Genomes and Genes
Summary: The projecting part on each side of the body, formed by the side of the pelvis and the top portion of the femur.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Protective effects of fish intake and interactive effects of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid intakes on hip bone mineral density in older adults: the Framingham Osteoporosis StudyEmily K Farina
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 93:1142-51. 2011..Polyunsaturated fatty acids and fish may influence bone health...
- Validity, reliability and responsiveness of patient-reported outcome questionnaires when assessing hip and groin disability: a systematic reviewK Thorborg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Amager Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Italiensvej 1, 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
Br J Sports Med 44:1186-96. 2010Novel treatment interventions are advancing rapidly in the management of hip and groin disability in the physically active young to middle-aged population.
- The effect of disease site (knee, hip, hand, foot, lower back or neck) on employment reduction due to osteoarthritisEric C Sayre
Arthritis Research Centre of Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e10470. 2010Osteoarthritis (OA) has a significant impact on individuals' ability to work. Our goal was to investigate the effects of the site of OA (knee, hip, hand, foot, lower back or neck) on employment reduction due to OA (EROA).
- Clinical assessment of hip strength using a hand-held dynamometer is reliableK Thorborg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Amager Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Med Sci Sports 20:493-501. 2010b>Hip strength assessment plays an important role in the clinical examination of the hip and groin region...
- Hip velocity and arm coordination in front crawl swimmingC Schnitzler
Faculty of Sport Science from Rouen, Laboratory CETAPS UPRES EA 3832, University of Rouen, Faculty of Sports Sciences France, Mont Saint Aignan, France
Int J Sports Med 31:875-81. 2010The hip intracyclic velocity variability and the index of coordination in front crawl swimming were examined in relation to performance level...
- Hip disability and osteoarthritis outcome score (HOOS)--validity and responsiveness in total hip replacementAnna K Nilsdotter
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 4:10. 2003..with a younger population were of importance for an older population, and to construct an outcome measure for hip osteoarthritis with improved responsiveness compared to the Western Ontario McMaster osteoarthritis score (WOMAC LK ..
- Hip Hip Hurrah! Hip size inversely related to heart disease and total mortalityB L Heitmann
Research Unit for Dietary Studies, Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen K, Denmark
Obes Rev 12:478-81. 2011During the past decade a series of published reports have examined the value of studying the relation between hip circumferences and cardiovascular end points...
- Variant alleles of the Wnt antagonist FRZB are determinants of hip shape and modify the relationship between hip shape and osteoarthritisJulie C Baker-Lepain
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:1457-65. 2012To test whether single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of the FRZB gene are associated with hip shape, and to determine whether FRZB variant alleles affect the relationship between hip shape and radiographic osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip.
- Validity of hip-mounted uniaxial accelerometry with heart-rate monitoring vs. triaxial accelerometry in the assessment of free-living energy expenditure in young children: the IDEFICS Validation StudyRobert Ojiambo
College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
J Appl Physiol (1985) 113:1530-6. 2012..38 to 0.57 MJ/day or 24-26% of the average AEE. It is concluded that the comparative validity of hip-mounted uniaxial and triaxial accelerometers for assessing PA and EE is similar.
- Changes in regional activity of the psoas major and quadratus lumborum with voluntary trunk and hip tasks and different spinal curvatures in sittingRachel J Park
The University of Queensland, NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Spinal Pain, Injury and Health, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 43:74-82. 2013..Cross-sectional controlled laboratory study...
- Realistic loads for testing hip implantsG Bergmann
Julius Wolff Institut, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Biomed Mater Eng 20:65-75. 2010The aim here was to define realistic load conditions for hip implants, based on in vivo contact force measurements, and to see whether current ISO standards indeed simulate real loads...
- Gender differences in lower extremity kinematics, kinetics and energy absorption during landingMichael J Decker
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 18:662-9. 2003..To determine whether gender differences exist in lower extremity joint motions and energy absorption landing strategies between age and skill matched recreational athletes...
- Hip bone density predicts breast cancer risk independently of Gail score: results from the Women's Health InitiativeZhao Chen
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Arizona College of Public Health, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5211, USA
Cancer 113:907-15. 2008..The objective of the current study was to investigate whether hip BMD predicts postmenopausal breast cancer risk independently of the Gail score.
- Association of hip circumference with incident diabetes and coronary heart disease: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities studyEmily D Parker
HealthPartners Research Foundation, 8170 33rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55406 1524, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:837-47. 2009When waist circumference is taken into account, larger hip circumference is associated with reduced risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease...
- Hip muscle weakness in individuals with medial knee osteoarthritisRana S Hinman
University of Melbourne, Australia
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1190-3. 2010To compare the strength of the hip musculature in people with symptomatic medial knee osteoarthritis (OA) with asymptomatic controls.
- Anesthesia and postoperative delirium in older adults undergoing hip surgeryChantal J Slor
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Medical Center Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1313-9. 2011To examine the effects of general anesthesia on the risk of incident postoperative delirium in older adults undergoing hip surgery.
- DXA-based hip structural analysis of once-weekly bisphosphonate-treated postmenopausal women with low bone massS L Bonnick
Clinical Research Center of North Texas, 2921 Country Club Road, Ste 101, Denton, TX 76210, USA
Osteoporos Int 20:911-21. 2009DXA-based hip structural analysis from 947 individuals completing two large osteoporosis clinical trials was pooled and analyzed...
- Relationship of changes in total hip bone mineral density to vertebral and nonvertebral fracture risk in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis treated with once-yearly zoledronic acid 5 mg: the HORIZON-Pivotal Fracture Trial (PFT)Richard M Jacques
School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Bone Miner Res 27:1627-34. 2012..The percentage of treatment effect explained by change in total hip BMD was estimated using the alternative year-on-year approach and the standard approach of looking at change over 3 ..
- Heterogeneity in rate of decline in grip, hip, and knee strength and the risk of all-cause mortality: the Women's Health and Aging Study IIQian Li Xue
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:2076-84. 2010..To assess the relationship between rate of change in muscle strength and all-cause mortality...
- Weight loss in obese older adults increases serum sclerostin and impairs hip geometry but both are prevented by exercise trainingReina Armamento-Villareal
Division of Geriatrics, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:1215-21. 2012..the study was to determine the effect of lifestyle intervention in obese older adults on sclerostin levels, and on hip geometry parameters...
- Sex steroid hormones in older men: longitudinal associations with 4.5-year change in hip bone mineral density--the osteoporotic fractures in men studyJane A Cauley
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Epidemiology, 130 DeSoto Street, Crabtree A524, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4314-23. 2010..There is limited information on the association between sex hormones and bone loss in older men...
