- The influence of dietary boron supplementation on egg quality and serum calcium, inorganic phosphorus, magnesium levels and alkaline phosphatase activity in laying hens
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, University of Erciyes, Sümer Mah Bariş Manço Cad 38090 Kayseri, Turkey
Res Vet Sci 76:203-10. 2004
..Boron changed the interior and exterior quality of eggs. In particular, high level of B supplementation reduced live weight, feed consumption and egg production and changed some blood metabolites...
- Effects of a dried Bacillus subtilis culture on egg quality
College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, PR China 214036 corrected
Poult Sci 85:364-8. 2006
..05). However, excessive doses of B. subtilis culture did not improve the performance of layers...
- Gene expression profiling to identify eggshell proteins involved in physical defense of the chicken egg
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, UR83 Recherches Avicoles, Nouzilly, France
BMC Genomics 11:57. 2010
..An extensive bioinformatic analysis on genes over-expressed in the uterus allowed us to identify novel eggshell proteins that contribute to the egg's natural defenses...
- Proteomic analysis of the chicken egg vitelline membrane
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abteilung Proteomics und Signaltransduktion, Martinsried, Germany
Proteomics 8:2322-32. 2008
..The list of VM proteins presented in this report is by far the most comprehensive dataset available at present and complements proteomic analyses of chicken egg compartments published previously...
- Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase gene expression in the avian eggshell gland: distinct regulation in different cell types
Institute of Animal Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 281:R1169-76. 2001
- Eggshell colour does not predict measures of maternal investment in eggs of Turdus thrushes
Centre for Ornithology, School of Biosciences, Birmingham University, Birmingham, UK
Naturwissenschaften 95:713-21. 2008
- Variability in avian eggshell colour: a comparative study of museum eggshells
Centre for Ornithology, School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e12054. 2010
..Here we use an extensive museum collection to address these problems directly, and to test how diversity in eggshell coloration is distributed among different phylogenetic levels of the class Aves...
- An EAV-HP insertion in 5' Flanking region of SLCO1B3 causes blue eggshell in the chicken
National Engineering Laboratory for Animal Breeding and Key Laboratory of Animal Genetics, Breeding, and Reproduction of the Ministry of Agriculture, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
PLoS Genet 9:e1003183. 2013
- Polymorphisms in eggshell organic matrix genes are associated with eggshell quality measurements in pedigree Rhode Island Red hens
I C Dunn
The Roslin Institute and R D SVS, University of Edinburgh, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9PS, UK
Anim Genet 40:110-4. 2009
..The marker effects are as large as 17% of trait standard deviations and could be used to improve eggshell quality...
- Mapping of quantitative trait loci affecting eggshell quality on chromosome 9 in an F(2) intercross between two chicken lines divergently selected for eggshell strength
Animal Breeding and Reproduction Research Team, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0901, Japan
Anim Genet 40:779-82. 2009
..Marker-assisted selection based on these QTL could be used to develop strategies for reducing the breakage and cracking of eggs in commercial layer houses...
- Expression of TRPV6 and CaBP-D28k in the egg shell gland (uterus) during the oviposition cycle of the laying hen
J h Yang
Institute for Agri food Standards and Testing Technology, Shanghai Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 1 Weigang, Nanjing, Shanghai, China
Br Poult Sci 54:398-406. 2013
..was to investigate the localisation of the transient receptor potential vanilloid channel type 6 (TRPV6) in egg shell gland (ESG) and examine the dynamic expression of TRPV6 and Calbindin-d28k (CaBP-D28k), as well as the changes ..
- Influence of egg shell embryonic incubation temperature and broiler breeder flock age on posthatch growth performance and carcass characteristics
Department of Poultry Science, 222 Henning Bldg, Penn State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Poult Sci 86:408-12. 2007
..No significant differences in mortality were observed. Posthatch performance appears to be affected by hatcher environment as determined by embryo shell temperature...
- A study on eggshell pigmentation: biliverdin in blue-shelled chickens
College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, P R China
Poult Sci 85:546-9. 2006
..01). Our results demonstrated that blood is not the biosynthesis site of the shell biliverdin. Biliverdin is most likely synthesized in the shell gland and then deposited onto the eggshell of chickens...
