Genomes and Genes
Summary: The smallest divisions of the arteries located between the muscular arteries and the capillaries.
Publications295 found, 100 shown here
- Brain metabolism dictates the polarity of astrocyte control over arteriolesGrant R J Gordon
Brain Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, British Columbia T2N 2B5, Canada
Nature 456:745-9. 2008..in neural activity to alterations in cerebral blood flow by eliciting vasoconstriction or vasodilation of arterioles. However, the mechanism for how these opposite astrocyte influences provide appropriate changes in vessel tone ..
- Calcium transients in astrocyte endfeet cause cerebrovascular constrictionsSean J Mulligan
Brain Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 2B5
Nature 431:195-9. 2004..determine the impact of intracellular Ca(2+) concentrations ([Ca(2+)](i)) in astrocytes on the diameter of small arterioles by using two-photon Ca(2+) uncaging to increase [Ca(2+)](i)...
- Glial cells dilate and constrict blood vessels: a mechanism of neurovascular couplingMonica R Metea
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Neurosci 26:2862-70. 2006..We found that light stimulation and glial cell stimulation can both evoke dilation or constriction of arterioles. Light-evoked and glial-evoked vasodilations were blocked by inhibitors of cytochrome P450 epoxygenase, the ..
- Revised formulas for summarizing retinal vessel diametersMichael D Knudtson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53726, USA
Curr Eye Res 27:143-9. 2003..Individual arterioles and venules were measured using semi-automated computer software from which summary measures were calculated...
- Aging impairs endothelium-dependent vasodilation in rat skeletal muscle arteriolesJudy M Muller-Delp
Department of Health and Kinesiology, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H1662-72. 2002..This study tested the hypothesis that aging results in impaired vasodilatory capacity of first-order (1A) arterioles isolated from rat-hindlimb locomotory muscle: 1A arterioles (90-220 microm) from gastrocnemius and soleus ..
- Dysfunction of human subcutaneous fat arterioles in obesity alone or obesity associated with Type 2 diabetesAdriana Georgescu
Petru Poni Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Iasi, Romania
Clin Sci (Lond) 120:463-72. 2011..Type 2 diabetes on the structure, vascular reactivity and response to insulin of isolated human subcutaneous fat arterioles; these effects were correlated with the expression of insulin signalling proteins...
- Calcium dynamics in cortical astrocytes and arterioles during neurovascular couplingJessica A Filosa
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington 05405 0068, USA
Circ Res 95:e73-81. 2004Neuronal activity in the brain is thought to be coupled to cerebral arterioles (functional hyperemia) through Ca2+ signals in astrocytes...
- Computer-assisted measurement of retinal vessel diameters in the Beaver Dam Eye Study: methodology, correlation between eyes, and effect of refractive errorsTien Yin Wong
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Ophthalmology 111:1183-90. 2004Narrowed retinal arterioles may independently predict cardiovascular disease...
- High-fat diet-induced obesity leads to increased NO sensitivity of rat coronary arterioles: role of soluble guanylate cyclase activationEva Jebelovszki
Second Department of Medicine and Center of Cardiology, University of Szeged, Szeged
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2558-64. 2008..Thus NO-mediated vasomotor responses were investigated in pressurized coronary arterioles ( approximately 100 microm) isolated from lean (on normal diet) and obese (fed with 60% of saturated fat) rats...
- Upregulation of vascular arginase in hypertension decreases nitric oxide-mediated dilation of coronary arteriolesCuihua Zhang
Department of Medical Physiology, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, Tex, USA
Hypertension 44:935-43. 2004..Because arginase has recently been shown to modulate NO-mediated dilation of coronary arterioles by reducing l-arginine availability, we hypothesized that upregulation of vascular arginase in hypertension ..
- Meta-analysis: retinal vessel caliber and risk for coronary heart diseaseKevin McGeechan
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Intern Med 151:404-13. 2009..Retinal vessel caliber may be a novel marker of coronary heart disease (CHD) risk. However, the sex-specific effect, magnitude of association, and effect independent of traditional CHD disease risk factors remain unclear...
- Peroxynitrite inhibits Ca2+-activated K+ channel activity in smooth muscle of human coronary arteriolesYanping Liu
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Zablocki VA Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wis 53226, USA
Circ Res 91:1070-6. 2002..inhibits calcium-activated K+ (KCa) channel activity in vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) of human coronary arterioles (HCAs), thereby reducing hyperpolarization-mediated vasodilation...
- Ageing diminishes endothelium-dependent vasodilatation and tetrahydrobiopterin content in rat skeletal muscle arteriolesMichael D Delp
Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Physiol 586:1161-8. 2008..was to determine whether arginase activity diminishes endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in skeletal muscle arterioles from old rats, and whether NOS substrate (L-arginine) and cofactor (tetrahydrobiopterin; BH(4)) concentrations ..
- Ageing and exercise training alter adrenergic vasomotor responses of rat skeletal muscle arteriolesAnthony J Donato
Department of Health and Kinisiology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Physiol 579:115-25. 2007..Isolated soleus (SOL) and gastrocnemius (GAS) muscle arterioles were studied in vitro...
- Impact of chronic treatment with red wine polyphenols (RWP) on cerebral arterioles in the spontaneous hypertensive ratSiu Lung Chan
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, Nancy Universite, Nancy, France
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 51:304-10. 2008..the chronic effect of red wine polyphenols (RWP) on the functional and structural characteristics of cerebral arterioles in chronic hypertension, which is an important risk factor of stroke...
- Effects of ageing and exercise training on endothelium-dependent vasodilatation and structure of rat skeletal muscle arteriolesScott A Spier
Department of Health and Kinesiology, Texas A and M University College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Physiol 556:947-58. 2004..b>Arterioles were isolated from the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles; luminal diameter changes were determined in response to ..
- The SOD mimetic tempol restores vasodilation in afferent arterioles of experimental diabetesC G Schnackenberg
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Kidney Int 59:1859-64. 2001..We tested the hypothesis that stimulated endothelium-dependent vasodilation is reduced in renal afferent arterioles in diabetes and is caused by an increase in vascular superoxide (O2(-)).
- Prominent role of KCa3.1 in endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-type dilations and conducted responses in the microcirculation in vivoStephanie E Wölfle
Department of Physiology, Universitat zu Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 82:476-83. 2009..Although EDHF is the main mediator of acetylcholine (ACh)-induced dilation in the murine skeletal microcirculation, the differential contribution of KCa3.1 and KCa2.3 is not known...
- Pioglitazone, a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonist, induces dilation of isolated porcine retinal arterioles: role of nitric oxide and potassium channelsTsuneaki Omae
Department of Ophthalmology, Asahikawa Medical University, Asahikawa, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6749-56. 2011....