- Walking with increased ankle pushoff decreases hip muscle momentsCARA L LEWIS
Division of Kinesiology, University of Michigan, 401 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2214, USA
J Biomech 41:2082-9. 2008..walking model, an impulsive push along the trailing limb (similar to ankle plantar flexion) or a torque at the hip can power level walking. This suggests a tradeoff between ankle and hip muscle requirements during human gait...
- Axial hypertonicity in Parkinson's disease: direct measurements of trunk and hip torqueW G Wright
Neurological Sciences Institute, Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, 505 NW 185th Ave, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Exp Neurol 208:38-46. 2007..Feet were rotated relative to fixed hips (Hip Tone) or feet and hips were rotated relative to fixed shoulders (Trunk Tone)...
- Divergent patterns of integration and reduced constraint in the human hip and the origins of bipedalismMark W Grabowski
Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Evolution 65:1336-56. 2011..Here, we show that the human hip bone has significantly lower levels of integration and constraint overall when compared to other hominids, that the ..
- Early cartilage degeneration in a rat experimental model of developmental dysplasia of the hipNing Bo
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic, Children s Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Connect Tissue Res 53:513-20. 2012Osteoarthritis (OA) is a common long-term complication of developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) that is associated with a higher incidence of OA...
- The prevalence of acetabular retroversion among various disorders of the hipMasamitsu Ezoe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Jyonan ku, Fukuoka 814 0180, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:372-9. 2006..Theoretically, a retroverted acetabulum, which adversely affects load transmission across the hip, may occur more frequently in hips with degenerative arthritis...
- Effect of hip and ankle muscle fatigue on unipedal postural controlPhillip A Gribble
ATC, Mailstop 119, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:641-6. 2004..The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of fatigue at the hip and ankle during frontal plane movements on postural control during single-leg stance...
- Characterization of metal-wear nanoparticles in pseudotumor following metal-on-metal hip resurfacingZhidao Xia
Centre for Nanohealth, School of Medicine, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, United Kingdom
Nanomedicine 7:674-81. 2011Biopsies from a typical case of pseudotumor following metal-on-metal hip resurfacing (MoMHR) were analyzed using light and transmission electron microscopy, backscatter scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive x-ray ..
- Hip- and thigh-muscle activation during the star excursion balance testBeth Norris
Select Physical Therapy, Clarksville, TN, USA
J Sport Rehabil 20:428-41. 2011The Star Excursion Balance Test (SEBT) is often used to train and assess dynamic balance and neuromuscular control. Few studies have examined hip- and thigh-muscle activation during the SEBT.
- Corticospinal responses of quadriceps are abnormally coupled with hip adductors in chronic stroke survivorsChandramouli Krishnan
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Exp Neurol 233:400-7. 2012..For instance, many stroke subjects exhibit unwanted secondary knee extension movement when performing hip adduction...
- Hip abductor strengths after total hip arthroplasty via the lateral and posterolateral approachesTakahiko Kiyama
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Jonan ku, Fukuoka, Japan
J Arthroplasty 25:76-80. 2010A retrospective control study was carried out to compare the postoperative hip abductor strengths after primary total hip arthroplasties via the lateral (lateral group; 38 hips) and posterolateral (posterior group; 40 hips) approaches...
- Hip abductor strength following total hip arthroplasty: a prospective comparison of the posterior and lateral approach in 100 patientsN D Downing
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Acta Orthop Scand 72:215-20. 2001We studied the hip abductor strength and Trendelenburg test prospectively in 100 patients undergoing total hip replacement via a lateral or posterior approach...
- Hip posterolateral musculature strengthening in sedentary women with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized controlled clinical trial with 1-year follow-upThiago Yukio Fukuda
Department of Physical Therapy, Irmandade da Santa Casa de Misericórdia de São Paulo ISCMSP, Centro Universitário SãoCamilo CUSC, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 42:823-30. 2012..Randomized controlled trial...
- Hip bone loss is attenuated with 1000 IU but not 400 IU daily vitamin D3: a 1-year double-blind RCT in postmenopausal womenHelen M Macdonald
School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
J Bone Miner Res 28:2202-13. 2013..Mean BMD loss at the hip was significantly less for the 1000 IU vitamin D group (0.05% ± 1...
- Validation of a 3-dimensional laser body scanner for assessment of waist and hip circumferenceM Reese Pepper
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station, A2703, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 29:179-88. 2010To evaluate the reliability and validity of a 3-dimensional laser body scanner for estimation of waist and hip circumferences and waist:hip ratio.
- Serum phosphate and hip bone mineral density as additional factors for high vascular calcification scores in a community-dwelling: the São Paulo Ageing & Health Study (SPAH)Camille P Figueiredo
Bone Metabolism Laboratory, Rheumatology Division, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Bone 52:354-9. 2013..To analyze the association between abdominal aortic calcification scores (AACS) and bone metabolism parameters in a well-characterized general population of older adults...
- Comparison of the angles and corresponding moments in the knee and hip during restricted and unrestricted squatsSilvio Lorenzetti
Institute for Biomechanics, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Strength Cond Res 26:2829-36. 2012The aim of this study was to compare the angles and corresponding moments in the knee and hip during squats. Twenty subjects performed restricted and unrestricted squats with barbell loads that were 0, ¼, and ½ their body weight...
- Prevalence of self-reported pain, joint complaints and knee or hip complaints in adults aged ≥ 40 years: a cross-sectional survey in Herne, GermanyUlrich Thiem
Department of Geriatrics, University of Bochum, Marienhospital Herne, Herne, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e60753. 2013..Despite their epidemiological, clinical and health economic importance, prevalence data on pain and musculoskeletal complaints for Germany are scarce...
- Kinematics of rising from a chair: image-based analysis of the sagittal hip-spine movement pattern in elderly people who are healthyMohammad R Fotoohabadi
Education Development Office, Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Fars, Iran
Phys Ther 90:561-71. 2010..Rehabilitation of elderly patients with sit-to-stand (STS) dysfunction includes retraining coordinated movement among participating body segments. Although trunk position is considered important, spinal movement has not been measured...
- Determinants of the first decade of bone loss after menopause at spine, hip and radiusJ Reeve
University of Cambridge Department of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, UK
QJM 92:261-73. 1999..Individual rates of bone loss were calculated for the spine and hip; for radial trabecular bone, rates were calculated separately for two time periods, earlier and later after ..
- Copy number variation in CNP267 region may be associated with hip bone sizeShan lin Liu
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics and the Key Laboratory of Protein Chemistry and Developmental Biology of Ministry of Education, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e22035. 2011Osteoporotic hip fracture (HF) is a serious global public health problem associated with high morbidity and mortality...
