- Endothelial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with coronary artery disease
Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin, Abteilung Kardiologie, Hamburg, Germany
Circulation 104:2673-8. 2001
..This study was designed to determine whether endothelial dysfunction and vascular oxidative stress have prognostic impact on cardiovascular event rates in patients with coronary artery disease...
- Acute effect of a single high-fat meal on forearm blood flow, blood pressure and heart rate in healthy male Asians and Caucasians: a pilot study
Department of Health Promotion and Education, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 41:490-500. 2010
..However, the forearm BF response to occlusion in Caucasian and Asian populations after a single HF meal has not been compared...
- Postconditioning protects against endothelial ischemia-reperfusion injury in the human forearm
Stavros P Loukogeorgakis
Vascular Physiology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, WC1N 3JE, United Kingdom
Circulation 113:1015-9. 2006
..The aim of this study was to determine whether postconditioning protects against endothelial IR injury in humans, in vivo...
- Reconstruction with radial forearm flaps after ablative surgery for hypopharyngeal cancer
Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Disorders, A71, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Head Neck 25:261-6. 2003
..After extensive ablative surgery, it is imperative to use a reliable, low morbidity reconstructive strategy that will allow for an expedient reconstitution of speech and swallowing...
- Performance of near-infrared spectroscopy in measuring local O(2) consumption and blood flow in skeletal muscle
M C van Beekvelt
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:511-9. 2001
The aim of this study was to investigate local muscle O(2) consumption (muscV(O(2))) and forearm blood flow (FBF) in resting and exercising muscle by use of near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) and to compare the results with the global ..
- Tubular versus conventional repair of median and ulnar nerves in the human forearm: early results from a prospective, randomized, clinical study
Department of Hand Surgery, University of Lund, University Hospital, , Sweden
J Hand Surg Am 22:99-106. 1997
..This concept was adopted for repair of transected human median and ulnar nerves in the forearm. As an alternative to conventional microsurgical repair of the nerve trunk, silicone tubes of appropriate size ..
- Ischemic preconditioning prevents endothelial injury and systemic neutrophil activation during ischemia-reperfusion in humans in vivo
R K Kharbanda
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University College London, London, UK
Circulation 103:1624-30. 2001
..We studied the effects of experimental IR on endothelial and neutrophil function in the human forearm in vivo and examined the protection afforded by IPC.
- Event-related beta EEG changes during wrist movements induced by functional electrical stimulation of forearm muscles in man
G R Müller
Department of Medical Informatics, Institute of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, University of Technology Graz, Inffeldgasse 16a, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Neurosci Lett 340:143-7. 2003
..changes were studied during wrist movements induced by functional electrical stimulation (FES) of the appropriate forearm muscles in healthy volunteers. Active and passive hand movements were investigated as control conditions...
- Association between clinical depression and endothelial function measured by forearm hyperemic reactivity
Kim L Lavoie
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Psychosom Med 72:20-6. 2010
..major depressive disorder [MDD] and minor depressive disorder [MiDD]) and endothelial function (EF), via forearm hyperemic reactivity (FHR), in patients referred for myocardial perfusion imaging...
- Vascular effects of apelin in vivo in man
Alan G Japp
Centre for Cardiovascular Science, University of Edinburgh, Chancellor s Building, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:908-13. 2008
..This study was designed to establish the direct vascular effects of apelin in vivo in man...
- Endothelial dysfunction, impaired endogenous fibrinolysis, and cigarette smoking: a mechanism for arterial thrombosis and myocardial infarction
D E Newby
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Research Centre, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, Scotland
Circulation 99:1411-5. 1999
..Smoking is a known risk factor for arterial thrombosis and myocardial infarction, and it causes endothelial dysfunction. We therefore examined the effects of cigarette smoking on substance P-induced tPA release in vivo in humans...
- Radial forearm free flap pharyngoesophageal reconstruction
University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Laryngoscope 111:807-10. 2001
OBJECTIVES: This study evaluates the outcome of pharyngoesophageal reconstruction using radial forearm free flaps with regard to primary wound healing, speech, and swallowing in patients requiring laryngopharyngectomy...
