- The influence of head motion on intrinsic functional connectivity MRI
Koene R A van Dijk
Harvard University Department of Psychology, Center for Brain Science, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Neuroimage 59:431-8. 2012
..A confounding factor is head motion. Children move more than adults, older adults more than younger adults, and patients more than controls...
- Bioelectric signaling regulates head and organ size during planarian regeneration
Wendy Scott Beane
Biology Department and Tufts Center for Regenerative and Developmental Biology, Tufts University, 200 Boston Avenue, Suite 4600, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Development 140:313-22. 2013
..Using the planarian model system, we report that membrane voltage-dependent bioelectric signaling determines both head size and organ scaling during regeneration...
- British 1990 growth reference centiles for weight, height, body mass index and head circumference fitted by maximum penalized likelihood
T J Cole
MRC Dunn Nutrition Centre, Cambridge, UK
Stat Med 17:407-29. 1998
To update the British growth reference, anthropometric data for weight, height, body mass index (weight/height2) and head circumference from 17 distinct surveys representative of England, Scotland and Wales (37,700 children, age range 23 ..
- The bilaterian head patterning gene six3/6 controls aboral domain development in a cnidarian
Sars Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
PLoS Biol 11:e1001488. 2013
The origin of the bilaterian head is a fundamental question for the evolution of animal body plans. The head of bilaterians develops at the anterior end of their primary body axis and is the site where the brain is located...
- Impact of in-scanner head motion on multiple measures of functional connectivity: relevance for studies of neurodevelopment in youth
Theodore D Satterthwaite
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neuroimage 60:623-32. 2012
It has recently been reported (Van Dijk et al., 2011) that in-scanner head motion can have a substantial impact on MRI measurements of resting-state functional connectivity...
- Formation of the head organizer in hydra involves the canonical Wnt pathway
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology and the Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Development 132:2907-16. 2005
..In hydra, the head organizer is located in the hypostome, the apical portion of the head...
- The head-regeneration transcriptome of the planarian Schmidtea mediterranea
Division Signaling and Functional Genomics, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Genome Biol 12:R76. 2011
Planarian flatworms can regenerate their head, including a functional brain, within less than a week...
- Candidate gene screen in the red flour beetle Tribolium reveals six3 as ancient regulator of anterior median head and central complex development
Center for Molecular Physiology of the Brain CMPB, Göttingen Center of Molecular Biology, Caspari Haus, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS Genet 7:e1002416. 2011
Several highly conserved genes play a role in anterior neural plate patterning of vertebrates and in head and brain patterning of insects...
- Smed-betacatenin-1 is required for anteroposterior blastema polarity in planarian regeneration
Christian P Petersen
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 319:327-30. 2008
..Posterior-facing blastemas regenerate a head instead of a tail in Smed-betacatenin-1(RNAi) animals...
- Genetic and environmental influences on birth weight, birth length, head circumference, and gestational age by use of population-based parent-offspring data
Section for Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Am J Epidemiol 165:734-41. 2007
..and shared sibling environmental effects on birth weight and gestational age and also on crown-heel length and head circumference...
- Evidence of brain overgrowth in the first year of life in autism
Department of Neuroscience, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, USA
JAMA 290:337-44. 2003
..This raises the possibility that brain overgrowth begins much earlier, perhaps before the first clinically noticeable behavioral symptoms...
- Reactivating head regrowth in a regeneration-deficient planarian species
S Y Liu
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauerstraße 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nature 500:81-4. 2013
..Tissue fragments cut from the posterior half of the body of this species are unable to regenerate a head and ultimately die...
- twist is required in head mesenchyme for cranial neural tube morphogenesis
Z F Chen
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Genes Dev 9:686-99. 1995
..Mutant embryos also had defects in head mesenchyme, somites, and limb buds...
- A new magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography (MREIT) algorithm: the RSM-MREIT algorithm with applications to estimation of human head conductivity
College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University, People s Republic of China
Phys Med Biol 51:3067-83. 2006
..electrical conductivity values of the scalp, the skull and the brain tissue, in a three-shell piecewise homogeneous head model...
