Genomes and Genes
Summary: Specialized phagocytic cells of the RETICULOENDOTHELIAL SYSTEM found on the luminal surface of the hepatic sinusoids. They filter bacteria and small foreign proteins out of the blood, and dispose of worn out red blood cells.
Publications318 found, 100 shown here
- Hepatocytes enhance effects of lipopolysaccharide on liver nonparenchymal cells through close cell interactionsMelanie J Scott
Department of Surgery Laboratories, Montefiore University Hospital, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Shock 23:453-8. 2005..requiring cell-to-cell interactions between hepatocytes and liver nonparenchymal cells (NPC), in particular, Kupffer cells. Previous studies show that cytokines produced by Kupffer cells stimulated with LPS can, in turn, activate ..
- Basal activity of Kupffer cells increases with old ageSarah N Hilmer
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing and ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney and Concord Hospital, Concord, New South Wales, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:973-8. 2007..We compared numbers of Kupffer cells in the hepatic sinusoids and phagocytic function of Kupffer cells in isolated perfused livers of young, middle-..
- Liver Kupffer cells rapidly remove red blood cell-derived vesicles from the circulation by scavenger receptorsFrans L A Willekens
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Blood 105:2141-5. 2005..After 30 minutes, Kupffer cells contained considerable amounts of hemoglobin and were shown to be responsible for 92% of the liver uptake...
- Interleukin-17 signaling in inflammatory, Kupffer cells, and hepatic stellate cells exacerbates liver fibrosis in miceFanli Meng
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, California, USA
Gastroenterology 143:765-76.e1-3. 2012..Interleukin (IL)-17 signaling has been implicated in lung and skin fibrosis. We examined the role of IL-17 signaling in the pathogenesis of liver fibrosis in mice...
- Characterization of two F4/80-positive Kupffer cell subsets by their function and phenotype in miceManabu Kinoshita
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, National Defense Medical College, 3 2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359 8513, Japan
J Hepatol 53:903-10. 2010Liver Kupffer cells have been suggested to be heterogeneous macrophage lineage cells. We explored this possibility by classifying the mouse Kupffer cells into subpopulations and characterizing them by their phenotype and function.
- Internalization of modified lipids by CD36 and SR-A leads to hepatic inflammation and lysosomal cholesterol storage in Kupffer cellsVeerle Bieghs
Department of Molecular Genetics, Electron Microscopy Unit of Molecular Cell Biology, and Pathology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research NUTRIM Institute of Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e34378. 2012..We hypothesize that CD36 and MSR1 contribute independently to the onset of inflammation in NASH, by affecting intracellular cholesterol distribution inside Kupffer cells (KCs).
- Toxic lipids stored by Kupffer cells correlates with their pro-inflammatory phenotype at an early stage of steatohepatitisAnne Leroux
INSERM U996, Clamart F 92140, France
J Hepatol 57:141-9. 2012..As macrophages may be involved in the lymphocyte homing, we studied the role of lipids in determining the phenotype of Kupffer cells (KCs) at the stage of steatosis.
- An intravascular immune response to Borrelia burgdorferi involves Kupffer cells and iNKT cellsWoo Yong Lee
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nat Immunol 11:295-302. 2010..Immobilized Kupffer cells with highly ramified extended processes into multiple sinusoids could effectively capture blood-borne, ..
- Kupffer cells promote hepatic steatosis via interleukin-1beta-dependent suppression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha activityRinke Stienstra
Nutrigenomics Consortium, TI Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Hepatology 51:511-22. 2010b>Kupffer cells have been implicated in the pathogenesis of various liver diseases. However, their involvement in metabolic disorders of the liver, including fatty liver disease, remains unclear...
- Role of hepatic STAT3 in brain-insulin action on hepatic glucose productionHiroshi Inoue
Department of Clinical Molecular Medicine, Division of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Cell Metab 3:267-75. 2006..These results thus indicate that IL-6-STAT3 signaling in the liver contributes to insulin action in the brain, leading to the suppression of hepatic glucose production...
- Regulation of macrophage activation in alcoholic liver diseaseVarsha Thakur
Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4906, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:S53-6. 2007Chronic ethanol feeding sensitizes Kupffer cells to activation by lipopolysaccharide (LPS), leading to increased production of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFalpha)...
- Role of the Kupffer cell in mediating hepatic toxicity and carcinogenesisRuth A Roberts
AstraZeneca, Safety Assessment Alderley Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4TG United Kingdom
Toxicol Sci 96:2-15. 2007b>Kupffer cells are resident macrophages of the liver and play an important role in its normal physiology and homeostasis as well as participating in the acute and chronic responses of the liver to toxic compounds...
- Kupffer cell heterogeneity: functional properties of bone marrow derived and sessile hepatic macrophagesIngo Klein
David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY, USA
Blood 110:4077-85. 2007b>Kupffer cells form a large intravascular macrophage bed in the liver sinusoids...
- Kupffer cells in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: the emerging viewGYORGY BAFFY
Brigham and Women s Hospital and VA Boston Healthcare System, Harvard Medical School, Section of Gastroenterology, 150 S Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Hepatol 51:212-23. 2009..of adipose tissue and liver pertains to the emerging role of macrophages and evidence is growing that Kupffer cells critically contribute to progression of NAFLD...
- Protective role of Kupffer cells in acetaminophen-induced hepatic injury in miceCynthia Ju
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology Section, Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 15:1504-13. 2002..has been attributed, in part, to the production of proinflammatory cytokines and other mediators by resident Kupffer cells within the liver...
- Role of Kupffer cells in the pathogenesis of liver diseaseGeorge Kolios
World J Gastroenterol 12:7413-20. 2006b>Kupffer cells, the resident liver macrophages have long been considered as mostly scavenger cells responsible for removing particulate material from the portal circulation...
- Antitumor immunity produced by the liver Kupffer cells, NK cells, NKT cells, and CD8 CD122 T cellsShuhji Seki
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Clin Dev Immunol 2011:868345. 2011Mouse and human livers contain innate immune leukocytes, NK cells, NKT cells, and macrophage-lineage Kupffer cells. Various bacterial components, including Toll-like receptor (TLR) ligands and an NKT cell ligand (α-galactocylceramide), ..
- Tissue granuloma structure-function in experimental visceral leishmaniasisH W Murray
Department of Medicine, Weill College of Cornell University, New York 10021, USA
Int J Exp Pathol 82:249-67. 2001..active, inflammatory structures are assembled around a core of fused, parasitized resident macrophages (Kupffer cells) which come to be encircled by both cytokine-secreting T cells and influxing leishmanicidal blood monocytes...
- Carbon monoxide induces hypothermia tolerance in Kupffer cells and attenuates liver ischemia/reperfusion injury in ratsLung Yi Lee
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Liver Transpl 17:1457-66. 2011..b>Kupffer cells (KCs) play important roles in I/R injury; however, little is known about their changes during cold ..
