Summary: Exocrine glands in animals which secrete scents which either repel or attract other animals, e.g. perianal glands of skunks, anal glands of weasels, musk glands of foxes, ventral glands of wood rats, and dorsal glands of peccaries.
Publications132 found, 100 shown here
- Chemical cues identify gender and individuality in Giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca)Lee Hagey
Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species, Zoological Society of San Diego, Post Office Box 551, San Diego, California 92112 0551, USA
J Chem Ecol 29:1479-88. 2003..Using mass spectrometry, we identified 951 chemical components from scent glands, urine, vaginal secretions, and scent marks made by pandas...
- Trypanosoma cruzi in the scent glands of Didelphis marsupialis: the kinetics of colonizationJ C Carreira
Departmento de Pathologia, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 97:129-40. 2001This study examined the dynamics of colonization of Trypanosoma cruzi in the scent glands of the opossum Didelphis marsupialis following direct inoculation with 10(5) epimastigotes of isolate G-49 (an opossum-derived strain)...
- Putative chemosignals of the ferret (Mustela furo) associated with individual and gender recognitionJ X Zhang
Institute for Pheromone Research and Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, 800 East Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Chem Senses 30:727-37. 2005..Similar results were previously obtained in anal glands of three other Mustela species. These findings provide new information about the constituents of urine and volatile components of anal gland secretions in ferrets...
- Putative chemical signals about sex, individuality, and genetic background in the preputial gland and urine of the house mouse (Mus musculus)Jian Xu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents in Agriculture, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 25 Beisihuanxi Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080, China
Chem Senses 32:293-303. 2007..Hence, these 2 compounds might code for information about their genetic background...
- Macrolides from the scent glands of the tropical butterflies Heliconius cydno and Heliconius pachinusStefan Schulz
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Hagenring 30 38106, Braunschweig, Germany
Org Biomol Chem 5:3434-41. 2007..Their absolute configurations were determined by gas chromatographic investigations on chiral phases, showing all to possess (S)-configuration...
- Potential chemosignals in the anogenital gland secretion of giant pandas, Ailuropoda melanoleuca, associated with sex and individual identityJian Xu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents in Agriculture, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100080, China
J Chem Ecol 34:398-407. 2008..Although putative sex pheromones such as squalene and erucic acid should be assessed further by bioassay, our study suggests that synthetic chemosignals might be useful in modulating the behavior and physiology of giant pandas...
- Scent marking behavior as an odorant communication in miceHiroyuki Arakawa
Pacific Bioscience Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1993 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 32:1236-48. 2008....
- Naphthoquinones and anthraquinones from scent glands of a dyspnoid Harvestman, Paranemastoma quadripunctatumGünther Raspotnig
Institute of Zoology, Karl Franzens University, and University Children s Hospital, Universitatsplatz 2, 8010, Graz, Austria
J Chem Ecol 36:158-62. 2010..contained seven components, all of which likely originated from the secretion of well-developed prosomal scent glands. The two main components (together accounting for more than 90% of the secretion) were identified as 1,4-..
- Alarm communication: a new function for the scent-gland secretion in harvestmen (Arachnida: Opiliones)Glauco Machado
Departamento de Zoologia, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, SP, Brazil
Naturwissenschaften 89:357-60. 2002..The discovery of this novel function of scent-gland secretion is meaningful in view of the widespread occurrence of gregarious habit among species of the order Opiliones...
- Gas-chromatographic analyses of the subcaudal gland secretion of the European badger (Meles meles) part I: chemical differences related to individual parametersC D Buesching
Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK
J Chem Ecol 28:41-56. 2002..We, therefore, conclude that the secretion not only encodes group membership and individuality as previously assumed, but might also convey information about fitness-related parameters...
- Molecular characterization of the microbial communities in the subcaudal gland secretion of the European badger (Meles meles)Yung Wa Sin
Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Department of Zoology, Recanati Kaplan Centre, University of Oxford, Tubney, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 81:648-59. 2012Many mammals possess specialized scent glands, which convey information about the marking individual...
- 6-Alkyl-3,4-dihydro-2H-pyrans: chemical secretion compounds in neotropical harvestmenDaniele F O Rocha
Chemistry Institute, State University of Campinas, POB 6154 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Nat Prod 74:658-63. 2011..The natural product was proven to be racemic, and its biogenetic origin is discussed...
- Chemical profiles of scent gland secretions in the cyphophthalmid opilionid harvestmen, Siro duricorius and S. exilisGuenther Raspotnig
Institute of Zoology, Karl Franzens University, Universitaetsplatz 2, 8010 Graz, Austria
J Chem Ecol 31:1353-68. 2005..In contrast, all ketones identified were new for opilionid scent glands, although similar ketones are characteristic of scent gland secretions of palpatorid genera Leiobunum and ..