- Prevalence of antibodies to Mycoplasma synoviae in laying hens and possible effects on egg shell quality
V C Gole
School of Animal and Veterinary Science, University of Adelaide, Roseworthy, South Australia 5371, Australia
Prev Vet Med 106:75-8. 2012
..randomly collected, out of these 30 eggs were used for ELISA and remaining 30 eggs were used to estimate various egg shell quality parameters. Subsequently, association between the serological status of eggs for M...
- Effects of egg shell quality and washing on Salmonella Infantis penetration
Animal Science, School of Environmental and Rural Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia
Int J Food Microbiol 165:77-83. 2013
..are washed prior to packing to remove dirt and fecal material and to reduce the microbial contamination of the egg shell. The egg contents can be an ideal growth medium for microorganisms which can result in human illness if eggs are ..
- Determination of serum triglyceride by enzyme electrode using covalently immobilized enzyme on egg shell membrane
Biochemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, M D University, Rohtak 124001, India
Int J Biol Macromol 47:691-5. 2010
A mixture of commercial lipase, glycerol kinase and glycerol-3-phosphate oxidase was co-immobilized onto egg shell membrane through covalent coupling...
- Expression and activity analysis reveal that heme oxygenase (decycling) 1 is associated with blue egg formation
Z P Wang
National Engineering Laboratory for Animal Breeding and the Key Laboratory of Animal Genetics and Breeding of the Ministry of Agriculture, China Agricultural University, Beijing, 100193, China
Poult Sci 90:836-41. 2011
- Digital preparation of a probable neoceratopsian preserved within an egg, with comments on microstructural anatomy of ornithischian eggshells
Amy M Balanoff
Division of Paleontology, American Museum of Natural History, Central Park West at 79th Street, New York, NY 10024, USA
Naturwissenschaften 95:493-500. 2008
..The addition of an embryo also adds another important data point to the already impressive postnatal ontogenetic series that are available for this clade...
- Sodium and anion transport across the avian uterine (shell gland) epithelium
Alisen E Vetter
Cardiac Rhythm Management, Medtronic Corporation, 7000 Central Avenue NE, Minneapolis, MN 55432, USA
J Exp Biol 208:479-86. 2005
..Electrogenic Cl(-) and HCO(3)(-) transport were coupled under basal and cAMP stimulated conditions and basal anion transport decreased with age and during molting...
- Evaluation of eggshell quality of hens infected with Salmonella enteritidis by application of compression
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Egg Safety and Quality Research Unit, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
Poult Sci 85:129-35. 2006
..These results suggest that there may be supportive approaches to achieve reduction of S. enteritidis in table eggs that do not rely on culturing...
- Expression of positional candidates for shell thickness in the chicken
A A Sazanov
Institute of Farm Animal Genetics and Breeding, Russian Academy of Agricultural Science, Moskovskoye sh 55A, St Petersburg, Pushkin 196601, Russia
Poult Sci 86:202-5. 2007
..These data suggested that CR523443 was a candidate gene for QTL ST53 in the chicken...
- Mapping of quantitative trait loci affecting quality and production traits in egg layers
Animal Production Research, Animal Breeding, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Jokioinen
Poult Sci 81:919-27. 2002
..The most significant QTL explains 25.8% of the phenotypic variance in F2 of body weight. An area affecting the age at first egg, egg weight, and the number of eggs was located on chromosome Z...
- A novel route for synthesis of nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite from eggshell waste
D Siva Rama Krishna
Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1735-43. 2007
..The in vitro dissolution study shows longer stability in phosphate buffer and cell culture test using osteoblast cells establishes biocompatibility of OHA...
- Bone formation with various bone graft substitutes in critical-sized rat calvarial defect
Jin Woo Park
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
Clin Oral Implants Res 20:372-8. 2009
..We compared N-HA alone or in combination with calcium sulfate (CS), with a commercial bone substitute, anorganic bovine bone (Bio-Oss, BO)...
- Relationship between eggshell strength and keratan sulfate of eggshell membranes
Young Wan Ha
Natural Products Research Institute, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, 28 Yeonkun dong, Jongno Ku, Seoul 110 460, Republic of Korea
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:1109-15. 2007
..985, p<0.0005). These results suggest that eggshell strength is proportional to the KS content of eggshell membranes with an increase of eggshell weight...
