Genomes and Genes
Summary: Mitochondria in hepatocytes. As in all mitochondria, there are an outer membrane and an inner membrane, together creating two separate mitochondrial compartments: the internal matrix space and a much narrower intermembrane space. In the liver mitochondrion, an estimated 67% of the total mitochondrial proteins is located in the matrix. (From Alberts et al., Molecular Biology of the Cell, 2d ed, p343-4)
Publications333 found, 100 shown here
- Changes in rat liver mitochondria with aging. Lon protease-like reactivity and N(epsilon)-carboxymethyllysine accumulation in the matrixHilaire Bakala
Laboratoire de Biologie et Biochimie Cellulaire du Vieillissement, Université Paris7 Denis Diderot, Paris, France
Eur J Biochem 270:2295-302. 2003....
- The Ala16Val genetic dimorphism modulates the import of human manganese superoxide dismutase into rat liver mitochondriaAngela Sutton
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 481, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Pharmacogenetics 13:145-57. 2003..dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) protein, and the import of the two human MnSOD precursor variants into rat liver mitochondria. Compared to Ala-proteins, the Val-MnSOD/MTS-DHFR precursor and Val-MnSOD precursor were both partly ..
- Species- and tissue-specific relationships between mitochondrial permeability transition and generation of ROS in brain and liver mitochondria of rats and miceAlexander Panov
Carolinas Neuromuscular ALS MDA Center, Carolinas Medical Center, 1000 Blythe Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C708-18. 2007..Thus the observed differences in the Ca(2+)-induced mPT and ROS generation may underlie both the organ-specific and species-specific variability in the animal models of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Proteome, phosphoproteome, and hydroxyproteome of liver mitochondria in diabetic rats at early pathogenic stagesWen Jun Deng
Key Laboratory of Systems Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:100-16. 2010..To dissect the underlying mechanisms, we performed a multiplexed proteomics study on liver mitochondria isolated from a spontaneous diabetic rat model before/after they were rendered diabetic...
- Distinct characteristics of Ca(2+)-induced depolarization of isolated brain and liver mitochondriaOlga Vergun
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh, W1351 Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1709:127-37. 2005Ca(2+)-induced mitochondrial depolarization was studied in single isolated rat brain and liver mitochondria. Digital imaging techniques and rhodamine 123 were used for mitochondrial membrane potential measurements...
- Effects of fasting on oxidative stress in rat liver mitochondriaM Sorensen
Danish Center for Molecular Gerontology, University of Aarhus, Department of Molecular Biology, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Free Radic Res 40:339-47. 2006..Different parameters related to lipid and protein oxidative damage were also analyzed. Liver mitochondria from rats subjected to 72 h of fasting leaked more electrons per unit of O(2) consumed at complex III, than ..
- Tetrandrine concentrations not affecting oxidative phosphorylation protect rat liver mitochondria from oxidative stressMaria A S Fernandes
Departamento de Zoologia, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Coimbra, Couraça dos apóstolos, 51, R C, 3000 517 Coimbra, Portugal
Mitochondrion 6:176-85. 2006..were assessed on oxidative stress, mitochondrial permeability transition (MPT), and bioenergetics of rat liver mitochondria. At concentrations lower than 100 nmol/mg protein, tetrandrine decreased the hydrogen peroxide formation, ..
- Bcl-2 family proteins regulate the release of apoptogenic cytochrome c by the mitochondrial channel VDACS Shimizu
Osaka University Medical School, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, Suita, Japan
Nature 399:483-7. 1999..Our results indicate that the Bcl-2 family of proteins bind to the VDAC in order to regulate the mitochondrial membrane potential and the release of cytochrome c during apoptosis...
- HO-1 is located in liver mitochondria and modulates mitochondrial heme content and metabolismDaniela P Converso
Laboratory of Oxygen Metabolism, University Hospital, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
FASEB J 20:1236-8. 2006....
- Biased incorporation of ribonucleotides on the mitochondrial L-strand accounts for apparent strand-asymmetric DNA replicationMing Yao Yang
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, CB2 2XY, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cell 111:495-505. 2002..Mammalian mitochondrial DNA replication thus proceeds mainly, or exclusively, by a strand-coupled mechanism...
- Cloning of human cDNAs encoding mitochondrial and cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferases and chromosomal localizationT A Garrow
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley 94720
J Biol Chem 268:11910-6. 1993..The high degree of nucleotide sequence identity between the two isozymes, and the presence of keratin genes in both chromosomal regions, is consistent with these regions of chromosome 12 and 17 arising by a duplication event...
- Dioxin increases reactive oxygen production in mouse liver mitochondriaAlbert P Senft
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0056, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 178:15-21. 2002..Female C57BL/6 mice were treated with dioxin (15 microg/kg body wt ip) on 3 consecutive days, and liver mitochondria were examined at 1, 4, and 8 weeks after the first treatment...
- Hepatic mitochondrial glutathione: transport and role in disease and toxicityJose C Fernandez-Checa
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Instituto Investigaciones Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer, Spain
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 204:263-73. 2005..Evidence mainly from kidney and liver mitochondria indicated that the dicarboxylate and the 2-oxoglutarate carriers contribute to the transport of GSH across ..
- c-Jun N-terminal kinase plays a major role in murine acetaminophen hepatotoxicityBasuki K Gunawan
Research Center for Liver Disease, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90033, USA
Gastroenterology 131:165-78. 2006..In searching for effects of acetaminophen (APAP) on hepatocytes downstream of its metabolism that may participate in hepatotoxicity, we examined the role of stress kinases...
- Reversible glutathionylation of complex I increases mitochondrial superoxide formationEllen R Taylor
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Wellcome Trust MRC Bldg, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2XY, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:19603-10. 2003....
- Toxicity of bile acids on the electron transport chain of isolated rat liver mitochondriaS Krahenbuhl
Department of Medicine, University of Berne, Switzerland
Hepatology 19:471-9. 1994..bile acids on the function of the electron transport chain was investigated in intact and disrupted rat liver mitochondria. In intact mitochondria, lipophilic bile acids used at a concentration of 100 mumol/L (0...
- BH3 death domain peptide induces cell type-selective mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilityB M Polster
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 276:37887-94. 2001..Overall, results support the hypothesis that BH3 peptide releases cytochrome c by a Bax-dependent process that is independent of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore but regulated by Bcl-2...
