Genomes and Genes
Summary: The outer covering of the calvaria. It is composed of several layers: SKIN; subcutaneous connective tissue; the occipitofrontal muscle which includes the tendinous galea aponeurotica; loose connective tissue; and the pericranium (the PERIOSTEUM of the SKULL).
Publications364 found, 100 shown here
- Bald scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia retains hair follicle stem cells but lacks CD200-rich and CD34-positive hair follicle progenitor cellsLuis A Garza
Department of Dermatology, Kligman Laboratories, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Clin Invest 121:613-22. 2011..To test this hypothesis, we analyzed bald and non-bald scalp from AGA individuals for the presence of hair follicle stem and progenitor cells...
- The developmental trajectory of brain-scalp distance from birth through childhood: implications for functional neuroimagingMichael S Beauchamp
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24981. 2011..EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), use probes placed on or near the scalp. The distance between the scalp and the brain is a key variable for these techniques because optical, electrical ..
- Simple metric for scaling motor threshold based on scalp-cortex distance: application to studies using transcranial magnetic stimulationMark G Stokes
Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, School of Behavioural Science, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurophysiol 94:4520-7. 2005..gradient will have crucial consequences when TMS is applied to nonmotor regions because of substantial variance in scalp-cortex distances over different regions of the head...
- Dosimetric comparison of three different treatment techniques in extensive scalp lesion irradiationJadwiga B Wojcicka
Department of Radiation Oncology, York Cancer Center, York, PA 17403, USA
Radiother Oncol 91:255-60. 2009This study compared lateral photon/electron plan (3DCRT), intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) plan, and high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy plan for total scalp irradiation.
- Weathering of the hairless scalp: a study using skin capacitance imaging and ultraviolet light-enhanced visualizationE Xhauflaire-Uhoda
Department of Dermatopathology, University Hospital Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgium
Clin Exp Dermatol 35:83-5. 2010The balding scalp is particularly exposed to sunlight, hence, the overall ageing process modulated by ultraviolet and near-infrared light may be increased at this location...
- Sensitivity and specificity of intrapartum computerised FIGO criteria for cardiotocography and fetal scalp pH during labour: multicentre, observational studyS Schiermeier
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Witten Herdecke, Marien Hospital, Witten, Germany
BJOG 115:1557-63. 2008..To identify sensitivity and specificity of computerised cardiotocography (CTG) analysis for fetal acidosis during delivery...
- The conductivity of the human skull: results of in vivo and in vitro measurementsT F Oostendorp
Department of Medical Physics and Biophysics, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 47:1487-92. 2000..For the in vivo measurement a small current was passed through the head by means of two electrodes placed on the scalp. The potential distribution thus generated on the scalp was measured in two subjects for two locations of the ..
- Neural correlates of face and object perception in an awake chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) examined by scalp-surface event-related potentialsHirokata Fukushima
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e13366. 2010..The neural system of our closest living relative, the chimpanzee, is a topic of increasing research interest. However, electrophysiological examinations of neural activity during visual processing in awake chimpanzees are currently lacking...
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone, a novel, locally produced modulator of human epidermal functions, is regulated by thyrotropin-releasing hormone and thyroid hormonesEniko Bodo
Department of Dermatology, University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Endocrinology 151:1633-42. 2010..TSH and TSH receptor (TSH-R) expression were analyzed in the epidermis of normal human scalp skin by immunohistochemistry and PCR...
- Scalp dermoscopy of androgenetic alopecia in Asian peopleShigeki Inui
Department of Regenerative Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Dermatol 36:82-5. 2009..In conclusion, dermoscopy is useful to diagnose AGA and FAGA and provides insights into the pathogenesis of AGA...
- Reproduction of scalp acupuncture therapy on strokes in the model rats, spontaneous hypertensive rats-stroke prone (SHR-SP)Isao Inoue
Institute for Enzyme Research, Tokushima University, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Neurosci Lett 333:191-4. 2002b>Scalp acupuncture (SA) therapy on strokes has been empirically established and widely used in clinics in China...
- Scalp electrical recording during paralysis: quantitative evidence that EEG frequencies above 20 Hz are contaminated by EMGEmma M Whitham
Department of Neurology, Flinders University and Medical Centre, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5042, Australia
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1877-88. 2007To identify the possible contribution of electromyogram (EMG) to scalp electroencephalogram (EEG) rhythms at rest and induced or evoked by cognitive tasks.
- Thinking activates EMG in scalp electrical recordingsEmma M Whitham
Schools of Medicine, Informatics and Engineering, and Psychology, Department of Neurology, Flinders University and Medical Centre and Centre for Neuroscience, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1166-75. 2008Fast electrical rhythms in the gamma range (30-100Hz) in scalp (but not intracranial) recordings are predominantly due to electromyographic (EMG) activity...
- Measurement of layer-like hemodynamic trends in scalp and cortex: implications for physiological baseline suppression in functional near-infrared spectroscopyRolf Saager
University of Rochester, The Institute of Optics, Goergen Hall 405, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
J Biomed Opt 13:034017. 2008..continuous wave, near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) system is developed to examine whether the hemodynamics of the scalp and brain in adults contain significant layer-like hemodynamic trends...
- Scalp eschar and neck lymphadenopathy caused by Bartonella henselae after Tick BiteEmmanouil Angelakis
Unité de Recherche de Maladies Infectieuses Transmissibles et Emergents UMR 6236, Centre National de Références Scientifques Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 50:549-51. 2010Rickettsia slovaca and Rickettsia raoultii have been associated with a syndrome characterized by scalp eschar and neck lymphadenopathy following tick bites. However, in many cases, the causative agent remains undetermined...
- A system to detect the onset of epileptic seizures in scalp EEGM E Saab
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, 3801 University Street, Montreal, Que, Canada H3A 2B4
Clin Neurophysiol 116:427-42. 2005..The system is based on determining the seizure probability of a section of EEG. Operation features a user-tuneable threshold to exploit the trade-off between sensitivity and detection delay and an acceptable false detection rate...
- Towards the development of a simplified long-term organ culture method for human scalp skin and its appendages under serum-free conditionsZhongfa Lu
Department of Dermatology, 2nd Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Exp Dermatol 16:37-44. 2007Organ culture of human scalp skin is usually performed with serum-containing medium, which limits its analytical usefulness...
- A novel method for reducing the effect of tonic muscle activity on the gamma band of the scalp EEGJudith F Nottage
Department of Neuroimaging, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Brain Topogr 26:50-61. 2013..A novel algorithm has been developed to reduce the effect of tonic scalp and neck muscle activity on the gamma band of the EEG...
- Scalp electrode impedance, infection risk, and EEG data qualityT C Ferree
Electrical Geodesics, Inc, Riverfront Research Park, 1850 Millrace Dr, OR 97403, Eugene, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 112:536-44. 2001Breaking the skin when applying scalp electroencephalographic (EEG) electrodes creates the risk of infection from blood-born pathogens such as HIV, Hepatitis-C, and Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease...
