Genomes and Genes
Summary: The pit in the center of the ABDOMINAL WALL marking the point where the UMBILICAL CORD entered in the FETUS.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Advancement flap umbilicoplasty after abdominal wall closure: postoperative results compared with normal umbilical anatomyS L Lee
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California at Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Pediatr Surg 36:1168-70. 2001..collar height, circumference, and distance from the xiphoid with respect to the pubis (ratio of xiphoid-umbilicus distance to xiphoid-pubis distance or XU:XP) were recorded and referenced to normal umbilical anatomy in ..
- Painful, red umbilicusL Shay Richardson
Department of Emergency Medicine, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45429, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:547-50. 2004
- Stage IV epithelial ovarian carcinoma in an 18 year old patient presenting with a Sister Mary Joseph's nodule and metastasis in both breasts: a case report and review of the literatureEva Kolwijck
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Gynecol Oncol 107:583-5. 2007..The most frequent ovarian malignancy in mature women is of epithelial origin. In children and adolescents, it is very rare, and in such cases it mostly concerns tumors of low malignant potential or low stage I tumors...
- Sister Mary Joseph's nodule of the umbilicus: is it always of gastric origin? A review of eight cases at different sites of originF Al-Mashat
Department of Surgery, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, College of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Indian J Cancer 47:65-9. 2010The aim of this analysis was to evaluate our management and outcome of eight cases of Sister Mary Joseph's Nodule of the umbilicus (SMJN).
- Spontaneous endometriosis in an umbilical skin lesionParaskevi Chatzikokkinou
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Trieste, Ospedale Maggiore, Via Stuparich 1, I 34100 Trieste, Italy
Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat 18:126-30. 2009Cutaneous endometriosis of the umbilicus is an unusual condition with unclear pathogenetic mechanisms that might be mistaken for a malignant condition. A 46-year-old woman presented with a cutaneous black mass in the umbilicus...
- Laparoscopic transumbilical cholecystectomy without visible abdominal scarsNinh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California Irvine Medical Center, 333 City Blvd West, Suite 850, Orange, CA 92868, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1125-8. 2009We present a novel surgical technique for cholecystectomy utilizing three laparoscopic ports placed through the umbilicus. This new method is natural orifice transumbilical surgery (NOTUS) and describes a laparoscopic operation that can ..
- Transumbilical laparoscopic urological surgery: are special devices strictly necessary?Anibal W Branco
Department of Urology, Cruz Vermelha Hospital and Vita Batel Hospital, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
BJU Int 104:1136-42. 2009..To evaluate the safety and feasibility of transumbilical laparoscopic surgery using conventional laparoscopic instruments and ports...
- Primary melanoma of the umbilicus appearing as omphalitisL Campos-Muñoz
Clin Exp Dermatol 32:322-4. 2007
- Reconstruction of a natural-appearing umbilicus using an island flap: case reportNatsuko Kakudo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono, Moriguchi, Japan
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:999-1002. 2006A case of successful reconstruction of the umbilicus using a depressed scar in an 11-year-old girl with a large and rigid scar spreading around the centre of the abdominal wall is presented...
- [The umbilical metastasis. Sister Mary Joseph and her time]D Trebing
Hautklinik und Immunologisches Zentrum, Städtisches Klinikum Dessau, Dessau
Hautarzt 55:186-9. 2004..Among the numerous eponyms occurring in the dermatology and the medicine, the association with the name of a nurse represents beyond doubt a special feature...
- Sister Mary Joseph's nodule as a first sign of cancer of the cecum: report of a caseRaimondo Gabriele
Department of Surgery P Valdoni, University of Rome La Sapienza Medical School, Policlinico Umberto I, Rome, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 47:115-7. 2004
- [Umbilical metastasis: Sister Mary Joseph's nodule]B Piura
Unit of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Soroka Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
Harefuah 145:505-9, 550. 2006..5-2 cm, although some nodules may reach up to 10 cm in size. Tumor may spread to the umbilicus through lymph ducts, blood vessels, contiguous extension, and embryologic remnants...
- Metastatic vs primary malignant neoplasms affecting the umbilicus: clinicopathologic features of 77 tumorsJohn A Papalas
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 15:237-42. 2011..Eighty-eight percent of malignancies originated outside the umbilicus and 12% were primary skin tumors...
