Genomes and Genes
Summary: Paired but separate cavity within the THORACIC CAVITY. It consists of the space between the parietal and visceral PLEURA and normally contains a capillary layer of serous fluid that lubricates the pleural surfaces.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Single-center experience with 250 tunnelled pleural catheter insertions for malignant pleural effusionAlain Tremblay
Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Health Sciences Center, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB, T2N 4N1 Canada
Chest 129:362-8. 2006..Malignant pleural effusions (MPEs) are a common cause of dyspnea in patients with advanced cancer. Tunnelled pleural catheters (TPCs) can be used in patients with this condition, but the published experience with them is limited...
- Multi-walled carbon nanotubes translocate into the pleural cavity and induce visceral mesothelial proliferation in ratsJiegou Xu
Laboratory of Nanotoxicology Project, Nagoya City University, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer Sci 103:2045-50. 2012..b>Pleural cavity lavage fluid, lung and chest wall were then collected...
- Blockade of proteinase-activated receptor-4 inhibits the eosinophil recruitment induced by eotaxin-1 in the pleural cavity of miceA D Braga
Departamento de Farmacologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Pharmacology 86:224-30. 2010....
- Anti-adhesive membrane for pleural cavityYasuharu Noishiki
Division of Artificial Organ Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama City University, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, Japan
Artif Organs 34:224-9. 2010..membrane containing a large amount of glycerin was developed for lung surgery and was tested in the pleural cavity of six dogs...
- Mast cell tryptase induces eosinophil recruitment in the pleural cavity of mice via proteinase-activated receptor 2Natália A Matos
Department of Pharmacology, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Inflammation 36:1260-7. 2013..the ability of MC tryptase or PAR-2 activating peptide (SLIGRL-NH2) to induce eosinophil recruitment to the pleural cavity of mice. Mast cell tryptase-injected mice were pretreated with PAR-2 antagonist ENMD-1068...
- Massive immature mediastinal teratoma extending into the left pleural cavityNicholas P McLeod
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal North Shore Hospital, PO Box M7, Missenden Road, Camperdown, Sydney 2005, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 14:45-7. 2005..The tumor arose from the left lobe of the thymus and extended into the left pleural cavity, completely compressing the left lung and extensively shifting the mediastinum to the right...
- Aspergillus fumigatus fungus ball in the pleural cavityLuciana Silva Guazzelli
Laboratorio de Micologia, Hospital Santa Rita, Complexo Hospitalar Santa Casa de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 38:125-32. 2012To report the cases of 6 patients with fungus ball caused by Aspergillus fumigatus (aspergilloma) in the pleural cavity.
- In vivo three-dimensional imaging of normal tissue and tumors in the rabbit pleural cavity using endoscopic swept source optical coherence tomography with thoracoscopic guidanceTuqiang Xie
University of California Irvine, Beckman Laser Institute, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, California 92612, USA
J Biomed Opt 14:064045. 2009..The imaging probe of the system was found to be easily adaptable to various sites within the thoracic cavity and can be readily adapted to other sites, including rigid airway endoscopic examinations...
- Use of tunnelled catheters for malignant pleural effusions in patients fit for pleurodesisA Tremblay
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Health Sciences Center, Calgary, AB, Canada
Eur Respir J 30:759-62. 2007..Tunnelled pleural catheters are an effective way of controlling malignant pleural effusions when used as first-line treatment in patients who appear to be candidates for pleurodesis procedures...
- A unique case of serous psammocarcinoma of the ovary presenting with pleural effusion and manifesting psammoma body implants in the pleural cavity and pericardiumAileen V Tiro
Department of Internal Medicine, HCA Suncoast Hospital, an affiliate of Largo Medical Center, Largo, FL, USA
Gynecol Oncol 113:402-4. 2009..Psammomatous carcinoma is rare, with few cases having been reported to date...
- Ectopic varices in a right diaphragm that ruptured into the pleural cavityMasayuki Matsui
Department of Internal Medicine, Tone Chuo Hospital, Numata, Gunma 378 0053, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 60:229-32. 2006..experienced a rare case of ectopic varices that developed in the right diaphragm and ruptured into the pleural cavity. A 68-year-old female with hepatocellular carcinoma complicated with liver cirrhosis was admitted due to an ..
- [An old ventricular lead migration and subsequent dislodgement to the pleural cavity - an unusual complication of permanent cardiac pacing]Elzbieta Adamowicz-Czoch
Sekretariat III Katedry i Oddziału Kardiologii Slaskiego Centrum Chorób Serca, ul Szpitalna 2, 41 800 Zabrze, Poland
Kardiol Pol 66:869-72. 2008..Chest radiogram and computerised tomography revealed an unusual location of an old ventricular lead which proximal, sharp end migrated through the venous system via right ventricle and pericardium to the left pleural cavity.
