Genomes and Genes
Summary: Human females who are pregnant, as cultural, psychological, or sociological entities.
Publications341 found, 100 shown here
- Loss to follow-up and mortality among pregnant women referred to a community clinic for antiretroviral treatmentRichard Kaplan
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute for Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS 22:1679-81. 2008..Although there was no significant difference in adjusted mortality rates between the two groups, the pregnant women had a substantially higher risk of loss to follow-up both pretreatment and on-treatment...
- A systematic review of African studies on intimate partner violence against pregnant women: prevalence and risk factorsSimukai Shamu
School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 6:e17591. 2011..However, information obtained from the increasing number of African studies on IPV among pregnant women has not been scientifically analyzed...
- Urinary phthalate metabolite concentrations among pregnant women in Northern Puerto Rico: distribution, temporal variability, and predictorsDavid E Cantonwine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, United States Electronic address
Environ Int 62:1-11. 2014..action for elimination of exposure sources may be warranted, especially for sensitive populations such as pregnant women. However, information on exposure to phthalates from a variety of sources in Puerto Rico is lacking...
- Diagnostic role of microRNA expression profile in the serum of pregnant women with fetuses with neural tube defectsHui Gu
Key Laboratory of Health Ministry for Congenital Malformation, Shengjing Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
J Neurochem 122:641-9. 2012..However, the expression of miRNAs in the serum of pregnant women with fetuses with neural tube defects (NTDs) has not been characterized...
- Intimate partner violence among pregnant women in RwandaJoseph Ntaganira
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, National University of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda
BMC Womens Health 8:17. 2008..The prevalence and determinants of intimate partner violence (IPV) against pregnant women has not been described in Rwanda...
- Clinical malaria in African pregnant womenAzucena Bardaji
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomedicas August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Malar J 7:27. 2008There is a widespread notion, based on limited information, that in areas of stable malaria transmission most pregnant women with Plasmodium falciparum infection are asymptomatic...
- Give It Up For Baby: outcomes and factors influencing uptake of a pilot smoking cessation incentive scheme for pregnant womenAndrew Radley
Public Health Department, NHS Tayside, Kings Cross Hospital, Clepington Road, Dundee, UK
BMC Public Health 13:343. 2013..This study evaluated the smoking cessation outcomes and factors associated with success for pregnant smokers who registered with a pilot incentivised smoking cessation scheme in a Scottish health board area (NHS Tayside)...
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women: a national cross-sectional surveyStefanie Vandevijvere
Department of Public Health and Surveillance, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e43868. 2012..There are no representative country data available on vitamin D status of pregnant women in Europe...
- Midwives' awareness and experiences regarding domestic violence among pregnant women in southern SwedenHafrún Finnbogadóttir
Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health and Society, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Midwifery 28:181-9. 2012to explore midwives' awareness of and clinical experience regarding domestic violence among pregnant women in southern Sweden.
- Determinants of pregnant women's compliance with alcohol guidelines: a prospective cohort studyAmy E Anderson
Priority Research Centre for Gender, Health and Ageing, University of Newcastle, University Drive, Callaghan, NSW, 2308, Australia
BMC Public Health 12:777. 2012..of pregnant Australian women drank during pregnancy; however, there has been limited investigation of whether pregnant women comply with 2009 alcohol guidelines...
- Cost-effectiveness of universal and risk-based screening for autoimmune thyroid disease in pregnant womenChrysoula Dosiou
Division of Endocrinology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, S025, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:1536-46. 2012..Hypothyroidism in pregnancy can lead to adverse maternal and fetal outcomes. Although screening of high-risk women is advocated, universal screening remains controversial...
- Uptake of influenza vaccine by pregnant women: a cross-sectional surveyKerrie E Wiley
National Centre for Immunization Research and Surveillance, The Children s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Med J Aust 198:373-5. 2013To determine influenza vaccination coverage among pregnant women in New South Wales, and factors associated with vaccine uptake during pregnancy.
- Anti-Toxoplasma antibody prevalence, primary infection rate, and risk factors in a study of toxoplasmosis in 4,466 pregnant women in JapanMakiko Sakikawa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mitsui Memorial Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:365-7. 2012..It is usually asymptomatic, but infection in pregnant women can pose serious health problems for the fetus...
- "What my doctor didn't tell me": examining health care provider advice to overweight and obese pregnant women on gestational weight gain and physical activityMichael R Stengel
Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Womens Health Issues 22:e535-40. 2012..How health care providers counsel overweight and obese pregnant women on appropriate GWG and physical activity remains largely unexplored.
- Interest of pregnant women in the use of SMS (short message service) text messages for the improvement of perinatal and postnatal careGabriela Cormick
Department of Mother and Child Health Research, Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy, Dr Emilio Ravignani 2024, Buenos Aires, C1414CPV, Argentina
Reprod Health 9:9. 2012..The objective of this study is to 1) understand pregnant women's access and usage of cell phones and 2) survey the health information needs and interests in a population ..
- Prevalence and correlates of objectively measured physical activity and sedentary behavior among US pregnant womenKelly R Evenson
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Prev Med 53:39-43. 2011Physical activity is recommended for pregnant women without medical or obstetric complications...
- Factors associated with declining HIV testing and failure to return for results among pregnant women in VietnamThu Ha Dinh
School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS 19:1234-6. 2005..Factors associated with declining included opinions about providing testing or that only high-risk pregnant women need testing, intention to decline testing, being a housewife, perception of poor healthcare support, and ..
- Birth preparedness and complication readiness among pregnant women in Southern EthiopiaMesay Hailu
Sidam Zone Health Office, Hwassa, Ethiopia
PLoS ONE 6:e21432. 2011....
- Socio-demographic factors associated with smoking and smoking cessation among 426,344 pregnant women in New South Wales, AustraliaMohammed Mohsin
Centre for Research, Evidence Management and Surveillance, Division of Population Health, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Liverpool BC, NSW 1871, Australia
BMC Public Health 5:138. 2005This study explores the socio-demographic characteristics of pregnant women who continue to smoke during the pregnancy, and identifies the characteristics of the smokers who were likely to quit smoking during the pregnancy period.
- Intimate partner violence and the childbearing year: maternal and infant health consequencesPhyllis W Sharps
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, USA
Trauma Violence Abuse 8:105-16. 2007..b>Pregnant women are not immune to IPV, and as many as 4% to 8% of all pregnant women are victims of partner violence...
- Survey of HBsAg-positive pregnant women and their infants regarding measures to prevent maternal-infantile transmissionYan Guo
The Department of Maternal and Child Health, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 430030, China
BMC Infect Dis 10:26. 2010..This is a retrospective study of 158 HBsAg-positive pregnant women who delivered children from Jan 1st, 2004 to Dec.31th, 2006 in Wuhan City, China...
