- The multifunctional fish gill: dominant site of gas exchange, osmoregulation, acid-base regulation, and excretion of nitrogenous waste
David H Evans
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
Physiol Rev 85:97-177. 2005
..Nevertheless, substantial questions about the evolution of these mechanisms and control remain...
- Transcriptomic signatures of attachment, NF-κB suppression and IFN stimulation in the catfish gill following columnaris bacterial infection
The Fish Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures and Program of Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Aquatic Genomics Unit, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 38:169-80. 2012
- High-throughput sequencing and analysis of the gill tissue transcriptome from the deep-sea hydrothermal vent mussel Bathymodiolus azoricus
Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores, 9901 861 Horta, Portugal
BMC Genomics 11:559. 2010
..azoricus transcriptome using gills tissues as the primary source of immune transcripts given its strategic role in filtering the surrounding ..
- Cellular and humoral factors involved in the response of rainbow trout gills to Ichthyophthirius multifiliis infections: molecular and immunohistochemical studies
Moonika M Olsen
Laboratory of Aquatic Pathobiology, Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Stigbøjlen 7, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Fish Shellfish Immunol 30:859-69. 2011
The parasitic ciliate Ichthyophthirius multifiliis infecting skin, fins and gills of fish induces a protective immune response in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) surviving the infection and a similar protection can be conferred by i...
- Both seawater acclimation and environmental ammonia exposure lead to increases in mRNA expression and protein abundance of Na⁺:K⁺:2Cl⁻ cotransporter in the gills of the climbing perch, Anabas testudineus
Ai M Loong
Department of Biological Science, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Comp Physiol B 182:491-506. 2012
..This study aimed to clone and sequence the Na⁺:K⁺:2Cl⁻ cotransporter (nkcc) from the gills of A...
- Experimental evidence for direct in situ binding of IgM and IgT to early trophonts of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Fouquet) in the gills of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum)
L von Gersdorff Jørgensen
Laboratory of Aquatic Pathobiology, Section of Biomedicine, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Fish Dis 34:749-55. 2011
..that IgT and IgM bind to surface structures, including cilia, on the early feeding stage of the parasite in the gills of immune rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, shortly (2 h) after invasion...
- Intracellular Oceanospirillales bacteria inhabit gills of Acesta bivalves
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 74:523-33. 2010
A novel bacterium was discovered in the gills of the large bivalve Acesta excavata (Limidae) from coral reefs on the northeast Atlantic margin near the shelf break of the fishing ground Haltenbanken of Norway, and confirmed present in A...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in the gills of the climbing perch, Anabas testudineus, is involved in both hypoosmotic regulation during seawater acclimation and active ammonia excretion during ammonia exposure
Yuen K Ip
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore 117543, Republic of Singapore
J Comp Physiol B 182:793-812. 2012
..acclimation or exposure to 100 mmol l⁻¹ NH₄Cl in freshwater on its mRNA and protein expressions in, the gills of Anabas testudineus. There were 4,530 bp coding for 1,510 amino acids in the cftr cDNA sequence from A...
- Ion regulation in fish gills: recent progress in the cellular and molecular mechanisms
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei 115, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301:R28-47. 2011
..b>Gills are one of the major organs conducting the internal ionic and acid-base regulation, with specialized ionocytes as ..
- Comparison of molecular and histological changes in zebrafish gills exposed to metallic nanoparticles
Robert J Griffitt
Department of Coastal Science, University of Southern Mississippi, Ocean Springs, Mississippi 39654, USA
Toxicol Sci 107:404-15. 2009
..Morphological and transcriptional responses of the gills differed among various nanomaterials and between nanoparticulate and soluble species...
- Ion uptake and acid secretion in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Exp Biol 212:1745-52. 2009
..genetic databases for zebrafish, we studied the molecular/cellular mechanisms of ion regulation in fish skin/gills. In our recently proposed model, there are at least three subtypes of ionocytes in zebrafish skin/gills: Na(+)-K(+)..
- New insights into fish ion regulation and mitochondrion-rich cells
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, 115, Taiwan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 148:479-97. 2007
..b>Gills, a unique and highly studied organ in research on fish osmoregulation and ionoregulation, provide an excellent ..
- Evaluation of genotoxicity in gills and hemolymph of clam Ruditapes decussatus fed with the toxic dinoflagellate Prorocentrum lima
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of A Coruna, Spain
J Toxicol Environ Health A 74:971-9. 2011
..An increase in DNA damage was observed at the lower concentration and only in gill tissue. The results obtained may contribute to a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying genotoxic effects induced by OA on bivalves...
