Genomes and Genes
Summary: The conic organs which usually give outlet to milk from the mammary glands.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Skin-sparing mastectomy with conservation of the nipple-areola complex and autologous reconstruction is an oncologically safe procedureBernd Gerber
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, LMU Munich, Maistrasse 11, 80337 Munich, Germany
Ann Surg 238:120-7. 2003..Is skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM) with conservation of the Nipple-Areola Complex (NAC) and immediate autologous reconstruction as safe in oncologic terms as SSM with resection of the NAC as modified radical mastectomy (MRM)?..
- Issues related to choice of breast reconstruction in early-stage breast cancerKristina O'Shaughnessy
Northwestern Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 675 North St Clair Street, 19th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 7:129-39. 2006..This approach avoids radiation damage to tissue reconstruction flaps, saving them for use later if necessary. This approach, using a tissue expander as a first step, is growing in popularity...
- Breastfeeding women's experience of expressing: a descriptive studySarah N Clemons
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Hum Lact 26:258-65. 2010..Adverse effects of pumps were pain (17%, 126/737) and damage to nipples (11%, 86/737)...
- The oncological safety of skin sparing mastectomy with conservation of the nipple-areola complex and autologous reconstruction: an extended follow-up studyBernd Gerber
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Ann Surg 249:461-8. 2009..To find out if skin sparing mastectomy (SSM) and nipple sparing mastectomy (NSM) with immediate autologous reconstruction as safe in oncological terms as modified radical mastectomy (MRM)...
- Conversion of the nipple to hair-bearing epithelia by lowering bone morphogenetic protein pathway activity at the dermal-epidermal interfaceJulie Ann Mayer
Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Pathol 173:1339-48. 2008..We propose that during evolution of the nipple, the BMP pathway was co-opted to suppress hair follicle formation and create a more functional milk delivery apparatus...
- Escaping from Flatland: clinical and biological aspects of human mammary duct anatomy in three dimensionsJames J Going
Department of Pathology, University of Glasgow, Glasgor Royal Infirmary, 84 Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0SF, Scotland, UK
J Pathol 203:538-44. 2004..The mastectomy nipples contained 11-48 central ducts (median 27, inter-quartile range 21-30)...
- Update on the indications for nipple-sparing mastectomyCarlos A Garcia-Etienne
Breast Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Support Oncol 4:225-30. 2006..Although the current role of NSM seems to be more defined as a prophylactic procedure in high-risk patients, prospective studies and reports are needed to better define its indications...
- Applicability of the nipple-areola complex-sparing mastectomy: a prediction model using mammography to estimate risk of nipple-areola complex involvement in breast cancer patientsAmy K Schecter
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Department of General Surgery, New Hyde Park, NY, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:498-504; discussion 504. 2006..These preliminary findings indicate that the NACIS formula may be a useful clinical tool for selecting low-risk patients for total NAC-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction...
- Zymographic analyses and measurement of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in nipple aspirate fluidsFerdinando Mannello
Istituto di Istologia and Analisi di Laboratorio, Facoltà di Scienze Matematiche, Fisiche e Naturali, Università degli Studi Carlo Bo, Via E Zeppi, 61029 Urbino PU, Italy
Clin Chem 49:1546-50. 2003
- Skin-sparing mastectomyGiles H Cunnick
Department of Breast Surgery, St George s Hospital, Tooting, London, United Kingdom
Am J Surg 188:78-84. 2004..It facilitates immediate breast reconstruction using an implant or myocutaneous flap, resulting in excellent cosmesis...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomyJ E Rusby
Academic Surgery, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Br J Surg 97:305-16. 2010..Nipple-sparing mastectomy aims to address this, but there is no consensus on its clinical application. Evidence relating to oncological safety, surgical technique and early data on aesthetic outcome was reviewed...
- Nipple sparing mastectomy with nipple areola intraoperative radiotherapy: one thousand and one cases of a five years experience at the European institute of oncology of Milan (EIO)J Y Petit
Plastic Surgery Department, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 117:333-8. 2009..Overall, 36 cases of metastases and 4 deaths were observed. No significant outcome difference was observed between the 800 patients receiving intraoperative radiotherapy (ELIOT) and the 201 patients receiving delayed irradiation...
- Sections of the nipple and quadrants in mastectomy specimens for carcinoma are of limited valueK Sikand
Department of Histopathology, City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
J Clin Pathol 58:543-5. 2005..To assess the value of nipple and quadrant sections in mastectomy specimens for carcinoma in detecting Paget's disease and multifocal carcinoma...
- Different panels of markers should be used to predict mammary Paget's disease associated with in situ or invasive ductal carcinoma of the breastTodd Lester
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 39:17-24. 2009....
- Technical considerations in nipple-sparing mastectomy: 82 consecutive cases without necrosisAlan J Stolier
Department of Surgery, Tulane University, 2525 Severn Ave, Metairie, New Orleans, LA 70002, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1341-7. 2008..As yet, there are no established techniques that are universally applied to NSM. Herein we describe our surgical approach...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy in 99 patients with a mean follow-up of 5 yearsJ Arthur Jensen
Department of Surgical Oncology, John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1665-70. 2011..The safety and practicality of nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) are controversial...