- Demographic and psychosocial profile of smoking among pregnant women in Lebanon: public health implicationsMonique Chaaya
Faculty of Health Sciences, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Matern Child Health J 7:179-86. 2003..To assess the prevalence and determinants of smoking prior to and during pregnancy in Lebanon...
- Prevalence of smoking and associated factors among pregnant women in JapanYoshitaka Kaneita
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Nihon University, 30 1, Ohyaguchikami machi, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
Prev Med 45:15-20. 2007This study was conducted to estimate the prevalence of smoking among pregnant women living in Japan and to analyze the factors associated with their smoking behavior.
- Prevalence and correlates of intimate partner violence against HIV-seropositive pregnant women in a Nigerian populationMichael C Ezeanochie
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:535-9. 2011..To evaluate the prevalence and correlates of intimate partner violence among HIV-positive pregnant Nigerian women...
- Childbirth fear, anxiety, fatigue, and sleep deprivation in pregnant womenWendy A Hall
University of British Columbia School of Nursing, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 38:567-76. 2009..To explore women's levels of childbirth fear, sleep deprivation, anxiety, and fatigue and their relationships during the third trimester of pregnancy...
- "Telling my husband I have HIV is too heavy to come out of my mouth": pregnant women's disclosure experiences and support needs following antenatal HIV testing in eastern UgandaJoseph Rujumba
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P O Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
J Int AIDS Soc 15:17429. 2012..We explored pregnant HIV-positive and HIV-negative women's partner disclosure experiences and support needs in eastern Uganda...
- A qualitative investigation of alcohol use advice during pregnancy: experiences of Dutch midwives, pregnant women and their partnersNickie Y van der Wulp
Dutch Institute for Alcohol Policy STAP, P O Box 9769, 3506 GT Utrecht, The Netherlands Maastricht University CAPHRI Department of Health Promotion, Maastricht, The Netherlands Electronic address
Midwifery 29:e89-98. 2013two studies aimed to explore the advice Dutch midwives give and the information Dutch pregnant women and partners of pregnant women receive about alcohol consumption in pregnancy.
- Comparison of point-of-care versus laboratory-based CD4 cell enumeration in HIV-positive pregnant womenLandon Myer
School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 16:18649. 2013Early initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) in eligible pregnant women is a key intervention for prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV...
- The effects of smoking cessation counseling by midwives on Dutch pregnant women and their partnersHein de Vries
Department of Health Education, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 63:177-87. 2006..Smoking during pregnancy is an important problem in the Netherlands. We tested the effectiveness of a health counseling method by midwives using a RCT...
- Pregnant and recently pregnant women's perceptions about influenza a pandemic (H1N1) 2009: implications for public health and provider communicationMolly M Lynch
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Post Office Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Matern Child Health J 16:1657-64. 2012The objective of this study was to explore pregnant and recently pregnant women's perceptions of influenza vaccine and antivirals during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic...
- A treatment for substance abusing pregnant womenKimberly Ann Yonkers
Perinatal Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 142 Temple Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 12:221-7. 2009We describe the adaptation of a manualized behavioral treatment for substance using pregnant women that includes components of motivational interviewing and cognitive therapy...
- Interventions for preventing or reducing domestic violence against pregnant womenShayesteh Jahanfar
Department of PublicHealth, School of Population and PublicHealth, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2013..It is, however, not clear which interventions best serve mothers during pregnancy and postpartum to ensure their safety...
- Physical abuse around the time of pregnancy: an examination of prevalence and risk factors in 16 statesLinda E Saltzman
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Violence Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Matern Child Health J 7:31-43. 2003....
- Preliminary evaluation of the safety and efficacy of standard intravenous immunoglobulins in pregnant women with primary cytomegalovirus infectionEnnio Polilli
Microbiology and Virology Unit, General Hospital of Pescara, Pescara, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:1991-3. 2012..of standard human intravenous immunoglobulin significantly increase CMV IgG titers and avidity indexes in pregnant women, paving the way to their use for passive transfer of maternal CMV humoral immunity to fetuses...
- Violence against pregnant women: prevalence and associated factorsCelene Aparecida Ferrari Audi
Departamento de Medicina Preventiva e Social, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 42:877-85. 2008To identify the factors associated with domestic violence against pregnant women.
- Recruitment of healthy first-trimester pregnant women: lessons from the Chemicals, Health & Pregnancy study (CHirP)Glenys M Webster
School of Environmental Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Matern Child Health J 16:430-8. 2012To describe and evaluate recruitment techniques used to enroll 152 healthy pregnant women fewer than 15 weeks gestation into a prospective study of environmental chemical exposure during pregnancy...
- Pregnant women's experiences of routine counselling and testing for HIV in Eastern Uganda: a qualitative studyJoseph Rujumba
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, PO Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Health Serv Res 13:189. 2013..counselling and testing as part of antenatal care has been institutionalized in Uganda as an entry point for pregnant women into the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) programme...
- Prevalence of rubella and cytomegalovirus antibodies among pregnant women in northern TurkeyYavuz Uyar
Microbiology Laboratory, Samsun Maternity and Women s Disease and Pediatrics Hospital, Samsun, Turkey
New Microbiol 31:451-5. 2008..Rubella and CMV screening of pregnant women is not routinely carried out in Turkey...
- Health-service utilization by pregnant women in the greater Mafikeng-Mmabatho districtC F Pretorius
Curationis 27:72-81. 2004..These services are however inaccessible to many pregnant women in the rural areas, leading to sub-optimal antenatal health service utilization...
- Midwives and pregnant women talk about alcohol: what advice do we give and what do they receive?Sandra C Jones
Centre for Health Initiatives, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Midwifery 27:489-96. 2011....
- Why do some pregnant women prefer cesarean? The influence of parity, delivery experiences, and fearDorthe Fuglenes
Department of Health Management and Health Economics, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:45.e1-9. 2011We sought to identify predictors of preferences for cesarean among pregnant women, and estimate how different predictors influence preferences.
- Promoting positive motherhood among nulliparous pregnant women with an intense fear of childbirth: RCT interventionKatariina Salmela-Aro
University of Helsinki, Finland
J Health Psychol 17:520-34. 2012This RCT intervention among nulliparous pregnant women with an intense fear of childbirth sought to promote preparedness for childbirth and to enhance positive parenting...
- Allostatic load may not be associated with chronic stress in pregnant women, NHANES 1999-2006Stephanie Morrison
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
Ann Epidemiol 23:294-7. 2013b>Pregnant women are generally excluded from studies that measure allostatic load (AL) because there is concern that the changing levels of AL-related biomarkers during pregnancy do not reflect a woman's true AL...
- Knowledge, attitude, perception of malaria and evaluation of malaria parasitaemia among pregnant women attending antenatal care clinic in metropolitan Lagos, NigeriaN C Iriemenam
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
J Vector Borne Dis 48:12-7. 2011Little information exists on the compliance of pregnant women to malaria management in malaria endemic countries...
