Genomes and Genes
Summary: The region of the lower limb between the FOOT and the LEG.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Ultrasound improves the success rate of a tibial nerve block at the ankleKirsten E Redborg
Department of Anesthesiology, Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 34:256-60. 2009..there exists little evidence-based medicine evaluating different techniques for blocking the tibial nerve at the ankle. We hypothesized that an ultrasound (US)-guided tibial nerve block at the ankle would prove more successful than a ..
- Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurementAkira Yamashina
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Japan
Hypertens Res 25:359-64. 2002The present study was conducted to evaluate the validity and reproducibility of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) measurements and to examine the alteration of baPWV in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham Risk Score to predict cardiovascular events and mortality: a meta-analysisF G R Fowkes
JAMA 300:197-208. 2008Prediction models to identify healthy individuals at high risk of cardiovascular disease have limited accuracy. A low ankle brachial index (ABI) is an indicator of atherosclerosis and has the potential to improve prediction.
- Powered ankle-foot prosthesis to assist level-ground and stair-descent gaitsSamuel Au
MIT Media Laboratory, 20 Ames Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Neural Netw 21:654-66. 2008The human ankle varies impedance and delivers net positive work during the stance period of walking...
- Ankle-brachial blood pressure index predicts all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in hemodialysis patientsKumeo Ono
Kan etsu Chuo Hospital, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:1591-8. 2003A reduction in ankle-brachial BP index (ABPI) is associated with generalized atherosclerotic diseases and predicts cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in several patient populations...
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity as a marker of atherosclerotic vascular damage and cardiovascular riskAkira Yamashina
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Hypertens Res 26:615-22. 2003The measurement of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) is simple and applicable for general population studies...
- Ankle-arm index as a predictor of cardiovascular disease and mortality in the Cardiovascular Health Study. The Cardiovascular Health Study GroupA B Newman
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:538-45. 1999Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) in the legs, measured noninvasively by the ankle-arm index (AAI) is associated with clinically manifest cardiovascular disease (CVD) and its risk factors...
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity: an index of central arterial stiffness?J Sugawara
Institute for Human Science and Bioengineering, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Japan
J Hum Hypertens 19:401-6. 2005Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) is a promising technique to assess arterial stiffness conveniently. However, it is not known whether baPWV is associated with well-established indices of central arterial stiffness...
- Foot and ankle strength, range of motion, posture, and deformity are associated with balance and functional ability in older adultsMartin J Spink
Musculoskeletal Research Centre, Department of Podiatry, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 92:68-75. 2011To determine the extent to which measures of foot and ankle strength, range of motion, posture, and deformity are associated with performance in a battery of balance and functional ability tests in older adults.
- Impact of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and ankle-brachial blood pressure index on mortality in hemodialysis patientsTokuyuki Kitahara
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Gunma Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 46:688-96. 2005Pulse wave velocity (PWV) and ankle-brachial blood pressure index (ABPI) are markers for atherosclerosis, and each predicts mortality in patients undergoing hemodialysis...
- Clinical significance and reproducibility of new arterial distensibility indexTakuro Kubozono
Department of Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Metabolic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Circ J 71:89-94. 2007The brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) is used to evaluate the degree of atherosclerosis and arterial distensibility, but its major limitation is that it is affected by changes in blood pressure (BP) during measurement...
- Effect of ezetimibe monotherapy on lipid metabolism and arterial stiffness assessed by cardio-ankle vascular index in type 2 diabetic patientsYoh Miyashita
Departments of Internal Medicine, Sakura Medical Center, School of Medicine, Toho University, 564 1 Shimoshizu, Chiba, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:1070-6. 2010..High cholesterol absorption in the small intestine has been proposed to be a risk factor of atherosclerosis. In this study, we evaluated the effect of ezetimibe monotherapy on arterial stiffness in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Correlation between brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and arterial compliance and cardiovascular risk factors in elderly patients with arteriosclerosisBaoying Li
Department of Geriatrics, Qi Lu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, PR China
Hypertens Res 29:309-14. 2006..of this study was to investigate an association between major cardiovascular risk factors and each of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV), ankle-brachial index (ABI), capacitive arterial compliance (C1), and oscillatory ..
- Influence of blood pressure on cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) examined based on percentage change during general anesthesiaBarkhwa Kim
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
Hypertens Res 34:779-83. 2011Cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) are non-invasive methods for estimating arterial distensibility...
- Patient specific ankle-foot orthoses using rapid prototypingConstantinos Mavroidis
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Neuroeng Rehabil 8:1. 2011..A computerized technique for fabricating patient-specific orthotic devices has the potential to provide excellent comfort and allow for changes in the standard design to meet the specific needs of each patient...
- Are stance ankle plantar flexor muscles necessary to generate propulsive force during human gait initiation?V Michel
Laboratoire de Physiologie du Mouvement, INSERM U483, Universite Paris Sud, Bat 441, Orsay, France
Neurosci Lett 325:139-43. 2002..forward propulsive force (PF) during gait initiation resulted mainly from the electromyogram activity of stance ankle plantar flexor muscles (APF) which 'push' on the ground as is generally claimed in the literature...
- Ankle--brachial index, vascular calcifications and mortality in dialysis patientsTeresa Adragao
Diaverum, Unidade do Estoril, Portugal
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:318-25. 2012The ankle-brachial index (ABI) is a noninvasive method to evaluate peripheral artery disease (PAD). ABI <0.9 diagnoses PAD; ABI >1.3 is a false negative caused by noncompressible arteries...
- Reverse correlation between ankle-brachial index and left ventricular hypertrophy in patients on maintenance haemodialysisWencheng Fu
Department of Nephrology, Center of Kidney Disease, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Nephrology (Carlton) 11:9-14. 2006..b>Ankle-brachial index (ABI) has been recently demonstrated to be a predictor for all-cause and cardiovascular mortality ..
- The human ankle during walking: implications for design of biomimetic ankle prosthesesAndrew H Hansen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Biomech 37:1467-74. 2004The non-disabled human ankle joint was examined during walking in an attempt to determine overall system characteristics for use in the design of ankle prostheses...
- Cardio-ankle vascular index is superior to brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity as an index of arterial stiffnessAkira Takaki
Takaki Medical Clinic, 3198 6, Kume, Shunan 745 0801, Japan
Hypertens Res 31:1347-55. 2008Both cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) are noninvasive methods to estimate arterial stiffness...