- Heat shock response inhibits NF-kappaB activation and cytokine production in murine Kupffer cellsDongxu Sun
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Science, Beijing, PR China
J Surg Res 129:114-21. 2005b>Kupffer cells play a crucial role in the pathogenesis of sepsis through production of proinflammatory mediators and control of systemic endotoxemia. The anti-inflammatory effects of heat shock response (HSP) have been well documented...
- Leishmania donovani-induced expression of signal regulatory protein alpha on Kupffer cells enhances hepatic invariant NKT-cell activationLynette Beattie
Centre for Immunology and Infection, Hull York Medical School and Department of Biology, University of York, York, UK
Eur J Immunol 40:117-23. 2010..However, we found that SIRPalpha was rapidly induced on Kupffer cells following L. donovani infection, via a mechanism involving G-protein-coupled receptors...
- Regulation of hepatic connexins in cholestasis: possible involvement of Kupffer cells and inflammatory mediatorsHernan E Gonzalez
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 282:G991-G1001. 2002..necrosis factor-alpha and interleukins-1beta and -6, whereas reduction induced by LPS required coculture with Kupffer cells. Thus hepatocyte gap junctions are downregulated in forms of cholestasis associated with inflammation, and ..
- Alpha-galactosylceramide-induced liver injury in mice is mediated by TNF-alpha but independent of Kupffer cellsMarkus Biburger
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Immunol 175:1540-50. 2005..Whereas intrahepatic Kupffer cells are known as a pivotal source for TNF-alpha in Con A-induced hepatitis, they were nonessential for alpha-..
- The immunologic outcome of enhanced function of mouse liver lymphocytes and Kupffer cells by high-fat and high-cholesterol dietSatoshi Shono
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, National Defense Medical College and Division of Traumatology, National Defense Medical College Research Institute, Tokorozawa, Japan
Shock 36:484-93. 2011Dietary lipids/cholesterol may modulate liver immune function. We have recently found that mouse F4/80 Kupffer cells are classified into phagocytic CD68 Kupffer cells and cytokine-producing CD11b Kupffer cells...
- Reciprocal activation between CD4+ T cells and Kupffer cells during hepatic ischemia-reperfusionMarc Hanschen
Institute for Surgical Research, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Transplantation 86:710-8. 2008..We hypothesized that Kupffer cells activate CD4+ T-cells in the postischemic liver, by the release of free oxygen radicals and cytokines.
- HCV-related proteins activate Kupffer cells isolated from human liver tissuesNaohiro Hosomura
First Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, 1110 Shimokato, Chuo, Yamanashi, 409 3898, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 56:1057-64. 2011It was reported from this laboratory that Kupffer cells (KCs) were activated in patients infected with HCV...
- Role of Kupffer cells in host defense and liver diseaseManfred Bilzer
Department of Medicine II, University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Liver Int 26:1175-86. 2006b>Kupffer cells (KC) constitute 80-90% of the tissue macrophages present in the body...
- Expression and function of the bile acid receptor TGR5 in Kupffer cellsVerena Keitel
Clinic for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 372:78-84. 2008b>Kupffer cells are resident macrophages in the liver and play a central role in the hepatic response to injury. Bile acids can impair macrophage function leading to decreased cytokine release...
- IL-10, regulatory T cells, and Kupffer cells mediate tolerance in concanavalin A-induced liver injury in miceAnnette Erhardt
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University ofErlangen Nuremberg, Fahrstrasse 17, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Hepatology 45:475-85. 2007..Cell depletion studies revealed T(reg)S and Kupffer cells (KC) to be crucial for IL-10 expression in ConA tolerance...
- NKG2D-retinoic acid early inducible-1 recognition between natural killer cells and Kupffer cells in a novel murine natural killer cell-dependent fulminant hepatitisXin Hou
Institute of Immunology, Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China
Hepatology 49:940-9. 2009..to establish a novel murine fulminant hepatitis model: results showed that predepletion of either NK cells or Kupffer cells could completely abolish the liver injury...
- The anti-inflammatory effects of adiponectin are mediated via a heme oxygenase-1-dependent pathway in rat Kupffer cellsPalash Mandal
Department of Pathobiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Hepatology 51:1420-9. 2010..Chronic ethanol feeding increases the sensitivity of Kupffer cells, the resident hepatic macrophage, to lipopolysaccharide (LPS), leading to increased tumor necrosis factor ..
- Distinct development and functions of resident and recruited liver Kupffer cells/macrophagesMasami Ikarashi
1 National Defense Medical College, 3 2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama, 359 8513 Japan
J Leukoc Biol 94:1325-36. 2013Although mouse liver F4/80(+) Kupffer cells consist of cytokine-producing CD11b(+) cells and phagocytic CD68(+) cells, an undefined CD11b(-) CD68(-) subset (30%) also exists...
- Protection from liver fibrosis by a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor δ agonistKeiko Iwaisako
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E1369-76. 2012....
- A quantitative assay for measuring clearance of adenovirus vectors by Kupffer cellsJeffrey S Smith
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol Methods 147:54-60. 2008b>Kupffer cells are a major barrier to systemic adenovirus (Ad) gene therapy because they rapidly and efficiently clear virions from the circulation...
- Kupffer cells influence parenchymal invasion and phenotypic orientation, but not the proliferation, of liver progenitor cells in a murine model of liver injuryNoémi Van Hul
Laboratory of Hepato Gastroenterology, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Universite Catholique de Louvain UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Pathol 179:1839-50. 2011..Because Kupffer cells (KC) are active modulators of tissue response and fibrosis, we analyzed their role in a model of LPC ..
- Nonalcoholic steatosis and steatohepatitis IV. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease abnormalities in macrophage function and cytokinesAnna Mae Diehl
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 282:G1-5. 2002..e., Kupffer cells (KC)] are involved in the pathogenesis of many kinds of liver disease...
- Diet induced regulation of genes involved in cholesterol metabolism in rat liver parenchymal and Kupffer cellsMenno Hoekstra
Division of Biopharmaceutics, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 42:400-7. 2005..In the present study, the effect of an atherogenic diet enriched in cholesterol and cholic acid on cellular hepatic cholesterol metabolism was studied...
- Hepatic cholesterol crystals and crown-like structures distinguish NASH from simple steatosisGeorge N Ioannou
Research Enhancement Award Program and Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
J Lipid Res 54:1326-34. 2013..Activated Kupffer cells aggregated around dead hepatocytes that included strongly birefringent cholesterol crystals, forming "crown-..
- Caspase-1-mediated regulation of fibrogenesis in diet-induced steatohepatitisLaura J Dixon
Department of Molecular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Lab Invest 92:713-23. 2012..The conclusion of this study is that it uncovers a novel role for caspase-1 in inflammation and fibrosis during NASH development...