- Sex pheromone of the plant bug, Phytocoris calli knightQing He Zhang
Sterling International, Inc, Spokane, WA 99216, USA
J Chem Ecol 34:719-24. 2008Female Phytocoris calli Knight produce a sex pheromone from metathoracic scent glands. The pheromone consists of hexyl acetate (HA; present in both sexes), with the female-specific compounds (E)-2-hexenyl acetate (E2HA), octyl acetate (OA)..
- A stingless bee (Melipona seminigra) marks food sources with a pheromone from its claw retractor tendonsStefan Jarau
Institute of Zoology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Chem Ecol 30:793-804. 2004..Our results resolve the seeming contradiction between the importance of foot print secretions and the lack of openings of the tarsal glands...
- Pheromones of milkweed bugs (Heteroptera: Lygaeidae) attract wayward plant bugs: Phytocoris mirid sex pheromoneQing He Zhang
Department of Entomology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Chem Ecol 29:1835-51. 2003..breviusculus males. Attraction of P. difficilis males occurred mainly during the first half of scotophase. The possible neurophysiological basis for this asymmetrical cross-attraction is discussed...
- Scent marking, dominance and serum testosterone levels in male domestic rabbitsLourdes Arteaga
Centro Tlaxcala de Biología de la Conducta, Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Tlaxcala 90070, Mexico
Physiol Behav 94:510-5. 2008....
- Signals and cues in the recruitment behavior of stingless bees (Meliponini)Friedrich G Barth
Department of Neurobiology and Cognition Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Vienna, Althanstr 14, 1090, Vienna, Austria
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 194:313-27. 2008..Airflow jets as described for the honeybee were not found, and thoracic vibrations do not "symbolically" encode visually measured distance in M. seminigra...
- Morphology of the femoral glands in the lizard Ameiva ameiva (teiidae) and their possible role in semiochemical dispersionBeatriz A Imparato
Laboratorio de Biologia Celular, Instituto Butantan, CEP 05503 900, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Morphol 268:636-48. 2007..Signal dispersion must also be intimately associated with the animal's movement within its territory...
- The genetic basis of individual-recognition signals in the mouseSarah A Cheetham
Mammalian Behaviour and Evolution Group, Department of Veterinary Preclinical Science, University of Liverpool, Leahurst, Neston CH64 7TE, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 17:1771-7. 2007..Specific signals for genetic identity recognition in other species now need to be investigated...
- Relevance of ovarian signaling for the early behavioral transition from estrus to pregnancy in the female rabbitK L Hoffman
Centro de Investigación en Reproducción Animal CIRA, CINVESTAV Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala, Mexico
Horm Behav 52:531-9. 2007..We conclude that ovarian signaling is necessary for the early, but not acute, post-mating inhibition of chinning. The PR seems not to participate in either of these phases...
- Volatile components of lemur scent secretions vary throughout the yearR Andrew Hayes
School of Natural Resource Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Primatol 68:1202-7. 2006..The only identified differences in the volatiles were between swabs from the different seasons; all other categories were statistically indistinguishable...
- Characterization of (E,E)-farnesol and its fatty acid esters from anal scent glands of nutria (Myocastor coypus) by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and gas chromatography-infrared spectrometryHyeunjoo Lee
Center for Mass Spectrometry, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 07030, USA
J Chromatogr A 1165:136-43. 2007..fatty alcohols, fatty acids and some of their esters, were identified from solvent extracts prepared from anal scent glands of nutria (a.k.a. coypu), a serious rodent pest ravaging wetlands in the USA...
- Evidence for a compound in Comstock-Kellog glands modulating premating behavior in male desert locust, Schistocerca gregariaPeter G N Njagi
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, Nairobi, Kenya
J Chem Ecol 28:1065-74. 2002..In bioassays, pentanoic acid significantly stimulated pre-mating behavior in male desert locust. These results are discussed in relation to the biology of the locust...
- Morphology of caprine skin glands involved in buck odour productionS Van Lancker
Department of Morphology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet J 170:351-8. 2005..Surgical removal of the cornual glands caused a decrease in buck odour and persisting scent was ascribed to smaller skin glands dispersed in the cranial body half. Complete absence of buck odour was only observed in castrated bucks...
- Facts, fallacies, fears, and frustrations with human pheromonesCharles J Wysocki
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 281:1201-11. 2004..the interactions between the cutaneous microflora and axillary secretions render this region analogous to scent glands found in other primates...