- A novel blood pressure-independent arterial wall stiffness parameter; cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI)Kohji Shirai
Internal Medicine, Sakura Hospital, Medical Center, Toho University, 564 1 Shimoshizu, Sakura shi, Chiba 285 8741, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 13:101-7. 2006To measure the stiffness of the aorta, femoral artery and tibial artery noninvasively, cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) which is independent of blood pressure was developed...
- Control of a powered ankle-foot prosthesis based on a neuromuscular modelMichael F Eilenberg
Mechanical Engineering Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 18:164-73. 2010Control schemes for powered ankle-foot prostheses rely upon fixed torque-ankle state relationships obtained from measurements of intact humans walking at target speeds and across known terrains...
- Ethnic differences in peripheral arterial disease in the NHLBI Genetic Epidemiology Network of Arteriopathy (GENOA) studyIftikhar J Kullo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 200 First Street Southwest, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Vasc Med 8:237-42. 2003..We compared the distribution of the ankle-brachial index (ABI), a measure of PAD, between African Americans and non-Hispanic white individuals...
- Ankle-brachial index and extent of atherothrombosis in 8891 patients with or at risk of vascular disease: results of the international AGATHA studyF Gerald R Fowkes
Department of Public Health Sciences, Wolfson Unit for the Prevention of Peripheral Vascular Diseases, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9AG, UK
Eur Heart J 27:1861-7. 2006..a Global Atherothrombosis Assessment) was designed to assess the extent of atherothrombosis and the use of the ankle-brachial index (ABI) in vascular patients...
- Utility and barriers to performance of the ankle-brachial index in primary care practiceEmile R Mohler
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Vasc Med 9:253-60. 2004..The PARTNERS Program implemented the ankle-brachial index (ABI) measurement in primary care outpatient clinics in order to model practical dissemination of ..
- Infectious and healing complications after elective orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery during tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibition therapyChristopher Bibbo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Marshfield Clinic, WI 54449, USA
Foot Ankle Int 25:331-5. 2004..This study analyzed the risk of healing/infectious complications in patients undergoing elective foot and ankle surgery while being treated with TNF-alpha inhibitors etanercept and infliximab.
- Association of ankle-brachial index and plaques in the carotid and femoral arteries with cardiovascular events and total mortality in a population-based study with 13 years of follow-upClaudia Lamina
Institute of Epidemiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Eur Heart J 27:2580-7. 2006..We prospectively examined the association of the ankle-brachial index (ABI) and arterial plaques in carotid and femoral arteries with incident myocardial infarctions (..
- Prospective, randomized, multi-center feasibility trial of rhPDGF-BB versus autologous bone graft in a foot and ankle fusion modelChristopher W DiGiovanni
University Orthopaedics, Inc, 100 Butler Dr, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Foot Ankle Int 32:344-54. 2011..of this prospective, controlled, randomized, multi-center feasibility clinical trial was to compare the safety and efficacy of this biosynthetic bone graft substitute (Augment™ Bone Graft) to ABG during ankle and hindfoot fusion.
- Effects of telmisartan on arterial stiffness assessed by the cardio-ankle vascular index in hypertensive patientsKenichiro Kinouchi
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nephrology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Kidney Blood Press Res 33:304-12. 2010This study was conducted to determine the effect of telmisartan on the cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI), a novel blood pressure (BP)-independent marker for arterial stiffness in hypertensive patients.
- Tumors of the foot and ankle: analysis of 196 casesH M Ozdemir
Ankara University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Turkey
J Foot Ankle Surg 36:403-8. 1997A retrospective assessment was performed on 196 tumors of the foot and ankle [out of 1786 bone and soft tissue tumor cases, (10...
- Short-term effects of functional electrical stimulation on motor-evoked potentials in ankle flexor and extensor musclesAiko Kido Thompson
Centre for Neuroscience, 513 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, T6G 2S2 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Exp Brain Res 159:491-500. 2004..electrical stimulation of the common peroneal (CP) nerve during walking on motor-evoked potentials (MEPs) in the ankle flexors and extensors in healthy subjects...
- Modulation of soleus H-reflex by presynaptic spinal mechanisms during varying surface and ankle brace conditionsJ M Sefton
Biodynamics Research Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, The University of North Carolina, Charlotte NC 28223, USA
Neurophysiol Clin 37:15-21. 2007..The intent of this study was to evaluate changes in PRD of the soleus H-reflex during single-leg stance under varying stability conditions...
- MR imaging of entrapment neuropathies of the lower extremity. Part 2. The knee, leg, ankle, and footAndrea Donovan
Department of Radiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON, Canada
Radiographics 30:1001-19. 2010Entrapment neuropathies of the knee, leg, ankle, and foot are often underdiagnosed, as the results of clinical examination and electrophysiologic evaluation are not always reliable...
- The inter-arm blood pressure difference and peripheral vascular disease: cross-sectional studyChristopher E Clark
Primary Care Research Group, Institute of Health and Social Care Research, Peninsula Medical School, St Luke s Campus, Exeter, Devon, UK
Fam Pract 24:420-6. 2007..Knowledge of its prevalence and importance in the accurate measurement of BP is poor, representing a source of error. Current hypertension guidelines do not emphasize this...
- Noninvasive indices of arterial stiffness in hemodialysis patientsKiyo Ueyama
Department of Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Metabolic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Hypertens Res 32:716-20. 2009The purpose of this study was to evaluate the validity of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) and the cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) as measures of arterial stiffness in hemodialysis (HD) patients...
- Ankle brachial index as a marker of atherosclerosis in Chinese patients with high cardiovascular riskBuaijiaer Hasimu
Heart, Lung and Blood Vessel Center, Tongji University, Shanghai, P R China
Hypertens Res 29:23-8. 2006..and risk factor profile of peripheral arterial disease (PAD), we evaluated the clinical significance of the ankle brachial index (ABI) as an indicator of PAD in Chinese patients at high cardiovascular (CV) risk...
- Improvement of cardio-ankle vascular index by glimepiride in type 2 diabetic patientsD Nagayama
Center of Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolism, Sakura Hospital, School of Medicine Toho University, Sakura City, Chiba, Japan
Int J Clin Pract 64:1796-801. 2010..We investigated the efficacy of glimepiride in improving arterial stiffness assessed by cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) in type 2 diabetic patients, compared with glibenclamide, a conventional SU.