- Lipopolysaccharides in liver injury: molecular mechanisms of Kupffer cell activationGrace L Su
Medical Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283:G256-65. 2002..Within the liver, Kupffer cells are major sources of proinflammatory cytokines that are produced in response to lipopolysaccharides...
- Activation of toll-like receptor 3 attenuates alcoholic liver injury by stimulating Kupffer cells and stellate cells to produce interleukin-10 in miceJin Seok Byun
Laboratory of Liver Research, Graduate School of Medical Science and Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
J Hepatol 58:342-9. 2013The important function of toll-like receptor (TLR) 4 in Kupffer cells and hepatic stellate cells (HSCs) has been well documented in alcoholic liver injury. However, little is known about the role of TLR3...
- Isolation of rat Kupffer cells: a combined methodology for highly purified primary culturesV Valatas
Liver Research Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, P O Box 1393, Heraklion, GR 71409 Crete, Greece
Cell Biol Int 27:67-73. 2003We report a four-step procedure that optimizes the methodology for isolation of highly purified rat Kupffer cells (KC)...
- IL-6 produced by Kupffer cells induces STAT protein activation in hepatocytes early during the course of systemic listerial infectionsS H Gregory
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15213, USA
J Immunol 160:6056-61. 1998b>Kupffer cells were the principal source of IL-6 produced in the livers of mice following i.v. inoculation of Listeria monocytogenes...
- Kupffer cells hasten resolution of liver immunopathology in mouse models of viral hepatitisGiovanni Sitia
Division of Immunology, Transplantation and Infectious Diseases, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002061. 2011b>Kupffer cells (KCs) are widely considered important contributors to liver injury during viral hepatitis due to their pro-inflammatory activity...
- Oxidative-stress and IL-6 mediate the fibrogenic effects of [corrected] Kupffer cells on stellate cellsNatalia Nieto
Department of Medicine, Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hepatology 44:1487-501. 2006The impact of Kupffer cells (KCs) on the hepatic stellate cell (HSC) fibrogenic response was examined in an in vitro coculture model of primary KCs and HSCs...
- Viral and host factors induce macrophage activation and loss of toll-like receptor tolerance in chronic HCV infectionAngela Dolganiuc
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Gastroenterology 133:1627-36. 2007..Persistent inflammation contributes to progression of liver damage in chronic HCV (cHCV) infection. Repeated exposure to toll-like receptor (TLR) ligands results in tolerance, a protective mechanism aimed at limiting inflammation...
- Reactive oxygen species mediate human hepatocyte injury during hypoxia/reoxygenationRicky Harminder Bhogal
Centre for Liver Research, Institute for Biomedical Research, Medical School, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Liver Transpl 16:1303-13. 2010..Much work has been focused on Kupffer cells or liver resident macrophages with respect to the generation of ROS during IRI...
- Role of scavenger receptor A and CD36 in diet-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in hyperlipidemic miceVeerle Bieghs
Department of Molecular Genetics, Pathology and Physiology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research and Cardiovascular Research Institutes of Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 138:2477-86, 2486.e1-3. 2010..We propose a mechanism by which Kupffer cells (KCs) take up modified cholesterol-rich lipoproteins via scavenger receptors (SRs)...
- Mechanism of T cell tolerance induction by murine hepatic Kupffer cellsQiang You
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Hepatology 48:978-90. 2008The liver is known to favor the induction of immunological tolerance rather than immunity. Although Kupffer cells (KC) have been indicated to play a role in liver tolerance to allografts and soluble antigens, the mechanisms involved ..
- The involvement of Kupffer cells in carbon tetrachloride toxicityM J Edwards
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7365
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 119:275-9. 1993..One possibility is that Kupffer cells participant in this mechanism since CCl4 elevates calcium, and the release of toxic eicosanoids and cytokines ..
- Differentiation and function of Kupffer cellsMakoto Naito
Department of Cellular Function, Division of Cellular and Molecular Pathology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 Asahimachi dori, 951 8510, Niigata, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 37:16-28. 2004b>Kupffer cells are the largest population of tissue macrophages. They are predominantly distributed in the lumen of hepatic sinusoids and exhibit endocytic activity against blood-borne materials entering the liver...
- TLR-dependent cross talk between human Kupffer cells and NK cellsZhengkun Tu
Department of Surgery, Division of Solid Organ Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Exp Med 205:233-44. 2008..Innate responses involving liver macrophages (Kupffer cells) and effector liver natural killer (NK) cells form the first line in this defense...
- Tissue macrophages suppress viral replication and prevent severe immunopathology in an interferon-I-dependent manner in micePhilipp A Lang
Institute of Experimental Immunology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Hepatology 52:25-32. 2010..We used the lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus model system to analyze the role of tissue macrophages/Kupffer cells in this process...
- The role of Kupffer cell oxidant production in early ethanol-induced liver diseaseM D Wheeler
Laboratory of Hepatobiology and Toxicology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7365, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 31:1544-9. 2001Considerable evidence for a role of Kupffer cells in alcoholic liver disease has accumulated and they have recently been shown to be a predominant source of free radicals...
- Kupffer cell-dependent hepatitis occurs during influenza infectionNoelle K Polakos
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626, Rochester, NY 14642 8609, USA
Am J Pathol 168:1169-78; quiz 1404-5. 2006..to the formation of inflammatory foci that include apoptotic hepatocytes, antigen-specific CD8(+) T cells, and Kupffer cells. Serum aminotransaminase levels were elevated, and both the histological and serum enzyme markers of hepatitis ..
- IKKbeta couples hepatocyte death to cytokine-driven compensatory proliferation that promotes chemical hepatocarcinogenesisShin Maeda
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Signal Transduction, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive MC 0723, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Cell 121:977-90. 2005..hepatocarcinogenesis was also found in mice lacking IKKbeta in both hepatocytes and hematopoietic-derived Kupffer cells. These mice exhibited reduced hepatocyte regeneration and diminished induction of hepatomitogens, which were ..
- Kupffer cells are associated with apoptosis, inflammation and fibrotic effects in hepatic fibrosis in ratsCheng Liu
Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Lab Invest 90:1805-16. 2010..In this study, we examined the apoptosis and activation of Kupffer cells (KCs) as well as their pathophysiological involvement in liver fibrosis process...
- Kupffer cell sensitization by alcohol involves increased permeability to gut-derived endotoxinN Enomoto
Department of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25:51S-4S. 2001..Studies with gut sterilization and Kupffer cell inactivation support the hypothesis that endotoxin and Kupffer cells are involved in mechanisms of alcohol-induced liver injury...
- High-mobility group box-1 induces proinflammatory cytokines production of Kupffer cells through TLRs-dependent signaling pathway after burn injuryXu Lin Chen
Department of Burns, The First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Hefei, Anhui, PR China
PLoS ONE 7:e50668. 2012b>Kupffer cells (KCs) were a significant source of cytokine release during the early stage of severe burns. High mobility group box protein 1 (HMGB1) was recently identified as a new type of proinflammatory cytokine...