- The effect of type of hip protector and resident characteristics on adherence to use of hip protectors in nursing and residential homes--an exploratory studyPeter D O'Halloran
Queen s University Belfast, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Medical Biology Centre, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Int J Nurs Stud 42:387-97. 2005To investigate the factors influencing the acceptability of hip protectors to residents of nursing and residential homes, especially the effect of hip protector type, and resident characteristics.
- Dual X-ray absorptiometry T-score concordance and discordance between the hip and spine measurement sitesG Woodson
The Atlanta Research Center, Department of Medicine, Emory School of Medicine, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Clin Densitom 3:319-24. 2000T-score discordance is observed when the difference between the hip and spine are sufficient to result in the two measurement sites falling into two different diagnoses as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) classification ..
- A simple method of computing hip axis length using fan-beam densitometry and anthropometric measurementsJ T Young
Division of Geriatrics, UCLA School of Medicine, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1687, USA
J Clin Densitom 3:325-31. 2000b>Hip axis length (HAL), a simple measure obtained from dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scans of the proximal femur, predicts hip fracture, independent of bone mineral density and age...
- Evaluating the responsiveness of the ICOAP following hip or knee replacementA M Davis
Division of Health Care and Outcomes Research, Toronto Western Research Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18:1043-5. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the responsiveness of the ICOAP, and different pain constructs in primary total hip (THR) and total knee (TKR) replacement.
- The prevalence of significant left-right differences in hip bone mineral densityR Hamdy
Osteoporosis Center, College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University and VAMC, Johnson City, TN, USA
Osteoporos Int 17:1772-80. 2006We determined the prevalence of left-right differences in hip bone mineral density (BMD) by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and the resultant consequence, namely: the frequency at which patients would be classified differently if ..
- Genetic evaluation of the nine component features of hip score in UK Labrador RetrieversThomas W Lewis
Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust, Animal Health Trust, Newmarket, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e13610. 2010..genetic relationship between the nine component traits comprising the British Veterinary Association (BVA) total hip score in UK registered Labrador Retrievers...
- Active shape modeling of the hip in the prediction of incident hip fractureJulie C Baker-Lepain
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:468-74. 2011The objective of this study was to evaluate right proximal femur shape as a risk factor for incident hip fracture using active shape modeling (ASM)...
- Acute effect of static and dynamic stretching on hip dynamic range of motion during instep kicking in professional soccer playersMohammadtaghi Amiri-Khorasani
Department of Exercise Science, Sport Center, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Strength Cond Res 25:1647-52. 2011..purpose of this study was to examine the effects of static and dynamic stretching within a pre-exercise warm-up on hip dynamic range of motion (DROM) during instep kicking in professional soccer players...
- Botulinum toxin type A injections can be an effective treatment for pain in children with hip spasms and cerebral palsyClaire T Lundy
Evelina Children s Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London, UK
Dev Med Child Neurol 51:705-10. 2009..Anecdotal evidence suggests a reduction in pain after this treatment in children who had pain localized to a displaced hip joint. We report on our current clinical practice.
- Association of a single nucleotide polymorphism in growth differentiate factor 5 with congenital dysplasia of the hip: a case-control studyJin Dai
The Center of Diagnosis and Treatment for Joint Disease, Drum Tower Hospital Affiliated to Medical School of Nanjing University, Nanjing 210008, Jiangsu, PR China
Arthritis Res Ther 10:R126. 2008Congenital dysplasia of the hip is an abnormal seating of the femoral head in the acetabulum, mainly caused by shallow acetabulum and lax joint capsule...
- Prolonged thromboprophylaxis following hip replacement surgery--results of a double-blind, prospective, randomised, placebo-controlled study with dalteparin (Fragmin)O E Dahl
Department of Orthopaedics, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Thromb Haemost 77:26-31. 1997..This study shows that prolonged thromboprophylaxis with dalteparin. 5000 IU, once daily for 35 days significantly reduces the frequency of DVT and should be recommended for 5 weeks after hip replacement surgery.
- The decline in hip bone density after gastric bypass surgery is associated with extent of weight lossJ Fleischer
Division of Endocrinology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3735-40. 2008..Bariatric surgery is common and may be associated with deleterious effects on the skeleton...
- Prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis in Korea: a community-based cohort study with lumbar spine and hip bone mineral densityChan Soo Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Bone 47:378-87. 2010..To investigate bone mineral density (BMD) profiles, osteoporosis prevalence and risk factors in a community-based cohort in Korea...
- Four-month treatment with GLP-2 significantly increases hip BMD: a randomized, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging study in postmenopausal women with low BMDDennis B Henriksen
Sanos Bioscience, Lersoe Parkallé 42, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Bone 45:833-42. 2009..Treatment with GLP-2 resulted in a significant dose-dependent increase in total hip BMD over the course of the study that for the 3.2 mg GLP-2 group reached 1.1% (P=0.007) from baseline...
- European bone mineral density loci are also associated with BMD in East-Asian populationsUnnur Styrkarsdottir
deCODE Genetics, Reykjavik, Iceland
PLoS ONE 5:e13217. 2010..0010) and 17q21 (SOST, P = 0.015). Our study marks an early effort towards the challenge of cataloguing bone density variants shared by many ethnicities by testing BMD variants that have been established in Europeans, in East-Asians...
- Hip-spine relationship: a radio-anatomical study for optimization in acetabular cup positioningJ Y Lazennec
Service de Chirurgie Orthopedique et Traumatologique, Université Paris VI Hôpital de la Pitié Salpétrière, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, Cedex 13 Paris, France
Surg Radiol Anat 26:136-44. 2004The criteria for acetabular cup positioning during total hip replacement are a matter of considerable discussion, particularly with regards to the optimal degree of anteversion...
- dGEMRIC and subsequent T1 mapping of the hip at 1.5 Tesla: normative data on zonal and radial distribution in asymptomatic volunteersBernd Bittersohl
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Magn Reson Imaging 34:101-6. 2011To characterize the zonal distribution of three-dimensional (3D) T1 mapping in the hip joint of asymptomatic adult volunteers.
- Estimation of daily energy expenditure in pregnant and non-pregnant women using a wrist-worn tri-axial accelerometerVincent T van Hees
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e22922. 2011..PAEE is commonly estimated with accelerometers attached to the hip or waist, but little is known about the validity and participant acceptability of wrist attachment...
- The effects of adding mass to the legs on the energetics and biomechanics of walkingRaymond C Browning
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80262, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:515-25. 2007....
