- The presence of UCP1 demonstrates that metabolically active adipose tissue in the neck of adult humans truly represents brown adipose tissue
Maria Cristina Zingaretti
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies, Faculty of Medicine, Ospedali Riuniti Ancona, University of Ancona Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
FASEB J 23:3113-20. 2009
..g., in the neck) that it would seem to be BAT...
- Some sauropods raised their necks--evidence for high browsing in Euhelopus zdanskyi
Universität Flensburg, Institut für Biologie und ihre Didaktik, Germany
Biol Lett 6:823-5. 2010
A very long neck that is apparently suitable for feeding at great heights is a characteristic feature of most sauropod dinosaurs. Yet, it remains controversial whether any sauropods actually raised their necks high...
- The volume to be irradiated during selective neck irradiation in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: analysis of the spread patterns in lymph nodes by magnetic resonance imaging
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Cancer 115:680-8. 2009
..In addition, the efficacy of selective neck irradiation was assessed based on the volume irradiated.
- Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer
David S Cooper
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Thyroid 19:1167-214. 2009
..Since the publication of the American Thyroid Association's guidelines for the management of these disorders was published in 2006, a large amount of new information has become available, prompting a revision of the guidelines...
- Proposal for the delineation of the nodal CTV in the node-positive and the post-operative neck
Department of Radiation Oncology, Head and Neck Oncology Program, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 79:15-20. 2006
In 2003, a panel of experts published a set of consensus guidelines regarding the delineation of the neck node levels (Radiother Oncol, 2003; 69: 227-36)...
- The reliability and construct validity of the Neck Disability Index and patient specific functional scale in patients with cervical radiculopathy
Joshua A Cleland
Department of Physical Therapy, Franklin Pierce College, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:598-602. 2006
..Cohort study of patients with cervical radiculopathy undergoing physical therapy...
- Paleontology. Sauropod gigantism
P Martin Sander
Division of Paleontology, Steinmann Institute, University of Bonn, D 53115 Bonn, Germany
Science 322:200-1. 2008
- Neural crest origins of the neck and shoulder
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Nature 436:347-55. 2005
The neck and shoulder region of vertebrates has undergone a complex evolutionary history...
- Prehypertension in children and adolescents: association with body weight and neck circumference
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, People s Republic of China
Intern Med 51:23-7. 2012
The present study was undertaken to investigate the role of neck circumference (NC) in predicting prehypertension in children and adolescents.
- Inter- and intra-rater reliability of neck circumference measurements in children
Robert C LaBerge
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:64-9. 2009
Increased neck circumference is a risk factor for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. With rising obesity prevalence in children, it may be an important identifier of obstructive sleep apnea in children...
- Neck circumference positively related with central obesity, overweight, and metabolic syndrome in Chinese subjects with type 2 diabetes: Beijing Community Diabetes Study 4
Guang Ran Yang
Department of Endocrinology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Diabetes Care 33:2465-7. 2010
To investigate the association between neck circumference and central obesity, overweight, and metabolic syndrome in Chinese individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- Neck dissection field and lymph node density predict prognosis in patients with oral cavity cancer and pathological node metastases treated with adjuvant therapy
Chun Ta Liao
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Oral Oncol 48:329-36. 2012
..retrospectively examined the prognostic significance of lymph node (LN) density in pN+ OSCC patients who underwent neck dissection (ND) and postoperative adjuvant therapy...
- Neck circumference: a useful screening tool of cardiovascular risk in children
First Department of Paediatrics, University of Athens, Aghia Sophia Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pediatr Obes 7:187-95. 2012
..The current study aims to examine the association between neck circumference and several cardiovascular risk factors and to compare it with well-established anthropometric indices...
- Is elective irradiation to the lower neck necessary for N0 nasopharyngeal carcinoma?
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:1397-402. 2010
..To summarize our experience and treatment results in lymph node-negative nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated in a single institution...
