Genomes and Genes
Summary: A short thick vein formed by union of the superior mesenteric vein and the splenic vein.
Publications358 found, 100 shown here
- Complications of congenital portosystemic shunts in children: therapeutic options and outcomesStephanie Franchi-Abella
Radiologie Pédiatrique, Hopital Bicetre, APHP, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:322-30. 2010..Their management is controversial. The aim of this study was to propose a clear definition of the risks and management of congenital portosystemic shunts in children according to our experience and a review of the literature...
- Radiotherapy plus transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma invading the portal vein: long-term patient outcomesSang Min Yoon
Department of Radiation Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:2004-11. 2012We have evaluated the clinical outcomes of patients after transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) and 3-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein tumor thrombosis (PVTT).
- Detection of hepatic portal venous gas: its clinical impact and outcomeSebastian T Schindera
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital of Bern, Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Emerg Radiol 12:164-70. 2006..CT is superior to CT scanograms and radiographs in the detection of HPVG and its underlying diseases and, therefore, should be used as the primary diagnostic tool...
- Distinct effects of voltage- and store-dependent calcium influx on stretch-induced differentiation and growth in vascular smooth muscleJingli Ren
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 285:31829-39. 2010..Stretch-stimulated expression of contractile and cytoskeletal proteins in mouse portal vein was inhibited at mRNA and protein levels by blockade of voltage-dependent Ca(2+) entry (VDCE)...
- Differential dependence of stretch and shear stress signaling on caveolin-1 in the vascular wallSebastian Albinsson
Vascular Physiology Group, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, BMC D12, Lund SE 221 84, Sweden
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C271-9. 2008..In conclusion, caveolin 1 contributes to low basal ERK1/2 and Akt activity and is required for Akt-dependent signals in response to shear stress (flow) but is not essential for trophic effects of stretch (pressure) in the vascular wall...
- Transarterial chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombosis: a prospective comparative studyJun Luo
Department of Hepatobiliary Oncology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Ann Surg Oncol 18:413-20. 2011For patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein tumor thrombosis (PVTT), the survival benefit of transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) compared with conservative treatment largely remains controversial...
- Portal vein thrombi after restorative proctocolectomyFeza H Remzi
Departments of Colorectal Surgery Radiology and Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Surgery 132:655-61; discussion 661-2. 2002..This study was undertaken to investigate the clinical presentation and implications of portal vein thrombi (PVT).
- Combined portal vein embolization and neoadjuvant chemotherapy as a treatment strategy for resectable hepatic colorectal metastasesAnne M Covey
Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Ann Surg 247:451-5. 2008The objectives of this study are 1) to determine whether the future liver remnant will grow after portal vein embolization (PVE) in patients with colon cancer on concurrent chemotherapy and 2) to determine whether recovery after extended ..
- Portomesenteric venous thrombosis after laparoscopic surgery: a systematic literature reviewAaron W James
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0790, USA
Arch Surg 144:520-6. 2009....
- Portal vein entrance of splenic erythrocytic progenitor cells and local hypoxia of liver, two events cause intrahepatic splenosisChing Ming Kwok
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Cheng Hsin Rehabilitation Medical Center, No 45, Cheng Hsin Street, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Med Hypotheses 67:1330-2. 2006..that the two events caused the occurrence of the intrahepatic splenosis, the migration of the erythrocytic progenitor cells via the portal vein following traumatic splenic rupture, and the local induction of erythropoiesis by hypoxia.
- Comparison of the portal vein and kidney subcapsule as sites for primate islet autotransplantationAmer Rajab
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cell Transplant 17:1015-23. 2008To date, the portal vein has been the primary site for clinical islet transplantation. Despite success, potential complications such as portal vein thrombosis still exist...
- Portal vein thrombi after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: its incidence and association with pouchitisChad G Ball
Department of Surgery, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29 Street N W, Calgary, AB, T2N 2T9, Canada
Surg Today 37:552-7. 2007b>Portal vein thrombi (PVT) have recently been linked to ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA). We assessed the rate of PVT in patients who underwent IPAA and attempted to identify the associated features.
- Inherited liver shunts in dogs elucidate pathways regulating embryonic development and clinical disorders of the portal veinFrank G van Steenbeek
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 104, PO Box 80154, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mamm Genome 23:76-84. 2012..In both subtypes the development of the smaller branches of the portal vein tree in the liver is impaired and terminal branches delivering portal blood to the liver lobules are often ..
- Congenital extrahepatic portosystemic shunts (Abernethy malformation): a histopathologic evaluationMikhail Lisovsky
Department of Pathology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1381-90. 2011..Abernethy malformation may also be associated with hepatocellular carcinoma and focal nodular hyperplasia in some patients...
- Portal vein thrombosis and survival in patients with cirrhosisMichael J Englesbe
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Liver Transpl 16:83-90. 2010The effects of occlusive portal vein thrombosis (PVT) on the survival of patients with cirrhosis are unknown. This was a retrospective cohort study at a single center. The main exposure variable was the presence of occlusive PVT...
- Interactions between apelin and angiotensin II on rat portal veinBogdan Gurzu
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Gr T Popa, 16 Universitatii Str, RO 700115 Iasi, Romania
J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 7:212-6. 2006..The experiments were performed in endothelium-denuded or endothelium-intact rat portal vein in the presence of 10 microM N(G)-nitro L-arginine methyl ester or 10 microM aminoguanidine...
- Single center experience of 39 patients with preoperative portal vein thrombosis among 404 adult living donor liver transplantationsHiroto Egawa
Organ Transplant Unit, Department of Transplant Surgery, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Liver Transpl 12:1512-8. 2006Living donor liver transplantation (LDLT) for patients with portal vein thrombosis (PVT) involves technical difficulty...
- Major hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma with or without portal vein embolization: Perioperative outcome and survivalMartin Palavecino
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
Surgery 145:399-405. 2009Preoperative portal vein embolization (PVE) is performed to minimize perioperative risks of major hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), but its effects on tumor growth are ill defined...
- Diagnostic value of Doppler assessment of the hepatic and portal vessels and ultrasound of the spleen in liver diseaseJohn O'Donohue
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:147-55. 2004....
