Surgery, Detroit Receiving Hospital and Wayne State University, MI 48201, USA
Surg Endosc 21:455-60. 2007..The efficacy of flexible endoscopy by a single endoscopist in the therapy of foreign body ingestion was assessed at an adult urban emergency hospital...
- Favorable prognosis of upper-gastrointestinal bleeding in 1041 older patients: results of a prospective multicenter studyStéphane Nahon
Centre Hospitalier Montfermei, Montfermeil, France
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:886-92. 2008..Upper-gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB) in the elderly is associated with high morbidity and mortality. The aims of this study were to determine the prognostic factors of UGIB in a large cohort of elders...
- Should every patient with suspected upper GI bleeding receive a proton pump inhibitor while awaiting endoscopy?A N Barkun
Gastrointest Endosc 67:1064-6. 2008
- Does blood urea nitrogen level predict severity and high-risk endoscopic lesions in patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding?Khalid Al-Naamani
Division of Gastroenterology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 22:399-403. 2008..There are little or no data correlating sole blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level with the severity of nonvariceal UGIB or the presence of HRLs in the adult population...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of high-dose omeprazole infusion before endoscopy for patients with upper-GI bleedingKelvin K F Tsoi
Institute of Digestive Disease, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Gastrointest Endosc 67:1056-63. 2008..The use of intravenous (i.v.) proton pump inhibitors (PPI) before an endoscopy in upper-GI bleeding (UGIB) was shown to reduce the need of endoscopic therapy and shorten hospital stay...
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria on treatment of acute nonvariceal gastrointestinal tract bleedingSteven F Millward
University of Western Ontario, London, and Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Radiol 5:550-4. 2008..The choice of colonoscopy, TAI, or surgery for hemodynamically unstable patients with acute LGI bleeding will depend on institutional expertise and whether the site of bleeding has been localized...
- Usefulness of prognostic indices in upper gastrointestinal bleedingRobert James Atkinson
Department of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2JF, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 22:233-42. 2008..However, several indices are used to predict the outcome of advanced liver disease, including Child-Pugh and the Model of End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD). This chapter reviews all these aspects of the various scoring systems...
- Systematic review: tranexamic acid for upper gastrointestinal bleedingL L Gluud
Copenhagen Trial Unit, Centre for Clinical Intervention Research, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:752-8. 2008..Tranexamic acid may reduce upper gastrointestinal bleeding and stabilize patients before endoscopic treatments...
- Systematic reviews of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of proton pump inhibitors in acute upper gastrointestinal bleedingG I Leontiadis
Department of Gastroenterology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Tyne and Wear, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:iii-iv, 1-164. 2007..Also to evaluate the clinical effectiveness of PPI therapy, compared with other treatments, for the prevention of subsequent bleeds in patients who had previously experienced peptic ulcer (PU) bleeding...
- [Long-term monitoring of patients with clinical symptoms of upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding with a negative endoscopy result]E Machytka
Interní klinika FNsP Ostrava Poruba
Vnitr Lek 53:942-6. 2007..results of a long-term monitoring of patients who presented with clinical signs of bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GIT) but totally negative endoscopy results on admission...
- Endoscopic management of duodenal diverticular bleedingYasuhiro Onozato
Center of Gastroenterology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 66:1042-9. 2007..Although the presence of a duodenal diverticulum is usually asymptomatic, bleeding in this tissue is sometimes difficult to diagnose and treat...
- [Foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Personal experience]M Zippi
Struttura Complessa di Gastroenterologia ed Endoscopia Digestiva, Ospedale Sandro Pertini, Roma, Italia
Clin Ter 158:291-5. 2007..The majority of ingested foreign bodies pass spontaneously, but serious complications, such as bowel perforation and obstruction, can occur. In the present work, we report our experience in the management of ingested foreign bodies...
- Adherence to gastroprotection and the risk of NSAID-related upper gastrointestinal ulcers and haemorrhageE M van Soest
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:265-75. 2007..Upper gastrointestinal (UGI) complications are a well-recognized risk of NSAID treatment, requiring preventive measures in high-risk patients. Adherence to gastroprotective agents (GPAs) in NSAID users has been suggested to be suboptimal...
- Nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingChristopher J DiMaio
Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, Columbia University Medical Center, 630 West 168th Street, Box 83, New York, NY 10032, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 17:253-72, v. 2007..Attention also is given to medical management, risk assessment, and issues pertaining to the timing of endoscopy and need for scheduled second-look endoscopy...