- Pericytes in capillaries are contractile in vivo, but arterioles mediate functional hyperemia in the mouse brainFrancisco Fernández-Klett
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Laboratory of Molecular Psychiatry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22290-5. 2010..Precapillary arterioles were the smallest vessels to dilate, together with penetrating and pial arterioles...
- Computer algorithms for the automated measurement of retinal arteriolar diametersN Chapman
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine at NHLI, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1NY, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 85:74-9. 2001..These problems may be overcome using computer algorithms. Three automated methods and a manual method for measurement of arteriolar diameters from digitised red-free retinal photographs were compared...
- Recombinant human tumor necrosis factor alpha constricts pial arterioles and increases blood-brain barrier permeability in newborn pigletsP Megyeri
Department of Pediatrics, Albert Szent Gyorgyi Medical University, Szeged, Hungary
Neurosci Lett 148:137-40. 1992..TNF alpha may be involved in the pathophysiology of neonatal brain injuries...
- Simulation study of brain blood flow regulation by intra-cortical arterioles in an anatomically accurate large human vascular network: Part I: methodology and baseline flowS Lorthois
Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse, UMR CNRS INP UPS 5502, Toulouse, France
Neuroimage 54:1031-42. 2011..In particular, a correlation between the blood flow and the proportion of vascular volume occupied by arterioles or venules, at voxel scale, is highlighted...
- Ischemia-reperfusion selectively impairs nitric oxide-mediated dilation in coronary arterioles: counteracting role of arginaseTravis W Hein
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
FASEB J 17:2328-30. 2003..b>Arterioles (60-110 microm) isolated from non-ischemic and ischemic regions of subepicardium were cannulated and pressurized ..
- Impaired NO-dependent dilation of skeletal muscle arterioles in hypertensive diabetic obese Zucker ratsJ C Frisbee
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1304-11. 2001This study determined alterations to nitric oxide (NO)-dependent dilation of skeletal muscle arterioles from obese (OZR) versus lean Zucker rats (LZR)...
- Penetrating arterioles are a bottleneck in the perfusion of neocortexNozomi Nishimura
Department of Physics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:365-70. 2007Penetrating arterioles bridge the mesh of communicating arterioles on the surface of cortex with the subsurface microvascular bed that feeds the underlying neural tissue...
- AGE/RAGE produces endothelial dysfunction in coronary arterioles in type 2 diabetic miceXue Gao
Dept of Internal Medicine, Dalton Cardiovascular Research Center, Univ of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H491-8. 2008..The expression of RAGE in coronary arterioles was markedly increased in diabetic vs. control mice...
- Local potassium signaling couples neuronal activity to vasodilation in the brainJessica A Filosa
Department of Pharmacology, 89 Beaumont Avenue, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Nat Neurosci 9:1397-1403. 2006The mechanisms by which active neurons, via astrocytes, rapidly signal intracerebral arterioles to dilate remain obscure...
- Plasma fibronectin promotes thrombus growth and stability in injured arteriolesHeyu Ni
Center for Blood Research and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:2415-9. 2003..best-known platelet ligands, von Willebrand factor and fibrinogen, can still form occlusive thrombi in injured arterioles. The platelets of these animals accumulate excessive amounts of fibronectin (FN)...
- Retinal vessel diameters and risk of hypertension: the Rotterdam StudyM Kamran Ikram
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hypertension 47:189-94. 2006..quot; Within these strata, arteriolar narrowing was still related to incident hypertension. These data show that both retinal arteriolar and venular narrowing may precede the development of systemic hypertension...
- The frequency of calcium oscillations induced by 5-HT, ACH, and KCl determine the contraction of smooth muscle cells of intrapulmonary bronchiolesJose F Perez
Department of Physiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Gen Physiol 125:535-53. 2005..mechanisms regulating these contractions, we developed a mouse lung slice preparation containing bronchioles and arterioles and used phase-contrast and confocal microscopy to correlate the contractile responses with changes in [Ca(2+)](..
- Role for hydrogen peroxide in flow-induced dilation of human coronary arteriolesHiroto Miura
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wis 53226, USA
Circ Res 92:e31-40. 2003..FID) is dependent largely on hyperpolarization of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) in human coronary arterioles (HCA) from patients with coronary disease...
- Diabetic patients with retinopathy show increased retinal venous oxygen saturationMartin Hammer
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Jena, Bachstr 18, 07740, Jena, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:1025-30. 2009..Longstanding diabetes mellitus results in a disturbed microcirculation. A new imaging oximeter was used to investigate the effect of this disturbance on retinal vessel oxygen saturation...
- Quantitative genetic analysis of the retinal vascular caliber: the Australian Twins Eye StudyCong Sun
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, 1 32 Gisborne Street, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Hypertension 54:788-95. 2009..0 x 10(-4)). In this large twin population, genetic factors appear to play a significant role in the variation of retinal vascular caliber. Several putative loci were identified for the retinal vascular caliber...
- Retinal oximetry images must be standardized: a methodological analysisOlafur Palsson
University of Iceland, National University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:1729-33. 2012..We determine (1) the repeatability of retinal vessel oxygen saturation measurements, (2) whether measured saturation is different between retinal quadrants, and (3) whether the angle of gaze changes measurements of the same vessels...
- Shedding of the endothelial glycocalyx in arterioles, capillaries, and venules and its effect on capillary hemodynamics during inflammationHerbert H Lipowsky
Department of Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 16802, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H2235-45. 2011..in all microvessels with reductions in thickness of the barrier to 70-kDa dextran of 110, 80, and 123 nm, in arterioles, capillaries, and venules, respectively...
- Role of carbon monoxide in glutamate receptor-induced dilation of newborn pig pial arteriolesJames S Robinson
Laboratory for Research in Neonatal Physiology, Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H2371-6. 2002The hypothesis that glutamate dilates pial arterioles of newborn pigs through the production of carbon monoxide (CO) was addressed...
- Angiotensin II Ca2+ signaling in rat afferent arterioles: stimulation of cyclic ADP ribose and IP3 pathwaysSusan K Fellner
Dept of Cell and Molecular Physiology, Univ of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7545, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F785-91. 2005..To investigate the possibility that ANG II activates the ADPR cyclase of afferent arterioles, we used inhibitors of the IP(3)R, RyR, and ADPR cyclase...
- Variation associated with measurement of retinal vessel diameters at different points in the pulse cycleM D Knudtson
UW Madison Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, 610 N Walnut Street, 4th Floor WARF, Madison, WI 53726, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 88:57-61. 2004..To assess the variability in retinal vessel measurements at different points in the pulse cycle...
- Nitric oxide opposes myogenic pressure responses predominantly in large arterioles in vivoC de Wit
Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
Hypertension 31:787-94. 1998A myogenic vasoconstriction may amplify the effects of circulating vasoconstrictors. In cremaster arterioles, the contribution of a myogenic component to the constriction on intravenous infusion of norepinephrine (NE) or angiotensin II (..