- Pilot clinical trial of localized concurrent chemoradiation therapy for locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosisKwang Hyub Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei Liver Cancer Special Clinic, Yonsei Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Cancer 113:995-1003. 2008Patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein thrombosis (PVT) have a particularly grave prognosis...
- Patency of stents covered with polytetrafluoroethylene in patients treated by transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts: long-term results of a randomized multicentre studyChristophe Bureau
Federation Digestive Purpan, Service Hepato Gastro Enterologie CHU Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Liver Int 27:742-7. 2007..In patent shunts, the mean velocity within the portal vein was significantly higher but the performance of Doppler-US was not accurate enough to predict shunt dysfunction...
- Selection criteria for hepatectomy in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal vein tumor thrombusM Minagawa
Department of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Surg 233:379-84. 2001..SUMMARY BACKGROUND DATA: The presence of portal vein tumor thrombus in a patient with hepatocellular carcinoma is one of the most significant factors for a poor ..
- Elevated portal vein drug levels of sirolimus and tacrolimus in islet transplant recipients: local immunosuppression or islet toxicity?Niraj M Desai
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Transplantation 76:1623-5. 2003..This protocol provided a unique opportunity to measure sirolimus and tacrolimus levels from the portal vein and compare them to systemic venous levels...
- Safety and efficacy of 90Y radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with and without portal vein thrombosisLaura M Kulik
Department of Hepatology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Hepatology 47:71-81. 2008..data from a phase 2 study in which patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with and without portal vein thrombosis underwent radioembolization with Yttrium ((90)Y) microspheres...
- Portal venous gas detected by computed tomography: is surgery imperative?David A Iannitti
Department of Surgery, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI 02905, USA
Dig Surg 20:306-15. 2003b>Portal vein gas (PVG) has historically been associated with mortality rates of 75% or higher and mandatory abdominal exploration...
- Meta-analysis: the significance of screening for JAK2V617F mutation in Budd-Chiari syndrome and portal venous system thrombosisX Qi
Xijing Hospital of Digestive Diseases, Fourth Military Medical University, 15 West Changle Road, Xi an, China
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:1087-103. 2011..However, the prevalence of JAK2V617F mutation in such patients is substantially varied, and its association with development of myeloproliferative disorders (MPD) is deficiently identified...
- Comparison of coplanar and noncoplanar intensity-modulated radiation therapy and helical tomotherapy for hepatocellular carcinomaChen Hsi Hsieh
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, and Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Radiat Oncol 5:40. 2010To compare the differences in dose-volume data among coplanar intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), noncoplanar IMRT, and helical tomotherapy (HT) among patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and portal vein thrombosis (PVT).
- Extensive mesenteric vein and portal vein thrombosis successfully treated by thrombolysis and anticoagulationA Tateishi
Departments of Gastroenterology, Radiology and Surgical Oncology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:1429-33. 2001..Ultrasonography revealed moderate ascites, and there was minimal flow in the portal vein (PV) on the Doppler examination...
- Radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors: a new cause of benign portal venous gasTamara Oei
Department of Radiology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Radiology 237:709-17. 2005..To retrospectively describe and categorize the presence of portal venous gas (PVG) from radiofrequency (RF) ablation of hepatic tumors...
- The epidemiology and clinical features of portal vein thrombosis: a multicentre studyR Rajani
Department of Medicine, Ryhov Hospital, Jonkoping, Sweden
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32:1154-62. 2010Reliable epidemiological data for portal vein thrombosis are lacking.
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: anatomic and hemodynamic considerations in the hepatic artery and portal veinKwang Hun Lee
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Radiographics 22:1077-91. 2002..for evaluation of (a) the resectability and multiplicity of HCCs and (b) the hemodynamic status of the portal vein. Thereafter, TACE can be considered as the initial therapeutic modality...
- Portal vein thrombosis after laparoscopic splenectomy: the size of the riskEduard M Targarona
Service of General and Digestive Surgery, Hospital de Sant Pau, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Surg Innov 15:266-70. 2008b>Portal vein thrombosis (PVT) after splenectomy is a potentially life-threatening complication. Clinical symptoms may be insidious, and progression can lead to intestinal infarction and portal hypertension...
- Trans-ileocecal portal vein embolization as a preoperative treatment for right trisegmentectomy with caudate lobectomyTatsuo Shimura
Department of General Surgical Science Surgery I, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Surg Oncol 96:438-41. 2007The indication of preoperative portal vein embolization (PVE) has been expanded to hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocellular carcinoma (CCC), hepatic metastasis, and gallbladder (GB) cancer as well as hilar cholangiocarcinoma (hCC)...
- Radiotherapy after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal vein tumor thrombusSatoshi Ishikura
Radiation Oncology Division, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Am J Clin Oncol 25:189-93. 2002..TACE) is used in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma; however, it has limited effect on portal vein tumor thrombus (PVTT)...
- Histopathological and immunohistochemical investigations of hepatic lesions associated with congenital portosystemic shunt in dogsS Baade
Institute of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Comp Pathol 134:80-90. 2006..Postoperative biopsy samples showed basically the same lesions as those of pre-operative samples, except that signs of resolution of hepatic changes were apparent...
- Complete regression of locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma induced by sorafenib allowing curative resectionSabine Irtan
Department of HBP Surgery, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, University of Paris, Paris, France
Liver Int 31:740-3. 2011We report two cases of locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein tumour thrombosis (PVTT) who complete regression by sorafenib treatment allowed curative resection...
- Platelet administration via the portal vein promotes liver regeneration in rats after 70% hepatectomyRyota Matsuo
Department of Surgery, Advanced Biomedical Applications, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Ann Surg 253:759-63. 2011..This study examines the applicability of platelet infusion therapy for liver regeneration in vivo...
- Value of carbon dioxide wedged venography and transvenous liver biopsy in the definitive diagnosis of Abernethy malformationB Collard
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Abdom Imaging 31:315-9. 2006We report a 25-year-old man who presented with congenital absence of the portal vein, or Abernethy malformation, a rare congenital disorder in which the mesenteric and splenic venous drainages bypass the liver and directly drain into the ..
- Portal vein thrombosis, revisitedMassimo Primignani
IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli and Regina Elena Foundation, Milano, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 42:163-70. 2010..aims to discuss the aetiology, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnostic workup and management of portal vein thrombosis, either as a primary vascular liver disease in adults and children, or as a complication of liver ..