- Electron transfer between cytochrome c and p66Shc generates reactive oxygen species that trigger mitochondrial apoptosisMarco Giorgio
Experimental Oncology Department, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Cell 122:221-33. 2005..These data demonstrate the existence of alternative redox reactions of the mitochondrial electron transfer chain, which evolved to generate proapoptotic ROS in response to specific stress signals...
- Mitochondrial ATP-sensitive K(+) channels as redox signals to liver mitochondria in response to hypertriglyceridemiaLuciane C Alberici
Departamento de Patologia Clinica, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, 13083 887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Free Radic Biol Med 47:1432-9. 2009..Isolated HTG liver mitochondria presented lower rates of H(2)O(2) production, which were reversed by mitoK(ATP) antagonists...
- Activation of the lifespan regulator p66Shc through reversible disulfide bond formationMelanie Gertz
Departments of Physiological Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitatsstrasse 150, 44801 Bochum, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5705-9. 2008..Glutathione and thioredoxins can reduce and inactivate p66(Shc), resulting in a thiol-based redox sensor system that initiates apoptosis once cellular protection systems cannot cope anymore with cellular stress...
- Direct effects of diazoxide on mitochondria in pancreatic B-cells and on isolated liver mitochondriaT Grimmsmann
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 123:781-8. 1998..Ca2+ transport, oxygen consumption and ATP generation were investigated in mouse pancreatic B-cells and rat liver mitochondria. 2...
- Acrolein is a mitochondrial toxin: effects on respiratory function and enzyme activities in isolated rat liver mitochondriaLijuan Sun
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, People s Republic China
Mitochondrion 6:136-42. 2006..However, the toxic effects and the underlying mechanisms of acrolein on mitochondria, especially, on liver mitochondria, have not been well studied...
- Alleviation of enhanced oxidative stress and oxygen consumption of L-thyroxine induced hyperthyroid rat liver mitochondria by vitamin E and curcuminU Subudhi
Department of Biotechnology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar 751004, Orissa, India
Chem Biol Interact 173:105-14. 2008....
- Function of mitochondrial Stat3 in cellular respirationJoanna Wegrzyn
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Science 323:793-7. 2009..These data indicate that Stat3 is required for optimal function of the ETC, which may allow it to orchestrate responses to cellular homeostasis...
- In vitro effect of eugenol and cinnamaldehyde on membrane potential and respiratory chain complexes in isolated rat liver mitochondriaJ Usta
American University of Beirut, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Lebanon
Food Chem Toxicol 40:935-40. 2002..The study proposes the mitochondria as a target for the action of the spices resulting in derangement of mitochondrial functions, particularly at proton transferring sites...
- Rat liver mitochondria can synthesize nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide from nicotinamide mononucleotide and ATP via a putative matrix nicotinamide mononucleotide adenylyltransferaseM Barile
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Bari, Italy
Biochem Mol Biol Int 38:297-306. 1996..insight into the mechanism by which nicotinamide nucleotides localize in mitochondria, NMN was added to rat liver mitochondria, with NAD synthesis tested both enzymatically and by means of HPLC...
- Effect of experimental and cold exposure induced hyperthyroidism on H2O2 production and susceptibility to oxidative stress of rat liver mitochondriaP Venditti
Dipartimento delle Scienze Biologiche Sezione di Fisiologia, Universita di Napoli, I 80134 Napoli, Italy
Arch Biochem Biophys 447:11-22. 2006..However, a significant role is also played by T4, which appears to acts mainly modulating T3 effects, but also inducing some effects different from the T3 ones...
- Alpha-tocopherol beta-oxidation localized to rat liver mitochondriaDebbie J Mustacich
Linus Pauling Institute, 571 Weniger Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 48:73-81. 2010..An unexpected finding was that alpha-CEHC, the end product of alpha-tocopherol metabolism, was found almost exclusively in mitochondria. These data are the first to indicate a mitochondrial role in alpha-tocopherol metabolism...
- Metallothionein can function as a chaperone for zinc uptake transport into prostate and liver mitochondriaLeslie C Costello
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Dental School, University of Maryland, 666 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Inorg Biochem 98:664-6. 2004..determined if Zn(7)-MT was an effective chaperone and donor for delivery and uptake of zinc by prostate and liver mitochondria. The results reveal that both intact mitochondria and mitoplasts effectively accumulated zinc from Zn(7)-MT...
- Uncoupling and oxidative stress in liver mitochondria isolated from rats with acute iron overloadG L Pardo Andreu
Departamento de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Centro de Química Farmacéutica, Calle 200, esq 21, Playa, CP 11600, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Arch Toxicol 83:47-53. 2009..Here we tested the effects of acute iron overload on liver mitochondria isolated from rats subjected to a single dose of i.p. 500 mg/kg iron-dextran...
- Complex I is the major site of mitochondrial superoxide production by paraquatHelena M Cocheme
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Wellcome Trust MRC Building, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:1786-98. 2008..Together this membrane potential-dependent uptake across the mitochondrial inner membrane and the subsequent rapid reduction to the paraquat radical cation explain the toxicity of paraquat to mitochondria...
- Modification of the mitochondrial proteome in response to the stress of ethanol-dependent hepatotoxicityAparna Venkatraman
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Biol Chem 279:22092-101. 2004..These data also suggest that the response of mitochondria to stress may not involve non-discriminate changes in the proteome but is restricted to those metabolic pathways that have a direct role in a specific pathology...
- Effective protection of Terminalia catappa L. leaves from damage induced by carbon tetrachloride in liver mitochondriaXinhui Tang
Institute of Materia Medica, School of Medicine and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
J Nutr Biochem 17:177-82. 2006..It can be concluded that TCCE have protective activities against liver mitochondrial damage induced by CCl4, which suggests a new mechanism of the hepatoprotective effects of TCCE...
- The proton permeability of the inner membrane of liver mitochondria from ectothermic and endothermic vertebrates and from obese rats: correlations with standard metabolic rate and phospholipid fatty acid compositionP S Brookes
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 119:325-34. 1998We measured the proton leak across the inner membrane of liver mitochondria isolated from six different vertebrate species and from obese and control Zucker rats...
- Inhibition of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat liver mitochondria by curcumin and its analoguesQing Yi Wei
National Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu 730, 000, China
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:70-7. 2006..The in vitro oxidative damage to both lipids and proteins in rat liver mitochondria was used as a model to study the free radical-induced oxidative damage of biological lipids as well as ..
