- Trunk muscle responses to suddenly applied loads: do individuals who develop discomfort during prolonged standing respond differently?
Diane E Gregory
Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3G1
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:495-502. 2008
Individuals with low back pain or injury (LBP/LBI) have been shown to display altered muscle responses to trunk perturbations; however it is unclear whether these observations are a cause or a result of the LBP/LBI. In this study, a 6...
- Spinal cord stimulation versus conventional medical management for neuropathic pain: a multicentre randomised controlled trial in patients with failed back surgery syndrome
Department of Neurosurgery, Regina General Hospital, 1440 14th Avenue, Regina, Sask, Canada
Pain 132:179-88. 2007
Patients with neuropathic pain secondary to failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) typically experience persistent pain, disability, and reduced quality of life...
- Clinical spinal instability and low back pain
Manohar M Panjabi
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 13:371-9. 2003
Clinical instability is an important cause of low back pain...
- The role of back muscle endurance, maximum force, balance and trunk rotation control regarding lifting capacity
Institute of Hygiene and Applied Physiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:146-56. 2006
..Seventy-four female subjects without acute low back pain underwent an examination of their lifting capacities and the following basic functions: (1) strength and ..
- Electromyographic median frequency changes during isometric contraction of the back extensors to fatigue
A F Mannion
Comparative Orthopaedic Research Unit, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1223-9. 1994
STUDY DESIGN. This was a cross-sectional study involving 229 healthy, back pain-free individuals. OBJECTIVES...
- Predictors of isokinetic back muscle strength in patients with low back pain
Department of Physical Medicine, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:275-80. 1999
STUDY DESIGN: Testing for trunk muscle strength was performed on 105 patients with chronic low back pain. OBJECTIVES: To investigate prediction of isokinetic back muscle strength in patients with low back pain...
- Back muscle strength and spinal mobility are predictors of quality of life in middle-aged and elderly males
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai cho Showa ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Eur Spine J 20:954-61. 2011
..the simultaneous effects of degenerative changes on radiograph, spinal range of motion (ROM), sagittal balance, and back muscle strength, and examine the influence of these effects on QOL of the middle-aged and elderly male subjects...
- Active therapy for chronic low back pain part 1. Effects on back muscle activation, fatigability, and strength
A F Mannion
Schulthess Klinik Zurich, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:897-908. 2001
Randomized prospective study of the effects of three types of active therapy on back muscle function in chronic low back pain patients.
- Effects of trunk position on back surface-contour measured by raster stereophotography
Xue C Liu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 31:402-6. 2002
A study of the contour of the surface of the back was conducted using the Quantec spinal image system (QSIS; raster stereophotography) and the Vicon 3-dimensional (3-D) motion analysis system with a plaster model of the scoliotic spine...
- Extensive reorganization of primary somatosensory cortex in chronic back pain patients
Department of Psychology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Neurosci Lett 224:5-8. 1997
..The hypothesis of reorganization of the primary somatosensory cortex in states of chronic pain was assessed in 10 low back pain patients and nine matched healthy controls...
- Anatomy and biomechanics of the back muscles in the lumbar spine with reference to biomechanical modeling
Institute of Medical Anatomy, Biomech and Motor Control, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1888-99. 2006
This article describes the development of a musculoskeletal model of the human lumbar spine with focus on back muscles. It includes data from literature in a structured form.
- Disability and back muscle fatigability changes following two therapeutic exercise interventions in participants with recurrent low back pain
Paul S Sung
Department of Physical Therapy, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Med Sci Monit 19:40-8. 2013
The level of disability and endurance of back muscles have been investigated, but there is conflicting evidence following specific exercise interventions for participants with recurrent low back pain (LBP)...
- Sensory innervation of the thoracolumbar fascia in rats and humans
Department of General Internal and Psychosomatic Medicine, Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Neuroscience 194:302-8. 2011
..Therefore, the role of the fascia as a potential source of pain in the low back is difficult to assess...
- The effect of dynamic strength back exercise and/or a home training program in 57-year-old women with chronic low back pain. Results of a prospective randomized study with a 3-year follow-up period
Department of Rheumatology, Lund University, University Hospital, , Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:1494-500. 1997
STUDY DESIGN: A prospective, randomized investigation. OBJECTIVES: To compare the effect of dynamic strength back muscle training with that of a home training program and to evaluate the long-term effect of the home training program in ..