- Increase in future remnant liver function after preoperative portal vein embolizationW De Graaf
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 98:825-34. 2011Preoperative portal vein embolization (PVE) is performed in patients with insufficient future remnant liver (FRL) to allow safe resection...
- Safety and efficacy of anticoagulation therapy with low molecular weight heparin for portal vein thrombosis in patients with liver cirrhosisLucio Amitrano
Gastroenterology Unit, A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:448-51. 2010Treatment of portal vein thrombosis (PVT) in patients with liver cirrhosis is not well established.
- Chemotherapy does not impair hypertrophy of the left liver after right portal vein obstructionDiane Goere
Department of HPB Surgery, Hospital Beaujon, 100 Boulevard du General Leclerc, 92118 Clichy, France
J Gastrointest Surg 10:365-70. 2006..by both reducing tumor volume with preoperative chemotherapy and by increasing the future remnant liver with portal vein embolization...
- CT depiction of portal vein thrombi after creation of ileal pouch-anal anastomosisMark E Baker
Department of Radiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Radiology 227:73-9. 2003To determine the presence and location of portal vein thrombi in patients who have undergone ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) and who were scanned with computed tomography (CT).
- Hepatic artery and portal vein remodeling in rat liver: vascular response to selective cholangiocyte proliferationTatyana V Masyuk
Center for Basic Research in Digestive Diseases, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Medical School, Clinic, and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Pathol 162:1175-82. 2003Three-dimensional reconstruction of the biliary tree, hepatic artery, and portal vein in normal rats and rats fed alpha-naphthylisothiocyanate (ANIT), a compound that causes selective proliferation of epithelial cells (ie, cholangiocytes)..
- Successful living donor liver transplant in a child with Abernethy malformation with biliary atresia, ventricular septal defect and intrapulmonary shuntingAshish Singhal
Department of Surgical Gastroenterolgy and Liver Transplant, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Transplant 13:1041-7. 2009..CEPSh has been extensively discussed and all the published cases of liver transplantation for CEPSh were reviewed...
- Doppler ultrasonographic assessment of closure of the ductus venosus in neonatal Irish wolfhoundsC R Lamb
Department of Veterinary Clinical Studies, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hertfordshire AL9 7TA
Vet Rec 155:699-701. 2004..which appeared as a parallel-sided or cone-shaped vessel connecting a left-sided intrahepatic branch of the portal vein with a confluence of veins on the cranial aspect of the liver...
- Right portal vein ligation: a new planned two-step all-surgical approach for complete resection of primary gastrointestinal tumors with multiple bilateral liver metastasesReza Kianmanesh
Department of Hepato Biliary and Pancreas Surgery, Clichy, France
J Am Coll Surg 197:164-70. 2003
- Pylephlebitis of the portal vein complicating intragastric migration of an adjustable gastric bandArnaud De Roover
Department of Abdominal Surgery and Transplantation, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Obes Surg 16:369-71. 2006Pylephlebitis, or septic thrombophlebitis of the portal vein, is an infrequent but life-threatening complication of abdominal septic events...
- Hypoglycemic detection at the portal vein is mediated by capsaicin-sensitive primary sensory neuronsSatoshi Fujita
Department of Kinesiology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E96-E101. 2007To elucidate the type of spinal afferent involved in hypoglycemic detection at the portal vein, we considered the potential role of capsaicin-sensitive primary sensory neurons...
- Branching morphology of the rat hepatic portal vein tree: a micro-CT studyJorn Op den Buijs
Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 34:1420-8. 2006..The geometrical and fractal properties of the rat hepatic portal vein tree were investigated, with the aid of three-dimensional micro-computed tomography data...
- Portal vein thrombosis after intraportal hepatocytes transplantation in a liver transplant recipientUmberto Baccarani
Department of Surgery and Transplantation Unit, University Hospital Udine, Udine, Italy
Transpl Int 18:750-4. 2005..Herein we report for the first time a case of portal vein thrombosis after intraportal hepatocytes transplantation in a liver transplant recipient...
- Preoperative portal vein embolization for extended hepatectomyAlan W Hemming
Department of Surgery, Center for Hepatobiliary Disease, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Ann Surg 237:686-91; discussion 691-3. 2003To examine the authors' experience with preoperative ipsilateral portal vein embolization (PVE) and assess its role in extended hepatectomy.
- Epidemiologic factors associated with the anatomic location of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts in dogsUrsula Krotscheck
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Vet Surg 36:31-6. 2007..To determine whether breed, sex, country of origin, and age are associated with anatomic location of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (IHPSS) in dogs...
- Carnosine concentration of ingested meat affects carnosine net release into the portal vein of minipigsCaroline Bauchart
UMR1019 Unité de Nutrition Humaine, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Nutr 137:589-93. 2007..These results indicated that meat carnosine can be absorbed across the intestinal wall and that carnosine bioavailability depends on carnosine content of cooked meat...
- Influence of chemotherapy on liver regeneration induced by portal vein embolization or first hepatectomy of a staged procedure for colorectal liver metastasesKuniya Tanaka
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama City University, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
J Gastrointest Surg 14:359-68. 2010Although portal vein embolization (PVE) and staged hepatectomy (StHx), as well as prehepatectomy chemotherapy, have improved the resectability rate of patients with multiple bilobar colorectal liver metastases, the impact of ..
- Effect of portal vein embolisation on the growth rate of colorectal liver metastasesV Pamecha
Department of Hepato Pancreatico Biliary and Liver Transplant Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, University College London, London, UK
Br J Cancer 100:617-22. 2009b>Portal vein embolisation (PVE) is used to increase the remnant liver volume before major liver resection for colorectal metastases. The resection rate after PVE is 60-70%, mainly limited by disease progression...
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization vs. chemoinfusion for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with major portal vein thrombosisJ H Kim
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:1291-8. 2009..TACE) has been limited in palliative treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with major portal vein (PV) invasion due to the possibility of liver failure following embolization...
- Induction of tumor growth after preoperative portal vein embolization: is it a real problem?Wilmar de Graaf
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 16:423-30. 2009Although preoperative portal vein embolization (PVE) is an effective means to increase future remnant liver (FRL) volume, little has been published on possible adverse effects...