- Enzymatic and microbiological inhibitory activity in eggshell membranes as influenced by layer strains and age and storage variables
Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Poult Sci 84:1935-41. 2005
..Based on these and other findings, ESM may have potential commercial value as a processing adjuvant in food and pharmaceutical product applications...
- Structure-property relationships of a biopolymer network: the eggshell membrane
Fernando G Torres
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Catholic University of Peru, Lima 32, Peru
Acta Biomater 6:3687-93. 2010
..This study helps elucidate the properties of the biopolymer networks found in nature and describes important mechanical properties for the use of the ESM as a biomaterial...
- Resorption kinetics of eggshell: an in vivo study
Laboratoire de Recherche Chirurgicale, Institut de Biologie, 4 Boulevard Henri IV, 34000 Montpellier, France
J Craniofac Surg 12:53-8. 2001
..In conclusion, eggshell is a resorbable implant, but the degradation kinetic is size dependent. Large ostrich grafts are also suitable as onlay graft, but a complementary osteosynthesis is recommended to enhance osteointegration...
- Improved physical and biochemical features of a collagen membrane by conjugating with soluble egg shell membrane protein
Department of Applied Biological Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:865-73. 2006
Soluble egg shell membrane protein (SEP) prepared from the egg shell membrane by performic acid oxidation and pepsin digestion was applied to prepare a membrane conjugated with pepsin-solubilized collagen (PSC) by cross-linking with ..
- [Hen's eggshell calcium]
R and D Division, Q P Corporation, Japan
Clin Calcium 15:95-100. 2005
..These results suggest that eggshell Ca could be beneficial for bone and we propose Ca fortified foods which contain eggshell Ca as a nutraceutical...
- Tracking the fate of iron in early development of human blood flukes
Malcolm K Jones
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, QLD 4029, Australia
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39:1646-58. 2007
..These observations emphasise the importance of Fe in schistosome metabolism and egg formation and suggest new avenues for disruption of egg formation in these pathogenic parasites...
- Secretion pattern, ultrastructural localization and function of extracellular matrix molecules involved in eggshell formation
M Soledad Fernandez
Faculty of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Universidad de Chile and Center for Advanced Interdisciplinary Research in Materials CIMA, Santiago, Chile
Matrix Biol 19:793-803. 2001
- Purification and immunochemistry of a soluble matrix protein of the chicken eggshell (ovocleidin 17)
M T Hincke
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Ottawa, Canada
Calcif Tissue Int 56:578-83. 1995
..Our results indicate that this protein is secreted during shell formation and becomes incorporated into this structure. It may therefore play a role in the crystallization process and influence the properties of the resulting eggshell...
- Ovotransferrin is a matrix protein of the hen eggshell membranes and basal calcified layer
Station de Recherches Avicoles, Centre de Tours, INRA, Nouzilly, France
Connect Tissue Res 42:255-67. 2001
- Disulfide-linked heterodimeric clusterin is a component of the chicken eggshell matrix and egg white
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried D 82152, Germany
Matrix Biol 22:397-407. 2003
- Proteomic analysis of the acid-soluble organic matrix of the chicken calcified eggshell layer
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abteilung für Proteomics und Signaltransduktion, Am Klopferspitz 18, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Proteomics 6:3801-10. 2006
- New hypotheses on the function of the avian shell gland derived from microarray analysis comparing tissue from juvenile and sexually mature hens
I C Dunn
Roslin Institute and Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland EH25 9PS, UK
Gen Comp Endocrinol 163:225-32. 2009
..These new hypotheses, if borne out experimentally, will lead to a greater understanding of shell gland function including the processes involved in eggshell formation and anti-microbial activity...
- Phosphoproteins of the chicken eggshell calcified layer
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Department of Proteomics and Signal Transduction, Martinsried, Germany
Proteomics 7:106-15. 2007
..Among the major phosphorylated proteins of the chicken eggshell matrix were osteopontin and the eggshell-specific proteins ovocleidin-17, ovocleidin-116, and ovocalyxin-32...
- Minor proteins and enzymes of the Drosophila eggshell matrix
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th St, CB2915, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Dev Biol 293:127-41. 2006
..This work provides a framework for future molecular studies of eggshell assembly...