- Coverage of intermittent prevention treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine among pregnant women and congenital malaria in Côte d'IvoireHenriette A Vanga-Bosson
Programme PAC CI, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Malar J 10:105. 2011..Data on IPT-SP coverage and factors associated with placental malaria parasitaemia and low birth weight (LBW) are scarce in Côte d'Ivoire...
- Feasibility and efficacy of a physical activity intervention among pregnant women: the behaviors affecting baby and you (B.A.B.Y.) studyLisa Chasan-Taber
Dept of Public Health, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, USA
J Phys Act Health 8:S228-38. 2011..However, the majority of pregnant women are inactive and interventions designed to increase exercise during pregnancy are sparse...
- Antibodies to pneumococcal proteins PhtD, CbpA, and LytC in Filipino pregnant women and their infants in relation to pneumococcal carriageEmma Holmlund
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Department of Vaccination and Immune Protection, PL 30, 00271 Helsinki, Finland
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:916-23. 2009..C-terminal fragment (PhtD C), CbpA, and LytC were measured by enzyme immunoassay in 52 serum samples from pregnant women, 39 cord blood samples, and consecutive serum samples (n = 263) from 52 newborns between 6 weeks and 10 months ..
- Non-adjuvanted 2009 influenza A (H1N1)v vaccine in pregnant women: the results of a French prospective descriptive studyE Omon
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie Medicale et Clinique, Faculte de Medecine, INSERM U1027, Universite de Toulouse, 37 Allees Jules Guesde, 31 000 Toulouse, France
Vaccine 29:9649-54. 2011..during the influenza A (H1N1)v pandemic, the French Health authorities recommended influenza immunisation for pregnant women because of the higher risk of serious influenza outcomes in that population...
- MOSAIC (MOthers' Advocates In the Community): protocol and sample description of a cluster randomised trial of mentor mother support to reduce intimate partner violence among pregnant or recent mothersAngela J Taft
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
BMC Public Health 9:159. 2009..This paper describes the development, design and implementation of a trial of mentor mother support set in primary care, including baseline characteristics of participating women...
- A pilot intervention for pregnant women in Sichuan, China on passive smokingAnita H Lee
Center for International Tobacco Control, Public Health Institute, 2140 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 506, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Patient Educ Couns 71:396-401. 2008..By exploring the knowledge, attitudes and behaviors of pregnant women with regard to secondhand smoke in the home environment, a model for intervention during the pregnancy was ..
- Urinary concentrations of phthalates and phenols in a population of Spanish pregnant women and childrenLidia Casas
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Int 37:858-66. 2011Phthalate and phenol exposure is prevalent among the general population and of potential concern for pregnant women and children because of their suspected susceptibility to endocrine effects.
- Factors associated with perceived stress and stressful life events in pregnant women: findings from the Canadian Maternity Experiences SurveyDawn Kingston
Faculty of Nursing, University of Manitoba, Helen Glass Centre for Nursing, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Matern Child Health J 16:158-68. 2012..Different factors contributed to perceived stress and life event stress, suggesting that these concepts measure different aspects of stress. These findings can inform routine psychosocial risk assessment in pregnancy...
- Accumulation of CVIET Pfcrt allele of Plasmodium falciparum in placenta of pregnant women living in an urban area of Dakar, SenegalMakhtar Niang
Unite d immunologie, Institut Pasteur de Dakar, Senegal
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:921-8. 2008..The objective of this study was to analyse the selection of drug-resistant parasites in the placenta in an area where chloroquine was still recommended as prophylaxis...
- Morbidity and mortality among a cohort of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected and uninfected pregnant women and their infants from Malawi, Zambia, and TanzaniaDavid Chilongozi
University of North Carolina Project, Lilongwe, Malawi
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:808-14. 2008Morbidity and mortality patterns among pregnant women and their infants (before antiretroviral therapy was widely available) determines HIV-1 diagnostic, monitoring, and care interventions.
- Gene expression analysis in pregnant women and their infants identifies unique fetal biomarkers that circulate in maternal bloodJill L Maron
Department of Pediatrics, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3007-19. 2007..potential fetal biomarkers, we studied whole blood and plasma gene transcripts that were common to 9 term pregnant women and their newborns but absent or reduced in the mothers postpartum...
- Initiation of antiretroviral therapy among pregnant women in resource-limited countries: CD4+ cell count response and program retentionPatricia L Toro
International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, 722 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
AIDS 24:515-24. 2010..Few data are available from resource-limited countries on long-term outcomes of HIV-infected women who initiate antiretroviral therapy (ART) during pregnancy...
- Uptake of influenza vaccine in pregnant women during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemicIlona Goldfarb
Massachusetts General Hospital Vincent Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 204:S112-5. 2011..Education for providers and patients emphasizing the benefits of early treatment of pregnant women with flu-like symptoms should be a priority.
- Factors associated with intimate partner violence among pregnant rural women in RwandaJoseph Ntaganira
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, National University of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda
Rural Remote Health 9:1153. 2009..The Rwandan 2005 Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) reported a national prevalence of IPV among pregnant women of 10.2% but there were limited data available on the factors involved...
- Pregnant women's attitudes towards alcohol consumptionNeil Raymond
Division of Psychiatry, School of Community Health Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
BMC Public Health 9:175. 2009There is uncertainty as to whether there is a safe threshold for drinking alcohol during pregnancy. We explored pregnant women's attitudes towards drinking alcohol in pregnancy and their attitudes towards sources of information about ..
- Novel pandemic A (H1N1) influenza vaccination among pregnant women: motivators and barriersGillian K Steelfisher
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 204:S116-23. 2011We sought to examine motivators and barriers related to monovalent 2009 influenza A (H1N1) vaccination among pregnant women. We conducted a national poll of pregnant women using a random online sample (237) and opt-in supplement (277)...
- Comparative evaluation of Strepto B ID chromogenic medium and Granada media for the detection of Group B streptococcus from vaginal samples of pregnant womenAsmaa Tazi
Service de Bacteriologie, Groupe Hospitalier Cochin Saint Vincent De Paul, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Centre National de Référence des Streptocoques, Paris, France
J Microbiol Methods 73:263-5. 2008..tested and compared to blood agar plates (BAP) for screening of Group B streptococcus vaginal colonization in pregnant women. All tested media were comparable in terms of sensitivity however, their use in routine laboratories may ..
- Assessment of utilization of provider-initiated HIV testing and counseling as an intervention for prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV and associated factors among pregnant women in Gondar town, North West EthiopiaMarelign Tilahun Malaju
Department of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Arba Minch University, PO Box 21, Arba Minch, Ethiopia
BMC Public Health 12:226. 2012..However, little is known about its acceptance and associated factors among pregnant women in the country and particularly in the present study area.