- Effective delivery of chemotherapeutic nanoparticles by depleting host Kupffer cellsYusuke Ohara
Department of Surgery, Clinical Sciences, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Int J Cancer 131:2402-10. 2012..to more effectively deliver therapeutic nanoparticles to target regions in vivo, host RES, especially Kupffer cells in the liver, have been depleted ahead of drug administration...
- Alcohol-induced modulation of signaling pathways in liver parenchymal and nonparenchymal cells: implications for immunityBharath Nath
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
Semin Liver Dis 29:166-77. 2009..Chronic ethanol renders Kupffer cells hyperresponsive to endotoxin, which results in production of inflammatory cytokines and the tumor necrosis ..
- Immunohistochemical analyses of the kinetics and distribution of macrophages, hepatic stellate cells and bile duct epithelia in the developing rat liverH M Golbar
Laboratory of Veterinary Pathology, Division of Veterinary Science, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, 1 58, Rinku Ourai Kita, Izumisano City, Osaka 598 8531, Japan
Exp Toxicol Pathol 64:1-8. 2012Non-parenchymal cells in the liver consist mainly of Kupffer cells, hepatic stellate (HS) cells and cholangiocytes...
- Adiponectin and heme oxygenase-1 suppress TLR4/MyD88-independent signaling in rat Kupffer cells and in mice after chronic ethanol exposurePalash Mandal
Department of Pathobiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Immunol 185:4928-37. 2010..ethanol feeding, LPS-stimulated expression of IFN-β and CXCL10 mRNA was increased in primary cultures of Kupffer cells compared with pair-fed control mice...
- Plasmodium yoelii sporozoites modulate cytokine profile and induce apoptosis in murine Kupffer cellsChristian Klotz
Department of Medical Parasitology, New York University School of Medicine, 341 E 25 Street, New York, NY 10010, USA
Int J Parasitol 38:1639-50. 2008Plasmodium sporozoites traverse Kupffer cells on their way into the liver...
- Superoxide produced by Kupffer cells is an essential effector in concanavalin A-induced hepatitis in miceHiroyuki Nakashima
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Hepatology 48:1979-88. 2008..In the current study, we investigated the roles of Kupffer cells, NKT cells, FasL, tumor necrosis factor (TNF), and superoxide in Con-A hepatitis in C57BL/6 mice...
- The phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase B signaling pathway is activated by lipoteichoic acid and plays a role in Kupffer cell production of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and IL-10Maria K Dahle
Institute for Surgical Research, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Infect Immun 72:5704-11. 2004..cell wall component lipoteichoic acid (LTA) stimulates the release of the proinflammatory cytokines in Kupffer cells in culture...
- Secretion of inflammatory mediators by isolated rat Kupffer cells: the effect of octreotideVassilis Valatas
Gastroenterology Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, P O Box 2208, Heraklion, GR 71409, Greece
Regul Pept 120:215-25. 2004..We studied the production of inflammatory mediators by rat KC and the possible in vitro effect of the somatostatin analogue octreotide...
- Targeting dexamethasone to Kupffer cells: effects on liver inflammation and fibrosis in ratsB N Melgert
Groningen University Institute for Drug Exploration GUIDE, Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Delivery, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Hepatology 34:719-28. 2001b>Kupffer cells (KC) play an important role in the pathogenesis of inflammatory liver diseases leading to fibrosis. Anti-inflammatory drugs are only effective when administered at high doses that may cause side effects...
- Modeling inflammation-drug interactions in vitro: a rat Kupffer cell-hepatocyte coculture systemFrancis F Tukov
Center for Integrative Toxicology CIT, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Toxicol In Vitro 20:1488-99. 2006..Furthermore, data from these studies qualitatively mirror reported data from whole animal studies, suggesting that this model could be useful for predicting aspects of xenobiotic-inflammation interactions in vivo...
- Hepatic regulatory T cells and Kupffer cells are crucial mediators of systemic T cell tolerance to antigens targeting murine liverEkaterina Breous
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Hepatology 50:612-21. 2009..In addition, Kupffer cells (KCs), normally thought to initiate immune responses, are rendered tolerogenic in this context...
- Gene expression profiles during hepatic stellate cell activation in culture and in vivoSamuele De Minicis
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Gastroenterology 132:1937-46. 2007..In this study, we determine gene expression changes in 3 different models of HSC activation and investigate whether HSC culture activation reproduces gene expression changes of HSC in vivo activation...
- Malaria sporozoites actively enter and pass through rat Kupffer cells prior to hepatocyte invasionG Pradel
Department of Medical and Molecular Parasitology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10010, USA
Hepatology 33:1154-65. 2001..To determine the sinusoidal cell type sporozoites use for extravasation, endothelia or Kupffer cells, we quantified sporozoite adhesion to and invasion of sinusoidal cells isolated from rat liver...
- Murine Kupffer cells are protective in total hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury with bowel congestion through IL-10Justin D Ellett
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Immunol 184:5849-58. 2010b>Kupffer cells (KCs) are thought to mediate hepatocyte injury via their production of proinflammatory cytokines and reactive oxygen species in response to stress...
- The hepatic vagus nerve attenuates Fas-induced apoptosis in the mouse liver via alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorTetsuya Hiramoto
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Gastroenterology 134:2122-31. 2008..We investigated the effect of the vagus nerve by using a selective hepatic vagotomy...
- Reactive oxygen intermediates and eicosanoid production by kupffer cells and infiltrated macrophages in acute and chronic liver injury induced in rats by CCl4L Alric
Laboratoire UPRES EA 2405 Macrophages, Mediateurs de l Inflammation et Interactions Cellulaires, Hopital Rangueil, 31054 Toulouse, France
Inflamm Res 49:700-7. 2000..the present study was to characterize during acute and chronic liver injury induced by CCl4, macrophage phenotypes and whether a change in reactive oxygen intermediates (ROI) and eicosanoids production by Kupffer cells (KC) was observed.
- Caspase 9-dependent killing of hepatic stellate cells by activated Kupffer cellsRichard Fischer
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology, Medizinische Einrichtungen der Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
Gastroenterology 123:845-61. 2002..Hepatic stellate cells play an important role in liver fibrogenesis, and hepatic stellate cell death may be involved in the termination of this response...
- Modifications of adenovirus hexon allow for either hepatocyte detargeting or targeting with potential evasion from Kupffer cellsJan Michael Prill
Department of Gene Therapy, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Mol Ther 19:83-92. 2011..Kupffer cell scavenging while delivery to peripheral tissues or tumors could be improved if both scavenging by Kupffer cells and uptake by hepatocytes were blocked...
- Protective effects of asiatic acid against D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatotoxicity in hepatocytes and kupffer cells co-cultured system via redox-regulated leukotriene C4 synthase expression pathwayKuifen Ma
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Biochemical Pharmaceutics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Eur J Pharmacol 603:98-107. 2009..mechanism in the D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide (D-GalN/LPS)-induced hepatotoxicity in hepatocytes and kupffer cells co-cultured system...