- Closure of VDAC causes oxidative stress and accelerates the Ca(2+)-induced mitochondrial permeability transition in rat liver mitochondriaAndrey Tikunov
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 495:174-81. 2010..Treatment of isolated rat liver mitochondria with 5microM G3139, an 18-mer phosphorothioate blocker of VDAC, accelerated onset of the MPT by 6.8+/-1...
- Effects of Phyllanthus urinaria extract on HepG2 cell viability and oxidative phosphorylation by isolated rat liver mitochondriaNuannoi Chudapongse
School of Biology, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 130:315-9. 2010..However, there is limited scientific evidence supporting its use in cancer particularly hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Mitochondrial oxidative injury and energy metabolism alteration in rat fatty liver: effect of the nutritional statusG Vendemiale
Department of Internal and Public Medicine (DIMIMP, University of Bari, Italy
Hepatology 33:808-15. 2001..These changes, which are greatly exacerbated after starvation, may account for the reduced synthesis of the hepatic ATP observed in the presence of fatty infiltration...
- Inhibition of the mitochondrial permeability transition by protein kinase A in rat liver mitochondria and hepatocytesPeter Pediaditakis
Center for Cell Death, Injury and Regeneration, Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, 29425, USA
Biochem J 431:411-21. 2010..combination with cyclic nucleotides to delay onset of the calcium-induced MPT was evaluated in isolated rat liver mitochondria. Liver cytosol plus cGMP or cAMP dose-dependently inhibited the MPT, required ATP hydrolysis for inhibition ..
- Bcl-xL promotes the open configuration of the voltage-dependent anion channel and metabolite passage through the outer mitochondrial membraneM G Vander Heiden
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 276:19414-9. 2001..Together these results demonstrate that following an apoptotic signal, Bcl-x(L) can maintain metabolite exchange across the outer mitochondrial membrane by inhibiting VDAC closure...
- Heat shock suppresses the permeability transition in rat liver mitochondriaLihua He
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7090, USA
J Biol Chem 278:16755-60. 2003..These results indicate that heat shock causes resistance to opening of MPT pores, which may contribute to heat shock protection against cellular injury...
- Crystal structures of medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase from pig liver mitochondria with and without substrateJ J Kim
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:7523-7. 1993..Lys-304, the prevalent mutation site found in patients with medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency, is located approximately 20 A away from the active site of the enzyme...
- Age-dependent deficiency in import of mitochondrial DNA glycosylases required for repair of oxidatively damaged basesBartosz Szczesny
Sealy Center for Molecular Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:10670-5. 2003..These results indicate an age-dependent decline in the mitochondrial import of proteins needed for DNA repair and possibly for other functions...
- Metformin promotes isolated rat liver mitochondria impairmentCristina Carvalho
Department of Zoology Faculty of Sciences and Technology, University of Coimbra, Coimbra 3000 354, Portugal
Mol Cell Biochem 308:75-83. 2008..In the present study, we evaluated the effect of metformin in isolated rat liver mitochondria status...
- Influence of aging and long-term caloric restriction on oxygen radical generation and oxidative DNA damage in rat liver mitochondriaMonica Lopez-Torres
Department of Animal Biology II Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 32:882-9. 2002..Long-term caloric restriction significantly decreased H2O2 production of rat liver mitochondria (47% reduction) and significantly reduced oxidative damage to mtDNA (46% reduction) with no changes in nDNA...
- Cyclosporin A-sensitive permeability transition pore is involved in Cd(2+)-induced dysfunction of isolated rat liver mitochondria: doubts no moreElena A Belyaeva
Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Thorez pr 44, 194223, St Petersburg, Russia
Arch Biochem Biophys 405:252-64. 2002There is dose-dependent Cd(2+)-evoked swelling of isolated rat liver mitochondria energized by complex I, II, or IV respiratory substrates in sucrose medium in the absence of added Ca(2+) and P(i), which is prevented by Sr(2+)...
- p53 functions in the incorporation step in DNA base excision repair in mouse liver mitochondriaNadja C de Souza-Pinto
Laboratory of Molecular Gerontology, NIA IRP, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Oncogene 23:6559-68. 2004..Thus, we conclude that p53 may participate in mtBER by stimulating the repair synthesis incorporation step...
- Bax directly induces release of cytochrome c from isolated mitochondriaJ M Jurgensmeier
Program on Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:4997-5002. 1998....
- Stimulation of respiration by methylene blue in rat liver mitochondriaT M Visarius
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Berne, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 412:157-60. 1997The effect of methylene blue on isolated rat liver mitochondria in the presence and absence of chloroacetaldehyde was investigated. Fatty acid oxidation was inhibited by chloroacetaldehyde and subsequently stimulated by methylene blue...
- Control of oxidative phosphorylation by Complex I in rat liver mitochondria: implications for agingBarbara Ventura
Dipartimento di Biochimica G Moruzzi, Universita di Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, 40126, Bologna, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1553:249-60. 2002We compared NAD-dependent state 4 and state 3 respiration, NADH oxidation and Complex I specific activity in liver mitochondria from 4- and 30-month-old rats. All the activities examined were significantly decreased with aging...
- The contribution of mitochondrial respiratory complexes to the production of reactive oxygen speciesH R McLennan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Bioenerg Biomembr 32:153-62. 2000..Complex II, in particular, appears to contribute to the basal production of ROS in cells...
- Steatosis-induced proteomic changes in liver mitochondria evidenced by two-dimensional differential in-gel electrophoresisPierre Douette
Laboratory of Bioenergetics, Bat B6c, Allee de la Chimie 3, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Proteome Res 4:2024-31. 2005..Interestingly, major proteins that regulate generation and consumption of the acetyl-CoA pool were dramatically changed during steatosis. Many proteins involved in the response to oxidative stress were also affected...
- Dithiothreitol abrogates the effect of arsenic trioxide on normal rat liver mitochondria and human hepatocellular carcinoma cellsManash K Paul
Department of Biology, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali, MGSIPA Complex, Adjacent Sacred Heart School, Sector 26, Chandigarh 160019 corrected India
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 226:140-52. 2008..Hence, we attempted to study the modulatory effect of DTT on ATO-induced dysfunction of mammalian liver mitochondria and human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line (Hep3B)...