- The growth of human scalp hair mediated by visible red light laser and LED sources in malesRaymond J Lanzafame
Raymond J Lanzafame, MD PLLC, Rochester, New York
Lasers Surg Med 45:487-95. 2013..Low level laser therapy (LLLT) has been used to promote hair growth. A double-blind randomized controlled trial was undertaken to define the safety and physiologic effects of LLLT on males with androgenic alopecia...
- Computerized epileptiform transient detection in the scalp electroencephalogram: obstacles to progress and the example of computerized ECG interpretationJonathan J Halford
Division of Adult Neurology, Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 120:1909-15. 2009..EEG researchers need to follow this as a model and seek funding for the creation of a standardized EEG research dataset to develop ET detection algorithms and certify commercial software...
- Investigation of essential trace and toxic elements in biological samples (blood, serum and scalp hair) of liver cirrhotic/cancer female patients before and after mineral supplementationNida Fatima Kolachi
National Center of Excellence in Analytical Chemistry, University of Sindh, Jamshoro 76080, Pakistan
Clin Nutr 31:967-73. 2012..study was to compare the levels of essential trace and toxic elements in biological samples (blood, serum and scalp hair) of female liver cirrhotic/cancer patients (n = 132), of two age groups (20-45 years) and (46-60 years), ..
- Mutations in KCTD1 cause scalp-ear-nipple syndromeAlexander G Marneros
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Am J Hum Genet 92:621-6. 2013b>Scalp-ear-nipple (SEN) syndrome is a rare, autosomal-dominant disorder characterized by cutis aplasia of the scalp; minor anomalies of the external ears, digits, and nails; and malformations of the breast...
- An automatic spike detection system based on elimination of false positives using the large-area context in the scalp EEGZhanfeng Ji
Department of Advanced Systems Control Engineering, Saga University, 840 8502 Saga, Japan
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 58:2478-88. 2011Most automatic spike detection systems in the scalp electroencephalogram (EEG) focused on the characteristics of "spike." However, the characteristics of "false positives" (FPs) have not been fully studied...
- Comparative analysis of temporal dynamics of EEG and phase synchronization of EEG to localize epileptic sites from high density scalp EEG interictal recordingsCeon Ramon
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2008:4548-50. 2008Our objective was to examine if the high-density, 256 channel, scalp interictal EEG data can be used for localizing the epilepsy areas in patients...
- Collapse and restoration of MHC class-I-dependent immune privilege: exploiting the human hair follicle as a modelTaisuke Ito
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Am J Pathol 164:623-34. 2004..Here, we propose that human scalp hair follicles, which are abundantly available and easily studied, are ideally suited for this purpose: interferon-..
- Separation of indocyanine green boluses in the human brain and scalp based on time-resolved in-vivo fluorescence measurementsAlexander Jelzow
Physikalisch Technische Bundesanstalt PTB, Abbestrasse 2 12, 10587 Berlin, Germany
J Biomed Opt 17:057003. 2012..We applied this method to repetitive measurements on two healthy subjects with an overall 34 boluses. A reconstruction of the bolus kinetics was possible in 62% of all cases...
- High long-term cortisol levels, measured in scalp hair, are associated with a history of cardiovascular diseaseL Manenschijn
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Room Ee 542, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:2078-83. 2013..These studies yielded inconclusive results. The measurement of cortisol in scalp hair is a novel method that provides the opportunity to measure long-term cortisol exposure...
- MR imaging features of a scalp plexiform schwannomaKazumichi Yamada
Department of Neurosurgery, Kumamoto University School of Medicine and Kumamoto Neurosurgical Hospital, Kumamoto, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:291-4. 2004Radiologic findings of a case with scalp plexiform schwannoma-an unusual variant of the benign, solitary schwannoma in the skin-are reported...
- Scalp malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor (MPNST) with bony involvement and new bone formation: case reportA Garg
Department of Neuroradiology, Neurosciences Center, C N Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 106:340-4. 2004..Primary MPNST of the scalp is extremely rare, with only a single case reported so far...
- Treatment of extensive scalp lesions with segmental intensity-modulated photon therapyJames L Bedford
Joint Department of Physics, The Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 62:1549-58. 2005To compare static electron therapy, electron arc therapy, and photon intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) for treatment of extensive scalp lesions and to examine the dosimetric accuracy of the techniques.
- Severe skin erosions and scalp infections in AEC syndromeS L Vanderhooft
Department of Medicine (Dermatology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195
Pediatr Dermatol 10:334-40. 1993..Although several reported patients had eroded skin at birth and recurrent scalp infections, these are not generally regarded as major features of the disorder...
- Electrical impedance tomography of human brain activity with a two-dimensional ring of scalp electrodesA T Tidswell
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, University College, London, UK
Physiol Meas 22:167-75. 2001..EIT data were recorded from a ring of 16 scalp electrodes in 34 recordings in 19 adult volunteers before, during and after stimulation with (1) a visual stimulus ..
- Can we put a simplified algorithm for reconstruction of large scalp defects following tumor resection?Adel Denewer
Department of Surgical Oncology, Oncology Center Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
World J Surg Oncol 9:129. 2011Reconstruction of large scalp defects after tumor resection is a challenging problem. We aimed at putting an algorithm for reconstruction of those defects.
- The effect of a scalp reference signal on coherence measurements of intracranial electroencephalogramsH P Zaveri
Department of Neurology, Yale University School of Medicine, CT 06520, New Haven, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 111:1293-9. 2000To determine the effect of a scalp reference signal, such as that recorded from the mastoid or ear, on the coherence of referential intracranial electroencephalograms (EEGs).
- Effect of scalp and facial hair on air displacement plethysmography estimates of percentage of body fatP B Higgins
Division of Physiology and Metabolism, Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294-3360, USA
Obes Res 9:326-30. 2001OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to determine the effect of body hair (scalp and facial) on air displacement plethysmography (BOD POD) estimates of percentage of body fat. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: A total of 25 men (31...
- Cutaneous angiosarcoma of the scalp: a multidisciplinary approachTimothy M Pawlik
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Cancer 98:1716-26. 2003..Angiosarcoma is a malignant tumor of vascular endothelial cells that arises in the head and neck. It is a rare, difficult to treat, and lethal tumor...
- Interferon-gamma is a potent inducer of catagen-like changes in cultured human anagen hair folliclesT Ito
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Martinistr 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 152:623-31. 2005..Interferon (IFN)-gamma appears to be an important hair cycle modulator in mice. It is unclear whether it has similar hair growth modulatory functions in human hair follicles...
- Delayed intraventricular tension pneumocephalus due to scalp-ventricle fistula: a very rare complication of shunt surgeryBekir Tugcu
Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital for Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 2nd Neurosurgery Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 19:276-80. 2009..Although pneumocephalus and pneumoventricle are well known entities in neurosurgery practice, delayed intraventricular tension pneumocephalus following shunt surgery is extremely rare...