- Effects of integrated yoga on quality of life and interpersonal relationship of pregnant womenAbbas Rakhshani
SVYASA University, Bangalore, India
Qual Life Res 19:1447-55. 2010The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of integrated yoga on the quality of life and interpersonal relationships in normal pregnant women.
- Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection amongst pregnant women in Assam, IndiaB J Borkakoty
Indian J Med Microbiol 25:431-2. 2007
- [Maternal and fetal morbidity in obese pregnant women]Gustavo Romero Gutierrez
División de Investigacíon en Salud, Unidad Medica de Alta Especialidad, Hospital de Ginecopediatría numero 48, Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
Ginecol Obstet Mex 74:483-7. 2006To determine the maternal and fetal morbidity in obese pregnant women compared with non-obese pregnant women.
- [Prevalence and severity of domestic violence among pregnant women, Mexico]Roberto Castro
Centro Regional de Investigaciones Multidisciplinarias, Universidad Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Mor, Mexico
Rev Saude Publica 38:62-70. 2004..To determine whether pregnancy is a risk factor for domestic violence and to compare prevalence and severity of violence reported by women before and during pregnancy...
- Factors associated with smoking cessation among U.S. pregnant womenStella M Yu
Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
Matern Child Health J 6:89-97. 2002This study examines smoking and smoking cessation behaviors among U.S. pregnant women and seeks to identify the sociodemographic correlates of smoking cessation in pregnancy.
- Facilitating HIV status disclosure for pregnant women and partners in rural Kenya: a qualitative studyMelonie M Walcott
Department of Health Care Organization and Policy, University of Alabama at Birmingham, RPHB 330, 1530 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
BMC Public Health 13:1115. 2013..To lay the groundwork for developing an intervention, we conducted formative qualitative research to elicit feedback on three approaches for safe HIV disclosure for pregnant women and male partners in rural Kenya.
- Pregnant women's intention to take up a post-partum pertussis vaccine, and their willingness to take up the vaccine while pregnant: a cross sectional surveyK E Wiley
The National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance NCIRS, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Cnr Hawkesbury Rd and Hainsworth St, Westmead 2145, Australia
Vaccine 31:3972-8. 2013..Internationally, vaccination recommendations now include pregnant women in some countries...
- Evaluation of Trans-Vag broth, colistin-nalidixic agar, and CHROMagar StrepB for detection of group B Streptococcus in vaginal and rectal swabs from pregnant women in South AfricaGaurav Kwatra
Department of Science and Technology National Research Foundation Vaccine Preventable Diseases, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 51:2515-9. 2013..and Trans-Vag selective broth enrichment for the isolation of GBS from 130 vaginal and 130 rectal swabs from pregnant women. The swabs were randomized for plating first on either CA or CNA, and they then were inoculated in Trans-Vag ..
- Contributions of immigration to depressive symptoms among pregnant women in CanadaMalgorzata Miszkurka
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, I Université de Montréal, Montreal, QC
Can J Public Health 101:358-64. 2010..We compared mental health of immigrant and Canadian native-born women during pregnancy according to length of stay and region of origin, and we assessed the role of economics and social support in antenatal depressive symptomatology...
- Information-seeking and its predictors in low-income pregnant womenCarol Shieh
Indiana University School of Nursing, Department of Environments for Health, 1111 Middle Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 54:364-72. 2009This study examined information-seeking and its predictors (information needs and barriers) in low-income pregnant women. Eighty-four pregnant women from a prenatal clinic were interviewed using three scales that measured the frequency of ..
- Best practice in smoking cessation services for pregnant women: results of a survey of three services reporting the highest national returns, and three beacon servicesMichelle Lee
Tobacco Dependence Research and Treatment Centre, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Turner Street, London E1 2AD
J R Soc Promot Health 126:233-8. 2006..An early survey revealed some uncertainty as to how the new services should work and monitor their outcome. The current survey focused on identifying examples of good practice in this difficult new field...
- Utilization of folic acid and iron supplementation services by pregnant women attending an antenatal clinic at a regional referral hospital in KenyaL Maina-Gathigi
Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program FELTP, Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation, Nairobi, Kenya
Matern Child Health J 17:1236-42. 2013To determine utilization of iron and folic acid supplementation services among pregnant women in Kenya. A cross sectional study was conducted at Nyeri Hospital, a regional referral hospital in central Kenya...
- A two-way text-messaging system answering health questions for low-income pregnant womenHayeon Song
Department of Communication, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee 53201, USA
Patient Educ Couns 92:182-7. 2013..The purpose of the study was to gauge the effectiveness of a low-cost, automated, two-way text-messaging system to distribute pregnancy and health-related information to low-income expectant women...
- Nutrition-related information-seeking behaviours of women trying to conceive and pregnant women: evidence for the life course perspectiveEllen M Szwajcer
Telematica Instituut, Interacting People, 7523 XC Enschede, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 25:i99-104. 2008....
- Dietary patterns in pregnant women: a comparison of food-frequency questionnaires and 4 d prospective diariesSarah R Crozier
MRC Epidemiology Resource Centre, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Br J Nutr 99:869-75. 2008..The first two dietary patterns identified in this cohort of pregnant women appear to be defined similarly by both FFQ and diary data, suggesting that FFQ data provide useful information ..
- Hurricane Katrina experience and the risk of post-traumatic stress disorder and depression among pregnant womenXu Xiong
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Disaster Med 5:181-7. 2010..is known about the effects of disaster exposure and intensity on the development of mental disorders among pregnant women. The aim of this study was to examine the effect of exposure to Hurricane Katrina on mental health in pregnant ..
- Health seeking behavior among pregnant women in rural HaitiKari White
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Health Care Women Int 27:822-38. 2006The purpose of this study was to further knowledge of health care seeking behavior among pregnant women in rural Haiti...
- Routine antenatal HIV testing: the responses and perceptions of pregnant women and the viability of informed consent. A qualitative studyPaquita de Zulueta
Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London W11 2NS, UK
J Med Ethics 33:329-36. 2007..cross-sectional survey, undertaken in the antenatal booking clinics of a hospital in central London, explores pregnant women's responses to routine HIV testing, examines their reasons for declining or accepting the test, and assesses ..
- Promoting alcohol abstinence among pregnant women: potential social change strategiesSameer Deshpande
Faculty of Management, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Canada
Health Mark Q 23:45-67. 2005..Generally, it appears that pregnant women differ by their alcohol consumption habits and their reasons to drink...
- A reexamination of smoking before, during, and after pregnancyRobert S Kahn
Division of General and Community Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1801-8. 2002..This study examined the patterns and correlates of maternal smoking before, during, and after pregnancy...