- The effect of frontpacks, shoulder bags and handheld bags on 3D back shape and posture in young university students: an ISIS2 study
Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK
Stud Health Technol Inform 176:117-21. 2012
..been shown to cause significant postural adaptations that can lead to injuries in the shoulder, arms, hands and back. Whilst backpacks have been well researched, there is a paucity of literature on the effects of frontpacks, ..
- Stretching of the back improves gait, mechanical sensitivity and connective tissue inflammation in a rodent model
Sarah M Corey
Department of Neurology, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29831. 2012
The role played by nonspecialized connective tissues in chronic non-specific low back pain is not well understood...
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging of cerebral activation during spinal cord stimulation in failed back surgery syndrome patients
Charles University Prague, Department of Normal, Pathological and Clinical Physiology, Third Faculty of Medicine, Ke Karlovu 4, 12000 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Eur J Pain 12:137-48. 2008
..pain, we performed functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) on eight patients suffering from failed back surgery syndrome who were also being treated with SCS for severe pain in their legs and lower back...
- Preventive measures of back muscle injury after posterior lumbar spine surgery in rats
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan zenjims toyama mpu ac jp
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:2282-7; discussion 2288. 1998
STUDY DESIGN: Postoperative back muscle injury was studied in rats...
- Paraparesis due to spinal leiomyosarcoma lesion in the thoracic spine accompanied by two leiomyosarcoma lesions in the back and the thigh over an interval of 4 years
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kurashiki Central Hospital, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 9:325-8. 2002
We present an 83-year-old man who developed three different leiomyosarcoma lesions in the thigh, back, and thoracic spine. The pathology of the thigh tumour was pleomorphic leiomyosarcoma...
- Back posture education in elementary schoolchildren: a 2-year follow-up study
Department of Movement and Sports Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Eur Spine J 16:841-50. 2007
Within the scope of primary prevention regarding back functioning in children, research on the stability of intervention effects is indispensable...
- Assessment of the validity of the Biering-Sørensen test for measuring back muscle fatigue based on EMG median frequency characteristics of back and hip muscles
RAMIT vzw, c o Department of Medical Informatics and Statistics, Ghent University Hospital, Building K3, 5th Floor, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:997-1005. 2008
The aims of the present study were (1) to investigate the differences in median frequency characteristics between back and hip muscles of healthy subjects during a Biering-Sørensen test, (2) to determine if the Biering-Sørensen test is ..
- Measurement of the back fat layer in beagles for estimation of obesity using two-dimensional ultrasonography
Veterinary Internal Medicine 2, Rakuno Gakuen University, Ebetsu, Japan
J Small Anim Pract 42:56-9. 2001
..The depth and area of the back fat layer at these locations were closely related to the degree of obesity.
- Combined impact of concomitant arthritis and back problems on health status: results from a nationally representative health survey
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63:1584-91. 2011
To investigate whether people who report both arthritis and back problems report poorer health outcomes than those who have either condition alone.
- Back muscle fatigue during intermittent prone back extension exercise
Institut de recherche Robert Sauve en sante et en securite du travail IRSST, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Scand J Med Sci Sports 14:221-30. 2004
The purpose of this study was to estimate the level of muscular activation and muscle fatigue of the low back muscles during the performance of an intermittent prone back extension (PBE) exercise...
- Heteropagus twinning on back -- a case report
Dr BC Roy Memorial Hospital for Children, Kolkata 700054
J Indian Med Assoc 109:514-5. 2011
..It was attached to the back of the host by a broad pedicle...
- A novel system for the dynamic assessment of back shape
William R Taylor
Julius Wolff Institute, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Centrum für Sportwissenschaften und Sportmedizin Berlin, Philippstr 13, Haus 11, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
Med Eng Phys 32:1080-3. 2010
Low back pain can be exacerbated by poor posture, particularly over extended stationary periods such as when sitting or standing...
- The impact of breast reduction surgery on low-back compressive forces and function in individuals with macromastia
K Bo Foreman
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:1393-9. 2009
Macromastia can be a morbid condition causing affected women to endure shoulder pain, back pain, intertrigo, and shoulder grooving from the bra straps. Subjective symptoms are effectively relieved by reduction mammaplasty surgery...