- [Effect of scalp acupuncture on glucose metabolism in brain of patients with depression]Yong Huang
Department of TCM, Nanfang Medical University, Guangzhou 510515
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 25:119-22. 2005To observe the effect of scalp acupuncture (SA) on the glucose metabolism in different regions of brain in patients with depression by positron emission computed tomography (PET).
- Relationship between hypometabolic patterns and ictal scalp EEG patterns in patients with unilateral hippocampal sclerosis: An FDG-PET studyEun Mi Lee
Department of Neurology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1, Pungnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
Epilepsy Res 84:187-93. 2009This study was to explore the relationship between scalp ictal EEG patterns and interictal hypometabolic patterns in hippocampal sclerosis-associated mesial temporal lobe epilepsy (HS-MTLE) and determine the clinical significance of ..
- Management of difficult to treat locations of psoriasis. Scalp, face, flexures, palm/soles and nailsKnud Kragballe
Department of Dermatology, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
Curr Probl Dermatol 38:160-71. 2009Psoriasis located on the scalp, face, skin folds, palms/soles and nails may require special consideration due to physical disability and discomfort, and because the treatment efficacy and safety may be different...
- Survival differences between patients with scalp or neck melanoma and those with melanoma of other sites in the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) programAnne M Lachiewicz
Department of Dermatology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 3100 Thurston Bowles Bldg, Manning Drive, CB No 7287, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7287, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:515-21. 2008To compare the prognosis of patients with scalp or neck (scalp/neck) melanomas with that of patients with melanomas at other sites in a large, population-based national data set controlling for known prognostic factors.
- Endovascular treatment of scalp cirsoid aneurysmsA K Gupta
Department of Imaging Sciences and Interventional Radiology, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, Kerala, India
Neurol India 56:167-72. 2008b>Scalp is the most common site of soft tissue arteriovenous fistulae and surgical excision has been the primary mode of treatment. Endovascular treatment has evolved as an alternative to the surgery.
- Free flap reconstruction of the scalp and calvaria of major neurosurgical resections in cancer patients: lessons learned closing large, difficult wounds of the dura and skullHoward T Wang
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:865-72. 2007..The authors present their experience with free tissue reconstruction of scalp and calvarial defects...
- Evaluation of scalp and auricular acupuncture on EEG, HRV, and PRVChih Chieh Hsu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University, Chungli, Taiwan, ROC
Am J Chin Med 35:219-30. 2007..recorder were employed to evaluate heart rate variability, pulse rate variability, and EEG of 10 adults after scalp (experimental test I) at Sishencong scalp acupoint and auricular (experimental test II) acupuncture at Shenmen ..
- Recurrence of a simultaneous tumor of the parotid gland and scalp skin malignant fibrous histiocytomaSuat Bilici
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Pathology, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 22:1898-999. 2011..We report a case of simultaneous MFH tumors of the parotid gland and of the scalp skin in an elderly male patient...
- Aesthetic and oncologic outcome after microsurgical reconstruction of complex scalp and forehead defects after malignant tumor resection: an algorithm for treatmentAntoinette A van Driel
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Plast Reconstr Surg 126:460-70. 2010Limited follow-up data on aesthetic outcome and survival after microsurgical reconstruction of complex scalp and forehead defects are available. These data are important to improve reconstruction quality and patient counseling...
- Relative element levels in the paired samples of scalp hair and fingernails of patients from New DelhiA Sukumar
School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110 067, India
Sci Total Environ 372:474-9. 2007..b>Scalp hair and fingernails were sampled along with a questionnaire from urban and rural subjects of New Delhi; patients ..
- Free flaps in the treatment of locally advanced malignancy of the scalp and foreheadD McCombe
Department of Surgery, St Vincents Hospital, 41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Victoria 3065, Australia
Ann Plast Surg 48:600-6. 2002Locally advanced cutaneous malignancy of the scalp and forehead is a disease that requires an aggressive approach to resection and reconstruction...
- Marjolin ulcer of the scalp: intruder of a burn scarGaye Taylan Calikapan
Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery Clinic, Dr Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 19:1020-5. 2008..Marjolin ulcer, commonly seen after burn scar, is a neoplastic change in the scar tissue. The scalp region necessitates additional attention because of the inevitable structures it protects...
- Hair-bearing temporoparietal fascial flap reconstruction of upper lip and scalp defectsJ C Kim
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, 243 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 3:170-7. 2001..that may be transferred either pedicled or free and alone or as a carrier of subjacent bone or overlying skin and scalp. OBJECTIVE: To report our experience using a hair-bearing temporoparietal fascial flap for reconstruction in 6 ..
- The use of a bovine collagen construct for reconstruction of full-thickness scalp defects in the elderly patient with cutaneous malignancyJonathan S Wilensky
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0340, USA
Ann Plast Surg 54:297-301. 2005Full-thickness defects of the scalp following cancer resection are reconstructive challenges when bone is exposed. Local, regional, and/or free tissue transfer have all been described for reconstruction when the pericranium is exposed...
- Synchronization measures of the scalp electroencephalogram can discriminate healthy from Alzheimer's subjectsMark A Kramer
Graduate Group in Applied Science and Technology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Int J Neural Syst 17:61-9. 2007Three synchronization measures are applied to scalp electroencephalogram (EEG) data collected from 20 patients diagnosed to have either: (1) no dementia, (2) mild cognitive impairment (MCI), or (3) Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- The neuronal sources of EEG: modeling of simultaneous scalp and intracerebral recordings in epilepsyD Cosandier-Rimélé
INSERM, U642, Rennes, F 35000, France
Neuroimage 42:135-46. 2008..used in the particular context of epileptiform activity (interictal spikes) to interpret simultaneously generated scalp and intracerebral EEG...
- Validation of ICA-based myogenic artifact correction for scalp and source-localized EEGBrenton W McMenamin
Department of Psychology, Center for Cognitive Science, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Neuroimage 49:2416-32. 2010..of psychological processes and can mask genuine effects or masquerade as legitimate neurogenic effects across the scalp in frequencies at least as low as the alpha band (8-13 Hz)...
- Probing the effects of stress mediators on the human hair follicle: substance P holds central positionEva M J Peters
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Am J Pathol 171:1872-86. 2007..effects of substance P, the central cutaneous prototypic stress-associated neuropeptide, on normal, growing human scalp HFs in organ culture...
- Human beta defensin-1 and -2 expression in human pilosebaceous units: upregulation in acne vulgaris lesionsC M Chronnell
Centre for Cutaneous Research, St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary and Westfield College, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 117:1120-5. 2001..The upregulation of beta-defensin expression in acne vulgaris lesions compared to controls suggests that beta-defensins may be involved in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris...