- The effect of disease site (knee, hip, hand, foot, lower back or neck) on employment reduction due to osteoarthritis
Eric C Sayre
Arthritis Research Centre of Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e10470. 2010
Osteoarthritis (OA) has a significant impact on individuals' ability to work. Our goal was to investigate the effects of the site of OA (knee, hip, hand, foot, lower back or neck) on employment reduction due to OA (EROA).
- Neck circumference as a novel measure of cardiometabolic risk: the Framingham Heart study
Sarah Rosner Preis
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute s and Boston University s Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mount Wayte Avenue, Suite 2, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3701-10. 2010
b>Neck circumference, a proxy for upper-body sc fat, may be a unique fat depot that confers additional cardiovascular risk above and beyond central body fat.
- CT-based delineation of lymph node levels and related CTVs in the node-negative neck: DAHANCA, EORTC, GORTEC, NCIC,RTOG consensus guidelines
Radiation Oncology Dept and Laboratory of Radiobiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, St Luc University Hospital, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 69:227-36. 2003
..and the so-called Rotterdam guidelines from Nowak et al.--emerged from the literature for the delineation of the neck node levels. Detailed examination of these proposals however revealed some important discrepancies.
- Neck circumference as a measure of central obesity: associations with metabolic syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome beyond waist circumference
Turkish Society of Cardiology, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Nutr 28:46-51. 2009
To investigate the relationship of neck circumference (NC) to metabolic syndrome (MetS) and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) and whether it adds information to that provided by waist circumference.
- Neck and shoulder pain after laminoplasty. A noticeable complication
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1969-73. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: The authors retrospectively analyzed the prevalence and features of neck and shoulder pain (axial symptoms) after anterior interbody fusion and laminoplasty in patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy...
- Flexibility along the neck of the ostrich (Struthio camelus) and consequences for the reconstruction of dinosaurs with extreme neck length
Institut fur Biologie, Department IV, Universität Flensburg, 24943 Flensburg, Germany
J Morphol 268:701-14. 2007
The gross morphology and the flexibility along the neck of the ostrich (Struthio camelus) were examined using fresh tissue as well as neck skeletons...
- Musculoskeletal problems of the neck, shoulder, and back and functional consequences in nurses
Alison M Trinkoff
Department of Behavioral and Community Health, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Ind Med 41:170-8. 2002
..Though musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are highly prevalent among registered nurses (RNs), little is known about functional consequences of MSDs in nurses...
- Aesthetic surgery of the aging neck: options and techniques
Bhupendra C K Patel
Division of Facial Plastic Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Orbit 25:327-56. 2006
..and cheeks, the natural progression is to understand aging of the lower one-third of the face and aging of the neck. An understanding of surface anatomy, a review of the underlying anatomical changes of aging and an overview of the ..
- Relationship between neck circumference and cardiometabolic parameters in HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected adults
Kathleen V Fitch
Program in Nutritional Metabolism and Neuroendocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 34:1026-31. 2011
Upper body fat is associated with increased cardiometabolic risk. More recently, neck circumference (NC) and/or neck fat have been associated with hyperlipidemia, impaired glucose homeostasis, and hypertension...
- HPV status in patients with head and neck of carcinoma of unknown primary site: HPV, tobacco smoking, and outcome
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Oral Oncol 48:1178-84. 2012
..This analysis investigated possible associations between HPV status, smoking history and survival outcome in patients with neck metastasis and carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP).
- Neck circumference as a simple screening measure for identifying overweight and obese patients
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty for Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
Obes Res 9:470-7. 2001
There are numerous methods of assessing overweight and obesity. We undertook an observational study to test a method of identifying overweight or obese patients solely by measuring the circumference of the neck.
- A Triassic aquatic protorosaur with an extremely long neck
Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology IVPP, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Post Office Box 643, Beijing 100044, China
Science 305:1931. 2004
..This taxon represents unambiguous evidence for a fully aquatic protorosaur. Its extremely elongated neck is explained as an adaptation for aquatic life, perhaps for an increase in feeding efficiency.