- Eccentric hip muscle function in females with and without patellofemoral pain syndromeRodrigo de Marche Baldon
São Carlos Federal University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Athl Train 44:490-6. 2009..Recently, researchers have indicated that factors proximal to the knee, including hip muscle weakness and motor control impairment, contribute to the development of PFPS...
- Testosterone treatment in elderly men with subnormal testosterone levels improves body composition and BMD in the hipJ Svartberg
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Int J Impot Res 20:378-87. 2008..Bone mineral density in the hip was significantly higher after the testosterone treatment...
- Transmissibility of 15-hertz to 35-hertz vibrations to the human hip and lumbar spine: determining the physiologic feasibility of delivering low-level anabolic mechanical stimuli to skeletal regions at greatest risk of fracture because of osteoporosisClinton Rubin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2580, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2621-7. 2003..Experiments were undertaken to determine the degree to which high-frequency (15-35 Hz) ground-based, whole-body vibration are transmitted to the proximal femur and lumbar vertebrae of the standing human...
- Larger thigh and hip circumferences are associated with better glucose tolerance: the Hoorn studyMarieke B Snijder
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Obes Res 11:104-11. 2003A higher waist-to-hip ratio, which can be due to a higher waist circumference, a lower hip circumference, or both, is associated with higher glucose levels and incident diabetes...
- Physical activity and femoral neck bone strength during childhood: the Iowa Bone Development StudyKathleen F Janz
Department of Health and Sport Studies, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Bone 41:216-22. 2007..6 years of growth (age range 4 to 12 years), we investigated associations between everyday physical activity and hip geometry in a cohort of healthy Midwestern children (n=468)...
- Estimation of energy expenditure using CSA accelerometers at hip and wrist sitesA M Swartz
Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:S450-6. 2000This study was designed to establish prediction models that relate hip and wrist accelerometer data to energy expenditure (EE) in field and laboratory settings...
- Narrow hips and broad waist circumferences independently contribute to increased risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitusJ C Seidell
Department for Chronic Diseases and Environmental Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Intern Med 242:401-6. 1997..In this study, we tried to dissociate obesity, waist and hip circumference from NIDDM.
- Investigation of sex differences in hip structure in peripubertal childrenAdrian Sayers
Academic Rheumatology, Clinical Science at North Bristol, University of Bristol, and Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol BS10 5NB, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3876-83. 2010There is evidence that sex differences in hip structure are increased during puberty, possibly as a consequence of associated changes in body composition.
- Analysis of lumbar spine and hip motion during forward bending in subjects with and without a history of low back painM A Esola
Physical Therapy and Sport Services, Moorestown, New Jersey, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:71-8. 1996..OBJECTIVE: The purposes of this study were to establish the amount and pattern of lumbar spine and hip motion during forward bending, and determine differences in motion in subjects with and without a history of low ..
- Genetic evaluation of hip score in UK Labrador RetrieversThomas W Lewis
Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust, Animal Health Trust, Newmarket, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e12797. 2010b>Hip dysplasia is an important and complex genetic disease in dogs with both genetic and environmental influences...
- Effect of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intakeLanding M A Jarjou
Medical Research Council Keneba, Keneba, The Gambia
Am J Clin Nutr 92:450-7. 2010..Mobilization of maternal bone mineral partly supplies calcium for fetal and neonatal bone growth and development...
- Hip strength and hip and knee kinematics during stair descent in females with and without patellofemoral pain syndromeLori A Bolgla
Medical College of Georgia, School of Allied Health Sciences, Department of Physical Therapy, Augusta, GA, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 38:12-8. 2008..Cross-sectional...
- Bone mineral density response to caloric restriction-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss: a randomized controlled trialDennis T Villareal
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Sciences, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:2502-10. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that EX-induced weight loss is associated with less bone loss compared with CR-induced weight loss...
- Does the hip reflect the centre of mass swimming kinematics?P Figueiredo
University of Porto, Faculty of Sport, Centre of Research, Education, Innovation and Intervention in Sport, Porto, Portugal
Int J Sports Med 30:779-81. 2009The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between the hip point and the centre of mass for kinematical parameters (displacement, velocity and acceleration) in the three axes of motion...
- Three-dimensional computed tomography of the hip in the assessment of femoroacetabular impingementPaul E Beaule
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 1250 16th Street Suite 745, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Orthop Res 23:1286-92. 2005..Three-dimensional computed tomography represents an accurate tool to quantify the femoral head-neck concavity providing a non-invasive assessment of hips at risk of femoroacetabular impingement...
- Continuous psoas compartment block for postoperative analgesia after total hip arthroplasty: new landmarks, technical guidelines, and clinical evaluationXavier Capdevila
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Lapeyronie University Hospital, 371 Avenue du Doyen Gaston Giraud, 34295 Montpellier Cedex, France
Anesth Analg 94:1606-13, table of contents. 2002..In addition, we prospectively studied 80 patients scheduled for total hip arthroplasty who received a continuous psoas compartment block (CPCB) in the postoperative period...
- Predictive value of BMD for hip and other fracturesOlof Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Bone Miner Res 20:1185-94. 2005..Low hip BMD was an important predictor of fracture risk...
- Effect of 6-month whole body vibration training on hip density, muscle strength, and postural control in postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled pilot studySabine M P Verschueren
Laboratory of Motor Control, Department of Kinesiology, Faculteit Lichamelijke Opvoeding en Kinesitherapie, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 19:352-9. 2004High-frequency mechanical strain seems to stimulate bone strength in animals. In this randomized controlled trial, hip BMD was measured in postmenopausal women after a 24-week whole body vibration (WBV) training program...
- Bone mineral density at the hip in Norwegian women and men--prevalence of osteoporosis depends on chosen references: the Tromsø StudyNina Emaus
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromso, Norway
Eur J Epidemiol 24:321-8. 2009..BMD was measured in g/cm(2) at total hip and femoral neck by dual-energy-X-ray absorptiometry in 3,094 women and 2,132 men in the 2001 Tromsø Study...
- Asymmetries in hip mineralization in mobile cellular phone usersFernando D Saravi
School of Nuclear Medicine and Department of Morphology and Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, National University of Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina
J Craniofac Surg 22:706-10. 2011..This study assessed differences in bone mineralization in the right and left hip of healthy male adult volunteers who were either nonusers of mobile phones (n=24) or users who carried the phone ..
- Symptomatic and asymptomatic movement coordination of the lumbar spine and hip during an everyday activityGary L K Shum
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:E697-702. 2005This experimental study analyzed the movements of the lumbar spine and hip while putting on a sock.