- Localization of steroid hormone receptors in the apocrine sweat glands of the human axillaKonstantin Beier
Anatomisches Institut, Pestalozzistrasse 20, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Histochem Cell Biol 123:61-5. 2005The apocrine axillary glands, regarded as pheromone-producing scent glands, do not begin to function until puberty...
- Identification of sex pheromone components of a New Zealand geometrid moth, the common forest looper Pseudocoremia suavis, reveals a possible species complexA R Gibb
Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand Ltd, Lincoln, New Zealand
J Chem Ecol 32:865-79. 2006..This second taxon was not attracted to lures loaded solely with (6Z)-cis-9,10-epoxynonadec-6-ene...
- Social suppression of female reproductive maturation and infanticidal behavior in cooperatively breeding Mongolian gerbilsWendy Saltzman
Department of Biology, University of California, Riverside, 92521, USA
Horm Behav 49:527-37. 2006..FH females also had smaller ovaries and uteri, less developed scent glands, and lower progesterone levels, and were more likely to be anovulatory than PH or SH females, especially in the ..
- Safety assessment of castoreum extract as a food ingredientG A Burdock
Burdock Group, Washington, DC, USA
Int J Toxicol 26:51-5. 2007..is a natural product prepared by direct hot-alcohol extraction of castoreum, the dried and macerated castor sac scent glands (and their secretions) from the male or female beaver...
- Defensive secretion components of the host Parastizopus armaticeps as kairomones for the cleptoparasite Eremostibes opacusS Geiselhardt
Institut für Biologie I, Universitat Freiburg, Hauptstrasse 1, D 79104, Freiburg, Germany
J Chem Ecol 32:767-78. 2006..We have drawn an evolutionary scenario including various functional changes in the defensive secretion compounds, leading to the kairomonal exploitation...
- Olfactory experience and the development of odor preference and vaginal marking in female Syrian hamstersPamela M Maras
Georgia State University, Department of Psychology, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, P O Box 3966, Atlanta, GA 30302 3966, USA
Physiol Behav 94:545-51. 2008..Furthermore, they suggest that distinct mechanisms regulate the development of odor preferences and vaginal marking behavior in this species...
- Comparative study of the pheromone-manufacturing femoral glands in two sympatric species of lacertid lizards (Acanthodactylus)Eraqi R R Khannoon
Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Fayoum University, Fayoum 63514, Egypt
Zoolog Sci 30:110-7. 2013..Sexual differences at the external morphology level were more evident than interspecific differences...
- Scent marking behavior in male C57BL/6J mice: sexual and developmental determinationHiroyuki Arakawa
Pacific Bioscience Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1993 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Behav Brain Res 182:73-9. 2007..Although highly inbred strains have similar odor components, C57 males are able to detect and deposit urine marks after puberty as social communication depending on age, sex, and genetic differences in the opponents...
- Sex- and gonad-affecting scent compounds and 3 male pheromones in the ratJian Xu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents in Agriculture, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Chem Senses 33:611-21. 2008..Thus, squalene, 2-heptanone, and 4-ethyl phenol were indeed male pheromone molecules in rats. Our study also indicates that E,E-beta-farnesene and E-alpha-farnesene, both richer in females than males, might be putative female pheromones...
- Dual role of preputial gland secretion and its major components in sex recognition of miceJian Xu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents in Agriculture, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Datun Road, Beijing 100101, China
Physiol Behav 95:388-94. 2008..Such a reversal of sexual attractiveness for hexadecanol and hexadecyl acetate suggests that they had opposing dual effects in sexual attractiveness in a dosage-dependent manner...
- Histopathological study of experimental and natural infections by Trypanosoma cruzi in Didelphis marsupialisJ C Araujo Carreira
Departamento de Protozoologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 91:609-18. 1996..marsupialis, the most important sylvatic reservoir of Trypanosoma cruzi, can also maintain in their anal scent glands the multiplicative forms only described in the intestinal tract of triatomine bugs...
- Odoriferous Defensive stink gland transcriptome to identify novel genes necessary for quinone synthesis in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneumJianwei Li
Department of Developmental Biology, Johann Friedrich Blumenbach Institute of Zoology and Anthropology, GZMB, Ernst Caspari Haus, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS Genet 9:e1003596. 2013..Phylogenetic analyses of these three genes indicate that they have evolved independently and specifically for chemical defense in beetles. ..
- Relatedness communicated in lemur scentToni Lyn Morelli
Northeast Climate Science Center, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Naturwissenschaften 100:769-77. 2013..This research shows that scent marks could act as a remote signal to avoid inbreeding, optimize mating opportunities, and potentially aid kin selection...