- Ankle brachial pressure index and carotid intima-media thickness as atherosclerosis markers in Japanese diabeticsChisa Hayashi
Department of Medicine, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 66:269-75. 2004The aim of this study was to assess the clinical significance of ankle brachial pressure index (ABI) and carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Cardio-ankle vascular index could reflect plaque burden in the coronary arteryShigeo Horinaka
Dokkyo Medical University, Department of Hypertension and Cardiorenal Medicine, Mibu, Tochigi, Japan
Angiology 62:401-8. 2011Cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) using the volume plethysmographic method is a noninvasive atherosclerotic indicator which is not influenced by blood pressure...
- Reliability and validity of the foot and ankle outcome score: a validation study from IranHossein Negahban
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Clin Rheumatol 29:479-86. 2010The aims of this study were to culturally adapt and validate the Persian version of Foot and Ankle Outcome Score (FAOS) and present data on its psychometric properties for patients with different foot and ankle problems...
- Results of an Internet survey determining the most frequently used ankle scores by AOFAS membersJohnny T C Lau
Orthopaedic Surgery, UHN Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Foot Ankle Int 26:479-82. 2005With technological advances in ankle arthroplasty, there has been parallel development in the outcome instruments used to assess the results of surgery...
- Re-weighting of somatosensory inputs from the foot and the ankle for controlling posture during quiet standing following trunk extensor muscles fatigueNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, Faculte de Medecine, UMR UJF CNRS 5525, 38706, La Tronche Cedex, France
Exp Brain Res 183:323-7. 2007..fatigue on postural control during quiet standing under different somatosensory conditions from the foot and the ankle. With this aim, 20 young healthy adults were asked to stand as immobile as possible in two conditions of No ..
- Risk factors for declining ankle-brachial index in men and women 65 years or older: the Cardiovascular Health StudyMargaret Kennedy
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:1896-902. 2005An ankle-brachial index (ABI) of less than 0.9 is a noninvasive measure of lower extremity arterial disease and a predictor of cardiovascular events...
- Cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) as a novel indicator of arterial stiffness: theory, evidence and perspectivesKohji Shirai
Internal Medicine, Sakura Hospital, School of Medicine, Toho University
J Atheroscler Thromb 18:924-38. 2011The cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) is a new index of the overall stiffness of the artery from the origin of the aorta to the ankle. The most conspicuous feature of CAVI is its independence of blood pressure at the time of measurement...
- Viscerally obese women with normal body weight have greater brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity than nonviscerally obese women with excessive body weightJi Won Lee
Department of Family Medicine, Yonsei University, College of Medicine, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Kangnam, Korea
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:572-8. 2007To confirm the association of visceral obesity and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) and to compare metabolic indices and baPWV between individuals who have normal body weight but are viscerally obese and individuals with ..
- Ankle brachial index <0.9 underestimates the prevalence of peripheral artery occlusive disease assessed with whole-body magnetic resonance angiography in the elderlyJ Wikstrom
Department of Radiology and Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Radiol 49:143-9. 2008..Whole-body magnetic resonance angiography (WBMRA) permits noninvasive vascular assessment, which can be utilized in epidemiological studies...
- The MOXFQ patient-reported questionnaire: assessment of data quality, reliability and validity in relation to foot and ankle surgeryJ Dawson
The Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Roosevelt Drive, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, United Kingdom
Foot (Edinb) 21:92-102. 2011..the Manchester-Oxford Foot Questionnaire (MOXFQ) is here evaluated for use with different regions of the foot and ankle. The study recruited 671 consecutive patients (87.8% of those eligible), mean age 52...
- Periodontal disease and atherosclerosis from the viewpoint of the relationship between community periodontal index of treatment needs and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocityKoichi Miyaki
Department of Health Informatics, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
BMC Public Health 6:131. 2006..However, the relationship between periodontal disease and atherosclerosis has not been fully elucidated. This study aimed to assess the effects of periodontal disease on atherosclerosis...
- A new method for evaluating ankle foot orthosis characteristics: BRUCED J J Bregman
MOVE Institute for Human Movement Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gait Posture 30:144-9. 2009The mechanical characteristics of ankle foot orthoses (AFOs), such as the stiffness and neutral angle around the ankle and metatarsal-phalangeal (MTP) joints, are rarely quantified...
- The relation between ankle impairments and gait velocity and symmetry in people with strokePei Yi Lin
Institute and Faculty of Physical Therapy, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 87:562-8. 2006To identify the most important factor among the ankle impairments on gait velocity and symmetry in stroke patients.
- Robot assisted gait training with active leg exoskeleton (ALEX)Sai K Banala
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 17:2-8. 2009..The force-field controller achieves this paradigm by effectively applying forces at the ankle of the subject through actuators on the hip and knee joints...
- Fresh-frozen structural allografts in the foot and ankleMark S Myerson
Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:113-20. 2005..of this study was to review the results of using structural fresh-frozen femoral head allografts in foot and ankle procedures...
- Association of cardio-ankle vascular index with physical fitness and cognitive symptoms in aging Finnish firefightersH Lindholm
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41a A, 00250, Helsinki, Finland
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 85:397-403. 2012..The aim of this study was to analyze associations between aerobic fitness, cognitive symptoms and cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) as a measure for AS among Finnish firefighters.
- Determinants of the second derivative of the finger photoplethysmogram and brachial-ankle pulse-wave velocity: the Ohasama studyJunichiro Hashimoto
Department of Planning for Drug Development and Clinical Evaluation, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Am J Hypertens 18:477-85. 2005..We examined different characteristics of the second derivative of the finger photoplethysmogram (SDPTG) and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (BAPWV) for assessing arterial function in a large general population, along with the ..
- Development and reliability of a standard rating system for outcome measurement of foot and ankle disorders II: interclinician and intraclinician reliability and validity of the newly established standard rating scales and Japanese Orthopaedic AssociationHisateru Niki
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St Marianna University School of Medicine, 2 16 1 Sugao, Miyamae ku, Kanagawa 216 8511, Japan
J Orthop Sci 10:466-74. 2005..reliability of (1) the Japanese Society of Surgery of the Foot (JSSF) standard rating system for four sites [ankle-hindfoot (AH), midfoot (MF), hallux (HL), and lesser toe (LT)] and the rheumatoid arthritis (RA) foot and ankle ..
- The effect of casting combined with stretching on passive ankle dorsiflexion in adults with traumatic head injuriesA M Moseley
Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit, Liverpool Health Service, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia
Phys Ther 77:240-7; discussion 248-59. 1997b>Ankle plantar-flexion contractures are a common problem following traumatic head injury...