- FasL expression in hepatic antigen-presenting cells and phagocytosis of apoptotic T cells by FasL+ Kupffer cells are indicators of rejection activity in human liver allograftsAya Miyagawa-Hayashino
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Am J Pathol 171:1499-508. 2007..We found increased expression of FasL on Kupffer cells (KCs) and endothelium in acute cellular rejection (n = 20) and to lesser extent in chronic rejection (n = 6) ..
- A new approach to isolation and culture of human Kupffer cellsEdward B Alabraba
Liver Research Group, 5th Floor IBR, The University of Birmingham Medical School, Wolfson Drive, Edgbaston, Birmingham B152TT, UK
J Immunol Methods 326:139-44. 2007Macrophages are a diverse population of cells that are able to adapt to specific tissue environments. Kupffer cells are liver resident macrophages and form the largest population of fixed tissue macrophages...
- Kinetics of mitogen-activated protein kinase family in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated mouse Kupffer cells and their role in cytokine productionJian Xin Jiang
Research Institute of Surgery, Daping Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Shock 18:336-41. 2002..kinase (JNK), and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated Kupffer cells (KC) simultaneously at the levels of protein expression, phosphorylation, and kinase activity, respectively, ..
- Mechanism of superoxide anion production by hepatic sinusoidal endothelial cells and Kupffer cells during short-term ethanol perfusion in the ratTadashi Hasegawa
First Department of Surgery, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Liver 22:321-9. 2002..The aim of this study was to clarify the candidate cells for and the mechanism of superoxide anion (O2*-) release into the hepatic sinusoids during short-term exposure to ethanol...
- Effect of high fat diet on the volume of liver and quantitative feature of Kupffer cells in the female rat: a stereological and ultrastructural studyIlhami Kiki
Department of Internal Medicine, Ataturk University School of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
Obes Surg 17:1381-8. 2007The role of Kupffer cells (KCs) in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) which is regarded as a major cause of cryptogenic cirrhosis of the liver was investigated using stereological methods and electron microscopy in the rat model...
- 17Beta-estradiol downregulates Kupffer cell TLR4-dependent p38 MAPK pathway and normalizes inflammatory cytokine production following trauma-hemorrhageYa Ching Hsieh
Center for Surgical Research and Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Mol Immunol 44:2165-72. 2007....
- Kupffer cells are responsible for liver cirrhosis induced by carbon tetrachloridePablo Muriel
Sección de Farmacología, Cinvestav I P N, Apdo Postal 14 740, Mexico 07000, D F, Mexico
J Appl Toxicol 23:103-8. 2003Inhibition of Kupffer cells could disrupt the sequence of events leading to organ injury by damping down the fibrogenic stimulus...
- Redox regulation of cytokine expression in Kupffer cellsHidekazu Tsukamoto
USC UCLA Research Center for Alcoholic Liver and Pancreatic Diseases, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 4:741-8. 2002b>Kupffer cells, resident macrophages in the liver, play a central role in the homeostatic response to liver injury. Ironically, this defensive mechanism, if dysregulated, also works against the liver in acute and chronic liver damage...
- Ex vivo induced regulatory T cells regulate inflammatory response of Kupffer cells by TGF-beta and attenuate liver ischemia reperfusion injuryMin Feng
Department of Liver Transplantation, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Int Immunopharmacol 12:189-96. 2012..TNF-α expression, promoted transcription of interleukin-10 (IL-10), and elevated phosphorylation of SMAD3 in Kupffer cells (KCs). Furthermore, inhibition of TGF-β signaling by anti-TGF-β abolished the effects on KCs...
- Glycyrrhizin prevents liver injury by inhibition of high-mobility group box 1 production by Kupffer cells after ischemia-reperfusion in ratsMasahito Ogiku
First Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Yamanashi, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 339:93-8. 2011..study was to investigate the effect of glycyrrhizin on liver injury caused by I/R and production of HMGB1 by Kupffer cells in rats...
- Inhibition of Kupffer cells reduced CXC chemokine production and liver injuryB Mosher
Department of Surgery, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1315, USA
J Surg Res 99:201-10. 2001BACKGROUND: Cytokine production is a critical component of ischemia/reperfusion (IR) injury. In the liver, Kupffer cells produce cytokines and chemokines (i.e...
- Gadolinium chloride pretreatment prevents cadmium chloride-induced liver damage in both wild-type and MT-null miceEric B Harstad
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, 66160 7140
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 180:178-85. 2002The heavy metal cadmium (Cd) causes hepatotoxicity upon acute administration. Kupffer cells, the resident macrophages of the liver, have been suggested to play a role in Cd-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Liver Kupffer cells control the magnitude of the inflammatory response in the injured brain and spinal cordSandra J Campbell
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3QT, UK
Neuropharmacology 55:780-7. 2008..cell populations in the liver during the hepatic response to acute brain injury, we selectively depleted Kupffer cells (KC), using clodronate-filled liposomes, and assessed the inflammatory response following a microinjection of ..
- Kupffer cell depletion reduces hepatic inflammation and apoptosis but decreases survival in abdominal sepsisTobias Traeger
Department of Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1039-49. 2010During abdominal sepsis, the activation of hepatic Kupffer cells (KC) and its consequences are of central interest...
- Scavenger receptors on liver Kupffer cells mediate the in vivo uptake of oxidatively damaged red blood cells in miceV Terpstra
Division of Biopharmaceutics, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, University of Leiden, Sylvius Laboratories, Leiden, The Netherlands
Blood 95:2157-63. 2000..The main site of uptake of damaged red cells was the liver Kupffer cells, which contained 24% of the injected dose at 10 minutes after injection...
- Autonomic regulation of liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in miceOsamu Ikeda
Department of Surgery, Advanced Biomedical Applications, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
J Surg Res 152:218-23. 2009..However, how the parasympathetic vagus nerve is involved in liver regeneration remains obscure. Kupffer cells are located in liver sinusoids adjacent to hepatocytes and might regulate liver regeneration by releasing ..
- Mannosylated liposomes for targeted gene deliveryFansheng Kong
Department of Hematology, General Hospital of Ji nan Command, PLA, Ji Nan, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 7:1079-89. 2012..The aim of this study was to modify liposomes with a novel mannosylated polyethylene glycol-phosphatidylethanolamine (M-PEG-PE) ligand to achieve active targeted gene delivery...
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating the hepatic erythropoietin expression during acute-phase response: a role for IL-6Pierluigi Ramadori
Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology, Center of Internal Medicine, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Lab Invest 90:1306-24. 2010..the main regulator of EPO gene expression and a major contributor for HIF-1alpha induction in hepatocytes and Kupffer cells during acute-phase response...