- High basic fibroblast growth factor levels in nipple aspirate fluid are correlated with breast cancerRobbin Hsiung
Department of Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Cancer J 8:303-10. 2002....
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple occurring within a supernumerary breast: a case reportRobert N Page
University of Tennessee Department of Pathology, Knoxville, USA
J Cutan Pathol 36:1206-9. 2009....
- Nipple adenoma arising in a supernumerary mammary gland: a case reportLouise Shinn
Department of General Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colnet Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Tumori 97:812-4. 2011..that diseases of the breast and nipple-areola complex may also arise in accessory mammary tissue and accessory nipples should not be discounted as a common congenital anomaly...
- The nipple-areola complex epidermis: a prospective systematic study in adult autopsiesJose Fernando Val-Bernal
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Marques de Valdecilla University Hospital, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Am J Dermatopathol 32:787-93. 2010..complex of adult autopsies of both sexes not suffering from breast cancer was studied in a total of 140 nipples. The epidermis of the nipple-areola complex shows squamous cells and 3 types of clear cells: Toker cells, ..
- Occult nipple involvement in breast cancer: clinicopathologic findings in 316 consecutive mastectomy specimensElena F Brachtel
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:4948-54. 2009..This study evaluates frequency and patterns of occult nipple involvement in a large contemporary cohort of patients with the retroareolar margin as possible indicator of nipple involvement...
- Nipple adenoma: a differential diagnosis for Paget's diseaseClara Elizabeth Healy
Surgical Professorial Unit, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin, Ireland
Breast J 9:325-6. 2003
- Nipple involvement in breast cancer: retrospective analysis of 2323 consecutive mastectomy specimens- Weidong Li
Cancer Hospital and Institution of Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, China
Int J Surg Pathol 19:328-34. 2011..A total of 2323 consecutive mastectomy specimens with grossly unremarkable nipples were evaluated by sagittal sections through the entire nipple and subareolar tissue...
- Prostate-specific antigen production in the female breast: association with progesteroneE R Sauter
Division of Population Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 7:315-20. 1998..NAF may, therefore, be useful as a breast cancer screening tool for young women who are not recommended to undergo mammography and as an adjunct to screen women who have mammograms performed...
- Dermoscopic features of accessory nipplesMurat Orhan Oztas
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 46:1067-8. 2007..Dermoscopic examination showed a central white area, central streak, and a very faint pigmented network at the periphery...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: technique and results of 54 proceduresJoseph P Crowe
Departments of General Surgery and Plastic Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Arch Surg 139:148-50. 2004..Neoplastic involvement of the NAC can be predicted before surgery and assessed during the operation, and sustained postoperative viability of the NAC is likely with appropriate surgical technique...
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: clinical presentation and literature reviewKhine Z Oo
Department of Hematology Oncology, The Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:1487-9. 2009..Special attention given to this tumor by pathologists and clinicians can avoid misdiagnosis and unnecessary treatment...
- Cancer of the breast with nipple involvementR S Menon
Department of Pathology Dr Daniel den Hoed Cancer Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 59:81-4. 1989..Multiple transverse sections showed tumour in 19 nipples (58%) involving one or more levels. Of these, 17 showed non-invasive tumour, either ductal or lobular type...
- Risk factors for suboptimal infant breastfeeding behavior, delayed onset of lactation, and excess neonatal weight lossKathryn G Dewey
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis 95616 8669, USA
Pediatrics 112:607-19. 2003....
- Nipple sparing subcutaneous mastectomy: sixty-six months follow-upF Caruso
Department of Surgical Oncology, Humanitas Centro Catanese di Oncologia, Via Dabormida 64, 95100 Catania, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:937-40. 2006..Validation of oncological and reconstructive efficacy of nipple sparing subcutaneous mastectomy...
- Development and validation of a model predictive of occult nipple involvement in women undergoing mastectomyJ E Rusby
Division of Surgical Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Br J Surg 95:1356-61. 2008..This prospective study aimed to build a predictive model using preoperative information to aid selection for nipple-sparing mastectomy...
- Patient and duct selection for nipple duct lavageApril Johnson Maddux
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9155, USA
Am J Surg 188:390-4. 2004....
- A descriptive study of mastitis in Australian breastfeeding women: incidence and determinantsLisa H Amir
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Public Health 7:62. 2007....
- Painful nipples in nursing mothers: fungal or staphylococcal? A preliminary studyStephen Graves
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 32:570-1. 2003
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: initial experience at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and a comprehensive review of literatureCarlos A Garcia-Etienne
Breast Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City, New York NY 10021, USA
Breast J 15:440-9. 2009..However, available published data show that NSM can be safely performed for breast cancer treatment in carefully selected cases. Further studies and longer follow-up are necessary to refine selection criteria for NSM...