- Portal vein ligation as an efficient method of increasing the future liver remnant volume in the surgical treatment of colorectal metastasesLorenzo Capussotti
Divisione Chirurgia Oncologica, Istituto per la Ricerca e la Cura del Cancro, Strada Provinciale 142 km 3, 95, 10060 Candiolo, Italy
Arch Surg 143:978-82; discussion 982. 2008To compare the volumetric increase of segments 2 and 3, segment 4, and the caudate lobe after portal vein ligation (PVL) and portal vein embolization (PVE)...
- Biochemical correction of short-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency after portal vein injection of rAAV8-SCADStuart G Beattie
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Hum Gene Ther 19:579-88. 2008..hypothesized that these vectors would produce sufficient hepatocyte transduction (after administration via the portal vein) and thus sufficient SCAD enzyme to correct the phenotype observed in the SCAD-deficient (BALB/cByJ) mouse, ..
- Impact of portal vein embolization on long-term survival of patients with primarily unresectable colorectal liver metastasesD A Wicherts
Centre Hepato Biliaire, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Br J Surg 97:240-50. 2010b>Portal vein embolization (PVE) increases the resectability of initially unresectable colorectal liver metastases (CLM). This study evaluated long-term survival in patients with CLM who underwent hepatectomy following PVE.
- Congenital veno-venous malformations of the liver: widely variable clinical presentationsPeter Witters
Laboratory of Hepatology, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:e390-4. 2008..However, their clinical presentation is less dependent on the anatomical type...
- An aggressive approach leads to improved survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients with portal vein tumor thrombusDe Xin Lin
The Hepatobiliary Division, Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Wenzhou Medical College, 325000 Wenzhou, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 137:139-49. 2011Many physicians express a relatively nihilistic approach to the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein tumor thrombus (PVTT)...
- Endovascular placement of iodine-125 seed strand and stent combined with chemoembolization for treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with tumor thrombus in main portal veinJianjun Luo
Department of Radiology, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, No 180 Fenglin Road, Shanghai, CN 200032, China
J Vasc Interv Radiol 22:479-89. 2011To study the safety and feasibility of endovascular placement of an iodine-125 ((125)I) seed strand and stent combined with chemoembolization to treat hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with tumor thrombus in the main portal vein (MPV).
- Transarterial chemoembolization can be safely performed in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma invading the main portal vein and may improve the overall survivalGoh Eun Chung
Department of Internal Medicine, Gangnam Healthcare Center, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yungun Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Radiology 258:627-34. 2011To determine the efficacy and safety of transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and main portal vein (MPV) invasion.
- Captopril reduces portal pressure effectively in portal hypertensive patients with low portal venous velocitySoon Koo Baik
Department of Internal Medicine, Wonju Christian Hospital, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, 162 Ilsan dong, 220 701 Wonju, South Korea
J Gastroenterol 38:1150-4. 2003....
- Jagged1 in the portal vein mesenchyme regulates intrahepatic bile duct development: insights into Alagille syndromeJennifer J Hofmann
Molecular Biology Institute, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Development 137:4061-72. 2010..Here, we report that Jag1 inactivation in the portal vein mesenchyme (PVM), but not in the endothelium of mice, leads to the hepatic defects associated with AGS...
- Management and classification of type II congenital portosystemic shuntsTimothy B Lautz
Department of Surgery, Children s Memorial Hospital, Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Box 57, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Pediatr Surg 46:308-14. 2011..The indications for and benefits of repair of PSS remain incompletely understood. A more comprehensive classification may also benefit comparative analyses from different institutions...
- Management algorithm for pneumatosis intestinalis and portal venous gas: treatment and outcome of 88 consecutive casesErik Wayne
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:437-48. 2010..Computed tomography (CT) can identify PI/PVG in patients with ischemic emergencies and benign idiopathic conditions...
- Treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus by transplantation of islet cells plus bone marrow cells via portal vein in ratsKazuya Ikebukuro
First Department of Pathology, Kansai Medical University, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Transplantation 73:512-8. 2002..pancreatic islets (PIs) using sublethal irradiation (9 Gy) plus simultaneous transplantation of PIs and bone marrow cells (BMCs) via the portal vein (PV) followed by intravenous (i.v.) injection of donor BMCs (9 Gy + PV + i.v.).
- Review article: the modern management of portal vein thrombosisY Chawla
Department of Hepatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 30:881-94. 2009b>Portal vein thrombosis (PVT) is an important cause of portal hypertension. It may occur as such with or without associated cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Information on its management is scanty.
- Relating function to branching geometry: a micro-CT study of the hepatic artery, portal vein, and biliary treeTimothy L Kline
Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Physiological Imaging Research Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 194:431-42. 2011..tomography images, the hierarchical structure, interbranch segment lengths and diameters of a hepatic artery, a portal vein, and two biliary trees from intact rat liver lobes were characterized...
- Mechanism of liver regeneration after liver resection and portal vein embolization (ligation) is different?Seiki Tashiro
Tokushima University, Tokushima, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 16:292-9. 2009..b>Portal vein branch embolization and heat shock protein are then discussed...
- Portal vein thrombosis in a patient with HIV treated with a protease inhibitor-containing regimenP Soentjens
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 61:24-9. 2006..episodes of haematemesis over time, caused by ruptured oesophageal varices as a consequence of a portal vein thrombosis...
- Air trapping: The major factor limiting diaphragm mobility in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patientsWellington Pereira Dos Santos Yamaguti
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Respirology 13:138-44. 2008..This study evaluated the relationship between pulmonary function and diaphragm mobility, as well as that between respiratory muscle strength and diaphragm mobility, in COPD patients...
- Management of portal vein thrombosis in liver transplantation: influence on morbidity and mortalityLaura Llado
Department of Surgery, Liver Transplant Unit, H U Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Transplant 21:716-21. 2007Splanchnic thrombosis is a surgical challenge in liver transplantation (LT). The aim of this study was to analyze our experience in the management of portal vein thrombosis, and its influence on evolution.
- Reversibility of schistosomal periportal thickening/fibrosis after praziquantel therapy: a twenty-six month follow-up study in EthiopiaNega Berhe
Department of Infectious Diseases, Centre for Imported and Tropical Diseases, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:228-34. 2008..Resolution of PPT/F was significantly more frequent at a younger age, among seronegative for hepatitis B virus and among those with a lower frequency of post-treatment recurrence of S. mansoni infections...