- Decomposition of working memory-related scalp ERPs: crossvalidation of fMRI-constrained source analysis and ICAMichael Wibral
MEG Unit, Brain Imaging Center, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Haus 93B, Heinrich Hoffmann Strasse 10, 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Int J Psychophysiol 67:200-11. 2008..and independent component analysis (ICA) claim to estimate the neuronal sources of electroencephalographic (EEG) scalp signals...
- Prostanoid receptors in anagen human hair folliclesLaurent Colombe
L Oreal Recherche, Clichy, France
Exp Dermatol 17:63-72. 2008..Although extracting a clear functional significance from this intricate network remains open challenge, FP labelling, i.e. could explain the biological effect of PGF(2alpha) on hair regrowth, by directly modulating DP function...
- Processing of facial emotional expression: spatio-temporal data as assessed by scalp event-related potentialsP Krolak-Salmon
Functional Neurology Unit, P Wertheimer Neurological Hospital, 59 Boulevard Pinel, 69394 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Eur J Neurosci 13:987-94. 2001..Secondly, they had to focus on facial expressions by counting faces who looked surprised. The classical scalp 'face-related potentials', i.e...
- Potentials recorded at the scalp by stimulation near the human subthalamic nucleusP Ashby
Movement Disorder Clinic, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital Research Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Neurophysiol 112:431-7. 2001To record the potentials evoked at the scalp by stimulation through electrodes targeted at the human subthalamic nucleus (STN) and to determine whether the responsible pathways continue to be excited or become blocked with high frequency ..
- Spatial spectra of scalp EEG and EMG from awake humansWalter J Freeman
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, LSA 142, MC 3200, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1053-68. 2003Evaluate spectral scaling properties of scalp electroencephalogram (EEG) and electromyogram (EMG), optimal spacing of electrodes, and strategies for mitigating EMG.
- Autocrine and paracrine roles of VEGF/VEGFR-2 and VEGF-C/VEGFR-3 signaling in angiosarcomas of the scalp and faceWataru Tokuyama
Department of Pathology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Hum Pathol 41:407-14. 2010Angiosarcoma of the skin is an extremely rare malignant tumor of vascular origin that usually arises in the scalp and face of elderly persons...
- Skin cancer: preventive photodynamic therapy in patients with face and scalp cancerization. A randomized placebo-controlled studyZ Apalla
First Dermatologic Clinic, Medical School, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece
Br J Dermatol 162:171-5. 2010..Methods Forty-five patients, previously diagnosed as having NMSCs of the face or scalp, with actinic keratoses symmetrically distributed over the same regions, were randomized for field treatment with ..
- Human female hair follicles are a direct, nonclassical target for thyroid-stimulating hormoneEniko Bodo
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, University of Lubeck, Lubeck, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 129:1126-39. 2009..Here, we report that normal human scalp skin and microdissected human HFs express TSH-R mRNA...
- Reconstruction of large defects on the scalp and forehead as an interdisciplinary challenge: experience in the management of 39 casesB Kruse-Losler
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Muenster, Waldeyerstrasse 30, D 48129 Muenster, NRW, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:1006-14. 2006..and indications for different surgical reconstruction techniques after resection of large skin tumours on the scalp taking into account an interdisciplinary approach of cranio-maxillofacial surgeon, dermatologist, and neurosurgeon,..
- Determination of pH or lactate in fetal scalp blood in management of intrapartum fetal distress: randomised controlled multicentre trialE Wiberg-Itzel
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Söder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
BMJ 336:1284-7. 2008To examine the effectiveness of pH analysis of fetal scalp blood compared with lactate analysis in identifying hypoxia in labour to prevent acidaemia at birth.
- The contribution of the arrector pili muscle and sebaceous glands to the follicular unit structureEnrique Poblet
Department of Pathology, Hospital General Universitario de Albacete, Universidad Las Palmas Gran Canaria, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:217-22. 2004..The sebaceous glands and the arrector pili muscle, as part of the pilosebaceous unit, should be viewed as important parts of this organized follicular unit structure...
- Millivolt-scale DC shifts in the human scalp EEG: evidence for a nonneuronal generatorJuha Voipio
Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, 00014, Finland
J Neurophysiol 89:2208-14. 2003Slow shifts in the human scalp-recorded EEG, including those related to changes in brain CO(2) levels, have been generally assumed to result from changes in the level of tonic excitation of apical dendrites of cortical pyramidal neurons...
- Brain dynamics of scalp evoked potentials and current source densities to repetitive (5-pulse train) painful stimulation of skin and muscle: central correlate of temporal summationA C Chen
Human Brain Mapping and Cortical Imaging Laboratory, Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Denmark
Brain Topogr 13:59-72. 2000..This change in "rapid cortical dynamics" of short-term plasticity could be an important mechanism for wind-up and pain processing in the brain...
- Validation of regression-based myogenic correction techniques for scalp and source-localized EEGBrenton W McMenamin
University of MinnesotaTwin Cities, Minneapolis Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Psychophysiology 46:578-92. 2009..between-subjects using difference-scores, within-subjects condition-wise, and within-subject epoch-wise on the scalp and in data modeled using the LORETA algorithm...
- Cosmetic outcome of scalp wound closure with staples in the pediatric emergency department: a prospective, randomized trialAbu N G A Khan
Department of Pediatrics, Babies Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 18:171-3. 2002The purpose of this study is to compare the cosmetic outcome of scalp wound closure with staples to traditional skin sutures.
- Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in the scalp of patients with alopecia areataAhmet Akar
Department of Dermatology, GATA School of Medicine, 06018, Ankara, Turkey
J Dermatol Sci 29:85-90. 2002..However, little is known about the alterations in lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in the scalp of patients with AA...
- Spline Laplacian estimate of EEG potentials over a realistic magnetic resonance-constructed scalp surface modelF Babiloni
Institute of Human Physiology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 98:363-73. 1996..Laplacian (SL) that uses the 2-D thin plate spline function to obtain a mathematical description of a realistic scalp surface...
- Evoked gamma oscillations in human scalp EEG are test-retest reliableIngo Fründ
Institute of Psychology, Department of Biological Psychology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 118:221-7. 2007..However, to date the test-retest reliability of these oscillations has not been studied systematically...
- Complete remission of Merkel cell carcinoma of the scalp with local and regional metastases after topical treatment with dinitrochlorbenzolGernot Herrmann
Department of Dermatology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:965-9. 2004..We describe a 69-year-old man with extended inoperable MCC of the scalp including multiple local and regional metastases who responded with complete remission to 4 weekly treatments of ..
- Localizing value of scalp EEG spikes: a simultaneous scalp and intracranial studyAmit Ray
Department of Neurology, Section of Epilepsy, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 118:69-79. 2007..To determine the relationship between cortical origins of interictal and ictal EEG discharges in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy...
- Elemental concentrations in scalp hair, nutritional status and health-related quality of life in hemodialysis patientsAkinobu Ochi
Metabolism, Endocrinology, Molecular Medicine and Nephrology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Ther Apher Dial 16:127-33. 2012..We examined the relationships between the elemental concentrations in scalp hair and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) and nutritional status in HD patients...