- The role of scent-marking in patchy and highly fragmented populations of the Cabrera vole (Microtus cabrerae Thomas, 1906)Luis Alexandre Piteira Gomes
Grupo de Ecossistemas e Paisagens Mediterrânicas Instituto de Ciências Agrárias e Ambientais Mediterrânicas, Universidade de Évora Núcleo da Mitra, Apartado 94, 7002 554 Evora, Portugal
Zoolog Sci 30:248-54. 2013....
- Interspecific variation of scent-marking behaviour in wild tamarins, Saguinus mystax and Saguinus fuscicollisE W Heymann
Abteilung Verhaltensforschung und Okologie, Deutsches Primatenzentrum, Gottingen, Germany
Folia Primatol (Basel) 72:253-67. 2001..They probably relate to as yet unknown differences in social and reproductive strategies of the two species...
- Dufour gland contents of ants of the Cataglyphis bicolor groupOya A Gökçen
Department of Chemistry, Keele University, Staffordshire, England
J Chem Ecol 28:71-87. 2002....
- Role of the central amygdala in social communication in Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)M Bamshad
Departments of Biology and Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta 30303, USA
Brain Res 744:15-22. 1997..These data indicate that the Ce plays a critical role in AVP-induced flank marking, although flank marking is not induced by AVP within the Ce itself...
- Effects of access to preen gland secretions on mallard plumageMathieu Giraudeau
Universite de Toulouse, UPS, EDB, UMR 5174, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062, Toulouse, France
Naturwissenschaften 97:577-81. 2010..Our study shows that preen oil acts to maintain plumage condition and suggests that feather microstructure is essential to maintain plumage waterproofness...
- Additional vinyl ketones and their pyranyl ketones in gonyleptid harvestmen (Arachnida: Opiliones) suggest these metabolites are widespread in this familyFelipe C Wouters
Chemistry Institute, State University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Nat Prod 76:1559-64. 2013..Vinyl ketone dimers (HDA dimers) were also observed in the scent gland exudate and characterized by HRMS, ¹³C NMR, and ¹H NMR chemical shifts of the pyranyl moiety...
- Psychosocial stress and volatile compounds in preputial glands of ratsLarissa A Pohorecky
Center of Alcohol Studies, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 1100, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1148:219-22. 2008..We conclude that both housing condition and rank status have significant differential effects on the preputial volatile compounds...
- Preputialectomised and intact adult male mice exhibit an elevated urinary ratio of oestradiol to creatinine in the presence of developing females, whilst promoting uterine and ovarian growth of these femalesAyesha Khan
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Reprod Fertil Dev 21:860-8. 2009..As exogenous oestrogens can promote uterine growth and other parameters of female reproductive maturation, oestradiol in males' urine may contribute to earlier sexual maturity in male-exposed females...
- Short-photoperiod exposure reduces vasopressin (V1a) receptor binding but not arginine-vasopressin-induced flank marking in male Syrian hamstersH K Caldwell
Department of Biology, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 15:971-7. 2003..However, by contrast to our predictions, short photoperiod-exposed males have significantly reduced V1aR binding in the MPOA-AH compared to long photoperiod-exposed males...
- Chemical defense in harvestmen (arachnida, opiliones): do benzoquinone secretions deter invertebrate and vertebrate predators?Glauco Machado
Museu de História Natural, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, C P 6109, 13083 970 Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Chem Ecol 31:2519-39. 2005....
- Eulemur, me lemur: the evolution of scent-signal complexity in a primate cladeJavier Delbarco-Trillo
Department of Evolutionary Anthropology, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 367:1909-22. 2012..In particular, social complexity in lemurs may have selected for olfactory complexity...
- Contribution of anal scent gland and urinary odorants to mate recognition in the ferretA L Cloe
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Physiol Behav 82:871-5. 2004..same-sex stimulus ferrets that were anesthetized and placed in the goal boxes, regardless of whether the anal scent glands of stimulus ferrets had been surgically removed or left intact...
- New terpene hydrocarbons from the alligatoridae (crocodylia, reptilia)Stefan Schulz
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Hagenring 30, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
J Nat Prod 66:34-8. 2003....
- Chemical characterization of territorial marking fluid of male Bengal tiger, Panthera tigrisB V Burger
Laboratory for Ecological Chemistry, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602, South Africa
J Chem Ecol 34:659-71. 2008....
- Behavioral discrimination between circumgenital odor from peri-ovulatory dominant and anovulatory female common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus)T E Smith
Department of Psychology, University of Nebraska, Omaha, USA
Am J Primatol 46:265-84. 1998..Chemical odors specific to the periovulatory and luteal phases of the ovarian cycle may play a role in mediating behavioral interactions among marmosets...