- Pulmonary hypertension in patients with congenital portosystemic venous shunt: a previously unrecognized associationTakuro Ohno
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Pediatrics 121:e892-9. 2008..However, the contribution of congenital anomalies occurring in the portal system to the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension remains to be elucidated...
- Effects of prophylactic splenic artery modulation on portal overperfusion and liver regeneration in small-for-size graftYuzo Umeda
Department of Gastroenterological Transplant Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Shikata cho, Okayama City, Okayama, Japan
Transplantation 86:673-80. 2008..Various approaches for portal decompression have been used, but details of their impact on liver regeneration in SFS graft remain unclear. We examined the effect of prophylactic splenic artery modulation (SAM)...
- Reappraisal of repeated transarterial chemoembolization in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein invasionKang Mo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:806-14. 2009This study aimed to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of repeated transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) with additional radiation therapy (RT) in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein (PV) invasion.
- Is there any difference in survival according to the portal tumor thrombectomy method in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma?Yosuke Inoue
Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Surgery 145:9-19. 2009..We describe a surgical technique in which the venous wall is peeled off from the PVTT...
- Hepatic portal venous gas: the ABCs of managementAaron L Nelson
Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Arch Surg 144:575-81; discussion 581. 2009..While early studies were necessarily dependent on plain abdominal radiography, modern high-resolution CT has revealed a host of benign conditions in which HPVG has been reported that do not require emergent surgery...
- Prevalence of factor V Leiden mutation and other hereditary thrombophilic factors in Egyptian children with portal vein thrombosis: results of a single-center case-control studyHanaa El-Karaksy
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Ann Hematol 83:712-5. 2004No identifiable cause can be found in more than half of the cases of portal vein thrombosis (PVT)...
- Etiology and portal vein thrombosis in Budd-Chiari syndromeOguz Uskudar
Yayla Mah 1 cadde no 123 3, Kecioren, Ankara 06010, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 14:2858-62. 2008To research the etiology, portal vein thrombosis and other features of Budd-Chiari syndrome (BCS) patients prospectively.
- Clinical and laboratory predictors of esophageal varices in children and adolescents with portal hypertension syndromeEleonora Druve Tavares Fagundes
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 46:178-83. 2008..To determine the clinical and laboratory parameters that may predict the presence of esophageal varices in children and adolescents with portal hypertension...
- Factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene G20210A mutations are uncommon in portal vein thrombosis in IndiaSanjay Sharma
Department of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow 226 014, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:236-9. 2006Extra-hepatic portal vein obstruction due to portal vein thrombosis (PVT) is an important cause of portal hypertension in several regions including India. The cause of thrombosis in these patients remains unclear...
- Acute portal vein thrombosis unrelated to cirrhosis: a prospective multicenter follow-up studyAurelie Plessier
Service d Hepatologie, AP HP, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U773 and Université Denis Diderot Paris 7, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Hepatology 51:210-8. 2010Current recommendations for early anticoagulation in acute portal vein thrombosis unrelated to cirrhosis or malignancy are based on limited evidence...
- Portal vein thrombosis after hematopoietic cell transplantation: frequency, treatment and outcomeK Kikuchi
Gastroenterology Hepatology Section and the Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 29:329-33. 2002..We reviewed the records of 1847 consecutive patients for evidence of portal vein thrombosis. Eight patients (0.4%) developed portal vein thrombosis (PVT) at a median of day +28 (range 3-58)...
- Pancreatic islet transplantation using the nonhuman primate (rhesus) model predicts that the portal vein is superior to the celiac artery as the islet infusion siteBoaz Hirshberg
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Navy Transplantation and Autoimmunity Branch, NIH, Building 10 Rm 11S219, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 10889, USA
Diabetes 51:2135-40. 2002..would more safely and as effectively support long-term islet allograft survival compared with the traditional portal vein approach...
- A comparison of treatment combinations with and without radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein and/or inferior vena cava tumor thrombusZhao Chong Zeng
Radiation Oncology, Fudan University, Zhongshan Hospital, Shanghai 200032, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:432-43. 2005To evaluate the potential role of external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) in the treatment of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who have portal vein (PV) and/or inferior vena cava (IVC) tumor thrombi.
- Risk factors for thrombophilia in extrahepatic portal vein obstructionMassimo Primignani
Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Service, Department of Internal Medicine and Dermatology, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital and University of Milano, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 41:603-8. 2005Scant information exists on the role of thrombophilia in extrahepatic portal vein obstruction (EHPVO)...
- Portal vein embolisation prior to hepatic resection for colorectal liver metastases and the effects of periprocedure chemotherapyI K Beal
Department of Radiology, Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust and Royal Free, University College School of Medicine, London, UK
Br J Radiol 79:473-8. 2006b>Portal vein embolisation (PVE) is an effective method of increasing future liver remnant (FLR) but may stimulate tumour growth. The effect of periprocedure chemotherapy has not been established...
- Improved diagnosis of hepatic perfusion disorders: value of hepatic arterial phase imaging during helical CTS Quiroga
Department of Radiology and Institut de Diagnòstic per la Imatge, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Passeig Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Radiographics 21:65-81; questionnaire 288-94. 2001..By recognizing these perfusion disorders, false-positive diagnosis (hypervascular tumors) or overestimation of the size of liver tumors (eg, hepatocellular carcinoma) can be avoided...
- Sequential preoperative arterial and portal venous embolizations in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaTaku Aoki
Division of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic and Transplantation Surgery, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Surg 139:766-74. 2004..Sequential, preoperative, selective transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE) and portal vein embolization (PVE) allow feasible and safe major hepatic resections to be performed in HCC patients with ..
- Differential regulation of Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) currents in rabbit arterial and portal vein smooth muscle cells by Ca(2+)-calmodulin-dependent kinaseI A Greenwood
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
J Physiol 534:395-408. 2001..from smooth muscle cells isolated from rabbit pulmonary (PA) and coronary artery (CA) as well as rabbit portal vein (PV)...
- Portal vein embolization before major hepatectomy and its effects on regeneration, resectability and outcomeD Ribero
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Br J Surg 94:1386-94. 2007This study evaluated the safety of portal vein embolization (PVE), its impact on future liver remnant (FLR) volume and regeneration, and subsequent effects on outcome after liver resection.