- Estrogen receptor 2 expression in back muscles of girls with idiopathic scoliosis - relation to radiological parameters
Department of Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology, University of Medical Sciences Poznań, Poland
Stud Health Technol Inform 176:59-62. 2012
..Estrogen acts through estrogen receptors: ESR1 and ESR2. There are no studies describing ESR2 expression in back muscles in girls with idiopathic scoliosis...
- Creep and fatigue development in the low back in static flexion
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1873-8. 2009
In vivo measurements of low back flexion posture and muscle activity before, during, and after static flexion.
- Statistical modelling of fatigue-related electromyographic median frequency characteristics of back and hip muscles during a standardized isometric back extension test
P L M Coorevits
Pascal Coorevits, Ghent University, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, University Hospital Building K3 6th Floor, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 15:444-51. 2005
..logarithmic, quadratic or exponential - best described the fatigue-related electromyographic (EMG) changes of back and hip muscles. Twenty healthy volunteers performed a modified Biering-Sorensen test...
- Concordance of back surface asymmetry and spine shape in idiopathic scoliosis
I A Stokes
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, Burlington
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:73-8. 1989
..For correctly identified curves, the greatest back surface rotation was, on average, 1.0 vertebral levels below the skeletal curve apex in the thoracic region and 0...
- Determinants of isokinetic and psychophysical lifting strength and static back muscle endurance: a study of male monozygotic twins
L E Gibbons
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2983-90. 1997
..OBJECTIVES: To determine the relative contributions of anthropometric factors, physical activity, back and neck pain, overall health, and familial aggregation (the combined effects of genetics and childhood environment)..
- Rasterstereographic analysis of axial back surface rotation in standing versus forward bending posture in idiopathic scoliosis
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemeine Orthopädie, Universitätsklinik Münster, Munster, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:1144-9. 2006
..In a pilot study the influence of leg length inequalities on the back shape of five normal subjects was clarified...
- Long-term electromyographic activity in upper trapezius and low back muscles of women with moderate physical activity
Paul Jarle Mork
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7491 Trondheim, Norway
J Appl Physiol 99:570-8. 2005
The habitual activity patterns of trapezius and postural back muscles (multifidus, iliocostalis, longissimus) of 23 female subjects with moderate physical activity were studied...
- Surface EMG of shoulder and back muscles and posture analysis in secretaries typing at visual display units
B U Kleine
Motor Research Group, Institute of Pathophysiology, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, D 07740 Jena, Germany
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 72:387-94. 1999
A study was carried out to investigate temporal changes of activation of shoulder and back muscles in workers at visual display units by means of surface EMG...
- Effects of a two-school-year multifactorial back education program in elementary schoolchildren
Department of Movement and Sports Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1965-73. 2006
..A quasi-experimental pre/post design...
- Detecting local twitch responses of myofascial trigger points in the lower-back muscles using ultrasonography
Dong Wook Rha
Department and Research Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 92:1576-1580.e1. 2011
To evaluate the role of ultrasonography for detecting local twitch responses (LTRs) of myofascial trigger points (MTrPs) in deeply located lower-back muscles.
- Altered patterns of superficial trunk muscle activation during sitting in nonspecific chronic low back pain patients: importance of subclassification
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2017-23. 2006
A cross-sectional comparative study between healthy controls and two subgroups of nonspecific chronic low back pain (LBP) patients.
- Validity of pressure pain thresholds in female workers with and without recurrent low back pain
Centre for Organisational and Occupational Health Science, Unit Physiology of Empowerment at Work, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 16:267-75. 2007
Recurrent low back pain (LBP) is a common pain condition in elderly workers in a variety of occupations, but little is known about its origin and the mechanisms leading to an often disabling sensation of pain that may be persistent or ..
- The failed back surgery syndrome: reasons, intraoperative findings, and long-term results: a report of 182 operative treatments
E W Fritsch
Orthopaedic University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:626-33. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective study was performed of 182 revisions on failed back surgery syndrome from the years 1965 to 1990...
- The mechanics of back-extensor torque production about the lumbar spine
Biomechanics and Motor Control Laboratory, Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Biomech 36:815-25. 2003
The purpose of this study was to develop and evaluate a biomechanical model of lumbar back extension over a wide range of positions for the lumbar spine, incorporating the latest information on muscle geometry and intra-abdominal pressure ..
- Back extension endurance and strength: the effect of variable-angle roman chair exercise training
Joe L Verna
U S Spine and Sport Foundation, San Diego, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:1772-7. 2002
..A pre- and postintervention randomized, controlled trial was conducted...