- Rapid vasodilation in isolated skeletal muscle arterioles: impact of branch orderBruno T Roseguini
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Microcirculation 17:83-93. 2010..Cannulated first-order (1As) and third-order arterioles (3As) of the rat gastrocnemius (G) muscle were exposed to cumulative doses of KCl, acetylcholine (Ach), or ..
- Retinal arterioles narrow with increasing duration of anti-retroviral therapy in HIV infection: a novel estimator of vascular risk in HIV?Sophia Pathai
International Centre for Eye Health, Department of Clinical Research, Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e51405. 2012..The relationship of retinal vessel calibre with clinical and demographic characteristics was investigated in a population of HIV-infected individuals in South Africa...
- Hydrogen sulfide dilates cerebral arterioles by activating smooth muscle cell plasma membrane KATP channelsGuo Hua Liang
Dept of Physiology, Univ of Tennessee Health Science Ctr, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H2088-95. 2011..Western blot analysis indicated that piglet arterioles expressed inwardly rectifying K(+) 6.1 (K(ir)6...
- The roles of nitric oxide in dilating proximal and terminal arterioles of skeletal muscle during systemic hypoxiaN J Edmunds
Department of Physiology, The Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Vasc Res 40:68-76. 2003Indirect evidence suggests that dilatation evoked by systemic hypoxia in proximal and terminal arterioles of skeletal muscle is mediated by adenosine acting on A(1) receptors, but that the dilatation of proximal arterioles requires the ..
- Estrogen replacement therapy and retinal vascular caliberTien Yin Wong
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 112:553-8. 2005..It is unclear if estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) has an effect on the retinal circulation. In the current study, we examine the association of ERT, female reproductive factors, and retinal vascular caliber...
- Connexins pave the way for vascular communicationCor de Wit
Institut fur Physiologie, Universitat Lubeck, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
News Physiol Sci 19:148-53. 2004Coordinated behavior within arterioles is necessary for large resistance changes to occur and is reflected as a conduction of dilations/constrictions along arterioles...
- Carbon monoxide dilates cerebral arterioles by enhancing the coupling of Ca2+ sparks to Ca2+-activated K+ channelsJonathan H Jaggar
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
Circ Res 91:610-7. 2002..The goal of the present study was to investigate mechanisms of CO dilation in porcine cerebral arterioles. Data indicate that exogenous or endogenously produced CO is a potent activator of large-conductance Ca2+-..
- The permissive role of endothelial NO in CO-induced cerebrovascular dilationEbrahim Barkoudah
Dept of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 894 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H1459-65. 2004..Endothelium removal abolished dilations of pressurized pial arterioles to bradykinin and to the CO-releasing molecule Mn(2)(CO)(10) [dimanganese decacarbonyl (DMDC)] but not dilations ..
- Retinal arteriolar changes: intermediate pathways linking early life exposures to cardiovascular disease?Muhammad Bayu Sasongko
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Australia
Microcirculation 17:21-31. 2010....
- Bone marrow-derived cell-specific chemokine (C-C motif) receptor-2 expression is required for arteriolar remodelingMeghan M Nickerson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:1794-801. 2009....
- Effect of birth parameters on retinal vascular caliber: the Twins Eye Study in TasmaniaCong Sun
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Hypertension 53:487-93. 2009..07 to -1.48). This study demonstrates a consistent association between smaller birth size and narrower retinal arterioles in twins...
- Age impairs Flk-1 signaling and NO-mediated vasodilation in coronary arteriolesAmanda J LeBlanc
Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Cardiovascular Sciences, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, P O Box 9105, 1 Medical Center Dr, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H2280-8. 2008Impairment of flow-induced vasodilation in coronary resistance arterioles may contribute to the decline in coronary vasodilatory reserve that occurs with advancing age...
- In vivo reactive oxygen species production induced by ischemia in muscle arterioles of mice: involvement of xanthine oxidase and mitochondriaNathalie Baudry
Laboratoire d Etude de la Microcirculation, Université de Medecine Denis Diderot, Paris, France
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H821-8. 2008..at the venular side of the microcirculation have been reported, but very little is known about ROS production in arterioles. The objective of this work was to evaluate, in the arteriole wall in vivo, the temporal changes in superoxide ..
- Endogenous and exogenous NO attenuates conduction of vasoconstrictions along arterioles in the microcirculationBarbara Rodenwaldt
Physiologisches Institut, Universitat Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H2341-8. 2007..b>Arterioles were focally stimulated using high K(+) or acetylcholine in the cremaster muscle in situ, and diameter changes ..
- Upregulation of arginase by H2O2 impairs endothelium-dependent nitric oxide-mediated dilation of coronary arteriolesNaris Thengchaisri
Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Temple, TX 76502, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2035-42. 2006..However, mechanism(s) underlying coronary vascular dysfunction induced by H2O2 is unclear. We studied the effect of H2O2 on dilation of coronary arterioles to endothelium-dependent and endothelium-independent agonists.
- Arterioles' contribution to oxygen supply to the skeletal muscles at restMasahiro Shibata
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 0033, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 97:327-31. 2006We tested the hypothesis that oxygen is supplied to the resting skeletal muscle by arterioles rather than by capillaries...
- Epoxyeicosatrienoic and dihydroxyeicosatrienoic acids dilate human coronary arterioles via BK(Ca) channels: implications for soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibitionBrandon T Larsen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H491-9. 2006..We examined the capacity of EETs, DHETs, and sEH inhibition to affect vasomotor tone in isolated human coronary arterioles (HCAs). HCAs from right atrial appendages were prepared for videomicroscopy and immunohistochemistry...
- Estrogen replacement restores flow-induced vasodilation in coronary arterioles of aged and ovariectomized ratsAmanda J LeBlanc
Center for Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R1713-23. 2009..Coronary arterioles were isolated from young (6 mo), middle-aged (14 mo), and old (24 mo) intact, ovariectomized (OVX), and ..
- K+-induced dilation of hamster cremasteric arterioles involves both the Na+/K+-ATPase and inward-rectifier K+ channelsWendy R Burns
Department of Biological Sciences, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008 5410, USA
Microcirculation 11:279-93. 2004The mechanism by which elevated extracellular potassium ion concentration ([K+]o) causes dilation of skeletal muscle arterioles was evaluated.
- Acidosis dilates brain parenchymal arterioles by conversion of calcium waves to sparks to activate BK channelsFabrice Dabertrand
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, 89 Beaumont Avenue, B 303 Given Building, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
Circ Res 110:285-94. 2012..However, the role of this pathway in the brain microcirculation is not known...