- Metabolic responses in gills of Manila clam Ruditapes philippinarum exposed to copper using NMR-based metabolomics
Key Laboratory of Coastal Zone Environment Processes, CAS, Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Coastal Zone Environment Processes, Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yantai 264003, PR China
Mar Environ Res 72:33-9. 2011
..branched chain amino acids and decrease in succinate, alanine and dimethylamine in the copper-exposed clam gills during 96 h exposure period...
- A low-pathogenic variant of infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAV-HPR0) is highly prevalent and causes a non-clinical transient infection in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in the Faroe Islands
Debes H Christiansen
Food and Veterinary Agency, National Reference Laboratory for Fish Diseases, Torshavn, Faroe Islands
J Gen Virol 92:909-18. 2011
..This risk is probably being further reduced by practical management strategies adopted in the Faroes and aimed at reducing the potential for maintenance and adaptation of ISAV-HPR0...
- A structure-function analysis of ion transport in crustacean gills and excretory organs
Carolina A Freire
Departamento de Fisiologia, Setor de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, 81531 990, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 151:272-304. 2008
Osmotic and ionic regulation in the Crustacea is mostly accomplished by the multifunctional gills, together with the excretory organs...
- Copper toxicity in gills of the teleost fish, Oreochromis niloticus: effects in apoptosis induction and cell proliferation
Sandra Mariza Monteiro
Department of Biology and Environment CITAB, University of Tras os Montes and Alto Douro, Apartado 1013, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
Aquat Toxicol 94:219-28. 2009
..niloticus gill. In addition, in the gills of fish exposed to copper there was no increase in the estimated relative volume of apoptotic cells, indicating ..
- ABCB- and ABCC-type transporters confer multixenobiotic resistance and form an environment-tissue barrier in bivalve gills
Department of Cell Toxicology, UFZ, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Permoserstrasse 15, Leipzig, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1919-29. 2008
..protein in mussel gill tissue and show activity and expression of two xenobiotic transporter types in the gills, where they provide an effective structural barrier against chemicals...
- Short-term transformation and long-term replacement of branchial chloride cells in killifish transferred from seawater to freshwater, revealed by morphofunctional observations and a newly established 'time-differential double fluorescent staining' techniq
Department of Aquatic Bioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Exp Biol 206:4113-23. 2003
- Structure and function of ionocytes in the freshwater fish gill
Agnieszka K Dymowska
Department of Biological Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6H 5N7
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 184:282-92. 2012
..We focus on the recent advancement in our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of ion and acid-base regulation as represented by ionocyte subtypes found in rainbow trout, killifish, tilapia and zebrafish gill...
- Mechanisms and regulation of Na(+) uptake by freshwater fish
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5, Canada
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 184:249-56. 2012
..In this review, we summarize the current understanding of these three Na(+) uptake mechanisms and discuss their regulation by endocrine (cortisol and prolactin) and neurohumoral (catecholamines) factors...
- Gills are needed for ionoregulation before they are needed for O(2) uptake in developing zebrafish, Danio rerio
Department of Zoology, Brandon University, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada R7A 6A9
J Exp Biol 205:1787-94. 2002
..method was used to determine whether O(2) uptake or ionoregulation is the first to shift from the skin to the gills in developing zebrafish, Danio rerio...
- Cadmium induces hydrogen peroxide production and initiates hydrogen peroxide-dependent apoptosis in the gill of freshwater crab, Sinopotamon henanense
School of Life Science, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, China
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 156:195-201. 2012
..We show that in the gills of the freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense Cd induced apoptosis, in a time- and concentration-dependent manner, ..
- Tissue-specific cadmium and metallothionein levels in freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense during acute exposure to waterborne cadmium
School of Life Science and Technology, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, People s Republic of China
Environ Toxicol 23:393-400. 2008
..It is clear from our results that a positive correlation was shown between MT induction and Cd accumulation both in hepatopancreas and gill. Therefore, MT induction can be considered as a biomarker for acute waterborne Cd pollution...
- Epithelial mitochondria-rich cells and associated innervation in adult and developing zebrafish
Michael G Jonz
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
J Comp Neurol 497:817-32. 2006
..Evidence is presented suggestive of widespread association of MRCs with the nervous system in transport epithelia and the neural control of MRC-mediated ion regulation in teleost fish...