- Egg shell collagen formation in Caenorhabditis elegans involves a novel prolyl 4-hydroxylase expressed in spermatheca and embryos and possessing many unique properties
Collagen Research Unit, Biocenter Oulu and Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Oulu, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 277:18238-43. 2002
..PHY-3 is thus likely to be involved in the synthesis of collagens in early embryos, probably of those in the egg shell.
- Identification and localization of lysozyme as a component of eggshell membranes and eggshell matrix
M T Hincke
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 451 Smyth Road, University of Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8M5, Ottawa, Canada
Matrix Biol 19:443-53. 2000
- Intraclutch variation in avian eggshell pigmentation: the anaemia hypothesis
Greet De Coster
Department of Biology, Terrestrial Ecology Unit, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Oecologia 170:297-304. 2012
..However, the overall increase in pigment darkness along the laying sequence suggests that pigments also accumulate by enhanced red blood cell production caused by anaemia due to egg production itself...
- Antimicrobial activity of the Anseriform outer eggshell and cuticle
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 149:640-9. 2008
..Protein extracts from the cavity nesting hooded merganser were especially potent. The unique environmental pressures exerted on cavity-nesting species may have led to the evolution of potent antimicrobial defenses...
- Protein constituents of the eggshell: eggshell-specific matrix proteins
Megan L H Rose
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H8M5, Canada
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:2707-19. 2009
..An emerging concept is the dual role (mineralization/antimicrobial protection) that certain eggshell matrix proteins can play...
- Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 8 gene association with egg traits in dwarf chickens
J F Yao
National Engineering Laboratory for Animal Breeding and Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
Poult Sci 89:883-6. 2010
..The present results indicated that LRP8, as a new member of eggshell matrix protein, may be a candidate gene associated with eggshell traits...
- Photodynamic antimicrobial activity of avian eggshell pigments
Shin ichi Ishikawa
Department of Animal Science, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University, Towada, Aomori, Japan
FEBS Lett 584:770-4. 2010
..Our results indicate the possibility that the natural pigments used therapeutically have evolved in nature as a defence system...
- Observations on Salmonella contamination of eggs from infected commercial laying flocks where vaccination for Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis had been used
Department of Food and Environmental Safety, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Surrey, UK
Avian Pathol 33:133-44. 2004
..6%) of vaccinated spent hens and 64/562 (11.4%) of bulked fresh faecal samples taken from laying houses. Failure to adequately clean and disinfect laying houses and to control mice appeared to be a common feature on the farms...
- Correlation of eggshell strength and Salmonella enteritidis contamination of commercial shell eggs
D R Jones
Egg Safety and Quality Research Unit, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Athens, Georgia, USA
J Food Prot 68:2035-8. 2005
..Further work with eggs that represent a greater range of shell strengths could provide a clearer indication of the interaction of shell strength and Salmonella Enteritidis contamination...
- Effect of vitamin D2- and D3-enriched diets on egg vitamin D content, production, and bird condition during an entire production period
MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Food Research, FIN 31600 Jokioinen, Finland
Poult Sci 83:433-40. 2004
..However, especially vitamin D3 improved bone strength (P < 0.05). Autopsy at the end of the experiment indicated no detrimental accumulation of calcium in the kidneys, liver, heart, muscles, or lungs...
- Extent of variation within a laying flock: attainment of sexual maturity, double-yolked and soft-shelled eggs, sequence lengths and consistency of lay
S A Johnston
University of KwaZulu Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Br Poult Sci 48:609-16. 2007
..Furthermore, sequence length did not always decline in a regular fashion with advancing age. 3. The information gathered here has been used to develop a mechanistic, stochastic population model for laying hens...
- Effects of supplementary iodine on the performance and egg traits of laying hens
Ankara University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Nutrition, Ankara, Turkey
Br Poult Sci 45:499-503. 2004
..8. As a result, the 3 and 6 mg/kg iodine supplementation of diet could be used to enrich the eggs with iodine without any adverse effect on performance and egg traits...
- Effects of supplementing broiler breeder diets with organic selenium and polyunsaturated fatty acids on egg quality during storage
A C Pappas
Avian Science Research Centre, Animal Health Group, Scottish Agricultural College, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Poult Sci 84:865-74. 2005
..Hatching egg quality during storage was affected by dietary PUFA and Se content, as well as broiler breeder age...
