Genomes and Genes
Summary: A fetal blood vessel connecting the pulmonary artery with the descending aorta.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Chronic activation of the prostaglandin receptor EP4 promotes hyaluronan-mediated neointimal formation in the ductus arteriosusUtako Yokoyama
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yokohama City University, Yokohama, Japan
J Clin Invest 116:3026-34. 2006PGE, a potent vasodilator, plays a primary role in maintaining the patency of the ductus arteriosus (DA). Genetic disruption of the PGE-specific receptor EP4, however, paradoxically results in fatal patent DA (PDA) in mice...
- The effect of vitamin A on contraction of the ductus arteriosus in fetal ratG R Wu
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, The Heart Institute of Japan, Tokyo Women's Medical University, Tokyo, 162 Japan
Pediatr Res 49:747-54. 2001Endogenous retinoic acid may play a role in inducing smooth muscle differentiation in the fetal ductus arteriosus. Maternal administration of retinoic acid may accelerate the process...
- Mechanisms regulating the ductus arteriosusRonald I Clyman
School of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Biol Neonate 89:330-5. 2006A patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) results in increased pulmonary blood flow and redistribution of flow to other organs. Several co-morbidities (i.e...
- Differential temporal and spatial progerin expression during closure of the ductus arteriosus in neonatesRegina Bokenkamp
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e23975. 2011Closure of the ductus arteriosus (DA) at birth is essential for the transition from fetal to postnatal life. Before birth the DA bypasses the uninflated lungs by shunting blood from the pulmonary trunk into the systemic circulation...
- Comparative anatomy and ontogeny of the ductus arteriosus, a vascular outsiderM Bergwerff
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Leiden University Medical Centre, P O Box 9602, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Anat Embryol (Berl) 200:559-71. 1999In its function of separating pulmonary and systemic arterial blood flow, the ductus arteriosus, which connects both circuits, either closes permanently at a certain stage in development or attains a capacity to close and reopen ..
- Patent ductus arteriosus and neonatal death in prostaglandin receptor EP4-deficient miceE Segi
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 246:7-12. 1998..Histological examination revealed that the ductus arteriosus in dead neonates remained open, while it was partially closed in the survivors...
- Reference ranges for two-dimensional echocardiographic examination of the fetal ductus arteriosusG Mielke
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 15:219-25. 2000To establish reference ranges for 2D-echocardiographic examination of the fetal ductus arteriosus and its relationship to the main pulmonary artery and the aorta.
- Increased constriction of the ductus arteriosus with combined administration of indomethacin and L-NAME in fetal ratsT Takizawa
Department of Developmental Biotechnology, Azabu University School of Veterinary Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Biol Neonate 80:64-7. 2001We studied age-related changes and the caliber of the ductus arteriosus (DA) after two-pathway inhibition of prostaglandin E(2) and nitric oxide (NO) by the combined administration of indomethacin, a cyclooxygenase inhibitor, and N(G)-..
- Loss of function of the Prx1 and Prx2 homeobox genes alters architecture of the great elastic arteries and ductus arteriosusM Bergwerff
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Leiden University Medical Centre, P O Box 9602, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Virchows Arch 436:12-9. 2000..an abnormal positioning and awkward curvature of the aortic arch in addition to a misdirected and elongated ductus arteriosus, and in two of seven combined mutants, an anomalous retro-oesophageal right subclavian artery...
- The effects of indomethacin and a beta-sympathomimetic agent on the fetal ductus arteriosus during treatment of premature labor: a randomized double-blind studyM Eronen
Children s Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Obstet Gynecol 164:141-6. 1991To study the effect of maternal indomethacin or nylidrine hydrochloride treatment on the fetus ductus arteriosus and the pulmonary artery, 27 women with threatened preterm labor between 24 and 34 weeks' gestation were studied by ..
- Endogenous retinoic acid signaling colocalizes with advanced expression of the adult smooth muscle myosin heavy chain isoform during development of the ductus arteriosusM C Colbert
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Circ Res 78:790-8. 1996During fetal development, a specialized vessel the ductus arteriosus, shunts blood from the pulmonary artery to the aorta, thus bypassing the lungs...
- The fate of ductus arteriosus in infants at 23-27 weeks of gestation: from spontaneous closure to ibuprofen resistanceCarlo Dani
Department of Surgical and Medical Critical Care, Section of Neonatology, Careggi University Hospital of Florence, Florence, Italy
Acta Paediatr 97:1176-80. 2008Some extremely preterm infants experience spontaneous closure of the ductus arteriosus. On the other side, a high percentage (22-30%) of preterm infants born at the lower gestational age fail to respond to a single course of ibuprofen.
- Patency of the ductus arteriosus in the newborn--now you want it, now you don'tThor Willy Ruud Hansen
Pediatr Crit Care Med 8:302-3. 2007
- Cytochrome P-450 3A13 and endothelin jointly mediate ductus arteriosus constriction to oxygen in miceBarbara Baragatti
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Piazza Martiri della Libertà 33, Pisa 56127, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H892-901. 2011The fetal ductus arteriosus (DA) contracts to oxygen, and this feature, maturing through gestation, is considered important for its closure at birth...
- Multiple transcripts of Ca2+ channel alpha1-subunits and a novel spliced variant of the alpha1C-subunit in rat ductus arteriosusUtako Yokoyama
Dept of Pediatrics, Yokohama City University, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H1660-70. 2006..consist of multiple subtypes, regulate vascular tone in developing arterial smooth muscle, including the ductus arteriosus (DA). First, we examined the expression of VDCC subunits in the Wistar rat DA during development...