- Nipple areola skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap reconstruction is an oncologically safe procedure: a single center studyHee Jeong Kim
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Ann Surg 251:493-8. 2010..The present study evaluated the oncological safety and technical outcomes following nipple areola skin-sparing mastectomy (NASSM), skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM), and mastectomy...
- Analysis of nipple/areolar involvement with mastectomy: can the areola be preserved?Rache M Simmons
Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 9:165-8. 2002..Most patients undergoing SSM desire reconstruction of the nipple/areolar complex for symmetry. These data explore the possibility of preserving the areola in selected mastectomy patients...
- Presence of epithelial cells in nipple aspirate fluid is associated with subsequent breast cancer: a 25-year prospective studyGertrude Case Buehring
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 98:63-70. 2006..1 for any breast cancer, 2.5 for invasive breast cancer). We conclude that presence of NAF with epithelial cells is associated with subsequent breast cancer risk and may be a useful marker for women at higher risk...
- Proteomic characterization of nipple aspirate fluid: identification of potential biomarkers of breast cancerSusan M Varnum
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 80:87-97. 2003..In summary, this study provides the first characterization of the NAF proteome and identifies several candidate proteins for future studies on breast cancer markers in NAF...
- Nipple aspirate fluid cytology in breast carcinomaSavitri Krishnamurthy
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 99:97-104. 2003..Cytologic-histologic correlations of NAF were performed in only a few studies...
- The absence of Candida albicans in milk samples of women with clinical symptoms of ductal candidiasisThomas W Hale
Department of Pediatrics, Texas Tech University School of Medicine, 1400 Coulter Boulevard, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Breastfeed Med 4:57-61. 2009..The objective of this prospective study was to determine if Candida albicans is present in the milk of women suffering from symptoms of severe nipple and deep breast pain...
- Breast duct microendoscopy in nipple discharge: microbrush improves cytologyN Beechey-Newman
Department of Academic Oncology, Breast Unit, 3rd Floor, Thomas Guy House, Guy s Hospital, London, SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 19:1648-51. 2005..It was the aim of this study to investigate the use of BDME in patients with pathological nipple discharge and to explore the feasibility of using an endoluminal microbrush to take cytology samples from specific lesions...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy and immediate tissue expander/implant breast reconstructionConstance M Chen
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:1772-80. 2009..The authors evaluated the risks and benefits of nipple- or areola-sparing mastectomy with breast reconstruction...
- Nipple aspirate fluid: a promising non-invasive method to identify cellular markers of breast cancer riskE R Sauter
Division of Population Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Br J Cancer 76:494-501. 1997..This suggests that biomarkers identified in nipple aspirate fluid may prove useful either as an adjunct to currently accepted breast cancer screening methods, or to evaluate response to a chemopreventive agent...
- Diagnostic value of ductoscopy in the diagnosis of nipple discharge and intraductal proliferations in comparison to standard methodsSusanne Grunwald
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Onkologie 30:243-8. 2007..Ductoscopy is gaining increased importance in the diagnosis of nipple discharge of unclear origin and intraductal proliferation. For this reason we compared its diagnostic value and feasibility to standard diagnostic methods...
- Detection of chromosomal aneusomy by fluorescence in situ hybridization for patients with nipple dischargeDaigo Yamamoto
Department of Surgery, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Cancer 97:690-4. 2003..Therefore, we studied the clinical usefulness of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) analysis of a numerical aberration of chromosomes (aneusomy) using ductal lavage from patients with nipple discharge...
- Ductography of the breast: technique and findingsG Cardenosa
Susan G Komen Breast Center, St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL 61614
AJR Am J Roentgenol 162:1081-7. 1994..In an effort to demonstrate the usefulness of ductography and encourage its increased use, we review the technique and illustrate normal and abnormal findings...
- Ductographic findings of breast cancerNariya Cho
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 6:31-6. 2005..In such cases, meticulous ductographic examinations and interpretations were crucial in order not to miss breast cancers...
- The relationship between positioning, the breastfeeding dynamic, the latching process and pain in breastfeeding mothers with sore nipplesAnna Blair
Healthy Children Project, 327 Quaker Meeting House Road, East Sandwich, MA 02537, USA
Breastfeed Rev 11:5-10. 2003..However, many mothers experience such painful sore nipples that they stop breastfeeding before they intended...
- The diagnostic value of nipple discharge cytology in 618 consecutive patientsB W Kooistra
Department of Surgery, Canisius Wilhelmina Ziekenhuis, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:573-7. 2009..Nevertheless, cytological examination is considered to be a diagnostic aid. The aim of this study was to determine its complementary value in clinical decision-making in patients presenting with ND...
- Failure of high risk women to produce nipple aspirate fluid does not exclude detection of cytologic atypia in random periareolar fine needle aspiration specimensPriyanka Sharma
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 87:59-64. 2004..Evidence of hyperplasia with atypia found both on random periareolar fine needle aspiration (RPFNA) and in nipple aspirate fluid (NAF) fluid are associated with an increased risk for breast cancer...