- Fertility and hatchability of eggs laid in the pullet-to-breeder transition period and in the initial production period
Adriana Ayres Pedroso
Department of Animal Science, Veterinary School, University of Goias, CP 131, 74001 970 Goiania, Goias, Brazil
Anim Reprod Sci 90:355-64. 2005
..Results indicated the larger the egg, the heavier the chick and shell, and the lesser the shell percentage. As breeder age advanced, characteristics related to egg fertility and hatchability improved...
- Effects of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on the productivity of laying hens and egg quality during refrigerated storage
X G Shang
Animal Science and Technology College, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Poult Sci 83:1688-95. 2004
..01) in the Na content of albumen with increasing CLA. This study suggests that the greater firmness of CLA-fed eggs might be related to the change of pH, water content, and ion concentrations during refrigerated storage...
- Effect of heat stress on production parameters and immune responses of commercial laying hens
M M Mashaly
Department of Poultry Production, Minofiya University, Egypt
Poult Sci 83:889-94. 2004
..These results indicate that heat stress not only adversely affects production performance but also inhibits immune function...
- New approach of testing the effect of heat stress on eggshell quality: mechanical and material properties of eggshell and membrane
Laboratory of Physiology and Immunology of Domestic Animals, Department of Animal Production, Katholic University Leuven, Heverlee, Belgium
Br Poult Sci 45:476-82. 2004
..The decreased eggshell thickness and changed properties of shell membrane may be responsible, at least partially, for the decreased shell quality of eggs from heat-stressed hens...
- Identification of Enterobacteriaceae from washed and unwashed commercial shell eggs
Michael T Musgrove
Russell Research Center, 950 College Station Road, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
J Food Prot 67:2613-6. 2004
..Very few washed egg samples were contaminated with any of these bacteria. These data provide useful information on the effectiveness of processing in removing microorganisms from commercial shell eggs...
- Variations in external and internal microbial populations in shell eggs during extended storage
D R Jones
Russell Research Center, Poultry Processing and Meat Quality Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
J Food Prot 67:2657-60. 2004
..Commercially washed eggs were significantly less contaminated than were unwashed eggs for the populations monitored...
- Estimate of illnesses from Salmonella enteritidis in eggs, United States, 2000
Carl M Schroeder
Food Safety and Inspection Service, Office of Public Health Science, U S Department of Agriculture, 333 Aerospace Center, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20250 3700, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:113-5. 2005
..Uncertainty about the estimate ranged from 81,535 (5th percentile) to 276,500 illnesses (95th percentile). Our model provides but 1 approach for estimating foodborne illness and quantifying estimate uncertainty...
- Microbial health risk posed by table eggs in Trinidad
School of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, St Augustine Campus, Trinidad and Tobago
Epidemiol Infect 133:1049-56. 2005
..All 184 samples tested were negative for Listeria spp. Salmonella was recovered from seven (3.8%) egg shell samples only compared with 14 (7.6%) egg content samples only positive for the pathogen. Fifty-two (28...
- Bacterial isolation rate from fertile eggs, hatching eggs, and neonatal broilers with yolk sac infection
Cecilia Rosario Cortés
Departamento de Produccion Animal, Aves, FMVZ, UNAM, Circuito Exterior Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico DF
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 46:12-6. 2004
..Bacterial contamination causing YSI in vertically integrated operations can occur at a latter stage. It can be considered that the main etiologic agent of YSI is E. coli, since YSI mortality was highly correlated with E. coli isolation...
- Identification of yeasts isolated from commercial shell eggs stored at refrigerated temperatures
M T Musgrove
Egg Safety and Quality Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Russell Research Center, 950 College Station Road, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
J Food Prot 71:1258-61. 2008
..However, both systems were able to correctly identify C. famata, the species most often isolated throughout egg storage...
- Salmonella contamination in non-UK produced shell eggs on retail sale in some regions of England
C L Little
Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, United Kingdom
Euro Surveill 11:E061123.4. 2006
- Eggshell penetration of various types of hens' eggs by Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis
Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research ILVO, Technology and Food Unit, Brusselsesteenweg 370, B 9090 Melle, Belgium
J Food Prot 70:623-8. 2007
..Eggshell penetration was observed more frequently in the absence of cuticle spots and for eggs having lower dynamic stiffness values. Shell contamination at the end of storage was highly correlated with SE penetration...