- The pharmacologic closure of the patent ductus arteriosusBart Van Overmeire
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 10:177-84. 2005The ductus arteriosus is a fetal vessel that allows most of the blood leaving the right ventricle of the heart to bypass the lungs...
- Prostaglandin E2-activated Epac promotes neointimal formation of the rat ductus arteriosus by a process distinct from that of cAMP-dependent protein kinase AUtako Yokoyama
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:28702-9. 2008..protein kinase A (PKA) signal pathway plays a critical role in intimal cushion formation in perinatal ductus arteriosus (DA) through promoting synthesis of hyaluronan...
- Cyclooxygenase-1-selective inhibition prolongs gestation in mice without adverse effects on the ductus arteriosusCharles D Loftin
Laboratory of Environmental Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Clin Invest 110:549-57. 2002..but their use is limited by serious complications to the fetus and neonate, including adverse effects on the ductus arteriosus (DA)...
- Morphometric study of the ductus arteriosus during human developmentMichał Szpinda
Department of Normal Anatomy, Ludwig Rydygier Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, Karłowicza 24 Street, 85 092 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Ann Anat 189:47-52. 2007During prenatal life, the ductus arteriosus connects the left pulmonary artery and the descending aorta...
- Failure of postnatal ductus arteriosus closure in prostaglandin transporter-deficient miceHee Yoon Chang
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Circulation 121:529-36. 2010Prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) plays a major role both in maintaining patency of the fetal ductus arteriosus and in closure of the ductus arteriosus after birth...
- Failure of ductus arteriosus closure is associated with increased mortality in preterm infantsShahab Noori
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Children s Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Pediatrics 123:e138-44. 2009Because the standard of care has been to attempt to close the patent ductus arteriosus in preterm neonates, there is a paucity of information on the outcome of patients with a persistent patent ductus arteriosus...
- Failure of ductus arteriosus closure and remodeling in neonatal mice deficient in cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2C D Loftin
Laboratory of Environmental Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, Comparative Medicine Branch, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1059-64. 2001..One dramatic change that occurs is the closure and remodeling of the ductus arteriosus (DA), an arterial connection in the fetus that directs blood flow away from the pulmonary circulation...
- Response of chicken ductus arteriosus to hypercarbic and normocarbic acidosisRob M J Moonen
Department of Pediatrics, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology GROW, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Neonatology 98:47-56. 2010Changes in pH can have profound effects on vascular tone and reactivity, but their influence on the ductus arteriosus (DA) remains unknown.
- Congenital ductus arteriosus aneurysm presenting with stridor in a newbornBibhuti B Das
Department of Pediatrics, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY, USA
J Perinatol 22:179-80. 2002
- Effects of sex and estrogen on chicken ductus arteriosus reactivityThijs W H Flinsenberg
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, P Debyelaan 25, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1217-24. 2010..In the present study we hypothesized 1) the presence of sexual dimorphism in chicken ductus arteriosus (DA) responsiveness to contractile and relaxant stimuli and 2) that estrogens are vasoactive in the chicken ..
- Congenital ductus arteriosus aneurysmLisa K Hornberger
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:348-50. 2002
- Prevalence of spontaneous closure of the ductus arteriosus in neonates at a birth weight of 1000 grams or lessJosh Koch
Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Pediatrics 117:1113-21. 2006b>Ductus arteriosus (DA) closure occurs within 96 hours in >95% of neonates >1500 g in birth weight (BW)...
- Acute Ortner's syndrome arising from ductus arteriosus aneurysmJohn Kokotsakis
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Evangelismos General Hospital, 10676 Athens, Greece
Tex Heart Inst J 35:216-7. 2008
- Fetal hydrops associated with spontaneous premature closure of ductus arteriosusTakeshi Kondo
Division of Molecular Pathology, Department of Biomedical Informatics, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Pathol Int 56:554-7. 2006..The autopsy revealed an enlarged heart and aortic coarctation in the region of the ductus arteriosus. A mild form of aortic coarctation and premature closure of the ductus arteriosus with fibrous thickening of ..
- Isolated neonatal ductus arteriosus aneurysmSheng Ling Jan
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:342-7. 2002A prospective study was performed to evaluate the incidence, clinical manifestations and outcome of ductus arteriosus aneurysm (DAA) in full-term neonates.
- The role of patent ductus arteriosus ligation in bronchopulmonary dysplasia: reexamining a randomized controlled trialRonald Clyman
Cardiovascular Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0544, USA
J Pediatr 154:873-6. 2009..To reexamine data from a randomized controlled trial of prophylactic ductus ligation to determine whether ligation contributes directly to the development of bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in extremely low birth weight infants...
- Ontogeny of chicken ductus arteriosus response to oxygen and vasoconstrictorsPia Agren
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Hospital, Research Institute Growth and Development GROW, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R485-96. 2007The present study aimed to characterize the contractile reactivity of the chicken ductus arteriosus (DA) from the last stage of prenatal development and throughout the perinatal period...
- Endothelium-dependent contraction induced by acetylcholine in the chicken ductus arteriosus involves cyclooxygenase-1 activation and TP receptor stimulationMarijn J Schuurman
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center MUMC, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology GROW, Maastricht, 6202 AZ, The Netherlands
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 157:28-34. 2010..We aimed to determine whether ACh evokes the release of an EDCF in the chicken ductus arteriosus (DA) and to identify its nature...