- The importance of pleural fluid and serum NT-proBNP levels in differentiating pleural effusion due to heart failure from other causes of effusionEkrem Cengiz Seyhan
Department of Chest Diseases, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Intern Med 48:287-93. 2009..The aim of our study was to assess the diagnostic performance of the amino-terminal fragment of pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) in pleural fluid and serum for the identification of pleural effusion owing to heart failure...
- Chest wall necrosis and empyema resulting from attempting suicide by injection of petroleum into the pleural cavityM Eskandarlou
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, 105 Saeedieh Street, Hamedan, Iran
Emerg Med J 27:616-8. 2010....
- Postpneumonectomy and postlobectomy empyemaFarid Gharagozloo
Washington Institute of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The George Washington University Medical Center, 2175 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Thorac Surg Clin 16:215-22. 2006..If at all possible, PLE should be managed as a postpneumonic empyema with prolonged chest tube drainage. The key to these conditions is prevention...
- Therapeutic thoracentesis: the role of ultrasound and pleural manometryDavid Feller-Kopman
Medical Procedure Service, Interventional Pulmonology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 13:312-8. 2007..This review summarizes the relevant data behind the use of ultrasound and manometry and explores their use during therapeutic thoracentesis..
- Cerebral air embolism after intrathoracic anti-cancer drug administrationYoshinori Yamashita
Department of Surgery, Hiroshima City Asa Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1121-3. 2006..It seems that the anti-cancer agent evoked inflammation at the visceral pleura and the subject inhaled massive air flow into the systemic circulation...
- Supradiaphragmatic and transdiaphragmatic intrathoracic migration of a ventriculoperitoneal shunt catheterM H Rahimi Rad
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Hong Kong Med J 13:147-9. 2007..To our knowledge this is the first report of the simultaneous occurrence of two types of such migration in one patient...
- [Treatment of empyema and complicated pleural effusion with intrapleural fibrinolysis]Eduardo Montero Ruiz
Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital Universitario Príncipe de Asturias Alcalá de Henares Madrid Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 121:98-9. 2003..Few clinical trials on IPF for the treatment of empyemas (PEM) and complicated pleural effusions (CPE) have been reported. We describe here our experience with IPF in the treatment of PEM/CPE patients...
- Physiology and pathophysiology of pleural fluid turnoverL Zocchi
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Via Mangiagalli 32, 20133 Milan, Italy
Eur Respir J 20:1545-58. 2002..Except in the first case, pleural fluid protein concentration increases above normal: this feature underlies the classification of pleural effusions into transudative and exudative...
- Regional recruitment of rat diaphragmatic lymphatics in response to increased pleural or peritoneal fluid loadAndrea Moriondo
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche Sperimentali e Cliniche, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, via J H Dunant 5, 21100 Varese, Italy
J Physiol 579:835-47. 2007....
- Intrapleural fibrinolytic therapy in complicated parapneumonic effusion and empyema: present statusM S Barthwal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Military Hospital, Namkum, Ranchi, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 50:277-82. 2008..In view of this, there is a need to re-define its role especially in the developing countries...
- Induction of pleural empyema in rats by thoracentesis with intrapleural pressure monitoringLuciano F Schopf
Graduate Program in Medicine Surgery, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 20:515-9. 2004..We conclude that empyema may be induced in rats by the inoculation of Staphylococcus aureus by means of thoracentesis with pleural pressure monitoring. The highest amount of pleural fluid was observed 3 days after bacterial inoculation...
- [Hepatic hydrothorax]J M Fernández Font
An Med Interna 22:253-4. 2005
- Transdiaphragmatic transport of tracer albumin from peritoneal to pleural liquid measured in ratsStephen J Lai-Fook
Center for Biomedical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0070, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:2212-21. 2005..Thus the pleural uptake of tracer via the diaphragm with the IP injections occurred by the near-normal transport of liquid and protein...
- Medical management of parapneumonic pleural diseaseN P Barnes
Department of Paediatrics, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 39:127-34. 2005..In conclusion, antibiotic therapy with chest drain insertion and intrapleural urokinase is effective in treating complex parapneumonic effusion and is associated with a good long-term outcome...
- [The treatment of parapneumonic effusions and pleural empyemas]H Hamm
Rehabilitationsklinik für Atemwegs und Tumorerkrankungen der Asklepios Nordseeklinik, Westerland Sylt
Pneumologie 59:696-703. 2005..The single most important intervention is the early and effective drainage of the pleural cavity. Loculated effusions that do not promptly improve after drainage can additionally be treated by a trial of ..