- Bax interacts with the permeability transition pore to induce permeability transition and cytochrome c release in isolated mitochondriaM Narita
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedical Research Center, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14681-6. 1998..Taken together, these findings suggest that proapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, including Bax and Bak, induce the mitochondrial PT and cytochrome c release by interacting with the PT pores...
- Zinc metallothionein imported into liver mitochondria modulates respirationB Ye
Center for Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Seeley G Mudd Building, 250 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:2317-22. 2001Metallothionein (MT) localizes in the intermembrane space of liver mitochondria as well as in the cytosol and nucleus...
- Effect of melatonin treatment on oxygen consumption by rat liver mitochondriaC F Reyes-Toso
Departamento de Fisiologia and Hospital de Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Amino Acids 31:299-302. 2006..Basal state 4 respiration was not modified by melatonin. Melatonin, by curtailing overstimulation of cellular respiration caused by excess Krebs' cycle substrates, can protect the mitochondria from oxidative damage...
- Effect of short-term caloric restriction on H2O2 production and oxidative DNA damage in rat liver mitochondria and location of the free radical sourceR Gredilla
Department of Animal Biology II (Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
J Bioenerg Biomembr 33:279-87. 2001..complexes I or III of the respiratory chain contain the ROS generators, in this study we find that rat liver mitochondria generate oxygen radicals at complexes I, II, and III...
- Obesity induces expression of uncoupling protein-2 in hepatocytes and promotes liver ATP depletionK D Chavin
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 274:5692-700. 1999..Hence, hepatocytes adapt to obesity by up-regulating UCP2. However, because this decreases the efficiency of energy trapping, the cells become vulnerable to ATP depletion when energy needs increase acutely...
- Compromised incision of oxidized pyrimidines in liver mitochondria of mice deficient in NTH1 and OGG1 glycosylasesBensu Karahalil
Laboratory of Molecular Gerontology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Biol Chem 278:33701-7. 2003..We did not detect a backup glycosylase or glycosylase/AP lyase activity for thymine glycol in the mitochondrial mouse extracts...
- Mechanism of primary Cd2+-induced rat liver mitochondria dysfunction: discrete modes of Cd2+ action on calcium and thiol-dependent domainsElena A Belyaeva
Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Thorez pr44, 194223, St Petersburg, Russia
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 192:56-68. 2003..Suppositions about possible localization of separate sites of direct Cd2+ effects on mitochondrial function were made...
- Ethanol consumption and liver mitochondria functionC C Cunningham
Department of Biochemistry, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, N C 27157 1016, USA
Biol Signals Recept 10:271-82. 2001..Both these semiquinones readily donate electrons to molecular oxygen to form superoxide...
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: association of insulin resistance and mitochondrial abnormalitiesA J Sanyal
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0711, USA
Gastroenterology 120:1183-92. 2001....
- Fe(2+) induces a transient Ca(2+) release from rat liver mitochondriaVladimir Gogvadze
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 398:198-202. 2002..When Fe(2+) accumulation is completed, reuptake of released Ca(2+) into mitochondria resumes. Finally, we propose that Fe(2+) either inhibits Ca(2+) entry at the uniporter or is transported by it into the matrix...
- Effect of thyroid state on H2O2 production by rat liver mitochondriaPaola Venditti
Dipartimento di Fisiologia Generale ed Ambientale, Universita di Napoli, I 80134 Napoli, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 205:185-92. 2003..order to throw light on this subject, the effects of thyroid state on O2 consumption and H2O2 release by rat liver mitochondria were investigated...
- Effect of ageing and caloric restriction on specific markers of protein oxidative damage and membrane peroxidizability in rat liver mitochondriaAdrian J Lambert
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Biosciences Building, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, UK
Mech Ageing Dev 125:529-38. 2004To gain insight into the anti-ageing mechanisms of caloric restriction (CR), liver mitochondria were isolated from male Brown-Norway rats of different ages (fully fed control and CR) and various specific markers of non-enzymatic protein ..
- Dietary choline restriction causes complex I dysfunction and increased H(2)O(2) generation in liver mitochondriaK Hensley
Free Radical Biology and Aging Research Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK 73014, USA
Carcinogenesis 21:983-9. 2000....
- Metabolism of melatonin by cytochrome P450s in rat liver mitochondria and microsomesIgor Semak
Department of Biochemistry, Belarus State University, Minsk, Belarus
J Pineal Res 45:515-23. 2008....
- Effects of a high fat diet on liver mitochondria: increased ATP-sensitive K+ channel activity and reactive oxygen species generationAriel R Cardoso
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Bioenerg Biomembr 42:245-53. 2010..the diet does not substantially alter respiratory rates, ADP/O ratios or membrane potentials of isolated liver mitochondria. However, H(2)O(2) release using different substrates and ATP-sensitive K(+) transport activities are ..
- Silver ion induces a cyclosporine a-insensitive permeability transition in rat liver mitochondria and release of apoptogenic cytochrome CMohamad Radwan Almofti
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokushima, Shomachi 1, Tokushima 770 8505
J Biochem 134:43-9. 2003..study, we examined the effect of Ag(+), a known cytotoxic sulfhydryl-reactive heavy metal, on isolated rat liver mitochondria. The following results were obtained: (1) Upon addition, Ag(+) instantly induced mitochondrial swelling and ..
- The anti-oxidant ebselen antagonizes the release of the apoptogenic factor cytochrome c induced by Fe2+/citrate in rat liver mitochondriaA Boireau
Departement Biologie, Aventis Pharma S A, Centre de Recherche de Vitry Alfortville, 13 quai Jules Guesde, 94403, Vitry sur Seine Cedex, France
Neurosci Lett 289:95-8. 2000..Thus, it is suggested that the neuroprotective effect of ebselen previously demonstrated in humans and in animals may be due, at least in part, to a mitochondrial protection...
- Defective hepatic mitochondrial respiratory chain in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitisMercedes Pérez-Carreras
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Carretera de Andalucia, km 5, 400, 28041 Madrid, Spain
Hepatology 38:999-1007. 2003..In conclusion, activities of MRC complexes were decreased in liver tissue of patients with NASH. This dysfunction correlated with serum TNF-alpha, insulin resistance, and BMI values...
- Distinct kinetics of carnitine palmitoyltransferase i in contact sites and outer membranes of rat liver mitochondriaF Fraser
Cellular Biochemistry, Hannah Research Institute, Ayr, KA6 5HL, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:20182-5. 2001Carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT I) of rat liver mitochondria is an integral, polytopic protein of the outer membrane that is enriched at contact sites...