- Portal vein embolization and autologous CD133+ bone marrow stem cells for liver regeneration: initial experienceGünter Fürst
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, Heinrich Heine University of Duesseldorf, Moorenstr 5, 40225 Duesseldorf, Germany
Radiology 243:171-9. 2007To prospectively evaluate the effectiveness of portal vein embolization (PVE) and CD133(+) bone marrow stem cell (BMSC) administration to the liver, compared with PVE alone, to augment hepatic regeneration in patients with large hepatic ..
- Three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for portal vein thrombosis of hepatocellular carcinomaDae Yong Kim
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Gyeonggi, Korea
Cancer 103:2419-26. 2005b>Portal vein thrombosis (PVT) is a common complication in patients with advanced-stage hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Action of niflumic acid on evoked and spontaneous calcium-activated chloride and potassium currents in smooth muscle cells from rabbit portal veinR C Hogg
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London
Br J Pharmacol 112:977-84. 1994..spontaneous and evoked calcium-activated chloride (ICl(Ca)) and potassium (IK(Ca)) currents in rabbit isolated portal vein cells. 2...
- Ultraselective transcatheter arterial chemoembolization with a 2-f tip microcatheter for small hepatocellular carcinomas: relationship between local tumor recurrence and visualization of the portal vein with iodized oilShiro Miyayama
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Fukuiken Saiseikai Hospital, 7 1 Funabashi, Wadanaka cho, Fukui 918 8503, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:365-76. 2007To retrospectively evaluate the relationship between local tumor recurrence and iodized oil deposition in the portal vein by using ultraselective transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE) for small hepatocellular carcinoma.
- A combination therapy with transarterial chemo-lipiodolization and systemic chemo-infusion for large extensive hepatocellular carcinoma invading portal vein in comparison with conservative managementJeong Won Jang
Division of Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpodong, Seocho Ku, 137 040, Seoul, South Korea
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 59:9-15. 2007Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) invading the portal vein is a medical challenge...
- SMOOTH MUSCLE MYOSIN PHOSPHATASE SUBUNIT ISOFORMSSteven A Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2013..E23 is spliced in smooth muscle tissues with fast (phasic) or intermediate contractile properties, e.g. portal vein and mesenteric resistance arteries, and skipped in the slow (tonic) smooth muscle of the large arteries and ..
- Gluconeogenesis and Glycogenolysis - Role and RegulationAlan D Cherrington; Fiscal Year: 2013..weeks before study catheters will be inserted under general anesthesia into the femoral artery, the hepatic portal vein and the hepatic vein, as well as in other vessels and sites as needed (splenic and jejunal veins, carotid and ..
- A Microfluidic-platform Mini-Liver System for Human Liver Biology StudiesHONGSEOK M NOH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The liver receives blood from the hepatic portal vein and the hepatic artery...
- Identifying a role for commensal bacteria on the liver immune priming environmentJean Publicover; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, blood from the mesenteric veins flows directly to the liver via the portal vein, allowing for the liver to be directly expose to bacterial products and potentially bacteria...
- Synergistic actions by multiple Toll-like receptors in alcoholic liver diseaseEkihiro Seki; Fiscal Year: 2013..intestinal permeability that leads to an elevation of endotoxin (lipopolysaccharide, LPS) levels in the portal vein. Increased endotoxin via the portal vein stimulates Kupffer cells through Toll-like receptor (TLR) 4, a ..
- Role of Bile Acids in the Initiation of Liver RegenerationWillscott E Naugler; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 2 a model of bile acid administration through the portal vein will allow the focused study of the effects of supraphysiolgic levels bile acids on the liver in the absence of ..
- The Role of Visceral Fatty Acids in Relation to Insulin ResistanceMichelle T Foster; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on our preliminary data, we have hypothesized that excess FA flux to the liver via the hepatic portal vein is a key factor, and that it can occur for different reasons...
- Effect of Lactoferrin on Alcohol-Induced Dysbiosis and Gut Barrier DysfunctionCynthia Ju; Fiscal Year: 2013..intestines despite alcohol consumption, and as a result, lactoferrin prevents the transfer of endotoxin to the portal vein, reduces endotoxemia, and attenuates ALD...
- Regulatory B cells in the liverSusan K Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2010..medications, and oral tolerance to dietary antigens can be abrogated by diversion of blood from the portal vein to the systemic circulation...
- REGULATION OF LIVER GROWTH AND FUNCTIONLeonard S Jefferson; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the gastrointestinal tract, affording it immediate access to the products of digestion appearing in the portal vein. The project also focuses on protein synthesis because the liver, in combination with the gastrointestinal ..
- PORPHYRIA AND HUMAN HEME BIOSYNTHESISRobert J Desnick; Fiscal Year: 2010..The optimally expressing vector(s) with envelope serotypes (1, 5, and 8) will be injected into the portal vein of the "AIP mice" and their ability to prevent phenobarbital-induced acute porphyric attacks will be monitored ..
- Characterization of Portal Vein Glucose Sensor Responsible for Satiety ControlChung Owyang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Animal studies indicate that a decrease in portal vein glycemic level stimulates feeding and this is prevented by elevated glucose in the system...
- Noninvasive and Accurate Measurement of Portal HypertensionFlemming Forsberg; Fiscal Year: 2010Portal hypertension is defined as an increase in the pressure gradient between the portal vein and hepatic veins or the inferior vena cava (IVC)...
- Inhibition of Liver Macrophage activation in SIV infected macaquesDonald L Sodora; Fiscal Year: 2013..macrophages that will be the first to encounter any bacterial products that traverse the gut mucosa (via the portal vein), and the major focus of this proposal will be to investigate the potential for Kupffer cell dysfunction to ..
- Imaging for Y90 Microscphere SIRT PlanningAnthony J McGoron; Fiscal Year: 2012..liver tumors is from the hepatic artery while the majority of the blood supply to the normal liver is from the portal vein. The micro-vascular density of liver tumors is 3-200 times greater than the surrounding liver parenchyma ..
- Treg suppression of islet allograft rejectionRamakrishna Vankayalapati; Fiscal Year: 2013..islet transplantation in the system resulted in even longer survival than that under kidney capsule or via the portal vein. We for the first time have selected the hepatic parenchyma as a grafting site based on the facts that the ..