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy versus pleurectomy/decortication in the surgical management of malignant pleural mesothelioma: results in 663 patientsRaja M Flores
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:620-6, 626.e1-3. 2008..We performed a multi-institutional study to increase statistical power to detect significant differences in outcome between extrapleural pneumonectomy and pleurectomy/decortication...
- Invited commentaryMark S Soberman
Section of Thoracic Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, 106 Irving St, NW, Suite 3150 North, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1661-2. 2007
- Large-volume thoracentesis and the risk of reexpansion pulmonary edemaDavid Feller-Kopman
Department of Interventional Pulmonology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1656-61. 2007..There are, however, significant clinical benefits to removing more than 1 L of fluid. The purpose of this study was to define the incidence of RPE among patients undergoing large-volume (> or = 1 L) thoracentesis...
- Distribution and mixing of a liquid bolus in pleural spaceFrancesca Bodega
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 32, I 20133 Milano, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 150:287-99. 2006..3 ml hydrothoraces lasting 3 h [Bodega, F., Agostoni, E., 2004. Contribution of lymphatic drainage through stomata to albumin removal from pleural space. Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol. 142, 251-263]...
- [Utility of digital thoracotomy in chest trauma]Sebastián E Vélez
Servicio de Cirugia General, Departamento de Cirugía de Tórax, Hospital Municipal de Urgencias de Córdoba, Catamarca 441, 5000, Cordoba, Argentina
Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba 63:7-10. 2006toracostomy in thoracic trauma is a good opportunity for the digital exploration of pleural cavity.
- [Pleural puncture]K Purkabiri
Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Klinik für Innere Medizin V, Geb 91, Pneumologie, Allergologie, Beatmungs und Umweltmedizin66421 Homburg Saar
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:519-21. 2007
- Stromal-derived factor-1alpha/CXCL12-CXCR 4 axis is involved in the dissemination of NSCLC cells into pleural spaceKen ichi Oonakahara
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University Faculty of Medicine, National Minami kyushu Hospital, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:671-7. 2004..Cancer cells in malignant PE expressed CXCR4, and mesothelial cells of the pleura stained positive for SDF-1alpha. The SDF-1alpha/CXCR4 axis is involved in the dissemination of NSCLC cells into pleural space...
- [Effects of pleural drainage using central venous catheter and simple aspiration in treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax: a clinical comparative study]Wan li Ma
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science an Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:1749-51. 2007..To compare the curative effects and expenses of pleural drainage by using central venous catheter and of simple aspiration by thoracentesis in treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax...
- [Set for hermetization during transportation and draining of the pleural cavity]I Topalov
Khirurgiia (Sofiia) 59:54-6. 2003..transportation of the injured requires hermetization of the open pneumothorax with ensured draining of the pleural cavity in order to eliminate the possibility of the appearance of a valve pneumothorax...
- Influence of lymphocytes in malignant pleural effusion on the therapeutic efficacy of intrapleural OK-432 in lung cancer patientsTetsuo Shimizu
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Oyaguchi Kamichou, Tokyo
Intern Med 45:715-20. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine, in a case-control study, whether or not the rate of lymphocytes in malignant pleural effusion (lymphocyte rate) influences the therapeutic efficacy of intrapleural OK-432...
- [Comparison of intrapleural OK-432 and cisplatin for malignant pleural effusion in lung cancer patients]Tetsuo Shimizu
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 32:1139-43. 2005..Intrapleural OK-432 seemed to be better tolerated in the treatment of malignant pleural effusion than intrapleural CDDP...
- Emerging paradigms in the management of malignant pleural effusionsGhulam Khaleeq
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia PA, USA
Respir Med 102:939-48. 2008..Despite multiple new therapies placement of chest tube with sclerotherapy remains the standard of care. The purpose of this article is to review the emerging therapeutic options for MPE management...
- Spectrum of mycobacterial infections: tuberculosis and Mycobacterium other than tuberculosis in dialysis patientsAnna Basok
Department of Nephrology, Soroka University Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:448-51. 2007..Patients with end-stage renal disease are at high risk of mycobacterial infection...
- Repeated thoracentesis: an important risk factor for eosinophilic pleural effusion?M A Martinez Garcia
Pneumology Service, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Respiration 70:82-6. 2003..Repeated thoracenteses (RTs) are normally considered a frequent cause of EPE. Yet, to our knowledge, there is no firm evidence (apart from anecdotal case reports) supporting such a statement...
- A study of empyema thoracis and role of intrapleural streptokinase in its managementAmit Banga
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi 110029, India
BMC Infect Dis 4:19. 2004..The present study was carried out to describe the clinical profile and outcome of patients with empyema thoracis including those with chronic empyema and to study the efficacy and safety of intrapleural streptokinase in its management...
