Summary: Large veins on either side of the root of the neck formed by the junction of the internal jugular and subclavian veins. They drain blood from the head, neck, and upper extremities, and unite to form the superior vena cava.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Endovascular management of central venous stenoses in the hemodialysis patient: results of percutaneous therapyScott M Surowiec
Center for Vascular Disease, Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 38:349-54. 2004..Angiographic evidence of central venous stenosis was present in 35 patients (18%) (superior vena cava 5, brachiocephalic veins 14, and subclavian veins 18). Follow-up averaged 873 days from the date of initial intervention...
- Secondary endovascular repair of a reconstructed superior vena cava in a patient with a malignant thymic epithelial neoplasmN Charokopos
First Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, AHEPA Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54636, Greece
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 55:267-70. 2007..Endovascular repair was performed with the deployment of self-expanding nitinol stents, resulting in immediate relief of symptoms. The stented graft has remained patent for a follow-up period of 7 months...
- Thyroid carcinoma with extensive tumor thrombus in the atriumYuko Yamagami
Department of Surgery, Osaka Police Hospital, 10 31 Kitayama cho, Tennoji ku, Osaka 543 0035, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:555-8. 2008..Patients with an extensive tumor thrombus generally have poor prognoses and high mortality. This patient has been followed for 7 months after successful operation without recurrence...
- Long-term graft patency after replacement of the brachiocephalic veins combined with resection of mediastinal tumorsYasushi Shintani
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, E1, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:809-12. 2005We sought to investigate the correlation between type of vascular reconstruction and long-term graft patency after replacement of brachiocephalic veins combined with resection of mediastinal malignancies.
- Thromboembolic disease involving the superior vena cava and brachiocephalic veinsTodd R Otten
St Joseph Mercy Oakland, Pontiac, MI 48341, USA
Chest 123:809-12. 2003..To evaluate the frequency of diagnosis and the characteristics of brachiocephalic vein and superior vena cava (SVC) thromboembolic disease...
- Brachiocephalic vein thrombus of papillary thyroid cancer: report of a caseEisuke Koike
Noguchi Thyroid Clinic and Hospital Foundation, Beppu, Oita, Japan
Surg Today 32:59-62. 2002..We herein report our case, review the literature, and discuss the associated diagnostic problems and treatments including such areas as age, gender, symptoms, pathology, extension, and outcome...
- Side-to-side arteriovenous fistula at the elbow with perforating vein ligationMajid Moini
Division of Vascular Surgery, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Vasc Surg 47:1274-8. 2008..This would also lesson the likelihood of arterial steal enabling a favorable outcome following a brachial artery medial antecubital or cephalic vein arterio-venous fistula (AVF)...
- Efficient haemodialysis despite complete central venous thrombosisC Hecking
Department of Angiology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Vasa 35:243-4. 2006..In order to avoid deterioration of the haemodynamic situation interventions may be withheld unless clinical problems related to a diminished outflow occur...
- Dialysis fistulae patency and preoperative diameter ultrasound measurementsE Korten
Department of Non Invasive Vascular Diagnostics, Vascular Centre, Saint Franciscus Hospital Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 33:467-71. 2007..This study was designed to investigate the possibility of defining a vascular diameter with a practical cut-off point, which predicts a successful patency for radiocephalic arteriovenous fistulae in dialysis patients...
- Endovascular stent placement in the treatment of upper extremity central venous obstruction in hemodialysis patientsCuneyt Aytekin
Department of Radiology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 49:81-5. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of stent placement for treating upper extremity central venous obstruction in chronic hemodialysis patients...
- Central vein stenosis: a nephrologist's perspectiveAnil K Agarwal
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Semin Dial 20:53-62. 2007....
- Peripheral venous hypertension of the hand: a complication of a proximal radial artery arteriovenous fistulaJ E Anaya-Ayala
Division of Vascular Surgery, The Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Vasc Access 9:64-6. 2008..We briefly discuss this complication and considerations of its management in relation to the bidirectional PRAVF creation...