- Optoacoustic monitoring of cerebral venous blood oxygenation though intact scalp in large animalsI Y Petrov
Laboratory for Optical Sensing and Monitoring, Center for Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 1156, USA
Opt Express 20:4159-67. 2012..knowledge, we report for the first time noninvasive monitoring of cerebral venous blood oxygenation through intact scalp that was validated with invasive, "gold standard" measurements...
- Interaction between zinc, cadmium, and lead in scalp hair samples of Pakistani and Irish smokers rheumatoid arthritis subjects in relation to controlsHassan Imran Afridi
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland
Biol Trace Elem Res 148:139-47. 2012..aim of our study was to assess the trace essential and toxic metals, cadmium (Cd), lead (Pb), and zinc (Zn), in scalp hair samples of 32 Irish and 46 Pakistani smokers and non-smokers RA male patients with age range 42-56 years...
- Recording of fast activity at the onset of partial seizures: depth EEG vs. scalp EEGD Cosandier-Rimélé
Bernstein Center Freiburg, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Neuroimage 59:3474-87. 2012..recording of rapid discharges from intracranial electrodes has long been established, their observation from the scalp is challenging...
- Psoriasis autoantigens in normal scalp skin--identification by expression cloningEva Hagforsen
J Invest Dermatol 127:2276-80. 2007
- Tactile and thermal detection thresholds of the scalp skinAnahit Mehrabyan
Center for Neurosensory Disorders, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Somatosens Mot Res 28:31-47. 2011..sensitivity of diverse regions of the human body have been documented extensively, with one exception being the scalp. Additionally, sensory changes may accompany the hair loss from the scalp in androgen-related alopecia (ARA), but ..
- The reliability of horizontally sectioned scalp biopsies in the diagnosis of chronic diffuse telogen hair loss in womenRodney Sinclair
Skin and Cancer Foundation, University of Melbourne, Monash University, St Vincent s Hospital, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:189-99. 2004Chronic diffuse telogen hair loss is common in women. Paired 4-mm punch biopsy from the vertex scalp for horizontal and vertical sectioning is commonly used to distinguish between chronic telogen effluvium (CTE) and female pattern hair ..
- Surface Laplacian of central scalp electrical signals is insensitive to muscle contaminationSean P Fitzgibbon
School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics, and School of Medicine, Flinders University, Adelaide, S A 5001, Australia
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 60:4-9. 2013..gross and persistent electromyographic (EMG) contamination of electroencephalographic (EEG) signals in electrical scalp recordings...
- A case of histologically diagnosed tick infestation on the scalp of a Korean childSun Hee Chang
Clinical Research Center, Inje University Ilsan Paik Hospital, Gyeonggi province 411 706, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 44:157-61. 2006A scalp mass surgically excised from a 4-year-old Korean boy was identified as a tick through histological observations...
- A case study of radiotherapy planning for Intensity Modulation Radiation Therapy for the whole scalp with matching electron treatmentPatricia Sponseller
University of Wisconsin at La Crosse, La Crosse, WI, USA
Med Dosim 38:122-4. 2013..A patient with multiple areas of squamous cell carcinoma over the scalp was treated using 60 Gy in 2...
- Use of postmortem human dura mater and scalp for deriving human fibroblast culturesLindsay A Bliss
Section on Neuropathology, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Division of Intramural Research Programs, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e45282. 2012..Here we present data on fibroblast cell cultures generated from 146 scalp and/or 53 dura mater samples from 146 postmortem human brain donors...
- Helical tomotherapy as a means of administering total or partial scalp irradiation: In regards to Bedford et al. (Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005;62:1549-1558)Deepak Khuntia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:1288-9; author reply 1289-90. 2006
- Numerical assessment of the performance of a scalp-implantable antenna: effects of head anatomy and dielectric parametersAsimina Kiourti
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Bioelectromagnetics 34:167-79. 2013We numerically assess the effects of head properties (anatomy and dielectric parameters) on the performance of a scalp-implantable antenna for telemetry in the Medical Implant Communications Service band (402.0-405.0 MHz)...
- Cortical dynamics of human scalp EEG origins in a visually guided motor executionHiroaki Mizuhara
Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Neuroimage 62:1884-95. 2012..conduction makes it difficult to identify the exact origin of the EEG rhythm in the brain using only the human scalp EEG...
- Chromium and manganese levels in the scalp hair of normals and patients with breast cancerEser Kilic
Department of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 102:19-25. 2004..Quantitative elemental analysis of scalp hair of breast cancer patients (stage III) (n=26) and controls (n=27) were used to study to find correlation and ..
- Mutations in the desmoglein 4 gene underlie localized autosomal recessive hypotrichosis with monilethrix hairs and congenital scalp erosionsJulie V Schaffer
Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Invest Dermatol 126:1286-91. 2006..recessive hypotrichosis (LAH) is a recently defined disorder characterized by fragile, short, sparse hairs on the scalp, trunk, and extremities...
- Influence of the scalp thickness on the intracranial contribution to rheoencephalographyJuan J Perez
Center for Research and Innovation on Bioengineering, Polytechnic University of Valencia, Camino de Vera s n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Phys Med Biol 49:4383-94. 2004..In this paper, we have studied the influence of scalp thickness on the intracranial contribution to REG II...
- Superficial squamous cell carcinomas and extensive actinic keratoses of the scalp treated with radiation therapyMichelle A Pipitone
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45242, USA
Dermatol Surg 32:756-9. 2006
- Hereditary hypotrichosis simplex of the scalp. Evidence for autosomal dominant inheritanceJ Toribio
Br J Dermatol 91:687-96. 1974
- Sebaceous gland carcinoma of the scalp: case report and review of the literatureMurtaza Rizvi
Department of Surgical Services, York Hospital, York, Pennysylvania, USA
J Otolaryngol 32:64-8. 2003
- Iridium-192 brachytherapy for hemorrhagic angiosarcoma of the scalp: a case reportRyuji Nakamura
Department of Radiology, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 33:198-201. 2003..radiotherapy was used for the purpose of hemostasis with a single portal, 20 x 20 cm in size, covering the whole scalp from the top of the head...
- Comparative distribution of the scalp hair trace metal contents in the benign tumour patients and normal donorsQ Pasha
Department of Biochemistry, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, 45320, Pakistan
Environ Monit Assess 147:377-88. 2008The scalp hair samples of benign tumour patients (n = 77) and normal donors (n = 86) were analysed for selected trace metal contents using atomic absorption spectrophotometry...
- Hair follicle neogenesis induced by cultured human scalp dermal papilla cellsJizeng Qiao
Intercytex Ltd, 175E New Boston Street, Woburn, MA 01801, USA
Regen Med 4:667-76. 2009..To develop a method by which human hair follicle dermal papilla (DP) cells can be expanded in vitro while preserving their hair-inductive potential for use in follicular cell implantation, a cellular therapy for the treatment of hair loss...