- A simple floral fragrance and unusual osmophore structure in Cyclopogon elatus (Orchidaceae)A P Wiemer
Laboratorio de Biología Floral, IMBIV CONICET UNCba, Cordoba, Argentina
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 11:506-14. 2009..Gland anatomy and position on the outside of the perianth are unusual for scent glands in general...
- Behavioural responses of desert gerbil, Meriones hurrianae after removal of scent marking glandMohd Idris
All India Network Project on Rodent control, Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur 342 003, India
Indian J Exp Biol 49:555-7. 2011..The role of such altering behaviors of M. hurrianae and their impact on social organization are discussed...
- Nitrogen-containing compounds in the scent gland secretions of European cladonychiid harvestmen (Opiliones, Laniatores, Travunioidea)Günther Raspotnig
Institute of Zoology, Karl Franzens University, Universitatsplatz 2, 8010, Graz, Austria
J Chem Ecol 37:912-21. 2011The exocrine secretions from prominently developed prosomal scent glands in four species of the European laniatorean harvestman genus Holoscotolemon (Laniatores, Travunioidea, Cladonychiidae) were analyzed by gas chromatography - mass ..
- High conservatism in the composition of scent gland secretions in cyphophthalmid harvestmen: evidence from pettalidaeGünther Raspotnig
Institute of Zoology, Karl Franzens University, Universitatsplatz 2, 8010, Graz, Austria
J Chem Ecol 38:437-40. 2012..g. from families Sironidae and Stylocellidae), a highly conservative chemistry of cyphophthalmid secretions is apparent, based on a restricted number of methylketones and naphthoquinones...
- Gender differences in the anatomy of the perineal glands in Guinea pigs and the effect of castrationT M Iburg
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, DK 1870, Denmark
Anat Histol Embryol 42:65-71. 2013..The dense keratin layer in the perineal sac was thicker in males than in both castrated males and females and could contribute to the concrement formation seen mainly in males...
- [Establishment of two-dimensional electrophoresis system of caudal gland]Shu Fen Li
Institute of Special Wild Economic Animal and Plant Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Changchun 132109, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 37:2542-7. 2012..To establish an effective separation system of 2-DE for the proteome of caudal gland, and provide foundation for revealing the mechanisms of histological development and pharmacological activities...
- Patterns of male scent-marking in Propithecus edwardsi of Ranomafana National Park, MadagascarSharon T Pochron
Department of Anthropology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Am J Primatol 65:103-15. 2005..Since scent-marking behavior tracked seasons and varied with both dominance and natal status, it may serve multiple functions in males...
- Morphology and volatile compounds of metathoracic scent gland in Tessaratoma papillosa (Drury) (Hemiptera: Tessaratomidae)D Zhao
Environment and Plant Protection Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences Key Laboratory of Integrated Pest Management on Tropical Crops, Ministry of Agriculture, Danzhou, Hainan, People s Republic of China
Neotrop Entomol 41:278-82. 2012..Morphology and ultrastructure of the metathoracic scent glands (MTGs) were studied under stereo and scanning electron microscopy, and the volatile compounds of MTGs from both ..
- Immunohistochemical evidence: testicular and scented glandular androgen synthesis in muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus) during the breeding seasonQ Li
College of Biological Science and Technology, Beijing Forestry University, China
Eur J Histochem 55:e32. 2011....
- A comparison of scent marking between a monogamous and promiscuous species of peromyscus: pair bonded males do not advertise to novel femalesElizabeth A Becker
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e32002. 2012..Our data suggest that communication through scent-marking can diverge significantly between species based on mating system and that there are physiological mechanisms that can inhibit responsiveness of males to female cues...
- Immunolocalization of inhibin/activin subunit proteins during the breeding season in testes and scented glands of muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus)Xiaoting Ma
College of Biological Science and Technology, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing 100083, PR China
J Vet Med Sci 73:1199-205. 2011....
- Oral benzo[a]pyrene in Cyp1a1/1b1(-/-) double-knockout mice: Microarray analysis during squamous cell carcinoma formation in preputial gland ductMarina Galvez-Peralta
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Int J Cancer 132:2065-75. 2013..The mechanism by which cancer-related genes are responsible for SCC tumor progression in the PGD remains to be elucidated...
- Oral benzo[a]pyrene: understanding pharmacokinetics, detoxication, and consequences--Cyp1 knockout mouse lines as a paradigmDaniel W Nebert
Department of Environmental Health, and the Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, P O Box 670056, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Mol Pharmacol 84:304-13. 2013....