- Utility of automated brachial ankle pulse wave velocity measurements in hypertensive patientsMasanori Munakata
Division of Hypertension and Cardiology, Tohoku Rosai Hospital, 3 21 Dainohara 4, Aobaku, Sendai 981 8563, Japan
Am J Hypertens 16:653-7. 2003We examined whether pulse wave velocity (PWV), determined by brachial ankle arterial pressure wave measurements, using a newly developed, fully automated device could be a surrogate measure for carotid femoral PWV.
- Voluntary activation of ankle muscles is accompanied by subcortical facilitation of their antagonistsSvend S Geertsen
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 588:2391-402. 2010..During and just prior to dorsiflexion of the ankle, soleus motoneurones are thus inhibited as evidenced by a depression of the soleus H-reflex...
- A clinical prediction model for the presence of peripheral arterial disease--the benefit of screening individuals before initiation of measurement of the ankle-brachial index: an observational studyBianca L W Bendermacher
Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, Atrium Medical Centre, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Vasc Med 12:5-11. 2007Measurement of the ankle-brachial index (ABI) can provide important information about the presence of subclinical atherosclerosis. Performing the ABI in the overall population is not feasible, but it can be used in a selected population...
- Aspirin for prevention of cardiovascular events in a general population screened for a low ankle brachial index: a randomized controlled trialF Gerald R Fowkes
Centre for Population Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
JAMA 303:841-8. 2010A low ankle brachial index (ABI) indicates atherosclerosis and an increased risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events...
- Relationship of high and low ankle brachial index to all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality: the Strong Heart StudyHelaine E Resnick
Department of Epidemiology, MedStar Research Institute, Hyattsville, Md 20873, USA
Circulation 109:733-9. 2004The associations of low (<0.90) and high (>1.40) ankle brachial index (ABI) with risk of all-cause and cardiovascular disease (CVD) mortality have not been examined in a population-based setting.
- Non-invasive brain stimulation enhances fine motor control of the hemiparetic ankle: implications for rehabilitationSangeetha Madhavan
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Illinois, 1919 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Exp Brain Res 209:9-17. 2011..Can stroke patients improve voluntary control of their paretic ankle by practising a visuo-motor ankle-tracking task? 2...
- Availability of cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) as a screening tool for atherosclerosisKoichiro Kadota
Department of General Medicine, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 12 4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8523, Japan
Circ J 72:304-8. 2008A novel index, the cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI), which reflects the stiffness of the aorta, femoral artery, and tibial artery, was recently developed by measuring brachial - ankle pulse wave velocity and blood pressure.
- Effect of aliskiren addition to amlodipine on ankle edema in hypertensive patients: a three-way crossover studyRoberto Fogari
Clinica Medica II, University of Pavia, Centro Ipertensione e Fisiopatologia Cardiovascolare, Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Pavia, Italy
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:1351-8. 2011The aim of this study was to assess the effect of aliskiren and amlopidine on ankle-foot volume (AFV) and pretibial subcutaneous tissue pressure (PSTP).
- Comparison of atherosclerotic indicators between cardio ankle vascular index and brachial ankle pulse wave velocityShigeo Horinaka
Department of Hypertension and Cardiorenal Medicine, Dokkyo Medical University, Mibu, Tochigi 321 0293, Japan
Angiology 60:468-76. 2009..The brachial ankle pulse wave velocity and cardio ankle vascular index are used for estimating the extent of atherosclerosis...
- The effects of adding mass to the legs on the energetics and biomechanics of walkingRaymond C Browning
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80262, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:515-25. 2007....
- Brain activity during ankle proprioceptive stimulation predicts balance performance in young and older adultsDaniel J Goble
Motor Control Laboratory, Research Center for Movement Control and Neuroplasticity, Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Neurosci 31:16344-52. 2011Proprioceptive information from the foot/ankle provides important information regarding body sway for balance control, especially in situations where visual information is degraded or absent...
- Using ankle-brachial index to detect peripheral arterial disease: prevalence and associated risk factors in a random population sampleJulio A Carbayo
Medical Corps, 14th Fighter Wing Air Base, Albacete, Spain
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17:41-9. 2007The ankle-brachial index (ABI) is being used increasingly to diagnose peripheral arterial disease (PAD) that predicts cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Volume of ankle dorsiflexors and plantar flexors determined with stereological techniquesP Gadeberg
Department of Neurology and Magnetic Resonance Research Center, Aarhus University Hospital, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 86:1670-5. 1999..Power [peak torque (PT)] of the ankle dorsiflexors and plantar flexors was estimated by using isokinetic dynamometry. Dorsiflexor volume (r2 = 0...
- Endothelial dysfunction, intima-media thickness, ankle-brachial pressure index, and pulse pressure in young post-myocardial infarction patients with various expressions of classical risk factorsBarbara Erzen
Department of Vascular Disease, University Medical Centre, Zaloska 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Heart Vessels 22:215-22. 2007..markers of arterial function and morphology, such as endothelial dysfunction (ED), intima-media thickness (IMT), ankle-brachial pressure index (ABPI), and pulse pressure (PP) may be useful in coronary risk estimation...
- Partial denervation of ankle extensors prior to spinalization in cats impacts the expression of locomotion and the phasic modulation of reflexesA Frigon
Department of Physiology, Universite de Montreal, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
Neuroscience 158:1675-90. 2009..Reflexes, evoked by stimulating the left tibial nerve at the ankle, the electromyography of several hindlimb muscles, and kinematics were recorded during locomotion before and after ..
- Precision and accuracy of an ankle-worn accelerometer-based pedometer in step counting and energy expenditureRandal C Foster
Endocrine Research Unit, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Prev Med 41:778-83. 2005..In this paper, we investigate the precision and accuracy of an ankle-worn dual-axis accelerometer (Stepwatch) and investigate its potential application as a predictor of energy ..
- Intrinsic contribution of gender and ethnicity to normal ankle-brachial index values: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)Victor Aboyans
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:319-27. 2007..These studies based their PAD definition on an ankle-brachial index (ABI) <0.90...
- Effects of an ankle-foot orthosis on spatiotemporal parameters and energy cost of hemiparetic gaitMarco Franceschini
Department of Geriatrics and Rehabilitation, Hospital of Parma, Italy
Clin Rehabil 17:368-72. 2003To assess the effect of an ankle-foot orthosis on the gait and energy parameters of walking in chronic hemiparetic subjects.
- Relationship between cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) and carotid atherosclerosis in patients with essential hypertensionTakafumi Okura
Department of Integrated Medicine and Informatics, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Toon, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:335-40. 2007..Brachial-ankle PWV (baPWV) has been developed as a more convenient assessment of arterial stiffness...