- The physiological and psychological effects of slow-stroke back massage and hand massage on relaxation in older people
College of Nursing, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
J Clin Nurs 19:917-26. 2010
..This review examines the physiological and psychological effects of slow-stroke back massage and hand massage on relaxation in older people and identifies effective protocols for massage in older ..
- Spontaneous motor rhythms of the back and legs in a patient with a complete spinal cord transection
Multidisciplinary Team in Locomotor Rehabilitation After Spinal Cord Injury and Stroke, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 24:377-83. 2010
..Spontaneous activity originating from the spinal cord has been sporadically reported in humans...
- An unusual penetrating injury in an infant: straight-pin migration from the back to the stomach
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 41:1332-4. 2006
..An 11-month-old infant is presented for straight-pin migration into the abdomen with penetration from the back and through the left diaphragm, spleen, and stomach...
- Dual electrode spinal cord stimulation in chronic leg and back pain
N G Rainov
Department of Neurosurgery, Central Clinic Augsburg, Augsburg, Germany
Acta Neurochir Suppl 97:85-9. 2007
Patients with chronic back and leg pain (CBLP) suffer from a disabling spinal condition of multifactorial origin and are often resistant to medical therapy...
- Reliability of EMG spectral parameters in repeated measurements of back muscle fatigue
Department of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 9:235-43. 1999
..The reliability of subjective fatigue ratings of the back muscles (Borg CR-10 scale) and of maximal trunk extension torque (MVC) was also investigated...
- Continuous assessment of back stress (CABS): a new method to quantify low-back stress in jobs with variable biomechanical demands
G A Mirka
Department of Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7906, USA
Hum Factors 42:209-25. 2000
Jobs with a high degree of variability in manual materials handling requirements expose limitations in current low-back injury risk assessment tools and emphasize the need for a probabilistic representation of the biomechanical stress in ..
- Paid and unpaid work, and its relation to low back and neck/shoulder disorders among women
Section of Personal Injury Prevention, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Women Health 37:17-30. 2003
..of total work hours, paid work in the labor market and unpaid work in the family domain, on care-seeking for low back and neck/shoulder disorders in the female population...
- Hindlimb suspension inhibits air-righting due to altered recruitment of neck and back muscles in rats
School of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka University, Toyonaka City, Osaka, 560 0043 Japan
Jpn J Physiol 54:229-42. 2004
..time was accompanied by lowered activities of electromyogram (EMG) and altered recruitment of both neck and back muscles at a specific stage of drop...
- Counting moles automatically from back images
Tim K Lee
School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1966-9. 2005
..have developed an unsupervised algorithm for segmenting and counting moles from two-dimensional color images of the back torso region, as part of a study to evaluate the effectiveness of sunscreen...
- Surface electromyography of the paravertebral muscles in patients with chronic low back pain
Department of Trauma, Hand and Plastic Surgery, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:31-6. 2005
To investigate the differences in the electromyographic signals of patients with chronic low back pain (CLBP) and healthy subjects.
- [Low back load and satisfaction rating of caregivers & care receivers in bathing assistance given in a nursing home for the elderly practicing individual care]
Life and Hygiene Division, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Japan
Sangyo Eiseigaku Zasshi 49:54-8. 2007
..Therefore, in a nursing home for the elderly practicing the individual bathing assistance method, we explored low back load using surface electromyography and trunk inclination angle measurement...
- The association between back pain and trunk posture of workers in a special school for the severe handicaps
Kelvin C H Wong
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:43. 2009
..The present study aims to determine the time spent in different static trunk postures during a typical working day of workers in a special school for the severe handicaps...
- Reflex pathways connect receptors in the human lower leg to the erector spinae muscles of the lower back
J M Clair
Human Neurophysiology Laboratory, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, E 488 Van Vliet Centre, AB, Canada
Exp Brain Res 196:217-27. 2009
..we tested the hypothesis that reflexes also link sensory receptors in the lower leg with muscles of the lower back (erector spinae; ES)...
- Training can modify back muscle response to sudden trunk loading
Mogens Theisen Pedersen
Institute of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Nørre Allé 51, 2200 N Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Spine J 13:548-52. 2004
Sudden, unexpected loading to the trunk has been reported in the literature as a potential cause of low-back disorders...
- Effects of reducing resistance, repetitions, and frequency of back-strengthening exercise in healthy young women: a pilot study
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1299-303. 2005
To determine the effects of reducing intensity or frequency of back-strengthening exercise on back extensor strength.