- Reptilian chemistry: volatile compounds from paracloacal glands of the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus)Silvina García-Rubio
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 1301, USA
J Chem Ecol 28:769-81. 2002..Major differences are indicated in the composition of the paracloacal gland secretion of C. acutus and that of another crocodylid, the African dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis)...
- Otter scent signals age, sex, and reproductive statusEleanor F Kean
Cardiff University Otter Project, Biomedical Science Building, Museum Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3AX, UK
Chem Senses 36:555-64. 2011..The scent of pregnant and lactating females was highly differentiated from male and juvenile scent, but anecdotal reports suggest females avoid communication during these times...
- Communication by olfactory signals in rabbits: its role in reproductionAngel I Melo
Centro de Investigacion en Reproduccion Animal, CINVESTAV Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala, Tlaxcala, Tlax, Mexico
Vitam Horm 83:351-71. 2010..Estradiol, progesterone, and prolactin regulate the emission of an olfactory cue that also triggers nipple-search behavior in the pups, but its chemical identity and relation with the MP are unclear...
- Adrenomedullin in mammalian and human skin glands including the mammary glandUlrich Welsch
Department of Anatomy, University of Munich, Germany
Acta Histochem 104:65-72. 2002..has been localized immunhistochemically in a variety of skin glands of humans, elephants and impalas: apocrine scent glands, eccrine sweat glands, holocrine glands and mammary glands...
- Tactical release of a sexually-selected pheromone in a swordtail fishGil G Rosenthal
Department of Biology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16994. 2011..it is generally assumed that most fish pheromones are passively released since most fishes lack specialized scent glands or scent-marking behavior...
- Biosynthetic pathways of the sex pheromone components and substrate selectivity of the oxidation enzymes working in pheromone glands of the fall webworm, Hyphantria cuneaRyutaro Kiyota
Graduate School of Bio Applications and Systems Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Koganei, Tokyo 184 8588, Japan
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 41:362-9. 2011..The low selectivity indicated that the species-specific pheromone of the H. cunea female was mainly due to the critical formation of the precursor of each component...
- Extrabuccal infralabial secretion outlets in Dromophis, Mimophis and Psammophis species (Serpentes, Colubridae, Psammophiini). A probable substitute for 'self-rubbing' and cloacal scent gland functions, and a cue for a taxonomic accountCornelius C de Haan
C R Biol 326:275-86. 2003..This direct marking seems to substitute for a function of both the special nasal gland and the cloacal scent glands during social activity of the snakes in trees or shrubs...
- Chemical communication and reproduction in the gray short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica)John D Harder
Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Vitam Horm 83:373-99. 2010..Neuroendocrine correlates of pheromonal induction of estrus include elevated plasma estradiol and upregulation of progesterone receptors in hypothalamic regions that control reproductive behavior...
- Oral benzo[a]pyrene-induced cancer: two distinct types in different target organs depend on the mouse Cyp1 genotypeZhanquan Shi
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Int J Cancer 127:2334-50. 2010..This oral BaP mouse paradigm represents an example of "gene-environment interactions" in which the same exposure of carcinogen results in altered target organ and tumor type, as a function of just 1 or 2 globally absent genes...
- Functional context of scent-marking in Callithrix penicillataDanilo G R Oliveira
Laboratório de Comportamento Animal, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil
Folia Primatol (Basel) 81:73-85. 2010..This suggests distinct functions for scent-marking for intra- versus intergroup communication. We also found a positive correlation between rate of scent-marking and height in the resource tree and between exudativory and air humidity...
- Role of male scent glands in improving poison bait acceptance in female rats, Rattus norvegicusR Selvaraj
Department of Animal Science, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli 620 024, India
Indian J Exp Biol 40:53-7. 2002..Among these two scent glands, preputial gland extract was more effective than cheek gland extract in increasing the bait acceptance...
- The orbitofacial glands of bats: an investigation of the potential correlation of gland structure with social organizationSusan J Rehorek
Department of Biology, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania 16057 1326, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293:1433-48. 2010..There does, however, appear to be a correlation between the presence of at least one well developed exocrine gland and the level of communality and known olfactory acuity, best documented in Artibeus, Desmodus, and Miniopterus...
- The role of scent marks in female choice of territories and refuges in a lizard (Podarcis hispanica)Pau Carazo
Instituto Cavanilles de Biodiversidad y Biologia Evolutiva, Universidad de Valencia, Spain
J Comp Psychol 125:362-5. 2011..Our results suggest that, like males in this species, females are able to use male scent marks to assess the body size of resident territorial males, but do not show a preference for territories occupied by large males...