- Impaired conduction of vasodilation along arterioles in connexin40-deficient miceC de Wit
Physiologisches Institut, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Circ Res 86:649-55. 2000..b>Arterioles were locally stimulated with hyperpolarizing dilators (acetylcholine [ACh] as well as bradykinin [Bk]) or ..
- Study of cerebral vascular structures in hypertensive intracerebral haemorrhageI E Pleşea
Department of Pathology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova
Rom J Morphol Embryol 46:249-56. 2005....
- Alterations of the architecture of subendocardial arterioles in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and impaired coronary vasodilator reserve: a possible cause for myocardial ischemiaB Schwartzkopff
Department of Cardiology, Pneumology and Angiology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 31:1089-96. 1998The study was designed to investigate the architecture of subendocardial arterioles of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) and angina pectoris with respect to coronary vasodilator reserve.
- Persistence of platelet thrombus formation in arterioles of mice lacking both von Willebrand factor and fibrinogenH Ni
The Center for Blood Research, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 106:385-92. 2000We used intravital microscopy to observe the formation of platelet plugs in ferric chloride-injured arterioles of live mice...
- Openers of small conductance calcium-activated potassium channels selectively enhance NO-mediated bradykinin vasodilatation in porcine retinal arteriolesT Dalsgaard
Department of Pharmacology, Aarhus University, Aarhus C, Denmark
Br J Pharmacol 160:1496-508. 2010..which are selective openers of SK(Ca) and IK(Ca) channels and of SK(Ca)2 and SK(Ca)3 channels, respectively, enhance endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in porcine retinal arterioles.
- Interaction between endogenously produced carbon monoxide and nitric oxide in regulation of renal afferent arteriolesFady T Botros
Dept of Physiology, Hypertension and Renal Center, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H2772-8. 2006..oxide (NO) exerts effects via the same pathways, we tested the interaction between CO and NO on rat afferent arterioles (AAs) using the blood-perfused juxtamedullary nephron preparation...
- Activation of JNK and xanthine oxidase by TNF-alpha impairs nitric oxide-mediated dilation of coronary arteriolesCuihua Zhang
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 702 Southwest H K Dodgen Loop, Temple, TX 76504, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 40:247-57. 2006..However, it is unclear whether vasodilator function of coronary resistance arterioles is susceptible to TNF...
- Model of nitric oxide diffusion in an arteriole: impact of hemoglobin-based blood substitutesMahendra Kavdia
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Center for Computational Medicine and Biology, School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H2245-53. 2002..The SM NO concentration was significantly reduced when the extravasation of HBOC molecules was considered. The myoglobin present in the parenchymal cells scavenges NO, which reduces the SM NO concentration...
- Effect of PAR2 in regulating TNF-α and NAD(P)H oxidase in coronary arterioles in type 2 diabetic miceYoonjung Park
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Pharmacology and Physiology and Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, Dalton Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Basic Res Cardiol 106:111-23. 2011..To test this, coronary arterioles from WT control, db/db, db/db mice treated with PAR2 antagonist FSLLRY-NH₂ (db/db+FSLLRY-NH₂) and db/db mice ..
- Sensory nerve innervation of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve containing calcitonin gene-related peptide: effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetesM A Yorek
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Exp Diabesity Res 5:187-93. 2004The authors have determined that epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve are innervated by nonadrenergic, noncholinergic nerves that contribute to the regulation of vasodilation...
- Mechanisms of diesel-induced endothelial nitric oxide synthase dysfunction in coronary arteriolesTom W Cherng
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico, Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:98-103. 2011..We hypothesize that acute DE inhalation leads to endothelial dysfunction by uncoupling NOS...
- Effect of treating streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with sorbinil, myo-inositol or aminoguanidine on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity and vascular function of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerveLawrence J Coppey
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52246, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:21-36. 2002..on motor nerve conduction velocity, endoneurial blood flow and endothelium-dependent vascular relaxation of arterioles that provide circulation to the region of the sciatic nerve...
- Rapid inhibition of vasoconstriction in renal afferent arterioles by aldosteroneT R Uhrenholt
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Circ Res 93:1258-66. 2003..We tested this proposal in microdissected, perfused rabbit renal afferent arterioles. Aldosterone had no effect on internal diameter in concentrations from 10(-10) to 10(-5) mol/L, but aldosterone ..
- Role of endothelial nitric oxide and smooth muscle potassium channels in cerebral arteriolar dilation in response to acidosisTetsuyoshi Horiuchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Stroke 33:844-9. 2002..The present study was designed to clarify whether potassium channels and endothelial nitric oxide are involved in acidosis-induced dilation of isolated rat cerebral arterioles.
- Anti-LOX-1 rescues endothelial function in coronary arterioles in atherosclerotic ApoE knockout miceXiangbin Xu
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4466, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:871-7. 2007We hypothesized that atherosclerosis inhibits NO-mediated endothelium-dependent dilation of coronary arterioles through interaction of ox-LDL with its receptor, LOX-1, through the production of O2ÿ- in endothelial cells.
- Blood pressure and retinal arteriolar narrowing in childrenPaul Mitchell
Centre for Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Hypertension 49:1156-62. 2007..Children with higher quartiles of blood pressure had significantly narrower retinal arterioles than those with lower blood pressure (retinal arteriolar caliber 162.8, 161.0, 157.8, and 157...
- Nanoparticle inhalation impairs endothelium-dependent vasodilation in subepicardial arteriolesA J Leblanc
Center for Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown 26506 9105, West Virginia, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:1576-84. 2009..Subepicardial arterioles ( approximately 150 mum in diameter) were isolated and responses to transmural pressure, flow-induced dilation (..
- Wall shear stress as measured in vivo: consequences for the design of the arterial systemRobert S Reneman
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, POB 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Med Biol Eng Comput 46:499-507. 2008..the assessment of WSS in the arterial system in vivo and present the results obtained in large arteries and arterioles. In vivo WSS can be estimated from wall shear rate, as derived from non-invasively recorded velocity profiles, ..
- Dynamic inositol trisphosphate-mediated calcium signals within astrocytic endfeet underlie vasodilation of cerebral arteriolesStephen V Straub
Department of Pharmacology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Gen Physiol 128:659-69. 2006Active neurons communicate to intracerebral arterioles in part through an elevation of cytosolic Ca(2+) concentration ([Ca(2+)](i)) in astrocytes, leading to the generation of vasoactive signals involved in neurovascular coupling...
- Vasodilator action of angiotensin-(1-7) on isolated rabbit afferent arteriolesYiLin Ren
Division of Hypertension and Vascular Research, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Mich 48202, USA
Hypertension 39:799-802. 2002..We first examined the direct effect of Ang-(1-7) on rabbit afferent arterioles microperfused in vitro, and we tested whether endothelium-derived relaxing factor/NO and cyclooxygenase products ..