- Single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy: surgery without a visible scarR Tacchino
Department of Surgery, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Surg Endosc 23:896-9. 2009..A single intraumbilical 12-mm incision is made, and the umbilicus is pulled out, exposing the fascia. Pneumoperitoneum is induced with the Versastep Veress access needle...
- The "invisible cholecystectomy": A transumbilical laparoscopic operation without a scarMiguel A Cuesta
Department of Surgery, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 22:1211-3. 2008..we developed, in patients with no history of cholecystitis and a normal BMI, a scarless operation through the umbilicus. The operative technique, along with the results of the first 10 patients operated in this way, are fully ..
- Adhesions caused by umbilical piercingGary Ventolini
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 10:281. 2003..Diagnostic laparoscopy revealed an umbilical adhesion from the small bowel to the anterior abdominal wall. The patient removed the umbilical piercing but declined surgery for adhesiolysis...
- Choosing the cosmetically superior laparoscopic access to the abdomen: the importance of the umbilicusPouya Iranmanesh
Division of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital Geneva, 4, rue Gabrielle Perret Gentil, 1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 25:2578-85. 2011..The most frequent site of abdominal access is the umbilicus. Its appearance can be altered during SIL procedures...
- [Umbilical endometriosis without previous pelvic surgery]Bruno Ramalho de Carvalho
Departamento de Ginecologia e Obstetricia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet 30:167-70. 2008..to present a series of cases of umbilical endometriosis in patients in reproductive age, with no previous pelvic surgery...
- A comprehensive review of single-incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) and natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) techniques for cholecystectomyRonald Scott Chamberlain
Department of Surgery, Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 07039, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1733-40. 2009....
- Transumbilical single-port laparoscopic partial nephrectomyMonish Aron
Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
BJU Int 103:516-21. 2009..To present the initial experience with laparoscopic partial nephrectomy (LPN) performed through a transumbilical single port...
- The midline umbilicusA Lee Dellon
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1301-2; author reply 1302. 2004
- Anatomical localization of the umbilicus: an Indian studySuhas V Abhyankar
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Dr R N Cooper Hospital, Juhu, Mumbai, India
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1153-7. 2006The umbilicus is essential to the aesthetic appearance of the abdomen. However, very little has been written about the exact location of the aesthetically pleasing umbilicus as far as the Indian cosmopolitan population is concerned...
- Relocating the umbilicus in abdominal surgeryAndrew M Williams
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2528. 2006
- Is the umbilicus truly midline? Clinical and medicolegal implicationsRod J Rohrich
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:259-63; discussion 264-5. 2003A common misconception is that the umbilicus is a midline structure. To date, an anatomical survey examining whether the umbilicus is located at the midline has not been reported...
- Reconstruction of a natural-looking umbilicusFabio Santanelli
Departments of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, II School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 36:183-5. 2002Based on the assumption that the umbilicus is a wound that has healed by second intention, we describe a method of reconstruction...
- Is the umbilicus truly midline?Larry D Florman
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1089-90; author reply 1090. 2004
- Anatomical localization of the umbilicus: a statistical analysisStefan Danilla
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1123-4. 2007
- Transumbilical laparoscopic cholecystectomy utilizes no incisions outside the umbilicusG Piskun
The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 9:361-4. 1999..A standard laparoscopic cholecystectomy employs three trocar incisions outside the umbilicus, which are a source of potential wound complications and an undesirable cosmetic outcome...
- Transumbilical flexible endoscopic cholecystectomy in humans: first feasibility study using a hybrid techniqueC Palanivelu
GEM Hospital and Postgraduate Institute, Coimbatore, India
Endoscopy 40:428-31. 2008....
- Single port transumbilical (E-NOTES) donor nephrectomyInderbir S Gill
Center for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 180:637-41; discussion 641. 2008..In a similar manner the umbilicus, an embryonic (E) natural orifice, permits abdominal access with hidden scar of entry...
- Single-incision transumbilical laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomyAlan A Saber
Department of General Surgery, Michigan State University, Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:755-8 discussion 759. 2009..In this article, the senior author (AAS) presents his technique for an entirely transumbilical single-incision approach where no extraumbilical incisions are necessary...
- Villar's nodule: a case report and systematic literature review of endometriosis externa of the umbilicusRahi Victory
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:23-32. 2007..Laparoscopic endometrioid tissue excision can result in iatrogenic seeding to the umbilicus. Historical and physical findings are pathognomonic, thus justifying a formal name--Villar's nodule, after the ..