- Birth weight, head circumference, and prenatal exposure to acrylamide from maternal diet: the European prospective mother-child study (NewGeneris)
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology CREAL, Barcelona, Spain
Environ Health Perspect 120:1739-45. 2012
..Acrylamide is a common dietary exposure that crosses the human placenta. It is classified as a probable human carcinogen, and developmental toxicity has been observed in rodents...
- Modeling the electric field induced in a high resolution realistic head model during transcranial current stimulation
Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering IBEB, Faculty of Sciences, Lisbon 1749 016, Portugal
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:2073-6. 2010
..distribution in transcranial current stimulation (tCS) still relies on results obtained from layered spherical head models...
- The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1662, USA
Nature 397:707-10. 1999
Embryological and genetic evidence indicates that the vertebrate head is induced by a different set of signals from those that organize trunk-tail development...
- Repressor activity of Headless/Tcf3 is essential for vertebrate head formation
C H Kim
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, NICHD, NHGRI, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 407:913-6. 2000
..can induce a complete body axis when transplanted to the ventral side of a host embryo by virtue of its distinct head and trunk inducing properties...
- 10/20, 10/10, and 10/5 systems revisited: their validity as relative head-surface-based positioning systems
Sensory and Cognitive Food Science Laboratory, National Food Research Institute, 2 1 12 Kannondai, Tsukuba 305 8642, Japan
Neuroimage 34:1600-11. 2007
..However, their effectiveness as relative head-surface-based positioning systems has not been examined...
- Common variants at 12q15 and 12q24 are associated with infant head circumference
H Rob Taal
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 44:532-8. 2012
To identify genetic variants associated with head circumference in infancy, we performed a meta-analysis of seven genome-wide association studies (GWAS) (N = 10,768 individuals of European ancestry enrolled in pregnancy and/or birth ..
- Diffuse optical imaging of the whole head
Maria Angela Franceschini
Massachusetts General Hospital, Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, 13th Street, Bldg 149 RM 2301, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:054007. 2006
..DOI system has 32 detectors and 32 sources; by arranging them in a specific pattern, we can cover most of the adult head. With the increased number of optodes, we can collect optical data from prefrontal, sensorimotor, and visual ..
- Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) in a realistic head model
ROSALIND J SADLEIR
J Crayton Pruitt Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Box 116131, Gainesville, FL 32611 6131, USA
Neuroimage 51:1310-8. 2010
..A model of the entire human head and brain was made using a finely meshed (1.1x1.1x1...
- Acceleration patterns of the head and pelvis when walking are associated with risk of falling in community-dwelling older people
Hylton B Menz
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, High Street, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 58:M446-52. 2003
..This study evaluated acceleration patterns of the head and pelvis when walking on a level and an unpredictably irregular surface to determine whether older people at risk ..
- Walking speed, cadence and step length are selected to optimize the stability of head and pelvis accelerations
Mark D Latt
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
Exp Brain Res 184:201-9. 2008
..hypothesis that an individual's preferred or usual walking speed, step length and cadence optimize the stability of head and pelvic accelerations in vertical (V), anterior-posterior (AP) and medio-lateral (ML) planes when walking...
- Coupling of fingertip somatosensory information to head and body sway
J J Jeka
Department of Kinesiology, University of Maryland, College Park 20742 2611, USA
Exp Brain Res 113:475-83. 1997
..Postural sway was highly coherent with contact surface motion. Head and body sway assumed the frequency of the moving contact surface at all test frequencies...
- Silencing of Smed-betacatenin1 generates radial-like hypercephalized planarians
Departament de Genetica, Universitat de Barcelona, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Development 135:1215-21. 2008
..mediterranea beta-catenins could be functionally specialized and that only Smed-betacatenin1 is involved in Wnt signalling...