- Macrophage migration-inhibitory factor is elevated in pregnant women with gestational diabetes mellitusOzgur Yilmaz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akhisar State Hospital, Akhisar, Manisa, Turkey
Gynecol Endocrinol 28:76-9. 2012..However, serum MIF levels in gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) have not yet been investigated. To address this question, we performed a prospective study between a group of pregnant women with GDM and healthy pregnant controls.
- Elevated risk of adverse obstetric outcomes in pregnant women with depressionDeborah R Kim
Department of Psychiatry and Penn Center for Women s Behavioral Wellness, Perelman School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 16:475-82. 2013..Given the retrospective study design and small sample size, these findings should be confirmed in a prospective cohort study. ..
- Studying the infant feeding intentions of pregnant women experiencing material deprivation: methodology of the Looking at Infant Feeding Today (LIFT) studyBrian McMillan
University of York, Heslington, York, UK
Soc Sci Med 68:845-9. 2009..This short report describes the novel methodology used to obtain data from a sample of pregnant women who are traditionally 'hard-to-reach' in deprived areas...
- Anti-D in pregnant women with the RHD(IVS3+1G>A)-associated DEL phenotypeGlenn J Gardener
Centre for Maternal Fetal Medicine, Mater Mothers Hospital, Mater Health Services, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Transfusion 52:2016-9. 2012b>Pregnant women with the DEL phenotype appear to be D- by routine serology. Women with DEL phenotypes that show a partial D-like epitope loss may develop anti-D...
- Minor ailments in pregnancy are not a minor concern for pregnant women: a morbidity assessment survey in rural Sri LankaSuneth Buddhika Agampodi
Maternal and Child Health Research Unit, Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Allied Sciences, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Saliya pura, Sri Lanka
PLoS ONE 8:e64214. 2013..Although maternal mortality has become a major focus on global public health agenda, maternal morbidity is a neglected area of research. The purpose of this paper is to present the burden of acute maternal illness during pregnancy...
- Violence against pregnant women can increase the risk of child abuse: a longitudinal studyKo Ling Chan
Department of Social Work and Social Administration, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Child Abuse Negl 36:275-84. 2012To assess the impact of intimate partner violence (IPV) against pregnant women on subsequent perpetration of child abuse and neglect (CAN) by parents; and to test the mediation effect of recent IPV on the link between IPV during pregnancy ..
- Vaccination patterns in pregnant women during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic: a population-based study in Ontario, CanadaNing Liu
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, ON
Can J Public Health 103:e353-8. 2012Influenza vaccination rate among pregnant women has typically been low, and there is little population-based information on predictors of vaccination uptake within this group...
- The impact of the catastrophic earthquake in China's Sichuan province on the mental health of pregnant womenZhiyong Qu
School of Social Development and Public Policy, China Institute of Health, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
J Affect Disord 136:117-23. 2012..among the survivors, but little is known about the impact of the Sichuan earthquake on the mental health of pregnant women in the area...
- Carrier screening for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) in 107,611 pregnant women during the period 2005-2009: a prospective population-based cohort studyYi Ning Su
Graduate Institute of Clinical Genomics, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e17067. 2011..Large studies are needed to determine the feasibility, benefits, and costs of such a program...
- Prevalence and genetic diversity of hepatitis B and delta viruses in pregnant women in Gabon: molecular evidence that hepatitis delta virus clade 8 originates from and is endemic in central AfricaMaria Makuwa
Laboratoire de Virologie, Centre International de Recherches Medicales, BP 769, Franceville, Gabon
J Clin Microbiol 46:754-6. 2008Hepatitis B virus (HBV) surface antigen (HBsAg) was found in 9.2% of 1,186 pregnant women from Gabon, of whom 10.1% had the HBe antigen and 89.9% had anti-HBe antibodies. Antibodies to the hepatitis delta virus (HDV) were found in 15...
- The normalisation of disrupted attentional processing of infant distress in depressed pregnant women following Cognitive Behavioural TherapyRebecca M Pearson
Academic Unit of Psychiatry, Oakfield House, Oakfield Grove, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2BN, UK
J Affect Disord 145:208-13. 2013..This may explain why depression disrupts maternal behaviour and ultimately child outcomes. Understanding and improving such processing, in depressed mothers as early as possible is thus important...
- Paying women to quit smoking during pregnancy? Acceptability among pregnant womenMarita Lynagh
School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, David Maddison Building, Cnr King and Watt Streets, Newcastle, NSW 2300, Australia
Nicotine Tob Res 13:1029-36. 2011..This paper reports on the acceptability of incentives for reducing smoking in pregnant women and the perceived size of incentive that would encourage smoking cessation during pregnancy.
- Association of COMT Val(108/158)Met genotype and cigarette smoking in pregnant womenMarcus R Munafo
School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, 12a Priory Road, Bristol BS8 1TU, UK
Nicotine Tob Res 13:55-63. 2011..While the COMT gene is therefore one of the more promising candidate genes for smoking behavior, some inconsistencies have begun to emerge...
- Evaluation of StrepB carrot broth versus Lim broth for detection of group B Streptococcus colonization status of near-term pregnant womenD L Church
Division of Microbiology, Calgary Laboratory Services, Calgary Health Region and the University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta T2L 2K8, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 46:2780-2. 2008..versus group B Lim broth (LIM) for detection of group B streptococcus (GBS) colonization status in near-term pregnant women (35 to 37 weeks of gestation) was evaluated...
- Testing the fathers: carrying out HIV and STI tests on partners of pregnant womenR Dhairyawan
Department of Sexual Health, Homerton Hospital, Homerton Row, London E9 6SR, UK
Sex Transm Infect 88:184-6. 2012..The authors report on a pilot initiative for sexual health and HIV screening for male partners of women attending antenatal ultrasound examination at Homerton Hospital, London...
- The relationship between antidepressant use and smoking cessation in pregnant women in treatment for substance abuseMargaret S Chisolm
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36:46-51. 2010Bupropion's efficacy for smoking cessation in pregnant women is unknown.
- Everyday life memory deficits in pregnant womenCarrie Cuttler
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can J Exp Psychol 65:27-37. 2011Converging evidence indicates that pregnant women report experiencing problems with memory, but the results of studies using objective measures are ambiguous...
- A study of the teratogenic and fetotoxic effects of large doses of amobarbital used for a suicide attempt by 14 pregnant womenD Petik
Foundation for the Community Control of Hereditary Diseases, Budapest, Hungary
Toxicol Ind Health 24:79-85. 2008..Self-poisoned pregnant women were identified from patients of the Department of Toxicology Internal Medicine, Korányi Hospital, Budapest, ..