- Terminal duct lobular units are scarce in the nipple: implications for prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy: terminal duct lobular units in the nippleAlan J Stolier
Tulane University Department of Surgery and Omega Hospital, 2525 Severn Ave, New Orleans, LA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:438-42. 2008..There is evidence to suggest that ductal and lobular breast cancer arises in the terminal duct/lobular unit (TDLU). This study was undertaken to determine whether TDLUs exist in the nipple and if so, to what extent...
- Short-term breast cancer prediction by random periareolar fine-needle aspiration cytology and the Gail risk modelC J Fabian
Division of Clinical Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7820, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:1217-27. 2000....
- Polymerase chain reaction in detection of Candida albicans for confirmation of clinical diagnosis of nipple thrushMariana Panjaitan
Breastfeed Med 3:185-7. 2008
- Ductoscopic biopsy of papillary tumors in women with nipple dischargeMichael Hunerbein
Ann Surg 245:154-5. 2007
- Optimizing the total skin-sparing mastectomyAkushla Wijayanayagam
Carol Franc Buck Breast Care Center, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 1600 Divisidero St, Box 1710, San Francisco, CA 94115 1710, USA
Arch Surg 143:38-45; discussion 45. 2008..Dissection of subnipple tissue to spare the entire skin envelope of the breast (total skin-sparing mastectomy) is a feasible option in appropriately selected patients and yields an excellent final cosmetic outcome...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomyScott L Spear
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 123:1665-73. 2009..Over the past several years, it has become more widely accepted, especially in the setting of prophylactic mastectomy, but its role in the treatment of breast cancer has only recently been reexamined...
- Reduced expression of the PTH/PTHrP receptor during development of the mammary gland influences the function of the nipple during lactationTatsuya Kobayashi
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Dev Dyn 233:794-803. 2005..in Ppr expression permitted progression of mammary gland development beyond the induction stage, but the nipples of these mice were dramatically smaller than those of controls, with altered epidermis and connective tissue...
- The role of major duct excision and microdochectomy in the detection of breast carcinomaMary F Dillon
Department of Surgery, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
BMC Cancer 6:164. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine whether pre-operative factors can identify those patients that are most at risk of carcinoma...
- Areola-sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstructionRache M Simmons
Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, and Weill Cornell Breast Center, 425 East 61st Street, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Plast Surg 51:547-51. 2003..There was 1 postoperative complication, which consisted of a localized wound infection. Overall the authors found that ASM with immediate reconstruction provides excellent aesthetic results with infrequent complications...
- Lack of effect of celecoxib on prostaglandin E2 concentrations in nipple aspirate fluid from women at increased risk of breast cancerEdward R Sauter
Department of Surgery, University of Missouri Columbia, One Hospital Drive, Room M588, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1745-50. 2004..Among these, prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) has tumor growth-promoting activity. The COX-2 isoform is the primary enzyme involved in PGE(2) production in cancerous tissue...
- Patterns of reduced nipple aspirate fluid production and ductal lavage cellularity in women at high risk for breast cancerSusan A Higgins
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Breast Cancer Res 7:R1017-22. 2005..However, we observed a significantly lower proportion of fluid-yielding subjects in a similar series of high-risk women. The purpose of the present study was to identify variables associated with this reduction...
- Evaluating nipple dischargeAneela N Hussain
Department of Family Medicine, State University of New York Health Science Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Obstet Gynecol Surv 61:278-83. 2006..The evaluation and diagnosis of nipple discharge is important for the early detection of carcinoma, when present; and, in the case of benign disease, it is necessary to stop the incommodious discharge...
- [Characteristics, frequency and factors present in nipples damage occurence in lactating women]Gilcéria Tochika Shimoda
Enfermeira do Hospital Universitário da Universidade de São Paulo
Rev Bras Enferm 58:529-34. 2005..The most of women presented complete healing of lesion from 5 to 6 days postpartum, this indicate that this period of a week is critical, when the mother needs stimulation and follow-up to the maintainance of lactation...
- Diagnostic value of signs and symptoms of mammary candidosis among lactating womenJimi Francis-Morrill
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis 95616 8669, USA
J Hum Lact 20:288-95; quiz 296-9. 2004..Positive predictive value for Candida colonization was highest when there were 3 or more signs or symptoms simultaneously or when flaky or shiny skin of the nipple/areola was reported together or in combination with breast pain...
- Validation of subareolar and periareolar injection techniques for breast sentinel lymph node biopsyAnees Chagpar
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Arch Surg 139:614-8; discussion 618-20. 2004..Subareolar or periareolar injection of radioactive technetium sulfur colloid is equivalent to other injection techniques for breast cancer sentinel lymph node (SLN) biopsy...
- MR mammary ductography using a microscopy coil for assessment of intraductal lesionsYoshihide Kanemaki
Department of Radiology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, 2 16 1 Sugao, Miyamae ku, Kawasaki City, Kanagawa 216 8511, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:1340-2. 2004
- Breast sonography in localizing the cause of nipple discharge: comparison with galactography in 52 patientsTarja Rissanen
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
J Ultrasound Med 26:1031-9. 2007..The purpose of this study was to evaluate breast sonography in localizing abnormalities in the discharging duct in patients with spontaneous nipple discharge...