- Differences between trunk sway characteristics on a foam support surface and on the Equitest ankle-sway-referenced support surfaceJ H J Allum
Department of ORL, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Gait Posture 16:264-70. 2002..One technique often used for this purpose is to reduce the efficacy of ankle proprioceptive inputs on sway...
- A high ankle-brachial index is associated with increased cardiovascular disease morbidity and lower quality of lifeMatthew A Allison
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California San Diego, California, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1292-8. 2008The purpose of this study is to determine if an ankle-brachial index (ABI) >or=1.40 is associated with reduced quality of life (QoL).
- Association of polymorphisms in NOS3 with the ankle-brachial index in hypertensive adultsIftikhar J Kullo
Divisions of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Atherosclerosis 196:905-12. 2008We investigated the association of 14 polymorphisms in the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene (NOS3) with ankle brachial index (ABI) in non-Hispanic white hypertensives belonging to hypertensive sibships...
- Ankle brachial pressure index (ABPI): An update for practitionersMo Al-Qaisi
Imperial College, Suite 280, 28 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3SS, UK
Vasc Health Risk Manag 5:833-41. 2009..The ankle brachial pressure index (ABPI) test is widely used by a diverse range of practitioners (in the community and ..
- Subintimal angioplasty for below-the-ankle arterial occlusions in diabetic patients with chronic critical limb ischemiaYue Qi Zhu
Department of Radiology, The Sixth Affiliated People s Hospital, Medical School of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
J Endovasc Ther 16:604-12. 2009To assess the feasibility and efficacy of subintimal angioplasty (SA) in the treatment of below-the-ankle arterial occlusion in diabetic patients with chronic critical limb ischemia (CLI).
- Changes in corticospinal function and ankle motor control during recovery from incomplete spinal cord injuryBrigitte Wirth
Spinal Cord Injury Center, Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurotrauma 25:467-78. 2008..This study assessed changes in corticospinal tract (CST) function by measuring motor-evoked potentials (MEPs) and ankle motor control at 1, 3, and 6 months after acute iSCI...
- Relationship of ankle blood pressures to cardiovascular events in older adultsKim Sutton-Tyrrell
Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, GSPH 505A Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Stroke 39:863-9. 2008Low values of ankle-arm systolic blood pressure ratio predict mortality and cardiovascular events. High values, associated with arterial calcification, also carry risk for mortality...
- Ankle valgus deformity secondary to proximal migration of the fibula in tibial lengthening with use of the Ilizarov external fixatorHui Wan Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Severance Children s Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, South Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:294-302. 2011b>Ankle valgus deformity secondary to proximal migration of the fibula following an Ilizarov tibial lengthening has not been discussed in detail in the literature...
- Iterative decomposition of water and fat with echo asymmetry and least-squares estimation (IDEAL) fast spin-echo imaging of the ankle: initial clinical experienceSamuel Fuller
Department of Radiology, Grant Building S0 68B, Stanford University, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305 5105, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:1442-7. 2006..either suboptimal signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), or the inability to obtain consistent fat suppression around the ankle joint...
- Reorganization and enhanced functional connectivity of motor areas in repetitive ankle movements after training in locomotor attentionKatiuscia Sacco
CCS fMRI, Neuroradiology at Koelliker Hospital and Department of Psychology at University of Turin, Italy
Brain Res 1297:124-34. 2009..expanded activations found in the previous study were present also using an overt foot motor task consisting of ankle dorsiflexion; a control task requiring hand movements was also administered...
- Cardio-ankle vascular index is a candidate predictor of coronary atherosclerosisKeijiro Nakamura
Department of Cardiovascular Center, Sakura Medical Center, School of Medicine, Toho University, Japan
Circ J 72:598-604. 2008Recently, arterial stiffness parameter called cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) has been developed...
- The effects of external cues on ankle control during gait initiation in Parkinson's diseaseKoichi Hiraoka
Department of Physical Therapy, Osaka Prefecture University, 3 7 30, Habikino, Habikino City, 583 8555 Osaka, Japan
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 12:97-102. 2006The present study investigated the effects of external cues on motor control of the ankle joint during gait initiation in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) and in age-matched healthy subjects...
- Frequency of a low ankle brachial index in the general population by age, sex and deprivation: cross-sectional survey of 28,980 men and womenJackie F Price
Division of Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, Scotland
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15:370-5. 2008An increasing interest is observed in the use of the ankle brachial index (ABI, ratio of systolic blood pressure at the ankle to that in the arm) to assess cardiovascular risk...
- Comparison of two waist-mounted and two ankle-mounted electronic pedometersMurat Karabulut
Department of Health and Exercise Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 95:335-43. 2005This study compared two ankle-mounted pedometers [StepWatch 3 (SW-3(Ankle)) and Activity Monitoring Pod 331 (AMP(Ankle))] and two waist-mounted pedometers [New Lifestyles NL-2000 (NL(Waist)) and Digiwalker SW-701 (SW-701(Waist))] under ..
- Cardio-ankle vascular index and ankle pulse wave velocity as a marker of arterial fibrosis in kidney failure treated by hemodialysisAtsuhiro Ichihara
Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 52:947-55. 2008..This study sought to compare the strength of predictions of arterial fibrosis by using a new parameter, the cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI), versus pulse wave velocity (PWV) in patients with kidney failure treated with hemodialysis.
- Limitation of the resting ankle-brachial index in symptomatic patients with peripheral arterial diseaseRussell Stein
Zena and Michael A Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, Marie Josee and Henry R Kravis Center for Cardiovascular Health, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
Vasc Med 11:29-33. 2006..disease it has been recommended to screen high-risk patients for PAD in the primary care setting using the ankle-brachial index (ABI)...
- Prevalence of symptomatic and asymptomatic peripheral arterial disease and the value of the ankle-brachial index to stratify cardiovascular riskR Ramos
Research on Inflammatory and Cardiovascular Disorders Program RICAD, Unitat de Lípids i Epidemiologia Cardiovascular ULEC, Cardiovascular, Epidemiology and Genetics Research Group EGEC, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 38:305-11. 2009To determine the prevalence of ankle-brachial index (ABI)<0...
- Effects of isokinetic ankle fatigue on the maintenance of balance and postural limitsJames A Yaggie
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:224-8. 2002To quantify changes in balance parameters and ranges of postural control at the ankle after isokinetic fatigue.