- The chicken embryo as a model for ductus arteriosus developmental biology: cracking into new territoryGopinath Sutendra
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R481-4. 2007
- Magnetic resonance imaging of ductus arteriosus Botalli apertus in adulthoodM Schmidt
Klinik und Poliklinik für Nuklearmedizin der Universität zu Köln, Cologne, Germany matthias
Int J Cardiol 68:225-9. 1999b>Ductus arteriosus Botalli apertus is a congenital cardiovascular malformation usually diagnosed in childhood by echocardiography and/or cardiac catheterization...
- Patterns of gene expression in the ductus arteriosus are related to environmental and genetic risk factors for persistent ductus patencyNahid Waleh
Pharmaceutical Discovery Division, SRI International, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Pediatr Res 68:292-7. 2010..exposure, and presence of the rs2817399(A) allele of the gene TFAP2B) are associated with patent ductus arteriosus (PDAs) that fail to close during prostaglandin inhibition...
- Transcriptional regulation during development of the ductus arteriosusKathryn N Ivey
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Circ Res 103:388-95. 2008The ductus arteriosus is a specialized blood vessel containing highly differentiated and contractile vascular smooth muscle, derived largely from neural crest cells, that is essential for fetal life but typically closes after birth...
- Regulation of vascular tone and remodeling of the ductus arteriosusUtako Yokoyama
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine
J Smooth Muscle Res 46:77-87. 2010The ductus arteriosus (DA), a fetal arterial connection between the main pulmonary artery and the descending aorta, normally closes immediately after birth. The DA is a normal and essential fetal structure...
- Platelets contribute to postnatal occlusion of the ductus arteriosusKatrin Echtler
Deutsches Herzzentrum, Klinik für Herz und Kreislauferkrankungen, Technische Universitat, Munich, Germany
Nat Med 16:75-82. 2010The ductus arteriosus (DA) is a fetal shunt vessel between the pulmonary artery and the aorta that closes promptly after birth. Failure of postnatal DA closure is a major cause of morbidity and mortality particularly in preterm neonates...
- [Diverticulum of the ductus arteriosus. Cause of traumatic aortic ruptures?]T Vogler
Abteilung für Kinderpathologie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55101 Mainz
Chirurg 78:47-51. 2007According to angiographic studies 9-26% of all adult aortae show a ductus arteriosus diverticulum (DAD), i.e. an indention of the aortic wall at the insertion of the obliterated ductus arteriosus...
- Intrauterine ductus arteriosus constriction: analysis of a historic cohort of 20 casesStelamaris Luchese
Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia, Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 81:405-10, 399-404. 2003..To describe the relative incidence, presentation, and evolvement of fetuses with early ductus constriction...
- Idiopathic constriction of the fetal ductus arteriosusT N Trevett
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7516, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 23:517-9. 2004Constriction of the ductus arteriosus in the fetus is well studied, but mostly secondary to maternal exposure to indomethacin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, or structural cardiac lesions...
- Infective aortitis associated with the nonpatent remnant of a ductus arteriosusWalter J Flapper
Tasmanian Cardiothoracic Unit, Royal Hobart Hospital, Tasmania, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 76:931-3. 2003..We describe the successful excision of an infected, nonpatent remnant of the ductus arteriosus.
- Developmental changes in endothelium-dependent relaxation of the chicken ductus arteriosusP Agren
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Hospital, Research Institute Growth and Development, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:55-76. 2008We tested the hypothesis that endothelium-dependent relaxation in the chicken ductus arteriosus (DA) is developmentally regulated...
- Initial results and medium-term follow-up of stent implantation of patent ductus arteriosus in duct-dependent pulmonary circulationMazeni Alwi
National Heart Institute, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:438-45. 2004This study was designed to assess the safety, efficacy, medium-term outcome, and complications of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) stenting in duct-dependent pulmonary circulation.
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs during third trimester and the risk of premature closure of the ductus arteriosus: a meta-analysisGideon Koren
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 40:824-9. 2006..An evaluation of the risk of premature closure of the ductus arteriosus is useful in determining the safety of NSAIDs at different stages of pregnancy.
- Changing expression of cyclooxygenases and prostaglandin receptor EP4 during development of the human ductus arteriosusCornelia Rheinlaender
Department of Neonatology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Hospital, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Res 60:270-5. 2006Programmed proliferative degeneration of the human fetal ductus arteriosus (DA) in preparation for its definite postnatal closure has a large developmental variability and is controlled by several signaling pathways, most prominently by ..
- Developmental absence of the O2 sensitivity of L-type calcium channels in preterm ductus arteriosus smooth muscle cells impairs O2 constriction contributing to patent ductus arteriosusBernard Thebaud
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, T6G 2J3, AB, Canada
Pediatr Res 63:176-81. 2008Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) complicates the hospital course of premature infants...
- Ductus arteriosus aneurysm with community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection and spontaneous rupture: a potentially fatal quandaryAudra Stewart
Cardiology Division, Department of Pediatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
Pediatrics 117:e1259-62. 2006..Comprehensive evaluation discovered a ductus arteriosus aneurysm and pericardial effusion with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia...
- Role of store-operated calcium channels and calcium sensitization in normoxic contraction of the ductus arteriosusZhigang Hong
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center and University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Circulation 114:1372-9. 2006At birth, the increase in oxygen causes contraction of the ductus arteriosus, thus diverting blood flow to the lungs...
- Challenges encountered during closure of patent ductus arteriosusP Ewert
Department of Congenital Heart Diseases, German Heart Institute Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Cardiol 26:224-9. 2005Transcatheter closure of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) was one of the first interventions established in invasive cardiology and is now more than 30 years old...