- Directed duct excision by using mammary ductoscopy in patients with pathologic nipple dischargeJill R Dietz
Departments of General Surgery and Biostatistics, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Surgery 132:582-7; discussion 587-8. 2002..Duct excision for pathologic nipple discharge (PND) often requires "blind" surgical resection. Intraoperative mammary ductoscopy can allow for direct visualization of intraductal abnormalities during surgical resection...
- Microdochectomy for single-duct pathologic nipple discharge and normal or benign imaging and cytologySophocles Lanitis
Breast Care Unit, Mary Stanford Wing, 5th Floor, St Mary s Hospital NHS Trust, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Breast 17:309-13. 2008..Pre-operative workup and imaging may not be suspicious in patients with single-duct PND and underlying malignancy, therefore, microdochectomy should be considered in such cases...
- A case-control study of mastitis: nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureusLisa H Amir
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Fam Pract 7:57. 2006..Mastitis is a common problem for breastfeeding women. Researchers have called for an investigation into the possible role of maternal nasal carriage of S. aureus in the causation of mastitis in breastfeeding women...
- Multi-volume fusion imaging of MR ductography and MR mammography for patients with nipple dischargeMasanori Hirose
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Showa University, Japan
Magn Reson Med Sci 5:105-12. 2006..We herein introduce and describe this noninvasive method and discuss various factors related to its diagnostic use...
- Mammary ductoscopy for the evaluation of nipple discharge and comparison with standard diagnostic techniquesSusanne Grunwald
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, and Clinic of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Evangelic Hospital Hubertus, Berlin, Germany
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:418-23. 2006..To describe performance of breast duct endoscopy and compare the method with conventional diagnostic techniques...
- Breast cancer risk in women with abnormal cytology in nipple aspirates of breast fluidM R Wrensch
Dept. of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medicine, Box 1215, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1791-8. 2001..3 to 3.3). CONCLUSION: The results obtained with the newly followed women independently confirmed previous findings that women with abnormal cytology in nipple aspirates of breast fluid have an increased risk of breast cancer...
- Celecoxib decreases prostaglandin E2 concentrations in nipple aspirate fluid from high risk postmenopausal women and women with breast cancerEdward R Sauter
Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
BMC Cancer 6:248. 2006..The endpoints of the current study were to determine if a short course of celecoxib 400 mg bid would decrease PGE2 levels in women 1) at increased breast cancer risk, and 2) with established breast cancer...
- Nipple thrushGraeme Dennerstein
Aust Fam Physician 32:392; author reply 392. 2003
- Androgen-mediated development in male rat offspring exposed to flutamide in utero: permanence and correlation of early postnatal changes in anogenital distance and nipple retention with malformations in androgen-dependent tissuesB S McIntyre
CIIT Centers for Health Research, Six Davis Drive, P. O. Box 12137, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2137, USA
Toxicol Sci 62:236-49. 2001..Flutamide-induced alterations in AGD and areolae/nipples in early postnatal life correlated with a reduction in AGD and retained nipples observed in the adult...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy in association with intra operative radiotherapy (ELIOT): A new type of mastectomy for breast cancer treatmentJean Yves Petit
Division of Plastic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 96:47-51. 2006..In fact, although removal of the NAC greatly increases the patient's sensation of mutilation, and the risk of tumor involvement of the areola is reported as a very variable percentage, NAC excision still remains the standard treatment...
- Significant differences in nipple aspirate fluid protein expression between healthy women and those with breast cancer demonstrated by time-of-flight mass spectrometryTimothy M Pawlik
Department of Surgical Oncology, Unit 444, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 89:149-57. 2005..Proteomic screening techniques such as SELDI-MS analysis of NAF may be useful for breast cancer screening and diagnosis...
- Identification of quantitative trait loci affecting reproduction in pigsJ P Cassady
Animal Science Department, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68583 0908, USA
J Anim Sci 79:623-33. 2001..in three replicates, for ovulation rate (n = 423), age at puberty (n = 295), litter size (n = 370), and number of nipples (n = 428). Litter-size data included number of fully formed, live, stillborn, and mummified pigs...
- Survival in breast cancer after nipple-sparing subcutaneous mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants: a prospective trial with 13 years median follow-up in 216 patientsK P Benediktsson
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:143-8. 2008..Validation of the oncological safety of nipple-sparing subcutaneous mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants (NSM) and of the outcome in patients with locoregional recurrences (LRRs) after this procedure...
- Biomarker assays in nipple aspirate fluidP Klein
Genetics Branch, CCR National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Breast J 7:378-87. 2001..This technique may facilitate the identification and application of biomarkers for future breast cancer risk assessment and chemopreventive protocols...
- Proteomic patterns of nipple aspirate fluids obtained by SELDI-TOF: potential for new biomarkers to aid in the diagnosis of breast cancerC P Paweletz
Tissue Proteomics Unit, Division of Therapeutic Proteins, CBER, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dis Markers 17:301-7. 2001....