- Corticomotor representation to a human forearm muscle changes following cervical spinal cord injury
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Eur J Neurosci 34:1839-46. 2011
..imaging studies, using blood oxygen level-dependent signals, have demonstrated cortical reorganization of forearm muscle maps towards the denervated leg area following spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- Transient limb ischemia induces remote preconditioning and remote postconditioning in humans by a K(ATP)-channel dependent mechanism
Stavros P Loukogeorgakis
Vascular Physiology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 34 Great Ormond St, London, WC1N 3JE, UK
Circulation 116:1386-95. 2007
..Using an in vivo model of endothelial IR injury, we sought to determine whether RPostC occurred in humans and whether it shared mechanistic similarities with RIPC...
- Aging and forearm postjunctional alpha-adrenergic vasoconstriction in healthy men
Frank A Dinenno
Department of Anesthesiology and General Clinical Research Center, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Circulation 106:1349-54. 2002
..vasoconstrictor nerve activity increases with age in healthy humans but does not result in an augmented forearm vasoconstrictor tone...
- Utility of ultrasonographic venous assessment prior to forearm arteriovenous fistula creation
K S Brimble
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Nephrol 58:122-7. 2002
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical utility of Doppler ultrasound (US) prior to native forearm arteriovenous fistula (AVF) creation.
- Role of mechanical and psychosocial factors in the onset of forearm pain: prospective population based study
G J Macfarlane
Unit of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, School of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, Medical School, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
BMJ 321:676-9. 2000
To determine the aetiology of forearm pain...
- Raised corticomotor excitability of M1 forearm area following anodal tDCS is sustained during robotic wrist therapy in chronic stroke
D J Edwards
Burke Institute of Medical Research, 785 Mamaroneck Av, White Plains New York, 10605, USA
Restor Neurol Neurosci 27:199-207. 2009
- Excitability changes in human forearm corticospinal projections and spinal reflex pathways during rhythmic voluntary movement of the opposite limb
R G Carson
Perception and Motor Systems Laboratory, Connell Building 26, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
J Physiol 560:929-40. 2004
..Our findings indicate that the patterned modulation of excitability in motor pathways that occurs during rhythmic movements of the opposite limb is mediated primarily by interhemispheric interactions between cortical motor areas...
- Gender differences in the innate immune response and vascular reactivity following the administration of endotoxin to human volunteers
Lucas T van Eijk
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Crit Care Med 35:1464-9. 2007
..To determine gender differences in the innate immune response and vascular reactivity during human endotoxemia...
- Real-time classification of forearm electromyographic signals corresponding to user-selected intentional movements for multifunction prosthesis control
Toronto Rehabilitation Institution, Toronto, ON, Canada
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:535-42. 2007
..EMG signals were recorded from the forearm extensor and flexor muscles of seven able-bodied participants and one congenital amputee...
- Motor cortex excitability in Alzheimer's disease: a transcranial magnetic stimulation study
Department of Neurology, University Campus Biomedico, Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Ann Neurol 53:102-8. 2003
..Cortical motor output to upper limbs was tested via motor-evoked potentials from forearm and hand muscles elicited by transcranial magnetic stimulation of motor cortex in 16 patients with mild Alzheimer'..
- Anatomy and biomechanics of the interosseous membrane: its importance in the longitudinal stability of the forearm
L A Poitevin
Department of Orthopaedics, and Medical School, and Buenos Aires University Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hand Clin 17:97-110, vii. 2001
..It checks dissociating forces, transmits forces from one forearm bone to the other, and coordinates loading forces...
- Reconstruction of essex-lopresti injury of the forearm: technical note
George D Chloros
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:124-30. 2008
Longitudinal instability of the forearm resulting from an Essex-Lopresti injury is a surgical challenge, and no technique has yet met universal success...
- Bipaddled radial forearm flap for the reconstruction of bilateral buccal defects in oral submucous fibrosis
J T Lee
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:615-9. 2007
..fibrotic tissue, (2) masticatory muscle myotomy and coronoidotomy, and (3) reconstruction with a bipaddled radial forearm flap. Preoperative mouth opening was 0-5mm (mean 2.3mm)...