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..this drug is a "soft antiandrogen", expected to be active topically in androgen-dependent maladies of the skin and scalp, but to be hydrolyzed by plasma or tissue enzymes, thus terminating its systemic action...
- Improved Source Localization for Pediatric EpilepsyDamon Hyde; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since the fall of 2008, I have held a postdoctoral position at Children's Hospital Boston studying the use of scalp EEG data to non-invasively localize seizure foci for the planning of surgical interventions...
- MAGNETIZATION TRANSFER MRS IN METHAMPHETAMINE USERS RESUBMISSIONYoung Hoon Sung; Fiscal Year: 2013..This method will (1) utilize 31P volume coil for favorable spatial localization (2) minimize scalp muscle contamination with six outer volume 31P saturation bands, and (3) calculate the apparent relaxation rate (R&..
- Transcranial, Light-Emiting Diode (LED) Therapy to Improve Cognition in GWVIMargaret A Naeser; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This sham-controlled study will investigate if scalp application of non-invasive, light-emitting diodes (LED) in red and near-infrared (NIR) wavelengths improves cognition in Veterans with Gulf War ..
- Genome Wide Association Studies in Alopecia AreataAngela M Christiano; Fiscal Year: 2012..loss in which the body attacks the growing hair follicle, and can result in hair loss ranging from patches on the scalp to complete hair loss over the body...
- Cross-modal re-organization in children with cochlear implantsJulia Dee Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2013..visual cortex becomes activated and may be observed as a response in the occipital lobe through topographic scalp maps of mean voltage values for the averaged recording...
- Combination Therapy With 5-FU and PDT For The Treatment Of Post-Transplant PremalEdward V Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2012..organ transplant recipients (status-post kidney or liver transplantation) with 4 or more AK lesions on the face or scalp. The second group will consist of 20 normal controls (non-transplant individuals with 4 or more AK), similarly ..
- Integrated EEG/NIR Sensor System for InfantsCatherine Poulsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..A dense array of 128 combined optoelectrodes sitting on the surface of the scalp will simultaneously record brain electrical activity (EEG), and cerebral blood oxygenation changes (NIRS), ..
- Essential Features of Neural Damage in Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryScott R Sponheim; Fiscal Year: 2012..TBI (bTBI) exhibited diminished electroencephalography (EEG) phase synchronization between lateral frontal scalp sites of the two cerebral hemispheres (Sponheim et al., Neuroimage, 2011)...
- Neonatal EEG MonitorTammy Tsuchida; Fiscal Year: 2012..reasons: (1) preparation times are extended and re-application is problematic due to the fragility of the neonatal scalp, (2) it is not easily adapted to clinical cae sites that do not retain experienced EEG technicians, (3) it is not ..
- A Phase 2 Trial of AAV-NGF Gene Delivery in Alzheimer's DiseasePaul S Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2012..injections of AAV-NGF into each NBM of each hemisphere, or a sham- surgery control procedure (bilateral scalp incision and partial burr holes)...
- Neurophysiological Studies of Visual Perception in SchizophreniaKevin M Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We propose to use measures of oscillatory activity in the scalp-recorded electroencephalogram (EEG) to examine the functional integrity of the neural circuitry underlying visual perception in ..
- High frequency activity in infants with epilepsyJULIA MARIE STEPHEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Unfortunately, this FR from the mesial temporal lobe does not appear to be detectable over the scalp with magnetoencephalography (MEG) or electroencephalography (EEG) according to the intracranial data of Gotman and ..
- Anticonvulsant effects of novel concentric ring electrode electrical stimulationWALTER GRANT BESIO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Non-invasive transcutaneous electrical stimulation (TcES) via unique concentric ring electrodes on the scalp surface is proposed as an innovative approach to seizure control...
- Trajectories of reward sensitivity and depression across adolescenceGreg Hajcak; Fiscal Year: 2013..we have focused extensively on the feedback-related negativity (FRN), an electrocortical response observed at the scalp as an apparent negativity approximately 300 ms following feedback indicating monetary loss compared to gain...
- Civamide Nasal Spray for the Treatment of Postherpetic Neuralgia of the TrigeminaScott B Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013..by extreme pain following herpes zoster infection, (commonly called shingles,) in the areas of the face and scalp which are innervated by the [TN]...
- Optimal neural and behavioral markers for learning to learn during infancyRachel Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..spectroscopy [fNIRS], measuring spatially-localized neural activation via non-invasive light probes on the scalp), as well as data mining tools applied to infant eye movement data, will examine how infants learn to learn from ..
- Functions of Associative Auditory Cortical PlasticityNorman M Weinberger; Fiscal Year: 2013..training will directly benefit from promoting the desired type of specific cortical plasticity (assessed by scalp recordings or functional imaging) that can be custom-designed for each patient to promote strong, specific and ..
- Home Ambulatory EEG with Video MonitoringDANIEL S HEDIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Video scalp electroencephalography (v-EEG) is a cornerstone technology for the evaluation of patients presenting with ..
- Neurocognitive Training to Improve Executive FunctionTIMOTHY H RIEHLE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Gamma states (EEG activity above 30Hz) in addition to Beta wavelengths will be detected on the frontal scalp and used to drive custom hardware to provide instantaneous feedback through an innovative mode of action...
- Neural Correlates of Error Monitoring in Anxiety and DepressionANNA E F WEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Under the guidance of Dr. Hajcak, scalp-recorded ERPs and oscillatory EEG activity will be recorded during a laboratory task designed to elicit errors...
- Effects of language experience on early cortical and subcortical pitch encodingAnanthanarayan Krishnan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our scalp-recorded responses may be used as a new clinical tool to assess the integrity of pitch representation in a target ..
- NEUROIMAGING OF CONNECTIVITY IN ALCOHOLISMEDITH VIONI SULLIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..by fiber tracking with diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and high angular resolution diffusion imaging (HARDI);scalp-recorded EEG and event- related potentials (ERPs) will reflect the synchrony of brain electrical potentials across ..
- CRCNS: Effects of Weak Applied Currents on Memory Consolidation During SleepLucas C Parra; Fiscal Year: 2013..We demonstrated that weak electric currents (<1mA, <1Hz and DC) applied to the scalp during SWS modulate these endogenous EEG rhythms and can improve human memory performance (Marshall 2006a)...
- Defining the Electrophysiological Dynamics of the Default Mode NetworkKurt E Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2013..ECoG electrodes in the presurgical evaluation of individuals with intractable epilepsy and 2, high frequency scalp-based electroencephalography (EEG)...
- Low power analog electronics for an implantable cortical prostheticRahul Sarpeshkar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because the system will be reconfigurable and consist of a programmable digital unit external to the scalp and a programmable analog system implanted between the scalp and skull that communicate with each other, it will ..