- Essential head tremor is associated with cerebellar vermis atrophy: a volumetric and voxel-based morphometry MR imaging study
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Piano Lago di Mangone, Cosenza, Italy
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29:1692-7. 2008
..Our aim was to investigate the presence of brain gray matter (GM) abnormalities in patients with different forms of essential tremor (ET)...
- A role for the head-direction system in geometric learning
Seralynne D Vann
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, 70 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3AT, UK
Behav Brain Res 224:201-6. 2011
Several recent models of episodic memory have highlighted a potential contribution from the head-direction system; there is, however, surprisingly little known about the behavioural effects of selective lesions within the head-direction ..
- Travelling and splitting of a wave of hedgehog expression involved in spider-head segmentation
JT Biohistory Research Hall, Murasaki cho, Takatsuki, Osaka, Japan
Nat Commun 2:500. 2011
..Here we show temporally repeated splitting of gene expression into stripes that is associated with head axis growth in the spider Achaearanea embryo...
- The fine structure of honeybee head and body yaw movements in a homing task
Bielefeld University, Neurobiology and Center of Excellence Cognitive Interaction Technology, Bielefeld, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 277:1899-906. 2010
Honeybees turn their thorax and thus their flight motor to change direction or to fly sideways. If the bee's head were fixed to its thorax, such movements would have great impact on vision...
- Selective head cooling with mild systemic hypothermia after neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy: a multicenter randomized controlled trial in China
Wen Hao Zhou
Children s Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
J Pediatr 157:367-72, 372.e1-3. 2010
To investigate the efficacy and safety of selective head cooling with mild systemic hypothermia in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) in newborn infants.
- Maternal seafood consumption and infant birth weight, length and head circumference in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
Anne Lise Brantsæter
Division of Environmental Medicine, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Nydalen, Oslo, Norway
Br J Nutr 107:436-44. 2012
..seafood, subtypes of seafood and supplementary n-3 fatty acids were associated with infant birth weight, length and head circumference in a prospective study in Norway...
- Anterior visceral endoderm directs ventral morphogenesis and placement of head and heart via BMP2 expression
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, NY 10065, USA
Dev Cell 21:907-19. 2011
..results in human birth defects involving body wall, gut, and heart malformations and in mouse misplacement of head and heart...
- Head lag in infants at risk for autism: a preliminary study
Joanne E Flanagan
Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, MD 21211, USA
Am J Occup Ther 66:577-85. 2012
..We examined the association between head lag during pull-to-sit at age 6 mo and autism risk status. METHOD...
- A human parietal face area contains aligned head-centered visual and tactile maps
Martin I Sereno
Department of Cognitive Science, Institute for Neural Computation, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nat Neurosci 9:1337-43. 2006
..We show that this area may code the location of visual stimuli with respect to the face, not with respect to the retina...
- The evolution of arthropod heads: reconciling morphological, developmental and palaeontological evidence
Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Institut für Biologie Vergleichende Zoologie, Philippstrasse 13, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 216:395-415. 2006
Understanding the head is one of the great challenges in the fields of comparative anatomy, developmental biology, and palaeontology of arthropods...
- Genomic and functional studies of Drosophila sex hierarchy regulated gene expression in adult head and nervous system tissues
Thomas D Goldman
Section of Molecular and Computational Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS Genet 3:e216. 2007
..specification of reproductive behaviors and physiology, we identified genes expressed in the adult head and central nervous system that are regulated downstream of sex-specific transcription factors encoded by doublesex ..
- Mouse Otx2 functions in the formation and patterning of rostral head
Department of Morphogenesis, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Genes Dev 9:2646-58. 1995
The anterior part of the vertebrate head expresses a group of homeo box genes in segmentally restricted patterns during embryogenesis. Among these, Otx2 expression covers the entire fore- and midbrains and takes place earliest...
- Monte Carlo prediction of near-infrared light propagation in realistic adult and neonatal head models
Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Keio University, 3 141, Hyoshi, Kohoku Ku, Yokohama 223 8522, Japan
Appl Opt 42:2881-7. 2003
..The effect of the heterogeneous structure of the head on light propagation in the adult brain is likely to be different from that in the neonatal brain because the ..