- Verification of the median-to-ulnar and ulnar-to-median nerve motor fiber anastomosis in the forearm: an electrophysiological study
Department of Neurology, School of Health Sciences, University of Crete, P O Box 1393, 71110, Heraklion, Greece
Clin Neurophysiol 114:94-8. 2003
To estimate the real occurrence of the motor median-to-ulnar nerve anastomosis in the proximal forearm (Martin-Gruber anastomosis, MGA), as its frequency varies between 6 and 44% in the literature and to investigate the incidence of the ..
- Wrist stabilisation and forearm muscle coactivation during freestyle swimming
Laboratoire de Modelisation des Activites Sportives, Universite de Savoie, France
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 17:285-91. 2007
..Factors affecting coactivations in elementary movements, e.g. intensity and instability of the load, accuracy and economy of the movement were confirmed in complex aquatic movement...
- The ultrasonographic wrist-to-forearm median nerve area ratio in carpal tunnel syndrome
Lisa D Hobson-Webb
Department of Medicine Division of Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, P O Box 3403, Clinic IL, Duke South Trent Drive, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1353-7. 2008
..Our objective is to collect data on the wrist-to-forearm ratio (WFR) of median nerve area in patients with CTS and healthy controls.
- Correlates of forearm bone mineral density in young Norwegian women: the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study
Gillian A Hawker
Division of Rheumatology, Women s College Ambulatory Care Centre, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 156:418-27. 2002
..The main objective of this study was to identify correlates of forearm BMD in young adult women...
- Tetrahydrobiopterin enhances forearm vascular response to acetylcholine in both normotensive and hypertensive individuals
First Department of Internal Medicine, Hiroshima University, Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Am J Hypertens 15:326-32. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to determine whether BH4 restores endothelium-dependent vasodilation in patients with essential hypertension...
- Enhanced sensory relearning after nerve repair by using repeated forearm anaesthesia: aspects on time dynamics of treatment
Department of Clinical Sciences Hand Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Neurochir Suppl 100:121-6. 2007
..In healthy individuals selective anaesthesia of the forearm results in improved hand sensation...
- Different patterns of excitation and inhibition of the small hand and forearm muscles from magnetic brain stimulation in humans
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 113:1286-94. 2002
..of voluntary muscle contraction of the small hand (abductor pollicis brevis, first dorsal interosseus (FDI)) and forearm muscles (extensor carpi radialis (ECR), extensor carpi ulnaris (ECU), flexor carpi radialis (FCR) and flexor ..
- Impaired endothelial function of forearm resistance arteries in CADASIL patients
Department of Medical Sciences, University and University Hospital of Uppsala, Sweden
Stroke 38:2692-7. 2007
..Mice expressing the mutated protein display early dysfunction in vasoreactivity in resistance arteries, but studies of patients have been inconclusive so far...
- External compression increases forearm perfusion
Rolf P Bochmann
Institute of Physiology, Tehcnical University of Dresden, Germany
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:2337-44. 2005
..Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that a positive external pressure increases forearm perfusion...
- Plasma ATP concentration and venous oxygen content in the forearm during dynamic handgrip exercise
Rachel E Wood
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation and School of Human Movement Studies, Queensland University of Technology, Queensland, Australia
BMC Physiol 9:24. 2009
..To determine whether ATP may contribute to the vasodilatory response to exercise in the forearm, we measured arterialised and venous plasma ATP concentration and venous oxygen content in 10 healthy young males ..
- Peripherally placed totally implantable venous-access port systems of the forearm: clinical experience in 763 consecutive patients
Jan P Goltz
Institute of Radiology, University of Wuerzburg, Oberduerrbacher Str 6, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 33:1159-67. 2010
..the effectiveness and safety of percutaneously placed totally implantable venous-access ports (TIVAPs) of the forearm. Between January 2006 and October 2008, peripheral TIVAPs were implanted in 763 consecutive patients by ..
- Molecular analysis of the prevalent microbiota of human male and female forehead skin compared to forearm skin and the influence of make-up
Division of Molecular Biology, Biocenter, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Appl Microbiol 110:1381-9. 2011
To compare the bacterial diversity of two different ecological regions including human forehead, human forearm and to estimate the influence of make-up.