- Brachial vein transposition arteriovenous fistula: is it an acceptable option for chronic dialysis vascular access?P J Torina
Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Vasc Access 9:39-44. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the midterm performance of brachial vein arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs) and to compare this performance with arteriovenous grafts (AVGs) and basilic vein transposition AVFs...
- Novel repair of venous aneurysms secondary to arteriovenous dialysis fistulaeGeorge E Pierce
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 41:55-60. 2007..Reduction aneurysmoplasty as described in this report offers an effective and low-risk option for the management of venous aneurysms secondary to arteriovenous fistulae in hemodialysis patients...
- Salvaging and maintaining non-maturing Brescia-Cimino haemodialysis fistulae by percutaneous interventionH H Song
Department of Radiology, Halla Hospital, Yeon dong, Jeju, Jeju do, South Korea
Clin Radiol 61:404-9. 2006..To report our experience of the salvage of non-maturing Brescia-Cimino dialysis fistulae by percutaneous intervention...
- Endovascular salvage of nonmaturing autogenous hemodialysis fistulas: comparison with endovascular therapy of failing mature fistulasHannu I Manninen
Department of Clinical Radiology, Kuopio University Hospital and Kuopio University, Puijonlaaksontie 2, FI 70210 KUOPIO, Finland
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:870-6. 2008....
- Intra-access blood flow in patients with newly created upper-arm arteriovenous native fistulae for hemodialysis accessAndrew I Chin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:850-8. 2004..This single-center cohort study evaluated intra-access blood flow (Q AC) in 3 variants of newly created upper-arm fistulae...
- Central venous stenosis in haemodialysis patients without a previous history of catheter placementLevent Oguzkurt
Baskent University, Adana Teaching and Medical Research Centre, Department of Radiology, Adana, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 55:237-42. 2005..To evaluate dialysis history, imaging findings and outcome of endovascular treatment in six patients with central venous stenosis without a history of previous catheter placement...
- Determinants of failure of brachiocephalic elbow fistulas for haemodialysisC J Zeebregts
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:209-14. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyse the results of brachiocephalic fistulas for haemodialysis and to determine possible predictors of failure...
- Percutaneous trans-jugular mechanical thrombectomy for the treatment of thrombosed upper arm fistulasJose Garcia Medina
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2872-3. 2005
- The reverse J arteriovenous graft configuration for hemodialysis access: rationale, technique, and outcomesDavid L Cull
Academic Department of Surgery, Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center, Greenville, South Carolina 29605, USA
Am Surg 74:620-4; discussion 624-5. 2008..Therefore, the reverse J configuration enhances the secondary patency of AV graft patency and AV access site longevity...
- [Acute cardiac failure secondary to brachiocephalic arteriovenous fistula in patient on chronic haemodialysis]Anna Bednarek-Skublewska
Katedra i Klinika Nefrologii AM w Lublinie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 112:1221-7. 2004....
- The two-stage brachial artery-brachial vein autogenous fistula for hemodialysis: an alternative autogenous option for hemodialysis accessNiren Angle
UCSD Section of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, UCSD School of Medicine, San Diego, Calif 92103 8403, USA
J Vasc Surg 42:806-10. 2005..Arm swelling and steal have not been a problem, and all patients have been able to have full dialysis through the fistula after appropriate maturation times...
- Central vein obstruction in vascular accessV Mickley
Department of Vascular Surgery, Kreiskrankenhaus Rastatt, Engelstrasse 39, D 76437, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:439-44. 2006..This article discusses the epidemiology and clinical features of central venous obstruction and the different surgical and interventional alternatives for its treatment...
- Optic nerve edema: complication of peripheral hemodialysis shuntSusie Chang
Cole Eye Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 19:88-90. 2004..We report an unusual case of unilateral optic nerve edema secondary to a contralateral peripheral hemodialysis shunt...
- Prospective evaluation of factors associated with early failure of arteriovenous fistulae in hemodialysis patientsMohamed A Elsharawy
Vascular Unit, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Dammam, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Vascular 14:70-4. 2006..Our data showed that intraoperative blood flow is a reliable parameter that determines the early failure of an AVF. Careful selection of the vein and the artery may reduce the rate of failure...