- Increased constriction of the ductus arteriosus by dexamethasone, indomethacin, and rofecoxib in fetal ratsTakeshi Takami
Department of Pediatrics, Tokyo Medical University, Japan
Circ J 69:354-8. 2005To find a better treatment for patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in premature infants, the present study investigated the synergism of clinical doses of dexamethasone, indomethacin, and rofecoxib, a selective cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) ..
- Oxygen activates the Rho/Rho-kinase pathway and induces RhoB and ROCK-1 expression in human and rabbit ductus arteriosus by increasing mitochondria-derived reactive oxygen species: a newly recognized mechanism for sustaining ductal constrictionHidemi Kajimoto
Vascular Biology Group, Alberta Cardiovascular and Stroke Research Centre ABACUS, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Circulation 115:1777-88. 2007Constriction of the ductus arteriosus (DA) is initiated at birth by inhibition of O2-sensitive K+ channels in DA smooth muscle cells...
- Oxygen-sensitive Kv channel gene transfer confers oxygen responsiveness to preterm rabbit and remodeled human ductus arteriosus: implications for infants with patent ductus arteriosusBernard Thebaud
Vascular Biology Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 110:1372-9. 2004..At birth, initial functional closure of the ductus arteriosus (DA) results from O2-induced vasoconstriction...
- Developmental changes in the effects of prostaglandin E2 in the chicken ductus arteriosusPia Agren
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Center, Research Institute Growth and Development GROW, University Hospital Maastricht, P Debyelaan 25, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Comp Physiol B 179:133-43. 2009Prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) is the major vasodilator prostanoid of the mammalian ductus arteriosus (DA)...
- Mechanisms mediating the oxygen-induced vasoreactivity of the ductus arteriosus in the chicken embryoHenry Greyner
Department of Biological Science, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas 76203 5017, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1647-59. 2008The avian embryo provides a novel model for studying the ductus arteriosus (DA) during the transition from in ovo to ex ovo life...
- [Aneurysm of the diverticulum of the ductus arteriosus in the adult with left pneumonectomy; report of a case]T Jinno
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kagawa Prefectural Central Hospital, Takamatsu, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:803-6. 2002..Chest computed tomography (CT) scan and aortogram indicated a diagnosis of aneurysm of diverticulum of the ductus arteriosus. Aneurysm of the diverticulum of the ductus arteriosus in the adult is rare...
- Metabolism of PGE2 by prostaglandin dehydrogenase is essential for remodeling the ductus arteriosusKenneth G Coggins
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Nat Med 8:91-2. 2002
- Dynamic changes in the direction of blood flow through the ductus arteriosus at birthKelly J Crossley
Department of Physiology, PO Box 13F, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
J Physiol 587:4695-704. 2009..Major cardiovascular changes occur at birth, including increased pulmonary blood flow (PBF) and closure of the ductus arteriosus (DA), which acts as a low resistance shunt between the fetal pulmonary and systemic circulations...
- O2 sensing in the human ductus arteriosus: regulation of voltage-gated K+ channels in smooth muscle cells by a mitochondrial redox sensorEvangelos D Michelakis
Cardiology Division and the Vascular Biology Group, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Circ Res 91:478-86. 2002Functional closure of the human ductus arteriosus (DA) is initiated within minutes of birth by O2 constriction. It occurs by an incompletely understood mechanism that is intrinsic to the DA smooth muscle cell (DASMC)...
- Ibuprofen pharmacokinetics in preterm infants with patent ductus arteriosusB Van Overmeire
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstreet 10, B2650 Edegem, Belgium
Clin Pharmacol Ther 70:336-43. 2001OBJECTIVE: Our objective was to study the pharmacokinetics of ibuprofen in premature infants with patent ductus arteriosus on day 3 and day 5 after birth...
- Morphological and functional alterations of the ductus arteriosus in a chicken model of hypoxia-induced fetal growth retardationSaskia Van der Sterren
Department of Pediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 65:279-84. 2009..with intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) develop are hypothesized to alter the development of the ductus arteriosus (DA). We aimed to evaluate the effects of in ovo hypoxia on chicken DA morphometry and reactivity...
- Maturation of O2 sensing and signaling in the chicken ductus arteriosusAngel l Cogolludo
Dept of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Universidad Complutense Madrid, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 297:L619-30. 2009The increase in O(2) tension after birth is a major factor stimulating ductus arteriosus (DA) constriction and closure...
- Patent ductus arteriosusDouglas J Schneider
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, and Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Children s Hospital of Illinois, 420 NE Glen Oak Ave, Suite 304, Peoria, IL 61603, USA
Circulation 114:1873-82. 2006
- The paradoxical patent ductus arteriosusKathryn N Ivey
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Clin Invest 116:2863-5. 2006The ductus arteriosus (DA) is a vessel whose patency is required for fetal survival but is incompatible with postnatal life...
- Prenatal constriction of the fetal ductus arteriosus--related to maternal pain medication?B Schiessl
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Fetal Medicine Unit, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
Z Geburtshilfe Neonatol 209:65-8. 2005Physiological fetal circulation requires patency of the ductus arteriosus. As gestation proceeds, the sensitivity of the ductus to dilating prostaglandins diminishes...
- In vivo dilatation of the fetal and postnatal ductus arteriosus by inhibition of phosphodiesterase 3 in ratsKatsuaki Toyoshima
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Neonate 89:251-6. 2006Clinically, it appears that phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE 3) inhibitors, which are used for acute cardiac failure in premature infants, dilate the ductus arteriosus (DA).