- Proteomic analysis of nipple aspirate fluid using SELDI-TOF-MSEdward R Sauter
Department of Surgery, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Int J Cancer 114:791-6. 2005....
- Environmental antiandrogens: low doses of the fungicide vinclozolin alter sexual differentiation of the male ratL E Gray
Reproductive Toxicology Division, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 15:48-64. 1999..V) kg-1 day-1 during sexual differentiation in rats induces female-like anogenital distance (AGD), retained nipples, cleft phallus with hypospadias, suprainguinal ectopic scrota/testes, a vaginal pouch, epididymal granulomas, and ..
- Detection of breast cancer biomarkers in nipple aspirate fluid by SELDI-TOF and their identification by combined liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryJianbo He
Gonda UCLA Breast Cancer Research Laboratory, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Int J Oncol 30:145-54. 2007....
- Sonographically guided mammotome excision of ducts in the diagnosis and management of single duct nipple dischargeS Govindarajulu
Breast Care Centre, Frenchay Hospital, Frenchay Park Road, Bristol BS16 1LE, United Kingdom
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:725-8. 2006..To describe our experience in the use of ultrasound guided mammotome in the diagnosis and management of single duct nipple discharge...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: critical assessment of 51 procedures and implications for selection criteriaAnna M Voltura
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:3396-401. 2008..The cosmetic result and high patient satisfaction of nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) has prompted further evaluation of the oncologic safety of this procedure...
- Anatomy of the nipple and breast ducts revisitedSusan M Love
Department of General Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Cancer 101:1947-57. 2004..Increasing interest in the intraductal approach to the breast has necessitated revisiting the anatomy of the breast...
- Impaired nipple development and parturition in LGR7 knockout miceMagda A M Krajnc-Franken
N V Organon, Department of Pharmacology, 5340 BH Oss, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Biol 24:687-96. 2004..Moreover, a defect in parturition was observed, suggesting a role for LGR7 in the process of cervical ripening...
- Keratin 2e: a marker for murine nipple epidermisBryon Mahler
Medical Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 176:169-77. 2004..The lack of appendages, altered stratification pattern and expression of a specialized keratin suggests that the murine nipple is an example of regionally specialized epidermis...
- History, physical and laboratory findings, and clinical outcomes of lactating women treated with antibiotics for chronic breast and/or nipple painAnne Eglash
University of Wisconsin Medical School, Meriter Hospital Outpatient Lactation Clinic, Mt Horeb, Wisconsin 53572, USA
J Hum Lact 22:429-33. 2006..Symptoms of deep breast aching, breast tenderness on palpation, and nipple lesions may be suggestive of a bacterial lactiferous duct infection. Treatment with antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks may be appropriate...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy update: one hundred forty-nine procedures and clinical outcomesJoseph P Crowe
Department of General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, A80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Surg 143:1106-10; discussion 1110. 2008..To describe our experience with patients who underwent the nipple-sparing mastectomy procedure developed and standardized at our institution and to report clinical outcomes for those patients with a breast cancer diagnosis...
- Mitochondrial DNA mutations in breast cancer tissue and in matched nipple aspirate fluidWeizhu Zhu
Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, Department of Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Carcinogenesis 26:145-52. 2005..The high frequency of mtDNA mutations at polymorphic loci requires further investigation. Specific mtDNA mutations can be detected in a subset of NAF samples from women with breast cancer...
- Total skin-sparing mastectomy: complications and local recurrence rates in 2 cohorts of patientsElisabeth R Garwood
Department of Surgery, Carol Franc Buck Breast Care Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Ann Surg 249:26-32. 2009..We sought to define the impact of surgical and reconstructive variables on complication rates and assess how changes in technique affect outcomes...
- Role of the size of the pedicle in reduction mammaplastyWiktoria Hefter
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University Hospital of Northern Norway, Styrmannsveien 30, NO 9014 Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 40:13-8. 2006..Twenty-four patients were relieved of pain and 83 reported improvement in their work and social life after operation. There were 47 women who were very satisfied and 33 who were satisfied with the results (total 80/101)...
- Correlation of nipple aspiration and ductal lavage cytology with histopathologic findings for patients before scheduled breast biopsy examinationKristine E West
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S 1st Ave, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Surg 191:57-60. 2006..The purpose of this study was to correlate ductal lavage cytologic findings with the corresponding histology...
- Practical guidelines for repair of partial mastectomy defects using the breast reduction technique in patients undergoing breast conservation therapySteven J Kronowitz
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1755-68. 2007..The authors previously compared the local tissue rearrangement, breast reduction, and latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction techniques for repairing partial mastectomy defects and showed the benefits of breast reduction...
- Immediate prosthetic breast reconstruction: the ensured subpectoral pocket (ESP)Hugo D Loustau
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, University of Buenos Aires, School of Medicine, Gascon 450 C1181ACH, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:1233-8. 2007..It allows the setting of bigger implants without previous tissue expansion while preventing implant displacement. In addition, it reduces emotional trauma on patients and lowers surgical costs...