- A mechanistic, stochastic, population model of egg production
S A Johnston
Faculty of Science and Agriculture, Animal and Poultry Science, School of Agricultural Sciences and Agribusiness, University of KwaZulu Natal, Scottsville, South Africa
Br Poult Sci 48:224-32. 2007
..5. The model predicts egg production of a theoretical flock of laying hens for a full laying year, including random occurrences of double-yolked and soft-shelled eggs and internal ovulations...
- Penetration studies of propoxur and phoxim from eggshell into whole egg after experimental exposure and application in henhouses
Institute for Food Toxicology, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 55:6401-5. 2007
..These results suggest that eggshell contact with whole egg during egg cracking must be avoided to prevent pesticide carry-over...
- Effect of single or combined climatic and hygienic stress in four layer lines: 1. Performance
Adaptation Physiology Group, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences, Wageningen University, P O Box 338, 6700 AH Wageningen, The Netherlands
Poult Sci 87:1022-30. 2008
..The effect of heat, LPS, or a combined challenge on feed intake, BW, hen-day egg production, egg weight, and egg shell thickness were investigated...
- Pathogen prevalence and microbial levels associated with restricted shell eggs
D R Jones
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Egg Safety and Quality Research Unit, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
J Food Prot 70:2004-7. 2007
..Although current pasteurization guidelines are based on Salmonella lethality, the results of this study reiterate the need to revisit the guidelines to determine the effectiveness for other pathogenic species...
- Effects of 6/85-strain Mycoplasma gallisepticum inoculation alone at ten weeks of age or in conjunction with F-strain Mycoplasma gallisepticum inoculation overlays at twenty-two or forty-five weeks of age on the performance of commercial egg-laying hens
K A Viscione
Department of Poultry Science, Mississippi State University, and Poultry Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
Poult Sci 87:588-93. 2008
- Differentially expressed transcripts in shell glands from low and high egg production strains of chickens using cDNA microarrays
Kuo Tai Yang
Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University, 250 Kuo Kuang Road, Taichung, Taiwan
Anim Reprod Sci 101:113-24. 2007
- Microcracks in eggs
M M Bain
Division of Cell Sciences, Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, G61 1QH, UK
Poult Sci 85:2001-8. 2006
..Because the eggshell forms the first line of defense against potentially pathogenic microorganisms entering the egg contents, microcracks could potentially compromise egg safety...
- Effects of S6-strain Mycoplasma gallisepticum inoculation at ten, twenty-two, or forty-five weeks of age on the performance characteristics of commercial egg laying hens
E Y Basenko
Department of Poultry Science, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State University, 39762, USA
Poult Sci 84:1663-70. 2005
..Alterations in eggshell quality in response to S6MG may become evident only in older birds that are experiencing declines in production when housed under controlled conditions...
- Melengestrol acetate as an effective alternative to induce a decline in egg production and reversible regression of the reproductive tract in laying hens. II. Effects on postmolt egg quality
J M Koch
Division of Animal and Veterinary Science, Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences, West Virginia University Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Poult Sci 84:1757-62. 2005
..When used as an alterative method to induce a rest, MGA leads to an increase in the internal and external egg quality of hens compared with nonmolted hens...
- Recovery of Salmonella from commercial shell eggs by shell rinse and shell crush methodologies
M T Musgrove
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Richard B Russell Agricultural Research Center, 950 College Station Road, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
Poult Sci 84:1955-8. 2005
..3%). For some eggs, Salmonella was only recovered by one of the methods. Use of both approaches in the same experiment increased sampling sensitivity, although in most cases, crushing provided more sensitive Salmonella recovery...
- A study on the interaction of xylanase and phytase enzymes in wheat-based diets fed to commercial white and brown egg laying hens
F G Silversides
Agassiz Research Centre, British Columbia, Canada
Poult Sci 85:297-305. 2006
..These data suggest that poultry producers can use these enzymes individually or together in feed for the Brown and White egg layers used in this study without concern for the strain of hen...