- In utero indomethacin alters O2 delivery to the fetal ductus arteriosus: implications for postnatal patencySeth H Goldbarg
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0544, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R184-90. 2002Indomethacin produces constriction and hypoxia of the fetal ductus arteriosus. This is associated with death of smooth muscle cells in the ductus wall and an increased incidence of patent ductus arteriosus in the newborn period...
- Treatment of an aneurysmal dilatation of the ductus arteriosus with indomethacin in a premature infantC Doege
Abteilung IV, Neontaologie, Universitätsklinik für Kinder und Jugendmeizin, Im Neuenheimer Feld 153, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Pediatr Cardiol 27:166-7. 2006A large ductus arteriosus aneurysm can lead to potentially serious and life-threatening complications...
- Betamethasone attenuates oxidant stress in endothelial cells from fetal lambs with persistent pulmonary hypertensionIndira Chandrasekar
Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201, USA
Pediatr Res 63:67-72. 2008..Betamethasone reversed the increased superoxide/decreased cGMP levels and restored Hsp90-eNOS interactions in PPHN. Betamethasone reduces oxidative stress and improves response of pulmonary arteries to vasodilators in lambs with PPHN...
- Effects of hypoxia, hypoglycemia, and muscle shortening on cell death in the sheep ductus arteriosusSeth Goldbarg
Box 0544, HSE 1492, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0544, U S A
Pediatr Res 54:204-11. 2003After birth, constriction of the full-term ductus arteriosus produces ischemic hypoxia, caspase activation, DNA fragmentation (>70% of cell nuclei are positive by the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase nick-end labeling [TUNEL] ..
- A proposal of new therapeutic strategy for antenatally diagnosed congenital diaphragmatic herniaNoboru Inamura
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Osaka 594 1101, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 40:1315-9. 2005..The authors reviewed their new therapeutic strategy of ADCDH from a viewpoint of cardiologic function...
- The effect of ductal diameter on surgical and medical closure of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm neonates: size mattersScott Tschuppert
Division of Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery, University Children s Hospital, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:78-82. 2008We sought to analyze the effect of patent ductus arteriosus diameter on treatment success in premature neonates.
- Fetal echocardiographic diagnosis of isolated ductus arteriosus aneurysm: a longitudinal study from 32 weeks of gestation to termJ J Tseng
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 26:50-6. 2005To investigate the echocardiographic characteristics of isolated fetal ductus arteriosus aneurysm (DAA) and the factors influencing its development.
- Combined treatment with a nonselective nitric oxide synthase inhibitor (l-NMMA) and indomethacin increases ductus constriction in extremely premature newbornsRoberta L Keller
Department of Pediatrics, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Pharmacy, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Pediatr Res 58:1216-21. 2005Studies in premature animals suggest that 1) prolonged tight constriction of the ductus arteriosus is necessary for permanent anatomic closure and 2) endogenous nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandins both play a role in ductus patency...
- Inhibition of 20-HETE abolishes the myogenic response during NOS antagonism in the ovine fetal pulmonary circulationThomas A Parker
Pediatric Heart Lung Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 289:L261-7. 2005..inhibitor of 20-HETE production, on the pulmonary vasoconstriction caused by acute compression of the ductus arteriosus (DA) in chronically prepared fetal sheep...
- Gene expression in ductus arteriosus and aorta: comparison of birth and oxygen effectsMario Costa
Institute of Neuroscience, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Pisa, Italy
Physiol Genomics 25:250-62. 2006b>Ductus arteriosus (DA) closure is initiated by oxygen rise postnatally and progresses in two, functional-to-permanent, stages...
- Effects of phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor on pulmonary vascular reactivity in the fetal lambSophie Jaillard
Department of Surgery, Polyclinique du Bois, Lille, France
Ann Thorac Surg 81:935-42. 2006..Sildenafil is a selective phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE5) inhibitor. The purpose of the study is to assess the effects of sildenafil on pulmonary vascular circulation during the perinatal period...
- The prostaglandin receptor EP4 triggers remodelling of the cardiovascular system at birthM Nguyen
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7248, USA
Nature 390:78-81. 1997Survival of newborn placental mammals depends on closure of the ductus arteriosus (DA), an arterial connection in the fetus which directs blood away from the pulmonary circulation and towards the placenta where oxygenation occurs...
- [Spontaneus ductal closure in a fetus postnatally diagnosed as Adams-Olivier syndrome]Agata Włoch
Oddzial Kliniczny Połoznictwa i Ginekologii, Slaska Akademia Medyczna
Ginekol Pol 77:629-33. 2006..Premature ductal closure was diagnosed. Fetal echocardiogram showed absent flow in the ductus arteriosus, dilated right ventricle with decreased function, and moderate tricuspid and pulmonary valve insufficiency ..
- Premature closure of the ductus arteriosus: variable response among monozygotic twins after in utero exposure to indomethacinBahig M Shehata
Children s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Fetal Pediatr Pathol 25:151-7. 2006..by administration of the drug to the mother may cause many side effects, including premature closure of the ductus arteriosus. Hypoxia is a predisposing factor for premature ductal closure and often occurs after maternal indomethacin ..
- The effects of indomethacin tocolysis on the postnatal response of the ductus arteriosus to indomethacin in extremely low birth weight infantsL Cordero
Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210 1228, USA
J Perinatol 27:22-7. 2007Antenal indomethacin reportedly decreases the responses of a symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus (sPDA) to postnatal indomethacin treatment. Whether a similar exposure affects the responses to indomethacin prophylaxis is unknown.