- A balance of FGF, BMP and WNT signalling positions the future placode territory in the head
Department of Craniofacial Development, Guys Campus, Guys Tower, Floor 27, King s College London, London SE1 9RT, UK
Development 132:4051-62. 2005
The sensory nervous system in the vertebrate head arises from two different cell populations: neural crest and placodal cells. By contrast, in the trunk it originates from neural crest only...
- The TALE class homeobox gene Smed-prep defines the anterior compartment for head regeneration
Daniel A Felix
Institute of Genetics, Queen s Medical Centre, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 6:e1000915. 2010
..Together our results suggest that Smed-prep is required in stem cell progeny as they form the anterior regenerative blastema and is required for specifying anterior cell fates and correct patterning...
- Revised birth centiles for weight, length and head circumference in the UK-WHO growth charts
Tim J Cole
Medical Statistics, UCL Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Ann Hum Biol 38:7-11. 2011
..The pre-existing British 1990 reference birth centiles, used in the UK since 1995, had been biased by the inclusion of post-natal data...
- Quantitative relationship between axonal injury and mechanical response in a rodent head impact acceleration model
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Neurotrauma 28:1767-82. 2011
..25 m or 2.25 m. An accelerometer and angular rate sensor measured the linear and angular responses of the head, while the impact event was captured by a high-speed video camera...
- Cerberus is a head-inducing secreted factor expressed in the anterior endoderm of Spemann's organizer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1737, USA
Nature 382:595-601. 1996
..The results suggest a role for a molecule expressed in the anterior endoderm in the induction of head structures in the vertebrate embryo.
- Rapidly evolving genes of Drosophila: differing levels of selective pressure in testis, ovary, and head tissues between sibling species
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Mol Biol Evol 22:1793-801. 2005
..We screened testis, ovary, and head tissues to identify and characterize rapidly evolving genes (REGs) between closely related species...
- Caloric and search-coil head-impulse testing in patients after vestibular neuritis
Department of Neurology, Zurich University Hospital, Switzerland
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 2:72-8. 2001
The objective of this study was to compare results of quantitative head-impulse testing using search coils with eye-movement responses to caloric irrigation in patients with unilateral vestibular hypofunction after vestibular neuritis...
- Is there a relationship between head posture and craniomandibular pain?
C M Visscher
Department of Oral Function, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Oral Rehabil 29:1030-6. 2002
An often-suggested factor in the aetiology of craniomandibular disorders (CMD) is an anteroposition of the head. However, the results of clinical studies to the relationship between CMD and head posture are contradictory...
- Allometric scaling and proportion regulation in the freshwater planarian Schmidtea mediterranea
Néstor J Oviedo
University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Dev Dyn 226:326-33. 2003
..We have named H.112.3c cintillo ("head ribbon" in Spanish) and present a strategy for using the expression of this gene to monitor scale and ..
- Trigeminal somatosensory innervation of the head of a teleost fish with particular reference to nociception
Lynne U Sneddon
Roslin Institute, Welfare Biology, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9PS, UK
Brain Res 972:44-52. 2003
..the rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) to determine what types of somatosensory receptors were present on the head of the trout specifically searching for nociceptors...
- Cranial neural crest and the building of the vertebrate head
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Université Lousis Pasteur, BP 10142 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Nat Rev Neurosci 4:806-18. 2003
- The active head-impulse test in unilateral peripheral vestibulopathy
Ross A Black
Department of Neurology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Arch Neurol 62:290-3. 2005
The head-impulse test, which is sensitive and specific for detecting severe unilateral peripheral vestibulopathy, is an accepted part of the neurological examination, especially in patients with vertigo and balance disorders.
- Nociception in fish: stimulus-response properties of receptors on the head of trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
Paul J Ashley
University of Liverpool, School of Biological Sciences, The BioScience Building, Liverpool, L69 7ZB, UK
Brain Res 1166:47-54. 2007
This study examined stimulus-response properties of somatosensory receptors on the head of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, using extracellular recording from single cells in the trigeminal ganglion...