- Impact of short-term hemodialysis catheters on the central veins: a catheter venographic studyLevent Oguzkurt
Department of Radiology, Adana Medical Center, Baskent University, Dadaloglu Mah 39 Sok No 6, Yuregir, Adana 01250, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 52:293-9. 2004..To determine the incidence of pericatheter sleeve formation, thrombus formation, and stenosis of the central veins in hemodialysis patients with temporary catheters...
- Long-term outcomes of primary angioplasty and primary stenting of central venous stenosis in hemodialysis patientsAndrew M Bakken
Center for Vascular Disease, Department of Surgery, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:776-83. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine the outcomes of primary angioplasty (PTA) vs primary stenting (PTS) in a dialysis access population at a tertiary referral academic medical center...
- Cephalic arch stenosis in patients with fistula access for hemodialysis: relationship to diabetes and thrombosisMary Hammes
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, U S A
Hemodial Int 12:85-9. 2008..Diabetes was found to have a negative association with CAS for undefined reasons. Attempts to understand this relationship are important...
- Unilateral pleural effusions associated with stenoses of left brachiocephalic veins in haemodialysis patientsEnrique Morales Ruiz
Department of Nephrology, Hospital Universitario, Madrid, Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:1257-9. 2005
- Autogeneous elbow fistulas: the effect of diabetes mellitus on maturation, patency, and complication ratesG J Murphy
Department of Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, U K
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 23:452-7. 2002....
- Comparison of venography and ultrasound for the diagnosis of asymptomatic deep vein thrombosis in the upper body in children: results of the PARKAA study. Prophylactic Antithrombin Replacement in Kids with ALL treated with AsparaginaseChristoph Male
The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thromb Haemost 87:593-8. 2002..A combination of both venography and ultrasound is required for screening for DVT in the upper venous system...
- Prevention of recurrent central venous stenosis using endovascular irradiation following stent placement in hemodialysis patientsP C Kwok
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 24:400-6. 2001..Endovascular irradiation with a noncentering source does not prolong the patency after angioplasty and stenting of central venous stenosis in hemodialysis patients...
- Stent fracture in the left brachiocephalic veinMasamichi Wada
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiovasc Revasc Med 8:103-6. 2007..At least 9 months after the stent-in-stent procedure, there has been no edema in his left arm. Therefore, stent-in-stent is one of the useful strategies for stent fracture in central venous obstruction...
- Elbow fistulas using autogeneous vein: patency rates and results of revisionG J Murphy
University Department of Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Postgrad Med J 78:483-6. 2002..The provision and maintenance of vascular access remains a major cost to end stage renal failure programmes. There are few reports regarding the surgical revision of the failing native elbow arteriovenous fistula (AVF)...
- Venous congestion of the breast mimicking inflammatory breast cancer: case report and review of literatureCraig Blum
Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Breast J 14:97-101. 2008..We review the literature and present a clinical case of a patient presenting with features concerning for inflammatory breast cancer, but in fact were the result of dialysis access related venous congestion of the breast...
- Cephalic arch stenosisKaveh Kian
Denver Nephrology, Denver, Colorado, USA
Semin Dial 21:78-82. 2008..This article discusses the anatomy, postulated etiology and percutaneous interventions for the treatment of CAS. In addition, the report highlights surgical alternatives to the management of stenosis in this segment of the cephalic vein...
- Does the surgeon's experience impact on radiocephalic fistula patency rates?Nicholas Fassiadis
South West Thames Surrey and Sussex Renal Transplant Unit, St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Semin Dial 20:455-7. 2007..These results suggest that the placement of a RCF should be performed by the most experienced member of a team dedicated to vascular access creation or at least under his supervision...