- Ankle: isotropic MR imaging with 3D-FSE-cube--initial experience in healthy volunteersKathryn J Stevens
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Room S 062A, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Radiology 249:1026-33. 2008..3D-FSE-Cube) with a conventional two-dimensional (2D) FSE sequence for magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of the ankle. After institutional review board approval and informed consent were obtained and in accordance with HIPAA privacy ..
- Center effect on ankle-brachial index measurement when using the reference method (Doppler and manometer): results from a large cohort studyEmilie Vierron
INSERM, CIC 202, Tours, France
Am J Hypertens 22:718-22. 2009The ankle-brachial index (ABI) is a simple and noninvasive tool used to detect peripheral arterial disease (PAD)...
- Relationship of cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) to carotid and coronary arteriosclerosisMasayasu Izuhara
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kishiwada City Hospital, Kishiwada, Japan
Circ J 72:1762-7. 2008The cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) has been recently reported as a new index of aortic stiffness, which is less influenced by blood pressure than pulse wave velocity (PWV)...
- Effects of an ankle-foot orthosis on balance performance in patients with hemiparesis of different durationsRay Yau Wang
Institute and Faculty of Physical Therapy, National Yang Ming University, Shih Pai, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Rehabil 19:37-44. 2005To examine the effects of an ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) on balance performance in patients with hemiparesis of short and long duration.
- Task-specific depression of the soleus H-reflex after cocontraction training of antagonistic ankle musclesMonica A Perez
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, 2200, Copenhagen N, Denmark
J Neurophysiol 98:3677-87. 2007..have small soleus (SOL) H-reflex amplitudes, which may be related to frequent use of cocontraction of antagonistic ankle muscles...
- The effects of human ankle muscle vibration on posture and balance during adaptive locomotionK L Sorensen
Gait and Posture Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Exp Brain Res 143:24-34. 2002This study investigated the contribution of ankle muscle proprioception to the control of dynamic stability and lower limb kinematics during adaptive locomotion, by using mechanical vibration to alter the muscle spindle output of ..
- Comparison of colour duplex ultrasound and ankle-brachial pressure index measurements in peripheral vascular disease in type 2 diabetic patients with foot infectionsG Premalatha
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation and MV Diabetes Specialities Centre P Ltd, Gopalapuram, Chennai, India
J Assoc Physicians India 50:1240-4. 2002..The aim of the study was to compare the specificity and sensitivity of ankle-brachial index (ABI) measured by peripheral doppler with the colour duplex ultrasound (CDU) for diagnosis of PVD.
- Functional analysis of the foot and ankle myology of gibbons and bonobosEvie E Vereecke
Laboratory for Functional Morphology, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Belgium
J Anat 206:453-76. 2005This study investigates the foot and ankle myology of gibbons and bonobos, and compares it with the human foot. Gibbons and bonobos are both highly arboreal species, yet they have a different locomotor behaviour...
- Role of NGF in inflammatory and proliferative cascades of psoriatic diseaseSiba P Raychaudhuri; Fiscal Year: 2012..Psoriasis is a disease with flakey skin, and can be associated with arthritis of joints of hands, wrist, feet, ankle, knee, and spine...
- Effects of Evoked Resistance Training and Testosterone after Spinal Cord InjuryAshraf Gorgey; Fiscal Year: 2012..To address this goal, surface NMES accompanied with ankle weights will be conducted twice weekly to exercise the knee extensor skeletal muscle groups from sitting position...
- Characterizing Ankle Function During Sloped Locomotion For Prosthesis DevelopmentAlena Grabowski; Fiscal Year: 2012..amputation have regained normative function during level-ground walking due to the development of a new powered ankle-foot prosthesis...
- Sterile Hepatic InflammationWajahat Zafar Mehal; Fiscal Year: 2012..This results in a very high degree of morbidity due to fatigue, jaundice, ankle swelling and pruritis...
- Foot Bone Motion in End Stage Ankle Arthritis PatientsWilliam R Ledoux; Fiscal Year: 2012..The purpose of this proposal is to better understand the effects of two common treatments for end stage ankle arthritis (ESAA). Until fairly recently, the "gold standard" for treatment ESAA has been an ankle arthrodesis (i.e...
- Rocker Shoes for Natural Immobilization of the Ankle during Single Limb SupportAndrew H Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Immobilization of the ankle using a walking cast or boot is a common treatment to relieve pain...
- Improving ambulatory community access after paralysisRudi Kobetic; Fiscal Year: 2012..These include individuals with weak hip and knee flexors and ankle dorsiflexors for initiating a step and weak hip flexors, ankle plantar flexor and hip extensors for generating the ..
- Integrated MRI-Based Examination for Evaluation of Peripheral Arterial DiseaseFelix W Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2010..The initial test for diagnosing PAD is measurement of the ankle-brachial index (ABI), a simple inexpensive test typically performed in a physician's office...
- BMP2 signaling of the development of osetoarthritisVicki Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2013..an ability to initiate fracture repair (22-24) and the progressive development of OA of the knee, elbow, wrist and ankle by 28 weeks of age (Fig 1)...
- Perfluoroalkyl chemicals and the risk of developing clinical and subclinical CVDAnoop Shankar; Fiscal Year: 2012..coronary artery calcium (CAC), abdominal aortic calcium (AAC), carotid intimal-medial thickness (CIMT), low ankle-brachial index (ABI), and hypertensive left ventricular parameters including left ventricular mass, volume and ..
- Phase-contrast enhanced X-ray imaging system for small joints of handThomas J Beck; Fiscal Year: 2010..can image with high resolution soft tissues such as cartilage and ligaments in the joints of the hand, knee and ankle. DPC has the potential to improve contrast and resolution at comparable or lower doses than used in conventional, ..
- Sleep and Cardiovascular HealthPhyllis C Zee; Fiscal Year: 2012..pressure, lipids, glucose, smoking, C-reactive protein), clinical and subclinical CVD (coronary artery calcium, ankle brachial index), obtained by the recently funded parent grant (R01 HL081141;Principal Investigator, Martha L...
- Phase-contrast X-ray imaging system for large jointsDan Stutman; Fiscal Year: 2012..or muscle, enabling in the synchrotron experiments to image with high resolution soft tissues in the human knee, ankle or hand joints...
- BORRELIA BURGDORFERI MITOGEN IN DEVELOPMENT OF ARTHRITISJanis J Weis; Fiscal Year: 2013..post infection in the rear ankle joint. An early spike in Type I IFN, localized to joint tissue at 1 wk...