- [Intrapleural streptokinase-streptodornase in the treatment of empyema and hemothorax]K Fujiwara
Department of Surgery, National Kinki chuou Hospital, Sakai, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:1115-9. 2002..One patient required decortication when SK-SD therapy failed. Intrapleural SK-SD is a safe, effective means of removing retained proteinaceous collections in the pleural space. It may obviate the need for more invasive procedures...
- Cytology of body fluids from different sites: an approach for early diagnosis of malignancyS B Pradhan
KMC Teaching Hospital, Sinamangal, Kathmandu, Nepal
JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 45:353-6. 2006..5% squamous cell carcinoma 2.7% and small cell carcinoma comprised 1.8 %. Exfoliative cytology is cheap, rapid and highly effective tool for the evaluation of body fluid and should be advised in all effusion cases...
- Effect of thoracentesis on respiratory mechanics and gas exchange in the patient receiving mechanical ventilationPeter Doelken
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine 7D, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Chest 130:1354-61. 2006..This study reports the effect of thoracentesis on respiratory mechanics and gas exchange in patients receiving mechanical ventilation. Study design: Prospective...
- Immunoglobulin crystal-storing histiocytosis in a pleural effusion from a woman with IgA kapa multiple myeloma: a case reportIgnacio Galed-Placed
Section of Cytology, Service of Anatomic Pathology, Hospital Juan Canalejo, La Coruna, Spain
Acta Cytol 50:539-41. 2006..This report presents the first case of CSH diagnosed on pleural fluid from a patient with multiple myeloma (MM)...
- Intrapleural extravasation of epirubicin, 5-fluouracil, and cyclophosphamide, treated with dexrazoxaneJoris W F Uges
Medical Centre Haaglanden, Lijnbaan 32, Postbus 432, 2501CK, The Hague, The Netherlands
Int J Clin Oncol 11:467-70. 2006..We do emphasis the need for stringent surgical and oncological nursing procedures when using central venous access catheters in oncology...
- Clinical spectrum of tuberculous pleural effusion in childrenChih Yung Chiu
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatr Int 49:359-62. 2007..The aim of this study was to describe the clinical characteristics and potentially diagnostic specimens of pediatric patients with tuberculous pleural effusion (TPE) to make a prompt diagnosis...
- Subarachnoid-pleural fistula as a complication of malignant pleural mesotheliomaChristoph M Heyer
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, Interventional Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Ruhr University of Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Respirology 11:502-5. 2006..The beta-trace protein may help to establish this diagnosis especially in cases where important therapeutic consequences may need to be drawn...
- Pleural effusions in the pediatric populationOri Efrati
The Pediatrics Pulmonary Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer Hospital, Ramat Gan, Israel
Pediatr Rev 23:417-26. 2002
- Pleural aspergillosis with bronchopleurocutaneous fistula and costal bone destruction: a case reportEnrique J Soto-Hurtado
Pneumology Service, Carlos Haya Hospital, Malaga, Spain
Lung 183:417-23. 2005..Despite immediate antifungal therapy, the patient died. We believe this to be the first report of pleural Aspergillus with a bronchopleurocutaneous fistula and costal bone destruction...
- Intrathoracic dislodgement of pleuro-amniotic shunt. Three case reports with long -term follow-upWaldo Sepulveda
Fetal Medicine Center, Clinica Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Fetal Diagn Ther 20:102-5. 2005..Intrathoracic shunt dislodgement is a rare, although significant, complication of pleuro-amniotic shunting. In a previously reported case, the abnormally located shunt caused constriction of the pulmonary hilum resulting in neonatal death...
- [A case of mediastinal pancreatic pseudocysts which ruptured into the pleural cavity and emerged pancreatic pleural effusion]Yukihisa Sawada
Division of Gastroenterology, Omiya Medical Center, Jichi Medical School
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 101:188-90. 2004
- Pleural effusions in the intensive care unitElie Azoulay
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hôpital Saint Louis et Université Paris, France
Curr Opin Pulm Med 9:291-7. 2003..Lastly, the author suggests a research agenda for pleural effusions in intensive care unit patients...
- Imaging of pleural fluid in healthy individualsI Kocijancic
Department of Radiology, Institute of Oncology, Zaloska, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Clin Radiol 59:826-9. 2004..The aim of the present study was to determine the ability of radiography and ultrasonography to detect normal pleural fluid in healthy individuals and to assess the frequency of this finding...
- Sonography of pleural space in healthy individualsKsenija Kocijancic
Institute of Radiology, Clinical Center, Zaloska 7, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Ultrasound 33:386-9. 2005....