- Pathology of interdigital glands in a wild Japanese serow (Capricornis crispus) infected with parapoxvirusY Suzuki
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 59:1063-5. 1997..By electron microscopy, mature and immature viral particles were present in the cytoplasm. These glands act as scent glands, and lesions in this organ probably affected the ecological adaptation of this individual.
- Cutaneous glands of male and female impalas (Aepyceros melampus): seasonal activity changes and secretory mechanismsU Welsch
Anatomische Anstalt, Lehrstuhl II, Universitat Munchen, Pettenkoferstr 11, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 292:377-94. 1998..This study supports the hypothesis that (1) forehead glands in the male have a signaling role in the rut and (2) the metatarsal glands have a more general, probably social role maintaining and restoring contact between herd members...
- Effects of vomeronasal organ removal on individual odor discrimination, sex-odor preference, and scent marking by female hamstersA Petrulis
Department of Psychology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Physiol Behav 66:73-83. 1999....
- Epidermal glands in Squamata: microscopical examination of precloacal glands in Amphisbaena alba (Amphisbaenia, Amphisbaenidae)C Jared
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Instituto Butantan, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Morphol 241:197-206. 1999..In this way, the trail might have an extensive area for volatilization of semiochemicals, constituting an efficient means of intraspecific communication inside the tunnels...
- Comparative morphology of the cloacal scent gland in snakes (Serpentes: Reptilia)B A Young
Department of Biology, Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania 18042, USA
Anat Rec 256:127-38. 1999..In both cases there was no apparent relationship between phylogeny and the morphological variation of the cloacal scent gland...
- Identification of testosterone-dependent volatile compounds and proteins in the preputial gland of rat Rattus norvegicusPonnirul Ponmanickam
Center for Pheromone Technology, Department of Animal Science, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli 620 024, Tamil Nadu, India
Gen Comp Endocrinol 167:35-43. 2010..This study leads to the conclusion that testosterone-dependent compounds and sex-associated protein are present in the preputial gland of rat which may act as a sex pheromone and pheromone carrier, respectively...
- Description of the postcloacal glands of Plethodon cinereus, the red-backed salamander, during bouts of scent markingR R Simons
Department of Biology, Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA 70122, USA
J Morphol 242:257-69. 1999..These findings are additional evidence that the postcloacal glands are the site of scent mark production...
- Female marmoset monkeys (Callithrix jacchus) can be identified from the chemical composition of their scent marksT E Smith
School of Biology and Biochemistry, Queen s University of Belfast, Medical Biology Centre, Belfast, UK
Chem Senses 26:449-58. 2001....
- Immunolocalization of androgen receptor, aromatase cytochrome P450, estrogen receptor alpha and estrogen receptor beta proteins during the breeding season in scent glands of muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus)Lu Lu
College of Biological Science and Technology, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing, China
Zoolog Sci 28:727-32. 2011..of androgen receptor (AR), P450arom, estrogen receptor alpha (ERa) and estrogen receptor beta (ERβ) in muskrat scent glands during the breeding season...
- Effect of photoperiod and exogenous melatonin on correlates of estrus in the domestic rabbitR Hudson
, , , Germany
J Comp Physiol A 175:573-9. 1994....
- Effect of food plants on the volume of repellent secretion obtained in adult Zonocerus variegatus (Orthoptera: Pyrgomorphidae)A B Idowu
Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Rev Biol Trop 49:679-84. 2001..variegatus from the two seasons irrespective of the food plant. Similarly, food plants gave no significant difference on the volume of secretion between the two seasons...
- Occurrence of certain cuticular structures confirms functionality of dorsal abdominal scent glands in Acanthosomatidae (Heteroptera: Pentatomoidea)J Vilimova
Charles University, Faculty of Science, Department of Zoology, Vinicna 7, Prague 2, Czech Republic
Bull Entomol Res 102:29-42. 2012..Adults of both sexes have functional anterior dorsal abdominal scent glands (DAGs)...
- Functional anatomy of scent glands in Paranemastoma quadripunctatum (Opiliones, Dyspnoi, Nemastomatidae)Miriam Schaider
Institute of Zoology, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
J Morphol 272:1182-91. 2011..b>Scent glands comprise large, hollow sacs on either side of the prosoma, each of these opening to the outside via one orifice ..
- Fine structure and chemical analysis of the metathoracic scent gland secretion in Graphosoma lineatum (Linnaeus, 1758) (Heteroptera, Pentatomidae)Dilek Durak
Bozok University, Faculty of Arts and Science, Department of Biology, Yozgat, Turkey
C R Biol 332:34-42. 2009Morphology and ultrastructure of metathoracic scent glands (MTGs) of Graphosoma lineatum (Heteroptera, Pentatomidae) were studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM)...