- KATP channel activation induces ischemic preconditioning of the endothelium in humans in vivo
M W Broadhead
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Circulation 110:2077-82. 2004
..IPC may involve activation of ATP-sensitive potassium channels (K(ATP)). We determined whether modulation of K(ATP) channels occurs in endothelial IPC in humans...
- Reconstruction of the interosseous ligament of the forearm reduces load on the radial head in cadavers
Matthew M Tomaino
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Musculoskeletal Research Center, University of Pittsburgh Health System, USA
J Hand Surg Br 28:267-70. 2003
..head after fracture may be complicated by longitudinal radio-ulnar instability (Essex-Lopresti lesion) if the forearm interosseous ligament has also been torn...
- Effects of cadmium on forearm bone density after reduction of exposure for 10 years in a Chinese population
Institute of Radiation Medicine, Fudan University, 200032, Shanghai, China
Environ Int 35:1164-8. 2009
The main focus of this study was to evaluate long term effects of cadmium on forearm bone mineral density after stopping ingestion of cadmium-polluted rice for 10 years in a Chinese population...
- Flow-mediated dilation in human brachial artery after different circulatory occlusion conditions
Andrew C Betik
Cardiorespiratory and Vascular Dynamics Laboratory, Univ of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H442-8. 2004
..Reactive hyperemia was graded by 5-min occlusion distal to the measurement site at the wrist and the forearm and proximal to the site in the upper arm...
- Free radial forearm flap lip reconstruction: a clinical series and case reports of technical refinements
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Ann Plast Surg 62:361-7. 2009
..The age ranged from 15 to 67 years. Four patients underwent reconstruction by composite radial forearm flaps including both the cutaneous nerve of the forearm and the palmaris longus tendon...
- Vitamin C improves attenuated angiotensin II-induced endothelium-dependent vasodilation in human forearm vessels
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kyushu University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Fukuoka, Japan
Hypertens Res 26:953-9. 2003
..II attenuates endothelium-dependent vasodilation via an increase in superoxide anion production in human forearm vessels in vivo. Forearm blood flow was measured in 23 healthy young men...
- One-stage reconstruction of a defect of the oral commissure and of the cheek with a radial forearm free flap
From the Maxillofacial Surgery Department, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:1508-11. 2008
- Rhythmic movements are larger and faster but with the same frequency on removal of visual feedback
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheba, Israel
J Neurophysiol 106:2120-6. 2011
..We tested 39 young adults who performed flexion/extension movements of the forearm. We provided them with explicit knowledge of the amplitude and the speed of their movements, whereas frequency ..
- Effects of black race on forearm resistance vessel function
David F Kahn
Evans Department of Medicine and Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass, USA
Hypertension 40:195-201. 2002
..We examined forearm microvascular function in age-matched black (n=56) and white subjects (n=62) using intra-arterial agonist ..
- Myoelectric forearm prostheses: state of the art from a user-centered perspective
Control Engineering, University of Twente, The Netherlands
J Rehabil Res Dev 48:719-37. 2011
User acceptance of myoelectric forearm prostheses is currently low. Awkward control, lack of feedback, and difficult training are cited as primary reasons...
- Reconstruction of the interosseous membrane of the forearm with a graft substitute: a cadaveric study
Samir G Tejwani
Biomechanics Research Section, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 30:326-34. 2005
..occurs when traumatic axial loading through the wrist disrupts the interosseous membrane (IOM) of the forearm and fractures the radial head (Essex-Lopresti injury)...
- Blockade of nucleoside transport is required for delivery of intraarterial adenosine into the interstitium: relevance to therapeutic preconditioning in humans
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn 37212, USA
Circulation 108:2631-5. 2003
- Endothelial function in patients with migraine during the interictal period
Federico A Silva
Instituto de Investigaciones, Grupo de Ciencias Neurovasculares, Grupo de Investigación en Sistema Nervioso Autónomo, Fundacion Cardiovascular de Colombia, Floridablanca, Colombia
Headache 47:45-51. 2007
..The aim of this study is to evaluate endothelial function in migraineurs subjects during the asymptomatic period...