- The importance of a dedicated vascular access teamDebasish Banerjee
St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, and St George s Hospital, University of London, London, UK
Semin Dial 20:458. 2007
- What should nephrologists know about hand ischemia?Arif Asif
Interventional Nephrology, Division of Nephrology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Semin Dial 20:465-74. 2007
- Factors associated with unsuccessful utilization and early failure of the arterio-venous fistula for hemodialysisPietro Ravani
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Cremona, Italy
J Nephrol 18:188-96. 2005..We sought to determine whether fistulae created in patients referred to a nephrologist less than 3 months before dialysis start show higher risk of unsuccessful use and early failure...
- [Venous stents]M Lutolf
Röntgeninstitut, Kantonsspital, Chur
Ther Umsch 60:204-10. 2003....
- Use of nitinol stents following recanalization of central venous occlusions in hemodialysis patientsDheeraj K Rajan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Medical Imaging, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network University of Toronto, M5G 2N2, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:662-7. 2007..To retrospectively review the patency of endovascular interventions with nitinol stent placement for symptomatic central venous occlusions in hemodialysis patients...
- Early experiences of intraoperative ultrasound guided angioplasty of the arterial stenosis during upper limb arteriovenous fistula creationM Napoli
Nephrology, Dialysis and Renal Transplantation Unit, V Fazzi Hospital, Lecce, Italy
J Vasc Access 8:97-102. 2007..In our experience, stenting after IUTA does not add any other advantages...
- A complication associated with central line removal in the pediatric population: retained fixed catheter fragmentsSarah A Jones
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Dalhousie University, IWK Health Center, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:594-6. 2003..However, there is no literature that describes the complications that occur at the time of removal of these lines...
- Salvage of arteriovenous fistula by angioplasty of collateral veins establishing a new channelI Ahmad
American Access Care, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Vasc Access 8:123-5. 2007..This report describes a case of salvage of an upper arm fistula by repeated angioplasty of the collateral veins after the main out flow vein was occluded and could not be recanalyzed...
- Intraoperative flow measurements are helpful in the treatment of high-inflow steal syndrome on a predialysis patient with a brachiocephalic fistula: a case reportEric S Chemla
St George s Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
Ann Vasc Surg 21:645-7. 2007..We believe that inflow reduction might be superior to DRIL in treating steal syndrome caused by high inflow and that transit time ultrasound might be helpful when transonic treatment is not possible...
- Incidence of central vein stenosis and occlusion following upper extremity PICC and port placementCarin F Gonsalves
Department of Radiology, Jefferson Medical College Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Suite 4200 Gibbon Building, 111 South 11th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 26:123-7. 2003....
- Evaluation of the efficacy of the transposed upper arm arteriovenous fistula: a single institutional review of 190 basilic and cephalic vein transposition proceduresKaren Woo
Department of Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Vasc Surg 46:94-99; discussion 100. 2007..We then compared our tAVF patients with a cohort of upper arm arteriovenous grafts (AVG)...
- Intermediate-term patency of upper arm arteriovenous fistulae for hemodialysis access in childrenRamanath N Haricharan
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:147-51. 2008..The goal of this study was to estimate the 2-year cumulative thrombosis-free survival of basilic vein transposition (BVT) and brachiocephalic fistulae in children...
- Creation of secondary AV fistulas from failed hemodialysis grafts: the role of routine vein mappingV D Nguyen
Memorial Nephrology Associates, Olympia, Washington 98506, USA
J Vasc Access 8:91-6. 2007..This success rate demonstrates the value of vein selection by vascular mapping prior to graft failure and early vascular access planning in the successful creation of secondary AVF...
- Patterns of relapse following radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer: implication for target volume delineationMuhammad Azrif
Department of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
Radiother Oncol 89:105-13. 2008..There are no standardized guidelines or consensus in target delineation for radiotherapy in thyroid cancer...
- Prosthetic axillary-axillary arteriovenous straight access (necklace graft) for difficult hemodialysis patients: a prospective single-center experienceMohamed A Morsy
South West Thames, Surrey and Sussex Renal Transplant Network, London, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 48:1251-4, 1254.e1. 2008..We describe our experience with this procedure in a series of patients...
- Cranial vena caval syndrome secondary to central venous obstruction associated with a pacemaker lead in a dogJennifer M Mulz
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
J Vet Cardiol 12:217-23. 2010..the cranial vena cava and 3 additional suspected filling abnormalities within both external jugular veins, brachiocephalic veins and cranial vena cava...