- Hip and spine strength effects of adding versus switching to teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with prior alendronate or raloxifeneFelicia Cosman
Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw, NY, USA
J Bone Miner Res 28:1328-36. 2013..5%, p < 0.01); there were no significant differences between the Add and Switch groups. In the RLX stratum, hip vBMD and strength increased at 6 and 18 months in the Add group but only at 18 months in the Switch group (Strength,..
- Daily pain variations among patients with hand, hip, and knee osteoarthritisK D Allen
Health Services Research and Development Service, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:1275-82. 2009..This study examined within-day osteoarthritis (OA)-related pain patterns and associated patient characteristics...
- Damage to the superior gluteal nerve during the direct lateral approach to the hip: a cadaveric studyTahir Khan
Central Manchester and Manchester Children s University Hospital, United Kingdom
J Arthroplasty 22:1198-200. 2007The direct lateral approach to the hip is one of the most commonly used surgical approaches for hip arthroplasty...
- Results of total hip arthroplasties in the young patient; further evidence for a barrier against articular wear debris by hydroxyapatite coatingsPieter J Emans
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht The Netherlands
Hip Int 19:343-51. 2009..Sixty-five hydroxyapatite-coated total hip arthroplasties in 57 patients (age <50years) with polyethylene-metal articulation were evaluated regarding PE-..
- Association between cam-type deformities and magnetic resonance imaging-detected structural hip damage: a cross-sectional study in young menStephan Reichenbach
University of Bern and Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 63:4023-30. 2011Femoroacetabular impingement may be a risk factor for hip osteoarthritis in men. An underlying hip deformity of the cam type is common in asymptomatic men with nondysplastic hips...
- Adductor surgery to prevent hip displacement in children with cerebral palsy: the predictive role of the Gross Motor Function Classification SystemBenjamin J Shore
Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:326-34. 2012..the relationship between walking ability, as determined with use of the Gross Motor Function Classification System (GMFCS), and the outcome of hip adductor surgery used to prevent hip displacement in children with cerebral palsy.
- Hip adduction and abduction strength profiles in elite soccer players: implications for clinical evaluation of hip adductor muscle recovery after injuryKristian Thorborg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Amager Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Sports Med 39:121-6. 2011An ipsilateral hip adduction/abduction strength ratio of more than 90%, and hip adduction strength equal to that of the contralateral side have been suggested to clinically represent adequate strength recovery of hip adduction strength ..
- Effects of the pelvic compression belt on gluteus medius, quadratus lumborum, and lumbar multifidus activities during side-lying hip abductionKyung Mi Park
Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health and Sport Science, Daejeon University, 96 3, Yongun dong, Dong Gu, Daejeon 300 716, Republic of Korea
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 20:1141-5. 2010..EMG) activities of gluteus medius (GM), quadratus lumborum (QL), and lumbar multifidus (LM) during side-lying hip abduction. Thirty-one volunteers (15 men and 16 women) with no history of pathology volunteered for this study...
- Associations of hip and thigh circumferences independent of waist circumference with the incidence of type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn StudyMarieke B Snijder
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 77:1192-7. 2003The higher risk of type 2 diabetes in persons with a high waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) or waist-to-thigh ratio (WTR) has mostly been attributed to increased visceral fat accumulation...
- Intra-cyclic distance per stroke phase, velocity fluctuations and acceleration time ratio of a breaststroker's hip: a comparison between elite and nonelite swimmers at different race pacesH Leblanc
C E T A P S Laboratory UPRES EA 3832, University of Rouen, Faculty of Sports Sciences, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Int J Sports Med 28:140-7. 2007..Their forward intra-cyclic hip velocity was recorded with a velocity-meter...
- The effect of motion patterns on edge-loading of metal-on-metal hip resurfacingS J Mellon
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences, University of Oxford, UK
Med Eng Phys 33:1212-20. 2011The occurrence of pseudotumours (soft tissue masses relating to the hip joint) following metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty (MoMHRA) has been associated with high serum metal ion levels and consequently higher than normal ..
- Using patient-reported outcome measures to estimate cost-effectiveness of hip replacements in English hospitalsJohn Appleby
The King s Fund, London W1G 0AN, UK
J R Soc Med 106:323-31. 2013To estimate the average cost per quality adjusted life year (QALY) gained from hip surgery, and to examine the variation in that between hospitals.
- Relative importance of hip and sacral pain among long-term gynecological cancer survivors treated with pelvic radiotherapy and their relationships to mean absorbed dosesAnn Charlotte Waldenstrom
Division of Clinical Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84:428-36. 2012To investigate the relative importance of patient-reported hip and sacral pain after pelvic radiotherapy (RT) for gynecological cancer and its relationship to the absorbed doses in these organs.
- Postural responses to combined vestibular and hip proprioceptive stimulation in manK E Popov
Institute for Information Transmission Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Eur J Neurosci 11:3307-11. 1999..with postural responses to suprathreshold vestibular stimulation and asymmetric (unilateral) vibration of the hip abductors...
- Invariant hip moment pattern while walking with a robotic hip exoskeletonCARA L LEWIS
Human Adaptation Laboratory, College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Sargent College, Boston University, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Biomech 44:789-93. 2011..To test this hypothesis, eight healthy subjects trained with the robotic hip exoskeleton while walking on a force-measuring treadmill...
- Radiographic outcome of soft-tissue surgery for hip subluxation in non-ambulatory children with cerebral palsyRichard E Bowen
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop B 15:109-12. 2006..study reviewed radiographs of non-ambulatory spastic tetraparetic cerebral palsy patients who underwent soft tissue hip surgery to address hip subluxation...
- Prevalence of cam-type deformity on hip magnetic resonance imaging in young males: a cross-sectional studyStephan Reichenbach
University of Bern and Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1319-27. 2010To determine the prevalence of cam-type deformities on hip magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in young males.
- Influence of lever arm and stabilization on measures of hip abduction and adduction torque obtained by hand-held dynamometryDavid A Krause
Physical Therapy Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:37-42. 2007To examine the reliability of clinical techniques for testing hip abductor and adductor muscle performance.
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip from six months to four years of ageM G Vitale
Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Hospital of New York, New York-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 9:401-11. 2001Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) denotes a wide spectrum of pathologic conditions, ranging from subtle acetabular dysplasia to irreducible hip dislocation...
- Three-dimensional analysis of the pelvic and hip mobility during gait on a treadmill and on the groundRobert Staszkiewicz
Department of Biomechanics, University School of Physical Education in Kraków, Poland
Acta Bioeng Biomech 14:83-9. 2012..The purpose of our research was to determine the changes of pelvic girdle mobility and hip joint in men in three planes of movement (sagittal, frontal and horizontal) during gait at a speed of 5 km/h...