- Changes in fetal cardiac geometry with gestation: implications for 3- and 4-dimensional fetal echocardiographyJimmy Espinoza
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Ultrasound Med 26:437-43; quiz 444. 2007..The objective of this study was to determine whether changes in fetal cardiac geometry occur during gestation...
- Function of cyclo-oxygenase-1 and cyclo-oxygenase-2 in the ductus arteriosus from foetal lamb: differential development and change by oxygen and endotoxinF Coceani
Integrative Biology Programme, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 132:241-51. 20011. Prenatal patency of the ductus arteriosus is maintained mainly by prostaglandin(PG) E(2)...
- Z-scores of the fetal aortic isthmus and duct: an aid to assessing arch hypoplasiaL Pasquini
Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Queen Charlotte s and Chelsea Hospital, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 29:628-33. 2007..The aim of our study was to develop Z-scores for the aortic isthmus in normal fetuses as a reference for fetuses with suspected coarctation...
- Prenatal demonstration of major aortopulmonary collateral arteries with tetralogy of Fallot and pulmonary atresiaSusumu Miyashita
Department of Perinatology, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Fetal Diagn Ther 19:100-5. 2004..Fetal echocardiography was essential for the diagnosis of TOF-PA, but further examination was needed to find collateral arteries, which provided useful information for management after birth...
- Characterization of PGE2 receptors in fetal and newborn lamb ductus arteriosusA Bouayad
Departments of Cardiology, Pediatrics, and Physiology, , Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H2342-9. 2001Although the role of PGE2 in maintaining ductus arteriosus (DA) patency is well established, the specific PGE2 receptor subtype(s) (EP) involved have not been clearly identified...
- The effects of caffeine on the preterm sheep ductus arteriosusRonald I Clyman
Cardiovascular Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Pediatr Res 62:167-9. 2007..randomly assigned to caffeine treatment had less need for pharmacologic and/or surgical closure of a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)...
- Morphological changes in the chicken ductus arteriosi during closure at hatchingCandace Belanger
Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas 76203, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:1007-15. 2008..The distal portion remained unresponsive to oxygen throughout hatching. In conclusion, the chicken DA begins to close during external pipping when arterial Po(2) increases and vessel tone is most sensitive to oxygen...
- Aneurysmal dilatation of the ductus arteriosus in a neonateB L Siu
The Lillie Frank Abercrombie Division of Pediatric Cardiology and Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 22:403-5. 2001..We report a case of aneurysmal dilatation of a patent ductus arteriosus detected in utero and subsequently confirmed by transthoracic echocardiography in the neonatal period...
- [Prenatal tolerability evaluation of diclofenac]Piotr Przybylski
Akademia Medyczna w Lublinie, Pracownia Teratologii Doświadczalnej Katedry i Zakładu Anatomii Prawidłowej Człowieka
Pol Merkur Lekarski 22:229-32. 2007..However, intrauterine growth retardation, constriction of ductus arteriosus, fetal anuria, oligohydramnions and other prostanoid-related side-effects were already reported...
- Severe ductal constriction in the third-trimester fetus following maternal self-medication with nimesulideD Paladini
Fetal Cardiology Unit, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:357-61. 2005This was a multicenter series of 10 cases of constriction of the fetal ductus arteriosus occurring after maternal ingestion of one or two oral doses of nimesulide, which led to emergency delivery in four cases.
- A double-blind randomized study of fetal side effects during and after the short-term maternal administration of indomethacin, sulindac, and nimesulide for the treatment of preterm laborRobert J Sawdy
Imperial College School of Medicine, Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Queen Charlotte s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:1046-51. 2003..The purpose of this study was to establish whether nimesulide causes fewer fetal side effects than indomethacin or sulindac after short-term maternal exposure for tocolysis...
- The 'spin' technique: a new method for examination of the fetal outflow tracts using three-dimensional ultrasoundG R DeVore
Fetal Diagnostic Center of Pasadena, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 24:72-82. 2004....
- Prenatal detection of ductal-dependent congenital heart disease: how can things be made easier?F Vinals
Ultrasound Department, Clínica Sanatorio Alemán, Concepcion, Chile
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 19:246-9. 2002..detection of ductal dependence in fetuses with severe anomalies of the outflow tracts by observing, with directional power Doppler, reverse flow through the aortic arch or ductus arteriosus in a transverse view of the upper mediastinum.
- Factors associated with permanent closure of the ductus arteriosus: a role for prolonged indomethacin therapyDolores Quinn
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0544, USA
Pediatrics 110:e10. 2002The most important factor determining anatomic remodeling and permanent closure of the ductus arteriosus is the degree of ductus constriction after indomethacin treatment...
- Echo-Doppler ultrasonographic assessment of resistance and velocity of blood flow in the ductus venosus throughout gestation in fetal lambsM Panarace
GOYAIKE S A A C I y F Biotechnology Area, Ea San Joaquín CC, Carmen de Areco CP, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Theriogenology 70:648-54. 2008..4+/-8.8cm/s to 104.9+/-19.7 and aV from 24.8+/-6.9 to 54.9+/-5.9; P<0.05). In conclusion, Doppler ultrasonography facilitated assessment of the blood flow pattern in the ductus venosus in lamb fetuses between Days 52 and 143...
- Reference values for ductus venosus Doppler flow measurements at 10-14 weeks of gestationF Prefumo
U O di Ostetricia e Ginecologia, Istituto G Gaslini, University of Genova, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 20:42-6. 2002..To calculate reference ranges for ductus venosus Doppler measurements obtained transabdominally at 10-14 weeks of gestation...