- Role of Femoral Atherosclerosis in Functional Status, CVD Events, and MortalityCHRISTINA LYNN WASSEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Even asymptomatic PAD and is associated with functional status, functional decline and loss of mobility. An ankle brachial index (ABI) <0...
- Effect of Prosthetic Foot-Ankle Stiffness on Amputee FunctionGLENN KLUTE; Fiscal Year: 2011..ESAR) feet are to provide mechanical energy for propulsion that was once provided by the muscles crossing the ankle joint...
- Longtitudinal Study of DialysisRulan S Parekh; Fiscal Year: 2012..valvular calcium and CT angiography as well as validated outcomes from echocardiography, pulse wave velocity and ankle brachial index...
- Ankle dorsiflexion splinting enhances endothelial function of aged leg musclesJUDY M DELP; Fiscal Year: 2013..Low-load, prolonged-duration ankle dorsiflexion, which stretches the muscles of the calf, is prescribed in patients with limited range of motion and ..
- Paraspinal Denervation in Low Back PainAndrew J Haig; Fiscal Year: 2010..surgery clinic, and spine program;having them undergo examinations by a vascular and neurosurgeon as well as ankle-brachial index (ABI) testing...
- Boston Puerto Rican Health Study - CVD Risk FactorsKatherine L Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2013..longitudinal change in allostatic load and biochemical indicators of risk, to more concrete indicators of disease (ankle brachial index (ABI) and intima media thickness (IMT));with additional focus on social networks, neighborhood ..
- Retraining Spinal Circuits With Robot-Assisted Functional Electrical StimulationDeborah Won; Fiscal Year: 2013..Animals will be implanted with electrodes to record electrical activity from the ankle flexor and extensor muscles (EMG) and to stimulate innervating nerves...
- Identification of Responders to the FES Interventions in Stroke PopulationRakesh Pilkar; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will determine the 'gait symmetry'of FES assisted walking using bilateral cyclograms of the ankle and knee over a period of 6 months...
- PHASE-BASED CONTROL OF LOCOMOTION FOR HIGH-PERFORMANCE PROSTHESES AND ORTHOSESRobert D Gregg; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will then implement a novel control strategy using this sense of phase on a powered knee-ankle prosthesis, which will be validated with human amputee subjects...
- Changing a reflex to improve locomotionAiko Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this population, exaggerated stretch reflex and abnormal reflex modification of the ankle extensors are frequently observed...
- Sex Differences in Vascular Markers of Stroke RiskCheryl D Bushnell; Fiscal Year: 2012..of endothelial response to ischemia), carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (measure of arterial stiffness), and ankle-brachial index (measure of peripheral vascular disease)...
- Developing a brain-machine interface for an ankle robotLarry Forrester; Fiscal Year: 2012..Baltimore VA's Maryland Exercise and Robotics Center of Excellence, we have developed an impedance controlled ankle robot (anklebot) to enhance paretic ankle motor control and gait function in stroke survivors...
- EMG Biofeedback with AMESPaul Cordo; Fiscal Year: 2010..disabled stroke subjects, AMES treatment usually did not restore functional movement at the fingers, wrist, or ankle if the joint was plegic...
- In Vivo Imaging-Based Multiscale Modeling of Normal and Atrophied Human Lower LegShantanu Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..Level, and (B) Multi- scale, multi-component Systems Level models will be used to predict strain distribution, ankle joint displacement and total joint force...
- Cortical Control of Hindlimb Muscles in PrimatesPAUL DAVID CHENEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..effects on contralateral muscles, and 6) to determine the nature of output effects from M1 cortex to fast and slow ankle extensor muscles in the monkey using spike and stimulus triggered averaging of EMG activity...
- Sodium and Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2010..of sub-clinical CVD (coronary artery calcification score, left ventricular hypertrophy identified by Echo, and ankle-brachial index) among patients with CKD...
- A Virtually Supervised Web-Based Home Exercise Technology for Older AdultsBijan Najafi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on the sensor signals, body segment kinematics (e.g., foot position, ankle angle, and hip angle) will be estimated in real-time using a simplified biomechanical model of the human body...
- MESAKarol Watson; Fiscal Year: 2011..tomography, cardiac MRI, carotid ultrasound, flow-mediated brachial artery dilation, radial artery tomometry, ankle-brachial index measurement, and retinal photography and, in subsets, abdominal aortic CT, carotid MRI, cardiac MRI ..
- MESAKarol Watson; Fiscal Year: 2012..tomography, cardiac MRI, carotid ultrasound, flow-mediated brachial artery dilation, radial artery tomometry, ankle-brachial index measurement, and retinal photography and, in subsets, abdominal aortic CT, carotid MRI, cardiac MRI ..
- MESAKarol Watson; Fiscal Year: 2010..tomography, cardiac MRI, carotid ultrasound, flow-mediated brachial artery dilation, radial artery tomometry, ankle-brachial index measurement, and retinal photography and, in subsets, abdominal aortic CT, carotid MRI, cardiac MRI ..
- MESAKarol Watson; Fiscal Year: 2009
- The In Vivo Biomechanics of Lateral Ankle Ligament Injury and ReconstructionLouis E DeFrate; Fiscal Year: 2010Sprains of the lateral ligaments of the ankle are one of the most common injuries in sports and recreation...
- Foot Disorders, Pain and Physical Disability in EldersMarian T Hannan; Fiscal Year: 2012..load in specific regions of the foot;2) these foot pressure measures and specific foot disorders, foot pain, and ankle, knee and hip joint pain;3) these foot pressure measures and lower extremity function, specifically physical ..
- Functional Electrical Stimulation Mediated NeuroplasticityLynne R Sheffler; Fiscal Year: 2013..The research focus is on footdrop, a common post-stroke impairment of ankle dorsiflexion characterized by dragging of the foot during walking, which results in an inefficient and unsafe gait ..
- MESARussell P Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2013
- MESARussell P Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2011
- MESAAaron R Folsom; Fiscal Year: 2011
- MESARichard A Kronmal; Fiscal Year: 2011
- MESAAaron R Folsom; Fiscal Year: 2010
- MESARichard A Kronmal; Fiscal Year: 2013
- MESARichard A Kronmal; Fiscal Year: 2012
- MESARussell P Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2012
- MESAAaron R Folsom; Fiscal Year: 2013
- MESARussell P Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2010
- MESAAaron R Folsom; Fiscal Year: 2012
- MESARichard A Kronmal; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Influence of Core Stability on Running Mechanics in Novice RunnersAJIT MOHAN WORTHEN CHAUDHARI; Fiscal Year: 2013..biomechanics will then be evaluated before and after this protocol in 25 novice runners to determine how knee and ankle loads associated with PFP and ITBS are influenced by a loss of core stability...