- The influence of non-specific low back pain on pressure pain thresholds and disability
Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Physical Education and Physical Therapy, Vrije Universiteit, Laarbeeklaan 103, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pain 9:375-81. 2005
..PPTs) with respect to the Erector spinae and the hip muscles in 87 patients with subacute non-specific low back pain (LBP) and to evaluate the relationship between the PPTs and disability...
- Different parts of erector spinae muscle fatigability in subjects with and without low back pain
Paul S Sung
Department of Physical Therapy, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Spine J 9:115-20. 2009
..These muscles have very different mechanical responses and, therefore, would be recruited differentially for the chosen task...
- External perturbation of the trunk in standing humans differentially activates components of the medial back muscles
G Lorimer Moseley
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
J Physiol 547:581-7. 2003
During voluntary arm movements, the medial back muscles are differentially active...
- Back muscle strength and fatigue in healthy and chronic low back pain subjects: a comparative study of 3 assessment protocols
Rubens A da Silva
School of Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, QC, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:722-9. 2005
To compare the sensitivity of 3 different back test protocols in measuring differences in strength and fatigue between subjects with and without chronic low back pain (CLBP).
- Melanoma, past severe sunburns and multiple solar lentigines of the upper back and shoulders
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Reims, France
Dermatology 216:330-6. 2008
Multiple solar lentigines of the upper back and shoulders (MSLBS) have recently been demonstrated as being associated with intense sunburns in the past.
- Effects of the mechanical load on forward bending motion of the trunk: comparison between patients with motion-induced intermittent low back pain and healthy subjects
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University, School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E73-8. 2007
Postural changes and trunk muscle activities were examined in patients with motion-induced intermittent low back pain (MILBP) and healthy controls.
- Back muscle fatigability is associated with knee extensor inhibition in subjects with low back pain
Human Performance Laboratory, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:E361-6. 2001
Cross-sectional study of 25 male golfers with chronic low back pain and 16 healthy controls of similar age.
- Cutaneous bronchogenic cyst of the back: a case report and review of the literature
N J Tresser
Division of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Pediatr Pathol 14:207-12. 1994
..We report a case of a bronchogenic cyst occurring on the back. The differential diagnosis includes branchial cleft cyst, thyroglossal duct cyst, cutaneous ciliated cyst, and ..
- Influence of knee angle and individual flexibility on the flexion-relaxation response of the low back musculature
Department of Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:485-94. 2004
..g. agriculture and construction) workers are asked to maintain static flexed postures of the low back for extended periods of time...
- Relation between functional characteristics of the trunk and the occurrence of low back pain. Associated risk factors
D F Masset
, , Bruxelles, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:359-65. 1998
..personal and anthropometric characteristics, and static and dynamic performance of the trunk) and incidence of low back pain in a population of male Belgian steel workers...
- Signet-ring cell carcinoma of unknown primary location. Metastatic to lower back musculature - remission following FU/FA chemotherapy
Department of Medicine B, University of Munster
Z Gastroenterol 40:33-6. 2002
..After 2 years of follow up, metastatic recurrence was detected to the lower back musculature...
- Differences in thoracic kyphosis and in back muscle strength in women with bone loss due to osteoporosis
Department of Rehabilitation, Academy of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:241-6. 2005
- Reliability difference between spectral and entropic measures of erector spinae muscle fatigability
Paul S Sung
Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Science, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 20:25-30. 2010
This study investigated back muscle fatigability of the erector spinae (ES) muscles during submaximal contractions with the use of surface electromyography (sEMG)...
- Assessment of lower-back muscle fatigue using electromyography, mechanomyography, and near-infrared spectroscopy
Laboratory of Human Performance, Department of Human Health Sciences, Waseda University, 2-579-15 Mikazima Tokorozawa, 359-1192, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 84:174-9. 2001
We have investigated the etiology of lower-back muscle fatigue using simultaneous recordings of electromyography (EMG), mechanomyography (MMG), and near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in an attempt to shed some light on the ..
- An ergonomic approach to reducing back/shoulder stress in hospital nursing personnel: a five year follow up
Bernice D Owen
School of Nursing, University of Wisconsin Madison, 600 Highland Avenue H6 242, Madison, WI 53792 2455, USA
Int J Nurs Stud 39:295-302. 2002
..Eighteen months after ergonomic interventions, the back and shoulder injuries were reduced, and the lost workdays and restricted/transitional days were decreased...