- Endovascular treatment of malignant superior vena cava syndrome: is bilateral wallstent placement superior to unilateral placement?Hans Peter Dinkel
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Inselspital, University Hospital of Berne, Switzerland
J Endovasc Ther 10:788-97. 2003..To report our experience with unilateral versus bilateral stent placement in the treatment of malignant superior vena cava syndrome (SVCS)...
- Percutaneous stenting of superior vena cava syndrome: treatment outcome in patients with benign and malignant etiologyNeal R Barshes
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, and the Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Vascular 15:314-21. 2007..In contrast, bilateral kissing stents were deployed in 9 patients (16%), which extended from bilateral brachiocephalic veins to the proximal SVC...
- Detection of metastases to internal jugular vein and superior vena cava on 131-I scanArchi Agrawal
From the Radiation Medicine Center, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India and daggerDepartment of Radiology, Port Trust Hospital, Mumbai, India
Clin Nucl Med 34:934-5. 2009..which showed a heterogeneously enhancing thrombus in the right IJV, extending to the confluence of the brachiocephalic veins and into the superior vena cava (SVC). A nonenhancing thrombus was also seen in the right subclavian vein...
- Superior vena cava syndrome due to thrombotic occlusion in a thrombophilic renal transplant recipient: a case reportP Di Cocco
Transplant and Renal Failure Unit, Department of Surgery, University of L Aquila, Italy
Transplant Proc 42:1358-61. 2010..Imaging revealed thrombosis of the right internal jugular vein with extension along the confluence of the brachiocephalic veins and partial obstruction of the superior vena cava...
- The clinical anatomy of the internal thoracic veinsM Loukas
Department of Anatomical Sciences, St George s University, Grenada, West Indies
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 66:25-32. 2007..to form a single vein (one for the right side and one for the left) draining into the right and left brachiocephalic veins. The tributaries of ITVs corresponded to the branches of ITA...
- Intracardiac (superior vena cava/right atrial) ECGs using saline solution as the conductive medium for the proper positioning of the Shiley hemodialysis catheter: is it not time to forego [correction of forgo] the postinsertion chest radiograph?John E Madias
Division of Cardiology, Elmhurst Hospital Center, 79 01 Broadway, Elmhurst, NY 11373, USA
Chest 124:2363-7. 2003..The double-lumen Shiley central venous catheter (SCVC), inserted via the brachiocephalic veins, is often employed for HD, and it is customary to obtain a chest radiograph to ensure proper positioning ..
- Delayed treatment of a traumatic left subclavian artery pseudoaneurysmRandall W Franz
Vascular and Vein Center, Grant Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43325, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 42:482-5. 2008..The patient underwent emergent repair of the confluence of the right internal jugular, subclavian and brachiocephalic veins, and laparotomy secondary to compartment syndrome...
- Crohn's and Behçet's disease association presenting with superior vena cava thrombosisAydin Seref Koksal
Departments of Gastroenterology, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 50:1698-701. 2005..ultrasonography and computed tomography scan revealed bilateral thrombosis of the external jugular veins, brachiocephalic veins, and superior vena cava...
- [CT imaging study of anterior approaches to the upper thoracic spine]Yi Xing Huang
Department of Orthopaedics Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325000, Zhejiang, China
Zhongguo Gu Shang 22:685-7. 2009..This study is to investigate the exposure ranges of different anterior surgical approaches to the UTS for making the preoperative plan by means of CT images analysis...
- Intravascular uptake during fluoroscopically guided cervical interlaminar steroid injection at C6-7: a case reportMark S Kaplan
Department of Orthopaedics and Physical Rehabilitation, Worcester, MA 01605 2982, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:553-8. 2008..space and returns blood to the right atrium through the paired vertebral veins and right and left brachiocephalic veins. In all 4 cases, intravascular uptake occurred despite negative aspiration of blood before the contrast ..