- MESARichard A Kronmal; Fiscal Year: 2009
- MESARussell P Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2009
- MESAAaron R Folsom; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Quantitative MRI of the Human Peripheral Nervous System In VivoRICHARD DARRELL DORTCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..of robust, clinically feasible, high-resolution, quantitative MRI methods (diffusion, MT, MET2) of tibial (from ankle to knee) and sciatic nerves (from knee to hip) to access the length dependent nature of certain neuropathies...
- Foot Progression Angle in Individuals with Diabetes &Peripheral NeuropathyERICKA NAYRAM MERRIWETHER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Expected outcomes: We hypothesize that foot, ankle, and hip joint motion limitations contribute substantially to excessive external FPA magnitude in adults with DMPN...
- PRECURSORS OF STROKE INCIDENCE AND PROGNOSISPhilip A Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2013..carotid ultrasound, MRI and CT scans of the heart and aorta;vascular function studies - arterial stiffness, ankle-brachial index and brachial artery reactivity;and baseline and repeated quantitative brain MR scans, including ..
- MESASteven Shea; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Biomarkers of the risk for post-traumatic osteoarthritisJames A Martin; Fiscal Year: 2010..used to show that the severity of tibial plafond fractures positively correlates with the subsequent occurrence of ankle OA...
- MESAKiang Liu; Fiscal Year: 2011
- MESAKiang Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013
- MESAKIANG JOHN LIU; Fiscal Year: 2010
- SCI SHOULDER FUNCTION IN ASSISTIVE DEVICE GAITJacquelin Perry; Fiscal Year: 2002..Motion of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, and ankle will be measured with the VICON Motion Analysis System...
- EMG Biofeedback with AMESPaul Cordo; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., fingers, wrist, and ankle) rendered completely plegic by the stroke...
- Neuromuscular and positional changes after ankle joint mobilizationsJay N Hertel; Fiscal Year: 2010..We aim to assess the acute and intermediate positional and neuromuscular changes occurring at the ankle complex after a single bout of Maitland grade 3 anteroposterior (AP) mobilizations of the distal tibiofibular and ..
- KINEMATICS AND STABILITY OF THE ARCH OF THE FOOTHarold Kitaoka; Fiscal Year: 2001..Hypothesis 1: Normal gait may be observed in vitro with a dynamic ankle simulator...
- PROTEASE MODULATING WOUND DRESSINGS FOR THE TREATMENT OF VENOUS ULCERSDAVID VACHON; Fiscal Year: 2006..Venous ulcers develop slowly and often initiate with swelling. These wounds typically occur above the ankle and below the knee, along the lower medial 1/3rd of the leg (medial malleolus) and result largely from venous ..
- IMPROVING GAIT AND FUNCTION IN CP BY STRENGTHENING THE ANKLEJack Engsberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..The PIs hypothesize that strengthening muscles may be an alternative to procedures that weaken muscles and that ankle strength increases can improve gait and function in persons with CP...
- Neuromechanical changes caused by stroke & stretchingLi Qun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The first specific aim is to treat/stretch spastic ankle joints in stroke patients safely and repeatedly to joint extreme positions until a pre-specified peak resistance ..
- OUTCOMES OF HEEL CORD LENGTHENING IN CHILDREN WITH CPJack Engsberg; Fiscal Year: 1999..When the mechanics of the angle are modeled it becomes apparent that the surgeries may not have the same effect on ankle joint function. Thus, it is possible that one surgery may be more beneficial to a specific patient than another...
- STABILIZING ROLE OF THE LIGAMENTS OF THE HUMAN ANKLESorin Siegler; Fiscal Year: 1990Traumatic injury of the ankle joint involving injury to the collateral ligaments is one of the most frequently occurring injuries at the lower limb. These injuries most frequently occur during a variety of athletic activities...
- Long-term Ambulatory Gait Monitor for Parkinson's DiseaseSteven Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..and gait evaluation monitor (SAGE-M) is a small device (the size of a pager) mounted on the shank just above the ankle, and consists of a combined accelerometer/gyroscope sensor array with onboard storage of data over a 24-h epoch...
- Neural Mechanisms Underlying Acupuncture AnalgesiaJin Chung; Fiscal Year: 2007..The present proposal describes a model of electroacupuncture (EA)- induced analgesia in ankle sprain pain...
- Robotic Prosthesis for Biomimetic Locomotion in Transfemoral AmputeesMichael Goldfarb; Fiscal Year: 2010The overarching hypothesis of this proposal that a prosthesis with actively powered knee and ankle joints will significantly enhance the mobility of many transfemoral amputees, and therefore significantly enhance their quality of life...
- Race in Physician Decision to Prescribe Opioid AnalgesiaJOSHUA SARVER; Fiscal Year: 2002..1) the effect of race on physicians? use of analgesics for 3 acute, painful conditions (back pain with sciatica, ankle fracture, and migraine headache); 2) whether providing information on patients? socioeconomic status, role ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF ANKLE INJURY RISK FACTORSBruce Beynnon; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION: (adapted from Investigator's abstract) Ankle ligament injuries are extremely common, accounting for up to 28% of all athletic injuries...
- Influence of Ankle Motion on Bilateral Amputee GaitSteven Gard; Fiscal Year: 2004We propose to investigate the effect of prosthetic ankle motion on the mechanics of bilateral lower-limb amputee gait...
- TYPE II COLLAGEN DENATURATION IN AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITIAnthony Poole; Fiscal Year: 2003..aging human knee articular cartilages from autopsy and OA cartilages at arthroplasty, and those from the talus (ankle) (autopsy only). Cartilage degeneration is commonly observed in the knee and rarely in the ankle...
- BLOOD FACTORS AND PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2004..baseline blood factor levels are associated with a) progression of lower extremity arterial ischemia (decline in ankle brachial index >= 0...
- FES for foot-drop in hemiparesisJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2009..Foot-drop, or inability to dorsiflex the paretic ankle during the swing phase of gait and ankle instability during stance phase are important gait abnormalities that ..
- Contralaterally Controlled NMES in Chronic Ankle Dorsiflexor Paresis after StrokeJayme S Knutson; Fiscal Year: 2010..A major contributor to impaired ambulation is the inability to dorsiflex the ankle during the swing phase of gait, which results in inefficient and unsafe ambulation or non-ambulation...