- It's not a cervical lymph node, it's a vein: CT and MR imaging findings in the veins of the head and neck
Edward J Escott
Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 200 Lothrop St, D 132, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2582, USA
Radiographics 26:1501-15. 2006
The anatomy and imaging appearances of the veins of the head and neck can vary considerably, and normal veins may mimic disease processes at computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MR) imaging...
- Neck circumference: an additional tool of screening overweight and obesity in childhood
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr 169:733-9. 2010
..We tried to find out if neck circumference (NC) alone can be used to assess overweight and obesity...
- Initial staging of the neck in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a comparison of CT, PET/CT, and ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology
Sandro J Stoeckli
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Head Neck 34:469-76. 2012
The aim of this study was to compare imaging modalities for staging the neck in a prospective cohort of patients evaluated by CT, ultrasound with fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC), and [(18)F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose (FDG) positron ..
- Lymph node dissection in the lateral neck for completion in central node-positive papillary thyroid cancer
Department of General, Visceral, and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Surgery 145:176-81. 2009
In papillary thyroid cancer, quantitative relationships may exist between central and lateral neck lymph node metastases, which may be of clinical usefulness.
- Conebeam CT of the head and neck, part 2: clinical applications
A C Miracle
Departments of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, University Hospital, Ann Arbor, Mich 48109 5030, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1285-92. 2009
Conebeam x-ray CT (CBCT) is being increasingly used for point-of-service head and neck and dentomaxillofacial imaging...
- Therapeutic massage of the neck and shoulders produces changes in peripheral blood flow when assessed with dynamic infrared thermography
JoEllen M Sefton
Neuromechanics Research Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
J Altern Complement Med 16:723-32. 2010
..This study's objective was to determine the effect of therapeutic massage on peripheral blood flow utilizing dynamic infrared thermography in a constant temperature/humidity thermal chamber to assess noncontact skin temperature...
- PET and PET/CT of the neck lymph nodes improves risk prediction in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity
Chun Ta Liao
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Nucl Med 52:180-7. 2011
We prospectively evaluated the sensitivity and specificity of (18)F-FDG PET in the detection of neck lymph node metastases in patients with oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC)...
- Pectoralis major myocutaneous flaps for head and neck reconstruction: factors influencing occurrences of complications and the final outcome
Fábio Roberto Pinto
FMABC, Sao Bernardo do Campo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 128:336-41. 2010
..The aim of this study was to identify factors that may cause complications and influence the final result from reconstructions using pectoralis major myocutaneous flaps (PMMFs) for head and neck defect repair following cancer resection.
- Status of level IIb lymph nodes of the neck in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue in patients who underwent modified radical neck dissection and lymph node sentinel biopsy
Maxillo Facial Surgery and ENT Division, National Institute of Tumours F Pascale, Naples, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 31:130-4. 2011
..and the lymphatic drainage in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue in patients undergoing modified radical neck dissection (MRND) and sentinel node biopsy (SNB)...
- Neck dissection classification update: revisions proposed by the American Head and Neck Society and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
K Thomas Robbins
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, PO Box 100264, Gainesville, FL 32610 0264, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:751-8. 2002
- Brown adipose tissue: a factor to consider in symmetrical tracer uptake in the neck and upper chest region
Thomas F Hany
Department of Medical Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:1393-8. 2002
..Image analysis was performed on an Entegra work-station (ELGEMS). All patients with symmetrical uptake within the neck, thorax and shoulder regions were selected and the exact localisation of uptake determined (muscle, bone, fatty ..
- Prospective study of [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma with palpably negative neck
Shu Hang Ng
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Otorhinolaryngology and Molecular Imaging Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Oncol 24:4371-6. 2006
..usefulness of [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography ([18F]FDG PET) as well as computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in oral squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) patients with palpably negative neck.
- A population-based atlas and clinical target volume for the head-and-neck lymph nodes
Department of Radiation Medicine, Toronto Sunnybrook Cancer Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1301-11. 2004
To develop a population-based three-dimensional lymph node target volume of the head and neck.
- Surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy in patients with cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to lymph nodes: combined treatment should be considered best practice
Michael J Veness
Head and Neck Cancer Service, Westmead Hospital, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia michael radonc wsahs nsw gov au
Laryngoscope 115:870-5. 2005
Patients with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) may develop metastatic SCC to nodes in the head and neck. Recent data support best outcome with the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy...
- Scalp eschar and neck lymphadenopathy caused by Bartonella henselae after Tick Bite
Unité de Recherche de Maladies Infectieuses Transmissibles et Emergents UMR 6236, Centre National de Références Scientifques Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 50:549-51. 2010
Rickettsia slovaca and Rickettsia raoultii have been associated with a syndrome characterized by scalp eschar and neck lymphadenopathy following tick bites. However, in many cases, the causative agent remains undetermined...
- Sensorimotor disturbances in neck disorders affecting postural stability, head and eye movement control
Neck Pain and Whiplash Research Unit, Division of Physiotherapy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Man Ther 13:2-11. 2008
..Dysfunction of the cervical receptors in neck disorders can alter afferent input subsequently changing the integration, timing and tuning of sensorimotor control...
- Consensus statement on the terminology and classification of central neck dissection for thyroid cancer
Sally E Carty
Department of Surgery, Section of Endocrine Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Thyroid 19:1153-8. 2009
The primary goals of this interdisciplinary consensus statement are to review the relevant anatomy of the central neck compartment, to identify the nodal subgroups within the central compartment commonly involved in thyroid cancer, and to ..
- Neuromuscular assessment in elderly workers with and without work related shoulder/neck trouble: the NEW-study design and physiological findings
National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:110-21. 2006
Musculoskeletal disorders in the neck and shoulder area are a major occupational concern in the European countries especially among elderly females...
- Identification of neck-shoulder disorders in a 1 year follow-up study. Validation Of a questionnaire-based method
Department of Occupational Health, Herning Hospital, DK 7400, Herning, Denmark
Pain 86:305-10. 2000
..to study the efficiency of a screening questionnaire-based method to identify prevalent and incident cases of neck-shoulder disorders...
- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography to evaluate cervical node metastases in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis
Panayiotis A Kyzas
Clinical and Molecular Epidemiology Unit, Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina 45110, Greece
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:712-20. 2008
..PET) has been proposed to enhance preoperative assessment of cervical lymph node status in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Function, postoperative morbidity, and quality of life after cervical sentinel node biopsy and after selective neck dissection
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, University of Leipzig, Nürnberger Str 57, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Head Neck 31:503-12. 2009
Sentinel node biopsy (SNB) has been proposed for staging of N0 neck in oral/oropharyngeal carcinomas...
- Selective dissection of levels II-III with intraoperative control of the upper and middle jugular nodes: a therapeutic option for the N0 neck
Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Avda San Antoni Ma Claret, 167, Barcelona, Spain 08025
Head Neck 23:441-6. 2001
Selective neck dissections are accepted elective treatment in N0 patients...
- Epidemiological study to investigate potential interaction between physical and psychosocial factors at work that may increase the risk of symptoms of musculoskeletal disorder of the neck and upper limb
J J Devereux
Robens Centre for Health Ergonomics, European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7TE, UK
Occup Environ Med 59:269-77. 2002
To investigate potential interactions between physical and psychosocial risk factors in the workplace that may be associated with symptoms of musculoskeletal disorder of the neck and upper limb.
- Risk factors for neck-shoulder and wrist-hand symptoms in a 5-year follow-up study of 3,990 employees in Denmark
National Institute of Occupational Health, Lersø Parkallé 105, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 75:243-51. 2002
A prospective follow-up study of employees in Denmark was analyzed in order to investigate the association between physical and psychosocial exposures and musculoskeletal symptoms in the neck-shoulder and wrist-hand regions.