- Sulfide oxidation coupled to ATP synthesis in chicken liver mitochondriaR Yong
Biology Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 129:129-37. 2001Chicken liver mitochondria consumed O2 at an accelerated rate when supplied with low concentrations of hydrogen sulfide...
- Cd2+ effects on respiration and swelling of rat liver mitochondria were modified by monovalent cationsS M Korotkov
Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Torez pr, Russian Federation
J Inorg Biochem 70:17-23. 1998Changes in Cd2+ effects on respiration of succinate-energized rat liver mitochondria were studied after replacement of 100 mM KCl in an incubation medium by equimolar amounts of NaCl or LiCl, or by 200 mM sucrose. In KCl medium, 2...
- Rapid mtDNA deletion by oxidants in rat liver mitochondria after hemin exposureHagir B Suliman
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 32:246-56. 2002..This mtDNA damage is associated with altered expression of mitochondrial cell death proteins, thereby suggesting a novel mechanism for systemic or environmental pro-oxidants to influence apoptosis...
- Hypothyroidism reduces tricarboxylate carrier activity and expression in rat liver mitochondria by reducing nuclear transcription rate and splicing efficiencyLuisa Siculella
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Department of Biological and Environmental Science and Technologies, University of Lecce, Via provinciale Lecce Monteroni, I 73100 Lecce, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:19072-80. 2006..Thus, the rate of formation of the TCC 3'-end is not altered in hypothyroidism. These results suggest that hypothyroidism affects TCC expression at both the transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels...
- Altered enzyme activities and citrulline synthesis in liver mitochondria from ornithine carbamoyltransferase-deficient sparse-furash miceN S Cohen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033
Biochem J 257:251-7. 1989..A study of liver mitochondria from normal and spfash males showed that they differ in important ways...
- Modulation of oxidative phosphorylation machinery signifies a prime mode of anti-ageing mechanism of calorie restriction in male rat liver mitochondriaDiksha Dani
Physical Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, Technische Universitat Darmstadt, Petersenstrasse 22, Darmstadt, Germany
Biogerontology 11:321-34. 2010..This is the first report on such 'putatively hormetic' ageing-analogous effects of CR, besides the age-retarding ones...
- Flow cytometric analysis of isolated liver mitochondria to detect changes relevant to cell deathGustav Mattiasson
Laboratory for Experimental Brain Research, Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Cytometry A 60:145-54. 2004..This article describes a well-characterized protocol for flow cytometric analysis of isolated liver mitochondria that can be used to detect mitochondrial alterations relevant to cell death.
- Protective effect of lipoic acid against methotrexate-induced oxidative stress in liver mitochondriaHeena Tabassum
Immunotoxicology Laboratory, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, New Delhi 110062, India
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1973-9. 2010..The purpose of this study was to investigate the damage caused by MTX on liver mitochondria and its protection by using antioxidant properties of lipoic acid...
- Plasma lysine concentration and availability of 2-ketoglutarate in liver mitochondriaP Kamoun
Laboratoire de Biochimie Medicale B, Hĵpital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Inherit Metab Dis 25:1-6. 2002..Our data further suggest that patients with isolated L-2-hydroxyglutaric aciduria may have a defect in 2-ketoglutarate metabolism. The current report summarizes our studies...
- Quantitative analysis of cereulide, an emetic toxin of Bacillus cereus, by using rat liver mitochondriaKumiko Kawamura-Sato
Department of Medical Technology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Health Science, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 49:25-30. 2005..The oxygen consumption in a reaction medium containing rat liver mitochondria was rapid in the presence of cereulide...
- Aminoacetone induces iron-mediated oxidative damage to isolated rat liver mitochondriaFernando Dutra
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes 748, SP, CEP 05508 900, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 430:284-9. 2004..These findings may contribute to clarify the role of accumulated AA and iron overload in the mitochondrial oxidative damage reportedly occurring in diabetes mellitus...
- Adaptation of protein carbonyl detection to the requirements of proteome analysis demonstrated for hypoxia/reoxygenation in isolated rat liver mitochondriaT Reinheckel
Department of Experimental Surgery, University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, D 39120, Germany
Arch Biochem Biophys 376:59-65. 2000..However, most protein spots did not show a change or even a decline (4 spots) in protein carbonyls...
- Multiple effects of 2,2',5,5'-tetrachlorobiphenyl on oxidative phosphorylation in rat liver mitochondriaVida Mildaziene
Vytautas Magnus University, Vileikos 8, 3035 Kaunas, Lithuania
Toxicol Sci 65:220-7. 2002..pollutant 2,2',5,5'-tetrachlorobiphenyl (2,2',5,5'-TCB) was performed by modular kinetic analysis in rat liver mitochondria oxidizing succinate (+ rotenone) and glutamate + malate...
- Absence of nitric-oxide synthase in sequentially purified rat liver mitochondriaPriya Venkatakrishnan
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Texas, El Paso, Texas 79968, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19843-55. 2009..repeated differential centrifugation followed by Percoll gradient fractionation, ultrapure, never frozen rat liver mitochondria and submitochondrial particles were obtained...
- Food restriction affects energy metabolism in rat liver mitochondriaJean Francois Dumas
INSERM EMI U 00 18, Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moleculaire, Medecine B, CHU, F 49033 Angers cedex 01, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1670:126-31. 2004To examine the effect of 50% food restriction over a period of 3 days on mitochondrial energy metabolism, liver mitochondria were isolated from ad libitum and food-restricted rats...
- Proapoptotic BH3-only Bcl-2 family members induce cytochrome c release, but not mitochondrial membrane potential loss, and do not directly modulate voltage-dependent anion channel activityS Shimizu
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, CREST of Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:577-82. 2000..These findings indicated the involvement of a different mechanism in BH3-only, protein-induced apoptogenic cytochrome c release...
- DQAsome/DNA complexes release DNA upon contact with isolated mouse liver mitochondriaV Weissig
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, 211 Mugar Building, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Control Release 75:401-8. 2001..Thus, DQAsome/DNA complexes were shown to release DNA upon contact with the surface of mitochondria thereby meeting a key requirement for our strategy towards mitochondrial DNA delivery...