- Single incision transumbilical laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a first case reportChih Kun Huang
Department of General Surgery, E Da Hospital I Shou University, 1, E Da Rd, Jian Shu Tsuen, Yan Chau Shiang, Kaohsiung, 824, Taiwan
Obes Surg 19:1711-5. 2009..When performed via the transumbilical route, it can make the abdominal wound scarless and cosmetically more acceptable...
- A modified umbilical incision for specimen extraction after laparoscopic abdominal surgeryL Casciola
Department of General, Vascular and Mininvasive Surgery, Spoleto Hospital, Roma, Italy
Surg Endosc 22:784-6. 2008..One advantage of laparoscopic surgery over open surgery is the absence of laparotomic incisions. This advantage is reduced when an auxiliary incision is performed to remove surgical specimens larger than the trocar...
- Scarless single port transumbilical nephrectomy and pyeloplasty: first clinical reportMihir M Desai
Center for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
BJU Int 101:83-8. 2008..To report the initial clinical cases of scarless, single port, transumbilical nephrectomy and pyeloplasty...
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery for cholecystectomy: an evolving techniqueAndre Chow
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, St Marys Hospital Campus, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Surg Endosc 24:709-14. 2010..This may lead to reduced postoperative pain and improved patient cosmesis...
- Single-incision, umbilical laparoscopic versus conventional laparoscopic nephrectomy: a comparison of perioperative outcomes and short-term measures of convalescenceJay D Raman
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Eur Urol 55:1198-204. 2009..Recent reports have suggested that single-port or single-incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) is technically feasible...
- Single incision laparoscopic splenectomy: the first two casesUmut Barbaros
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1520-3. 2009..Herein we report two splenectomy cases where single incision surgery (SILS) technique was performed...
- Transumbilical single-port surgery: evolution and current statusDavid Canes
Center for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Department of Urology, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Eur Urol 54:1020-9. 2008..Within a short span, several clinical reports have emerged in the urologic literature. As this field is poised to move forward, a complete understanding of its evolution and current status is timely...
- Simple technique for single incision transumbilical laparoscopic appendectomyAlan A Saber
Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclide Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Int J Surg 8:128-30. 2010..We herein describe our own simplified technique for single incision transumbilical laparoscopic appendectomy...
- Laboratory and clinical development of single keyhole umbilical nephrectomyJay D Raman
Department of Urology, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Urology 70:1039-42. 2007..To describe our initial experience with single keyhole nephrectomy in a porcine model and in human subjects...
- The umbilicus in laparoscopic surgeryA J Voitk
Department of Surgery, The Scarborough Hospital, Grace Division, Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Surg Endosc 15:878-81. 2001This study examines the factors related to infection and incisional herniation after laparoscopy at the umbilicus, as compared with those at remote sites.
- Is umbilical flora responsible for wound infection after laparoscopic surgery?Ismail Hamzaoglu
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 14:263-7. 2004..Microbiological samples were taken from the umbilicus before (group 1) and after (group 2) antisepsis with povidone-iodine...
- Laparoscopic femoral hernia repair using umbilical ligament as plugDanagra Georgia Ikossi
Department of Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 5733, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 15:197-200. 2005..The procedure is safe, simple, and provides excellent functional and cosmetic results...
- A boy with an unusual association of ventral midline anomalies including a trunk-like umbilicusHilde Van Esch
Centre for Human Genetics, Division of Clinical Genetics, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Clin Dysmorphol 13:261-3. 2004..Different diagnoses were considered in this patient, including the pentalogy of Cantrell and Donnai-Barrow syndrome. However, none can account for all the abnormalities seen...
- Pyogenic sacroiliitis following an infected umbilical ringSari L Kives
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, University of Louisville Medical School, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 17:125-9. 2004
- Case report: MR imaging features of endometriosis at the umbilicusC M Hartigan
Department of Radiology, The Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, Hampstead, London NW3 2QG, UK
Br J Radiol 78:755-7. 2005The radiological features of extrapelvic endometriosis at the umbilicus with large ovarian endometriomas are described. In this patient, the umbilical lesion appears as hypointense on T(1) weighted and T(2) weighted MR images...
- [Diagnostic image (246). A man with faecal production of the umbilicus]R Bergman
Maxima Medisch Centrum, afd Chirurgie, Postbus 7777, 5500 MB Veldhoven
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:1940. 2005A 19-year-old man with Crohn's disease presented with faecal production of the umbilicus due to an entero-urachal fistula.