- Outcome of simultaneous and staged microvascular free tissue transfer connected to arteriovenous loops in areas lacking recipient vesselsPeter M Vogt
Department of Plastic, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1568-75. 2007..In this study, the authors analyzed whether the outcome differs when flaps were transferred simultaneously or subsequently after construction of arteriovenous loops...
- Radical operation for invasive thymoma with intracaval, intracardiac, and lung invasionYasuhiro Shudo
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Japan Labour Health and Welfare Organization, Osaka Rosai Hospital, Osaka, Japan
J Card Surg 22:330-2. 2007..with a lobectomy, along with a combined resection of the right atrium and reconstruction of the bilateral brachiocephalic veins and right atrium...
- The clinical anatomy of the great veins of the neckHarold Ellis
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 71:M20-1. 2010..A detailed knowledge of the internal jugular, subclavian and brachiocephalic veins is therefore of considerable importance - especially their surface markings and the position of adjacent ..
- A new approach for obtaining blood samples from pigsB Lawhorn
Department of Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843
J Am Vet Med Assoc 192:781-2. 1988..Using this method, blood samples were obtained rapidly from the brachiocephalic veins of 155 15- to 137-kg swine...
- Synchronous primary intrapulmonary and mediastinal thymoma--a case reportZuoqing Song
Department of Lung Cancer Surgery, Tianjin Key Laboratory of Lung Cancer Metastasis and Tumor Microenvironment, Tianjin Lung Cancer Institute, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin 300052, China
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:69. 2010..lobectomy of right lung were performed, with lymph Nodes clearance, superior vena cava, left and right brachiocephalic veins resection, reconstruction of left brachiocephalic vein to right auricle and reconstruction of right ..
- A novel percutaneously adjustable device for ligature of the vertical vein in the setting of obstructive totally anomalous pulmonary venous connectionUjjwal K Chowdhury
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Cardiol Young 17:380-6. 2007..We describe here a new device, permitting adjustable ligation of the vertical vein, which permits us to avoid multiple reoperations...
- Primary intrapulmonary thymoma successfully resected with vascular reconstructionHironori Ishibashi
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sendai Kousei Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1735-7. 2003..There has been no evidence of recurrence in 6 years. Complete resection of the tumor with vascular reconstruction and adjuvant radiation should be considered in invasive intrapulmonary thymoma...
- Central vein stenosis or occlusion associated with cardiac rhythm management device leads in hemodialysis patients with ipsilateral arteriovenous access: a retrospective study of treatment using stents or stent-graftsTheodore F Saad
Nephrology Associates, PA, Newark, DE 19713, USA
J Vasc Access 11:293-302. 2010..The purposes of this study were to determine the outcomes, complications, and patency following stenting of CRMD lead-associated central vein stenosis or occlusion, and to determine the effect of stents on CRMD function...
- A novel innominate vein-to-common atrium fenestration at Fontan completionThomas S Mir
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University Heart Center, University of Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 89:e38-40. 2010..The technique proved safe and reproducible, did not add to surgical difficulty or time, and provided reliable fenestration of up to at least 3 weeks, with a high rate of spontaneous closure during intermediate follow-up...
- Novel use of the Amplatzer duct occluder for percutaneous closure of a large subclavian artery to innominate vein fistula in a neonateKelly Evans
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 1:46-9. 2006..We report the use of the Amplatzer Duct Occluder for transcatheter closure of a rare subclavian artery to innominate vein fistula in a neonate...
- Upper limb thrombosis associated with assisted conception treatmentJ A Stewart
Centre for Reproductive Medicine, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hum Reprod 12:2174-5. 1997..The accepted argument that lower limb thrombosis occurring in cases of complicated or severe hyperstimulation syndrome represents the likeliest thrombo-embolic disorder in this situation is questioned...
- Veins of the thoracic limb of the Van catZ Ozudogru
Yuzuncu Yil Universitesi, Veteriner Fakultesi, Anatomi Anabilim Dali, Van, Turkey
Anat Histol Embryol 32:116-23. 2003....