- A novel isolation method for macrophage-like cells from mixed primary cultures of adult rat liver cellsHiroshi Kitani
Transgenic Animal Research Center, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ohwashi 1 2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
J Immunol Methods 360:47-55. 2010..repeatedly from a T75 culture flask at two to three day intervals for more than two weeks, our procedure might implicate a novel alternative to obtain Kupffer cells in sufficient number and purity without complex equipment and skills.
- Novel mechanism of C-reactive protein for enhancing mouse liver innate immunityAkihito Inatsu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, National Defense Medical College Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Hepatology 49:2044-54. 2009..Using C57BL/6 mice, the present study investigated how CRP affects the functions of liver macrophages, Kupffer cells, and natural killer / natural killer T (NK/NKT) cells under various conditions, including Escherichia coli ..
- Src family kinases regulate p38 MAPK-mediated IL-6 production in Kupffer cells following hypoxiaBjörn M Thobe
Center for Surgical Research, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Volker Hall G094, 1670 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35294 0019, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 291:C476-82. 2006..Although hypoxia is known to upregulate Kupffer cells (KC) to release cytokines, the precise mechanism of release remains unknown...
- The role of Kupffer cells and TNF-alpha in monocrotaline and bacterial lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injurySteven B Yee
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center and Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 71:124-32. 2003..Accordingly, the role of inflammatory factors, such as Kupffer cells and TNF-alpha, in the development of MCT/LPS-induced liver injury was investigated...
- Cell-surface arylsulfatase A and B on sinusoidal endothelial cells, hepatocytes, and Kupffer cells in mammalian liversKeiko Mitsunaga-Nakatsubo
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 42:63-9. 2009..and ARSB exist on the cell surface of sinusoidal endothelial cells, hepatocytes, and sinusoidal macrophages (Kupffer cells), as well as in the lysosome. They are also colocalized with heparan sulfate proteoglycan...
- Role of Mitochondria in the Regulation of Iron metabolism by AlcoholDUYGU DEE DEE HARRISON-FINDIK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Multiple pathways play a role in alcohol-induced oxidative stress, including activation of Kupffer cells, CYP2E1 enzyme and changes to mitochondrial function...
- Mechanisms of Neutrophil-induced Liver ToxicityHARTMUT W JAESCHKE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Resident macrophages (Kupffer cells) and recruited neutrophils are the main cell types directly responsible for parenchymal cell damage...
- Effect of HIV protease inhibitor on alcohol induced ER stress and liver injury.Cheng Ji; Fiscal Year: 2013..transporters in hepatocytes administered HIV PIs;(4) to isolate non-parenchymal cells (hepatic stellate cells, Kupffer cells, and endothelial cells) and differentiate HIV PI- or alcohol-induced ER stress response in these cell types;(5)..
- Metabolic Crosstalk Between Immune Cells and the Liver in ObesityBENJAMIN MANTELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will investigate the effects of liver macrophages (Kupffer cells) and dendritic cells on hepatocyte lipid metabolism and insulin action and determine the mechanisms of these ..
- Double Humanization of Liver and Blood in MiceELIZABETH MARIE WILSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, the liver macrophages (Kupffer cells) are important players in liver toxicology...
- Cyclic AMP, Cytokine Modulation and Alcoholic Liver DiseaseCraig J McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..preliminary data that cAMP is decreased in a macrophage cell line chronically cultured in alcohol, and in Kupffer cells from mice chronically fed ethanol intragastrically...
- IMMUNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMORRHAGEIrshad H Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2010..compartmentalized response in males;splenic and peritoneal MO (SMO, PMO) cytokine release is decreased, while Kupffer cells (KC) and alveolar MO cytokine release is markedly increased...
- Coronavirus modulation of cellular microRNAs in the liver: role in hepatitisSonia Navas-Martin; Fiscal Year: 2012..and identified cellular targets in the liver (hepatocytes, endothelial cells, and the resident macrophage Kupffer cells)...
- The Organ Specific Role of Superoxide Dismutase in SepsisAlix Ashare; Fiscal Year: 2010..In sepsis, bacterial clearance is primarily achieved by Kupffer cells, the resident macrophages of the liver...
- TNF and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in ALDCraig J McClain; Fiscal Year: 2010..released by numerous cell types such as monocytes, macrophages, andof particular relevance to liver disease, Kupffer cells and hepatocytes...
- Translational Research and Evolving Alcoholic hepatitis Treatment (TREAT-IU)David W Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2013..alcohol-induced impairment of signaling via bile salt receptors impairs gut integrity, permits activation of Kupffer cells, enhances oxidative stress in the liver, stimulates fatty liver, and sensitizes hepatocytes to cytokine-..
- Role of Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein (MCP)-1 in Liver RegenerationKRISTEN ANDREA MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..MCP-1 is a small, secreted protein in the family of C-C chemokines. In the liver, Kupffer cells, hepatic stellate cells, and sinusoidal endothelial cells produce MCP-1, which functions through autocrine and ..
- Mechanism of murine coronavirus induced hepatitisSusan R Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2010..different levels of hepatitis to test the hypothesis that liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (LSEC) and/or Kupffer cells restrict entry and/or replication in the liver of non-hepatotropic strains...
- Age Effects on Liver Inflammation and InjuryAlex B Lentsch; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, activation of NF-kB in Kupffer cells appears to drive the inflammatory response, while NF-kB activation in hepatocytes appears to function in a ..
- Pathogenesis of murine coronavirus induced hepatitisSusan R Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2011..for the induction of hepatitis;we will test the hypothesis that liver sinusoidal endothelial cells and/or Kupffer cells restrict entry and/or replication in the liver parenchyma and characterize the cytokine/chemokine environment ..
- ETHANOL REGULATION OF KUPFFER CELL SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONLaura E Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Kupffer cells, the resident macrophages in the liver, are critical to the onset of ethanol-induced liver injury...
- Synergistic actions by multiple Toll-like receptors in alcoholic liver diseaseEkihiro Seki; Fiscal Year: 2013..Increased endotoxin via the portal vein stimulates Kupffer cells through Toll-like receptor (TLR) 4, a receptor for LPS, which promotes hepatic inflammation resulting in ..
- ENTEROHEPATIC LIPID FLUX AND APOPROTEIN BIOSYNTHESISNICHOLAS DAVIDSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..growth phenotype is associated with attenuated hepatic IL-6 mRNA induction and decreased IL-6 secretion from Kupffer cells. Despite an attenuated IL-6 response to DEN administration, Acf mice demonstrate a paradoxically increased ..
- Mechanisms of Liver FailureChandrashekhar R Gandhi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although mediators produced in the hepatic microenvironment by Kupffer cells and infiltrating leukocytes have been postulated to cause liver failure, hepatic stellate cells (HSCs), which ..
- TLR4 Signaling in alcoholic liver diseaseGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2013..by: a) exploring interactions between TLR4 signaling and NADPH oxidase components in the liver and in isolated Kupffer cells;b) investigating the interaction between NF-kB and IRF signaling pathways using an inhibitor of IKK? (NEMO ..