- Re-expansion pulmonary oedemaRandeep Guleria
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Lancet 366:236. 2005
- Bilateral pleural effusions following central venous cannulationP L Tan
Department of Radiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Postgrad Med 53:117-8. 2007..Respiratory distress should not only raise the clinical suspicion of a pneumothorax but also of erosion and perforation of the central vein. The mechanism, diagnosis, management and prevention of this complication are discussed...
- [Massive pleural cavity effusion as the manifestation for the pancreatico-pleural fistula]Maria Łazicka-Frelek
Klinika Chorób Wewnetrznych CMKP, Szpital im W Orłowskiego, Warszawie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 108:1079-83. 2002
- Ultrasonographic forms of pleural space in healthy childrenKsenija Kocijancic
Institute of Radiology, University Medical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Coll Antropol 31:999-1002. 2007..Such a positive result (less than 4 mm in the elbow position), if isolated, should be taken as normal finding, and requires no additional investigation...
- Diagnostic imaging of small amounts of pleural fluid: pleural effusion vs. physiologic pleural fluidIgor Kocijancic
Clinical Institute of Radiology, University Medical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Coll Antropol 31:1195-9. 2007..We suggest that the term pleural fluid should determine physiologic pleural space condition while the term pleural effusion should only be used in the cases of pleural involvement or pleural illness...
- Blunt traumatic injuries of the lung parenchyma, pleura, thoracic wall, and intrathoracic airways: multidetector computer tomography imaging findingsGuillermo P Sangster
Department of Radiology, LSUHSC S, 1501 Kings Highway, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Emerg Radiol 14:297-310. 2007..The limitations of the initial chest radiography and the benefits of MDCT authenticate this imaging technique as the best modality in the diagnosis of chest trauma...
- Potential foramen to allow communication between the pleural cavity and retroperitoneal space during laparoscopic surgery: a cadaver study of Bochdalek's triangleMichihiro Kawada
Second Department of Surgery, Kochi University School of Medicine, Okoucho, Nangoku 783 8505, Japan
Surg Radiol Anat 29:105-13. 2007..6%). To avoid the distal end of the 12th rib, in laparoscopic retroperitoneal surgery, we recommend making a transverse skin incision at the midpoint between the end of the 12th rib and the iliac crest...
- En bloc stapled diaphragmatic resection for local invasion during hepatectomy: a simple technique without opening the pleural cavityMehdi Karoui
AP HP, Department of Surgery, Henri Mondor University Hospital, 51, av du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
Am J Surg 193:786-8. 2007....
- Effect of invertebrate serine proteinase inhibitors on carrageenan-induced pleural exudation and bradykinin releaseKelly C Malavazi-Piza
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua 3 de Maio 100, 04044 020, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 4:1401-8. 2004..temporal plasma exudation (1-5 h) with extensive neutrophil infiltration and release of proteinases into the pleural cavity. The aim of this work was to study the effects of serine proteinase inhibitors on the inflammatory process ..
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) in the diagnosis and treatment of intrathoracic diseases at Ratchaburi HospitalChanin Glinjongol
Department of Surgery, Ratchaburi Hospital, Ratchaburi 70000, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:734-42. 2005..To review the authors' experience and benefit in diagnosis and management of intrathoracic diseases by Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgical procedures (VATS) using a non trocar technique...
- Investigation of pleural effusion: an evaluation of the new Olympus LTF semiflexible thoracofiberscope and comparison with Abram's needle biopsyA N McLean
Department of Respiratory Medicine, West Glasgow Hospitals University NGS Trust, Glasgow, UK
Chest 114:150-3. 1998..The latter allow greater access within the pleural cavity but are difficult to manipulate...
- Influence of antiinflammatory drugs (methylprednisolone and diclofenac sodium) on experimental pleurodesis induced by silver nitrate or talcLisete R Teixeira
Laboratory of Pleura, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 128:4041-5. 2005..To determine whether the administration of antiinflammatory drugs interferes with experimental pleurodesis induced by silver nitrate or talc...
- Experimental pneumococcal pleural empyema model: the effect of moxifloxacinJacob Strahilevitz
Infectious Diseases Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:665-9. 2003..Pleural empyema is a serious complication of pneumonia, the optimal therapy of which is still unknown. The objective of this study was to evaluate the use of moxifloxacin in this condition...
- [Effects of glucocorticoids on tuberculous pleural effusion: experiment with rats]Qiao He
Department of Pathology, Guangzhou Chest Hospital, Guangzhou 510095, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:2285-9. 2008..To explore the effects of systemic glucocorticoid treatment on tuberculous pleural effusion...
- Tumor incidence was not related to the thickness of visceral pleural in female Syrian hamsters intratracheally administered amphibole asbestos or manmade fibersS Adachi
Department of Public Health, Saitama Medical School, Japan
Environ Res 58:55-65. 1992..a specific observation in manmade fiber groups, tumors were induced at intracelial organs rather than at the pleural cavity. On the other hand, the average thickness of visceral pleura was higher in all asbestos and manmade fiber ..