- Membrane degradation of covered stents in the upper gastrointestinal tract: frequency and clinical significanceJin Hyoung Kim
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1, Poongnap 2dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:220-4. 2008..To evaluate the frequency, clinical significance, and predictive factors of membrane degradation of covered stents in the upper gastrointestinal (UGI) tract...
- A prospective evaluation of 200 upper endoscopies performed in Alaska Native personsFrank Sacco
Department of Surgery, Alaska Native Medical Center, Anchorage 99508, USA
Int J Circumpolar Health 66:144-52. 2007..To characterize the nature and prevalence of disease in Alaska Native patients referred for evaluation of upper gastrointestinal signs and symptoms...
- Back to basics--clinical diagnosis in bariatric surgery. Routine drains and upper GI series are unnecessaryRamsey M Dallal
Albert Einstein Healthcare Network, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Surg Endosc 21:2268-71. 2007..The routine use of closed suction drains and upper GI (UGI) series has been used to aid in the diagnosis and management of gastrojejunal leak after gastric bypass as well as diagnose intra-abdominal bleeding...
- Endoscopic management of non-variceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhageVu Kwan
Department of Gastroenterology, Concord Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:222-30. 2007..This review addresses the current status of endoscopic intervention for non-variceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage. Additionally, an overview of important periprocedural management issues is presented...
- Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in octogenarians: clinical outcome and factors related to mortalityGeorge J Theocharis
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Vironos 18, Patras 26224, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 14:4047-53. 2008..To evaluate the aetiology, clinical outcome and factors related to mortality of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding (AUGIB) in octogenarians...
- Risk of serious upper gastrointestinal toxicity with over-the-counter nonaspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsJames D Lewis
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Gastroenterology 129:1865-74. 2005..Less is known about over-the-counter (OTC) NANSAIDs, which are typically used at lower doses and for shorter durations. This study assessed the risk of toxicity with OTC NANSAIDs...
- Upper gastrointestinal adverse drug reactions and cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors (celecoxib and rofecoxib): a case/non-case study from the French Pharmacovigilance DatabaseS Lugardon
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, centre Midi Pyrénées de pharmacovigilance, de Pharmacoépidémiologie et d Information sur le Médicament, Unité de Pharmacoépidémiologie, EA 3696, IFR 126, Faculte de Medecine, Toulouse, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 60:673-7. 2004..To evaluate the gastrointestinal safety of cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors under their real conditions of use. DESIGN. Case/non-case study...
- Safety and tolerability of oral daily and intermittent ibandronate are not influenced by ageMark P Ettinger
Radiant Research and Regional Osteoporosis Center of South Florida, 2081 SE Ocean Boulevard, Stuart, FL, USA
J Rheumatol 32:1968-74. 2005..We investigated the effect of age on the safety profile of oral daily and intermittent ibandronate, with particular emphasis on the upper gastrointestinal (GI) safety profile of ibandronate...
- Circulating ghrelin levels in patients with various upper gastrointestinal diseasesHajime Isomoto
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 50:833-8. 2005..Further investigation is warranted to unravel the mechanisms of the high circulating ghrelin levels in certain upper gastrointestinal diseases...
- Prediction of UGIB event in NSAID users: a model developmentMayuree Tangkiatkumjai
Faculty of Pharmacy, Srinakharinwirot University, Nakhonnayok 26120, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:672-7. 2005..Antiulceration drug usage reduced the risk of UGIB in this group of patients. The developed model can be used as a guide for pharmacotherapeutic planning in clinical practices...
- Initial experience with laparoscopic bypass for upper gastrointestinal malignancy: a new option for palliation of patients with advanced upper gastrointestinal tumorsAamir Z Khan
Department of General Surgery, Worthing Hospital, West Sussex, United Kingdom
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 15:374-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the safety and efficacy of laparoscopic bypass in patients with incurable UGI tract malignancy...
- Low utility of endoscopy for suspected upper gastrointestinal bleeding occurring in hospitalized patientsSripathi R Kethu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02903, USA
South Med J 98:170-5. 2005..To determine the clinical utility of upper endoscopy in patients who have upper gastrointestinal bleeding after hospitalization...
- Prospective randomized trial for optimal prophylactic treatment of the upper gastrointestinal complications after open heart surgeryMitsumasa Hata
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 69:331-4. 2005..Upper gastrointestinal bleeding is a lethal complication after open heart surgery. We designed a prospective randomized trial to test the efficacy of different antisecretory agents to prevent upper gastrointestinal disease after operation...