- Increased nuchal translucency and pathological ductus venosus flow: two cases of TRAP sequence with different outcomesH Meyberg
Praxis für pränatale Dianostik und feto maternale Medizin, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 20:72-4. 2002..In these cases the increased nuchal translucency thickness and the pathological ductus venosus flow pattern may have been prognostic of the pregnancy outcome...
- The effect of ductal diameter on surgical and medical closure of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm neonatesAlessandro Giardini
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:240; author reply 240. 2008
- Re: Fetal aortic isthmus growth and morphology in late gestationJ S Carvalho
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 20:100-1; author reply 101. 2002
- REGULATION OF PULMONARY CIRCULATION IN FETUS AND NEWBORNGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies will be done in PAEC and pulmonary arteries harvested from lambs with prenatal ligation of ductus arteriosus (PPHN) and in sham ligation controls...
- GI-Safer Formulation of Indomethacin for use in Preterm NeonatesUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..feeding and the use of indomethacin, the standard of care to treat and/or prevent the development of Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA)...
- Antenatal betamethasone for persistent pulmonary hypertension of newbornGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2010..Studies will be done in lambs with prenatal ligation of ductus arteriosus to induce PPHN. Pregnant ewes will be randomly assigned to receive betamethasone or saline...
- GI-Safer Formulation of Indomethacin for use in Preterm NeonatesUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..feeding and the use of indomethacin, the standard of care to treat and/or prevent the development of Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA), a condition which results in the circulation short-circuiting the pulmonary vasculature, leading to ..
- Bifunctional Redox Agent for the Treatment of PPHNGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..vascular resistance after birth diverts pulmonary blood flow via a right-to-left shunt, at the levels of the ductus arteriosus and foramen ovale, into the systemic circulation...
- Role of natriuretic peptides in the ductus arteriosusJOHN JEFFREY REESE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infants with patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) have increased ANP and BNP levels due to cardiac overload...
- Myocardin Related Transcription Factor Function in the VasculatureMichael S Parmacek; Fiscal Year: 2013..genes, iii) mice in which the myocardin gene is ablated in neural crest-derived SMCs exhibit patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) resulting from a block in SMC differentiation, iv) myocardin-deficient primary aortic SMCs assume a ..
- O2 sensing in the human and rabbit ductus arteriosus.Stephen L Archer; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The ductus arteriosus (DA) is a fetal artery that allows blood ejected from the right ventricle to bypass the pulmonary circulation in utero...
- Genes contributing to patent ductus arteriosus susceptibility in preterm newbornsRonald I Clyman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In full term infants, constriction of the ductus arteriosus and obliteration of its lumen separates the pulmonary and systemic circulations...
- Neurodevelopmental Outcomes in Infants with HLHS after Hybrid Stage I PalliationSharon L Hill; Fiscal Year: 2011..After the Hybrid procedure, cerebral perfusion is dependent upon the blood flow through the stented patent ductus arteriosus and retrograde aortic arch flow to the carotid arteries, similar to fetal life, for approximately 6 months ..
- Mechanism of Renal Prostaglandin TransportVictor L Schuster; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mice in which we have globally disrupted PGT gene expression die on post-natal day 1 from patent ductus arteriosus. In contrast, mice in which we have selectively deleted PGT from the collecting duct excrete dilute urine, ..
- Removable Stents for Neonates with Cyanotic Congenital Heart Disease(CCHD)JAMES HUNTER GOLDIE; Fiscal Year: 2013..A promising alternative treatment calls for placing a stent in te patent ductus arteriosus (PDA), in order to delay definitive repair until the child is older and wil have a lower risk...
- Advanced Source Reconstruction Techniques for Fetal MagnetocardiographyMihai Popescu; Fiscal Year: 2009..g. intra-uterine growth retardation, diabetes, pulmonary valve and aortic stenosis, closure of the ductus arteriosus, tetralogy of Fallot, or ventricular septal defect...
- ETIOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT OF CONGENITAL HEART DISEASESDonald Patterson; Fiscal Year: 1999..underlying two hereditary forms of congenital heart disease: Conotruncal defects (CTDs) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)...
- REPRODUCTION AND SURVIVAL AFTER CARDIAC DEFECT REPAIRCynthia Morris; Fiscal Year: 1991..TOF), coarctation of the aorta, aortic stenosis (AS), transposition of the great arteries (TGA), and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)...
- FAMILIAL PATENT DUCTUS ARTERIOSUSBruce Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2004..Verbatim from Applicant's Abstract): Char syndrome is an inherited heart-hand disorder comprising patent ductus arteriosus (PDA), abnormal 5th fingers, and facial dysmorphism...
- TRANSLUMINAL ANGIOPLASTY-CONVENITAL HEART DISEASEJames Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1990..In addition, stents will be evaluated as a means of maintaining patency of the ductus arteriosus. In the last project, the application of fixed diameter angioplasty balloon dilataion procedures for atrial ..
- TGFb and Cardiac Neural Crest Cell Fate and FunctionHenry Sucov; Fiscal Year: 2009..aortic arch (IAA- B);later in gestation, the elastic matrix of the neural crest-derived vessel wall of the ductus arteriosus becomes disorganized, leading to vessel wall dilation (aneurysm)...
- The Genetic Etiology of Patent Ductus ArteriosusArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2006..One dramatic example of vascular remodeling is the rapid closure of the ductus arteriosus following birth...
- VASCULAR REMODELING: THE DUCTUS ARTERIOSUS MODELBeverly Koller; Fiscal Year: 2004..In this proposal, we focus on the ductus arteriosus (DA) as a model for studying the role of prostanoids in vascular remodeling...