- Decoupling of bilateral paraspinal excitation in subjects with low back pain
M D Grabiner
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Applied Therapeutics, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:1219-23. 1992
This study compared bilateral paraspinal excitation in normal subjects and subjects with low back pain...
- Prediction of future low levels of sickness absence among young persons sick listed with back, neck, or shoulder diagnoses
Division of Social Medicine and Public Health, Department of Health and Society, Linkopings Universitet, Sweden
Work 23:159-67. 2004
..an 11-year prospective cohort study of young persons n = 213) who in 1985 were sick listed > or = 28 days with back, neck, or shoulder diagnoses...
- The influence of head and neck position on kinematics of the back in riding horses at the walk and trot
Department of Anatomy, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Equine Vet J 37:7-11. 2005
A common opinion among riders and in the literature is that the positioning of the head and neck influences the back of the horse, but this has not yet been measured objectively.
- Musculoskeletal problems of the neck, shoulder, and back and functional consequences in nurses
Alison M Trinkoff
Department of Behavioral and Community Health, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Ind Med 41:170-8. 2002
..Though musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are highly prevalent among registered nurses (RNs), little is known about functional consequences of MSDs in nurses...
- Effects of back posture education on elementary schoolchildren's back function
Department of Movement and Sports Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Eur Spine J 16:829-39. 2007
The possible effects of back education on children's back function were never evaluated. Therefore, main aim of the present study was to evaluate the effects of back education in elementary schoolchildren on back function parameters...
- Backpacks, back pain, sagittal spinal curves and trunk alignment in adolescents: a logistic and multinomial logistic analysis
Orthopaedic Department, Spine Unit, General Hospital Agios Andreas Patras, Greece
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:247-55. 2005
..Cross-sectional study using logistic and multinomial logistic analysis...
- Diffuse neurofibroma on the lower back
E J van Zuuren
Department of Dermatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:938-40. 2003
..This tumor presents most often in the head and neck region. We have seen a young girl with a diffuse neurofibroma on the lower back that was successfully excised.
- Differentiating temporal electromyographic waveforms between those with chronic low back pain and healthy controls
C L Hubley-Kozey
Motion Analysis Laboratory, School of Physiotherapy, Dalhousie University, 5869 University Avenue, Halifax, NS, Canada B3J 3H5
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 17:621-9. 2002
Temporal activation patterns from abdominal and lumbar muscles were compared between healthy control subjects and those with chronic low back pain.
- Back muscles biometry in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Department of Physiology, Pav Paul G Desmarais, 2960 Chemin de la Tour, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1J4 Canada
Spine J 7:338-44. 2007
Many studies have been devoted to the role of back muscle activity in the development of scoliosis...
- Predictive factors for disability pension--an 11-year follow up of young persons on sick leave due to neck, shoulder, or back diagnoses
Division of Social Medicine and Public Health Science, Department of Health and Environment, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 29:104-12. 2001
Although back diagnoses are recurrent and the main diagnoses behind sickness absence and disability pension surprisingly few longitudinal studies have been performed...
- Diverging intramuscular activity patterns in back and abdominal muscles during trunk rotation
Eva A Andersson
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, University College of Physical Education and Sports, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E152-60. 2002
..An intramuscular electromyographic study was performed on trunk rotations during sitting and standing...
- Association between back pain and physical fitness in adolescents
Lars Bo Andersen
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1740-4. 2006
..A cross-sectional study of 9413 adolescents...
- Stronger back muscles reduce the incidence of vertebral fractures: a prospective 10 year follow-up of postmenopausal women
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone 30:836-41. 2002
The long-term protective effect of stronger back muscles on the spine was determined in 50 healthy white postmenopausal women, aged 58-75 years, 8 years after they had completed a 2 year randomized, controlled trial...
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections of the extremities and back
Christian M Ogilvie
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 447:179-86. 2006
..Several signs of shock and organ dysfunction were associated with mortality in patients with necrotizing soft tissue infections of the extremities. The overall mortality rate (9.3%) was lower than in some other reports...
- Free shoulder space requirements in the design of high backrests
R H M Goossens
Erasmus University Rotterdam, Department of Biomedical Physics and Technology, The Netherlands
Ergonomics 46:518-30. 2003
..For all seat angles, a free shoulder space of d=0 cm resulted in the highest back muscle activity...