- SKCa and IKCa Channels, myogenic tone, and vasodilator responses in middle cerebral arteries and parenchymal arterioles: effect of ischemia and reperfusionMarilyn J Cipolla
Department of Neurology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Stroke 40:1451-7. 2009..in myogenic tone and endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor (EDHF) responsiveness was investigated under control conditions and after ischemia and reperfusion in parenchymal arterioles (PA) versus middle cerebral arteries (MCA).
- Increased vascular thromboxane generation impairs dilation of skeletal muscle arterioles of obese Zucker rats with reduced oxygen tensionAdam G Goodwill
Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Cardiovascular Science, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia 26505, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1522-8. 2008..TxA(2)) production with reduced Po(2) contributes to impaired hypoxic dilation of skeletal muscle resistance arterioles of obese Zucker rats (OZRs) versus lean Zucker rats (LZRs)...
- Low birthweight is associated with narrower arterioles in adultsGerald Liew
Centre for Vision Research, University of Sydney, Department of Ophthalmology, Westmead Hospital, The Westmead Millennium Institute, Australia
Hypertension 51:933-8. 2008..These findings provide evidence that structural alterations in the arteriolar microcirculation may be a potential mechanism linking restricted fetal growth with subsequent risk of hypertension...
- Altered mechanisms of endothelium-dependent dilation in skeletal muscle arterioles with genetic hypercholesterolemiaPhoebe A Stapleton
Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Cardiovascular Science, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R1110-9. 2007With most cardiovascular disease risk factors, endothelium-dependent dilation of skeletal muscle resistance arterioles is compromised, although with hypercholesterolemia, impairments to reactivity are not consistently observed...
- Increased cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin-mediated dilation in coronary arterioles of patients with diabetes mellitusTamas Szerafin
Institute of Cardiology, University of Debrecen, Hungary
Circ Res 99:e12-7. 2006..in patients with DM changes in COX-2-dependent prostaglandin synthesis affect vasomotor responses of coronary arterioles. Arterioles were dissected from the right atrial appendages obtained at the time of cardiac surgery of patient ..
- Are retinal arteriolar abnormalities related to atherosclerosis?: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities StudyR Klein
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53705 2397, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:1644-50. 2000..Diameters of arterioles and venules were measured in digitized photographs, and a summary arteriolar-to-venular ratio was derived as an ..
- The influence of radial RBC distribution, blood velocity profiles, and glycocalyx on coupled NO/O2 transportXuewen Chen
School of Biomedical Engineering, Science, and Health Systems, Drexel Univ, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Appl Physiol 100:482-92. 2006....
- Flow-induced dilation of human coronary arterioles: important role of Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channelsH Miura
VA Medical Center, The Department of Medicine, and the Cardiovascular Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Circulation 103:1992-8. 2001..in the microcirculation, we hypothesized that hyperpolarization contributes importantly to FID of human coronary arterioles. METHODS AND RESULTS: Arterioles from atria or ventricles were cannulated for videomicroscopy...
- Wall shear stress differentially affects NO level in arterioles for volume expanders and Hb-based O2 carriersMahendra Kavdia
Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Microvasc Res 66:49-58. 2003..These predictions are consistent with the results of animal studies of vascular tone following administration of HBOCs and volume expanders...
- E3-targeted anti-TRPC5 antibody inhibits store-operated calcium entry in freshly isolated pial arteriolesShang Zhong Xu
Institute of Membrane and Systems Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H2653-9. 2006Smooth muscle cells in arterioles have pivotal roles in the determination of blood pressure and distribution of local blood flow...
- Constrictor and dilator effects of angiotensin II on cerebral arteriolesJean Martin Vincent
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, l Université Henri Poincaré Nancy I, 5 rue Albert Lebrun, 54000 Nancy, France
Stroke 36:2691-5. 2005In light of the equivocal data on the cerebral vasoconstrictor and vasodilator actions of angiotensin II (Ang II) and the potential clinical importance of this, we investigated the effects of Ang II on rat pial arterioles.
- Dilation of perforating arteries in rat brain in response to systemic hypotension is more sensitive and pronounced than that of pial arterioles: simultaneous visualization of perforating and cortical vessels by in-vivo microangiographyHiroshi Yoshino
Department of Internal and Geriatric Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Microvasc Res 77:230-3. 2009....
- Expression of connexin 37, 40, and 43 mRNA and protein in renal preglomerular arteriolesB Arensbak
Department of Medical Physiology, Division of Renal and Cardiovascular Research, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Histochem Cell Biol 115:479-87. 2001..Cx40, Cx37) mRNA and proteins in primary cultures of smooth muscle cells (SMC) from rat renal preglomerular arterioles and in the aortic cell line A7r5...
- Myogenic response in isolated porcine retinal arteriolesPeter Jeppesen
Department of Ophthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Denmark
Curr Eye Res 27:217-22. 2003To study the myogenic response in large and small porcine retinal arterioles and the effects of blockade of L-type voltage gated calcium channels on the myogenic response.
- Endothelin-1 is a critical mediator of myogenic tone in tumor arterioles: implications for cancer treatmentPierre Sonveaux
University of Louvain Medical School, Unit of Pharmacology and Therapeutics FATH 5349, Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 64:3209-14. 2004..Here, we showed that isolated tumor arterioles mounted in a pressure myograph have the ability, contrary to size-matched healthy arterioles, to contract in ..
- Role of calcium-activated potassium channels with small conductance in bradykinin-induced vasodilation of porcine retinal arteriolesThomas Dalsgaard
Department of Pharmacology, Aarhus University, Aarhus C, Denmark
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:3819-25. 2009..vasodilation were examined and whether calcium-activated potassium channels of small (SK(Ca)) and intermediate (IK(Ca)) conductance are involved in regulation of endothelium-dependent vasodilation in retinal arterioles was investigated.
- Simulation study of brain blood flow regulation by intra-cortical arterioles in an anatomically accurate large human vascular network. Part II: flow variations induced by global or localized modifications of arteriolar diametersS Lorthois
Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse, UMR CNRS INP UPS 5502, Toulouse, France
Neuroimage 54:2840-53. 2011....
- Myoendothelial electrical coupling in arteries and arterioles and its implications for endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factorHarold A Coleman
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 29:630-7. 2002..2. In a variety of vessels ranging in size from conduit arteries down to small arterioles, action potentials have been recorded from endothelial cells that were associated with constriction of the ..
- Enhanced contractility of renal afferent arterioles from angiotensin-infused rabbits: roles of oxidative stress, thromboxane prostanoid receptors, and endotheliumDan Wang
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension and the Cardiovascular Kidney Institute, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007 2197, USA
Circ Res 94:1436-42. 2004..prostanoid receptors (TP-Rs), or superoxide anion (O2-) mediates enhanced contractions of renal afferent arterioles (Aff) of angiotensin II (Ang II)-infused rabbits...