- Outcome of upper gastro-intestinal bleeding and use of ibuprofen versus paracetamolWilliam J Blot
International Epidemiology Institute, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Pharm World Sci 26:319-23. 2004..Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are known to increase the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB). Whether the severity of outcome of UGIB associated with NSAIDs differs from non-NSAID-related UGIB is less clear...
- Endoscopic diagnosis and treatment of upper gastrointestinal tumorsM Polkowski
Dept of Gastroenterology, Medical Center for Postgraduate Education, Institute of Oncology, Roentgena 5, 02 781 Warsaw, Poland
Endoscopy 36:847-54. 2004
- Lower gastrointestinal haemorrhage and superselective angiographic embolizationAdele N Burgess
Department of Surgery, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Prahran, Victoria 3181, Australia
ANZ J Surg 74:635-8. 2004..The outcome of this treatment remains, to some extent, an unknown. The present paper evaluates the Alfred Hospital's experience using superselective transcatheter embolization in the treatment of acute lower gastrointestinal haemorrhage...
- Routine second look endoscopy: ineffective, costly and potentially misleadingJoseph Romagnuolo
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 18:401-4. 2004..Finally, the Forrest classification may provide dangerously misleading estimates of prognosis because it is being used out of context. This review critically analyzes routine second look endoscopy...
- Upper gastrointestinal alarms in older peopleNeeraj Bhala
Lancet 366:982-3. 2005
- [Clinical studies of pediatric malabsorption syndromes]Takashi Hosoyamada
Department of Pediatrics Fukuoka Red Cross Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Fukuoka Igaku Zasshi 97:322-50. 2006..the subject had a lymphedematous right arm and hand, a grossly coarsened mucosal pattern of the upper gastrointestinal tract (identified via radiologic examination) and the presence of lymphangiectasia (confirmed via duodenal ..
- Cysteamine-colon and cysteamine-duodenum lesions in rats. Attenuation by gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157, cimetidine, ranitidine, atropine, omeprazole, sulphasalazine and methylprednisoloneP Sikiric
Department of Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, University of Zagreb, Salata 11, POB 916 Zagreb, Croatia
J Physiol Paris 95:261-70. 2001..the ulcerogenic effect of cysteamine and protective effect of gastroduodenal antiulcer agents outside upper gastrointestinal tract (i.e. in colon). Intrarectal administration of the cysteamine (200 or 400 mg/kg b...
- Are twelve days of omeprazole, amoxicillin and clarithromycin better than six days for treating H. pylori infection in peptic ulcer and in non-ulcer dyspepsia?J P Gisbert
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of La Princesa, Madrid, Spain
Hepatogastroenterology 48:1383-8. 2001....
- Diagnosis and treatment of gastrinoma in the era of proton pump inhibitorsMatthias Banasch
Department of Medicine I, St Josef Hospital, University of Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:573-8. 2007..b>Upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy will provide evidence for peptic ulcer disease in anatomical regions located aborally the ..
- [Use of sucrose permeability test (SaLM) for detection of lesions of upper gastrointestinal tract mucosa in upper dyspepsia patients--a pilot study]Norbert Cibicek
Univerzita Karlova v Praze, Lekarska fakulta v Hradci Kralove
Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) Suppl 47:23-8. 2004..So far there has been no available non-invasive test in the Czech Republic capable of distinguishing between heavy (i.e. peptic ulcer) and light (i.e. portal gastropathy) lesions of upper gastrointestinal mucosa...
- [Diagnostic role of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in pediatric inflammatory bowel diseases]Tomasz Pytrus
Akademia Medyczna we Wrocławiu, II Katedra i Klinika Pediatrii, Gastroenterologii i Zywienia
Pol Merkur Lekarski 25:460-4. 2008To evaluate the frequency and type of endoscopic and histopathological changes in upper gastrointestinal tract in children with inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Prevalence of celiac disease, Helicobacter pylori and gastroesophageal reflux in patients with refractory iron deficiency anemiaSoheir B Fayed
Department of Pediatrics, Al Azhar, Cairo University and National Research Center, Cairo, Egypt
J Trop Pediatr 54:43-53. 2008..The aim of this article is to determine the prevalence of celiac disease (CD), Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) and gastroesophageal reflux (GER) in patients with resistant iron deficiency anemia (IDA)...