- Scarless endoscopic surgery: NOTES or TUESJiang Fan Zhu
Surg Endosc 21:1898-9. 2007
- A naval surgeon's approach to the draining umbilicusSean P Stroup
Department of Urology, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA 92134, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:645-8. 2007..A careful office exam and basic laparoscopic skills are all that is needed. A brief discussion and review of the literature follows...
- A simple technique to correct umbilicus vertical malpositionGal M Dini
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1973-4. 2007
- Discharging umbilicusAbdelkarim A El-Bakry
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, King Khalid University Hospital, PO Box 2925, Riyadh 11461, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 23:1099-100. 2002..Umbilical discharge is a symptom of varied pathology. Treatment policies of this clinical problem vary among different institutions. Our experience in the management of 44 patients with umbilical discharge is presented...
- Totally transumbilical laparoscopic cholecystectomyAndrew A Gumbs
Department of Surgery, Division of Upper GI and Endocrine Surgery, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons New York Presbyterian Hospital, 161 Fort Washington Ave, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:533-4. 2009..Presented in this video are the steps necessary to perform a LESS cholecystectomy via a transumbilical incision with commercially available instruments...
- [Appendectomy with a single trocar through the umbilicus: results of our series and a cost approximation]A Pérez Martínez
Servicio de Cirugia Pediatrica, Osasunbidea, Navarra
Cir Pediatr 20:10-4. 2007..In our department we perform the appendectomy through a single periumbilical incision. A double channel laparoscope aids to locate and exteriorize the appendix...
- Single incision laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (SILS): a novel techniqueAlan A Saber
Department of Surgery, Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Michigan State University, 1000 Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008, USA
Obes Surg 18:1338-42. 2008..The senior author (Saber) has developed a single umbilical incision approach to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy...
- Diffuse large B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma presenting as Sister Joseph's noduleC Tam
Department of Haematology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, St Andrew s Place, East Melbourne, VIC 3002, Australia
Leuk Lymphoma 43:2055-7. 2002..The patient's unusual histology and pattern of disease involvement are also discussed...
- Cutaneous endometriosis: non-invasive analysis by epiluminescence microscopyV de Giorgi
Department of Dermatology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Clin Exp Dermatol 28:315-7. 2003..Within this typical pigmentation there were small red globular structures, but more defined and of a deeper hue, which we called 'red atolls'. ELM thus revealed a distinctive pattern in cutaneous endometriosis...
- The two-dermal-flap umbilical transposition: a natural and aesthetic umbilicus after abdominoplastyShai M Rozen
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9132, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:2255-62. 2007The aesthetic and natural appearance of the transposed umbilicus after abdominoplasty is a key factor to the overall result and satisfaction of patient and surgeon alike...
- A newborn with an umbilical massDonna I Meltzer
State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11794 8461, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:1590-2. 2005
- Four-triangular-skin-flap approach to umbilical diseases and laparoscopic umbilical portKenitiro Kaneko
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Toyohashi Municipal Hospital, Toyohashi, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 39:1404-7. 2004Surgery of umbilical pathology requires restoration of a normal umbilical appearance. Also, the umbilicus is used increasingly as the entry site during laparoscopic surgery. However, conventional approaches leave obvious scars...
- Umbilical endometriosis associated with umbilical hernia. Management of a rare occurrenceFrancesco Iovino
3rd Division of Surgery, Department of Gerontology, Geriatrics and Metabolism Diseases, Second University of Naples
Chir Ital 59:895-9. 2007..The aesthetic result was considered satisfactory 6 months after the operation because of absence of hypertrophic scars and in view of the anatomical aspect of the new umbilicus. No recurrence was observed within this time frame.
- Diffuse endometritis in the setting of umbilical endometriosis: a case reportKristopher J Kimball
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 549 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35222, USA
J Reprod Med 53:49-51. 2008..Umbilical endometriosis is rare and can be a challenging diagnosis in the absence of classic signs and symptoms...
- Traction-compression-closure for exomphalos majorAntonino Morabito
Neonatal Surgical Unit, St Mary s Women and Children s Hospital, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
J Pediatr Surg 41:1850-3. 2006We present our experience with traction-compression-closure (TCC) for exomphalos major (EM) to achieve a safe and embryologically correct midline supraumbilical aesthetic closure with preservation of the umbilicus.