- Immune Regulation of Bone HomeostasisMERVYN NEALE WEITZMANN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Fractures lead to huge healthcare expenditures, loss of mobility, and morbidity. Hip fractures almost always require surgery and mortality rates are extremely high in aged individuals following ..
- Pharmacogenetics of obesity and endocannabinergic modulation (POEM)Russell A Wilke; Fiscal Year: 2012..eCB/CB1 signaling genes for association with 12 quantitative traits: body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, hip circumference, waist/hip ratio (WHR), fasting glucose, insulin, insulin/glucose ratio, homeostasis model assessment ..
- Vitamin D Hormone Signaling in Bone Mineral HomeostasisMark R Haussler; Fiscal Year: 2010..absorption and bone remodeling to preclude the development of osteoporosis and resulting fractures of the spine, hip and wrist, the manner through which the vitamin D hormone accomplishes this beneficial effect has not been fully ..
- Radiation-Induced Osteoporosis in Women with Cancer: Mechanisms and PreventionTed A Bateman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Radiotherapy for soft-tissue tumors in the pelvic region increases hip-fracture risk, resulting in substantial patient morbidity and mortality: Treatment for rectal, cervical, and anal ..
- Effectiveness and Safety of Antithrombotic Strategies after Joint ReplacementElaine Hylek; Fiscal Year: 2013..Without prophylaxis, the prevalence of VTE following hip or knee arthroplasty is 40-60%...
- Arsenic Exposure, Genetic Determinants and Diabetes Risk in a Family StudyAna Navas-Acien; Fiscal Year: 2013..and measures of fasting glucose and insulin, lipid profile, hypertension endpoints, body mass index, and waist and hip circumferences are available at baseline and follow-up visits through 2011...
- A Culturally Tailored LIfestyle Intervention to Prevent Diabetes in South Asians:KABAYAM M VENKAT NARAYAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Secondary outcomes are changes in percent body fat, body mass index, waist-to-hip ratio, fasting glucose, blood pressure, plasma lipids, activity, and diet...
- Salivary-based Bone-loss Marker Detection Platform for Point-of-Care ScreeningMANAL BESHAY; Fiscal Year: 2012..particularly in older women, it is usually only diagnosed at a later stage when morbid symptoms, such as spine or hip fractures, have occurred...
- Osteoclastic Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase and ResorptionKin Hing William Lau; Fiscal Year: 2013..A reduction in hip fractures, which can be a particular debilitating symptom of osteoporosis, would be desirable with respect to ..
- Controlled delivery of polypeptide hormone calcitoninJagdish Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..By the year 2050, the worldwide incidence of hip fracture is projected to increase by ~300%...
- Assessment of Bone Composition Through a Novel Liquid/Solid State MRI MethodAra Nazarian; Fiscal Year: 2013ABSTRACT Fragility fractures of the hip, spine or wrist affect 1.5 million Americans annually and are a common cause of pain, deformity and disability. Moreover, caring for these fracture patients costs nearly $10 billion annually...
- CELLULAR REGULATION OF CLATHRIN ASSEMBLY AND FUNCTIONFrances M Brodsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clathrin light chain (CLC) subunits mediate CCV binding to Hip proteins (Hip1 and Hip1R), which can bind actin and cortactin and thereby regulate actin dynamics in the vicinity ..
- Assessment of Bone Composition Through a Novel Liquid/Solid State MRI MethodAra Nazarian; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fragility fractures of the hip, spine or wrist affect 1.5 million Americans annually and are a common cause of pain, deformity and disability...
- VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL: Effects on Bone Structure and ArchitectureMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..measures at baseline and year 2: Aim 1: High-dose vitamin D3 will (a) produce small increases in aBMD at the spine, hip, forearm and total body, as assessed by DXA and (b) improve balance of bone remodeling through decreases in bone ..
- Novel Drug VS-105 for Treatment of OsteoporosisJinshyun Ruth Wu-Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013..National Osteoporosis Foundation estimated that the US national direct expenditures for osteoporotic hip fractures were at $17 billion in 2005 and it would increase to $25 billion in 2025...
- HYPONATREMIA-INDUCED OSTEOPOROSISJoseph G Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2010..and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) showed a significantly increased odds ratio for osteoporosis in the hip among U.S. adults e50 years with hyponatremia compared to those with normal serum sodium levels...
- Daily Experience in Adolescence and Biomarkers of Early Risk for Adult HealthAndrew J Fuligni; Fiscal Year: 2013..Blood pressure, BMI, and waist/hip ratio will be assessed, and dried blood spots will be obtained for the assessment of c-reactive-protein (CRP), ..
- Vitamin D Effect on Body Composition During Behavioral Weight Loss in WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..appendicular lean mass (kg), % lean mass, bone mineral content (g), and bone mineral density (BMD) at the spine and hip (g/cm2), in 228 overweight/obese postmenopausal women (50-75 y) undergoing a 12-month lifestyle change weight loss ..
- Cellular Mechanisms for Increased Gluconeogenesis in Type 2 DiabetesVarman T Samuel; Fiscal Year: 2013..be tested in two models of T2D, the ZDF rat and a transgenic rat overexpressing human islet amyloid polypeptide (HIP rat)...
- Community Ambulation Following Hip FractureJay Magaziner; Fiscal Year: 2013..The ability to ambulate in the community is of critical importance for carrying out daily activities;yet 50% of hip fracture patients who walked independently before a fracture require assistance to walk 10 feet a year later, and ..
- Development of a Wearable Passive Vibration Therapy System for the Lower ExtremitJEFFREY MICHAEL LEISMER; Fiscal Year: 2010..device is its ability to passively deliver musculoskeletal stimulation to persons recovering from falls-related hip fractures (e.g., those in a bed rest or other reduced activity environments)...
- Improving pain and function in hip fractureR Sean Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Hip fractures are an important cause of mortality and functional dependence in the United States...
- Role of DDR2 in OA-like Pathogenesis in OsteochondrodysplasiasYefu Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..and activity of MMP-13 and the expression of DDR2 are increased in a surgically induced mouse OA model and in human hip OA cartilages;(5) increased MMP-13 expression in chondrocytes results from type II collagen-induced activation of ..
- Improving ambulatory community access after paralysisRudi Kobetic; Fiscal Year: 2012..These include individuals with weak hip and knee flexors and ankle dorsiflexors for initiating a step and weak hip flexors, ankle plantar flexor and hip ..
- DIETARY PATTERNS AND RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASEFrank B Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will examine whether diet quality modifies the associations between genetic variants and BMI and waist-to-hip ratio (WHR)...