- Toxic effects of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug diclofenac. Part II: cytological effects in liver, kidney, gills and intestine of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
Steinbeis Transfer Center for Ecotoxicology and Ecophysiology, Blumenstr 13, D 72108 Rottenburg, Germany
Aquat Toxicol 68:151-66. 2004
In the present study, cytopathology was investigated in the liver, kidney, gills and gut of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) exposed to five different concentrations (1, 5, 20, 100 and 500 microg/L) of the anti-inflammatory drug ..
- Evidence for an apical Na-Cl cotransporter involved in ion uptake in a teleost fish
Department of Anatomy, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Miyamae ku, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
J Exp Biol 211:2584-99. 2008
..From tilapia gills, we cloned four full-length cDNAs homologous to human cation-chloride cotransporters and designated them as ..
- Molecular evidence for association of chlamydiales bacteria with epitheliocystis in leafy seadragon (Phycodurus eques), silver perch (Bidyanus bidyanus), and barramundi (Lates calcarifer)
Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:284-90. 2006
..Morphologically, all three species showed epitheliocystis cysts in the gills, and barramundi also showed lymphocystis cysts in the skin...
- Characterization of "Candidatus piscichlamydia salmonis" (order Chlamydiales), a chlamydia-like bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 3089, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:5286-97. 2004
..intracellular gram-negative bacteria associated with epitheliocystis in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), gills with proliferative lesions were collected for histopathology, conventional transmission and immunoelectron ..
- Uptake and biological responses to nano-Fe versus soluble FeCl3 in excised mussel gills
Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK
Anal Bioanal Chem 396:657-66. 2010
Nano-Fe particle uptake was experimentally examined in vitro using excised gills and blood cells of the edible blue mussel Mytilus sp...
- Identification and characterization of a novel intraepithelial lymphoid tissue in the gills of Atlantic salmon
Section of Anatomy and Pathology, Department of Basic Sciences and Aquatic Medicine, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Anat 213:202-9. 2008
In addition to being the respiratory organ in fish, the gills form a barrier against the external milieu...
- Novel Chlamydiales associated with epitheliocystis in a leopard shark Triakis semifasciata
Institute of Veterinary Pathology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 268, Zurich 8057, Switzerland
Dis Aquat Organ 91:75-81. 2010
..A greater understanding of the genetic diversity of marine Chlamydiales will assist our attempts to manage and control epitheliocystis outbreaks and to understand the evolution of this unique obligate intracellular pathogen...
- A thymus candidate in lampreys
Department of Developmental Immunology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Stuebeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 470:90-4. 2011
..These findings suggest that the similarities underlying the dual nature of the adaptive immune systems in the two sister groups of vertebrates extend to primary lymphoid organs...
- Environmental acquisition of thiotrophic endosymbionts by deep-sea mussels of the genus bathymodiolus
Yong Jin Won
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Moss Landing, California 95039 0628, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:6785-92. 2003
..Taken together, these findings are consistent with an environmental source of thiotrophic symbionts in Bathymodiolus mussels, although an environmentally "leaky" system of vertical transmission could not be excluded...
- Dual symbiosis of the vent shrimp Rimicaris exoculata with filamentous gamma- and epsilonproteobacteria at four Mid-Atlantic Ridge hydrothermal vent fields
Jillian M Petersen
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Celsiusstr 1, 28359, Bremen, Germany
Environ Microbiol 12:2204-18. 2010
..We hypothesize that biogeography and host-symbiont selectivity play a role in structuring the epibiosis of R. exoculata...
- Effects of hypothermia on gene expression in zebrafish gills: upregulation in differentiation and function of ionocytes as compensatory responses
Ming Yi Chou
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 115 Taiwan
J Exp Biol 211:3077-84. 2008
..This paved the way to investigate the role of ionoregulatory genes in zebrafish gills during cold acclimation...
- Unexpected co-occurrence of six bacterial symbionts in the gills of the cold seep mussel Idas sp. (Bivalvia: Mytilidae)
UMR 7138, Systématique, Adaptation, Evolution, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 7 quai St Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
Environ Microbiol 10:433-45. 2008
- Monitoring trace metals in different tissues of Cyprinus carpio from the Indus River in Pakistan
School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Environ Monit Assess 170:645-56. 2010
..4×2 factorial study investigated the bioaccumulation of selected metals (Mn, Pb, Zn, Hg and Cr) in four tissues (gills, liver, muscle and skin) of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) domiciled in two sites (upstream and downstream) of ..