- Methylmercury induces the opening of the permeability transition pore in rat liver mitochondriaMarcantonio Bragadin
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali, Universita di Venezia, DD2137 30123, Venice, Italy
J Inorg Biochem 89:159-62. 2002..This comparison suggests that CH(3)HgCl induces opening of a permeability transition pore (MTP). Since the opening of an MTP induces cell death, this interaction with MTP could be one of the causes of toxicity of CH(3)HgCl...
- Proton leak in hepatocytes and liver mitochondria from archosaurs (crocodiles) and allometric relationships for ectothermsA J Hulbert
Metabolic Research Centre and Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
J Comp Physiol B 172:387-97. 2002..Respiration rates of hepatocytes and liver mitochondria were measured at 37 degrees C and compared with values obtained for rat or previously measured for other ..
- Effect of poly(amido)amine (PAMAM) G4 dendrimer on heart and liver mitochondria in an animal model of diabetesMagdalena Labieniec
Department of General Biophysics, University of Lodz, 12 16 Banacha Street, 90 237 Lodz, Poland
Cell Biol Int 34:89-97. 2010..5 micromol/kg of body weight daily for 60 days) may contribute to improved respiration in heart and liver mitochondria from streptozotocin-diabetic rats...
- Ca2+-induced reactive oxygen species production promotes cytochrome c release from rat liver mitochondria via mitochondrial permeability transition (MPT)-dependent and MPT-independent mechanisms: role of cardiolipinGiuseppe Petrosillo
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Institute of Biomembranes and Bioenergetics, University of Bari, Via E Orabona, 4, 70126 Bari, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:53103-8. 2004..This study tested the hypothesis that distinct Ca(2+) thresholds may induce cytochrome c release from rat liver mitochondria by membrane permeability transition (MPT)-dependent and independent mechanisms...
- Rat brain and liver mitochondria develop oxidative stress and lose enzymatic activities on agingAna Navarro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Cadiz, Spain
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R1244-9. 2004..b>Liver mitochondria isolated from young and old rats did not show differences in fragility and water permeability...
- Structure, function and regulation of the tricarboxylate transport protein from rat liver mitochondriaR S Kaplan
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of South Alabama, Mobile 36688
J Bioenerg Biomembr 25:503-14. 1993..Potential future research directions are discussed...
- Proton conductance and fatty acyl composition of liver mitochondria correlates with body mass in birdsMartin D Brand
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
Biochem J 376:741-8. 2003The proton conductance of isolated liver mitochondria correlates significantly with body mass in mammals, but not in ectotherms...
- Protective effect of Phyllanthus fraternus against bromobenzene induced mitochondrial dysfunction in rat liver mitochondriaSriram Gopi
Department of Biochemistry, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2170-5. 2010..extract of Phyllanthus fraternus (AEPF) against bromobenzene induced mitochondrial dysfunction in rat liver mitochondria. Administration of bromobenzene (10 mmol/kg body wt...
- Oxidative stress is responsible for mitochondrial permeability transition induction by salicylate in liver mitochondriaValentina Battaglia
Dipartimento di Chimica Biologica, Universita di Padova, Istituto di Neuroscienze del C N R, Unità per lo studio delle Biomembrane, Viale G Colombo 3, 35121 Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:33864-72. 2005The interaction of salicylate with the respiratory chain of liver mitochondria generates hydrogen peroxide and, most probably, other reactive oxygen species, which in turn oxidize thiol groups and glutathione...
- Effects of acute leptin administration on the differences in proton leak rate in liver mitochondria from ob/ob mice compared to lean controlsH P Melia
Department of Biochemistry, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
FEBS Lett 458:261-4. 1999In this investigation, the effects on proton leak of leptin administration to ob/ob mice was measured for liver mitochondria. We and others have shown that proton leak is approximately 3 times greater in liver mitochondria from ob/ob mice ..
- The amino acid sequences of the flavin-peptides of dimethylglycine dehydrogenase and sarcosine dehydrogenase from rat liver mitochondriaR J Cook
J Biol Chem 260:12998-3002. 1985..The sequence determined for the flavin-peptide from sarcosine dehydrogenase contained 14 amino acid residues Leu-Thr-Ser-Gly-Thr-Thr-Trp-His(flavin)-Thr-Ala-Gly-Leu-Gly-Arg...
- Steady-state redox behavior of cytochrome c, cytochrome a, and CuA of cytochrome c oxidase in intact rat liver mitochondriaJ E Morgan
Department of Medical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Biochemistry 30:948-58. 1991..of cytochrome c (Fec), Fea, and CuA of cytochrome c oxidase during steady-state turnover in intact rat liver mitochondria under coupled and uncoupled conditions...
- Cell Volume Regulated Biology in the LiverRavi Chari; Fiscal Year: 2005..In specific aim 1, the pharmacological characteristics of these receptors in isolated rat liver mitochondria will be established...
- Role of Mitochondria in the Regulation of Iron metabolism by AlcoholDUYGU DEE DEE HARRISON-FINDIK; Fiscal Year: 2012..The knowledge obtained from these studies, characterizing the pivotal role of mitochondria, will enable us to determine the mechanisms of liver injury caused by iron and alcohol in patients with ALD. ..
- Defining Molecular Determinants of Type 2 Diabetes Using Quantitative ProteomicsPaul A Grimsrud; Fiscal Year: 2013..I observed highly reproducible alterations in protein abundance and phosphorylation in liver mitochondria in a cohort of over forty mice, which are either susceptible (B6) or resistant (BTBR) to developing T2DM ..
- High-throughput assays for the development of SIRT5-specific inhibitorsHening Lin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, several malonylated and succinylated proteins were identified from bovine liver mitochondria, demonstrating that lysine malonylation and succinylation are previously unrecognized protein ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL CALCIUM SIGNALING IN CELL DEATHGyorgy Hajnoczky; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies, we have shown that hepatocarcinoma mitochondria are far more sensitive to Bid than normal liver mitochondria and this difference is paralleled by more VDAC2 and Bak being present in the hepatocarcinoma...
- Reactivating Apoptosis in Refractory Cancer by Selective Targeting of MCL-1Michelle Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..mitochondrial apoptosis by SIMs will be examined in cytochrome c release assays performed on isolated mouse liver mitochondria. The ability of SIMs to reactivate apoptosis alone and in combination with other pro-apoptotic stimuli will ..