- Medical treatment of pulmonary hydatidosis: complications and surgical managementD Keramidas
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Aghia Sophia Children s Hospital, GR 115 27 Goudi, Athens, Greece
Pediatr Surg Int 19:774-6. 2004..The remaining four developed pulmonary abscess combined with fluid collection within the pleural cavity. In all complicated cases, the mean size of the cysts exceeded 6 cm in diameter at the beginning of medical ..
- Low doses of silver nitrate induce pleurodesis with a limited systemic responseEvaldo Marchi
Pleura Laboratory, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Respirology 14:885-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess in rabbits the systemic effects associated with a new technique of pleurodesis using repeated low doses of 0.1% silver nitrate...
- The migration and localization of Loa loa infective and fourth-stage larvae in normal and immunosuppressed rodentsS Wanji
Department of Life Sciences, University of Buea, P O Box 63, Buea, Cameroon
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:823-30. 2002..Most of the larvae were found in the subcutaneous tissues (81.9%), peritoneal cavity (14.9%), pleural cavity (1.8%) or the lungs and heart (1.3%) and none was detected in the spleen, kidney, intestine, liver or pancreas...
- Interventional thoracoscopy in small animalsEric Monnet
Department of Clinical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 39:965-75. 2009..a rigid telescope placed through a portal and positioned in the thoracic wall to examine the contents of the pleural cavity. Once the telescope is in place, either biopsy forceps or an assortment of surgical instruments can be ..
- [Monitoring the effectiveness of surgical treatment of malignant pleural effusions]P Habal
Kardiochirurgická klinika, Univerzita Karlova v Praze
Klin Onkol 23:99-103. 2010..Repeated thoracocentesis or drainage may be complicated by pneumothorax, haemothorax or pleural cavity infection...
- Pleurodesis: a novel experimental modelEvaldo Marchi
Laboratory of Pleura, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Respirology 12:500-4. 2007..However, restrictions on the use of rabbits in laboratory investigation are making this model less accessible. The aim of this study was to present a new experimental model of pleurodesis in mice using talc or silver nitrate...
- Acquired tonsillar herniation and syringomyelia after pleural effusion aspiration: case reportMartin Scholsem
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Neurosurgery 62:E1172-3; discussion E1173. 2008We present a case of brachial plexus avulsion and reconstructive surgery with cerebrospinal fluid leak between the cervical subarachnoid space and the pleural cavity responsible for tonsillar herniation and syringomyelia.
- Distribution of life cycle stages of Sarcoptes scabiei var wombati and effects of severe mange on common wombats in VictoriaL F Skerratt
School of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Wildl Dis 35:633-46. 1999..Bacterial infections occurred in three of 10 wombats within lymph nodes or the pleural cavity. Lymphoid depletion did not occur in lymph nodes or spleens and prescapular lymph nodes contained a greater ..
- Evaluation of anti-inflammatory-related activity of essential oils from the leaves and resin of species of ProtiumA C Siani
Laboratórios de Química de Produtos Naturais e Farmacologia Aplicada, Far Manguinhos, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 66:57-69. 1999..neutrophil accumulation whereas PHP and specially PL inhibited LPS-induced eosinophil accumulation in mouse pleural cavity. PHT was also able to inhibit mononuclear cells accumulation...
- Use of intrapleural streptokinase in experimental minimal clotted hemothoraxAyten Kayi Cangir
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ankara University Medical School, Ibn i Sina Hastanesi, Samanpazari Sihhiye, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:667-70. 2005In clotted hemothorax, both thoracocentesis and closed tube thoracostomy will not be able to evacuate the pleural cavity especially if it is minimal...
- Transforming growth factor beta(2) (TGF beta(2)) produces effective pleurodesis in sheep with no systemic complicationsY C Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee 37202, USA
Thorax 55:1058-62. 2000....
- Aggressive repeat surgery for a recurrent synovial sarcoma in the pleuraNoritoshi Nishiyama
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 15:46-9. 2009..female, who in June 2005 had undergone surgical resection of a monophasic synovial sarcoma in the left pleural cavity combined with the affected left diaphragm, was admitted to our hospital in January 2007 and underwent ..