- Stereoselective synthesis of enantiomerically pure nupharamine alkaloids from castoreumAlexander Stoye
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz, Duesbergweg 10 14, 55128 Mainz, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 48:2228-30. 2009..These reactions are all controlled by the carbohydrate. Protonation of the enolate after cleavage of the auxiliary leads to epimer 3...
- Semiochemistry of the goldeneyed lacewing Chrysopa oculata: attraction of males to a male-produced pheromoneQing He Zhang
USDA ARS Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, B 007 BARC West, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Chem Ecol 30:1849-70. 2004..rufilabris. Thus, (1R,2S,5R,8R)-iridodial (or its enantiomer) is now identified as a male-produced male aggregation pheromone for Co. oculata, the first pheromone identified for lacewings...
- Exogenous melatonin administration affects self-grooming and conspecific odor preferences in long-photoperiod meadow voles (Microtus pennsylvanicus)Michael H Ferkin
Department of Biology, Ellington Hall, The University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152 6080, USA
Physiol Behav 91:255-63. 2007....
- Differential utilization of pyrrolizidine alkaloids by males of a danaid butterfly, Parantica sita, for the production of danaidone in the alar scent organKeiichi Honda
Division of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, Hiroshima University, Higashihiroshima 739 8521, Japan
J Chem Ecol 31:959-64. 2005..sita males can only successfully convert limited chemical types of PAs into danaidone, and further suggest that in the field, males selectively ingest particular PAs that are readily transformable into danaidone...
- Fine structure and chemical analysis of the metathoracic scent gland of Eurygaster maura (Linnaeus, 1758) (Heteroptera: Scutelleridae)Dilek Durak
Bozok University, Faculty of Arts and Science, Department of Biology, 06100 Divanliyolu, Yozgat, Turkey
Folia Biol (Krakow) 55:133-41. 2007The morphology and ultrastructure of the metathoracic scent glands (MTG) of Eurygaster maura were studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM)...
- An antiaphrodisiac in Heliconius melpomene butterfliesStefan Schulz
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Hagenring 30, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
J Chem Ecol 34:82-93. 2008..The abdominal scent glands of males contained a complex odor bouquet, consisting of the volatile compound (E)-beta-ocimene together with ..
- Chemical composition of scent marks in the ringtailed lemur (Lemur catta): glandular differences, seasonal variation, and individual signaturesElizabeth S Scordato
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0383, USA
Chem Senses 32:493-504. 2007The apocrine and sebaceous scent glands of ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta) appear to serve different social functions...
- ENDOCRINE FACTORS CONTROLLING BEHAVIORAL DEVELOPMENTGisela Epple; Fiscal Year: 1990In the saddle-back tamarin, a South American primate, chemical signals deposited by marking with specialized scent glands are important in aggressive behavior and in the establishment of social dominance...
- SOCIAL AND PHYSIOLOGICAL REGULATION OF MATURATIONRUSSELL FERNALD; Fiscal Year: 2007..are active in the transition between dominant and non-dominant states? 4) What are the anatomical connections to the GnRH neurons? 5) Are the neuronal firing patterns different between dominant and non-dominant males? ..
- Molecular Genetics of Cadmium ToxicityDaniel W Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CYP1A1 GENE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICITYDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROGENESIS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE VISUAL SYSTEMRUSSELL FERNALD; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since in our retinal model new rod photoreceptors are integrated into fully functional retinal tissue, this may serve as a particularly useful model for understanding adult neurogenesis. ..
- GENOTOXICITY IN CYP1A2 DEFICIENT TRANSGENIC MICEDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..S. population. ..
- PAHs: Balance of Detoxication vs Metabolic ActivationDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..dissemination of ingested BaP and will be informative in clinical studies in which we would determine which haplotypes of these three human genes might be associated with resistance vs. sensitivity to PAH-induced toxicity and cancer. ..
- Individual Differences in OlfactionCHARLES WYSOCKI; Fiscal Year: 2008..To do this, we will assess individual behavioral responses to odors and characterize the genes for olfactory receptors that are found within the person's genome. ..
- The Role of Corticotropin-Releasing Factor in Primate Maternal BehaviorWendy Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, this research will have implications for the understanding and treatment of stress-related psychopathology in women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Physical Activity and Adaptation to StressSerge Campeau; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neural Basis of Processive StressSerge Campeau; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Neural Basis of Processive StressSerge Campeau; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..