- Clinical signs and physical function in neck and upper extremities among elderly female computer users: the NEW study
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:136-45. 2006
..of clinical signs and symptoms among female computer users above 45 years, both in a group with self-reported neck/shoulder trouble (NS cases) and in a group without such trouble (NS controls)...
- Imaging of neck metastases
Shu Hang Ng
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 29:119-29. 2006
..cervical node metastasis is important in treatment planning and in prognostic prediction for patients with head and neck cancer. Currently, MRI and CT are commonly used to evaluate the primary tumor and the neck status...
- Myofascial trigger points, neck mobility and forward head posture in unilateral migraine
Department of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, and Department of Neurology, Fundacion Hospital Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
Cephalalgia 26:1061-70. 2006
..In addition, we assess the differences in the presence of both forward head posture (FHP) and active neck mobility between migraine subjects and healthy controls and the relationship between FHP and neck mobility...
- Malignant cervical lymphadenopathy: diagnostic accuracy of diffusion-weighted MR imaging
Ann D King
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Radiology 245:806-13. 2007
..the diagnostic accuracy of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for discrimination of malignant neck nodes due to lymphoma, squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and undifferentiated nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), with ..
- Head and neck position sense
Health and Rehabilitation Research Centre, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
Sports Med 38:101-17. 2008
..However, head and neck position sense (HNPS) testing and re-training may have relevance in the management of minor sports-related neck ..
- Cerebrovascular complications of neck manipulation
Stroke Unit, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Eur Neurol 61:112-8. 2009
..Patients undergoing spinal manipulative therapy need to consent to the possible risk of stroke or vascular injury from the procedure...
- Complications of neck liposuction and submentoplasty
Tulsa Surgical Arts, 7322 East 91st Street, Tulsa, OK 74133, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 21:43-52, vi. 2009
Patients desiring improved neck and jawline contours often are looking for minimally invasive procedures and are not interested in undergoing extensive face-lifting procedures...
- Papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid: predicting factors of lateral neck node metastasis
Jin Young Kwak
Department of Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1348-55. 2009
..The present study investigated the factors affecting LNM in patients with papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC)...
- Tuberculosis in the head and neck--a forgotten differential diagnosis
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Grant Medical Foundation, Pune, India
Clin Radiol 65:73-81. 2010
..of the present review is to illustrate the pathogenesis and imaging findings of tuberculosis in specific head and neck regions to avoid pitfalls in diagnosis...
- Musculoskeletal disorders of the neck and shoulder in the dental professions
Occupational and Environmental Health Center, UCONN Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030 6210, USA
Work 35:419-29. 2010
The prevalence of and risk factors for neck and shoulder disorders among dental practitioners (dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants) is reviewed...
- On functional motor adaptations: from the quantification of motor strategies to the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders in the neck-shoulder region
Laboratory for Ergonomics and Work related Disorders, Department of Health Science and Technology, Aalborg University, Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg, Denmark
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 199:1-46. 2010
..low load and by repetitive actions show a high prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD) in the neck-shoulder region. Moreover, muscle fatigue and discomfort are reported to play a relevant initiating role in WMSD.
- Percentiles and mean values for neck circumference in Turkish children aged 6-18 years
Mumtaz M Mazicioglu
Department of Family Medicine, Erciyes University Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Acta Paediatr 99:1847-53. 2010
To provide neck circumference (NC) percentiles and mean values for Turkish children and to investigate their significance in clinical and epidemiological use.
- Daily kV cone-beam CT and deformable image registration as a method for studying dosimetric consequences of anatomic changes in adaptive IMRT of head and neck cancer
Ulrik Vindelev Elstrøm
Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Oncol 49:1101-8. 2010
Evaluating a method for anatomic changes assessment and actually delivered doses during head and neck (H&N) cancer radiotherapy (RT) utilizing volumetric images from cone-beam CT (CBCT) and a commercially available deformable image ..
- Head and neck infection and inflammation
Rich S Rana
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, E CC 455, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 49:165-82. 2011
This article discusses the imaging manifestations of infectious and inflammatory conditions of the head and neck. Special attention is paid to the sites, routes of spread, and complications of neck infections...