- Hypoxia induces adaptive and reversible gross morphological changes in crucian carp gills
Department of Biology, University of Oslo, PO Box 1051, 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Exp Biol 206:3667-73. 2003
We show that crucian carp (Carassius carassius) living in normoxic (aerated) water have gills that lack protruding lamellae, the primary site of O(2) uptake in fish. Such an unusual trait leads to a very small respiratory surface area...
- Molecular characterization of "Candidatus Parilichlamydia carangidicola," a novel Chlamydia-like epitheliocystis agent in yellowtail kingfish, Seriola lalandi (Valenciennes), and the proposal of a new family, "Candidatus Parilichlamydiaceae" fam. nov. (or
M C Stride
University of Tasmania, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:1590-7. 2013
..Based on these observations, we propose this bacterium of yellowtail kingfish be known as "Candidatus Parilichlamydia carangidicola" and that the new family be known as "Candidatus Parilichlamydiaceae."..
- Changes in gill H+-ATPase and Na+/K+-ATPase expression and activity during freshwater acclimation of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Jason S Bystriansky
Department of Biological Sciences, 2325 N Clifton Avenue, DePaul University, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Exp Biol 214:2435-42. 2011
..Taken together, these data suggest an important role for Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase in freshwater acclimation in Atlantic salmon...
- Composition and dynamics of the gill microbiota of an invasive Indo-Pacific oyster in the eastern Mediterranean Sea
The Porter School of Environmental Studies, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Environ Microbiol 13:1467-76. 2011
..We suggest that this conserved association between bacteria and oyster reflects either a symbiosis between the oyster host and some of its bacteria, a co-invasion of both parties, or both...
- Comparative morphological and molecular studies on Myxobolus spp. infecting chub from the river Danube, Hungary, and description of M. muellericus sp. n
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, PO Box 18, 1581 Budapest, Hungary
Dis Aquat Organ 73:49-61. 2006
..1 were also frequently found in the intestinal wall. Despite similarities of some species in spore morphology, 18S rDNA sequences showed clear differences between the species examined...
- Dynamic transcriptomic profiles of zebrafish gills in response to zinc depletion
Mineral Metabolism Group, Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London SE1 9NH, UK
BMC Genomics 11:548. 2010
- Detection of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) by RT-PCR after cohabitant exposure in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar
A B Mikalsen
Department of Pharmacology, Microbiology and Food Hygiene, The Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo
Dis Aquat Organ 47:175-81. 2001
..The major port of ISAV entry was most likely the gills, but oral entry could not be excluded...
- Effect of atrazine and chlorpyrifos exposure on cytochrome P450 contents and enzyme activities in common carp gills
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Northeast Agricultural University, Harbin 150030, PR China
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 94:28-36. 2013
..This study aimed at investigating the effects of ATR, CPF and mixture on common carp gills following 40-d exposure and 40-d recovery experiments...
- Microarray analysis highlights immune response of pacific oysters as a determinant of resistance to summer mortality
IFREMER, UMR 100 Physiologie et Ecophysiologie des Mollusques Marins, Centre de Brest, BP 70, 29280 Plouzane, France
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 14:203-17. 2012
..In addition, we conducted additional microarray profiling of two other tissues, gills, and muscle, and both showed an overrepresentation of immune genes (46%) among those that are differentially ..
- Gene expression and morphological localization of NHE3, NCC and NKCC1a in branchial mitochondria-rich cells of Mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) acclimated to a wide range of salinities
Department of Aquatic Bioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 151:151-8. 2008
..The mRNA expression levels of Na(+)/H(+) exchanger-3 (NHE3) and Na(+)/Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) in the gills were increased with decreasing environmental salinity, whereas Na(+)/K(+)/2Cl(-) cotransporter-1a (NKCC1a) ..
- Male sea lampreys, Petromyzon marinus L., excrete a sex pheromone from gill epithelia
Michael J Siefkes
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Biol Reprod 69:125-32. 2003
..series of experiments to demonstrate that release of this pheromone into water takes place exclusively through the gills. In a behavioral maze, water conditioned with the anterior region of spermiating males induced an increase of ..
- DNA damage and transcriptional changes in the gills of mytilus galloprovincialis exposed to nanomolar doses of combined metal salts (Cd, Cu, Hg)
Department of Biology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e54602. 2013
..Focusing on the mussel gills, first target of toxic water contaminants and actively proliferating tissue, we detected significant dose-related ..
- A microarray-based transcriptomic time-course of hyper- and hypo-osmotic stress signaling events in the euryhaline fish Gillichthys mirabilis: osmosensors to effectors
Tyler G Evans
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, CA 93950, USA
J Exp Biol 211:3636-49. 2008
..Our data indicate multiple major signaling pathways work in concert to modify diverse effectors, and that these molecules operate within a framework of regulatory proteins...