- Effects of beak trimming and cage design on laying hen performance and egg quality
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Tours, Station de Recherches Avicoles, Nouzilly, France
Br Poult Sci 47:1-12. 2006
- Effects of commercial enzyme preparations on egg and eggshell quality in laying hens
J R Roberts
Animal Science, School of Rural Science and Agriculture, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia
Br Poult Sci 47:501-10. 2006
..8. Yolk colour was lower than control for enzyme 3 in all diets and for enzyme 4 with the barley- and wheat-based diets. 9. Further investigation is required to elucidate the specific enzyme components that influence egg quality...
- Comparison of eggshell hygiene in two housing systems: standard and furnished cages
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Tours, Station de Recherches Avicoles, Nouzilly, France
Br Poult Sci 47:30-5. 2006
- Effect of type and level of fish oil supplementation on yolk fat composition and n-3 fatty acids retention efficiency in laying hens
COREN, Sociedad Cooperativa Galega, Ourense, Spain
Br Poult Sci 47:43-9. 2006
..8. Regression equations were calculated in order to predict efficiency of retention and n-3 FA concentration of yolk fat in the range of diets studied...
- The impact of flucycloxuron on eggs weight kinetic and hematological parameters of chicken (Gallus domesticus)
Cellular Toxicology Laboratory, Badj Mokhtar University, Annaba, 23000, Algeria
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 72:143-50. 2007
..The obtained results confirm that the chosen biological model is good bio-indicator for eventual pollution and they are not far from pesticides toxicity...
- Effects of light intensity from photostimulation in four strains of commercial egg layers: 1. Ovarian morphology and carcass parameters
R A Renema
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Poult Sci 80:1112-20. 2001
..These data support the conclusion that with the development of highly specific genetic strains, it is increasingly important to match the environmental management practices to a particular hen's genotype...
- Effects of F-strain Mycoplasma gallisepticum inoculation at twelve weeks of age on performance and egg characteristics of commercial egg-laying hens
M R Burnham
Department of Poultry Science, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State 39762, USA
Poult Sci 81:1478-85. 2002
..However, because significant FMG effects on these parameters were observed in only one trial, additional studies may be necessary to verify these effects...
- Effects of an S6 strain of Mycoplasma gallisepticum challenge before beginning of lay on various egg characteristics in commercial layers
T A Parker
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State 39762, USA
Avian Dis 46:593-7. 2002
..This study shows that in the absence of environmental stressors a prelay S6 MG inoculation does not produce detrimental effects on layer hen performance...
- Re-evaluation of calcium and phosphorus requirements in aged laying hens
Institute of Animal Science, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan, Israel
Br Poult Sci 43:261-9. 2002
..5 g/kg (1.0 g/kg added inorganic P) appears to be sufficient for maintaining egg production and shell quality in aged laying hen given 36 to 40 g/kg Ca. 5. Increasing dietary Ca above 40 g/kg may require a higher dietary P content...
- Dietary interaction of 1,4-diaminobutane (putrescine) and calcium on eggshell quality and performance in laying hens
S R Chowdhury
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Poult Sci 81:84-91. 2002
..Eggshell quality improved when hens were fed 3.5% calcium diet in combination with 0.10% putrescine. It was concluded that small supplements of dietary putrescine may improve eggshell quality, depending on dietary calcium concentration...
- The effects of 6/85 live Mycoplasma gallisepticum vaccine in commercial layer hens over a 43-week laying cycle on egg production, selected egg quality parameters, and egg size distribution when challenged before beginning of lay
S L Branton
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, South Central Poultry Research Laboratory, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
Avian Dis 46:423-8. 2002
- Microbial contamination in inoculated shell eggs: I. Effects of layer strain and hen age
D R Jones
Department of Poultry Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695, USA
Poult Sci 81:715-20. 2002
- Egg quality in furnished cages for laying hens--effects of crack reduction measures and hybrid
Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
Poult Sci 81:340-8. 2002
..Reduction of the bottom lining to 30% makes nests less attractive to birds laying eggs...
- Fatty acid composition and egg components of specialty eggs
Department of Animal Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331 6702, USA
Poult Sci 81:30-3. 2002
..The ratio of total n-6:n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids ranged from 39.2 for SP5 to 11.5 for SP1 (P < 0.05). No difference was observed in the total polyunsaturated fatty acid content of eggs (P > 0.05)...