- Electromyographic validation of the trapezius and serratus anterior muscles in rowing exercises with middle and closed grip
M L Bull
Department of Anatomy IB UNESP Botucatu SP
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 43:4-8. 2003
..SI acted preferentially with closed grip in all modalities, however, with activity levels that do not justify its indication for physical conditioning programmes...
- Surface electromyography assessment of back muscle intrinsic properties
Occupational Health and Safety Research Institute Robert Sauvé, Quebec, Montreal, Canada
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 13:305-18. 2003
The purpose of this study was to assess (1) the reliability and (2) the sensitivity to low back pain status and gender of different EMG indices developed for the assessment of back muscle weakness, muscle fiber composition and ..
- Reliability of EMG measurements for trunk muscles during maximal and sub-maximal voluntary isometric contractions in healthy controls and CLBP patients
School of Physiotherapy, Bld 408, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, 6845, WA, Australia
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:333-42. 2004
..MVC/sub-MVC) over repeated trials within-day and between-days in healthy controls and patients with chronic low back pain (CLBP). Eleven volunteers (six controls and five CLBP patients) were assessed twice with a 1-week interval...
- Movement of the upper body and muscle activity patterns following a rapidly applied load: the influence of pre-load alterations
T Bull Andersen
Department of Sport Science, University of Aarhus, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 91:488-92. 2004
Sudden loading of the spine is not only considered a risk factor for the development of low-back pain but also enables an evaluation of the stability of the spine when conducted under laboratory conditions...
- Quantifying the lumbar flexion-relaxation phenomenon: theory, normative data, and clinical applications
PRIDE Research Foundation, Dallas, TX, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1435-46. 2003
- Previous history of LBP with work loss is related to lingering deficits in biomechanical, physiological, personal, psychosocial and motor control characteristics
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Ergonomics 46:731-46. 2003
..physiological, personal psychosocial and motor control parameters that linger due to a history of low back disorders...
- The responses of leg and trunk muscles to sudden unloading of the hands: implications for balance and spine stability
S H M Brown
Department of Kinesiology, School of Human Kinetics, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada N9B 3P4
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 18:812-20. 2003
..To examine the anticipatory and responsive actions of leg and trunk muscles, and their role in whole-body and spine control in situations of sudden unloading of the hands in the sagittal plane...
- Determination of worker physiological cost in workspace reach envelopes
Arijit K Sengupta
Department of Engineering Technology, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Ergonomics 47:330-42. 2004
..The research indicated for the first time that during task performance, worker physiological cost would increase significantly with the increase in workspace reach levels...
- Trunk muscle response to lifting unbalanced loads with and without knowledge of centre of mass
Brandon M Meyers
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Ontario, Toronto, Canada M3J 1P3
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 18:712-20. 2003
..To examine the effects of lifting a bin with a variable centre of mass on muscle activity, with and without knowledge of the centre of mass...
- Precision of measurements of physical workload during standardised manual handling. Part I: surface electromyography of m. trapezius, m. infraspinatus and the forearm extensors
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 14:443-54. 2004
..The between-days and between-subjects variability may be used to optimise sampling strategy, and to assess the bias in epidemiological studies. The bias caused by measurement procedures per se is acceptable...
- Surface electromyography activity of trunk muscles during wheelchair propulsion
Yu Sheng Yang
Human Engineering Research Laboratories 151R1 H, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare Systems, 7180 Highland Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 21:1032-41. 2006
- Low back pain patients demonstrate increased hip extensor muscle activity during standardized submaximal rotation efforts
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:E999-E1005. 2006
..A comparative study of trunk and hip extensor muscle recruitment patterns in 2 subject groups...
- The effect of increasing resistance on trunk muscle activity during extension and flexion exercises on training devices
Veerle K Stevens
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, B9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:434-45. 2008
..as a percentage of maximal voluntary isometric contractions (MVIC)) electromyographic activity of 16 abdominal and back muscles was investigated...
- Critical illness VR rehabilitation device (X-VR-D): evaluation of the potential use for early clinical rehabilitation
H van de Meent
University Medical Centre St Radboud, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Reinierpostlaan 4, POB 9191, Postal code 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:480-6. 2008
..We conclude that the X-VR-D is safe and effective to elicit consistent and reproducible muscle activity in trunk and leg muscles in healthy subjects and thus can be used as a training method...