- Subdermal EEG Recorder: A Lifelong Monitor for Epilepsy and Other Brain DisordersKEITH BRAFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2012..The function of the bands is to sense the EEG signal. The proposed device is inserted between the scalp and skull through a small incision using well-known methods for placing similarly shaped objects such as catheters ..
- Brain-Robot Interfact: A Robust, High Performance Predictive Control AlgorithmMST KAMRUNNAHAR; Fiscal Year: 2012..I here propose a two part approach: 1) acquire non-invasive human scalp EEG in response to audio/visual cues, and compare and contrast EEG features using existing and proposed model-..
- EEGLAB: Software for analysis of human brain dynamicsScott Makeig; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recovering the considerable degree of spatial source resolution available in high-density scalp electroencephalographic (EEG) and other electrophysiological data, while retaining its natural advantage over ..
- The role of long-term contextual memory in attentional controlJOSHUA DANIEL COSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..electrophysiological markers of context-dependent attentional learning in humans and non-human primates using scalp-recorded EEG, and 2) use single-unit neurophysiological techniques to determine how these changes are instantiated ..
- Interactive software for semiautomated analysis of structural brain imagesDavid W Shattuck; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., skull and scalp models, inner and outer cortical surface mesh models, within human brain MRI;(b) software for performing spatial ..
- Noninvasive neural decoding of walkingJose Luis Contreras-Vidal; Fiscal Year: 2013..step-by-step, experimental and computational approach to neural decoding of human bipedal locomotion from scalp EEG and the development of brain-computer interfaces for gait rehabilitation...
- ParkinStim: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation for Parkinson's DiseaseDUSTIN ALLEN HELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent studies have demonstrated that noninvasive anodal tDCS applied to the scalp over primary motor cortex (M1) can improve PD symptoms...
- FMA with Active Integrated CircuitsMartin Bak; Fiscal Year: 2009..component to the electrode fabrication and layout is the inclusion of remote electronics buried beneath the scalp capable of electro-magnetically transferring information across the scalp...
- Neural Oscillatory Biomarkers for Genetics and Animal Models of SchizophreniaL Elliot Hong; Fiscal Year: 2013..ranging from single cell to local field potentials in animals, to large-scale synchronized activities in human scalp. Patients with schizophrenia exhibit impaired neural oscillatory activities during sensory and cognitive tasks ..
- ATTENTION, ORIENTATION, &THE HUMAN PREFRONTAL CORTEXROBERT THOMAS KNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will then examine the causality of the oscillatory dynamics observed with ECoG using scalp EEG and behavioral methods in patients with focal lesions centered in lateral PFC regions activated in ECoG ..
- Sleep EEG and MRI Markers of Brain Recovery with Alcohol AbstinenceIAN MICHAEL COLRAIN; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Scalp recorded EEG delta activity during sleep is homeostatically regulated and has important roles in maintaining neurological and physical health...
- Biomimetic Self-Adhesive Dry EEG ElectrodesMingui Sun; Fiscal Year: 2013..This new electrode does not require application of electrolyte;is able to penetrate scalp hair easily during electrode placement;can be quickly applied and removed;has low and stable electrode impedance;..
- Attention-dependent neural oscillations in the human olfactory systemCHRISTINA MARIA ZELANO; Fiscal Year: 2013..frontal portions of the brain, the electrical signals generated from these regions are severely attenuated at the scalp, limiting the value of surface EEG in measuring olfactory local field potentials...
- ATTENTION, ORIENTATION, &PREFRONTAL CORTEXROBERT THOMAS KNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will then examine the causality of the oscillatory dynamics observed with ECoG using scalp EEG and behavioral methods in patients with focal lesions centered in lateral PFC...
- Picture Naming Electrified: Brain Electrophysiological Correlates Nathan D Maxfield; Fiscal Year: 2012..ERPs are reflexive changes in brain electrophysiological activity, recorded non- invasively at the scalp that can index specific psychological mechanisms with precision on the order of milliseconds...
- Closed-Loop Control of Hippocampal Output During a Working Memory TaskJoshua H Siegle; Fiscal Year: 2013..disorders, and dementias often display abnormal brain oscillations, as measured by electrical potentials on the scalp. One oscillatory band of interest is the theta band (4-10 Hz), which is disrupted in conditions ranging from ..
- A Placebo-Control Evaluation of Neurofeedback Efficacy in Adults with ADHDJulian R Keith; Fiscal Year: 2012..NFB is a type of biofeedback in which one receives feedback about brain activity recorded by a sensor on the scalp. Operant conditioning principles are employed to train participants to control certain aspects of ..
- CRCNS: Integrated Empirical and Multi-scale Modeling of Human Sleep SpindlesTerrence J Sejnowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..into a single, multiscale approach to understanding the origin of macroscopic field measurements outside the scalp based on the specific biophysical mechanisms occurring in neurons located in different layers of the cortex and ..
- Electrical Neuroimaging of Brain Processes during Human GaitDaniel P Ferris; Fiscal Year: 2013..subjects performing various locomotor tasks while we record movement kinematics and 256-channel EEG using active scalp electrodes...
- Effects of Mental Training on Voluntary Muscle Strength in AgingGuang H Yue; Fiscal Year: 2012..It has recently been shown that power of scalp EEG frequencies is linearly correlated to the intensity of muscle contraction...
- Dynamic Cortical Network Estimation from TMS/EEGBarry D Van Veen; Fiscal Year: 2013..signal-processing methods and EEG source models are employed to infer cortical network models directly from scalp recordings within a state-space framework...
- Neural Dynamics in SchizophreniaKevin M Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project will use measures of neural synchrony in the scalp-recorded electroencephalogram (EEG) to examine the functional integrity of neural circuitry in schizophrenia...
- The Hair Trigger StudyRUTH MARTHA GREENBLATT; Fiscal Year: 2012..experimental method involves measuring how much medication is actually in the body by testing samples of about 10 scalp hairs. Once the planning process is complete, we will submit a grant application to conduct the trial...
- Real time cortical connectivity imaging from EEG/MEG dataFelix Darvas; Fiscal Year: 2010..Traditionally, the feedback channels have been the EEC potentials recorded on the scalp surface or their spectral components...
- Optimal extracortical electrode placement for brain-controlled neuroprosthesesSTEPHEN FOLDES; Fiscal Year: 2009..These movement-related changes can be recorded from the scalp, the brain surface, or anywhere in between...
- How stopping movement affects working memoryADAM ROBERT ARON; Fiscal Year: 2013..how stopping affects WM while we simultaneously record local field potentials from implanted STN electrodes and scalp EEG from the frontal cortex...
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF LINGUISTIC PROCESSINGMarta Kutas; Fiscal Year: 2013..We use scalp-recorded event related brain potentials or ERPs (such as the N400 component) because (1) language is a human brain ..