- Developmental expression of Pax1/9 genes in urochordate and hemichordate gills: insight into function and evolution of the pharyngeal epithelium
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Development 126:2539-50. 1999
The epithelium of the pharynx contributes to the formation of gills in hemichordates, urochordates, cephalochordates and primitive vertebrates, and is therefore a key structure for understanding developmental mechanisms underlying the ..
- Differential effects of cortisol and 11-deoxycorticosterone on ion transport protein mRNA levels in gills of two euryhaline teleosts, Mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) and striped bass (Morone saxatilis)
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Endocrinol 209:115-26. 2011
..The effects were tested in gills from both fresh water (FW)- and seawater (SW)-acclimated fish...
- Gas exchange modelling: no more gills, please
C E W Hahn
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:2-15. 2003
- Influence of salinity on the localization of Na+/K+-ATPase, Na+/K+/2Cl- cotransporter (NKCC) and CFTR anion channel in chloride cells of the Hawaiian goby (Stenogobius hawaiiensis)
Stephen D McCormick
USGS, Leetown Science Center, Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center, Turners Falls, MA 01370, USA
J Exp Biol 206:4575-83. 2003
..We therefore examined the influence of salinity on immunolocalization of Na+/K+-ATPase, NKCC and CFTR in the gills of the Hawaiian goby (Stenogobius hawaiiensis)...
- Expression of metallothionein cDNA in a freshwater crab, Sinopotamon yangtsekiense, exposed to cadmium
School of Life Science, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, Shanxi, China
Exp Toxicol Pathol 64:253-8. 2012
This paper aims at evaluating the induction of metallothionein (MT) synthesis in gills, heart and hepatopancreas of a freshwater crab, Sinopotamon yangtsekiense...
- Epitheliocystis in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., farmed in fresh water in Ireland is associated with 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola' infection
S O Mitchell
Vet Aqua International, Oranmore, Ireland
J Fish Dis 33:665-73. 2010
..Both RT-PCR and histopathological examination indicate that the organism disappears from the gills 4-6 weeks post-transfer.
- Biochemical markers of oxidative stress in Perna viridis exposed to mercury and temperature
X N Verlecar
National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa, India
Chem Biol Interact 167:219-26. 2007
..The elevated thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBA-RS) levels observed in gills and digestive gland under exposure to Hg, individually and combined with temperature, as also long-term ..
- CCR7 is mainly expressed in teleost gills, where it defines an IgD+IgM- B lymphocyte subset
Centro de Investigacion en Sanidad Animal, Instituto Nacional de Investigación Agraria y Alimentaria, Valdeolmos, Madrid 28130, Spain
J Immunol 192:1257-66. 2014
..early developmental stages, we detected a progressive increase in gene expression and protein CCR7 levels in the gills throughout development...
- The effects of cortisol on heat shock protein 70 levels in two fish species
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 124:97-105. 2001
- Differential responses in gills of euryhaline tilapia, Oreochromis mossambicus, to various hyperosmotic shocks
Pei Jen Wang
Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 152:544-51. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to clarify responses in gills of FW tilapia to various hyperosmotic shocks induced by BW or SW...
- Putative roles for a rhamnose binding lectin in Flavobacterium columnare pathogenesis in channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus
Benjamin H Beck
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center, Stuttgart, AR, USA
Fish Shellfish Immunol 33:1008-15. 2012
..Collectively, these findings highlight putative roles for RBL in the context of columnaris disease and reveal new aspects linking RBL regulation to feed availability...
- Effects of elevated seawater pCO(2) on gene expression patterns in the gills of the green crab, Carcinus maenas
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T2N2
BMC Genomics 12:488. 2011
..b>Gills were screened for differentially expressed gene transcripts using a 4,462-feature microarray and quantitative real-..
- A novel betaproteobacterial agent of gill epitheliocystis in seawater farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Elena R Toenshoff
Department of Microbial Ecology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 7:e32696. 2012
..In conclusion, this study identified a novel agent of epitheliocystis in sea-farmed Atlantic salmon and demonstrated that these cysts can be caused by bacteria phylogenetically distinct from the Chlamydiae...
- Bile Acid secreted by male sea lamprey that acts as a sex pheromone
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Science 296:138-41. 2002
..released in much higher amounts relative to known vertebrate steroid pheromones and may be secreted through the gills. Hence, the male of this fish species signals both its reproductive status and location to females by secreting a ..