- Microsporidia in the small intestine of HIV-infected patients. A new diagnostic technique and a new speciesA S Field
St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW
Med J Aust 158:390-4. 1993..To determine whether microsporidian infections occur in Australian patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), to assess the incidence, and to discuss microscopic detection methods...
- Anthocyanins from red wine--their stability under simulated gastrointestinal digestionG J McDougall
Quality, Health and Nutrition Programme, Genes to Products Theme, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA, UK
Phytochemistry 66:2540-8. 2005..assessed using an in vitro digestion system that simulated the physiochemical changes that occur in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Anthocyanins in red wine were stable to gastric conditions whereas there was a small loss in total ..
- [A case of the esophageal candidiasis supposedly caused by rhinenchysis steroid chronic administration before sleep]Hiroshi Shuto
Kenshinkai Medical Corporation Ekibiru Clinic of Sengendai Station
Arerugi 56:714-20. 2007..dysphagia in the time of deglutition; pharyngitis and esophageal candidiasis were found by endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract.The interview after the endoscopy revealed that the patient, a 69-year-old female was diagnosed as ..
- Colonic catabolism of ellagitannins, ellagic acid, and raspberry anthocyanins: in vivo and in vitro studiesRocío González-Barrio
Joseph Black Building, Centre for Population and Health Sciences, School of Medicine, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Drug Metab Dispos 39:1680-8. 2011..After ingestion of raspberries by humans, trace levels of anthocyanins, absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal tract, are excreted in urine in amounts corresponding to <0.1% of intake...
- Importance of extensive staging in patients with mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT)-type lymphomaM Raderer
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Vienna, Austria
Br J Cancer 83:454-7. 2000..examination, otolaryngologic investigation, gastroscopy with multiple biopsies, endosonography of the upper gastrointestinal tract, enteroclysis, colonoscopy, computed tomography of thorax and abdomen and bone marrow biopsy...
- [Acute hemorrhage of the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract--survey of emergency endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract at our facility]J Golánová
Interni klinika 2 lékarské fakulty UK a FN Motol, Praha
Vnitr Lek 50:274-7. 2004Acute upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding is a cause of significant morbidity and mortality and is a reason for urgent endoscopy...
- OPTICAL BIOPSY USING OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHYJames G Fujimoto; Fiscal Year: 2012..If successful, the proposed research will develop and demonstrate new imaging technology which will augment gastrointestinal endoscopy and open the door for improved detection of a wide range of neoplasias. ..
- A Novel Colon-specific Bi-functional Amebicidal Therapeutics: Gal-Dextran-MMJeoung Soo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is focused on development of a novel colon-specific bi-functional amebicidal therapeutic, Galactose-Dextran-Metronidazole (Gal-Dextran-MM) prodrug, for treatment of amebiasis. ..
- Oral Immunobiology of MCMV-infected Mouse Salivary GlandsSteven D London; Fiscal Year: 2010..plays an important role in host defense and is a major contributor of the innate host defense of the upper gastrointestinal tract. In addition, the salivary glands are a major component in the mucosal immune system of the oral cavity ..
- Biomarkers of Interoceptive Awareness in Adolescent Anorexia NervosaNANCY L contact ZUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Fhit modulation of cell cycle progression and DNA damage responseKay Huebner; Fiscal Year: 2010..cycle, DDR and apoptosis associated proteins in early oral and upper gastrointestinal tract lesions of Fhit-deficient mice before and after FHIT replacement by AdenoFHIT oral gene therapy...
- Ca2+ and secretory dynamics in salivary acinar cellsDavid I Yule; Fiscal Year: 2013..begins nutrient digestion and imparts antimicrobial and mechanical protection for the mouth and upper gastrointestinal tract. Reduced flow of saliva results in "dry mouth" (xerostomia) and greatly impacts the quality of life of ..
- Assessing feeding practices, immune activation, and HIV risk in African infantsHEATHER BERYL JASPAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..of non-breast milk liquids and solids alters the infant's mucosal or immunologic barriers of the upper gastrointestinal tract. This could lead to immune cell activation with an increase HIV target cells at the mucosa, or ..
- PHARMACOKINETICS AND PHARMACOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL AFTER BARIATRIC SURGERYMarta Yanina Pepino; Fiscal Year: 2013..responses to alcohol that occur as a result of the anatomical and physiological changes caused by upper gastrointestinal tract diversion might be an important mechanism responsible for the association between gastric bypass ..