- Effect of head size on diffusion tensor imaging
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Neuroimage 57:958-67. 2011
b>Head size markedly differs among individuals. To our knowledge, there have been no studies that systematically investigated the effect of head size on diffusion tensor measures of the brain...
- Evaluation of multiple-sphere head models for MEG source localization
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario M5G1X8, Canada
Phys Med Biol 56:5621-35. 2011
Magnetoencephalography (MEG) source analysis has largely relied on spherical conductor models of the head to simplify forward calculations of the brain's magnetic field...
- Initiating head development in mouse embryos: integrating signalling and transcriptional activity
Ruth M Arkell
Early Mammalian Development Laboratory, Research School of Biology, College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Open Biol 2:120030. 2012
..The initial formation of the anterior (head) structures in the mouse embryo is critically dependent on the morphogenetic activity emanating from two signalling ..
- Depth-compensated diffuse optical tomography enhanced by general linear model analysis and an anatomical atlas of human head
Department of Bioengineering, Joint Program in Biomedical Engineering between UT Arlington and UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX, USA
Neuroimage 85:166-80. 2014
..However, the semi-infinite model that was used in DCA deviated significantly from the realistic human head anatomy...
- Growth control in the proliferative region of the Drosophila eye-head primordium: the elbow-noc gene complex
Carlos M Luque
ICREA and Institute for Research in Biomedicine IRB, Parc Cientific de Barcelona, Josep Samitier, 1 5, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Dev Biol 301:327-39. 2007
..Notch activation at the dorsal-ventral boundary of the Drosophila eye-head primordium leads to the expression of the secreted protein Unpaired, a ligand of the JAK-STAT pathway that induces ..
- Differential gene expression in the honeybee head after a bacterial challenge
Laboratory of Zoophysiology, Department of Biochemistry, Physiology and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Dev Comp Immunol 32:883-9. 2008
..Using quantitative real-time PCR, we present evidence that gene expression in the honeybee head is influenced by activation of the immune system 8h after a bacterial challenge with Escherichia coli...
- Hyperthermia impairs short-term memory and peripheral motor drive transmission
ASPETAR, Qatar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital, Exercise and Sports Science Department, Doha, Qatar
J Physiol 586:4751-62. 2008
..were to determine (i) the effect of passive hyperthermia on motor drive and cognitive function, and (ii) whether head cooling can limit the hyperthermia-induced alterations...
- Clinical characteristics of people with head nodding in southern Tanzania
Andrea S Winkler
Interdisciplinary Centre for Palliative Medicine and Department of Neurology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Trop Doct 40:173-5. 2010
We have previously described a seizure disorder characterized by head nodding (HN). In a prospective study in southern Tanzania, we evaluated 62 patients with HN...
- Sound pressure transformations by the head and pinnae of the adult Chinchilla (Chinchilla lanigera)
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Colorado Medical School, Aurora, CO, USA
Hear Res 272:135-47. 2011
..These cues are generated by the spatial- and frequency-dependent filtering of propagating sound waves by the head and external ears...
- Combining classical and molecular approaches elaborates on the complexity of mechanisms underpinning anterior regeneration
Deborah J Evans
Centre for Genetics and Genomics, Queen s Medical Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e27927. 2011
..Together these insights start to delineate the interplay between discrete existing, new, and then later homeostatic signals in AP axis regeneration...
- Mechanics of blast loading on the head models in the study of traumatic brain injury using experimental and computational approaches
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68588 0656, USA
Biomech Model Mechanobiol 12:511-31. 2013
..To understand the interactions of blast waves on the head and brain and to identify the mechanisms of injury, compression-driven air shock tubes are extensively used in ..