- [Jugular vein thrombosis, subclavian vein thrombosis and right brachiocephalic vein thrombosis after in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer: a case report]Fei Gong
Reproductive and Stem Cell Institute, Central South University, Changsha 410078, Changsha 410078, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 36:453-6. 2011..The main treatment was low molecular weight heparin anticoagulation and low molecular weight dextran expansion. Timely Cesarean section is recommended to ensure the safety of perinatal mother and child...
- Retroaortic innominate vein with coarctation of the aorta: surgical repair and embryology reviewIgor E Konstantinov
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1014-6. 2003..The ascending aorta was transected and the innominate vein was brought in front of it. We review the anatomy and embryology of this rare entity and describe the surgical technique to avoid recoarctation and innomante vein compression...
- First human use of a new PFM "Babystent"M B E Schneider
Heart 89:83. 2003
- Cachexia in a 53-year-old end-stage renal disease patient on hemodialysisChirag Vaidya
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Semin Dial 20:475-6. 2007
- Venous cerebral infarction in a patient with peripheral hemodialysis shunt and occlusion of the left brachiocephalic veinHaruo Nishijima
Department of Neurology, Aomori Prefectural Central Hospital, Aomori City, Japan
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 20:381-3. 2011..This case illustrates that abnormal extracranial venous circulation should be considered when cerebral venous congestion is assumed to produce neurologic symptoms in patients with an arteriovenous shunt...
- Access stenosis and stent fractureUrsula C Brewster
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 47:A45, e35-6. 2006
- Thrombosis of the superior vena cava and auxiliary branches in patients with indwelling catheterization of the internal jugular veinHan Li
Blood Purification Center, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100020, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:692-6. 2009....
- Large thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection with rare complicationNedaa Skeik
Vascular Medicine, Minneapolis Heart Institute, Minneapolis, MN Electronic address
Ann Vasc Surg 28:1034.e9-1034.e12. 2014..man who presented with a very large thoracic aortic aneurysm with dissection causing compression over the brachiocephalic veins and the mediastinum leading to facial and upper extremity swelling, dysphagia, and cough...
- Thyroid cancer with massive invasion into the neck and mediastinal great veinsShinichiro Motohashi
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 53:55-7. 2005..The patient has survived for more than two years after surgery, with good general condition...
- Transposed brachiobasilic fistula or PTFE arm graft - alternative or complementary?J A Milburn
Department of Vascular Surgery, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, Scotland
J Vasc Access 9:117-21. 2008..Our primary aims were (1) to examine the patency of transposed brachiobasilic (TBB) fistulae compared to arm arteriovenous graft (AVG) without prior transposition, and (2) to examine the patency of AVG with and without prior transposition...
- Catheter tip position as a risk factor for thrombosis associated with the use of subcutaneous infusion portsJo Caers
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Support Care Cancer 13:325-31. 2005..The aim of this retrospective study was to assess the different complications of infusion ports in our population and to identify predisposing factors...
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Bilateral vertical veins from a common confluence in supracardiac total anomalous pulmonary venous connectionLars Grosse-Wortmann
Labatt Family Heart Center at the Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Circulation 118:e103-4. 2008
- Predicting arteriovenous fistula maturation with intraoperative blood flow measurementsS S Berman
The Southern Arizona Vascular Institute, Tucson, Arizona 85745, USA
J Vasc Access 9:241-7. 2008....
- Can carotid angiography be performed by vascular surgeons? A critical evaluation of indications, technique, and resultsTimothy M Sullivan
Greenville Hospital System, Greenville, SC, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 18:710-3. 2004..Selective angiography of the extracranial carotid arteries remains an important adjunct in the evaluation of patients with carotid disease. This procedure can be performed safely by vascular surgeons...
- Mediastinal epithelioid haemangioendothelioma: a rare mediastinal tumourZiad Mansour
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Strasbourg University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:122-4. 2010..We present the case of this patient with the iconography, along with a review of the available literature concerning mediastinal epithelioid haemangioendotheliomas...