- [Pregnant women's perceptions of the Family Health Program concerning barriers to dental care in Pernambuco, Brazil]Olga Maria Ramalho de Albuquerque
Universidade de Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 20:789-96. 2004This study focused on barriers to dental care for pregnant women registered with the Health Family Program in Cabo de Santo Agostinho, Pernambuco, Brazil. A qualitative approach using three focal groups was adopted...
- Intimate Partner Violence Among Low-Income Pregnant Women: Multilevel AnalysisQing Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..Studies on pregnant women mainly focused on individual victim risk factors...
- Vaccine Development for Falciparum Malaria in Pregnant Women and Their OffspringIan C Michelow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Candidate vaccine proteins will be screened, confirmed and selected for clinical trials using pioneering molecular tools and blood samples from pregnant African women and their infants. ..
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and birth outcomes in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposed work presents a unique opportunity to study those mechanisms in a new cohort of 800 pregnant women residing in diverse regions of Mexico City, a mega-city with high air pollution levels...
- Chronic nicotine and synaptic transmission in brainstem respiratory neuronsRALPH FRANK FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): At least 20% of pregnant women smoke, and their offspring have a higher than normal incidence of impaired cardiac function, autonomic nervous system disorders, sleep disorders, delayed speech and ..
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..type 2 inhibitors (finasteride) are serious drawbacks to their repeated use, and some are contraindicated in pregnant women. While acne vulgaris is the most prevalent skin disorder in humans, the other diseases are also relatively ..
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-CCC-LeadCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Smoking during pregnancy remains a major public health problem as at least 12% of pregnant women cannot quit smoking during pregnancy...
- Community Participation Research of Breastfeeding Disparities in African AmericanTamar Ringel Kulka; Fiscal Year: 2009..in Durham County as well as primary data collected via focus groups with and surveys of African American pregnant women, African American women of reproductive age, partners of African American females of reproductive age, ..
- Role of the Mammalian Siderophore in Cellular Iron Metabolism and ErythropoiesisLaxminarayana R Devireddy; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: Iron deficiency anemia is the most common form of anemia affects about one in five women, half of pregnant women, 3 percent of men in the United States...
- Molecular Mechanisms of Parvovirus Gene Expression and ReplicationJianming Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Human parvovirus B19 (B19V) infection causes hydrops fetalis in pregnant women during the second- trimester...
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-DCCCynthia D Morris; Fiscal Year: 2013..Smoking during pregnancy remains a major public health problem as at least 12% of pregnant women cannot quit smoking during pregnancy...
- Severe H1N1 Influenza Infection During Pregnancy: Pathophysiologic MechanismsMark Phillippe; Fiscal Year: 2010..a pregnant woman;an event consistent with the clinically recognized increase in morbidity and mortality for pregnant women who become infected with influenza...
- Mechanisms of ethanol-induced neurodevelopmental effectsMarina Guizzetti; Fiscal Year: 2011..a regular component of the diet, our studies could potentially lead to the revision of dietary guidelines for pregnant women at risk...
- The Impact of Sleep-Disordered Breathing on Adverse Pregnancy OutcomesLOUISE M O apos BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..snoring is associated with objective measures of respiratory events from polysomnography in a sample of pregnant women. Aim 1 will compare the cross-sectional frequencies of snoring and other SDB symptoms among 1400 third-..
- Human developmental toxicity of metal mixture exposure from e-waste recyclingAimin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The application will address this global health problem by recruiting 600 pregnant women (300 from an e-waste recycling site and 300 from a control site in China) and following up to 9 months ..
- Flame Retardant and Adverse Perinatal Outcome (FRAPO)Morgan R Peltier; Fiscal Year: 2013..PBDEs are present in the plasma of almost all pregnant women. They have also been isolated from the placenta, umbilical chord, amniotic fluid and fetal membranes but their ..
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY - CACHE COUNTY STUDY CENTEREdward Clark; Fiscal Year: 2012..the focus of the study includes assessment of the impact of exposures that occur early in pregnancy, both pregnant women and their partners, and women of childbearing age, comprise the initial target population for enrollment...
- Maternal Obesity affects AMP-Kinase in Muscle Cell DifferentiationMin Du; Fiscal Year: 2013..and its close association with obesity and T2D, such intervention will help the increasing number of obese pregnant women in this country to deliver healthy children...
- Climate Change and Adverse Birth Outcomes: Assessing the Vulnerability of PregnanShao Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, the study will assess whether pregnant women with certain chronic diseases, those taking heat-sensitizing medications, those of low socioeconomic status, ..
- Graves'Disease Therapy Risks to Mother and FetusScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..and the absence of such reports related to PTU use, PTU has been recommended as the drug-of-choice for pregnant women with GD...
- Role of Physico-chemical Properties in the Reprotoxicity of Inhaled Cd NP.JUDITH TERRY ZELIKOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..f., Preliminary studies);large numbers of pregnant women will potentially be exposed to Cd-associated nanomaterials;bulk Cd, a potent estrogen mimic, concentrates in ..
- DHA, Inflammation, and Insulin Sensitivity in Obese Pregnant WomenDebra Krummel; Fiscal Year: 2009..The aim of our study is to supplement the diet of obese pregnant women with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a safe, low cost, readily available dietary component that we have shown is ..
- NEWBORN IRON DEFICIENCYMichael K Georgieff; Fiscal Year: 2013..is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies worldwide, affecting two billion people and up to 30% of all pregnant women and their offspring. It affects at least 3 major aspects of early brain development in the offspring...
- Iodine Nutrition and Thyroid Disease During Pregnancy and LactationANGELA MEI TIN LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..results of this research will have important public health implications for thyroid function screening among pregnant women and adequate maternal iodine nutrition during pregnancy and lactation...
- Human Decidual Leukocytes and Their Placental LigandsJACK STROMINGER; Fiscal Year: 2009..and that express an unusual Class I MHC protein of unknown function, the HLA-G dimer, that is found only in pregnant women and apes...
- Air Pollution, Inflammation and Preterm Birth: A Mechanistic Study in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2012..This proposed work presents a unique opportunity to study those mechanisms in a new cohort of 800 pregnant women residing in diverse regions of Mexico City, a mega-city with high air pollution levels...
- Reducing Preterm Births in Underserved Pregnant WomenJAMES G CHRISTIAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..If the proposed system proves to be effective in reducing preterm births it can improve maternal and child quality of life as well as reduce the economic burden of preterm births in the U.S. ..
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: Expression of RHD in the Fetus?Pirooz Eghtesady; Fiscal Year: 2013..To extend these studies, we will compare groups of pregnant women referred for fetal echocardiography (echo) and found to have a pregnancy affected by (1) HLHS;(2) congenital ..
- Nikkomycin Z treatment of early coccidioidal pneumonia: Phase II clinical trialDAVID LARWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2010..at particular risk are immunosuppressed patients such as those with AIDS or recipients of organ transplants, pregnant women, the elderly and military personnel who train in the endemic desert regions...