- Umbilical polyp in infants and childrenM Pacilli
Surgery Unit, Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London, UK
Eur J Pediatr Surg 17:397-9. 2007..is a rare congenital lesion resulting from the persistence of omphalomesenteric duct (OMD) enteric mucosa at the umbilicus. Exploration of the abdomen to exclude the presence of associated OMD remnants is controversial...
- Ultrasonographic demonstration of a type 1 omphalomesenteric duct remnantA Taranath
The Lyell McEwin Health Service, Elizabeth Vale, South Australia
Acta Radiol 47:100-2. 2006..We present ultrasonographic features of a patent omphalomesenteric duct remnant in a 3-week-old boy who presented to our hospital with a non-healing umbilical lesion. Ultrasound can prove beneficial in the work-up of such cases...
- Urachal fistula presenting as umbilical sepsis: a rare case in an adult maleHisham Hurreiz
Newham General Hospital, Glen Road, London, UK
Med Sci Monit 12:CS44-7. 2006..Urachal anomalies are rare normally presenting during childhood. They are difficult to diagnose and surgical treatment is always needed to prevent recurrence...
- Reconstruction technique for umbilical endometriosisE M Kokuba
Division of Plastic Surgery, Escola Paulista de Medicina Federal University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 94:37-40. 2006..To present a technique for immediate umbilical reconstruction in women undergoing resection of umbilical endometriosis...
- Current management of umbilical abnormalities and related anomaliesCharles L Snyder
Department of Surgery, The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 16:41-9. 2007Prenatally, the umbilicus is of paramount importance, providing the gateway between the mother and the fetus...
- [Abnormalities of the urachus]P J Bastian
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Urologie, Universitatsklinikum Bonn, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat Bonn
Aktuelle Urol 34:55-61. 2003
- Assessment of the umbilical cord outside of the delivery room. Part 2Christine Reu Donlon
Children s Hospital, Albany Medical Center, 43 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Adv Neonatal Care 2:187-97. 2002..A systematic approach to the physical examination of the umbilicus is offered, with an emphasis on early detection of abnormalities...
- Umbilical polypsM Larralde de Luna
Section of Pediatric Dermatology, , Argentina
Pediatr Dermatol 4:341-3. 1987..We consider it important to study every case in detail in order to exclude possible underlying embryologic anomalies such as Meckel's diverticulum and umbilical enteric fistula...
- [The wet umbilicus: maybe not an umbilical granuloma?]B P J van Bezooijen
Afd Kinderurologie, VU Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1345-8. 2002Three infants, 1 girl aged 10 months and 2 boys aged 2 and 4 months, presented with a discharging umbilicus directly or shortly after birth...
- Surgical treatment of patent omphalomesenteric duct presenting as faecal umbilical dischargeG Giacalone
Department of General Surgery and Pediatrics, Imeldahospital, Bonheiden, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 104:211-3. 2004..The omphalomesenteric duct was followed up to the junction with the small intestine and there resected. The abdominal wall was closed without resection of the umbilicus.
- Primary umbilical endometriosis--a rare variant of cutaneous endometriosisMunawar Hussain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 13:164-5. 2003A case of primary umbilical endometriosis is being reported here, who presented with a dark brown nodule on the umbilicus with black pigmentation around it for the last seven months, associated with cyclical pain and bleeding from the ..
- Scar endometriosis developing after an umbilical hernia repair with meshJames Majeski
South Med J 97:532-4. 2004..The umbilical fascial defect was repaired with a primary fascia-to-fascia closure and the umbilicus was reconstructed from adjacent skin...
- Reconstruction of the umbilicus using a reverse fan-shaped flapRyuji Masuda
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Aesthetic Plast Surg 27:349-53. 2003The goal of the reconstruction for umbilical absence is to obtain a natural three-dimensional appearance of the umbilicus with minimal operative scarring...
- The Maltese cross technique: umbilical reconstruction after dermolipectomyM Rogliani
University Tor Vergata Rome, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Policlinico Casilino, Rome, Italy
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:1036-8. 2007A simple and easy technique for reconstruction of the umbilicus was devised, with emphasis on forming walls of the umbilicus and a depression in a caudal direction. A quite satisfactory result was obtained...
- Umbilical reconstruction after repair of large umbilical hernia: the "lazy-M" and omega flapsGabriel Tamir
Unit of Plastic Surgery, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
J Pediatr Surg 39:226-8. 2004..Two opposing skin flaps, an upper inverted Omega shaped flap, and a lower, lazy M-shaped flap were designed to create a deep, 3-dimensional, normal-appearing umbilicus in identical twins.