- Hepatic drug metabolism in inflammationRomi Ghose; Fiscal Year: 2009..Inflammatory responses in the liver are mediated by Toll-like receptors (TLRs) present on Kupffer cells (KCs) which recognize microbial components and endogenous ligands from damaged or stressed cells...
- Liver innate immunity in drug-induced liver disease.Zhang Xu Liu; Fiscal Year: 2012..goal of this proposal is to further elucidate the activation modes of NK/NKT cells and its interplay with Kupffer cells, and the molecular and cellular mechanisms of cytotoxicity against mouse hepatocytes as they pertain to APAP ..
- HO1 AND TLR4 IN LIVER ISCHEMIA/REPERFUSION INJURY IN TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTSJerzy W Kupiec-Weglinski; Fiscal Year: 2013..IRF-3 pathway;(ii) CXCL10 regulates liver innate immune responses;(iii) Type-I IFN mediates synergy between Kupffer cells and hepatocytes, and (iv) endogenous TLR ligands are crucial in TLR4 activation-induced "sensoring" and IRI...
- Modulation of liver cancer by PPARbeta/deltaJeffrey M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2013..the hypothesis that PPAR/ attenuates tumor promotion by epigenetic modulation of inflammatory signaling in Kupffer cells. This will be examined by analysis of transgenic mice expressing a DNA binding domain mutant form of PPAR/ ..
- LPS binding to TLR4 regulates hepatic stellate cell activation and fibrosisEkihiro Seki; Fiscal Year: 2013..Gut microflora-derived LPS entering into the portal circulation directly activates HSCs through TLR4, but not Kupffer cells. Activation of the LPS/TLR4 pathway enhances signaling by TGF-2, the most potent fibrogenic agonist, by ..
- Role of heat shock protein 90 in alcoholic liver diseasePranoti Mandrekar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary studies show that chronic alcohol feeding in mice increases hsp90 and gp96 in isolated Kupffer cells (KCs), compared to pair-fed controls...
- ETHANOL REGULATION OF KUPFFER CELL SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONLaura Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2009Project Summary Ethanol disrupts hepatic function with the eventual appearance of alcoholic liver disease. Kupffer cells, the resident macrophages in the liver, are critical to the onset of ethanol-induced liver injury...
- MFG-E8 and progression of alcohol-induced tissue injuryXiao Di Tan; Fiscal Year: 2012..mechanism through which metabolites of ethanol and LPS modulate MFG-E8 gene expression in macrophages/Kupffer cells. The standard approach for analysis of the gene expression and promoter function will be applied...
- Effect of Chronic Alcohol on Liver APC and Ag-Specific T-CellsKATHERINE BREMPELIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the liver environment, multiple populations of APCs, such as the Kupffer cells, liver sinusoidal endothelial cells, and hepatic stellate cells, are capable of antigen presentation to CD4+ ..
- Antagonism of Alpha2A-Adrenoceptor: A Novel Anti-Sepsis TherapyXiaoling Qiang; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, excessive production of proinflammatory cytokines may cause further tissue injury. Macrophages/Kupffer cells play important roles in producing proinflammatory cytokines in sepsis...
- Carbohydrate-mediated platelet clearanceKARIN MARIA HOFFMEISTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..have shown that platelets with impaired Siaa2-3Galb1-4GlcNAc (LacNAc) structures are removed in the liver by Kupffer cells and hepatocytes...
- Alcohol-altered CEA processing: Role in liver metastases in colorectal cancerPeter Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..known is that circulating CEA is removed primarily by the liver, where it binds to the CEA receptor (CEAR) on Kupffer cells (KCs)...
- Effect of PPAR?? Ligands on Alcohol-Induced Alveolar Macrophage DysfunctionSamantha M Yeligar; Fiscal Year: 2011..rosiglitazone, have been found to reduce chronic alcohol-induced hepatic steatosis and inflammation involving Kupffer cells. The studies outlined in this proposal will determine whether PPARg ligand treatment can upregulate PPARg to ..
- Control of Viral Pathogenesis by Regulation of 2-5A LevelsSusan R Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our Specific Aims are: (1) To determine if RNase L signaling in liver macrophages (Kupffer cells, KC) restricts virus from entering the liver parenchyma and inducing hepatitis, we will compare MHV ..
- NcoA5, a unique nuclear receptor coactivator in hepatocarcinogenesisHua Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2012..mouse model;and 2) Determine the molecular mechanism by which Ncoa5 exerts its effect on Kupffer cells and hepatocytes...
- CXCL10/CXCR3 Signaling Regulates TLR4-Mediated Liver Inflamation and InjuryYuan Zhai; Fiscal Year: 2013..IRI is dependent on the activation of local pro-inflammatory immune response mediated by liver macrophages;Kupffer cells (KCs) and the innate immune receptor TLR4...
- FUNCTION OF THE HEMOCHROMATOSIS PROTEINCAROLINE ENNS; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the early stages of the disease, Kupffer cells in the liver and enterocytes in the intestine cells are iron depleted and have low intracellular ferritin ..
- Inhibition of Liver Macrophage activation in SIV infected macaquesDonald L Sodora; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, Kupffer cells are liver macrophages that will be the first to encounter any bacterial products that traverse the gut mucosa (..
- Role of Dab2 in Fatty Liver DiseaseNorbert Leitinger; Fiscal Year: 2013..Immunoregulation and inflammation are controlled by infiltrating myeloid cells and resident macrophages (Kupffer cells), which regulate activation status of T- cells, NKT cells, NK cells and hepatocytes, all of which are critical ..
- Kupffer Cells in Liver ImmunopathologyIan Nicholas Crispe; Fiscal Year: 2010..of antigen-specific CD8+ T cells in the liver indicate that this bystander hepatitis requires the presence of Kupffer cells (KCs)...
- Redox Mechanisms of Ischemia Reperfusion Injury in the LiverJohn F Engelhardt; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathway in hepatocytes acts to amplify pro-inflammatory TNF[unreadable] signaling through Kupffer cells. In addition, we have found that TNF[unreadable] stimulation of NF[unreadable]B also requires the formation of ..
- Leptin Action and MacrophagesROBERT M O'DOHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2013..data, we present evidence that many of these effects are mediated by specialized liver macrophages (Kupffer cells)...
- Heme oxygenase-1 and alcoholic liver diseaseLaura E Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Kupffer cells, the resident macrophages in the liver, are particularly critical to the onset of ethanol-induced liver injury,..
- Liver Antigen - Presenting Cells in Hepatic Injury and TransplantationAngus W Thomson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim I: will identify the signaling pathways and role of liver APC (DCs, Kupffer cells and stellate cells) in regulation of hepatic IRF-1 expression;Aim II: will elucidate the mechanisms of hepatic ..