- Co-existence of nine gill ectoparasites (Dactylogyrus: monogenea) parasitising the roach (Rutilus rutilus l.): history and present ecology
Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University, Mlynska dolina B 1, 84215, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Int J Parasitol 30:1077-88. 2000
..roles of niche specialisation and aggregation in the case of nine congeneric monogenean parasites on the gills of Roach (Rutilus rutilus L.) belonging to the genus Dactylogyrus...
- Impact of waterborne copper on the structure of gills and hepatopancreas and its impact on the content of metallothionein in juvenile giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (Crustacea: Decapoda)
School of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, 200062, People s Republic of China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 52:73-9. 2007
This study aims to elucidate both the impact of copper on the structure of the gills and hepatopancreas and the induction of metallothionein (MT) during waterborne copper exposure in juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii...
- Roles of three branchial Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase α-subunit isoforms in freshwater adaptation, seawater acclimation, and active ammonia excretion in Anabas testudineus
Yuen K Ip
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 303:R112-25. 2012
Three Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase (nka) α-subunit isoforms, nka α1a, nka α1b, and nka α1c, were identified from gills of the freshwater climbing perch Anabas testudineus...
- Common pattern of gene expression in response to hypoxia or cadmium in the gills of the European glass eel (Anguilla anguilla)
UMR CNRS 5805 EPOC, Team GEMA, Universite Bordeaux 1 and CNRS, Place du Dr Peyneau, 33120, Arcachon, France
Environ Sci Technol 41:3005-11. 2007
..Our results showed that hypoxia enhances (1) ventilation of the postlarval stage and (2) Cd accumulation in gills only at the lowest metal water concentration tested (2 microg Cd L(-1))...
- Chondrogenesis and homology of the visceral skeleton in the little skate, Leucoraja erinacea (Chondrichthyes: Batoidea)
J Andrew Gillis
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Morphol 270:628-43. 2009
..Finally, we suggest that the unique presence of certain visceral skeletal elements in chondrichthyans make oviparous chondrichthyans an ideal system for addressing questions of endoskeletal axial patterning during development...
- Expression of metallothionein mRNAs by in situ hybridization in the gills of Mytilus galloprovincialis, from natural polluted environments
Department of Animal Biology and Marine Ecology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 88:62-8. 2008
..The gills represent an organ of uptake and loss of metals in which different mechanisms are present controlling the ..
- The expression of gill Na, K-ATPase in milkfish, Chanos chanos, acclimated to seawater, brackish water and fresh water
Y M Lin
Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, 250 Kuo Kuang Road, 402 Taichung, Taiwan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 135:489-97. 2003
..In FW, the fish exhibited the highest specific activity of Na, K-ATPase (NKA) in gills, while the SW group was found to have the lowest...
- Elevated seawater PCO₂ differentially affects branchial acid-base transporters over the course of development in the cephalopod Sepia officinalis
Marian Y Hu
Biological Oceanography, Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences, Kiel, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 300:R1100-14. 2011
..a V-type H(+)-ATPase (soV-HA), and Na(+)/HCO(3)(-) cotransporter (soNBC) are colocalized in NKA-rich cells in the gills of Sepia officinalis...
- Molluscan death effector domain (DED)-containing caspase-8 gene from disk abalone (Haliotis discus discus): molecular characterization and expression analysis
Department of Marine Life Sciences, School of Marine Biomedical Sciences, Jeju National University, Jeju Special Self Governing Province 690 756, Republic of Korea
Fish Shellfish Immunol 30:480-7. 2011
..These results suggest that hdCaspase-8 may be involved in immune response reactions in disk abalone...
- Effects of nanoparticles in Mytilus edulis gills and hepatopancreas - a new threat to marine life?
Department of Biosciences, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Germany
Mar Environ Res 66:12-4. 2008
..In both, gills and hepatopancreas we analysed uptake of nanomaterials by transmission electronmicroscopy (TEM) in unstained ..
- Antioxidant deficit in gills of Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) exposed to chlorodinitrobenzene increases menadione toxicity
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, 88040 900 Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Aquat Toxicol 108:85-93. 2012
..CDNB pre-treatment (10 μM for 18 h) was able to consume cellular thiols in gills, decreasing GSH (53%) and decrease protein thiols (25%)...