- Comparison of two plethysmography systems in assessment of forearm blood flow
Stephen J Leslie
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Research Centre, The University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK EH4 2XU
J Appl Physiol 96:1794-9. 2004
Venous occlusion plethysmography is widely used to assess forearm blood flow (FBF). We compared the established Hokanson system (HEC4) with a newly developed Filtrass 2001 system (F2001)...
- Influence of body composition, muscle strength, diet and physical activity on total body and forearm bone mass in Chinese adolescent girls
Leng Huat Foo
Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Br J Nutr 98:1281-7. 2007
..Total body and forearm bone, lean body mass (LBM) and fat body mass (FBM) were determined by dual X-ray absorptiometry...
- The effect of six keyboard designs on wrist and forearm postures
Ergonomics Program, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94804, USA
Appl Ergon 38:293-8. 2007
..In this laboratory study, the wrist and forearm postures of 100 subjects were measured with a motion analysis system while they typed on 6 different keyboard ..
- Magnesium infusion improves endothelium-dependent vasodilation in the human forearm
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences Geriatrics, Uppsala University, Sweden
Am J Hypertens 15:10-5. 2002
The effect of intra-arterial magnesium infusion on endothelium-dependent vasodilation (EDV) in the forearm was studied in nine young healthy students (four men and five women)...
- Impaired modulation of sympathetic alpha-adrenergic vasoconstriction in contracting forearm muscle of ageing men
Frank A Dinenno
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, 220 Moby B Complex, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1582, USA
J Physiol 567:311-21. 2005
..We measured forearm blood flow (FBF; Doppler ultrasound) and calculated the forearm vascular conductance (FVC) responses to alpha-..
- Rho-kinase inhibitor improves increased vascular resistance and impaired vasodilation of the forearm in patients with heart failure
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kyushu University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Circulation 111:2741-7. 2005
..The aim of the present study was to examine whether Rho-kinase is involved in the peripheral circulation abnormalities of HF in humans with the Rho-kinase inhibitor fasudil...
- Primary closure versus radial forearm flap reconstruction after hemiglossectomy: functional assessment of swallowing and speech
Hung Tao Hsiao
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, 92 Chung San North Road, Section 2, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Plast Surg 49:612-6. 2002
The authors compared the postoperative speech and swallowing function of six patients who underwent free radial forearm flap reconstruction after hemiglossectomy with that of six control patients who underwent primary closure of the ..
- Maintenance of above-branch balance during primate arboreal quadrupedalism: coordinated use of forearm rotators and tail motion
Susan G Larson
Department of Anatomical Sciences, Stony Brook University School of Medicine, New York 11794 8081, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 129:71-81. 2006
..Electromyographic (EMG) recordings of the forearm rotators pronator quadratus and supinator during over-ground and above-branch quadrupedal locomotion in five ..
- Simultaneous multi-depth assessment of tissue oxygen saturation in thenar and forearm using near-infrared spectroscopy during a simple cardiovascular challenge
Department of Translational Physiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Care 13:S5. 2009
- Comparison of three computer office workstations offering forearm support: impact on upper limb posture and muscle activation
Robert Sauvé Occupational Health and Safety Research Institute IRSST Canada, Montreal, Quebec H3A 3C2, Canada
Ergonomics 49:139-60. 2006
..The new exposure variation analysis summary parameters used were sensitive to small workstation changes, thus supporting their use in future studies...
- The effect of a new topical local anaesthetic delivery system on forearm skin blood flow reactivity
M D Wiles
University Department of Anaesthesia, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Anaesthesia 65:178-83. 2010
..Blood flow and vascular reactivity in the forearm skin were assessed by laser Doppler flowmetry and the transient hyperaemic response ratio respectively, before ..
- Nerve transfers in the forearm and hand
Justin M Brown
Department of Neurological Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8057, St Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Hand Clin 24:319-40, v. 2008
In the forearm, vital and expendable functions have been identified, and tendon transfers use these conventions to maximize function and minimize disability...
- Effects of forearm rotation on the clinical evaluation of ulnar variance
G L Yeh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:1042-6. 2001
..of the wrist are recommended to standardize the measurement of ulnar variance because it is known that changes in forearm rotation result in changes of this measurement...