- Cooling-induced contraction and protein tyrosine kinase activity of isolated arterioles in secondary Raynaud's phenomenonP B Furspan
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:488-94. 2005To investigate the response of skin arterioles from control subjects and patients with scleroderma and Raynaud's phenomenon (RP/SSc) to cooling and modulators of protein tyrosine kinase (PTK) activity.
- Temporal and spatial variations of cell-free layer width in arteriolesSangho Kim
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0412, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H1526-35. 2007..This layer may be an important determinant of blood viscosity and wall shear stress in arterioles, where most of the hydraulic pressure loss in the circulatory system occurs and flow regulatory mechanisms are ..
- Ang II and Aldosterone Effects on Insulin Resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also employ direct visualization of skeletal muscle arterioles using video microscopy to evaluate insulin induced nitric oxide dependent vasodilation...
- Vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress in primary amyloidosisRAYMOND QUEZON MIGRINO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our preliminary results demonstrate impaired endothelial function in human adipose arterioles obtained from non-amyloid subjects following brief exposure to amyloid light chains...
- Electrochemical tools to measure local cerebral blood flow and metabolismROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..5-HT is a potent vasoconstrictor, and its terminals are adjacent to arterioles and capillaries suggesting it can exert action directly on blood vessels or indirectly by activation of ..
- Markers of Renal Damage in Renovascular HypertensionJuan C Romero; Fiscal Year: 2011..may benefit from medical treatment are related to the possible reversal of vascular hyperplasia in preglomerular arterioles and that residual circulation is sufficient to meet the metabolic demands of tubular hypertrophy...
- TRP channels in regulation of vascular toneDavid X Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..In human coronary arterioles (HCA), FMD results from the release of two entirely independent dilator factors: nitric oxide (NO) in subjects ..
- Endothelial-reactive antibodies: a diagnostic test for Susac's syndromeWILLIAM JAMES WALDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..It appears to result from microangiopathy affecting the precapillary arterioles of the brain, retina, and inner ear...
- Microvascular Dysfunction in HyperhomocysteinemiaShawn E Bearden; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Longitudinal transmission of vasodilatory signals along microvascular arterioles (conducted vasodilation;CVD) underlies the coordination of blood flow within microvascular networks and is an important ..
- Mineralocorticoid Receptor-Mediated Vascular Insulin ResistanceSHAWN BRADY BENDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..and ROK activation in primary cultured VSMC, freshly dispersed murine coronary VSMC and intact coronary arterioles. These parameters will be correlated to functional measures including arteriolar vasoconstriction, blood ..
- Mechanisms of Coronary Arteriolar Dysfunction in Type 2 DiabetesKhalid Matrougui; Fiscal Year: 2013..p65- NFkB activity and PARP-1 activity in coronary arterioles from db-/db- mice...
- Role of Neutrophil-Platelet Interactions in Vascular Occlusive DisordersNauder Faraday; Fiscal Year: 2010..distinct models in mice to test our hypotheses: tail bleeding time, ferric chloride-induced injury of mesenteric arterioles, and transient filament occlusion of the middle cerebral artery...
- Regulation of Adrenal Vascular Tone by Steroidogenic CellsWILLIAM BRYSON CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..ZG cells are in close anatomical proximity to the adrenal arterioles in the adrenal cortex allowing interactions...
- Calcium wave propagation along microvascular endothelial tubesMATTHEW JOHN SOCHA; Fiscal Year: 2012..blood flow reflects the coordination of activity among endothelial cells (ECs) and smooth muscle cell (SMCs) of arterioles and feed arteries (FA) that comprise microvascular resistance networks...
- Effects of Metabolic Disorders on Bone Marrow-Derived Cell FunctionGina C Schatteman; Fiscal Year: 2012..3) induce downstream targets of TNF1, IL-12, or MCP-1 limits their capacity to promote growth of capillaries, arterioles, or collaterals...
- Impact of adipokines and insulin resistance on progression of prehypertensionCynthia Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..2 Microvascular rarefaction (reduced number of arterioles and capillaries) is considered one of the earliest forms of target organ damage (TOD) in hypertension, and may ..
- Cardiopulmonary structure and function in Multi-Ethnic Study of AtherosclerosisR Graham Barr; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since the pulmonary arterioles and arteries in COPD respond to small increases in resistance at the level of the pulmonary capillaries by ..
- Chronic imaging of cellular dynamics after cortical microhemorrhageChris B Schaffer; Fiscal Year: 2013..In recent work, we used a novel laser-based approach to rupture targeted arterioles in the brain of mice and imaged the impact of these lesions using two-photon microscopy...
- Nanoliposome-based Treatment of Amyloid Protein (AL) ToxicityRAYMOND QUEZON MIGRINO; Fiscal Year: 2013..phosphatidic acid (PA) will bind LC derived from AL patients thereby reducing toxicity to ex-vivo human adipose arterioles. Second, we will test the hypothesis that NLs functionalized to carry clusterin (both through non-covalent and ..
- NO-Zinc Signaling in Intact Pulmonary EndotheliumCLAUDETTE MARIE ST CROIX; Fiscal Year: 2010..the pulmonary circulation relatively little is known regarding vasoconstriction of small (<50um) intra-acinar arterioles. Our preliminary data suggest that hypoxic induced increases in NO biosynthesis result in enhanced intracellular ..
- Adhesion Mechanisms Mediating Sickle Cell Vasooclusion In VivoPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, SNS nerves innervate arterioles, but not venules where leukocytes are recruited, raising the intriguing question as to how these signals are ..
- Flow-induced coronary vasospasm in diabetic patientsZsolt Bagi; Fiscal Year: 2013..changes in endothelial [Ca2+]i will be measured with Fura-2 fluorescence in intact, pressurized coronary arterioles to reveal spatial differences of [Ca2+]i elevations at subcellular level...
- Hydrogen Peroxide and Flow-Induced Dilation of Human Coronary MicrocirculationDavid D Gutterman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our recent data indicate that flow-mediated dilation (FMD) occurs in coronary arterioles from patients with coronary disease but operates through a novel mechanism involving endothelial production of ..
- Role of Cytokine-Induced Inflammation in Endothelial Dysfunction in DiabetesMichael A Hill; Fiscal Year: 2013..aim will causally determine the role of dendritic cell (DC) activation in endothelial dysfunction in coronary arterioles in type 2 diabetes...
- Biomarkers of Kidney PathologySushrut S Waikar; Fiscal Year: 2013..fibrotic, and ischemic pathological processes in the mesangium, tubules, glomeruli, interstitium, and arterioles;further immunohistochemistry will be performed on the most promising biomarkers to identify their tissue ..