- Characterization of head transcriptome and analysis of gene expression involved in caste differentiation and aggression in Odontotermes formosanus (Shiraki)
Hubei Insect Resources Utilization and Sustainable Pest Management Key Laboratory, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China
PLoS ONE 7:e50383. 2012
..formosanus. Hence, studies on transcriptome and gene expression profiling are helpful to better understand molecular basis underlying caste differentiation and aggressive behavior in O. formosanus...
- Head regeneration in Hydra
Hans R Bode
Developmental Biology Center and Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Dev Dyn 226:225-36. 2003
Hydra, a primitive metazoan, has a simple structure consisting of a head, body column, and foot aligned along a single oral-aboral axis. The body column has a high capacity for regeneration of both the head and foot...
- Hensen's node gives rise to the ventral midline of the foregut: implications for organizing head and heart development
Margaret L Kirby
Neonatal Perinatal Research Institute, Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Box 3179, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Dev Biol 253:175-88. 2003
Patterning of the ventral head has been attributed to various cell populations, including endoderm, mesoderm, and neural crest...
- Reevaluation of near-infrared light propagation in the adult human head: implications for functional near-infrared spectroscopy
Tokyo Institute of Psychiatry, Department of Integrated Neuroscience, 2 1 8 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8585, Japan
J Biomed Opt 10:064032. 2005
Using both experimental and theoretical methods, we examine the contribution of different parts of the head to near-IR (NIR) signal...
- Microbiology and antibiotic sensitivities of head and neck space infections of odontogenic origin
Anthony J Rega
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103 2400, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1377-80. 2006
The purpose of this study is to assess the anatomical spaces and causative micro-organisms responsible for deep fascial space head and neck infections and evaluate the resistance of antibiotics used in the treatment of these infections.
- Conebeam CT of the head and neck, part 2: clinical applications
A C Miracle
Departments of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, University Hospital, Ann Arbor, Mich 48109 5030, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1285-92. 2009
Conebeam x-ray CT (CBCT) is being increasingly used for point-of-service head and neck and dentomaxillofacial imaging...
- Anticipating intentional actions: the effect of eye gaze direction on the judgment of head rotation
School of Psychology, Bangor University, Adeilad Brigantia, Penrallt Road, Bangor, United Kingdom
Cognition 112:423-34. 2009
..momentum paradigm, this study investigated the hypothesis that judgments of how far another agent's head has rotated are influenced by the perceived gaze direction of the head...
- Yellow-e determines the color pattern of larval head and tail spots of the silkworm Bombyx mori
Department of Agricultural and Environmental Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Biol Chem 285:5624-9. 2010
..In two mutant strains, bts and its allele bts2, of the silkworm Bombyx mori, the larval head cuticle and anal plates are reddish brown instead of the white color found in the wild type...
- Head patterning and Hox gene expression in an onychophoran and its implications for the arthropod head problem
Bo Joakim Eriksson
University Museum of Zoology and Department of Zoology, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EJ, UK
Dev Genes Evol 220:117-22. 2010
The arthropod head problem has puzzled zoologists for more than a century. The head of adult arthropods is a complex structure resulting from the modification, fusion and migration of an uncertain number of segments...
- Pectoralis major myocutaneous flaps for head and neck reconstruction: factors influencing occurrences of complications and the final outcome
Fábio Roberto Pinto
FMABC, Sao Bernardo do Campo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 128:336-41. 2010
..The aim of this study was to identify factors that may cause complications and influence the final result from reconstructions using pectoralis major myocutaneous flaps (PMMFs) for head and neck defect repair following cancer resection.
- Pharyngeal mesoderm development during embryogenesis: implications for both heart and head myogenesis
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Cardiovasc Res 91:196-202. 2011
The pharyngeal mesoderm (PM), located in the head region of the developing embryo, recently triggered renewed interest as the major source of cells contributing to broad regions of the heart as well as to the head musculature...
- Simulation of near-infrared light absorption considering individual head and prefrontal cortex anatomy: implications for optical neuroimaging
Florian B Haeussinger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e26377. 2011
..57) and was reduced by 41.5% in subjects with relatively large compared to small frontal sinus. Head circumference was significantly positively correlated with the mean SCD (r=...