- Sharp recanalization of central venous occlusions: a useful technique for haemodialysis line insertionS Athreya
Department of Radiology, Gartnavel General Hospital, Glasgow, UK
Br J Radiol 82:105-8. 2009..The technique was successful in all of the cases, with the line functional for a mean duration of 13 months. This technique can permit successful dialysis catheter placement in patients who have failed with traditional techniques...
- Proximal radial artery ligation (PRAL) for reduction of flow in autogenous radial cephalic accesses for haemodialysisP Bourquelot
Department of Angioaccess Surgery, Clinique Jouvenet, Paris, France
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 40:94-9. 2010..Juxta-anastomosis proximal radial artery ligation (PRAL) is a new surgical technique for reduction of excessive blood flow of radial cephalic fistulas (RCFs)...
- Complete resection of a complex glomus jugulare tumor with extensive venous involvement. Case reportSujit S Prabhu
Department of Neurosurgery, The Brain Tumor Center, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E12. 2004..This is the first case report of a glomus jugulare tumor in which there was such extensive involvement of the venous system, requiring a multidisciplinary team approach for complete resection...
- Thrombosis of the left brachiocephalic vein after subtotal esophagectomy with reconstruction using a retrosternally shifted gastric tube: Report of a caseMasato Maeda
Department of Surgery, Shizuoka City Hospital, 10 93 Ohtemachi, Aoi ku, Shizuoka, 420 8630, Japan
Surg Today 37:145-9. 2007..The thrombus had disappeared completely by POD 38. The anticoagulation therapy was continued for 6 months and no recurrence of the thrombosis has been detected in the 4 months since its completion...
- Endovascular reconstruction of completely occluded left brachiocephalic vein in haemodialysis patients--tips and tricksNour Eldin A Nour-Eldin
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Johan Wolfgang Goethe University Clinic, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Radiol 70:177-9. 2009..Not only venous stenoses but also complete occlusions can be treated by endovascular techniques. Tips and tricks for recanalisation in these difficult topographic locations are presented...
- Distalization of the anastomosis: an effective treatment for dialysis access-associated steal syndromeLorraine Corfield
Department of Vascular Surgery, Fremantle Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Ann Vasc Surg 26:572.e11-3. 2012..We report three cases in which an alternative approach of moving the arteriovenous anastomosis distally was used, thereby protecting arterial inflow to the hand. In all three cases, the steal resolved and the fistula remained patent...
- In situ cephalic vein bypasses from axillary to the brachial artery after catheterization injuriesNarcis Hudorovic
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, 10000 Zagreb, Vinogradska 29, Croatia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:103-5. 2010..After iatrogenic post-catheterization trauma of arterial system of upper extremity, bypasses from axillary to brachial artery with the cephalic vein with the in situ technique is a safe operation with satisfactory long-term patency...
- Partial absence of superior vena cava in an adult patient. Case report and literature reviewD L Tarnoki
Department of Radiology and Oncotherapy, Semmelweis University, 78 a Ullöi Street, 1082, Budapest, Hungary
Herz 38:785-9. 2013..Owing to the absence of the SVC and bilateral brachiocephalic veins, caval hypertension developed in the patient, resulting in the dilation of cavo-caval anastomoses...
- CT demonstration of the extracardiac anastomoses of the coronary veins in superior vena cava or left brachiocephalic vein obstructionJoseph Casullo
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4, Canada
Korean J Radiol 14:132-7. 2013..These adventitial veins then drain into tributaries of the anterior cardiac veins or ventricular coronary veins...
- Consecutive, prospective case series of a new method for ultrasound-guided supraclavicular approach to the brachiocephalic vein in childrenC Breschan
Department of Anaesthesia, Landeskrankenhaus Klagenfurt, St Veiterstrasse 47, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria
Br J Anaesth 106:732-7. 2011..This study describes the US-guided supraclavicular cannulation of the brachiocephalic vein (BCV)...
- SHORT-TERM RESEARCH TRAINING FOR MINORITY STUDENTSCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2008..The emphasis of this training program in the next five years will be to significantly expand the students' horizons and to recruit students into basic biomedical science. ..
- Estrogen Influences on Fetal AdrenocorticotropinCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..