- High Performance Seizure Monitoring and Alert SystemDeng Shan Shiau; Fiscal Year: 2013..have developed an automated algorithm to accurately detect seizures by analyzing the spatiotemporal patterns of scalp EEG signals...
- Self Abrading Rapidly Applied (SARA) ElectrodeSARAH MARIE WEIMER; Fiscal Year: 2012..is a medical sensor that contains all of the necessary materials to prepare the skin, adhere the electrode to the scalp, and conduct the signal with a simple three-step application: technician parts the hair, removes the electrode ..
- Reward-Related Brain Activity: Biomarker for Risk of Depression in ChildhoodGreg Hajcak; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): The feedback-related negativity (FRN) is an electrocortical response observed at the scalp as an apparent negativity approximately 300 ms following feedback indicating monetary loss compared to gain...
- Metals in Hair and Child Neurobehavioral DevelopmentCheryl R Stein; Fiscal Year: 2012..Lastly, we will examine the temporal variability of biomarkers of exposure to manganese in scalp hair...
- ERP and Behavior in Comprehension: Word-to-Text Integration and Word LearningCharles A Perfetti; Fiscal Year: 2012..much of the research used event related potentials (ERPs) measures, which are voltage shifts measure on the scalp surface in response to specific experimental events...
- Multisensory Integration in Children with ASDCLIFFORD DARRYL SARON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed project will examine behavioral and dense-array scalp-recorded EEG measures to brief auditory and somatosensory stimuli in children with ASD as compared to typically ..
- Integrated EEG/NIR Sensor System for InfantsCatherine Poulsen; Fiscal Year: 2009..A dense-array of 128 combined opto-electrodes sitting on the surface of the scalp will simultaneously record brain electrical activity (electroencephalography, EEG), and cerebral blood oxygenation ..
- The Role of the Cortex in Discoordination After StrokeJulius Dewald; Fiscal Year: 2009..DOF) load cell to provide simultaneous measurements of elbow and shoulder torques while measuring EEC from 163 scalp sites and EMG from 10 muscles in each arm...
- REFLEX REGULATION OF THE HUMAN BREATHING PATTERNJOHN DAUBENSPECK; Fiscal Year: 1999..of the proposed research is to characterize this afferent information in normal human subjects by mapping on the scalp the temporal topology of short-latency components of the electroencephalogram evoked by small, brief negative ..
- Functional analysis of the CYLD tumor suppressorJULIDE CELEBI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Typically these tumors are located on the scalp and face,appear in childhood or early adulthood, and gradually increase in size and number throughout life...
- A Computational Approach for 3D Brain Source ImagingBin He; Fiscal Year: 2010..for high resolution localization and imaging of epileptogenic foci within the 3-dimensional brain from noninvasive scalp EEC recordings and patients'structure imaging such as MRI and CT...
- A molecular toolbox for hypothesis testing in the dermatophytesTheodore C White; Fiscal Year: 2010..In a recent study, 22-50% of children in a U.S. daycare exhibited symptoms of dermatophytic scalp infection. The dermatophytes remain under-studied and under-funded...
- EVALUATION OF MEG AS A CURRENT SOURCE IMAGING TECHNIQUEYoshio Okada; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, the size of the fontanels and sutures as well as thickness of the scalp and skull change with age...
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation: A Bioengineering Approach to Assess its Effects on ResetLEONIDAS JASSEMIDIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our research on the dynamical analysis of the scalp and depth EEG, in both animal models and human subjects with epilepsy, has shown that a) seizures are preceded by ..
- PROTON METABOLITE MAPPING IN EXTRATEMPORAL EPILEPSYXiaoping Hu; Fiscal Year: 1999..epilepsy (ETE), localization of seizure foci is usually difficult with traditional non-invasive methods such as scalp electroencephalography, positron emission tomography, single photon emission computed tomography, magnetic ..
- Feasibility of Frontal Cerebral Hypothermia as a Treatment for InsomniaEric Nofzinger; Fiscal Year: 2009..including its founder and CEO, Dr. Nofzinger. The device itself consists of a thermal pad that covers the scalp over the prefrontal cortex of the brain, a temperature controlling bath, and a pump with plastic tubing for ..
- UTILIZATION OF TRIGEMINAL EVOKED POTENTIALS IN DENTISTRYCHARLES WIDMER; Fiscal Year: 1990..This proposal will focus on potentials recorded on the scalp in response to electrical stimulation of the trigeminal nerve...
- OPTICAL IMAGING OF BRAIN FUNCTION IN THE PRETERM INFANTJoseph Culver; Fiscal Year: 2009..requirements resulting in limited spatial resolution and confounds due to superficial signals arising from the scalp and skull...
- TMS TREATMENT OF MAJOR DEPRESSIONDavid Avery; Fiscal Year: 2002..current is induced in the cortext of the brain by the magnetic field of a small electromagnetic coil placed on the scalp. Unlike electroconvulsive therapy (ETC), one of the most effective treatment for severe depression, rTMS gives a ..
- Electrocorticography Visualization and Analysis SoftwareRichard Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Candidates for epilepsy surgery are generally evaluated first with scalp EEG...
- Molecular & cellular biology of hair follicle stem cellsStephen Lyle; Fiscal Year: 2006..stem cell rich area of telogen follicles as well as from the bulb area of anagen follicles dissected from human scalp. Through cDNA expression arrays, a number of genes appear to be expressed in the stem cell area that are not ..
- MRS LOCALIZATION OF ADULTS/PEDIATRIC EPILEPTIC FOCITHIAN NG; Fiscal Year: 2002..maximal electroencephalographic (EEG) epileptiform activity, as determined by video-EEG monitoring of conventional scalp-sphenoidal or by depth-electrode recordings, 2) post-resection histopathologic tissue abnormalities in the MRSI ..
- Quick Placement EEG Electrode and Installation ToolBenjamin Lane; Fiscal Year: 2007..Electrode placement on the scalp is currently problematic, time consuming, and labor intensive. In partnership with Baltimore Biomedical, Inc...
- Temporal Clustering Analysis for Detection of Irregular Transient fMRI ActivationVICTORIA MORGAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..EEG) recordings in two cohorts of focal epilepsy patients, (1) those with unilateral ictal discharges on scalp EEG, and (2) those with bilateral ictal discharges on scalp EEG...
- DEVELOPMENT OF BABYSQUID FOR NEONATAL BRAIN ASSESSMENTDOUGLAS PAULSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..MEG signals are transparent to the skull and scalp, thus unlike electroencephalographic (EEG) signals they are not distorted by the skull and fontanels...
- PREPARATION-FREE EEG TECHNOLOGYJAMES O HALLORAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..However, the process of transducing the very small cerebral electrical signals at the scalp surface remains difficult, requiring very low and balanced contact impedances to achieve acceptable levels of line ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF ALOPECIA AREATAMariza de Andrade; Fiscal Year: 2000Alopecia Areata, patchy hair loss which may progress to total scalp or body hair loss, affects 1-2 percent of the population...