- TISSUE STORES OF FOLATE: DIETARY CONTROL AND ASSAYConrad Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Two of these are enzymes that were found to be present in liver mitochondria, dimethylglycine dehydrogenase (DMGDH) and sarcosine dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- MECHANISM OF GLUTATHIONE CONJUGATE DEPENDENT TOXICITYArthur Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2007..cells in vivo, and that halogenated cysteine S-conjugates are metabolic poisons of isolated kidney and liver mitochondria. The PI and coworkers have suggested that KGDHC and BCKAD are sensitive to inactivation due to toxicant ..
- Mitochondrial SOD & Breast Cancer Risk-MechanismJAMES YAGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The protein encoded by the Val allele exhibited decreased import in isolated rat liver mitochondria. Furthermore, Val homozygotes had an increased risk of nonfamilial cardiomyopathy in Japanese patients...
- CARBON DIOXIDE EXCHANGES IN THE LIVERSUSANNA DODGSON; Fiscal Year: 1991The aim of this proposal is to further study the nature of the unique liver mitochondria carbonic anhydrase, CAmit...
- BIOENERGETIC ASPECTS OF ALCOHOL CONSUMPTIONWilliam Thayer; Fiscal Year: 1991..Isolated hepatocytes, liver mitochondria, phosphorylating submitochondrial particles, and phospholipid vesicles reconstituted with specific ..
- Molecular Regulation of UreagenesisLJUBICA M CALDOVIC; Fiscal Year: 2010..My hypothesis is that the ratio of two NAGS variants in the liver mitochondria is determined by the organism's nitrogen load...
- ALTERNATIVE ROLES FOR PHOSPHOENOLPYRUVATE CARBOXYKINASEPaul Ray; Fiscal Year: 1991..of Mn2+ and Fe2+ depletion or repletion on OAA formation from PEP will be studied in isolated rabbit liver mitochondria. Conversion of glucose carbon to fatty acids will be studied in rabbit hepatocytes, white and brown ..
- REGULATORY MECHANISMS IN ENERGY METABOLISMRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 1992..on the above parameters; (b) the nature of the effects of acute glucagon treatment on energy transduction by liver mitochondria; (c) the nature of hypo- and hyperthyroidism on mitochondrial bioenergetics; (d) liver mitochondria from ..
- APPLICATION OF NOVEL OPTICAL METHODS TO CELL DYNAMICSAlan Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2001..These experiments will be done in rat liver mitochondria, which possess, a 50 - 60 percent solids v/v, and in erythrocytes, whose solid concentration can be varied ..
- THE STATE OF WATER AND SOLUTES IN MITOCHONDRIAKeith Garlid; Fiscal Year: 1980Isolated rat liver mitochondria are being studied to determine the physiochemical properties of the internal aqueous phase...
- ANT Defects in Neurodegenerative DiseasesDouglas Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will also generate mice that are Ant1 and Ant2 null mutants in their livers and use the liver mitochondria to investigate the role of the ANTs in the mtPTP and in apoptosis...
- Zinc Regulation & Toxicity in Cellular Energy MetabolismAbraham Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Establish the order of mitochondria events following exogenous addition of Zn++ in rat liver mitochondria. 4) Redox balance and other Zn++ -induced changes discovered and characterized in liver mitochondria in Aims ..
- CONTROL OF ENERGY METABOLISM IN CHRONIC ALCOHOLISMBORIS KHOLODENKO; Fiscal Year: 1999..from heart and liver; (2) to quantify the ethanol-induced changes in the control patterns of heart and liver mitochondria under different conditions of substrate supply and energy utilization...
- ENZYME STEREOCHEMISTRY AND MECHANISMDONALD ABERHART; Fiscal Year: 1990Isovaleryl CoA dehydrogenase, an enzyme involved in leucine metabolism, will be isolated from rat liver mitochondria and used to transform stereospecifically labeled (3S)-[4-13C]-isovaleryl CoA to Beta-methylcrotonyl CoA...
- Mitochondrial GSH /SAM in alcohol induced liver damageJOSE FERNANDEZ CHECA; Fiscal Year: 2004..1. - SAM levels and transport in rat liver mitochondria from alcohol-fed rats...
- TRNA PROCESSING NUCLEASES FROM LIVER MITOCHONDRIAGLENN VAN TUYLE; Fiscal Year: 1990The 5' and 3' tRNA processing nucleases from liver mitochondria will be further purified using current methods of enzyme purification...
- THE TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF SARRACENINJAMES WHITESELL; Fiscal Year: 1980..interesting properties, the most important being a pronounced ability to inhibit respiration in rat liver mitochondria. The former may be a by-product of a potent antileukemic substance present in sarracenin flavia, the natural ..
- CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM & LIVER ENERGY & LIPID METABOLISMCarol Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 1992..Our previous studies have documented several ethanol-induced lesions in liver mitochondria. The intact hepatocyte will now be investigated to determine if the depression in mitochondrial function ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL CATION TRANSPORT MECHANISMSJOYCE DIWAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..Physiological measurements have indicated that the mechanisms which mediate trans[port of K+ and Mg++ into liver mitochondria are similar in their substrate dependence, pH dependence, and sensitivity to inhibitory and stimulatory ..
- PKG-dependent inhibition of the MPTPeter Pediaditakis; Fiscal Year: 2006..To achieve this aim, MPT assays with isolated rat liver mitochondria incubated with liver cytosol will be employed to assess the involvement of PKG and PKA pathways in ..
- ENZYME DEFECTS IN DISORDERS OF PROTOPORPHYRIN METABOLISMJoseph Bloomer; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Liver mitochondria will be examined for the presence of heterodimers consisting of the normal and mutant FECH proteins...
- Technologies Trageting Mitochondral ProteomeBRIAN BALGLEY; Fiscal Year: 2005..proteolytic digestion of proteins resolved and eluted from the CGE-based separations enables the combined top-down/bottom-up characterization of PTMs in mouse liver mitochondria as the model system in this study.
- MITOCHONDRIAL PYRUVATE AND TRICARBOXYLATE TRANSPORTERSRONALD KAPLAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..for 5 years to study the pyruvate/H+ symporter and the tricarboxylate-H+/dicarboxylate antiporter of rate liver mitochondria. These systems will be studied with respect to structure and function at the molecular/chemical levels, and ..