- Undetectable sensitive serum thyroglobulin (<0.1 ng/ml) in 163 patients with follicular cell-derived thyroid cancer: results of rhTSH stimulation and neck ultrasonography and long-term biochemical and clinical follow-up
A M Chindris
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Section of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:2714-23. 2012
Surveillance of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) is achieved using serum thyroglobulin (Tg), neck ultrasonography (US), and recombinant human TSH (rhTSH)-stimulated Tg (Tg-stim).
- Referred pain from myofascial trigger points in head, neck, shoulder, and arm muscles reproduces pain symptoms in blue-collar (manual) and white-collar (office) workers
Department of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Avenida de Atenas s n, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
Clin J Pain 28:511-8. 2012
- The use of multiple time point dynamic positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with oral/head and neck cancer does not predictably identify metastatic cervical lymph nodes
Eric R Carlson
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine and the University of Tennessee Cancer Institute, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 71:162-77. 2013
..tomography (CT) scans predictably identifies metastatic cervical adenopathy in patients with oral/head and neck cancer...
- Exercises for mechanical neck disorders
Theresa M Kay
Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2012
b>Neck disorders are common, disabling and costly. The effectiveness of exercise as a physiotherapy intervention remains unclear.
- Ergonomic design and training for preventing work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the upper limb and neck in adults
Victor C W Hoe
Centre for Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2012
Work-related upper limb and neck musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are one of the most common occupational disorders around the world...
- Ultrasensitive serum thyroglobulin measurement is useful for the follow-up of patients treated with total thyroidectomy without radioactive iodine ablation
Departments of Nuclear Medicine and Endocrine Oncology
Eur J Endocrinol 169:689-93. 2013
- Intratester and intertester reliability of the Cybex electronic digital inclinometer (EDI-320) for measurement of active neck flexion and extension in healthy subjects
Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Rehabilitation Sciences Program, University of Ottawa, Canada
Man Ther 6:235-41. 2001
..intratester and intertester reliability of the electronic digital goniometer EDI-320 for the measurement of active neck flexion and extension in healthy subjects...
- Multiple patterns of resistance to fluconazole in Candida glabrata isolates from a patient with oropharyngeal candidiasis receiving head and neck radiation
Spencer W Redding
Department of General Dentistry, The University of Texas Health Science Center and The South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:619-22. 2003
..We have previously reported on the first three patients receiving radiation for head and neck cancer to develop oropharyngeal candidiasis due to C. glabrata...
- Sonographic evaluation of cervical lymphadenopathy: is power Doppler sonography routinely indicated?
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Ultrasound Med Biol 29:353-9. 2003
Routine sonographic examination of neck nodes now includes both grey-scale and Doppler sonography...
- Current management of upper respiratory tract and head and neck infections
Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:315-23. 2009
..study is to present the antimicrobial management modalities of treating upper respiratory tract (URT) and head and neck infections...
- Nodular fasciitis of the head and neck region: a clinicopathologic description in a series of 30 cases
Department of Pathology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Cutan Pathol 36:1168-73. 2009
..NF has been described in the head and neck region (HNR) in 13-20% of cases...
- Cone-beam CT assessment of interfraction and intrafraction setup error of two head-and-neck cancer thermoplastic masks
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:949-55. 2010
To prospectively compare setup error in standard thermoplastic masks and skin-sparing masks (SSMs) modified with low neck cutouts for head-and-neck intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) patients.
- Neck circumference as a screening measure for identifying children with high body mass index
Olubukola O Nafiu
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Pediatrics 126:e306-10. 2010
..b>Neck circumference (NC) is positively associated with obstructive sleep apnea, diabetes, and hypertension in adults...
- Outcome analysis of patients with oral cavity cancer and extracapsular spread in neck lymph nodes
Chun Ta Liao
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:930-7. 2011
Extracapsular spread (ECS) in neck lymph nodes is a major adverse prognostic factor in patients with oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC)...