- Effects of dietary 1,4-diaminobutane (putrescine) on eggshell quality and laying performance of hens laying thin-shelled eggs
S R Chowdhury
Department of Animal Science and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Poult Sci 80:1702-9. 2001
..This increase in polyamines might have caused improved eggshell quality by increasing calcium transport. It was concluded that 0.05% supplemental putrescine improved eggshell quality; however, higher levels proved to be toxic...
- Long-term effects of feeding flaxseed-based diets. 1. Egg production parameters, components, and eggshell quality in two strains of laying hens
Department of Animal Science, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68583-0908, USA
Poult Sci 80:1480-9. 2001
..6%). Addition of flaxseed to the diet of laying hens did not have any adverse effects on egg production parameters, but flaxseed supplementation can significantly alter weight of yolk solids and yolk and albumen percentages...
- Effect of cholecalciferol-enriched hen feed on egg quality
Food Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, FIN 31600 Jokioinen, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 51:283-7. 2003
..Moreover, the cholecalciferol levels used in this study appeared not to affect eggshell strength or to be harmful for hens...
- Production performance, serum/yolk cholesterol and immune competence of white leghorn layers as influenced by dietary supplementation with probiotic
A K Panda
Project Directorate on Poultry, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 30, AP, India
Trop Anim Health Prod 35:85-94. 2003
..The antibody titre was significantly higher in the groups supplemented with probiotic at 64 weeks of age. The addition of 100 mg/kg of probiotic in the diet significantly increased the CBH response at 64 weeks of age...
- Effect of hens fed dietary flaxseed with and without a fatty liver supplement on hepatic, plasma and production characteristics relevant to fatty liver haemorrhagic syndrome in laying hens
B E Schumann
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Br Poult Sci 44:234-44. 2003
..This suggests that reducing the liver lipid content or feeding fatty liver supplements may not be as effective in controlling FLHS as controlling the size of the liver...
- An assessment of the microbiological risks involved with egg washing under commercial conditions
M L Hutchison
Direct Laboratories Ltd, Microbiological Research Division, Woodthorne, Wergs Road, Wolverhampton WV6 8TQ, UK
J Food Prot 67:4-11. 2004
..Other washing machine parameters that were investigated did not significantly affect Salmonella entry into the egg contents but influenced shell surface kill levels to varying degrees...
- Microbial contamination in inoculated shell eggs: II. Effects of layer strain and egg storage
D R Jones
Department of Poultry Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Poult Sci 83:95-100. 2004
..Eggs from control strain 5 and the current commercial stock were more easily contaminated than the other strains. These data suggest that genetic selection has altered microbiological defenses of the eggs produced...
- Effects of the tricothecene mycotoxin diacetoxyscirpenol on egg production of broiler breeders
Department of Poultry Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Campus Box 7608, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7608, USA
Poult Sci 81:1807-10. 2002
..Short-term consumption of DAS at levels that might naturally occur appears to have little effect on broiler breeder egg production...
- Intestinal function and reproductive capacity of Tegel pullets in response to exogenous oestrogen
A A Saki
Department of Animal Science, Bou Ali Sina University, Hamadan, Iran
Arch Tierernahr 56:237-44. 2002
..Oestrogen treatment, however, intensely enhanced the expression of calbindin D22K, although this was not quantified...
- Long-term effects of feeding flaxseed on performance and egg fatty acid composition of brown and white hens
L D Bean
Department of Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1 Canada
Poult Sci 82:388-94. 2003
..Both strains of birds fed flaxseed deposited significantly more n-3 fatty acids into their eggs. Sampling of livers at the end of the trial showed that hens fed flaxseed had a higher (P < 0.05) incidence of liver hemorrhages...
- Genetic variation for egg production, egg quality and bone strength in selected and traditional breeds of laying fowl
P M Hocking
Roslin Institute, Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland
Br Poult Sci 44:365-73. 2003
..The results suggest that eggshell quality is maintained in genetically selected lines at the expense of bone strength and bone radiographic density...
- Supplementation of a corn-soybean meal diet with manganese, copper, and zinc from organic or inorganic sources improves eggshell quality in aged laying hens
Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Pirassununga, São Paulo 13630 000, Brazil
Poult Sci 82:1903-13. 2003
..The effect was observed regardless of the source of trace elements...