- Can nipple-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction with modified extended latissimus dorsi muscular flap improve the cosmetic and functional outcome of patients with breast cancer?Florian Fitzal
World J Surg 32:499; author reply 500-1. 2008
- Oncological and aesthetic considerations of skin-sparing mastectomyNeill Patani
London Breast Institute, The Princess Grace Hospital, London, W1U 5NY, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 111:391-403. 2008..Controversies including the impact of radiotherapy (RT) on immediate breast reconstruction (IBR), preservation of the nipple-areola complex (NAC) and the role of endoscopic mastectomy are also considered...
- The Effect of Black Cohosh Extract on the Human BreastEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings should allow us to design a high quality R01 submission involving a larger, randomized study of longer duration which should provide some answers on the potential role of BCE in breast cancer. ..
- Prevention of Overfeeding During InfancyKathryn G Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Infants will be randomized to the novel nipple or the conventional nipple, and a supply of bottles and nipples will be provided to the mother. Biweekly contact will be maintained with the mother throughout the study...
- Baby bottles that release no chemicals having estrogenic activitySTUART YANIGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..I, PPi will confirm preliminary data that that it is feasible to develop EA-Free silicones to manufacture EA-Free nipples for baby bottles...
- Breastmilk Transmission of HIV: Virology, Pharmacokinetics, and Adherence in BANSusan A Fiscus; Fiscal Year: 2010..Possible causes of increases in VL include breast problems (e.g. mastitis or cracked nipples), febrile illnesses, non-adherence to the treatment regimens, or poor bioavailability of the antiretrovirals...
- Feeding of Infants with Single Ventricle Heart Disease: Physiology and BehaviorBritt Frisk Pados; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to better understand what happens to these children when they are breastfed or fed using two different bottle nipples that offer different rates of milk flow...
- 3-D Computer Modeling for Optimizing Body Image following Breast ReconstructionMia K Markey; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., through automatic localization of fiducial points, i.e., anatomical landmarks such as nipples, sternal notch, etc.)...
- Development of a Breast Feeding Appliance for Infants with Cleft Lip and PalateAndrew Jardine; Fiscal Year: 2006..be near impossible or certainly impractical to perform, and as a result the infants are bottle-fed with modified nipples. Expressed milk is then used to allow for the transfer of the mother's milk, which is generally acknowledged ..
- Neuron Phenotype Changes During LactationGloria Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal will determine if the pathways from the nipples to the hypothalamus initially regulate the TIDA neurons through a stimulatory relay in the peripenduncular n...
- SPINOHYPOTHALAMIC AND SPINOTELENCEPHALIC TRACTSGLENN GIESLER; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will also test the hypothesis that SHT neurons are capable of providing sensory information originating in the nipples to hypothalamic neurons involved in the milk-ejection reflex...
- SUCKING DEVICE FOR FEEDING OF LOW-BIRTHWEIGHT INFANTSBarbara Medoff Cooper; Fiscal Year: 1993..The present work is directed to developing specialized nipples and associated analysis software for studying the feeding behavior, development of sucking and swallowing of ..
- Protein Profiling in Nipple Aspirate FluidEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Breast Cancer Prediction Using Nipple Aspirate FluidEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Altered Breast Methylation after Low/Hi Dose IsoflavonesEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- CHARACTERIZING SPECIALIZED CHEMOSENSORY NEURONSSTEVEN MUNGER; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, GC-D transgenic mice will be used to examine the ability of neonates to attach to nipples and suckle.
- DIETARY INTERVENTION--WOMEN HIGH RISK FOR BREAST CANCERZora Djuric; Fiscal Year: 2002..The use of biomarkers will allow to evaluate the cancer-protective effects of dietary modulation over a relatively short period of time. ..
- WEIGHT LOSS IN OBESE BREAST CANCER SURVIVORSZora Djuric; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study should be useful to determine certain psychosocial are associated with extent of weight loss, and in turn whether weight loss is associated with changes in selected markers of breast cancer risk. ..
- Mechanisms of Female Urinary Incontinence in DiabetesMargot Damaser; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Computer-Aided Detection of Pulmonary Embolism on CT Pulmonary AngiographyChuan Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2007..CAD will potentially reduce missed PEs and improve the chance of timely treatment of patients, thus reducing the mortality rate and speed up recovery from this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Lycopene on High-Risk Prostatic TissuePeter Gann; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Breast Cancer Prevention by Letrozole in High Risk WomenCarol J Fabian; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neoadjuvant Cytokine Immunotherapy by PLA MicrospheresMichael Sabel; Fiscal Year: 2007..I will pursue this area of investigation as a full-time faculty member, with full commitment from the Department of General Surgery and the Division of Surgical Oncology at the University of Michigan Medical Center. ..
- Breast Cancer Risk Biomarkers and Energy BalanceCAROL FABIAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Primary Hormonal Therapy for DCIS of the BreastEUN SIL HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2008..If patients could safely be spared from cancer progression while avoiding the morbidity of surgery and radiation for DCIS, the full benefit of early breast cancer detection could be realized. ..