- Head direction, place, and movement correlates for cells in the rat retrosplenial cortex
Department of Neurobiology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Behav Neurosci 115:3-25. 2001
..L. Chen, L. H. Lin, E. J. Green, C. A. Barnes, & B. L. McNaughton, 1994), the authors found head direction cells with properties similar to those in other areas. These cells were slightly anticipatory...
- Randomized study comparing the "sniffing position" with simple head extension for laryngoscopic view in elective surgery patients
Department of Anesthesiology, Hĵpital Avicenne, University Paris 13, France
Anesthesiology 95:836-41. 2001
..However, no study to date has confirmed its superiority over simple head extension...
- C. elegans responds to chemical repellents by integrating sensory inputs from the head and the tail
Massimo A Hilliard
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, 80131 Naples, Italy
Curr Biol 12:730-4. 2002
..The similar structures of the phasmids and the amphid chemosensory organs in the head have long suggested a chemosensory function for the phasmids...
- Relationship between head circumference and brain volume in healthy normal toddlers, children, and adults
H H Bartholomeusz
Center for Autism Research, Children s Hospital of San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuropediatrics 33:239-41. 2002
To quantify the relationship between brain volume and head circumference from early childhood to adulthood, and quantify how this relationship changes with age.
- Generic head models for atlas-based EEG source analysis
Signal and Image Processing Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 2564, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 27:129-43. 2006
We describe a method for using a generic head model, in the form of an anatomical atlas, to produce EEG source localizations. The atlas is fitted to the subject by a nonrigid warp using a set of surface landmarks...
- Variability of blowfly head optomotor responses
Lehrstuhl für Neurobiologie, Universitat Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
J Exp Biol 212:1170-84. 2009
..In the present study, we analyse the variability of visually induced head pitch responses of tethered blowflies by high-speed cinematography...
- Polarized notum activation at wounds inhibits Wnt function to promote planarian head regeneration
Christian P Petersen
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 332:852-5. 2011
Regeneration requires initiation of programs tailored to the identity of missing parts. Head-versus-tail regeneration in planarians presents a paradigm for study of this phenomenon. After injury, Wnt signaling promotes tail regeneration...
- Theta-modulated head direction cells in the rat anterior thalamus
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, School of Psychology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Neurosci 31:9489-502. 2011
..Theta rhythm and head directionality are the two main signals found across all levels of Papez's circuit, which supports episodic memory ..
- Mouse embryonic head as a site for hematopoietic stem cell development
307 Ivy Translational Medicine Center, Laboratory of Oncology, Affiliated Hospital of Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100071, China
Cell Stem Cell 11:663-75. 2012
..Here we report that, in parallel to the AGM region, the E10.5-E11.5 mouse head harbors bona fide HSCs, as defined by long-term, high-level, multilineage reconstitution and self-renewal capacity ..
- Genomic diversity and evolution of the head crest in the rock pigeon
Michael D Shapiro
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Science 339:1063-7. 2013
..We identified the gene EphB2 as a strong candidate for the derived head crest phenotype shared by numerous breeds, an important trait in mate selection in many avian species...
- Eye-head coordination for the steering of locomotion in humans: an anticipatory synergy
Section of Human Physiology, Scientific Institute S Lucia, Rome, Italy
Neurosci Lett 253:115-8. 1998
We investigated head and gaze orientation in six healthy volunteers walking along 90 degrees corner trajectories, both at light and with eyes closed...
- Goosecoid promotes head organizer activity by direct repression of Xwnt8 in Spemann's organizer
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 128:2975-87. 2001
Formation of the vertebrate body plan is controlled by discrete head and trunk organizers that establish the anteroposterior pattern of the body axis...