- Intestinal Epithelia Ammonium TransportRoger T Worrell; Fiscal Year: 2012..of intestinal NH3/NH4+ transport are ill defined and poorly understood, this despite the well known impact of portal vein NH4+ concentration in the development of hyperammonemia in liver disease...
- Rectal Medication Administration Device for Palliative CareBRADFORD MACY; Fiscal Year: 2013..evolved for rapid and effective absorption, and the distal 1/3 of the rectum partially bypasses the hepatic portal vein allowing medication to enter the central venous system without a first pass effect through the liver...
- ENDOSCOPIC BIOPSY OF ISLET TRANSPLANTS IN THE GASTRIC SUBMUCOSAL SPACE IN PIGSHidetaka Hara; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The allotransplantation (Tx) of deceased human donor islets into the portal vein (PV) in patients with type 1 diabetes has been followed by encouraging results...
- Role of the Liver in Microbial Translocation and AIDS PathogenesisAndrew A Lackner; Fiscal Year: 2012..In order to test this hypothesis we propose the following three specific aims that will utilize indwelling portal vein catheters in rhesus macaques that are: i) uninfected, ii) infected with pathogenic SIVmac239, or iii) infected ..
- Relevance of the Route of Insulin Delivery to the Develpment of HypoglycemiaJUSTIN GREGORY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed research will test the hypothesis that delivery of insulin into the portal vein, as opposed to a peripheral vein, reduces hypoglycemic exposure in a canine model utilizing two approaches...
- Innate immunity in clinical islet transplantation: a clinical study (CIT0-01) in Olle Korsgren; Fiscal Year: 2012..At the time of transplantation, the isolated islets are allowed to embolize the liver after infusion in the portal vein, a procedure that is unique in the area of transplantation...
- FORMATION AND METABOLISM OF NITROSAMINES IN PIGSPeter Magee; Fiscal Year: 1991..The non-radioactive or labeled compound will be given by the oral and intravenous routes and directly into the portal vein by single or repeated injections or by continued infusion...
- Bioengineering a Chimeric Human LungGordana Vunjak-Novakovic; Fiscal Year: 2013..simultaneously perfusing decellularization fluids through the lung parenchyma and Perfadex solution through the portal vein, we will preserve intact lung vasculature...
- CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE INFECTIONJERGANG CHANG; Fiscal Year: 1991..And finally for specific aim 4, hamsters will be injected intracecally and intravenously (portal vein) of both exotoxins to produce the typical lesions in the ceca and to answer the question of the relationship ..
- UPPER GI TRACT MEDIATION OF THE SATIETY EFFECT OF FATSDanielle Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 1992..by measuring triglyceride levels in the blood subsequent to infusions, infusing fats into the hepatic-portal vein or the inferior vena cava, on confing fats in the stomach, of sham and real feeding rats...
- DETERMINANTS OF SODIUM RETENTION IN CIRRHOSISWILLIAM RECTOR; Fiscal Year: 1992..Total BV eventually returns to normal or even becomes elevated owing to expansion of the volume of blood in the portal vein and inferior vena cava...
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF GROWTHCHARLES NICOLL; Fiscal Year: 1992..and corticosterone) on hepatic secretion of IGF-I in vivo will be determined by infusing them into the hepatic portal vein of Hx rats...
- CONTROL OF FEEDING BEHAVIOR--HEPATIC AFFERENT SIGNALINGCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2002..In the current project 2,5-AM and MA will be infused into the portal vein to isolate the treatments to the liver, while electrophysiological recordings are done from the vagus nerve and ..
- Liver Regeneration in Man--Effects or Adjuvant TherapyYuman Fong; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two new advances that are reaching clinical testing and utilization are 1) pre-operative unilateral portal vein embolization as a means of producing contralateral liver hypertrophy to extend the possibilities of resective ..
- IMMUNOMODULATORY ROLE OF HCV CORE ON AUTOIMMUNE HEPATITIYOUNG HAHN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Strikingly, in parallel to autoimmune hepatitis, massive lymphocytic infiltration was noted around the portal vein of liver in CD2/core transgenic mice and these intrahepatic lymphocytes were associated with liver injury...
- PAHs: Balance of Detoxication vs Metabolic ActivationDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..unchanged parent BaP in mesenteric lymph, portal vein blood, liver, and bile in wild-type and all seven Cyp1 knockout mouse lines, and the role and mechanism of ..
- REGULATION OF RENAL K+ EXCRETION BY GUT FACTORJANG YOUN; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., jugular vein, hepatic portal vein, and stomach)...
- Vascular Response to Hemmorhage in Portal HyprtensionJAMES SITZMANN; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will use in vivo models of PHT with and without cirrhosis (bile duct ligated [BDL] and partial portal vein ligated [PVL]) in wild type and iNOS, eNOS, COX 1, COX 2 knockout mice, in conjunction with in vitro models of ..
- Cell Volume Regulated Biology in the LiverRavi Chari; Fiscal Year: 2005..Rats undergoing 2/3 partial hepatectomy will have concomitant infusion of agents through the portal vein. Changes in PI3K and MAPKinase signal cascades activation and alterations in cell cytoskeleton will be ..
- PHOSPHOLAMBAN MODULATION OF SMOOTH MUSCLE CONTRACTILITYRichard Paul; Fiscal Year: 2000..The initial studies will focus on the tonic aorta and the phasic portal vein as representative vascular preparations and the longitudinal ileum and trachea preparations, representative of ..
- Recovery /preservation of donation cardiac death liversMark Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2006..The scale-up system will include oxygenation and dual flow controlled perfusion to the portal vein and hepatic artery to improve flow homogeneity...
- HEPATIC MECHANISM FOR CONTROL OF FOOD INTAKEMark Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..1) the difference in glucose concentration in the blood vessels supplying the liver (hepatic artery and hepatic portal vein) generates a satiety signal; 2) the sensory neurons in the vagus nerves mediate the satiating effect of high ..
- ASSESSMENT OF INTRAPORTAL HEPATOCYTE TRANSPLANTATIONGEOFFREY BUDD; Fiscal Year: 1980..Gunn rats and Wistar rats; they will be radioactively labeled in vivo or in vitro and transplanted via the portal vein into the liver of homozygous, jaundiced Gunn rats...