- Role of the Gut Microbiota and TLR4 in Alcoholic HepatocarcinogenesisRobert F Schwabe; Fiscal Year: 2013..alcoholic HCC will be determined in bone marrow-chimeric mice and mice with conditional deletion of TLR4 in Kupffer cells, hepatocytes or hepatic stellate cells (AIM 3)...
- Role of Bone Marrow-Derived Myeloid Cells in Alcohol Liver DiseaseCynthia Ju; Fiscal Year: 2013..macrophages (Macs) play an important role;however research to date has not distinguished resident Macs, Kupffer cells (KCs), from infiltrating bone marrow-derived myeloid cells (BMMCs), which replenish KCs during pathological ..
- Protective Role of Carbon Monoxide in Hepatic I/R InjuryNoriko Murase; Fiscal Year: 2010..AIM II: TO IDENTIFY THE MECHANISMS OF CO-MEDIATED PROTECTION OF LIVER GRAFTS. We will determine Kupffer cells as CO's direct target for antiproinflammatory function...
- Alcohol, ROS, and Macrophage EpigeneticsJay K Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preliminary data in macrophage cell lines as well as Kupffer cells has identified that chronic EtOH trough a redox dependent epigenetic mechanism augments TNF transcription in ..
- Investigation of the role of DAMP molecules in the pathogenesis of Liver InjuryBRITTANY V MURPHY; Fiscal Year: 2012..contribute to the progression of liver injury through pro-inflammatory activation of hepatic macrophages (Kupffer cells, KC)...
- Transplantation of Endothelial CellsSanjeev Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., mononuclear cells, including Kupffer cells, as well as mesenchymal stromal cells derived from bone marrow with ability to express FVIII in lower levels...
- Effect of ethanol on Kupffer cell/hepatocyte interactions and lipid metabolismSuthat Liangpunsakul; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ethanol can induce endotoxemia. Lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a component of endotoxin, can stimulate Kupffer cells (KC), to produce cytokines...
- Determinants of Plasmodium liver invasionMarcelo Jacobs-Lorena; Fiscal Year: 2012..Two cell types line the sinusoids: endothelial cells and specialized macrophages, termed Kupffer cells. It is known that to reach the hepatocytes, sporozoites invade Kupffer cells, not endothelial cells, ..
- Kupffer cell activation and hepatic injury after ethanol and burnMichael M Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Within the liver, Kupffer cells are a source of IL-6 production and function to orchestrate hepatic responses to products in the blood, ..
- Toll-Like Receptor Signaling in Hepatic FibrogenesisRobert F Schwabe; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, potential endogenous TLR ligands such HMGB1 and hyaluronan, are upregulated in the injured liver. Kupffer cells (KCs) and HSCs are both highly responsive to TLR ligands rendering them the most likely candidates to mediate ..
- NON-PARENCHYMAL LIVER CELL COREHidekazu Tsukamoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..performing 2,304 isolations of rat and mouse hepatic stellate cells (HSC), sinusoidal endothelial cells (SEC), Kupffer cells (KC), and hepatocytes...
- The Role of Gut Bacteria in Kupffer Cell Development and FunctionNatasha Corbitt; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Kupffer Cells (KC), liver macrophages, have reported involvement in liver tolerance...
- Role of the Liver in Microbial Translocation and AIDS PathogenesisAndrew A Lackner; Fiscal Year: 2012..infection, clearance of microbial products by the liver, and more specifically by hepatic phagocytes, the kupffer cells, prevents most microbial products that enter the portal circulation from accessing the systemic circulation...
- Micro-RNA's in Alcoholic Liver DiseaseGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2013..LPS) contributes to alcoholic liver disease via induction of pro-inflammatory cytokines induction in Kupffer cells. Micro-RNA-155 (miR-155), small non-coding RNA molecule, is important in regulation of inflammation...
- Novel Therapies in alcoholic hepatitis - UMMS Translational ProgramGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2013..of alcohol on hepatocytes, increased intestinal permeability and activation of the innate immune system (Kupffer cells) by gut-derived LPS are major factors in AH leading to over-activation of the pro-inflammatory cascade...
- HIV, Kupffer Cells, and HCV-related Liver FibrosisAshwin Balagopal; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are preliminary data that show that HIV infects Kupffer cells, the largest reservoir of resident tissue macrophages in the body...
- Complement and ethanol-induced liver injury.Laura E Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2010..during chronic EtOH exposure and 4) Determine the effects of chronic EtOH feeding on the response of Kupffer cells and hepatocytes to activation by C3a and C5a...
- Hepatitis C viral sensing by non-parenchymal liver cells (NPC)HUGO RAMON ROSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to study how plasmacytoid dendritic cells, Kupffer cells and liver sinusoidal endothelial cells sense HCV infection...
- ALCOHOL AND LIVER ENDOTHELIAL CELLS IN IMMUNE RESPONSESGeoffrey Thiele; Fiscal Year: 1999..While Kupffer cells and Ito cells have been studied fairly extensively, little is known about the role of LEC in alcohol liver ..
- ALTERED METHIONINE METABOLISM IN ALCOHOLIC LIVER INJURYShelly Lu; Fiscal Year: 2005..MAT), the key enzyme that catabolizes methionine to form S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM) in both whole liver and Kupffer cells. In the liver, this was associated with decreased SAM level and global DNA hypomethylation...
- LIPID METABOLISM AND PHTHALATE TOXICITY INTERACTIONSJames Swenberg; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., diethylhexylphthalate (DEHP) and WY-14,643) activate phagocytosis by the resident hepatic macrophages, Kupffer cells. Further, increased cell proliferation was blocked in vivo by both an antibody to TNFalpha and methyl ..
- PLATELET ACTIVATING FACTOR AND THROMBOXANES IN LIVERRory Fisher; Fiscal Year: 1993..and to provide insight into the molecular basis of action of these lipid mediators in hepatic endothelial and Kupffer cells, which regulate flow through the hepatic sinusoids...
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..Substantial evidence exist to support the notion that Kupffer cells (KC) are responsible for the early-phase of I/R injury, and sets the stage for the more severe ..
- Hypoxia-inducible factors in alcoholic liver diseaseGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Lastly, we propose that these events may be differentially regulated in hepatocytes and Kupffer cells and/or inflammatory cells in the liver...
- DISTAL EVENTS IN THE HEPATOTOXICITY OF ENDOTOXINRobert Roth; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Kupffer cells, neutrophils and platelets are among the cellular mediators critical to the development of LPS-induced liver ..
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON PROTEOLYTIC SYSTEMS IN THE LIVERTERRENCE DONOHUE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ethanol may differentially influence the proteasome in Kupffer cells. 2) Ethanol administration impairs the capacity of hepatocytes to degrade proteins modified by ethanol ..
- LIVER RESPONSE TO LPS--ROLE OF LBP AND CD14Grace Su; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although Kupffer cells only represent 15 percent of the total cells within the liver, they constitute 80-90 percent of all the fixed ..
- Cell type gene delivery and alcoholic liver diseaseMichael Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., Kupffer cells)...