- Epidemiology of Putative Causal Variants in the Multiethnic CohortLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., body mass index/weight, waist-to-hip ratio, height) and 4) relevant disease-associated biomarkers (e.g., fasting insulin and lipids, steroid hormones)...
- Analysis of PTH and Dopamine Receptor Signaling in Proximal TubulesEleanor D Lederer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Metabolic bone disease contributes substantially to the occurrence of hip fracture, a disabling event with up to a 50% one year mortality...
- Robust BCT for Clinical UseDAVID KOPPERDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Should this project be successful, future work will further refine the techniques, extend them to the hip and quantitative analysis of muscle and other soft tissues, and address robustness of longitudinal changes for ..
- Biological Pathways of Acute and Chronic Stress in Aged Hip Fracture CaregiversLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The sample will include 225 older informal caregivers to elderly hip fracture patients recruited from 8 Baltimore area hospitals (108 new and continuing caregivers to patients in the ..
- Vitamin D and Omega-3 Fatty Acids(VITAL Trial): Effects on FracturesMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..Primary Aims: In the VITAL cohort, will vitamin D3 and/or EPA+DHA reduce incident a) total fractures and b) hip or non-vertebral fractures? Secondary Aims: In the CTSC sub-cohort, will vitamin D3 and/or EPA+DHA reduce bone loss ..
- Research and Mentoring on Energetic Factors and Cancer: Established InvestigatorLeslie Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..research with mentees on associations between physical activity and body size (using height, weight, waist and hip measurements, independently, and various ratio measures like body mass index, waist-hip ratio, and waist-height ..
- Effects of prenatal stress exposure on childhood physical and metabolic outcomesKelsey Needham Dancause; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will collect detailed anthropometric measurements (height;weight;waist, hip, mid-upper-arm, and calf circumference;and triceps, subscapular, and suprailiac skinfolds) among Iowa Flood Study ..
- Orthopaedic Wear Debris, Vitamin D, and Innate ImmunityJohn S Adams; Fiscal Year: 2010Clinical failure of total hip replacements involving polyethylene cups and cobalt-chrome femoral components will affect more than a million individuals in the coming 20-year period...
- Cathespin K Radioligands for In Vivo ImagingMichael R Kilbourn; Fiscal Year: 2012..over half of adults in the United States over the age of 50, and 1 in 3 women over the age of 80 will suffer a hip fracture;of those who fracture, nearly 15-20% die within 1 year...
- Regeneration of the Developing Chick Elbow JointRosalie Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2012..the Developing Chick Elbow Joint Project Summary Synovial joints such as those that comprise the elbow, knee, and hip are extremely important for functioning in everyday life...
- The Johnston County OA Project: Arthritis and DisabilityJoanne M Jordan; Fiscal Year: 2013..study will provide long-term outcome data for the prevalence, incidence and progression of radiographic knee and hip OA, knee and hip symptoms, and disability in African Americans and Whites, aged 45 years and older...
- FOCUSJEFFREY LEE CARSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..Eligible patients for the trial will have undergone surgical repair for a hip fracture and have a postoperative Hgb level below 10 g/dl within three days of surgery...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Customary Fit and Strong! vs. Fit and Strong! PlusSusan L Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2013..2011b). This rise in obesity prevalence may explain rapid increases in the use of hip and knee replacement surgery in the U.S., which totaled $9.1 billion in 2004 (Kim, 2008)...
- System for Tracking and Managing Pain (STAMP)Wendy A Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2012..STAMP will be a patient-centered pain experience education and management tool for older adults with OA knee and/or hip pain...
- Intestinal Calcium Absorption: Molecular MechanismJames C Fleet; Fiscal Year: 2012..aging and in post-menopausal women with fractures;low fractional Ca absorption has been associated with increased hip fracture risk in post-menopausal women, and intestinal resistance to the action of 1,25(OH)2 D develops in the ..
- Phase-contrast X-ray imaging system for large jointsDan Stutman; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the world population and attack most of the joints in the body, including large joints such as the knee, hip, or shoulder...
- Intestinal Microbiota, Diet and Risk of Colorectal AdenomasRobert S Sandler; Fiscal Year: 2013..adherent bacteria profiles and diet/lifestyle such as fiber, meat intake, obesity (body mass index (BMI), waist-hip-ratio), and NSAID use in relation to colorectal adenomas...
- Bone Marrow Adiposity, Bone and Body CompositionAnn V Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..adiposity measured by MRS is associated with cortical and trabecular bone density and bone size at the spine, hip and femoral shaft measured by CT;with areal bone density of the hip and spine from DXA;and with bone turnover ..
- Early effects of PTH on the proximal femurFelicia Cosman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Osteoporosis with consequent hip fractures causes substantial disability, morbidity and mortality...
- Genetics of Osteoblast DifferentiationMatthew Aaron Hibbs; Fiscal Year: 2012..5 million osteoporotic fractures each year, including 280,000 hip fractures and 500,000 vertebral fractures...
- Enhanced Risk Adjustment Using Laboratory Test and Pharmacy DataAmresh Hanchate; Fiscal Year: 2013..failure, cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, hip fracture, pneumonia, acute renal failure and acute stroke...
- Predict Near Future Bed Exit for Effective Intervention to Avoid Nighttime FallsTHOMAS HENRY WHALEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The consequences of falls from attempted or successful bed exits among the elderly include hip fractures, soft tissue or head injuries, fear of falling, anxiety, depression and death...
- FT-IR Microscopy of Mineral StructureAdele L Boskey; Fiscal Year: 2013..5 million fractures in the US per year, with 300,000 of these fractures occurring at the hip at a cost exceeding $17 billion...
- 2012 AAOS Femoroacetabular Impingement Research SymposiumJohn C Clohisy; Fiscal Year: 2011..Lower extremity OA is particularly common and costly. Estimates show that by 2030, over 4.4 million hip and knee replacement procedures will be performed annually in the United States with the number of hip replacements ..
- Glycemic derangement and osteogenic cells:A model of Premature skeletal agingKENDALL MOSELEY; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hip fracture is a catalyst for profound morbidity and mortality in the aging population...
- Gender differences in Bone Loss and Incident FracturesElizabeth L Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Men and women have had concurrent dual enelgy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) at the hip and spine three previous times at four-year intervals...
- Sex-specific movement differences in young adults with and without hip painCARA L LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Acetabular labral tears are an increasingly recognized source of hip pain in young adults, especially females, and have been linked to the premature development of hip osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Tailoring a HIV prevention intervention for college-aged black womenRasheeta Chandler; Fiscal Year: 2013..research goal is to develop expertise as an independent investigator to tailor a previously tested intervention (HIP TEENS) and conduct a pilot RCT [HIP LADIES]...