- Multimodality therapy for patients with invasive thymoma disseminated into the pleural cavity: the potential role of extrapleural pneumonectomyYoshinori Ishikawa
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Tochigi Cancer Center, Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:952-7. 2009..We analyzed our experience with a multimodality approach and evaluated the role of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) in the treatment of disseminated thymoma...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of cervical anastomotic fistula contaminating mediastinum or pleural cavity after esophagogastrostomy: a report of five cases with literature review]Gang Chen
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Guangdong Provincial People s Hospital, Guangzhou, Guangdong, P R China
Ai Zheng 24:1280-3. 2005..formed when cervical gastroesophageal anastomotic fistula occurs and its contents contaminate mediastinum or pleural cavity after esophagogastrostomy. The diagnosis and treatment are difficult to made...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopy in the treatment of pleural empyema: stage-based management and outcomeP C Cassina
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Endoscopy, Ruhrlandklinik, Essen, Germany, and the Department of Medical Radiology, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 117:234-8. 1999....
- [Hemothorax as complication of laparoscopic technique]M T Alcázar
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge CSUB
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 50:150-3. 2003..After evacuation of multiple clots from the pleural cavity, the point of hemorrhage was located at the right crus of the diaphragm and bleeding was arrested...
- Stem cell factor-induced leukotriene B4 production cooperates with eotaxin to mediate the recruitment of eosinophils during allergic pleurisy in miceA Klein
Immunopharmacology, Departamento de Bioquimica e Imunologia, Instituto Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
J Immunol 167:524-31. 2001..following Ag challenge of sensitized animals, and significant eotaxin immunoreactivity was detected in the pleural cavity of these animals...
- Contribution of the prostaglandin E2/E-prostanoid 2 receptor signaling pathway in abscess formation in rat zymosan-induced pleurisyToshihisa Inada
Department of Mediator and Signal Transduction Pharmacology, Kitasato University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:860-70. 2009..Zymosan was injected into the pleural cavity of rats...
- Efficacy and safety of iodopovidone pleurodesis through tube thoracostomyRitesh Agarwal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Respirology 11:105-8. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of iodopovidone as an agent for pleurodesis through tube thoracostomy in patients with recurrent pleural effusions and pneumothorax...
- Therapeutic effects of recombinant human endostatin adenovirus in a mouse model of malignant pleural effusionFang Fang
State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy and Cancer Center, West China Hospital, West China Medical School, Sichuan University, 610041 Chengdu, People s Republic of China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:1149-57. 2009..The present study was designed to test whether the recombinant adenovirus-mediated delivery of human endostatin (Ad-hEndo), one of the potent inhibitors of angiogenesis, would inhibit the formation and progression of MPE...
- Cutaneous tumefaction in empyema necessitatisCesar V Reyes
Cytology Section, Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, and Department of Pathology, Morris Hospital, Morris, IL, USA
Int J Dermatol 46:1294-7. 2007Empyema necessitatis refers to a collection of exudative fluid that extends directly from the pleural cavity to the thoracic wall to form a mass in the extrapleural soft tissue of the chest...
- Lymphatic drainage of carbon particles injected into the pleural cavity of the monkey, as studied by video-assisted thoracoscopy and electron microscopyT Miura
Departments of Surgery II and Fundamental Nursing, Oita Medical University, Oita, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 120:437-47. 2000The aim of this study was to clarify the dynamics of lymphatic drainage of the pleural cavity to understand the mechanism of malignant pleural effusion.
- Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta attenuates the development of carrageenan-induced lung injury in miceS Cuzzocrea
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 149:687-702. 2006..Here, we have investigated the effects of TDZD-8, a potent and selective GSK-3beta inhibitor, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy...
- The pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite asbestos following short-term inhalation exposure: interim resultsD M Bernstein
Inhal Toxicol 22:937-62. 2010..chrysotile and amosite asbestos fibers in time course, size distribution, and pathological response in the pleural cavity. Rats were exposed by inhalation 6 h/day for 5 days to either sanded joint compound consisting of both ..
- Spontaneous hemopneumothorax revisited: clinical approach and systemic review of the literatureNan Yung Hsu
Division of Chest Surgery, Department of Surgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1859-63. 2005Spontaneous hemopneumothorax, defined as the accumulation of more than 400 mL of blood in the pleural cavity in association with spontaneous pneumothorax, is a rare entity occurring in young patients and may be life threatening...
- Needle thoracostomy for tension pneumothorax: failure predicted by chest computed tomographyRobert L Stevens
F H Sammy Ross Jr Trauma Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 13:14-7. 2009..This study was designed to determine if needle decompression of a suspected tension pneumothorax would access the pleural cavity as predicted by chest computed tomography (CT).
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic left cardiac sympathetic denervation: a reliable minimally invasive approach for congenital long-QT syndromeJianfeng Li
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Peking University, People s Hospital, Beijing, China
Ann Thorac Surg 86:1955-8. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess the feasibility and long-term effect of video-assisted thoracoscopic left cardiac sympathetic denervation for congenital long-QT syndrome...