- ILLEGITIMATE RECOMBINATION BY DRUG RESISTANT ELEMENTSROBERT GHOLSON; Fiscal Year: 1980The origin of intramitochondrial pyridine nucleotides will be studied by 1) incubating rat liver mitochondria with NAD ion labeled with 14C in the adenine moiety and with 3H in the nicotinamide reisolating and washing the mitochondria and ..
- REGULATION OF HEPATIC FATTY ACID OXIDATIONGEORGE COOK; Fiscal Year: 1992..in vivo and in vitro using normal rats, isolated rat hepatocytes, cultured hepatocytes, isolated rat liver mitochondria isolated mitochondrial outer membranes, and isolated, purified carnitive palmitoyltransferase...
- Mitochondrial Role in Manganese ToxicityThomas Gunter; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- OXIDANT HEPATIC INJURY IN CHOLESTASISRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Rare Liver Disease NetworkRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2005..The RLDN will be a full partner in the Rare Diseases Clinical Research Network and will participate collaboratively with the other Clinical Research Centers and the Data and Technology Coordinating Center. ..
- ANTIVIRAL & ANTIFIBROTIC LIVER THERAPY OF HCV+ DRINKERSCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2005..Funds are requested for special laboratory tests, study nurses, travel to meetings, patient monitoring expenses and a core office. ..
- Redox Modification of Thiols in Alcohol HepatotoxicityShannon Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2008..New information on the molecular targets of SAM will also be achieved, which will enable the design of effective therapeutic strategies to treat liver diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NOVEL THERAPIES FOR ACETAMINOPHEN TOXICITYLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Survival For Small-For-Size Liver GraftsZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will develop mechanism-based strategies to increase the use and improve the outcome of partial livers for transplantation in the clinic. ..
- MODULATION OF NEUROENDOCRINE FUNCTION IN SEPSISDREW CARLSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..The mechanisms revealed are likely to play a significant role in the suppression of host defense and the onset of septic shock...
- Glutathione in Environmental Toxicity and DiseaseHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our proposed research should therefore help focus future genotype-phenotype association studies between the appropriate DNA variant sites in the GCLC and GCLM genes and disease. ..
- Induction of Inflammation by Mitochondrial ProteinsElliott Crouser; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluation of a Biomarker for Acetaminophen ToxicityLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data generated from this study will lead to enhanced recognition of APAP hepatotoxicity, thus allowing for better identification of "at risk" populations and the creation of prevention strategies. ..
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED OXIDATIVE STRESSHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will improve our understanding of how PHAHs such as TCDD generate oxidative stress and mutagenesis, leading to better models for risk assessment and novel strategies for intervention in PHAH-mediated toxicity. ..
- The impact of growth modulation of liver carcinogenesisXiao Ming Yin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- High-Content Cell-Based Screening for Modulators of AutophagyXiao Ming Yin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long term hope is that the knowledge and the materials developed through this study will be valuable for future clinical applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GLUTATHIONE AND MITOCHONDRIA IN TOXIC RENAL INJURYLawrence Lash; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information may have therapeutic applications for prevention of renal cellular injury or for understanding mitochondrial diseases or age-related decreases that occur in mitochondrial function. ..
- Stromal Gene Expression During Pulmonary SarcoidosisElliott Crouser; Fiscal Year: 2005..Statistical comparisons of gene expression patterns will then be performed. Novel insights relating gene profiles to disease manifestation, prognosis and pathogenesis are likely outcomes of these investigations. ..
- Nitric oxide and mitochondrial biogenesis in sepsisClaude A Piantadosi; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomics of Oxidant-Induced Mitochondrial Damage in an Animal Model of NASHShannon Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2007..transgenic and/or knockout mouse models to investigate mechanisms of protection from metabolic stress in liver mitochondria. The second aim is to characterize post-translational modifications to the hepatic mitochondria proteome in ..
- MOLECULAR TOXICOLOGY IN HUMAN KIDNEY CELLSLawrence Lash; Fiscal Year: 2007..Achievement of these aims should build on our previous work in human kidney cells and extend it to provide a much more complete understanding of the various and complex ways in which DCVC affects the human kidney [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Synergistic Nutraceutical Effects of DLPC and SAMeCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM AND LIVER ENERGY AND LIPID METABOLISMCarol Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2004..Phosphorus NMR spectroscopy will be utilized heavily in these latter studies. ..
- DLPC Treatment of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic FibrosisCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Bc1-2 Family Proteins in the Ischemic Neuronal InjuryXiao Ming Yin; Fiscal Year: 2006..To characterize the molecular interactions of Bid and Bax in inducing dysfunction of mitochondria isolated from the brain. ..
- PROTON LEAK, OXIDATIVE STRESS, AND ENERGY RESTRICTIONJon Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2003..The premise is that Caloric Restriction (CR), hypothyroidism, and modulation of dietary fat will decrease mitochondrial permeability (i.e. proton leak), therefore decreasing molecular Oxygen consumption, and presumably oxidative stress. ..
- Chronic Alcohol and Liver Oxidative StressShannon Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2003..This investigation should thus provide information on ethanol-elicited alterations that contribute to oxidative damage in the liver. ..
- MECHANISM AND ROLE OF MICROSOMAL ETHANOL OXIDATIONCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information is aimed at elucidating key aspects of alcohol mediated pathology in a way which may eventually affect alcohol related medical complications, their prevention and treatment. ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL CYTOCHROME C RELEASE VIA MEMBRANE PORESElliott Crouser; Fiscal Year: 2004..These advisors are actively investigating the role mitochondria in the pathogenesis of disease. Thus, the prospects for successful collaborative initiatives, a critical determinant of future success, are excellent. ..
- Ethanol effects on liver in self-administering primatesCarol Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2004..fascicularis will develop liver pathology past the fatty liver stage and 2) to evaluate the efficacy of using blood and urine samples to follow development of alcoholic liver disease in an animal model. ..
- Lung Injury Protection by Coagulation BlockadeCLAUDE PIANTADOSI; Fiscal Year: 2008..A successfully optimized strategy could greatly attenuate persistence of pulmonary inflammation and facilitate the resolution of human ARDS. ..
- Antiviral/Antifibrotic Liver Therapy of Hepatitis C positive Alcohol DrinkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accordingly, support is requested for the completion of this novel approach for the treatment of HCV+ patients who become abstinent or who continue to consume alcohol moderately. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Liver Fibrosis, Inflammation & Oxidative Stress MarkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of In Vivo Ethanol-Induced Mitochondrial DepolarizationZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010....