- Oral microbial enzymes for the treatment of celiac diseaseEVA JOSEPHINE HELMERHORST; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current application seeks to identify novel gluten-degrading enzymes expressed by resident microbes of the human upper gastrointestinal tract for their exploitation in the treatment of celiac disease.
- UPPER GI TRACT MEDIATION OF THE SATIETY EFFECT OF FATSDanielle Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 1992..Those fat stimuli that are most effective for inducing satiety and those mechanisms that are found to mediate the satiety response in Sprague Dawley rats will be subsequently tested in identical paradigms in lean and obese Zucker rats...
- [Ca2+]i and Secretory Dynamics in Parotid Acinar CellsDavid Yule; Fiscal Year: 2007..begins nutrient digestion and imparts antimicrobial and mechanical protection for the mouth and upper gastrointestinal tract. Reduced flow of saliva (xerostomia) greatly impact the quality of life of suffers...
- ORPHANIN FQ (OFQ) EFFECTS ON RAT COLONIC MOTILITYToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2003..This may have important clinical implications since OFQ or its analogues may be beneficial for the treatment of refractory constipation in humans. ..
- UPPER GI TRACT MEDIATION OF THE SATIETY EFFECTS OF FATSJames Gibbs; Fiscal Year: 1999..The studies with the genetic models may provide a link between recent molecular biological advances and also provide potential pharmacological targets for new treatments of obesity and of the binge eating that occurs in bulimia. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTS OF UPPER GASTROINTESTINAL MOTILITYA Hillemeier; Fiscal Year: 1990..examine the age related changes in mechanical properties and neurohumoral modulation of motility in the upper gastrointestinal tract. It will define the effect of developmental changes in shape, size, and geometry on the ability of the ..
- Apical CI/OH-/HCO3-exchanger in kidney and GI tractManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2007..functional and molecular properties of PAT1 and apical CI-/HCO3- exchange in kidney proximal tubule and upper gastrointestinal tract in physiologic states and examination of PAT1 deficient mice should significantly enhance our ..
- EPITHELIAL RENEWAL IN PEPTIC AND NEOPLASTIC DISORDERSGREGORY EASTWOOD; Fiscal Year: 1980Changes in epithelial renewal may be important in the pathogenesis of mucosal disease of the upper gastrointestinal tract. We have shown in rats that aspirin ingestion over four weeks stimulates epithelial proliferation in the stomach, ..
- Gastrointestinal Response to Injury: Canada 2007Marshall Montrose; Fiscal Year: 2007..of gastrointestinal mucosal defense in the colon and entire small intestine as well as the upper gastrointestinal tract. This format, as well as the location, enhanced the success of the series...
- GI Response to Injury: Canada 2004Sheila Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2004..were applicable to investigation of gastrointestinal mucosal defense in the intestine as well as the upper gastrointestinal tract. The proposed meeting, "Gastrointestinal Response to Injury: Canada 2004", addresses important and ..
- Novel Optical Probe for Oral and Dental Tissue ScreeningRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADVANCED MULTISPECTRAL IMAGING FOR MEDICAL DIAGNOSTICSTuan Vo Dinh; Fiscal Year: 2005..of real-time in vivo identification and characterization of malignant and pre-malignant tissues in the upper gastrointestinal tract. While presence of Barrett's mucosa is simple to detect endoscopically, at the present time dysplasia ..
- Brainstem nAChR Subtypes & Their Effect on GI FunctionRICHARD GILLIS; Fiscal Year: 2006..These and future data obtained from pursuing our Specific Aims will extend current understanding of the different receptor mediated effects of nicotine on parasympathetic nervous system control of the upper GI tract. ..
- STABLE DERIVATIVES OF FECAPENTAENELUKE LAM; Fiscal Year: 1993..solve this problem by designing derivatives of fecapentaenes that will survive the environment of the upper gastrointestinal tract and allow the parent compounds to be released in the colon...
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Endoscopic Therapy of Early Cancer in Barretts EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diagnostic and therapeutic techniques developed in this study can be applied to other gastrointestinal tumors. ..
- METHYLATION PROFILING AND RISK OF COLORECTAL CANCERHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will help in the detection and _rofiling of genetic changes in the pathway of CRC in AA. ..