- Effect of Pseudomonas sp. MT5 baths on Flavobacterium columnare infection of rainbow trout and on microbial diversity on fish skin and gills
L R Suomalainen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, PO Box 35, 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
Dis Aquat Organ 63:61-8. 2005
..Again, the antagonistic bacteria had no effect on fish mortality, which reached 95 % in both control and antagonist-treated groups in 7 d...
- Age- and size-specific patterns of heavy metals in the organs of freshwater fish Abramis brama L. populating a low-contaminated site
Balaton Limnological Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P O B 35, Tihany 8237, Hungary
Water Res 37:959-64. 2003
..The seasonal variations in the heavy metal load of bream could be attributed rather to the seasonal change in the condition factor of fish than to variations in the pollutant load of the site...
- Salinity-mediated carbonic anhydrase induction in the gills of the euryhaline green crab, Carcinus maenas
Raymond P Henry
Department of Biological Sciences, Auburn University, 101 Life Science Building, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 136:243-58. 2003
..One of the central features of this transition is an 8-fold induction of the enzyme carbonic anhydrase (CA) in the gills. This induction occurs primarily in the cytoplasmic pool of CA in the posterior, ion-transporting gills, although ..
- Active NaCl absorption across posterior gills of hyperosmoregulating Chasmagnathus granulatus
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, Ribeirão Preto 14040 901, SP, Brasil
J Exp Biol 206:1017-23. 2003
Split lamellae of posterior gills of Chasmagnathus granulatus adapted to 2.5 per thousand salinity were mounted in a modified Ussing chamber. With NaCl-saline on both sides of the preparation a transepithelial voltage (V(te)) of 4.1+/-0...
- Characterization of a Neochlamydia-like bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in cultured Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus
Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3089, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 76:27-38. 2007
..To characterize a bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in cultured charr, gills were sampled for histopathologic examination, conventional and immunoelectron microscopy, in situ hybridization, ..
- Morphogenesis of salmonid gill poxvirus associated with proliferative gill disease in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Norway
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, Thormøhlensgt 55, 5020, Bergen, Norway
Arch Virol 153:1299-309. 2008
..In the spring of 2006, a new poxvirus, salmon gill poxvirus (SGPV), was discovered on the gills of salmon suffering from PGD in fresh water in northern Norway...
- Acclimation of ion regulatory capacities in gills of marine fish under environmental hypercapnia
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Marine Animal Physiology, Am Handelshafen 12, D 27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1660-70. 2008
..family (Na(+)/HCO(3)(-) cotransporter NBC1 and Cl(-)/HCO(3)(-) exchanger AE1) were described for the first time in gills of marine fish. Benthic eelpout Zoarces viviparus were acclimated to 10,000 ppm CO(2)...
- Are we missing a mineralocorticoid in teleost fish? Effects of cortisol, deoxycorticosterone and aldosterone on osmoregulation, gill Na+,K+ -ATPase activity and isoform mRNA levels in Atlantic salmon
Stephen D McCormick
USGS, Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center, One Migratory Way, PO Box 796, Turners Falls, MA 01376, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 157:35-40. 2008
..The results provide support that cortisol, and not DOC or aldosterone, is involved in regulating the mineralocorticoid functions of ion uptake and salt secretion in teleost fish...
- Dual symbiosis in a Bathymodiolus sp. mussel from a methane seep on the Gabon continental margin (Southeast Atlantic): 16S rRNA phylogeny and distribution of the symbionts in gills
IFREMER Départment Environnement Profond, Centre de Brest, Plouzane, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1694-700. 2005
Deep-sea mussels of the genus Bathymodiolus (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) harbor symbiotic bacteria in their gills and are among the dominant invertebrate species at cold seeps and hydrothermal vents...
- Phosphorylated intermediate of the ouabain-insensitive, Na(+)-stimulated ATPase in rat kidney cortex and rainbow trout gills
Department of Biochemistry G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, BO, Italy
Biochimie 92:128-35. 2010
Several tissues from different animals, including the rat kidney and the freshwater rainbow trout gills, show an ouabain-insensitive, furosemide-sensitive, Na(+)-stimulated ATPase activity, which has been associated with the active ..
- The transcription factor, glial cell missing 2, is involved in differentiation and functional regulation of H+-ATPase-rich cells in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Wei Jen Chang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1192-201. 2009
..HR) cells in zebrafish are known to be involved in acid secretion and Na(+) uptake mechanisms in zebrafish gills/skin; however, little is known about how HR cells are functionally regulated...
- Characterization of 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola': an intracellular bacterium infecting salmonid fish
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Environ Microbiol 10:208-18. 2008
..We propose the name 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola' for this agent of epitheliocystis in freshwater salmonids...