- Physiological Disturbances Associated with Neonatal Intraventricular HemorrhageJEFFREY RADIN KAISER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Autonomic dysfunction may attenuate vasodilatory capacity of cerebral arterioles and impair cerebral autoregulation in ELBW infants...
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN THE KIDNEY IN HYPERTENSIONChristopher S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2013..It combines direct measures of MR in isolated perfused afferent arterioles with gene arrays and RNA seq analyses on these microvessels and fluorescence quantitation of ROS, and Ca2+ using ..
- Hydrogen Sulfide in Newborn Cerebral CirculationCharles W Leffler; Fiscal Year: 2013..used that allow investigation of intact newborn cerebral microcirculation in vivo, pressurized isolated cerebral arterioles, freshly isolated cerebral microvessels and smooth muscle cells, and cerebral microvascular endothelial cells in ..
- Role of Endothelin System and NAD(P)H Oxidase in Retinal Arteriolar DysfunctionTravis W Hein; Fiscal Year: 2012..IOP) impaired bradykinin-induced NO-mediated dilation and enhanced ET-1-mediated constriction in pig retinal arterioles. Intravitreal administration of superoxide scavenger TEMPOL or endothelin-converting enzyme (ECE) inhibitor ..
- Training-Muscle Blood Flow and Capillary DynamicsM Harold Laughlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..via reversal of microvascular rarefaction and improved INS-induced endothelium-dependent dilation (EDD) of skmus arterioles. We propose that EX increases shear stress (Sw), decreases inflammation and blood glucose which work ..
- Prevention of Diabetic Neuropathy with ACE InhibitorsMARK ANTHONY YOREK; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have shown that diabetes and obesity alters the activity of vasodilators in epineurial arterioles including nitric oxide (NO), endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor (EDHF) and CGRP...
- Subclinical Renal Artery Atherosclerosis, Kidney Function and HypertensionMatthew A Allison; Fiscal Year: 2011..Specifically, arteriosclerosis of the preglomerular arterioles leads to relative renal ischemia and subsequent activation of the rennin-angiotensin system ultimately leading ..
- INTERCELLULAR COORDINATION OF BLOOD FLOW CONTROLSteven S Segal; Fiscal Year: 2013..local control of blood flow reflects the coordination of activity among EC and SMC of the feed arteries (FA) and arterioles which comprise microvascular resistance networks...
- Fast calcium responses along arteriolar endothelium in vivoPooneh Bagher; Fiscal Year: 2010..the local control of blood flow represents a coordinated activity among the cells that comprise the walls of arterioles in microvascular resistance networks...
- CRCNS:US French Coll:Computational Imaging of the Aging Cerebral MicrovasculatureBradley P Sutton; Fiscal Year: 2013..of nutrients and wastes between blood and tissue occurs in the micro-vascular vessels, extending from the arterioles through the capillaries and into the venules...
- Regulation of conducted hyperpolarization in microvascular endothelial cell tubesERIK JOSEF BEHRINGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..provide the predominant cellular pathway for conducted hyperpolarization (CHP) through gap junctions (GJs) along arterioles and feed arteries...
- TRP Channel-Dependent Regulation of Arterial ToneScott Earley; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary: The luminal diameter of muscular arteries and arterioles of the microcirculation is the principal site of control of vascular resistance...
- Renal Vascular Reactivity in HypertensionWilliam J Arendshorst; Fiscal Year: 2013..coupled receptor-elicited Ca2+ signaling involving RyR and Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release in isolated afferent arterioles and renal vasoconstriction in vivo...
- Single molecule measurements on von Willebrand factor A1 and A2 domainsTimothy A Springer; Fiscal Year: 2013..VWF acts as a flow sensor, and elevated flow at sites of bleeding in arterioles, and binding to subendothelial collagen, activate VWF...
- Maintenance and Rarefaction of the Native Collateral CirculationJames E Faber; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies we have found that COLs have remarkable structural and functional specializations, compared to arterioles in the general circulation, e.g...
- Effect of Spironolactone of Collagen Synthesis in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionZeenat Safdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..PAH is a lethal disease characterized by remodeling of pulmonary arterioles with hypertrophy and collagen deposition...
- Role of Cortical Microvascular Lesions in Amyloid-Beta AccumulationChris B Schaffer; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will produce microvascular clots and hemorrhages in individual cortical penetrating arterioles and capillaries in transgenic AD mice that express amyloid precursor protein (Mo/HuAPP695swe) and mutant ..
- Acute Collateral Enhancement in Focal StrokeAl C Ngai; Fiscal Year: 2010..involves a remote filament MCAO technique, cranial window methodology to monitor changes in diameter of pial arterioles, laser speckle contrast imaging, and continuous laser-Doppler perfusion measurement...
- Mechanisms of rapid paravascular fluid transport in the brainJeffrey J Iliff; Fiscal Year: 2012..fluid transport is directional, with fluid from the cortical surface moving inward along penetrating arterioles to the level of cerebral capillaries...
- Thyroid hormone regulation of vasculature in adult myocardiumAnthony Martin Gerdes; Fiscal Year: 2010..hypothyroidism induced by either thyroidectomy or propylthioruacil (PTU) leads to a dramatic loss of myocardial arterioles within 6 weeks, we have shown a robust increase in myocardial arterioles within 1...
- Impact of Alcohol on Hemorrhagic Shock-Induced Microvascular DysfunctionJerome W Breslin; Fiscal Year: 2012..exacerbates hemorrhagic shock-induced microvascular leakage by inhibiting myogenic autoregulation in resistance arterioles, causing increased capillary pressure and plasma filtration, and by increasing paracellular permeability of ..
- CONTROL OF NEONATAL CIRCULATIONCharles W Leffler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Asphyxia injures astrocytes causing loss of CO-mediated dilation of pial arterioles, 2. Asphyxia depresses cerebral VSM CO-induced Ca2+ sparks, BKCa channel activity, and dilation, 3...
- Vascular control by K+ channel traffickingJonathan H Jaggar; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Small (resistance-size) cerebral arteries and arterioles control regional brain blood flow, thereby providing neurons and other brain cells with necessary oxygen and nutrients...
- Cerebrovascular Changes in Pregnancy and HypertensionMarilyn J Cipolla; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary studies suggest for the first time that pregnancy causes outward remodeling of cerebral arterioles, an effect that likely diminishes small vessel resistance in the brain during acute hypertension...
- Microcirculation in Health and DiseaseRobert L Hester; Fiscal Year: 2012..response to exercise, skeletal muscle blood flow increases dramatically through a functional vasodilation of the arterioles. We have demonstrated that arachidonic acid metabolites are important in the control of muscle blood flow...