- Assessment of forearm vasodilator responses to acetylcholine and albuterol by strain gauge plethysmography: reproducibility and influence of strain gauge placement
H A Walker
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Centre for Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, King's College, London
Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:225-9. 2001
AIMS: To determine the within-subject reproducibility of the forearm blood flow response to acetylcholine and the beta2-adrenoceptor agonist albuterol as measured by strain gauge plethysmography...
- Giant-cell tumor of the distal forearm
Neil G Harness
Orthopaedic Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Hand Surg Am 29:188-93. 2004
Many authorities express concern that giant-cell tumors of the distal forearm are more frequently recurrent and difficult to treat chiefly because of the proximity to the carpus and the resultant diminished range of motion in the hand ..
- Vitamin D status affects serum parathyroid hormone concentrations during winter in female adolescents: associations with forearm bone mineral density
T A Outila
Calcium Research Unit, the Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 74:206-10. 2001
..b>Forearm BMD at radial and ulnar sites was measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry...
- Females have lower skin surface pH than men. A study on the surface of gender, forearm site variation, right/left difference and time of the day on the skin surface pH
University of Copenhagen, School of Medicine, Denmark
Skin Res Technol 7:90-4. 2001
..Skin surface pH is considered a critical parameter of skin wellbeing and is typically studied on the forearm skin. Despite many previous investigations, this is an extensive field that still needs a great deal of research...
- Reconstruction of the interosseous membrane of the forearm in cadavers
J R Skahen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Health Science Center, Syracuse 13210, USA
J Hand Surg Am 22:986-94. 1997
The biomechanical function of the interosseous membrane of the forearm was examined in 12 fresh cadaver forearms...
- Endothelial dysfunction in young patients with long-term rheumatoid arthritis and low disease activity
Medizinische Klinik III Rheumatology, Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus der technischen Universität Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Atherosclerosis 170:177-80. 2003
..Furthermore, we tested whether etanercept (ENC), a TNF-alpha receptor blocker, resulted in improved endothelial function compared to MTX in the same patients...
- Longitudinal changes in forearm bone mineral density in women and men aged 25-44 years: the Tromsø study: a population-based study
Institute of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Am J Epidemiol 162:633-43. 2005
..BMD was measured twice at distal and ultradistal forearm sites by single x-ray absorptiometry in 258 women and 147 men (mean follow-up time, 6.4 (standard deviation, 0...
- Marked impairment of protease-activated receptor type 1-mediated vasodilation and fibrinolysis in cigarette smokers: smoking, thrombin, and vascular responses in vivo
Ninian N Lang
Centre for Cardiovascular Science, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:33-9. 2008
..We sought to test the hypothesis that cigarette smoking adversely alters protease-activated receptor type 1 (PAR-1)-mediated vascular effects in vivo in humans...
- Forearm cephalic vein cross-sectional area changes at incremental congestion pressures: towards a standardized and reproducible vein mapping protocol
R Nils Planken
Department of Vascular Surgery, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 44:353-8. 2006
Duplex ultrasonography assessment of superficial forearm veins is frequently used before a hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula (AVF) is created. There is, however, no standardized preoperative duplex ultrasonography protocol...
- Effects of atorvastatin and vitamin C on forearm hyperaemic blood flow, asymmentrical dimethylarginine levels and the inflammatory process in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Heart 93:244-6. 2007
- The vascular effects of rotigaptide in vivo in man
Ninian N Lang
Centre for Cardiovascular Science, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Biochem Pharmacol 76:1194-200. 2008
..Using venous occlusion plethysmography, forearm blood flow was measured in 27 healthy volunteers during intra-brachial infusions of rotigaptide (0...
- Aging is associated with reduced prostacyclin-mediated dilation in the human forearm
Wayne T Nicholson
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hypertension 53:973-8. 2009
..Using plethysmography to determine forearm blood flow, we studied the effect of PGI(2) in 10 older (61 to 73 years) and 10 younger (19 to 45 years) subjects ..
- Diesel exhaust inhalation causes vascular dysfunction and impaired endogenous fibrinolysis
Nicholas L Mills
Centre for Cardiovascular Science, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland
Circulation 112:3930-6. 2005
..The study aim was to investigate the effects of diesel exhaust inhalation on vascular and endothelial function in humans...