- Development of a Univalent Vaccine Against Group B Streptococci InfectionStephen K Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent studies demonstrate that up to 24% of pregnant women receive antibiotics prophylactically for GBS...
- Development of a mouse model of obesity in pregnancyThomas Jansson; Fiscal Year: 2009..content prior to mating and throughout pregnancy will result in a metabolic profile similar to that of obese pregnant women, up-regulation of placental nutrient transport and fetal overgrowth...
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Pregnant Women with Depressive DisorderDeborah Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..of research focusing on the treatment and predictors of treatment response for major psychiatric disorders in pregnant women;2) To develop the translational aspects of her clinical research program by fully incorporating a ..
- Functional significance of Siglec-6, a novel leptin receptor, in human placentalVirginia Winn; Fiscal Year: 2013..is a disorder that affects four to eight percent of pregnancies and is a leading cause of death among pregnant women worldwide...
- Weight management for improved pregnancy outcomesVictor J Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2012..Whereas morbid obesity was once rare among pregnant women, a rapidly increasing proportion of obstetrics patients now have levels of obesity which dramatically increase ..
- Antiviral prophylaxis to prevent perinatal transmission of HBV in ThailandGONZAGUE JOSEPH JOURDAIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..of each of two drugs, tenofovir and lamivudine, versus placebo, given to hepatitis B (HB) chronically infected pregnant women with a positive HBeAg test and normal liver function tests, from 28 weeks'gestation until two months ..
- Transforming Women's Health: Discovery, Development, and DeliveryEllen M Daley; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specifically in Florida, women's oral-health disparities are evident: pregnant women have higher adverse rates in health outcomes (i.e...
- Genetic Manipulation of Unreaplasma spp. Infecting Humans using Synthetic GenomicJOHN IRVIN GLASS; Fiscal Year: 2013..and the best drugs for ureaplasma treatment, fluoroquinolones and tetracyclines, are not recommended for pregnant women or children...
- Angiogenic factors, abnormal placentation and adverse pregnancy outcomesSarosh Rana; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Preeclampsia (PE) is the most common medical complication of pregnancy and affects 5-10% of pregnant women. It is the leading cause of maternal death in developing countries and premature delivery in developed nations...
- GWA Mapping: Maternal Metabolism-Birth Weight InteractionsWILLIAM LOWE; Fiscal Year: 2009..quality phenotypic data related to fetal growth and maternal glucose metabolism has been collected from 25,000 pregnant women of varied racial and sociodemographic backgrounds using standardized protocols that were uniform across ..
- Effects of Maternal Influenza Immunization: A Field Trial in Guatemala'Saad B Omer; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Infections during pregnancy can cause serious illness in pregnant women and their infants and can have an adverse impact on fetal growth and development...
- A Rapid Point-of-care Diagnostic for C. trachomatis STDsRichard F Selden; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dean, and the molecular biological and microfluidic expertise of Dr. Selden, the application provides a unique collaborative opportunity to finally obtain a rapid nucleic-acid based POC diagnostic for C. trachomatis. ..
- Anti-Phospholipid Multiplex For Pathologic EpitopesPaul O Neilsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..D. Ware Branch, M.D. (University of Utah) is a world-renowned clinical researcher specializing in treating pregnant women who suffer from APS and recurrent pregnancy loss. With the addition of Dr. Matthew Rondina, M.D...
- NICHD INTERNATIONAL & DOMESTIC PEDIATRIC &MATERNAL HIV STUDIES COORDINATING CTRCAROL NESEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..preventing and treating HIV infection and its complications in newborns, infants, children, adolescents, and pregnant women. Since 1987, has funded the NICHD Network, currently composed of 25 domestic sites in 13 states and ..
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY SUPPORTBetty Wood; Fiscal Year: 2012..the focus of the study includes assessment of the impact of exposures that occur early in pregnancy, both pregnant women and their partners, and women of childbearing age, comprise the initial target population for enrollment...
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY -CLINICAL BIOLOGICAL ANALYSISVELAZQUEZ FRANCISCO; Fiscal Year: 2011..the focus of the study includes assessment of the impact of exposures that occur early in pregnancy, both pregnant women and their partners, and women of childbearing age, comprise the initial target population for enrollment...
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY SUPPORTBetty Wood; Fiscal Year: 2011
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY SUPPORTBetty Wood; Fiscal Year: 2013
- Pregnancy and EARly Lifestyle improvement Study (PEARLS)Kaumudi J Joshipura; Fiscal Year: 2013..S.. The intervention will be conducted in pregnant women and their infants, focusing on improving: (1) physical activity levels, (2) diet quality and calori intake, (3)..
- Predictors of Prenatal Care Providers Counseling Women on Tobacco Use/ExposureBETH LEONG PINELES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Approximately 40% of pregnant women are exposed to tobacco smoke during pregnancy through either active or passive smoking...
- Identifying Biomarkers for Post-Partum Depression in African-American WomenPatrick F Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Practically, pregnant women are straight-forward to identify, as they have frequent contact with the healthcare system and are willing to ..
- Development of an Inhibitor of Toxoplasma gondiiRichard D Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..gondii, as treatments for toxoplasmosis which affects HIV/AIDS patients. ..
- Regulation of Maternal Fuel Supply and Neonatal AdiposityLINDA ANNE BARBOUR; Fiscal Year: 2013..further investigate FFA availability as a key fetal fuel in understanding neonatal adiposity in lean and obese pregnant women with and without GDM, both early and late in gestation...
- Role of endocrine-disrupting chemicals and social stress on perinatal outcomesAmi R Zota; Fiscal Year: 2012..disruption and consequent perinatal outcomes among a population of socioeconomically and racially diverse pregnant women. This work is particularly innovative as both PBDEs and psychosocial stress can impact the thyroid system, ..
- Randomized Trial of Antenatal Late Preterm Steroids (ALPS) - Clinical CoordinatinRonald Wapner; Fiscal Year: 2012..The recommendation of the 1994 NIH Consensus Conference was that all pregnant women between 24 and 33 completed weeks of gestation who are at risk of preterm delivery within 7 days should be ..
- Comparative safety &effectiveness of antihypertensive medications in pregnancyBRIAN THOMAS BATEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Approximately 3-4% of all pregnant women will be exposed to antihypertensive medications during pregnancy...
- Developmental neurotoxicity of sarin and soman in guinea pigsEdson X Albuquerque; Fiscal Year: 2012..and the safety of antidotes such as atropine and pralidoxime, commonly used against acute OP toxicity, in pregnant women and the developing fetuses are hitherto unknown...
- Phthalate Exposure and Pregnancy OutcomeT Peter Stein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The subject population is a cohort of 1500 low income, minority pregnant women from Camden, New Jersey...