- Recurrent umbilical endometriosis after laparoscopic treatment of minimal pelvic endometriosis: a case reportJeffrey M Goldberg
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Reprod Med 52:551-2. 2007..Umbilical endometriosis is extremely rare. The majority of cases occur spontaneously. There have been a few reported cases following laparoscopy but none for the treatment of pelvic endometriosis...
- Umbilical endometriosisF Frischknecht
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Kantonsspital Munsterlingen, 8596 Scherzingen, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 18:347. 2004We report two women who presented with a recurrent, mildly painful, bluish nodule in the umbilicus. Both patients complained of local tenderness and occasional bleeding that increased during menstruation...
- Umbilical endometriosis, a pathology that a gynecologist may encounter when inserting the Veres needleWan Tinn Teh
Department of General Surgery, Monash University and Women s and Children s Program, Southern Health, Victoria, Australia
Fertil Steril 86:1764.e1-2. 2006..To raise awareness between laparoscopists about umbilical endometriosis and to recommend the appropriate management measure for this rare but easily treatable condition...
- Umbilical port closure under direct visionV Khanduja
Department of Surgery, Newham General Hospital, Plaistow, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 84:281. 2002
- [Persistence of the omphalomesenteric duct. Childhood differential diagnosis of umbilical granuloma]M E Sánchez-Castellanos
Dermatóloga Pediatra Instituto Dermatológico de Jalisco Dr José Barba Rubio, Zapopan, Jalisco Mexico
Actas Dermosifiliogr 97:404-5. 2006..We report a case of persistence of the omphalomesenteric duct and review the bibliography to establish the differences between this anomaly and umbilical granuloma, which is the main differential diagnosis...
- Sister Mary Joseph's nodule as the first presenting sign of primary fallopian tube adenocarcinomaBoris Kirshtein
Department of Surgery A, Soroka University Medical Center and Faculty of the Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:234-6. 2006..Laparoscopy can provide crucial information with respect to the location, size, and feasibility of optimal surgical resection of the intraabdominal and/or pelvic tumors...
- Umbilical metastasis after laparoscopic retroperitoneal paraaortic lymphadenectomy for cervical cancer: a true port-site metastasis?José M Martínez-Palones
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Unit of Gynecologic Oncology, Hospital Materno Infantil Vall d Hebron, Passeig Vall d Hebron 119 129, E 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Gynecol Oncol 97:292-5. 2005..We present a case of umbilical metastasis after laparoscopic retroperitoneal paraaortic lymphadenectomy for cervical cancer...
- Can instrument contamination lead to tumor implantation?Hiroshi Yano
Surgery 131:362. 2002
- Trocar-site metastasis is not always due to laparoscopyH Hertel
Department of Gynecology, Friedrich Schiller University, Bachstrasse 18, D-07740 Jena, Germany
Surg Endosc 15:896. 2001..Therefore, tumor manifestation at the abdominal wall after laparoscopic surgery should not automatically be considered the result of iatrogenic spreading...
- Laparoscopic management of complicated urachal remnantsColin W M Cutting
Department of Urology, King s College Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 96:1417-21. 2005..To report our experience with a laparoscopic approach to managing symptomatic urachal anomalies...
- Single cannula technique and robotic telescopic assistance in infants and children who require laparoscopic Nissen fundoplicationDaniel J Ostlie
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:111-5; discussion 111-5. 2003..The purpose of this study is to report the technique and document the results using a single 5-mm umbilical cannula for LNF, stab incisions for placement of the instruments, and robotic telescope assistance...
- Pancreatic cancer presenting as a Sister Mary Joseph's nodule: case report and update of the literatureVimala Yendluri
Pancreatic Section, Gastrointestinal Oncology Division, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Pancreas 34:161-4. 2007Cutaneous metastasis of an occult malignancy to the umbilicus has come to be known as a Sister Mary Joseph's nodule (SMJN)...
- Simultaneous abdominoplasty and umbilical reconstruction using a modified C-V flap techniqueMuhammet Uraloglu
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2525-6. 2006
- Reconstruction of umbilical hypogenesis accompanied by a longitudinal scarNaoshige Iida
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Akita Red Cross Hospital, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:322-5. 2003
- Urachal inflammatory mass mimicking an intra-abdominal tumor two years after excision of the urachal sinus in a childMao Meng Tiao
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, 123, Dabi Road, Niaosung Shiang, Kaohsiung, Taiwan 833, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 26:598-601. 2003..Turbid urine was also a complaint. His urachal sinus and umbilicus had been removed at the age of 2 months...