- Immune Regulation by Gadd45b and Gadd45gBinfeng Lu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Relevance: This study will lead to the development of novel strategies targeting these molecules to treat or prevent autoimmune diseases. This study will also reveal new disease markers for autoimmune diseases. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATIC FIBROSIS AND PORTAL HYPERTENSIONDon C Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have direct relevance to human liver disease and will lead to new approaches for the treatment of hepatic fibrosis and portal hypertension as well as other forms of fibrosing injury. ..
- Assessment of Infant Outcomes After in Utero Exposure to Antiretroviral TherapySonia Hernandez diaz; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to evaluate the risk of congenital malformations and other adverse pregnancy outcomes following antenatal exposure to ART in a prospective cohort of pregnant women. ..
- THE SINGAPORE COHORT STUDY OF DIET AND CANCERJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Non-Homeostatic Neural Controls of Food IntakeHans Rudolf Berthoud; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Biomarkers in Phototherapy of Barrett's EsophagusKenneth K Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide an improved understanding regarding the response of Barrett's esophagus to ablation therapy. ..
- Imageable Mouse Models of Pancreatic CancerMichael Bouvet; Fiscal Year: 2008..Using such dual-colored imaging techniques, a better characterization of the tumor-host interactions in pancreatic cancer can be made. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Nitric Oxide and the LiverDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2003..The dates of the entire AASLD scientific meeting are November 3rd to November 5th. The participants will be invited speakers and attendees of the annual 2002 AASLD meeting. ..
- A NOVEL TECHNIQUE FOR SCREENING BARRETT'S ESOSPHAGUSKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2003..signal from the "optical biopsy" which would distinguish normal and abnormal tissue in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Three proposed probe designs will be evaluated initially in the resected porcine esophagus and stomach ..
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE VAGAL-ENTERIC INTERFACEHans Rudolf Berthoud; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- RANK/NF-KappaB signaling in chondrogenesisBRENDAN BOYCE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Mechanisms of Growth Inhibition by Helicobacter PylorHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will help to establish how bacteria can increase apoptosis possibly through generation of ROS and in specific circumstances this may alter one's risk of developing cancer. ..
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will study whether acupuncture shortens the period of postoperative ileus in rats. This study would provide beneficial information for patients with gastroparesis and postoperative ileus. ..
- Randomized Trial of Rosiglitazone for Ulcerative ColitisJames Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..If our hypothesis is correct, this study will serve to establish that ligands for PPARg possess biological activity necessary to modulate the inflammatory response in the intact human colon. ..
- In Vivo Raman Spectroscopy of Barrett's EsophagusLouis Michel Wong Kee Song; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Colon Barrier Breakdown in the ElderlyJames Mullin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Changes in membrane composition/fluidity are known to affect paracellular permeability in general, and tight junction proteins specifically. ..
- DIETARY FACTORS IN THE ETIOLOGY OF CANCER IN SHANGHAIJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..In all instances of diet-cancer investigations, relevant genes with potential modifying effects on the respective diet-cancer associations will be included in the investigations. ..
- Association of PPAR gamma ligands & colonic neoplasiaJames Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our results will allow us to translate the existing in vitro and in vivo observations to the intact human colon and could lead to further chemoprevention strategies. ..
- Mammalian Lactoferrin Receptors: Structure and FunctionBo Lonnerdal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overall, our understanding of the physiological significance of Lf and its receptor will be increased. ..
- Regulation of the MAP kinase pathway in the CD4+ T cellsBinfeng Lu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 2. Study the role of GADD45 protein in mediating the activation of the p38/JNK MAP kinase pathway by cytokines. Aim 3. Study the effect of mutation of GADD45gamma, GADD45beta, or MEKK4 in murine collagen induced arthritis. ..
- 2007 Bones and Teeth Gordon Research ConferenceBRENDAN BOYCE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Stellate Cell ContractilityDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2008..Physiologic endpoints will be an important focus. The proposed studies will shed light on the molecular basis of stellate cell contractility and moreover have direct relevance to human liver disease. ..
- Dietary Factors in the Etiology of Colorectal CancerJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2008..The potential modifying effects of HAA activating genes and tea polyphenols on the HAA-colorectal cancer association will be explored. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Method of Surveillance in Barrett's EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is an innovative method by which a physician can diagnose hidden areas of cancer within patients who are at a high risk of developing esophageal cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PROSPECTIVE COMPARISON OF COLONIC IMAGING TESTDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2001..The information gained from this study is expected to form the basis for national policy and decision making with reward to colonic imaging tests. ..