- Composite anterolateral thigh-fascia lata flap: a good alternative to radial forearm-palmaris longus flap for total lower lip reconstruction
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kartal Dr Lütfü Kirdar Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2033-41. 2006
..The authors describe reconstruction of total lower lip and larger full-thickness defects including the cheek and commissure by means of a composite anterolateral thigh-fascia lata free flap...
- Prognostic significance of endothelial dysfunction in hypertensive patients
Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases Unit, Department of Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica G Salvatore, University of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Catanzaro, Italy
Circulation 104:191-6. 2001
b>Forearm endothelial dysfunction, characterized by an impaired vasodilating response to acetylcholine (ACh), may be associated with several cardiovascular risk factors, including essential hypertension...
- Oral therapy with dipyridamole limits ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans
Niels P Riksen
Department of Pharmacology Toxicology, Radbound University Nijmegen Medical Center, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Clin Pharmacol Ther 78:52-9. 2005
..We hypothesize that treatment with the nucleoside uptake inhibitor dipyridamole increases endogenous adenosine and limits ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans...
- Analysis of the functional muscle-bone unit of the forearm in pediatric renal transplant recipients
Eva Maria Rüth
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, and Department of Pediatric Radiology, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Kidney Int 66:1694-706. 2004
..In addition, we investigated the muscle-bone relationship in these patients because under physiologic conditions bone strength continually adapts to increasing mechanical loads, that is, muscle force...
- Differential distribution of coherence between beta-band subthalamic oscillations and forearm muscles in Parkinson's disease during isometric contraction
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 120:1601-9. 2009
..However, the beta-band coupling between STN and muscle activity, its distribution and relation to motor symptoms remains unclear...
- Basal production of nitric oxide (NO) and non-NO vasodilators in the forearm microcirculation in Type 2 diabetes: associations with blood pressure and HDL cholesterol
Richard J Woodman
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 71:59-67. 2006
We examined basal forearm microcirculatory blood flow (FBF) using venous occlusive strain-gauge plethysmography in 47 middle-aged men and women [55+/-1 years] with Type 2 diabetes and 15 age-matched healthy individuals [52+/-3 years], ..
- The effect of dorsally angulated distal radius fractures on distal radioulnar joint congruency and forearm rotation
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Health Science Center, Syracuse 13210, USA
J Hand Surg Am 21:40-7. 1996
..These results reveal the importance of anatomic reduction of the distal radius fracture and evaluation of damaged soft tissue structures...
- Preliminary soft tissue distraction in congenital forearm deficiency
A A Smith
Division of Plastic Surgery, Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
J Hand Surg Am 20:420-4. 1995
..The patient's ages ranged from 6 months to 14 years. Forearm deficiencies treated included partial absence of the radius (one patient), radial aplasia (two patients, three ..
- Use of homologous bone graft in the treatment of aseptic forearm nonunion
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, University of Bologna, Via G C Pupilli 1, 40136 Bologna, Italy
Musculoskelet Surg 95:31-5. 2011
The dyaphyseal nonunion of forearm bones is a complication that changes the normal interaction between radius and ulna, which may lead to forearm malfunction...
- Steroid- and ATG-resistant rejection after double forearm transplantation responds to Campath-1H
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, Innsbruck Univerity Hospital, Austria
Am J Transplant 4:1372-4. 2004
We herein report on immunological and histological observations in the first bilateral forearm transplant recipient...
- Effects of intradermal foot and forearm capsaicin injections in normal and vulvodynia-afflicted women
David C Foster
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Anaesthesia, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Pain 117:128-36. 2005
..This study compared the response to intradermal capsaicin in the forearm and foot of vulvar vestibulitis (vestibulodynia)-afflicted cases and controls...
- Effects of aging, menopause, and hormone replacement therapy on forearm skin elasticity in women
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:945-9. 2004
..To investigate the decline per year in skin elasticity in postmenopausal women and how much hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increased elasticity over 12 months...