- NEUROBEHAVIORAL ANALYSIS OF GLUCAGON SATIETYNORCROSS GEARY; Fiscal Year: 2000..Aim 2 is to compare hepatic portal vein and hepatic vein plasma glucagon levels during nocturnal spontaneous meals in undisturbed rats with those ..
- Molecular mediators of metastasis in hepatocellular carcinomaBrian C Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..HCC frequently spreads to distant organs, including the portal vein, lymph nodes, and lungs, resulting in the demise of the patient...
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR MECHANISMS OF ALDELEANOR METCALF; Fiscal Year: 1999..bacteria] translocation and release of endotoxin (LPS) derived from these bacteria into the liver via the portal vein. Although the exact mechanisms of liver injury in ALD are currently unclear, reports have suggested that ..
- PTH RELATED PROTEIN IN VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLEThomas Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2004..Studies will be performed in isolated aortic and portal vein preparations to determine probe specific mechanisms by which PTHrP alters vascular tone...
- FLOW VELOCITY QUANTITATION BY MRIDavid Saloner; Fiscal Year: 1993..disease, peripheral vascular disease, cardiac valve stenosis and regurgitation, aneurysms, A-V shunts, and portal vein abnormalities. However, many vessels of interest are not accessible to ultrasound or show poor reproducibility...
- Roles of bacterial flora in endotoxin shock mediated vi*Koichi Kobayashi; Fiscal Year: 2006..LPS produced by commensal bacterial flora in the intestine is actually observed in blood circulation in the portal vein in laboratory animals, it is conceivable that commensal bacterial flora simulate the immune system, leading to ..
- GLUCOSE HOMEOSTASIS AND THE SURGICALLY ALTERED PANCREASJOHN HANKS; Fiscal Year: 1990..further studies that allow more sophisticated analysis of hepatic glucose output after "de-insulination" of the portal vein. The response of decreased beta cell mass to sulfonylurea treatment will be studied...
- 3D Image Guided Endovascular SurgeryElizabeth Bullitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..DSA), 3) Development of fast, real-time tracking methods to detect changes in the position of the target portal vein resulting from patient respiration or needle pressure on the liver during the procedure, 4) 3D reconstruction ..
- Delivery of a Myostatin Inhibitor by AAV Gene Therapy for Muscular DystrophyAMANDA HAIDET; Fiscal Year: 2009..delivery method of an AAV vector encoding a secreted myostatin inhibitor by comparing intramuscular versus portal vein delivery in a mouse model of DMD, the dystrophin deficient mdx mouse...
- ROLE OF SENSING OF K+ INTAKE IN K+ HOMEOSTASISJANG YOUN; Fiscal Year: 2005..The objective of this project is to test the hypothesis that K+ intake is sensed by K+ sensors in the portal vein, and both renal K+ excretion and extrarenal cellular K+ uptake are regulated by this signal...
- REGIONAL CHEMOTHERAPY OF LIVER METASTASIS--COLON CANCERJoseph Bertino; Fiscal Year: 1991..are to improve the local control of hepatic metastasis of colorectal carcinoma through intra-arterial or portal vein chemotherapy...
- CONTRACTION OF VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLSKATHLEEN MORGAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..the use of multicellular strips, freshly, enzymatically isolated single cells from ferret aorta and ferret portal vein and purified proteins...
- KINASE REGULATION OF L TYPE CALCIUM CHANNELSKathleen Keef; Fiscal Year: 2002..The present study investigates kinase regulation of Ca(L) channels in smooth muscle cells of the rabbit portal vein. Experiments are described to investigate the role of G-protein subunits, anchoring proteins, phosphodiesterase ..
- PORTAL GLUCOSENSORS IN HYPOGLYCEMIC DETECTIONCASEY DONOVAN; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): This proposal focuses on portal vein gluocosensors...
- INTESTINAL TRANSPLANTATION IN INBRED RATSSUE ODORISIO; Fiscal Year: 1992..term immunosuppression, by means of two new approaches to recipient pretreatment: enteral administration and portal vein injection of donor type cells combined with short-term cyclosporine...
- TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR AND PORTAL HYPERTENSIONMatthew Metz; Fiscal Year: 2003..In vivo models of PHT (portal vein ligation, PVL) in wildtype and TNF-a, iNOS, eNOS, COX-l, COXII knockout mice, in conjunction with in vitro co-..
- LYMPHATIC DELIVERY OF INTERLEUKIN-2LINNAR TENG; Fiscal Year: 1992..to modify IL-2 by rendering it more a) lipophilic b) resistant to acid hydrolysis and c) able to circumvent portal vein absorption...
- MODIFICATION OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE BY THE LIVERM Flye; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, pretransplant antigen administration via the portal vein prolongs allograft survival, presumably by processing of the antigen through the liver by an undefined ..
- GROWTH FACTORS IN VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLEThomas Doetschman; Fiscal Year: 2000..and contractile function of vascular smooth muscle cells in major vessels, including aorta, carotid artery, portal vein, and mesenteric resistance artery, as well as in the response of aorta and carotid artery VSM to hypertension ..
- NA-PUMP ISOFORM-SPECIFIC REGULATION OF VASCULAR FUNCTIONRichard Paul; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our hypothesis is that contractility is strongly affected by the a2 isoform. Contractility in aorta, portal vein and resistance vessels will be compared to cardiovascular parameters in the whole animal. Specific Aim 2...
- Liver to Endocrine Pancreas TransdifferentiationLijun Yang; Fiscal Year: 2009..transdifferentiation of liver cells into IPCs in mice using a hydrodynamic-based tail vein delivery system, portal vein infusion, or direct intrahepatic injection...
- VEGF Promotes Pancreatic Tumor Cell Arrest in the LiverJason Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2005..to the liver describe a very inefficient process in which most cells that embolize to hepatic sinusoids via the portal vein do not develop into metastatic tumors...
- Carbohydrate Metabolism in Late PregnancyMary Moore; Fiscal Year: 2005..Preliminary studies in the pregnant dog model in fact suggest that multiple counterregulatory mechanisms are altered by pregnancy. ..
- Pathophysiological Interpretations of Dynamic PET/CT of Molecular Liver BiologySusanne Keiding; Fiscal Year: 2010..Models for determining tracer input from the portal vein and the hepatic artery (dual input function) and microcirculation of the liver are investigated with 11 CO-PET ..