- Optimal fetal growth for the Caucasian singleton and assessment of appropriateness of fetal growth: an analysis of a total population perinatal database
Eve M Blair
Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, at the Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, P, O, Box 855, West Perth, WA, 6872, Australia
BMC Pediatr 5:13. 2005
..Appropriateness of growth can then be inferred from the ratio of the value of the observed dimension to that of the optimal dimension...
- Distinct origins and genetic programs of head muscle satellite cells
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Dev Cell 16:822-32. 2009
..Similar lineage heterogeneity is seen within the head musculature and satellite cells, due to their shared, heterogenic embryonic origins...
- Neuroelectromagnetic forward head modeling toolbox
Zeynep Akalin Acar
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0961, USA
J Neurosci Methods 190:258-70. 2010
This paper introduces a Neuroelectromagnetic Forward Head Modeling Toolbox (NFT) running under MATLAB (The Mathworks, Inc...
- Novel segment polarity gene interactions during embryonic head development in Drosophila
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6074, USA
Dev Biol 192:599-613. 1997
..regulation of the genes hedgehog (hh), wingless (wg), and engrailed (en) in each of the segments of the developing head. We show that the cross-regulatory relationships among these genes, as well as their initial mode of activation, in ..
- Expression and regulation of Lhx6 and Lhx7, a novel subfamily of LIM homeodomain encoding genes, suggests a role in mammalian head development
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, The National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 125:2063-74. 1998
..We suggest that Fgf8 and Lhx6 and Lhx7 are key components of signalling cascades which determine morphogenesis and differentiation in the first branchial arch and the basal forebrain...
- A population-based atlas and clinical target volume for the head-and-neck lymph nodes
Department of Radiation Medicine, Toronto Sunnybrook Cancer Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1301-11. 2004
To develop a population-based three-dimensional lymph node target volume of the head and neck.
- Surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy in patients with cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to lymph nodes: combined treatment should be considered best practice
Michael J Veness
Head and Neck Cancer Service, Westmead Hospital, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia michael radonc wsahs nsw gov au
Laryngoscope 115:870-5. 2005
Patients with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) may develop metastatic SCC to nodes in the head and neck. Recent data support best outcome with the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy...
- Cue control and head direction cells
J P Goodridge
Department of Psychology, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Behav Neurosci 112:749-61. 1998
Previous research has shown that head direction (HD) cells in both the anterior dorsal thalamus (ADN) and the postsubiculum (PoS) in rats discharge in relation to familiar, visual landmarks in the environment...
- Effect of maternal bone lead on length and head circumference of newborns and 1-month-old infants
Centro de Investigacion en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Morelos, Mexico
Arch Environ Health 57:482-8. 2002
..Patella lead was positively and significantly related to the risk of a low head circumference score; this score remained unaffected by inclusion of birth weight...
- Melanoma of the head and neck: current concepts in staging, diagnosis, and management
Maher N Younes
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Box 441, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 13:201-29. 2004
..Finally, new advances in diagnostic and treatment strategies carry the hope for further improvements in locoregional control and survival rates...
- Parietal area VIP neuronal responses to heading stimuli are encoded in head-centered coordinates
Center for Neuroscience, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Neuron 42:993-1001. 2004
..This stability was such that the population of VIP neurons represented heading very nearly in head-centered coordinates...
- Organ specification-growth control connection: new in-sights from the Drosophila eye-antennal disc
Instituto de Neurociencias, CSIC UMH, Campus de Sant Joan, Alicante, Spain
Dev Dyn 232:673-84. 2005
..The eye-antennal disc gives origin not only to the compound eye but also to the head capsule, ocelli, maxillary palp, and antenna, and these organs develop bearing constant size proportions with each ..
- Muscle development: forming the head and trunk muscles
Hung Ping Shih
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Acta Histochem 110:97-108. 2008
..Different states of the network specify pre-myogenic progenitor cells in the head and trunk...
- CD44s and CD44v6 expression in head and neck epithelia
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Grosshadern Medical Center, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e3360. 2008
..form of CD44 (CD44s) was shown to be part of the signature of cancer stem cells (CSCs) in colon, breast, and in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC)...