- Electrophysiological study of forearm sensory fiber crossover in Martin-Gruber anastomosis
Division of Neurology, E O Ospedali Galliera, Mura delle Cappuccine 14, 16128 Genoa, Italy
Muscle Nerve 24:380-6. 2001
Although anatomical studies have shown that a crossover of sensory fibers is not rare in forearm Martin-Gruber median-ulnar anastomosis (MGA), it has been electrophysiologically described only in rare subjects...
- First forearm transplantation: outcome at 3 years
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Am J Transplant 7:1753-62. 2007
..on the surgical procedure, postoperative course and functional results at 3 years following the first bilateral forearm transplantation. A 41-year-old male underwent bilateral forearm transplantation on February 17, 2003...
- Single-injection brachial plexus anesthesia for arteriovenous fistula surgery of the forearm: a comparison of infraclavicular coracoid and axillary approach
Tomi T Niemi
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:55-9. 2007
The surgical site for the creation of an arteriovenous fistula at the lateral aspect of the distal forearm may be faster and more effectively blocked with the infraclavicular coracoid approach than with the axillary approach for brachial ..
- Excitability changes in human corticospinal projections to forearm muscles during voluntary movement of ipsilateral foot
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana II, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 32, I 20133 Milan, Italy
J Physiol 539:903-11. 2002
..suggest that the reflex modulation may depend on activity fluctuations in the cortical motor area innervating the forearm motoneurones...
- Native forearm fistulas utilizing the basilic vein: an underused type of vascular access
Department of Nephrology and Transplantation Medicine, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
J Nephrol 21:363-7. 2008
Arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs) are the solution of choice among diverse types of vascular access. The forearm basilic vein is rarely used for creating autogenous vascular access...
- Accessory extensor carpi radialis brevis muscle, a pseudomass of the distal forearm: ultrasound and MR appearances -case report and literature review
Department of Clinical Radiology, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, UK
Clin Radiol 61:442-5. 2006
- Extra- and intramuscular nerve distribution patterns of the muscles of the ventral compartment of the forearm
Sung Yoon Won
Department of Oral Biology, Oral Science Research Center, Yonsei University College of Dentistry School of Dentistry, Seoul, Korea
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 89:644-52. 2010
This study describes the extra- and intramuscular nerve branching of muscles of the ventral compartment of forearm, thereby providing critical information on determining the points for botulinum toxin injections that would be effective ..
- Primary arteriovenous fistulas in the forearm for hemodialysis: effect of miscellaneous factors in fistula patency
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Atattürk University Medical Faculty, Erzurum, Turkey
Ren Fail 28:275-81. 2006
..We examined the effects of various factors on fistulas in 412 chronic renal insufficiency patients...
- Precision of measurements of physical workload during standardised manual handling. Part I: surface electromyography of m. trapezius, m. infraspinatus and the forearm extensors
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:443-54. 2004
..EMG was recorded from m. trapezius, m. infraspinatus and the forearm extensors. Normalisation was made to a maximal (MVE), and a submaximal (RVE), reference contraction...
- Modern imaging of the hand, wrist, and forearm
Capio Diagnostics Europe, Stockholm, Sweden
J Hand Ther 20:119-30, quiz 131. 2007
..state of the relevant diagnostic imaging technologies and methods and their clinical application in imaging common conditions of the hand, wrist, and forearm is presented. Evolving and future imaging technologies are also considered.
- Plasma nitrite reserve and endothelial function in the human forearm circulation
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Aachen, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 41:295-301. 2006
..We hypothesized that local plasma nitrite concentration increases during reactive hyperemia of the forearm, reflecting endothelial function...
- Tubular repair of the median or ulnar nerve in the human forearm: a 5-year follow-up
Department of Hand Surgery, University Hospital MAS, Malmo, Sweden, and the Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Lund University, Sweden
J Hand Surg Br 29:100-7. 2004
..a clinical randomized prospective study, comprising 30 patients with median or ulnar nerve injuries in the distal forearm. Postoperatively, the patients underwent neurophysiological and clinical assessments of sensory and motor ..
- Height loss, forearm bone density and bone loss in menopausal women: a 15-year prospective study. The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study, Norway
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Osteoporos Int 18:1261-9. 2007
..5 years, 71% of the women had lost height. Height loss was associated with low forearm bone density and increased bone loss, but high body weight and oestrogen therapy were protective factors...