- Developmental Genes and the Origin of FatC Ronald Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2013..is highly correlated with the level of obesity, as measure by BMI, and the fat distribution as measured by waist- hip ratio (WHR), suggesting that developmental and patterning genes may play important roles in determination of ..
- Combinatorial Metal Oxide Substrates to Enhance Osteogenic Stem Cell FunctionsJaime E Ramírez-Vick; Fiscal Year: 2012..economic effect, especially if one takes into consideration that up to 30% of the implants in procedures such as hip replacement do not show appropriate osseointegration...
- Clinical Validation of BCT - Phase IIDAVID KOPPERDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2010..3D bone geometry and distribution of bone density, body-weight, height, trochanteric soft tissue thickness (for hip fractures), muscle moment arm (for spine), and the age-related risk of sustaining an overload event (such as a fall ..
- Effect of Intense Multi-Modal Training on Bone Mineral Density, Bone Biomarkers,Todd Anthony Astorino; Fiscal Year: 2013..a clinically valid index of bone strength and fracture risk, will be assessed at four sites (spine, total body, hip, and knee) at baseline and at three and six months of the program...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HIP FRAGILITYTatiana M Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our goal is to find genetic causes for bone weakening conditions like osteoporosis so better treatments can be developed. ..
- Relationships between discrimination and the health of South Asian AmericansSARAH BERGMAN NADIMPALLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pakistani, and Bangledeshi groups) and (2) investigate the relationships between SRD and physical health (self-reported physical health conditions and direct, physiologic measures [BMI, waist-to-hip ratio, and blood pressure]) of SAAs.
- CLINICAL CORRELATES OF LONGITUDINAL PET CHANGES IN ADMony J de Leon; Fiscal Year: 2013..in cognitively normal (NL) subjects;and b) confirm and improve predictions of cognitive decline over hippocampus (HIP) glucose metabolism (MRglc) scanning with FDG-PET...
- Novel Mechanism of PTH Effects on Bone MetabolismBin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Severe osteoporosis affects over 10 million Americans. Over 300,000 hip fractures are caused by osteoporosis annually...
- Physical, Cognitive and Mental Health in Social ContextMichael Marsiske; Fiscal Year: 2013..Acute events like stroke, hip fracture, and chronic conditions including circulatory and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis and ..
- The role of clathrin and the Hip proteins in breast cancer metastasisSOPHIA MAJEED; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed research focuses on the Hip proteins and addresses the hypothesis that the Hip proteins are directly involved in breast cancer metastasis in ..
- Combining Imaging and Modeling in Osteoporosis Fracture Risk AssessmentGARY BEAUPRE; Fiscal Year: 2009..with morbidity, limitations in the activities of daily living, increased mortality, particularly in the case of hip fractures, and a financial cost to society that is estimated at $19 billion per year or more than $52 million per ..
- HANTAVIRUS ECOLOGY AND DISEASE IN CHILE AND PANAMAGregory Mertz; Fiscal Year: 2009..and perform three clinical trials with immune plasma with high titers of Andes virus neutralizing activity (HIP)...
- OSTEOARTHRITIS & OSTEOPOROSIS IN ELDERLY WOMANMichael Nevitt; Fiscal Year: 1992..Bone mass also varies by anatomic site within individuals. Therefore, we will study bone mass in the hip in relation to hip OA, bone mass in the radius in relation to hand OA, and bone mass in the spine in relation to ..
- Hip Fracture Evaluation Alternatives of Total Hip vs Hemi-arthroplasty (HEALTH)Thomas Einhorn; Fiscal Year: 2009Scope of the Problem: Hip fractures occur in 280,000 Americans, over 5,000 per week...
- Fibrillin 2 and Developmental Genetics of Hip Dysplasia in a Canine ModelRory Todhunter; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A key feature of inherited canine (CHD) and human hip dysplasia (developmental dysplasia of the hip, DDH) is hip joint laxity which results in hip instability, subluxation, and debilitating secondary ..
- Implant/Construct Interactions in the Biomechanics of Total Hip DislocationThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..provided by applicant): Dislocation remains second only to aseptic loosing as a leading cause of failure in total hip arthroplasty (THA)...
- FICSIT COLLABORATIVE ANALYSESRobert Wallace; Fiscal Year: 1993Over 200,000 hip fractures occur in the U.S. yearly among older persons, primarily due to osteoporosis and an increased risk of falls...
- FOCUS Hip Fracture Transfusion Trial: Delirium and Other Cognitive OutcomesAnn L Gruber Baldini; Fiscal Year: 2010..study to the Transfusion Therapy Trial for Functional Outcomes in Cardiovascular Patients Undergoing Surgical Hip Fracture Repair (FOCUS) to examine the impact of the hemoglobin interventions on delirium in a sub-sample of 200 ..
- Clinical Validation of BCTDAVID KOPPERDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2007..3D bone geometry and distribution of bone density, body-weight, height, trochanteric soft tissue thickness (for hip fractures), and age, thereby shifting focus to the overall structure and mechanics of bone rather than simply ..
- Biotribological Layers in Metal-on-Metal Hip ReplacementJoshua J Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Metal-on-metal (MoM) bearings for hip replacement have surged in popularity over the last several years due to lower volumetric wear (compared to conventional metal-on-ultrahigh molecular weight ..
- Nanostructured Zirconia Ceramics for Joint ProstheticsANTHONY SUTORIK; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tribological assessment of all materials available for the fabrication of hip implants indicates that ball components fabricated of partially stabilized (toughened) tetragonal zirconia (..
- Pain Assessment in Elders with OsteoarthritisPao Feng Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2004Knee and hip osteoarthritis (OA) are highly prevalent (16.6%-33% for the knee and 10.4%-26.3% for the hip) and the leading causes of disability in elders. Activity instigates and aggravates pain in patients with severe knee or hip OA...
- MULTISCAN PHOTON ABSORPTIOMETRY & OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTUREWilson Hayes; Fiscal Year: 1991Approximately 1.3 million osteoporotic fractures of the vertebrae hip, and distal radius occur each year in the U.S., with estimated annual costs in excess of $10 billion...
- FEMORAL OSTEOPOROSIS IN ELDERLY WOMENSusan Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 1999Osteoporosis is a widespread condition associated with over 250,000 hip fractures each year...
- Donepezil-enhanced management of delirium in aged hip fracture patientsEdward Marcantonio; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hip fracture has been associated with 40-60% risk of delirium (acute confusion)...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Disorders of the hip comprise a substantial fraction of the current musculoskeletal disease burden...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Disorders of the hip comprise a substantial fraction of the current musculoskeletal disease burden...