- Granulocyte/macrophage-colony-stimulating factor augments lymphokine-activated killer activity from lymphocytes via macrophages in lung cancer patientsK Takahashi
The Second Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, The University of Tokushima, Japan
Cancer Immunol Immunother 49:537-43. 2000..We investigated whether combined treatment with GM-CSF and IL-2 induced macrophage-mediated antitumor activity and/or T-cell-mediated antitumor activity in lung cancer patients...
- Accidentally created tension pneumothorax in patient with primary spontaneous pneumothorax--confirmation of the experimental studies, putting into question the classical explanationD Subotich
Institute for Lung Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Visegradska 26 20, Belgrade 11000, Serbia and Montenegro
Med Hypotheses 64:170-3. 2005..Some experimental studies on animals put into question such an explanation, suggesting that respiratory arrest due to hypoxia of the respiratory center, not a circulatory arrest, represents dominant life threatening feature...
- Thoracic wall reconstruction using both portions of the latissimus dorsi previously divided in the course of posterolateral thoracotomyHorst Koch
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Karl Franzens University, Auenbruggerplatz 29, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:874-8. 2002..This retrospective study was undertaken to evaluate the reconstructive potential of both parts of the latissimus dorsi in thoracic wall reconstruction after posterolateral thoracotomy...
- Innate Response Activator B cells in Bacterial Lung InfectionFilip K Swirski; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have now shown in preliminary experiments that B1a B cells and IRA B cells also reside in the pleural cavity. Mice lacking IRA B cells rapidly succumb to bacterial airway infection, fail to accumulate IgM-producing ..
- Image-guided treatment planning for pleural Photodynamic TherapyTimothy C Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..with the IR camera tracking device, will be used to determine absorption spectra at multiple points on the pleural cavity surface before and after PDT...
- NON-INVASIVE PNEUMOTHORAX DETECTORALAN GRESZLER; Fiscal Year: 2009Pneumothorax is an accumulation of air in the pleural cavity, often as the result of a blunt trauma causing a partial collapse of the lung...
- TREATMENT OF MALIGNANT PLEURAL EFFUSIONSRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 1993..The dose limiting toxicity was myelosuppression. The easy access to the pleural cavity of patients with malignant pleural effusions provides a unique opportunity for testing the pharmacological ..
- AhR-mediated enhancement of the early innate immune response to S. pneumoniaeBETH VORDERSTRASSE; Fiscal Year: 2009..accomplish this, we will measure the effect of AhR activation on levels of these cells and antibodies in the pleural cavity and other relevant locations. And in Aim 3, we will determine the effects of AhR activation on iNKT cells...
- PULMONARY INTERSTITIAL MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2004..lungs. These studies will measure steric exclusion of albumin in interstitial cuffs of vessels ranging from arterioles to large vessels. ..
- PLEURAL LIQUID EXCHANGE AND LUNG MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2007..A specific objective is to develop a method to separate passive from active transport properties of pericardium and diaphragm, tissues that have both mesothelium and interstitium. ..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anti-Angiogenesis/Drugs in Tumors--Bench /Bedside & BackRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2005..Attendance at this conference will provide an excellent opportunity for young investigators working on cancer to educate and familiarize themselves with the field of angiogenesis and the complexities of the system. ..
- Fibroproliferative ARDS: mechanisms of cell death/repairRuairi Fahy; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is expected that with a better understanding of the pathogenesis of ARDS novel therapies will be developed. ..
- Integrative Biology of Tumor MetastasisRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, we have the resources and the clinical collaborators in place to initiate a clinical trial based on our findings, as attested by our ongoing trial using a VEGF-specific antibody. ..
- Conference on Angiogenesis in Cancer and Other DiseasesRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2002..The meeting's synthesis of available information will be particularly thought-provoking for students and post- doctoral fellows. ..
- Role of BMDCs in Solid Tumor Growth and RelapseRakesh K Jain; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, our results will offer strategies for the inhibition of tumor relapse after radiotherapy by targeting molecular pathways that are critical for both angiogenesis and myeloid BMDC recruitment. ..
- HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE THERAPY AND BIOLOGY OF GVHDAndrew Gilman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Blood from patients will be examined at study entry and then every three months to examine the biology of chronic GVHD, and to see if the different treatment regimens affect the immune system differently. ..
- IMMUNOSUPPRESSION IN MYCOBACTERIAL DISEASESZahra Toossi; Fiscal Year: 2001..3. To characterize the T-cell dysfunction of patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis, its relationship to TGF-beta and other suppressive cytokines (IL-10) and its reversal by inhibitors of TGF- beta. ..
- Flow Cytometry to Detect Human Tumor Cells in Body FluidAWTAR GANJU KRISHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Compare data collected from flow cytometric analysis with that obtained from cytopathology and immunocytochemistry routinely performed on these specimens for diagnostic purpose. ..