- Signaling Mechanisms in Myogenic Tone of Skeletal Muscle Arterioles: Role of BKCaMichael A Hill; Fiscal Year: 2012..has been proposed to serve as a 'feedback'inhibitor, preventing excessive myogenic constriction of arterioles as intralumenal pressure increases...
- Volumetric imaging of blood perfusion and tissue morphology in the cochleaRuikang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..systematically investigated for the first time at the resolution level of identifiable vessel classes (artery, arterioles, capillaries, venues and vein)...
- Multiscale, Transport-Dependent NO Signaling: Cells to Vascular NetworksDov Jaron; Fiscal Year: 2013..flow, PO2 and NO, combined with vessel diameter measurements, will be obtained from individual small arteries, arterioles, venules, and small veins under normal and abnormal physiological conditions to characterize relationships among ..
- Imaging for Y90 Microscphere SIRT PlanningAnthony J McGoron; Fiscal Year: 2012..with the radioactive isotope Y-90 (a high-energy beta particle-emitting radioisotope) become lodged in the arterioles within the tumor and destroy the tumor while leaving the normal liver tissue mostly unharmed...
- Coronary Vasculature Progenitor Cell in Human Ischemic Heart FailureAnnarosa Leri; Fiscal Year: 2012..damaged large coronary arteries with newly formed vessels and to correct rarefaction of resistance coronary arterioles and capillary structures by expansion of the cardiac microcirculation...
- Effects of obstructive sleep apnea on cerebral circulationRobert M Bryan; Fiscal Year: 2013..ROS and endothelin act in a pathological cycle to produce a hypercontractile phenotype in cerebral arteries and arterioles. That is, during OSA, generation of ROS upregulates the endothelin pathway and the endothelin pathway generates ..
- The Regulation of CBF by AdenosineH Winn; Fiscal Year: 2009..endothelial cells or vascular smooth muscle mediate ADO-induced conduction of dilator signals along cerebral arterioles, (3) that with glutamate stimulation, astrocytes are a cellular source for ADO release, (4) that in the cerebral ..
- Mechanisms of microvascular remodeling progressionLuis A Martinez-Lemus; Fiscal Year: 2013..multiphoton imaging technique developed in our laboratories, we recently demonstrated that VSM cells in isolated arterioles re-lengthen and rapidly change position during prolonged vasoconstriction (a hallmark of hypertension) while the ..
- Defining the Logic of Neurovascular Signaling in the BrainDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current literature on molecular signaling between neurons and arterioles, based mainly on slice preparations, points to a competition between vasoactive signaling molecules that dilate ..
- Vascular Consequences of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube ExposurePHOEBE STAPLETON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The endothelium-dependent microvascular dysfunction of the coronary arterioles persists up to 168-hours after inhalation exposure...
- Notch Enhances Shear-mediated Arteriogenesis in Cerebral VesselsTYSON NAM KIM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Arterial occlusion results in arteriogenesis, a process by which small collateral arterioles remodel into larger conduit arteries that reroute blood and improve flow to the ischemic tissue...
- Defining the Logic of Neurovascular Signaling in the BrainDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2011..The current literature on molecular signaling between neurons and arterioles, based mainly on slice preparations, points to a competition between vasoactive signaling molecules that dilate ..
- Tubuloglomerular feedback and salt-sensitive hypertensionRuisheng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..by raising NaCl delivery to the macula densa (MD), which triggers signals that enhance the tone of the afferent arterioles and thereby reduces GFR...
- Maternal Nanomaterial Exposures: Fetal Microvascular Endpoints and ProgrammingTimothy R Nurkiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Three specific aims will be completed in rats with ENM inhalation exposure, intravital microscopy, isolated arterioles, transcriptomics and epigenetics...
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS AND CORONARY VASOMOTIONJOHN SILL; Fiscal Year: 1992..arteries that conduct blood from the aorta to myocardium and smaller distal intramyocardial arteries and arterioles that regulate flow. Coronary artery disease affects only the proximal epicardial vessels, not the arterioles...
- MICROVASCULAR PERMEABILITY OF THE CEREBRAL CIRCULATIONWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Thus, changes in pulse pressure may modulate endothelium dependent responses of cerebral arterioles. I plan to 1) examine effects of pulse pressure on arterioles, and determine if prostaglandins and EDRF modulate ..
- Constrictor / Mitogen Induced Remodeling of Cerebral ArteriolesJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2009..is to quantify, for the first time, biomechanical, functional, and immunohistochemical changes in cerebral arterioles that result from blood clot associated constrictors, smooth muscle mitogens, and transglutaminases that are ..
- FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF OXYGEN DELIVERYMarcos Intaglietta; Fiscal Year: 2004Our hypothesis is that arterioles are the principal suppliers of oxygen to skeletal muscle at rest and connective tissue, and that a substantial fraction of the oxygen delivered to the tissue by the arterioles is used by the arteriolar ..
- Role of NO and Endothelin in Human NECGAIL BESNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..expression of eNOS and an increased expression of ET-1 in intestine from NEC patients; as well, mesenteric arterioles harvested from NEC intestine demonstrated a reduced role for endogenous NO in vascular regulation, but an ..
- MICROVASCULAR ABNORMALITIES IN SEPSISSteven Hollenberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The most important determinant of peripheral vascular resistance is the tone of resistance arterioles, and modulation of tone in these arterioles results from a complex interplay of local vasodilators and ..
- Physiological Basis of Vascular ContractilityDavid Zawieja; Fiscal Year: 2006..In response to pressure elevation, arterioles exhibit strong, sustained constrictions; venules transient, weak constrictions; lymphatics increase their rate ..
- Role of Vascular Heterogeneity in ThrombosisBarbara Furie; Fiscal Year: 2006..we have determined the kinetics of thrombus formation after laser induced endothelial cell injury in the arterioles of the mouse cremaster muscle, have begun to explore the incorporation of components of the thrombus and have ..
- Regulation of Vascular Tone and Ca channels by IntegrinsMichael Davis; Fiscal Year: 2009..calcium-activated K+ channel) currents in single rat or mouse VSM cells and diameter responses of isolated arterioles in conjunction with adenoviral methods and transgenic animals to manipulate the expression of selected proteins ..
- Flow-Mediated Dilation of Human Coronary ArteriolesDavid D Gutterman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent data from our laboratory indicate that flow-mediated dilation (FMD) occurs in coronary arterioles from patients with coronary disease however it operates through a novel mechanism involving endothelial ..
- ROLE OF L-ARGININE IN CONTROL OF BRAIN MICROCIRCULATIONWilliam Rosenblum; Fiscal Year: 1993..Tests of the hypotheses will be performed on mouse pial arterioles in vivo. Diameter will be monitored by TV microscopy...