- Effect of head and neck position on pharyngeal diameter in horses
Clinic for Horses, University of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Bünteweg 9, Germany
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 51:491-7. 2010
..The pharyngeal diameter was measured at nine different head and neck positions...
- Risk factors for neck and upper extremity disorders among computers users and the effect of interventions: an overview of systematic reviews
Johan H Andersen
Danish Ramazzini Centre, Department of Occupational Medicine, Regional Hospital Herning, Herning, Denmark
PLoS ONE 6:e19691. 2011
- Neck circumference, a bedside clinical feature related to mortality of acute ischemic stroke
Camila Andrade Mendes Medeiros
Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Rev Assoc Med Bras 57:559-64. 2011
..The aim of this study was to evaluate clinical/demographic factors, sleep alterations and one year mortality in acute ischemic stroke...
- Galvanic vestibular stimulation elicits consistent head-neck motion in seated subjects
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 59:1978-84. 2012
Humans actively stabilize the head-neck system based on vestibular, proprioceptive and visual information. Galvanic vestibular stimulation (GVS) has been used previously to demonstrate the role of vestibular feedback in standing balance...
- Flexibility along the neck of the neogene terror bird Andalgalornis steulleti (Aves Phorusrhacidae)
Claudia P Tambussi
División Paleontología Vertebrados, Museo de La Plata, Paseo del Bosque s n, La Plata, Argentina
PLoS ONE 7:e37701. 2012
..A previous biomechanical study suggests that the skull would be prepared to make sudden movements in the sagittal plane to subdue prey...
- Reliability of shear wave ultrasound elastography for neck lesions identified in routine clinical practice
Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology, Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Prince of Wales Hospital, 30 32 Ngan Shing Street, NT Shatin, Hong Kong
Ultraschall Med 33:463-8. 2012
To evaluate the reliability of shear wave ultrasound elastography (SWE) in the neck.
- Can intraoperative frozen section influence the extension of central neck dissection in cN0 papillary thyroid carcinoma?
Division of Endocrine and Metabolic Surgery, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 398:383-8. 2013
..We aimed to verify if frozen section examination (FSE) can identify patients who could benefit from bilateral central compartment node dissection...
- Minimally invasive video-assisted functional lateral neck dissection for metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma
Celestino Pio Lombardi
Department of Surgery, Division of Endocrine Surgery, Universita Cattolica del S Cuore, L go A Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Am J Surg 193:114-8. 2007
Functional lateral neck dissection requires a large incision providing adequate exposure of the surgical field...
- Cervical or thoracic anastomosis after esophageal resection and gastric tube reconstruction: a prospective randomized trial comparing sutured neck anastomosis with stapled intrathoracic anastomosis
Department of Surgery, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Ann Surg 238:803-12; discussion 812-4. 2003
The purpose of the study was to compare in prospective randomized fashion a manually sutured esophagogastric anastomosis in the neck and a stapled in the chest after esophageal resection and gastric tube reconstruction.
- The influence of head and neck position on the oropharyngeal leak pressure and cuff position of three supraglottic airway devices
Sang Hyun Park
Department of Anesthesiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam City, Kyeonggi Do, Korea
Anesth Analg 108:112-7. 2009
..oropharyngeal leak pressure or cuff position may vary according to changes in the position of the head and neck. We evaluated oropharyngeal leak pressure and cuff pressure of the PLMA, LTS, and CobraPLA in different head and ..
- Distribution of herpes simplex virus type 1 and varicella zoster virus in ganglia of the human head and neck
Elizabeth R Richter
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Infect Dis 200:1901-6. 2009
..and type 2 (HSV-2) and varicella zoster virus (VZV)-was determined in autonomic and sensory ganglia of the head and neck obtained from formalin-fixed human cadavers...
- PAX8 immunostaining of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: a reliable means of discerning thyroid origin for undifferentiated tumors of the head and neck
Justin A Bishop
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Hum Pathol 42:1873-7. 2011
..variant, anaplastic thyroid carcinoma may be confused with sarcoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. PAX8 is a transcription factor expressed in normal and neoplastic thyroid follicular epithelium and only a few ..