- Urachal carcinoma: key points for the general surgeonClay Cothren
Department of Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
Am Surg 68:201-3. 2002..One should be aware of this entity as early recognition and appropriate surgery provides the best opportunity for long-term survival. Herein we describe a typical case, appropriate evaluation, and review of the literature...
- Extragenital endometriosis--a clinicopathological review of a Glasgow hospital experience with case illustrationsC Douglas
Department of Surgery, Inverclyde Royal Infirmary, Greenock, Scotland, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 24:804-8. 2004..9%) in the urinary tract and 21 (61.8%) were in other sites, including pfannenstial scar, inguinal canal, umbilicus and perineum; 52.9% presented to gynaecologists and mean time to diagnosis was 24.54 months (CI: 13.2 - 35.8)...
- A novel method of ninth-intercostal microlaparoscopic approach for patients with previous laparotomyJun Kumakiri
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:977-81. 2006..To evaluate the availability of a primary laparoscopic approach for a patient with previous laparotomy and to assess postoperative adhesion to the abdominal wall....
- Isolated umbilical endometriosis--a rare findingM A Okunlola
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 31:281-2. 2002..There was no evidence of endometrotic deposits elsewhere. Apart from cyclical bleeding from the umbilicus, she was relatively free of any of the other signs and symptoms of Endometriosis...
- Umbilical endometriosis in pregnancy: a case reportS Razzi
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine, Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Siena, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 18:114-6. 2004..polypoid nodule within the umbilical depression, with the typical history of monthly bleeding from the umbilicus. A nodule biopsy, testing of serum levels of CA-125 and a transabdominal ultrasound examination were performed...
- Primary umbilical adenomyotic lesion presenting as cyclical periumbilical swellingStéphane Ploteau
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes, France
Fertil Steril 88:1674-5. 2007..Histological examination of these lesions confirmed smooth muscle hyperplasia that was infiltrated by numerous endometrial glands (adenomyosis)...
- Safe entry techniques during laparoscopy: left upper quadrant entry using the ninth intercostal space--a review of 918 proceduresNeena Agarwala
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 3255, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 12:55-61. 2005..Of the 918 laparoscopies, 504 patients (54.9%) were found to have involvement of their umbilicus with adhesions that could have affected the traditional umbilical primary port entry...
- [Bleeding caused by the trocar insertion through the umbilicus as a rare complication of laparoscopy]Dariusz Wydra
II Kliniki Ginekologii i Połoznictwa w Akademii Medycznej w Gdańsku
Ginekol Pol 74:151-4. 2003..case in which bleeding from the anterior abdominal wall vessels occurred after the trocar insertion through the umbilicus. Directly after trocar removing there was insignificant bleeding from the trocar incision...
- Anthropometric Assessment of Abdominal Obesity and Health Risk in Children and AdPETER TODD KATZMARZYK; Fiscal Year: 2010..research: 1) superior border of the iliac crest, 2) midpoint between the iliac crest and the lowest rib, 3) umbilicus, and 4) minimal waist...
- Pitx2 Function in Developing Mouse Brain NeuronsDonna M Martin; Fiscal Year: 2010..In humans, PITX2 is mutated in Rieger syndrome, a multiple congenital anomaly syndrome affecting eyes, umbilicus, and teeth, with variable abnormalities in the heart, pituitary, and brain...
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- INFRASTRUCTURE FOR RESEARCH ON MENTAL DISABILITIESRoger Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- A role for intrinsic tendon cells in overuse injuryKathleen Derwin; Fiscal Year: 2005..A role for intrinsic tendon cells in the pathogenesis of tendon overuse injury would be implied by a lower damage threshold in vital tendon. ..
- Clinically relevant large animal model of rotator cuff injury and repairKathleen Derwin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microarray Analysis of WoundsAMY COLWELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We hypothesize these genes can be used to modulate the biology of adult wound healing. This first step will form our basis for developing treatment to induce scarless healing. ..
- Incidence, risk factors, and consequences of neonatal hypothermia in NepalLUKE MULLANY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Examination of alternate cutoffs for defining hypothermia severity may improve design of low-cost technologies for identification and subsequent management of hypothermic infants in the community. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..