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY COORDINATING CENTERElaine D Eaker; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Human Decidual Leukocytes and Their Placental LigandsJack L Strominger; Fiscal Year: 2013..EVT express an unusual Class I MHC protein of unknown function, the HLA-G dimer that is found only in pregnant women and apes...
- Maternal genitourinary infections and adverse perinatal outcomesAbdullah Hel Baqui; Fiscal Year: 2013..Community health workers (CHWs) (n=32), one for approximately 120 pregnant women/year, will be randomized either to provide the intervention or standard antenatal and postnatal care...
- Novel histone biotinylation sites and relationships to other epigenetic marksJANOS contact ZEMPLENI; Fiscal Year: 2010..deficiency is prevalent among Americans, and moderate biotin deficiency has been observed in up to 50% of pregnant women. Previous studies suggest that biotinylation of histones plays a critical role in the repression of ..
- Predictors of Dietary Quality in Low-Income Pregnant WomenEileen R Fowles; Fiscal Year: 2010..More effective targeted strategies initiated within this narrow window of time may reduce the number of low birth weight infants and improve obstetrical outcomes. ..
- Malaria treatment outcomes and pharmacokinetics in HIV-infected pregnant womenMYAING MYAING NYUNT; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, despite increasing use of the drug in pregnant women in many endemic countries following the WHO recommendation, knowledge on the pharmacokinetics, safety and ..
- Azithromycin Combination Therapy in Resistant MalariaCharles Knirsch; Fiscal Year: 2000..Artesunate, also usually given for 3 days, is again not curative. Pregnant women and young children bear the brunt of this disease, and constitute a particularly difficult treatment problem ..
- CD07-005, Translating Research into the Jade Ribbon CampaignSamuel So; Fiscal Year: 2009..guidelines, and to translate the ACIP recommendations into concrete implementation of prevention services for pregnant women infected with HBV, their newborn infants, and other household and sexual contacts...
- Towards Understanding the Morbidity of HEV InfectionMohamed Tarek Shata; Fiscal Year: 2007..hepatitis (AVH) in many lesser developed countries (LDC), with frequent reports of fulminant hepatitis in pregnant women. Although HEV- caused AVH is not endemic in the US, the prevalence of antibodies to HEV (anti-HEV) is as high ..
- Comparative effectiveness of diabetes prevention strategies in women with GDMAssiamira Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2010..of Kaiser Permanente Northern California (KP) will participate and data will be collected for more than 2,400 pregnant women with GDM (36% Asian, 31% Hispanic, 25% white, 4% African American and 5% other ethnic groups)...
- Preventing Pregnancy Malaria: Maternal-Infant OutcomesMichal Fried; Fiscal Year: 2009..grant application have been conducting longitudinal studies and interventional trials of antimalarial drugs in pregnant women and young children in Tanzania...
- Assessment of Nicotine Metabolism Among Underserved Pregnant Women from NE SCRIPTDonna Parker; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Assessment of Nicotine Metabolism Among Underserved Pregnant Women from NE SCRIPT Principal Investigator: Parker, Donna R...
- Oral Health Promotion During Prenancy in a Group Prenatal Care ModelSALLY HENDERSON ADAMS; Fiscal Year: 2010..concerns, yet dental care utilization rates, especially among underserved women;indicate that most low-income pregnant women do not receive dental care...
- US STUDY OF SEMEN QUALITY IN PARTNERS OF PREGNANT WOMENShanna Swan; Fiscal Year: 2001..to conduct a multi-center study of semen and serum biomarkers of male reproductive function in partners of pregnant women, recruited from four urban U.S. centers. This proposed study would constitute the U.S...
- HBAA--A MARKER OF FETAL ALCOHOL EXPOSURELewis Holmes; Fiscal Year: 1993..pilot study would be the first evaluation of HbAA as a potential marker of previous alcohol consumption in pregnant women. Growth retardation and microcephaly are the most common effects of prenatal exposure to an excessive amount ..
- EXTENDED CASE MANAGEMENT OF COCAINE ADDICTED PREGNANCYFarrokh Alemi; Fiscal Year: 1993..to examine if extended case management can correct deficiencies in existing clinical programs for drug abusing pregnant women. We propose to provide and link a broad array of services including medical care, mental health treatment, ..
- Does EPA or DHA prevent depressive symptoms in pregnancy and postpartum?Ellen Mozurkewich; Fiscal Year: 2011..treatment or prevention strategy for MDD in non-pregnant individuals, and may have beneficial effects in pregnant women. Although published observational studies in the psychiatric literature suggest that maternal DHA deficiency ..
- Fighting Malaria with Microfinance: Evidence from IndiaAlessandro Tarozzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..bednets (ITNs) are one of the most effective means of malaria prevention, particularly among pregnant women and young children...
- HIV and Perinatal Depression in BrazilJUDITH KAREN BASS; Fiscal Year: 2010..for conducting prospective, focused, straight-forward studies of this complex global problem: >98% of pregnant women receive free effective HIV-treatment;mother-to-child HIV transmission rates are <1%;integration of our ..
- A Model Statewide Trial to Detect and Treat Maternal Hypothyroidism in PregnancyJames Haddow; Fiscal Year: 2009..Program goals are to: provide TSH testing to at least 70% of pregnant women in Greater Providence provide TSH testing to at least 50% of pregnant women elsewhere in RI test 70% of ..
- The Iowa Flood Study: Perinatal Effects of a Natural DisasterMICHAEL WILLIAM O apos HARA; Fiscal Year: 2010..To date, however, there have been no prospective studies of pregnant women exposed to a sudden-onset natural disaster that have been able to elucidate the biopsychosocial mechanisms ..
- Regulation of genes involved in hepatic drug elimination by female hormonesHyunyoung Jeong; Fiscal Year: 2009During pregnancy, it is ideal for pregnant women to avoid use of medications to protect the developing fetus from any potential adverse effects...
- RECEPTIVITY TO SICKLE/THAL SCREENING DURING PREGNANCYPeter Rowley; Fiscal Year: 1990..The purpose of this continuing project is to ascertain the receptivity of pregnant women to unsolicited identification as hemoglobinopathy carriers...
- Mechanisms By Which Maternal And Fetal Drug Exposure Is*Jashvant Unadkat; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pregnant women and their fetuses are therapeutic "orphans." As recently stated by Dr...
- FAILURE TO MODULATE T & NK CELL ZETA EXPRESSION IN RSADouglas Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..Impairment to complete failure to induce NK and T cell dysfunction in some pregnant women could be for poor pregnancy outcomes from pre-term labor to fetal death...
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy: a Breastfeeding Intervention for Pregnant WomenDebra Bogen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Future Direction: These data will support a multi-site R01 grant where sites that serve pregnant women on MMT can be randomly assigned to receive (or not receive) the breastfeeding intervention...