- SCOR: RESPIRATORY DISORDERS OF NEONATES AND CHILDRENWILLIAM TOOLEY; Fiscal Year: 1991..into the lung and postnatal lung fluid clearance; d) to demonstrate the mechanism of closure of the ductus arteriosus particularly in relation to PGE2, asphyxia and administration of glucocorticoids and determine if ductal ..
- ETIOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT OF CONGENITAL HEART DISEASEPaula Henthorn; Fiscal Year: 2006..The common anatomic forms of CHD include conotruncal defects (CTD) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)...
- Laser Microdissection SystemEric Olson; Fiscal Year: 2004..transcription factors (Srivastava); (6) Compare gene expression in the specialized smooth muscle of the ductus arteriosus to the adjacent aortic smooth muscle (Srivastava); (7) Identification of transcription factors that ..
- ROLE OF ENDOTHELIN IN PERINATAL PULMONARY VASOREGULATIONDAVID IVY; Fiscal Year: 2002..ET-1) in the normal fetal lung and in a model of pulmonary hypertension caused by in utero ligation of the ductus arteriosus. He has extensive experience in whole animal physiology, but only beginning training in molecular biology...
- DEVELOPMENT OF SUSTAINED PULMONARY HYPERTENSION AT BIRTHFREDERICK MORIN; Fiscal Year: 1992..The applicant has shown that ligating the ductus arteriosus several days before birth, increases pressure and flow in the fetal pulmonary circulation, causing ..
- Vessel Remodeling During Ductus Arteriosus ClosureRonald I Clyman; Fiscal Year: 2010In the full term neonate, the ductus arteriosus (DA) constricts rapidly after delivery in order to separate the pulmonary from systemic circulations. In the premature infant, the DA frequently remains open after birth...
- PROSTAGLANDIN SIGNALING IN FEMALE REPRODUCTIONJohn Reese; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these experiments will enhance the understanding of maternal-fetal PG signaling, and are likely to provide new insights into premature or dysfunctional labor in women. ..
- Mechanisms of Ductus Arteriosus RegulationJOHN JEFFREY REESE; Fiscal Year: 2010Vascular transition at birth is dependent on relaxation of the pulmonary vasculature and constriction of the ductus arteriosus (DA), which occur soon after delivery...
- Role of VEGF in Neonatal Pulmonary HypertensionTheresa Grover; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide an integrated approach to the hypothesis, incorporating whole animal physiology coupled with molecular and cellular studies. ..
- Opposing Effects of pO2 on SOCs in Smooth Muscle CellsEdward Weir; Fiscal Year: 2008The ductus arteriosus (DA) is dilated in the hypoxic environment of the developing fetus. At birth the DA constricts in response to normoxia. In contrast, the pulmonary artery (PA) is dilated in normoxia and constricts in hypoxia...
- Aerosolized PGE1 in Neonatal Pulmonary HypertensionBEENA SOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..medications I newborn, pulmonary biology, and pharmacologic manipulation of the pulmonary vasculature and ductus arteriosus. The candidate has been actively involved in research during her fellowship training...
- Schizophrenia Predisposition in 22q11 Deletion SyndromeVandana Shashi; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PHONATION AND PHONATORY CONTROL IN VOCAL TREMORSMarshall Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..The experimental phase consists of studies of neuromuscular and respiratory input to the larynx. This information about vocal tremor will be applied to model simulations with the use of physiological signals as input model parameters. ..
- Pediatric Cardiac Procedures: Access, Rates and OutcomesDarryl Gray; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will address such concerns in the increasingly important but as yet understudied realm of pediatric cardiac interventions. ..
- Closure of the Primate Ductus ArteriosusRonald Clyman; Fiscal Year: 2006In the premature infant, the ductus arteriosus frequently remains open for many days after birth. As many as 70% of newborns delivered prior to 28 weeks gestation will require some form of therapy to close their patent ductus...
- VEGF and Nitric Oxide in Lung Vascular DevelopmentVivek Balasubramaniam; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, Dr. Balasubramaniam will continue to work with Dr. Charles Plopper (UC Davis) to learn more sophisticated techniques of morphometric analysis. ..
- Angiogenic Agents and Alveolar InjuryVineet Bhandari; Fiscal Year: 2007..Determine the differences and the degree to which the response to hyperoxia-induced acute lung injury differs in adult, newborn and fetal mice with regard to VEGF, Angiopoietin 1 and Angiopoietin 2. ..
- Bilirubin-induced Auditory Neuropathy in PretermsSANJIV AMIN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Electrode Array Reanimation of the Paralyzed LarynxMarshall Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..Nerve samples will be harvested and studied to examine the effects of the implanted array on RLN fibers. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Metabolism-excitation coupling in the heartColin Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..The work will provide information that will ultimately underlie the development of rational therapies for the treatment of cardiac ischemia and arrhythmias. ..
- Calorie Restriction Effects on Chromosomal AberrationsCHARLEEN MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will be essential in identifying potential mechanisms by which CR acts in cancer prevention and delay of the aging process in long-lived species such as the rhesus monkey and humans. ..
- SIGNALING OF MECHANICAL STRAIN IN LUNG EPITHELIAL CELLSPatricia Chess; Fiscal Year: 2003..The project is designed to optimize the principle investigator's research development, while yielding information regarding pulmonary epithelial responses to mechanical strain. ..
- Safe Pregnancy by Infectious Disease Control in KinshasaCarl Bose; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will also build upon, and augment, a burgeoning, multidisciplinary research and training program at the Kinshasa School of Public Health. ..