- Na(+), Cl(-), Ca(2+) and Zn(2+) transport by fish gills: retrospective review and prospective synthesis
W S Marshall
Department of Biology, St Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5
J Exp Zool 293:264-83. 2002
The secondary active Cl(-) secretion in seawater (SW) teleost fish gills and elasmobranch rectal gland involves basolateral Na(+),K(+)-ATPase and NKCC, apical membrane CFTR anion channels, and a paracellular Na(+)-selective conductance...
- The relationships between heavy metal (Cd, Cr, Cu, Fe, Pb, Zn) levels and the size of six Mediterranean fish species
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Environ Pollut 121:129-36. 2003
..cuculus. Cr and Pb concentrations in the liver and Cu concentrations in all the tissues of Scomberesox saurus also showed very significant (P<0.001) negative relationships. Negative relationships found here were discussed...
- A membrane-bound hemoglobin from gills of the green shore crab Carcinus maenas
Institute of Zoology and Zoological Museum, University of Hamburg, D 20146 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:3185-93. 2011
..maenas hemoglobin does not reside in the hemolymph but is restricted to the gills. Immunofluorescence studies and cell fractioning showed that C...
- Expression of arginine kinase enzymatic activity and mRNA in gills of the euryhaline crabs Carcinus maenas and Callinectes sapidus
Department of Biology, Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA
J Exp Biol 203:2395-404. 2000
..The major invertebrate phosphagen kinase, arginine kinase, is expressed in the gills of two species of euryhaline crabs, the blue crab Callinectes sapidus and the shore crab Carcinus maenas, in which ..
- Rapid hyperosmotic coinduction of two tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) transcription factors in gill cells
Diego F Fiol
Physiological Genomics Group, Department of Animal Science, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:927-32. 2005
b>Gills of euryhaline teleosts are excellent models for studying osmotic-stress adaptation because they directly contact the aquatic environment and are an important effector tissue during osmotic stress...
- Molecular biology of major components of chloride cells
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 136:593-620. 2003
- Differential expression of gill Na+,K+-ATPase alpha- and beta-subunits, Na+,K+,2Cl- cotransporter and CFTR anion channel in juvenile anadromous and landlocked Atlantic salmon Salmo salar
Tom O Nilsen
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, High Technology Centre, Bergen N 5020, Norway
J Exp Biol 210:2885-96. 2007
..Furthermore, landlocked salmon have lost some of the unique preparatory upregulation of gill NKA, NKCC and, to some extent, CFTR anion channel associated with the development of hypo-osmoregulatory ability in anadromous salmon...
- Dynamic transcriptomic profiles of zebrafish gills in response to zinc supplementation
Mineral Metabolism Group, Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London SE1 9NH, UK
BMC Genomics 11:553. 2010
..This organ forms a conduit for zinc uptake whilst exhibiting conservation of zinc trafficking components...
- Salinity adaptation and gene profiling analysis in the European eel (Anguilla anguilla) using microarray technology
School of Biology, University of St Andrews, Fife, UK
Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:274-80. 2007
..Microarray results were validated using known genes implicated in osmoregulation, such as prolactin, growth hormone, Na, K-ATPase and some unknown genes, the role of which in osmoregulation needs to be elucidated...
- Expression of genes for sulfur oxidation in the intracellular chemoautotrophic symbiont of the deep-sea bivalve Calyptogena okutanii
Marine Biodiversity Research Program, Institute of Biogeosciences, Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology JAMSTEC, Yokosuka 237 0061, Japan
Extremophiles 13:895-903. 2009
- Morphological presentation of a dendritic-like cell within the gills of chinook salmon infected with Loma salmonae
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Ave, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada C1A 4P3
Dev Comp Immunol 30:259-63. 2006
- Gene expression and localization of the epinecidin-1 antimicrobial peptide in the grouper (Epinephelus coioides), and its role in protecting fish against pathogenic infection
Chia Yu Pan
Department of Environmental Biology and Fisheries Science, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
DNA Cell Biol 26:403-13. 2007
..peptide (rabbit polyclonal antibody) showed that the peptide was localized with the epinecidin-1 antibody in the gills and intestines...
- Branchial expression patterns of claudin isoforms in Atlantic salmon during seawater acclimation and smoltification
C K Tipsmark
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1563-74. 2008
..claudin 27a and 30. It is possible that claudin 10e is an important component of cation selective channels, whereas reduction in claudin 27a and 30 may change permeability conditions in favor of the ion secretory mode of the SW gill...