- ROLE OF THE CELL CYCLE IN HYPERSENSITIVITY TO ESTRADIOLRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 2008..A clinical trial in women, which is designed to specifically demonstrate that high dose estrogen induces tumor regression through the mechanism of apoptosis will be conducted. ..
- FlaxSeed Lignan for Breast Cancer ChemopreventionCAROL FABIAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..If positive, the results of this study will be critical to the design and implementation of a placebo-controlled Phase II prevention trial with Brevail and/or commercial flaxseed. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The 3rd Intraductal Approach to Breast Cancer SymposiumSusan Love; Fiscal Year: 2003..We are confident that this conference will have a positive impact on the direction and success of future learning and research using the Intraductal approach in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of breast cancer. ..
- WHO MULTICENTER GROWTH REFERENCE STUDY: U.S. SITEKathryn Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2002..The data will be pooled by WHO to create a new growth reference, applicable to all infants and children internationally. ..
- Genetic Susceptibility to Infection Related CancerIkuko Kato; Fiscal Year: 2005..Secondary aims include to examine histopathological correlates of these polymorphisms and to determine whether selected environmental factors modify the above associations. ..
- BREAST CANCER STAGING WITH MRI PRIOR RE-EXCISIONSusan Orel; Fiscal Year: 2001..Correlation of MRI, mammographic, clinical, and pathological findings will generate a profile of patients at risk for occult, diffuse or multifocal disease who should undergo MRI prior to treatment recommendation. ..
- The 4th Intraductal Approach to Breast Cancer SymposiumSusan Love; Fiscal Year: 2005..Grants will be awarded at the end of the conference. We have found that this program design is most effective at increasing collaboration and ensuring that the research being done has the best chance for success. ..
- Hormonal Regulation of the Cervix During PregnancyORRIN SHERWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2006..Treatment with RU 486 alone and in combination with exogenous relaxin will be done at term with relaxin-deficient rats. ..
- CHEMOPREVENTION FOR WOMEN AT HIGH RISK OF BREAST CANCERCAROL FABIAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The answer impacts on the entire future of breast cancer chemoprevention development efforts. ..
- The Breast Cancer 101 ConferenceSusan Love; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, the partnership with the California BCRP and collaboration with Think Tank members further insures that the planning and carry-through for this conference will be done at the highest level. ..
- Bioinformatics for Protein MicroarraysRichard Zangar; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Fourth International Conf. on Relaxin & Related PeptidesORRIN SHERWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2004..Conference web site: http://www.life.uiuc.edu/relaxin2004/ ..
- Luminal Lipid Exposure, Genetics and Colon Cancer RiskIkuko Kato; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, accumulated dietary data and biological specimens will serve as an important resource for future research on other nutrient-gene interactions. ..
- Nutritional Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes in the Multiethnic CohortGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF INCONTINENCE FOLLOWING VAGINAL DISTENSIONMargot S Damaser; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- 5th International Symposium on the Intraductal Approach to Breast CancerSusan Love; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF XENOBIOTIC-METABOLIZING CYP3ARichard Zangar; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- The 2nd Santa Barbara Think Tank: The Normal BreastSusan Love; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, the experienced members of the Think Tank planning committee further insures that the planning and carry-through for this conference will be done at the highest level. ..
- DETERMINANTS OF TISSUE ESTRADIOL SENSITIVITYRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 2009..FTS, a novel mTOR inhibitor will be used in vitro to activate the stress kinase pathway and apoptosis. In vivo, FTS will be used to enhance estradiol induced apoptosis in nude mice. ..
- Effects of Soy on Estrogens in Breast Fluid and UrineGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2010..The NAF approach is the only way to learn more about the beneficial and adverse effects of soy directly in the female breast without applying invasive procedures to women without breast disease or surgery. ..
- Soy Consumption and Breast Tissue ProliferationGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Breast Density, IGF-I, & Prolactin, in Four PopulationsGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2004..The statistical analysis will include mixed models to explore the relation between hormone levels and breast density while controlling for confounders and for clustering by study location. ..
- NESTED CASE CONTROL STUDY OF MAMMOGRAPHIC DENSITYGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Microarray Analysis of WoundsAMY COLWELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize these genes can be used to modulate the biology of adult wound healing. This first step will form our basis for developing treatment to induce scarless healing. ..
- Inflammatory Markers in a 2-Year Soy Intervention among Premenopausal WomenGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..The statistical analysis will apply general linear models to compare the levels of inflammatory markers by soy intake, while taking into account the repeated measurement design. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phantoms for use in US and MR Elasticity ImagingERNEST MADSEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Refined heterogeneous performance phantoms and anthropomorphic phantoms will be developed iteratively with assessments and advice from collaborators who are active researchers in ultrasound and MR elastography. ..
- MARKERS OF HUMAN INFECTION WITH BOVINE LEUKEMIA VIRUSGERTRUDE BUEHRING; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..