- The incidence of central neck micrometastatic disease in patients with papillary thyroid cancer staged preoperatively and intraoperatively as N0
Department of Oncologic Surgery Head and Neck Surgery CEPON, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Surgery 150:1161-7. 2011
..This study sought to establish the rate of micrometastatic disease in the central neck in patients staged as N0 by preoperative and intraoperative assessment.
- The outcome of failed free flaps in head and neck and extremity reconstruction: what is next in the reconstructive ladder?
F C Wei
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:1154-60; discussion 1161-2. 2001
..Over the past 8 years (1990 through 1997), 3361 head and neck and extremity reconstructions were performed by free-tissue transfers, excluding toe transplantations...
- Melanoma of the head and neck: current concepts in staging, diagnosis, and management
Maher N Younes
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Box 441, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 13:201-29. 2004
..Finally, new advances in diagnostic and treatment strategies carry the hope for further improvements in locoregional control and survival rates...
- Shoulder complaints after nerve sparing neck dissections
C P van Wilgen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:253-7. 2004
The purpose of the study was to analyse the prevalence of shoulder complaints after nerve sparing neck dissection at least 1 year after surgery, and to analyse the influence of radiation therapy on shoulder complaints...
- Can a plantar pressure-based tongue-placed electrotactile biofeedback improve postural control under altered vestibular and neck proprioceptive conditions?
TIMC IMAG Laboratory, University of Grenoble, Faculty of Medicine, La Tronche Cedex, France
Neuroscience 155:291-6. 2008
..electrotactile biofeedback on postural control during quiet standing under normal and altered vestibular and neck proprioceptive conditions...
- Experience of sclerotherapy and embolosclerotherapy using ethanolamine oleate for vascular malformations of the head and neck
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 43:126-36. 2009
..We now have 14 years' experience with 112 cases of vascular malformations of the head and neck treated with sclerotherapy...
- The impacts of liver cirrhosis on head and neck cancer patients undergoing microsurgical free tissue transfer: an evaluation of flap outcome and flap-related complications
Huang Kai Kao
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, 5 Fu Hsing Street, Kuei Shan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 45:1058-62. 2009
..performed statistical correlation between flap outcome and severity of liver cirrhosis in patients with head and neck cancer...
- Dual-phase 99mTc sestamibi scintigraphy with neck and thorax SPECT/CT in primary hyperparathyroidism: a single-institution experience
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Thyroid Unit, Centre Francois Baclesse, Caen, France
Clin Nucl Med 37:223-8. 2012
To assess the diagnostic value of dual-phase (99m)Tc sestamibi scintigraphy with neck and thorax single-photon emission computed tomography/computed tomography (SPECT/CT) in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism, and to analyze the ..
- Management of the neck in patients with T1 and T2 cancer in the mouth
G I Smith
Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute, Sydney Cancer Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and University of Sydney, Sydney 2042, Australia
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:494-500. 2004
Our aim in this retrospective study was to evaluate the extent of control of metastatic disease in the neck and the survival of patients with T1 and T2 oral cancer.
- The diagnostic value for differentiated thyroid carcinoma metastases of thyroglobulin (Tg) measurement in washout fluid from fine-needle aspiration biopsy of neck lymph nodes is maintained in the presence of circulating anti-Tg antibodies
Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, Presidio di Monserrato, University of Cagliari, Strada Statale 554 bivio Sestu, I 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1364-9. 2006
..Detection of Tg in fine-needle aspiration biopsy (Tg-FNAB) washout fluid is used to identify neck DTC recurrences/metastases, but the interference of serum TgAb in this procedure is unknown.
- Current surgical treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Otolaryngology, 1855 W Taylor Street, M C 648, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Oral Oncol 43:213-23. 2007
Historically treatment of head and neck cancers involved surgical resection followed by radiation therapy for advanced tumors...